Angel's Hope by ScifiColleen
Summary: One woman's vision started with a Prodigy and ended with a Mirage. For her it was always about her Angels Hope.
Categories: Post IOTH Characters: All the characters
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 103279 Read: 284476 Published: 06/06/05 Updated: 06/06/05

1. A New Genesis by ScifiColleen

2. Travel Time by ScifiColleen

3. New Aquitances by ScifiColleen

4. Eyes Made Wide Open by ScifiColleen

5. Actions & Consequences by ScifiColleen

6. New Alliances by ScifiColleen

7. Hidden Truths by ScifiColleen

8. Reflections by ScifiColleen

9. Aftermath by ScifiColleen

10. Backdraft by ScifiColleen

11. Rise & Fall by ScifiColleen

12. Nightmares & Dreams by ScifiColleen

13. Rebirth by ScifiColleen

14. Reflections & Prisms by ScifiColleen

15. Ties That Bind by ScifiColleen

16. Connections by ScifiColleen

17. Lost & Found by ScifiColleen

18. Resurgence by ScifiColleen

19. Turn Of The Wheel by ScifiColleen

20. The Game: Act 1 by ScifiColleen

21. Act 1 Scene 2 by ScifiColleen

22. Act 1 Scene 3 by ScifiColleen

23. Act 2 Scene 1 by ScifiColleen

24. Act 2 Scene 2 by ScifiColleen

25. Act 2 Scene 3 by ScifiColleen

26. Act 3 Scene 2 by ScifiColleen

27. Feelings & Fall Outs by ScifiColleen

28. The Truth Behid Love and Hate by ScifiColleen

29. Expanding Horizons by ScifiColleen

30. Hearts Of Fancy by ScifiColleen

31. Entanglements And Betrayals by ScifiColleen

32. Paths To Take by ScifiColleen

33. Destiny Arising by ScifiColleen

34. Destined Journeys by ScifiColleen

35. Uneasy Times by ScifiColleen

A New Genesis by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: The Characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots and The Center are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and are used without permission. Blah, blah, blah, yea, yea just get on with it. No money has been involved here and no infringement is intended.


Angels Hope
A New Genesis



It was late in the morning hours. The room was dark except for a computer monitor glow that illuminated a small area of the desk that it sat upon. A woman with long brown curly hair sat there looking at the screen intensely. It had been a long day, her 43rd birthday. What a festive day it had been. A party with all the trimmings. Cake, balloons, and more food than anyone could imagine. Everyone at the commune had a good time, but she had other things in the back of her mind. She had been cordial and enjoyed the festivities, but all she wanted was nothing more than to get back to her computer. She thought back to earlier that day when her friend, mentor and mother figure, Joan Stedman, had scolded her.

"Lily, hello. Are you among us?" asked Joan annoyed.

She had been looking at the crowd, but her mind was elsewhere. She smiled a smile that could have lit a hundred cities. "Yes, Joan. Stop worrying about me."

"This is supposed to be your birthday celebration. All I see is your body here, but your mind is a million miles away. I can just guess what you are concentrating so strongly on. I've known you for thirty-nine years and you can't fool me. So don't even try to make some sad excuse."

"I received some information early this morning about the Centre. I want to go and study it." Lily replied.

"Lily. What am I going to do with you? You are no longer a child, looking for answers from fairytales. Haven't I told you before that the time is not right yet to confront the Centre? Your training all these years will be in vain if the confrontation takes place too soon." Joan frowned. "I swear. You have been incorrigible since you found out about that place."

"You and everyone here at Angel's Hope have protected and trained me for years for this ultimate confrontation with evil. But you never gave me a name, a face, an entity. Now I finally find out who I am suppose to fight against and you tell me to forget about it." Lily stomped her foot as if she were that child that had been brought to this refuge of safety all those years ago.

"You have a stubborn streak regardless of your gift for genius." Joan added.

"Why have we been doing all this work over the years if we are going to let a place like the Centre destroy the good in the world?"

Joan decided to change strategies. "Would you be willing to risk the others, including your own twin sister, to satisfy your curiosity?"

Lily shot her a look, then closed her eyes. "Of course not. I would never put the others in danger. And stop playing psychiatrist for just a moment please. "

She continued ignoring the last comment. "Well that's what you will do if you keep pursuing this. Now let it drop and enjoy the festivities. You are going to upset your sister, Rebecca. Remember that it's her birthday too and you know how she can pick up on your emotions."

Lily let out a great sigh. "Fine. You win. I will enjoy the remainder of the day and not think about the Centre." She put her two fingers up in the air, while crossing her fingers behind her back.

Joan started walking toward the other group of partygoers. "I saw that." She just smiled as she continued walking.

"How does she do that?" Lily thought to herself as she followed Joan back to the party.

******

It was hours later and the party had gone well. She did all the standard birthday traditions - blowing out the candles and opening presents. Now she was sitting in front of her computer reading the information she had wanted to study all day. The head of the Centre was a Dr. William Raines. Under his direction was a man named Mr. Lyle. He had a very sinister past. He was the son of Raines' partner, Mr. Parker. Mr. Parker was missing at the present time. Mr. Parker also had a daughter who worked at the Centre. Governing the corporation was a group called the Triumvirate. She needed to learn more about these people if she was going to defeat them.

"I need to leave Angel's Hope." she said out loud for the first time since seeing the information. It had been strictly forbidden without protection. Protection that she had had since she was four years old. Never alone and always watched. She had been told for their safety. They were very special children who had remarkable gifts. Gifts that had been nurtured and cultivated over the years. The founder of Angel's Hope had saved them from the horrible evil. They had been told this story over and over since she was a child.

"Always give back to the world what you take from it." Joan had said. It was Angel's Hope's motto. "Do unto others what they do unto you." she had also said.

