Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: None of the characters belong to me--just borrowing them.
Thank you for not suing.



"Double" Pretending

part IV
by Rachel




After finally getting it out of their system, Jarod and Miss Parker went back into the living room casually, like nothing unusual transpired.

„That’s a beautiful picture you have in the bathroom, Rachel," Miss Parker said, combing her fingers through her hair, making it look like she was freshening up. Good cover, Miss Parker. She couldn’t look at Jarod in fear of losing it.

Rachel looked at Jarod. It was his turn to explain. Looking a little worried at first, he smiled at Rachel and that eased her uneasiness. „I thought I heard something outside. I just checked it out. I know how worried you get," Jarod assured her, flashing her a grin. She melted in gratefulness.

„You said you had your personal guardian angel?" Rachel addressed Miss Parker, „well, I have Jarod." Rachel bragged. Jarod looked at Miss Parker and gave her a quick grin. She patronizingly smiled back at Rachel.

„I have coffee ready," Rachel announced, walking in front of Jarod and Miss Parker. Jarod walked closely next to Miss Parker and grabbed her butt playfully. She jumped a little and pushed passed him. Now she REALLY wants to get out of there and be alone with him.

They clued Jarod in on the plan. Miss Parker could tell he disapproved immensely. He was not going to be happy with her. They talked well into the night. Jarod fell asleep on the couch while the women talked about their plan of action for the next couple of days to bait the killer. He didn't have much to say anyway. Miss Parker was always cutting him off--making sure he didn't have a chance to disagree or argue. Finally, Miss Parker stood up to stretch and decided it was time to go. She made a head gesture towards Jarod, questioning what they should do about him. Rachel smiled and caressed his cheeks lightly, thinking he would just stay there with her. Jarod stirred awake and looked at Rachel’s smiling face, then turned to look at Miss Parker’s expectant face. Jarod got up. „Hey ladies, hate to be a party pooper but I have something I have to take care of."

„I’m on my way out, too," Miss Parker said.

„Would you mind giving me a ride?" Jarod asked Miss Parker.

„Don’t mind at all," Miss Parker responded, the whole time she and Jarod avoiding Rachel’s look of disappointment.

„Jarod," Rachel began, sounding like she was begging, „I thought maybe…."

„I’ll see you tomorrow, alright?" Jarod cupped her chin and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

„Thanks for the coffee, Rachel. I’ll see you tomorrow morning." Miss Parker looked at her watch, „actually, I’ll see later this morning." Rachel could only nod.

Jarod and Miss Parker headed out the door, leaving Rachel alone. Jarod peeked his head back in and told her to lock the door behind him. Rachel obeyed, as if in a trance. Her ideas of being with him were just snuffed out. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow night.

Jarod and Miss Parker walked quickly out of the building and into her car, anticipating the time the two of them will spend together.

"Gee, Jarod, I thought you'd never shut up so we could get out of there, " she joked. She saw concern and a touch of anger in his eyes. She felt a little guilty for keeping him out of the loop with her plans. She pouted and tried to apologize but he just sat there in silence. She started to put the key in the ignition but stopped abruptly. She turned and grabbed Jarod by the neck and kissed him deeply and passionately, which he returned eagerly. "I've missed you so much," they whispered to each other between kisses. After he broke the kiss, he whispered breathlessly in her ear, "Can we stop somewhere and get some cherries and whipped cream?"

****

THE NEXT DAY

„Thanks for letting us in here, Rachel" Miss Parker said as they entered the room with the recent victims’ bodies. Miss Parker was holding on to Broot’s arm, practically dragging him, and Sydney was leading Angelo by the arm as well. Angelo cowered.

„Grace, this is Max. She’ll be working on the case with us."

„Nice to meet you, Max," Grace greeted, looking warningly at the three men who came with her.

„Nice to meet you," Miss Parker extended her hand.

„What exactly is it that Angelo can do?" Rachel asked

„He’s an empath. He feels things. He feels what another person feels or felt by simply touching." Miss Parker explained.

Rachel walked slowly toward Angelo and held out her hand for him. Angelo sank into Sydney, but shyly and timidly reached out to touch Rachel’s hand. Angelo smiled. Then he hurriedly grabbed Sydney’s arm and led him to a corner away from everyone.

„Sydney," Angelo said, still smiling, „two women, one man."

„Yes, Angelo, we’re trying to solve the murder of two women by a man."

„No, no, no, Sydney," Angelo protested. „Two women, and……Jarod."

Sydney laughed. „Yes, Angelo. Don’t tell Rachel. It’s a secret."

„Angelo won’t tell."

Sydney explained to Angelo what they wanted him to do and Angelo agreed.

„Sydney! Bring Angelo over here." Miss Parker ordered. She noticed the smirk on Sydney’s face and wondered what could be funny.

Angelo carefully approached one of the bodies and before reaching for it’s hand, he looked over to everyone, asking for approval. They all nodded at him and he took hold of the body’s hand. He scrunched his eyes closed. „Dark."

„Feel pain. Feel fear, much fear." Angelo’s countenance displayed what he felt, what the woman felt. „Hear two voices."

Everyone looked at each other confused. „Two voices?" they all questioned silently.

„Two voices, Angelo?" Miss Parker asked cautiously.

„Yes."

„Must be the voice of the killer and the other woman," Broots tried to reason out.

„No, two voices and……..crying."

„Whose voices, Angelo?"

„Two men. Mirror of each other." Angelo released the hand and opened his eyes, pleading, „Angelo stop. Don’t want to feel anymore."

Miss Parker put a hand on his shoulder, „That’s fine, Angelo." She motioned for Sydney to take him away. Broots followed. He’d had all the dead bodies he could stand.