Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Project: Pretender Two
By: G. Barton

Present Day

Jarod went to the door as the knocking became louder. His face showed great surprise.

"Parker, what are you doing here?" 'Run' his mind was working but his feet weren't.

"I need your help."

He stood there frozen not sure what to do.

"May I come in?"

Jarod looked over her shoulder and from side to side.

"I came alone. I promise. I made sure I wasn't followed."

He took her hand and pulled her inside, quickly closing the door behind her.

"What is it that you need?"

"I'm scared and I know you can help me." She took the seat closest to the door.

"Parker, you have to tell me what is going on."

"Maybe I should show you." She pulled off her jacket and revealed her stomach that poked out in front.

"You're pregnant?" Jarod asked surprisingly.

She shook her head yes.

"What is it you need?" He paced.

"I want you to help find out who the father is."

"What?" He stopped and turned to face her. "I don't understand."

"Jarod, I think my father is doing it again."

He looked at her in confusion.

"Mirage." Their eyes met.

"How do you know?" His eyes locked onto hers as he sat down on the floor next to her.

"I found these." She held up a couple of DSA disc. "Where's your silver case?"

"Over here." He got up and pulled the case out of the closet. Parker followed him to the table where he opened the case and she handed him one disc. He looked up at her. "Sit here."

"I'm fine."

"Please." He could tell her looked tired.

She obeyed his order. She slipped the disc in as he stood over her shoulder and watched.

******

A year earlier

Mr. Parker and Cox stood in the chairman's office.

"I need her pregnant!" Mr. Parker yelled.

"Calm down. I have it all planned out." Cox paced in front of the older man.

"You don't understand. I need a child to make this work."

"Trust me. She will be pregnant very soon."

******

"How do you know? She wouldn't agree to the project and after that fight we had I know she won't stop taking those damn pills!" Cox watched as Mr. Parker's face turned red as he yelled louder.

Cox smiled. "It doesn't matter."

"What do you mean it doesn't matter? If she stays on the birth control then we won't have that child." This time the old man paced around the younger one.

"Because I switched them." He pulled out a round package. Mr. Parker stopped and stared at the package. "I took her real pills and switched them with sugar pills. She thinks she is taking the real thing." He grinned back.

"I like it. Now to her pregnancy."

"Don't worry. I have that under control too."

"How?"

"I see it we have two options. One, we have her knocked out long enough to artificially inseminate her."

"And two?"

"We take some eggs and unite them with the sperm. Then insert them into the uterus. I must admit that one might be a little tricky."

"Then it looks like we only have option one."

"Good. I have one more piece to that little puzzle."

"What?"

"Mr. Parker, I would for you to meet Tyler." A average size man with dark curly hair enter the room.

Mr. Parker looked him over. "I think this might work." He faced Mr. Cox. "Let's get started."

"Okay you heard the boss." Mr. Cox addressed the young man.

"Just one little rule."

"What's that?" Tyler asked.

"Don't touch her. Understand!"

"Yes sir."

Mr. Parker nodded his head for him to leave. Cox followed him out.

******

Jarod looked down at the pregnant woman in the chair. "What happen next?"

"Well, I met Tyler at bar. I was feeling upset one night. Nothing seemed to go my way. I had came close to finding you and you beat me again. The fight I had with daddy was all I could think about. I couldn't believe he wanted me to bear a child for his own experiment. Tyler seemed nice and we sat there and talked. I hadn't really talked to someone like that before."

"Did you talk to Sydney?"

"Not until I found out I was pregnant."

"We can guess Tyler's not the father." Jarod stood and placed his hand over his mouth.

"That's a safe bet."

He glanced down at his hunter. "What's on the other disc?"

"The conception." Parker slipped the disc in and they watched the screen again.

******

8 months earlier

Cox talked into the camera. "It worked this time. She's pregnant."

"Good." Mr. Parker's voice echoed. "Drop her off at her house before she wakes up."

