Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Title: Bullet Proof
Author: Rising Sun

The FF is archived at: http://www.geocities.com/jagrslc
Disclaimer: Pretender characters portrayed belong to NBC and TNT. No copyright infringement intended. All other characters depicted are purely fictional and any similarities to actual people are purely coincidental.

Author’s Note: This is a reply to Kath’s Challenge
Feedback: Send it.
Permission to archive: Permission granted.
Story written – October 18, 2002

------------------------------------


Parker stormed into her office in a mood of pure disgust. Even Sydney had shown shock at the fact that at point blank range she had missed Jarod. What the hell was wrong with her? She knew she was a crack shot. The trophies and certifications not to mention the kills all attested to that. So what was it with Jarod!



Her office door swing open and her head snapped up in response. Who had the gall to walk in with out so much as a knock!



It was on of the Africans. “Parker.”



She growled.



“You’re presence is required.”



Still she just watched the man.



“Don’t make me make you.” He threatened.



She stood. “Where and why.” She deadpanned.



He gave her an evil grin. “Just a pleasant conversation with the Triumvirate.”



Parker’s hot blood ran cold. For a split second she froze her mask went up and all she said was “Lead the way.”



+ + +



Somewhere – Anywhere



Jarod watched on the Center’s classified Web site as Brootes, then Sydney and now Parker was escorted to the Triumvirate.



He leaned back and considered the implications and his options.



+ + +



The usually calm, cool and collected Sydney was on edge and the constant pacing by Brootes was NOT helping. “Brootes for God’s sake – SIT!” The man snapped.



Brootes landed on the cot abruptly. “What’s going to happen?” he was scared and didn’t care who knew it. Why oh why did he work in this place!



“It has already happened.” Sydney soothed the younger man. “It’s Parker they are after.”



“You really think that she is conspiring with Jarod?”



Sydney didn’t need to think “No I do not.” Was his instant answer.



“So how do you explain all these misses?” Brootes asked.



+ + +



“So how do you explain all these misses?” Mutumbo demanded.



Parker had walked into a Gestapo Agent’s wet dream. The place was stark, bathed in bright light with an area of shadow where the panel sat. All designed to have her at the disadvantage. “I don’t have to explain anything to you.” She was defiant.



That defiance had cost her before and it did again. The man’s aide lashed out. She tasted blood – hers. “Don’t make me hurt you.” Mutumbo exhibited false concern.



+ + +



Jarod had watched the interview of both Brootes and Sydney, but the session with Parker was in a league of its own. Where as the former sessions had been almost cordial though undoubtedly deadly the session with Parker was brutal and brutalizing.



Jarod hatched a plan.



+ + +



The door to the cell suddenly swung open causing Brootes to jump.



A man looked from one to the other said nothing and walked away.



Brootes looked at Sydney. “Syd?”



“I suppose this means we are free to go.” The physiologist surmised.



“I don’t like it.” Brootes announced.



+ + +



It took two men to carry Parker out. They entered the cell and dumped her unceremoniously onto the cot, turned and walked away.

The only part of her that functioned with no pain was her brain. It began to whirl, had her missed opportunities with Jarod been that glaring?



Some of the scenarios quoted she didn’t even remember. OK she remembered missing him when he had found his mother’s photo. In fact one would think that discovering a mole at the Center was more significant that a bad shot. But as Mutumbo put it she only missed when she aimed at Jarod – and he wanted to know why!



Then there was the fiasco in Scotland. She’d long ago admitted to herself that she could and should have kissed him. But that was then. How could a woman as sharp as Ocee not know that two scantily dressed healthy adults placed before a fire would find a way to further crank up the heat? She groaned at the memory of the missed kiss and the action caused her pain and that in turn caused her to groan more.



It was not over, however. The concern of the goons had been to get her into the cell and not necessarily on to the cot. That they left to her. Parker grit her teeth, adjusted her frame on the bed and promptly passed out.



+ + +



Brootes swept into Sydney’s office. He looked up and waited for the news that threatened to bust the tech. “Something’s happened.”



Sydney signed. There were times he empathized with Parker’s irritation with the man. He had spoken yet said nothing. He heaved himself out from behind his desk and instructed; “Show me.”



Sure enough something was up. There was a sense of frenzy about the people in the hall. As they stood fascinated Lyle slithered up to them. “All right where is she!” He demanded – no preamble was needed or given.



“I assume you mean Parker.” Sydney replied.



“You lost Miss Parker?” Brootes breathed.



Lyle glared at him then looked to Sydney. “Don’t play the innocent with me. You know something about this.” He turned on his heel and walked away.



“They lost Miss Parker?” Brootes repeated as he followed Sydney back to his office. The older man was pensive.



“No one escapes from the Cell Block. So what happened? She obviously had assistance. But who? How? Why?”



+ + +



Angelo looked out the window and grinned. He turned back into the cell and looked at the bed recently emptied by Parker. His grin deepened. “Never find Parker now.”



He chuckled then skipped out through the door. “Never find Jarod now.”

+ + +



Parker’s eyes opened and instead of the unrelenting light of the cell she was greeted with a soothing light. She didn’t even squint. She been cleaned up and the damage wasn’t as bad as she had first thought. She’d survive intact – as usual. Then she saw him, the reason for her latest round of trouble – Jarod.



At the same time he realized that she was awake. “Welcome to the land of the living.”



“Where am I?” She demanded.



“Not in the Cell Block.” He responded.



“What happened?”



“The interrogation got out of hand.” He replied then added “In my opinion.”



“Jarod…”



He cut across her. “Don’t start Parker. I did what I did and that’s all there is too it.”



“God what a mess.” She judged. “Now the Triumvirate will really think I’m in cahoots with you.”



“But you are… besides it’s the only way you caught me.”



“Say?”



“You really think that you were going to catch me by pointing a gun at me?” He challenged. “We are so entangled you and I. Remember Scotland?”



“What about it?”



“The offer still stands. Now is as good a time as any.” He said. “There is no reason for you to go back.”



“And all the reason to stay?” She purred. The soothing light was a little too soothing.



“You said it.” He joined her on the bed.



“Aren’t you afraid that I’ll hurt you?” She quizzed.



“You?” He chuckled “Never.” He sobered up. “Did you get what you went back in there for?”



She snuggled into him. “Yes.”



“And?”



“Of the many experiments conducted and plots hatched somehow you and I managed to remain separate entities.”



He slipped his arms around her and pulled her closer to him. “So having the Brother marry us before we left Scotland was not a sin against God and Man?”



“Apparently not.” She was almost asleep again.



“Oh good.” He kissed her and held her as she drifted off to sleep again.



+ + +



Angelo looked out the window of his room and grinned. “Never find now.”



As Sydney walked by he heard the empath. Could Angelo have helped Parker? He considered the thought for a moment, dismissed it and returned to his office. The disappearance of Angel Parker would join the folklore of the Center together with that of Catherine Parker.





The End.





~*~*~*~



THE CHALLENGE - [PretenderChallenges] Kath's challenge
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:23:22 -0700 (PDT)



Hi, I'm new here and thought I'd just jump in a post my first challenge.

Now something crossed my mind last night... How many times has it been that Parker's had Jarod at the point
of her gun, yet she neither shoots, or if she does, she always misses my a few inches? Okay I don't expect
you to actually know that, but it's been many times, right?

Now all these times...

I guess the challenge here is to describe what goes on in Miss Parker's head during one of these moments. You can pick up any time she's faced Jarod like this, but just tell me what's she thinking? What makes her not
shoot, or if she does, does she miss on purpose and if so for whatever reason....

Kath