Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Pretender (except Rika and Lenna) don't belong to me, I borrowed them
Spoiler: not the films, Brigitte is dead, Raines is a "holy" man, Mr. Cox and Mr. Parker are working for the centre, Tommy is dead, Jarod is the prey, MP, Syd and Broots are the hunter.. normal life at the centre, isn't it???

Because you liked "Remains of life" and asked for a sequel I wrote it, so please enjoy it and I'd like getting feedback again.

THANKS TO MY BETAREADERS: Miss Bit and Dedra - you are the best!




Life remains

A sequel to This is a sequel to Remains of Lifevista product key keygen
Prologue

It was a busy day. The nurses ran across the white, clean floors in a rush. It was hot and lots of the patients started to cry, sweat or get sick, so there was a lot to do. A man in a white coat hurried around the corner, not noticing the wheelchair behind it. The nurse swore badly and moaned because of the pain of the crash. He angrily drew the chair out of the way to a window. The young man sitting in the chair didn't react at all. The nurse stopped and stared for a minute at this silent man. An old woman in a shabby bathrobe came out of the next room and walked beside him. She smiled sadly:

"He won't hear you. There's just a shell without a soul. It's is empty, so empty..!"

The nurse hesitated for another second, but then he went on, his mind back to work. The old woman touched the wheelchair slightly, but then she stopped too and walked back into her room.

The shell sat in the wheel chair and stared out of the window. It was a nice sunny day, just a few single clouds floated aimlessly in the bright, blue sky. But the man didn't recognize them. His eyes were empty and dark. Not a bit of information from outside seemed to reach him. When there was a noisy pandemonium on the white floor behind him he didn't move or blink at all. He just sat there with open eyes, looking off into space.

The doctors said he was a bad case of autism, they had tried different therapies without success. The organization paying the bills for his treatment and his care, did not seem to be interested in him very much; there had never been a visitor.

The body had an apparent age of 30 by now, and looked healthy in a strange way: because of daily training some muscles had been built and because the nurses often parked his wheelchair in the garden of the welfare centre, his skin was bronze.

A bird swept past the window. The man didn't see it. The shell was waiting patiently, waiting for his soul to come and the shell felt it come nearer day by day.

***

"Damn! For God's sake, Broots! Get us out of here, now! Or I will shoot you!" Miss Parker shouted angrily at the small, nervously shaking man ten meters away from her. Her high heels sunk into the sandy ground and she struggled. If her eyes could have killed, every life form within an area of hundred meters would have been destroyed by now.

"But there is no co.. co... connection, Miss Parker. I can't call anywhere!"

"Then go and find someone who can bring me back to civilisation! AND HURRY UP; I can't stand this any longer!" The woman stalked carefully to the car and opened a door. She got into the car and took off her shoes, muttering swear words while she examined her legs.

"Miss Parker, it isn't Broots' fault. The car is broken, that's the fact. Why are you that angry?" a calm and somehow amused voice said from the back seat.

"Because, Sydney, because your genius will be miles and miles away and we will come home empty handed again. I can imagine the stupid smirk on Lyle's face and I hate this smirk! In fact I hate the face and twice a day, I wish I could shoot at it. But especially that stupid, mad, oily smirk I can't stand anymore!" She collapsed wearily in her seat and closed her eyes.

The technician called Broots sighed aloud and started to walk away. He damned his job, Miss Parker, the car and everything guilty for his situation today. For now, he could have been home with Debbie, his daughter, playing or something else. But no, he was walking in a lonely, empty area and trying to find someone who could help them.

They had been on their way to the last known lair of Jarod. But on the way to it, the car had broken down. Broots couldn't think of something worse than a broken car in a deep forest with a bad tempered Miss Parker around. No way, nothing was worse than this.

Broots sighed again and looked around expecting to see nothing more than trees. But then he stopped and tried to focus. A cabin, not very big, but obviously someone was living there. Lights in two windows, the laundry in front of the cabin, an old car standing beside it. Broots grinned happily. Maybe this was his lucky day. He hurried to the cabin.

***

Rika saw the nearly bald man coming straight towards the cabin. She sighed aloud. She didn't like unwelcome visitors.

"Lenna, darling, go to the living room and play with the cat or something else."

"Don' wanna play cat, wanna read!"

Rika looked wearily at the two-year old girl on the kitchen table. A big book was open, with a few words in big letters and colourful pictures in it. Rika smiled and shrugged her shoulders.

"Sometimes you frighten me, honey. Two-year-olds are not supposed to read!"

"Daddy says Lenna learns fast!"

Rika hesitated only for a moment. Since Lenna could speak, Rika knew that the spirit of Kyle was still there, somewhere trapped between death and life. She wondered sometimes why she couldn't hear him, she should be able to do so, she had the gift, but it didn't work that way. Maybe it was better, but it was hard. Rika missed Kyle.

Rika took her girl off the table and brought her to the living room. She carefully closed the door behind her and straightened herself. When he knocked on the door she put a little smile on her face and opened.

"Uhm, I'm sorry, Ma'am. But our car is broken, could you help us, please?" Broots stumbled at the sight of the woman opening the door. The red curls and the smile on her face reminded him forcefully of Jarod's mother. She was beautiful and friendly.

"Of course, wait a minute. I'll get the car keys." Rika took some keys off the table and closed the door. She walked to the side of the cabin.

"I hope the car is still working, I haven't been using it for a year now! By the way, my name is Rika!" She smiled. "Get in, we'll drive to your friends!"

***

The noise of a car alarmed Miss Parker at first.

"Yes, yes. I can smell civilization Sydney, I can smell it. Maybe we're not too late!" She grinned broadly and got out of the car. Her smile faded a little bit, when she saw the vehicle coming nearer. Old, rusty, with lots of smoke coming from the exhaust. She sighed and rolled her eyes. "Well, at least better than nothing!" she murmured silently.

"Miss Parker! This is Rika Simon. She lives in a cabin about one mile and a half from here. She will tow our car."

"Did you call atow truck?"

"Uhm, no.. no, I didn't ask for a telephone." Broots felt foolish, why hadn't he thought of that?

"Well, Miss - Parker?! It's not necessary to be that" - Rika hesitated - "that bitchy. He walked over a mile to find help, if you could have done better, you should have gone, shouldn't you?" She grinned sarcastically. Before Miss Parker could answer Rika turned and got into the truck, "Well can we go or do you want to wait for someone else?"

Miss Parker opened her mouth to give a sharp answer, but she had no fitting reply, so she remained silent, gulping hard. She foamed with rage, but she didn't say anything. She went to the passenger seat and dropped herself in the seat. "I hate this day!" she moaned and closed her eyes.