Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I think the characters and stuff belong to someone else. I think. I'm not too sure. Let me check.
Distribution: Anyone can take this story and post it on to their own fan fiction site. Just email me to let me know what sites this story is going to be on.

Summary: The teenage Jarod clone hides out in Roswell, New Mexico. There, Jarod meets his cousin Alex Whitman, who is suffering internally from the misplaced trust he has in Liz Parker. They talk openly about the entire situation, unaware that the rest of the Roswell gang is listening in on them via a listening device planted on Alex. The Roswell gang find out some disturbing things about themselves and each other, while also finding out how much Alex is hurting. And thanks to Jarod, Alex learns their secret.




Simulated Secrets
By Neil da Va'ale




----------------------------------------------------------------
Knock Knock!

It was 10:30am on a Saturday morning. The morning after the rave at the old soap factory. Alex Whitman was in no mood to face anyone, especially if anyone included Liz Parker and now to his dismay, Isabel Evans. The girl of his dreams. Someone he put up on a pedestal only to find that she had fallen short of his expectations. At first, Alex was on an emotional high. Isabel Evans, the girl he had secretly longed for had asked him to meet her there at the party. He could not believe what had happened to him. He had spent years trying to find enough courage just to consider asking her out and SHE had come to him! When he met her there and she said she wanted to be alone with him, needless to say he was flabbergasted! He had wanted to talk with her for so long! Not that he didn't want to make out with her. After all, this was Isabel Evans. Alex always knew that he'd rather get to know Isabel Evans for who she is instead of what she is, which was a stunningly attractive 16 year girl. Although if making out with her did present itself as an option, he'd be a fool not to jump at the chance. But Alex's perception of Isabel had changed.

She had gotten close to him only to find out what he had told Sheriff Valenti. Alex was heartbroken. At that point he just wanted to crawl into the deepest darkest hole he could find and die. Instead he had stormed off only to have gotten arrested alongside with some neighbourhood punks and Liz Parker. At that point he had had enough. He was about to tell Sheriff Valenti everything he knew about Liz and Isabelle and Max, when he caught a glimpse of Liz Parker's eyes, pleading with him not to reveal the details of the conspiracy that he was involved with.

Alex had made a decision not to tell the Sheriff what he knew but even after that, Liz had refused to tell him what was going on. Alex had come home late from the police station, not even bothering to change, he just jumped onto the bed and drifted off to sleep.

Knock Knock!

The sound of the door banging in the morning had woken Alex up. He walked slowly down the stairs, wiping the sleep away from his eyes. The knocking on the door had gotten louder. Alex's vision was blurry as he opened the door. He saw two figures, one tall and the other medium sized.

"Hello Alex" the tall figure seemed to say. Alex may not have recognized the figure, but that
voice he would never forget.

"Uncle Charles?" Alex's eyesight came into focus. Before him stood his Uncle Charles and a boy he had never seen before.

"My god it's been a while Alex! How have you been?"

"I'm pretty good you know. Um...Come in."

Major Charles and the boy stepped inside the Whitman Estate. After offering them breakfast to which they both politely refused, and after catching up with his uncle, Alex decided to ask about the boy.

"Um Uncle Charles?"

"Yes Alex?"

"We've been talking for like over an hour now and well...?" Alex then motioned his hand and eyes towards the boy.

"Oh Alex I'm sorry. Alex, I'd like to introduce you to Jarod."

"Hi Jarod, it's nice to meet you."

"Thank you", Jarod replied. "It's nice to meet you too."

"Alex, Jarod is my...son."

Alex looked at both his Uncle Charles and Jarod, amazed. Uncle Charles then proceeded to tell Alex everything about Jarod. Who he really was. What he is. All the things he was capable of doing and why they were both on the run. Major Charles then proceeded to tell Alex why he was here.

"Alex, listen to me. It is very important that the Centre does not get their hands on Jarod. If they find him, they'll lock him up forever and make him do things. They'll get him to create ideas. Ideas that can hurt alot of innocent people."

Alex only nodded his head in agreement while Major Charles continued.

"Alex, the Centre will stop at nothing to get him back. They've been following us. We're always one step ahead but I realized that if Jarod and I stay together, we'll get caught. Now Jarod, the older Jarod I mean, managed to keep the Centre off our trail for a while, but he can't distract them for long. I've spoken to both your parents and they've agreed to let Jarod stay with you. But I'm asking you as a personal favour to look out for him."
Alex looked at both his uncle and now his "cousin", Jarod.

"Yeah, Uncle Charles, you know I will."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Both of Alex's parents were at a meeting that night. Sheriff Valenti had called his parents and also Liz' parents to discuss the arrest of Liz and Alex the previous night. Dinner had not been made, so Alex decided to take Jarod out to eat. He also had some required reading for an english assignment to do, so he brought a couple or books along in a knapsack. On their way to town, Alex decided to give Jarod the choice of where they should eat. He almost gasped when Jarod suggested the Crashdown Cafe. Although he wasn't really in the mood to see Liz Parker working there, he really couldn't deny Jarod from his first "eating out" experience.