"I'm trying Joan. This place has given me so much; I need to give back now." Lily said to herself. She laughed, she was once again talking to herself. But she would not be able to do her research if the guards were with her. They would immediately tell Joan and that was unacceptable. She hated that her life was under constant scrutiny. She started planning on how she would exact her escape. So she could research the Centre and find out who exactly sent her this information that unlocked the key to her past.

*********

Baltimore, Maryland

February 2nd

Jarod sat in a lonely hotel room eating candy out of one of his many Pez dispensers. He had gotten back from the Island of Carthis tired and confused. He had decided that he wanted a vacation. Correction, a new life. So much had happened.

"Parker" he whispered. His feelings for Parker and what he had hoped were her feelings for him. But in the end, she had rejected him. Rejected the proposition of possibly having a relationship other than he runs and she chases.

Prior to that he had found out that he had a brother, Ethan. A brother who was also Parker's half brother. "Another tie that binds." Jarod thought to himself. He had almost contacted his Mom on Carthis. He was so close, had it not been for the Centre once again interfering in his life. He would have been able to reunite his family for the first time in over thirty years. But here he was again, tired and alone. He was so tired of being alone. Maybe it was just the fact of the date. He picked up his cell phone and hit the speed dial.

"What." Came Parker's voice over the phone. She had just poured herself a drink and really was not in the mood for this.

"I see that Raines still has you in one piece Miss Parker." Jarod stated.

"Physically yes, but mentally......." Parker trailed off. She closed her eyes and bit her bottom lip.

Jarod thought for a second. His anger subsided by concern after hearing Parker's voice. "Quite a lot happened in the last few months huh?"

"Yeah, you could say that."

"Have you heard anything from Ethan?" Jarod asked

"Just a note saying that he was OK, but was going to take some time to sort things out. Find out who he is. I guess he has to purge all the crap that Raines fed him." Parker paused and took a swig of whiskey. "I miss him Jarod."

"Me too. I hope he's safe." Jarod was concerned for his baby brother. He knew that Raines would be looking for him.

Parker heard the voices that she had been coming to know more clearly. Ethan had showed her that they were her guidance. Her mother. "He's fine."

"Your mother always keeps watch over us, doesn't she?" Jarod asked knowing that Parker and Ethan had a connection that he only had read about. He had done research on the phenomena once he learned of Ethan's gift.

"Yes, I like to think so." Parker looked at the picture of her and her mother. "I think we just have to give Ethan some space. He has allot to digest."

"As do we." Jarod added.

"As do we." Parker repeated letting her mind shift to the events of the Island and her father. Or more correctly, who was her father.

He broke the short silence. "Anything surface about your father and the scrolls?" Jarod asked

"No. I haven't heard anything about my father. I don't know how at his age he would be able to survive a parachute jump at that altitude." Parker choked, then cleared her throat. "But he's a Parker and that makes him a survivor. Can't kill a Parker." She repeated the line that her father had said to her in the hospital after she had been shot in the back.

"I know the pain you're going through. I saw it in your eyes when your mother was supposedly killed in the elevator and when Tommy died."

"Damn you Jarod." Parker bit back tears. "You have a hell of a way of bringing up the wrong subjects at the wrong times."

"You're going to have to face your emotions at some point Parker." Now it was Jarod's turn to pause. Should he proceed with his original thought? "I could help you."

"Misdirected emotions lead to madness." She downed the remainder of her drink. "Oh by the way - Happy Birthday." Jarod didn't respond. "Would have gotten you a present, but wasn't sure where to send it. Care to give me your address?" She said in her best sarcastic voice. No comeback. "Hello, Pez Boy, I said Happy Birthday." She waited again for a response. Her sarcasm now turned to concern. "Jarod?"

"I'm here. Thank you." Jarod responded in a low voice.

"Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to face a few things?" Parker responded back.

" Maybe you're right." Jarod hung up the phone. Maybe he was going to have to face a few things. He picked up the donut on the table in front of him and lit the candle sticking out of it. He closed his eyes and made a wish. He opened his eyes and blew out the candle. "But I can keep wishing."

********

Lily looked carefully around the hall. She was carrying light - a backpack and jacket. She took a clicker out of her pocket and pointed it at the camera that spanned the door. She clicked the button, which sent the camera into a picture loop. She approached the door looking both ways to make sure that no one was coming. She took out the device that she had made in her lab that located and programmed the lock codes into the door. She had made both the devices earlier in her life when she had dreams of leaving Angel's Hope just to be able to go out into the world alone for once in her life. She put the card portion in the lock and typed in Joan's name. The machine started to enter the code.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" A figure was standing in the shadows.

Lily spun around in shock. She recognized the voice. "Becky, you scared me to death." Lily was looking at Rebecca. She also had a backpack slung over her shoulder that caught her dirty blonde curly hair.

"Well if you weren't sneaking around at the wee hours of the morning, then I wouldn't have scared you now would I?" Becky responded with that look she always gave her sister when she was doing something she wasn't suppose to. "You know Joan will have a coronary."

The door code entered itself and the door clicked open. "I have to do this Beck. I don't know why, but I know the answers are out there. The answers to the questions I have had my whole life. And just how did you know I was here?"

"I know you have been unhappy for a while and that you received some information that you just decided you couldn't share with me. Your sister." Becky said with a hurt in her voice. "I felt today that you were up to something, so I decided to join you. Watch your back."

She envied her sister's gift, which she did not possess. "Becky, it's too dangerous. I don't know who or what I'm going to be up against. Plus Joan would have a fit if both of us left." Lily responded. She started out the door.

Becky followed. "I'm going and if you don't let me go I'm blowing the whistle right now." She folded her arms across her chest.

"You are acting like a child." Lily snapped.

"And you're not. At forty-three years of age, you're running away from home." Becky was holding the door open. "So what is it? Do I go or do I turn you in?"

"Ahh, fine. Come on." Both woman left together to find what the future held.

