Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own The Pretender or anything related to it. It is owned by Steve and Craig and a few network studios. No profit is being made and no infringement is intended. Please don’t sue.

Spoilers:
"Red Rock Jarod"

Summary: Sometimes disappearing is the only option. Mr. Lyle has gotten very good at disappearing, and he exercises his talent once again after the debacle at Dry River, Arizona.

Disappearing Act
by: chopsticks
p g

-----


Lyle groaned as he fell against the gas tank. Jarod's little brother had just shot him in the chest, his second wound like that. Thank God he had decided to wear that bulletproof vest of his again. It had come in handy when Parker had shot him point-blank in the chest too. His chest hurt, but it was definitely bearable. There would be a bruise, undoubtedly, but that was it.

He stifled another groan and stood up, trying to keep out of someone's peripheral vision. No one could know that he was going to escape; they had to believe he crawled out to the desert to die. That was the only way. Though it was too bad that he wasn't able to get another body to fake his death. He pushed these thoughts out of his mind and slowly made his way away from the scene.

He listened with mild interest as Kyle died, uttering the words "I'm sorry." Lyle scoffed at that, not believing that this guy was actually supposed to be a sociopath. Any good sociopath would never apologize for anything. He might have to talk to Raines about that when he got back. If he got back, he corrected himself. If.

That was the biggest question. He didn't know if he'd be able to rejoin The Centre. After killing Kyle, they might decide that he was too much of liability. That would be a worse case scenario, and he was hoping that it wouldn't come to that. He'd have to hide out somewhere. Mexico was the first place that came to his mind.

He made his way over to his escape vehicle that was hidden behind a ridge, near the area where he had buried the woman. He hated how easily he had succumbed to Kyle's torture. He had always considered himself to be stronger than what he turned out to be. It took three cuts and he gave up all the information about the woman. That depressed him slightly, knowing that he was so weak.

He heartened at the thought that he had been able to trick everyone into believing he had faked his death twice. It was annoying that Parker and the others knew how he faked his death, and they knew how he killed his best friend in high school. Too bad they didn't know how he had killed the man that he had used in his latest attempt.

Lyle had just gotten in his escape vehicle when he saw a sweeper coming out to search for him. He grinned and started driving. He flicked on the headlights just as he hit the sweeper. The sweeper's eyes opened wide, then he hit the car with a sickening "thud." The sweeper's body rolled off the back of the car as Lyle sped away towards the highway. Eventually they would find the body. Maybe.

He drove for hours until he reached the border. He could wait until morning to cross the border. He had a friend at customs there who would let him through, no questions asked. He found a seedy motel and stopped there for the night. In the office, there was an Asian woman who was handling the entrances. He smiled sweetly as he entered, planning a midnight snack.

After flirting with the woman in the front for several minutes, he got a room and headed back to his car. From the light emanating from the streetlights, he could see the damage the sweeper had done to his car. He groaned at the thought of how much it would cost to repair that in Mexico. Mexicans always seemed to overcharge him for these kinds of things. He got back in the car and drove around to the back where his room was. He opened the trunk and grabbed the bag he had stashed there and headed toward his room.

He entered his room and threw his bag on the bed. He then headed to the bathroom, intent on taking a shower. He slowly climbed in, his thumb and chest causing him intense pain. He definitely needed to have that thumb taken care of.

He thought back to the events of the day, growing angry at the thought that Jarod and his little brother messed up his return to power. He would have to make sure that Jarod would pay for that, but he wasn't exactly sure how to go about it. He knew that eventually an idea would strike him as to how to give Jarod the payback he deserved, he just hoped it would be soon.

Lyle exited the shower and headed back into the bedroom after drying himself off. He sighed as he tried to pull the shirt over his head. Thankfully, he had decided that a polo shirt was the way to go until he could learn how to tie a tie with only one thumb. He grinned at his reflection in the mirror and headed back to the office, intent on seducing that woman.

When he got there, he noticed that she was gone and another person was in her place. He asked the man where the woman had gone and he found out that she only covered the night shift, and it was now morning. Lyle was slightly upset that a good opportunity had been lost, but he decided that he didn't have the time to wait around for her shift again.

He asked the man, whose name he found out was Duke, where there was a good place to eat. Duke told him there was only one. It was a local diner about a mile away from the motel. Lyle left without thanking the man and headed toward his car.

When he arrived at the diner, he took note that there were very few people there. He chose a booth in the back and looked at the menu. Everything on it was stuff meant to kill you in twenty years, but he was hungry and willing to try anything once.

When the waitress appeared, he gave her his order and asked for a newspaper. She smiled sweetly and went off to retrieve his order and the newspaper. As she handed him the newspaper, she tried to strike up a conversation with him, but failed as he was more engrossed in the story on the front page. She looked over his shoulder at the article he was reading and began to read as well.

"‘Man Shot to Death, Killer Disappears.’ That's just horrible! What kind of person would kill someone like that?" she exclaimed as she finished the article. Lyle just smiled slightly to himself as the waitress was called away to retrieve his food.

The article had stated that they were coming up with a composite sketch of the man who had shot the guy, and Lyle knew he had to leave soon. As soon as the sketch became public, people would instantly recognize him.

He quickly finished the breakfast that the waitress brought him, paid the bill and left, not bothering to tip the waitress. He had to plan how he was going to stay under the Centre's radar, along with the cops'. As he sped towards the border, a plan was forming in his mind. It was absolutely perfect and it would save his ass on several different accounts.

He would go underground in Mexico for a while, keeping a low profile. He would slowly begin to contact Mr. Parker and regain his trust. Then, he'd come back and rejoin the Centre, stunning such people as Miss Parker and Jarod. Oh, how he couldn't wait to put his plan into motion. So much to do and so little time to do it.

He'd have to make sure everything went according to plan if he wanted to be back in less than a year. He smiled at this as he stopped at the border, ready to begin the first phase of his plan.

-----

the end.

feedback welcomed at spacedoutwriter@hotmail.com