Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about the delay, and as always, this is co-written. Hope you all enjoy!
When he was safely out of view of the camera, she stole a candy from the bag and popped it into her mouth. "I can get you out, tell you how to get out. But be warned, once outside, you will have to fend for yourself."

Jarod nodded, leaning in close to her. "Why are you doing this?” He asked, thinking it could easily be a trap, although not wanting to miss this opportunity either.

"I told you Jarod, back home. I would tell you how to get out and you should know from how I let Sydney out, I keep my promises. Despite my training, I have become attached to you, and I can feel you really believe you are not meant to be in here."

"And what about you?” He asked urgently.

"What about me?” She asked, watching him curiously. "You are not sure if you trust me are you Jarod?"

"I can’t just leave you here." He looked at her urgently, his need to leave warring with his responsibility that he felt towards her, and especially her little sister.

"Yes you can Jarod. And you will. Bailey just told me she likes it here, didn’t want to ever leave. And unless I am forced to do anything, I am going to keep her here if she wants it."

"There is so much out there, a real life for the two of you, how can you just expect me to abandon you?"

"Jarod, listen to me and listen well. I am giving you this one chance to get out of here. To go back to where you came from and live your life that you believe you have. We are safe here. Bailey likes it here. We are looked after and liked. I am not going anyway, nor is Bailey unless it is life threatening. But you are if you want to."

He closed his eyes and thought for a moment. If he got out, he could always come back for them, he reasoned. He could do nothing in here, and he wasn’t going to SIM for them, no matter what and the idea of being 'milked' so they could 'breed' him was intolerable. "Alright, I can respect that. How do I get out of here then? Out of the cell even? They have cameras everywhere.” He knew that given time he would figure something out, but it would take time.

"Before I even tell you anything, you must understand how hard it is to get away from here. Getting out is easy, but getting away is hard. And you will have no assistance once outside to help you." Grace warned him.

"How far are we from the nearest town?” He asked, guessing that they were pretty isolated.

"Far enough not to rouse any suspicion. It’s your choice Jarod."

He nodded, trying to think about anything he knew about the Australian outback and it was precious little. "Which direction, and what is the distance? Is there water between here and there?"

"All I can tell you Jarod, is how to get out. The rest is up to you to figure out." If she were found out, then it was a safety net for her. Saying she let Jarod out to prove a point to him. He can’t escape.

He was woefully unprepared for this, but he had to give it a shot. He knew how to survive in the desert, could go for days if he had to. "Alright then, I understand.” He nodded at her. "How do I get out of here? I assume we are deep underground?” He knew there was an airstrip about 10 minutes walk, and he wondered if there would be a chance to steal a jet, or perhaps a helicopter.

"You will need to make yourself throw up in about 2 hours. There will be a guard checking the area. Get his attention, he will take you to the showers. Mr Marcus nor his boss likes any of their projects dirty. There are no cameras in the showers, and there is a vent above the door. Use that, it will lead you to one of the very few ducts above ground."

Jarod nodded, still guessing this might be a trap, but at this point he had very little to lose and it was worth a try, no matter how long a shot it might be. "Any chance of getting something for my feet?” He winced, they were still tender from just 10 minutes out there.

"No. It will be too suspicious. I suggest either you let your feet fry, or your torso. There is nothing I can do to give you protection for your feet, other then tell you top take your shirt off and use that." Grace would rather give him some real shoes, but if anyone paid any attention and realised, everyone was in hell of a lot of trouble.

He nodded again, his mind running SIM's at a million miles an hour. It would be worth any suffering, which would heal soon enough if he could get out of here.

"I best be going. I need to be with one of the owners during the time you leave, that way no eyes fall on me for it." She would try all she could to make this look like Jarod’s idea not hers.

He held her eyes for a moment, pushing aside all the things she had done to him. "Thank you, I won’t forget this.” He said sincerely.

"I will hate you forever, that’s a promise, if I see you back here again Jarod.” She reached over and gave him a tight hug, pulling back to kiss his forehead. "Good luck.” She smiled at him before mumbling, "I ain’t ever going to get emotional with another project again.” She promised herself, it only led to trouble.

Jarod smiled sadly and looked at her, wishing he could bring her, but she was right. Neither of them were ready for it. She had been outside for years and in all that time, she had not apparently thought of leaving once. Whatever they were doing here, they were much better at it than the Centre ever was. "I will see you in the next life then.” He told her. It was another expression he had heard and rather liked it.

She smiled and stood up, moving back in front of the cameras. "Enjoy your sweets Jarod. I'll leave the ointment with you. Put it on every couple of hours.” She told him and moved out of the cell, locking the door.