*********

Jarod was just finishing his donut when his computer said "You have Mail." He went to the computer expecting something from possibly Angelo. He opened the e-mail and started reading. After a few moments he looked up. "No, not again." He grabbed his bag and started putting things in it. "They can't do this to another child. Don't these people ever give up?" He grabbed his bag and left the room. He threw the bag into the car and got in the other side. He sped out of the parking lot and headed for Delaware.

**********

Once they had cleared the outer guards at Angel's Hope, the stopped to rest.

"Ok Einstein. Are we going to walk all the way to where we're going? Couldn't we get one of the cars from the car pool?" Becky pleaded.

"If you're not up to this you can always go back." Lily responded half hoping her sister would go back. "We can't get a car from the motor pool because it would be traceable and they could report it stolen. Zap, we're back at Angel's Hope."

"Well then are we walking all the way?" Becky asked

"No, I have this." Lily pulled a credit card from her pocket. "We'll rent a car."

"How did you get that?" Becky asked snatching the card from Lily.

"Anything is possible with a computer." Lily responded smugly and took the card back. "Come on. We have a while to go to get into town." Lily started up the hill.

Becky looked at Lily. "Lil, by the way where are we going?"

Lily turned around and looked at Becky. "Blue Cove, Delaware." She turned and started up the hill again.

"Delaware! That's all the way across the country. We're going to drive all that way?"

"I know. We'll take a plane out of Denver. That's why you better get moving." Lily called back.

"I hope you have one heck of a limit on that credit card." Becky stated as she caught up with Lily.

***********

The funny thing about life is that it always seems to deal you new cards when you least expect them.

Little did anyone know that in the life of Pretenders, there were two worlds with one destiny.
Travel Time by ScifiColleen
The funny thing about life is that it always seems to deal you new cards when you least expect them.

Little did anyone know that in the life of Pretenders, there were two worlds with one destiny.

**********


Angels Hope
Travel Time



Card #1

Becky was starting to lag behind. "Lil", she was panting, "Wait up."

Lily had been going on at a good pace. She was a very athletic built woman and was in good shape. "Come on slow poke. This has been exhilarating."

"Lily, I'm not use to this. Slow down." She stopped in place and kicked the snow. "I'm not going another step."

Lily turned around. "OK. We'll stop for a bit." She found a boulder for them to sit on. She pulled the backpack off her back and opened it. After digging in the bag, she pulled out a bag of peanuts. 'Want some? Good in protein." She offered the bag.

Becky came over and plopped herself on the rock. "I think I'm going to have to get a moped to keep up with you." She put her hand out for some peanuts.

Lily pulled out a bottle of water. "Here. Have a drink. I told you all those years you should have taken gym class more seriously. Or at least been doing aerobics, tai chi, something the last couple of years." Lily laughed.

"Excuse me for liking Evita over Richard Simmons. I am the artsy one. You smart and athletic, me computer geek and music literate." Becky retorted. "I wish I were playing my piano right now."

Lily looked at Becky. She was obviously tired and breathing heavily. "You could go back." She said very seriously.

"If I went back, I would have to squeal on you. You know Joan has a way of getting things out of me. She's like the mother we never had. Besides you promised me an adventure." Becky smiled at Lily and mock punched her in the arm.

"OK, over that hill and then we'll be in town. I have the car already reserved. We pick it up and then head for Denver International Airport. Adventure Begins." Lily put the peanuts and bottled water back in the backpack and started her walk again. Becky rubbed her aching legs and got up to follow. She decided to play Mozart in her head to pass the time walking.

*************

Card #2

Jarod had stopped at a hotel on the outskirts of Blue Cove. He knew being this close was dangerous, but he had to figure his next plan of attack. The message had been sent saying that Lyle was bringing the five year old child to the Centre. He wasn't sure if she had gone through Charleston, SC or if they were bringing her straight to the Centre. They may not have chanced taking her to Angel Manor since Jarod knew of it's existence and had already stolen their last Pretender, Davey, from there. Jarod opened his computer and started an e-mail to Angelo. He needed more information. After a few minutes, his e-mail chimed that he had a reply. He quickly opened the e-mail and began to read. A confused look came over Jarod's face. "If you didn't send me the information Angelo, then who did?"

**************

Card #3

Miss Parker lay in bed. One of the many nightmares that invaded her sleep had occurred. She had awoken thinking about Jarod. About the Island. About who she was descended from. The monster that was her great-grandfather. The outcast Jarod had said she was. And how she had wanted to be comforted by him. She remembered:

"Let the storm rage outside, Miss Parker. Not inside you." Jarod had said

"Easy for you to say Jarod. There's a graveyard full of Parker's burned to death by their father. My great grandfather. The same year my great grandfather arrived alone and founded the Centre. Generation after generation. That evil has been passed down to me." Parker stated.

"You know who you are." Jarod replied back.

"I'm a Parker. And with every new revelation in my life, my family portrait becomes a more hideous picture." Jarod had handed her a soothing cup of tea, but nothing was going to soothe her. They had continued to talk about the Centre and how it had consumed both their lives.

She then she had spoken the words she had kept hidden inside all these years. "Why is it that the one person that I have been trained to distrust, to hate, to capture is always with me during the most difficult moments of my life."

"Maybe, it's suppose to be that way...."Jarod had stated with passion in his eyes.

How they had almost kissed at Ocee's and how much she had wanted to kiss him. But in the car she had chosen survival over Jarod. She had hurt him. Even though she wasn't looking at him, she knew that he had been hurt. Could feel it. And ever since, her mother's voice had been in her mind telling her she had made the wrong decision. "I can't show them any weakness Mother." She talked to the thin air, but knew her mother was listening. "It's too dangerous right now." But inside, she craved the one person who could save her from the mess that was her life.

**************

The girls had dropped off the rental car at the station. They were entering the airport, when Lily spotted one of the Retrieval Team members. She pushed Becky up against the wall. They had found the plane tickets in the rental car as she had instructed the travel agent.

