Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

*Disclaimer: I don't own "The Pretender" or any of its characters. Thanx for not suing! ~Oriana

1) Paper Snowflakes (the original, isn't a sequel)
2) To Dance In An English Garden
3) A Night To Remember
4) The Trick Is To Keep Breathing
5) Life In A Heartbeart
6) With Me (the last in the series)


~~~~~~~~~

The Trick Is To Keep Breathing
Part III
by Orinana



"Are you sure you have to leave so quickly?" Julia asked as they all sat around the table -sans Parker- drinking coffee about two hours later. "We'd love to have you stay." Jarod nodded his agreement.

"It's a generous offer, but really, we must be heading back. Lyle'll be at our throats if we don't catch that plane this afternoon."

"I think Parker will be glad to get back," she replied. "I've noticed she doesn't seem too comfortable around here."

"It was just last night," Jarod said to comfort her. "It wasn't exactly a calm evening."

"Still, she just seems so defensive. I can't imagine why."

~~~~~~~~~

Parker stumbled from the bathroom, her head spinning. Her balance was completely askew, and she fell onto the bed more than actually sat down. A sudden, sharp pain shot through her chest, and only the pillow covering her face kept Parker from letting out a surprised shout.

~~~~~~~~~

Upstairs, they continued to calmly stir their coffee and chat. Broots was even getting comfortable enough with idea of talking with their prey, that he added a comment or two of his own.

"So," Syd spoke up, "how did you two happen to meet?"

With a slight blush, Julia glanced over at Jarod. "In Canada. My sister Lydia is the new nanny for a little girl, Samantha Lansing, living up there. I was visiting my sister, and Jarod was spending was time with the Lansings. Once thing led to another, and..." Again blushing, she moved her eyes down to her coffee.

"And what do you do?" Broots braved.

"I'm a nurse, down in Portland as a matter of fact. Although," with a look over at Jarod, "this place is growing on me." The pretender made no comment.

Sensing that this topic was not one that Jarod was comfortable with, Sydney changed the subject. "The building was built rather well," he noted, looking around appreciatively. "The best of everything, and tight as a ship."

"Yeah, it is great. They even soundproofed everything. That way, people can feel comfortable having loud parties, without worrying about disturbing the neighbors."

Syd nodded, then glanced at a clock on the nearby wall. "You know, Parker's been gone for quite a bit. Maybe I should go check, make sure everything's fine."

Truth be told, Jarod wanted to do the same, but leaving Julia alone with two people she hardly knew wouldn't be fair. "Not a bad idea," he agreed. After a thought, he added, "And why don't you take some aspirin with you? After everything that's been going on, I'd bet anything one of her notorious migraines is on the rampage."

~~~~~~~~~

Parker stared up at the ceiling, thinking ruefully back to the days when the biggest health problem she had was an ulcer, or maybe a migraine. Now, compared with what she was going through, a migraine seemed like child's play.

Suddenly, a wretched sound blasted at her sensitive ears. At first guess, she would've bet anything that it was a jet engine warming up next to her bed. But, after a moment of trying to tune out the painful noise, Parker realized it was a knock at the front door. Too exhausted to get up, and hardly in the mood for company, she didn't even bother to answer it.

After a few more knocks, Syd tried the doorknob hesitantly; finding it unlocked, he walked in.

With a groan, Parker sat up in the bed. Someone was coming in, and though just the thought of standing made the room spin 360 degrees, she had to do something to keep up appearances.

Sydney appeared a second later in the bedroom doorway, aspirin bottle in hand. He felt momentary shock at how pale she was, and the thin layer of perspiration on her forehead, but made no comment, just held up the bottle and said, "Jarod thought you may like this."

She knew the pills were useless, but managed a weak smile anyhow. "Thanks, Syd. I-I didn't hear you knock. I was in the...bathroom."

Catching himself staring at her in concern again, he visibly shook himself, and turned toward the kitchen. "I'll just get you some water."

While he was gone, Parker checked her jacket sleeve, to make sure the swelling wasn't evident. Luckily, there was no sign of her swollen arm.

Upon his return, she took the pills, then reached for the glass. Parker gulped once before taking it--at this point, even the idea of water in her system made her want to vomit.

Syd watched expectantly, waiting for her to down the meds in her usual fashion, but was surprised to see her hand suddenly break out into a violent shake, so bad that water spilled over the sides of the glass.

"Parker...?"

"It's n-nothing, Syd," she reassured him, setting the half-empty glass down. "I'm fine."

Using a stern face to cover his concern, Sydney looked her straight in the eye and said, "I've known you since you were a child. I've seen you at your worst, and this, Parker, is beyond that. Don't lie to me."

She studied him for a moment, not quite sure of what to say. She knew that she couldn't keep this a secret for much longer, not without some help. And considering her options, Syd was looking like the best. Reluctantly, she pulled off her jacket, revealing her arm. Sydney's skin color quickly neared her own paleness.

"This, Syd, is my big secret."

"Parker..." He shook his head in disbelief, unable to move his eyes from the sight.

She gave a small, weak, sad laugh. "You don't even realize what it is, do you?" He shook his head again. "I'll give you a hint. Stage one: large, swollen, painful area around point of injection, and slight nausea. Stage two: heightened nausea, uncontrolled shaking, and severe headaches and dizziness. Stage three: extreme, radiating pain, weakening eyesight and equilibrium."

"LS49," he murmured in realization and shock. "You've been injected with LS49." He struggled to keep his footing. "But how?"

"That freak last night," she replied, ignoring the fact that there were three Sydneys in front of her now. "Last night, before Jarod reached us, he jabbed me with a syringe full of the stuff...His father was hired as an assassin for the C-Centre. He must've snuck a vial or two from the weapons vault while picking his gun out, and somehow his son eventually got hold of it."

"Last night. But that would mean you only have..." He trailed off, realizing the minutes ticking away.

She wanted to reassure him. "Syd, I'm...I'm fi--" Without another word, she collapsed on the bed, unconscious.