Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Guess what? I don't own Jarod or Parker or anything Pretender-related. I'm also not making any money from this and I hope I haven't infringed on any copyrights or anything. So please don't sue me. This was written in response to Mickey's picture challenge. Please r&r.



What really matters



Miss Parker stood in the shower, letting the warm water wash soothingly over her. Rinsing the shampoo out of her hair, she wondered if she should even bother getting dressed up. She was furious that she'd had to work today of all days and she had the feeling that her father was going to let her down. Again.

She sighed, turning off the water and toweled herself dry. What was also weighing on her mind was the fact that Jarod hadn't called and she wasn't sure why that bothered her. But it did and there was no denying that.

He's never forgotten before. He'd better not have forgotten now! Even Broots remembered.

She glanced at the clock on her dresser.

6:45pm.

Daddy's supposed to be here in an hour and a bit. That means he should be phoning to cancel any minute now. Should I even bother? Damn it, Jarod! You, of all people, should at least phone. Not that I care, of course.

Sighing again, she opened her closet and picked out an elegant black dress. She knelt down to pick out a pair of matching stilettos.

Do I really want to dress up for nothing? But what if he keeps his promise tonight?

On her dresser was a gift-wrapped box she hadn't noticed earlier. She smiled and opened the card.

Happy birthday, Miss Parker. I hope you like your gift - I found it about a month ago but needed to wait for the right moment to give it to you. It used to belong to your mother. Enjoy dinner.

She ripped the paper off the box and opened it to find a silver necklace. It was beautiful.

Thank you, Jarod. You don't know what this means to me - well, you probably do. Thank you.

Parker set the necklace carefully back into its box and picked up her comb. The phone rang and she prayed that it was Jarod and not her father calling to cancel.

"Angel, I'm so sorry-"

"Why, Daddy? It's my birthday!"

"I know. But I really can't get away. Maybe tomorrow?"

"Fine. Whatever."

She hung up and tried to take small comfort in that she hadn't dressed for nothing. She fought back tears as she fastened her mother's necklace around her neck.

Why, Daddy? Why can't I be as important to you as the Centre is? Why can't you love me?

"It looks beautiful on you," Jarod said from a corner of the bedroom.

She turned to face him.

"Thank you. It's - I…where did you get it?"

"Remember I sent you a bunch of your mother's letters a while back?" She nodded. "The lady who had them gave it to me. I wanted to give it to you on a special occasion."

"Well, thanks again," she said awkwardly.

"Aren't you going to get dressed?" Jarod asked.

"Oh, funny, Jarod. Don't pretend you didn't hear that conversation!" she spat.

"Well, I was hoping you'd let me take you to dinner."

"Why would you want to do that? Aren't you scared I'll just take you back to the Centre?"

He shook his head. "It's your birthday. It's a special night. You shouldn't have to spend it here. By yourself. Please? I'll be on my best behavior." He gave her a puppy-dog look and she couldn't help giving in.

"Oh, okay. But one wrong move and you're a dead man. Got it?"

"Got it. Uh, one thing, Parker. It's not as fancy as you're used to so wear something casual."

"How casual is casual?" she asked in a tone that said 'I don't do casual'.

"Jeans," he said, slipping out the room.

She shook her head, smiling slightly. Do I even own jeans?

Half an hour later she walked downstairs wearing jeans, a fitted T-shirt and the bare minimum of make up.

"You look…different," Jarod said wide-eyed.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Oh no, not at all. I've just never seen you so…relaxed. It's nice. It suits you."

"Thanks, I think. So where are we going?"

He responded with a grin.

*

"You've got to be kidding me," Parker groaned as they pulled up to a Pizza Hut. "Please tell me you're not seriously bringing me here."

"What's wrong with this place?" Jarod asked.

"It's just…I don't know. It looks-"

"Have you ever been here?"

"No, but-"

He held up a hand, silencing her.

"They make really good food. It's not s bad as you think."

"Jarod, fast food cannot possibly be considered as food."

She received a puppy-dog look again but held her ground this time.

"I don't do pizza."

"So live a little. It's not like it's going to kill you."

"Fine. But after this we go where I want to go. It is my birthday, remember?"

He smiled and leaned across to give her a quick kiss. She was too surprised to do or say anything in response and simply followed him inside.

While they waited for their pizza to arrive they chatted and joked with each other as if the past few years had never happened. Parker was struck by how much fun she was having and was strangely glad that her father had cancelled on her.

She was tempted to change her mind on the fun-issue when a group of waiters arrived, singing 'Happy Birthday'. She glared at Jarod, wishing she could whip out her gun and shoot the singers.

"You're dead," she hissed across the table but Jarod laughed and shrugged.

"Come on, Parker, you're having fun. Admit it. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

Jarod paid the bill and they walked to the car. Parker grabbed the keys out of his hand and climbed in the driver's side.

