Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry. I know this took a long time, and I will try harder to get the next one up soon. As always, this is co authored. Hope you enjoy
Gracie silently made her way to the infirmary and let the doctors go over her, refusing any pain killers. She did not deserve them. She was in trouble, and that was all there was to it. She hadn’t been told not to take them, nor had she been given permission to have some. She thought to be on the safe side she would decline the offer. And if she was told off, ask for forgiveness. When Gracie was allowed to leave, having had her rib's taped and her face fixed up a little. She didn’t know what to do with herself. Wil and Jon off on their own and she didn’t want to bother them yet. Deciding to go see Jarod again, she made her way slowly back to his cell and let herself in, seeing him back in the corner underneath the camera. Gracie knew he hated it here, but she was going to change that if she could.

Jarod looked up as the door opened and he saw her again. She hadn’t been gone all that long, although it was hard to gauge the passage of time with literally nothing to do.

She forced a smile to her face, wincing as she pulled on the cut on her lip. “Good afternoon Jarod." Gracie said formally.

“What's good about it?” He asked her, curious to see what she would say. He could see plainly that she was not happy and wondered what she was doing back down here.

"Nothing right now, but I am sure that will change.” It was the first time she had been so pessimistic around Jarod. Grace was normally so optimistic about everything. She slid down the wall and sat facing him, watching him.

He shook his head. Nothing was going to change for him that he would welcome. He had been thinking about the repercussions of what he had said to her before, and knew he had to be much more careful. He would resist them with everything in his being, not caring what they did to him or how much they hurt him, but he did not want to be responsible for any pain for her. He had thought he had been helping her before, but he realised how naïve that was now. The only way to really help her, would be to get her and her sister out of here and show them, teach them, how to lives their own lives again. He was also coming to understand just how difficult escape might prove to be. Sydney was likely to be back at the Centre now, having delivered a full report. They would be searching for him, and a rescue by the Centre might be his only hope. Although that was out of the frying pan straight into the fire.

“You resent me bringing here don’t you Jarod? And you will never like it here no matter how good I make it for you.” She said, it was not really a question, more of a statement.

He shook his head. How could she understand so much, but not understand that? He could never ever be happy being held against his will, his talents exploited for other's benefits, with no choice in anything. His work used to hurt and kill. He could never accept enslavement. “It will never be any good here,” He said softly, looking around the tiny cell again.

“I can make it good here Jarod. Make your work good. So you like it. Don’t want to leave here,” She said, "Or me.” She whispered. Grace didn’t understand why she felt the need for Jarod to like her, it was so different from anything else she had ever felt.

Despite everything she had done, he did feel sorry for this girl. “I don’t want to leave you, but I cannot accept this imprisonment, I just can’t."

“But it’s not imprisonment Jarod. It’s an honour to be here. It really is. I wish you could see that.” She said looking at him sadly. Other then Wil and Jon, Jarod was the first person to really speak to her like she mattered. And she could hold up a conversation with him.

“The door is locked, this is a cell,” He stated the obvious.

“Yes, this is, but most of the rooms are not." She tried to tell him.

“So if you decided to leave, you could just go?” He asked her flatly.

"Of course not Jarod. We need permission to leave the facility, but we are most of the times free to roam around.”

Jarod shrugged. “Then I am happy for you, but don’t ask me to accept it or like it. I cannot, it is that simple."

“Then I will be forced to make you do as you are told Jarod if I am on the team.” She said in a cold voice, the pain in her eyes.

He nodded. “I understand,” He said very softly.

Grace sighed heavily. “This isn’t fair. I know we are just projects, and we have no rights, but I also know that you really, honestly do not want to be here. I can feel it coming off of you so strongly. I wish I could make things right, but I have to do as I am told." Even saying it wasn’t fair went against her training, but she had found recently that she had been doing a lot of things that were classed as bad.

“I understand how the game is played. You must do what you must do, as I must as well.” He had no doubt she would hurt him, and despite her apparent reluctance, she had seemed to enjoy doing it well enough before. “Do not get yourself into trouble on my account."

“I won’t, I seem to be managing to do that fine on my own.” Grace tried to joke. “He isn’t happy with me anymore, isn’t so proud.” She said miserably. All she wanted was to make her boss happy, but she failing it terribly. Not even a ‘well done Grace’ when she had brought Jarod in. She wanted a simple ‘you did well’ or something along those lines. Not him starring at Jarod, cold smile and half mumbling she would get new quarters.

“I am sorry, maybe I am not the one he was after at all. But that is hardly your fault.” Jarod told her, trying to offer her some kind of comfort.

"No, I do think you are the one he was after. As I understand it, you are THE pretender and he is ecstatic you are now one of his. Maybe I didn’t bring you in soon enough, or didn’t offer him more suitable projects over the years. Maybe he doesn’t even want me anymore now he has you.” If she had known, she would know what she was feeling was jealousy. She had never felt like this before, always having the lime light from him, and now it had moved to his brand new toy.

“The fact that you still have access to this cell and are the only person I have been permitted to see tells me that is not the case. I imagine your 'talents' make you all but invaluable to him, and he would be a fool to ignore such a resourceful asset.” He hated thinking about her in those terms, but he knew that was what she would understand the most.

She looked at Jarod and offered a weak smile, “You think so?” It was one of the nicest things anyone had said to her in a long time and it made her still feel wanted and needed here.

