Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 26-30

She opened her eyes. Had she fallen asleep in the sun? It had become dark. She was lying in someone's arms. No more beach. Another universe. But what universe was this? Oh, yes, Giles. She was lying on the sofa in Buffy's house in Giles' arms. No more Cathedral Cove in New Zealand. Sunnydale, California, United States of America. Buffy's home. In Giles' arms. What a change. But both things had been something she had always dreamed of. It was cold. Involuntarily she started to shiver. Giles' arms closed tighter around her.
"Are you awake?" he whispered.
"Yes."
"Have you been to another reality or have you been dreaming?"
"To two other realities. But things are getting funnier. Seems more like a dream to me now than reality. The universe that should be more realistic turns into a complete dream and Star Trek seems more real. But I think I have to tell you something. Your diary -"
"My watcher's diary? You've read my diary?"
"Uuh, kind of. I started to read one you haven't started to write yet."
She got up which allowed Giles to sit up and put on his glasses. It was starting to get light outside. The street lamps weren't burning anymore but still there was enough light inside the room to see. He stared at her.
"You've read the future? What did I write?"
"You haven't written anything so far. I can't tell you. I know more than you do about the things to come and I don't know if I have the right to change things that are going to happen. It might save many lives but I'm not allowed to do anything, I guess."
"Sunnydale will fall. The slayers-to-be will be killed and many other lives will cease. Don't you think you have a right to change that?"
"How do you know that?"
"Sunnydale? Death? Just a guess. But I was right, wasn't I?"
Kyla just nodded. How could she change the future? Should she dare to change what happened on TV? It would definitely safe many lives and maybe even Sunnydale. Would Giles' diary change when she started to change things here? Or was this some kind of time paradox that the diary already said what she was about to do? She didn't know. She was no expert on time travel and changing the past for the sake of the future. Or was she not changing the present? From the point of Star Trek it was the past. Time paradox. She didn't know. What would change? Would she change as well? Would she change in the future if she changed happenings now? Would the other universes cease to exist? Would be perfect. She'd have less universes to shift and her chance of getting home would be better. But what about her conscience? She would change at least the last season. But all of the Buffyverse came from the mind of another human. This wasn't real - was it? How could she change a world that only existed in other people's minds and on TV? Would she be able to change anything at all or would this simply change her universes? Would it change the universes or would everything just go on. If some people were right and this was a dream it didn't matter at all. In dreams there was no real and unreal. It was a dream. What if she was really shifting? Would things change? God, this was so complicated. She leaned against the doorframe.
"Are you alright?" Giles asked and jumped from the sofa.
"I'm fine. Just sit down again."
"Sure you won't faint?"
"Why should I? I was simply thinking through some possibilities. What if I change the timelines?"
"Will you notice? If you change the past the future changes as well and you don't know it because you think it has always been that way."
"You know about time paradoxes?"
"I'm just trying to. Does it make sense?"
"Yes it does. But still I'm not sure if I should tell you the things I already know."
"If you know what is going to happen? I'm not sure what's going to happen and I don't know if I want to know but if you tell me about it maybe we can find a way to sort things out. I don't want to force you into doing something you don't want to do."
"This is all so complicated," Kyla sighed and went to the couch. She sat down beside Giles and rested her head on her knees to think. She felt Giles' reassuring hand on her shoulder.
"We'll find a way. I promise. Maybe there's really a demon that is responsible for all this or maybe it has something to do with the thing that happened yesterday. I want you to wear the amulet even though I'm not sure what it does. Maybe it's part of all this. The demon will be back. And if this amulet really protects you -"
"Giles, leave this demon thing. I don't think it has anything to do with that. Let me try to find a way to sort things out first. I have to get used to the thought of playing God and changing the future first. PLEASE."
"Sorry, I didn't want to force you into anything. I'm still worried about the demon thing. Maybe we can talk it through with Buffy and Willow in the morning. Maybe they know something we haven’t thought of so far."
"Like a protection spell?" Willow's voice came from the door. "Good morning."
"Morning, Willow. No spells on me please."
"We'll see. There'll be way to find out everything about you and then we'll find a way to make things right."
"Wisely spoken, Will, and that before breakfast."
"Oh my Goddess," Willow grinned, "I have spoken like a psychologist and that before noon and a cup of coffee."
All three grinned and went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast. When they had settled down with their cups Buffy came into the kitchen as well. She looked like she needed a couple of hours more sleep.
"Hey guys," she mumbled and let herself fall onto a chair.
"How was the night?" Willow asked.
"Thirteen vampires and a something I don't know anything about."
"What something?" Giles asked.
"Some kind of demon that acted like a vampire. It attacked me like vamp and tried to suck my blood. It dusted like a vampire. Maybe it was one on a Halloween trip."
Willow and Kyla grinned. Only Giles didn't look very happy but didn't say anything.
