Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Title: Parker's Love
Author: Jen Keen
Keywords: MPOR
Archive: Anywhere... just let me know... and to the Pretender Archive

*NOTE* This is my first Pretender story, and I'd like to thank my wonderful beta-reader, Schuyler, thanks so much!! This story is also a response to the Picture-Story-Challenge by Emily Siazon... that pic really got my muse going!! :)

DISCLAIMER: The Pretender and all characters don't belong to me... they belong to NBC and 20th Century Fox. No Copyright Infringement is intended. I just do this for fun... and the enjoyment of others.



St. Mary's Church
Dover, Delaware
2:00 pm


In the balcony overlooking the beautiful church brown eyes watched the proceedings going on below. He smiled to himself; so close, yet he'd stay hidden in the shadows. Jarod watched the bride walk down the aisle, her white dress flowing around her, hair done up in a bun with the veil in front of her face.

When Jarod heard the couple below speak their vows and say "I Do" to each other he slipped out of the church unnoticed by the newlyweds and family.

--00--00--00--00--

Carrie's Bar and Dance Hall
Blue Cove, Delaware
3 hours later


Jarod watched the party with a happy grin and twinkle in his eyes. He couldn't help smiling at her... she looked so happy. 'She deserves to be happy.' Jarod thought as he settled deeper into the booth hiding in the shadows, content on watching for a bit more.

--00--00--00--00--

Miss Parker laughed as she was twirled around on the dance floor. She was finally happy... come two weeks from now she'd be back at her job, running around trying to outwit and catch Jarod in the bowels of the Centre, but she'd still be happy. She looked into the green eyes of the man she loved and kissed him passionately, smiling as she broke the kiss.

"I love you Steve." She sighed as her head leaned on his shoulder.

"I love you too... it's too bad your father couldn't make the wedding." He said as he kissed her hair.

"Yeah, he's too busy... I don't mind though... you two would get into a fight and I don't want that. Not today..."

"I know... but he says how much he loves you... and..."

"Steve... lets not get into this... he's my dad..."

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean it... look, let's just dance and have some fun ok? Mrs. Steven Olman."

"Ok, but, at work I'm using my maiden name... everywhere else I'm all yours..."

"Really... all mine... that sounds like fun..." Steven said smiling as he leaned down and kissed her gently.

--00--00--00--00--

She smiled as she looked up at the blue sky above leaning against the white railing over looking the Blue Cove Bay.

"Congrats Miss Parker..." A deep voice said from beside her.

"Jarod, I was wondering when you would show up." She chuckled and looked over at him.

"I was here the whole time.... I wouldn't miss your wedding day Miss Parker, or should I say Mrs. Olman."

"Miss Parker's fine Jarod... I won't be using my married name at the Centre."

"Why? Are you afraid of losing power and seeing what daddy's name does to people?"

"No. I don't want the Centre to ruin my happiness..."

"Ah... as Mrs. Olman, you can put your family and your life first... and as Miss Parker... you put the Centre and your dear old Daddy first."

"You amaze me Jarod... just... how'd you know I was getting married?" She asked with a confused expression on her face.

"Miss Parker, I'm shocked! I know everything about what you do..."

"No Jarod, this was kept secret...nobody except the people I invited, Daddy, Broots and Sydney knew."

"Argh... Sydney told me about a week ago. Told me where it was and who the lucky man was."

"Why am I not surprised." She said with false loathing.

"Well... I have to run. See you on the chase side Miss P." Jarod said as he started to duck away.

"Jarod, wait!"

"What?"

"Can uh... we get a picture?"

"Uh... sure."

"Hey... Mark right?" Miss Parker asked as she stopped one of Steve's friends who she met once or twice.

"Yep?"

"Can you take a picture of us together?"

"Yep." He said as he grabbed a Kodak disposable camera off of a table and told them to pose.