“If he wanted to get rid of you, don’t you think the first thing he would do is deny you access to me?” He asked reasonably.

She nodded, “Most likely, yes. But he knows I have the most experience with you.” Gracie countered.

“That in itself should guarantee you don’t you think?"

Grace nodded and smiled broadly. “So you think he still does want me then? He isn’t disappointed in me?" She asked in hope.

“I don’t know, but you are down here, so I am guessing that he is happy with you. If I am so important to him, then wouldn’t he put one of his most important people he trusted on my case?” He couldn’t believe what he was saying.

Gracie nodded and her grin got even bigger, she crawled across the small room, ignoring the pains she felt and wrapped her arms around him tightly.

Jarod froze and then forced his sore body to relax as he let her snuggle into him. This was the most incredibly bizarre situation he had ever found himself in. He was comforting his captor, the girl that had delivered him into slavery and had already admitted that she was going to keep hurting him.

She pulled back quickly and looked at Jarod remorsefully, “I’m sorry, I should have asked first. I didn’t mean to touch you.” Gracie still didn’t quite understand what touching was allowed and what wasn’t. And Jarod had just helped her see she was still wanted and she might have just gone and broke her promise.

“That is alright,” He told her. “Can you understand the difference between the way we touched just then and what you did before? How different it was, for both of us?"

She sat back a little in front of him and nodded. “You were scared last time, even if your body enjoyed it. You didn’t want it. And even though I was just looking, was curious, it come out as though I was using it as a power play over you." Gracie told him formally.

“That's right, but this was different, this was about comfort and need. Two people offering something to each other, it was sharing. And how did it make you feel? Nice?"

She nodded, “Warm.” Gracie told him. “I was happy, you showed me I was still wanted, and it is what I do with Wil and Jon when I am happy."

“That is a very different type of touching, it is not about exploitation, and it is you thinking about the other person's feelings too. Many forms of touching can be very pleasurable.” That was something Jarod had craved all of his life. To be touched with gentleness and care.

“Pleasurable like how I stroked your penis Jarod? I know you found that pleasurable, despite not wanting it.” She said innocently, looking at him with her green eyes, wide and curious, starving for new knowledge.

"No, that was a biological response. I am not talking about sexual pleasure, but the pleasure of the warmth of a touch.” He picked up her hand and held it gently. “Like holding hands, it is an expression of friendship, of caring."

She looked at his hand holding hers and snatched it back, getting way too many images and emotions from him at one time. Gracie was forced to close her eyes to control them. His emotions were so strong and it was a bit overwhelming.

“I am sorry,” He said in surprise, looking at her in worry. “I didn’t mean to hurt you."

When everything was under control she opened her eyes and smiled, "No, you didn’t. Just...” She trailed off, shaking her head. “Doesn’t matter. But I think I might be understanding what you mean now."

Jarod nodded, not really understanding and watched her, trying to understand. He had tried to SIM her and had had little success. He had never come across a more frustrating individual as she was. He could not get into her head at all. He understood her training, her programming, but he had been unable to understand anything else about her at all. It was more than disconcerting for him.

“I understand by how you always wanted Sydney to touch you. Like the hand on your shoulder, picking you up when you were little and upset over a SIM. How...” She frowned for a moment as she chased the image, "Nia? Held you when you cried. How your father held you when you found him. Those are good touches."

“Yes,” He said softly, the images and memories running through his head as she listed them. “Yes, good touches."

“But how I touched you, how Jon threatened to touch Sydney, how Mr Mathew touched me. Those are bad touches.” Gracie said nodding her head in satisfaction. She was still a bit iffy on some touches, but thought she had it worked out now.

“Yes,” Jarod said, worried that he might be doing her more harm than good with this kind of knowledge.

“I understand.” She smiled. Grace glanced at her watch. “I must get going. I need to try and shower, and get changed and grab something to eat before the meeting. Sir will not be pleased if I turn up like this." Grace said, looking down at her clothes.

“What do I do... About the bathroom?” He asked her, not knowing how long he might be left in here.

Gracie looked around the barren room and shrugged, “I have never been bad enough to be put in one of these rooms. I guess hold yourself until, or if, someone comes to take you to the bathroom.” She said as she struggled to get to her feet.

He helped her to stand up, grimacing at his own aches and pains. That was not really what he was hoping to hear and wondered why he had been placed in what seemed like their most severe cells.

“Thank you Jarod,” Gracie said as he helped her. “I severely doubt you will be joining us for the meeting. And if not, I will be back afterwards sometimes to inform you on what is going on.” Grace said formally as she moved to the door. She was beyond nervous about this meeting, not really knowing what to expect from it, never being permitted to sit in on one before.

He sighed heavily, wishing for something to do, to distract him from the bleakness of this place and to stop him from thinking about his immediate future. He was not yet ready to give up hope, but he knew that there would be no easy fix this time. He had survived a month under Lyle's tender care, and he would survive this too.

Gracie was very nervous after the meeting. Having such a big responsibly put onto her. She was not only just a project now, but a handler. She was dying to see her sister and decided Jarod could wait about his fate for a while longer and made her way to Bailey’s room. She let herself in to see her sister on the bed, with one of her animals. She was scared Bailey wouldn’t remember her after three years, regardless that they spoke on the phone often.

