Winter Dakrness by DIZZYDAME1211
Summary: A story to go with Alexa's Winter Challenge.

Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: None
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 9380 Read: 2024 Published: 15/09/06 Updated: 15/09/06

1. Chapter 1 by DIZZYDAME1211

2. Chapter 2 by DIZZYDAME1211

3. Chapter 3 by DIZZYDAME1211

4. Chapter 4 by DIZZYDAME1211

5. Chapter 5 by DIZZYDAME1211

6. Chapter 6 by DIZZYDAME1211

7. Chapter 7 by DIZZYDAME1211

8. Chapter 8 by DIZZYDAME1211

9. Chapter 9 by DIZZYDAME1211

10. Chapter 10 by DIZZYDAME1211

Chapter 1 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 1 Disclaimer: I don't own pretender or any rights to the show, it is the property of TNT & NBC
 
 

Winter Dakrness
part 1
by DIZZYDAME1211





Standing in the kitchen doorway I pressed the speed dial button on my cell phone, hopefully she was home, I prayed that she was. Hearing the phone ring on the other end, I could feel the adrenaline through my system it made me feel jittery and impatient. Dammit! what was taking her so long to pick up the phone.

"What!"

"Do you always take that long to answer the phone Parker I'm shocked."

"What the hell do you want Jarod? Please don't tell me you want to talk nonsense cause I am not going to listen to any more of your drivel."

"Can't I call to speak to someone who knows me, Parker really I thought by now you would be used to our late night conversations."

Listening to Jarod on the other line I could tell something was wrong, behind the flippant remakes and the attitude I could here something else. "It's 3 a.m. I'm not in the mood for mind games Jarod, get to the point of the call now!"

"Point, the point well the point is I couldn't sleep, so I figured why should I let anyone else get any."

There it was again that hint of something I kept hearing it. Sitting up in bed I listened to Jarod breathing waiting for me to say something.

"Ms. Parker are you still there? Walking to the bedroom in my apartment I hoped she hadn't hung up. I could just see her laying in bed with her 9 mm under her pillow wishing I was in front of her so she could get some target practice.

"I'm still hear, why can't you sleep Jarod?"

Letting out a breath I didn't even know I was holding I tried to come back with a smart retort, but the pain and emptiness of my life came to the surface. For months now I wanted to call and tell her I needed her, I needed her strength, I needed her Ice Queen demeanor to rub off on me and most of all I needed someone to make the nightmares go away. I couldn't though, not then when she lay in that hospital bed close to death after being shot on the tarmac. I couldn't get that day out of my mind, it was one of my many nightmares that didn't let me sleep, but maybe now, three months after that fateful day when I thought I lost her for good, and I was captured by Lyle and Raines. "Do the nightmares ever stop Parker? Sometimes I wonder why any of us are still here, aren't you tired."

"It's my job, it's what I do, I have my retirement planned for the day I drag you back to the Centre, I have a nice quite island picked out, but to answer the question. Yes I'm tired, tired of chasing God knows where, after you and tired of playing these mind games at 3 a.m. and most of all tired of listening to you play the victim. Everyone suffers Jarod, life is suffering that's the Centre life, you know that. Honestly I don't know why you keep fighting it you belong to the Centre."

"You know Parker I expect that from your father or Mr. Raines but never from you! I'm tired as well I'm exhausted in fact, you think I'm playing some pity me game. I have nothing! Do you get that I have no life, but running and trying to fix some of the wrongs in this world. I don't even know my real name, your father and the Triumveret destroyed everything good in my life, and your demented bother almost destroyed me! You keep saying that I'm playing mind games with you, well what about the games your family and the Centre keep playing with me?"

Listening to the anger and the pain in that outburst I knew something was wrong. Thinking back on the two and a half months I laid at St. Catherines cut off from everyone and thing, I knew that Jarod had been caught, Hell Lyle was still walking around like he was king of the town,. I knew very little about that time I was locked away. "I don't know what to say Jarod, but my advice end it all come back, I' ll even do you one better and come pick you up."
 
 
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great. 

Chapter 2 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 2 Disclaimer: I don't own Ms. Parker or any of Pretender characters ect.

Now that I have the groove of things and know how it should look here goes and remember feed back is appreciated.
 
 

Winter Dakrness
part 2
by DIZZYDAME1211





Hearing Ms. Parker talk about my returning and her offer to come get me I could feel the cold inside me start to take a physical effect on my body. I would never go back there, I would die first. Pushing the memories that I relegated to nightmares away from me I tried to calm my speeding heart at her careless words. Suddenly it felt like the walls were closing in and suffocating me. Pulling the door to the house open I walked out into the falling snow, it wasn't fast or heavy and I didn't feel cold, but then again I was frozen from the inside these days.

"That's your answer for everything isn't it Parker, return me to the Centre and that ends all your problems, I'm never going back do you hear me Parker! You will have to kill me first. I won't let Lyle...

Never mind I rather end it another way the ever get taken back there again."

