Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 11 - 15

"Kyla? Can you hear me? No, you can't," Dax sighed and laid Kyla's unconscious body down onto the sofa. She gently slapped her face. "I shouldn't have said that. It's to early. Kyla, come on. Open your eyes."
"Dax? Is that you? Where am I?"
"Deep Space Nine. Your quarters. Where have you just been? What happened?"
"Back on Earth. Why do you ask?"
"Just curious. How much time has passed in that universe?"
"You are really Terry Farrell. I was back in the 21st century with a woman that looked like Nana Visitor. Her name was Kira and there was Jarod."
"How much time, Kyla?"
"About 2 hours. How much time passed here?"
"Only two or three minutes. You passed out when I told you who I really am. It's the same."
"What's the same?"
"Every time I passed out or fell asleep I changed universes."
"You're speaking in the past. What happened?"
"I have found a way to return to my normal time and self by getting killed in each of the universes I end up in. Deep Space Nine is the last one that's left. It isn't easy to get killed when you want to be. Killing yourself isn't easy and asking someone to do the job isn't so funny either. I took quite a long time to narrow the universes down to two. Now that it's only one I think I can finally live with it. I have been Dax for a long time and I'm feeling comfortable here. I don't see any reason to return to my own time."
"I do, Ms Farrell. In my time you are unconscious. You had a car accident and have been in a coma ever since. You should find a way out of here. Do you think that's what happened to me as well?"
"Call me Jadzia. Nobody would understand why you'd call me Ms Farrell. What's the last thing you remember from your real world?"
"A psychiatrist. My mom sent me to see one because I had a mental problem like she put it."
"A mental problem? You don't look like that."
"She said I couldn't discern reality from fiction and right now I feel exactly like that. I have no idea what's real and what isn't."
"For you everything is real and for those in the universes it's real as well. Can I ask you a question?"
"Sure. Whatever's on your mind."
"Have you been back in your own reality during all this shifting?"
"I don't know. There are some moments when I think I'm back. I hear someone call my name and when I open my eyes there's bright light and someone keep's saying that I'm slowly coming back. I have no idea what all this means but I think that this could be the real world."
"It's good to hear that. I've been experiencing exactly the same thing over and over again. Have you ever seen someone or just the bright lights?"
"Only the lights. Can I ask you a question?"
"Sure."
"In different universes I have heard people say that I was in a state of flux. Do you know what that means?"
"No but I think that this is a sign of your shifting between the universes. I haven't heard it until you came but I think it's because this is the only science fiction universe I'm in. I kept shifting between the movies and series I have been playing in."
"Don't you ever want to go back to the real world? A lot of people would be very glad to see you up and running again."
"I have no idea how to get killed. You have to think of the symbiont."
"I thought you're Terry Farrell? She has no symbiont – it's only Jadzia."
"What do you think Julian Bashir would say when I walked into sickbay and asked him to have a look at my symbiont and it suddenly isn't there anymore? That would raise some suspicion, wouldn't it?"
"What about a simple tricorder? Have you ever tried that? It should provide you with the answer you seek. Do you know what happened to the universes once you left them? Do they just collapse or do they keep existing?"
"That's a good question and I've been asking myself over and over. I don't know. Are you fit for a hot chocolate right now? What do you think about something to eat as well? I'm starving."
Kyla only nodded and slowly got up. She walked around the room and looked at everything that was supposed to be hers. It seemed a little familiar. There were things that she had in her real home as well: The red cushions, the frame with Miss Parker's photo, the nightgown was the same and even the book on the nightstand was exactly the same including the book sign. Definitely her room but nevertheless the room of a stranger. She wasn't feeling like home in here. The smell of French fries started to fill the room and she turned towards Dax who was grinning broadly.
"Do you still want a hot chocolate or something that's more 21st century like?"
"Water, cold," she said when she stood in front of the replicator and a glass appeared. It still seemed like a miracle but this was the technology they used in this century. She sat down at the table with Dax.
"It's been quite a long time since I had someone eat fries with me. And it's great to talk to someone from one's own time. Somehow I miss my life there."
"So why don't you go back? Find a way to get killed and you're free to go home."
"Easier said than done. Have you ever tried? And I like it here. And now that you're here as well I have at least someone to talk to and who knows what it's like it seems even more bearable."
