The Arabian Phoenix by Stefi
Summary: Read it!
Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: All the characters
Genres: Action/Adventure
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 23433 Read: 15158 Published: 08/05/05 Updated: 15/05/05

1. 1 by Stefi

2. 2 by Stefi

3. 3 by Stefi

4. 4 by Stefi

5. 5 by Stefi

1 by Stefi
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Thanks to Ra-chell! Her story 'Fire' gave me the idea for this one of mine.

THE ARABIAN PHOENIX part 1
By Stefi


Sydney's home

Sydney was lying in bed, sleeping in the middle of the night when the phone rang beside him, jerking him out of his sleep. The old man reached over to the beside table and felt around blindly for the lamp before switching it on and successfully blinding himself with the light. While Sydney's eyes were recovering from the light, he grabbed the ringing phone.
"This is Sydney."
"How are you, Syd?" Jarod's voice was always a joy to the shrink's ears, even if it was past midnight.
"Jarod! I was beginning to worry." Sydney said.
"And why? You know I can take care of myself, The Centre will never get its hands on me!" Jarod said a matter-of-factly.
Sydney smiled lightly. At least Jarod was in a good mood.
"Have you heard about Parker's house? It's all burned."
"How is she going?" Jarod asked gently.
"Oh, she wasn't at home. But everything was burnt. Gone. It wasn't possible to save anything." Sydney said sadly.
"You didn't answer me, Syd. How is she doing?" Jarod asked again.
Sydney still had in his mind Parker's eyes, blank and emotionless.
"Not good. Her home was.. everything, to her. The place where she grew up. It was full of memories for her, of her mother, Thomas. You know that as much as anyone."
Jarod knew it and feared the moment Parker would have reacted to her loss.
"Sydney. How is she doing?" He asked for the third time.
Sydney sighed, his protégé wasn't going to let it go. "On the outside, she's in her usual self.. "
"But.. ?" Jarod asked. He knew there was more to it than that.
"But every time I look at her, I feel like.. like I was unable to help her. She doesn't talk, you know her, she doesn't ask for help, but in a certain way, I always managed to reach her. This time, this time I failed. This time she keeps me away from her mind and I don't know what to do." This was likely the longest speech Sydney had ever made.
Jarod felt all his sorrow, through the phone and tried to comfort his mentor. "Never stop trying, Syd, she needs you, now more than ever."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre.
Same Time.

Parker sat on the floor, a glass in her hand. Drinking wasn't the best thing to do. She felt dull and upset. Her gaze slid from the window to her desk, the computer on it, the filing-cabinets at her side..
Parker had always hated that place, but she didn't have anywhere else she could go. Not anymore.
"Why did they burn my house?" She asked herself. But she knew well the answer: the Centre wanted her focused on Jarod. The Centre thought she was too distracted with things that weren't her concern, like her mother's death.
Why she felt such need to dig around and find the truth? And Thomas? Why bothering to find his murderer?
Her job was to capture Jarod, and nothing else. Parker was the best, always has been. As long as she left her feelings out of it. Feelings are weakness and The Centre took great care in avoiding any weaknesses.
Her mother was weak, and Parker was weak too, because of her mother. No problem. Her mother vanished.
Thomas was another weakness, Parker thought even to leave, for him. No problem. Thomas was gone.
Her house, her home. All she had to tie her to her past, to her mother, to Tommy, to what she used to be. No problem. Her house was burnt down to ashes.
No more weaknesses. No more ties.
After all, they were right. Parker felt like she was drifting away, without anything and anybody to hold on. She could only rely on herself. There wasn't anything left.
The moonlight was reflected in the pictures on her desk. Her mother. Her father. Parker took the photos off the desk and stared at her mother's picture. She felt nothing inside as she looked at the picture.
No more ties. They made it. They took away her soul.
"No feelings, no weakness. Now I know what I have to do." Parker put out the pictures from the frames and ripped them.
"Daughter hurts.. " She didn't realize Angelo's closeness till he made his voice heard. Parker looked in his eyes and stayed silent. The strange man took the pictures' pieces slowly out of her hand and stared at his old friend "Daughter can heal.. "
"No, Angelo." She whispered. "Daughter is gone, like Mommy."
Angelo began to softly cry. "No! Daughter still here.. Mommy still here.. inside you.. " He said and held the torn pieces together, frightened from what he felt and saw in her heart.
"You're wrong, Angelo. She's gone. I try to find her but.. she's gone, Angelo." Parker turned her look away. "She's gone."
Angelo shook his head "No, Daughter, don't go.. " He cried and tried to touch her but he felt she wasn't reachable anymore "Don't go, stay Daughter, stay."
Parker didn't listen; Angelo's despair didn't touch her.
In the empty space of her mind, she saw the right thing to do and there wasn't any room for feelings.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre.
The Next Morning.

The next morning Sydney went at work as usual, trying to ignore his own disease. Those days weren't so happy, not that it was possible to be happy, in The Centre. But to face Parker was getting harder and harder. He felt useless and.. scared? Scared of a woman he knew since years! Sydney felt almost guilty for such feelings. But he couldn't help them because they were what he felt.
"Maybe today she will talk to me." He sighed as the elevator ran down to the SL-5. Just as Sydney stepped out of the elevator he saw Parker coming out of the tech room.
"Good morning, Miss Parker." Sydney said to her warmly.
Her gaze slid on him, "Sydney." She answered, with a light nod, but without stopping. Sydney noticed her clothes, the same ones she wore the day before, her eyes, black-ringed for loss of sleep.
"But Miss Parker.. you didn't sleep here, did you? Why didn't you go home?"
Parker pressed the button to call the elevator.
"I haven't a home anymore, remember?" She said with a voice lacking emotion.
"I thought your brother would have given you hospitality."
Parker smiled, but he didn't know why that smile sent a shiver down Sydney's spine.
"Yeah, my dear brother! And you thought I would accept?"
The elevator's doors closed, taking the woman from Sydney's sight. The shrink went in the tech room only to find Broots typing frantically on his keyboard.
"Good morning, Broots."
The tech jumped on his seat "My God, Sydney! Don't do that to me!" The nervous tech yelped when he finally returned to his seat.
"I only said 'good morning'" Syd stared at his friend. He looked more nervous than ever. And scared. Him too.
Welcome to the club!
"She asked you to do something, right?" Syd tried to talk calmly, but failed.
Broots had a strange laugh "Asked? Why, Sydney! She does NOT ask! She orders!"
Sydney nodded, his friend had a fair point. "And what did she order you to do?"
"To find everything about Jarod and give it to her. All files and DSA's. Everything!"
Sydney stared Broots. "Everything?!"
"Everything!"
"But.. but that's a sea of files!"
"Don't tell me that! Tell her!"


Sydney stroked his chin in thought "And what does she want to do with them? Did you ask her?"
"Do I look like I have a death wish?"
"No, of course, my friend. It's difficult talking to Parker, these days."
Broots nodded "Yeah, she's not herself. I feel sorry for her, her house, I can imagine how she feels but.. Sydney, you've seen her, she seems.. another person!" the poor geek tried to explain himself "She scares me. I know, I'm a rabbit, but I never thought before for a second that Parker would be.. dangerous, like Mr.. Parker or Raines. This time I.. I think so."
Sydney patted on Broots shoulder "I know, I know. I feel the same. I don't like to say this, but the truth is that Parker is capable of everything."
"This isn't like when Thomas died." added Broots "She suffered awfully, then. But this time, I don't understand, Syd, it's like there's no life anymore inside her."
"Daughter gone." a whisper came from behind them.
Sydney and Broots turned to see Angelo in a corner, his hands pressed on his chest, his eyes shining from tears.
The two men exchanged looks, then slowly they approached the Empath.
"What's happened, Angelo? Why are you crying?" asked Sydney with sweetness.
"Daughter gone." Angelo repeated.
"What have you there?" the tech asked, seeing something in Angelo's hands.
"Would you let me see, Angelo?" Sydney held out his hand and took what it seemed a picture, ripped and stuck together again. Again, the two men exchanged looks, both astonished.
"But it's.. " Broots gasped and Sydney, nodding, completed "Catherine Parker's picture, yes, that one Parker always kept on her desk."
The elder man addressed Angelo "Listen Angelo, did you rip this picture?" He knew well Angelo didn't do it, but Syd tried anyway to find another explanation that wasn't the one he feared the most.
Angelo shook his head and took the picture, caressing it.
"No more Daughter. No more Daughter." he whispered, choking and sniffing.
Broots looked Sydney with fear in his eyes "Syd, what it means? No more daughter? He means.. he doesn't mean.. like Timmy, right?"
Poor Broots wanted to be reassured, but when Sydney looked up to him, the tech saw his same fear.
"He means that Parker is lost. We can't help her anymore."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Meanwhile, in Memphis

Jarod was ready to leave but chose to wait another day, it was still safe for him. He was thinking about Parker, he couldn't avoid it. Even if he never had a home, Jarod understood very well how it hurt to lose it. He wanted to talk to Parker, tell her how he was sorry, but she didn't answer the phone, and that worried him. That and what Syd said last time they talked.
"My God, they took everything away from her!" He sighed sadly. "Now what will happen?"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

At the Centre

Parker was at her desk, reading and studying files, when her office doors opened.
"I didn't hear knocking." She said, without even looking up.
"Well, Angel, I thought to be always welcome in here" answered the voice of Mr Parker "and not needing permission to come and see my own daughter."
His daughter put her gaze on him, but nothing in it said she was glad to see him.
"You, maybe, can feel yourself welcomed, but surely not those two!" She pointed with her chin at Lyle and Raines, who stood beside her father.
The elder Parker felt the unusual need to justify himself.
"We wanted only see if you were.. okay, Angel."
"You saw me, now if you.. all of you" she corrected "leave me alone, I can do my job." And she went back to her files, without another look to her guests.
Mr Parker frowned lightly. Her daughter was always respectful toward him, and longing for his presence and attention. Now she seemed almost annoyed by him.
Lyle was glancing at his father, him too amazed, and amused, by Parker's attitude.
Raines made his voice heard for the first time stepping into the office
"When.. we see.. some good.. results, we'll.. leave you.. alone."
Parker lifted her head and stared her longtime enemy. In her eyes there was no hate or rage. Only an empty, blue look.
"You leave me alone, now." The tone was flat and absolutely non-threatening, and yet Raines took a step back. He was used to a Parker who hated him and hissed at him and threatened him, but not to this cold, inexpressive, DEAD woman.
"My Angel is right, Raines. How can she focus on her task, while we're all in her way? C'mon, let's go." Mr. Parker said and the trio left.
Outside of Parker's office, Lyle spoke for the first time.
"Dad, she looks.. not in her best shape."
Mr Parker shook his head. "What are you saying, Lyle? She looked really good to me, resolute and steady." He looked around them "It seems.. it has been a good idea.. " another look around ".. burning her house. Too many distractions, too many weaknesses! Now, she's again my little girl!" Mr. Parker smiled openly. "Resolute and steady!" He repeated.
Raines stared the elder man. "Do you think.. she can make it.. this time?"
"I'm sure!" Was Parker's statement. The two men went on to the elevator, as Lyle stayed slightly back. He wasn't persuaded by this stuff. Parker wasn't the same anymore, and this fact worried him.
Maybe burning her house had NOT been a good idea.
Maybe it had been the worst mistake they could have done.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Same Time.

Parker was again searching through folders, sheets and pictures, already forgetting about the visit from her father and the other two. She HAD to find Jarod!
A little voice, inside her, was still trying to make her settle down, but Parker wasn't listening. Everything had changed. Feelings had been her weakness for so many years..
"Where are you?" She whispered, staring an old Jarod's picture "Where are you, Wonderboy?"
The voice inside her heart became more and more faint, till it vanished.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre.
Later that Day.

"Bad mood, son?" Mr. Parker walked toward his own car in the parking lot, followed by Lyle. "Aren't you in a hurry to go home? It's been a long day."
"I was only thinking.. " answered the younger man ".. there's something wrong with her."
Mr. Parker made an amused face as he looked at his son "And since when do you worry about your sister?"
Lyle gave an annoyed gesture before responding.
"I'm not worried about her, but about US!" The puzzled look on his father's face made Lyle almost curse: how could be this man so stupid and blind? How could he not to be aware of the danger? "Dad," he tried again. "She isn't the Parker we used to know. She isn't the real Parker!"
"Wrong! That one" Mr. Parker pointed to the building where his daughter still inside. "That one IS the real Parker, A real Parker!" And with a pleased smile, the elder man got into his car and drove away.
Lyle stayed back, following the car with his gaze. Then, he looked back at the building, he had the feeling of an impending danger, but he didn't know why, and he didn't know how to make it understand to his father.
"Old fool!"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Memphis.

Jarod was ready to leave. He examined with care the room: everything was settled for Parker's arrive, the only thing left to do was the arrangement of the red notebook. Jarod had a special idea for it that surely would have made Parker really angry.
For a second, he thought he was going too far, but everything was better than seeing her so..
Jarod shook his head. Better to make her angry, forcing her to run after him, shouting and threatening to kill him. Maybe, this way, she could heal.
He put the red notebook in the 'special' place he had in his mind and left, turning off the lights.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Meanwhile at the Centre.