"Becky, we have to figure out some way to get to Gate 4 without Larry seeing us." Lily said truly nervous now. She had thought they would have more time before they knew the two were gone.

"Lily, look." Becky was pointing to a large group of tourists following a tour guide. "Can we blend into them?"

"It's worth a try Sis." Lily responded. She headed for the group, tilting her head down as to hide her face. Becky did the same. They successfully avoided the Retriever. They slipped out of the crowd and headed for Gate 4. Lily and Becky approached the boarding area and checked in before boarding the plane. It was daylight now and they had booked the first plane to Delaware. "They know now that we're missing, it's going to be a race to see who gets to Delaware first." Lily stated while scanning the area.

"We'll have to be on alert. You know Joan will be with the Retrieval Team when they come after us Lil. We'll be running from the one person that I have felt safe with all my life since we got to Angel's Hope." Becky added after sitting in one of the waiting area chairs. "I feel like one of America's Most Wanted."

Lily came and sat next to her and pulled a file out of her backpack. "I know." She put her head against Becky's. "I know. Think we'll end up on the Post Office wall?" She smiled at her sister and opened the file. "I think our first course of action is to find a motel close to Blue Cove. We'll rent a car at the airport. We'll do a surveillance of the grounds so that I can get an idea of the layout of the Centre. I have basic floor plans here, but not as detailed as I had hoped."

"Lil", Becky started, "who sent you the information?"

"I don't know. I just received an e-mail with the information. It said that it was vital to the survival of my family and a key to my past. So that makes it a key to our past." Lily replied looking back down at the plans putting them to memory.

"How do you know that this isn't some sort of trap? If this is the place that they told us about for all those years, then they want us. May have been looking for us all these years." Becky took the file. She got a flash of a man typing the e-mail. Scared. Angry.

Lily looked at her. "Anything?"

"A man scared and angry, but not dangerous to us I think. I think he wants us to help someone, but I'm not sure whom?" Becky replied still trying to decipher her vision.

"How I envy you for being able to do that." Lily was impressed with her sister's ability and how she had learned to control the visions.

"You wouldn't say that if you got the wicked headaches they cause sometimes." Becky replied not being able to see anything further. "I think he has something to do with both the Centre and Angel's Hope, but I'm not sure. And I don't believe he means you any harm."

"That's good to know. Just wished I knew why he was doing it. What is his connection between the two places?" Lily was contemplating.

"Now boarding Gate 4 to Blue Cove, Delaware." They heard announced over the intercom. The girls stood up and were last in line to go past the attendant. Lily handed the attendant her ticket and passed. Becky was handing her ticket, when a commotion began behind her.

"Stop that plane!" They heard yelled from the crowd of people.

Becky quickly took back her ticket and pushed Lily through the boarding ramp to the plane. The attendant closed and locked the door just as Joan and Larry reached the door. Lily could see Joan through the window, nodded her head and waved. She then turned and boarded the plane.

Joan watched as the loading ramp was retracted and the plane took off. "Get me the next flight to Delaware." She stated to Larry with an angered tone.

*******************

Jarod had lain down in order to get some rest before he entered the Centre that evening. He hated going into that place. But on several occasions he had been forced to and this was no exception. He would not let them harm another child, even if he had to steal back every single one they took. His sleep was restless. He dreamed of his own abduction and how he had screamed for his mother and father. Then he saw his mother's face. As she had been on the Island, worn and tired. She had been trying to find out who he was. But what did that mean?

"Who are you Jarod?" He could hear his mother's voice whisper.

"Who am I Mother?" He heard himself respond back. He awoke with a start and sat straight up. "Mom?" He called out into the darkness. Then realized where he was and hung his head. He got out of bed and went into the bathroom to splash water on his face. He started getting ready for his trip to the Centre.

*************

Lily and Becky disembarked the plane and surveyed the area. "I don't see any Retrievers. I think we got here first." Becky shook her head in agreement while contributing to the surveillance. "Let's get the car and get out of here." Lily and Becky headed for the rental car station.

An hour later, they had a car and were heading for a remote motel on the outskirts of Blue Cove. They checked in and went to a small store for supplies. They ate and spent the rest of the afternoon going over different simulations of what could happen at the Centre and if they were found at the hotel. They considered every situation. It would be nighttime soon. Becky laid down and fell asleep quickly. Lily lay on her bed unable or unwilling to sleep. She had never executed one of her own simulations herself. It had always been one of the Retrieval Team that had gone and done the job. To make things worse, she had Becky with her. She had to make sure nothing went wrong. She fell into a non-restful sleep.

**************

Card #4

Jarod left his room and got into his car. He was going to go in through the North area ventilation system. That was their weakest spot. The child was suppose to be held in the renovated SL 27 subsection. Angelo was doing reconnaissance for him and he would meet him in one of the ventilation shafts they used as children. Jarod started his car and headed for the Centre.

The sound of a car starting woke Lily up. She looked at the clock. It was 9 p.m. Time to get ready. "Becky, wake up." She nudged Becky slightly. Lily had to laugh to herself. She had had dreams of monsters and evil men and here was Becky grinning in her sleep. Obviously dreaming something pleasant and wonderful. She envied Becky's ability to do that, shut out the outside world. She shook her again. "Becky."

Becky opened her eyes. "Is it morning?" She asked knowing that it would irk her sister and hopefully lighten her mood.

"Get up, you." Lily saw right through her. "We have to go."

"Ok. Can I take a bubble bath first?" Becky smiled as she got out of bed.

"Get your backpack." Lily pushed her sister slightly. "Remind me never to lend you to her Majesty's Secret Service."

"I think you have seen one too many James Bond movies." Becky picked up her bag.

Lily grabbed her's and took the map off the table. "Let's go." Both headed for the car.

Jarod had met Angelo who had showed him where the little girl was. As they observed her, she looked catatonic. "They did to her what they did to me?" Angelo asked.