"Busy night," Willow stated and handed Buffy a mug with coffee.
Giles got up and left the room.
"What did I miss?" was the first thing Buffy asked as soon as Giles was gone - and she didn't look sleepy anymore. Kyla shot her an asking look.
"The two of you, cuddled together on the sofa. So, what did I miss?"
"Nothing. By the way, how do you know that?"
"I've come in through the front door. It was hard not to see anything."
"Oh come on, Kyla, admit it," Willow grinned.
"There's nothing to admit," Kyla pouted and got up. Willow followed her and put her arms around her. "Come on, this was a joke."
"Group hug!!" Buffy laughed and threw her arms around the other two girls. Willow and Kyla couldn't hold their balance anymore and fell to the ground. Laughing they laid there until Giles returned to the room.
"Did I miss anything?" he asked. The girls simply looked at each other and burst into laughter.
"You have to admit that it looks quite strange when three girls are lying on the floor without any obvious reason and burst into laughter when they are asked a question."
They grinned and got up. Each of the girls sat down in the kitchen, took their cup and pretended nothing had happened. As soon as they looked at each other they burst into laughter again.
"Calm down and concentrate. We have to work and find a way to help Kyla."
Buffy and Willow looked at each other and grinned. Kyla only sighed. Giles looked at them and shook his head at how childish those girls sometimes were.

"I know this sounds like science fiction but this is how I remember things," Kyla finished.
"We could try some magic. There are a few spells we could try."
"I'm not very happy with the idea of being bewitched."
"Protecting you, not bewitching you."
"Protecting me from what?"
"Getting caught in other universes. There are a few things we could try like a protection band around your wrist. It is magic, but you're just wearing it."
"We could try. I'm not sure if I can take it to another universe."
"What about your ring?" Giles asked.
"Ring? What ring?"
"You're wearing a ring. Did you wear it in the other universes too?"
"Oh, that. Sure. This is one I got from -- Do you mean I could take something else to other universes? Like bringing Giles' diary?"
"Worth a try. But let's start with the protection band first. I'll be upstairs and prepare everything. Is that alright with you, Kyla?"
"Yes, worth a try. As long as you don't cast a spell upon me to make me ugly I don't mind."
"I will cast a spell upon thee to make thee eternally mine," she whispered when she walked past Kyla. She grinned in return until Willow had disappeared in her room upstairs.
"What do we do now?" Buffy asked.
"Sit and wait and drink more tea," Kyla replied and leaned back.
"I'll be in my bed again," Buffy said an yawned. "I definitely need another couple of hours of sleep. You two don't have a problem with being alone together, do you?"
"Just go and don't say anything else," Kyla said but grinned. Now they were alone again. Had last night been a fatherly feeling and the need to protect her or was there more? If this was a dream and she wished it to be more, would there be more? I she didn't try she wouldn't know. But what if things got exaggerated as they usually did in dreams? *No. Don't wish for him to love you,* she told herself. *You do wish it or otherwise you wouldn't have told yourself not to do it.* She closed her eyes and leaned back.
"Are you alright?" Giles asked.
"Just a little headache. I'll be outside. I hope some fresh air will help."
"We need to talk. Can I come with you?"
"Sure. Is there something cold to drink in the fridge? I think I need something to really wake up."
"There should be some coke left. You haven't even touched your breakfast. What's the matter with you?"
"I don't know. Doesn't matter now. We need to find a way to solve this. I doubt that Willow's protection band will keep me from shifting but I think it will keep me from being able to end the universes."
"How can you be so sure that dying is the only way to get away from one universe?"
They were sitting next to each other on the porch with the sun shining brightly outside. Would have been a perfect morning if there hadn't been the shifting problem. Kyla tried to forget about everything and simply leaned back and enjoyed the sun. Giles sat beside her. A feeling she deeply enjoyed. Someone beside her, the sun warming her skin and nothing to do. So to speak. There were a lot of things that needed to be done but right now nobody cared. Everybody was thinking about finding a way to help her and she had people she could call her friends. This was a wonderful feeling. She didn't want to leave this universe. Things seemed so perfect here.
"What are you thinking about?"
"The world seems so perfect. How can this be? And somehow I feel different. Something's different. I can't tell you exactly what it is but is has something to do with my feelings."
"What feelings?"
"I don't know. I feel like I'm in love with everyone."
"I hope you're in love with me as well," Willow said from the door. "I'm finished. I've got the band. I have no idea what's going to happen when you put it on but it's worth a try."
Kyla looked at the green band in Willow's outstretched hand. It looked more like a gift wrapping than something that should protect her.
"What am I supposed to do now?"
"Sit down on the floor and stretch out your left arm."
Kyla did like she was told. Willow kneeled down in front of her. Willow told Giles to kneel behind Kyla to catch her in case something went wrong. Kyla didn't like the idea very much.