They both walked into the Crashdown. Alex casually walked to an unoccupied booth. It was when he sat down that he noticed Jarod hadn't kept up with him. Jarod was making his way inside the Crashdown slowly, looking around in awe of everything. All the people, the interesting decor, even the menus were interesting. Jarod sat down opposite Alex and commented on their surroundings.

"Alex this place is amazing! I've never seen anything like it in my entire life!"

"Well yeah you probably haven't. You know, you being locked up in that place and all."

"Alex this place is fascinating."

Alex and Jarod both talked for a while, glancing over their menus, deciding what to order.

In the meanwhile, Liz Parker and Maria De Luca were in the back of the cafe cleaning up. They just finished up cleaning when Liz peeks through the door and sees Alex.

"Oh my God."

"What? Is it Max?" Maria then proceeded to torture Liz in a child's voice. "Maybe he wants another smoochie smooch from you Liz."

Liz laughed at Maria's ribbing of her and Max's first kiss, before continuing on a more serious note. "No Maria, it's Alex. He's out there."

"Oh," Maria replied. "Well uh, you're on your own with that one girl." Maria walks up to the door to peek at Alex. She also notices Jarod sitting across from him.

"Check out the guy sitting with Alex! I wonder who he is? He's pretty cute! Where has Alex been hiding him?"

Liz also looks out the door to take a second glance at Alex and his companion before answering Maria.

"Yeah well, he's okay looking, and anyway, I thought you and Michael..."

"...are finished Liz. You see, Michael's not the type who kisses and
never tells, he's the type
who kisses and runs away."

Liz looked on at her best friend in silence before hugging her and replying, "Maria, I'm sorry."

"Ooohh that's okay. Listen, why don't I just get Alex's order okay. Then I'll be able to find out who his hunky friend is."

"Thanks, Maria"

----------------------------------------------------------------

Maria primped herself up before going out to take Alex's order. She reached Alex's table and gave the customary welcome greeting.

"Welcome to the Crashdown Cafe. Can I take your order?" Alex looked up and saw Maria hovering above him. He looked deep into her eyes before replying.

"Hey Maria," he said coldly.

Maria paused for a moment, a little disturbed at the greeting she had received from Alex. There was a moment of awkwardness between both Alex and Maria. It was Jarod who broke the tension.

"Do you two know each other?

There was another awkward silence between them before Alex turned to answer his cousin.

"Uh yeah she and I are...students at the same high school. Jarod this is Maria De Luca. Maria De Luca, this is my cousin Jarod."

Maria extended her right hand out to greet Jarod.

"Hi Jarod. It's nice to meet you." Jarod warmheartedly took her hand.

"Thank you Miss De Luca. It's nice to meet you too."

"Ahh just Maria will do Jarod. Where are you from?"

"Bluecove, Delaware," Jarod replied.

Maria then reached into her alien head shaped apron, fished out her order book and with her pencil at the ready, asked Jarod and Alex, "So what would you like to eat tonight?"

Alex took one last quick glance at the menu before stating his order to Maria.

"I'll just have the house special and a Blood of Alien smoothie. Jarod, what would you like?"

Jarod looked at Maria and Alex with a confused look on his face before replying, "You serve alien blood as a beverage?"

"You've got to be kidding me," Alex said.

"I'm not Alex," Jarod replied. "This is my first hamburger ever."

"How do you like it?"

"I'm never going to want to eat anything else."

Meanwhile at the back of the café, Liz and Maria were chatting away.

"So Maria, how's Alex doing?"

"I'm not really sure," Maria replied. "He wasn't really in the talking mood although Jarod, his cousin seemed really eager to talk."

"That guy is his cousin?"

"Yeah. You know, he seemed to be asking the strangest questions though."

"Like what?"

Maria paused briefly for a moment before continuing:

"Well, he wanted to know what was it like to go to school, how many friends I had, what are they like. It's as if he's never had any of that stuff, you know?"

"That is pretty strange," Liz said. "I didn't even know Alex had a cousin."

"Yeah well anyway, he'll be enrolling at our high school on Monday and I offered to show him around."

Liz looked out the door to stare at Jarod before turning back to Maria.

"Maria, you're not gonna get close to Jarod just to make Michael jealous, are you?"

"Oh please Liz! You know, Michael is SO passe now..."

Liz saw the front entrance of the Crashdown Café open to reveal three familiar faces: Max Evans, his sister Isabel and their friend, Michael Guerin.For Liz Parker, time seemed to slow down whenever she saw Max Evans. Tonight was no exeception. After the wonderful kiss she had shared with him, she knew that they had redefined their relationship. At that point, she knew, that whenever she saw Max Evans, she would be in bliss.

Inside the Crashdown Café, Max scouted around, looking for a booth to sit in with Isabel and Michael. The place was crowded. Max only saw one booth free. They all seated themselves there, and started glancing through the menus.Liz quickly fixed herself up, wanting to look her best for Max and quickly walked through the door to Max's table. Alex in the meantime, had noticed Liz walking towards the booth behind him. They both stared at each other before Alex quickly broke the gaze. Liz sighed to herself before arriving at Max's table.

"Hey guys. What's up?"

Max looked at her with his smouldering eyes that seemed to pierce right through Liz before
replying. "Hi Liz."

