Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

TO LIVE IN INTERESTING TIMES
by Gregory M. Browne

"My you live in interesting times"
-ancient Chinese curse

November, 1962

Mr. Parker sat in his new office at the Centre with a copy of a ntract in front of him. It was the document by which he had sold to the Centre to a group of European businessmen known as "the Triumvirate". As he sat, he contemplated the step he had taken. By signing it, he had sold the ownership of the firm he had founded, the Centre for Advanced Psychological Research, henceforth to be called simply "The Centre", for a large sum of money, and fringe benefits. As a consequence, he now had increased financial security for his family--security not merely that they would never be poor, but that they would always be very well-to-do. Furthermore, he was to continue as President of the Centre, at a hefty salary, and with a hefty amount of severance benefits if the Triumvirate should ever dispense with his services--hefty enough to make the Triumvirs quite reluctant to do so, Parker thought. Still, there were real costs to be paid by signing the contract. He would no longer be his own boss. The idea of that was hard to swallow at first, but the money made it easier. There were other costs, though.

Parker was somewhat worried at first by the prospect of dealing with the Triumvirate: they had a reputation as a bunch of tough customers, as Parker put it. They were the sort of people one had to be "very careful of". After all, he thought, D'Albret was real cutthroat. But his mind had been eased by contemplating the other two Triumvirs. Halvorsen was an intellectual who had inherited his fortunate, and in Parker's eyes, intellectuals were weak and soft. Nothing to fear from him, except nausea and possibly business incompetence. And Kleiner was a businessman muc like himself. Sure, he was known for his shady deals, but Parker had cut a few corners in his time, too. So he felt that Kleiner and he were kindred spirits. And Kleiner was Chairman of the outfit. Further, Kleiner's position seemed impregnable. And that had made Parker feel comfortable, and allowed him to sign the contract.

The new era had already begun. Yesterday Parker had just finished giving a tour of the Center to Dr. Mtumbo, Halvorsen's research director. He was clearly very bright and very knowledgeable. But Parker couldn't make up his mind with he was a just another kindly, somewhat absent-minded, middle-aged scientist, or a very slick operator hiding behind a bland smile.

Dr. Mtumbo had brought along his boy. Only about 12or 13, he was very tall for his age. He could have passed for 18 with his height, and also his manner. He had quietly followed his father around and observed, but when they returned to the main office, he had spoken in a deep, booming voice. "A magnificent operation you have here, Mr. Parker. I believe that we stand on the threshold of new era. The past was secure--secure and stagnant--but we now have the opportunity to accomplish great deeds. We shall be dynamic and shall seize our opportunites with vigor."

Hmmph, Parker had thought The brat talks like he owns the place. And maybe he will. Rumor has it that Halvorsen, being childless, wants to adopt him. Maybe he will run it all right, Parker chuckled to himself--when I'm good and dead. In the meantime, hot air like that can hardly go on answered. Parker knew quite a bit about it himself, and had said "Yes, indeed, the future lies before us, and presents us with many great challenges...." and he carried on in that vein for a few minutes.

"Yes, indeed", chimed in the elder Mtumbo when the exchange was over, "it is truly the beginning of interesting times."

Before leaving, Dr. Mtumbo mentioned the Pretender project and roadblocks it was having in getting the parents of the children it had targeted to agree to going along fully with the program. "We shall have to help you with your--ah--difficulties so that you can get back on chedule." He smiled another of those bland, ambiguous smiles. What's he expect me to do, thought Parker, kidnap the children? Now, now, Parker, he said to himself, now that you're not the boss you've gotta keep flippant remarks like that to yourself.

Speaking of "help", the Triumvirate had already added a man to the Centre staff: Dr. William Raines. Parker mentally went over his assessment f this new employee. Billy Raines was a cocky young man with a big grin, a raucous laugh. His charming manner had even seemed to somewhat win over Catherine, who was skittish about him and the whole Triumvirate deal at the start. .

But, anyway, Raines seemed to know his stuff. And he worked very well with Sidney. And it was about time, thought Parker. Sidney needed someone to bring him out of himself, a research partner to stimulate that dormant intelligence of his, just as his brother Jacob worked so well with Fenigore. Not that Jacob needed anyone to bring him out of himself. No, sir. If they had not looked exactly alike, Parker could never have believed Sidney and Jacob with brothers. Sidney so introverted and so cautious, Jacob being so outgoing and bold, always thrusting forward into new ventures. Well, Raines seemed to supply what Sidney needed, with Raines's adventuroug and almost mischievous manner and charming ways. Yes, the kid'll be OK, once he gets a haircut.

"The kid". Parker smirked at himself. It wasn't long since he was called "the kid" himself--that, and "the boy wonder". He smiled. Less than a decade had passed since he had founded the Centre, and built it up to its present size. True, he thought, he had his inheritance from his father, who had struck oil in Texas and died young. But, as Parker saw it, it was not a large inheritance--just enough for him to start up his business, and the rest was his own doing.

Parker's reminiscences were interrupted by a message from his secretary. Raines had called, and said that he had just arrived back in town. That's odd, thought Parker. Raines had left four days ago for a meeting with the Triumvirate, and was not expected back for two more days.

"Put him on", he told his secretary. "Hello, Billy. You're back early. What's up?" Raines said that he had important news "Well, what is it?" Raines said that he had best deliver his message privately. He and Parker arranged to meet as soon as Raines got from the airport to the Centre.

When Raines arrived, Parker noticed he had his usual grin, although he seemed a little nervous. He began: "There has been a--" but he hesitated. "A reorganization at the Triumvirate." "Reorganization? What's that mean?" Kleiner has been voted out as Chairman and Halvorsen has been voted in as the new Chairman."

Parker's head spun. This could only mean one thing, he thought. Kleiner could only be voted out if D'Albret and Halvorsen had joined forces against him. The unthinkable had happened: Parker had been sure that D'Albret and Halvorsen were complete opposites, who had had to pick Kleiner as a compromise candidate. So Parker had felt quite confident that Kleiner's position was assured. Yet somehow they had joined together. What now?

As if to answer Parker's mental question, Raines said "The Triumvirate wants you to fly to Europe this weekend to discuss the future".

Outside the office, Jacob walked hurriedly up to Mr. Parker's secretary, with a newspaper under his arm. It had arrived late that morning, and he had begun reading it only a few minutes earlier. "Have you read this?", Jacob said, handing her the newspaper, folded so as to reveal the article he referrred to. The headline read "Industrialist Heinrich> Kleiner killed in explosion on his boat."

Part 2