"You're saying that it's bearable. So it means you're not happy here. I'm planning on going back to my own world as soon as I can. And there are more ways in shifting universes than just falling asleep or unconscious. I walked through the holodeck doors and was in another universe and even daydreaming brought me to another world. What if just wishing myself back does the trick? Or clapping my heels twice and saying 'There's no place like home' brings me back. There are so many ways we can explore. Can you come with me to my other universes?"
"I don't know. I never tried. Have you met other people like us?"
"Yes I have. There are a few from my mailing list I know of so far. Why do you care about all this? I thought you were comfortable in this universe."
"I am but I can't remember much about a car accident and I wonder how life is going back in the normal world. I miss certain people and I want to be back home. How many universes do you have to kill before you can get back?"
"Including DS9 there are five so far. I hope there won't be any more."
"Remember that you have to find a different way to get killed in each universe. Otherwise it won't work. You can't get killed in a car crash twice or commit suicide two times. Everything works only once. I tried. Believe me. And now forget everything about DS9. I think it's time for you to leave and get killed in the other universes. You're at the beginning of your journey. There are a lot of universes you have to go through. There will be a few more you haven't been to so far. I will find a way home some day."
"Dax? What's this all about? What are you talking about?"
Dax pulled a hypo spray from her pocket and pushed it against Kyla's neck. Something was completely wrong. She felt her heartbeat going slow and breathing was getting harder.
"Getting murdered isn't an opportunity anymore. I'm sorry about that. That's the only way I can help you."
Kyla found herself sliding from the seat down to the floor. Dax caught her before she hit the floor. She held her in her arms while tears were streaming down Kyla's face. She was dying. Dying in Dax' arms. But it was wrong. So wrong. She wasn't supposed to die, was she? She was far too young. Dax had been talking about that. That it wasn't easy to get killed or kill yourself. She finally understood what that meant. There would be doubts, fears but still the urgency to get out of the dream world. She couldn't breath anymore. Dax was just looking down on her.
"I'm sorry, honey. It was the only way," was the last thing Kyla heard her say before her heart stopped beating and she lost consciousness. For Kyla the universe stopped existing but it kept existing for Terry Farrell a long time after.

***

She slowly opened her eyes. It was dark inside the room and cold. She was back in the Centre. Her head felt like exploding. What had happened in this universe? She had found herself in Lyle's retraining facility and she had been drugged. Now what? She remembered everything about what Dax had said. She was dead. She wouldn't return to that universe again. But now she understood what Dax had wanted to say. It wasn't easy just to die. You can't lie down and wish to die. You had to actually do something and that was hard. Kyla loved her life and she had no intention of committing suicide in real life. And it was hard to do it in a dream as well. But no matter what happened she had to get out of here. She knew that the Centre had cameras everywhere and she doubted that this room was an exception. She just stayed where she was and stared at the ceiling trying to figure out a way to get of that cell. What would Jarod do? And what had happened to Miss Parker? Should she simply play along until she was alone with Miss Parker? Did she have a chance to get out of here all on her own? she had been accused of working with Jarod. Would he come to rescue them? She was interrupted in her thoughts when the door opened and Myra entered the room.
"Well, see who's back. Get up and follow me. And don't even think of planning an escape. You have no chance to get out of here alive."
Somehow she wasn't afraid of dying. She didn't like this universe. The only thing she was concerned about was Miss Parker. If she got killed the universe ended for her but Myra still existed and enjoyed her role as the bad guy what left Miss Parker at her mercy. She would never come back – she wouldn't have to worry about that. But getting shot didn't seem a desirable death – but a suiting death for a traitor. She followed Myra through the corridors. The drugs were still affecting her. She had trouble controlling her feet and kept stumbling until Myra ordered another employee to help her. He was about 6 feet tall with light brown hair and a muscular body. He smiled shyly at her. Somehow he didn't fit in there but he was there and helping her. She was led into a room that looked a little familiar. Parker was there as well but she seemed not to notice her or else she pretended not to. It was eerily quiet inside the room even though there were six people in it: Lyle, Myra, Miss Parker, two employees of the Centre and herself. She looked at all of them and tried to focus her thoughts on something.