Isabel saw the way that Max and Liz both looked at each other wandering to herself if they had both somehow moved from just being friends to something more. She quickly shrugged it off.

"Liz have you talked to Alex since last night?"

"Uhh no Isabel. He really doesn't want to talk to me anymore." Liz then lowered her voice to a
whisper before continuing: "Alex is sitting in the next booth." Isabel quickly got up and peeked into the next booth to see Alex reading a book and enjoying his meal.

She quickly sat back down and quietly spoke to Max and Michael.

"Guys, we should really tell him about us."

Max shook his head before replying.

"Isabel, no. We can't."

Isabel sighed before continuing: "Look Max, we can trust Alex. I just...have this sixth sense about him. I know we don't know all that much about him, except for the fact that he's friends with Maria and Liz, but...he's a good guy. And I know this sounds really weird but...we need him. Because of us, he is now under suspicion from Valenti as well. How is he supposed to protect himself if he doesn't know what he's up against?" Max opened his mouth to answer but it was Michael who spoke up first.

"Isabel, it's bad enough that Maria and Liz are involved." He quickly looked at Liz. "No offence Liz." Michael turned backto Isabel to continue. "But we just can't let anyone else know what we are."

Max calmly nodded his head. "Isabel, Michael's right. For once. It's for the best if Alex doesn't know about us. I know it may not seem like it, but I'm trying to save his life here." Isabel at that point felt defeated. She then composed herself before addressing Max, Michael and Liz.

"Fine. How about I tell it to you this way: Liz and Alex are no longer friends. That means he's got no reason to keep quiet about what he knows about us. Which means at some point in the not-too-distant future, Sheriff Valenti is going to back Alex into something he can't get out of without our help, and he is gonna cave. And let's face it, you're not exactly his favourite person."

Max and Michael both looked at each other.

"I just don't know," Max said. "Look Isabel, we'll think about it okay. Really, we will. In the
meantime, let's just...see how Alex is holding up." They all stood up from where they were sitting and approached Alex. Alex paused from reading his book, looked up and saw Max, Michael and Isabel walking toward him.

"Great, just what I needed," he said to himself.

Jarod noticed too, that three people were approaching their table. He turned to Alex, who seemed to be distracted by their presence. The three strangers and Alex just stared at each other before Alex spoke up in a not-too-polite tone of voice.

"Well well, this is a surprise. Hello Max, Michael." He paused when he looked at Isabel before addressing her.

"Mata Hari."

"Alex," Isabel began. "Let me explain..."

"No," Alex interrupted. "Please don't okay! Listen, I don't know what you three and Liz and Maria are involved in, but I've had enough. So the next time you need blood or help or whatever it is you need to avoid what you're trying to avoid, please don't bother coming to me unless you're all ready to tell me what exactly the hell is going on!" With that said, Alex got up, packed up his stuff and walked out. While Alex was storming out, Michael slipped a small, metallic object inside his knapsack. Jarod quickly finished his meal and stood up to follow his cousin. Before he walked out, Jarod turned to the three of them and held out his hand.

"I'm Jarod. Alex' cousin. It's nice to meet you."

Michael and Isabel sat back down at their booth. Max took Jarod's hand and shook it. "I'm Max Evans," he replied. "It's nice to meet you too." Jarod looked at Max carefully. Something wasn't quite right about him. He wasn't sure what, but there was something about him that Jarod couldn't quite identify.

"I have to go now," Jarod said. "It was nice meeting you, Mr. Evans."

"Yeah, likewise," Max replied. He watched as Jarod walked out the door.

"Something about him..." Max said to himself.

Jarod had a lot of questions for Alex about his friends that Alex was frankly in no mood to answer. Jarod then decided to try a different approach.

"Alex, are you okay?"

Alex sighed. "No, I'm not Jarod."

"You could try talking about it."

"It's complicated Jarod..."

"Well I'd like to help, if I can Alex."

Alex turned around and looked into Jarod's eyes. His eyes were wide and bright and they showed Alex that Jarod really did want to help him. Alex then smiled at Jarod.

"Come on," he said. "I'll tell you everything on the way home."

Two hours later back at the Crashdown, Max, Michael and Isabel had just finished their meals. Maria and Liz at the same time had just finished their shifts, and Liz was eager to spend time with Max. Maria wanted to leave as soon as possible to avoid looking at Michael, but Liz had insisted that they sort out exactly what was happening or what was not happening between them. They all walked out of the Crashdown together. As predicted, Michael and Maria were avoiding eye contact with each other. Liz and Max on the other hand couldn't stop lookin at each other. Isabel clearly had something or someone, on her mind. Michael reached into his jacket pocket and fished out an object. Isabel saw the device and naturally asked, "Michael, what is that thing?"

"It's a receiver," he answered.

Max at that point turned around. He also had a question for Michael.

"What's it supposed to receive?"

"Voices from the listening device that I planted on Alex."

To say everyone was shocked was an understatement. Maria was the first to speak. "You bugged Alex?"

"I had to," Michael said. "We need to know if we can trust him. And if he squeals, we need to
know who he's gonna tell." At that point, all three girls chimed in. "We CAN trust him."

"So turn it on," Max said.

"Max..." Isabel began.

