Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Whiteout
Part 1
Miss Allison







Somewhere in Maine
January 8, 2002
8:00 A.M.

He was confident with the decision he made about starting a new pretend so soon after the events that occurred on the Island. Although he was still slightly unnerved by the newest information he….they had uncovered there, he decided that worrying about it all the time was not going to uncover more answers any quicker. So here he was in the beginning of another pretend. This time he found himself in Maine during the worst months of winter. He always enjoyed New England, the people, the countryside and the food, but he was not so partial to the sometimes-unpredictable weather that could often hit the area during this time of the year.

As he walked towards the old brick building, he wrapped his long coat around him more securely and looked up at the gray clouds that had formed above the town. He thought that they could imply the arrival of snow and then again they could just signify another cold and dismal day here. Since he arrived in this small town a couple of days ago he got the distinct impression that the weathermen in this area had no better idea of what the weather would be than the cows he had read about in the Farmer’s Almanac, a new discovery of his at the general store.

The shrill ring of the school bell tore Jarod out of his thoughts and he quickened his pace up the concrete stairs of the school and into the smell of old heat and leather boots, and the sounds of many students talking about everything they could before another day of class had to start. As he walked down the hallway towards the office he took in all of the sights and sounds of a place that was foreign to him. He cursed the Centre once again for all the small parts of a normal childhood they had taken from him. The only way he knew what school was like was from reading books and seeing pictures of them.

He had done his homework though and knew what to expect on this pretend. Therefore he was aware that as a new teacher he would have to report to the office to meet the principle and find out where his classroom was.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

King Elementary School
Somewhere in Maine
January 8, 2002
8:20 A.M.

“Good morning everyone, my name is Mr. Neil and I will be replacing your regular teacher Mr. Jacobson for a short time while he recuperates from his accident”.

The sixth grade class stared back at him and he could almost see the mischief in their eyes. Jarod may not have gone to a regular school, but he heard about how children tend to treat substitute teachers.

“Do you have any questions for me before we start with the lesson you left off with?”

They all sat there looking at each other, and some whispered back and forth what they did not want to say out loud to him. Finally one brave girl, who seemed to take the lead, asked the question they all wanted to know,

“Mr., where are you from?”

Jarod should have seen this one coming. Their town was so small that almost everyone knew everybody else and any new person would be picked out quickly. As he pondered what exactly to tell the children, he thought of how much the little girl reminded him of Miss Parker as a child; always the outspoken one, leading the way, and so innocent. Too bad they took that vibrant young girl and turned her into such a hard, vindictive and lonely woman. Yes, Miss Parker was lonely, he could tell. Under her hard shell, she was just as lonely as he was.

Bringing his thoughts back to the class Jarod decided to go for almost the truth to the children.

“Well, I come from many different places, but the place I spent the most time was Delaware. Do you know where that is?”

“Of course we do” one boy yelled out and all the others laughed.

Jarod smiled, “Very good, nice to see you pay attention in class”

Jarod glanced outside and realized that it had begun to snow pretty hard outside and he smiled more. He always liked to see the snow fall, it reminded him of how free he was now. The children soon noticed the snow as well and excitement ran throughout the class.

“Okay, okay, you’ve all seen snow before, this is New England isn’t it? Let’s start with the reading lesson that Mr. Jacobson left for me to teach you.”

A groan went through the class but all the students sat down and took out their reading books.


12:30 P.M.

Jarod came back from lunch to see his whole class in the room where the lunch monitor had dropped them off. Most of them were socializing and some were reading various volumes of Harry Potter books. He glanced out the window and realized that the snow just kept on falling and he wondered how any of them would be able to leave school at 3:00 when the bell rang. In the teacher’s lounge he had questioned a few of the teachers to see if they would let the children go early, but they all said that they were not allowed to let them out since most would go home to empty houses with no keys.

“Okay everyone, lunch time’s over, it’s time to start social studies now, so get out your textbooks and U.S. maps”

As Jarod talked to the class he walked towards the teacher’s desk to settle in for another lesson and when he got closer to it he saw a Superwoman Pez dispenser perched right on top of his teacher’s manual. Just as he started to ponder its strange appearance, considering no one here would know of his Pez fetish, he heard a familiar voice emanate from the back of the classroom.

“So Mr…..Neil, I guess it is, are you going to tell the children about all of the glorious states you have gotten to see in the past years? You have seen quite a few have you not?”

