[Reviews - 41] starstarstarstarhalf-starPrinterMicrosoft Word
Summary: Miss Parker finds answers, but not to the questions she thought she was asking. And Jarod? This time he's the one in the dark. - IN PROGRESS, on hiatus for a few short months (will be back in December).
Rated: PG
Categories: Post IOTH
Characters: Broots, Catherine Parker, Debbie, Ethan, Jarod, Jarod's Family, Miss Parker, Sydney, The Clone
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Romance, Suspence/Mystery
Warnings: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: No Word count: 63162 Read: 167467
Published: 21/05/05 Updated: 27/07/08

1. Prologue by ndv [Reviews - 10] starstarstarstarhalf-star (1671 words)

2. Section 1: One by ndv [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstarstar (1070 words)

3. Section 1: Two by ndv [Reviews - 8] starstarstarstarhalf-star (2466 words)

4. Section 1: Interludes by ndv [Reviews - 0] (1331 words)

Interludes

This could be construed as somewhat odd, so we're going to call it PG. It's a bit of a, well, something to hold you until I get the next part. It's been forever since I've updated, so I figure it might be worth the time to come upload this little piece.

Remember: with the Centre, nothing is as it seems.

Enjoy! Feedback is a happy thing.

5. Section 1: Three by ndv [Reviews - 0] (2096 words)

Hello all! No, I really have not abandoned ship on this story. It is one I have fully intended to continue but, due to time constraints, have been unable to update for some time. However, those time constraints have cleared themselves up and now I want to delve back into this.

As always, this is unbeta-ed (any volunteers?). This part, in particular, may be a little rough. I am once again trying to rewatch Pretender (in the second season, now) and get back into fic-writing. My absence this time has been for several years, so there is a bit of rust on the necessary parts of my brain.

Thanks for reading, reviews and comments are welcome. Also, if anyone wants to help beta or play sounding board for future ideas, feel free to e-mail me directly. Thanks and enjoy!

6. Section 1: Four by ndv [Reviews - 0] (1842 words)

As a show of good faith, I thought I’d go ahead and post the next part. This is essentially leading to the reunion of Parker, Sydney, Broots & company. Don’t worry, Jarod will be more important later… for right now, however, it is more important that the Centre gang be reunited. The next part or two (or three) will provide the background on how we got to where we were in the beginning of this tale.

Remember – to keep up with the Centre, one must be twisted enough to throw even them for a loop! ;-)

Enjoy, and please review!

7. Section 1: Interludes by ndv [Reviews - 0] (2846 words)

8. Section 1: Five by ndv [Reviews - 0] (2519 words)

To those who have reviewed or read thus far: Thanks for sticking it out with me! I know some of you are likely finding this story for the first time, while others are rejoining after my long absence. At any rate, I hope the coming chapters will offer you some answers… though definitely not all the answers. Wouldn’t be very apropos, now would it? If nothing else, my speed has definitely picked up. I’ve more than doubled the length of this story (four parts) in the last two days!

Enjoy and please review!

9. Section 1: Six by ndv [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstar (2251 words)

Hello again!

The answers are slowly being pieced together. I neither confirm nor deny the paternity of the child. Whether it is Jarod’s or the Major’s… oh, just keep reading! I dare say we likely aren’t even halfway there.

Besides, that’s not the only answer Parker & company need to find…

10. Section 1: Seven by ndv [Reviews - 0] (1660 words)

Hello again! I’m trying to slow down and pace the posting a bit so as not to overwhelm. Not to mention, there’s something about ruminating over the possibilities that makes a story even more intriguing! I hope everyone reading is enjoying this… please feel free to comment/review or message me directly with any feedback or queries.

Now, to address one quick thing before I leap into the matter at hand. Several people have asked me for a pairing or an “answer” to the who and what. At the beginning (or somewhere along the way), I noted that the story was Miss Parker-centric. This is still true and will continue to be so, though I hope that there is enough involvement with other characters to give you the necessary background as well as move the story forward. The potential ‘romantic’ pairing is unimportant right now and therefore, undisclosed. You don’t have to believe me, but I hope that you will enjoy the story and trust that I will address that portion of the story (should there be one, that is) at the most appropriate time. Cross my heart!

Without any more of my babbling… the matter at hand:

11. Section 1: Eight by ndv [Reviews - 1] (3289 words)

Hello everyone!

This part is a little longer than most, but this is for a reason. This part concludes the first section of this story, so it was necessary to add in a little more movement of the characters, and a little more involvement by most.

We will soon be heading into much deeper waters… I hope you enjoy the ride!

As always, thank you for reading. Reviews would be absolutely lovely!

Finally, I have taken some liberties with locations in this piece. I created this “house” of Major Charles just south of Raleigh, NC, and have now sent them on a journey to a small town in Georgia. The streets do exist, and the directions are accurate. However, as for the houses, airports, restaurants, et cetera that may be discussed – these are merely figments of my somewhat disturbed imagination (unless otherwise noted).