Bailey looked up as her door opened, she never really got any visitors and looked at the girl standing there. She frowned for a second and then her face broke out in a sunny smile. “Gracie?” She whispered, carefully putting the little possum down.

Grace smiled and nodded, bending down and opening her arms, “I have missed you so much Bailey." She said with so much emotion in her voice she almost choked on it.

“You got so big,” She said and rushed over to her, throwing herself at her. “You look different."

Grace held her tightly, stroking her hair. “So have you. You are double as big as you were when I left.” She whispered, pushing her away a little to look over her. “You have gotten so grown up." Gracie was struggling not to cry at see her baby sister for so long.

“And you have gotten hurt,” She said in clear disapproval, touching the new bruise gently.

Gracie smiled sadly, “Don’t worry about that Bailey. I did something I shouldn’t done. But I learnt my lesson and won’t do it again. So who is your little friend over there?” She asked, pointing towards the baby possum, wanting to change the subject. She had not seen Bailey for three years, and her punishment was the last thing she wanted to talk about.

“This is Walter,” She said proudly, “He is only a baby.” She was a natural with animals and when she was good, they let her tend them, said they might even let her keep this one if she was really good.

Gracie walked over, wincing as she stood to her feet and moved over, sitting on the bed and carefully picking Walter up. “He is very small. What happened to his mummy?” She asked, checking the baby over.

“Don’t know,” She shrugged, not caring about that. “Do you like him?” She asked nervously, sitting down opposite her, still smiling. “I missed you Grace.”

Gracie wrapped an arm around Bailey's shoulders and pulled her close. “I missed you more then anything Bailey. But I am not going anywhere for a long time. I have just been made a handler over a new project. So I’m stuck here with you for a while yet.” She smirked, kissing Bailey's head. “And yes I do like him,” She said, thinking she meant the possum, but one was never sure with Bailey. She was an extremely strong empath, and because she was only 7, never really explained her questions too much.

“That's good,” She stated firmly. “I wish you were my handler too,” She said in a small voice after a moment of silence.

Gracie put the possum carefully back on the bed, and lifted Bailey to sit on her lap, ignoring the pain from her ribs. Wrapping her arms around her shoulders lovingly, knowing even more so now what Jarod meant about good touching, “I wish I could look after you too Bailey. But you know you have your own handler. And you have to do as she tells you. I have been told my project duties have been suspended for a little while. So when I am not working on the new project, the time I have spare is my free time. So I can come see you so much more often now. And I am allowed to take you outside when I want, within reason. So we can look at the plants and animals. How does that sound to you?"

Bailey looked up at her with narrowed eyes, sensing any tricks or if she was just telling her this because she was going away again. After a moment, she smiled and hugged her back, having decided it was not a bribe after all. “That is so good. We can have some fun together and Walter can come too.” She nodded happily to herself now that was all settled.

“Yes, Walter can come with us too.” Gracie smiled happily, glad Bailey was happy with this. “How did the Joey go? Was he released back into the wild?” She asked her, last month when they spoke, she was almost ready to released her baby Joey, that wasn’t such a baby anymore.

“Yes,” She said sourly. “They said I might be able to keep him too, but then they said he was too big. It wasn’t fair."

“You know it’s not fair to keep them down here Bailey.” Gracie lectured in a gentle voice. “They are wild animals they should be living out with others like them. And you don’t think a male red kangaroo when he got all grown up might really just be a bit too big to keep in your room?” She asked with a grin, her voice patronising slightly.

Bailey's bottom lip started to tremble as she pouted. “You think you are so good now you are a handler."

Gracie laughed out loud and gave her a big hug, "No, I think I’m so good because I am your older sister.” She looked into Bailey's green eyes, exactly like her own. “I brought back a few gifts for you from America. You can have them when my bags arrive. Do you think you would like some gifts to make you all better after having to let your Joey go?"

“Presents? For me?” She asked excitedly, all thoughts of her Joey gone. "Really?"

“You don’t think I would spend so long away from my little angel and not bring her back some presents now do you?” She laughed at the enthusiasm. “They should be here by morning, I’ll give them to you then." All thoughts and worries over Jarod and what she might have to do to him vanished form her mind, just enjoying herself with her baby sister, having missed her so incredibly much.

"Only one sleep?” She asked, not believing they would come so soon.

“Yes, only one sleep Bailey.” She smiled even more, giving her another kiss. “I have some work to do, but I want you to come with me. I want you to meet my project.” She offered, wondering if Bailey would come with her.

Bailey looked at her for a minute, not sure if she wanted to. But if Gracie was a handler now, she had to do what she was told. “Walter, I will be back in a little while. You be a very good boy now and mummy will be back to look after you and talk to you again. Don’t be scared being all by yourself. Gracie?” She asked as she took her hand and followed her.

“Yes Bailey?” She asked, “Why don’t you bring Walter too? I don’t think this project has seen a possum before." Not only would it interest Jarod to meet a new animal such as Walter, but it would make Bailey feel safer.

She ripped her hand away and rushed over to him and picked him up with infinite care. She held him close to her chest and offered Gracie her hand again. Her question forgotten.

Gracie smiled softly and took her hand, “What is you wanted to ask Bailey?” She asked her as they started to make their way to Gracie’s new room. She hadn’t had the chance to look at it yet, going straight from the meeting with the owners to Bailey. She had asked the new team members to meet her in her room in 20 minuets and for the boys to bring Jarod, and she hoped to get there before the rest, so she could have a quick look around.