Jarod stared at the door, wondering if this had even half of a chance of working. He knew far too little about everything, but the alternative was even less attractive. He took a look at the ointment and made his decision, scooping some of it out, and forcing himself to swallow it. He had no idea what it was, but he was pretty damned sure it was going to make him violently ill. It wasn’t long before Jarod did indeed start feeling very bad, and it took little effort to induce vomiting. He doubled over, clutching his stomach, throwing up the sweets and his lunch.

It had been a couple of weeks now since Sydney came rushing back in a frantic panic, rambling on about something to do with Jarod and a Gracie. It had taken Parker a while to get out of him, a girl who was calling herself Miss Gracie, and two of her men took Jarod, then Sydney to a warehouse. It took her a bit longer to get the details out of the old man, he was just going on about how worried and concerned he was for the lab rat’s safety. They had been searching non–stop for him, but so far nothing. Sydney had given them all the details possible, and still, they had no clue as to who these people were. What they wanted with Jarod was a given, but who they were...? They had no idea. Looking up as there was a knock, Parker barked a ‘what’ out, very tired from all the extra hours they were putting in. Seeing Sydney, Parker closed the file in front of her with an exasperated sigh. They were doing all they could to find the still missing monkey, Sydney demanding him be found every hour was not helping anything.

"Parker, anything?” Sydney asked for the thousandth time, getting more and more worried about Jarod. There had been no ransom demands, which he had fully been expecting once they figured the value of Jarod. There seemed to be nothing but dead ends and despite his descriptions, they couldn’t find anyone in the database to match the three people he had seen. The fact they had allowed him to see them, and let him go testified to either their stupidity, or their confidence. Sydney feared it was the latter.

"Nothing. You sure you told us everything? The rat boy has gotten himself into some deep shit." And now it was Parker who had to go save his sorry arse.

"We have been over this a hundred times Parker,” Sydney said tiredly. "I have told you everything I know. And it is hardly Jarod to blame here.” He said, reprimanding her gently.

"Jarod is always to blame, when will you realise that?” Parker snapped at him. Everything in her life since he escaped has been his fault. Jarod was always to blame for everything around here, always.

Sydney stopped himself from snapping back at her with a great amount of effort. "It is like he has dropped off the face of the planet." How could there be no trace of him, of them? It didn’t seem possible.

“There was nothing to indicate who these people were?" Parker asked, ready to kill the bastards for stealing her project away. How was it, years of hunting the monkey boy and they only managed to get to him a few times, and this… teenager managed to fully capture him. Parker hated that for the simple fact, it made her look really bad at her job.

"Nothing,” Sydney told her, slumping down. "I am very worried for his safety Parker."

“You just can't help yourself to play mummy can you?" Parker snapped, not caring much about his safety. She just wanted their property back.

"How can you not be worried about him Parker?” Sydney snapped back, tired of her attitude.

"I am worried about him Freud, just not in the same as you are.” She was worried about him as a Centre asset, she needed him back and working. Her father was gone, Raines was god only knows where, so that left her as acting chairperson while Lyle was off wherever the hell he was off at. Parker needed him back and working now.

“These people could kill him Parker, don't you understand anything I have told you?” His worry for Jarod was making him very short tempered with her.

“They have Jarod, they would damn well know what he is. From what you told me, they do know what he is. He will not be killed." Parker said with all certainty.

“You don't understand Parker, this girl, she is, out of control.” Sydney tried to explain yet again. "I don't think she cares."

"He is a pretender, they will not kill him. If anything, they will keep him alive to get him to work." Parker snapped. "Start thinking."

“You are not listening to me Parker,” Sydney said in exasperation, shaking his head.

"Maybe if you had more information to go on, I might listen to you."

Slumping down in the seat, Sydney sighed. "We have to find him Parker.” He whispered, worry weighing him down.

“Your precious little experiment will not be killed. I can't promise he won't be hurt, he is damn annoying and will piss someone off, but he will not be killed. He is too valuable to kill."

"He is not a piece of property Parker, he is a human being." Sydney said shortly.

"That is not how they see it or the Centre sees it. You know that. He’s a project, something WE own to use and generate money from. We will get him back Freud, to the safety of the Centre." Though no one in the right mind could call the Centre safe.

"Safety being a very relative term in this instance," Sydney scoffed, getting more and more angry with her and her attitude.

"Why don't you stop harassing me about it Syd, and go talk to someone who actually cares about the rat being a person." Parker snapped, too stressed for this.

Sydney got up, shaking his head in disgust and went to find more amenable company. "Perhaps Broots has something," He muttered on his way out.

"Perhaps." Parker agreed as he walked out and got back to work, going through the details of the search, trying to find a clue as to where Jarod was.

Max was doing his rounds and moved past the new project’s room and looked in, seeing him doubled over throwing up. Sighing in annoyance, he opened the door, "What do you think you are doing?" This just had to happen on his shift didn’t it?