She didn't manage to concentrate because the drugs were still affecting her. She was pushed down onto a chair. She looked around the room and tried to take everything in that seemed to provide any clue of where she was exactly. Maybe they'd leave her here with Miss Parker. Maybe Jarod would come and rescue her. Maybe Angelo would come to her rescue or she would die and leave all this behind. The last option sounded so easy. And so final. Lyle and Myra were talking about her and Miss Parker as if they weren't there. The young man who had come to her help in the corridor was still standing behind her his hand still resting on her shoulder. Something was wrong about him but she couldn't put a finger on it. There was something familiar in his behaviour but where had she seen him before?
"We'll leave the three of you alone right now. Enjoy your time, Kyla."
Lyle, Myra and one of the sweepers left the room. She was left in the room with Miss Parker and "her" sweeper. She had no idea what was going to happen but if Miss Parker's retraining had been successful it wouldn't be fun. If it hadn't been she wouldn't know because of the sweeper. She wouldn't tell her the truth but act as if she was completely under Lyle's control.
"Scott, would you please switch those cameras off? Just use the loop Jarod created for this room."
"Yes, Miss Parker."
"Kyla, are you alright? Can you walk?"
"Am I alright? I think so. Can I walk? No. At least not a long distance. My knees are all wobbly and I can barely keep my balance. What did they do to me? And how can I be sure you're the one you're pretending to be?"
"A Parker can't be broken. Not in the way they want. I've arranged everything. Jarod's getting the three of us outside. By the way, his name's Scott. He's one of us. He'll be coming with us on a trip into freedom."
"That doesn't sound like the Miss Parker I know."
"Would I talk about Jarod freeing us from here? Would I ask Scott to bypass the security cameras? Would we be talking about this at all? Believe me this is real. And we have to hurry. Lyle will be back in less than twenty minutes. I want to be far away when he finds out we've resisted him and his little evil plan of taking over the Centre. Scott, are you finished?"
"Yes, Ma'am."
"Can you carry her? We have to get out of here as soon as possible. I hope Jarod has chosen an easy way out of here. I don't want to be caught."
"Do you have a backup plan? What if we are caught?"
"I have backup plan," Scott interrupted, "Don't worry about anything. We'll get out of here without anybody noticing we've left until it's too late. Now go."
He pushed Parker through the door and carried Kyla through the corridors like she was a little child. Nobody was around – the building seemed vacated. They went upstairs and downstairs and through corridors and upstairs again until Kyla lost all sense of direction. Finally they stood in front of a door and Scott told her to stand on her own feet. She leaned against the wall and tried to steady herself. Scott drew a pistol from under his jacket and pointed it towards Parker.
"Open the door and walk outside. Slowly. I don't know what's out there, Kyla, you follow her close behind."
"What's going on?" Kyla whispered and felt Parker's arm around her waist.
"I hope that this is part of his plan or else we're in trouble. How are you?"
"I'm nervous. What if this was a trap?"
"If this was really a trap we have a problem. I don't have a backup plan and I have no idea where Jarod is or where we are. Scott has led us through corridors I haven't been to before. I hope he's really one of us."
She slowly opened the door and stepped outside. Somehow she had anticipated a sweeper team to wait for them outside but there was only a car waiting for them.
"Get in there," Scott said and put the gun back into its holster. He sat down on the driver's seat and they drove off. Alarms started to go off as they reached the street and drove away from the Centre. Kyla and Miss Parker still weren't sure if Scott was on their side or not. That remained to be seen. He didn't talk or look at them. He just drove the car.
"You try to sleep, Kyla. The drugs need to wear off. I hope we're save now. Scott, how long until we're at the place we want to go?"
"About 20 minutes to the airport. We'll catch a plane from there. Keep the girl awake if possible."
"You heard him, Kyla. You have to stay awake. Tell me what they did to you after I left the laboratory and who was that woman who was working with Lyle?"
"That was Myra True. She's a member of the pretendfic mailing list and I always thought she was nice. I never knew she –"
"Wait a second. What is a pretendfic mailing list?"
"I guess I have to tell you the whole story. That's going to take a while. I hope you're not easily bored. Let's start from the very beginning…"

When they arrived at the airport Kyla was finished with her version of the story but she doubted that Miss Parker and Scott believed her anyway. She had left the part about dying from her telling but she suspected that they knew anyway. She had told them that Dax had killed her and that she had regained consciousness in this universe. She hadn't told them that there was another universe with Jarod and another one with Miss Parker as a psychiatrist. She hadn't even told them that they were only characters in a TV series.
"We have to leave the car and walk the last quarter of a mile. Can you manage that, Kyla?"