"Yes, Angelo. Somehow they did it again. We have to get her out of here and to safety where I can make the anecdote. I just hope it's not too late." Jarod took out his laptop and entered the security code he had stolen out of the Centre's Main Frame. He disabled the room's security system and crawled down into the room. He scooped up the little girl and handed her to Angelo. Then he reentered the shaft and closed the grate. He went back to the computer and enabled the system again. "Angelo, lets get out of here."

"I help you." Angelo stated to Jarod stroking the young girl's long hair. Angelo helped Jarod go back through the ventilation system. Jarod was holding the young girl and feeling like he had failed her. He hadn't been there to protect her against the monsters of the Centre. Before exiting the system Angelo grabbed Jarod's arm. Jarod turned to look at him. "Not your fault." Angelo nodded at the girl. Jarod half smiled at Angelo, not believing what he had said. When they got outside, Jarod headed for his car with Angelo behind him.

Lily and Becky were scouting the North area of the Centre's perimeter when they spotted a figure carrying a small body. Lily swung her bag around and pulled out the one thing she was hoping she would never have to use. Lily approached the dark figure and pointed her gun at him. "Put the child down." She ordered.

Jarod in one motion threw the little girl over his shoulder, pulled his gun that had been tucked into the back of his pants and pointed it at the figure standing before him. "Never."

And there they stood across from each other, with guns pointed at each other's chest.

******************

A moment in time, a shuffle of the deck, and destiny begins
New Aquitances by ScifiColleen
Angels Hope
New Aquitances



Lily and Becky were scouting the North area of the Centre's perimeter when they spotted a figure carrying a small body. Lily swung her bag around and pulled out the one thing she was hoping she would never have to use. Lily approached the dark figure and pointed her gun at him. "Put the child down." She ordered.

Jarod in one motion threw the little girl over his shoulder, pulled his gun that had been tucked into the back of his pants, and pointed it at the figure standing before him. "Never."

And there they stood across from each other, with guns pointed at each other's chest.

"Put the child down or I will shoot you." Lily stated again.

"I would rather die than let you Centre personnel get another child. So where is your boss Mr. Lyle?" Jarod growled at Lily.

"I'm not from the Centre, you are. We saw you carrying that poor little girl to the Centre." Lily bantered back.

"I'm not carrying her to there; I'm carrying her from there." Jarod tried to explain. "They are going to do terrible things to her if you don't let us go."

"No. Lies. That place is evil and we saw you going there. Put the child down." Lily was getting frustrated.

"Lily no, maybe we should listen to him. Can we really say that he was coming or going?" Becky didn't want a misunderstanding to erupt into gunfire.

"Jarod good man. Good soul." Angelo chimed in.

Jarod decided to make the first gesture. He put his gun down and laid the girl on the ground. Looking up while kneeling next to the girl. "OK. I've done what you asked. Now put the gun down. Who are you and what are you doing here?"

"I'm not answering any questions until I get some answers. What is wrong with her?" Lily pointed her gun toward the little girl. "What did you do to her?"

"I didn't do anything. The Centre did. She has been conditioned to become a Pretender. And you better hurry and make up your mind about me because pretty soon we are all going to be escorted into the Centre." Jarod knew they were losing valuable time.

"He's right Lil. We have to figure out something soon. I can feel it." Becky added to the conversation.

"Danger. They're coming Jarod." Angelo also added.

Becky decided to take the matter into her own hands. She quickly moved to Jarod and touched his arm.

"Becky don't!" But Lily was too late. Becky was already reading Jarod. "Well?"

"He's telling the truth Lily. He's been part of the Centre, but now he's fighting against them." Becky looked into Jarod's eyes. "I'm so sorry." She got up and walked back over to Lily.

Lily debated one more minute and lowered her gun.

******************

The alarms were sounded and bells were ringing on every level. Men were running everywhere. Sydney ran out of his office, he had been working late on a research project.

"What's happening?" He asked one of the techs running by.

"Breach in security Doctor." She ran off down the hall.

"Jarod." Sydney smiled. He knew that the only one who ever could breach security was Jarod. He decided to go to Lyle's office. Lyle was in a state of frustration. "What's happening Lyle?"

"Your boy wonder has yet again disrupted one of our projects." Lyle slammed his fists on the desk. "And if that's not enough, that freak Angelo is also missing."

"Angelo is missing?" Now Sydney was concerned.

"I'm heading the search team. Get out of my way Sydney." Lyle pushed Sydney out of the way.

Sydney hoped that if Angelo was out of the Centre, then at least he was with Jarod.

*************

"Thank you for trusting me. My name is Jarod." He said to Lily.

"I'm Lily. This is my sister Becky. And if Becky says that you are OK, then you are OK. She's never wrong." She replied.

"Jarod in danger. I'm going to distract." Angelo said as he headed back toward the Centre.

"Angelo no!" Jarod semi shouted. But it was too late. Angelo was already heading for the Centre at full speed.

"We have to get her out of here now." Jarod stated picking up the little girl.

"Are you going to let him go back there?" Becky asked.

"I don't have time to explain, but he is actually safer there. He wouldn't survive in the outside world."

"We have a place not far from here. We can take her there..........." Lily started, but never got to finish. Standing in front of her was Miss Parker. Her 9mm pointed right at the group.

"I don't think you'll be going anywhere." Parker stated.

"Good evening Miss Parker. Out for a nighttime stroll?" Jarod asked sarcastically.

"Jarod, who's this?" Lily asked.

"Meet the Centre's number one tracker, Miss Parker." Jarod introduced Lily and Becky.

"And whom do we have here?" Parker asked motioning to the sisters. "And don't either of you try for your weapons. Throw them here." Parker motioned to her feet.

Lily looked at Jarod. Jarod shook his head yes and Lily threw her weapon towards Parker.

"Let them go Parker. The Centre has nothing to do with either of them." Jarod pleaded as he threw his gun down.