Sydney saw the light filtering through under the door. He didn't know what to do.
'Never stop trying' Jarod said to him. But what you can do when the one you want to help refuses even to talk?
Sydney sighed and knocked lightly on the door. No answer.
He knocked again, this time entering the office.
"Miss Parker?" He called gently. She was sitting at her desk, staring at an empty space.
God, she looked so pale and tired. So lonely.
"Miss Parker." Syd called again. Slowly, the woman turned her head, blinking like she were waking from a dream.
"What." she whispered with a hoarse voice.
"I'm going home, Miss Parker. If you wish, I could give you hospitality."
She didn't react but just stared at him.
The old Belgian felt despair growing inside (How can I reach you?) He thought.
"You need to rest, Parker. To sleep. And maybe.. we could talk a little."
(Let me help you, please, let me help you)
"I have a job to do." She said with a low voice "And no time for resting"
"I know this, but I know too you'll do better tomorrow, if you'll just rest tonight." Sydney kept his voice calm and sweet, even if he felt like grabbing her shoulders and shaking her to try and knock some sense into her.
"I have no time." She repeated and before her old friend could talk again, Parker said "Goodnight, Sydney."
Sydney.
The man felt a pang in his heart. Sydney. Not Syd. Not Freud, or Dr Strangelove or any other weird and, in some way, caring nick she used to call him. Sydney.
"Goodnight, Miss Parker." The man drew back to the door, hoping for more words from her that were reassuring. But Parker said nothing, and Sydney left.
"Good doctor.. sad." Angelo's voice was coming from the dark vent.
"I know, Angelo" Parker answered, her gaze still focused on the door "But I can't do it otherwise." She turned her head toward the vent "I have no other way out, do you understand that?"
For a moment she seemed again a woman, made of flesh and bone, life and pain passed through her eyes, as she almost pleaded "Tell me you understand, Angelo. I have no other way out!"
The savant nodded slowly, with sadness and resignation in his blue eyes: he understood, he knew.
"No way out.. Angelo knows.. she.. inside you.. no way.. out."
The old Parker vanished. The new one stared at the pictures on her desk, as her mind worked frantically on her plan.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Next Morning.

Blue sky, warm sun, and a light breeze. It wasn't enough to make Sydney feel better. He had had the worst night possible, and that morning he felt.. like a bad feeling.
As he waited for the elevator, Sydney heard voices from his right side: Mr Parker and his daughter, Lyle, Raines, Willie, Sam and some other sweepers, all of them talking and arguing.
"Right on time, Syd." Lyle called "We have a lead!"
"It's a set-up!" exclaimed Parker "He isn't in Memphis!"
"Broots has checked. He's there!"
"Broots has found another lead, too!"
"Too weak to consider it!"
"STOP!" Mr Parker boomed "Angel, why do you think it's a set-up?"
"By now, we should know that Jarod is never where he send us. The second lead, right because it's so unlikely, it could be the right one!"
Lyle smirked "How is that your knowledge about Jarod's Modus Operandi hasn't been of any use, until now?"
Parker gave him a freezing look "Maybe because, till now, I didn't know what I was doing."
Mr. Parker intervened and talked with authority "Lyle, you'll go to Memphis-"
"And I'll take the other lead!" completed Parker, ready to go.
"-and you'll go with him!!" ordered her father.
Parker stared at him "I said I'll take the other lead." She said with a tone that didn't allow objections "After all we have two leads and two teams, why wasting time? Sydney! Sam! Get ready!" After she had given her orders, she turned her back on them, to return to her office.
Lyle glanced Mr. Parker, who was following his daughter with his gaze.
"Dad.. " The younger man began.
"Leave! Go to Memphis and catch him!"
"Okay, Dad! Don't worry, I'll catch him!"
Mr Parker and Raines stayed there, looking at each other "Your.. daughter.. seems.. a little .. too.. rebellious"
"Rebellious! Don't exaggerate! She's always in conflict with Lyle!" Mr Parker faked an indifference he didn't feel.
"I don't.. like.. her.. attitude.. nor.. her words."
"You worry too much, Raines! I know how to handle her!"
"Even.. now?" Parker frowned from Raines words.
"Sure. Now, more than before"
"I hope.. so for.. all our.. sakes".

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Same Time.

Parker walked in the tech room and asked to Broots "Have you checked the second lead?"
"Yes, Miss Parker, but.. " The man shook his head ".. there's nothing more.. I mean.. I'm not sure.. " Broots stared his keyboard, waiting for a rage bursting, that didn't come.
He glanced his boss: she was reading his notes and looked almost.. satisfied? Why did she have a light smile on her face?
"I'm sorry.. " He added but Parker patted him on the back.
"Never mind, Broots, I didn't expect anything more."
The tech looked up, puzzled by her reaction, but he hadn't the time to ask explanations because of Sam who came in "We're ready, Miss Parker."
"Yeah, I'm coming. Lyle is gone, right?"
"Yes ma'am"
Parker stayed still for a moment, as a devilish smile appeared on her lips.
"Too bad, Lyle" She muttered "I'll won't be there to see you with your hands in the shit. Literally." She went out with Sam, totally unaware of Broots' eyes on her.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Memphis.

Lyle was staring at the building from the sedan.
"That one?" He asked to a sweeper.
"Yes Sir." Lyle nodded, checking the outskirts "Get ready." He ordered.
As his sweepers ran around the building, the Chairman's son had an opened grin: Jarod was in trap!

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, Miss Parker's office.

Broots knocked on the door, before entering. Then, remembering his boss was out, he went in, giving a look at his surroundings. It was stupid, but he felt so uncomfortable!
"Okay, don't act like a child." He warned himself "She's not even here!"
But he was nervous, so, putting on the desk his last reports, pictures and files slid down and fell all over the desk.
"Oh! Sorry!" The man blushed. Sorry to who? Broots sighed, why was he such a coward? He thought and began to pick up the sheets from the floor.
"What the hell did she want with all these pictures?" He muttered "And this one?" It seemed like a note, written in Miss Parker's calligraphy.
A few words that read were, 'Pink and green', underlined many times and then, 'Red notebook: Shit!'
Broots read again and again, but found no sense in those words. Pink and green?
Red notebook: shit?
The tech shook his head, Parker wasn't the kind of woman who took notes, just to waste time. If she had written those words, then they had some importance.
Hell! She underlined them!
Broots stared at the sheet, then he put it in his pants pocket. Why? He hadn't an answer, but.. he felt it was better doing so.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Somewhere else.

Parker stopped the car in an alley. Then, she checked her gun as Sydney gazed at her.
"Do you have any intention of using it?" He asked, worried.
"If I'll have to. C'mon, Sam!" They got out of the car and went inside the building.
No janitor. Good!
Parker took the stairs, with the other two following her to the second floor. She stopped and made sign to Syd and Sam to move silently. They approached the forth door, Sam on the right, Syd on the left and Parker in front of it.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Memphis.

Lyle waited some few seconds. His team was ready. He nodded and a sweeper kicked the door with strength. In a moment the room was full of men, their guns pointed on.. No one.
"Damn!" Muttered Lyle, entering the other room. Nothing. Or rather.. something. Something crazy! Lyle turned on himself, staring at the walls of the room.
"Lab Rat has got to be going mad!" He commented, addressing a sweeper who was stroking his head, him puzzled too.
"Mr. Lyle." Another one called from further inside the apartment "Come and have a look."
Lyle passed through the first room and then into the bathroom. He gave a look and sighed "How could my sister bear his tricks and games, for all these years?"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Somewhere else.

The door burst open and Jarod, who was lying on the bed, found himself surrounded by three people, two of them armed.
"Jarod." Was Parker's greeting, her gun firmly pointed on his face.
"How did you find me?" He asked, searching a way out.
Parker smiled coldly "A little bird told me. Ready to go home?"
He didn't like her smile. In a second, Jarod found the only way for him to run away. Syd was on the right side, between Jarod and the window.
The pretender jumped from the bed, pushing aside his mentor, but a gunshot broke the window into fragments. Jarod turned to look at his huntress, shocked.
"Parker!" Sydney yelled. "What are you doing?"
"What I have to do." She shouted back, pointing the gun again on her prey "Jarod, stay away from that window or I swear you'll be my next target!" she warned him.
"Parker." The shrink tried to distract her "The Centre wants him ALIVE!"
"The Centre wants him BACK!" She retorted "Dead or alive, there's no difference for me!"
Sydney took a step back, as if he had received a slap in the face. Even Sam stared at his boss with a shocked look.
Jarod shook his head, slowly. It couldn't be! She was bluffing! There was ALWAYS a difference, for her!
He made a move toward the broken window.
"Jarod." She talked with a low, calm, yet threatening voice "I swear I'll shoot you."
Sydney put himself between the two of them "You can't do it, Parker!"
"Out of my way, Sydney!"
"You can't do it." He repeated, moving with the gun's movements "Jarod, run!"
But Jarod didn't run. He stayed still, his gaze on Parker: this woman was not his old friend nor his huntress. This one was.. he didn't know her!
(God! What have they done to you?) He thought sickeningly. This woman before him had no feeling!
Syd turned his head to his protégé "For God's sake! What are you waiting for? Run!"
"If he runs, then he'll be dead!" Was Parker's reply.
"Then" The old man said "You'll have to shoot me, first."
Parker stared at him for few seconds; then, with a light shrug, she aimed her weapon on Sydney.
"As you wish." She said and her finger began to squeeze the trigger.
"No!" Jarod held up his hands "No, Parker. Okay, you won."
"Jarod.. " Syd tried to speak.
"Syd, she's serious, don't you see it?" Then he talked to Parker "I'll come with you. There's no need to shoot, okay?"
"Great idea, Wonderboy! Sam!" The sweeper, who had been there, without knowing what to do, grabbed Jarod's arms, but almost with kindness. He felt upset, and it wasn't easy upsetting a man like him, but today.. Sam took away the pretender, as the other two followed them.
In the street, Parker gave a look around: no one seemed having noticed them.
Sydney grabbed her arm "Parker!"
She looked at his hand, then his face "Do you mind?" she said, freeing her arm.
Sydney couldn't believe it! "You've really lost your soul!" he almost shouted.
"You're badly informed, Sydney. I've nothing to lose. Even less, a soul." She said to him, looking him dead in the eye before getting into the sedan on the driver's side.
The shrink chose to sit in the back, beside Jarod. They exchanged sad, worried looks, as Parker was driving all of them back to the Centre.

End of part 1

Feedback: ste.piro@inwind.it
2 by Stefi
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Thanks to Ra-chell! Her story 'Fire' gave me the idea for this one of mine.



THE ARABIAN PHOENIX part 2
By Stefi


The Centre, Mr Parker's office

"If you want my opinion, Jarod is going crazy!" Lyle paced back and forth in front of his father's desk, practically foaming at the mouth "The walls were ALL painted in pink and green! A pink that hurt the eyes and a green that was even worse!"
The younger man tried to calm himself down as Mr Parker looked at his son, stroking his own chin.
"And do you know where the red notebook was?" Lyle still fumed at the very thought "In the toilet. I mean, INSIDE it!"
"Jarod always plays these tricks of his," Mr Parker said "but I have to admit that this one was a bit much, even for him"
"I feel almost sorry for my sister" added Lyle "Only this time, it had to be ME to fish the note from the toilet!"
The office's door burst open and the two men turned to see Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney, Sam entering, a sea of sweepers around all of them.
"All done, dad!" Parker said to her father.
Mr Parker stood up from his chair, smiling "Oh Angel! I knew you could do it!"
"How did you find him?" asked Lyle, upset.
Parker gave him a disgusted look "I hate telling it but.. I told you so! Jarod is NEVER where he sends us"
"One could ask why on earth you didn't find him before, then!" Lyle replied.
"Stop arguing, you two!" Mr Parker cut them off "The only thing that matters is that the hunt is ended. Angel, I'm really proud of you!"
"Thanks, dad," said Parker flatly, her eyes still on her brother "You'll have my report ASAP" and she turned to leave as Lyle followed her with his gaze.
Jarod, too, stared Parker until he could see her, then his eyes looked down, refusing any contact with the others.
"Well," Mr Parker addressed Sam "put him in a maximum security cell and watch him carefully!"
"Yes sir," was the sweeper's sharp answer. The team moved to leave, and so did Sydney.
"Syd!" Mr Parker called "Where are you going?"
The answer of the shrink was even sharper than Sam's one "To check on Jarod's arrangement"
Mr Parker nodded absentmindedly, still thinking about his daughter's success.
Lyle, on the other hand, frowned. What was wrong with the old Belgian?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Jarod was taken to his new cell, escorted like a Mafia's boss.

He felt bad thinking he was again in this place, but thinking about Parker was even worse.
How could she have done that?
Sam opened the cell door and waited for Jarod to enter inside. The pretender hesitated a second: entering meant the end.
"C'mon, Jarod." the low voice of the sweeper had almost a tinge of sorrow.
Jarod went in, followed by Sam and Sydney. The sweeper took away the handcuffs and left.
The elder man looked his protégé, wishing to reassure him, but what he could say?
The two men stayed there, without a word, then Sydney sighed, "I'm sorry."
Jarod nodded. "Me too."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, SL-5

The news about the pretender's capture was the talk of the Centre, and Broots waited eagerly for Syd.
They needed to talk, there were happening so many things, strange things, in that place!
The door opened up and Sydney came in, with a nod to Broots.
"Syd! Well? Is it true? He's back?" Once again, Sydney nodded but didn't talk.
The tech stared at him, worried: the shrink seemed tired and older.
"Syd" Broots talked again "They say.. they say she.. she aimed her gun at you! It isn't true, right? She would never do this!"
"On the contrary, my friend," Syd made an effort to answer "she would do this. As a matter of fact, she did do it."
Broots shook his bald head, trying to smile "But surely she was bluffing, you know, to trap Jarod" he searched for a confirmation of his idea, but Sydney stared at him blankly.
Parker would NEVER shoot Syd. NEVER! Jarod would have know this!
But then, why did he surrender? As if.. yeah, as if he thought she..
Broots felt bad "Syd! You don't think.. she would.. kill you!"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

In that very moment, the same question was asked of Sam by the Chairman.
"You've working for my daughter since years, by now, Sam. Do you think she would have shot, or even killed, Sydney just to trap Jarod?"
The sweeper took some seconds to think. He didn't like the direction things were going.
Miss Parker was his boss, he was loyal to her, and only to her, even after the events of the passing day. It wasn't his job to judge her behaviour.
But these two were a totally different thing.
Mr Parker was waiting for his answer. Lyle had said nothing as yet, just looked at the sweeper.
"Sir, Jarod thought she would do it, that's why he surrendered." Sam hoped this answer was enough for them. He hadn't the stomach to say 'yes, I think she would have done it'.
The Chairman smiled, nodding "That's all, Sam. You can go"
Sam left, with the feeling he did a disservice to Miss Parker.
"Did you hear?" Mr Parker had a delighted look "Jarod surrendered because MY DAUGHTER would have killed Sydney," and he laughed merrily.
He had done it! He had his worth heir, at last!
Lyle was staring at him, astonished "Dad, are you joking? Do you know what this means? If Parker can kill Syd, then she could kill anyone!"
The old man nodded, still laughing.
Lyle couldn't believe it! How could his father not seeing the danger?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

That night was long and sad for Jarod. He couldn't sleep, he felt almost strangled. That place was Hell.
"Parker, how could you?" he whispered to himself. Her eyes -- they were the only things he could think about. Her eyes, cold, blank, dead.
She would have fired the gun. He had seen her ready to do it. In her eyes.

