The New Runaways: A Journey For Family by Jaded_Angel
Summary: Two teens escape during the night and are now on a quest to find out who they are, along with learning about this new world. While staying one step ahead of the Centre, just who their family really is may surprise you
Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: All the characters, Original Character
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 11779 Read: 15060 Published: 24/06/08 Updated: 06/07/08

1. Chapter 1 by Jaded_Angel

2. Chapter 2 by Jaded_Angel

3. Chapter 3 by Jaded_Angel

4. Chapter 4 by Jaded_Angel

5. Chapter 4b by Jaded_Angel

6. Chapter 5 by Jaded_Angel

Chapter 1 by Jaded_Angel
Author's Notes:

A/N  <> ~~thoughts ~~

Please read and review as there always welcomed and appreciated.

 

It had taken the two teenagers awhile to climb through the air vents, it was night time when they finally reached the surface, the two decided to rest for a moment after their long climb to freedom.

They lay down on the grass and stared up at the night sky for the very first time. The sky was lit with an array of stars, there wasn't a single cloud in sight and the moon glowed like nothing they had ever seen before in their lives, it was different to the lights inside the place they just came from. It gave them hope that things would be different here.

Just then they heard the alarms go off inside, they have been discovered missing.

The two of them jumped up from where they had been resting and ran through the field as fast as they could.

Finally reaching a road they paused for a second before deciding to follow it, they ran until they were both out of breath, so then they walked knowing that they couldn't afford to stop.

Just then from out of nowhere a car comes driving up behind them, they briefly turn to look at the approaching car but continue to walk at a faster pace than before.  

"Jess you don't think it could be from .." the boy asked trying to hide fear in his voice.

"From the Centre, no they'd have speed up by now" the girl answered knowing that they are now in clear viewing distance of the driver.

The car drives right pass them and the teens continue to walk down the road. Just then the car stops and reverses back and stops beside them, inside they see a woman in her late thirties, she unbuckles her seat belt and leans over to the passenger side and rolls down the window slightly.

"Hi there you kids in need of a lift?" the woman asks smiling warmly.

The two look to each other before the girl answers for them. 

"Actually we do thanks for stopping for us"

"Hey don't worry about it, now you guys hop in" She says and then reaches over to the back door and pulls up the lock.

They both get seated into the back and put their seatbelts on as the woman starts to drive away.

"Oh my now where are my manners my name's Connie may are ask what your names are?"

"Well my name is Nathan and my twin sister Jessica" the boy tells her.

~~Hey I can answer for myself don't you know~~

<>

"So where can I drop you to off at I'm going as far as Dover" Connie asks unaware of the private conversation that had just gone on.

Just then a road sign passes by which reads Glen Hope next exit.

"Well that's ok were staying in the next town"

~~Was that fast enough for you?~~ She asked in his mind wanting to stick her tongue out at him but didn't, knowing that this act would seem a little strange to Connie if she were to look in the rearview mirror at that very second.

"So what were you kids doing out there by yourself?"

"We're here on vacation and we decided to go on a little road trip but my brother here forgot to check that the car had enough gas in it before we left"

<> he says sulking slightly.

~~Oh come on now don't pout just because you know my ways more believable~~

"You know I don't usually pick up hitch hikers, you never know what might happed when you let a stranger into your car. But something told me that you guys needed my help" Connie honestly informs them.

"Thank you for stopping otherwise we'd still be walking" Nathan thanks her again.

"And the Centre would have caught up with us by now" the thought rang through both their minds.

"Hey you kids don't mind if I turn the radio on?" she asks lighting the mood.

They just shake their heads in reply, as the two had never been aloud to listen to a radio before much less music, so they were both egger to have this be their first new experience in the outside world. 

 

 

When nothing goes your way, your heart begins to fade,

However hard you try, the problems seem endless.

It's your own bed you made, not gonna go away,

You just break down and cry, must be a way out of there.

No use feeling sorry for yourself, coz you've got something else.

 

Hope, there's gotta be a little bit in you and me,

Hope, the only way we're gonna keep our sanity.

Hope, there's gotta be a little bit in you and me,

Whatever it takes, hold on, keep riding through the storm.

 

Don't dream of giving up, don't dream of giving in,

Just try to keep your head, the answers are within you.

Don't think of losing heart it's tearing you apart,

Just gotta carry on, you know you can get through.

No use feeling sorry for yourself, coz you've got something else.

 

 

They stared out of the windows of the car just watching the scenery go by, not that they could really see anything clearly in the dark, but it was all so new to them they didn't care. It also gave them time to think about the recent event that had happened and think about what they would do when they got out of the car.

"Ok so where would you like me to stop?" She asks as she pulls into the main street of Glen Hope.

"Umm.. oh here's good for us" Jessica answers, caught slightly off guard as the song still playing in her head.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drop you off at your hotel?" Concern for their safety being out on the streets this late at night.

"No really here's ok for us it's not that far to walk to" Nathan says hoping that she will be happy with his response and let them leave.

"Ok well I better let you two go now as I'm sure your folks must be getting worried and wondering were you two are by now, goodbye and get home safe"

"Goodbye Connie thanks for the lift" Jessica replies.

"I hope so too" they both think as Connie drives away.

Chapter 2 by Jaded_Angel

They had learned so much about living in this strange and wonderful new world in the few short months since the escape they decided to settle down somewhere and find out more about what it was like to live a normal life.

 

"Well here seems like a good enough high school than any for us to lead a normal teen life"

"What's so great about normal anyway?" Nathan asks sarcastically rolling his eyes.

"Shut up and lets get enrolled in school already" I say as I push him gently up the stairs.


"All right well everything seems to be in order here. I just need to get in contact with your old school so we can get a copy of your school records. So I can have a better understanding of where we can place you both that well benefit you both in your learning career and well see you live up to your full ability here" Principal Kilsby told them.

"Well we just happen to have our records here already, if that helps in any way?" I say taking two manila folders out of my red courier bag.

"Well good that saves us both a lot in time" he says as he takes the two folders out of Jessica's hand.

"Hmm I must say that both your files are very impressive, I can see that you both well benefit in being placed in some of our more advanced classes. Tell me have either of you thought about college?" he continues after taking a moment to skim through the twin's files.