"Close your eyes."
She closed her eyes. She felt vulnerable. Willow took her hand and she felt Giles' hands on her shoulders.
"Relax, honey. It's gonna be alright."
She felt a tingling sensation at her wrist that spread over her whole body. Her head started to spin and she felt like collapsing. She was already sitting and felt Giles's grip tighten.
Then it was gone. Not only the funny feeling but also - everything. She opened her eyes. It was bright. Too bright for her eyes.
"Kyla? Kyla, can you hear me? Honey, please open you eyes and look at me." Her mother's voice. Her mother's voice? No. This was Willow's voice. She wanted to open her eyes to see what was going on but her eyelids suddenly seemed to weigh tons. The light she saw through her closed eyelids was getting darker until she was in complete darkness and silence. She opened her eyes and this time it worked. There was a light in the distance but it was fading. She heard Willow's voice again.
"Kyla? Kyla, can you hear me? Honey, please open you eyes and look at me."
She opened her eyes. The light was bright again. There was nothing except her and Willow. It felt like flying. Willow touched her hands.
"Hold my hands. It seems to be working. We need to get back into the real world."
"Real world? Where are we?"
"Your thoughts. We're inside your head."
"How do we get out?"
"Clap your heels twice and you'll be back in California," Willow grinned.
"I don't have heels. Isn't there something like 'kiss the girl' to bring us back?"
"You can try and wish."
Their lips closed over each others. The light faded and they were in darkness. As their lips parted Kyla felt the tingling sensation again. All over her body. It felt like falling. Falling ever deeper into eternity.

***

She slowly opened her eyes. She wasn't falling anymore. But it felt funny anyway. She was staring at a view port with stars streaking by her window. It had something in common with falling. The protection spell. Had it worked? She was in a Star Trek universe again. From the interior of her room she knew she was aboard the Enterprise NCC-1701 D. The last time she had been here had been a short visit. As far as she remembered she had been in sickbay. She had been told that she was abducted by aliens and that had caused a loss of her short time memory or something like that. She had had a talk with Dr. Crusher but that had been a few shifts ago. What had she been doing the last time she had been here? Looking out of the window. Right - that had been one of those peculiar shifts when she had simply turned around and had found herself in another universe. How much had she wished to remain in the Buffyverse. This had been a perfect place. Maybe she could make this place perfect as well. But first she had to find someone to talk to. Hadn't Dr. Crusher told her to contact sickbay as soon as something happened?
"Ensign Parker to Dr. Crusher."
"Everything alright, Kyla?"
"Kind of. I'm feeling OK but something else happened."
"Shifting again?"
"Yes."
"Stay right where you are. I'll be there with Geordie and Data. There might be something we can do about those shifts."
A few minutes later the doorbell chimed and Dr. Crusher, Geordie and Data entered the room along with two lieutenants from Geordie's team. They brought lots of equipment and stuff and Dr. Crusher ran a tricorder over her and the room.
"You've been to other universes and there are traces of an unknown substance in this room," Geordie stated and Dr. Crusher nodded.
"Yes, something definitely happened. The readings I took from her are stored in the computer. When I compare them to the ones I took just now it looks somehow funny," Dr. Crusher agreed. "The last readings were taken about an hour ago. They shouldn't be much different to the readings I took now. But it looks like it's more than 24 hours ago since I took the last reading."
"Can you tell that by simply looking at the cell structure? Wow."
"We should inform the Captain," Data said. "Does this belong to you?" he asked and gave her a book. Kyla looked at it. 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' by Joanne K. Rowling. Definitely hers.
"Yes, this belongs to me. Why do you ask?"
"The Captain loves printed books as well but I haven't seen a book that was that well preserved."
Right. In the series the books had always been old and worn with leather covers. This one was a simple paperback novel she had read a few times. It looked used but still quite new. Where did it come from? Had the Kyla from this universe (if the theory was right) liked to read Harry Potter? Would it still be famous in the distant future? She'd have time to think about that later - she hoped.
Captain Picard entered the room and everybody's eyes turned towards him.
"Ensign, I hope you're feeling better now. Geordie, Data, what have you got?"
"There's some kind of anomaly that seems to affect only Ensign Parker so far. We don't have prove for anything yet," Geordie explained.
"Correction, sir. We have this book. From my readings it has been printed only four years ago."
"A printed book? That sounds odd. Anything else?"
"Yes, the bio readings I took from Kyla. But I think you should know the whole story. Do you mind, Kyla, to tell the story again? I'm not quite sure if I can recall everything."
"It will take a while but I don't mind. Would you like to sit down in the meantime?"

