Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Title: It’s all in the timing of it.

Author: Rising Sun

Summary: Jarod and Parker plan to meet and of course it’s all in the timing.

Classification: Pretender Story/Romance: J/MP

Disclaimer: Pretender characters portrayed belong to NBC and TNT. No copyright infringement intended. All other characters depicted are purely fictional and any similarities to actual people are purely coincidental.

Feedback: Send it.

Permission to archive: Permission granted.

Story written – October 27, 2002





Grace came out for the kitchen with a smudge of flour on her right cheek and her hands deep in the kitchen towel she was using to dry them. “What you up to honey?” She asked.



Jarod took a deep breath as if to clear away the cobwebs. “Hey mom. Just writing a letter.”



She chuckled “A letter? What ever happened to Mr. Internet Man?”



“I’m composing it off line first.”



“Must be a real important letter.”



“It is.” He replied. “It is.”



An hour later he was ready. He read it one more time to be sure he had it just the way he wanted it…



Dear Mirandia,
I know I'm probably violating several rules of the whole “you run I chase” game by telling you what I'm about to tell you, but then again I have never been fond of the game anyway. The first thing I wanted to tell you that I found my Mom. I of course can't tell you anymore than that right now. Maybe sometime in the future.
The second thing I wanted to tell you is that I have feelings, very strong feelings for you. I want to be with you. I want to wipe away your tears, and help rid you of the pain you have long suffered. I need to know
if you feel the same way, and if I have any chance on any kind at all with you. If you love me, meet me at Remo's on Front Street West in New York as soon as you get this. If you're not there by seven Wednesday evening I'll know your answer is no.

Love Always,
Jarod






Satisfied he hit the send button and sent a prayer to heaven.



===================================



THE CENTER

BLUE COVE, DELAWARE



Parker was in her office. It had been a frustrating morning. She had been taken off the hunt for Jarod months ago but she still managed to follow the chase. This morning though she had been unable to get the latest update. Add to that Sydney’s hints that her interest was based on an emotional attachment were becoming more and more insistent. He even had her considering it.



Her thoughts were interrupted by the computer “You’ve got mail.” Without thinking she clicked and speed-read the missal.



She blinked.



On the third read the message finally seeped into her brain. She stood and began to pace.



+ + +



The door to Parker’s Office flung open “Par…” The words died on Lyle’s lips as the door completed its arc and began its reverse path. The office was empty. He swung on his heel and moved with purpose. Parker had the knack of being where he didn’t want her to be; or worse showing up when he least wanted her to. So why was it when he needed her is when she usually disappeared?



She was probably with the remainder of the unholy trinity. He was in search of Brootes or Sydney. Lyle didn’t have to go far he spotted his prey. “Sydney!” He oozed. “Where’s my sister?”



“I have no idea.” The older man answered and short of an emergency if he knew he wouldn’t tell.



“Mmmm. Would you say if you knew?”



“Is there something you need Lyle?”



“My sister.” He insisted.



“Did you check her office?”



Lyle snorted. “We are going in circles here.”



“Are we?”



“You are supposed to be out catching Jarod no?” Lyle shifted gears.



Sydney had been at the Center long before Lyle was born and would not be caught so easily. “One of the many objectives of the Center is the capture of Jarod. As with all campaigns planning is key.”



“Is that what you are doing? Planning?” Lyle sneered. “You were his keeper and you lost him. You are given the opportunity to catch him and can’t. Now Parker is AWOL.”



“The Center is many things but of late a military camp is not one of them.” Sydney corrected “Now if you will excuse me.” On that note the doctor walked away.



Lyle’s phantom thumb began to itch him as he watched the man walk away. Absentmindedly he held up the gloved hand and for no reason he could fathom he was suspicious. Parker did not; just not show up at the Center. He returned to his office and dialed her home. There was no reply. He then called her on the cell phone.



On the third ring he got her “What!” she said.



+ + +



She stood across the street from Remo’s the cell phone glued to her ear, staring at the waiting Jarod. She was torn. Should she return to the Center as Lyle was commanding? Should she capture Jarod and then return to the Center? Should she take up Jarod on his offer?



She groaned and bent her head in frustration.



“Parker? Parker! You have your orders!” Lyle was insistent. She snapped the cell shut and looked up.



He had gone.



“Damn!” She cursed so loud that some pedestrians gave her a second look. Her watch said 7:05. The decision had been taken from her. What would it have been?



She stormed off.



===================================



REMO'S ON FRONT STREET WEST

NEW YORK



Jarod had arrived at 6:55 with all the expectation of a child about to meet Santa. He ordered this latest fascination – Ovaltine. Having got a funny look from the waiter he was now happily sipping the chocolate drink.



His watch beeped it was 7:01 and there was no sign of Parker.



He felt the overwhelming urge to cry. Instead he tossed a couple of notes on the table, stood and left.



===================================



HOME



Grace heard her son enter. “We’re in here Jaord.” She called.



He joined her in the TV room. “How’d the date go?” Emily asked.



“How’d you know was a date?” He asked.



She took on a smug look. “Sister’s know these things.”



“She never showed.”



“Oh I’m so sorry.” His mother empathized.



“Yeah … well…” Was all he could manage. “I’ll go check my e-mail.”



“OK” Grace replied.



+ + +



The familiar sound of “You’ve got mail” came through.



There was only one message.



Jarod


Did your mother never teach you about women being fashionably late?

I have considered your offer and decided to take you up on it. But really you must allow a woman some time!



Love

Parker





“Yahoo!” Was all that he could manage.



~*~ THE END ~*~





Mickey's If You Love Me Letter Challenge

Dear Mirandia,
I know I'm probably violating several rules of the whole “you run I chase” game by telling you what I'm about to tell you, but then again I have never been fond of the game anyway. The first thing I wanted to tell you that I found my Mom. I of course can't tell you anymore than that right now. Maybe sometime in the future.
The second thing I wanted to tell you is that I have feelings, very strong feelings for you. I want to be with you. I want to wipe away your tears, and help rid you of the pain you have long suffered. I need to know
if you feel the same way, and if I have any chance on any kind at all with you. If you love me, meet me at Remo's on Front Street West in New York as soon as you get this. If you're not there by seven Wednesday evening I'll know your answer is no.

Love Always,
Jarod

TELL ME

~ Does Parker show up?
~ If yes does she show up alone? (no sweepers)
~ Does she get there on time?
~ What is Jarod's reaction when she does/doesn't show up
~Anything else you can think of to add

All ratings G - NC-17.

I honestly would love to read a fic where she DOESN'T show up and see what happens. I think it would certainly be interesting.