"Well I.. um.. I mean we both really haven't given it much thought" Nathan answers awkwardly to the question, as he doesn't think they'll be in town that long.

"I see well I suggest that you should have a chat with our career advisor Mrs. Jan Wright"  

"We'll think about it" I say.

"Good well I'll finish up with finalizing your enrolment to our school and I'll see you off to your first class"


After a futile day in Nathan's mind of playing smart but not outstandingly gifted teens. They both decided that they would go and check out the place to be seen on a Friday or Saturday night from the friends that they had effortlessly made in the first few hours of school a club called Reborn.

 

"Hey look it's the new guys from school Jess and what's his name" Chris says remembering them from when they had walked in the library during one of their study group and from later talking to his friend Blake who had been asked to give them a tour of the school.

"Looks to me like you've fallen for her Chris. Why don't you go over there and ask her to dance or something? I dare you" He says egging his friend on.

"Na it's just my luck that she's taken" trying to hide the disappointment in his voice as he look over and sees them dancing.

"Well let's go over there and find out" undeterred by the scene.

"Mike no! Mike! Damn it" he yells reluctantly following.

Pushing his way through the crowd Chris made it just in time to here Mike ask them a question.

"Hey you guys are new here?" Mike asks struggling slightly to be heard over the music.

"Yeah I'm Nathan but you can call me Nate and this is my sister Jessica"

"Jess for short" slightly eyeing the other guy who's looking slightly unease.

The one who started the conversation shoots his friend a smug look before introducing each other.

"Well I'm Mike and this goofball here is my best bud Chris" he says jokingly.

"Hey! Your a bigger goofball than I am" Chris says slightly annoyed that his mate would say something like that to a girl that he likes. 

<<"Hey Jess I think Chris likes you>> he teasingly sings.

~~Shut up Nate ~~

"Well I'm gonna go and get a drink you want anything Jess?" turning to look at his sister.

"Yeah sure a coke would be good" ~~ Just what are you up to? ~~ flashing him a questioning look.

"Hey wait I'll come with you" Mike says as they quickly make their way through the crowd to the nearest bar.

Jessica could clearly see the surprised what are you doing look Chris gave to Mike before he left which amused her and caused her to smile. 

"So why do I get the feeling that there trying to ditch us or something" Chris says getting over his discomfort.

"Like trying to set us up you mean?"

"Well I.. um I wouldn't say that " Chris thinks if he had a drink then he would have choked on it or spilled it on him just than as that's how uneasy he was right now, no girl had had that effect on him before.

"Relax how bout you and I dance for a bit until they get back with the drinks and you can tell me about yourself at the same time" flashing him a reassuring smile.

 

From across the room at the bar Nathan and Mike look on at the two dancing and laughing together on the floor and toast to a job well done.

Chapter 3 by Jaded_Angel
It had been three months since they first arrived in town, they finally felt safe all thoughts about moving on left there minds after the first month. They truly believed that the Centre had forgotten about them, they finally felt at home.

 

"Ok so was that not the hardest test you have ever taking, even for someone with our abilities but I know I aced it though, what about you? Sis what's wrong?" he asks seeing the distant look in her eyes.

"I'll tell you at lunch. ... I've got a feeling that something bad is going to happened soon so just be careful alright Nate?" I say absent-mindedly responding to his question a scared look on my face.

"Alright Jess see you soon"

For some reason he made it a point to hug her hoping that it would easy her nerves before going their separate ways to class.


The bell had just rang for lunch and the halls was a buzz with people as Chris caught up with Jess at her locker and was discussing about how his last class went and about their plans for tonight but stopped when he noticed the far away look on her face.

 

<> I could hear his voice scream inside me my head and felt wherever he was he was running for his life.

I dropped my stuff and ran towards the nearest exit closely followed by Chris who was concern by what I was doing and why I was running.

"Jessica what's wrong why did you run outside like this was it something I did, tell me please maybe I can help?" he asks concern and confused by her actions.

"I.. it's Nate he's.. we're.." I'm about to say more when I notice back inside the school a Sweeper trying to make his way down the busy School hall, it's only a matter of minutes before he'd be near enough to spot me so I take off again jumping the small fence and run down the alley way.

Chris notices where her eyes went and looked too and saw that a man in a suite was near Jessica's locker. He looked back at her to say something but saw that she was already running down the alley way so he again chased after her hoping to get an explain soon.

<>

"Noooo!" I cried out and stop running.

"Jessica what's wrong? What's happening?" Chris ask when he finally catches up with her.

"Nate.. They've got... they've got Nate" I say out of breath and close to tears.

"Who's got Nate I don't understand?" Chris says clearly confused by all this.

**Hide now my child some one is coming** the voice that she and her brother shared warned her.

"Quick in here hurry their coming" I say to Chris as I quickly scan the alley and notice that one of the buildings that line it, has a big bared and painted over window has it's door slightly ajar, quickly moving towards the door and into the room behind it.

Chris gives a sigh but follows; once inside Jessica closes the door making sure that it is securely locked.

Jess than looks around and see that there's a group of metal container barrels stacked up against the window, and even though the window is painted over in white you could make out the shadows of anyone moving around in either the room or the alley. Just than they could hear the sounds of footsteps outside and could tell they we're moving closer.

"Behind these, don't make a sound" I say referring to the barrels.

Chris is about to say something but he sees the seriousness and scared look in her eye that makes him compile with her.

They each held their breaths as the footsteps got closer and had now stopped right in front of them.

Then the person moved towards the door and tried to open it, they both flinched at the sound of the door trying to be opened both silently praying that the lock will hold. Chris put his hand out onto Jess's to try and soothe her, thankfully the person outside stopped satisfied that it was indeed locked and walked back in front of the window just then the person's phone rang and was answered in an instant.

"This is Lyle... No, no sign of the girl yet... What you have him that's wonderful news. Call the airport and have the jet ready to go, we leave for Blue Cove in an hour" and with that the call was ended Lyle put his phone back in he's suite jacket and began to walk back the way he came with a slight satisfied smirk on his face.  

They stayed hidden until the sound of Lyles footsteps faded away and was sure he wasn't coming back.