Disconnecting the call I looked at the sky and the snowflakes falling from the heavens. I meant what I said I would end it or force Parker to kill me before I ever let anyone take me back. Standing outside for a while longer I could feel my fingers going numb from the cold. Forcing myself to turn and go back into the house, I walked to the bathroom for a hot shower, maybe I could wash away the cold inside as well. Closing the door I took a deep breath and turned the water on. I had the same feeling that pushed me to go outside in the first place only this time I couldn't catch my breath. Closing my eyes I tried to bring myself down and make myself believe that I was okay and that the walls were not closing me in. What pooped into my mind just intensified my fear and I couldn't stop the flash back from happening. Pulling myself out of the memory I could feel my body shaking and my head throbbing. I turned around and opened the door to the bathroom and left the shower running while I went and turned on the radio, I needed something to keep me grounded. The noise would keep me in the here and now and I would be able to get through tonight and face tomorrow. Finishing the shower quickly I put on a black turtleneck sweater and black jeans.  Feeling better I made some hot chocolate and started a fire in the fire place and sat on the floor to wait for dawn.

Next Day
The Centre
Blue Cove

"Syd your lab rat is loosing his marbles, he called me last night and from what he said he's out there as in lost it baby, but he did say something about my twit of a brother, we need to find out what happened to Wonder boy while I was trapped in St. Catherine's."

"Ms. Parker, that's a dangerous path to follow at this time, I don't think it would be wise to antaganoize Lyle especially since he had Jarod then lost him, Lyle's likely to loose it."

"Yeah well when have I ever taken the safe path, Broots! get over here."

"Y..yes Ms. Parker?"

"Find out everything you can about the time I was in St. Catherine's and what happened to Jarod during that time."

"Ms. Parker, please wait, think this through."

"You didn't speak to wonder boy Syd I did and I heard the rage and other things as well."

"Such as?"

"Like I said Jarod's losing it."

"If that's true then, what I suspected and feared has occured."

"And what's that?"

"Whatever happened the last couple of months has completed what the last twenty years started and that's the destuction of self. Jarod may not have an identity, but to himself he is who he is, and he want's and needes to find out who that is, if for some reason that's taken away, then.."

"Then what, please continue Sydney, it was just getting good."

"What do you want Lyle?"

"What will happen Sydney?"

"Then Jarod may do something drastic and possibly dangerous."

"The I suggest you find him, the sooner the better."

Walking away from those fools I smiled as I got onto the elevator, my plan was working perfectly, soon the last phase of the treatment I gave Jarod would take effect and the Pretender would have no choice but to come back to me and then I would return him to the Centre, but not before I had my fun and erased the little extra I implanted within him. No one would ever be the wiser.
 
 
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great. 

Chapter 3 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 3 Disclaimer in part 1

This part is kind of dark and depressing, sorry for that but if you don't want to read then be my guest. Also the lyrics I quoted are from "Hybrid Theory Crawling in My Skin, " by Linkin Park. I mean no copy infringement so don't sue me I'm broke.
 
 

Winter Dakrness
part 3
by DIZZYDAME1211




Smiling to myself I continued walking away from the trio of idiots. Parker had no idea what I had done while I kept her locked inside St. Catherine's neither did the good doctor or that coward of a computer geek. I know and in the knowing I could get everything I wanted from the Pretender and more. I knew it would be a while yet, but the way my dear sister described poor Jarod, it looked like the treatment was taking affect quite nicely. Silently congratulating myself I walked into my office and sat behind my large oak desk, in my leather executive's chair and remembered what I had already done to my newest toy.

***

Somewhere else

Snapping my eyes open quickly I realized I had fallen asleep sitting on the floor with my knees raised and my head on them. I stood up and tried to work out the kinks from being in that position for so long, although I didn't exactly remember when I feel asleep or how long had I been asleep. Looking at my watch I realized I had slept a couple of hours. Focusing on the fact that I had a least got some kind of sleep I ignored the rest of what my mind was trying to make me remember besides my sleeping. Trying to forget the images that woke me in the first place, I walked into the small bathroom again leaving the door open and washed my face with cold water. I knew that I wouldn't be getting anymore sleep but some was always better the none. Looking at my reflection in the mirror I avoided seeing beyond the surface.

Three months, tomorrow, I meant today actually. Three months I had escaped three months ago again, only this time I didn't think I could put myself back together again. Smiling sardonically at the reference to the little rhyme I was taking my analogy from I remembered the way it went although why someone would put an egg on a wall beat me. In some ways though I related I just didn't think I could be put together ever again. Walking to one of the windows I pulled the curtain away from it and watched the heavier snow blanket the ground. Looking at the snow I started analyzing what I knew and what I felt, but too soon I could feel my mind backing away from what was inside of me, knowing that the only way to start facing it was to pull it out and look at it and analyze it I pushed a little harder. Feeling the headache start behind my eyes I ignored the pain, something I excelled at and focused.

Trying to ignore the problems wasn't an answer it worked but I couldn't hide forever. Hearing that little voice inside me saying sure you can, no one would know, no one knows where you are, who you are or what you've done stay gone, your the original invisible man, who cares that you stay inside this place and never come out again. Trying to think of the many reasons why I shouldn't do just as my little voice was saying, really no one missed me, no one knew me hell I didn't know me so why not why not just withdraw, stop running and fighting. The little voice was louder and agreeable now I could almost sense it's happiness. Trying to think past it to why I needed to keep going and fighting I tried blocking it out of my hearing.