"Now you are a handler, will you have to punish me too?” She asked, watching her possum, trusting Gracie to guide her.

Gracie stopped and sighed, she knelt down and forced Bailey to turn to her, tilting her chin up. “I will never lay a hand on you Bailey, not ever. I would rather be punished myself then hurt you. I am still a project, I still have to follow the same rules, do as I am told, receive punishments myself if I am bad, just like you. I am only looking after one project because I have the most experienced. But I am not your handler, I won’t punish you. You only have to do as I say because I am your older sister, not because I am a handler. And I hope you behave for the owners so you don’t need to be punished.” She said sternly, “I know you are such a good girl, and I know you rarely need to be punished, but just remember, if you ever do anything wrong, it will not be me that has to teach you your lesson. Do you understand me honey?” She asked gently, yet firmly. She needed Bailey to understand Gracie would NEVER harm her.

She nodded. “But you are laying your hands on me now,” She said, a little confused.

Gracie laughed, “Yes I forgot, I picked up a few expressions and terms while I was outside. I mean I will never hit you.” She clarified.

She nodded seriously as she thought about it. “You are very different Gracie and you talk funny now."

She stood to her feet and took Bailey's hand as they started to walk again. “It’s been a long time since I have been home Bailey. I have picked up the American accent, learnt some of their expressions. I have grown up just like you have."

“I think you grew up more than I did,” She stated with certainty. “What was it like out there? Was it scary?"

She nodded, “It was at first. There were lots of people. More people then what there is here. And they do things so differently. I didn’t venture out of my home very much, only when it was needed for the assignment.” Gracie told her as they found her new room. It was fairly close to Bailey's and was grateful to that. She opened the door and walked in. “Wow. Look at this room.” She said in amazement. The bed was huge, there were couches and a TV, a little office set up. And her own bathroom and chest of draws. There was bookshelves filled with books, a table and chairs to eat at, it was wonderful.

"Ohhhhh,” Bailey said, everything else forgotten as she turned around slowly to look at it.

Gracie walked in and took a look around. She went to the draws and opened it, finding clothes in there. There was a mix of project and hander clothes, and three draws were empty, guessing it was for her own clothes from overseas. She grabbed a singlet and went to Bailey, “Wrap this around Walter, he might get cold. It is a lot hotter outside where he was with his mummy, and you can’t let him got to cold or he will get sick." Grace was just itching to look at the bathroom and left Bailey for a moment and checked it out. It was full of soft towels and bath products and even had a bathtub.

Bailey plopped down on the bed and put Walter on it gently. It was much bigger and softer than hers. “This will keep you nice and warm Walter,” She told him absently, her eyes still wide as she looked at the room, bouncing just a little on the bed. She wondered if they would let her sleep with Gracie again sometimes, even though she was all grown up now.

Gracie heard the knock at the door and it open, “Gracie?” Jon called out as Wil walked in with Jarod tightly cuffed. He stopped as he saw Bailey, “Hey Bailey,” He said warmly, not sure if she remembered him, it had been three years since they all saw her last.

Gracie moved out quickly and took Jarod roughly, duping him on a chair at the table, “Stay,” She ordered and moved back to the boys.

Jarod looked around at the room, not saying anything just yet. They had made it perfectly clear to him that he had better not screw this meeting up for her or they would make him regret it.

“Who are you?” Bailey said, moving to hide behind her sister.

“It’s alright Bailey, this is Jon and Wil. You might not remember them. You were only little when you first met them. You haven’t seen them since I left. They have been looking after me since I was a baby."

She peeked around Gracie and looked at them for a moment, her brow furrowed in concentration and then nodded, but not moving from the safety. “What about him?” She whispered, tugging on her sister's sleeve.

"Never mind him for a moment Bailey.” She said, hearing another knock on the door. ”I need you to go sit on the bed and be quiet for a little while please Bailey. You look after Walter. I will tell you about the other man very soon. Can you do that for me please honey?” She asked, turning to face her as Jon let the rest of the team in.

She nodded, not saying anything, but not taking her eyes from the man she knew was Jarod. She moved over to the bed and picked up Walter protectively, talking to him softly.

Jarod guessed the girl had to be her sister, the resemblance was striking, and he could see her fear. He remained still, just watching them all, and offered a smile to the girl.

Gracie moved Jarod over to what seemed like the lounge room section of her massive room and sat him on the couch, as far away from Bailey as she could. She watched the other people walk in. “Please over here.” She called out to her boys and the new ones. She looked down at Jarod smiling at Bailey, “Don’t.” She warned. “Don’t look at her, don’t smile, don’t talk. Not while these people are here. I won’t give them something to use against me or you. Am I understood?” She hissed in a cold, quite whisper as everyone moved over to the lounge area. She would rip Jarod’s throat out with her bare hands if he caused any harm to her little sister.

Jarod understood perfectly and decided for now to play the role of submissive project. He didn’t need to be an empath to feel the nerves coming off of her. He cast his eyes down to the floor, found an imperfection in the carpet and locked his gaze on it, while he carefully listened to all that went on about him.

She stood up and looked at the new people in her room. She moved to her new desk and grabbed the file she had and flicked through it coming back. “Alright, my name is Miss Gracie, this is Wil and Jon.” She looked at the two new sweepers. "Jackson, Shane, you will have a briefing with Wil and Jon in the morning at 0900. Am I clear?” She asked in her old voice.