"Would you mind telling me what the hell is going on?" Chris asks looking her in the face searching for answers.

"Look no time to explain it all now, we've got to get back to my place. I.. I promise I'll explain it all then"

   


 

Nathan was pulled out of the car by the two Sweepers and dragged fighting towards and then into the plane. As soon as he was seated securely Nate hung his head down to look at his feet, and said a silent pray that Jessica was safe and that he would some how manage to get away.

A few minutes go by before another person entered, Nathan looked up to the door and was greeted by the sight of Lyle, someone he had never told his sister about the person who was the cause of his silent nightmares.

Although Lyle only supervised him on just a few of his Sim's it had been enough to make an impression of total fear of him, if he made just one simple mistake or he wasn't fast enough with an solution then he would be punished.

Nathan could only guess as to how server his punishment would be this time for running away. But he knows Lyle wouldn't do it here no there'd be plenty of time for that later. 

 


"Gee no wonder you guys never invited me over to your place before" Chris says trying to lighting up the mood as he enters the scarcely furnished loft.

"Please sit down. What I have to tell you is serious, so please don't say anything until I'm finished" I say gesturing to the make-ship table of a metal barrel, just like the one they had hidden behind in the old building and wooden boxes with a cushion on top for chairs. 

Chris just nodded slightly and took a sit at the table waiting for an explanation. 

Taking a deep breath to collect her thoughts before Jessica began with her story.

"About five months ago Nathan and myself escaped from a place called the Centre and we've been running ever since. They want us back because we are Pretenders geniuses who can become anyone we want to be, if you give me a book on open heart surgery in the morning then I can perform it flawlessly in the afternoon. The only thing we don't know is if we were taken or given to the Centre, we don't even know if our parents are alive or dead despite searching their database for answers"

"Wow I... um.. I want to believe you really I do but it seem so out there to be true" bewildered by what she had said.

"I thought you might say that, so I want you to watch something then you'll see I'm telling the truth"

Jessica then got up and walks out of the room. When she returns Chris notices that she is carrying what look to him to be a metal briefcase, but when Jessica places it on the table and opens it up he see that inside there is some sort of computer housed in it.

Jess then takes one of the discs and places it into a slot, then presses a few buttons and the machine springs to life, as a picture starts to show on the screen. He could see the words for Centre Use Only at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Chris turns to look briefly at Jessica.

"Just watch"

The picture on the screen was in black and white. He could see a room with a metal table, there's a clear jug of water and two clear cups on it and two matching chairs the only pieces of furniture in the room. He sees that a ten year old Jessica is already seated at the table waiting, just then the door to the room opens and Jessica stands up as a woman holding a file walks in.

 

FOR CENTRE USE ONLY

"Good morning Sandra" the young Jessica says to the woman as she gets up from the seat.

"Good morning, Please sit down" Sandra reply's as she also seats herself opposite her. 

"Jessica I need you to do a Sim for me. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson have asked for our help in locating their kidnapped daughter Abigail. She was taken at night from her bedroom which she shares with her younger sister Dana."

Sandra pours herself a drink and takes a sip before continuing.

"They had hoped that she could tell the police what had happened that night. But she has repressed what had happened and the police believe that she may have even seen this persons face. We need you to tell us what her sister might have seen and shed some light on what happened. Here are some photos of the girl's room and of the missing girl"

Sandra opens up the file she has, takes out and places the photos on the table in front of Jessica as well as a sketchpad and a pencil.

Chris watched as Jessica stared down at the photos intently and enters what could best be described as a trance like state.

"Alright Jessica where are you and what are you doing?" Sandra asked aware that she was ready to begin the Pretend.

"I'm asleep in my bed in the room that I share with my older sister Abigail, when all of a sudden I'm woken up by someone coming in through the window. I know that it's the window because there's a lose floor board, where my sister and I hide stuff that we want to keep a secret from our brothers creeks when he steps on it."

Jessica takes a deep breath she had a distant and trance like look on her face with just a hint of sadness.

"He walks over to my sisters bed and is about to cover her mouth with a cloth, when he looks over as if sensing that I am awake, he then puts his index finger to his lips in a shush sign, I squeezed my eyes shut and pull the covers over my head. I hear the floor creek again but this time it sounded as though something heaver had gone over it. After a few seconds I pull the covers off me and open my eyes, I see that the man has gone and so is Abby. I start to scream, I scream so loud that I don't even notice when my parents enter the room to see what's the matter"

Jessica then picks up the pad and pencil and she begins to draw quickly, her eyes never once looked away to what she was drawing until she is done.

"This is what he looks like he is a Caucasian 8'5 tall, his eyes are grayish blue, his hair and beard are a reddish brown color he has a tattoo of a swordfish on his right forearm. But he is thinking about shaving off his beard and dieing his hair blond and wear brown colored contacts"

The screen fades to black as Jessica is coming out of her trance.

"So this place.. The Centre what exactly is it?" Chris asks still skeptical over what he just saw.

"It's some sort of think tank they raised us separately, we never found out about each other until that one day back at the Centre. I had just finished a SIM and was being led back to my room, Nate was being taken to run a SIM we both looked right at each other and we both sensed that there was something about each other we just didn't know what it was at the time. I tried to keep looking back at him as I walked but the Sweeper told me to turn around and keep walking but what I could see was that Nathan was doing the same" smiling fondly at the memory.

Jess gets up and moves towards the kitchen area and gets two can drinks out of the fridge and sits down before continuing her story.

"It wasn't until later that night back in our own rooms, we were both thinking about the moment in the hall. When all of a sudden I here his voice in my head wondering if we were connected somehow. And wished he could somehow see me again, without anyone knowing so that he could ask me if I felt it too. When I answered back that shocked him even more, we decided right then that this ability that we have must mean that we are brother and sister. I also found out that night that I was two levels above him. Every night from then on we would talk about how are day went and what Sim's we were working on and how we wished we could see each other again we'd end up talking ourselves to sleep"

They both open the drinks and took an uneasy drink while they collected their thoughts.

"Wow so what happened that made you want to escape?" Chris asked accepting this new information about his girlfriends past.