The headache I had steadily been ignoring for some time made itself known this time with a throbbing that almost brought me to my knees in front of the window. Closing my eyes against the dizziness and the pain I took deep breaths. Feeling the coldness of the window kept me grounded, but the pain wouldn't stop. Keeping my eyes closed I turned and sat on the floor hoping for some relief, what I got left me feeling worse as well as shaken. This time the flash back had edges that stuck and pinched reminding me that possibly I could never be put back together again. Remaining on the floor I rode out the rest of the pain and memories hoping that at least I could patch up a few cracks.

Trying my damnedest to focus on something else anything else I heard the radio, which I had forgotten to turn off. Listening to the lyrics of the song I could identify, somebody seemed to fit my life into a song. The opening said it so well. " There was something inside of me pulling beneath the surface consuming, confusing this lack of self control I feared would never end: controlling, I couldn't seem to find myself again and the walls were closing in, and there was to much pressure to take." When the chorus of the song started to agree with this song and listened to the second verse and again thought the writer of this song knew what I felt only too well "Distracting, reacting against my will I stand beside my own reflection, it's haunting how

I can't seem to find myself again feeling this way before so very insecure." Was that what I was doing crawling in my own skin, running in circles confused and hurting?
 
 
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great. 

Chapter 4 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 4 Disclaimer in part 1

This part is kind of dark and depressing, sorry for that but if you don't want to read then be my guest. Also the lyrics I quoted are from "Hybrid Theory Crawling in My Skin, " by Linkin Park. I mean no copy infringement so don't sue me I'm broke.
 
 

Winter Dakrness
part 4
by DIZZYDAME1211




The Centre
Blue Cove
Two days later

"Good Morning Parker, anymore calls from our mutual friend?"

"No, and frankly Syd that has me worried, I mean God knows I don't mind being able to sleep the whole night without any 3 am interruptions, but this time I kind of think that I want the interruption just to know if he's all right"

"Do I sense you caring for Jarod beyond hunter and prey?"

"Get real Syd, I want to bring him in whole, if he's hurting or injured I want to be the one that did it." Watching Broots running towards Syd, I waited for him to stumble when he didn't I forgot him and took my leave of Sydney.

"Ms. Parker! wait Ms. Parker?"

"What?"

"I found some information on the project you asked me about."

"Well spit it out!"

"Maybe we should do this somewhere else, I don't think here is a good idea."

"Fine, my office ten minutes, oh and Broots this better be good,"

" I hope you found something worth it Broots,"

"What I found, is something I may have nightmares about for the rest of my life."

Sitting at my desk I waited while Broots loaded the DSA player and pushed him out of the way to start the disk on my own. The disk showed the date as during the time that my demented brother had me locked away. Looking at the dim picture I could see two figures, only one of the figures had his hands above his head, and was tied to something above. Looking closer I recognized the hanging figure as Jarod. The other figure I didn't know but from the looks of his body I figured a sweeper. What happened next pulled me away from trying to identify the unknown. The whip made a loud cracking as it hit Jarod on his back.

"So they tortured him, what's so amazing about that?"

Trying to force the pain and disgust I felt at seeing Jarod hurt and being hurt, if I ever found out who the hell that was wielding that whip I would personally torture him.

"Wait."

Looking back at the DSA player I waited, what I saw made my blood run cold. Lyle walked into the room and sent the anonymous man out. He opened the ties holding Jarod and let him fall to the floor. Watching Lyle kneel next to Jarod I strained my ears trying to get a snippet of what he was saying. Looking at Jarod on the floor I could see him trying to move away from Lyle, I felt the same sentiment, anytime he got anywhere near me I wanted to run the other way. Focusing on the DSA again I saw Lyle put his gloved hand on Jarod's mutilated back and press one particularly deep cut. I could hear the light moan coming from the injured man on the fall. I saw red for a few seconds then let it pass and watched as Jarod shook his head in the negative and Lyle press harder onto Jarod's back.

"What the hell is he saying no to Broots?"

"I don't know the recorder didn't pick up any sound except what's there."

Looking back at the damn DSA I waited, Lyle seemed to be saying the same thing knowing it was going to get the same reaction, I could see the sick pleasure Lyle was taking from hurting Jarod.

"That's not what's important though, watch the rest of the DSA Ms. Parker, I'm going back to work, and by the way here's a file you should read."

Watching Broots scurry away I wondered what could have been so bad. Jarod had survived the Centre's torture for so many years he should have been used to it by now. The DSA droned on and I saw why Broots ran away, that son of a bitch didn't even give Jarod more than an hour to recuperate before he started another toture session. The new session was darker, it showed Jarod in a shower with water running over him while some demented little man electrocuted him with some kind of prongs at regular intervals. I would dream of Jarod's screams at night and probably would wake screaming myself. Lyle walked into the room and did the same thing to Jarod that he did earlier, when Jarod said nothing nor moved Lyle electrocuted Jarod while he lay in a ball on the floor. I could see that Jarod had retreated to unconciousness.