"Isabel, I just wanna know what he's gonna say, that's all. "Michael pressed a button to activate the receiver, but all he got was static.

"The bug only has a range of 100 metres," he said. "We need to be outside his house."

A half an hour later, all five of them had arrived outside Alex Whitman's house in Maria's mother's car. The living room light was on, so they knew someone was home. Michael once again turned on the receiver. There was a slight bit of static before they all heard voices eminating from the device. It was Alex and his cousin, Jarod. Alex' living room floor was occupied with papers, photos, newsclippings etc. Jarod had spent most of his time sifting through the material. He had also hacked into the FBI mainframe when he learned that they were investigating Max. Jarod was almost finished. Soon he would know exactly what he needed to know to simulate not only Max Evans, but also Michael, Isabel, Maria and Liz.

"So Jarod," Alex stated. "Tell me how exactly are you going to figure out what their secret is?"

"Well," Jarod began. "Based on what you told me about all five of them, the pictures that you have of them, plus what I saw of them down at the Crashdown, not to mention the FBI files that I downloaded..."

"Uh yeah about that..." Alex said. "Are you sure the FBI won't be able to trace it back to me?"

"It's okay Alex. When I downloaded the files, I sent a worm into their email system. What it does is that when someone at FBI headquarters opens it, the worm makes it way to the FBI mainframe, and erases whatever I want it to erase. In this case, I made it erase your I.P. log in address. The transaction never took place according to them." Alex listened on, amazed at what Jarod was capable of.


"Okay, so what now?"

Jarod looked at all the evidence in front of him, turned to Alex and said, "Now I take a person, give you an analysis af that person, then I assume that person's personality and you question me."

"Just like that?" Alex asked.

"Yes," Jarod replied. "But before we start, can I ask you something?"

"You want to know why, don't you?"

Jarod nodded.

"I really don't know, Jarod. Liz, Maria and I have been best friends for a long time. We trusted
each other with everything, you know." Outside in the car, Liz and Maria listened with a heavy heart as Alex continued to explain to Jarod the reason why he felt he just needed to know.

"We've seen each other through a lot over the years.

Whenever I had a piece of good news, I'd rush right over to where Liz and Maria were and I'd tell them. And it would be the same for them. We would encourage each other. If one of us had ever had a problem, the other two would come to the rescue, you know. We were inseparable. I guess I just want to know if they've been intentionally trying to screw up my life or...if Max Evans has somehow corrupted them into some drug cult. You know, they trusted me to keep everything I did for them a secret. And normally I would've but I guess I just needed someone to talk to. I didn't tell you all this because I felt betrayed by them you know. It's just, I only have two best friends and I've lost them both and I don't even know why. I told you Jarod because frankly, I had nowhere else to go." Liz and Maria listened to the statement Alex had made of them. Neither of them felt too proud of themselves.

Meanwhile, inside the house, Jarod had absorbed all of this, but when he looked at Alex, he saw that Alex was keeping something from him.

"Alex," Jarod said. "Is there another reason why you want me to do this?"

Alex pondered for a moment, wondering if he should tell Jarod. Alex then decided that he had told Jarod most of the tale, he might as well tell the rest of it.

"A girl, Isabel Evans."

At the mention of her name, Isabel felt a little flushed and embarassed that she was about to become the subject of Alex Whitman's discussion.

"You know guys, I think we've heard enough," she stated.

"No Isabel, I wanna know what exactly he thinks of you," Michael said. Max agreed. "He's right Isabel. We have to know what he thinks of you. We have to know what he thinks of all of us." In truth, both Max and Michael wanted to see Isabel become embarassed. They listened eagerly to hear what Alex would say to Jarod about her.

"I had this idea, of what I thought she'd be like, you know," Alex said.

"A lot of guys that dated her said that talking to her was a waste of time. Not that any of them wanted to talk to her when they went out with her. I'm pretty sure they all thought they could score with Isabel, you know."

"Score?"

"Yeah, it means to have sex. You never heard of that phrase?"

"No," Jarod answered. "Until now, I've had a pretty sheltered life."

"Anyway," Alex said. "When I saw her around school hanging out with these shallow, insincere cheerleader types, I had to admit, I thought she was just another pretty face you know."

"What changed your opinion of her?" Jarod asked.

"I was walking to class one time," Alex began. " The corridor was crowded and I was carrying this huge stack of books. I could hear laughing and I turned around and I saw Isabel hanging out with her teen socialite friends. While I was looking at them, one of the big stupid jerks on the football team trips me up. I fall down, the books fly around everywhere, everyone turns around to see what the commotion's all about, they see me on the floor and they start laughing. While they're all laughing, I get up, dust myself off and start to clean up the mess. Even though most of the laughing has died down at this point, I can still hear laughter coming from those girls. I wanted to run away at that point, but I had to take the books to my next class. I look at those girls and they are still laughing. I'm just about to leave when I look in Isabel's direction." At this point everyone in the car was hooked on Alex' words. Isabel quietly waited, listening to hear what exactly Alex would say about her.

"I look at each of those girls and they're all just laughing away, and then I look at Isabel."

"She wasn't laughing?" Jarod asked.

