Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Pretender belongs to NBC…unfortunately. : 0 )



The Ring
By Kels




Jarod sits in his latest lair gazing at his silver pile of DSAs. A fond smile plays at his lips as he picks one up and inserts it into his machine. Leaning back into his chair, Jarod watches with interest.
______________________________________________________________________________

For Centre Use Only:

A teenage Jarod lays asleep on a small bed in his stoic-style cell. He tosses and turns on his small cot while in the midst of a nightmare. Suddenly, a figure appears, crawling out of a vent shaft near the bed. As the small figure makes its way towards Jarod, tiny light rays from the door illuminate the intruder’s face. A girl. She makes her way towards Jarod, her hands in front of her leading the way.

Kneeling besides the bed a soft, musical voice calls out to Jarod and her hands gently shake him. Startling awake at the unexpected touch, Jarod looks up, half expecting a team of sweepers to be standing over him. Relief sweeps through him as he sees who it is. Relief and Joy. Then, concern starts to enter him. He sees something wrong dancing through her eyes.

"Miss Parker what’s wrong?"

Grabbing his hands, Miss Parker pulls the tired Jarod up. "Come on, Jar. Follow me." Jarod obediently follows and they head towards the vent shaft.

"Angelo!" A young boy is also in the vent. His eyes hold a look of wisdom and mild confusion. "Parker, what’s going on?"

"Shhh! Come on. Just follow me!" They crawl through the small vent until it leads to a larger one. Standing up, the two teens hold hands as they follow Angelo. Climbing out of the vent, the three children look at their surroundings. They are in a small storage room. There is just enough light to see the outlines of obstacles, though it is still dark enough to be able to hide if necessary. Jarod and Miss Parker take each other’s hands again as they walk with confidence and smiles. They go to a small corner of the room. There, hidden away, are some blankets, two tiny pillows, and a book with the title A Collection of Fairy Tales. Boxes and file cabinets hide this small haven from view of the door.

Jarod lets go of Miss Parker’s hand and lies down. He is still half a sleep and, letting out a loud yawn, he closes his eyes. "Don’t go to sleep Jarod. We’ve got to talk," reaching underneath one of the blankets Miss Parker pulls out a box of Cracker Jacks. "Thank you Angelo. We would have gotten lost in the vents with out you!" Smiling a ‘your very welcome’ smile, Angelo ambles off in the maze of shafts.

Miss Parker turns her gaze towards Jarod, her best friend. Jarod opens one eye and looks back at her. He frowns, concerned. He sees tears glistening in her blue eyes. Sitting up he asks worriedly, "What’s wrong Mel?" A single tear cascades down her face. Getting up quickly, the 17-year old Jarod wraps his strong arms around the crying 16-year old. "Mel! What’s wrong?" Jarod’s voice becomes rougher as he asks, "Has someone hurt you? Tell me!"

"No one hurt me…at least not physically. Jar, we have to talk." Sitting down with Jarod, she settles herself in his arms, her head resting comfortably on his chest. Jarod slowly strokes her hair as he gazes down at her lovingly.

"What’s-"

"Daddy is sending me a way Jarod!" Miss Parker interrupts. She feels Jarod pull her closer, as if he would never let go. She silently wishes that that could be possible.

"What?" Jarod tries to keep his voice even and calm, but terror is tugging at his heart. What if her father does send her away? What if she meets another guy? Jarod shakes his head mentally. That would never happen. They love each other. Still…how could he survive without her? Miss Parker is all he has! Parker’s sorrowful voice draws him out of his private panic and back to the conversation at hand.

"Daddy says that I’m too much like mommy. That I’m weak, like her." Bitterness sounds in her voice. "He says that I need to be strong like him. He’s sending me to this place. I…I forget where, but it’s far a way. It’s supposed to make me strong…invincible like a rock. Aren’t I strong enough?"

"Yes, you are," Jarod says this softly, his voice is filled with pride. "You are very strong." Miss Parker lets a small smile onto her face. Jarod has always been her champion. "How long will you be gone?"

"Six months." Jarod pulls her closer. "I leave in a week. Daddy just told me tonight!" Starting to cry again, she whispers something into Jarod chest, "Jar, I don’t want to go!"