At his home, Sydney was thinking about the same things, him too. Parker. Jarod.
His children, that's what they were to him. And like a father, Syd felt the despair of having lost a daughter, her soul forever damned.
He hadn't been able to help her. A father has a duty to help his children, always and in every way. But he had failed: Parker was lost, and soon, Jarod would be too.
Silently, Sydney cried.

Parker, in her office, rubbed her burning eyes. She was so tired. And she had so many things to do still.
But they were the right things?
Parker saw again in her mind Sydney's face, Jarod's expression. It hurt thinking about them.
"God! What have I done? Why?" she asked to the empty room.
There was no way out -- no other choice. That was the only answer she could think of. Parker sighed and put aside thoughts of Syd and Jarod, then kept on working.
Not even for a second did she notice the sad, blue, wise look that stared at her through the vent.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The new day at the Centre seemed full of excitement and curiosity. Now that the hunt was ended, what would happen?
The main hall was crowded by employees and sweepers, all of them apparently very busy, but the truth was they were eager to know the next move of the Parkers, not to mention Raines' reaction!
The Parkers, father and son, walked in the building and moved toward the elevators.
They felt the atmosphere, loaded with expectation, but they both put on an air of nonchalance: showing emotions was not a Parkers trait!
Mr Parker smiled to Lyle, who pushed the button for their level.
As soon as the elevator's door closed, he talked to his son "See! They're waiting for our decisions! They all depend on us and.. " the old man raised one finger, to underline his own words ".. that is POWER!"
"Yeah!" was the only reply from Lyle. He wasn't so merry, like his father, and kept on thinking there was something wrong in his sister's attitude.
They exited from the elevator to find themselves in front of Raines and his sweeper Willie.
"I heard.. Jarod.. is back," wheezed the devilish doctor.
"Yes!" Mr Parker was full of pride and he almost giggled "My Angel brought him back yesterday!" He nearly swayed on his feet, like an happy child.
Lyle, disgusted, turned away. (It seems that everyone has something to do in this very place!) he thought, noticing the many people all around.
Raines was staring at Mr Parker "And how.. is it.. I was.. not informed.. about it?"
"You didn't need to know," answered the sharp voice of Miss Parker.
All the attention was on her now.
(God! She seems exhausted!) Lyle thought, amazed at the concern he felt.
"Besides," she continued, "you will learn everything in my report. I made copies, for.. All. Of. You." Parker let her gaze slide from one to the next.
Then, she addressed her father "I did my part, daddy. Now, it's your turn"
"My turn?" Mr Parker asked, faking ignorance "Oh! You're talking.. well, Angel, you see, I was thinking.. " His daughter crossed her arms "Maybe, you will have a bonus for.. and I have so many plans for you, you know?" Mr Parker laughed.
Parker narrowed her eyes "Dad!" Her voice was strong and loud "We had a deal. When Jarod was back, I would be free." Her father stopped laughing.
"We had a deal," she repeated "Or maybe.. your word doesn't count for anything anymore in here!" Parker stared at her father in open challenge.
Mr Parker stared back at his daughter, clenching his teeth.
Resolute and steady. So he had described her only few days ago.

But now she was a little too resolute and steady.
He had always been able to handle his daughter in the past, a word here, a smile there, and she always did as her father wished.
But now something had changed. She wasn't anymore the little girl, easy to manoeuvre, ready to do anything to gain his approval. This was a woman, a strong woman, who was defying him in front of the whole Centre!
Mr Parker narrowed his eyes as his gaze crossed that of his daughter, being no less determined than his.
He felt all eyes upon him and finally understood that he had lost the game.
"I have only one thing to say," he stated firmly "You're free to go, if you wish."
Raines seemed as if he wanted to wither the two of them with his glance.
"I imagine," Mr Parker continued "you'll need some days to get ready."
Parker smiled, or rather showed her teeth "Wrong, daddy. I've nothing to do but leave." She turned around and, in doing so, her eyes met Lyle's ones.
Something passed between the two of them, something faint and definite at the same time.
A bond? A memory? They stared in each other's eyes.
"Be careful, Lyle." Where did these words come from? Parker didn't know and didn't care "Always watch your back or these people.. will kill you, like they did our mother."
Lyle nodded slowly, still looking straight in her eyes "You be careful too."
She walked toward the elevators, feeling everybody's gaze on her.
It was then that the Tower's elevator hissed, which usually meant bad news.
The doors slid open and two men moved in front of Parker, blocking her way.
"Miss Parker, you are expected by the Triumvirate" said the younger man.
"Really!" She raised her eyebrow "Well, sorry guys, I have other places to go," and, pushing them aside with her hands, she passed between them.
The Tower's envoys stayed speechless: it wasn't that way people reacted to a call from the highest authority of the Centre! People trembled, turned pale and feared for their life! Certainly, no-one showed so much indifference and contempt!
The two men exchanged looks, feeling embarrassed for not to know how to handle a situation like that. The Tower didn't say to use violence, only to escort her upstairs.
The woman was calling the elevator. The sweeper called her again.
"Miss Parker! I'm afraid you didn't hear me-"
"My hearing is excellent," she cut him off with politeness "and your pronunciation is perfect. Please, tell the Triumvirate I have nothing to say to them. Not now and not ever again."
The elevator's door opened up. Parker entered in and looked up at the little hole that had been her nightmare for twenty-five years. She took from her pants pocket a bullet and forced it into the opening. Now, it was their turn to have nightmares!

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, SL-5

"So, she's gone" Sydney whispered "Without a word, without a look back. Without even a goodbye."
Broots stared at his own feet. He didn't know what to say to cheer up his old friend.
The truth was he too had expected a word from Miss Parker, even something like 'Fuck you! I'm free and you stay in Hell!'
Nothing. She was gone.
Sam was standing still, in a corner. It had been him who had informed Syd and Broots about their boss' leaving. And now, he looked like a beaten dog.
"But how could she?" Syd asked, almost enraged "How could she leave this way? Without any remorse, without thinking what will happen to Jarod, or to you, Broots, or to any of us! How could she do that?" Sydney's hand slammed on the desk.
The other two didn't have an answer, and the shrink shook his head, depressed. "How could she?" he repeated, talking to no one.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, Mr Parker's office

"I warned him!" Lyle was talking to Raines, in his father's office "I told him to be careful, not to trust my sister's behavior, that she was a loose cannon by then, but no! He knew what to do, he knew his little girl, she's a real Parker, and look what's happened!"
"Your.. father.. has been.. too.. careless" Raines hissed "He.. will give.. account.. of it.. to the Tower"
In fact, Mr Parker had taken the place of his daughter, and it was him, instead of her, standing in front of the Triumvirate.
"What a mess!" sighed the younger man "All because of that fool!"
The fool, Mr Parker, came in, and Lyle was at his side instantly.
"Well? What did they say to you?"
The Chairman seemed out of his mind "The Triumvirate was extremely displeased! They think your sister is a danger to the Centre and capable of anything, like what she did only a few hours ago, defying Tower's authority and refusing to submit herself to it."
"I was almost certain it would go this way, Dad," replied Lyle "and if you remember, I tried to warn you about the danger-"
Mr Parker cut him off with a move of his hand "Now things have changed. Your sister has put all of us in a critical position and the Tower wants to know if Parkers are still faithful!"
Lyle and Raines exchanged looks "So?"
Mr Parker stared his son. "We have to find her and bring her back."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, SL-5

Broots was pacing back and forth, trying to think of the better way to talk with Sydney.
Lyle and Mr Parker entered, followed by the shrink and Sam, who seemed having decided to follow the good doctor everywhere.
"Good to see you're still at your place, Broots," Mr Parker approached the tech, who began to sweat instantly "Maybe you thought your work here was over?"
Broots stayed silent, knowing better than answering to a rhetorical question.
"Well," Mr Parker continued, "we have a new task for you, Mr Broots, for all of you," he added, looking at Syd and the sweeper.
"We haven't the slightest idea of where Jarod's clone could be-" began Sydney, but the Chairman stopped him, by saying "We're not concerned with the clone for the time being. Your prey will be my daughter"
"WHAT? Uh, I.. mean, not Miss Parker?" Broots was sweating even more.
"Do you know any other daughters of mine?" asked Mr Parker coldly.
"No! I mean.. of course.. er, your daughter.. " the poor tech swallowed, wishing he could vanish somewhere.
"Why?" Sydney intervened, suddenly angry "You let her go away. Why do you want her back now?"
"Why I want her back is not your business, Syd" Mr Parker began, when the door burst open and Raines walked in, rage all over his face. "Do you know what she did?" he attacked the Chairman "She took away the child!"
Mr Parker frowned "The child?"
Lyle, who had stayed silent till then, rolled his eyes "My little brother, dad. Your youngest son"
"I know who is the child!" his father barked, then turned to Raines "It's impossible! She would never do this! Search for him everywhere!!" he ordered.
Raines looked like on the verge of an heart's attack "You'll have to explain this too, Parker!!" and he left, slamming the door after him.
Lyle stared his father and, with scorn in his voice, mimicked his father's voice. "She would never do this! I seem to hear my sister, Christ! When will you wake up to what's happening?"
"Don't you dare talking this way to me, Lyle! I know my daughter! She has nothing to do with this story!" Mr Parked retorted back, his face reddened with rage
"Really!" Lyle was shouting on his father's face, now "Are you blind or what? Don't you see it? She brought Jarod back, then she defied you and the Tower. She put her daddy dearest in danger, without even batting an eye. Then she left, when you were sure she would never have done it and she took the child WITH HER!! Parker did the very things you thought her incapable of doing!! SHE'S NOT YOUR LITTLE GIRL ANYMORE: CAN'T YOU REALIZE THAT, ONCE AND FOR ALL?"
A sudden silence followed Lyle's burst. Broots, Sydney and Sam looked at them, astonished. Never, in so many years, they've heard, and seen, the Parkers losing their control at each other in that way!
Syd's look sought out Broots, who was deathly pale, and then the shrink glanced Sam. The sweeper seemed a little disgusted by the scene and..
Father and son faced each other for some seconds. Then Lyle took a breath and spoke more quietly "If we are in this mess, it's only your fault, stupid old fool! You should have foreseen it and listened to me!"
Mr Parker didn't need to hear other accusations. He felt himself burning inside with rage for the situation he was in. His fault! Not in the least! It was HER fault! Only hers!
"Okay son!" he hissed, looking like his daughter "You're so clever! So fix this problem!"
The Chairman left, and the four men stayed silent, looking at each other.
"Mister Broots" Lyle addressed the tech "Do all you can to trace my sister and the child." His tone was almost annoyed.
Broots nodded eagerly "Yes sir" and sat at his computer.
"Sydney," the younger Parker continued, "I expect you to be part of this team, and you too, Sam." He didn't wait for an answer and went away, shaking his head.
Syd stared Broots as the tech typed and searched. Then, nonchalantly, he muttered to the sweeper "Sam, why have I the feeling you know something about the whole story?"
Sam didn't move a muscle in his face, just his eyes had a sudden sparkle "I've nothing to say, Doctor Green. Only.. I think that baby will be better out there, with his sister, than inside here, all alone"
Sydney nodded, slowly, as a light smile appeared on his lips.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Days and weeks passed without finding a single trace of Miss Parker or her baby brother. Broots searched all over the Web. Nothing. It was as if she had never existed.
"Yeah!" muttered the bald man "She worked for the Centre all this time, she had to have learned all the best ways to disappear." He bit his lip: so many things to consider!
All the teams were now dedicated to the search for the two runaways. As incredible as it seemed, Jarod had been almost forgotten after all that time spent chasing after him, but the Tower had been really clear about it: Parker had to be found! Nothing else mattered!
So Broots did his job and never mentioned to anyone about the things he saw happening around him. The truth was that he would have loved to talk with Sydney, but the shrink was so upset about Parker and busy with Jarod that Broots simply couldn't gain his attention.
Now and then, Lyle went down to the SL-5 to ask about news. There was none, and the tech was having the weird feeling that the devilish twin was almost relieved by the lack of progress.
But maybe it was only a feeling.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, Jarod's cell

The pretender counted ten steps from the bed to the wall on his right.
Then he turned around and counted other fifteen steps till the chair.
It was driving him crazy! That room wasn't one of the usual ones. And the surveillance was strict and continuous. Luckily, Syd visited him quite often and kept him updated with the latest events.
Jarod sat on the bed, staring sadly the door in front of him.
Once Parker told him about a place, in Canada. A wonderful place, she said, near a lake -- where the two of them would have lived, forever happy. They even searched for that place on a map, marking the route with a red pen.
'And what if the Centre wouldn't let us go?' the young Jarod had asked.
'We'll run away and we'll take different ways to confuse the track. I saw this in a movie once. Then, we'll meet there.' She had made a circle around the town's name. Then, the young Miss Parker had smiled and the boy had smiled back 'Don't worry, Jarod, you'll always know where to find me' she had said.
The grown Jarod sighed "How did we end up this way?"
All their dreams, all their hopes.. gone, destroyed.

