Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All related Pretender ideas are the property of NBC’s not mine. The rest of the characters are though. Enjoy!
Author’s Note: This one is a shorty. It shouldn't take you a while to guess who the narrator is.





MY BABY BOY

by AngelWings





“I’m so proud of you,” I spoke gently to him, watching his soft features grow into a smile. “I love you so much.”

Softly brushing my hand on his leg as I climbed to my feet, I watch him flip his legs onto the bed and pull the covers back. “Tomorrow you are going to school. Make me proud, baby.”

Kissing him on his forehead, I smile once more, watching his brown eyes slowly close tiredly. Before turning off the light, I quickly glance at the little lunch pail that sets on his nightstand, a scene of cowboys painted on the front. I smile at the memory of how his face lit up when he opened it, all excited and cheerful of going to school. He is so smart, so very smart indeed. He’ll blow those teachers’ socks off, I had told his father.

Slowly walking to the door, reluctant to leave, I glance over my shoulder at the little boy curled under his covers, sleeping peacefully. His soft even breathing fills the room and fills my heart with joy. I love my baby boy. He’s my special little guy.

Turning, I leave his room, shutting the door behind me.

{{{{{{{{

“How is he?” he asks, as I enter our bedroom.

I smile at him as I climb onto the bed and pull the covers over my body to my chest. “He is sleeping dreamlessly. He is so smart, you know that?”

I watch as the smile softens his features. “I know. He gets it from you,” he says softly, leaning towards me to place a kiss on my forehead.

“I think he gets [some] of it from you too,” I say with a smug smile playfully. He returns the smile and kisses me on the lips passionately.

“I love you, dear,” he whispers against my lips.

{{{{{{{{

His screaming… oh god he is screaming!

I jolt up in bed, fear making my body burn, and wait for further noise. Did I dream it?

My question soon is answered when his child-like screams of fear fill the house again. I leap out of bed, waking the man next to me as well, and take off down the hall in full speed.

Opening his door in one smooth motion, I am just in time to see his lunch pail hit the floor with a clang. Gasping in shock and panic, my eyes skip to the half open window of his bedroom across the room. Screaming his name repeatedly, I take off towards the kitchen.

I see that my husband is already in the kitchen, just now taking off out the front door. I run after him at full speed, stamina in my strides and fear in my heart.

Both of us are in time to see two men in black jump in a back seat of a black car, my baby boy in their arms, struggling with panic. I scream his name once more and I hear him call back.

“Mommy!” he screams, tears cracking his voice.

I watch as the car consumes my child and I watch helplessly as it begins to drive away.

“Damn it!” my husband curses, taking off towards the house, probably to call the police.

But my heart and mind are not at all on the thought of getting help. I want my baby boy!

The pebbles and stones grind into my bare feet as I run down the driveway after the car. Tears blind my vision, but my heart is my eyes now, guiding me to my child, ignoring the pain in my feet.

“My baby!” I scream. “Please don’t take my baby!”

The car doesn’t even slow down one bit as it turns onto the road, speeding up and drives away from my sight.

I collapse onto the road as of where I stopped and let the shock over whelm my body and soul. The tears and sobs are uncontrollable now and my body quakes.

“My baby boy… please not my baby… oh god please,” I say, sobbing, shaking my head. I hear him come up behind me, also getting down on his knees. I feel my husband’s strong arms pull me into an embrace and hush me, his mouth and breath in my hair.

“Don’t worry,” he soothes. “The police are on their way. I got the license plate. We will get him back, I promise you.”

{{{{{{{{

But, here I sit, alone, staring down at his picture: his smile wide, his eyes bright. I miss you so much. More than thirty years have gone by and still no sign of my baby boy. Oh my baby… Where could you be?

You are said to be dead. Your death was announced a long time ago, but I refuse to believe it. I love you so much, and this place in my heart that I held you… is still there. So you must be alive. You just have to be! I miss you so much… Jarod… I love you… my baby boy.

{{{{{{{{