"If they have nothing to do with the Centre Jarod. Then what the hell are they doing here?" Parker surmised.

"Listen lady. I don't know who you are, but we have a very sick little girl here and the clock is ticking." Lily wanted to try and distract Parker.

Parker took a closer look at the girl in Jarod's arms. "Another child?" Parker's tone softened.

"Yes and we're running out of time Miss Parker. Pretty soon we may not be able to reverse the effects."

"Jarod, you know I have to bring you in. I have no choice." Suddenly something struck Parker in the side of her throat. "Damn! What the ..........." She collapsed onto the ground.

Lily, Jarod, and Becky ran to the woman. "What happened?" Lily pulled out a small dart from her neck. "It's a dart." She showed it to Jarod. She spotted a red light on Jarod's neck. The next thing she knew, Jarod was grabbing his neck and collapsed next to Miss Parker. "Jarod."

"Centre personnel?" Becky whispered.

"They're using a scope to fire the darts." Lily searched the area for where the firing was occurring. She spotted several dark figures coming towards them. She desperately looked underneath Miss Parker for her gun.

"That won't be necessary Lily." Came a familiar voice from the figures.

"Joan?" Asked Becky.

Joan Stedman came into view. She had a Retrieval Team with her. "Get the two and the child and take them back to the van." She turned toward Lily and Becky. "And you have given us quite a bit of trouble ladies. Now let's go."

Lily gave Joan a look. "Go where Joan? That little girl needs help and you just neutralized the only person who knows how to help her."

"No one can help her. It has been too long since her conditioning. Now we will bring her back and try to help her like the others."

"You go back. I'm going to deal with them." Lily nodded in the direction of the voices that were coming closer.

Two of the Retrieval Team members moved closer to Lily. "No you won't Lily. You have already jeopardized everything we have worked for all these years."

"This is what I have been programmed for all these years. I'm not going back to Angel's Hope."

Joan nodded her head. The Retrieval Team members grabbed Lily's arms.

"Joan what are you doing?" Asked Becky

"What I have to do." With that Joan turned to see Lily flipping backwards out of the team members hands and kicking them to the ground. "Get her!"

The team got to their feet and one tackled Lily to the ground. Joan ran over and took a syringe out of her pocket. Quickly she shot it into Lily's arm.

"Joan. Why............" Lily fell into unconsciousness.
Eyes Made Wide Open by ScifiColleen
Angels Hope
Eyes Made Wide Open



"Jarod, you know I have to bring you in. I have no choice." Suddenly something struck Parker in the side of her throat. "Damn! What the ..........." She collapsed onto the ground. In the distance the group heard muffled voices.

Lily, Jarod, and Becky ran to the woman. "What happened?" Lily pulled out a small dart from her neck. "It's a dart." She showed it to Jarod. She spotted a red light on Jarod's neck. The next thing she knew, Jarod was grabbing his neck and collapsed next to Miss Parker. "Jarod."

"Centre personnel?" Becky whispered.

"They're using a scope to fire the darts." Lily searched the area for where the firing was occurring. She spotted several dark figures coming towards them. She desperately looked underneath Miss Parker for her gun.

"That won't be necessary Lily." Came a familiar voice from the figures.

"Joan?" Asked Becky.

Joan Stedman came into view. She had a Retrieval Team with her. "Get the two and the child and take them back to the van." She turned toward Lily and Becky. "And you have given us quite a bit of trouble ladies. Now let's go."

Lily gave Joan a look. "Go where Joan? That little girl needs help and you just neutralized the only person who knows how to help her."

"No one can help her. It has been too long since her conditioning. Now we will bring her back and try to help her like the others."

"You go back. I'm going to deal with them." Lily nodded in the direction of the voices that were coming closer.

Two of the Retrieval Team members moved closer to Lily. "No you won't Lily. You have already jeopardized everything we have worked for all these years."

"This is what I have been programmed for all these years. I'm not going back to Angel's Hope."

Joan nodded her head. The Retrieval Team members grabbed Lily's arms.

"Joan what are you doing?" Asked Becky

"What I have to do." With that Joan turned to see Lily flipping backwards out of the team members hands and kicking them to the ground. "Get her!"

The team got to their feet and one tackled Lily to the ground. Joan ran over and took a syringe out of her pocket. Quickly she shot it into Lily's arm.

"Joan. Why............" Lily fell into unconsciousness.

Joan picked up the weapons off the ground and handed them to one of her assistants. She then turned to Becky and pulled out another syringe. "Becky?"

Becky looked at Joan and the syringe. "Where's the van?" Becky and Joan followed the Team carrying Lily to the van.

Joan took her phone out of her pocket. "What is the status of the plane coming in from Morocco?"

The voice on the other end informed the psychiatrist that the plane was at the Blue Cove airstrip.

"Good. We're on our way in. Have the jet ready to fly." Everyone got into the van.

Becky sat in the passenger seat with a team member on either side. She looked back at the others unconscious in the back of the van. "What's going to happen now Joan?"

"I don't know. But we're going home." The van took off into the night just as the Centre personnel reached where Jarod and Lily had stood.

***********************

Angelo had run circles around the Sweeper Team and they had lost valuable time. Lyle could see the van taking off into the night. "Get a Sweeper Team to follow that van. Jarod's got my prize possession and I want it back!"

"Yes Mr. Lyle." Sam stated.

Lyle checked out the ground. There seemed to be the impression of heeled shoes. "It looks like there was some kind of commotion here. Get a team out here to check every bit of ground. I want to know what went on here." Lyle went to head back to the Centre when he spotted Angelo. "And put him back in his cage." He motioned at Angelo with a fling of his hand.

"Yes Sir."

Angelo looked back at the taillights in the distance as he was being escorted and smiled.

**********************

Lily's eyes fluttered open. A nurse was standing over her removing an IV out of her arm. She looked around and realized she was back in her room at Angel's Hope. She tried to sit up, but was too groggy and fell back onto the bed. The nurse swiped her card and left the room.

