Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Trying to Relax
By Kels


Finally, a chance to relax. I sit here in my bathtub with my hair piled high and rose scented bubbles floating on top of perfectly warm water. I finally start to relax. It had been a terrible day even by my standards.

First, the day started out with a meeting with Lyle, my father, my stepmother *god it hurts to say that *, and me. Daddy and the Hairy Man Beast were snuggling all through it. I actually think Lyle was just as disgusted as I was, but you can never tell with him. And what is with that witch's hair? It's the same color as mine! It pisses me off to no end. Come to think of it...that's probably why she did it.

Then, we got a false lead on Jarod, but I was smart this time and sent a sweeper team to check it out first so I didn't have to take a four-hour plane trip. Finally, Jarod sent a small virus into Centre computers. It screwed up a lot of files, including mine of course! After that, I just wanted to get out of the Centre. So here I am, in the bathtub. My mind drifts to the pile of files and reports I have to redo. The original files were destroyed by that damn virus. Ratboy has some nerve!

Ok, calm down. This bath is supposed to calm me down. Think of something else, something relaxing. I hear my bunny, Bugs, playing in his room. Well, his room is really a large walk-in closet. Lots of space, toys, and a small window for fresh air. It's perfect for Bugs! I have to admit that Jarod did pick out the perfect rabbit for me. As I sink back farther in to the warm caress of the water I try to think of something other then the Centre, something other then my life.

Warm beaches. Yes, warm beaches at sunset. Add Jarod. Jarod wearing a bathing suit. Jarod in a bathing suit, watching the sunset, and on a warm beach with...me. We're drinking margaritas. We're laying on a warm beach, drinking margaritas, watching the sunset, laying very close together ...ok where did that thought come from? Think of something else. Anything else! Something less dangerous, less enjoyable, and defiantly less stimulating! Yes, think relaxing thoughts.

Suddenly a blaring sound jars me out of my thoughts. "Oh nice!" I growl. It's the phone. Ignore it. {Ring} I'm just going to ignore it. {Ring} Look, this is me, and I'm ignoring it. {Ring} Oh hell! I reach over to the portable phone that lies on the bathroom counter.

"What the hell do you want!?!"

"Well, hello to you to Miss Parker." A very annoyingly happy voice is on the other line.

"Hello Jarod," I sigh wearily. I should of ignored it! "What do you want Jarod?" I sink lower into the tub trying to regain my comfort. I have a feeling I 'm going to need it.

"Except for the greeting, I would say you're having a nice night."

I can practically see his friendly smile. "I was having a nice night...until you called." I congratulate myself on the sarcasm I manage but didn't feel.

"Ouch, Miss Parker that hurts!" I smile reluctantly. I can hear his playful tone and picture his face. God, I love that face! It's so kissable and so maddening at the same time.

"Is there a point to this call, or did you just miss the sound of my voice?" A warm chuckle comes through the phone helping me to relax. He does that to me. I'll never admit it, I have a hard enough time admitting it to myself, but Jarod has the power to either infuriate me or calm me and make me feel safe. I wonder which of those emotions I'll be feeling by the end of this call.

"So what are you doing tonight?" Jarod asks softly.

"Want a date call a 900 number."

I reply back. It goes on like this for about another 15 minutes. We lightly tease each other, trading barbs and insults, pretty much trying to goad each other's temper. In other words, we're acting like old friends. As I become aware of this, I shift uncomfortably in the tub and some water splashes over the side.

"Where are you Parker? Sounds like water."

"You're the genius you figure it out." Oh no! I have a feeling I am going to regret that challenge.

"Well, You are at home and the shower isn't running, so I would summize you are in the bath tub." He laughs at my annoyed sigh. "Are there any bubbles? Probably," he answers his own question. "Very nice Miss Parker. Are you trying to relax?"

"What do you think Wonder Boy? Fair is fair Jarod. You know where I am...where are you?"

"But alas fair maiden. I can not tell thee."

"Want to give me a hint Jarod?"

"Not really. Well, ok."

My eyes open on alert at that statement. I don't really expect anything useful, but still, every little bit helps.

"It's far away from the Centre."

*Duh! * I think to myself.

"Which is really a shame," he continues. His voice has become deeper, awakening a whole new warmth in me. A warmth that very few men, and no bathtubs, have ever given me.

"Why would you consider that a shame Jarod?" I certainly consider it a shame, but him?

"Well, I would much rather be in a certain bathtub that is near the Centre."

Without leaving me time to comment he abruptly hangs up.

My mouth drops open. No way...no way in hell! He couldn't have meant in a bathtub with me! He couldn't. Could he?
I shake my head. I'm supposed to be relaxing. Think of something else. Anything else! Warm water, rose scented bubbles, Jarod naked in a bathtub with me...OH HELL!