Cox moved away from the camera to expose Miss Parker's unconsciousness body laying on the exam table.

The camera shut off.

******

"The way he talked this wasn't the first time they had done this."

"I know. I can't believe that man saw my bottom half." Parker was going to gag.

"Okay we know how they did it and why but..."

"Who's sperm?"

"Exactly." Jarod took a seat. His chin rested in his hand. He rubbed his tired eyes. "Parker."

"Mmm." She sat there staring at the black screen.

"Maybe you should get rest. We will work on this in the morning."

"Jarod..."

"I will come up with something." He leaned over toward her. "I won't let anything happen to you. I promise." He helped her up.

After he got her settled, he laid down on the couch. He needed get some rest too if he was going to be strong for her. He stared over at the room she was sleeping in before he drifted off to sleep.

******

The morning light peeked around the curtains. He stretched as he rolled over on his side. He saw her asleep in the chair next to him. She looked so peaceful. He got up and pulled the blanket up to her shoulders. Her eyes popped opened and she turned her head to see the pretender standing over her.

"I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's okay." She yawned.

"I didn't expect to see you in here. I hope you slept well."

"Better than I thought. I don't sleep very comfortable this days." She rubbed her stomach.

"Hungry?" He headed toward the kitchen.

"Bathroom first then food." She carefully got up and left him in the kitchen.

She returned and took a seat at the table. "What do you have?"

Jarod stared into the refrigerator. "Not much, but I do have milk."

"That's fine."

"We can get something." He poured her a glass and sat down next to her. He watched her as she took a drink. "Parker."

"Mmm." She sat the glass down.

"How did they get you unconsciousness?"

"I'm not sure."

"Do you think they put something in your drink ...food?"

"I can't remember. I have been going over this in my head and I can't seem to remember anything."

"Did you have Sydney help you?"

"No. I didn't even tell him I didn't know who the father was."

"I thought you told him about your father's plan."

"I did but I left out the part of Tyler being part of it. I didn't want him to think I was stupid to fall right into his hands."

"So he thinks Tyler is the father?"

"Yeah."

"What if your father tells him the truth?"

"I won't be there to see the look on his face."

"Does he or anybody else know you have left?"

"No and it is just a matter of minutes before they find me, us." Her hand touched Jarod's.

"Do you know what you are having?"

"No."

"Who's your doctor?"

"Daddy wanted me to keep it in the Centre but I threw such a fit that he agreed that I could see my own doctor."

"How did he react when you told him you were pregnant?"

"You sure are asking a lot of questions."

"I can't help it. I'm trying to find out what happen." Jarod squeezed her hand tight.

"He wasn't upset or excited."

"Come on, I have a plan."

"Where are we going?"

"To see a friend."

******

Jarod opened the door for Parker as they entered the clinic.

"Have a seat here. I will let him know we are here." Jarod went to the window.

"Can I help you?"

"We here to see Dr. Berryhill."

"Do you have an appointment?"

"No but he knows I'm coming."

"What's your name so I can inform him you are here?"

"Jarod."

"Thank you Jarod. Take a seat and he will be with you shortly."

"Thanks." He joined Parker, who was flipping through a magazine.

"How do you know him?"

"I helped him out once with a law suit."

"Oh."

"I told him you were my wife so, please pretend to care a little bit."

"Fear. Mmm. I like to see that in your eyes."

Jarod laughed. "What?"

"It's like you *don't* know what I'll do and you *can't* control it."

"That's right. So please..."

"Jarod." Dr. Berryhill came through the door. "Come on back."

Jarod helped Parker up from the chair. "Hey, Robert."

"Jarod, I wasn't expecting to hear from you again."

"I know. I have a little problem I was hoping you could help me out."

"Sure." They followed him down the hall and into a exam room. "What do you need?"

"My wife has joined me while I am working on a case and she has missed her doctor's appointment and I was.."

