Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Okay, before I get on with the legal mumbo-jumbo, I just want to toss out a gigantic "THANK YOU!!!" to y'all for reading this storyline for so long. Hard to believe this has been going all the way back since November. Anyhow, thank you again. All of your feedback for the entire "Enigma Lovers" series, from Paper Snowflakes to With Me, has been absolutely amazing.

Disclaimer: I don't own "The Pretender" or any of its characters. The song is "Just Breathe," by Faith Hill. Thanx for not suing! ~Oriana


~~~~~~~~~

With Me
8/8
(Proving the Faith)
by Oriana



A warm salty breeze drifted in from the bay and through the open windows, billowing through the thin white curtains before circling lazily through the room. It was late, but a full moon bathed everything in a pale light.

In the bed, two forms lie still, looking up at the ceiling in silent content. He'd wrapped one arm around her, and was rubbing her shoulder with one finger in a slow, circular pattern.

Smiling dreamily, she lifted her head from his chest, looked into his eyes. "Do you realize," she murmured, "what this is?"

He smiled back. "What?"

"Perfection. A moment of absolute perfection. We're safe, we're home, we're together."

"You're right. I can think of only one thing better."

"What's that?"

"The moment when you become my wife."

In response, she leaned in and kiss him. "Two days. I can't believe just two more days, and we'll be married."

"Are you ready?"

"I've never been more ready for anything in my life. It's been hard enough waiting three months, but planning a wedding takes time." She rested her head back on his chest, and smiled secretively. "Of course, we couldn't wait much longer if we wanted to."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, we've only got less than nine months."

His eyes widened. They both sat up, and he stared at her in happy disbelief.

"So this is what it takes to make you speechless," she laughed.

"I-I...I mean, you're saying that--" he stuttered.

She laughed again, took his hand and placed it on her flat stomach. "Congratulations. You're going to be a daddy."

Beaming, he hugged her. "This is incredible!"

"I know. I went to the doctor yesterday, and they confirmed. I'm three weeks along."

"I--I just... Wow." She hugged him back, kissed him.

Eventually, they settled back down, still embracing. He couldn't take his eyes off of her, even after she drifted off to sleep. "A baby," he murmured, brushing her cheek. "Our baby." He kissed her forehead.

Resting his head on his pillow, with one arm around her and another under his head, Jarod stared up at the ceiling.

He was oblivious to the tiny red dot slowly making its way across the wall, until he turned to kiss Parker again, and saw the beam directed at her side. "Parker!"

Too late. A split-second, his arm stung, and everything spun. The last sound he heard was the far-off cries of a child. The world went black...

~~~~~~~~~

"...to wake up." A slap to the face and cold water soaking him. Jarod slowly came to, his head pounding. "Come on, Jarod," a man's voice insisted, "wakey-wakey."

Another slap to the face. Slowly, reluctantly, he opened his brown eyes to the scene around him, then shot up as where he was registered. A cement cell. No cot, no windows, no nothing. Just a steel door in one corner. He tried to stand, felt something hold him back.

First thought: Where's Parker?

Second thought: Oh, god, I'm back.

Third thought... Jarod studied the man in the shadows next to him. "Cox?"

"The one and only."

At the moment, Jarod didn't really care. There was only one person he was thinking of. "Where is she?"

~~~~~~~~~

"Where is he?" Parker growled for the third time. The figure in the corner, hidden in the shadows, didn't reply. After the first time she hadn't gotten an answer, she'd lunged at him, only to find her wrist chained to the wall. Now, she glared at the chain, and gave it another furtive tug.

"What, is that bothering you?" Parker looked back in shock. "Maybe if you stopped being so violent, we wouldn't need it anymore."

"Lyle?" she whispered in disbelief.

He clapped mockingly. "Very good, sis."

"But how...?"

"What, thought you'd knocked me off?" He walked closer, and smirked. "Don't you wish. Damn close, though. As it is," he reached a hand up to his temple, "that bullet left one hell of a scar. I was unconscious for eight days." He leaned close, and grinned mirthlessly. "But now, I'm back."

