Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

The characters Jarod, Sydney, Miss Parker, and Mr. Lyle do not belong to me. They belong to NBC as does the concept of The Centre. Roxanne, Matthew, and Garrett are my characters. This story carries a rating of PG due to some curse words.

There is a Prequel to this story: The Rescue


The Corporation
by Yvette Darveau





Colorado Springs,
Colorado


Roxanne sat on a park bench. The bright sun seemed to set fire to her golden blond curls. She was studying the water fountain that lay only four feet in front of her. The fountain was enclosed by a short tile wall. The tiles had a white background with an intricate floral pattern in navy blue. It had three water spouts in the center. The tallest water spout reaching three feet in the air before allowing the water to begin its graceful decent into the pool.

To the casual observer Roxanne would seem peaceful, but her mind was swimming with questions. When Sydney had called her, the night before, he sounded distressed and even a little frightened. She wondered what had happened to put him in such a state. He was not the type to become flustered in any situation. She also wondered why he had called her. Roxanne was desperate to find some answers. At the same time she was not sure she wanted to know. She prayed that it was not what she thought it was. She hoped that Sydney and his…friend, Miss Parker had not recaptured Jarod.

She hated the waiting. Her mind drifted from one thought to the next. The world around her melted away as she focused on all her unanswered questions. Roxanne was so engrossed in her thought process that she had not noticed the young man that sat down next to her. He had long, blonde hair that was combed into a neat pony tail at the nape of his neck. He was wearing a black sports jacket that was pulled tightly over his broad shoulders. Roxanne was finally awakened by the distinct sound of a gun being cocked. She snapped her head to the right just in time to see the young man pull a revolver from his jacket pocket. He smiled fiendishly at her as he buried the barrel of the gun in her ribs.

"What do you want?" She asked. She was amazed at how calm she sounded with a gun between her ribs. The young man just laughed quietly; enjoying the sense of control. He pushed the gun even harder into her body. Roxanne winced in pain and terror. The man opened his mouth to speak, but promptly reconsidered his actions when he noticed someone approaching the bench. It was Sydney. As he approached the bench he noticed the distressed look on Roxanne’s face. Sydney turned his attention toward the young man next to her. He looked to where the man’s right hand was located, and grimaced at the recognition of a firearm. Sydney instinctively reached for his own weapon. He pointed his gun at the young man’s head. The boy froze; not quite sure of what to do next. Sydney swiftly disarmed him. He moved closer to the boy. Sydney’s mouth mere centimeters from the boy’s ear.

"I think you better leave the lady alone," whispered Sydney. The young man hesitated momentarily. Then he leapt from the bench and ran with all his might. Roxanne let out a deep sigh of relief as Sydney concealed the weapons. He sat down beside her. He took her hand and squeezed it gently reassuring her of his presence.

"Are you all right?" his voice was filled with concern.

"Just a little shaken up, I guess…." Sydney studied her eyes for a long time to be sure she was being honest with him. "Can we go somewhere else to talk?"

"I think that would be best." He said with a smile.

The pair got up and started the short journey to the parking lot. Sydney lead Roxanne to his car. He opened the door for her and helped her in. Roxanne had to suppress a giggle but smiled to thank him. Sydney always had been the perfect gentleman. Despite his jaded past his love for humanity always found a way to surface. Once in the car Roxanne settled down for what she knew was going to be a long, quiet ride

Roxanne stared at the distinguished man driving the car. She wondered why he thought to call her. She had only met Sydney a few months ago. He and Miss Parker had burst into her house looking for Jarod. If only they knew how close they had come. Jarod had just slipped out the back door when they had come in.

While Miss Parker searched frantically through the house, Sydney spoke to Roxanne. Roxanne could tell that Sydney really cared for Jarod just by the look in his eyes. She could tell that Sydney did not want to capture Jarod. He was just doing his job, and trying to keep The Centre one step behind. When Sydney finally introduced himself she realized that this was the same man Jarod had told her about. The man that Jarod had come to think of as a father. As the conversation continued she could tell that Sydney thought of Jarod as a son.

A deep sadness tugged at her heart when she realized that the two had not seen each other since Jarod’s escape. Roxanne felt the need to get them together. Just then Miss Parker returned to the room with an angry look on her face. She had not found what she was looking for. Miss Parker glared at Sydney, who quickly got the hint. It was time to leave. Without speaking she stormed out of the house. Sydney turned to follow her, but Roxanne grabbed his arm to stop him. He turned toward her and started to speak, but she put a finger to his lips to quite him.

"Meet me at the entrance of Central Park in an hour. Come alone." Sydney began to protest but she cut him short. "Alone. You won’t regret it." When she was finished speaking he nodded and left. He got out to the car just before the impatient Miss Parker drove off without him.

Roxanne waited a few minutes to make sure they had gone. Then she called Jarod’s cell phone. He promptly answered on the first ring.