Jarod didn’t even look at him, just continued to clutch at his stomach. It was pretty damned obvious what was happening after all.

Max moved closer to him and screwed his face up at the smell. "Look at this mess.” He growled, pissed off, but glad he wasn’t the one that would have to clean it. "On your feet."

Jarod obeyed quickly, still clutching at his stomach, pretending he was much sicker than he was, but the last thing he needed now was a beating for disobeying.

Max held his arm tightly and led him upstairs to the bathroom and pushed him in, following him. Shutting the door behind him, "Strip and wash that stuff from yourself." He ordered, looking at the disgustingly smelly vomit over his clothes.

Jarod did, jumping into the shower quickly and washing the vomit from his face. He groaned and made a big display of being weak and in pain. When the guard relaxed a little, he turned around and ran into him, tackling him to the ground and delivering a knock out blow to his head. He stood up, naked and wet and looked at the guard in satisfaction. He knew he would have little time and he saw the vent. He soaked his clothes and then dressed in them, taking a long drink before looking at the unconscious guard again. He leant down and took off his shoes and socks as well as his shirt.

The shoes were far too small for him, but if he cut the toes out, they would be better than nothing. He wrapped his small amount of supplies in the shirt and then got to work on the vent. He had no idea how long he would have before the alarm was raised, so he moved as quickly as he could, steadily through the system.

Gracie was alerted to the escape an hour later. The guard having woken up from being knocked out cold. She was in with Mr Hill and she swore loudly, ignoring the rules. She stormed out and went to the tech lab. "I want someone out there tracking him.” She ordered before storming into her boss' office, putting on somewhat of a show. She was worried that Jarod would be caught.

Marcus looked up at her. "Seems your bird has flown away,” He stated coolly, but with steel in his voice.

"Seems that way. He tricked one of the guards. Got out from the shower as he told me. I have the techs getting some of our guys out to track him.” She said, pacing angrily, putting on a believable show. But she didn’t apologise for her rudeness and tone of voice.

"I want him back, or I want his body. Heads are going to roll if he is not back here in my office in chains in 24 hours.” He struggled to maintain his calm. They had warned him that Jarod was a bit of a Houdini, but he had not expected something on his first day.

"No.” She said strongly. "I am not bringing him back in 24 hours. No one is. He is staying out there."

"What? Are you insane?” He asked her, standing up and staring her down.

Gracie simply folded her arms. She was used to being the boss, being in control and she fell back on it now. She glared at her owner defiantly. "He is staying out there. It will take at least a week for him to get to any town that will accept him. The closer towns know of this place and do not take kindly to strangers and will not offer him help in any form. I have people on it, they will find him and discreetly track him. A few days in this heat, regardless if he is a so called pretender, he will offer himself back. He will stay out there, no food, no water, no protection. When it is reported in he is on the brink of dying from dehydration and or heat stroke, we will offer him a choice, die or come back. If he choses to die, let him go and black out then bring him in."

He looked at her for a moment, considering it. The psychological ramifications if he offered himself back to them could save them months of retraining. He sat back down and drummed his fingers against the desk for a long moment as he considered. "And if he chooses death and we bring him back, you know we will never be able to break him. It is a big gamble."

"Does it really look like I care? You gave him to me. This is my decision not yours.” She growled angrily. She didn’t want to bring him back in, but Grace didn’t know if he would get away now, or even survive.

He looked at her dangerously. "You really think so do you?” He asked her, deceptively calm.

Gracie cocked her head. "Yes I do. You had faith in me when I brought him in, and you will damn well have faith in me now."

"One more word out of your mouth that doesn’t include the words sorry and disrespectful will earn you a permanent position on the lower levels."

Grace was pretending to be pissed off, but now she was. She had spent the last three years outside, the one in charge, ordering others around. She may know her place here, but it was big change from going from being fully in control to not having any control. Gracie glared at him angrily before backing down. "Sorry.” She mumbled resentfully.

"No you are not,” He said. He could feel the anger and frustration coming off of her in waves, but he simply would not tolerate that kind of level of gross insubordination from a project, not under any circumstances.

"No, I am not. But I do not want to be disrespectful.” She said, trying her hardest to stay calm and behaved. Getting herself locked up would do no one any good.

"Well that is an interesting admission. I suggest girl you get yourself under control this very instant and speak to me in a civilized manner, or you will regret it."

Grace's fists clenched tightly and she closed her eyes, steadying her breathing and turned herself off as Bailey called it, blocking out all the emotions. "Yes sir.” She said in an even voice.

"That is better,” He told her, sitting back watching her as she struggled with herself. He knew what pressure she was under, but that was no excuse. If she did not remember her place after so long away, she would be re-educated, it was simple.