"See Nate had somehow found out that he was to be moved to another Centre facility, some time in the next two weeks. It was then that we decided that we had to escape or we would truly never see each other again. Three days later we escaped and from then on we've been on the run searching for our family, and we usually never stay in one place for too long, as we try and stay at lest one step ahead of the Centre" I say looking at him.

"But not this time, why?"

"No this time I... we thought that this time would be different, so now do you believe me?" I ask him with a slightly scared tone in my voice and then look away slightly.

"You know it's just like something you'd see on a tv show or something but I do believe you" Chris answers her as he takes her hand with his lift hand and with his right hand he gently lefts her chin up so that she can look him in the eyes.

"Except that it's my life" I say in a cynical laugh.

"So that's why you scream out in the alley, they have him again don't they?"

<>

~~I will I promise just hold on ok~~ I answered him not realizing just how strong our ability was, that we could still communicate to each other while being several miles away from each other.   

"What's wrong, is Nathan ok?" He asked seeing the distressed look on her face.

"Their.. their moving him to Africa I have to get him out of there, I just have too I can't lose him now that we've just found each other" fighting the tears welling up in my eyes becoming almost hysterical.

"Don't worry we'll get him out I promise just let me call for reinforcements" he says reassuring her.

Jess just nodded slightly flashing him questioning look.


 

"Hey guys cool place you have here Jess, could do with a bit more furniture though. Anyway you guys missed one hell of a day at school, at lunch there were these guys in suites I say they were FBI or undercover cops running around looking for someone. Guess they found what they we're looking for too cause they left about five minute later. So I got your message what's up and where's my main man Nate. Did I say something wrong?" Mike asked when he saw the hurt look on Jess's face at the mention of her brother.

"Look Mike, Jess and I need your help with some thing, no questions asked that sort of thing ok. Nathan has been kidnapped and we're going to go bust him out, but we need you to be our get away driver. I'm not going to lie to you it most definitely would be dangerous and if we got caught I'm not quite sure as to what well happen to us"

"I'll understand if you want to say no" I say before he has a chance to speak.

"I'll do it" Mike answers no hesitation in his voice.

"Are you sure I mean..." I begin.

"Jess you guys are my best friends and I don't know about you. But when one of my friends are in trouble and need of help I'm there for them no questions asked" stepping towards her.

"Thank you"

"Don't thank me yet we've still got to get your brother out of where ever the hell he is, now are you going to tell me where were going and what's the action plan?"  Mike says smiling draping his arm around her shoulder, leading her towards the barrel seats.


"Alright we're here, Nathan's room is 492 and that's on SL-6 I want you to get in and out as quick as you can. I know that I'm good at hacking into other peoples systems, but these guys have got to be the best at what they do. So I don't know how long it well be before they discover some thing's up and pulls the plug on my hook up with the cameras and Jess be careful" Chris says concern for safety, pointing out the locations on the screen.

"I will, I promise" I say smiling at him touched by his concern.

"Give us a few minutes and I'll have a live feed of the complex and we need a com-set" Chris says smiling back at Jess before turning back to the laptop.

"As for the com-set I've got one right here" I say retrieving it from my back pack.

"Gee now why doesn't that surprise me" Mike says jokingly.

"Hey don't you know a girls gotta be ready for anything. Anyway as soon as we're at the safe house Nathan and I will disappear so you two won't have to worry about being in danger for too much longer" I say then turn to walk away.

Shocked at the though of losing her Chris turns her around and holds her at arms length.

"It's not everyday the girl of your dreams walks into your life and I'll be crazy if I let you walk right out of my life"

"Chris I.. I love you but.. " my voice quivering slightly,

"I don't care as long as we are together. Now lets save your brother" Chris says as he puts his index finger to her lips to shush her, bridging the space between them and kisses her good luck.


 

"Ok Nate's room should be just a long that hall there, it's the third one down on your right" Chris says in her ear.

As she enters the room Jessica lets out a small gasp, when she sees the badly beaten up form lying on the bed that is her brother.

"Jess what are you doing here?" He asks looking up at her from his position on the bed confused by her presents.

"I'm here to rescue you remember, now come on we don't have much time" giving him a timid smile.

"We?" Nate asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes Mike's our driver and Chris is helping me by being my eyes now let's move it, can you walk on your own?"

"I don't think I can very well" He says as he struggles to sit up on the bed.

"Alright put your arm over my shoulder" I say trying to hide just how concern I am.

"I know we have to move fast and I can deal with the pain for now, we'll worry about what's broken later" he says reading her mind.

"Ok, Chris is the coast clear?"

"Hold on a sec... alright it's clear right up to the corner at the end of the hall and the next level I'll let you know if it changes"

After going through two more levels with easy they where now at the halfway point of their escape plan. 

"Jess slow down I can hardly keep up with you now"

"Chris you're suppose to be our eyes down here, making sure that our way is clear. And if we slow down then we might get caught and that would make your part of the plan pointless now wouldn't it! So just try and keep one step a head of us ok" I tell him in a slightly angry whisper as we're about to round a corner.

"Alright but... Quick! Hide some one's coming" Chris tried to warn them but it was too late.

"What the hell are you two doing out of your rooms?"

<>

"I'm sorry but my brother and I are leaving again and you're not going to stop us" I say glaring at her.

Miss Parker removed her gun from it's holster and was about to aim it at them, when the girl quickly lets go of her brother who was now leaning against the wall and swiftly kicked the gun right out of Miss Parker's hand which sent it flying down the hall away from the trio.

This shocked Miss Parker but only for an instant she quickly recovered and was now in a fighting stance just like the girl.

They circled each other before the girl made the first move, however Miss Parker dodged the punch and returned it, which made contact with her check causing the girl to stager back and almost fall. 

"Jessica!" Nathan called out concern for his sister.   

~~I'm ok~~

Miss Parker could see that the boy had nodded as if in agreement to an unspoken answer.

*Let them go angel please* Parker couldn't believe what her mother's voice was asking her to do, but she quickly thought it over while they fought and came to a decision and hope that it was the right one to make.

After a few punches and kicks Miss Parker let herself get kicked hard into the wall with her head bouncing off it and slid down it so that it would convince anyone watching that she didn't let them go with out a fight.

"Quick before she gets up or anyone else comes by" Chris says worry in his voice after watching the scene play out before him on his computer screen.   