~~~~~~~~~

"The whole situation is really quite simple," Cox explained neutrally, standing before him. "You screwed with the Centre. Not smart. You slept with the boss's daughter--doubly moronic. But here's the one that really takes the cake--you actually thought you'd gotten away with it." He leaned against the opposite wall, and chuckled. "Oh, that's good. Anyhow, we thought we'd let you two play house long enough--"

"Meaning you finally managed to find us."

"Whatever. Point is, we've got you back. And now that you're both where you belong, it's time for a little housekeeping." Cox held up a syringe.

~~~~~~~~~

"Funny, Lyle," Parker remarked innocently, "I would've thought knives and devices of torture were your weapons of choice."

His face darkened, and he held the syringe a little closer. "Don't push it. I could always exchange this for a vile of LS49. I know you've had previous experience with the stuff, but I bet our scientists would love the chance to see the effects of the poison on an unborn child."

Parker backed against the cold cement wall. "I swear, Lyle," she hissed, "you hurt this child, and I will make you suffer."

"How quaint, you're getting all maternal. Must get lots of practice, looking after our little brother."

That caught her attention. "What have you done with him?"

"As we speak, he's back in the loving arms of his real father. He's right where he belongs, just like you and lover boy."

"How could you do that? He's your brother, for god's sake!"

"Exactly!" he snapped. "He's a Parker. He'll grow up in the Centre, just like you. Only this time, we hopefully won't make the same mistakes that were obviously made with you."

~~~~~~~~~

"So baby Parker's back, and you have us stuck in cells. Seems to me there's no need for whatever's in your hand."

"Quite the contrary," Cox remarked, filling the syringe from a vile of clear liquid. "You see, we don't just want you two locked up for the rest of your lives--you're far too valuable. No, we're going to make things the way they were."

~~~~~~~~~

"You expect me to believe that a shot's going to erase our past together?"

"No. Besides, that wouldn't be any fun."

"You really are a psychopath. You realize this, of course."

"Of course."

~~~~~~~~~

"So what then?" he demanded.

"The only solution Mr. Lyle and I agreed would be enjoyable for ourselves," Cox oozed.

~~~~~~~~~

"This," Lyle said, holding up the syringe and looking at it with admiration, "really is quite remarkable. It makes your mind incredibly open to suggestion."

"You're going to brainwash us."

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, yes," Cox replied. "The ultimate brainwash, in fact, given the circumstances."

"Meaning what?"

"Meaning, when we're done with you, the love between Parker and yourself with no longer be."

~~~~~~~~~

"Instead," Lyle smiled. "You will feel the most absolute, extreme hatred possible."

~~~~~~~~~

"Then you go back to doing simulations, and Parker continues on the Corporate fast track. Simple."

~~~~~~~~~

Two guards entered her cell, and try as she might to fight them off, they soon had her pinned to the floor. Lyle advanced with a menacing grin, and held the syringe in front of her eyes.

"Really, sis, don't bother fighting. I already told you, struggle and we stick you with the LS49." He gave a pointed look at her stomach. "And we both know you don't want that."

"Lyle..." she hissed through clenched teeth.

"Not that it really matters either way."

~~~~~~~~~

The guards released Jarod. Cox, already at the now-open door, looked back and said, "Go ahead and unlock him." They complied.

"This... drug," he managed slowly, his breath becoming ragged. "What will it do... to the baby?"

Lyle smiled wickedly. "What baby?"

"No!"

~~~~~~~~~

"You see, this lovely stuff is as toxic to the brain as LS49 is to the body."

"What?" she whimpered.