"Hello?" he gasped a little out of breath.

"Its me." Jarod drew in a sharp breath of air as he waited for her to continue. "Meet me by the fountain in Central Park in an hour. Ist important." She hung up the phone when she was finished so he wouldn’t have time to ask any questions.

"Damn it!" Jarod whispered as he threw the phone to the ground. It was impossible for him to hide his concern for Roxanne’s safety. His love for her burned deep within him.

*************************************************************************************

Roxanne paced nervously at the entrance of Central Park waiting for Sydney. She had been there for over an hour, and was beginning to think that he was not coming. Just before she was about to leave Sydney came running up to her.

"I was detained. What did you want to see me for?" He looked back over his shoulder. He was still worried that he was being followed. Roxanne just smiled. She quickly glanced around to see if there were any suspicious people nearby. When she was satisfied that he had come alone she lead him over to the fountain.

Jarod sat on the fountain wall. Watching a group of children playing. His attention was focused on two little girls playing Hop Scotch. Sydney stopped abruptly when he saw who was waiting for them. Roxanne walked up to Jarod and laid a hand on his shoulder. The light touch of her hand caused him to flinch slightly. Jarod jumped up and pulled her into a tight embrace. He let out a long sigh of relief.

"I was worried that something had happened." Jarod whispered as he tightened his grip. "Don’t ever scare me like that again. What did you need?" Before she could answer Sydney spoke.

"Its good to see you again Jarod." Jarod spun around so quickly he almost knocked Roxanne into the fountain. He stared into Sydney’s sparkling brown eyes.

"I won’t go back Sydney, even for you." He said calmly.

"I’m only here to talk." Sydney reassured him. After the initial shock wore off they relaxed. The pair spoke for hours. Catching up on each others lives, and in some cases shedding light on a very dark past.

Sydney noticed the distant look in Roxanne’s eyes.

"What are you thinking about?" he asked as the car turned into Roxanne’s driveway.

"What?" she replied as her mind was pulled back to the present.

"What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing, Syd, nothing."

As the car stopped Roxanne unbuckled her seat belt and opened the door. She quickly made her way to the front door of her modest home. Sydney was right behind her. She lead him into the living room and motioned for him to sit down.

"Would you like something to drink?" asked Roxanne as he sat softly down on the leather couch.

"No thank you. I think we better get down to business."

"All right. Why did you need to see me?" Roxanne sat down next to him. She braced herself; not quite wanting to know the answer.

"I think Jarod is in trouble. He hasn’t made contact in over a month. The Centre hasn’t been able to track him either."

"Maybe he just got too good at covering his tracks." Roxanne offered hopefully.

"That may be, but Jarod LIKES to play ‘cat and mouse.’ He calls me at least once a week, or contacts me some other way." Roxanne could hear the fear vibrating through his voice as he spoke. "I was hoping that he had contacted you. Maybe told you something, or done something. The last I heard, he was in a small town called…uh…Red Wing." Roxanne’s jaw dropped. She stared blankly at Sydney. There was a long pause. "What’s wrong?"

"That’s where I grew up… If he got into trouble up there he’s in big." She was as white as a ghost. A shiver ran down her spine as she thought about what might have happened.

"What do you mean?"

"The whole town is run be a secret organization. It’s kind of like the Mob with governmental ties. If a stranger starts asking too many questions the Corporation gets rid of them." Roxanne explained coldly. "If you’re lucky, they kill you. Usually they will lock you up and torture you first. They make you helpless as they destroy anything and everything that gives your life meaning."

"How do you know this?"

"They did it to me. They killed my brother, Sydney, they killed him while I watched." Her eyes flooded with tears as she fought to hold back the hatred. "They came after me too, but I was lucky enough to get away." The room was filled with an unnatural stillness, as if the world had stopped spinning. After a few excruciatingly long moments Sydney stood up.

"I better go and find him."

"Not without me you’re not." Roxanne stated firmly.

"But this…Corporation could still be searching for you."

"I know the town; you don’t. Besides it’s been ten years." Sydney let an annoyed sigh escape his throat. He knew that there was no way to win the argument. She would come one way or another. At least if she went with him he could try to protect her.

"All right. We better leave right away." Roxanne nodded in agreement.

*************************************************************************************

Red Wing,
Minnesota



It was one o’clock the next morning before Sydney and Roxanne drove into town. The roads were deserted. All was quiet. They had not expected to see anyone out at this late hour, but it still gave them an uneasy feeling. The silence in the car was equally unnerving. Roxanne had not said one word during the long journey. Sydney knew that she was trying desperately to keep all of her emotions in check.

