Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don't own the Pretender or its characters and I'm not doing this to gain any money, I promise. This is purely for fun and no infringement is intended. So please don't sue me.

This was written in response to another picture challenge by Mickey (the one with Jarod looking all moody and handsome…mmm….). This is also my first POV story so please be kind with the feedback. Enjoy!
-Mel



Life's little surprises


For the thousandth time I'm wondering what I'm doing here. Part of me wants her to look out of the window and see me, wants her to know I'm here, but the other part is petrified that if she does see me she'll call in a sweeper team. What I should do is leave. I should get in my car and drive away and never look back. Should leave everything behind me and start a new life. And do my best to forget everything.

But I can't.

So I sit and wait and watch.

She's still the most beautiful creature I've ever seen. In all my time on the outside I've seen plenty of beautiful things and met a lot of women who could possibly make me happy. Nia. Zoe. But they fall short in every way when I compare them to her.

Maybe it's because I know her so well that I know her beauty isn't only skin deep. Many people think that it is. They see her Ice Princess act and think that she really is a cold, heartless bitch. But I know. I know that she's still the little girl who was my best friend in a place where love and friendship were frowned on. She's the girl who gave me my first kiss, and shared the secret of her first name with me. The girl who lost her mother and came to me for the comfort that her father should have given her.

The woman who still seeks her father's approval and affection, even to the point where everything else in her life comes second.

My friend.

My huntress.

My love.

I wonder if she knows. I wonder if it would even make a difference.

She's at the window, speaking to someone on the phone. She's not wearing her usual clothing. I like her when she dresses casually like this. I laugh sadly, if only a change of clothes could solve all our problems.

She's laughing - she's even more beautiful when she smiles, I can hardly believe that's possible but it is - and I feel a slight pang of jealousy. Is it another man on the phone? No, no, it's not. She's still hurting over Thomas' death.

He was my friend too and yes, I was jealous but I wanted her to be happy. And he did make her happy. I wonder if I really would have been able to let her go. At the time I thought I could, but then…why am I sitting out here?

I love her.

It shouldn't be possible. Sydney once said to me that Pretenders are incapable of falling in love. Yet he lied to me about so many other things. I know how I feel. How I've always felt.

Love.

Something only she showed me at the Centre. She gave me no conditions, asked for nothing in return except that I be her friend.

I find myself wishing, not for the first time, that our lives had been different. In a perfect world we would probably be married by now and have a family of our own. What I wouldn't give for that.

I wonder if she knows I'm here. I'm in plain view and making no attempt to hide myself. She hasn't looked in this direction though, and there are no sweepers here yet.

I want nothing more than to barge into her house, tell her I love her and convince her to come away with me. I have a house waiting and new identities in place. But I know I'm just dreaming. It's the blessing (or is it a curse?) of having a strong imagination.

If I do go in there she's most likely to handcuff me and drag me back to the hellhole we grew up in. I know, I SIM'd it.

Another curse.

Sometimes I wish I was ordinary, that I didn't have this gene that made me special. But then I think of all the people I've helped since I escaped and I know I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's almost time for me to go. I wish I didn't have to. If I could, I would spend every day just looking at her. I know I would never tire of it.

"What?"

She answers the way she usually does but her tone lacks the usual venom.

"Hello, Miss Parker."

"It's a little early for you to call, Jarod. I'm not even in bed yet."

Is she teasing me? Lately it's become so much harder to tell. I haven't shared this thought with Sydney yet. I don't think I'm going to. I need to work this one out myself.

"I can see."

"What?! Where are you?"

She rushes to the window and looks out. I wave, grinning like an idiot, I'm sure. I don't know why I'm still here. Any minute now, I'll get in my car and drive away. Any minute now.

She waves at me, smiling back. I'm still here. Why?

"So, do you want to come in for coffee?"

Well, that was certainly a surprise. I'm lost for words. Surely this is a trap.

"Uh, umm…." I sputter, inwardly cursing myself for acting like a fool.

"Look, I promise I won't shoot you or anything. I've been thinking about…well, everything and there's something I want to talk about."

She's so full of surprises today and I hear her laugh as I get up. I don't remember when last I heard her laugh. I love it, it's a warm, throaty laugh, and so very inviting.

I'm smiling by the time she opens the door for me, suddenly remembering that there was more than one possible outcome for my SIM.

Life, after all, is full of surprises.

***

So? Love it J ? Hate it L ? It's all the same to me. Okay, not really. I'd prefer that you like it. Please let me know what you think. The voices in my head get very upset when they don't get any feedback.