Jarod spun around to see Miss Parker strutting her high-healed boots and fur coat up one of the aisles of desks. All of the children turned to see the pretty lady with long legs and fire in her eyes and began whispering to each other about who she could be and how she knew their new teacher.

“Actually, I was going to teach them all about certain places, or one particular place in the U.S. to stay away from, if they want to lead a normal life that is”

As she reached the front of the room Jarod could see that Miss Parker was about ready to pull her weapon on him in the middle of the classroom. He looked at the belt of her pants, where he knew her gun was hiding, and then caught her eyes, pleading with her not to do this in front of the children. Luckily, somewhere inside of her there was still that caring child he knew and she stopped her hand that was partway to the back of her blouse and brought it back out.

“Well class, I think that right now its time for all of you to start reading you little books and time for Ja….I mean Mr. Neil to step out in the hall and talk to one of his old, dear friends that has traveled a long way to see him” Miss Parker told the children with a no nonsense tone in her voice that kept them all quiet in their seats.

“Miss Parker’s right, why don’t you all turn your books to page 78 and read about Alabama. When you’re done get in pairs and decide upon five facts about the state that you will share with the class when I get back”

Miss Parker escorted Jarod into the hallway where she made no waste of time in drawing her gun and sticking it into his back.

“This time there’s no place to go wonder boy. I have sweepers posted on every road out of this crap-hole of a town and besides you wouldn’t want to make a scene in front of all those impressionable kids in there would you?”

“It would be just like you to use children against me Parker. Sounds like something your father would have done.”

“Shut up Jarod. Don’t be a sore loser. I told you that it would be the same as always, you run, I chase. But it ends now. No more cross country traveling to capture your ass, no more stupid letters and packages and no more Centre. As soon as I bring you in I’m out of there and no sweeper team big enough will be able to get me back”.

Just as she finished the last words the whole school went entirely black. Screaming could be heard from all of the classrooms down the hall and Jarod took this opportunity to get in a better position. He spun around and wrestled the gun from Miss Parker’s stunned hands, holding it on her while he emptied all of its rounds into his pocket.

“Guns aren’t allowed on school property Miss Parker so I will just have to hold onto this until the end of the day”

Though his eyes had not yet adjusted to the dark hallway, he could feel the daggers emanating from Miss Parker’s eyes at the moment. Jarod slipped the gun into his pocket as Miss Parker steamed and he remembered his class sitting in the dark room.

When he entered the classroom all the children were out of control. Some were still screaming about the dark while others were running around and exclaiming how cool it was.

“Everybody needs to stop right now!” he said forcefully.

All the students turned to where Jarod stood in the doorway and the room became quiet. Just at that moment a flashlight was shone in his face and an office worker came in and told Jarod that he was to bring all of his students to the gym until they could find someone to get the generator up and running.

“Where’s the generator located?”

“I think it’s in the basement. Bob our regular janitor would know if he were here today but of course he’s out sick”

“Well how about if you take my class to the gym for me I will head to the basement to get that generator on”

So Jarod grabbed the man’s flashlight and went down the hallway to the door that the man said led to the basement. That’s when Jarod remembered Miss Parker was roaming the halls somewhere in the school.

“Where the hell did she go?” he thought as he headed back towards the main entrance to the building. As he rounded the corner that led to the main door he saw her standing with the door open and staring at the swirling snow outside. It was now a full-blown blizzard and you could not see anything beyond two feet outside of the door.
“Not thinking of going out in that mess are you Parker?”

When she didn’t return with a caustic remark of her own Jarod became concerned and approached her cautiously. As he got up beside her he expected the look on her face to be that of hatred and spite but instead he saw one of sadness and defeat. It even almost looked as if she could cry, almost.

“Well you win again wonder boy. This time not on any merit of your own but it seems as if even the weather is on your side. There’s no way I can get myself out of here, never mind Houdini himself. I was so close this time, why do I always fuck it up? Why can’t you just disappear for good and I can leave the center and try to lead a normal life?”

“Do you really believe that when or if I return to the Centre they will let you walk away? How can you trust people that continually screw you over? You could drag my dead corpse in there right now and they still wouldn’t let you leave. You belong to them and they know it”.

Miss Parker slammed the front door shut and brushed the snow off her coat, not happy with the truth that Jarod had just flung in her face.

Ignoring her anger Jarod went on, “But enough about the Centre, right now I have a job to do in order to get some lights back on in this place. You can either stay here and stare at the white-out or you can come help me find the generator”

“Oh, such choices. I can’t believe what my life has come to. Stare at a blank white world or follow super boy around in an old, dank basement. What the hell, lead the way.”