Sydney pulled into the parking lot of the Rodeway Inn and parked. The two of them got out and gathered their things. They walked slowly into the lobby. They found it empty. Even the receptionist was nowhere to be found. Roxanne walked behind the desk and found an envelope with the name Rachael Phillips written on it. Rachael Phillips was the false name that she had used to make their reservation. She opened the envelope and pulled out a room key and a piece of paper. She handed the key to Sydney and read the note out loud: "Got tired of waiting for you. Your room is 130. Just fill out the registration form on the desk. See you in the morning."

Roxanne did as the note instructed. Then they made their way down the hall to room 130. Roxanne flipped on the light before entering the room. It was cold and sterile. The white walls glistened in the pale light. She walked in and dropped her stuff on the first bed. Sydney closed the door. He made sure the security chain was in place. Then he put his things on the second bed. He took off his sports jacket and draped it over the chair. He removed his gun from its holster. He set the weapon on the small table in the corner of the room. Sydney sat down heavily in one the hard wooden chairs adjacent from the table.

"I think we should try to get some sleep," said Sydney quietly.

Roxanne went into the bathroom to change into her pajamas. When she returned to the room she found Sydney sound asleep in the chair. Roxanne wrapped a blanket around him and turned out the light. She crawled into bed . She closed her eyes, but it was useless. She could not sleep. Her mind was filled with dozens of painful memories.

************************************************************************

A few hours later Sydney awoke to the sound of Roxanne’s quiet sobbing. He could hear the anguish in her cries. He remained still for a long time . He wasn’t quite sure of what to do. Finally he pushed himself to his feet, and walked over to Roxanne. He sat down next to her, and placed a hand ever so lightly on her shoulder.

"I’m here if you want to talk." He said as he moved his other hand to her cheek. He turned her head so she would face him. When their eyes met Sydney discovered the great sadness buried behind those stormy, gray orbs.

"Every time I close my eyes I see him, Sydney;" Roxanne whispered. Her voice had transformed into that of a small, frightened child. He could feel her body tremble in his grasp.

"Who?"

"Garrett, my brother. I see him sprawled across the ground. Blood soaking his shirt." Her throat tightened as she fought to contain her tears. "I can hear the bullet ripping through his chest. I tried to save him….I tried but Matt held me back. My best friend kept me from saving my brother." A single tear ran down her cheek.

"How did you get away?"

"After Garrett hit the ground Matt loosened his grip. I twisted out of his hands and ran. I heard them shooting at me , but I just kept running. I’ve been running ever since. I’m running from all the memories more than anything else."

"What did the Corporation want with your brother?"

"Our father worked for the Corporation before he died. He designed weapons. My father didn’t know that the weapons he had created were being sold to foreign countries to aid in their petty little wars. When he found out he threatened to go to the police if they didn’t stop. Before he could get there, he and my mother were killed in a car accident. I was only twelve at the time so Garrett took care of me."

"Did the Corporation kill your parents?"

"Yeah, and Garrett found out. That’s why they killed him. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time." Roxanne laid her head on Sydney’s shoulder. He wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly.

After a while Roxanne’s breathing fell into an even pattern as she surrendered to exhaustion. Sydney gently laid her head on the pillow and pulled the blanket over her. He stood up and began pacing around the room . Nervous energy pulsed through his body. Deep in the back of his mind he could hear himself scream in frustration. Sydney prayed that Jarod had not fallen victim to the Corporation.

*************************************************************************************

When Roxanne awoke the next morning she found Sydney staring out the window. He was lost in his thoughts and his own fearful imagination. Thin red lines covered the whites of his eyes. It was obvious that he had become a victim of worry induced insomnia. His arms were folded tightly across his chest. His facial features were locked in an expression of utter frustration.

"What time is it?" Roxanne asked softly.

"Seven," he replied without even turning away from the window. His speech was controlled and emotionless, but Roxanne knew he was in pain. She understood the overwhelming feeling of helplessness he was experiencing. She felt the same way when Garrett was killed.

"We better get started." Roxanne wanted to say more. She longed to ease his suffering, but Sydney was a very private man. She knew that he would rather deal with it alone. "I thought we could start on Main Street. We can go through the little shops and work our way down to the YMCA."

"I hope Jarod is all right."

"I hope so too."

*************************************************************************************

Their first stop was the St. James Hotel. Sydney and Roxanne circled the around the lobby asking the employees unobtrusive questions. Desperately searching for any clues, but to no avail. They decided to split up in an effort to cover more ground. Roxanne went to investigate the YMCA while Sydney explored the small stores that littered the streets.

Roxanne entered the YMCA and talked to the receptionist. The receptionist was unable to help her. She then turned to some of the patrons. It seemed as if Jarod had fallen off the face of the Earth. She assumed that Sydney was having the same problems. She walked around a little longer hoping to stumble over something. Her optimism faded. Roxanne began to feel lost and alone. She just hated being back in Red Wing. Everywhere she turned something reminded her of the family that was stolen from her. Not to mention the friend that had betrayed her. As she began to walk toward the door her footfalls became heavier. She was beginning to think that they would never find Jarod.