"Oh, she was laughing," Alex answered. "It's just for some reason, she didn't seem to find it as funny as the rest of her friends. When I looked at her face, well it seemed like she was laughing because her friends were. And I don't know why but for some reason, I looked into her eyes and
what I saw in them didn't make sense.

"What did you see?"

"Well, I saw sorrow. Her eyes seemed to say that she was sorry."

"What else did you see?" Jarod wanted to know.

"I saw loneliness. Sadness. Fear. I don't know what it was exactly, but I just knew that for some reason, Isabel Evans was pretending to be something that she wasn't. When I looked in her eyes, I saw this completely different person. And that person intrigued me. I wanted to know why she would hide that person you know. The person that I saw inside of her was far more beautiful than the exterior she was contained in. I know that it was wishful thinking, but I always hoped that one day she'd stop looking at me like I was some sort of contagious disease, and she'd let me get close enough to her so I could ask her why she doesn't let anyone see the person that she really is. I wanted to tell her that the person I thought she was capable of being was beautiful. I wanted to meet that person because I thought she was the most beautiful person I'd ever seen."

Inside the car was a deafening silence. No one was prepared for Alex' heartfelt statement about Isabel. Liz looked at Isabel. Isabel's eyes were welling up with tears. Maria sniffled.

"I wish I was in love with Alex," she thought to herself. "Instead I fall for some alien retard with gravity-defying hair, and Tabasco Sauce smelling breath."

Max had to admit to himself that Alex Whitman had class. Not one of the guys his sister ever dated bothered to look past Isabel's attractive appearance. She would always come home at night, telling Max how her dates had tried to put their hands in certain places that their hands didn't belong, and Max would comfort her and say to her that somewhere, a guy who doesn't care what she looked like would come along and show her that not all guys were shallow. Even Michael had a little admiration for Alex. Everyone in the car continued to listen.

"I thought I finally had an opportunity to get to know her at the party last night," Alex continued. "But the only reason why she asked me there was to find out what exactly I said to Valenti."

Jarod could feel the pain Alex was going through. "How did you feel about that?" Jarod asked.

"I was...hurt, to say the least," Alex answered. "It's my fault really. I set myself up for this. I made her out to be this, warm, wonderful, caring individual, and she turned out to be something...else. I guess I'm just...disappointed at how it turned out. I made up this illusion of what I thought she'd be like, I fell in love with it and then she showed me reality."

Jarod had heard enough. "Well maybe I can find out why."

"Yeah," Alex said. "I'd really like to know."

Jarod took two minutes to prepare himself for the simulation. He then sat himself in a chair and closed his eyes. His steadied his breathing rhythm and then told Alex that he was ready. Outside in the car, the five eavesdroppers were listening carefully.

"You don't really think this guy Jarod can figure us out do you?" Michael asked. "I don't know Michael," Max answered. "It is kind of out-there, you know. Someone who can think exactly like us. We shouldn't really be worried, though. I mean he's our age, he's just a kid." Inside Alex' living room, Jarod had begun his simulation. Alex asked him a series of questions:

"Who's picture are you looking at?"

"Maria De Luca's," Jarod answered.

"What do you see?"

"She's hiding something. It's pain-, no it's loss."

"Loss?"

"Her father, he walked out on her. And on her mother, too. She's sad, Alex. But I can see hope in her. Hope that one day, her father will come back, and they can be a family again."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the car, Maria listened, shocked that a stranger had interpreted the pain of loss that she felt simply by looking at her picture. She shed a single tear. Liz reached her hand out to Maria to comfort her, and Maria smiled the first smile she has had since last night.

----------------------------------------------------------------
"Jarod, can you become Maria?" Alex asked.

"Yes I can," Jarod replied. "But the information you gave me about her is insufficient. I wouldn't be able to tell you what you want to know if I became her." Jarod put down Maria's picture and picked up another one.

"So who are you analyzing now?" Alex asked.

Jarod studied the new picture in his hand carefully before answering Alex. "Liz Parker."

"This picture of Liz was taken two weeks ago, Jarod. What can you see?" Jarod looked intently at Liz Parker's image, not letting the slightest detail about her face escape him. "There are a lot of feelings here Alex," Jarod said. "I can see...love. She feels something...for someone. This feeling that she has for this person, she feels strongly about this person."

"Max Evans?"

"Yes Alex, Max Evans."

Alex thought for a moment before asking his next question.

"Jarod, can you become Liz Parker?"

"Yes."

"Do it then."

Jarod closed his eyes and slowly moved his head. In the meantime, outside in the car, Liz was obviously a little embarassed at what everyone had heard Jarod say about Liz. Max clearly could not stop staring at Liz. He was clearly hypnotised by her. And what Jarod had said before put Max in a state of happiness that he couldn't contain but had to, because he was in a small car with four other people. He settled for reaching out for Liz' hand. She smiled at him and took it. They both listened as Alex and Jarod continued talking.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"What's your name?" Alex asked.

"Liz. Liz Parker," Jarod answered.

"What hold does Max Evans have on you, Liz?"

"I...can't describe it Alex. He did something for me."

"What did he do to you, Liz?"

"He...I can't say Alex, I'm sorry."

"Why do you have these strong feelings for Max?"