Once more she told her story. She left a few things out - as always. Data seemed to store her every word in his memory, Geordie was already trying to think about a solution, Dr. Crusher and Picard listened carefully. Even though Beverly had heard the story before she seemed quite interested. Picard didn't seem to believe everything but he didn't say a word about it. He instructed Geordie and Data to work on a solution and asked Dr. Crusher to have an eye on Kyla. Kyla was relieved of all her duties aboard the ship for the time being and he asked her to stay in her quarters if possible. If this was really a kind of spatial anomaly they'd have more chances of finding if it was connected to her or her quarters if she remained in there for the time being.
"But didn't it occur before when I was in sickbay?"
"It did, she's right. Maybe it's only connected to her and it has something to do with the Monkanians who held her hostage," Dr. Crusher said.
Picard only nodded without saying a word.
"Everybody do your best. Ensign Parker, feel free to conduct a search on your own if you wish to but please remain in your quarters. Contact me as soon as anybody finds something that's close to a solution. I'm on the bridge."
Kyla wondered why she should conduct a search of her own when she remembered her blue science uniform. She seemed to have some knowledge in this field. If she had access to the computer she could look a few things up. If she only were alone.
"Kyla, we'll leave you alone right now. The box on your table is designed for registering spatial anomalies if they should occur. We'll know if something happens and we'll be there immediately," Geordie said and smiled at her before he left the room. Data followed him without another word. She was now alone with Dr. Crusher.
"I'm sure you know what you want to do right now?"
"I'd like to look a few things up. I have a theory of my own I'd like to test. And if there's really some kind of anomaly I'd like to try a few things. Otherwise I think I will try to rest a bit and read through a few files."
"OK, sounds good. Have a nice day and remember that you can call me anytime."
"Thanks, Doctor. I'll keep that in mind."
Dr. Crusher got up and left the room. Finally she was alone. What did the Harry Potter book have to do with the shifting? She sat down in front of her computer and filed through the stored books. All Harry Potter books were available as files and on demand even as real books from the replicator. She ordered the exact same book that Data had found in her room. The book itself even looked different. It had another cover. She took the tricorder from the table (was it her own tricorder?) and ran it over the old book. She had no idea how to work with a tricorder but it beeped and showed a few graphics. Then she ran the tricorder over the book she had just replicated. Even though she had no idea how to interpret all the things on the little screen it looked completely different. How had Data known that the book had been printed 4 years ago? He was a machine after all maybe this was part of his programming - or it was simply her who was not able to interpret simple tricorder readings. She grinned. On the TV screen things had always looked simple and had made sense. Now that she was in the middle of all this things suddenly seemed a lot more complicated. She hoped that the main computer worked with only voice commands even though she felt silly to talk with a computer. But it was worth a try.
She scratched her left wrist and stopped dead. She looked down. The green band Willow had given her with the protection spell was still there. It had worked. Maybe not the spell itself but she had taken something from one universe to the next. Maybe it worked with other things as well? Maybe she could take a padd with her? But sometimes she changed clothes so it was no use to put things in her pockets. Maybe some kind of microchip in a necklace? But where was her watch? In Star Trek universes she had no wrist watch while in other universes it was there. It was worth a try anyway. But how should she get out of here? She couldn't just pack a suitcase and walk through the door into another universe, could she? She had done it before but without the suitcase. Why not try? But she wanted to try the anomaly theory this time. If she just walked through the door she wouldn't know so she simply sat down in front of the computer and looked through the files until she felt like she couldn't take in one more bit. She leaned back. How much time had passed since she had come here? She wanted to look at her watch.
"Computer, what time is it?"
"It is 10.50 p.m."
Nearly midnight? She didn't feel like it at all but maybe it was time for sleep. She'd be going to another universe and wouldn't find out about the anomaly. Maybe it would occur when she fell asleep but she'd know when she came back 'in the morning'. She looked at the protection band on her wrist and smiled. Maybe it was because of the band that she had found out so much about spatial anomalies or maybe it was just sheer luck. She'd find a way back to reality. Some day, some way. Or she'd stay in these universes for ever - narrow them down to one and be happy there? Wait and see she told herself and went towards her bed. Before she laid down she stored as much information about spatial anomalies as possible on a padd and put it into her pocket. A little uncomfortable but worth a try. She pulled the blanket up to her chin and closed her eyes. The beds had looked much harder on TV than they actually were. She curled herself up and after a few minutes she fell asleep. Not really asleep. First she was in a black nothing. Like being in a bubble. No sounds and nothing to see and it was even hard to breathe. But she was somewhere. And where was somewhere?