"I think so. Do you believe what I said?"
"It sounds odd but I can't prove that you're not telling the truth. We have to believe you. Once we're inside the terminal building we have to search for terminal 3 gate 8. Jarod will be waiting for us. And we have to be quick. I don't know if the Centre knows we're here but if they know – you can imagine what they'll be doing to us. Put on the jackets that are in the trunk. Oh and Kyla, put that pillow under your sweater. You'll look pregnant and that would explain your unsteady walking. Miss Parker, just put on those glasses. OK, everyone out of the car. I'll carry the suitcases, Miss Parker, you'll have to help Kyla."
Before they could utter a word he was marching away with the suitcases and all they could do was follow him towards the terminal.
"He left the keys in the car. Why?"
"Someone's going to pick up the car. Maybe the sweepers will follow that car and that'll lead them on a false trail and give us a head start. I don't know everything, Kyla. I only hope they don't find us. You're doing fine. Only a few more meters and we're inside the building. Are you feeling sick? You're quite pale."
Kyla only nodded and concentrated on moving her feet. If she failed to reach their terminal they would find them. She didn't want to be found. Parker's grip around her waist tightened and Kyla was grateful for her help.
"Put your arm around my shoulders. We'll get you there in one piece. When we're there you can sit down. I'm sure you'll be fine as soon as Lyle's drugs have lost their effect. Just stay with me for a few more minutes, promise? Scott, slow down. If we have to keep your pace she'll collapse any second. How far do we have to go?"
"You're almost there," a familiar voice said from behind. Parker turned her head and faced Jarod. "Don't go through those halls. Just follow me. There are sweepers in there. A plane is waiting for us just around the corner. Can you manage a few more meters, Kyla?"
"I hope so." She hated her voice. It sounded so weak. She had always wanted to be tough and admitting her weakness was something she despised. She dragged herself along.
"Where's Scott?" Parker asked suddenly.
"He went another way. If they follow him they're preoccupied if they don't we'll meet him at the plane. Kyla, are you still with us?"
"Not much longer but I'll try," she whispered and looked at the small plane in the distance. She knew she wouldn't make it. It was too far. Darkness was creeping up all around her and she knew that feeling in her stomach. It wasn't the first time that she fainted and it wouldn't be the last. It was always the same. The world was in slow motion, everything was growing so eerily silent. She saw the ground moving up towards her, saw Parker's mouth moving as she called for Jarod's help and felt Jarod's strong arms catch her before darkness surrounded her completely.

***

Someone gently slapped her face. Somehow she was afraid to open her eyes so she kept them closed.
"I know you're awake. Just open your eyes and tell me who you are."
She opened her eyes and looked up at Miss Parker. Not the Parker from the universe where she had just been but Michelle Catherine Parker. She was back in the universe where she had met Krystal and KB.
"What happened? Where are the girls?"
"You simply stopped talking and kept staring at the wall. The girls just said they'd understand and disappeared and then you collapsed. What do they understand? I understand nothing. What have they done to you at school? Come on, I'm your friend. You can tell me what happened."
"You wouldn't understand. I don't understand it either," she sobbed. She had turned into such a fool. She was crying all the time and she couldn't even tell why. Why was she so afraid of telling Miss Parker what was wrong? What was she calling her anyway? Miss Parker? Michelle?
"Can I ask you something?"
"Sure, whatever's on your mind."
"Promise not to be angry."
"Never but tell me what happened."
"First you tell me everything about me – you – us."
"What?"
"Please."
"You really don't remember. School must have been terrible, darling. OK. You're Kyla Parker, I am Michelle Catherine Parker. I am your aunt and we've been living in this house together ever since that terrible accident."
"What accident?"
"Kyla, this isn't one of our psychiatrist sessions, is it?"
"No, I don't think so. But I really don't remember anything. You tell me everything about us and then I'll tell you my story. I'm sure you won't like it but it needs to be told. What accident?"
"The car crash that killed your whole family. You were the only one who survived. You were severely injured and had to spend several months in hospital but you survived. You are too young to live on your own in a large house so we decided you moved in with me. Your parent's house is in White Bear Lake and is still waiting for you. A nice family is living there until you are old enough to live there with your own family. Is that enough? You really don't remember anything?"
"No. Now I'll tell you my story. Maybe this will be one of those psychiatrist sessions you talked about."