I return to Nate and put his arm around my neck just like before and make our way out to the car and drive away from the Centre.


"Miss Parker I heard about what happen to you last night"

"Yeah same here I'm ah sorry that they got away" Broots said as he handed Sydney the file he had asked for.

"Don't be sorry just find me the surveillance tape from last night, right now Broots" Snapping her fingers.

Broots nodded as he hastily made his way out of the room to begin the search.

"Sydney can I talk to you?"

"Why of course what about" He asked as she took a place next to him on the leather couch.

"Syd my mother... she asked me to let them go so I did, I don't know why I would take such a risk like that but I did. There was something about them that seems so familiar that I just had to give them a chance to get away and you know that girl can really throw a punch. I just have to find out more about them"

"Can you think of anything that might help us find out more about who they are, other then last nights tape?"

"The boy said her name was Jessica, you know the funny thing is that she said it wasn't the first time they had escaped"


Raines's Office

Does She know who they really are?

"No I don't think so it was sheer coincidence that Parker was there and was attacked by the girl" Lyle says unconcerned about his sister attack.

"Good then make sure that it stays that way, the last thing we need is for your sister to find out who they really are" Raines wheezed before dismissing the man in front of him.

Chapter 4 by Jaded_Angel
Nathan was waiting in line to pay for the groceries they needed, when he picked up a newspaper off the stand the headline read Attacker Found. It was a story about former high school footballer James Freeman and school reporter Hanna Tate, who he brutally attacked and left for dead near the high school football field who was now in coma.

 

"I still don't know why he confessed, I mean I heard he was into drugs but he did have a sold alibi" the blond haired girl standing in front of Nate said to her friend standing next to her.

"Who knows anyway I'm sure the cops, if not them than the courts will realize that they've got the wrong guy" the red head said in response.

"Yeah I guess but I heard that he said some things that the cops kept from the papers" the blond said shaking her head slightly.

 

They had come to this town to pick up supplies as they passed thought but ended up finding a new person in need of their help.


Nathan had visited James in prison posing as legal aid worker. As he had just fired his latest lawyer and even though James still insisted that he did it, it did give Nathan a chance to Sim him and what he got off James was that he was absolutely terrified of being in here and of the person who really did it.

They then look into his past and into the events leading up to the crime and realized that the high school was the key to it all, they just needed to find out who their key players are.

"Ok so I think the best way to go about this is if we all enroll separately, and than I think we should try not to be seen together in public that way it won't be to suspicious to anyone when we start asking questions" Chris suggests.

"I agree Chris, also I think that one of us should try and join the football team and either Jess or the other joins the school paper"

"I don't really fit the footballer type nor do I have skills but I think Nate here is perfect for it" Chris says reaching for his drink on the table.

"Ok so than Chris well scout out what he can and that leaves me to be little Miss reporter girl" I say egger to get started.


 

After a few days into their Pretend Nathan was finally going to learn if he landed a spot on the football team, after the try outs last Tuesday and Jessica was slowly getting somewhere with Hanna's best friend Jenna Mac who was also a reporter since joining the school paper.

 

<>

~~ Ok just be careful, I'm going to try and talk a bit more to Jenna on what happened to her best friend, maybe she knows something that she or the cop didn't think matted. I'll try and see how Chris is going with some of the new friends James hung out with, before he went to jail if I can get close to him or call him on his cell if not it can wait, but right now I've got a report to write up ~~

"Jessica how's that report on the up coming school film festival going? Jessica?"

"Huh.. Oh Mr. Riley sorry I'm just putting the finishing touches to it now, it'll be on your desk before this afternoon" shaking my head slightly, looking up at him.

"Is everything alright?" he asks concern.

"Everything's fine Mr. Riley I just got a little caught up in my work"

Jessica had been assigned the same computer that Hanna had been using to write her assignments, when she found something interesting on the computer she decided that she would look into to it later when there weren't so many people around.


 

After chatting casually for a while with his new friends Nick and Lex, Chris felt that they were all relaxed enough for him to try and get them to start talking about their friend James.

 

"So I've been hearing a lot of stuff about your friend James do you really think he did?" he asks with casual interest.

"Yeah I've heard them all and I don't think he did it. See all I know is that he said that he had this great scam going for him. All he had to do was admit to something he didn't do and he'd be set with all the drugs he wanted for a year, which meant that we'd all get a cut. Next thing we know is that the cops have arrested him for trying to kill that coma chick... you know um Hanna" Lex said as he took a drag of his cigarette.

"I still can't believe he did that man, I mean we'd all do anything for a sweet deal like that. But trying to kill someone or even lying about doing it that's crazy and low. They didn't even know each other" Nick tells him shacking his head.

"But wasn't she a reporter for the paper, I mean she could have seen something he didn't want anyone finding out about at a game or while trying to talk to him for a story" Chris says acting as if he's worried that something might happen to them because of their friend.

"Hey don't worry Chris, she wasn't much of a football fan and anyway the guy that does all the sports reports and anything related is a friend of ours. Anyway James hasn't told them about who really did it so he's not about to tell them about us. He's the type of person who won't tell on a friend, although I wish he would tell them who really hurt her. Let's change the subject ok" Nick said starting to feel a bit upset over his friend being in jail.

They talk a bit more then break off and go their separate ways, as soon as Chris is a few feet away from them his cell rings.

"Any luck with your new friends there?"

"So were are you exactly?" Chris asks scanning the scenery for her.

"Around, you know I could get use to this whole bad boy rebel image you've got going for you" I say with a sly smile on my face while staring at him from a safe distance behind some trees.

"I never took you for a bad boy lover, it's the jacket isn't it" He says with a smile.

"I've always been a sucker for guys in leather and being a bit of a bad boy doesn't hurt either"

"Yeah well don't get to use to it, I mean there's bad boy your not the boss of me teen thing and than there's bad boy jail's in my future guy. I think I'll just stick with being me thank you, but I think I'll keep the jacket it makes me look cool" He quips.

"Anyway getting back to why we're here, I've found a hidden file on the computer Hanna always uses, maybe it has something to do with what happened to her I don't know. I'm go back there to see if I can open it"  

"Well it's seems that the reason James confessed was because someone promised him a years worth of drugs for free, most likely it's the same someone who did it" he informs her.