The door of the cell opened and Jarod saw entering Mr Parker with Sydney, who seemed really angry, followed by Lyle and Raines.
(The whole welcome committee!) he thought (And they seem all worried!)
"About time!" Jarod said aloud "I was beginning to think you had forgotten about me. This isn't the proper way to behave toward guests."
"After.. all these.. days.. you.. still.. joke.. " Raines wheezed in anger, but Mr Parker stopped him.
"Please Raines, let me talk with him."
Sydney and Lyle stepped to one side, as if they wanted to keep a safe distance from the Chairman and what he had to say.
"Jarod," Mr Parker began, "I have a proposal for you. Something like a deal."
"A deal! Really!" Jarod repeated.
"Yes. Maybe you know, by now, that my daughter is gone."
"Uh-huh," nodded the pretender. "She brought me here, and then she took off with the child. I know."
Sydney stared the Chairman with deep disapproval "I think your idea is crazy and stupid!" he said "Jarod will never accept!"
Mr Parker shrugged "I think, instead, he should listen my proposal. Maybe he might be interested in what I have to offer."
Raines intervened "Jarod.. can not.. be.. trusted.. "
"Do you see other choices?" asked the Chairman.
"WHAT DO YOU WANT?" shouted Jarod, jumping to his feet "Tell me what you want and then get out of my way!"
Mr Parker clenched his teeth "Find my daughter," he said.
Jarod looked at him, incredulous "What?!?"
"Find my daughter! I want her back!" the old man repeated.
The pretender stayed silent for a second, his eyes wide. Then he burst out laughing. He laughed and laughed as the four men stared at him.
"Sorry" Jarod felt like choking "I can't help it! The huntress becomes the prey, huh?" He had another brief laugh, while Mr Parker waited.
"So, you want her back." Jarod narrowed his eyes. "Why?"

"This is not-""

Jarod didn't listen "You seem.. disappointed, Mr Parker. Why? Your daughter is, at last, just like you always wanted her to be: merciless and thoughtless. Just like you" He spat the words as the Chairman frowned "Aren't you happy? You should be. After all this time, you've done it. You managed to destroy all her humanity, the side of her that came from Catherine. But still you're not satisfied." Jarod shook his head with mock sorrow "Maybe that's because you've realized.. too late.. that it was her VERY humanity -- you called it weakness -- that made her so.. manoeuvrable! You had power over her because of her soul, her feelings, that side of her that was Catherine!"
Jarod bit his lip but no-one contradicted him.
He shook his head again, this time with real sorrow, thinking about his childhood friend. "But now, all that is gone. No more soul, no more feelings." He glanced at Raines "No more Catherine. And now you haven't got any buttons to push with her anymore. She's like you now; and people like you don't answer to anyone else -- not even to God." Jarod turned his back on them.
Mr Parker rolled his eyes, annoyed. He didn't care what Jarod had to say, but he didn't like having his own failure to sense the danger thrown up in his face.
And he didn't like that it was Jarod recalling this fact to him.
"Won't you hear my proposal?" he asked. Jarod didn't answer.
"Find my daughter and the child. And you will have a say in your future, here. About the SIMMs, about the projects."
The Chairman stopped any protests from Raines and Sydney with a raise of his hand. Only Lyle continued to say nothing.
"It's a generous offer" Parker continued.

"Yeah, sure," Jarod commented. He took some seconds to think, then: "Okay."
Sydney couldn't believe his ears "Jarod!"
"Oh Syd, please! I'm dying of boredom here! I need something to do!"
"But Jarod-"
"He's made up his mind, Sydney" intervened Mr Parker, smiling in
satisfaction. "Okay, Jarod. Tomorrow, you'll begin your new job."
"I'll need some help, sir." The pretender seemed eager to please him.
"Sure, sure" the Chairman laughed "Mr Broots will be your assistant, okay?"
"Perfect!" Jarod smiled back. "I couldn't wish for better."


End of part 2

Feedback: ste.piro@inwind.it
3 by Stefi
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Author's note: In this part, I wrote what may be a lot of bullshit about computer's programs and what you can do or can't do with the Internet.
Forgive me, I'm barely able to type on my keyboard, so I invented everything just for the story. Anyway, who knows what a genius can do with a computer?
Thanks to Ra-chell!

THE ARABIAN PHOENIX part 3
By Stefi


The Centre, Lyle's office.

The night was cloudy and cold, or maybe it was the Centre that made it seem cloudy and cold.
Lyle stroked his temples trying to sooth the headache and hopefully, he would manage to sleep that night.
The last weeks had not been so restful, too many things worried him.
His sister was gone, Jarod was helping the Centre to find her..
No, the pretender's attitude didn't persuade him, Jarod had something on his mind, Lyle would bet on it!
And Mr Parker didn't see it! Once again, the Chairman was making an huge mistake!
The Centre was becoming a staggering building, ready to collapse and Lyle had no intention to be involved in it.
He had the strange feeling as if he had no purpose in staying there anymore.
He wasn't used to handling his own feelings, Lyle always thought he didn't have any. But if he would have had the bravery to read inside himself, honestly, he could have recognize what he felt and calling it by its name.
It was sorrow, pain, loss. He missed the child.
Nobody knew it at the Centre, but Lyle often went to visit his little brother. Secretly, avoiding the cameras, he went into the nursery and played with the baby. Lyle wasn't certain they were brothers, but he felt a bond, a connection with him and the baby felt it too. In whatever moment the twin went into the nursery, he always found the child awake, waiting for him.
And Lyle took him in his arms, telling him funny stories he invented there and then, that made the child laughing merrily.
Lyle had realized with amazement that his brother didn't fear him. That he was always happy to see his big brother and he welcomed him with friendly bubbling.
Once, Lyle had tried to scare him only to see the reaction, but the baby didn't get confused and tried to imitate the grim face, laughing.
Later, he had fallen asleep in Lyle's arms, his little head on his shoulder with such total confident abandon as to be touched.
(I will not see him anymore) Lyle thought, staring in the night. He hoped Parker would take care of him.
Parker. It was hard admitting but Lyle missed her too. In some ways, he missed his sister.
The competition, the pressure, it was her who gave some taste at the fight! Certainly not his father and even less Raines!
Two dead men, that's what they were, two dead men that someone had forgot to bury. They still thought they were the most important people at the Centre.
But it was Parker the one who Lyle liked to cross swords with.
The Centre could have been hers. She really could have ruled it perfectly!
With a little more bravery, Lyle dug deeper inside. And it came out what hurt him the most: Parker was the only link to his past and to his mother.
She had never attempted to talk him about Catherine, to share her memories with him. But in a hidden corner of his heart, Lyle had always hoped that maybe, someday...
And now, everything was over. He would never have his past back to complete him. He would always feel that lack inside.
Lyle turned his back on the camera and took a picture out of his jacket pocket. It was a picture taken from a surveillance's tape: the child and Parker. She too went to visit him often. (And now they're gone.) Lyle sighed.
"Bobby.. sad.." Lyle turned abruptly toward the voice, and the picture slid away from his hands.
"What the hell.. Oh, it's you, Angelo. What do you have on your mind, scaring me that way!"
The empath made his way closer to Lyle "Bobby.. confused.."
"It's you, the confused one, remember? And what are you doing here?"
Lyle recoiled as if Angelo was some disease. He didn't like to be read like an opened book, and Angelo seemed to see right through him.
On the other side, Angelo always felt scared of Lyle. Like Parker, Lyle had high and impassable walls to protect him but a perceptive man like Angelo managed to read him through the walls. And what he saw in Lyle, scared him. But this time was different. The walls didn't exist anymore, and Angelo saw something.
Something he liked. Slowly, Angelo picked up the picture from the floor and with kindness he caressed the two people on it. Lyle asked himself why he was staying there to hear the confused muttering of that idiot.
"She.. inside.. you." Said Angelo.
"Excuse me?" Lyle wasn't sure he understood.
"She.. inside.. you.. " The empath repeated "Listen.. to her.. and.. Bobby... free.."
"She? You mean Catherine? My... mother?"
Angelo nodded, giving him back the picture "Listen.. and .. Bobby.. free.."
Lyle stared the strange man who slowly sat on the floor, in the dark.
Then, Lyle moved his gaze to the picture, thoughtfully.
Eventually, he put it inside his pocket and walked to the door.
"See you, Angelo." And left, closing the door after him.
Angelo stayed on the floor. He had an intent look, like he was hearing some strange sound far away. He listened for awhile.
Then Angelo smiled "Bobby free." He whispered, joy all over his face "Bobby free."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, SL-5

"I can't believe that Jarod would ever do such a thing!" Sydney stated, paced back and forth.
Broots sighed deeply. This day seemed to begin in the worst way possible.
"Maybe it's only a trick, Syd." He replied hoping to calm down his friend.
"Maybe. And maybe not." The shrink didn't know what to think.
There were things happening.. the very things he would have never believed could happen! Parker catches Jarod and takes him back.. Jarod who then decides to work for the Centre..
"Good morning, sirs!" The happy voice of the pretender made the two men jump "Ready for work?"
Broots looked at Syd, who spoke with rage in his voice "How can you..." He cut himself off seeing the Chairman and Raines walking into the room.
"Well." Mr Parker smiled happily "Mr Broots, you'll work side by side with Jarod"
"Yes, sir." Broots answered flatly.
"And you, Syd, will help too!" The Chairman continued.
"I don't see what kind of help I could give." Sydney retorted.
"Like you did in the search for Jarod," Mr Parker explained cordially "You'll be the shrink, to understand and foresee my daughter's moves."
"Miss Parker has never been my patient, I can't-"
"Oh please, Syd." Jarod cut him off "You underestimate yourself. Of course, you'll be able to help us." The pretender addressed his new boss "Mr Parker, I'm sure Sydney will be useful in this job. After all, who knows Miss Parker better than him?" Jarod grinned. His words were a shaft but Mr Parker was too satisfied to have Jarod at his own command to notice it.
"Right, Jarod, right!" He nodded, laughing. Raines, strangely, didn't talk but he paid great attention to the words said and the attitudes of those people.
(Maybe, this is the right time to take Parkers down) He thought.
"Well!" Jarod clapped together his hands "I think it's time to begin the hunt"
"Hunting Parker." Underlined Sydney, still hoping in a awakening of his protégée. Did he really mean to go after her?
"Right, Syd." Jarod showed his teeth in a perfect Parker-style "It's time for my little, old, childhood friend to taste the life she made me live the past years"
Mr Parker and Raines exchanged looks, the tool they used with Parker worked even with Jarod!
"We'll let you work, then." The two moved toward the door "Let us know if there is news." The door closed after them, but Jarod stayed still.
"Gone?" He muttered, keeping a threatening look on Sydney.
"Yeah." Answered the tech.
"Is it safe talking here, Broots? Syd, keep looking at me as if you could kill me." The pretender continued.
Sydney crossed his arms, clenching his teeth "Are you saying..?"
"Had you thought I would have gone after Parker?" Jarod asked with low voice "C'mon, Syd, you know me. And maybe this way, I can find a way out"
Syd's eyes grew wide and abruptly the man turned around, faking rage and disgust. Inside, he felt relief and shame for having thought such bad things about Jarod.
Broots looked at them "If we talk with low voice, they can't hear us."
Jarod sat next to him "Well, what did you do to try to find Parker?"
"I checked all transport's lines, bus, airlines, trains, and the hiring of cars and.. I found nothing, nothing at all! The last track is in Blue Cove where she filled up the car and then.. " the tech snapped his fingers ".. she vanished with the child and everything!"
"The credit cards?"
"I checked them, too. She never used them till now. And before you ask, I checked her bank accounts. Nothing. The money is still there, she didn't make withdrawals or better, she didn't make any that one could notice."
Jarod stroke his chin "It seems almost.. that Parker.. had planned.. the whole thing." He thought about it for awhile, then he stood up "I would like to look at her computer."
Broots words stopped him, as he went to the door "You'll find nothing."
"No offence meant.. " Jarod said "but maybe you missed something."
"No offence taken." Broots answered "But it's hard missing SOMETHING when there's NOTHING to miss. She erased everything."
"Everything?!?"
"Demagnetized, it's the right word." Broots looked at Syd then at Jarod "Her computer has been totally cleaned."
"And.. " it was Syd's turn to ask ".. are you sure it was.. Parker.. who did it?"
The tech bit his lips "I think.. yes, I think so." Had he to talk?
Broots didn't know what was the right thing to do.
Jarod and Syd were staring at him, as if they could read his thoughts. Broots began to sweat.
At last, Jarod asked "The Centre's Mainframe? Have you checked it?"
"No! No, the.. no, I didn't.. "
"Broots!" Jarod called "One only 'no' is enough. C'mon, let's give it a look."
"We'll have to ask permission from Mr Parker." Syd made notice to his protégée.
"Sure." Answered the pretender, with an huge grin "How much do you bet he'll give it to me?"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, Mr Parker's office

"But sure, Jarod! It's obvious that you can have access to the mainframe of the Centre!" Mr Parker stood up from his chair "Do you think you'll manage to find my daughter this way?"
"Well sir, Miss Parker made sure of erasing all her notes and files, but.. certainly, she couldn't do the same in the main database, right? So, yes, I think we can find what she has to hide in this way." Jarod nodded, smiling to the Chairman.
"Excellent!" Was Parker's reply "Keep me informed."
"Yes sir!" Jarod turned around to leave and ran into Raines, who was entering that very moment "Sorry, Doctor Raines"
Raines followed him with his dead eyes till the pretender vanished behind the doors. Then he addressed Mr Parker.
"What.. was he.. doing.. here?"
"Oh, nothing important. He asked to have access to the mainframe to check the last movements of my daughter."
The satisfied smile of Parker made the devilish doctor tremble.
"Don't.. tell me.. you.. authorized.. him.."
"Of course Raines, what kind of questions you do ask!" Parker made an annoyed gesture. What did he think, Raines? That he was crazy?
Raines with his eyes popping out of his head managed to take a breath and ask "BUT ARE YOU CRAZY?" Another deep breath "And why didn't you offer him the keys of the Centre? Better still, why didn't you say to him 'C'mon, Jarod.. take my place here, it's all yours!', eh?" Raines grabbed the handle of the oxygen cylinder and opened it at maximum, trying to fill up his lungs.
Mr Parker laughed contently "My friend, I think I never heard you talk so much in one only breath!"
If looks could kill, Parker would be dead in that very moment!
"Raines, you worry too much! Don't you see the revenge that burns inside Jarod? He'll find my daughter, I'm sure of it!"
(This man will ruin all of us!) Raines thought.
"By the way." continued Parker "What do you want?"
Raines calmed himself down. "Lyle.. Have.. you.. seen.. him?"
The Chairman seemed losing a bit of his good mood. "No. Not today."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, Mainframe's room