Miss Parker and Jarod looked at each other and stood together. Miss Parker stood leisurely against the white railing smiling at Jarod. Jarod stood awkwardly with his hands playing with the cufflinks hoping that Mr. Parker or anyone else at the Centre won't see this cuz that would put Miss Parker in danger. He smiled wickedly as he saw Broots staring at him panicking. After the picture was taken Jarod hugged Miss Parker and disappeared into the crowd, leaving an envelop and box on the gift table as he left.

--00--00--00--00--

Mr. and Mrs. Steven Olman's House, Formally Miss Parkers House.
5 Months Later
Blue Cove, Delaware


"Hey Alexis?!" Steve yelled to his wife as he walked in the door.

"Yeah Steve?" Miss Parker asked as she walked into the kitchen kissing him passionately.

"Mmmm... I got some tickets to go see the ballet next week... wanna go?"

"Definitely... let's go upstairs macho man..."

"Dessert before dinner... I love it..." He said as he picked her up and carried her up the stairs.

Miss Parker laid on her side watching her husband and smiled to herself. She never thought she'd be married... especially to the man she loved.

"Love you Steven Olman" She whispered softly and kissed his temple as he slept. She got up and went into the bathroom to take a shower, then left to prepare dinner using last night's leftovers.

--00--00--00--00--

Jarod was running... his eyes panicked as he looked behind him... sweat coursing down his body... his pretend went horribly wrong and now there was a gang chasing him wanting revenge.

He heard a 'pop' in front of him and skidded to a stop as he saw cold dead eyes staring at him impassionately.

"Oh Shit." Jarod said as he saw the man smile coldly and pull the trigger. Jarod fell with a loud thump holding his stomach as he hit his head on the sidewalk.

The gang members stood around the fallen man and started hitting, kicking and beating the crap out of him. They all scattered and ran when they heard sirens in the distance.

Jarod groaned as he slowly got up and began making his way through the ally leaving a few specks of blood or a hand print in his wake.

--00--00--00--00--

Miss Parker ran her fingers over a pendant of the goddess Aphrodite, a wedding gift from Jarod, which was meant to watch over and protect her and her love from harm. She wanted out of the Centre, but knew her father wouldn't let her go until Jarod was found and back there. She picked up her empty glass of milk and walked over to the sink smiling to herself as she thought of the man upstairs. She froze as she heard a noise at the back door and pulled her gun from the drawer where she kept it.

Miss Parker pulled open the door and gasped as a man came tumbling in, blood all over.

"Oh God, Jarod..." She gasped as she saw his bloody face contorted in pain.

"Park--" Jarod tried to say as he looked at her with pain filled eyes.

"Shhh, it's ok Jarod... Steven!! Get down here!!" She yelled stroking Jarod's head.

"Wha-What? Oh my... uh... he needs a hospital!" He said as he stopped in the kitchen doorway.

"No hospitals Steve... you're the doctor, what do we need to do to get him patched up?" Miss Parker asked as she looked over to her husband.

"Umm... we need to get him somewhere other than the front door... how about the guestroom?" He asked as his brain started to kick in as he assessed his newest patient.

--00--00--00--00--

"Is he going to be ok Steve?" Miss Parker asked as she sat down wearily on a chair in the guest bedroom.

"He should be barring any complications. He was very very lucky... the bullet penetrated his abdomen and just nicked his spleen, which I still had to patch up because a small amount of bleeding. I still wish we could have gotten him to the ER though." Steve said as he looked at Jarod wiping his hands on a towel from the bathroom.

"I know your a good doctor, but if I had taken him to the hospital...the Centre would have been all over him and taken him back. I want him back in the Centre so I can get the hell away from there, but I'll be dammed if I hand over an injured Jarod so they can try to get him down when he's already down!" Miss Parker said exasperated.

"I know Alexis, I know... you look exhausted... why don't you go to bed." Steve said as he caressed her face gently.