"Don't try to get up yet Lily. You still have the anesthetic in your system."

Lily tried to focus and realized that Becky was sitting at the foot of her bed.

"What happened?" Lily asked in a raspy voice.

"Joan felt that it would be better if she kept you sedated for a while." Becky got off the bed and went to pour a glass of water out of a pitcher on the nightstand. She went over to Lily. "Here, have a drink."

Lily took a sip and laid back down. "How long have I been out?"

"Three days." Becky looked down at the glass.

Lily tried to get up again. "Three days! I have to get up......." She collapsed again on the bed.

"I told you you're not ready. They used some heavy-duty drugs on you Sis."

"Why?" Lily closed her eyes trying to focus.

"For one, because Joan didn't want you to fight and try to leave again. She knew you would be mad. Two, she's trying to figure out what to do with our guests."

Lily opened her eyes. "You mean escape. She brought Jarod and the Parker woman here?"

"I never felt we were escaping from here. . And yes, she said that she couldn't just leave them there. But she wouldn't tell me why."

"Because they know about us." Lily said in frustration. "Now they're trapped here like we are."

"Why is it that I always felt that Angel's Hope was a safe refuge and you felt like a prisoner?" Becky asked.

"Maybe the hypodermic in my arm justifies my feelings." Lily bit back. "Sorry, I know this is hard on you. How is the little girl? And where are Jarod and Miss Parker?"

"The little girl is going through re-adjustification."

"Is she responding?" Lily asked with concern in her voice.

"A little. Joan said that it would be a slow progress. A drug was used that she is not familiar with. And Jarod and Miss Parker are comfortable in their guest quarters."

Lily started pulling herself up and Becky tried to help her this time. "I have to go see Jarod. He might know what drug was used."

Becky looked at the floor. "You can't do that right now Lil."

"Why not?" Lily questioned while trying to steady herself.

"Joan has them under sedation and quarantine. Plus, Hun, you're under quarantine. Only certain personnel are allowed in here and you're not allowed out." She pointed to the card key lock next to Lily's door.

"She put a lock on my door?"

"And a guard." Becky added.

"So. I am a prisoner." Lily put her head on her sister's shoulder.

********************

Sydney made his way to Angelo's room. He opened the door and went inside. He found Angelo sitting at his computer with a concerned look on his face.

"What's wrong Angelo?" Sydney trying to look at what Angelo had on the computer.

Angelo escaped out of the program he was in and looked at Sydney. "Jarod not responding. Jarod lost."

"How is Jarod lost Angelo? Is he in trouble? Does Mr. Lyle have him?" Sydney was concerned.

"No. Lyle angry." Angelo's face went into a growl. "Property gone. Raines mad."

"What about Jarod Angelo?"

Angelo picked up a piece of paper and started drawing a picture. When he was finished, a picture of a statue of an angel with spread wings was on the paper. "He's with the angel's. Miss Parker too."

"Angelo, can I have this piece of paper?" Sydney had recognized that Angelo was saying that wherever Jarod was, he was by this statue. "I'll speak with you later Angelo."

Sydney left the room and headed for Broots' office. Maybe Broots could find a match to the statue. And they had to find a match before the Centre realized that Miss Parker was with Jarod.

****************

Lily had been sitting on her bed. She had taken a shower and had gotten changed into a long sleeve shirt and jeans. She was feeling more coherent now. She realized that they had gone through her room. It was way too clean.

The door lock beeped and the door opened. Joan came through the door carrying a tray of food. "Thought you might be hungry now." She put the tray on the nightstand.

"You mean that I might be hungry after being on an IV drip for three days?" Lily said with anger in her voice.

"Lily, I did that for your best interest. You were not going to listen to me until you cooled down."

"And that was your solution to my anger. I think you made a mistake. I'm just angrier. " Lily looked away from Joan.

"Lily. Being in charge means having to make certain decisions." She was trying to justify herself.

"Like putting a lock on my door and treating me like the prisoner I have been my whole life." The words that she had kept inside all these years from Joan had finally come out.

"You don't know what being a prisoner means! But I think you're about to find out. Eat. In an hour, we're taking the IV out on Jarod. I think you should be there when he wakes up." Joan turned, went to the door, and swiped her card. She left without another word.

******************

Jarod shook his head, trying to shake off the fuzziness in his head. He immediately surveyed the room. Nurse, IV stand, nightstand, dresser with mirror, door with card key lock, and the woman who had stopped him at the Centre. The woman named Lily was sitting at the end of his bed. "Where am I?"

"Angel's Hope. It's where I live." Lily responded.

"How did we get here?" Jarod was trying to put together a perspective of where he was.

Lily moved up the bed with the glass of water in her hand and gave Jarod a sip. "I'm not actually sure. I was unconscious." Lily looked down at the cup that was now in her lap. "I would assume on one of our jets."

"Unconscious? Why would your own people knock you out?" Jarod laid back down on the pillow. This bit of information made him curious.

" Because we had a difference of opinion. I saw myself attacking the Centre and they saw me being here." Lily smiled a little.

"And the girl?" Jarod realized that if he was here, so was the possible new Pretender.

"She's resting comfortably. I think we may need your help Jarod."

"My help? Why?" Jarod pushed himself up.

"Joan says that the girl's conditioning was achieved with a new drug that they are not familiar with. They don't have the correct counter agent to reverse the effects. She was hoping that you knew what drug they had used." Lily looked into Jarod's eyes. She saw the pain in them as she delivered the news.

"I know the anecdote, but it had to be administered within a certain time span. How long have I been out?"

"Three days." Lily could see Jarod's pain turn to rage. "Jarod, I know how you are feeling. I went through the same thing. Becky told me that Joan estimated that the girl had been conditioned five days prior to your rescue attempt. Even if we hadn't stopped you, there would have been nothing you could do."

