Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer see part 1.

An Imaginative View Of The World 43/?
by CHris

She had again fallen asleep in Giles' arms. This could be nothing but a dream. But if felt real. As real as it felt now. She was lying in someone's arms. It was cold and everything was wet. Where was she? She heard voices approaching and then there was Parker's voice. She was in the universe where she had nearly drowned. She opened her eyes and looked into Parkers eyes.
"Thank God you're alive. The paramedics are coming and we'll get you into hospital."
"No, not to hospital," Kyla croaked. She looked at Tinkerbell who was still sitting on Parker's shoulder. What if she wished herself away right now? She tried to sit up but Parker held her down.
"You're going to hospital for further examination. You nearly died and I'm not gonna let you walk out of this like nothing has happened. Not after yesterday."
The paramedics arrived. She hated to be helpless. They checked her heart and her breathing, asked a few stupid questions and jacked an IV into her arm. She felt like screaming. She didn't want to go to hospital. She felt fine. The paramedic just smiled.
"Many people told us they were fine after they nearly drowned and later back at hospital they died. No, young lady, you're coming with us. Now inhale deeply – this is pure oxygen."
She hated cables and needles that were coming and going from her body. And this cable in her face was the worst. From the corner of her eyes she saw the other paramedic with a stretcher coming towards her. She wanted to jump up and run away. Far away. Tinkerbell came flying towards her and sat down on her chest.
"Calm down and relax," she said. "Nobody here can see me and you're in capable hands. You need some rest before you come back to the other universe with me. There are a lot of things that need to be done. Now relax. Or at least try to," she added after a second look at Kyla's face. The paramedics lifted her onto the stretcher and carried her towards the waiting ambulance. Parker walked beside her and looked everything but happy. She tried to hold eye contact with Kyla but Kyla turned her head away from her.
"Don't pout," Tinkerbell whispered, "She loves you and only wants your best."
"It's too much," Kyla whispered back.

They drove to the hospital and even though Kyla kept protesting she was put in the intensive care unit. They hooked her up to more machines and more cables were attached to her body. She felt like a porcupine even though she only had a single needle in her arm. All those cables and the beeping of the machines made her nervous – and the beeping was far from being regular. Was it her? Was she really ill? She tried to recall what had happened back in the lake. She had dived headfirst into the water and the air was pressed from her lungs. Then there had been Tinkerbell and she had been talking underwater and then she had felt like drowning and Parker had pulled her from the water. Another inexplicable mystery. How had she been able to breathe under water and where had Tinkerbell come from?
She turned her head when she heard a noise at the window. Tinkerbell was sitting outside and seemed to be talking to someone. The doors opened and Parker came inside with a Doctor. They were talking to each other as if she wasn't there.
"Hello, I'm here."
"Sorry, Kyla, we didn't mean to be rude," the Doctor said. She looked a lot like Dr. Janet Fraser from Stargate only a little younger. She smiled at Kyla who tried to smile back. Then she remembered that she was angry at Parker and stopped smiling. Parker looked at little hurt.
"We're gonna let you go home tonight. Just a few more tests. You're a strong and healthy young woman but we're worried about some readings from your heart. It's irregular sometimes and that's not good but not life threatening and we're sure we'll find the cause. Your aunt is going to stay with you for the time being. You'll stay in ICU until tonight and we'll keep a close watch on you. And in case you're still angry at your aunt – it was the best thing she could have done. You might have died back at the lake. She saved your life."
"I'm not angry. Can you take the needle out?"
"No, it stays where it is. We need an intravenous access in case something happens."
"And you promise you let me go tonight?"
"I can't promise anything. If nothing happens you're free to go but if we find something abnormal you're staying."
"I'm fine and I'm going home tonight."
"We'll see. Take care of her, Michelle, will you?"
"Sure, Janet, I will. You know me," she smiled.
The Doctor closed the door behind her and Kyla looked at Michelle.
"What's her name? She didn't say her name."
"That's Janet Fraser. We went to school together. I didn't even know she was working in this hospital. How do you feel? I know you hate to be in hospital but you were dead when I pulled you out of the lake. You didn't breathe and your heart beat was erratic. I was so worried. I started CPR until you started to breathe again and then called 911 with your cell phone. You scared me to death, honey."
"I didn't mean to but something was down in the lake."
"Don't tell her," Tinkerbell suddenly whispered at her ear.
"What was down there?"
"My foot got caught in something. I don't know what it was. When I came free I tried to get to the surface but I didn't have enough air."
"Thanks," Tinkerbell whispered, "If you had mentioned me she would have been able to see me. Are you fit to go? If you are you tell her that you need some sleep and we're gone."
"Thanks for saving my life. And thanks for being there when I need you."
"I'll be there for you whenever you need me. And you can tell me everything. Keep that in mind. Now you try to get some sleep. You nearly died an hour ago you must feel exhausted."
She kissed Kyla on the cheek and got up to close the curtains. Kyla closed her eyes and nodded to Tinkerbell that she was ready to leave. Tinkerbell hadn't said where she was needed so badly but she doubted that she would go anywhere pleasant. She closed her eyes and the spinning began again. She hated when Tink did that.

–—