***

It was still dark but something had changed. There was at least something. Where was she? It was dark and silent. There was a wall on her left and on the right and all around her. She was back on the Enterprise - stuck in a turbo lift. There were worse places to be. At least she was alone and had time to think. If only her head would stop hurting. T'Pol had told her to stay where she was. Had she disobeyed orders by wishing herself away? She didn't know and she found that she didn't even care. She just remained sitting on the floor waiting for help. So she had lots of time to think. In the darkness she fingered for the protection band. It was still there. She could feel it. But the padd she had put into her pocket before going to bed wasn't there. It hadn't worked. Well, maybe next time. She leaned back. Her head ached. Why was she here? Oh yes, the lift had stopped dead. And why was this? She hadn't asked yet and nobody had asked questions why she had been in there. She didn't know how she would be able to get out of the lift or when someone would find her but maybe this had something to do with spatial anomalies as well? Maybe it was an anomaly that caused the crash the first place? She had to ask T'Pol about it when she got the chance.
"Tucker to Ensign Parker. How are you?"
"Could be better. How long until I can get out of here?"
"Not much longer. I know you suffer from claustrophobia and that it's even worse in the dark but we're doing the best we can."
"Do you know anything about what has caused this?"
"We're not very far but we think that there was some kind of anomaly like in the Expanse that has caused this. How do you feel?"
"My head still hurts and it's dark in here. Hurry. Please."
He knew a lot about her. Maybe she was part of his team? Or they were friends? Or something else? A light started to shine in front of her. Right in front of her eyes. What was this? It looked more like a little Tinkerbell from Peter Pan than something that belonged to Star Trek. The light grew stronger and she could see it better. It was really a small being. And it looked exactly like Tinkerbell. It smiled at her. She scrubbed her eyes with her fingers. This couldn't be. She was in a Star Trek universe. Where did the fairy come from?
"I'm no fairy," the creature said with a high pitched voice, "I'm a Shiran."
"What is a Shiran?"
"A Shiran is a bringer of luck to those who need them. And you definitely need some luck. You're stuck in a cabin that itself is stuck in a tunnel and all around your ship there are Kinkans. You need luck as well as the rest of your crew."
"Why are you with me and not with the captain?"
"You asked for my help, didn't you? You thought about getting away from here so here I am."
"You can read my thoughts? Do you have a name?"
"I am a Shiran. Shirans do not deserve to have a name before one is given to them by someone they have helped."
"Doesn't sound fair to me. Everyone deserves a name."
"Oh, and yes, I can read your thoughts. Or at least I'm trying to. I'm not very good at it yet. If it makes you happy you may give me a name. But if I don't succeed in this mission the name is taken from me again. What is the name you wish to give me?"
"I give you the name Tinkerbell. Can we get out of here, please?"
"Your wish is granted. Where do you wish to go?"
"The bridge. We need to tell the Captain what's going on."
In a flash she disappeared from the turbolift but didn't end up on the bridge like she had wanted to. She was in that bubble again. The black bubble where she wasn't able to move or breathe. Tinkerbell wasn't with her either. She needed air. She wanted to breathe. She wanted to move!
And suddenly there were voices. Many voices. Something moved down her throat. She wanted to get rid of it. She wanted to pull it out. But suddenly she was able to breathe again. Oxygen got into her lungs again. Where was she. There was still darkness all around her and she couldn't move. But there were those voices. They kept talking but she didn't understand a word. It was like they were talking Chinese or Klingon. Not one word except her name an few times. Something pressed against her chest. Again and again and again in a steady rhythm. In between she was able to get some breath.
*Tinkerbell? Can you hear me? TINKERBELL!! I want to get away from here. TINK!!!*

***

She stumbled and fell to the floor. Her heels hurt. She looked around the room. Where was she? Where was Tinkerbell? She was back in her room in the universe where she had met Krystal and KB and where she was living with Michelle Parker. What a change. What had happened in between those universes? The bubble, the voices. She knew this rhythm. The rhythm of pressing on her chest. Five. Right. Five times and then she had been able to get some breath but only twice. Then the pressure had started again. This sounded a lot like CPR. But that would mean that she was dead in a universe. Was that reality? Was that where she wanted to go and wanted to be? If she was dying in the real world what sense did it make to return there? What had happened back there? What if it was the same that had happened to Terry Farrell? What if she had had an accident as well? But when and where? The last thing she remembered from reality was Dr. Greene and him saying that she had to spend some time in a closed facility. And after that? The next thing she remembered was Jarod who carried her away. There was no place for an accident, was there? But focus on first things first, she told herself. Her heels hurt. Did this mean that she had left this universe only for a few seconds? Did it matter anyway? She had wished herself away and it had worked. That was all that counted right now.
The protection band was still there. What was real? Tinkerbell sounded like a dream to her. Was she (or was it male?) real? She felt like she had watched too much TV. Too many times Peter Pan, Hook or The Return To Neverland. But the little creature had looked very real. Maybe it was herself who was going crazy. She had to stop thinking about things that belonged to other universes. She was in this awful universe with this Miss Parker who was not really Miss Parker. She had to get away from here forever. Maybe she could wish herself dead? Or she should really try this thing with the lake. She looked at her wristwatch which was miraculously back. 5.20 am. Parker would still be asleep. She unlocked her door and tiptoed down the stairs and out of the front door. Without thinking she started to run into the direction where the lake was in the real world. But what was real? She ran until she reached the lake. Now what? Simply keep on running until she was drowning or find something else? She heard a voice nearby. At half past five in the morning? Who would be up at this time?