Sighing heavily she looked at him, "I am sorry sir for my disrespect and lack of manners. I just got infuriated sir, just so angry and I am not used to feeling such strong emotions of those sorts." Gracie tried to apologise, knowing what was expected of her.

He looked at her and her half apology. He would have preferred it without the excuses, but for now, he thought that was enough. "Very well girl. But if you ever speak to me like that ever again, and I will punish Bailey instead. Do you understand?"

Gracie head snapped up and shook it wildly, "No sir, please don’t. I promise never again. I just lost control. And I know you don’t want to hear my excuses. I am sorry sir, please don’t hurt her because of me.” She begged him. She would do anything to keep Bailey safe.

"Hmmm.” He watched her. Her biggest weakness was the sister, always had been, but he could not remember a time when she had been so poorly behaved. Perhaps three years was too long a time to have his projects out there. He weighed up his needs with Jarod now and what she had said with his own desire to punish her for her unbelievable rudeness.

She looked at him with regret. "I am sorry sir again for my utter rudeness. I will not do it again. But I still believe it will work best with what I said to do with Jarod sir."

"You may be right girl, and that is the only thing that has saved you from months down on the bottom level in a cell next to your project, with all of your privileges removed, including access to your sister. We will give your idea a try with Jarod, but if he slips through, you will spend the rest of your life down there, never seeing her ever again. Have I made myself clear?” He watched her carefully, deliberately pushing her to see if she would lose control yet again.

Gracie looked down to the floor and nodded, "Yes sir, I understand. But my I have permission to ask a question?" She knew she was in deep trouble because of her mouth and she knew how the repercussions of it was her own fault.

"Ask your question girl."

"What is my punishment for such disrespect sir? And may I please receive it after Jarod is back home with us?"

"I will have to think about that,” He told her, not taking his eyes off of her. "You bring Jarod in, and you might mitigate your punishment but for the moment, you will not see Bailey until Jarod is back, and do not try to go behind my back on this, otherwise she will find herself in isolation, to serve as a... motivator to keep you focused on your goal."

"No sir, I deserve a harsh punishment regardless if Jarod is brought in sir. So I do not be so rude to you again. And I will not go near my sister until you are satisfied with me sir.” She said staring fiercely on the floor.

"Do not contradict me girl. I see your training has slipped dramatically. We will have to rectify that when this current mess blows over."

"Yes sir, of course sir.” She said slumping her shoulders. "I was just trying to please you sir by letting you know I realise I deserve a harsh punishment for what I have done.” She whispered. Nothing she did at the moment seemed to be right.

"I will be the one who decides what you do and do not deserve. I appreciate this may be a difficult adjustment, but do not forget your place, and do not presume."

"Yes sir.” She nodded before looking up at him with sad green eyes. "I just want to make you proud of me sir. When I told you I had Jarod you were so happy. And I am upset at myself I can’t keep you happy and pleased like that.” She said in a soft voice. She had been over the moon when he had said he was proud of her, now she only got reprimands from him.

"I don’t want to hear anything more out of that mouth until I see Jarod in here in chains. In fact, I don’t even want to see you again, not until you have him. Is that clear? Just nod."

Gracie dropped her head and nodded, but she transferred some of her feelings over to her boss. He didn’t seem to understand how much she lived to hear him saying he was proud of her. And how hurt she got when he was angry at her.

He was assaulted by her need and he looked at her for a long moment. She was trying to manipulate him now in her desperation. "Stop that this instant and get him back.” He picked up his report to indicate the meeting was over. She had better not be back in this office without dragging Jarod behind her.

She nodded and turned and left, she had to get Jarod back, no two ways about it now. She hoped Jarod could get away, but now she couldn’t afford not to bring him back. She had made a huge mess of things.

Jarod made his torturous way through the vent system, heading onwards blindly. His injured arm was throbbing before too long, but he was determined not to turn back. He dragged the shirt bundled up with the shoes and meagre supplies he had taken off the unconscious guard. He pushed his fear aside, along with all of his other emotions and moved forward. When he finally came to the end, he pushed against the vent, blinking up into the dusty light and for a long moment he didn’t think it would give. He pushed with all of his might and it finally gave way with a screech.

He pushed himself out into the sweltering heat and looked around. This was his first look at Australia and he was not very impressed. He had known it was hot from his trip in and he sat down, trying to fix the shoes, not wanting a repeat of the short journey from the plane to the entrance. He used the shirt to cover his head, like a makeshift turban as he surveyed the surrounding terrain. It was pretty barren, with barely even so much as a shrub or bush growing. It stretched on endlessly, the horizon shimmering in the distance. He stood up and shielded his eyes with his hand, trying to make an educated guess on which would be the best way to go.