"That's right, sis," he grinned, pricking her flesh with the needle. "Your baby is as good as dead--

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! Parker shot up, a cold sweat just forming on her face. Her head darted about quickly, expecting to see Lyle. Instead, it was the same darkened bedroom, with Jarod beside her and the curtains billowing in the breeze. A dream, she realized, she'd fallen asleep after telling Jarod about the baby, and had a dream. Two deep breaths to calm herself, then Parker was out of the bed in a flash, moving about quickly but with the silent prowress of a hunted animal.

Jarod, awakened by her movements, slowly sat up and looked at her with sleepy concerned eyes. "What's wrong?"

She pressed a finger against his lips. "Shh... Don't talk. Get dressed, hurry."

Wide awake now, he nodded once and stood. Tugging on a pair of pants, he watched her pull something from the drawer, then gave a dismayed look. She pointedly ignored it--since he'd moved in, Jarod had been trying to convince her to get rid of the gun, but she'd never agreed. Now, she was incredibly grateful for it.

"Get the stuff, I'll get the baby." He nodded silently, and hurried out. The "stuff" she referred to was what they'd stuck into a large safe in the study's wall, in case of an emergency: his silver case, and all the papers and passports for a quick escape. Money was scattered in a dozen anonymous accounts, so cash wasn't a problem.

After picking up her brother, who remained asleep in the safety of her arms, Parker hurried down the hall and out the front door, with Jarod right behind him. He unlocked the doors to the car, and as he took the baby from her and placed him in the car seat in the back, the slightest sound -the crunching of stealthy feet on grass- came from behind her. Parker immediately spun, raised the gun and fired, a silencer preventing the echo of a gunshot in the still night air. A single black-clad form fell to the ground, motionless.

Jarod looked at the body, then her, and got behind the wheel. She got into the passenger's side, and he backed quickly out of the driveway. "How did you know?"

"Centre instinct. When things finally look up, always be suspicious."

~~~~~~~~~

Their hotel suite looked out onto the Mediterranean. The next morning, while Jarod continued to sleep, Parker reached out into a blooming tree whose branches leaned over their balcony, and plucked a few of the blossoms to place on the breakfast tray waiting for Jarod.

On her way to the table, she bumped against the desk. Jarod's wallet dropped to the floor. She put the flowers down, and bent to pick it up. A small white square fell to the floor--she caught it, and studied it with interest. A piece of paper. From the look of the warn edges and small tears here and there, it'd been opened and closed often. Curious, she opened it, then gasped as she realized what it was.

From the beginning of our times together, there has been an undeniable bond, a mutual feeling of trust and kindness. When I was alone, and experiencing fear that seemed almost inhuman, you would appear at my side, from the shadows of my mind, to hold me, to comfort and protect me during the worst trials of a lifetime. I have come to rely on you, and allowed you to become the soul I believed myself incapable of having.

The beginning of us was the mark of a journey, a long and frightful distance that we've traveled hand in hand. In times when hope seemed impossible, and faith was denied us by everyone but each other, we were able to endure anything. Through sheer will and love, we have survived. But now, I find myself once again without a soul, and forced to travel this last distance alone.

She forced herself to breathe, thinking back to what she'd done. A conversation with Sydney on night at her home, after she'd run home to the Centre, played through her mind.

"I know that you have your reasons," he'd said earnestly, "but what of Jarod?"

"I'm no good for him, Syd," she whispered back, staring into her tea. "I'm too screwed up for anyone."

"You really believe that? Don't you see that you're the best thing for him?"

"Maybe you're wrong."

"Or maybe you're scared."

She studied his face. "Everyone has a fear, even me."

"What are you afraid of?"

A thoughtful silence. He didn't expect an answer, but then she started abruptly, staring into the fire, "I've always made myself neutral to things--a sort of natural protective instinct. My fear is that one day, I'll wake up, brush my teeth, get dressed, and go to work. Later, I'll come home, make dinner, maybe read a book, and go to bed. And that will have been the day--the day when there wasn't a moment, not the smallest moment, when I thought of him. That's my fear--that I will one day be immune to him."

"...Love doesn't work like that."

"No, but a Parker's mind does."

She snapped back to the present with a shudder, and forced herself to finish the letter she'd written in Seattle.

...And so I stand here, at the last turn of this journey, forced into a decision that leaves me trapped in the abyss of my own mind. The only comfort I find -and it is little- is in the knowledge that you finally know the truth. You understand that, despite everything, if my breath were taken and my life ended, this love I have found will continue.

What allows me to go on, is knowing that you will continue to live as well. And that as long as one of us survives, so does a part of the other.

It is this knowledge that guards me in the last tract of a long and fateful path. I do not know where or how this will end. My only hope is that you will one day understand what I have done, and forgive me for ending our journey alone.

A shaky breath. She carefully folded the paper back up, and stuck it in his wallet firmly. That letter was a painful reminder, but it didn't matter. Not now. Everything was okay, the past was behind them. They were safe.