Lyle realized that and sent Jarod out of the room. The DSA blacked out then came back, Jarod was in the infirmary and the nurse was caring for him and the cuts that would leave scars on his back. Lyle walked in and excused the nurse. God he was demented. He spoke to Jarod briefly then took put a hypodermic needle and stuck it in Jarod's arm. Jarod didn't even flinch, Lyle finally left the room. Whatever he gave Jarod was unknown probably to Jarod as well. The DSA blacked out and didn't come back on. I opened the file Broots gave me and began reading. When I finished I let the tears fall freely. Jarod would die before he came back to the Centre, he would kill or be killed before he let that happen. The file contained a medicle report on

Jarod. Lyle had him torturd repeatedly and in various ways, but it seemed electrocution was his favorite. The file also stated that Jarod was slowly regressing into a near catatonic state after each session Lyle put him through. It stated that the sessions had to end or Jarod would be completly lost. It also stated that Jarod had become very agreeable and malable a definete advantage. God Jarod agreeable that was something I never thought I would see or wanted to see. God I needed Jarod to call or something, I knew he wasn't alright, he was hurting and alone. Putting the DSA and file in my safe I left my office and the Centre, I felt tainted by all the Centre had done, like I would never get clen again, one thing I was sure of I was going to make Lyle suffer and hurt and scream the way he made Jarod. I would destroy that monster, he had it coming for so long now. Reaching for my car door, I pulled back when a gloved hand opened the door for me. Seeing that hand I was remined of the way he pressed into Jarod's wounds.

"Allow me, off to somewhere special, maybe a lead on the Pretender."

Forcing myself to turn and put on a smile, I tried not to grab him by the throat and chock that smug look off his face. Swallowing the bile that rose from looking at him, I turned back to the waiting car and got in and turned on the enegin.

"When I find Jarod and I will you'll know even before I drag him in here. But then again I might be carrying him since I have a feeling he would never come back here if he was still breathing, any ideas why he would feel that way?"

Driving off I watched Lyle in the rear view and thought darkly satisfied there a smug son of a bitch, your not smiling now.
 
 
 
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great. 

Chapter 5 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 5 Disclaimer in part1
 
 

Winter Dakrness
part 5
by DIZZYDAME1211




The Centre

Walking into my office I pondered what my twin sister had said as she drove off. She knew something, then again Parker always knew something. I had to find out what she knew and how she found out. I didn't need her interfering with my plans in anyway. Turning on the computer I opened the files and scrolled through the file names. Opening up the file I had placed only a number on I read through it and reassured myself that everything would be okay regardless of what my sister had found out. Where ever she had tore off to, it made no difference. Smiling again I shut down the computer and went to ask a few questions of the cowardly geek and the good doctor.

***

Outside of Blue Cove

Driving down the highway I tried to think about anything else but what I had seen on the DSA and read in that medical file. Somehow it just kept running through my mind and I couldn't escape the fact that I felt something other then the customery need to return Jarod to the Centre at any cost. Actually what I was feeling was so far away from the concept of returning Jarod that I couldn't even comprehend how it had happened. When my car phone began to ring, I considered not answering it but it could be Jarod and I needed to hear his voice desperately, I needed to know that he was all right and that what Lyle had done to him had left lasting effects.

"What?"

"Do you ever say hello? I just figured that once and awhile you could greet a caller with something as simple as hello."

"Jarod, are you all right, where are you?"

"Why Ms. Parker is that concern I hear in your voice?"

"Dammit Jarod stop playing at this game and tell me where you are?"

"So you can burst onto the scene with sweeper teams and try to return me to the Centre, I already told you that I will never go back there Parker, you should know that I never lie about things like that. Let's just say for now that I am somewhere safe from the Centre and your family,"

"Jarod, I... well I just want to say that I'm sorry."

"For what Parker, for hunting me down, for helping strip me of everything that is good in my life. What are you sorry for Parker?"

"For a whole lot of things, but mostly for everything that's happened. There are lines that should never be crossed, but for some reason or another they get crossed."

"Like stealing children and identities, or maybe filling a young boy's mind with nothing but lies. If that's what you are referring to then I agree with you whole heartedley"

"Oh Jarod, I know that the Centre hasn't exactly been the pillar of common good, but daddy would have changed things if he could have."

"Don't feed me that party line Parker I have spent to many years lost and alone to believe that, your father knew about everything that went on including what happened the last time I was captured. I have no doubts that he knew and he did nothing to stop what happened or what Lyle... Never mind, I will never trust them Parker and neither should you."

"Jarod! wait don't hang up yet, what did Lyle do?"

"Nothing for you to worry about."

Hearing the line disconnect I pulled over to the shoulder and called the Centre.

"Broots here."

"Did you find anything else?"

"Ms. Parker, how are you?"

"Cut the crap Broots what have you found?"

"Nothing, just as I am telling Mr. Lyle at this time."