Once outside her mood lightened. The warm, bright sun awakened new energy deep within her. She glanced around for the next good place to search. Something across the street caught her eye. It was Jarod. He was sitting outside Taco John’s eating potato oles. Roxanne’s heart threatened to burst as relief flooded every fiber of her being.

She started to run toward him. She only got a few feet when a hand caught her left arm and pulled her back. A new sense of fear ripped through her as she tried to scream. Another hand covered her mouth before she could make a sound. Roxanne bit down instinctively. Trapping the mans fingers between her teeth. The man grunted loudly from the sudden pain. He tried to pull his hand free but Roxanne only bit down harder. The warm, salty taste of blood filled her mouth as she broke through the skin. The man tore his hand from her mouth and released his grip. Roxanne once again started to run but was cut off by another man. The man behind her quickly recovered from his wound and drew his gun. Roxanne whipped around to face him. He had a small gun, but it was deadly just the same. She decided to remain where she was. The other man approached her from the rear. He roughly grabbed her wrists. After violently fastening her into hand cuffs he pulled her closer. He was so close to her she could feel his coarse skin against her cheek.

"You had better learn how to behave," he said with a sickening laugh.

Roxanne raised her head to look at her capture. Instead she saw Sydney turning the corner. She lowered her eyes again so the men could not see where she directed her gaze.

"You better learn how to treat a lady," Roxanne replied in a voice that was barely audible.

A black car pulled up to the curb and the back door swung open. Sydney turned toward Roxanne just in time to see her forced into the car. Before he could react the car sped away.

A sense of panic settled in the pit of his stomach, but he would not let it over take him. Sydney scanned the area for any suspicious characters. What he saw was Jarod. Sydney quickly made his way across the street.

"Jarod, thank God you’re safe," Sydney gasped as he reached the table where Jarod was sitting. Jarod started to smile at the sight of this tired, old man. However, he stopped when he saw the look on Syd’s face.

"What’s wrong Sydney?"

"I thought something had happened to you. I hadn’t heard from you for so long. The Centre has been tearing this state apart searching for you."

"I was trying to take a, I believe you call it a vacation from playing our little game. Is that what you’re all worked up about?"

"We thought you were in danger."

"Who is ‘we’?" Jarod asked with a renewed sense of interest.

"I asked Roxanne to help me find you. She grew up around here." Jarod smiled at the mention of her name. It brought back all the memories attached to it. They were some of his happiest memories.

"Roxy’s here? Take me to her." Sydney cast his eyes downward and slowly took a deep breath.

"I can’t. I don’t know where she is." Jarod cocked his head to the side. He gave Sydney a puzzled look.

"But you said she came with you?

"She did, but…." Jarod intensified his gaze willing his friend to finish. "Can we go somewhere a little more private?" Sydney’s silence was frustrating, but Jarod understood. Taco John’s was not the most secure place to discuss such things.

*************************************************************************************

As soon as the car door slammed shut Roxanne screamed as loud as she could. That, however, did not last long. The man sitting next to her bashed her head against the window. The force of the blow caused her ears to ring loudly. Roxanne shook her head trying to regain her composure. She still thought that maybe she could find a way out.

All of her distant hopes were dashed as she caught sight of the hypodermic needle the young man held. Roxanne slumped over in her seat; defeated. She felt a sharp pain as the needle was inserted into her right arm. She blacked out almost instantly.

*************************************************************************************

Once inside Jarod’s apartment, the two sat down in the living room. There was a long moment of silence. Finally Jarod spoke.

"Where is Roxy?" Jarod asked calmly.

"They have her. Where, I don’t know."

"Who has her?"

"The Corporation. They must have found out she was here." Jarod knew of this so called ‘Corporation,’ but he had chosen to sit back and observe it for a while. He was not quite sure how to dispel all of it’s evils just yet.

"Why would the Corporation want Roxy?"

"Ten years ago she watched them murder her brother. He had found out that the Corporation was responsible for the death of their parents. Roxanne knows too much. Its amazing that she has evaded them for so long. I guess her luck ran out."

"Damn it, Sydney!" Jarod yelled as he slammed a clenched fist down on a near by table. "You knew they were after her and you let her walk right into the foxes den."

"Calm down. I tried to stop her. She insisted on coming because she thought you were in trouble. She wanted to help you." Jarod closed his eyes, and released a long breath of air; hoping to dissipate some of his rage. He knew how hard headed Roxanne could be. He didn’t blame Sydney; he blamed himself. He felt responsible for this whole mess.

"If she dies I’ll never forgive myself."

"How do we know that they haven’t killed her already?" Sydney asked sadly.

"After ten years of searching they’re not going to let her die easy…,"Jarod explained. "They’re going to make her suffer."

