Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

This story is the sequel to Awakeningsmegaman donwload

Cumberland, Kentucky
6pm


Jarod and Miss Parker ended up in Kentucky after driving for two and a half days. Jarod felt it was about time that they took a break and decide where they were going to end up before they began their journey again. Jarod also had a pretend in this particular town he wanted to pursue. He didn’t tell Parker that.

"Why should we stop now?" Miss Parker was opposed to the idea.

"We need rest," Jarod answered.

"That doesn’t mean we need to stop for more than a night."

"No, Parker, we really need to rest. And decide where we go from here. It would be smartest to leave the country."

Miss Parker sighed. "I don’t want to stop," she said quietly, then just stared out the window until Jarod found a place for them to stay.

Before he went in to the hotel, he turned to Miss Parker. The past two nights they had had separate rooms, but on the last night, Parker had said the next time they might as well just get one room. There was no sense in wasting the money.

"Are you sure you don’t mind sharing a room?"

"No. Just as long as there are two beds. Otherwise someone is sleeping on the floor," she said, indicating Jarod.

Jarod flashed her a smile, then went into the hotel. When he returned with the key, he found Miss Parker sitting on a large boulder-like rock positioned on a patch of green grass between the main road- a highway, and the parking lot. Silently, he approached her.

"Sometimes I wish I had not given up smoking." She sensed he was there.

"It’s better to wish than to give in to the desire," he assured her. "After we put our things in the room, we can go for a walk, if you’d like."

Miss Parker looked up at him, stared for a moment directly into his eyes, then nodded her head. She got up and followed him to the Blazer to help him with their things.

Jarod, like always, had planned everything so well. Before he had rescued her from the Centre, he had gone to her house and packed a few clothes, along with some necessities- like her toothbrush. Of course, he always carried his things with him. The one thing she had yet to see was the DSA case. She didn’t bother to ask what he had done with it- she didn’t really care. As long as she had her secrets from him, she thought he might as well be allowed his from her.

Their walk, very much like the two days driving, was filled mostly with silence. They did not share much, though Jarod insisted on holding her hand as they walked through unknown neighborhoods. It touched Miss Parker that he cared enough to be protective of her. It reminded her of what she always thought an older brother should be of his sister. She felt comforted; just through the feeling of his warm, soft hand clasped around her own.

The silence, their silence, was never awkward. In fact, Miss Parker found it very peaceful. She was glad that Jarod didn’t pry- asking her questions she didn’t want to answer. And because of that, she didn’t pry either- though she had a million questions. The right moment just didn’t seem to have shown itself yet. Miss Parker was not about to push anything. For the first time in her life, she felt content.

Once back at the hotel, Jarod said that there were some things he needed to do, so he had to leave her for awhile. He gave her some money incase she wanted to buy herself some food.

"I’ll be back later tonight. Please don’t be out after dark."

"Yes Daddy," she mocked his concern, disappointed that he was going to leave her alone. Was it for a pretend? She didn’t want to be alone. She hadn’t been alone since Jarod had rescued her from a lonely room in the Centre. However, she did not ask him to stay. When he asked her if she would be all right, she waved him away.

"I’m a big girl. I can take care of myself."

Jarod’s mind was preoccupied with the pretend he was about to embark on; he missed her silent plea for him to stay.

Just minutes after he left, Miss Parker was pacing the room, trying to figure what to do with herself. The first thing that came to mind was "shower." So, without another thought, she headed to the bathroom, hoping to relax a bit under the rushing water.

After her shower, she felt a little better and decided to check out the shops that were within walking distance of the hotel. Jarod had not given her enough money to buy any clothes, but she could still look. She loved shopping for clothes, but with work at the Centre, everything had to be catalog-ordered. Now she had plenty of time on her hands.

The first shop she saw was an elegant dress store. Stepping inside, she looked around. Picking out different dresses she liked, she tried each of them on and decided her favorite was a maroon colored dress with a full satin skirt that came to a fitted top- one that fir her perfectly- and was held up by two thin spaghetti straps. Too bad she would never have any reason to wear it. Even the sales clerk found her astounding when she stepped out of the dressing room to take advantage of the three-way mirror.

When she left the dress store- depression started seeping into her soul. She was distracted with thoughts of all that she had lost- especially her mother and Sydney. She never sensed the man behind her until her pulled her into an alley with a cloth of chloroform over her mouth and nose. Just after panic registered in her mind, she was unconscious from the drug.

When Parker woke, she was lying in an alley in pain. She did not want to acknowledge what had just happened to her. A sick feeling overwhelmed her as she stood. Bending at the waist with her hand on a wall to keep her balance, her stomach surged. She needed to rid of the taste- she needed to forget. Staggering out of the alley, she straightened herself up, and went straight to the nearest bar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Elmhurst PD, Kentucky
6:45pm


Jarod had read an article in the paper he had picked up once they crossed the state line into Kentucky. There seemed to be a serial rapist lurking around a town twenty miles from the one he and Parker were staying in. His prey was mostly young- teenaged girls, anywhere from the age of fifteen to twenty-four. There had been six victims so far- all knocked out by the use of chloroform. He used condoms as not to leave any evidence behind. All the police had were a few different hairs. Too many to single out any one suspect, legally. Jarod was not so partial to following every law when it came to criminals such as this. At times he found himself crossing that fine line between legally right and wrong. He was not bound by law, as were the police. All he needed was a list of suspects and he would be able to find the perp. To accomplish this, he would become a cop for the moment.

Once Jarod singled out one man from the suspect list he obtained, he began to plan how he would get a confession out of him. Jarod was disgusted that the man had a wife and two kids. He had to inform the man’s wife of her husband’s "extracurricular" activities. Then perhaps she could help him get a confession.

Brown’s Residence
8pm

"Can I help you?" A woman in her early forties answered the door.

"Mrs. Brown?"

"Yes?"

"I’m a detective from the metropolitan police unit. I have some questions about your husband."

"Has he done something wrong? Is he all right?" Confusion and panic appeared in her eyes.

"May I step inside?"

The woman let Jarod in. He explained everything to her. She became outraged, the calm for a moment, then she cried hysterically and Jarod tried to comfort her.

"Would you help me get a confession?"

"Yes," she said through her tears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Jake Brown entered his room and called for his wife.

"Susan?" He wondered where she could be. Thereupon he heard a faint noise coming from the back room. Cautiously, he walked towards the source- unknowingly into Jarod’s trap.