"Never mind my psychotic brother, call me when you get a chance."

"Yes Ms Parker."

***

Somewhere Else

Putting the phone back down on the table I looked back at the snow covered ground. Why didn't I tell Parker what happened, why couldn't I bring myself to tell her what happened and what I had been running from? Walking back to the table I picked up the phone and dialed the other number.

"This is Sydney."

"Do you think we hide our true selves from those we care about because we fear what there reactions would be?"

"Jarod, I am glad to hear from you, are you all right?"

"Why does everyone care how I'm doing right now, I'm as well as I can achieve right now. You didn't answer the question Sydney."

"In some ways we never stop hiding we just learn to do it well enough that others don't realize the difference. It takes a very close relationship for a person to realize when someone is hiding something. What is this about Jarod?"

"What if you don't want to hide? Never mind."

Hanging up the phone again I thought about Parker and what Sydney had said. Would Parker look at me differently if she knew the extent of my nightmares, or would things remain the same and she would do whatever she had to so she could drag me back. How far would she really go? Pacing the floor I could feel the restlessness take over. God I felt like I was going stir crazy but yet going outside or anywhere else brought back the fear and coldness that I barely escaped before. I couldn't figure out why I felt so conflicted or why it had such an intense affect on me. Trying to get past the feelings I wondered again if maybe I would never get myself back together. Settling for opening the window I stood in front of it and let the cold air caress my face. For some reason I couldn't force myself to do more then that.
 
 
 
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great.

Chapter 6 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 6 Disclaimer in part1
 
 

Winter Dakrness
part 6
by DIZZYDAME1211




Turning on the speaker phone of my headset I speed dialed the one person who could answer some of the questions that I had.

"What ever you found better be good,"

"Ms. Parker! I didn't expect you to call me back."

"What did you find Broots?"

"Another file."

"Another file, well whoop de doo, want a medal!"

"Ms. Parker, please. The information came straight from Mr. Lyle's computer, if he ever found out that I hacked into his computer. I don't want to even try to imagine what he would do to me."

"What Lyle will do to you is nothing compared to me just shooting you the next time I see you is it, spill it!"

"I rather not say such things over the phone, I sent the file to you by special courier, it should be arriving at your house shortly."

"Fine, whatever. Has Sydey heard from Jarod?"

"Not that I know of, but then again I haven't really seen Sydney around lately."

Getting to my house shortly after hanging up the phone with the cowardly geek, I found the package waiting for me. Taking it inside I took off my blazer and gun, then slipped out of my heels. Sitting on my couch I opened the file and began reading. By the time I was done I knew I had to find Jarod very soon. It wasn't enough that Lyle had Jarod tortured, no he wasn't happy with causing the most physical pain, he had to make sure he destroyed the emotional as well. Standing up I started pacing my living room floor. Daddy would have never allowed this to have happened, Lyle had to be acting outside the lines and I was just the one to catch him. Slipping back into my ice queen persona I went back out to my car. I had no idea where I was going or where to start, but I knew one person who would. Picking up the phone I press the speed dial and waited to be connected.

"This is Sydney."

"Syd it's me, we need to talk."

"Fine Ms. Parker I at the Centre, meet me in my office."

"No, not there meet me at the diner."

"Ms. Parker what is this about?"

"Just be there!"

Driving to the one place where I knew no one would be trying to spy or eavesdrop on my conversation I took a booth at the far back and waited.
 
 
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great. 

Chapter 7 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 7 Disclaimer in part one
 


Winter Dakrness
part 7
by DIZZYDAME1211



Walking into the diner I knew that whatever Parker had to say, she would want to have complete privacy, therefore I headed to the far back of the place and sat at the darkest booth.

"Read this file."

"Nice to see you to Parker, I can't see the file it's to dark."

"Here use my pen light."

Taking the file and the small flash light, I turned it on and opened the file.

"My God, if what's in here is true then Jarod doesn't have much time. From everything that you told me it seems that while Jarod was in the Centre this last time they found away to ensure that if he ever escaped again that they would be able to find him again. Those bastards!"

"That's not all with all the information that Broots has found I believe that my dear twin twit has put a little extra spin on that. The drug he gave Jarod is designed at first to be a hallucinogen, then it works like a bad LSD trip, paranoia, claustrophobia, restlessness. That isn't the point though. The main factor in the drug is a chemical agent that is designed to destroy neuro-pathways. The more Jarod resists the brainwashing and the drug, the more damage is done. From what I heard from Jarod, he's more then adamant about never returning. I don't blame him, after I watched the DSA's of Jarod's time while I was at St. Catherine's I would rather die myself. The one thing that kills me though is that Lyle in essence would destroy Jarod's genius, daddy would kill him for that."