"I've seen a side of him that few people ever get to see. He risked a lot, to...save me."

"Save you from what? Liz, because you felt Max Evans needed protecting, you got me to cover for him at the hospital. Why can't you just tell me?"

"Alex, I want to. Believe me...I do. But, it's not my secret to tell.

I'm really sorry, Alex."

Jarod opened his eyes and sighed. "Alex, I can't find out anymore from Liz," he said.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh my God," Liz said. "This is really weird. This guy Jarod seems to know what we're thinking. Max, Isabel, Michael, I think he's closing in on you."

"Well, yeah granted this guy is good, but he just doesn't have enough information for an accurate psychological profile," Max said. "Max," Isabel said. "I think we should go in there and tell Alex now before that guy Jarod figures it out."

"No, Isabel. Listen, we'll just see if Jarod here can do what he says he can do. I don't really think that he'll be able to tell that we're aliens just by looking at out pictures."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Jarod," Alex began. "Who are you looking at now?"

"Michael Guerin," Jarod answered.

"What can you see?"

"Anger. Sadness. Disappointment at how his life has turned out. He doesn't like it here. He wants to leave."

"What else can you see?"

"He's very...inquisitive. He's looking for something."

"What is he looking for?" Alex asked.

"Answers. He's looking for answers."

"To what?"

"His past. No...their past."

"What do you mean?"

"They don't know where they're from, Alex."

"Who is they?

"Michael, Isabel and Max." At that point, Jarod stopped.

"What's wrong Jarod?" Alex asked.

"It's just sad that they don't know where they're from Alex. Everyone should have a home." Alex sighed. "Yeah, I know. Listen, can you become Michael?"

"Not really. His emotions and the data you gave me on him are confusing. I could become him, but it's just gonna take a bit of time to sort out exactly what it is I'm seeing here. But there is something else here."

"What?" Alex asked.

"He became involved with someone. He felt strongly about her. But he backed away from her."

"Why?"

"Because, she made him feel something. Something that he can never be."

"How did she make him feel?"

"Human."

"Well okay," Alex said. "Let's just move on."

Michael listened as Jarod spoke about him. He didn't want to admit it to himself, but Jarod was right about him. He was surprised that someone else could figure out what Michael Guerin was all about. "Well," he said to Max. "You or Isabel's up next. I wonder what he's gonna figure out about you two."

"Who are you looking at, Jarod?" Alex asked.

"Isabel Evans."

"What can you see?"

Jarod paused for a moment before answering. "She's sad, Alex. Alone. Tired. And she's afraid."

"What is she afraid of?"

"She's afraid of letting people in. She's scared of losing her home and her family if people find out."

"Find out what?"

"That she's different."

"How is she different?"

"I...don't know Alex. But...she doesn't have anyone that she could call a true friend. She has Max, and she has Michael. And somehow, the three of them are linked."

"Jarod, become Isabel Evans." A moment passed before Jarod slowly nodded his head.

"Why do you hide who you really are, Isabel?" Alex asked.

"Because I'm scared."

"Of what?"

"I just can't let people I don't know get too close to me."

"Why?"

"I just can't Alex."

"Isabel, why did you invite me to the party last night?"

"Because, I...saw something about you. You have an endearing quality Alex. You actually wanted to get to know me, for who I am."

"You wanted to find out what I said to Valenti. Did Liz put you up to it?"

"No Alex. She would never do something like that to you."

"Then why did you want to speak to me?"

"Last night at the party, I was going to tell you everything. I'm sorry you misunderstood, Alex. I wanted to make things right. They may not trust you Alex, but I do."

Alex heart sank straight to the floor. He was right about Isabel after all. The one chance he had to be with her and he had blown it!

----------------------------------------------------------------

After listening to Jarod speak as Isabel, Max immedietley questioned his sister. "Isabel, is that true?" Isabel did not answer him. "Isabel, is what Jarod said true?"

"Yes!" she answered him. "I asked him to the party last night to tell him everything! He has a right to know, Max! He came through for us when we needed him and I'm telling you right now, we NEED him!" I...need him, Isabel thought to herself. Max had never seen Isabel so upset over a guy before. Clearly, something she had seen in Alex' dream the other had affected her deeply.

Max then made a decision. "We'll see what Jarod can figure out about me," he said. "If he's right, we'll confirm it for him."

"Max..." Michael began.

"Michael, please. Let's just see what he can figure out."

"So, I take it you're looking at Max Evans," Alex said.

"Yes," replied Jarod.

"What do you see?"

"Loneliness."

"What else?"

"Some of the emotions that I saw in Michael and Isabel are also present here. He's very reserved. He pretty much keeps to himself."

"Why?" Alex asked.

"He can't let people get too close," Jarod replied. "He has a secret. He feels responsible for his sister and their friend, Michael."

"Jarod, assume Max' personality."

Jarod took a deep breath and nodded.

"What's your name?" Alex inquired.

"Max Evans," Jarod answered.

"Why are you so secretive, Max?"

"I...have to be. We can't let anyone know what we are."

"Why?"

"Because, we just can't. Liz and Maria are already in harm's way because of us. Because of what
they know about us." Alex took in everything Jarod has said.