"I still don't understand how you made it!" exclaimed Broots full of admiration.
Jarod smirked "Charme, mon ami!"
Sydney smiled, shaking his head but Broots kept on looking around nervously.
"C'mon, my friend" Jarod reassured him "It's okay! We're here with the permission of the Chairman!"
"Yeah, sorry." The tech muttered.
The pretender moved his attention to the screen "Let's see what Parker was doing with my files"
He typed and read, opened files and closed them again. Then he searched in other sectors, typed again and searched even more.
"Broots." Jarod called, handing him a sheet "Please, check these files on another computer, meanwhile I'll check these other ones."
Broots took the note and began working. He knew what he would find, but chose to wait that Jarod discovered himself the conclusions.
The waiting didn't last a long time. The pretender stopped typing, he leant on the chair's back and stared the screen.
Sydney looked at him "Jarod, have you found anything?"
"About Parker? No Syd, and this is really odd! But I found something else, even more odd." Jarod glanced at the tech who was avoiding to look at their side.
Sydney didn't miss the exchange of looks, and puzzled, asked.
"What Jarod? What did you find?"
"Someone.. " Jarod glanced again Broots "infiltrated through the mainframe computer of the Centre."
"WHAT?!?" Sydney jumped but instantly recovered from surprise.
".. and he's copying and sending a lot of files somewhere." Jarod concluded.
"An hacker?" asked the shrink.
"Maybe. Or an informer." Jarod turned around the chair to find himself in front of Broots.
The tech began to shake his hands, to defend himself.
"No, Jarod! I-I don't know anything, okay? I would never, I mean, this is the Centre, my God!, I would be crazy to.. you can't believe I-I.. "
Sydney turned his head from one to the other.
"Jarod!" The shrink exclaimed "You're not.. What do you think? Broots would be the informer?!?"
The pretender kept his gaze on Broots "Maybe not. But certainly he knows something, or everything, about it. Isn't it so, Brootsie?"
The poor geek shook his bald head, trying to find an explanation for them
"I wasn't sure about it."
"You weren't sure!" Jarod was incredulous "A man with your skills doesn't recognize an hacker's passing, doesn't realize about a leak!"
Broots held up his head and stared at the two "It's really so! I didn't realize! This one is not the usual hacker, his movements are not detected by security's programs. I don't know why, I-I-" The tech left his chair and got near Jarod and Syd "I've never detected him, I mean, there weren't traces, nor alerts about some intrusion nor about leaks!"
Jarod frowned "What are you saying? That this guy.. "
"He comes in and goes out, as he pleases, and no one notices it." Broots completed, nodding "Have you seen how many files he opened and copied and sent? And yet, there's no news about leaks!"
Sydney added "If there were, we would know it, by now"
Jarod turned around again on the chair and stared at the screen.
"An intruder who manages to avoid any check or tracking-device, a ghost-program that doesn't leave traces.. "
"Well," Syd objected "Here in the mainframe it left them."
"But they have not been detected Syd, we have had to search for them!"
"Every day, new programs-" Broots began, but Jarod cut him off.
"This is the Centre, Broots! It's from here that new programs come! There's a leak and the Centre doesn't know it!"
The trio stayed silent for a moment.
Strangely the thought that the almighty, ubiquitous Centre didn't know something of such importance, made them almost panic. What the hell was happening, there?
"Broots" Jarod asked "What made you notice this hacker, without traces nor anything?"
Broots opened his arms "I don't know. It can sound absurd but.. it was a feeling. I don't know how to explain it, I mean, I never saw anything happening! I never thought about an hacker! Yet, I felt something was wrong." He stroke his bald head "And I.. sometimes, I thought.. like I was.. imagining, I mean, everyone seemed mad, here, and I felt so.. nervous, you know.. for Miss.. Parker and you Jarod, here again and.. I wasn't sure, that's all"
"Why didn't you tell me, about it?" Syd asked.
Broots gave him a strange look "I tried, Syd, but you too were so upside down.. I didn't manage to talk to you.. "
"You ran a damn risk, Broots!" Jarod said "If someone finds out about this story, you'll.. "
"Please, don't say it!"
Sydney intervened with a logical question "What do we do now? Have we to inform Mr Parker?"
Jarod shook his head "Not for the moment. I want to know who is this guy and how he manages to enter in the mainframe without alerting the security system."
"Well," Was Broots suggestion "let's check it! Maybe there's some error or.. "
Jarod looked at him a little skeptical. Not even him, a pretender, had ever been able to get into the Centre's mainframe without to be found out by the security system soon or later. Anyway, it was one way like another else, he might just as well try.
"Okay, here's the security system." Jarod tried to open the files and instantly a warning appeared on the screen, asking the password.
"Broots?"
The tech gave him the password written on a sheet of paper and Jarod typed it. A new warning told them the password wasn't right and the access was denied.
"Hey! What does it mean?" Broots asked. Jarod didn't answer and tried with some other files, but the result was the same.
Sydney shrugged "They changed the password and then? It's enough to ask about it to Mr Parker."
"Why there's no alert?" Jarod exchanged looks with Broots, who nodded, understanding what the pretender was thinking.
"You're right Jarod, typing a wrong password the alert would have to go off, and instead.. " The tech was silent abruptly, thinking about the reasons of such mess.
Jarod too was thinking and suddenly he understood "HE changed the password! The hacker re-programmed the security system! He can always enter and exit without being detected because he programmed the system in such a way as to be recognized and accepted! That's why there were no alerts: according to the system, he's NOT an intruder!"
"But is it possible?" Sydney didn't understand a lot about computers.
"Well.. " Jarod shrugged "He did it." He typed again "Let's see if we can discover when that has happened." After some seconds waiting the answer was in front of them.
"Good grief!" Broots breathed as Syd at last sat down beside them.
Jarod clenched his teeth "This story is going on for months!"
"But how did he manage to do it?" Broots asked "For acceding to the security system, he had to know the previous password! And why did nobody notice him? It would have been enough to check in like we are doing now and he would be discovered!"
Jarod was still staring the screen "Well, why do you check in the Mainframe, Broots? Because you know about a leak. But.. if you don't know anything, for what reason would you check?"
Sydney said his own thought "Because you're searching for other things, like we did. We were searching to track Miss Parker and instead we caught an hacker."
"And what use is this for?" Jarod replied "We can't track him, we can't stop him, he shut us out by changing the password!"
"But we could try to identify the new one-" Broots suggested
"It'll take days!" Was Jarod's remark.
"-and we could delete the files, so he couldn't copy anything else." The tech completed.
Jarod moved his gaze on him, lightly annoyed "You can do it if you want. But I have an idea that if you try to delete the files, something in that program will prevent you."
Broots glanced at the screen puzzled. Computers and programs were his daily bread and it irritated him not understanding what was happening.
"Jarod." Sydney talked with low voice "Who can it be? Who can be so smart to do these things? And where is he sending all those files?"
The pretender shook his head. "I don't know, Syd. Many people can do a program or re-program a system, getting himself in a mainframe.. the point is that those things shouldn't be possible HERE!" Jarod slammed his hand on the desk "The Centre has got a security system that you'll never find somewhere else. An hacker can try to infiltrate and managing too, but he will always be discovered!"
"A regular hacker would be." Broots mused "But.. what if he's a genius?"
The tech looked up at the other two "A genius could do it!"
"The boy!" whispered Syd and Jarod turned his head toward him shocked.
"He and your father have to have found some way to accede the mainframe! And maybe they're searching.. don't know, something about your mother! Your past!"
"Maybe! Maybe." Jarod stroke his face, feeling tired "It can be but I hope they'll stay away from here and-"
"Anything?" Mr Parker's voice boomed behind them and with a fast move Jarod hid the screen from the Chairman's sight.
"Not yet, sir." Broots answered.
"We're checking all over again. It'll take time." Jarod explained as Syd frowned, going on to play his part.
"Oh!" Mr Parker seemed not to pay attention to their words "Have you.. seen my son, by chance?"
The trio exchanged looks, puzzled "Mr Lyle? No, sir. We haven't"
The boss nodded and without saying more, he left.
Broots collapsed on his chair "Whew!"
Jarod began to close all the files they opened and smirking, he glanced at the tech "Scared? C'mon, Broots!"
"What do we do, then?" Sydney came back to the previous problem "Do we talk with Parker?"
Jarod shook his head "Not for now. Let's search for Miss Parker. Tomorrow, we'll see."


End of part 3


Feedback: ste.piro@inwind.it
4 by Stefi
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Thanks to Rachell!

THE ARABIAN PHOENIX part 4
By Stefi

When 'tomorrow' came, it wasn't like anything they had expected.
Sydney arrived at the Centre to find it full of people he had never seen before.
In the parking lot, there were many cars that Syd recognized as police's cars, and FBI's and CIA's. The shrink couldn't avoid feeling panic inside him and when two young black men approached him, he even thought about taking flight.
"Your name please?" One of them asked showing his badge.
"Green. Dr Sydney Green"
The second man, with glasses on his nose, checked on a sheet of paper he was holding in his hand and nodded to his colleague.
"Would you follow me please?" The voice's tone was kind and so was the gesture that the first man made to show the way. But Syd was sure that refusing wasn't an option, so he followed them.
Inside the building there were more people than outside. While he was escorted to who knows where, Sydney let his gaze sliding around. He saw policemen, detectives, men dressed all in black, so alike to the Centre sweepers, only they weren't. Syd also saw familiar people, employees most of all, with scared, lost looks on their faces.
(It's over) Sydney thought and despite of the fear and guilt, he felt relieved. It would have to happen soon or later, that everyone, inside there, give account of what they did.
The three men entered in the elevator, THAT elevator, and while it went down, (to the SL-5) noticed Syd, they stared the hole in the wall, with the bullet Parker had put inside.
"How odd!" The man with glasses exclaimed, faking amazement "A bullet hole, old for ages and a brand new bullet inside!"
"Yeah!" Answered the other man "Maybe something happened many years ago but still lives in someone's memory. Or a warning that lasted till now." The two looked at Sydney.
"What do you think, Dr Green? Is it a memory or a warning?"
The Belgian man didn't waver and his answer was sharp "Both!"
Instantly, he regretted the aggressive attitude, it wasn't the best way to begin. A man in his position hadn't the right to be aggressive.
As the elevator doors opened, Syd decided to be more careful and available. Maybe he could have some news about the others, this way.
What had happened to Mr Parker for example and to Raines. And Jarod? Angelo and Broots! Where they were and..
Sydney turned off his mind like a lamp.
"This way doctor." Said the man with glasses. The tech room!
Syd frowned but said nothing and entered in the room where he had worked for so many years.
He wasn't ready for what he saw: Broots was there, nervous like always, and Jarod too was there, speaking with a woman slender and blond-haired, and a tall, dark man.
"Sydney! You're here!" Jarod grabbed his mentor's hand and made him sit on a chair.
"Jarod, what's happening? I mean, you know these people.. "
"Don't worry, Syd, everything's okay" Jarod put an hand on his shoulder "This is Sydney." He said addressing the two agents.
By their reaction Syd understood that Jarod had talked them about him. The man stared at him with distrustful look as the woman had a light smile while she nodded.
"Sydney." Jarod continued "This is Robert Malcom and Frances O'Neal. They are federal agents. I worked with them once."
The shrink calmed himself down "What's happened here? And what about Mr Parker and Raines?"
"They were arrested yesterday evening." The woman, Frances, answered "And also the people you know as the Triumvirate and the Tower."
"We are searching for the other bigwigs, in all the countries and there, in Africa." Added Malcom rather coldly. He would like to jail all the people he had found inside that place. He had a "First you shoot, then you ask questions" attitude.
But Jarod asked him to wait and Malcom had to admit that one couldn't judge and condemn without listening before.
The pretender sat beside Sydney and beckoned Broots to come closer.
"Do you remember the files we found copied and sent somewhere? Well, they were sent to the FBI and CIA. Like we already know, the sending has begun some months ago, but only now the feds have had enough evidences to arrest Mr Parker and
the others. And so, they moved to close this place. Can you guess how I felt when Malcom and Fran opened my cell door?" Jarod smiled and Broots had a nervous laugh.
Sydney sighed deeply "Then, it's over." His friends nodded as the shrink turned to the agents "Now what will happen?"
Fran looked at him "Why aren't you in jail, you mean?"
"We may be still in time.. " Malcom muttered but his colleague stopped him to say more.
"Doctor Green." Fran continued "We know that you have been part of many.. projects, let's call them this way and you have many things to give account of. But Jarod says that.. if he's still alive, it's thanks to you. Now, there's a lot of work to do here, and we think you'll be useful. Mr Broots has agreed to help us with research and computers. You could help to explain and clarify the meaning of such.. projects"
"Your collaboration will favour your position." Added Malcom almost unwillingly "But it won't assure you impunity! And you'll be surveyed, don't you think you'll be free to go wherever you like!"
"I don't ask for impunity!" Syd was annoyed by Malcom's attitude "I know I have done.. awful things, and God knows if I could ever forgive myself for not having tried to stop them." The old man sighed deeply.
"Syd, you couldn't do anything!" Jarod objected.
"I should have to try! Catherine did it! Fenigor did it!" Syd shouted, slamming a fist on the desk.
"Sure! And look how they ended! Catherine dead, and Fenigor as if he were!" Jarod had an half smile "And if I remember.. well, you tried once." The pretender addressed the two feds "Syd put a bomb in SL-27, but it didn't work."
"I nearly killed everyone!" Remembered the shrink.
"Yeah, nearly! And you ended up in the Renewal Wing!" Broots completed.
It was the first time he had talked and everyone looked at him.
The shy tech blushed and made a step back, hoping to vanish.
Sydney turned to Malcom and O'Neal "I want to help, not for having a minor punishment nor for evading my responsibilities. Only.. to help. For the first time in my life I can help the people I care about." His eyes turned sad, thinking about Parker.
"We'll find her." Jarod seemed to have guessed what Syd was thinking. "Now, we can find her."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