Bailey focused on Walter, knowing that this was grown up stuff, handler stuff and it had nothing to do with her. She knew how nervous Gracie was and she was only allowed here because she was so important now.

“Yes ma'am.” They answer in unison.

“Good, you are dismissed. Wil, Jon, make sure you have their assignments ready at 0900.” She said as the other two left. She turned to the nurse. "Nurse Jane, Jarod is your new charge. I will expect you to be available regardless of the time of day or night if he needs medical attention. He is very important, and I know from experience how good of a nurse you are.” She knew technically she should have been given a doctor, but her boss apparently thought a nurse was better.

"Of course Miss Gracie,” She said looking at Jarod, thinking it wouldn’t be a hardship at all. She could barely wait to tell the others that she had landed the best looking project she had ever seen.

“I will need a full medical done of him in the morning at 0800, the report will be sent to me by 0930.” She gave the orders, feeling weird about this. It was different before, she was the boss but here she was a project with a big task, bossing around those that normally bossed her around.

Jarod had listened, his heart sinking as his future was arranged and scheduled out. He wondered if this was where they were moving him to and he thought it was a significant step up. It was almost like his old room at the Centre.

She dismissed the nurse and turned to the shrink, “Mr Collins, you will be helping him perform his simulations. You are the best shrink we have, and his last handler was a shrink too. I have some DSA's for you to study to understand what you will have to do. You have until midday tomorrow to try a very basic SIM."

Jarod listened and he vowed he was not going to do it. But he kept his eyes on the ground and made no response that he was even aware they were in the room.

“Yes Miss Gracie, I will be prepared."

“Good. I am not really expecting much from him for a while, so you have plenty of time to understand everything. He will be ready to pick up from his cell at 12.” Gracie said in a way of getting rid at him.

Walter was asleep and Bailey was bored, eager to talk to her sister that she hadn’t seen in so long. She was getting a bunch of weird stuff from Gracie's new project and she was scared of him a little. She sat very still on the bed, used to having to sit still for prolonged periods of time.

When he was gone Gracie sighed and dumped the file on the couch. Grace had already had the big meeting, just before going to Bailey, this was just for her to get use to handing out orders and to see who her staff were. She left Jarod alone and took the cuff key from Wil, “Can you two stand guard outside me room? I’ll call you when I need you or if Jarod gives me any hassle." She asked then, giving them a small, tried smile.

Jarod finally looked up. “I won’t give you any hassle,” He told her, not with the child in the room and he wondered if that was why she brought her.

“Good.” She nodded in relief. She couldn’t handle having to hurt Jarod in front of Bailey.

“We will be just outside Gracie.” Jon said, walking Wil out with him, shutting the door gently and standing guard.

Gracie moved to Jarod and removed the cuffs, freeing his arms that were trapped behind his back. “Thank you for not talking Jarod, I appreciate it.” She said before moving to sit on the bed next to Bailey.

Jarod rubbed his wrists and watched the two of them intently, not really sure what was expected of him now. He didn’t move, not wanting to scare the little girl who was clearly frightened of him.

Bailey moved closer to her, looking at him timidly.

“Bailey, I want you to meet my new project.” Gracie said gently. She could feel Bailey was scared of him easily and didn’t really blame her, she rarely met new people. "Jarod, why don’t you come over here for me please?"

He didn’t want to do anything to frighten her further and so moved slowly. “Hello, my name is Jarod, what is yours?” He asked in his friendliest voice. Jarod crouched down to make himself smaller and looked up into her frightened eyes.

Bailey shook her head no and huddled closer into her sister.

Gracie wrapped her arms around Bailey protectively, “Why are you scared Bailey? Tell me what you are feeling.” She said gently, as she did every other time she got like this.

“Lots of stuff, good stuff and bad stuff,” She whispered loudly, not taking her eyes off of Jarod.

“I am not going to hurt you,” Jarod promised. “But do you mind if I look at your little friend there please?"

“Yeah, good luck Jarod.” Gracie laughed. “Bailey only lets me, her handler and herself touch her little friends.” She was so very protective of her animals, playing mother to them.

“How about I don’t touch, just look then?” Jarod tried to appease her. “I have never seen an animal like that before.”

She wondered if Bailey could feel Jarod's caring and protective side, and might just let him go near her animals. Bailey always did amaze her.

“His name is Walter,” She said softly, still trying to figure this guy out. He hated it here and wanted to go, but he liked Gracie and Gracie liked him too. So he must be not too bad then.

“Walter?” Jarod asked with a smile, crossing his legs as he sat on the floor. “What is he?"

“A possum,” She declared proudly. “How can you not know about what possums look like?"

"Jarod doesn’t live here Bailey, he is from America. You know they have different animals over there don’t you?” Grace asked. She tried not to laugh at the shock in Bailey’s voice about Jarod not knowing of a possum.

She nodded, and then pulled her down so she could whisper in her ear. “He talks funny too."

Gracie laughed, “Yeah he does doesn’t he? I bet he sounds like me. Do you think it would be alright if Jarod sat on the bed to get a closer look at Walter?"

She screwed up her face, still not sure about him and then nodded after a moment, not taking her eyes off him.

