Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The Centre laboratories sure as hell aren't mine (thank goodness.) Don't sue me for my fascination with their practices though--because they are in fact fictitious!

Summary: They are not people. They are names. They are letters. They are denominations.

Decanting

By Bec-Bec

Watching them is like seeing a plant blossom. They branch out, creating fruit from tender buds. They flesh themselves into new blossoms. And then they bud again. Simple. Natural.

But nothing about this process is natural. Nothing at all.

They aren't plants, they are living organisms. They are children.

Specimen X mixed with specimen Y.

We introduce a sea of Y's to the singular and beautiful X. It becomes penetrated. Its walls are breached. This is X's purpose. It is full. It is happy.

This new XY is then manipulated. It is doused in chemicals. It is made uncomfortable. The pressure builds. And builds. And then there is sweet release. XY buds into another, identical, XY.

The process is repeated. One XY makes two XYs. Two make four. And four make eight. It is math. It is statistics. It is a closed system with controlled variables.

It is science.

At sixty-four, the process is stopped. Any further manipulation leads to unstable and infurtile XYs. We have studied it. We have watched death before birth. We are detached.

Sixty-three XYs will be frozen. One will be introduced to the womb.

One will grow. One will thrive.

It is warm. It is alive. It is human. It is a child.

We decant sixty-three XYs into vials. The vials are frozen. Three rows to one level.

They are labeled with the names and geneology of Specimen X and Specimen Y. They are not people. They are names. They are letters. They are denominations.

They are not…

Parker

...people.

Russell

XYs are not human. They are not children.

They are iced. They are not alive.

"Dr. Fallow, what's in these vials?"

"Flowers... Dead flowers."

We are detached.

Fin

Author's Note: I decided to become obsessed with the Centre's "process" this week. This one is also based on ideas from Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World."