~~~~~~~~~

Catherine Parker had only been to Italy once, as a child with her mother. When her own daughter had been born, she'd described a hundred times as bedtime stories the amazing world of Venice, the city of exotic people, beautiful old buildings and avenues of water.

They were still in search of a spot for the wedding, but had decided to take the day off, and just enjoy the area. Part of a tour group seeing the nearby islands, they passed one in their boat that the tour didn't even stop at; something about it, however, caught her attention, and Parker insisted that her and Jarod rent a boatsman to take them out to it.

Near dusk, they arrived. The island was small, less than a quarter mile long, and like a world all its own. Situated at the top of the island's hill, gleaming in the last rays of sun, was a decorative ancient Italian chapel. One look, and Parker nearly cried. She hurried inside, and marveled at the exactness of the details. It was the chapel from the dreams of her coma.

She turned and took Jarod's hand in her own. "This is it. This is the place where we should get married."

~~~~~~~~~

The pride of the Centre is its ability to track down anyone, anywhere, at any time. The fact that Jarod had eluded them for so long was a stinging slap to the face. However, managing to bring seven people to a secret wedding, including actual Centre employees, without a trace and no clue whatsoever of where'd they had gone, would be the final insult.

In flower-and-streamer decorated pews sat Sydney, Broots and Debbie, Samantha and her parents, and Angelo with Parker's baby brother, all looking on with great admiration, and a few teary eyes, as a cheerful accented voice announced, "You may kiss the bride."

They all clapped eagerly. Broots even surprised everyone -including himself- by giving a loud cheer. Jarod and Parker laughed, then resumed their kiss.

"May I announce, for the first time in public, Mr. and Mrs. Russell." Louder clapping, as they hurried outside before the bride and groom stopped kissing.

Stepping down the two marble steps hand in hand, they both grinned happily. Exiting the chapel, they were greeted not with rice, but bubbles, as the guests blew the translucent globes into the air along their path. Parker stopped, and tossed the bouquet of white roses and baby blue lilies back. With an excited squeal, Samantha jumped up and down as the flowers landed right in her hands. Everyone laughed.

~~~~~~~~~

The reception was held back in Venice, in their hotel's large antique ballroom, lighted with chandeliers and candles. The celebration lasted long into the night. Everyone was too happy to be tired; in fact, it wasn't until one in the morning, as her father picked her up and swayed to a slow dance, that Samantha fell asleep. By two, everyone else had followed suit, and headed up to bed, except the now-married couple, slowly dancing to soft music drifting through the speakers.

As the song ended, a thought struck Jarod. He took Parker's hand, and pulled her through the open doors out into Venice with a grin.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see." He looked around impatiently, and his face brightened at the sight of a single late-night gondolier steering his long thin boat in the water past their hotel. He waved him over, and pulled her with.

There was no one to be seen anywhere. Lamplight and stars gave everything a cozy glow. The only sound was the rhythmic beating of the gondolier's rod against the water.