"Makes sense I've heard addict will do almost anything for a free fix, anyway gotta go find out what's in that file"

"Ok you just be careful than Nancy Drew"

"Nancy?"

"It's the name of a series of books about a teen detective of the same name, who solves mysteries anyway just try stay out of trouble" He tells her.

"I always do luv"


 

"What are you doing?"

Jessica turns around from the computer and sees Jenna standing there with a shocked look on her face.

"I could ask you the same thing?" I said without thinking.

"I left something here I needed and I find you here trying to open a locked file on Hanna's computer. I thought you were my friend obviously I was wrong about you" Jenna says in anger.

Jenna walks over to the computer and try's to move her away from it so she can shut it down, Jess moves slightly to the left giving her just a little space.

"Wait please before you turn of the computer I need to tell you something, than if you still want to stop me from opening up that file than I wont stop you" I say almost pleading.

"I don't know why but ok I‘ll listen" Jenna says before taking her hand off the mouse and crosses her arms in front of her.

"I know that this might be kind of hard to accept, but I have been looking into what happened to Hanna and I'm convinced that James didn't do it and I think that this file might hold some answers as to why they did it"

"Look I've heard the stories ok but I don't be.. I don't want to think about it ok" Jenna says bitterly.

"Jenna I didn't mean to upset you but I don't think you could live with yourself, if you stood by and let an innocent man go to jail, if something in this file could prove he didn't do it. I know you want to respect your friend's privacy, but I know that as a reporter it is our jobs to speak out for the injustices and to expose and uphold the truth to those around us even if it is difficult. Don't you want to get to the truth about what happened, for Hanna's sake and for yourself?"

A few uneasy seconds go by before Jenna unfolds her arms and places her hand on the mouse and for a second Jessica thinks that she's going to turn it off.

"Your right but if you're going to try and open this file than I think I might know what her password might be"

Jenna types a different word into the password pop up three times before the file opens.

It was a hard-hitting article about drugs in the school.

"It's the last story she was working on, there's a note here about finding a potential major lead do you have any idea on what that might mean?" I ask turning to face her after scanning the file.

"I don't know she said it was something big, Hanna received an email from someone who said they had solid proof as to who was behind all of it. She never told me who her source was just that she was meeting him the night she was attacked" Jenna says upset and close to tears.

"Jenna thank you so much I've got to go and check some things out. Promise me that you won't tell anyone including the cops about this file or about the talk you had with Hanna. As I fear that who ever she meet that night would hurt either you or myself if they found out" I says as I get up and walks to the door. 

"I.. I don't know who you really are but promise me that you'll find who really did this to Hanna" she asks Jessica is just about to walk out the door.

"I promise you I will" I say as I turn around to look at her before finally walking away.


Nathan was just finishing getting changed after a hard time at practice, he notices his friend Shane who was also the captain of the team was standing by a near by locker talking to some of the other teammates.

"Hey Nathan things seemed a little rough out there for you mate" Shane says as he breaks away from the group and walks up to him.

"I guess I'm just a bit rusty it's been a while since I played" Nate shrugs.

"Yeah I can tell anyway listen Nate since your part of the team and I can see that your really trying out there. I was wondering have you ever thought about taking something to help boost your game" he says laughing slightly.

"What you mean like steroids?"

"Hey not so loud you can call it a training aid. Look I just don't offer it to just anyone who joins the team, but since you're my friend and I trust you I'm offering it to you. So what do you say are you in?" Shane says looking around making sure that no one heard him.

"Hum I don't know I mean I've never used any drugs before and what if coach finds out?" he asks as if contemplating the offer.

"Oh well it's completely safe and as for coach you don't need to worry about him" sounding self assure of himself.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Who do you think I get my drugs from" Shane say leaning in close to him with a smirk.

"Coach is a dealer" shocked by what's he's just discovered.

"He likes you so he told me that I could make this offer to you. So what do you say?"

"I'm in" Nathan answers knowing that going down this rabbit hole might just lead him to the truth.

Chapter 4b by Jaded_Angel
The trio had settled comfortably in their living room and so began a conversation about any new findings or leads to follow.

"Ok so this is what I found out on that file, it's a story on drug in school and why does this not surprise you. Nathan what do you know?" I say when I see the look on his face.

"I've just been offered steroids by Shane in the change room, but that's not all according to him coach is the one who supplies most of the team"

"Ok so how do we find out if Mr Austin or one of your football buddies is behind this" Chris asks.

"I'm going to sneak into his office after I meet him this evening and see what I can find, seeing as I'm on the team if I get caught I wont look to out of place being there" Nathan lets them in on his plan.

"Alright we'll wait and see what you find than worry about the players later" I say wondering where this new lead well go.


Shane and Nathan walked through scarcely filled car park of a local park, some evening joggers go past but other than that they were alone. 

"Are you sure this is the spot?"

"Relax Coach is just over there" Shane says as the walk toward were coach Austin stands near his car.

"Nathan glad to see you take this game seriously, this first ones free, than its two hundred per vial" he says before passing him a small package.

"Yeah well I wasn't sure but Shane here says it's safe and I've been thinking that I want to make football my career, so I'll do what I can to make it happen and I guess the price seems fair" Nathan says shrugging his shoulders as if this was nothing.

"Ok so from now on if you need steroids or other drugs you contact me via this pager number, and I'll give you the details of when and were the drop of takes place. Oh and remember if you get caught you tell them nothing about me or your other teammates understand" Austin informs him on how things are run.

"Otherwise my life won't be worth living" Nathan says jokingly.

"Something like that" coach says with a hint of a sinister look in his eyes.

"Relax Nate it's nothing that serious, it just we don't tell on the one's who's watching our backs" Shane says flashing him a reassuring smile.


Nathan manages to slip into the school and into Mr Austin's office unnoticed. He searches the filing cabinet and the bookshelf but found nothing usefully, he's about to check the desk when he see the light of the security guards flashlight through the glass panel of the door Nathan turns off his light than ducks behind the desk.