Jarod got up and sat on the other side of Grace but not too close. “And for the record, I don’t talk funny, you do,” He grinned at her.

“Do not, I talk normal.” She protested hotly.

"Ok, Bailey, Jarod that’s enough.” She said, knowing if Bailey got started she wouldn’t stop. She took Walter from her and unwrapped the possum, giving the baby back to her sister. “Why don’t you tell Jarod a bit about what Walter is?"

Bailey sulked a little and then looked at Walter. “He is a baby possum, and I am going to get to keep him,” She stated even though she wasn’t really sure about that yet.

“He is very nice,” Jarod said softly, looking at him. “We have a raccoon which is a bit like that.” Jarod was watching him closely, curious to learn more about them.

“That's cos he is a brush-tail, native only to us."

Gracie grinned. “She knows just about everything on any native wildlife we have. Don’t you Bailey?” She said proudly. They tried to give each project something to do in their spare time, and Bailey had taking an instant liking to animals. She looked after them and researched them, and learnt as much as she could.

“I know lots, I have been studying.” She beamed at Gracie. “And I know even more now than before you went away.”

Gracie's eyes widened, "Really? I don’t believe that, you knew tons before I left. Why don’t you prove it and tell me what sort of food he eats when he is off his milk?

“He eats leaves from the trees, but some of the pygmy possums…” She paused for a minute to look at Jarod. “Pygmy means real small, they eat insects and spiders too."

Jarod made a face and shuddered to show her how grossed out he was by that.

Gracie laughed at that, not only was Jarod disgusted by that thought, but her 7 year old sister was telling probably the world’s smartest genius what pygmy meant. “Well done Bailey, I am impressed.” She praised her.

Bailey glowed at the praise. “I learnt heaps of other stuff too while you were gone. I know so much now,” She said very matter-of-factly. “Did you know we have lots of plants and animals here that you Americans don’t have?” She asked him, her voice full of pride.

Jarod had to bite back the laugh and smiled at her. “I just bet you do too. And I bet you know all about them."

Gracie watched her sister, a happy smile on her face and held her closer. She would do whatever it took not to be sent away again. “Hey Bailey, wanna know something?” She asked in a stage whisper.

Bailey nodded at her. "Of course, knowing stuff is good." It was obvious that she thought that Gracie should already know that.

“Yes it is,” Jarod agreed.

Gracie grinned at her, “Did you know, Jarod ate local bush tucker when he arrived. He was grossed out by the witchetty grubs and the beetles. He tried them and he liked them. I never thought an American would have the guts to try our yummy food."

“They are good for you,” She said as if it was no big deal. She had eaten them all of her life and couldn’t figure out why he wouldn’t. “Don’t Americans like good food?” She had no idea about Americans really. They looked the same but they talked funny, and they had different animals. “Maybe they have different food over there."

“Yes they do, but we don’t want to give this naïve American the impression bush tucker is all we eat here do we? What do you think he would think of vegemite?” She asked, grinning broadly, wondering how he would like that.

“Miss Gracie,” Jarod interrupted.

Gracie looked at Jarod, “Yes Jarod, what is it?"

“We never ate any bushes,” He said sceptically. And he had no idea what tucker was either.

“That’s my favourite,” Bailey squealed in delight.

Gracie closed her eyes and rubbed her head, sighing, not only was she going to start having to explain American slang to Bailey, but now Australian to Jarod. “I know it is Bailey.” She smiled at her before turning to Jarod, "Jarod bush tucker is just slang really. It is food gathered and hunted. You normally only hear the phrase in the outback, on the coast and inland were it’s farm and rural communities, you won’t hear it."

Jarod nodded, assimilating all of this. It was English, but not quite like he was used to. “And this vegemite? What is that? And what do that call that on the coast?” He knew that Australia was primarily populated in the coastal regions and that the majority of the centre of the country was nothing but a huge desert, which is where he guessed they must be now.

Gracie shook her head, “Can you believe this guy? He don’t know anything does he Bailey?” She asked, trying not to laugh. It would be a very interesting conversation between Bailey and Jarod if she ever left them alone.

“Hey,” Jarod protested. He had been laughed at frequently for his lack of knowledge on things like popular culture.

Bailey pulled Gracie down again to whisper in her ear.

Gracie leant over and waited.

“We should give him a vegemite sandwich, but put it on really really thick,” She giggled. Nobody liked it spread thick, it made it yucky.

Gracie grinned and sat up, "Now you're just being cruel.” She laughed. Too much and it burnt your lips. She knew Jarod probably wouldn’t like it in the first place, but if it was spread thick… "Jarod, vegemite is a spread, and it is called vegemite on the coast to. It is basically just yeast extract and the world’s best known source of vitamin B."

“Sounds just charming,” Jarod said, not thinking he would like it at all. It sounded a lot like some kind of nutritional supplement. Perhaps that is what they used here instead of the wheatgrass and hearts of palms. “So some foods are called the same and some foods are different?” He tried to clarify. “How do you know which ones?"

Gracie rubbed the bridge of her nose. “Bush tucker is known Australia wide, but you normally only hear it where we are. It’s just the same as America, same food every where, same names, just sometimes there is slang for it." She turned to Bailey, “Let me take Walter, while I get you to run to the kitchen and ask real nicely if I can have three vegemite sandwiches. And do not spread it thick Bailey, no games.” She warned, knowing what she was like.