"Hop in, wonder boy."

"Where to?"

Parker looked at him and smiled, raising an eyebrow.

"Don't worry, we're not going back to the Centre."

"I wasn't worried."

"Mm-hmm." Clearly she didn't believe him.

They pulled up to a bar and Jarod frowned.

"We're coming here?"

"What's wrong with here?"

"Seriously, Parker, if you're trying to get back at me for taking you to Pizza Hut and getting the waiters to sing-"

"It's a lot better on the inside. It's okay, I come here all the time."

A couple of hours later he was still on his first drink and Parker had lost count of how many she'd had.

"It's time to go," he decided.

She regarded him owlishly and shook her head.

"C'mon. You've had way too many."

She smiled and leaned forward, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissed him. Startled, he pulled back.

"Umm…"

"Let's go," she said.

Parker was quiet the whole way back and Jarod didn't know what to say to her. He was trying to figure out what her motive for the kiss had been.

"Are you coming in?" she asked.

"I…don't think I should," he said cautiously.

"Please, just for coffee?"

He gave in; reminding himself that she was drunk.

"Two sugars, black," Parker said once they were inside.

"I must make the coffee too?"

She nodded, pulling off her shoes and sinking into the couch.

"Whatever sobers you up," he muttered under his breath.

Parker stared at the ceiling, amazed at what a great evening she'd had. While going to dinner with Jarod was honestly the last thing she'd expected - although admittedly not the last thing she wanted - she knew that it was a twist of fate, laughing at her, taunting her with what her life could have been like.

Maybe it's time I played things differently she mused. Mama, what do you think I should do?

"I think you should go to bed after your coffee," Jarod said, taking a seat on the opposite couch.

"What?"

"You look exhausted."

"Mmm, I am. Too much time spent chasing after you."

"You don't have to chase me," he said quietly.

"What?"

"Nothing. Never mind."

She shrugged. She had had a long day and sleep sounded good.

"Tuck me in?"

"Huh?"

"Please?" How many times have I said 'please' tonight? I must be going soft in my old age.

"Okay."

She took his hand as they walked to her bedroom and he stood nervously, looking at the floor when she took off her jeans.

"Umm, Parker-"

"Shh."

She pulled him into bed with her, kissing him and sliding her hands across his back. He couldn't help but respond. He had been waiting for this for what felt like forever. She slid her hands lower and began unbuckling his jeans.

He sat up.

"What? What's wrong?"

"Parker, we really shouldn't-"

"Rubbish. I'm the birthday girl so I get to decide what we should or shouldn't do."

"Look, you've been drinking and I don't want you to do something you're going to regret when you wake up-"

"Ja-"

"I know you're mad at your father and that this is a great way to get back at him-"

"It's not about my father-"

"Just hear me out, Parker. I really care-"

"No, you hear me out. I want this-"

They both stopped.

"Sorry, you first," Jarod said.

"No, you."

"Okay. I just…I'm really sorry things turned out the way they did for us. As much as I would like to…spend the night with you, I don't want you to wake up tomorrow and wish you'd never done it. And if you're doing it to hurt your father, well…."

"This isn't about anyone other than you and me," Parker began. "I had a great time tonight and to be honest I'm glad my father cancelled."

Jarod smiled, not believing her.

"No, really. I am. I remember how much fun we had when we were kids and how much I miss that."

"I miss it too."

"You know, I had the biggest crush on you when we were kids," she admitted with a slight blush.

"Really?"

"Yeah, really."

"How come we stopped being friends? I mean, I know when you went to school we didn't get to see each other much but I thought we were still friends. So why is it that you're the one in charge of making me go back to the Centre?"

She didn't answer immediately and when she did, her voice was softer than usual.

"Remember we used to talk about running away from the Centre together? You, me and Timmy, and then just you and me? I guess somewhere deep inside I really wanted that. When you escaped I was so angry. You'd left me and you'd left Angelo and I hated you for that. I hated you for forgetting the promise we made to each other to never leave without each other. So when Daddy told me I was to lead the team, I agreed. I wanted to punish you for…for abandoning me."

"Oh, Parker, I'm sorry. I never realized-"

"But I couldn't hate you for long. When it became clear that you'd left to find your family I forgave you, even though it meant that I'd never be free. I couldn't let them know how I felt, though. You're doing so much good on the outside, Jar. You know, you should have escaped sooner."

Jarod was floored. He could hardly believe what he was hearing. All he could do was pull her towards him and whisper the words that had always been in his heart.

"I love you."

She smiled, tears in her eyes. She looked up at him and tilted his chin so that she could kiss him.

"If I asked you now to run away with me, what would you say?" he asked.

"I…I don't know. Why, are you asking?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I am."

"Can I tell you tomorrow?"

"Sure."

"Okay. Would it be okay if you just held me tonight?"