If he actually was in the middle of the country, he guessed it didn’t really matter at all which direction he headed, he would hit something or somebody sooner or later. But that is what he was worried about, if it was too much later, he wasn’t sure if he would be able to survive out here for very long.

He picked a direction that he thought was probably north, guessing from his limited knowledge of Australian geography that it would be the most likely direction to head. He set out slowly, pacing himself, his eyes scanning the ground for any signs of tracks, human or animal, or any sign of an actual road. If he could find a road, then all he would have to do was follow it. But of course, that would also most likely be the first place they looked. He looked around again, and decided since there was no evidence of any kind of road whatsoever, he would worry about that if it became a problem. But he was so exposed out here, the only single living or moving thing, he didn’t really think they would have any trouble tracking him at all. But one thing was for sure, he wasn’t about to just lay down and wait for them to come and collect him.

Hours after starting, Jarod could not see any discernible change in the landscape at all, and if his feet weren’t protesting so much, he would have sworn he hadn’t made any distance at all. The sun was finally sinking and although it was a blessed relief, he guessed it was going to get pretty cold pretty quickly. At the moment his biggest fears were heatstroke complicated by hypothermia mixed with a good dose of dehydration thrown in just for fun. The smart move would be to keep walking during the night, if there was a moon, and then rest up during the worst of the heat. The problem was that he had not seen so much as a tree to use as shelter. He pushed on into the night, ignoring the pain in his body and the thirst. He was committed now and there was no turning back. All day he had run every survival technique through his mind, and he knew that stopping now would be a fatal mistake. The human body could withstand much and still survive, but he also knew that if he didn’t get some water soon, he wouldn’t last very much longer.

Finally, when his feet refused to take another step, he let himself sink down onto the baked surface. He was shivering, and he knew it was as much from the cold desert night as it was from the heat stroke he was suffering from. There was not even enough loose sand for him to dig a hole and bury himself, to offer some protection from the cold and the heat that he knew would be back again in probably less than an hour after sunrise. He would have killed for a drink right now, even a drop, but there was nothing usable, nothing to help him out here in this god-forsaken place. Finally, he let his dry eyes slip shut and his body pulled him down into the exhausted rest his mind had refused earlier.

Jarod awoke, screaming, feeling as if he had ripped his vocal chords right out of his throat. It was already hot and blindingly bright. The nightmare slipped away from him as the pounding of the headache forced its way in. Forcing himself, to his feet, Jarod knew that he had to go forward, if he was going to die out here, he would die trying, not just lay down and wait for the end like a miserable defeated coward. He had not let anything in his past beat him before, and he was not about to let this defeat him either. He pushed on all through the day, his eyes becoming swollen, making it hard for him to see, not that there was anything to see in this furnace blasted wasteland. He had not come across a single track of any description, and nothing more than a stunted bush here or there that was so dry and acrid, that he knew it would do more harm than good to try and eat it.

The day wore on interminably and Jarod moved forward, one miserable step at a time, telling himself that with each new step, he was one step closer to freedom. He was surprised that there had been no pursuit and he thought that if he survived, he might actually get away. He started muttering to himself sometime around midday, trying to convince himself that there was going to be shelter, or a track or somebody to help him. Failure was not an option, he simply could not accept it. He had survived trials as bad as this before, and he would survive this one too. He had to get back home, needed to set things right with Miss Parker, with Sydney. He still had to find his family.

By the time his feet refused to work any longer, he was too exhausted and dehydrated to care anymore. He had given up any hope of finding water or anything to eat hours ago, his eyes too dry and full of dust to work properly anymore. He sat himself down, with his back to the slowly sinking sun, telling himself he would just rest for a little while before going on again.

It had been two days since Jarod's escape and she knew he was pushing himself now. He had no water or food, not knowing how to find anything in this land. Grace had just got a report he had collapsed and in an instant she was in the helicopter that was called in going to his location. She hadn’t informed her boss she had known where Jarod was every single minute of his escape, she had been tracking him with her talents and feared for his life greatly. He wasn’t in good shape.

The helicopter touched ground and Gracie ordered them to stay where they were as she moved to Jarod laying on the ground. She knelt next to him and shook him awake, "Jarod."

Jarod opened his bleary eyes and knew he had gone insane. He looked up at her and tried to laugh, but there wasn’t enough moisture left in his mouth to make any sound.

"Do you want to come back home Jarod?” She asked, touching his blistered face. "Get some water." She didn’t worry about asking if he was alright, knowing he wasn’t. She wanted him back inside where it was cool and safe as soon as possible.

His eyes hurt, everything hurt. He closed them again and laid back down, too weak to do much of anything else. The word home ringing through his head like a siren song.

"Jarod. Come on, look at me.” She tapped his face until his eyes opened. "Come home with me?” She asked again. "Get some water. Have a nice cold shower?" She knew how tempting water and a cold shower would be to him right now.