Once more Kyla told her story. The same version she had told to Miss Parker in the other universe. She left certain things out and added a few things she hadn't told the other Miss Parker. Michelle was a psychiatrist after all. Maybe she'd understand.
"You look terrible. Even though your story sounds like a complete fantasy to me I'm about to believe it. I'll prepare you something to eat and then we'll talk about that later. Can I leave you alone for a while?"
"I think so. I promise I won't run away."
"Don't you dare," Parker smiled, "At least your sense of humour is back online."
"Do you have a photo album for me? I need to see some pictures of my past."
"I don't like the way you're talking about the past, darling. It sounds like you don't remember anything."
"I don't, really."
"Alright. Take this one – it's the newest," she said and reached for a book from the shelf. "That should bring back your memories. We updated the photos only last week."
Kyla wondered why Parker was speaking more like Seven of Nine from Voyager but didn't say a word and took the book from Parker's hands. It still seemed wrong. There was a Starfleet insignia on front of it but she had no idea if that was real or just her imagination. Or did Parker like Star Trek? Good question but maybe she should save that for later. She had already asked too many questions. She knew that Parker didn't believe her at all but what choice did she have? She had no memories of her life before she had entered any of the worlds – just memories of the world she came from. The girl Kyla Parker who had been sent to see a psychiatrist. She was missing something but she had no clue what that could be. She couldn't even imagine what had happened. She was deep in her thoughts and just stared at the pictures until Parker came back from the kitchen with a plated filled with scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.
"I'm sorry I can't prepare you a real meal but that's all I could find in the fridge. I hope you like it anyway."
"Of course I do. I don't know why but I'm really hungry."
"When you're finished I want you to go to sleep. I'd even give you a mild sedative if I had to."
"No more drugs. I've had enough of that already."
"What?"
*Oh no!! I haven't told her about that universe because of the other Miss Parker.* "The psychiatrist I told you about sedated me. I don't want to be forced to sleep. I need time to think."
"But you have to promise you'll get some sleep later the day. Go to bed early."
"I promise," Kyla sighed. She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep at all. She would change over into another universe and would get no sleep at all. But she was surprised to find that she wasn't tired at all. It had to be a bad dream. A nightmare. An illusion. Or time was different in this universe. She ate her scrambled eggs without saying one word. She felt Parker's eyes resting on her but didn't dare to look her into the eyes. It was so different. When dreaming about all this it had been easy. Now she was somehow afraid of Parker. She was wonderful but not very much the Miss Parker from the TV series. She wished she would look away and give her the chance to look at her.
"Let's go upstairs, honey. I'll help you up."
"I'm fine. I can walk by myself."
"You said so the last time you tried to stand up - you broke down. Don't worry. I need to get upstairs anyway."
Kyla sighed and slowly got up. She was feeling just fine but Parker seemed to have a different opinion. She took her by the arm and led her upstairs. The room which was supposed to be hers looked a lot like her room in her real home. Kyla sat down on the bed and Parker kissed her on the forehead.
"Get some sleep, honey."
She wasn't comfortable with the way Parker treated her. When she was alone in the room she got up and looked out of the window. It looked like her real home. At least from one window. From the other she could see the lawn, Parker's car and the neighbouring houses. A quite normal neighbourhood but it still was wrong. She couldn't stand being with Miss Parker any longer. She laid down on the bed and closed her eyes and hoped to wake up in a universe without Miss Parker.

***

"Kyla? Kyla, can you hear me? Honey, please open you eyes and look at me." Her mother's voice. She heard other voices as well but everything seemed so far away. She wanted to open her eyes to see what was going on but her eyelids seemed to weigh tons. Her mother was talking to someone but the voices were fading. The light she saw through her closed eyelids was getting darker until she was in complete darkness and silence.



"Kyla? Are you alright?" she heard Miss Parker's voice whispering, "You've been screaming."
Kyla opened her eyes and looked at Michelle Parker. It was dark inside her room. She was afraid of the darkness. She had been somewhere where it had been cold, dark and silent. Had she screamed? Parker's warm hand caressed her cheek.
"Do you want me to stay with you for a while?"
"Just leave the lights on. I'll be fine."
"What happened?"
"I don't know," Kyla sighed. Parker got up and switched on the light on the nightstand then she sat down on the edge of the bed again.
"Do you want to talk about it? You know that it's my job to listen and help you understand."
