Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimers:

“The Pretender” and its characters do not belong to me they belong to TNT and NBC and are being used without permission. Please don’t sue because I have no money.



“The Rundown” and its characters do not belong to me they belong to their creators and are being used without permission. Please don’t sue because I have no money.



Author’s Note: I watched The Rundown on T.V. recently and thought that this would be a good crossover except now Beck is his very own chef.





The Rundown

By: 24



Beck was now working in his dream job as a chef. He had always wanted to be a chef after he brought Travis home and got him away from his father and now his dream was his. He had remembered that he would never pick up a gun again and changed his mind when he heard Travis screaming.



“I don’t care who you are we want to see Beck.”



“Miss we don’t allow anyone to go back in the back.”



The woman who was talking burst in with her crew not caring that she pushed her way in.



“You Mr. Beck?”



“Who wants to know?”



“We know all about you Mr. Beck and we need to help.”



“Look I quit finding people after I brought someone home. I have my chef job now.”



“We will pay you very, very handsomely.”



“I don’t care.”



“I could even pay you so that you can have this place as your own for a very long time.”



Beck looked at Miss Parker and her crew for while.



“Who are you and who do you want me to find?”



“I am Miss Parker, this is Sydney, this Mr. Broots and the rest of my team.” She reached into Sydney’s pocket and grabbed the photo that they always had in Jarod’s pursuit.



“His name is Jarod. He is a very sick man. He was brought to our care when he was younger and escaped. We went him back. This is his file. Look at it and find him.”



******



Beck looked at the one story house and walked up to it. It had taken some time to finally track this man down and now here he was at his house. He knocked on the door waiting for Jarod to answer it. He had seen Jarod come home from his hiding place just a few minutes ago plus his car was here.



“Hello.” Jarod greeted him when he opened the door.



“Hi. My name is Beck and I need to talk to you.”



“Okay. Please come in.”



They were standing in the living room when Jarod started talking to him.



“What do you want Mr. Beck?”



“Well, we can pick option A, or option B.”



“What is option A and B.”



“Option A is that you can come quietly with me, or option B is the opposite of option A.”



“And why would I go with you?”



“Because I was sent to find you by Miss Parker.”



Jarod’s eyes widened at that name. No, he couldn’t go back there. He had to get away from this man and fast.



“I’ve got to go get something.”



Jarod tried to pass the big man, but Beck punched him and threw him down on the ground and then cuffed his hands in the back.



“Please you can’t do this. I can’t go back there.”



“I don’t remember an option C, so you are going back there.”



“Please don’t do this. You don’t understand.”



“Shut up Jarod.”



Beck grabbed Jarod and dragged him to the bedroom where his DSA case and his duffel bag was. Beck gathered his things and dragged him towards the car then threw him in.



“I wouldn’t try escaping Jarod.”



“Why not? You have no idea where you’re taking me.”



“Yes, I do. Now shut up Jarod. I don’t want to hear anything from you. I’ve been through this before and I know what I’m doing.”



“Where are you taking me then?”



“You are going back to the place where you escaped from, Jarod.”



Jarod looked at the man for a moment trying to figure him out. “You’re afraid to pick up guns because of the damage they can do to others. Your last job was to track down a mob boss’s son named Travis. When you brought him back his father was mean to him and you didn’t like it then you helped him runaway from his father. You are now a chef because you like to cook. You promised that you would never track down another person again, but you decided to do this one more time because you want your own establishment, so you took Miss Parker’s money.”



“How?”



“I was taken from my family when I was younger and brought to a place called the Centre. While I was there they trained me to become a pretender, a genius who can become anyone I want to be. They made me do simulations and they even did experiments on me. When I was older I found out that my simulations were used to hurt and kill people, so I escaped. I can’t go back there. When I was younger I saw another test subject like me. He was a pretender just like I was. The first year that I escaped I found out that, that little boy named Kyle was my brother. He’s dead now, but there’s not a day that goes by that I miss him. I almost found my mom and sister the first year I was out, but The Centre got in the way. I had to send them away. I found my father and that’s when I found out that they cloned me. I got the boy out and he’s with my dad. I found out that I share a brother with Miss Parker.”



“I don’t believe you.”



“You don’t. Watch the DSA’s.”



“The what?”



“The silver Halliburton case in the back. The DSA’s are my life story. I was recorded ever since they kidnapped me. They told me when to sleep, what to eat, what to wear and when to do my Sims.”



Beck pulled over to the side of the road and reached into the back of the car.



“If you’re lying then you’re going to be in big trouble.”



“I’m not lying.”



He opened it and turned it on then slipped a disk in. It said Jarod. For Centre Use Only. It was when he was first brought inside the Centre and made the Empire State Building.



He heard his young voice say. “I’m finished.”



Then he heard Sydney say “This one’s been with us for 36 hours”



He heard his young self say, “Hey, I’m finished.



Then he heard Sydney say. “I’m Sydney and I’ll be taking care of you.” “Why where are my mom and dad?” That’s when it ended.



Another disk was inserted. This was when he was in the bubble. Then another one where he was in the box saying I’m burning, I’m burning.” Then another one where he was hooked on drugs, then another where he was brought back from the dead again and then when Kenny was shot and killed.”



“Oh, my gosh. I’m sorry that I didn’t believe you and I’m sorry that you went through that. I hope that you finally find your family, Jarod.”



“Thank you.”



“I still have to take you back Jarod.”



“After everything that I told you?”



“I’m sorry Jarod. Remember things are not always what they seem.”



“What do you mean?”



“Nothing Jarod, nothing.”



Beck closed the case and put it back then put the car back into the road. He had to take Jarod back, but that didn’t mean that Jarod was going to stay there.



*****



Jarod was pacing in his cell when he heard a click. He turned to the noise and stared in surprise as Beck showed himself. Jarod looked up to find that the camera wasn’t working.



“What are you doing here? You’re going to get caught.”



“Remember when I said that thing aren’t always as they seem?”



“Yes.”



“This is what I meant?”



“Oh.” Jarod caught on as he smiled.



Beck unlocked Jarod’s cell and they got out of the Centre. When they were driving away from the Centre, Jarod finally spoke up.



“How did you find out where I was?”



“I checked my e-mail and there was a map of the Centre where you were at, where it was, where to go and many other things. It was signed from someone called CJ. Do you know who CJ is?”



Jarod smiled at the name. “Yes, he’s a good friend. He was a young boy named Timmy, but Raines turned him into Angelo. He likes Cracker Jacks and that’s why he calls himself CJ. He sent Kyle letters when he was in prison and he also helped me lots of times.”



They talked some more as Beck made his way to his job.



Beck pulled up in front of the restaurant and they both got out. Beck popped the trunk and handed Jarod his Halliburton back. He had given Miss Parker and her crew his duffle bag, but he didn’t return the DSA case. He knew that it held Jarod’s life and wanted to give it back to him.



“Thank you for not handing it over.”



“You’re Welcome Jarod. I hope that you find your family and I hope that someday that you are really free.”



“Thank you and Thank you for getting me out of the Centre.”



“You’re Welcome. Goodbye Jarod.”



“Goodbye Beck.”



Jarod walked away down the sidewalk with his silver case in his hand. He was happy to be out of the Centre. Beck had given him money and clothes and he would change in a gas station restroom.



The End