The door rattles a bit as the guard checks it than he walks away; Nathan waits until the light and the guard's footsteps fades away. Nathan turns his light back on an begins to check the draws, the first two he finds nothing but with last one he finds something important taped underneath it.

<> referring to Hanna's notepad covered with specks of dried blood that he found hidden underneath the bottom draw of his desk.

~~Get back here safely we need to think of a fitting way to make him confess~~ and to make him suffer for what he's done. I think.

 


Mr Austin is sitting at his desk writing up a new routine that he wants the team to learn when the phone rings.

"Coach Austin Speaking"

"Mr Austin my name is Jessica Teal I'm a reporter for Glebe Times. I need to talk to you its important could you please meet me somewhere?"

"Ms Teal I'm sorry but I'm very busy today but I could see you tomorrow" he wasn't in the mood to talk to some school reporter today.

"It has to do with one of your player's, I have found some disturbing information that I think you should know about" I tell him knowing that it'll get his attention.

"Ok if you come down to my office I can fit you in so we can talk" sitting up straight in his chair his interested now peaked.

"I.. I really don't feel safe going there, in case the person I want to talk to you about is there. As I think he feels that I know something about him already" feign fear in my voice.

"Fine where and when would you like to meet?"


Mr Austin walked into the hall and looked around he couldn't see anyone. So he walks down towards the stage scanning the rows of chairs as he went, still no sign of Jessica he walks up onto the stage. There was an elaborate set of a dark, gloomy forest and a table and chair in front of it, Mr Austin walked towards it but stopped when he's at center stage.

"Alright I'm here now what was so important that you didn't want to talk about it anywhere else?" he says annoyed at going to all this trouble just to talk.

Jessica steps out of the shadows catching him off guard.

"I know you set up James to take the fall with the promise of free drugs for a year, telling him that because he's a minor and because it was his first offence he'd probably be out in no time at all on good behavior. What I want to know is why?" I say shooting him an icy glare.

"What the hell are you talking about?" totally baffled by what she just said.

"Find then have it your way" as I say it the trap door that he is standing on opens up and he fall into the small dimly lit room below.

"Just who the hell do you think are you?" he yells as he try's to in vain jump up and grab the edge of the trap and than scans the room for a way out.

"I'm your worst nightmare. Now are you gonna talk and tell me why you tried to kill Hanna, who's now lying in hospital fighting for her life" I say peering down over the edge at him.

"You believe some drug addict teen who just wants to save his own skin instead of facing up to what he's done, by trying to pass the blame onto the only person who tried to help him" coach Austin yells back.

"You sent an innocent kid to jail whose only crime was getting hooked on drugs that you supplied him with" a small wave tinge of anger washed over me which threatened to break my calm composure.

"The only thing I'm guilty of is not reporting him to anyone when I first found out, maybe than this whole thing would never have happened" he says with a hint of sadness in his voice.

"Hey have you though of a career as a fiction writer I think you'd be really good at it" I quip.

"You're going to be in so much trouble with the cops when I get out of here" he threatens her.

"Oh by the way there are a few little slithery friends down there to keep you company. Oh wait your afraid of snakes now aren't you, well don't worry the snakes aren't venomous at lest I think there not" I say in a mocking tone.

"Find I'll tell you everything just let me out of here" his voice trembling with fear as he hears the hissing sounds around him.

"Not until you tell me what I want to know" I yell back at him.

"Find I tried to kill Hanna Tate because she found out that I was selling drugs to local kids and the high school kids I coached. You happy now, you've got what you want. Now! GET ME OUT OF HERE YOU CRAZY BITCH" he says becoming hysterical.

"You know you really shouldn't call someone a bitch who holds your pitiful life in her hands. I was gonna let you out but now I think I'll leave you get to know my friends a little better" I say with a wicked smile.

Jessica than close the trap door shut and walks away to the sound of his pitiful screams for help, just as Chris and her brother walks over and hand's her the tape recorder with the confession on it and places it on the trap door with a note that say's play me on it.

"Nate remind me NEVER to get on your sister's bad side. So how long do you think it will take him to realize that the snakes down there are fake and that it's just a sound recording" Chris asks as they step outside and walk towards the car.

"About as long as it takes for the cops to come and arrest his sorry little ass" I say with a smirk.

"Well we better get going before they show up and start asking questions"

"Alrighty so who's driving" Nathan asks waving the keys in the air.

"I am" I say as I grab the keys out of my brother's hand and head towards the driver's side door.

Both boys cringing as they know how fast she likes to drive, well maybe this time might be different as they don't have a Sweeper team on their tall they can only hope.   

 

Chapter 5 by Jaded_Angel

Seated in the living room of yet another new place, all three of them staring at a laptop, they do what they always with any free time that they had searching for the twins past. 

  

“Jess did you find something about us?” Nathan asks aloud sensing something from his sister while he was sitting lax in his chair.

 

“Well.. Yes and no”

 

“OK for those of us who don’t live in your world could you please explain” Chris asks half jokingly. Confused by her cryptic meaning.

 

“In away see it’s… it’s about our mother” I whisper.

 

“Our mother?! Well what does it say” Nathan asks as he jolts up in his chair.

 

“Her name is Angela Hayden” I say looking towards my brother.

 

“Hang on, I think I might have found a picture of her.  You said her name was Hayden?” Chris asks and sees Jess nod her head slightly in response.

 

 “Yep that’s her, it’ll just take a few seconds to download” Chris confirms a moment later. 

 

“Hey you’re not going to believe this.  I may have found a possible last known location for our mom.  It’s seems she has a safety deposit box in a town called Nivia. It’s been there for years, I think we should check it out. What do you guys think?” I say surprised by what I’ve found.

 

“I’m not sure I mean this seems like to much of a coincidence for it to be real.  It feels like it could be a trap” Chris says.

 

“I’d love for this to be real for our sakes but I mean this is the Centre we’re talking about. I wouldn’t put it past them to do something like that” Nathan says as he moves towards his sister.

 

“I know your both right but I’m sick of not knowing who our family is.  The Centre has stolen the last sixteen of our lives and I’m not going to let them keep us from knowing who we are” I say bitterly.

“Alright sis we’ll go but I just want to go on record for saying that I still don’t think it’s a good idea that we’re going” Nathan says shaking his head. 