"What are you doing up this early at the lake?"
Parker? At his time? Oh no! So much for her 'plan'. Why was she always there when you needed her the least? And why was she up this early in the morning?
"Needed some air," she lied. "What are you doing up this early?"
"Morning training. Some running, some stretching and some thinking. Getting ready for the day. How do you feel today?"
"Better, I think. Would you mind if I went swimming?"
"Do you feel up to it? The water's quite cold."
"That's OK. Exactly what I need right now."
"I'll stay around if something should happen. Don't press things. After what happened yesterday I'm not quite sure what to think about you, honey."
Kyla nodded and sighed inwardly. So much for her theory. Maybe if she swam right to the middle of the lake there would be a black hole or something else that would swallow her and end the world for her in this universe. But she was far from being able to end this world. Michelle watched her every step. Even though she loved the Parker character in the series this universe's Miss P. was unbearable. Maybe she'd find a way. She took off her clothes and went into the lake. It was freezing cold. She remembered a day when she had done the same thing. She had gone swimming in a lake that was freezing cold and because everybody had been watching her she had let herself fall into the water. Because of the cold her lungs hadn't been able to get oxygen. All air had been pressed from her lungs and she had nearly drowned. The water was up to her knees. It was quite cold. She jumped headfirst into the deeper water. The air was pressed from her lungs. It seemed to work. Then something was in front of her. A light. Tinkerbell? In the water?
"What are you doing?"
"Drowning."
She was talking underwater? She breathed. She was in the water. How could she be able to breathe and how did Tinkerbell come to this universe?
"You can't drown. I need you."
"You need me? Why? What are you doing in this universe?"
"I don't know. I came with you. If you drown right now I'll be stuck here. You need to wish me back.. Don't drown."
Kyla felt someone grabbing her by the arm and pulling her up to the surface. Had she been dreaming? Tinkerbell in this universe? It was Parker who was pulling her towards the surface. Had she been this far down? She had been breathing while she had talked with Tinkerbell, hadn't she? Suddenly she felt like drowning. There was water everywhere. She nearly panicked but found herself unable to move. Parker pulled her towards the shore and out of the water.
"Don't die on me, baby, come on, fight!"
She couldn't breathe and couldn't move. Parker began CPR. Was she dead? Was this what felt like to be dying? She saw Tinkerbell sitting on Parker's shoulder. Even though she didn't like this universe she had to survive. Hadn't this been what she had wanted? Dying? Never having to come back? But when she saw Tinkerbell she knew she had to fight. And there was the look in Parker's eyes. Lost, hurt, sad and absolutely gorgeous. Parker pressed air into Kyla's lungs and turned her to one side. Kyla coughed and the water came from her lungs. She was able to breathe on her own again. Tinkerbell was jumping on Parker's shoulder and clapping her hands. Parker cradled her in her arms while Kyla tried to get in as much air as possible. She was alive again but nevertheless darkness kept creeping towards her from all sides. She saw Parker smile before she lost consciousness and started to fall into darkness.
She kept falling for a long time and felt almost like Alice in Wonderland who was falling through the rabbit hole. Her arms and legs started to feel a little numb. And then there was this prickling sensation again. Like there had been when Willow had first put the protection band around her wrist. She had been with Willow in her own mind. She had kissed her and then the falling had started. She had gone to several universes. This felt like she was starting again. The tingling suddenly stopped and so did the fall. It was dark. She was lying in someone's arms. Still with Parker? She opened her eyes. She was looking up at Giles.
"You OK?"
Kyla nodded and tried to sit up. She felt a little dizzy but otherwise she felt fine. She looked at the band at her wrist.
"It worked. I've been to three universes and the band was there. I couldn't take other things with me but the band was there. There was something else. Seems unreal. So very unreal."
She felt Willow's and Giles' looks. They must think her crazy, she thought. No, she had to tell them about Tinkerbell because she was sitting on Willow's shoulder and watching the whole scene. Would she approve of it? Maybe Willow would know a way to bring her back to her own universe. And if she found a way to do it she could bring Kyla to her own universe as well. But which was real? If the one with the bubble had been real then she was already dying. There was no use in returning there. She had to try.
"There's someone who has come along with me."
"Where? Who?"
"I named her Tinkerbell because she looked exactly like the little fairy from Peter Pan. And as far as I know she is something like a fairy who grants wishes."
"Where is it?" Giles asked.
"She is sitting on Willow's shoulder. Can you see her?"
"No, I can't."