"What if Lyle doesn't figure on Jarod resisting for that long, from what I remember of my chemistry classes and what I have learned the Centre is capable of Lyle has nothing to worry about. The drug has another component, the most deadly in fact. Ever see documentaries on the interment camps Parker or on slaves that actually came to love the life they led. The slaves and holocaust victims went through say Stockholm Syndrome, they sympathized with there tormentors even provoked punishment because they wanted to make there tormentors happy. Whoever thought up that little additive knew what they were doing. Jarod would willing return to Lyle and the Centre, because combined all together the drug would turn him into a willing slave. If the drug is successful Jarod looses that sense of self I mentioned, who he was, is and could become are wiped out. The longer Jarod resists the more pain he'll be in for the last stage is complete vegetative state. Ever read "Flowers For Algernon" It's this story, or play rather that has a retarded handy man the subject of an experiment. The experiment works, and he becomes a genius, learning at an immense speed and teaching things to the scientist who came up with the drug. Well, towards the end he was smart enough to know that the experiment really failed and that although he was smart for a while, the drug was killing him, but not before it made him stupid again, excuse my language. In Jarod's case the drug as you said is destroying his genius. The last stage is complete retardation a fate worse then death,"

"So it's either come back to the Centre or become rain man?"

"Actually the Rain Man would be a genius compared to Jarod at that point,"

"How could they do that, how could they destroy someone so completely and not look back or feel remorse for it! I'm not even sure if Jarod knows he's carrying around a time bomb in his body. We have to do something we have to find an antidote Syd."

"Ms. Parker what are you saying? I can't believe you want to help Jarod."

"When I catch wonder boy I don't want it to be because he submitted to some drug or because he was to stupid to hide. When I catch him I want it to be because I had him cornered with no way out."

Getting up from the table I threw some bills on the table and stalked out. I was going to make sure Lyle paid for what he did before and after. There wouldn't be a hole, ditch or rock low enough to hide behind.

***

Blue Cove
The Centre

I wasn't sure but I believed my files on my computer had been hacked. There were just something's a person felt in there gut and mine was telling me that me confidential files weren't confidential anymore. My first priority would be to find out what was looked at, then who was it. Then I would make sure that they paid a hefty price for breaking into my files. Tapping away at the keyboard I scanned and checked all my files. Finding the proof that I was right I had been hacked, I could feel my temper rising, whoever did this was going to suffer. When I was through they would never get near another computer again, hell they would have eyes or fingers to type and see. Starting the tracking program I had designed for just such an emergency I left my office to see if my dear sister had returned from where ever the hell she had run off too. Then again her being gone gave me the perfect opportunity to search her office. Slipping inside her dark office I stood a few seconds and let my eyes adjust to the darkness. It didn't take long. Slipping between her chair and desk I opened up the desk drawers and found nothing of interest in any of them. The again she would be smart enough not to leave it out in the open. Looking around the office I tried to think of a good place she would hide things. I spotted the ruffle in the area rug. So unlike Parker to leave things untidy. Lifting up the rug I hit gold. There was a floor safe. Looking at the dial I realized that I would need some equipment from my apartment to crack it. I also wanted to be sure there weren't any alarms on it. Looking around the office again I quickly decided that I wanted to look through her computer and possible find something useful. Turning it on I was immediately prompted to enter a password. I knew a few seconds of panic but the thought about Parker and the type of person she was. I typed in the name of the woman I never met, but supposedly gave me life. The screen cleared and I started my tour. How predictable to use Catherine's name as the password.

***

Somewhere else

Looking at the laptop I rechecked my data I couldn't breath for a second. Spots swam before my eyes I pushed my chair back and stumbled to the bedroom. Throwing myself on the bed I held my eyes closed tightly hoping to erase what I saw. The dizziness I had been fighting increased and the headache came back. God I was tired. I couldn't remember the last time I slept a full night or even focused on anything for too long. I couldn't. Every time I concentrated it hurt, every time I tried to remember why I should be getting the hell out of here something held me back I didn't know what but something wouldn't let me leave. Sitting up I let the next dizzy spell roll through me and just sat there lost in nothing. Staring at the wall I lost myself, it seemed to become easier and easier to do, to just stop thinking to just let things flow. I could hear the voice again urging me to stay there to not go back to let myself be disconnected, it didn't matter who I was not important. Snapping out of the trance like state I had fallen into I forced myself to focus on who I believed I was and what my purpose in life was. The headache increased blinding me for a minute and I just sat there holding my head in my hands, trying to keep my head from exploding. Whatever was happening I got a distinct feeling that I was dying. Now where in the hell did that come from! I wasn't dying I just had a severe migraine that's all brought on by lack off sleep, poor diet and stress.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great. 

Chapter 8 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 8 Disclaimer in part one
 


Winter Dakrness
part 8
by DIZZYDAME1211



"You better have good news for me Broots, to be waking me up this early."

"I have a counter agent to the first drug, but it has to be administered before the final stages take place or it's useless. I also have to tell you that this is the last time you'll be hearing from me Ms. Parker. Lyle doesn't know it yet but I placed a marker on his files, when he started searching for the person that hacked into his files I was notified. I won't let that demented psychopath find out it was me. I have to much at stake now Miss Parker, I can't put Debbie or myself at risk anymore. I hope you find Jarod in enough time and stay away from the Centre. It's worse then hell even the devil is frightened by that place. Disappear Parker, don't let them destroy you like they did your mother. I care about you and don't want to see you get hurt. Good-bye Miss Parker and be careful."