"Say no more. Have a seat on the table Mrs. Davis."

Jarod glanced over at her.

"Are you having any problems?"

"No. I just want to make sure I'm okay to travel back home if I need to before the baby is due."

"No problems during sex?"

Parker just glared at him.

"I mean no pain, discharge, or anything like that."

"No problems." Parker assure him.

"It's still safe for you to have sex right now just not two weeks before you are due."

She eyed Jarod, who was smiling from ear to ear. "I don't think that will be a problem." Parker replied with a smirk on her face.

"She won't let me touch her. I don't understand why. I just want her to know that I still find her sexy but..." He noticed her eyes began to narrow as she gave him the worst 'go to hell' looks he has ever seen.

"My wife was the same. She didn't think she was attractive anymore because she couldn't see her feet."

He turned back towards her. "When was your last exam?"

"A month ago."

"Okay, why don't I do a full exam to make sure you aren't losing any fluid? Do you know what you are having?"

"No."

"Would you like to know? I can do an ultrasound while we are at it."

She looked over at Jarod.

"Yes." Jarod answered.

The doctor pulled out a grown and sheet and handed it to her. "You can change in there. I will be back in a few minutes." He left.

"I'll leave too." Jarod told her.

"You can stay. I'm just going behind the curtain."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. My dear husband." She touched his chin as she smiled.

******

"You can sit up now." The doctor replied.

Jarod stood next to the table, holding her hand.

"Everything looks good. You have already dilated to two."

"Is that bad?" Jarod asked.

"No. Most women have started dilating by now."

"Good." He was relieved.

"I do want you to stay off your feet as much as possible though."

"But you said..."

"It is just a precaution. The baby starts gaining most of it's weight in the last few weeks."

"Is she safe to travel if we have too?"

"I don't see a problem with it. Just not a lot of it."

"Good." Jarod said under his breath.

"Are you ready for the ultrasound?"

She nodded her head.

He turned the lights off. Parker laid back down and they watched the screen.

"Look honey." Jarod took her hand again.

"The baby looks healthy. Let's see if we can see what you are having." The doctor moved around until he saw the feet.

"There's a foot!" Jarod was getting a little excited.

"Let's move this way." He moved up the leg. "There." He pointed at the screen. "See the three little lines."

"Yeah."

"It's a girl." Parker replied.

"I always wanted a girl." Jarod's eyes began to tear up.

Parker looked up at him. "Jarod."

"Mmm." His eyes met hers. He bent down to kiss her forehead.

She turned her head. "Honey look." She got him to turn the other way.

"Would you like a picture?"

"Yes!" Jarod got out before Parker had a chance to speak.

"Everything looks good. The baby is starting to get into position. I will let you go to the bathroom and get dressed."

"Thanks."

The doctor left and Jarod was on his way out when Parker stopped him.

"What were you doing?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You 'always wanted a daughter'. Jarod, what in the hell were you doing?"

"Playing the part of your husband."

"We don't even know who the father is."

"It doesn't matter. I leaving the country with you and that baby. Do you want that child to believe it doesn't have a father?"

"No."

When this child comes into this world it is going to see me as her father."

"I guess you are right."

"You know I'm right."

"I'm going to the bathroom." She stormed out.

******

Jarod and Parker got back to his condo.

"I want you to rest."

"Yes, father." She smirked.

"I'm sorry. It's just.."

"I know Jarod. I came to you for the help." She waddled off to the bedroom. She laid down on her side when Jarod entered. "Can I stay in here for a while?"

"Sure. Just keep your hands to yourself."

"I will." He watched her doze off. He kicked back and stared up at the ceiling. He started to picture himself playing with the baby. She sat up.

"What's wrong?"

"The baby is kicking."

"Can I feel?"

She took his hand and placed it on her stomach.

"Wow!" Jarod laughed. "She is going to be a fighter."

"Like her mom."