“Get packing boys we leave in an hour” I say smiling.

 

  


 

 

 

“I’ll just wait in the car for you guys,” Chris says leaning back onto the car door.

 

“What?  No you’re coming with us.” I say spinning towards him.

 

“Jess, if Chris doesn’t want to come in with us.  You can’t make him, besides if this is a trap then we’ll need to get away quickly”

 

“Look Chris we started this journey together the way I see it it’s only right that we all finish it together” I say shocked that he wouldn’t want to be apart of this major moment in my life.

 

“Are you sure you want me in there I mean this is kind of a family moment I don’t want to intrude”

 

“Chris believe me when I tell you that you wouldn’t be intruding” I say as I take hold of his hand.

 

“The same goes for me.  Besides the closets thing to family Jess and I have is you.  So are you coming with us or not?” Nate asks tilting his head to the side.

 

“Alright lets go and see who you two really are” Chris says smiling grabbing Jess’s hand as they walk.

 


 

“Next please, how may I help you today?” the teller asked. 

 

“Hi. Our mother Angela Hayden has left a safety deposit box here but unfortunately we have lost the key.  We were just wondering if there was any chance that we could still gain access to it?” I say with a sincere smile.

 

“Just a moment I have to talk to my manager about this” the lady said before she disappeared into a nearby office.

 

“Jess I’m not sure if this was the best way to go about it.  I mean we could of gone and set up our own deposit box and than you know broken into it” Chris said baffled by her move.

 

“Yeah I think Chris is right. I didn’t think you were actually gonna come right out with the truth.  I don't think they are just going to let a couple of kids off the street open it up and look inside.  We have no proof of identity or death.” shaking his head equally baffled.

 

“I know.  That’s why while you boys were busy packing I made us up two birth certificates, some id’s and a couple of happy snaps if they want proof.  They’ll get proof.” I say a little hurt by their lack of faith in my plan.

  

It was than that they noticed the bank clerk was coming back with a slightly balding and chubby middle-aged man whom they assumed was the manager.

  

“Hello, my name is Mr Scholl.  Your mother had left specific instructions regarding her deposit box.  If her children came and wanted to open it and didn't have a key then they could open it no questions asked. However I insisted that at least some sort of ID was shown before I would open it.  Looking at you two right now I can clearly see the resemblance of her in both of you kids faces. So please follow me, the vault this was.”

  

They were lead into the back of the bank through a side door and followed Mr Scholl down a hall.

  

“You knew our mother?” Nathan asks.

 

“Yes, she was such a wonderful and caring person always helping others.  Although I could always tell that there was hurt behind her eyes like she was scared that someone would find her.  I knew better than to ask, though I would have given it if she asked for help.” smiling fondly at the memory.

 

Nathan glances at his sister and sees her wiping a single tear that had fallen down her cheek.

 

“Well, here it is number 164, I’ll leave you now” Mr Scholl says as he pulls out a box places it one the table and unlocks it then walks away.

  

“The answer to our lives lies in this box” I say turning my head to my brother.

  

With slightly shaking hands Jessica opens the lid and peers inside to reveal an envelope with the words for my children written on it.

 

They emptied the contents onto the table. They found along with a letter there was some photos of their mother and what they assumed were pictures of themselves as babies. Two rings, one was man's ring with a Celtic design and the other was a oval shaped pink diamond ring.  They both put the items on before opening the letter addressed to them from a woman they didn't know… their mother.

 

 

 

 

 

To my dear children,Jessica and Nathan if you are reading this now than it means that I have died. I failed to protect you from the people I thought were going to be your real parents and this mysterious place they called the Centre. I guess I should start at the beginning. 

I was a surrogate mother for a couple.  They seemed like the perfect couple.  Unfortunately the wife couldn’t conceive by herself. They had seen many applicant ‘mothers’ before they had chosen me because of a rare gene that they had to match.

We agreed that I was to live with them until you were both born. I never suspected that anything was wrong, I accidentally over heard Mr Robertson in his office.  He was talking to someone on the phone about how my pregnancy was going and then he told the other person I was having twins.

At first I thought that he was just talking to some relative or a family friend.  I would of just walked on by if it wasn’t for this strange feeling telling me to listen a little longer.

To this day I’ll always be thankful for listening to that feeling because that was the moment that I found out that the life inside of me was actually my own, not the couples as I had been lead to believe.

He told them that every thing was going according to plan.  I didn’t suspect that I was really carrying my own children.  That they would be handed over to the Centre a week after being born as planned.  He also commented on how extremely fortunate they were to find a woman with the Pretender gene who was a surrogate.

I left that night knowing I had to do everything in my power to protect the life growing inside of me.  Now as I come closer to giving birth to you both I feel that I need to write this down.  So that you know the truth about how you came to be in case something happens to me.  I hope that I will be around to tell you both this in person.  If the unthinkable does happen and I am not there than please know this.  You both came into my life suddenly, Jessica and Nathan, you are both loved and wanted unconditionally and whole heartedly by me. 

Love always and forever, your mother.                                  

 

    

Now as they left with their mother’s gifts to them there was only one more question left.  Who was their father, until they knew that they could not know themselves.

 

 

 

 


 

    

Emily and her father were in the living room reading while Ethan slept on the couch.  He begins to stir and then suddenly sits up his clothes are clammy from a cold sweat.

  

“You had that dream again didn’t you?” Major Charles asked his son. The dreams had started about a fortnight ago and he was starting to get worried about Ethan.  The Major wished he could contact Jarod, he might be able to shed some light on this new situation.

  

“Why don’t you tell us about the dreams we might be able to help you figure out what it means that is if you want to?” Emily asks concern for her brother etched on her face.

  

“The dreams there always the same it starts of with a woman standing in front of me in her arms she’s holding two babies I can’t see their faces.  I know that the babies are a girl and a boy and they are twins. Then all of a sudden the woman and the babies disappear and two teenagers appear.  Their faces are in shadow but I know they are the same twins. They want to tell me something but I can’t hear the words.  I can just see their mouths moving.  Then they disappear and I hear the words,  “Find us,” Then that’s when I wake up. I feel I’m somehow connected to them I just don’t know how”

 

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=5281