"I don't need to understand things when I don't know what's going on. The last thing I remember is going to bed and then I heard my mother's voice telling me to open my eyes and then there was complete darkness and silence. What's the time?"
"9 p.m. I've been sitting on the porch when I heard you screaming. Do you want to come outside with me for a while? Maybe things get a little clearer outside."
Kyla nodded and got out of the bed. She shivered a little. She didn't know if it was from the cool air or from the memories that were still inside her head. Parker handed her a sweater. Kyla smiled shyly and followed Parker downstairs and outside onto the porch.
"Do you want something to drink? A hot chocolate maybe? You know, chocolate is good for the soul," she grinned and went inside without waiting for Kyla's answer. Kyla looked around. It looked exactly like her real home. The garden, the forest. She heard the same sounds and it smelled the same. Maybe something like a waking coma and hallucinations? While Parker was inside the phone rang. When she came outside she held the hot chocolate in one hand and the phone in the other.
"It's for you. It's Krystal."
"Hello?"
"Hi there, it's Krystal. In what universe are you?"
"Back in the one we met."
"Well – I don't know how but I'm in another universe and I didn't mean to call you but I ended up with you. How are you?"
"Still a little dizzy but fine."
Parker didn't say anything but went inside.
"Can you talk?"
"Parker just went inside. I'm a little uncomfortable with her. I don't know why but she's not like the Miss Parker I know. She's cute but not really a Parker."
"I can understand that perfectly," Krystal grinned, "I wasn't comfortable around her either."
"Krystal, I think I have found a way to return home."
"How?"
"I met Terry Farrell and she told me how to do it."
"Terry Farrell? The actress who plays Dax? The one who had a car accident and has been in a coma since?"
"Exactly. She told me that she had been in different universes for a long time. Not in her favourite TV series but in all the movies and series she had a role. She said that if you find a way to get killed you won't return to the universe again. But you have to find a different way of dying in each universe or otherwise it won't work. I don't know if the latter is true but I haven't been to the Deep Space Nine universe again."
"You got killed?"
"She killed me."
"Pardon me?"
"Terry Farrell killed me with something from a hypo spray. She said it would be best for me. I'm trying to find a way out of here, Krystal, and if it means getting killed I'll get killed in every universe."
"Suicidal tendencies, huh?"
"I can commit suicide only in one universe. It wouldn't work in the other universes. It would end as attempted suicide and I'd find myself in a closed psychiatry where there's no way of getting myself killed. If you see the others can you tell them what I found out? I don't know if they want to get home as badly as I do but it seems plausible to me."
"OK, I'll tell those I see. Hope to see you someday soon. Take care of yourself. Bye Kyla."
"Bye Krystal."
As soon as she was finished Parker came back outside. She was still holding the mug for Kyla. She took the telephone from Kyla's hand and gave her the mug. Then she sat down and mentioned Kyla to do the same.
"How is Krystal? Is everything alright?"
"Yes, she's fine. She just told me some things I needed to know about sports carnival at school tomorrow."
"You won't be going to school tomorrow."
"Why not? There are no classes tomorrow and I'm sure it will be fun."
"You're staying home and in bed. There will be another sports carnival next year. Tomorrow's my free day and I make sure you are home. Don't pout. I'm just concerned about your well-being."
Kyla didn't say anything just leaned back in her chair and drank her chocolate. She had to find a way to get out of Parker's house. Maybe that would bring her to another world. She desperately wanted to get away from here. But how should she die in a universe like that where a caring Miss Parker was watching her every step? When she had looked out of her rooms' window it hat looked like home. Maybe it was like home and the lake really wasn't far. Maybe she could go swimming and simply drown? She would have to plan her own death and hope that Miss Parker wasn't a trained lifesaver. It was worth a try but that would have to wait until the next day and the next time she'd end up in this universe. Now it was time for her to go to bed and try to sleep or at least go to another universe. She hoped that there wouldn't be any more universes like Terry Farrell had said. She had trouble remembering the details from 5 universes what if there were more to come? She hoped that those other universes would turn up only when others had ended.
Parker looked at her and smiled. Had she just missed a part of the conversation.
"Sorry, what did you just say?"
"Nothing, I was simply looking at you and trying to find out what's going on in your head."
"I was thinking about nothing in particular. I'm tired. I'll go to bed if you don't mind."
"Have a good night sleep. That will help you to get better. Good night, honey."
"Good night."