In the following weeks, the new team worked incessantly in order to find more evidences against Mr Parker, Raines and all their accomplices.
Not that it was hard to find them, any file, any DSA was evidence in itself. Broots was the one who worked the most. In the course of few days, he had found the new password, an incredible list of numbers!, and he was searching and discovering more things than he liked. The tech felt he had a heavy responsibility on his shoulders. Finding the truth meant taking down the Centre, yes, but it meant helping many people to have back their past and their lives.
Sometimes, the truth had a bitter taste and Broots felt bad saying those things to Jarod and the feds. But the more he discovered, the more the Centre went down.
Sydney was doing his part, explaining the meaning and the purposes of many projects. Every time the shrink spoke to Malcom and O'Neal, he felt better.
Jarod worked on the past, most of all. Step by step, he was getting together his life and that gave him strength.
He was still trying to find Miss Parker, that one was the hardest part. She left nothing to work on. Jarod had found an old bank account, opened by Catherine Parker for benefit of her daughter, but it was closed eight months before. Nothing useful.
Nor was Lyle traceable, but Jarod never tried hard to find him despite the hate he felt for the murderer of Kyle.
Few, confused words from Angelo made him understand that the evil twin was no more so evil. Maybe it wasn't the right thing to do: Lyle, like others, had awful crimes on his Curriculum Vitae, but he was, like others, a victim too. Jarod hoped he had made the right decision by letting him go.
"Jarod?" Fran's voice made Jarod turn around from the desktop.
"Some news?" The pretender asked, standing up. The woman nodded.
"Bad news?" He asked again. Every time Fran had that look, there was something wrong.
"Well," The woman sighed "It all depends from what you think is good or bad. Better if you come to see"
As the two walked to the tech room, Jarod asked Fran "Anything about my father and the boy?
"No, Jarod. My techs are checking the transmissions of files once again, but for now.. Are you sure this guy is our informer?"
Jarod shrugged "I don't know who else it could be. If only they would contact me. By now they have to know what's happened here!"
"Don't be so sure, the Big Chiefs decided not to give too much publicity to this stuff. Many heads are falling you know, and they fear a scandal, so the press has been kept away from it."
Jarod clenched his teeth "People have the right to know!"
Fran nodded "So I think too. But it's not our place to decide."
The two went in the Tec room where Broots and Syd with Malcom were waiting for them.
"Why the long faces!" Jarod joked, seeing the weird looks of his friends.
"Long faces?" Malcom snarled "You know Jarod, the more we dig in this garbage, the more I feel like killing everyone!"
Fran held her colleague's shoulder, trying to calm him down.
"What's happened?" Jarod turned to Syd and Broots. The tech didn't talk but moved himself aside so the pretender could see the picture on the screen.
"Miss Parker's little brother." Jarod nodded "What about him?"
Sydney tightened his lips, rage in his eyes and Broots began to talk, with a faltering voice.
"Not.. her little brother." deep sigh, it wasn't easy to say! "Her.. son.. "
"What?!?" Jarod stared the smiling child, incredulous.
"And yours." completed Syd.
"WHAT?!?"
"Not only did they cloned you..." The shrink was quivering with disdain. "No! They wanted an whole progeny of pretenders to train and exploit! Just to guarantee the old age!"
"And they used Brigitte to carry the child." Broots intervened "They knew Miss Parker would have never agreed to such a thing."
Jarod fell on a chair, trying to breath. A son! God, he had a son! With Parker!
Fran looked at him concerned "Hey, you okay?"
"Yes. I think." The pretender stood up again and stared the child's picture "I have to find them." He whispered.
"I'm asking myself." Fran said thoughtfully "Does she know? That the baby is hers? And yours?"
Jarod shrugged "Don't know. Maybe."
"I think she would have talked me about it." Was Syd's reply "And she never did."
"Maybe ONCE she would have Syd." Broots glanced at the shrink "Not the last times"
"Why not?" Malcom asked but before someone could answer him the phone rang. Fran pushed a button so everyone could hear and she talked.
"Federal agent O'Neal speaking."
A brief silence, then a male voice asked "Federal agent?"
Jarod jumped to the phone. "Dad!"
"Jarod? Son, what's happening there? Is it a set-up to make all of us come out?"
"No, Dad." Jarod laughed "No tricks, there are feds and policemen here. It's over Dad."
"Jarod." Major Charles sounded puzzled "Tell me the truth, are they threatening you to make you talk this way and-"
"Dad, I assure you there's no tricks, no threats, no jokes. I was hoping you would contact me. The boy is there with you?"
"Yes he is and when we read about a raid in a big organization in Delaware, he kept on saying that we had to call you. So I decided to call Sydney and ask to him. The last thing I thought to hear was a fed's voice.. and yours."
The people in the Tech room exchanged puzzled looks. Jarod lean on the desk frowning.
"I don't see the reason Dad, you two had to know about it by then."
"Why should we?" Major Charles sounded more puzzled than them.
"Dad, weren't you and the boy who contacted the feds to inform them about the Centre? The hackers who infiltrated the Centre's mainframe? To copy and send files to the CIA?"
A long silence, then "Jarod, I wish could tell you 'yes, we did that' but.. the truth is that I haven't the slightest idea about what you're saying! Did someone report the Centre?"
Jarod sat on a chair sighing "Yes Dad, and we thought about the boy. The way things had gone.. well, only a genius could do it."
Major Charles laughed merrily "I'll tell Jacob that all of you thought him able to take down the Centre, he'll be really flattered."
Sydney started with surprise hearing his brother's name.
"Dad." Jarod talked again "Please, come back here, we are searching for Mom and Emily too and.. Jacob.. " The pretender looked at his mentor smiling ".. Jacob could really help us so much."
"Okay, son. But give us a little time. We are in Nebraska, so.."
"Nebraska?!?" A chorus of voices asked.
"Please! Don't ask! It's a long story!"
The line went dead and the five people looked one another. Clearly, they were thinking all of them about the same thing.
It wasn't the boy. Who, then?
"We are again to the start." Fran sighed.
"Well." Said Malcom "It must have been another one. No offence, Jarod, but you're not the only genius in this place right?"
"With brain still intact? Yes, I am." Jarod shook his head and stood up, he began pacing back and forth.
"Maybe Angelo?" Syd suggested.
Jarod shook again his head "No. I asked him."
They stayed silent and thoughtful for awhile, then the faltering voice of Broots cut their musing off.
"I.. " Four heads turned abruptly toward him. Broots cowered under their gazes ".. think to k-know.. "
"-who's the informer?" Completed the others
"And what are you waiting for?" Malcom yelled, grabbing the tech's shirt.
"Robert, please!" Fran scolded him. Her colleague let Broots go and she smiled at him "I'm sorry Broots, Malcom has such a bad temper!"
Sydney addressed his co-worker. "Broots, if you know who he is, why didn't you say it?"
"I.. it's not that I know, Syd. You see, I THINK I know, I mean, there's no other.. if not-"
"Broots" Jarod cut him off "Who?"
Broots looked at one then at another, sighing. "Miss Parker."
"Miss Parker?!?" Jarod's tone was deeply skeptical.
"Yes!" Broots nodded "She knows the Centre in and out and about the security well, she was in security for a long time."
Neither was Syd persuaded "But she knows little or nothing about computers, Broots. That's why you're working here, remember?"
The tech stared at them, nervously "That is.. what WE think."
Jarod frowned "What do you mean?"
"There's something.. about Miss Parker.. that we are inclined to forget. She's a Red File, that is a pretender."
"A potential pretender." Underlined Syd "And she has never been trained because her test results weren't satisfying."
"And.. what if it wasn't true?" The bald man asked.
Sydney tried to persuade him. "Broots, I read the results myself! Despite her I.Q., Parker would have never been a pretender!"
"Are you sure?" Broots insisted "And what if the results had been falsified? This is the Centre, Syd. It wouldn't be the first time things are not what they seem to be."
"And who could have done that?"
"Well, her mother for one. If Catherine Parker would have found out that her daughter was a pretender, a GREAT pretender, maybe even better than Jarod! You knew her, Syd. What would she have done?" Sydney stared at Broots and so did Jarod. They knew the answer.
"She would have done everything to spare her daughter my same destiny." Jarod whispered.
"This Catherine Parker.. " Fran asked ".. was the woman you talked me about? The one who tried to make you run away from here?"

Jarod nodded and Syd explained "Catherine saved many children, despite of the danger. She knew she would be condemned, but she tried anyway to take away Jarod, her daughter and poor Angelo."
Malcom, red with rage, hissed "But she didn't manage to do it!"
"No." Was the sad answer given by Jarod "And Parker, Angelo, myself have been trapped here. I managed to escape, Angelo knows how to go out of here, but Parker.. she was wrapped up by so many lies and blackmails to make her totally unable to go away. She was CONVINCED she could never go away!"
"Till now." Broots made his voice heard. The others looked at him but this time he didn't waver. "Why now, why could she go away now?"
Jarod had a dry laugh "Because she took me back. Remember?"
"That's another point I don't understand, Jarod. Why did she bring you back? She had to know that her father would have never let her go. The only way for her was to disappear. So, why wasting time to bring you back? Miss Parker only had to take the child and.. " Broots snapped his fingers ".. vanish. Like she did, in effect."
The four people looked one another puzzled. Broots was giving so many things to think and musing about.
"And about.. " Broots turned again in the usual shy geek "it's not that.. I mean.. "
"Broots." Sydney sighed "Please, talk once for all!"
"Do you remember the day you were caught, Jarod?"
"And how could I forget it?"
"Well there were two leads, remember Syd? One was in Memphis. The other one was so weak not worth the trouble to check it. Miss Parker kept on saying that Memphis was a trap, that she would followed the second lead, no matter what her father said."
"Yeah, I remember." Sydney didn't understand the purpose of such a novel.
"She seemed really satisfied that Lyle went to Memphis and.. and after they'd gone, I found a note written by Parker. It said 'Pink and green' and 'Red notebook: shit!'"
Jarod frowned at these words and Broots nodding, went on with his story "She never went to Memphis, and yet she knew that you weren't there, Jarod. She knew what Lyle would find even before he arrived in it! And most of all, she knew where you were!"
Jarod was speechless. Broots insisted "How, Jarod? How did she know it?"
"By doing a Sim!" Syd was shocked and he ruffled his own hair, thinking aloud "That night I went to her, to invite her to my home. And she was so pale and sweaty.. What an old idiot am I!" He addressed Jarod "She had the same look you had after you did some difficult Sims! She had a lot of your pictures on her desk and.. she did a Sim!"
Jarod nodded slowly "And so she found me!"
"I.. I think she.. always knew.. how to.. find you." Broots glanced at the pretender "I mean.. she always seemed.. don't know, like she could...perceive.. your presence and.. her attitude, her... " The tech moved his hands, feeling frustration for not being able to explain himself.
Fran and Malcom had lost the thread a long time before but they stayed silent, listening carefully and making a mindful note of everything.
Jarod lifted one hand as like to stop the sea of revealed news.
"Okay." He said "Supposing that you're right Broots, that Parker is a pretender. And supposing that she's the informer, okay?"
Sydney and Broots nodded.
Jarod continued "She always knew how to find me, but.. she never did it, okay? Maybe because she didn't want it or.. don't know, anyway she never did it!"
"Okay." Was the answer.
"Then why did she do it now! All this is taking us back to is your first question, Broots. Why now? And why this way! For years I've tried to persuade her to go away, but she never paid attention to me! What changed? What's happened to make her make such a decision?"
"Her house burnt." Syd talked "After the loss of her home, Parker hasn't been the same anymore. She lost everything, every bond, every memory and maybe she discovered too about her little.. her son, and.. "
Broots shook his head "I don't think she knew about the baby. In the state of mind she was those days, she would have killed everyone surely."
"Yeah, you're right." The shrink sighed "Parker nearly shot me too. Let's say that after her house burnt, she wanted to go away and.. " Syd sighed again. "Here we are again! Why taking time to catch Jarod! Why not disappearing and that's all!"
"Maybe she couldn't do it." Fran talked with a low, sweet voice "And maybe she did it now because she couldn't do it before."
Jarod turned to stare at her with wide opened eyes. The woman felt she was blushing.
"It was only an idea." She justified herself.
But Jarod felt like kicking himself: the answer was so easy and banal, but he hadn't seen it!
"She couldn't! Sure, she couldn't! Because.. she would endanger your lives!" The pretender addressed Syd and Broots "Think about it! Think about Parker! BEFORE her house burnt! What would have happened if she was disappeared THEN, with the child?"
"Well." Broots began "There would have been inquiries, checks and interrogatories, most of all to her coworkers.. " Broots voice faded away realizing what he was saying.
"The T-board." Jarod nodded "You two would have ended up in front of the T-board and nothing could have saved you. Working side by side like you did in the last years, who on earth would believe you didn't know anything about her escape?"
The pretender was pacing again back and forth, one hand moving in the air to underline his words "That's why she pushed all of you away, remember Syd? You said she didn't let you get close to her, she was changed, merciless and cold like never before. Parker had to persuade everyone here, that you, Broots, Sam were out of her life definitively! So, after her disappearances you wouldn't have been considered her accomplices!"
Sydney shook his head, shocked "She aimed her gun at me! I was SURE she would have killed me to catch you, Jarod and it was only a pretend!"
Jarod looked straight in Syd's eyes "Yeah, since the fire of her house, Parker has pretended all the time. To protect you Syd, and Broots, his daughter, Sam, Angelo.. and even me."
Broots almost laughed "Taking you back? A strange way to protect you, Jarod!"
"Think about it, Broots! Parker needed the total attention of the Centre.. "
"Needed?!?" Asked Broots but Jarod didn't answer and went on.
"Since I was here, the Centre concentrated its search on her forgetting all the rest. Hell! I was left alone for weeks in that cell!"
Malcom began to get tired "Jarod! Cut short!"
"The Centre was much too worried about getting back Parker and the child, so they let go all the checks and recordings they usually did when I was free. So Parker had no trouble infiltrating the mainframe, re-programming the security system with a new password and sending all she found to you feds."
"Someone could notice what she was doing." Fran objected.
"And why? No-one knew she had the skills to do such things. Not even us!"
"So, Parker wanted to take down the Centre." Sydney felt a little confused. "What could have persuaded her to do it? The fire?"
"I don't think so." Jarod answered "She closed that old bank account a month before the fire and that means Parker was already planning to go away, she only was waiting for the right moment. The fire of her house.. well, it had to be the last drop. She felt trapped probably and she had to accelerate the time before it was too late."
Malcom made an annoyed gesture "But too late for what?"
Jarod looked up trying to focus "I.. don't know. Something went off in her mind, but.. I don't know what. I know only that I have to find her. Parker and the child."


end part 4

Feedback: ste.piro@inwind.it
5 by Stefi
Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Thanks to Ra-chell!