As much as Sydney tried to convince himself that they had given her a quick and easy death; he knew Jarod was right. After all, if the Centre ever caught up with Jarod, Mr. Raines would see to it that Jarod’s spirit was crushed. Needless to say Mr. Raines would have him beaten and tortured until he begged for death.

*************************************************************************************

As Roxanne came to she could hear a couple of men talking in the next room. She was only able to decipher a few phrases because her head was still swimming with effects of the drug she had been given.

"So this is Garrett’s little sister," the first man said. "Why would she come back here after ten years? Especially when she knew we were looking for her."

"I don’t know. I’m sure she has realized the error of her ways," replied the second man. "What should we do with her?" Roxanne couldn’t help noticing a familiar quality in the man’s voice. She knew that she had heard it before, but where?

"Put her in a confinement cell for now. I’ll ask Mr. Griffin what he wants to do with her. My guess is he’ll want to keep her around for a while." Both men began to laugh incessantly.

Roxanne tried to move. She found that she was still handcuffed, but thankfully her legs were free. She struggled to stand up, but the drugs had made her too weak. She fell back to the floor unconscious.

*************************************************************************************

Jarod had no idea of where to even start looking. He knew of the existence of the Corporation, but he had not been studying it. He had come to Red Wing to relax for a while. Climb the bluff, go fishing, and just live without having to worry about the Centre or Miss Parker ruining his fun. Jarod had been trying to take a vacation.

Jarod knew a little about the Corporation, but not as much as he needed to know. The whole organization was run from Memorial Park. Actually it was run from under it. The only known entrance to the under ground compound was through a small castle-like structure at the summit of the park. There was a hidden trap door in the bottom of the structure which allowed access to the organization below. The only problem being an armed guard and the necessity of an identification code to enter. He could easily get in. The problem would be in finding Roxy and getting her out undetected. He would have to get inside the organization. Much easier said then done. The Corporation was so secret that the town folk did not know of its existence. Jarod was unaware that he was missing the most important piece of information. The Corporation was just another division of The Centre. It was run and maintained by the Triumvirate. Sydney had not known about the Corporation himself. However, Sydney had the tendency of being left out of the loop.

*************************************************************************************

Roxanne awoke to a very unwelcome sight. Bobby Griffin was standing right in front of her. She closed her eyes hoping to purge her mind of the vision. Bobby was the same man who killed her brother. The single man responsible for destroying her life. He was dressed in a black suit that seemed to accent his evil personality.

"It’s so nice of you to visit us Roxanne," he said with a sarcastic smile. "I do hope that you enjoy your stay." His icy, blue eyes cut into her as she returned his gaze. Never willing to concede.

"I’m not going to be as easy to kill as Garrett. I know what kind of monster you are," she replied with a laugh; trying to throw him off guard.

He ran a hand through his short black hair and smiled widely.

"Good…," he hissed. "I was looking for a real challenge."

Before Roxanne could say anything further, he drove his gloved fist hard into her stomach. She bit down on her lip to keep from crying out in pain. Then he picked her up by the throat and threw her against the wall. She gasped quietly for breath as the air ran out of her lungs. Bobby held her there for a long time. All the while staring into her eyes. He enjoyed the pain he found there.

"I don’t know why you came back…but I’m going to make you regret it," he whispered only loud enough for her to hear. Then he let her fall to the ground. She remained on the ground as Bobby released her from her handcuffs. Her body ached too much to move, but in spite of the pain she smiled as he turned his back. She knew Jarod was safe and that Sydney would have found him. So even if Bobby decided to kill her she could die happy.

"I have other things to attend to, but rest assured, I will be back." Bobby mumbled as he left the room. Roxanne heard him lock the door behind him.

*************************************************************************************

Jarod paced around the room wildly. It had been two days and he still didn’t have any leads. He knew where Roxy was but he couldn’t get to her. He was afraid that time was running short.

"Jarod you need rest," Sydney stated in a fatherly tone. "You haven’t slept in two days. You won’t be any help to her if you’re exhausted."

"I’m use to it, Sydney. Besides I’ve never been a very sound sleeper," Jarod said as he sat down heavily on the couch.

"No you haven’t."

Jarod knew that Sydney was right but he just couldn’t let himself sleep. Not without knowing she was safe. Not without being able to soothe her pain. He needed to be able to wrap his arms around her and listen to her breathe as she sleeps. He wanted to hear her whisper softly in his ear. Jarod began to smile as he remembered how much it tickled when she did that. His body began to ache as he recalled how good it felt to have the warmth of her skin against his body. God he loved her. Tears came to his eyes as he reflected upon the last conversation he had had with her. It seemed so far away now.

"Where are you going to go now?" Roxanne asked timidly.

"Where someone else needs me. I wish you would come with me," Jarod replied as he wrapped his arms around her.

