Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Hi. This is a short one by me, Kari. The characters in it, Jarod, Miss Parker, Sydney… EVERY Pretender character is the property of NBC. As much as I want to take the credit, I can’t. I hope you enjoy this one.
Author’s note: This story is written in the view of Miss Parker. This story has no relations with my other stories, so don’t worry about feeling lost. And if you do… well, that’s more of a personal problem =) I really hope you enjoy this one.





Her Fate

by AngelWings







It’s been three days now since his return to the Centre. Sydney tells me that he will never be the same. He has tried his best to make Jarod complete a sim, but there is no use. He refuses to speak. Mr. Raines is growing tired of his ignorance already.
Sydney and I both worry of the consequences that Jarod and the Centre might suffer if Raines gets his claws on him. Daddy says it might be soon too, if Sydney can’t at least get a word out of him.

But my time is running short here as well. I finally received my end of the deal, for I to be free for Jarod’s recapture. I am happy to get away from this stone hell, but a heavy guilt still weighs at my shoulders. Not for all the answers I might get from this place… it is something deeper… much deeper. As if I am forgetting something. As if I am leaving something behind, someone.

I shake off that thought as I briskly walk down the corridor, on my way to Sydney’s office. The click of my heels is theonly
sound I hear. As I turn the corner and head for his office, I see Broots walk from the doorway.

“What is it Broots?” I ask the balding man. He looks up at me nervously and shakes his head sadly. With that, I quickly enter
Sydney’s office to find him looking out the office window in a daze. “Sydney?” I ask, worry flooded my voice and mind.

He slowly turns to me, sadness flooding his aged eyes. I cock my head to the side in confusion. I want to scream at him for an explanation, not having the desire to wait, but something inside me tells me this is not the time.

“Jarod,” he slowly begins.

“Jarod? Jarod what? What has happened?” I ask. The wait is killing me. I want to know now. I want to know all of it… now!

“Mr. Raines… Jarod is in Raines’ hands now,” Sydney said softly. The news shot through me like a bullet out of a riffle. I slowly lower myself to the overly stuffed leather chair in front of Sydney’s desk. My eyes slowly narrow as my jaw drops slightly.

“But… he will ruin him! He’ll turn him into another Kyle!” I shouted.

“Raines will beat him to death if Jarod doesn’t speak!”

Sydney nodded sadly. “Raines… has the orders to do whatever it takes to get Jarod to talk. If in a week, Jarod still refusesto speak… Raines has permission to…” he paused to lift his hand to his eyes and rub the tears that threatened to appear.

“To what?” I asked.

“To kill him.”

That was even more shocking then the first. I leaped to my feet in shock. “B-but, they can’t. Jarod is the… the most successful pretender in here! They can’t just kill him like that!”

“They can and they will,” Sydney replied. I shook my head in disbelief.

Why? There always has to be something! In no desire to show my real feelings to Sydney, I sprang form the room and jolted down the hall. I had no idea where I was going, but my heart did. I stopped in front of my destination and walked up to the steel door. I softly placed my hand on its coldness and closed my eyes. I then stepped back and ran a finger over the number by the door. Cell 15. His cell. With that thought, I pulled out the code for the lock out of my suit pocket. I had begged daddy to give it to me, but I ignored the warning he gave me not to go in there. I carefully tapped in the code, hoping not to make a mistake. If I do make a mistake, the alarm will go off. I then punched the enter key.

It hissed open. I let out a satisfied sigh and pushed on the hard door, until it was open enough for me to squeeze by. When I finally got inside, I spotted him on his bunk, reading a book quietly. He only flicked his eyes up at my entrance and quickly
returned back to his book. I quietly walked to the center of the room and stood there, waiting for his response, in which he gave me none.

“Jarod,” I said quietly. He didn’t even look at me. “Jarod please. You must talk sometime. Raines has the order to kill you if you don’t talk!”

No response. I wanted to strangle him right there and then, but kept my hands at my sides in a tight fist. “Jarod, if you don’t talk now, I’ll kill you with my own two hands!” I threatened.

Nothing. I let out a frustrated sigh. “Fine… die then!”

I spun around and took a few steps towards the door, but my name being muttered softly stopped me. I spun around to see
Jarod staring at me. I then walk to the center of the room. I’m surprised to see him close his book and slowly rise to his feet. I notice the small limp he has as he steps towards me, but chose to ignore it.

“Why are you here?” he whispers softly. His lips are only inches away from mine, and yet I barely hear the words he had just
spoken to me.

“Because,” I whisper back, enjoying the feeling of his closeness and for once, not thinking of the cameras.

“Because? Because why?” he whispers. Again I barely hear him.

“Because I… care,” I whispered into his lips. Just then, I captured his lips and drew him in for a passionate kiss. Never, never in my life have I ever been kissed like that: so gentle, so passionate… so pure. I wanted the moment to last forever and ever. I felt him start to pull away, put I didn’t allow it. I grabbed the back of his head and tangled my fingers in his short hair and kept his mouth close to mine.