Hearing that Broots was running away from the Centre I silently wished him the best of luck and safety. Calling Sydney I told him everything that Broots had told me including that he was leaving the Centre and then told him that I had to find Jarod no matter what happened. Syd said he would help in any way he could and that he would do his best. Throwing on my clothes I grabbed my over night bag and started filling it with stuff. I had to find Jarod I had to tell him what happened and that I would have a way to fix it. Going out to my car I noticed that dawn was just breaking. How long, how long before time ran out for all of us. The Centre wouldn't take Broots defection lightly, but he was minor on the scale, not so important, except for what he knew. I shuddered and hoped that wherever he went there would be no way for the Centre to find him. Driving to the Centre I realized that once again they were taking away someone I loved in a more permanant capacity. I knew that after Jarod found out the extent to which the Centre had gone this time, he would probably disappear for good, that was if he was still alive. Sort of if we can't have him then no one can mentality. Looking at the building through my winsheild I could feel the hate for that place and the people inside of it spring up. I knew I would never forgive Lyle or my father for letting thos take place. Walking into the Centre I smiled and smirked at the apporiate times.

"Parker I 've been waiting for you Broots left me something for you."

"Let's take this some place else Syd."

Watching my sister and the good doctor start to leave the Centre again I made a bee-line for her office. I would search Sydney's next. Of couse that only offered minimal satisfaction, finding out that Broots the scaredgeek wasthe one that who had broke into my computer was an unexpected joy. I guess they underestimated good ole Bobby this time, the idiot didn't even think that maybe someone else knew there way around a computer and the ways to track a hacker. Of course the fact that I let every one assume that I was just a regular bad boy, gave me the edge I needed, so that no one suspected when something when wrong. Hearing my watch beep I smiled, the second to last stage had begun. Now either Jarod walked back into my arms, or I would easliy track him down becausse soon enough he would start to make mistakes, ones that would give him away rather quickly. Slipping back into my sister's office I got to work on the floor safe.

***

The Diner

"Broots left the counter agent and this."

"Monitobia, what the hell is that?"

"It's not a what it's a where, Monitobia is a small out of the way town in Alaska. It's not even big enough to be on any maps, but it is small enough to hide one man who doesn't want to be found."

"My God he's there, is Broots sure?"

"I believe he found it when Jarod hacked into the mainframe. He didn't cover his tracks very well. Then again the information he downloaded could have been the cause of that too."

"What did he find?"

"The Triumvert is hedging there bets if Jarod doesn't respond in the proper manner to the retraining he recieved then the last things they want him to grasp is that he is well and truely alone. The Triumveret has put a hit out on all of Jarod's family and they found his sister Emily. They sent him a download of Emily being killed. At this point Jarod is more then vunerable, he's probably blaming himself and ready to do whatever he has to to keep his family safe, even return. I am counting on you not to let that happen Parker, even if it means..."

"Even if it means what Syd! Even if it means what?"

"I rather not say, because to say it only fore tells of doom, and believe me Parker we are all doomed."

"God Sydney, do you even know what your saying, your saying that if there's no other way then I'm to.. to I can't even say it, those bastards have gone beyond too far, I won't let them force me into this. I won't let them destroy every one and thing I care about!"
 
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great. 

Chapter 9 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 9 Disclaimer in part one
 
 

Winter Dakrness
part 9
by DIZZYDAME1211



In the Diner

"Parker lower your voice you don't know who is listening. I suggest you take the utmost precaution. especially with Lyle in charge these days. He would love nothing more then to get you out of the way permanently."

"I don't give a damn about Lyle! There is something I need you to see Syd, but it's back in my office. If Lyle knows what's good for him then he'll stay out of my way, but I will be careful. Let's go I will give you the information then I need to start looking for your favorite lab rat."

Leaving the diner together I knew that once I showed Sydney the DSA's he would probably try to break Lyle's neck. Driving back to the Centre with Sydney following behind in his own car I wondered how far could Sydney be pushed before he too decided to forgo any allegiance to the Centre and the demented psychopaths that lead it. Forgetting Sydney I began worrying about Jarod again. God hadn't he suffered enough, could I really find him in enough time to save him or any of us. Parking my car I walked to the elevators and rode in silence with Sydney. When we walked into my office I could feel the difference immediately. Someone had been in here and not just once. Looking around I focused on the floor. So they found they found the floor safe, good. Whoever had come into my office I knew they had thought they found all there was to know and that they wouldn't search for anything else possibly hidden in here. Walking to the picture of my mother I had kept on my desk I slide the back out and let three DSA's fall into my hands. Knowing that Broots was now a fugitive just like Jarod I wondered again what would I be forced to do to protect those that I cared about.

"Here watch these."

Pulling out the DSA player I put the first disk in and let Sydney watch what I couldn't stop seeing in my mind's eye.

"My God what did Lyle think he was accomplishing by torturing Jarod this way?"

"What he already has accomplished. Jarod is close to breaking, closer then he's ever been. Your right he won't survive it, and if he does he'll never be the same."

"That bastard!"

