Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: None of the characters belong to me--just borrowing them.
Thank you for not suing.


"Double" Pretending

part V
by Rachel




A couple of the women victims frequented the O’Malley’s Bar so Miss Parker and Rachel decided to give it a visit. They brought Broots with them. They figured he’s not much of a threat to anyone. John, the other FBI agent sat in a corner booth and Jarod sat on the other end of the bar. The women sat invitingly at the bar, flirting with everyone that was interested--and there were many that were interested. They found relief from an elderly man--he was there to offer friendly conversation--without being two-faced and irritatingly boorish. He joined them at a table, talking, laughing, getting to know each other. They met him earlier at the park while they were jogging. He was also a jogger. For a man in his sixties, he was in pretty good shape. Apparently, one of the victims jogged religiously at that park, so Miss Parker and Rachel ran that morning. They dressed similarly and had their hair tied the same way. They wore sunglasses, making them look even more alike. They have to make it easy for the target, or targets, to notice them. Tonight, they both wore a short black dress--shorter than Rachel preferred, but Miss Parker insisted. Their hair hung gently down to their shoulders. They’ve had a couple of twins approach them, fitting the profile that Rachel came up with. Jarod made a mental note of everyone who talked to the two women. The older man eventually left their company to mingle with other patrons. Broots stayed at the bar talking to a girl. Miss Parker would occasionally glance at Jarod, who was shaking his head and glaring. She would smile at him and go on with her seduction of every sorry man that came around. Rachel wasn’t doing that bad at it, either. Her attention was constantly on Jarod, though, wishing he would just come over and take her away.

Finally, John and Jarod got up from their observation station and approached the two women, asking them to dance.

„Have you sensed anything?" Jarod asked Rachel as she held on to him tightly.

„I keep seeing pictures of a boy being beaten and his mirror image standing, just watching."

„Isn’t that what you and Max discovered? That there are two men involved?
Possibly twins?"

„Yes, thanks to her friend, Angelo. Two men will be harder to bait. I sense they were physically abused as a child, tormented by the past. Probably beaten by their mother and taking it out on women to get back at her."

„I don’t like this at all." Jarod protested. „You shouldn’t be involved in this like this. I’m going to have a talk with Max."

„It won’t do you any good. She’s very committed to this case. But you can try."

Jarod and Rachel danced closer to John and Miss Parker and Jarod offered to switch dancing partners. John and Rachel decided to sit this one out, but Rachel kept her eyes on them.

Jarod and Miss Parker danced closely, but not too closely--wouldn’t want anyone to get suspicious.

„Is she still looking?" Miss Parker asked.

„Yes." Jarod kept his face full of concern and determination. He can’t look like he’s enjoying having her in his arms, even though that’s exactly how he’s feeling. „I’m supposed to be talking you out of this insane idea of baiting a killer."

„I don’t want to talk about work, I just want to enjoy being in your arms."

„I wish I could hold you tighter and kiss you, but I have to will myself to look like I’m not enjoying this."

„How strong is your will, Jarod?" Miss Parker asked mischievously, knowing Rachel can’t see her face or see what she’ saying to Jarod.

„I have will of steel, Parker. You can’t move me." Jarod responded, still sporting a stone-cast face, even throwing in a frustrated look now and then.

Miss Parker whispered seductively in his ear, giving him shivers. „Have I told you today that I love you? Why don’t you take me home and rip my clothes off and we can make hhhot, wild, paaassionate love together? You can plant wet, warm kisses all over my body….. You’re breathing funny, Jarod." She smiled.

Jarod spun her around so now his back is to Rachel. „Your turn."

„Bring it on, „ she said through gritted teeth, pretending to look annoyed and bored.

Jarod pressed on her lower back, making her feel his hardness and he huskily breathe on her neck. „You feel that? It’s seeking for your pleasure. I can taste your breast in my mouth, Parker. I want to kiss every inch of your body, molding it into mine…."

‘Damn! I just closed my eyes in ecstasy. Hope she didn’t see that,’ Miss Parker thought. „We’re done!" She said abruptly, pushing away from him.

„You are so weak," Jarod grinned.

They walked in a huff toward the table where Rachel and John were sitting. They sat down, glaring at each other. Rachel and John were mystified, but they sat in silence, the tension thick.

„What’s going on?" Rachel finally asked.

„Just tell your cocky boyfriend here (pointing at Jarod) to do his job. If he can’t handle it, leave it to the capable ones. If he doesn’t like the way we do things, he can disappear." Miss Parker said angrily. „I’m going home." She stood up and headed toward Broots. She told him to stay. Looks like he was having a good time talking to the same girl he’s been talking to since they got there. She left the room without giving anyone a second look.

Jarod gritted his teeth in exasperation, receiving sympathy looks from John and Rachel. „She is so infuriating! Such a stubborn, over-bearing……."

„Calm down, Jarod," Rachel said reassuringly. „I told you she was committed to this case. I really admire her for her determination."

„That makes one of us."

Jarod’s beeper went off and he reached for it quickly to turn it off after reading the message, giving Rachel an apologetic look.

„The hospital?" she asked. He really was volunteering at the local hospital to convince Malone and the other FBI agents that he was trustworthy and involved in a worthy cause to quench their suspicions of him. But this time, the message was from Miss Parker. It simply said: „You coming?"

„I have to go." Jarod said, and he left. John offered to take Rachel home. Rachel was unsure more than ever. Jarod has been distracted lately and she can’t figure out why. ‘It can’t be about Max,’ she thought, ‘the woman irritates the hell out of him. Maybe it IS about Max.’ Rachel became worried. Two nights has passed and another one is about over and Jarod still hasn’t spent the night with her. To think about it, he hasn’t even kissed her on the mouth AT ALL.

***

In the shadows of the dimly lit bar room, a man sat talking on his cell phone. „I saw them. They’re perfect. Beautiful, strong, perfect. The balding man won’t be trouble. But the other two…. Didn’t you see them watching the women at the park? How could they possibly know about anything? I don’t give a damn if this smells of a set up--makes it that much more fulfilling. We’re smarter and stronger--we can handle them. The pleasure of seeing them suffer is going to be worth it all. Keep low and keep watching. We’ll make our move soon enough."

*************