"I will... oh shit!! I have to call Syd... he'd kill me if he found out that Jarod is here, hurt and all." Miss Parker said as she wiped her eyes.

"Ok... go call Syd. You were a great nurse by the way sweetie."

"Yeah... I just wish it will never happen again." Miss Parker said as she looked at Jarod and left the room.

--00--00--00--00--

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
Sydney's Office
10:00pm


{Sydney}

"Syd..."

{Parker... what's wrong? Marriage trouble?}

"Um...Uh... I need you to come over to my house."

{What's the matter?}

"I'll tell you when you get here Syd." *CLICK*

{Miss Parker...}

Sydney stared at his phone dumbfounded for an instant and left his office heading for Miss Parker's home.

--00--00--00--00--

The Olman Residence
Blue Cove, Delaware
10:30pm


*Knock* *Knock*

Miss Parker walked over to her door opening it for Syd as her husband walked wearily out of the guest bedroom.

"Syd... glad you came so quickly." She said as she shut the door behind him.

"Ah... threw your husband into the guest bedroom eh?" Syd said as he smiled at the disheveled man rubbing his forehead.

"No... Jarod is here Syd."

"What? Jarod? Where?" Syd said as he looked at Miss Parker sharply.

"Syd... he's hurt... he-he got shot and came here. He's still unconscious and he should be fine according to Steve... but... it was touch and go for awhile."

"He's in your guest room isn't he?"

"Yes... Syd... he's going to be fine." Miss Parker said as she followed Sydney into the room and saw him close his eyes faintly trying to gain his composure."

"I'll leave you two alone Syd..."

"Miss Parker... why wasn't he taken to a hospital?"

"I don't want the Centre to have him yet. That's all." She said with an icy tone as she turned around and left the room.

--00--00--00--00--

The Guest Bedroom, Olman House
Blue Cove, Delaware
10:35pm


Sydney stood and stared at the bed for awhile before he sat in a big comfy chair someone pushed near the bed. Sydney took Jarod's cold limp hand in his and stared at the pale face before him.

"Jarod... please get better soon... I-I'd miss you too much if you don't make it. Your like a son to me Jarod... please get through this." Sydney sobbed as he held Jarod's hand.

--00--00--00--00--

The Olman Household
Blue Cove, Delaware
The Next Day


Miss Parker cracked open the guest room door and peeked in. She smiled sadly as she saw Sydney sleeping uncomfterably in the chair still holding onto Jarod's hand. She slipped into the room and put a hand on Jarod's forehead lightly.

"Miss Parker..."

"Hey Syd... how's he doing?"

"He's doing fine Miss Parker... I'm going to call in sick at the Centre... tell them I have the flu so I can stay here with him."

"That's a good idea... I have to go in... never know who will show up wanting to bring me chicken soup." Miss Parker said as she remembered a time when she called in sick one day and her brother, Lyle, showed up, her father called, and Sydney came over bringing some chicken soup and stayed with her as she threw up.

"Yeah... we can't have the Centre finding Jarod... they'd use his injury as an advantage."

"Not to mention we'd be in deep shit with the Triumvirate." Miss Parker said as she looked down to Jarod's pale face.

--00--00--00--00--

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
8:00am


"Broots... got anything?" She asked as she slaunterd into the area they were assigned to catch Jarod.

"Umm... Sydney called in sick... he's got the flu or something. No leads on Jarod yet..."

"Ok Broots... keep looking, but not very hard ok?" Miss Parker said as she leaned in close to Broots and whispered to him.

"O-Huh? What's going on?"Broots whispered as he looked over at Miss Parker alarmed.

"Jarod is at my house... he's hurt... Syd is taking care of him..." She whispered silently into his ear looking for anybody listening in.

"Oh... oh wow!!" Broots said as he stared at Miss Parker.

"Just do as I ask Broots!" Miss Parker said icily.