1:30 P.M.

Jarod’s flashlight bounced off the cobwebs in the stairwell as he opened the door that led to the basement.

“Oh God, I can’t believe I’m doing this.”

“You’re not afraid of some little spiders are you Miss Parker?”

“No jerk, its just that every dark hole in the floor reminds me of all the sub levels at the Centre where God knows what goes on”

“I promise you Mr. Raines isn’t around any corners in this basement”

“Ha, yeah but there could be a few of his furry rat kin down here”

Jarod laughed as they descended the basement steps. Miss Parker let go of the door and as it closed they heard it click as if it locked behind them. They both stopped where they were on the stairs for a second and then both scrambled for the door only to jiggle the handle to no avail.

“You have got to be kidding me!! Not only am I in the middle of nowhere cow town in a blizzard with you, but now we’re locked in a dark, damp basement with a dying flashlight, no food, breathable air or useable weapons!!”

“Pez?” Jarod stated as he held out the Wonder Woman Pez dispenser which Miss Parker had left on his desk.

“Uhhhhhh! I cannot deal with this! Just point that flashlight down so we can at least get off these wretched stairs and onto solid ground!”

When the pair reached the bottom of the stairs Jarod shined his flashlight around the basement to see what they were facing next. It looked as if the old school basement had not been cleaned out since the first World War.

“Look at all this crap. It looks like a PTA garage sale in here. How the hell are we going to find the damn generator under all this, we can barely even move around it all.”

“Hey Parker, I didn’t do all those simulations for nothing. When there’s a problem I can fix it.”

“Yeah right, fix my life. That would be the ultimate simulation. Maybe I’ll get Syd to make that the first one you do when you get back, before Raines gets his newly crafted fingers on you.”

“One question Parker”

“What?”

“Why not just leave it all behind? The man you’ve always known as your father is gone now, so who do you owe anything to?”

“Oh what and leave someone else to bring you in? You’ve always been my responsibility, I’ve been trained to hate you and hunt you and I won’t leave it behind until you’re back at the Centre”

“But have you ever asked yourself why? Why are you supposed to hate me and track me down all the time? If you remember right, we used to be friends and now they use that against us to keep us both as captive at the Centre as we were as children. Why can’t you just let someone else take over the hunt, like that bastard brother of yours Lyle? I’m sure he’d do a fine job hunting me down”.

“So, I leave the Centre, then what? Ride off into the sunset with no job, no ties, no friends? I’ll admit that you were right before when you said that the Centre owns me, and I don’t think I know how to live outside its walls.”

Miss Parker gave in to her feelings of defeat from before and sunk into an old, dusty teacher’s chair in the corner of the basement.

“Ah, Jarod, you must love seeing me this way; your enemy stricken with defeat. Go on make some snide comment, this day can’t get any worse anyway.”

Jarod felt sorry for Miss Parker and wanted to comfort her, but besides the pity he felt he also had the stirring inside of the things that he has always felt for her since they were young. These feelings always get pushed aside because he knows that he will always run and she will always chase, but at times like this he can’t help but let the feelings take over for a while.

“Yeah sort of like they did on the island last month” he thought to himself. They were so close to crossing the line where she might let him into the steel fortress she has built up around herself. He thinks it’s her defense mechanism against everything that has happened to her at the Centre and really he doesn’t blame her, but he wishes that she would at least recognize what could be between them.

“The truth is Parker”, Jarod started as he came up beside her, “I don’t think of you as my enemy, always, and I don’t enjoy seeing you in pain either”.

“You’re so strange sometimes Jarod. I chase and chase you, push guns in your face, I’ve even shot at you on numerous occasions and still you don’t consider me your enemy. Sometimes you take this wonder boy thing way too far”.

Jarod kneeled in front of Miss Parker and put his hand on her knee to comfort her. At first he thought she was going to pull away but then something changed in her eyes.

“I know it’s crazy but some things are worth fighting for and one of those things is your trust and friendship. You were the only friend I ever had for a long time at the Centre and they took you away from me. I know its not your fault that you hunt me down and pull guns on me. I also know that you’re a better shot than you lead on and that if you really wanted to hit me I would have been dead and buried in the Centre basement by now.”

“Nothing gets by you does it?”

Jarod looked up right into Miss Parker’s eyes and held her there,

“You do”.