"Water?” He rasped, his throat too dry and sore to make the sound properly. He had been dreaming about it. He had thought the desert was bad back home, but this place was brutal. And it was endless, without any means of relief.

"Only if we go back home now. If you say yes to wanting to come home.” She said softly.

That wasn’t his home, even in his delusion he knew that. But he knew he would die if they left him here. He was hopelessly lost and too weak to move. "Home?” He whispered, not opening his eyes.

"Yes home Jarod. I need an answer now. Do you want to come back home with me?” She asked again, trying to get through to him. She needed him to say yes, so her boss was happy.

Jarod didn’t think he could do it, but if he died out here, there would be no hope for rescue or escape. They had to be looking for him. Sydney, Miss Parker, Broots, somebody would find him and save him.

"Ok Jarod, I'll take that as a no.” She sighed heavily and stood up slowly, taking a few steps back and turning around, giving him a chance to answer her, hoping he did.

"No,” He croaked out. "Don't leave me here.” He let his head drop, and if he had had tears to cry, he would have cried them.

Gracie stopped and turned around to face him. "Then I need you to tell me you want to come back home, make it nice and clear." Either way he was going back with her, but it would please the owners so much more if he wanted to come back. She could already feel how this was affecting him.

He tried to work his dry mouth, nodding to himself as he admitted bitter defeat. "Please, take me."

She smiled and moved back to him. "Ok, that’s good Jarod, real good.” She waved over to the helicopter waiting for her, turned off so as not to make a sand storm. She brushed his sticky hair back and leant in. "I'm sorry you couldn’t get away.” She whispered her apology, letting him know how bad she felt over this, how truly sorry she was.

Jarod gave up the fight and let himself drift into the welcome blackness. He had held on for so long, longer than he had thought possible, and it had all been for nothing. He had never experienced failure like this before and he cursed himself.

Gracie stepped back and let the guys pick him up and chain him up. She didn’t see the need for them but her boss had made it plain as day he was to be chained up. Grace climbed into the helicopter next to the limp form of Jarod and made their way back home.

When they landed, she allowed the men to take Jarod back into the air-conditioned facility and she told them to take Jarod down to Marcus’s office and followed. She walked in, Jarod being held up by the two men. He was out cold. Grace didn’t know what to expect from her boss. Would he be angry Jarod was damaged, or happy that he wanted to come home?

Marcus looked up and put his pen down, observing Jarod's condition. He looked like he would probably die if not given the right medical treatment. "Did you get what you wanted from him?"

Gracie nodded, "He asked me to take him back, not to leave him. He wanted to come home."

"Mnnn, then you were right.” He smiled at her to let her know that she had done well.

Gracie's face lit up at the first smile she had seen in days from him. She knew he was happy with her, regardless of Jarod’s current state of health. "Thank you sir. May I please take him to the medical wing?"

"Do that Gracie,” He said, using her name again. She would still pay for her former disobedience, but he had to admit she had done well on this. If Jarod was manageable after this, he would see about lessening the punishment. “I want him on his feet as soon as possible, and maximum security. I don’t want him pulling this stunt again."

"Yes sir. Of course sir.” She grinned with pride at her name. He only used it on very rare occasions. Her face was glowing as she nodded. Gracie turned to the men holding Jarod and nodded, walking out and down to the medical wing where Jarod was put onto a bed, chains removed before being cuffed to the bed. She watched as nurse Jane put a saline drip in to help him.

"I knew he wouldn’t get very far," Jane muttered as she took in the shape he was in. She got the fluids going and then started tending the massive sunburn. "He is going to be off his feet for a few days, are the cuffs really necessary?"

"Mr Marcus wants maximum security. I know we don’t need them not with Jarod this weak, but it was an order. I need him on his feet tomorrow. Even if it is just to get him back in his cell." She knew it would never happen, but it was more for her sake if sir watched the footage. At least he would know she was trying to get him working again as soon as she could.

She sighed. "I will see what I can do, but I am betting the doctor will say a few days of care if you want him to recover quickly."

"Yes I know but I am not sure how sir will like it if he is in here for that long. I will go see what I can do about getting permission for him to stay in here as long as possible. I am sure he would agree if it meant Jarod will be able to work sooner.”

She nodded, "I will tend him as best I can, and when he wakes, the doctor will see him. I think about 7 hours or so."

"Can I give him a sponge bath in the mean time? To clean him up?” She asked, watching him carefully, feeling bad now she had offered him a chance out. He was filthy, and he just didn’t look right. He needed to be clean, just like his soul.

"I was going to do that, but if you want to do it...” She stepped back, not wanting to contradict her, at the moment she seemed to be the one in charge of Jarod.