The Arabian Phoenix part 5
By Stefi

Finding someone who doesn't want to be found is not the easiest thing to do.
Once again, Jarod and Broots checked in the mainframe, hoping to find a trace, only one, to begin a search about Parker, but she had cleaned everything. Again they explored in the Web, checking airlines and hiring cars, bank accounts, new and old, but, apparently, Parker didn't take planes nor hiring a car and neither drawing money.
"Well" Broots sighed "She has to having changed her name and found a job, paid in cash, unless she had enough money on that old account of her mother to live on a private income"
"When I found it out, there was a good amount of money. I don't think she took it in cash, a cheque would be more safe. Or she made it transferring in another account" Jarod stared the screen, thoughtful, as Broots stifled a yawn.
"Tired, my friend?"
"You can bet it" the tech stroke his eyes "What do we do? Do you know how many accounts are transferred everyday? And how difficult is entering in a bank database?"
Jarod laughed "It cannot be more difficult than entering in the Centre's one!"
Broots admitted "That is true"
In a few minutes, the two were in the bank mainframe where Parker had had the account and Jarod couldn't hide his disappointment, seeing the results.
"No transferring. She closed it and that's all" Broots glanced at his friend, feeling sorry for him.
"Blind alleys. Clues that take you nowhere" Jarod was feeling his rage growing inside "It seems that Miss Parker wants giving me tit for tat" Abruptly, he stood up, throwing back the chair.
"Jarod" Broots tried to calm him down "You'll see, something will come out"
"No Broots, you're wrong! We'll find nothing! She'll never let us find her, Parker wants to take me away from her, from my child! I'll never see him!"
"But what are you saying, Jarod? Why should she?"
"Because she hates me!" Jarod was shouting, by now "She hates me to such a point to make everything to hurt me and break me!"
Broots shook his bald head, skeptical "No Jarod" he talked calmly "I think YOU are wrong. She doesn't hate you. There's no hate in her heart, you told me this, once. And she took away the child from the Centre, not from you"
"And then why I don't manage to find her! She went away without a word, an hint!"
"There's surely a trace, somewhere" Broots insisted "Only that we don't see it. Not yet."
Jarod picked up the chair and sat down again. He wasn't persuaded by Broots words: Parker had many reasons to hate him, and he couldn't blame her for that.
The tech patted him lightly on the shoulder "Come on, Jarod. In some days, your father and the boy will be here, and with their help, we'll find her."
"Go to rest, Broots" Jarod answered with a sigh "I'll go on, here, a little longer"
Broots wanted denying his own tiredness, but he realized that Jarod needed to be alone. So, the tech stood up and went to the door, but turning the handle, he asked softly "It isn't only about the child, is it? It's about her. You want her."
Jarod didn't turn "But she would never want one like me"
The phone on the desk rang and Broots came back to answer.
"Yeah?" he listened, frowning "Okay, okay. We are coming."
"Some news?" Jarod asked as Broots hang up the receiver.
"The feds have found something, but maybe not!" was the tech's reply.
The pretender stared at him, puzzled "What? Or they've found something, or they didn't."
"Let's go. They're waiting for us."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The techroom, SL-5


"I don't think it could be useful, you know?" Malcom was saying as Broots and Jarod entered in the room.
"Maybe not" Fran replied "But- Jarod! You're here. George, make him see!"
George, the agent sat at the desk, explained "One of the latest sendings was coming from this part of the States. Our techs tried to find more, but nothing to do" he sighed "I'm sorry, I know it's not much."
Jarod and Broots examined the map on the screen: south-east countries.
"Parker could be in Carolina, north or south, or in Georgia, or maybe in Florida" Fran said.
"She could be in Tennessee too, then, or in Virginia" Sydney's voice from behind made them turn around.
"No" George denied "Maybe Tennessee, but it's unlikely. Virginia not. Excluded."
The shrink shook his head "But it's like looking for a needle in an haystack, anyway!"
"It's right what I'm saying, too!" Malcom intervened but Jarod was sitting in George's place, in front of the screen.
"Better than nothing" he said "At least, we limited the search to few states."
Malcom stared at his friend "Do you intend searching house by house?" This man was crazy!
"If it's the only way" Jarod answered, typing on the keyboard and Broots took place beside him, watching the changes on the screen.
Sydney and Fran stared the screen, them too, but Malcom insisted "These are tracks not so news, your Parker could be gone since months!"
"I try anyway" was Jarod's reply.
He was studying the screen and Broots said "It's like when we were searching for Damon, remember?"
The pretender nodded, sighing "Yeah! But at least, we had the co-ordinates, then!"
Something hit Broots mind. He frowned, muttering "Co-ordinates?"
Jarod turned to look at him "What?"
The tech checked the map on the screen, thoughtfully "Maybe.. maybe we have them!" Jarod exchanged puzzled looks with Sydney, as Broots went to the desk and began to search among sheets and notes.
He took a sheet, reading again and again: the first numbers could coincide, could it be possible.. ?
Broots sat again beside Jarod "Type this list of numbers!"
Jarod gave a look to the list "The password?!?"
"What password?" Malcom asked.
"The one Parker used to infiltrate in the Centre's mainframe" Syd explained, as Jarod typed the numbers.
The map on the screen enlarged beyond measure, framing quickly at first a state, then a town, then a street, and at last a building.
No-one talked for several seconds. Jarod let exit the breath he was holding and began giggling "Good grief! She sent us her address!"
"Yeah, and completed with civic number!" Broots added, him too laughing. Syd said nothing but smiled.
"It seems to me it's a little absurd" Fran made notice "Using her position as password could be really dangerous. And what if someone else would find it out?"
"Not possible" Jarod answered "Parker knew well that Broots was the only one who could do it!" he patted the tech's shoulder "Great job, Broots! First, you decode the password, then you find out its real meaning. Are you sure not to be a pretender, you too?"
"What do you think?" Broots protested. Fran was smiling warmly to him and the tech blushed "The truth is that I only had an idea about those numbers, that's all!"
"Oh, are we modest, aren't we?" Malcom mocked him. That Broots was smart!
Everyone was laughing and patting him on the back, but Broots stopped them "Really, it's not thanks to me, you know, I didn't decode the password. SHE did it"
"You mean.. Parker?" Syd smiled.
"I had only three of the numbers, and I was tired, so I went for a coffee, and when I came back.. the password was there, on the screen. Saved, too." The others were staring at him, and Broots shook his hands, as if to calling himself out "Hey, listen, I never said I decoded it!"
"You said you found it" Jarod accused him playfully.
"And yes!, I found it! On the screen!"
Fran began to laugh and so the others. She smiled to Broots and repeated Jarod's words "Great job, anyway you did it!"
Jarod wrote fast on a sheet "Now we have a track. Let's go!"
Syd and Broots moved together toward the door but Malcom's voice stopped them "Hey! Just a moment! Where do you think you're going? You two are under surveillance!"
Fran snorted "Robert! They are not running away! They only want to find their friend!"
"Rob, please" Jarod asked "It's important we find Parker!"
Broots added "If you want, I'll stay here. There are so many things to do.. "
"And you can come with us" Syd completed "So you can checking on me!"
The shrink wasn't annoyed anymore by Malcom's attitude: working by his side, Syd had understood that the fed was an honest man, who made his work with passion and still believed in justice. He had only a really bad temper!
"That's right!" Malcom said "I'm curious to know this Parker of yours!"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Columbia, South Carolina

Jarod parked the car and the three men got out. They stayed still some seconds, staring the building in front of them.
"A fast-food? Are you sure about the address?" Syd asked to Jarod, who nodded, a little puzzled him too.
"Judging by what you told me about Parker, it's not her style" Malcom commented and Jarod nodded again.
"Yes, in fact. But the address is right. I hope we'll find something"
They entered inside and sat at a table. It wasn't exactly a fast-food, more a motel with a little restaurant, with few waitresses and probably with only one cook. It was really ordinary: like Malcom said, not Parker-style.
Jarod feared it was another dead-end.
One of the waitresses approached them "What can I bring to you?" she asked politely.
The men stared at each other "Oh, coffee" Jarod answered.
"Three coffees?" the girl smiled "Anything else?"

"No, thank you"
The waitress went away and Jarod sighed. Sydney held his hand.
"C'mon Jarod" he said calmly.
The pretender nodded "It's only that.. "
"I know it" the shrink whispered "But we'll find her."
Malcom said nothing but sighed. Ah, love! What a beautiful and awful thing!
The waitress came back with their coffees "Here!" and she put a cup in front of each one.
"Please.. " Jarod glanced the tag on her shirt ".. Julie, I know that certainly you see a lot of people coming and going, but.. " he took something from his pocket ".. have you ever seen this woman?" he showed her a Parker's picture "She is tall and thin. And there's a child with her."
Julie took the picture and watched it carefully. Then, her look slid from one man to the other, stopping it on Jarod.
"Are you policemen?" she asked with a low voice.
"No" Sydney answered kindly "We are her friends. We haven't her news since months and we are really worried. Can you help us?"
The girl bit her lips, then she put the picture down on the table. "Just a moment" she said and went in the kitchen.
Malcom drank from his cup and pointing the kitchen with his head, he stated "She saw her"
"I hope it" Jarod sighed. Syd patted lightly his hand.
The kitchen's door opened and an old man with an apron appeared with Julie after him. The girl said something and together, they approached the three men.
"Julie, here, said that you are searching for someone" the old man didn't seem anxious to help them.
"That woman" Malcom indicated the picture on the table "Have you seen her?"
The man stroke his hands in the apron and took the picture. Then, like the girl did before, he stared the men one by one.
His look stopped some seconds on Malcom, recognizing him like an agent, despite of Malcom's nonchalance. Then, was Jarod's turn to be observed and the pretender felt hostility in that gaze.
"Are you the father of that child?"
Jarod jumped on his chair, dumbfound by the question "Yes" he answered "The baby is my son. Then you saw them!"