Attempting to soothe Miss Parker, Jarod talks about their plans. How they are going to run off together and travel all around Europe. How they’re going to be together; that nothing could change the way they feel about each other. " It’s only six months. I know it will seem like a long time…it will seem like forever if I’m without you, but be strong! When you come back you’ll have all of these stories to tell me and we’ll have new experiences to talk about. We’ll be ok. Please don’t cry!"

Miss Parker looks up from her position huddled in Jarod’s arms. She is no longer crying and her tear-streaked face has a little more hope. Parker graces Jarod with a smile and gently places a soft kiss against his cheek. Leaning back, the two teens gaze at each other.

Laying a gentle caress against her face with his hand, Jarod leans in again. His innocent kisses become more passionate by the second.


______________________________________________________________________________

Jarod smiles sadly. He gently takes the DSA out and puts another in.

______________________________________________________________________________

For Centre use only

Laying comfortably in each other’s embrace, the two teenager’s happiness is marred only by the fact that Miss Parker is leaving the next day. Laying a sweet kiss on Miss Parker’s forehead, Jarod nervously gets up. Parker leans up on her arms and looks questionably at Jarod. "Jarod what’s wrong?" Trying to lighten his nervous face she adds, "You look like you just swallowed a fly!"

Forcing a weak smile he pulls something out of his pocket. Parker lets out a small gasp as she recognizes the item. It’s a ring. A plastic purple ring. It looks like something you would get out of a vending machine for 25 cents. Miss Parker glances up at Jarod’s now hopeful expression. Shakily, she smiles at him.

Taking the smile as a cue, Jarod rushes out his explanation. "I found it. Well, actually Angelo found it. I found him in a SIM room eating Cracker Jacks. When he opened the prize I saw what it was! I thought it would be perfect for you! I read somewhere that most girls like rings. Do you like it?"

Standing up she walks over to Jarod. "Jarod, I love it!" Pure joy shine from both of their faces as he slips the ring onto her finger.


______________________________________________________________________________

A form lays curled under a white feather comforter. Dark eyelashes lay like a fan against porcelain skin. It’s Miss Parker. Another dark figure stands in the room watching her. Silent like a ghost, the darkly clad Jarod makes his way to Parker’s dresser. There, next to her open jewelry case, he puts a present down. Unfortunately, he also knocks off a lamp. It falls, crashing into a million pieces.

The noise brings Miss Parker awake with a start. Acting on instincts she immediately rolls out of bed, turns the light on, and grabs her gun. All of this in the time Jarod is able to turn around. "Jarod!" Parker spits out the word. "What the hell of you doing in my bedroom?"

Hiding his surprise and dismay at the situation Jarod places a calm appearance on his face. "I brought you a present."

"A book on how to brake lamps? Slick move Wonderboy." Miss Parker smiles sweetly at Jarod. "Now, I have you just where I’ve always wanted you."

"You’ve always wanted me in your bedroom! Why Miss Parker. I’m shocked!" Jarod smirks wickedly at Parker. In anger, Parker lunges at him. Executing a quick side step, Jarod grabs the gun out of her hand. In response Miss Parker flings her fist out. It hits him squarely in the jaw. Swearing in pain, Jarod trips Parker and holds the gun on her. "Damn it Parker! I came to bring you a present!" Miss Parker opens her mouth to respond, but Jarod tells her to shut up. Parker’s eyes go wide. In the three years of chasing Jarod he has never told her to shut up.
‘He must really be pissed’ she thinks. She catches a wrapped object that Jarod tosses to her. Opening it, after casting Jarod a suspicious look, she sees a white satin ring box. Parker lets out a gasp. With shaking hands she pulls out a plastic ring. It’s identical to the purple ring he gave her when they were children.

"I wanted to give it to you again. I know the anniversary of your mother’s death is in a week…I hoped it would help. Bring some good memories to the surface." Parker glances up startled and touched by his gesture. Fighting to control her emotions she stands up.

Jarod follows her movements with the gun in his hands. Parker walks slowly and with deliberate movements. Digging in her jewelry box she pulls out the original ring. "Thank you for the present Jarod, but I never got rid of the first one. I couldn’t get rid of it." As blue and brown eyes meet, they smile at each other.



FEEDBACK is GOOD! (hint, hint)
P.S. this is only my second fanfic so be nice :*)