Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: VanSickle & Mitchell own the premesis, I own the words.
Author's Note: Special thanks to Schuyler & Cheryl



Romance In Chains 2/3
by Andrea








II.

Twenty seconds later their perfect world was shattered...

Mr Parker burst into the room, Sweepers backing him up. "Get the hell away from my daughter!" He screamed at the terrified Jarod.

Jarod backed away, his arms up. Sweepers quickly surrounded him like an honor guard; an unwanted honor. They quickly dragged him out the door, leaving Miss Parker with her father.

"What the hell do you think you were doing?!?!" He roared.

Frightened, Parker slipped into the innocence of childhood, though she was no child. "Daddy," she began.

He shook his head. "No, I don't want to hear it." He grabbed her arm and forced her to face him. "Either you are staying here, or I'm going to send you back to the school for the summer."

He never even gave me a chance to explain; even though I couldn't have explained it! "I'll stay here, Daddy."

"That's good, Angel, because I don't have time for you right now." He puffed out his chest. "I'm warning you though, if Jarod makes his way back here, you'll both pay..."

He swept out, leaving his Angel alone with her thoughts...

*****

"Get you goddamn hands of me!" Jarod cried, tired of the Sweepers insistent pulling and pushing. "Where are you taking me, anyway?"

Luke, the one who was pulling the most answered his question. "To where Mr Parker told us to take you." Big and burly, he had never been very smart. That's why he was such a good Sweeper. He had the qualities: obedience to follow orders without questions, and muscle. No wonder the Centre had an excess of them, Jarod thought.

They tossed him in a cell on SL-22, a dark and dingy place. Jarod had been there once or twice before for no special reason. Sweeper Kyle was left to guard him, another bulky and ignorant man.

Jarod paced in the small enclosed space, his fear growing with every moment. He wasn't scared of what would happen to him; no he was worried about what would happen to Parker. How much he wished he'd never left the Centre...

It seemed like a long time before he was sent for, but in reality it was only twenty minutes. Yet another Sweeper unlocked the door to the cell. He escorted him to the Chairman's office and left him there.

The aging man entered and indicated that Jarod was to have a seat. Jarod did so, sitting in one of the slippery leather chairs in front of the desk. Mr Parker took his seat behind the desk and asked the Pretender, "Just what do you think you were doing?"

Jarod didn't answer.

Parker tried again. "Just what did you think you were doing with my daughter?" He shouted, each word getting progressively louder.

Once again, Jarod sat silently. He had nothing to say. He was guilty for his actions, and nothing he could say would undermine that. He lifted his head and met the older man's gaze.

*****
ONE YEAR LATER
*****

Jarod had settled back into his routine quickly, and he could almost believe that his brief time in the outside world had been a dream, nothing more.

But now, a year later, he felt the need to see his love again. For he loved her, and would always love her, even if she didn't love him...

Jarod had to find a way to escape again...

*****

Parker dropped her duffel on the bed and walked to the window to enjoy the view. A year after her short time with Jarod, she was once again in a foreign country, this time it was the Bahamas. One of her favorite places. She hadn't brought much with her, figuring that it would be easier to buy whatever she wanted here than to cart it around.

This time there was no friend with her, for once she preferred to spend the time alone. For a couple of days before the last term had ended, she had hoped to spend the summer in Blue Cove. But her father had turned her down, saying that he would be too busy to spend time with his only child.

It had taken her time...but she had become used to his indifference towards her.

*****

Everything reminded Jarod of last year.

It was happening the same way....

Now he was a stowaway on a plane headed for the Bahamas. He didn't take the time to wonder why it was so easy to escape again...