"You're not really into drugs are you?"

"No, Alex."

"Max, I've known Liz for a really long time, five years in fact. In all that time, she's never really spoken to you all that much until a couple of months ago. Now you and her are almost inseparable. What changed? What made her so interested in you all of a sudden?"

"She..." Jarod began. "She found out the truth about me. About us."

"How? When?" Alex asked.

"The day of the shooting at the Crashdown," Jarod replied.

"What happened that day?"

"I...we were eating inside the caf E9. Michael and I. Michael really didn't want to go there that day, but I dragged him along anyway."

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to see her."

"Who?"

"Liz Parker."

At the mention of her name, Liz Parker felt her cheeks flush a little. Max was clearly a little embarrassed that the rest of them would hear from a stranger how Max felt about her.

"You like Liz Parker, Max?" Alex asked.

"What I feel for her, I can't put into words. I just can't describe it. If I were to classify this feeling, I'd say it was love but, the term love I feel, is a poor description of what I'm feeling."

Jarod suddenly jerked his head up.

"What is it, Max. What's wrong?" Alex wanted to know. Jarod turned his head before he answered.

"There's a commotion, Alex. Two men, they're arguing. One of them pulls out a gun. There's a struggle. Everyone is looking at them. The gun, it's gone off."

"What's happening now, Max?"

"Everyone's taken cover, Alex. The two men, they run out. Everyone seems to be okay. I can see Maria. She's on the ground. She gets up. She's okay. She's asking for Liz. I turn to where Liz was standing except she's lying on the ground. I get up. I have to go to her. She needs me."

"Why did you go to her?"

"I have to make sure she's okay. Michael stops me. He...he wants to know what my intentions are. I push him aside. Then I tell Maria to call an ambulance. I kneel down in front of Liz. I rip open her uniform. My God..." 'What is it?"

"She...she's been shot, Alex. I can see blood. I...I have to save her.

I...can't let her die..."

"What did you do?"

"Michael's telling everyone to get back. They can't see this. They can't see what I'm about to do."


"What are you going to do, Max?" Alex wanted to know.

"I'm...talking to her. She has to stay awake for this. It doesn't work if she's not looking at me. I can feel her slipping away. I have to do this now. I...I put my hand on the wound. She jerks her body. I...can feel her. I just hope I haven't made it any worse. Oh God she can't die Alex, I won't let her." In the car Max listened to Jarod. He wasn't sure how to react to all that Jarod was saying. Jarod had accurately predicted everything that he felt the day of the shooting. The day Liz Parker almost died. He turned to Liz. Liz stared back at him. No one in the car could say a word. They listened on...

"It was a lot of work. It...drained me. But it was worth it. She...she's okay now. But I have to leave before anyone suspects," Jarod continued.

"What happened next?" Alex asked.

"I look around. I have to cover the blood up. I look on the counter and see a bottle of ketchup. I grab it. I break it. Then I spill the ketchup on Liz' dress. I tell her that the bottle broke when she fell and she spilled ketchup on herself. I'm backing away and I plead with her not to say anything to anyone. I look at her as I walk out. She's stunned. She has no idea what just happened."

Alex pondered for a while before asking the one question that he felt was obvious to ask: "What are you Max Evans?" Jarod took a deep slow breath, moved his head slightly before opening his eyes and looking straight at Alex.

"An alien."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh my God," Isabel said. "He figured it out. I can't believe it."

"Max what are we gonna do?" Michael asked.

"I don't know, Michael," Max answered.

"Max, we should go in there and tell him now," Isabel said.

Max thought for a minute before turning to Liz and Maria. "What do you guys think?"

It was Liz who spoke up. "He's my best friend, Max. I trust him. I want him to know, but the decision to tell him belongs to you three." Maria nodded her head. "Yeah, I agree with Liz," she said. Max turned to Isabel and Michael. "Guys?"

Isabel nodded approvingly while Michael firmly shook his head. Isabel then stared coldly at Michael, who reluctantly nodded.

"Let's go," Max ordered.

Alex could not believe the revelation Jarod had given him. Max Evans, an alien! He never would've suspected that. If Max was an alien that would have to mean Michael and Isabel were also aliens. Isabel was an alien. Alex sighed. "So that's what she's been hiding."

Jarod slowly approached Alex. "Alex, are you okay?"

"Yeah, Jarod I'm fine. I'm just a bit shaken up, that's all. You know, it's not every day that I find out aliens are living among us. Or that I'm in love with one."

"What are you going to do about the whole situation?" Jarod asked.

"I honestly don't know," Alex answered. "I suppose I could talk to them, but to be honest, I wouldn't know how to approach them."

Suddenly, Alex could hear knocking on his front door. He walked up to the door, opened it, and to his surprise saw Max and Isabel Evans, Michael Guerin, Maria De Luca and Liz Parker.

"Alex," Max said. "We need to talk."

"What are you guys doing here?" Alex wanted to know.

Liz walked up to Alex. "Alex please, it's important." Alex nodded his head and invited them in. The group made their way to the living room. They saw Jarod, cleaning up the papers and files that were on the ground. He paused to look at the people that had entered. Jarod saw something in each of their eyes. It was fear. No, it was intimidation. They were afraid of him!