Jarod moved his hand from on side to the other trying to feel the baby move. "Where did she go?"

"She is probably resting now. Usually when I rub my stomach like you have been it settles her."

"Oh." Jarod took his hand back. "Parker?"

"Yeah."

"Can I hold you?"

"Jarod..."

"Please. I'll keep my hands to myself. I just want to hold you and the baby."

She grazed into his brown eyes. "Fine."

Parker laid down on the pillows and Jarod wrapped his arms around her. He laid his head on her shoulder. "Thank you." He whispered.

They both fell asleep.

******

When Jarod woke it was dark outside. He slipped his arms out and went to the kitchen. He grabbed a glass of milk and headed to the living room. He sat down on the couch and went for the remote. He flipped through several channels before deciding on one.

Parker heard the TV and got up. She enter the living room to see Jarod watching TV and typing on his lap top.

"I didn't mean to wake you." He saw her standing in the door way.

"I couldn't sleep."

"Did the TV wake you?"

"No. You left." She joined him on the sofa. "What are you typing?"

"A list."

"For what?"

"Things you and the baby will need. I'm sending it to a friend."

"Where are you going?"

"Nowhere. I'm sending it ahead for us."

"Oh."

"Can you think of anything else you might want?"

"Not right now." She leaned her head back into the couch, placed her hand on his. "Jarod."

"Mmm." He looked over at her.

"I don't know how I can ever thank you."

"Don't worry about it. What are friends for?!"

She leaned in and gave him a kiss on the lips.

"I thought you said..."

"Those rules are for you."

"Oh, I see how you are." He grinned.

She ran her fingers down his jaw line, before resting her head on his shoulder. His right hand ran through her dark hair as he kissed her forehead.

"Jarod, I'm scared something is going to happen before..."

"Don't worry. I have everything under control."

She wrapped her arms around his left one as they watched TV.

******

The phone woke them. Parker let go of him as he reached for it.

"Hello."

"Jarod."

"Robert."

Parker got up and headed for the bathroom. It wasn't long until Jarod came in.

"We have to move."

"What?" She came out.

"We have to move. Sweepers just left Robert's."

"What did he say?"

"He brought us a little time but we have to get going."

Jarod threw clothes in a bag. He gathered up the laptop and silver case.

"I'm ready." Parker stood in the next to the bed.

They got in the car and headed out of town.

******

Mr. Parker sat at his desk. The phone rang.

"Hello."

"You were right. She found Jarod."

"Are you with them now?"

"No. We have a little problem."

"What?"

"She was seeing a doctor down here."

"So!" He yelled. He knew they couldn't have found out who the father was.

"He said she died in child birth."

"The baby."

"Didn't make it."

"Do you have the bodies?"

"No sir. He said her husband claimed them."

"Find him."

"We have been searching and come up empty."

"Search harder. They're not dead. I want that baby!" Mr. Parker yelled some more.

"Sir..."

Mr. Parker hung up the phone. His face turned red.

"Watch your blood pressure." Cox entered the office.

"Now what? Willie said they were dead."

"No. They're out there some where. I can feel it."

******

Jarod stopped at a funeral home.

"What are you doing?"

"Making some arrangements."

"Why?"

"We don't have time."

"It won't take long." He ran in and it wasn't long until he was back in the car.

"Now what?"

"We leave for a new beginning."

"Where?"

"Mexico. Somewhere on the beach. What do you think?" He leaned over and gave her a kiss.

"Not bad."

******

After they crossed the border the plane landed. Jarod got a car and they drove some more.

"How much much further?"

"An hour. We are almost there."

"Good."

Jarod glanced over at her. She had her hand on her stomach and she didn't look very well.

"Are you okay?"

"No." She said as she gritted her teeth.

"Don't tell me."

"Okay, I won't."

"The baby. Now?"

"You told me not to tell you." By this time she had beads of sweat forming on her forehead.