"Please.” She nodded, "Can you go get me what is needed?” Grace asked as she stood up and grabbed a scalpel to cut Jarod's clothes away. She would rather touch him then let someone else do it. After Jarod explained how he felt about being touched like that without permission, she wasn’t about to let the nurse touch him.

Jane went to get everything she needed, telling herself that there would be other chances. "There you go, just be gentle with him. I have dissolved some burn gel and aloe in there to help with the healing.” She handed her the tray and stepped back again. She felt sorry for poor Jarod. He was a foreigner, and they should have told him that there was no way to escape on foot, it was impossible.

"Thank you.” She said, picking up the wet sponge and gently started to wipe his dirty and burnt face down. "He will be ok won’t he?” She asked in concern, taking extra care. He was badly burnt on his face, neck and hands and Grace didn’t want to hurt him anymore then she already had.

"If they let him get the care he needs. A few days to get his fluids back up and to get his strength back. His skin, that is another matter, maybe a few weeks before it is back to normal, but hopefully his lips and throat won’t take as long. I will also need to put drops in his eyes every few hours as well."

"Yes of course. Don’t let me get in the way of doing anything you need to make him better.” She said as she resoaked the sponge and slowly made her way down his throat.

"Just be gentle with him," Jane said, but already knowing she would be.

Gracie nodded and paused for a moment. "That will be all thank you nurse Jane. If you need to do anything else, let me know if I am here and I will move out of your way." She didn’t want to be a hindrance to them.

"I appreciate that, but now it is just waiting, giving his body a chance to heal, then we will see about his mind."

Gracie looked up at her with tears in her eyes. "I warned him before we got here, that he can’t escape from here. Not ever." And it was the truth. She had told him back in the US but also more recently how hard it as when she told him how to get out.

Gracie had dozed off, but woke as she heard a soft sound and thought it almost sounded like a moan. She looked at Jarod, watching his eyes flutter. "Jarod?" She asked in hope. It had been a long seven hours waiting.

"Where am I?” He asked in a dry whisper. He felt terrible, with a pounding headache and his body was too heavy to move.

"Back home. Medical wing.” She told him, wishing she could remove the cuffs. "Nurse Jane!” She called out, grabbing some water from the jug and offering him the straw to sip on, holding his head up.

Jarod took it gratefully, wincing as his sore lips cracked at the slight movement, but it was like heaven going down his throat. He drank slowly, barely able to get his throat to swallow.

Jane rushed in and smiled as she saw he was awake. "I see you decided to stay with us after all. We thought we might have lost you to the heat."

Grace pulled the water away and lowered his head back down. "He is a fighter.” She knew that personally, it was hard to get him to do anything he didn’t want to. Stubborn. But right now, she couldn’t be happier about that certain trait of his.

Jarod looked around and guessed where he was and tried to lift his hand, to get out of bed as the memory came crashing in on him. He became aware of the metal around both of his wrists and he sighed softly. He moved his legs gingerly to find that they were free and that came as a surprise, not that he would be going anywhere anytime soon, and even if he did, he had just had a very thorough demonstration in the futility of escape.

"Yes, I guess he is." Jane agreed.

Gracie pushed his body back the small distance to lay on the bed again. "Don’t try to get up. You won’t be able to. Just lay down and rest up.” She dug into her pockets and pulled out the lip balm she had retrieved from her room while he was sleeping. "This is called blistex. It will help your lips.” She opened the small container and dipped her finger in, smoothing the clear thick gel like balm over his lips generously. It would sting like a bitch with how cracked they were, but it would help heal them.

Jarod moaned softly as the greasy but heavenly cool balm went on. It seemed cold and to burn at the same time. He tried to bring his hands up again to rub at them, forgetting that he was restrained. He also finally realised he was completely naked.

"Nurse, can you get the doctor in please.” She asked, hinting to leave them alone for a while so she could talk to Jarod.

Jane nodded and went off to get the doctor to report he was conscious and seemed to be stable.

Gracie reached down and pulled the sheet up to his waist, covering him a little. "I am sorry it didn’t work out.” She said in a whisper, not sure if they were listening or not. Not wanting to let them know she let him out.

He forced himself to look at her, trying to judge her sincerity. "I think I learnt my lesson, if that is what you are worried about."

"Answer me this Jarod. Do you really believe I let you out for you to nearly die and be brought back in?” She asked in a soft voice, making a shooting at glancing to the camera before looking back at him.

"I don’t know, it doesn’t matter,” He said back, his voice still only a whisper. He closed his eyes for a moment, trying to come to terms with waking up here. Right now he didn’t care about her, or her feelings, he just wanted to be left alone.

"Yes it does Jarod. I want you to tell me if you think I did this on purpose or not. It matters a great deal to me." She didn’t want Jarod thinking this was a deliberate act to break him. She really did want to help.

