Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Please read the two Madeline Series stories first, as this won't make sense without them.  http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=1147

Also, you could read the Cassandra series, which is referenced in this version.  http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=5502

:)


Disclaimer: Covering every possible area here:

1) Thanks to NBC, Craig, and Steve for making these wonderful characters for us to play with, and like everyone else, I hereby promise to return them safe and sound to their rightful owners when I'm done with them.

2) I thoroughly enjoy all Gymnastic events, especially the recent US Gymnastics Championships, and I mean no harm to them (or me!) in mentioning them here and in future parts... If you were actually in the Championships, please feel free to contact me, I would *love* your input about that part of the story;

and 3) I also send my love to everyone at school, and hope no one minds that I mention them here, because no harm is intended!

Author's Note: Due to lack of time, I unfortunately have to skip quite a big time frame between parts 2 and three in order to take this version where I want it to go, so it is rather condensed and lacking in information...

This whole version hinges on the ending of "Donoterase", even though I'm 99.9% sure the real writers aren't taking the show in this direction. Madeline just forced me to explore this idea *g*. But it does have season three finale spoilers! There are also bits and pieces from everywhere- all seasons, Rebeckah and my fics, and my brain! Hope it's not too jumbled. LOL





Loyalties

by Danielle : - )

9-10-99
Revised 4-23-01

Version II Part 3 of the Madeline Series

~~~~~
~~~~~
The Day of the Father Exchange

"Madeline!" Jackie called to the graceful 18 year old who was easily maneuvering her tall form all over the floor exercise mat.

Madeline had just graduated from Blue Cove High- second in her class. At the end of the summer she was going to move to school in New Hampshire. She had fallen in love with the small Catholic college at first sight. The only problem was it didn't have a gymnastics team period- much less one competing at the collegiate level.

That was almost more important to Madeline than the fact that the school had an excellent education program. Madeline had talked to Jackie, though, and found out that her longtime coach had actually been thinking about coaching at the collegiate level.

They decided to talk to the people at the College and got permission to start a team at the college. They immediately hired Jackie as the head coach. Her only child, Jon, was leaving for college soon as well, so there was no problem with her moving to New Hampshire.

For now, though, Madeline was practicing at least five or six hours a day for the US Gymnastics Championships- which were fast approaching.

When she heard her name, she finished up the last few moves of her floor routine and jogged over to her coach.

When she saw the stern man in a black suit waiting impatiently by Jackie's side, she slowed to a walk.

"Hi Sam." Madeline greeted the Sweeper cautiously.

"You need to come with me, Madeline." He said.

'Is it just my imagination?' Madeline thought, 'Or is he more somber than usual?'

"I'm kinda busy..." She protested.

"I'm afraid you don't have a choice. You need to come to the Centre with me now."

Madeline immediately felt sick to her stomach, because this could not be a good thing.

"Madeline?" Jackie queried worriedly, "Are you okay going with him?"

"Yeah... Yeah." Madeline nodded, "Let me just get dressed." She ran to the locker room and came back out a minute later dressed in jeans and an oversized light blue College shirt hastily thrown over her workout clothes.

She threw a quick glance at Jackie, and managed an unconvincing 'I'm ok.' smile.

Madeline hurried to Sam's side as he rushed to his Centre-issue black car, asking, "What's wrong?"

"Mr. Parker will tell you when we get to the Centre." He stated impassively, refusing to look at her.

"Sam!" She pleaded as he sped out of the parking lot.

"I can't tell you anything, Madeline. I'm sorry."

He meant it, too; Sam the Sweeper simply wished that the tragic event had never taken place because the news was going to hurt the kid a lot. Madeline was a good kid who had been hurt way too much. He had heard rumors about how she lost her own family and what her step-father had done to her, and knew how grief stricken she had been when Cassandra had died. Sure, her heart might have been a little too big and her curiosity too strong for someone connected to the Centre, but she didn't deserve what life had and was about to hand her.

Madeline spent the whole drive praying that no one she loved had been hurt. She also prayed for the people she didn't love, and that this was because of her little trip to SL-27 the other night. Anything but bad news. She'd lost too many loved ones already to lose another. She even went so far as to beg God that if everyone could be okay, she'd gladly pay the consequences for her trips to SL-27.

"Where?" She asked as they half-ran through the Centre's front doors.

"Mr. Parker's office." Sam replied and had to hurry as the athletic teenager quickened her pace.

Madeline entered the office and found out she was capable of feeling more sick to her stomach as she realized who was there.

Mr. Parker, looking older than when she had seen him last week, sat in his chair, his shoulders hunched. Brigitte was next to him, her hand resting lightly on his shoulder, for once lollipop free. Lyle was on his father's other side, looking somber. Sydney and Broots sat in chairs with heads and shoulders bent. Mr. Raines was off to one side, alternating between looking pleased and annoyed, and surrounded by three hulking Sweepers.

Madeline felt her heart stop for a second when she realized Miss Parker wasn't there.

"Where's Miss Parker?" She asked, trying, but failing, to keep the tremor out of her voice.

Mr. Parker got up from his chair and moved to stand next to her. He looked decades older than when she had seen him last week. Madeline didn't take her eyes off his drawn features as she tried to understand what was happening, and praying it wasn't what she thought.

"She was shot in the back today." Everyone watched quietly as her eyes widened in fear.

"How?" She whispered tearfully.

"That's not important." He said, but she didn't miss the hateful glare he shot Raines.

"Where is she?" Madeline made herself ask, even though part of her didn't want the answer.

"She's in the Centre Medical Wing." He answered.

She began to leave, but he grabbed her arm gently, "Wait... Madeline, she's not in good shape. My Angel's-" His voice faltered for a second, "My Angel is dying."

"No!" Madeline moaned in disbelief, "No, she isn't! She can't!" She cried as tears started to roll down her face.

"She is, Madeline. Probably tonight."

"I want to see her." Madeline didn't want to- couldn't- believe his words.

"Of course." Mr. Parker said. He put his arm around her shoulders and led her out of the room, forgetting his dislike for her as they shared their grief.