"I can," Willow smiled and held her hand out to allow Tinkerbell to step onto it. "She's absolutely gorgeous and really looks like Tinkerbell."
"Why can't I see her?"
"I don't want to be seen by men," Tinkerbell said to Willow.
"He's alright. He's really nice."
"Are you sure?"
"Absolutely."
Tinkerbell looked at Willow and jumped into the air. She shook her little wings and little stars began to spread around her. She sneezed and landed on Willow's hand again.
"Can you see me now?" she asked Giles.
Giles didn't say a word just stared at Willow's hand. He was used to ugly and deadly demons but he had never seen a fairy before.
"Are you OK?" Kyla asked and Giles nodded.
"I can see you, yes. What are you exactly?"
"I'm a Shiran. Normally people are not allowed to see me. But because this is my first mission as a Shiran I'm quite big. When I'm successful I am granted a smaller size. Each time I succeed I get a smaller size until I'm invisible to most living beings. This is what a Shiran wishes. Doing things without being seen."
"What about the thing with a name?" Kyla asked.
"We are not given names when we are created. The first being we are assigned to may give us a name if they wish. If the mission is successful we may keep the name. Otherwise the name is taken from us and we will grow. There are Shirans that are nearly your size. They have never been successful or have made major mistakes. I am not sure if I will be granted a downgrade but I hope things will turn out perfect for me. But why are you asking me all this? Why am I answering all this? This is not part of my job."
"Don't worry about that right now," Willow said. "We're just curious. We have never seen a Shiran before."
"I can live with that, I think. But we have to get back to where we came from. We have to finish what we started."
"Enterprise? We were on our way to the bridge, right?" Kyla asked and the others only stared at her.
"Right. Let's go. We have to finish this task."
"How can I just leave this place?"
"With me. You're simply coming with me and we'll be back. At least I hope so."
She shook her little wings and little stars began to spread around her again. This time they had a different effect. Kyla sneezed. The world disappeared in the shimmering lights Tinkerbell seemed to send out. She saw herself sinking to the floor. Everything was so huge. What had happened? She looked at Tinkerbell who was the exact same size as she was.
"What's happening?"
"I'm giving you my size so we can get to the other place where we came from. Close your eyes, things will go quite fast. And take my hand."

***

"She's back. She's back! Oh my God, she's alive!"
Kyla knew that voice. That was Dax. Was she back aboard DS9? But Terry had killed her, hadn't she? She opened her eyes. She was back to normal size again but she was in a universe where she had been killed. How could that be? And where was Tinkerbell?
"Sorry, darling, I couldn't," Terry whispered, "Julian was faster. Do you still want to leave? We could try again."
"There are other ways. You have to wish really hard and it works. Or you find yourself a good fairy and there are certain doors that lead to other universes."
"Are you alright? You sound rather - confused."
"I'm fine. I wish I weren't. I thought I wouldn't have to return to this universe again."
"We'll find a way. I'm sure. We could try again? At night and when Julian doesn't look. When everybody's sleeping."
"We'll find a way. I promise."
"Where is he?"
"Over there. He brought you to sickbay and revived you. You've been dead and I hoped that the misery had ended at least for you. I don't know what made him come over to your quarters. I think I will have to explain a lot of things to him and Captain Sisko. You were lying dead in my arms and I didn't contact sickbay. Sounds like a disciplinary hearing and rank reduction to Ensign or even worse."
"All because of me? I think I will have to talk to them as well and tell them the truth. But that means you will have to explain a few things as well. You have to start with the symbiont theory. Get yourself a tricorder to see if the symbiont is there. If it is I can tell my story the way I need it to be told. If it's not we'll have to make up another story."
"Well, I see my patient's alive and kicking again. How do you feel? And what the hell happened?"
"What do you want to hear?"
"The truth?"
She looked at Dax who had taken a medical tricorder and ran it over her belly. She mouthed "It's there" and smiled. Without making any sound she put the tricorder back where it belonged and came to stand behind Bashir.
"Julian, don't you think she needs some rest? We can talk about this later. Let me talk to her for a little while if she feels fit."
"We should ask her if she wants to talk to you. You haven't called for medical personnel when she was lying dead in your arms. Kyla, do you want to talk with her?"
"I think that's OK. We have a few things we need to talk about."
He shot her a quizzical look but left them alone without another word.
"He took it easier than I thought," Terry whispered. "You've been dead for a few minutes and you were out for about an hour. Where have you been? Have you shifted often?"
"I'm not quite sure. I think there were about 20 shifts since we last met. And the symbiont is really there? So you're Jadzia Dax?"
"Seems to be so. I'm not Terry Farrell anymore. Have you learned a few things about the realities and the shifting?"
"There is so much I have learned I don't know where to start. Do you know a race called Shirans?"
"No, who are they?"
"They are like little fairies from Peter Pan. One of t hem helped me to get from one universe to the next. Even though she has little problems because this is her first time. It works, though."