"Give me 30 more minutes."

"I can't promise that. Besides, it not me you have to tell that to."

Jarod reached over and touched her stomach. He patted it. "Give me 30 more minutes." He said again like the baby understood him.

They reached the house that Jarod told her about. He helped her out of the car into the house.

"Can I sit here?" She asked.

"Can you make it to the bedroom?"

"I don't know." She was beginning to get irritated.

Jarod picked her up and carried her to the closest bedroom. He sat her down on the bed.

"It's just you and me."

"No! Get a doctor."

"There's not time."

"Jarod, I don't want you to see me..."

"You don't have a choice."

He got a cool cloth from the bathroom. He grabbed a sheet and other things he might need. He helped her out of her clothes and placed the sheet over her. He wiped her forehead with the cloth.

"Parker, I need you to focus on something."

"Jarod, you not looking..." The contraction got harder. "Get this baby out!" She yelled.

"I thought I couldn't look." He smirked.

"Quit being a smart ass and get this baby out."

"Okay."

"Wait."

"What?"

"Have you ever done this before?"

"I was a doctor once."

"But have you ever delivered a baby."

"No. This will be my first."

"Great." She grunted between contractions.

"Parker, push."

She pushed and pushed for what seem like a long time. Then she heard crying.

"You did it. She's beautiful." Jarod cleaned her up a little before wrapping her in a sheet. He handed her to her mother.

"You mean we did it."

Jarod tried to clean up part of the mess when Parker replied, "I don't think we need a DNA test."

"Uh." Jarod looked up.

"She looks like her father."

Jarod went over to the bed and sat down next to her. "She has your nose, your fingers." Parker ran her finger tip over her little hand.

"She favors you." Jarod kissed her tiny head.

"We make beautiful kids." Parker watched Jarod as he made cooing sounds at his daughter.

******

"Mr. Parker, you have a delivery down stairs." The voice rang out over the phone. When he got down the stairs he was acompanied by Mr. Cox and a couple of sweepers.

"What is it?"

"A coffin."

"Hers?" He asked.

"We haven't opened it."

"It's from Jarod." Mr. Cox replied as he handed the note to the chairman.

"Open it." He demanded.

Willie looked over at the other sweeper and nodded. He went to the coffin and slowly opened it. He wasn't sure what was going to be in there. As he lifted the lid his eyes opened wider and he turned pale white.

"Well?" Mr. Parker said as he walked over to the other side.

The sweeper opened the lid as far as it would go. Mr. Parker stared down at the coffin that held a wax figure of Miss Parker and a baby in her arms.

"There's a note." Mr. Cox reached for it. "Damn!" He threw it the older man next to him.

"I couldn't let you bury her after all she deserved better than what you could give her." Mr. Parker read the note. "I want to know where she is buried!" He screamed at Cox.

"We'll find her."

Mr. Parker walked off.

******

Jarod sat in the corner of the room holding his daughter. He couldn't help but kiss her. "You're perfect." He counted all her tiny toes and fingers again. She yawned. He held her tight as he rocked her. He glanced over at Parker who sound a sleep. The baby let at a cry. Parker sat up.

"She fine." Jarod answered. "She might be a little hungry though." He walked over to the bed and put her in Parker's arms. Jarod ran his fingers over the top of her head once more.

"Parker, I have been thinking."

"Oh no."

"I think we should get married. She deserves to have a family."

"She has a family."

"I know but make it legal." Jarod stared up into the blue eyes. "Besides, we might want to have more. The fun way." He whispered in her ear.

"I'm not sure about have more but I wouldn't mind getting my claws into you." Her lip was slightly raised in the corner of her mouth.

"Is that only your rules or can I touch now?"

"You can touch now."

He placed his lips on hers and she deepen the kiss. He broke loose and held them both into his arms. "I love you and this baby."

"I know you do." She whispered as they watch their baby girl sleep in her mother's arms.

The End!