"Yeah, yeah... no problem..." Broots said as he went back to typing at his computer watching Miss Parker leave, her black heels clicking as she left.

--00--00--00--00--

The Olman House, Guest Bedroom
Blue Cove, Delaware
4:00pm


Jarod heard a crisp clear voice from above talking to him; he struggled to open his eyes as the voice stopped and he heard a groan.

Sydney stopped talking - he had heard Jarod moan - and staring at him, wondered for a moment if it was his imagination as he saw his eyes fluttering and heard him moan again.

"Jarod? Jarod? Please open your eyes..." Sydney said as he stood over him holding his hand and stroking his face.

"Ohhh, Sydney? Ahhh!!" Jarod moaned painfully as he tried to sit up.

"Take it easy Jarod. You've been shot and beaten up pretty bad, just relax." Sydney said as he kept Jarod from sitting back up.

"Aw shit, that's why I feel like crap. Uh, where am I Syd?" Jarod said as he looked around.

"Your at Miss Parker's house, you showed up on her back doorstep hurt. Steve and Miss Parker patched you up and here you are."

"Oh yeah... I remember now..."

"Syd... oh!! Jarod, your awake!!" Miss Parker said as she walked into the room.

"Ah... yeah, thanks Miss Parker. I-I..."

"Don't mention it Jarod, you were hurt... and just this once I'll let you stay here and slip through my fingers again. After this, the chase is back on... GOT IT Jarod?" Miss Parker said menanicly... but her eyes showed a bit of compassion for the man lying in the bed in front of her.

"Got it Parker..."

--00--00--00--00--

The Olman House Hold
Blue Cove, Delaware
6:00pm


"Jarod... maybe you could tell us what happened?" Sydney asked as Steve was examining his 'patient'.

"Ugh... not much to tell. I was doing a pretend that went wrong... a 13 year old girl had been kidnapped by a gang so I infiltrated the group, I didn't count on her actually liking the group and wanting to stay with them. Long story short... they came after me after the girl told them I was trying to get her out and beat the shit out of me and shot me... leaving me for dead. I remember walking down an alleyway and then collapsing on a doorstep, then Miss Parker yelling." Jarod said as he watched Steve rebandage his wounds.

"Jarod..."

"I'm fine Syd... I'm not going back to The Centre... you'll have to kill me first... sorry." Jarod said as he gave Syd a sharp look.

"That's not what I was going to say..."

"Oh really?"

"I was going to say to be more careful and that I'm just glad your ok." Sydney said as he put his hand on Jarod's forehead.

"Oh. Thanks Syd..." Jarod said as he smiled a bit.

--00--00--00--00--

Outside The Olman Residency
Blue Cove, Delaware
2 Weeks Later


"Well... it's been fun! Thanks a lot." Jarod said as he stood looking at Sydney, Miss Parker and Steve.

"Just be careful Jarod." Sydney said as his arms enveloped Jarod in a huge hug.

"I will Syd..."

"Jarod... it's good to finally meet the man who my wife has been chasing all over the world. Hopefully next time we meet I won't have to patch up your insides." Steve laughed as he shook Jarod's hand.

"Thanks for doing the patch work... it's really appreciated." Jarod said smiling. He looked over at Miss Parker and smiled slightly.

"Well Jarod... I'll be seeing you..."

"Thanks for not turning me in Alexis Parker Olman... definitely your mother's daughter."

"Jarod, don't say that..."

"Why? You are you know. You may seem cold hearted and bitchy on the outside, but on the inside your nothing but a big ole' softy. I still remember that little girl who had so many hopes and dreams, you already have one... make the others come true Alexis. Don't let them slip through your fingers." Jarod said quietly as he looked at her.

"Jarod, I... thank you."

"Don't thank me... see you on the chase side Miss P..." Jarod smiled mischievously and left... his heart a little heavier as he walked away from people he considered friends, but knowing nothing could ever come of it because The Centre was always between them.

The End