"I have too much that needs to be done here," she explained. "I need some more time to get things straightened out." Roxanne returned his embrace.

"I’ll come back for you. I promise." Jarod gave her one last tight squeeze; not wanting to let go. "I’ll be back soon."

"I’ll be waiting." Roxanne kissed him softly on the lips. Then whispered, "Good bye." Jarod nodded and walked away. "I love you," she murmured quietly. She was unaware that he had heard her.

He could almost hear her whisper to him again. He never should have left her. He should have stayed with her until she was ready to leave. Now because of his wanderlust and his need to help others he was in danger of losing her. Jarod couldn’t let that happen. He wouldn’t sleep until she was safe. Every time he closed his eyes he could hear her screaming. Her cries for help echoed in the back of his mind. He had to save her, and let her know how much he loved her. He hadn’t told her that the last time they had spoken.

*************************************************************************************

Roxanne sat on the end of the small bed in the far corner of her cell. She was weeping quietly. Her body throbbed with the pain of her last beating. Bobby had gotten tired of using her as a punching bag so he had ordered his goons to whip her. The sick bastard would sit back and watch as they did it too. He took great pleasure in every grunt of pain and every tear that was forced from her. Her blood soaked shirt clung to the wounds that covered her back.

She jumped at the sound of the door being unlocked. They had just finished beating her a little while ago. They would not be back so soon; unless they had decided to kill her. Someone entered the room but Roxanne refused to look up. She did not want to see who it was.

"Ohh Roxy…what have they done to you?" asked a familiar voice. Roxanne looked up into the eyes of her old friend. The friend that had betrayed her. "Why did you come back?"

"Matthew?" she asked not believing her eyes. Matthew just nodded as he sat down next to her on the bed. "I thought maybe you’d like to finish ripping my heart out," she said sarcastically. Matthew cast his eyes downward as the pain of her hurtful words brought back the memories of that horrible day.

"I deserve that, and anything else you want to sling at me. Just please let me explain. I’ve waited ten years to explain what happened."

"I really don’t have much of a choice do I?"

"No you don’t. I was the one who helped Garrett find the truth about the death of your parents," Matthew began.

"If he had never gotten that information he would still be alive!"

"Yes, but his life would be incomplete. He begged me to help him find the truth. When he found out he knew he was in danger. He didn’t want you to get involved, but he knew you better then that. He asked me to keep you safe. I reassured him that I would. I hadn’t realized how hard of a job that was." Roxanne laughed a little at the truth in his words. Matthew smiled as he remembered how good it was to hear her laugh.

"I followed him that day. I could tell that there was something that he just wasn’t telling me."

"I know. I was following you. Do you know why he was there that day?"

"No"

"He came to confront Bobby about your parents. You see, Bobby was the one who had given the order to kill them. You know all the rest. I held you back because I promised Garrett I would keep you safe. After you ran away I shot my gun just above your head so Mr. Griffin wouldn’t end up shooting you. I always hoped that I would be able to explain things. I just wish I wasn’t telling you these things in here."

"If you know what horrible things the Corporation does, then why do you still work here?" Matthew let out a sad, uneasy laugh.

"You don’t tell the Corporation you quit. The Corporation tells you when you’re finished," he explained. "I came to help you out of here, but their watching me too closely." Roxanne smiled faintly at the small glimmer of hope that he had given her.

"Find a man named Jarod he can help you. If he’s still here anyway."

"Oh he’s still here. I’ve been instructed to keep an eye on him and his gray-haired friend."

"They’ll be able to help you." Matthew nodded and turned to leave.

"Thank you," she whispered as she heard his hurried footsteps run down the hall.

*************************************************************************************

Matthew knew exactly where to find Jarod. He waited until it was dark before making his way to Jarod’s apartment. Matthew knocked loudly on the door, hoping against hope, that someone was there. Jarod was startled awake by the noise. He got up and made his way to the door. Before opening the door he grabbed his gun. He cocked the gun and opened the door. Matthew jumped when he found himself staring down the barrel of a very mean looking Beretta.

"Who are you?" Jarod asked as he motioned for Matthew to step inside. After Matthew had entered the room Jarod pulled the door shut and locked it.

"My…name…is…Matthew. I’m a friend of Roxanne. She said you could help." Jarod uncocked the gun and threw it on the table next to the door.

"Is she all right?" Jarod asked. Completely unable to hide his excitement.

"She is all right now, but that’s not going to last long. She’s being held at our main base. I can get you there and in, but I can’t do anything else. She is on the first floor. Confinement cell number twenty-five. The room is heavily guarded. Please help her I promised to keep her safe." Jarod let out a sigh of relief. At least Roxy was alive and he had a chance to get her out.

Sydney entered the room. The voices had awakened him.

"Who’s this," Sydney asked gesturing toward Matthew.