"Yeah" the cook admitted unwillingness "They stayed here for some months. We rent some rooms, you know. But they're gone. Two, three weeks ago"
"And where? Did she say it?" Sydney asked.
"No."
Jarod felt his heart breaking for despair "Did she leave something? A note, a-"
"Are you deaf or what? She went away, with her child and that's all!"
Julie grabbed the man's arm "Dad, please.. " she offered a smile to Jarod, hoping he excused her father's attitude, but Malcom was already losing his patience.
"Hey, what's your name?"
"Stan!" the cook gave him a bad look.
"Okay Stan. Can we give a look to her room?"
"And what do you think to find? My daughters clean all the rooms every day!"
Sydney intervened kindly "Please, it's important for us. Can you show us the room?"
Stan hesitated, then shrugged "Hey Sue!" he called a girl who was cleaning a table "We go upstairs" Sue nodded and the group of people went on the stairs, at the end of the room.
The room was like every other room of motels, Jarod saw a lot of them and he couldn't believe that Parker had lived there.
"I know what you're thinking" Stan said "It's not a luxury room. But it's clean and quiet. She was clearly a lady, you know what I mean, but it was clear that she was hiding, too. And this is the right place for that!"
Jarod and Malcom took few minutes to check everything. In the room there was only a bed, a little table with a chair, a wardrobe. Nothing else. The bathroom was even smaller.
But they found nothing, and Jarod felt like crying.
"Are you sure she never said where she intended to go?"
"No" Stan was openly hostile "And telling the truth, if she would say it, I wouldn't tell you!"
"Dad, please!" Julie begged.
Jarod had it enough "But what the hell have you against me?" he shouted "You don't know me at all!"
"I know you enough to say what kind of man are you!" Stan shouted back "You left a woman alone, with a little child in her arms and a second one ready to come!! Excuse me, sir!, if I have a bad opinion about you!"
Jarod stared at Stan, his eyes opened wide "A SECOND ONE?"
He turned to Syd and Malcom, but they were shocked not less than him.
"S-Stan, please, are you.. are you saying Parker.. she is pregnant?"
Father and daughter exchanged looks, then Stan shrugged "Well, she was it. I think the baby will be born, since then"
"Didn't she tell you?" Julie asked kindly "That she was expecting another child?"
"No, my God!, no, I didn't know it!" Jarod paced back and forth, like an animal in a cage "I have to find her! But how can I do? Parker left nothing, nothing! How can I do to find her?"
"Jarod, calm down!" Syd grabbed the arm of his protégé but Jarod refused to listen "Sydney, explain to me how can I calm down! A family, Syd, MY family! All I ever wanted in my life was a family! With Parker! And I have it! But I can't reach for them!"
Malcom intervened "Jarod, you have to keep your head. We are come up to here, we'll find something else to going on. Believe it!" Jarod stared in his friend's eyes and nodded.
"Well.. " the faltering voice of Julie made them turning ".. as a matter of fact.. she left something"
"What? And why didn't you say it?" Stan scolded his daughter.
"I thought she forgot it" Julie explained "But, thinking about it, maybe she left it on purpose" she looked at Jarod "for you".
"But what?" the pretender asked "What did she leave here?"
The girl made a gesture with her hand, as if to say 'wait!', and she exited to come back in few seconds.
"Here!" she said, handing a red notebook.
Jarod took it: a red notebook! Parker learnt well the lesson!
Stan bit his lips, maybe he was wrong judging this guy like a son of bitch.
"Well" he said taking his daughter's hand "We two have to go downstairs. When you'll finish, here, lock the door and take me the key!"
The three men didn't realize they were alone, Syd came closer to Jarod and after some seconds Malcom too got near them.
Jarod opened the notebook to find clippings glued on the pages:
'A secret organization stole gifted children', 'Horrors house in Delaware', 'Dismantled a powerful organization spoiling children'.
Malcom frowned "I thought press was taken away from this story"
"Obviously, some reporter found it out" Jarod checked the articles and the pictures "That's the evidence that proves Broots theory: Parker is the informer"
"Yeah" Sydney sighed "And that's the reason we searched to explain her attitude. Parker realized to be pregnant and.. " the shrink was beside himself "The Centre really overstepped the mark, this time!"
"What are you talking about?" Malcom asked.
"But it's clear, Malcom! They did it again! What they did with Brigitte, they did it with Parker!" Sydney tried not to shout, but rage was difficult to control "And that son of bitch of Parker! How could he do such a thing to his own daughter?"
"Do you think they made her?" Malcom was closing and opening his fists. During his career, he saw a lot of things, bad things, but this one.. God!
"I don't think the Centre has something to do with this second child" Jarod intervened quietly.
"Oh, you can bet it the Centre has it!" Syd replied "But Parker found out all their dirty plans and decided to take them down!"
"Yeah" Malcom approved "And Jarod, you can be sure this one too is your child!"
"I'm sure of it, the baby is mine, yes. But not because of the Centre" Jarod put the notebook on the little table and went to the window.
Sydney stared at him, with a puzzled look "Jarod! What do you mean? Obviously, the Centre used your sperm-" Jarod denied, shaking his head.
"I think.. " the pretender seemed unable to find the right words ".. to be.. ME.. " he swallowed ".. getting her.. pregnant.."
A deep sigh: he said it!
Syd and Malcom exchanged looks, then the fed tried "You mean.. by the old-fashion way?"
Jarod closed his eyes and nodded, slowly.
Sydney had his eyes out of his head "Jarod! You and Parker.. ? You two.. are lovers.. ?"
"Lovers!" Jarod had a bitter laugh "It happened only once and.. I'm not proud of it" he looked down at his own feet, feeling on him the questioning look of his mentor.
"Jarod.. I don't understand.. " Syd put his hand on Jarod's shoulder to make him turn around, but without success: the pretender stayed turned toward the window.
"I.. I took advantage of her" he whispered, eventually.
Sydney sat slowly on the bed, incredulous "Jarod, please, don't tell me.. you-" the shrink shook his head, he didn't want not even think about it! "You're not saying you.. forced.. raped her.. are you?"
Jarod hadn't the courage to turn and look Sydney in the eyes.
On the other side, Sydney was waiting, hoping for some reassuring words: Jarod would NEVER do such a thing! But then, why he didn't answer?
"It's.. " Jarod took a deep breath ".. as if I did it, Syd"
"But how, why?" the elder man searched for an explanation, a reason, but what reason can be for a thing like that?
"I don't know!" Jarod cut himself off. What right had he to get angry? He turned toward his friends but still didn't look at them.
"I was trying to contact her, all the evening, but she didn't answer to the phone. I knew she was at home, and I knew she wasn't.. okay, these days. She drank a lot. She drank too much."
Jarod leant on the wall "I went to her home, only to check on her, nothing else, I swear! It was only that I was so worried about her and.. she was there, lain on the couch, with that shirt of Thomas in her hands, totally drunk! There were two empty bottles, a glass on the carpet, God knows how much she drank! Her eyes were open but.. she didn't see me, I think maybe she didn't realize I was there" Jarod was silent for some seconds: now, there was the hardest part to confess "I wished only to make her feeling better, helping her. To see her in that conditions.. so desperate, so unhappy.. " Jarod shook his head, he was going around "I have no excuses. She was drunk and she didn't know what she said or.. But I knew it! I knew I should have gone but.. she kept on crying, begging me not to leave her, like everyone else did, and I didn't manage to think anymore and.. and I stayed" At last, Jarod looked at Sydney "Then she fell asleep and I ran away. Literally"
Syd nodded slowly "I remember that for two weeks, you didn't call nor anything else. Did it happen then?" he said.
"Yes." Jarod nodded "I didn't have the courage to call! I felt such a coward, a worm! Then, an evening, I called her, sure to be covered by insults and instead.. she said nothing about it. She was the same of everyday, bitter, aggressive, but not a word was said about.. that night" he looked down at his feet "And so, I realized she didn't recall it. Parker was so drunk that, maybe, she thought to have dreamt or even that I was him.. Thomas"
Malcom, who had stayed silent till then, intervened "Yes, maybe it's so but.. Jarod, in the moment she knew to be pregnant, well, she had to realize that.. it wasn't a dream, don't you think?"
"Yes, Malcom. Parker knew to be expecting my child and she didn't say it to me" Jarod said bitterly "I know I have no right on her, after.. what I did. But keeping me away from my children is a revenge too much cruel! I never thought Parker would do this to me!"
"Jarod, I don't think it's all about a revenge" Sydney was stroking his own chin, thoughtfully "No, I think Parker said nothing as a precaution. We asked 'why', remember? Why Parker decided to take down the Centre! We have the answer: because she was expecting a child, YOUR child, Jarod. What would have done the Centre, when they would have found it out? We have this answer, too. And Parker knew well that the Centre would have never left her alone, they would have gone after her everywhere. Taking them down was the only way out."
Malcom nodded, persuaded, and Sydney held his protegee's shoulder "Jarod, all Parker did, she did it to protect us. You said this, remember? She never thought to take away your children"
"How can you be sure of that?" Jarod stared at Sydney. He wished to believe it, that Parker..
"Think about it!" Syd shook him lightly "She knew you would have searched for her. She knows you'll find her"
"But how, Syd?"
"The red notebook! She left it, the same way, for the same reason YOU left it for us!" the shrink took the notebook and handed it to Jarod "It has to be some tracks, in it. Otherwise, why leave it here?"
Jarod looked at Sydney, then at Malcom.
Again, they read the clippings. Jarod sighed, feeling foiled.
"There's nothing here!"
"Wait! Check the other pages!" Malcom suggested.
Jarod turned over the pages, one by one.
"And this?" Sydney asked.
There was a weird drawing in the two last pages. A red line that started with a little arrow from the low corner, on the right: then it went on the left, almost horizontal, then it rounded to go up till the high corner on the left, with a little circle to close it.
"It seems.. " Malcom tried ".. don't know, a way to follow?"
Jarod looked at him, frowning.
The fed explained "Well, you see, this line begins with an arrow and it ends with a circle, so.. " he shrugged "Maybe it's a foolish idea"
But Jarod didn't listen, he was staring the red line and following it with a finger.
In his mind, he saw a little hand drawing that line with a red pen, as the voice of a young Miss Parker said: 'Don't worry, Jarod. You'll always know where to find me'.
The other two were staring at him, understanding the trace was found.
"Jarod" Syd called him, calmly "Does it mean anything to you?"
And Jarod smiled, nodding "Yeah. Yes Syd, I know where she is"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

A little, special town in Canada

Jarod parked the car on a side of the street and grabbed the ringing cell.
"Yeah?"
"It's Broots, Jarod. I found three addresses of people who moved to that town in the last month"
"Just a sec, Broots" Jarod found a pen in the dashboard and wrote the addresses on the red notebook Parker left.
"Sorry, I can't be more precise, the names of those people say nothing to me"
"Neither to me" Jarod commented "But they are only three. It won't take much time to check them"
"I found other two addresses" the tech's voice cracked lightly through the phone "But I think it's unlikely they have something to do with Parker"
"Check them anyway, Broots, okay? Syd and Malcom, have they arrived?"
"Not yet, but they are close and so your father and the boy"
"Great! They'll give you an hand with your job"
"Yeah, I need it!" Broots laughed "And.. Jarod? Keep us informed, okay?"
"Okay, my friend. Thanks" The line went dead.
Jarod took a map of the town and searched the addresses Broots gave him: the first was to east, almost out of town; the second was near there, and the last was near too, southward.
He decided to begin with the second address, the nearest, so he left the car and walked along the street.
The day was sunny and warm, but Jarod didn't notice it, too taken by his own thoughts. He crossed the street and turned on the right, two other blocks, then on the left.
The second address was there. Jarod checked the civic numbers: 16, 14.. He had to found the number 8.
Along the way, Jarod looked at the surroundings: it was a nice street, quiet and clean, with little houses on the both sides, trees and flowers along the side-walks.
The number 10! 8 was the next!
The pretender didn't know if running away or toward. He felt the same every time he had found some lead on his mother or sister: he looked forward to hug them, but, at the same time, he feared another dead end.
As he was there, the door of number 8 opened up and a woman went out, with a little bundle in her arms.
Jarod felt his heart crushing: she wasn't Parker!
That woman was tall but not so thin, her hair was auburn but picked up somehow on the nape of the neck, and her clothes! A blue-jeans, a shirt, gym shoes!
Definitively, this woman had nothing to do with Parker!
And yet, Jarod kept staring at her, feeling something familiar, although he couldn't see her clearly, because of a pair of sun-glasses that covered her face.
The woman was putting the bundle in a pram, with motherly care, and Jarod caught a glimpse of a microscopic, puffy hand. Then she straightened and smiled to the baby.
And Jarod recognized that smile: she wasn't Parker, not the Parker he knew.
No more miniskirts, no more stiletto heels, no more Ice Queen.
That woman was the Parker she should have been!
Jarod stayed there, like an idiot, staring at her, when he realized Parker was going away. He decided to follow her along the street, and taking a little more time before revealing his presence.
They went on for awhile, then suddenly, Parker turned her head back. Jarod jumped aside, hiding behind an huge bush. Had she seen him?
Parker looked in front of her again, then turned again her head, at last she crossed the street. Jarod almost fainted: she was only checking if it was the right moment to cross the road!
(Wait a moment! Where is she going?) Jarod ran to reach for her to find her only few steps before him, on the other side-walk.
Again, Jarod followed Parker, his eyes glued on her, until she vanished inside a building.
The man stayed still, without knowing what to do. Had he to follow her inside? What kind of place was that?
Jarod moved a little closer, without crossing the street, and found out that it was a nursery-school.
A nursery-school?
Suddenly, Jarod recalled the first child.
"But he's too young!" he muttered. Then, he realized that months had passed since Parker left the Centre. The baby was one year and half, more or less.
Parker came out from the school, with the pram and a little child, toddling beside her. He was gesticulating and laughing, as he was telling Parker some incredible adventure.
Jarod looked at them, delighting in that sight.
A woman came and stopped to talk with Parker, who smiled and nodded to whatever the woman was saying.
The child stayed there to listen, but he was bored, it was clear!, and he began to look around, searching something to do.
And his eyes crossed Jarod's eyes.
The little boy smiled widely and waved his hand to him.
Jarod felt puzzled, the child knew him?, then the puzzlement became panic: the child was grabbing and pulling Parker's shirt, to gain her attention. She said goodbye to the woman and listened to the baby, who pointed his finger on Jarod.
For some seconds, they stayed still, to look each other.
Then Parker took her child's hand and crossed the street, toward Jarod.
The pretender tried to breathe regularly, but the truth was that he was terrified. Would have Parker killed him? Would she have spat all her scorn on him? Would she have destroyed him with her hate, leaving him alone and desperate?
She was there, in front of him, a fist on her hip.
(C'mon, make it over!)
Parker lowered her sunglasses on her nose and smirked.
"About time, Wonderboy!"
Those weren't the words Jarod expected to hear her saying!
"Excuse me?" he asked, dumbfounded.
"It took you a lot of time to get to here! Maybe the tracks I left were too difficult to understand? A genius like you!"
The child pulled again her shirt and asked her "Daddy?"
Parker stroke his hair tenderly "Yeah Sweetheart, daddy is here, at last!"
The baby laughed, clapping his hands "Hi daddy! I'm Charlie!" and he jumped to be taken in his father's arms.
Jarod found himself surrounded by two little arms. He hadn't understood a lot, but cuddled the child, his son!, with all the love he could.
Parker was staring at them, still smirking.
Jarod saw tiredness on her face, pale and with some little wrinkle, Hell!, two babies give a lot to do!, but she looked serene, relaxed and her eyes were bright, warm, alive!
He smiled shyly and Parker returned with a real, warm smile.
Sydney was right, she knew Jarod could find her, she WANTED him to find her.
There were so many things to talk about, explanations, questions but it didn't matter, for that moment.
All he cared was the child in his arms, Parker and..
Jarod made him closer to the pram and looked inside.
Charlie, with an hug, had won his father's heart but the sleeping baby stole it away, literally.
"She is Cat" Charlie introduced proudly. Then, shrugging, he added "She always sleeps"
"Not for long, I'm afraid" Parker informed, checking her watch "We have to be at home within ten minutes, before she begins to cry for lunch, so.. " she moved the pram ".. let's go!"
"Let's go?" Jarod asked, still upside down "Go.. where?"
Parker gave him one of those Ice Queen-looks of her, above the sunglasses.
"At home, Wonderboy!"

The End

Feedback: ste.piro@inwind.it
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=967