12. Section 2: One by ndv [Reviews - 0] (1671 words)

13. Section 2: Two by ndv [Reviews - 0] (2208 words)

Oops! Think I skipped a post!

Here you are... a few days late!

14. Section 2: Three by ndv [Reviews - 0] (1736 words)

15. Section 2: Four by ndv [Reviews - 3] starstarstarstarstar (3233 words)

In some ways, I am still very much setting up things to come. In others, we are finally moving toward the “plot” part of this! I hope everyone reading is enjoying the journey thus far. Thank you to those that have reviewed – please continue! I’d also love to hear from more of you, should you be so inclined!

Thanks again – and enjoy!

16. Section 2: Five by ndv [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstarstar (2919 words)

17. Section 2: Six by ndv [Reviews - 2] (2410 words)

18. Section 2: Seven by ndv [Reviews - 0] (1519 words)

This part was originally about three times this length. However, since the next portion is a little weirder… I decided to split it in half! The next portion should be up tomorrow.

Thank you again for all of your reviews and comments – I really appreciate it! Feedback also helps me steer the “minor movements” of the story, so never doubt that you have an impact on both the writer and the material! Enjoy!

19. Section 2: Eight by ndv [Reviews - 0] (1948 words)

20. Section 2: Nine by ndv [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstarhalf-star (3150 words)
 

Hello again!

This is the last part in Section II – the next will begin Section III. I think I’ll wait a few extra days before resuming my posts here – drum up a little interest, increase the suspense, perhaps? Oh, who am I kidding? Expect more in a few days!

This note is more personal and less related to the plotline, but is still relevant to the subject at hand: In many ways, this story has been an exorcism of sorts – an experimental look at the sometimes tragedy of birth families and the potential to build others over time and distance. When this is complete, I can move on to a series of books I’ve been outlining and re-outlining in my own mind. Yet, at the same time, I have put off completion of this story for several years now. Finishing this is closing a chapter of my own life, and there are moments when, as hard as I have fought to get to these last pages, writing the final few words seems more difficult than writing the first few.

So here is to us – the children of secrets and lies, betrayal and tragedy. May we – like the Parker and Jarod of Steven Long Mitchell and Craig W. Van Sickle’s imaginations – find our own missing pieces, our own inner peace, and a refuge to call our own – whatever, whoever, or wherever that may be. Know that no matter your origins, regardless of your bloodlines, you are who you want to be and family is what you make of it.

Without further adieu – and thanks for the indulgence – the story continues,

NDV

21. Section 3: One by ndv [Reviews - 2] starstarstarstarstar (4107 words)
Well, this is the sound of my caving and posting another part considerably earlier than was planned. Thank you for the great reviews - please feel free to keep them coming! I have to confess I've grown quite attached to my e-mail in the last few days as I've waited to see what you thought! This part is a little longer than usual... more to come over the weekend.

Thank you again for reading and reviewing - and enjoy!

22. Section 3: Two by ndv [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstarstar (2525 words)

Don’t worry, all… this will start to make more sense soon! Thanks for reading – and for the reviews/comments! I’d love to hear more from you…

23. Section 3: Three by ndv [Reviews - 0] (3208 words)
To show my appreciation for the rapid response of several reviewers, I thought I’d post another chapter over the weekend. It’ll probably be a few days before the next is sufficiently polished. Hope everyone has had a lovely (hopefully long) weekend! Thanks again for reading, and please enjoy!

24. Section 3: Four by ndv [Reviews - 2] starstarstarstarstar (2361 words)

Sorry for the delay in posting – I’ve been battling a migraine all week. Will try to get a little more posted over the weekend!

As always, thanks for the reviews and please continue letting me know what you think! Enjoy!

25. Section 3: Five by ndv [Reviews - 2] starstarstarstarstar (2464 words)
Hello! My apologies for the delay – I was sidetracked by events seemingly beyond my control. Apparently long-distance moves and career changes have a way of taking over your life! ;-) Thanks for the reviews – I’d love to hear from more of you! At any rate, enjoy this chapter and expect more surprises and a little chaos in the coming chapters.

26. Section 3: Six by ndv [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstarstar (1863 words)

Whew! I’m back from my mini-vacation – South Carolina is a lovely place this time of year… minus the extremely strict parking policies! Packing is still taking a considerable amount of my time. I’ve never lived in a cold-winter climate before, so the closets are giving me particular trouble. If anyone has any recommendations on places to go, things to do, things to make sure you have, etc, in Boston – please let me know. Like a nut, I’m moving sight-unseen to a completely different region of the United States…

This is a short part to bridge to the next one, which will likely be a longer-than-average piece. Enjoy! And please review!

27. Section 3: Seven by ndv [Reviews - 5] starstarstarstarhalf-star (2799 words)

Enjoy! Thanks again for the reviews – please continue letting me know what you think!