"You sound a little delusional. Do you know what you're talking about?"
"Sure. I'm trying to tell you how to get away from here. Just wish it to stop real hard. That should work as well."
"Sorry, but that sounds too far fetched to me. And where is you little Tinkerbell when you speak of her?"
"She has some trouble keeping up with me but I'm sure she'll be here soon. Maybe I should wish this universe to stop completely. You'd be back in the real world and I wouldn't have to return here."
"Sound easier said than done. But don't you think this conversation should be held in private? I think sickbay has ears everywhere. I don't want anybody to overhear this whole thing."
"I don't think I'm allowed to leave sickbay, am I?"
"I'll talk to Julian about it. I'm not quite sure if he lets me spend another minute with you alone in your quarters but I can try."
Jadzia/Terry smiled and got up. She walked towards Julian when Tinkerbell suddenly appeared. In a whirl of little twinkling stars and a sneeze she appeared right in front of Kyla's face.
"Hey there. Glad you found your way."
"You're hard to follow. What are you? Are you a Q?"
"A Q? No. I don't have those powers. Those shifts are not my intention they simply happen and there's nothing I can do to stop them. Can you help us?"
"Us? Who is us?"
"Later. Get inside my pocket and try not to move."
"I can make myself invisible and sit on your shoulder."
"Great idea. How do I know you're still there? Tinkerbell?"
The little Shiran was gone but s he felt a tugging at her earlobe. Jadzia/Terry came back and helped her up.
"He's not happy with it but we may go. To whom have you been talking to?"
"Let's go. I'll tell you later. What about the disciplinary hearing and stuff like that?"
"I don't know. I hope they forget about it sooner or later."
They walked through the corridors towards Kyla's quarters. Tinkerbell was still sitting on Kyla's shoulder and holding on to her earlobe. Kyla thought it a funny but also reassuring thing. She knew that Tinkerbell was there even though nobody could see her. When the doors of her quarters closed behind them Kyla felt a tickling at her ear and Tinkerbell was visible again.
"Terry, this is Tinkerbell, a Shiran."
Terry didn't say a thing just eyes the little Shiran suspiciously.
"You're the same as Kyla," Tinkerbell stated.
"What do you mean?"
"You feel like Kyla. Are you shifting as well?"
"Not anymore. What's this all about?"
"I told you there's a way. Tink, can you end this whole universe for us?"
"If I read your mind in the right way this is just your dream and not real. But how can this be? If I end this universe I grant you a wish. But I do things I'm not quite sure I'm supposed to do. Do you understand?"
"This is just a fantasy. It can't be wrong to end it."
"Your name's Terry, right?" Tink asked and Terry nodded. "Both of you sit down on the floor. It might be wrong what I'm doing but you've asked me to do. I don't want to know what happens to Terry afterwards but both of you seem to know what you want. I hope I'm doing the right thing. Sit down and face each other. Take each other's hands and look at me."
She hovered in the air between the two who were sitting on the floor. She murmured words in a different language and the well known stars appeared around her. There were more and more and more until they surrounded Terry and Kyla. More until they filled the room. More until they filled the station and even more until they reached the end of the dream world.
"Look into each other's eyes and wish this universe to stop."
She flew towards Kyla and grabbed Kyla's hair. Terry and Kyla looked at each other and smiled.
"I told you there was a way," Kyla said. "I wish this world to end."
"I wish this world to end", Terry echoed.
The twinkling stars Tinkerbell had created spread until the end of infinity and folded themselves back inwards. In a flash of light the universe that had held both Terry's and Kyla's fantasy ended.

The black bubble. She was still holding someone's hand. She could still feel Tinkerbell who was holding onto a strand of her hair.
"Hello? Anybody there?"
"I'm still here", she heard Terry's voice. "Is this the end?"
"This is the end, yes," Tinkerbell said. "This is where you say goodbye and leave. This has been your last universe, Terry, you're going back to your real world. Kyla has to come with me. She has to save the world."
"Sounds heroic. I hope you will manage to return to your reality as well. Thank you so much for helping me."
"You tried to do the same for me. I'm glad I could help. Hope to see you one day."
They squeezed hands and then there was a little light. It wasn't Tinkerbell.
"This is your homing beacon, Terry. Follow it and you'll be back."
"Thank you, Tinkerbell. I can't believe that this is the end. OK, gotta go."
She left. They let go of each other's hands and both Terry and the light were gone. Kyla was alone in the bubble again.
"Tinkerbell? Are you there?"

"Still there. Yes. OK, let's try to get back to where we wanted to go. Guess there are a few things I have to practice. Like these shifts. But I hope I don't have to do this too often. It is hard. But I will learn. I promise."
"It's alright. As long as nothing goes wrong and I don't end up inside out."
"Alright. Close your eyes. We're leaving."