"I've never felt more safe," Jarod confessed, grinning ear to ear. "We've done it, do you realize that? Despite everything, despite the Centre and your father and Raines, we've won. We're finally together." He held up his hand, and the gold band reflected dimly. "We've even got the rings to make it official." They both laughed. "This incredible! I feel amazing, like I can do anything." He gazed into her eyes. "And it's all because of you... We don't have to hide it anymore--and I want everyone to know it!" He stood abruptly, almost flipping the boat over, and shouted, "I love her! Do you hear me? We love each other!" He gave a whoop, and Parker could only laugh. The gondolier, with an uncomfortable blush, continued to stare straight ahead.

They turned a corner, and the boat again neared the hotel. Music was still filtering out from the ballroom's speakers.

Jarod hopped out as it stopped, and offered his hand to help her out. They paid the gondolier, added a hefty tip, and stood at the edge, looking into the water. Then, smiling, Parker pulled Jarod onto a stone bridge connecting two blocks of Venice. She wrapped her arms around his neck, he wrapped his arms around her waist, as a new song began.

I can feel the magic floating in the air
Being with you gets me that way
I watch the sunlight dance across your face and I've
Never been this swept away

She rested her cheek on his shoulder, hugged him even closer. "I never want this moment to end," she whispered.

"Then you've got it."

"You've give me anything, wouldn't you?"

"Name the star, and it's yours."

All my thoughts seem to settle on the breeze
When I'm lying wrapped up in your arms
The whole world just fades away
The only thing I hear
Is the beating of your heart

'Cause I can feel you breathe
It's washing over me
Suddenly I'm melting into you
There's nothing left to prove
Baby all we need is just to be
Caught up in the touch
The slow and steady rush
Baby, isn't that the way that love's supposed to be?

He breathed in the scent of her hair, gently felt the soft skin revealed by the low back of her dress. "God, I love you."

"Not as much as I love you."

I can feel you breathe
Just breathe

In a way I know my heart is waking up
As all the walls come tumbling down
I'm closer than I've ever felt before
And I know
And you know
There's no need for words right now

'Cause I can feel you breathe
It's washing over me
Suddenly I'm melting into you

"I'll always need you," she whispered, as they continued to dance in a slow circle. They were alone, not a solitary other person around.

"We'll always need each other. That's what makes this so perfect."

There's nothing left to prove
Baby all we need is just to be
Caught up in the touch
The slow and steady rush
Baby, isn't that the way that love's supposed to be?

"Promise me," he said suddenly, not sure why. "Promise me we'll always be together."

"Of course," she assured him. "Always."

I can feel the magic floating in the air
Being with you gets me that way

"I love you."

She smiled. Three little words, but every time he said them, she knew with the utmost certainty that everything was right in the world. She squeezed him lovingly, and whispered gently into his ear, "I love you."

Jarod smiled, looked up--

--And saw a still form on the roof of an opposite building. Just time enough to clutch her in reaction, before two shots rang out in the night. They fell in unison, collapsing side by side on the stone bridge. His hand fell to rest next to hers, with the tips of the fingers meeting. The rings, one gold, one silver, continued to glow.

On the roof, the shooter removed his black mask, brushed a hand restlessly through his dark hair. "Never send a sweeper," he murmured with pleasure, "to do a Parker's job."

He stood, put the gun into his trenchcoat pocket with a thumbless hand, turned his back, and walked away silently.

Back in their room, the wind fluttered through the open balcony doors. Her letter lay open on the desk, where Jarod had left it before the ceremony. Caught on the draft, it floated out, then silently drifted into the water.

Blood began to pool everywhere, dying the white dressed a deep crimson. Slowly it slid down the curve of her chest, resting in the nape of her neck. The small pool of blood continued to grow, surrounding the diamonds and sapphires of a small angel charm.

The paper disintegrated in the water, the ink blurred into faint blue streaks. Just before the letter sunk completely, only one line was still legible:

What allows me to go on, is knowing that you will continue to live as well. And that as long as one of us survives, so does a part of the other.


The End!