"This is our savior," Jarod answered with a smile. He turned back to Matthew. "I need a guards uniform. Can you get me one?"

Matthew nodded quickly. Glad that he had found the help that he needed to save his friend's life.

*************************************************************************************

"Wake up!" Bobby yelled as he slapped Roxanne across the face. She leapt off the bed and stood facing him. He pushed her back down on the bed. She winced in pain as she hit the wall. "So… are you having fun yet?"

"Oh loads," she whispered only loud enough for him to hear. Her response only got her slapped harder. Bobby glared at her. His hate and anger growing by the second. He grabbed her shoulders and threw her across the room. Roxanne hit the wall and fell to the ground.

"I see you haven’t lost your attitude. I guess we’ll have to teach you how to behave." Bobby started walking toward her. She was determined to ruin his fun. He wouldn’t get any satisfaction from her. He knelt down next to her and smiled. Roxanne stared into his eyes and returned his smile. She struggled to her feet and walked back to the bed.

"I’ve never listened to anyone before; what makes you think I’ll ever listen to you?" she replied with a cocky tone in her voice. Bobby inhaled sharply and stood up. He walked over to the door and opened it. He hesitated momentarily then turned to face Roxanne.

"Be careful, Roxanne. I may get tired of you." He stepped out into the hall and locked the door behind him.

"I’m tired of being your toy," she called after him. She knew no one could hear her. Some things just have to be said.

*************************************************************************************

"Jarod, are you sure you can pull this off?" Sydney asked as he paced around the room. Jarod let out a tiny laugh.

"Are you questioning my pretending abilities Sydney?"

"No, I just…," Sydney let the thought drift off when he heard a loud knock at the door. Jarod lightly slapped Syd on the back and opened the door. Matthew walked in carrying a bundle of clothes.

"Here’s the uniform you wanted. I hope it fits." He pushed the bundle toward Jarod. Jarod took the clothes and excused himself to get changed. After he had left the room, Matthew turned his attention to Sydney. "Do you think he’ll really be able to get away with this?"

"Don’t worry. Jarod can get away with anything he puts his mind to." Matthew wasn’t sure, but he thought he saw pride in Sydney’s eyes.

Jarod came back into the room. Matthew’s jaw dropped when he saw how well Jarod fit the part.

"After you get through the trap door, climb down the latter until you reach the first door. That’s where you’ll find the confinement cells. Roxanne is in number twenty-five. There will be at least one guard at the door. Mr. Griffin isn’t taking any chances this time," Matthew explained.

"You’re a good man, Matthew. Thank you for everything you’ve done," Jarod told him.

"I’m just fulfilling the promise I made to her brother. I can’t bear to see that man hurt her anymore. Listen, can you do me a favor?"

"What?"

"When you get her out, and she’s safe. Tell her I’m sorry that I wasn’t a better friend to her. Tell her that I will always cherish the time we had together."

"Why don’t you tell her that yourself?" Sydney interrupted.

"I don’t think she would want to hear it from me. I ruined her life."

"This Mr. Griffin ruined her life, not you," explained Jarod.

"Please, just tell her."

"I will," Jarod reassured Matthew.

*************************************************************************************

At around midnight Jarod, Sydney, and Matthew met an the ominous stone entrance at the summit of Memorial Park. Matthew had already taken care of the armed guard. He punched in the access code and backed away.

"It’s up to you now. Good luck."

"I’ll be waiting for you at the bottom of the bluff," Sydney whispered.

"Do be careful." Jarod just smiled and began his decent into the dark hole.

Jarod had only gone about twenty feet when he reached to first door. He quietly opened the door and slipped into the hallway as silently as a cat. He looked to his right and saw two guards standing in front of a door at the end of the corridor.

"Hey I need your help over here," he yelled to the two guards. "Those two strangers are poking around up there." The two guards quickly left their post and ran toward Jarod. As the first man started to climb the latter, Jarod knocked the second man unconscious with the butt of his gun. Then he pulled the first man off the latter and punched him square in the jaw. He fell lifelessly to the floor. ‘This is entirely too easy,’ he thought to himself.

He turned back toward the door just in time to see Mr. Griffin enter it. ‘Oops, I spoke too soon.’

When Roxanne saw Bobby enter the room she stood up. Staring him straight in the eyes. Making sure that he knew he could never destroy her sprit. Bobby walked up to her and pushed her down to her knees. Then he pulled her hair back until she was looking him in the eye again.

"Are you ready to die," Bobby whispered as he pulled out his gun. He began to wave the gun in her face. "I’ve grown tired of dealing with your insolent behavior. You no longer please me." He straightened up and pointed the gun at her forehead. His finger tightened on the trigger.

Suddenly there was a loud knock at the door. Bobby cursed under his breath as he turned toward the noise.

"What do you want?" he yelled. "I’m trying to execute someone here." The door flew open and Jarod walked in.