Jarod nodded, but really did not understand at all.

Bailey nodded, too excited by the thought of an extra snack to want to risk it. She handed Walter over to her. “I promise." It was going to be cool now that her sister was a handler. There might be all kinds of stuff she could get and do that she couldn’t before.

“Good girl.” She smiled and took the possum and watched her leave the room.

Jarod watched her go and looked up at Gracie, terribly sad to imagine her spending her entire life in here, never really knowing what it was like to live freely.

“Here Jarod,” She handed the possum over to him gently. “He is only a baby still, chances are his mother was killed."

Jarod took him carefully and watched his huge eyes as he looked around. “He is very cute,” He smiled. “Will he grow very much bigger than this? And will he survive upon release?"

“If Bailey does it correctly, yes chances are very good he will survive. Most of her animals do. He will roughly triple in size, but being male will probably get just a big bigger then triple. And please don’t be so sad."

“I am sure she will do a wonderful job with him, he is not even frightened.” He looked up at her. “Sad about what?"

“About me, us, being here. Living our lives here.” She stated, taking Walter back before Bailey came back so she didn’t chuck a fit.

He handed the tiny animal over, surprised it was still alive. He didn’t know anything about possums, but it was a testament to her skill that she could keep it alive. Most animals if they lost their mother that young would be sure to perish. “I can understand Bailey's attitude. This is all she knows, and she seems happy, but you have been outside, how can you not want more than this?"

“This is my life Jarod. All I know to do is take orders, perform to my best. I was made to please those that own me. And I really do like it here. It’s not as bad as you seem to think." Gracie told him again. If she told herself that it wasn’t that bad, she could almost believe it. As long as she had her sister, could see her, she would put up with everything bad about this place.

Jarod sighed heavily and dropped it, there was no point in arguing with her, but it made things much more difficult for him. “Why did you bring me here?"

“I was given permission after the meeting that I could let Bailey meet you." She said as though it was obvious.

“But why? You didn’t need me for that meeting, and why did you want me to meet her? So it would be easier for you to try and manipulate me?"

Gracie's eyes hardened and she slammed him across the face. “I would never use my sister like that. And you will not think about her in that manner. A tool to control you."

Jarod brought his hand up to his face and looked at her. “Then why? I don’t understand."

“You don’t need to understand Jarod.” She said harshly before softening, feeling his utter confusion. “Despite my training and me trying to control myself, I like you Jarod. After I had hurt you, you still tried to comfort me. You are a good man. And there are not many people like that around here. I want to show Bailey not all men will boss you around, hurt you when you are bad. Not to mention if she didn’t meet you after a few days with me spending time with you, she would start to bug me about who you are." And Grace knew personally how annoying that could be.

“I am sorry,” Jarod said genuinely. He was normally much better at reading people, but he was having an inordinate amount of trouble with trying to figure her out.

Bailey wandered back to the new room happily with a plate full of sandwiches. She was well liked here by the staff and they had been happy to slip her the treats once they knew she had a handler's permission. They all knew Grace had just been given the hottest new assignment, and although she wasn’t Bailey's handler, that was a minor technicality they were glad to look over.

Gracie looked at him. “It’s alright, I should have realised you would think I was up to something letting her meet you. But understand this Jarod, I don’t care what goes on, Bailey is my number one priority. I will keep her safe and out of harms way. I will not use her, not even to save my life, or yours." She told him deadly serious.

He nodded again, impressed with her level of commitment to her little sister. He could hear the integrity in her words, but at the same time, he just knew the own hole he was in just got a lot deeper.

She looked up as the door opened and a smile came to her face naturally. “I hope you used your manners Bailey.” She said, placing the possum on the bed gently and got up and took the plate from her.

“I did,” She said, rushing over to check on Walter. “I am not four anymore Gracie, I know how to behave."

Gracie smirked, “I should hope so.” She climbed onto the bed and put the plate between them. “Do you think Walter might like some?” She asked as she took once for herself and bit into it, “Man I have missed this.” She said handing one to Jarod, “Chances are you won’t like it."

Jarod took it, sniffing at it. He watched the two of them eating it with obvious relish and Bailey fed a small piece of bread to the little possum. He took a bite and had to fight not to spit it out. His hand came up to cover his mouth, his face twisting in a grimace.

Gracie watched him struggling with it and reached over, opening the bread, "Not spread thick, it will do you good to swallow that Jarod." Gracie ordered him in a gentle voice.

He forced it down, swallowing heavily. “That is just awful."

Bailey giggled and munched on her sandwich. She knew Americans must be different. Everybody loved vegemite in this country.

"Oh come now, it’s not that bad. But I should have known you wouldn’t like it. Pretty much anyone from overseas that tries it doesn’t. It’s an acquired taste, like red wine. You have to be raised on it." She said, trying to keep the smile from her face.

"Red wine is very nice, this stuff is... it is horrid.” He looked down at the sandwich and shook his head.

Gracie snorted. “You're right Bailey, he doesn’t know good food.” She watched Bailey eating hers, loving it.

“You want mine?” Jarod offered her.

Bailey looked at Gracie to see if it would be alright.

“Go ahead honey. I know you love it. You will have to get used to it Jarod, it’s a regular meal they give you."

“I think I prefer the... what did you call them? Grubs?” It would take some getting used to, this strange language.

