Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

 [What is it with shrinks and the word control?]
 
‘The person behind the mask - the real Miss Parker - what is she like?’
‘By that you mean what are her insecurities? Her fears?’
‘It can mean whatever you interpret it to mean.’
‘The real Miss Parker is on very friendly terms with a Smith and Wesson nine millimetre. She also doesn’t like obnoxious strangers that think that a flash of a business card should be inclination enough for a woman to pour her heart out to him.’
‘Are you always this antisocial?’
‘You call this antisocial? Believe me, this is a warm reception by my own standards. You’re still in possession of all your body parts. I don’t know what kind of expectations you came in here with, but if you wanted someone to indulge you with a deep and meaningful, you’re looking at the wrong person.’
‘You have control issues.’
‘We all have issues. Every single person walking this earth has some kind of psychological problem. It doesn’t make us all nutcases.’
 
[It’s covered in Jarod’s muddy paw prints]
 
‘Dinner?’
‘Excuse me?’
‘You know, they warned me you were a hardcase. Rumour had it that most people turn to jelly in your presence and lose all capacity for speech.’
‘Unfortunately, I’ve yet to reduce you to a small, quivering mass.’
‘Not for lack of trying, I’m sure. You never answered my question.’
‘No.’
‘You won’t come to dinner with me?’
‘No.’
‘Why not?’
‘One, because I don’t go to dinner with anybody. Two, this has got Jarod written all over it.’
‘Actually, my name’s Peter.’
‘Charmed, I’m sure.’
‘Pleasure’s all mine. What does any of this have to do with Jarod?’
‘Story of my life. Everything has something to do with Jarod.’
 
[When it comes to keeping secrets, she was taught by the best]
 
‘You know, I told you my name. It’s only fair you tell me yours.’
‘I’m sorry, but Parker is as good as you’re going to get. I’ve kept that secret for more than thirty years. What makes you think I’m going to tell you now?’
‘Thirty years is a long time.’
‘It is.’
‘But I’m extremely good at getting people to open up to me. I am a shrink.’
‘You didn’t have much luck with me though, did you?’
‘True... but I’m not going to give up.’
‘There has only ever been three people on this earth, to my knowledge, that have known my name. I’m an expert on keeping secrets. Taught by the best.’
‘Who?’
‘Hmm?’
‘Who did you tell?’
‘Well, there was my mother, my father, and...’
‘And?’
‘And a... friend of mine, from my childhood. Like I said, that was over thirty years ago.’
 
[Jarod will still be around when she gets back]
 
‘Miss Parker, I need to talk to you. It’s about tonight. It’s just, uh, little Debbie, she has a recital on, and -’
‘Broots, just take the afternoon off. I’ve got plans of my own for this evening.’
‘Oh. Where are you going, Miss Parker?’
‘Out. For dinner. With Peter.’
‘Who’s -’
‘Dr Galleon, Broots.’
‘You mean... you mean the psychologist? The one you threw coffee at?’
‘I didn’t throw coffee at him, I accidentally spilt it and yes, Broots. The psychologist. Anything else you want to know? His middle name? Birthday? I’m sure I can find out for you.’
 
[She’ll never let things go that far]
 
‘It’s nothing serious, Sid. That’s one wound that still hasn’t properly healed, and I don’t think it will ever be able to for as long as I’m working at the Centre. I never make the same mistake twice.’
‘Don’t let what happened with Thomas dictate -’
‘This isn’t just about some deep psychological trauma still haunting me because he’s dead, Sydney. It’s about why he’s dead. The Centre is willing to do anything to make a point. I’m not having another innocent die because I was stupid enough to think I was entitled to a normal life. I’m not like everyone else. I can’t live the way they do. And there’s no way in hell I’m dragging anyone into this mess. Peter and I are just two people that enjoy each other’s company. Neither of us are looking for a long term commitment, only a good time.’
 
[He grew on her. Like slime on the bottom of a rock…]
 
‘I’m glad you came.’
‘Wouldn’t have missed it for the world.’
‘What made you change your mind?’
‘About what?’
‘About dinner. Here. Tonight.’
‘Well, I suppose it’s because... because you remind me of someone. And when I first met him, I pushed him away… but he never gave up. He kept coming back. And eventually, I gave in. Our... our time together was very short. So I guess the reason I stopped fighting you was because I’ve spent a lot of time wishing I gave in to him sooner. And I don’t ever want to have those kinds of regrets again.’
 
[She couldn’t stand to lay roses on yet another grave]
 
‘I can’t expect you to understand, because there is so much I haven’t been able to tell you. All I can say is that the Centre doesn’t take kindly to distractions. Which I suppose answers your question. I don’t have a social life because I can’t. My job takes up a lot of my time and my superiors go to great lengths to ensure that I keep focus.’
‘So leave.’
‘It’s not that easy! What do you want me to tell you, Peter? Do you want me to tell you that the last time someone asked me to leave that place, I woke up to find them dead on my porch? Do you want me to say that every person I’ve ever cared for, every person I’ve ever let close, starting with my mother, has ended up six feet under? Is that what you want to hear? Because there you go, Doc! You’ve finally cracked the case! That’s why I keep pushing people away!’
 
[She almost laughed. He knew her too well]
 
‘What?’
‘Am I interrupting something?’
‘No. Peter’s gone, Jarod. And I don’t think he’ll be coming back in a hurry.’
‘He asked you to leave, didn’t he?’
‘All I could see was Daddy, giving me his blessing, then Tommy... I spooked and I lost it. I told him everything. About Thomas. About my mother. The stupid thing is... I always thought this would actually work. He knew, to a degree, about the Centre. He was interested in a good time, nothing serious. I guess this is just final proof. Happiness isn’t on the agenda. The Centre’s made sure of that.’
 
[Because everything has something to do with Jarod]
 
‘You shouldn’t have come here, Jarod.’
‘Are you alright?’
‘Just peachy. Never been better.’
‘I was expecting you today.’
‘You’re not the centre of the universe. People have lives. People… try to have lives.’
‘Miss Parker…’
‘He wrote me a letter, you know.’
‘And?’
‘And I threw it in the fireplace.’
‘How much have you had to drink?’
‘Don’t start, Jarod, it’s bad enough having Sydney on my case. The guy left, okay? What’s the big deal? It’s not like he’s dead or anything. It’s probably better this way. It… it doesn’t matter.’
 
‘It matters to you. And that matters.’