Ghosts From the Past by Haiza Tyri
Summary: A series of drabbles inspired by "Ghosts from the Past."
Categories: Character Musing, Anything/Miscellaneous, Season 4 Characters: Jarod, Miss Parker, Other Non-Centre Related Character
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Character Musing, Drama, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Episode Drabbles
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 432 Read: 4228 Published: 22/06/09 Updated: 18/08/09
Story Notes:

"Ghosts from the Past" became one of my favorite episodes the moment I watched it. It inspired a lot of great thoughts. "The state of being about to be shot" is also part of them.

1. Not one of us by Haiza Tyri

2. The state of being about to be shot: 2 perspectives by Haiza Tyri

3. Pray for all of us by Haiza Tyri

Not one of us by Haiza Tyri

Not one of us

            Luke could almost have laughed in relief, if the situation had not been so desperate. Of course! Jarod! The man had worried him from the start. All the boys worried him, they were so eager to hurt and destroy. But Luke could see darkness in Jarod, a depth of anger and pain that went beyond the others’. He was afraid of what this dark horse might do. And then he was the one who kept trying to leave.

            But learning Jarod was another undercover agent—then it all became clear. He looked the General in the eyes. “Let me do it.”

The state of being about to be shot: 2 perspectives by Haiza Tyri
Author's Notes:
Two different perspectives on what might have been going through Jarod's head as he waited for Luke to kill him.

The state of being about to be shot

          This is it, the end. How can this be the end? How can thirty years of suffering and four of freedom, discovery, and more suffering end like this, out here in the dark, kneeling in a creek, by a shotgun in the hands of a white supremacist? How can this be the end?

            I’ve failed. I haven’t found all my answers. I’m still separated from people who love me. I’ve failed. Failed? No, not failed. I’ve lived. I’ve helped people. I’ve saved lives, saved families, given others what I’ve never had. I haven’t failed.

            Our Father, who art in heaven…


 

 Or, on the other hand...

            The moment Luke volunteered to kill him, Jarod knew the truth, astonished that he hadn’t seen it before. But he hadn’t tried to become Luke. He’d become a white supremacist, fanatical, loyal, stupid, not questioning the leader. The man had been perfect.

            The moment between Luke’s offer and Bartlett’s acceptance stretched unbearably long. Neither could show his fear, or his relief. But then Luke was so realistic as he dragged Jarod out to the creek. The moment of kneeling in the water, with the man and his shotgun behind him, was suddenly full of fear. What if he’d been wrong?

Pray for all of us by Haiza Tyri

Pray for all of us 

            “Well, ma’am, it’s my hope and prayer that one day Bartlett will choose to end the hate and start the healing that only love and forgiveness can bring.”

            The world went still around Pastor Jones’ words. How could he say them? Bartlett had tried to kill his two little daughters! Bartlett hated him for his skin, for nothing at all! Bartlett had made his life hell! He should hate him. He should want to kill him. How could he say them?

            And why did his expression say he wasn’t talking about Bartlett at all?

            “Better pray for all of us.”

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=5398