Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimers:

“The Pretender” and its characters do not belong to me they belong to TNT and NBC and are being used without permission. Please don’t sue because I have no money.

Author’s Note: Jarod meets Frank Abagnail Jr. the real pretender. Also, many of the DSA dialog may be wrong. Sorry about that.




Catch me if you can.
By: 24


Jarod walked into the apartment where he was staying in for the moment and put his jacket on one of the chairs that was shoved under the kitchen table. He didn’t know someone was following him. The man watched him open the door to room 8 in Motel 6 and then walked away. He would make contact later.

****

The man watched as the dark haired lean framed man gets into his car after locking the door behind him. As he watched as the car disappears he quickly went to the door and got out his lock pick kit. He looked around one more time and let himself in.

He looked around and saw a silver briefcase and a laptop on the table. He also saw a pez dispenser and some candy. He opened the silver briefcase and looked at all the tiny disks. He picked one up and flipped it over wondering what it was. He turned the machine on and slipped it in watching what was on it.

Jarod
For Centre Use Only.

“This one’s been with us for 38 hours and showed more potential than any of our others.” Said a man into the camera.

A little boy knocked on the door and covered his eyes trying to look out. “I’m finished” the young voice, said.

“Hi. I’m Sydney I’m going to be taking care of you.”

“Why where are my mom and dad?”

The disk ended there, so he slipped in another disk.

Jarod
For Centre Use Only

A young Jarod was strapped in a box and flames were around him.

“Sydney I’m burning, I’m burning.”

“Jarod, it’s okay.”

That disk also ended and another one was watched.

Jarod
For Centre Use Only.

A younger Jarod was at the helm in what looked like a mock up of a sailing vessel. There looked to be like electrodes stuck on his forehead. The young boy yanked them off and ran out of the room running down the hallway. Dark suited men tried to capture the young boy, but Sydney picked his young charge up.

“It’s okay Jarod. You know our safe word. If you get scared you say Refuge remember?”

The young boy nodded and was put down again.

Jarod
For Centre Use Only.

Two men were sitting at a table. Jarod was trying to show a man how to make an origami figure. Another man walked up to the table. Jarod looked up.

“What is this?”

Then they talked about a disk. One of the men shot the other man and he howled in pain. The man handed the disk over to them and the blonde haired man shot and killed the man who was already shot.

“The Centre owns you. Next time don’t make it so difficult.”

Jarod walked over to the fallen man, kneeled down and wept.

Jarod
For Centre Use Only

Two dark suited men dragged Jarod down the room. Jarod was saying “No, No” trying to get away. When they neared the cylinder he was let go and punched in the face. They strapped him down, but Jarod was still saying “No, No”.

A man with an oxygen tank came in, took out a needle and jabbed Jarod with it. Jarod was shoved into the cylinder and frozen as his heart stopped. When he flat lined for a while he was taken out and brought back to life again.

Jarod
For Centre Use Only.

Jarod couldn’t be much more than a teenager when the man who had put the needle in him once again put a needle in the teenagers arm. He could see that it was some kind of drug because of the way he was acting.

The door opened and the stranger at the table looked up. Jarod stood there not knowing if he should run or not. His eyes swept over to the Halliburton case and saw that it was playing.

“Don’t worry Jarod. I’m not going to hurt you and I’m not going to turn you into the Centre.”

Jarod shut the door and stood there. “Who are you?”

“My name is Frank Abagnail Jr. I stumbled across you actually and I was intrigued by you. You see I did the same thing when I was younger. I was a doctor and a pilot. Of course I didn’t have as many jobs as you did, but it was almost the same.”

“You were a pretender?”

“Yes, but the difference was I had family. It seems like you didn’t. I saw your disks. Tell me about it.”

Jarod sat down in the other chair.

“I was taken when I was a child. I don’t know how old I was when I was taken in the night from my family. I was locked up inside the Centre where I did simulations. They gave me hypothetical situations and I would solve them for them. I pretended to be many people for them. When I got older I found out that they were using my work to hurt and kill people, so I escaped. The first year I almost met my mother and the sister that I never knew I had. I met Kyle who I met in the Centre when we were younger. He was another test subject like I was. I found out that he was my brother. They sent my childhood friend Miss Parker, my mentor Sydney and a tech to track me. Miss Parker’s twin brother Lyle shot Kyle. I finally found my father and we rescued my young clone. I’ve been out here trying to make up for all the hurt that I did by doing all kinds of pretends. That’s about it.”

“I’m sorry that, that happened. It’s amazing that you are so compassionate.”

“It had to do with how Sydney raised me.”

“Thank you for telling me this Jarod. I hope that you stay free and don’t worry I won’t tell anyone. Right now I’ve got to go.”

“Thank you for listening to me.”

“Your Welcome Jarod.”

They shook hands and Frank left.