"I wouldn’t do that if I were you," Jarod said in a mischievous tone. Then he paused. "Mr. Lyle," he whispered. "So you crawled out of your little hole once again." He flashed a most evil smile in Bobby’s direction. "I should have known. This whole situation had your Hallmark all over it."

"Jarod. This day keeps getting better and better. Not only do I get to kill Roxanne who has plagued my life for the last ten years, but now I can turn you in too. Mr. Lyle noticed that he was unarmed, he raised his gun, and began to yell for the guard. Two men rushed in to the room. "Hold that man while I finish my business here," ordered Mr. Lyle. The two guards grabbed Jarod in an effort to restrain him, but he slipped easily out of their grasp. Mr. Lyle aimed his gun at Jarod and got ready to fire. Before he could, Roxanne kicked the gun out of his hand.

Both Mr. Lyle and Roxanne lunged for the weapon as it flew across the floor. Roxanne got there first. She quickly pounced on Mr. Lyle before he could regroup. She pushed him to the ground. She held him there with the gun pointed at his head. Jarod quickly fended off every offensive maneuver the two guards attempted. Before too long he had them both rendered unconscious.

"Are you ready to die?" she asked. Mocking his previous question. Roxanne pulled the hammer back on the revolver. Readying the weapon for discharge. Jarod walked over to her and put his hand on her shoulder.

"He’s not worth it Roxy. Please. Let it end here."

"It’ll never be over Roxanne. I’ll hunt you down like a dog. You’ll never be safe from me. I won’t rest until I’ve destroyed your whole family," Mr. Lyle boasted bravely. "Just ask Jarod, he can attest to that." Lyle sneered at Jarod. "It was easy enough for me to kill your brother. It’s only a matter of time before we have you back."

"Shut up before I kill you myself," Jarod yelled at Lyle. Then he turned his attention to Roxanne. "Don’t listen to him. I know you were angry when your parents were killed, and I know that Garrett’s murder left you lost and alone. Don’t you understand? He can’t hurt you anymore."

Roxanne turned to face Jarod. Their eyes locked. His eyes always betrayed him, and deep within them Roxanne found her refuge. She knew he was right. There was nothing more for Mr. Lyle to take; except Jarod. Jarod would never let that happen. He would never go back to The Centre, and Lyle didn’t seem to be too good at following Jarod. She smiled at Jarod. Then she turned back to Mr. Lyle. She fired the gun just above his head. Lyle passed out from shock

"You’re right Jarod. Tie him up and lets get out of here." Jarod quickly did what he was told. When he was done they left, and locked the door behind them.

They hurried down the bluff to where Sydney sat waiting. Jarod helped Roxanne into the back seat. Then he got in after her. She leaned up
against Jarod, forgetting the deep gash marks the whip had left on her tender flesh. It didn’t matter though, they didn’t seem to hurt anymore. Sydney started the car.

"Where to?" he asked.

"Anywhere," Jarod replied. "Anywhere but here." He turned to Roxanne and brushed the hair from her face. "Don’t ever scare me like that again, Roxy."

"Don’t ever leave me again. Please." Jarod looked deep into her eyes. Her eyes also had a tendency of giving her away. Those stormy, gray orbs that had cried so many tears through the years shone back at him. They contained a newness, and a breathtaking beauty that he had never seen before.

"I won’t. I promise." He held her tightly and kissed her lightly on the forehead.

" Jarod? Did Bobby really kill your brother?" Sydney’s ears perked up as he realized what she had said. He knew that Lyle had killed Kyle, not this Mr. Griffin guy.

"Yes. He was trying to kill me, but Kyle jumped in front of me."

"Mr. Lyle…," Sydney let his sentence drop. There was no need to say anymore.

"Yes Sydney, Lyle was the one holding Roxanne," explained Jarod

"Then that must mean that The Corporation is run by The Centre. How have they managed to keep an organization like that so secret," questioned Syd.

"They’ve managed to keep The Centre a secret." Sydney just nodded. Jarod gazed down at Roxanne. She had made herself quite comfortable curled up in his lap. "I love you Roxanne. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you that before." Jarod felt as if a heavy weight was lifted from his heart and soul.

"I know Jarod, I love you too." Roxanne smiled at him brightly.

"That friend of yours, Matthew… he really cares about you. He wanted me to tell you that he was sorry for not being a better friend."

"He’ll never know what a good friend he was to me. He finally helped me see the truth."

"Well we’ll just have to see about telling him that won’t we." Jarod smiled at her as he wrapped his arm around her. Holding her tightly. Roxanne laid her hand across his chest. She squeezed him gently. The pair released a collective sigh as they drifted off to sleep. Sydney drove them off into the sunrise. He was very content with the way everything had turned out. Too bad he would have to return to The Centre, but in doing so he helped Jarod the best way he could.

THE END