Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own the quotes or the characters in the story. The first one is by Aerosmith and the rest posted next to the quote.


Open Your Heart
By SouthernBelle


Miss Parker had opened her front door to leave for work when a small package sitting at the door step caught her attention. She bent down to pick it up. Walking back into the house she opened it up to see what was inside and pulled out a note.

....how high can you fly with broken wings? Life's a journey not a destination.... Are you ready for your journey?

J

"What are you up to now, Jarod?" she asked herself as she stuffed the note in her pocket.

*****

Entering her office, she found another package waiting for her. "Now, what?"

She opened it up to find a book of love quotes. She flipped through the pages to find certain ones marked. The first one read: To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage. --lao Tzu

She was began to flip to the next one when she was interrupted by Lyle.

"What do you have there, Sis, another gift from Jarod?"

"That is done of your business." She quickly put the book in a drawer.

"Yes, it is when it comes to that little...."

Sydney and Broots walked in.

"Miss Parker? Oh, Mr. Lyle...I didn't know you were in here," Broots mumbled.

"I was just leaving." Lyle turned to the door and glanced back at Parker. "Remember what I said." He left.

"What was that about?" Sydney asked.

"You know, Lyle." Parker sat down at her desk. "Can I help you two?"

"Oh yeah, I have a location on Jarod."

"Where?"

"Here." Broots handed her a sheet of paper.

"Good. Get the jet ready."

"What about Lyle?"

"What about him?"

******

Parker sat staring out the window when she pulled out the book. She opened it to another page.

Love cures people, both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it.
--Dr. Karl Menninger

'What are telling me, Jarod?' She thought to herself.

"What do you have there?" Sydney asked as he looked over at Parker.

"This...nothing."

"Let me see."

"I said it was nothing," Parker hissed.

"Okay."

"Sydney, can you come here a minute?"

"Sure, Broots." He got up and walked over to the other side of the jet. "What is it?"

"Are you sure we won't get into any trouble doing this?"

"Broots, you have to live a little."

"I know but..."

"Broots."

"Okay." He settled back down into his seat.

It wasn't long until the jet landed. The trio exited the jet and got in the limo that was waiting for them.

"Where exactly are you supposed to start?" Parker asked as she looked over at Broots.

"I'm not sure. I think...."

"You are not sure. You dragged me all the way down here to tell me, 'you are not sure'." Parker was pissed.

"I think..."

"You think where, Broots!" she shouted.

"I don't know. We will know when we get there."

"Great! I'm stuck on the East coast with an idiot and a shrink." Parker stared out the car window.

The car stopped at a small hotel by the beach. The trio gathered their things and went inside. After getting settled in their rooms, they all agreed to meet in the lobby.

Broots stood beside Sydney, "What do you think got into Miss Parker?"

"I'm sure, Broots but I'm guessing it has to do with Jarod."

"I know but how are we going to...."

"Shh...she is coming."

"What are you two up to?" she snarled as she caught up with them.

"We where just deciding where to start."

"That's good. What did you come up with?"

"Why don't we start with Jarod's last lair?"

"Why....that is a wonderful idea? Do we know where it is?" Miss Parker asked sarcastically.

"Yeah, I talked to the lady behind the desk while we were waiting on you."

"Fine. Let's go!" Parker lead the two men out the door.

With her gun pulled, Parker kicked in the door. The three walked around the empty apartment.

"Nothing," she sighed.

"I wouldn't say that." Broots picked up a box of half eaten chocolate candy.

Parker rolled her eyes as she continued searching the room.

Ring. Ring. Sydney took his phone out of his pocket. "This is Sydney."

"Sydney, great."

The old fella turned his back on Parker and whispered, "Jarod...."

"Listen, it's all set."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, you know what to do."

"Okay."

"Thanks." Jarod hung up the phone and waited.

Sydney walked the apartment again, he pulled out a note from his pocket and quickly slipped it under some papers.

"Parker, over here. I found something."

"What is it?" She rushed over to his side.

"I'm not sure, just some sort of note."

"Let me see." She yanked it from his hand.

She opened it up to read,

The course of true love never did run smooth.
--William Shakespeare

"Jarod, I'm getting tired of these games."

"Look, Miss Parker, there's an address on the back." Broots pointed.

"Well, I not falling for this again. Let's go."

"But...."

"No, buts Broots."

"Parker, I think you should check it out. Broots and I will get searching here."

She looked over at Broots and back at Syd. "I don't know."

"Go. We will call you if we find something."

"Fine!" She stormed out.

Parker made it to the address on the note. She looked around the empty hallway before pulling her gun out from behind her back. She carefully opened the door. When entering, she saw one red rose laying on a table with another note.

"Not again," she said to herself.

Picking it up she read:

'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than to have loved at all.

"Now, why am I not surprised to hear that again?" She picked up the rose and smelled the sweet scent. "I'm tired of these games, Jarod!" she shouted.

"Me too." She heard as she jumped holding a tight squeeze on the gun.

Jarod stepped out from around the corner. Staring at how beautiful she was.

"It is about time you showed up. I was beginning to think you didn't get my message."

Parker carefully laid her gun down and walked over to him. "What is all this about?"

"I didn't want us to spend another Valentine apart."

She looked at him funny, "What?"

"I wanted us to be together this year."

"Oh...and...what did you have in mind....boy genius?"

"Oh, I don't know....maybe a little dinner...talk like we used to. I'll let you know." He moved in closer and brushed his lips with hers.

"Or maybe a little..." She started but stopped as Jarod harden the kiss.

"Yeah...maybe." He whispered between kisses.

Parker wrapped her arms around his neck as her lips moved down his cheek.

"Oh, I almost forgot." Jarod pulled away. "I got you something." He pulled out a small box and handed it to her. She opened the box to see a heart shaped locket inside. She took it out and opened it up. Inside was a small picture of them as kids with, "Open your heart" engraved on the other side.

"Jarod, this is the sweetest thing anybody has ever given me. Thank you." She hugged him tight as she gave him another kiss.

"You're welcome. Now what do you say we do whatever comes to our mind first?" He raised one eye brow.

"You mean like this." She kissed his lips and slid her tongue between his parted lips.

"It's a start."

The End!