Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: They don't belong to me, no infringement is intended & no money is being made.

A/N: Thanks must go to my wonderful betas Kali & Nancy. *hugs*

This is a companion piece to A Lonely Heart and A Moment of Weakness


Sacrifice
By Melanie-Anne



I love to watch her sleep. There's a peace about her that isn't there when she's awake. The hardness… vanishes. And I feel a certain honor that I'm allowed to see this side of her. I wonder if she knows I lie awake and stare at her. The moonbeams shining through the windows make her look like a goddess.



I love the slight curl of her hair as it falls across the pillow.



I love the way her eyelashes rest against her cheekbones.



I am hopelessly in love with her.



There's still so much I have to learn about her but I know that I have a lifetime to do it in. That said, I doubt it's possible to know everything there is to know. Some part of her will always remain a mystery to me.



Today I asked her to marry me again. Her reply was the same as it always is. "Not yet."



'Not yet' is not 'No.'



She stirs in her sleep, her lips curving upwards ever so slightly. I reach across and brush away the lock of hair that's fallen across her face.



"Mmm… Jarod," she murmurs.



My hand freezes on her hair. She doesn't wake, doesn't realize what she's done.



There is a part of her that will never belong to me, a part of her that only he holds. I've tried to hate him for having it, for knowing so much more about her than I could ever hope to. But I can't. He is my friend. And though he would never willingly come between us, I think he already has.



Yet for some inexplicable reason, despite this connection they seem to have, they're not together. I don't even know if they're aware of what they feel for each other. She knows he cares for her, of that I'm certain. But am I the only one who notices the way her body language changes when she's thinking of him, when she's playing with that rabbit he bought her? She doesn't know that I know him and he begged me not to tell her.



I don't think he's aware of the way his face lights up when he talks about her, or the way he caressed her photograph that day he first told me who she was.



They really do have no idea of how much they mean to each other.



But you know what? I'm glad that things worked out the way they have. I'm glad that, for whatever reason, she's chosen to be with me and not with him.



I do make her happy and I like to think she does care for me, that she's not with me only to ease her loneliness. Perhaps, one day, I will tell her how I know Jarod.



Perhaps not.



If they are truly meant to be together then I'm sure that somehow they will find their way to each other. Fate has a way of stepping in when things aren't going the way they're supposed to.



For now I must be content with what I have, and for this woman to love me even a little is worth more than all the riches in the world. Jarod doesn't know how wealthy he really is. If he ever has the chance to find out, I hope he appreciates it.



I'm half-asleep when I realize we're not alone in the room. I've never seen this blonde woman before but I know she's dangerous. My first instinct is to protect Parker but the woman puts her finger to her lips and gestures for me to follow her out of the room.



With a strange kind of certainty I know that I am about to die. Kneeling on the porch, I look up at the stars. They seem brighter than ever tonight. I hope she know how much I love her.



I guess this is fate, stepping in to make things right.



Goodbye, my love.