She closed the door behind her and let out a sigh of relief. At least she was away from her for a while. Should she just sneak out of the front door and run away or simply go to sleep and hope that she wouldn't wake up in this universe any time soon? She decided to go to bed even though she wasn't tired. There was only one way to prove that the path in the garden was leading to the lake but she didn't want to go at night. She was afraid of being alone in the dark and at home there were owls and sometimes bears so she didn't want to be out there all on her own. That would have to wait until there was daylight outside and she had convinced Miss Parker to let her go to the lake or come with her. She closed and locked the door of her room and laid down on the bed. She wanted to be alone. The lamp on the nightstand was still on. She stared at the ceiling and was somehow afraid of closing her eyes. What if something happened during the night? What if the house was on fire and nobody could get inside to rescue her? She got up and unlocked the door again. She curled up on her bed and closed her eyes. She fell asleep immediately.

***

"Please state the nature of the medical emergency."
Kyla knew that voice. That was the Doctor aboard Voyager. To be exact that was the voice of the Emergency Medical Hologram installed on star ships in the time the Voyager was build. She tried to open her eyes but they seemed to be glued shut. She heard the beeping of the tricorder and other medical instruments. She wondered what had happened and who she was in this new universe. A crewman? Once more an ensign? Whatever it was – it had to wait until she was able to open her eyes again and look around to see what was going on around her. She felt a hand on her shoulder and heard Harry Kim's voice.
"Will she be alright?"
"I'm sure she will be, Ensign. Where have you been?"
"We have been on the holodeck."
"I know that you have been on the holodeck. What program have you been running?"
"Rock climbing at the shores of Risa. The safety protocols were on. This shouldn't have happened."
"She fell and nearly broke her neck," the Doctor stated, "I know that program. Where exactly have you been when the accident happened?"
"In the upper third of the climbing course. She was right behind me and suddenly she was gone."
Kyla didn't try to follow the conversation any longer. She had no idea why she had been on the holodeck with Harry Kim – she didn't even like character very much. And why rock climbing? She had never done that in the real world before let alone dream about doing it. She was afraid of heights as well as afraid of the dark. And now she knew why she had never wanted to do this kind of sport. She had nearly broken her neck even with the safety protocols on. They should have prevented her fall or at least prevent the impact on the ground.
"Can you wake her?" she heard Harry say and felt something cold at her neck. Suddenly her eyelids weren’t heavy anymore and she could open her eyes easily. Before she could utter a word the Doc told her not to move and pressed a hypospray to her neck. Now she couldn't move even if she wanted to.
"You've had an accident on the holodeck," the Doctor told her, "And there are a few broken bones in your body that need to be treated. I have injected you a sedative so you can't move and make your injuries worse. How do you feel anyway?"
"Where am I?"
Harry looked pale. The sickbay doors opened and Captain Janeway entered the room. She put her hand on Harry's shoulder and looked at the Doctor.
"What happened?" she demanded to know and both Harry and the Doctor started to speak at the same time. She lifted her hands and made both men stop speaking. "Harry, what happened on the holodeck? Ensign Parker, you're awake. How are you?"
"I think I'm alright."
"No she's not. She has suffered –"
"Doctor, I wanted to know from Harry what happened on the holodeck."
Harry told his story once more and Janeway looked expectantly at Kyla.
"What do you have to say to the whole incident?"
"To be true I don't remember anything that happened before I opened my eyes minutes ago in sickbay."
"That's enough, Captain. My patient needs rest. She's in no condition for a discussion. Everyone except Ensign Parker leaves sickbay immediately. I need to get started if she wants to be back on duty tomorrow. I think I know her by now."
Everyone left sickbay without complaining. Kyla wasn't comfortable being alone with the Doctor. When he thought nobody listened he started humming and Kyla had to smile. He wasn't that bad after all and he was a good Doctor. She still had no idea why she had been on the holodeck with Harry Kim or what the Doctor had wanted to say with his last comment.
"Doctor, is it normal, that I don't remember anything?"
"At least you remember that I'm a Doctor. So your way of asking wasn't correct. What do you remember?"
"I'm on Voyager. I'm Kyla Parker."
"Nothing else? That seems strange to me. Do you want to watch me perform the surgery?"
"No way. Can I leave?"
"At least you haven't lost your sense of humour," he said and pressed a hypospray against her neck. And off she was and on her way to another universe.