As I continued to kiss him, I carefully slid another piece of paper with the code on it out of my pocket and pressed it into his hand. He opened his eyes in shock and tried to look down at it, but I kept his face leveled with mine and whispered into his lips, “Shh, not now. Wait until I leave then look at it.” He whispered back a reply that was too soft to understand, but it didn’t matter. I kissed him again, softly, pulling back way too quickly from where both of us were concerned and slowly headed for the door. I quickly punched in the code from the inside, not caring if the alarm went off if I made a mistake, and quickly exited the room.

Later that day, I was walking down the corridor, in search of Sydney. I couldn’t find him anywhere. As I turned the corner, I
saw Mr. Raines, his sweeper team and Jarod standing in the middle of the hall. I stop right in front of them and crossedmy arms.

“What is going on?” I asked. Mr. Raines shot me a wicked smile.

“We were going to ask you the same thing,” he hissed. I cocked my head to the side to show them my confusion.

“Tell me now,” I demand. I see Mr. Raines glance at Jarod, who also looked confused of what is going on, and then Mr. Raines
returned his attention back to me. He then hands me a piece of paper. As I glance at it, my eyes widen in shock. I quickly glance up at Jarod and gave him a wide-eyed look. He lowers his brow in confusion. I so much want to tell him what it was, but held myself from doing so. Because if I did, they surely would know I gave it to him.

“Why give me this? I already know the code,” I say as innocently as possible.

“Indeed you do,” Raines shot back. “You have given this to Jarod so he could be able to escape!”

“What?” I ask. I glance at Jarod again and I see his shock in his brown eyes.

“You have proven to us that we don’t have your complete and total loyalty. You are a trader of the Centre. Therefore, you shall share the fate of your mother!” Raines shouted at me angrily. Those words shot through me so painfully, I felt my knees begin to buckle. I wanted to scream, turn around and run for my life for all that it is worth. Now, Jarod is struggling against the hands that hold him back, as Raines pulls out a gun.

I feel the instinct to run, and I trust it, turning on my heel. But as I do, I see another group of sweepers blocking my way. Iturn towards Raines again, running past him. I hear the first gunshot come behind me, making my determination grow stronger. I run in an open elevator and push the button for a floor, any floor but this floor, and wait for the doors to close.

As they begin to close a hand reaches through the doors and stops them. I see a gun in this hand, pointed at me. I look up at the face of the man who holds this gun… to see the murder of my mother, Jarod’s father. I have never seen this man, but something, someone tells me who he is and what he intends to do. I hear Jarod screaming no and that he had stolen the code
from down the hall, and I want to yell back that I am going to be okay, but I know the words aren’t true, that the words are not
meant to be spoken. I watch in horror as he tightens his finger on the trigger. Just as the enough pressure on the trigger was about to be made, I see Jarod run behind him and push him out of the way. Sweepers follow Jarod and try to grab him, but aren’t able to keep a good grip.

“Shoot her! Shoot him!” I hear someone scream. Everything was a blur. I wanted to scream, scream for my life, for Jarod’s life. I wanted to scream for the mother. Out of the madness I see a sweeper take aim at me from a couple feet of the elevator. I inhale sharply for what is about to happen. I want to scream no, but I was too late. I here the bang of the gun, and close my eyes.

I feel someone in front of me, pushing against me, acting as my shield. I hear his gasp of pain, and I want to open my eyes to see you my savior is, but three more shots rang out, causing me tighten my eyes again. Four shots, I thought. Four shots that took my mother, four shots that were meant to take me.

I feel the person against me begin to fall. I open my eyes just in time to catch Jarod from falling and grab him by the waist. He
slumps against me weakly as the doors begin to close. This time closing all the way. I feel myself begin to shake as I lowered the
bloody body to the floor. Breathing was hard for me to do now that I watch him die before me.

“Jarod,” I whisper softly onto his lips. He opens his eyes as much as he could and I see the weak smile that forms on his lips.

“Why? Why did you take my fate?” I ask, tears running down my cheeks. The smile grows a little wider and a single tear runs
down his cheek.

“This is not your fate, Miss Parker,” he whispers back weakly. I brush his cheek gently with my hand and brush back his hair.
Never in my life has Jarod looked so beautiful.

“Don’t die. Please don’t die,” I whisper to him as his eyes begin to droop. “I need you. Please don’t die.” I can’t control my tears any longer and let them flow heavily down my face. I softly press my lips onto his and take his last breaths into my mouth. I feel him go limp and the life from his face disappear. Then I whisper, “I love you Jarod.”

As the doors open again, I quickly glance up at the clear hall. “I love you always Jarod,” I whisper again and leaped to my feet. As fast as my heart would allow, I ran down the corridor, from the Centre, and from my bad memories forever.

The End (sniff sniff)