*

Jarod woke up with Parker in his arms and smiled. He couldn't believe that what he'd waited so long for was finally happening.

Parker stirred slightly and groaned.

"Unh…bright light."

"Yeah, it's called sunshine."

Someone's in a good mood this morning.

She pulled the blanket over her head mumbling, "Coffee."

Jarod slipped out of bed and padded off in the direction of the kitchen. Parker's phone rang and she sat up, cursing as she tried to locate it.

"What?"

"Miss Parker, I was just wondering if everything was okay-"

"Everything's fine, Syd. Why are you calling?"

"Well, it's 10h30. Are you coming to work today?"

10h30? How long was I asleep?

"Oh, uh, no. I'm not."

"Are you sure everything's-"

"Fine. Everything's fine. Any leads on Jarod?"

"No, I'm afraid not."

"If you get a lead, call. Otherwise, regardless of earthquakes, nuclear war or Armageddon, I'm taking the day off."

"Oh, alright."

"Nice," Jarod said, handing her a mug and crawling back into bed. "Who was that?"

"Syd, wanting to know why I was late for work."

"What did you say?"

"Not much. Just that the Centre's prize Pretender was in my bed and I'll be too busy having my wicked way with him to be in today."

"Really? And did you mention that he'd be busy having his wicked way with you?"

She grinned and put the mug down.

"I didn't realize that was also in the plan," she said in a husky voice.

"Oh, it is."

"Good. And by the way, yes."

"Yes to what?"

"To the question you asked last night, genius."

*

"Where will we go?" Parker asked later.

"Anywhere you want."

"I hear Rio's nice this time of year."

"Okay. Rio it is."

"What about your family?" He'll never stop looking. And as long as he's looking we'll never be free.

He surprised her by saying, "They can't wait to meet you."

"You found them? That's wonderful! How? When?"

"It's a long story. I'll tell you later."

"It's over, then." We're free!

"They'll never stop looking for us, you know."

"Yeah, but they'll never find us."

"When would you like to leave?"

Parker's phone rang again, interrupting them.

"This better be good," she threatened.

"Broots has traced Jarod to a motel right here in Blue Cove."

She sat up, heart pounding. "Where?"

Sydney gave her the address and she told him she meet them there and that they were not to do anything until she arrived. Hanging up, she turned to Jarod.

"I think now's a good time to leave."

*

En route to the airport, Parker told Jarod what Sydney had said. He smiled.

"There's nothing for them to find. It's just a little goodbye gesture."

"Tell me, what would you have done if I'd said I wasn't going to come with you?"

"I knew you would," he said simply and confidently.

Of course you did. You know me better than I know myself.

They were silent the rest of the way, Parker's hand resting gently on Jarod's thigh. Both were lost in thought, happy together, trying to get used to the idea of a life without the Centre.

*

A week later….

"Right everyone, photo time!" Emily called.

Jarod gestured for Parker to join them but she shook her head, insisting that she be the one to take the photo. She looked at Jarod's family and smiled. They were all there: Charles, Margaret, Emily, Jarod and even JJ, Jarod's clone. Only Kyle was missing. After a lifetime apart their family bond was stronger than ever and Parker wished that she had had a family like this.

Oh, Mama, I miss you. How'd we get stuck with Daddy and Lyle?

"Parker, it's your turn now," Emily insisted.

Jarod pulled Parker onto his lap and she reveled in his closeness. Leaning her cheek against his forehead she suddenly realized that she had never been happier.

Emily moved on, snapping pictures of the other members of the family and Parker turned to Jarod.

"The Centre did one thing right. They brought us together…I love you."

It was the first time she had said the words out loud and he smiled.

"I need to ask you something."

He hesitated and she used the moment to kiss him.

"What?"

"Marry me?"

She kissed him again, laughing and crying at the same time.

"Okay, if you insist."

"I insist."

"Lunch is ready!" Margaret called and Jarod and Parker walked inside, hand in hand.

"Mom, Dad, we've got something to say."

*

A few weeks later….

"Syd, you've got mail," Broots said, handing him a package.

He opened it and pulled out a photograph of Jarod and Miss Parker, looking very happy. He smiled wistfully, wishing he had been there to share that moment with them and wishing he knew how they'd finally ended up together.

Broots stared in surprise at the image.

"H-how did that happen?" he sputtered. "Is there a note? Do you want me to check if it's real or digitally altered?"

Sydney turned the picture over and saw Jarod's handwriting.

Hello, Syd. Hope you haven't been worrying about us too much. Parker and I finally found what we were looking for and we thought we should let you know that things are going well for us. We were married yesterday and last week she told me we're expecting a child of our own. Even though you're not with us, we'd be honored to have you as our child's godfather. Keep well, my friend. I doubt we'll meet again. Jarod.

Sydney smiled and wiped away a tear.

"Well, Broots, it looks like it's just you and me now."

~*~

THE END