Jarod wasn’t sure, but he knew what she wanted to hear. "No, not on purpose."

"No Jarod.” She said. "Honestly. I know you aren’t telling me the truth. Just tell me what you think, regardless of how it might affect me."

He forced his eyes open to look at her. "I don’t know,” He said brokenly. "I can’t SIM you.” He had never met anybody he couldn’t sim before.

"Is that good or bad?” She asked in confusion. Not sure at all if it was good or bad.

"I don’t know, never happened before."

Gracie's eyes opened a little wider. "Well, I know I am a first in many things, but to be a first for the great and all mighty pretender to not be able to SIM. Well I think that’s an honour.” She joked. It was quite fascinating being the first person Jarod couldn’t SIM.

He closed his eyes again and rested his head. "Water please?” He asked softly. He didn’t know if she was teasing him or not, and at the moment didn’t really care. He was too tired and in too much pain to try and figure her out at the moment. It no longer seemed relevant to him if he could or he couldn’t. He was here now and he didn’t think he would be getting out again any time soon. He had given up on trying to find a way to appeal to her, or manipulate her. If she let him go in the hope he might escape or just to show him how easily she could break him.

"Sure." Gracie nodded and grabbed the cup, refilling it and lifting Jarod's head up and offered him the straw once more. "Take it easy Jarod." Too much too fast would be a serious mistake, his body would reject the much needed liquid.

He sucked on it slowly, enjoying the coolness of it, even the smell of it. He had never seen such a god forsaken place as this outback. "Dead heart,” He whispered, understanding that term now. That reference had come to him during his trek, from some half remembered article he had read one time.

"Pardon?" Gracie asked as she put the empty glass back on the night stand, she barely heard the whisper.

"That’s what it is, a dead heart.” He felt a little better after more water, but still terribly weak. He knew he had been utterly defeated, by them, and by this country.

"Yes, it’s the Dead Heart. The Red Centre. You know, it’s not all like that. There are national parks and towns and tourist destinations in the outback." Kakadu National Park was filled with trees and animals, and water. Ayres Rock was a major tourist destination, shops and people and relief. Too bad they were too far away from both and in the middle of absolute nowhere.

Jarod made a noise that might have been a laugh or a sob thinking about where these places might have been. The irony that he had was trapped yet again in the Centre, albeit a red one this time had not escaped him. He closed his eyes again, wishing now that she had left him to die out there.

"Do you remember asking to bring you back here Jarod?” She asked him gently. It would be pointless if he didn’t remember submitting to coming home, asking to come home.

He nodded his head, unable to say the words.

"You realise now, even if I did find another way to help out, you can’t leave?” She asked, knowing how he was hating himself. She knew he would hate her as well after he moved on from the self loathing.

He knew he was defeated, knew that he couldn’t outthink thousands of miles of the most unhospitable terrain in the world, about which he knew so little, and he didn’t think they would furnish him with that information, nor ever relax their security again to give him another opportunity. His mind wasn’t going to be enough this time. He would need help if he was ever going to leave here. It was a bitter pill to swallow, but it was true.

"You know you are going to have to work for us now don’t you? No ifs, no buts." She said to him ever so gently, hoping this would make him see fighting was useless.

He may be trapped, but he wasn’t completely destroyed, not yet. But right now that was too hard to think about. "No ifs, no buts,” He agreed.

"Good Jarod, that’s really good. Working is good, keeps you safe, keep you out of harms way doesn’t it?” She asked, grabbing the sponge and wiping down his face with the tinted water, speaking to him as if he were a small child that didn’t know any better.

Jarod relaxed and let her tend to him, there was nothing he could do anyway. But he had to admit, it felt good.

She slowly made her way down to his chest, washing him down again but paused. "I washed you down last time Jarod. But I want your permission for this bath.” She asked, not willing to touch him if he didn’t want it.

"Please,” He said to her softly, needing whatever was in the water. He could almost feel his cells drinking it in.

"Ok.” She nodded and went about slowly, gently washing down his chest and arms, not going sparingly on the water. Grace paused at his waist that was covered with the thin sheet. "Jarod?” She asked again, her voice showing her nervousness about washing him where she knew he most definitely didn’t want her to go.

"Yes?” He said, already guessing what she was about to ask.

"I don’t want to touch you if it is wrong.” She whispered, not knowing what to do. He seemed to like the sponge bath, but last time she and touched him down there she had been told off.

He tried to look at her and waited until she caught his eye. "Please Miss Gracie,” He nodded to her, letting her know she should do it. At this point he was beyond being embarrassed about his nakedness and he only prayed that she didn’t want to try to play with him again.

Gracie nodded and pulled the sheet back. Dipping the sponge in the water, she went about gently washing every inch of his body down with the cooling water.