Bailey shuffled forward and snatched the sandwich from him and then scooted back with her treasure.

“Witchetty grubs.” She grinned, “I’ll give you a live one next time. And Bailey, please do not snatch, it is rude, now apologise to Jarod.” She chided her for her rudeness.

Bailey hung her head and whispered. “I am sorry."

“I know you like these sandwiches, but it is not polite to snatch Bailey, you know that."

She nodded again. “I’m sorry Sir. I did not mean to be rude.” But she was still a little scared of him.

“That’s alright Bailey, I understand."

“Come here Bailey,” Gracie said patting her lap and waited while she shifted over to sit with her. Wrapping her arms around her little sister and holding her tightly. “I don’t mean to tell you off Bailey, but if you did that around your handler or an owner, you would be in lots of trouble and I don’t want to see you in trouble."

She nodded again and offered him the sandwich back.

Jarod shook his head. “You keep it, I can tell you are hungry.” He said with a soft smile, trying to show her she had nothing to be afraid of.

“Go ahead Bailey and have it, mine too if you are still hungry.” She said looking at the plate with the rest of the food.

"No, you should have it, I know you want it. We can share his.” Her voice dropped dramatically at the last word.

Gracie stroked her hair back. “Thanks honey.” She said and took a half of a sandwich and munched on it, it was getting late. Her meeting had gone for two, nearly three hours going over the security and new rules for Gracie and a lot of other boring stuff. It was just past 830 by her watch and now Bailey had to be in bed soon and she had to get Jarod back, “Why don’t you finish those sandwiches, we need to get you off to bed soon."

Bailey nodded happily, watching Jarod. She knew he was going to make trouble for all of them, but he seemed nice so far.

"Jarod, Mr Marcus seems to find it necessary to keep you in the cell you were placed in for now. Until you earn your privileges."

Jarod realised instantly that this was probably her room. He thought about that miserable little space and he sighed. “I understand.” He wasn’t sure he would ever 'earn' his way out of it, but at the moment would just have to accept it, having no other choice.

“I have taken a risk. I know I was allowed to give you a pillow and blanket, but I have given you quite a few blankets so you can lay on and cover yourself to make it a little more comfortable." She knew it was not much right now, but it was better then nothing.

“Thank you,” He said to her as he slowly got up. “It was very nice to meet you Walter, and you too Bailey."

Gracie grabbed the last sandwich and got up, “Grab Walter Bailey, I will take you back to your room."

“Yes Gracie,” She said, picking up Walter and casting a look at Jarod.

She walked them both to the door, “Wil, Jon.” She called them in, “Can you take Jarod back to his cell. Jarod, you have a medical exam at 0800, I will be there for it."

Jarod just nodded, moving towards the centre of the room, showing them he wasn’t going to offer any kind of resistance, hoping to keep himself out of the cuffs.

Jon moved over and pulled his arms harshly behind his back and snapped the cuffs on, “Let’s go. Night Gracie.” He said, kissing her good night.

"Night Jon."

Wil held his arm tightly as he smiled at Grace and Bailey. “Goodnight my two favourite girls."

Bailey giggled at him and blew him a kiss.

“Good night Wil,” She said, smiling down at Bailey, “Go home and get some rest. I will see you both tomorrow after your briefing with the new boys." She watched as they took Jarod out and led Bailey to her room down the hall. “How did you find Jarod Bailey?” She asked as they walked.

“In the room when they brought him in." It was kind of a dumb question Bailey thought, Gracie had been right there too. They didn’t find Jarod after all, it wasn’t like he was lost.

Gracie shook her head, "No Bailey, I mean did you like Jarod, what feelings did you get from him? Do you think it would be safe if I left you alone in his care?” She asked curiously as they got into Bailey's room.

“He would never hurt me,” She stated calmly, “But he is very mixed up. He hates it and he feels sorry too. He is thinking about so much stuff I had to turn off cos it was starting to get hard to sort it all out."

“Yeah I got that too from him.” She nodded, thinking. “Come, climb into your pyjamas. Finish this if you want it.” Gracie handed her the last sandwich as she took Walter, placing the baby possum in the box of blankets and the stuff toy under the heating lamp, she made sure he was safe and warm before turning back to Bailey.

Bailey climbed into bed, glad Gracie was back. Nobody tucked her in at night and she knew she was way too old for it now, but she still liked it.

Gracie stroked her hair back, watching her with love and warmth and kissed her head. She fixed the blankets up. “I will see about getting you to be allowed to sleep with me some nights. But for tonight, you will have to sleep here." She would love to be allowed to have Bailey sleep with her once or twice a week, just to be able to hold her and watch over her.

Bailey nodded, happy for the vague promise. “Will you stay until I fall asleep?"

“Yes of course.” She said, sitting on the side of the bed and kept brushing her hair back, “Would you like me to sing you to sleep?” She asked gently.

She nodded eagerly. “And do I get my presents in the morning?"

“If they are here, yes you do. Now close your eyes and sleep.” She told her gently and started to sing an aboriginal lullaby she had been taught at a young age.

Bailey closed her eyes and listened to her voice, relaxing in the feeling of love she received from her. Lots of people liked her here, but nobody loved her like Gracie did.

When Gracie knew she was sound asleep, she gently got up and switched off the lights, shutting her door and moving to her room. She had to study the briefing file she was given before she could sleep.