"Alex, I'll leave you and your friends alone," Jarod said.

"Actually," Max interrupted. "We'd like you to stay. This concerns you too."

"So what is this all about?" Alex asked.

"Well, I feel I have to get this out of the way before I say anything else," Max started. "We know what you've been up to in here."

Alex face registered shock. Jarod too, was also stunned. "How do you know?" Alex demanded of them.

"I put a listening device in your backpack," Michael stated.

"What?"

"I said..."

"Yeah," Alex interrupted. "I heard what you said. Oh God, that means you heard everything I said about...I can't believe this! Who the hell do you guys think you are?" Isabel walked up to Alex and looked at him. "Alex, we're sorry," she said. "Really we are."

Liz also decided to speak up to let her voice be heard. "Alex, I'm sorry for all the secrecy. I'm sorry for lying to you."

"Alex," Max said. "If you want to blame anyone, it should be me. I asked Liz not to say anything. I am sorry, that it cost you to lose faith in her. But you have to understand why we just don't go around telling people about what we are."

Alex looked at each of them. They seemed sincere. But he had a question.

"So...everything that you heard Jarod say about you is true?"

"Yes," Max confirmed. "It's true."

"My God," Alex gasped. He then quickly composed himself. "Look, I can understand the need for secrecy. Really I do. And to be honest, I'm really glad that Liz is still alive because of what you did. I'd rather have her alive and lying to me, instead of dead and lying beneath me. Six feet under, that is." Everyone in the room cracked a laugh.

"I just wish you could've trusted me from the start," Alex continued. He looked at both Liz and Maria. "I almost lost my best friends because of your secret, Max."

"Alex, I am sorry. I know I can't make it up to you, but I'm willing to start over, as friends. If you are. And we're willing to let you in. On everything." In a gesture of friendship, Max extended his hand forward. Alex slowly reached for Max' hand and shook it. Max and the rest of them smiled. They knew that they had gained a new ally.Michael turned his head to look at Jarod. "What about him?" Max turned to address Jarod. "That was really impressive you know, what we heard you say about us."

"Thank you," Jarod said. Jarod wasn't too sure about what was going to happen next.

"Jarod," Max began. "This thing that you can do, you know, become other people. This is hard to say. I was wondering if you'd be interested in helping us find out about our past."

Jarod looked at each of them carefully. He turned to Alex, who smiled and nodded his head to him.

"Sure," Jarod answered. "Thank you for involving me."

Max looked at his watch. "Geez it's getting late," he said. "Guys, we'd better go. We'll talk to you later, Alex." Max and Michael walked out the door, while Liz and Maria walked up to Alex and each gave him a hug. "We'll see you at school, Alex," Liz said.

"Yeah, take care Alex," Maria said as she walked out the door.

The only people left were Alex, Isabel and Jarod. Jarod could see that Isabel wanted to talk to Alex alone so he politely excused himself and went to bed. He was very ecstatic. He'd been in Roswell, New Mexico for a day and already he'd made six new friends (including Alex) and met three genuine aliens. He could tell that he was going tolike his new life here in Roswell. He walked to his new room, got under the covers, and drifted off to sleep.

In the living room, Alex and Isabel were talking.

"So, what do think of my cousin, Jarod?"

"He seems pretty cool," Isabel said. "Although, I don't want to upset you but, he does kind of creep me out a little."

"Why?"

"Just a lot of the things that he said. I mean, to have a stranger know what you're thinking, it's frightening you know."

"Don't worry, he's not gonna tell anyone what you're thinking." Alex said. "But I would like you to tell me what you're thinking."

Isabel smiled at Alex. "That's what I like about you, Alex. You do want to know what I'm thinking, don't you?"

"Isabel," Alex began. "I'm sorry for that whole misunderstanding at the party. I realise now I had no right to snap at you like that."

"That's okay, Alex. You did have a right. We used you without telling you why. Anyone else would've caved in and told everything, but you hung in there for Liz even though she couldn't tell you what was going on. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry you had to go through what you went through, you know."

"Thank you, Isabel." Alex smiled at Isabel. My God she is so beautiful, he said to himself. Alex looked at the clock in his living room. Although he wanted more time to talk with Isabel, he knew she had to get home. "It's getting late. You should really get home." He walked Isabel to the door. His mind was occupied with the conversation that he and Isabel had just had. He said goodnight to Isabel and in return Isabel promised to see him in school. He watched her walk down the footpath. Suddenly, he stopped her from getting too far by calling out to her. He had just remembered something she had told him.

"Hey Isabel," he called out.

Isabel turned around to face Alex. "Yes, Alex?" she asked. He smiled at her. "So you like me, huh?" In a good-natured way, Isabel decided to slightly change her attitude.

"Not by choice, Alex Whitman."

"But you do like me," he persisted.

"Keep dreaming, Alex," she said with a smile on her lips. With that said, she walked off into the night. Alex smiled to himself as he saw Isabel walking towards her destination.

"Oh I intend to, Isabel," he said to himself. "I intend to."


The End.






Feedback: This is my first fanfic. Please send me some feedback! I might write a sequel if people like this one!

Email: neil_da_vaale@hotmail.com