Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

He watched his secretary retreat from his office, noting the subtle swing of her hips, and the way her tight skirt accented the movement. He licked his lips, thinking about what a treat it might be to spend a little recreational time with the woman; but then, he knew the Centre was keeping a tight watch on his extracurricular activities. A slight smile curved his lips: there was always a way around a taut leash...

His thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of his phone.

“This is Lyle...”

“You put him up to it, didn’t you?”

He smiled even though she couldn’t see it. “What are you talking about?”

“The memo, Lyle. The ghoul may have sent it, but I recognize your handiwork when I see it.”

“Really sis, I’m hurt...how could you think me capable of something that underhanded?”

“Underhanded and low are your specialties, Lyle. I want to know what you and Dr. Death are up to...and where the hell is my father?”

“Our father is on his way to Zimbabwe to meet with the powers that be. It seems that a face-to-face explanation of your failure to retrieve Jarod is required.”

“You’d better hope nothing goes awry, Bobby, or I might have to send a memo of my own to the Triumvirate. I really doubt they’d appreciate your type of table manners...”

The sound of the phone slamming down into its cradle echoed in his ear, causing the predatory smile to disappear from his lips. “We’ll just see who comes up the winner, Miss Parker...we’ll just see.”


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He watched as the older man stiffly lifted himself out of his car, and slowly made his way into the house. He followed the man’s progress from room to room, as lights illuminated his path. When he knew the man was settled in his large chair by the garden window, he quietly let himself in through the back door, and walked softly up behind the man, whose attention was held by the book in his hands. He couldn’t help but notice how tired the man looked, slumped in the chair, nor did he miss how the caring hands gently turned the pages as the man tried to relax enough to allow sleep to come.

“Some habits don’t change.”

Startled, Sydney turned to look at the owner of the voice, and relief quickly filled his features. “Jarod...what are you doing here?”

“I was concerned after our conversation earlier.”

Sydney set the book down, and stood, the air of discomfort growing in the room. “I’m sorry if I alarmed you.”

Jarod frowned. “You don’t seem any less tense now... is Miss Parker all right?”

Shaking his head, Sydney slid his hands into the pockets of his pants, and turned to stare out the window into the black of night. “I honestly don’t know, Jarod. She went to see Raines, but I don’t know what was said; she was less than forthcoming, and basically told me to mind my own business.”

The pretender couldn’t keep the surprise from his tone, “And you didn’t push her for an answer? That hardly sounds like you, Sydney.”

The older man’s voice turned angry, “I’m tired, Jarod. Tired of the games and the lies. I’m sick of being spoken to as though I have no...”

Sydney’s voice trailed off, and Jarod finished the thought. “As though you have no feelings?”

The psychiatrist’s voice was soft. “Yes.”

Jarod felt a pang of sadness for Sydney, and moved over to stand closer to him. “She doesn’t mean it; you know that.”

Sydney looked down at his shoes. “Yes, I know she doesn’t. But sometimes-”

“-Sometimes you’d just like to be acknowledged for who you are in her life.”

Sydney looked into the dark eyes of his student, and swallowed down regret, for he knew that he had done the same to Jarod at times. He looked away, unable to answer, and a moment later, the hand on his shoulder put there to comfort, caused his eyes to sting with tears.

Jarod’s voice was tender, “You don’t know how to help her, do you?”

The older man shook his head. “She won’t accept my help. She never does.”

“She won’t accept anyone’s help...it’s not like you’ve never dealt with this before.” Sydney didn’t answer, so Jarod continued, “Why is this time so different?” The pretender gently turned his mentor around and looked deeply into the disturbed chestnut eyes. “Sydney?”

Sydney’s voice was a bare whisper, “I’m afraid for her, Jarod.” The older man couldn’t keep the tears from his eyes, nor the trepidation from his voice. “I don’t think she really understands how precarious a position she is truly in.”

Jarod softly stroked Sydney’s arm. “What can I do to help?”

The doctor surprised the younger man by gripping his shoulders in desperation. “You shouldn’t be here, Jarod. Put as much distance between yourself and Blue Cove as you can. Raines has declared war on the Parkers, and he’ll use every means at his disposal to find you as quickly as he can and bring you back to the Centre.”

Jarod frowned. “I thought that was your job.”

Guilt flooded Sydney’s eyes, but he kept his voice even. “I have never wanted that.”

And then the truth of the past few years hit Jarod, hard. “It was your way of keeping your promise to Catherine Parker, by staying close and protecting her daughter.”

“Raines has wanted to rid himself of the Parkers for years, he just couldn’t find a way to discredit them without implicating himself.”

“So why now?”

Sydney stepped away from Jarod, and took a deep breath. “Knowing how the power has always been balanced at the Centre, I think you know the answer to that question already.”

“But Sydney, I gave you back the files and DSA myself.” The pretender saw the look on his mentor’s face and his heart fell. “Oh my God Sydney, what have you done?”

“I destroyed them.”

Jarod grabbed Sydney hard by the arms. “Why would you do that?”

“I couldn’t take a chance that Miss Parker would see them, Jarod. The only thing I don’t understand is how Raines found out.”

“Oh Sydney...do you know what you’ve done?”

The doctor’s voice sounded hollow, even to himself. “Yes. I’ve signed her death warrant.”

Jarod stepped away, his voice filled with defeat. “And yours.”