"Sydney one aspect that we never looked at and I wouldn't know what to do in a case like this is the fact that Lyle hurt Jarod in more ways then Jarod could have possibly imagined."

Looking at the DSA I watched Lyle creep into the pretender's room and drug him. What came next horrified me. Shutting off the DSA player I fought with my stomach to keep whatever I had eaten down and inside of it. I knew Jarod knew about things and had learned about sexual intimacy on the outside world, but Jarod was still innocent to so many things. He wasn't so innocent anymore though. I knew how the mind worked and even in that drugged state Jarod still protested, to no avail Lyle had brutally forced himself on Jarod and raped him.

"How...how long?"

"What?"

"How long did Lyle...Did he."

"You can't even say it out loud can you Syd? Imagine living with that in your mind."

"You have to help him Parker. You have to save him."

"Help I can do that, save you got the wrong girl. I can't save anyone I couldn't even save my mother."

"You were a mere child back then, your a woman now, a woman who can give compassion, comfort and hope."

"Yeah well unless by some divine intervention I suddenly find Jarod I won't be giving anything but a eulogy. Because God knows if Jarod dies, so does Lyle."
 

Somewhere Else

Hearing the wind blowing outside I tried to imagine what it had to say and should I even be trying to hear it. Knowing that something was off in my body and that I was sick I thought about going to bed and lying down. The fact that the room didn't want to stop spinning told me that I was perhaps sicker then I thought. Walking slowly, like a ninety year old man I faced the bed and sat down on it. When the room still did it's dance I closed my eyes. I quickly snapped them open again. Every time I closed my eyes I could hear the wind and the walls breathing, I could also hear screams. I knew the screams were my own and that the flash backs were getting more frequent. Hell I didn't even remember what day it was or if this whole place was part of one continuos flash back and I was back in the Centre and this was all some drug induced hallucination. I couldn't think either every time I tried it hurt.

Every time I tried to wrap my flexible mind around anything it throbbed and caused blinding pain. Once again I thought about the fact that I was dying. If I was then wouldn't that make Parker happy, she could... Loosing the train of thought, I tried to get it back only to come back to the pain. Feeling something warm sliding from my nose I pushed myself up and headed to the bathroom. Turning on the light was a torture in itself. I grabbed tissue and wiped my nose. Great whatever was wrong I could add nose bleeds to it.

Feeling this room spinning as well I put my hands on the sink. God feeling the heat in this place I pulled up and went to the door. I could see my hands shaking as I pulled the door, turning I went back in the house and grabbed my cell phone. Stumbling to the door I went outside and stood in the snow, wondering if the cold could stop the overwhelming heat I felt. Breathing deeply I dialed the number I didn't have to even think about. Oh well a dead pretender was better then no pretender.
 
 
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great. 

Chapter 10 by DIZZYDAME1211
Winter Dakrness - part 10 Disclaimer in part one
 
 

Winter Dakrness
part 10
by DIZZYDAME1211




Hearing my cell phone ringing I sent up a silent prayer that it was Jarod.

Waiting for the my sister to answer the phone I listened in and activated the trace. God this was going to be to easy. Smiling to myself I congratulated myself on my ingenuity. Soon I would have my toy back and than we would have some serious fun.

"Hello."

"Why Parker I didn't know you knew how to answer a phone in such a cordial manner."

Hearing the tremble in that voice I knew there was pain there and lots of it.

"Are you okay?"

"Why do you care, I would think that my dying would be something of a joy to you."

"No it's not I have to return you alive wonder boy."

"Well, that might not be true anymore but we can all dream. I only called to ask one thing of you."

"What is it?"

"Keep my family safe. I know that Emily is de..."

Forcing myself to go on I walked a little farther from the house.

"She's dead because of me I don't want anyone else I love hurt. That goes for you too I guess. Once I'm gone get away, get far away from them Parker."

Good just thirty more seconds and I had him.

"Your not going anywhere, do you hear me. Not yet anyway."

"I know what I know Parker and what I know is that time is short."

"Tell me where you are I can"

"You can what take advantage of the situation. I already told you I am never going back there."

"I don't want to bring you back not like this, please tell me where you are." Hearing the plea and something else in her voice I made my choice.

"It's snowing, it's beautiful and cold. You should see the way the snow makes the ground and the trees look. It's like there's no one and nothing else in the world, just the snow."

Hanging up the phone I could feel my body starting to succumb to the cold I talked about. Hypothermia would set in if it hadn't already. Trudging back to the house I closed the door and went straight to the bed. Shaking as I pulled the covers around me I prayed that I made the right decision.

Calling for the plane I told Sydney about my conversation with Jarod.

"He's fighting the drugs effects, the longer he fights the weaker he'll become. Hurry Parker."

Leaving the Centre I drove to the airstrip and boarded the plane. I wouldn't
let Jarod go that easily.

Seeing my sister race out of the Centre I smiled maybe I would get to new toys. Making arrangements to fly to farthest point in Canada I smiled again. Soon I would have everything I wanted
 

Feedback please I am not to sure on my formatting any suggestions and any feed back on my story would be great.

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=4921