Jarod hung his head. "Nothing."

"Jarod. The only hope that little girl has is our Re-Adjustification Team. They have dealt with other children like her."

"You have had other children here with the same condition?" Jarod was confused. Davey had been the first child, since the red files, that he had known of that Raines had tried his drug therapy on.

"Yes, the Retrieval Teams have brought them here since even before I was here. And I have been here since I was four."

Jarod laid back down in shock. There had been more children harmed by the Centre. "Were they made that way by the Centre?"

"I don't know. I just learned of the Centre a little while ago. I just know that the children were brought here and that I have assisted in their re- education."

Jarod feeling stronger sat up. Then a thought entered his mind. "If I'm here, the girl is here, does that mean........."

"Yes, Miss Parker is here as well. She is still under sedation." Lily replied as if she were reading his mind.

"Then we may have more trouble than you originally thought."

Lily was about to ask why, when the door opened. Joan stood there with two members of the Retrieval Team. "Hello Jarod. I am Dr. Joan Stedman. I think it's time that you come with us to SL 27."

Jarod's eyes grew big with fear as he heard that sub-level number.

Lily looked at Joan. "Why are you taking him to the Re-Adjustification level?"

"I'm sorry Lily. He knows too much and we're going to have to take care of that."
Actions & Consequences by ScifiColleen
Angels Hope
Actions & Consequences




Lily was about to ask why, when the door opened. Joan stood there with two members of the Retrieval Team. "Hello Jarod. I am Dr. Joan Stedman. I think it's time that you come with us to SL 27."

Jarod's eyes grew big with fear as he heard that sub-level number. He looked around the room to see if there was any other possible escape.

Lily looked at Joan. "Why are you taking him to the Re-Adjustification level?"

"I'm sorry Lily. He knows too much and we're going to have to take care of that."

Jarod looked at Joan. "You have no reason to worry that I will reveal anything about you or your organization."

"I can't take that chance Jarod. I have to think about the safety of the people that live and work here. Now please don't make this difficult." Joan motioned to the men.

Lily put herself in front of Jarod and the men stopped. "There is no way I am going to let this happen Joan. Do you know what that program will do to him?"

"He will forget about seeing you, Becky, and being in this facility." Joan retorted.

"You can't just erase a couple of days. You will have to erase weeks. What if something goes wrong? You are going to leave him defenseless out there with the Centre looking for him. Why don't you just wrap him in a red bow and give him to the Centre!" Lily's fury was showing.

"Let me remind you that you caused all this young lady. I am just trying to clean up your mess." Lily tried to hide her hurt look. "Now the procedure is completely safe. We have used it before and the people were fine."

"What procedure are you talking about?" Jarod asked now trying to pull himself completely up to a sitting position.

"It's a procedure where we erase that part of your memory that holds the information that you have been here." Joan replied.

"I can't be brainwashed. The Centre has tried and failed." Jarod tried to explain.

"This is a very intricate procedure Jarod. It has a 100% success rate." Joan bantered.

"Have you forgotten Joan that I designed that procedure and there is a 6.5% chance that the person can be left with a permanent amnesiac state. This man is being hunted by people that you have told me for years are brutal and unmerciful. Can you in good conscious leave him out there for them to just pick up and do as they please?" Lily gave that stare to Joan that Joan knew meant that she wasn't going to win. "So you can try to take him by force, but know that I will be there fighting you every step of the way. And I will stop you even if I have to take down every computer in this place." Lily put her hands on her hips and stood her ground. 'And you know that I can."

Joan looked at Lily and then the ceiling. "What am I suppose to do Lily? Just let him walk out of here. And what about the Parker woman? She works for the Centre."

For the first time Lily realized what name both Jarod and Joan had said. "Parker." She looked at Jarod. "You called her Miss Parker." Lily was confused and looked at both Joan and Jarod. "Is she relation to Catherine Parker?"

*************

Lyle was pacing in his office talking to Mr. Raines on his headphone. "No. I am doing everything possible to locate Jarod and the child. Yes. I know that this puts another delay in the Gemini Succession Project. I can't tell you where the breech in Security is yet Sir. My men are working on it. Yes, we will put more men on the case." Lyle heard a click on the other end of the phone. "You'll get yours soon enough. Dad." Lyle went back to his desk and started to make a phone call. He was tapping a folder that had the words "Succession Project" in bold letters. Angelo backed slowly out of the airshaft he had been sitting in watching Lyle.

Once out of the vent, Angelo went to his computer. He initiated an e-mail to Jarod. It held a single phrase.

Must stop Gemini Succession Project.

He hit send.

*************

Sydney walked into Broots' office. "Anything Mr. Broots?"

"I have been trying to research every piece of architecture that holds an angel, but so far no matches." Broots replied. "I've heard from Mort in car pool that Jarod has messed up one of Lyle's projects big time. Raines is furious. And that whatever he did, he took Miss Parker."

"Yes Broots. I had heard that yesterday from Angelo. It's not like Jarod. He wouldn't take Miss Parker with him and endanger the child." Sydney was trying to reason what Jarod was doing.

"Maybe they are working together now? They did work together on that island off Scotland." Broots replied.

"When Miss Parker came back from Carthis, it did not look like there was an alliance. No, something's wrong. Care to do a little reconnaissance in Lyle's computer files?" Sydney asked with his eye raised.

Broots got that sick feeling in his stomach. "I was afraid you were going to say that." Broots went to work on trying to hack into Lyle's computer files.

**************

Joan looked sad at the mention of Catherine Parker.

"She is her daughter Lily." Jarod enlightened her.

"The e-mail I received said that a Mr. Parker runs the Centre. Is he her father?"

Jarod laughed. "Yes, for all intent purposes, he is her father."

Lily looked confused. "For all intent purposes? How could she be Catherine Parker's daughter and work for the Centre?"

"I'll have to explain that to you later. If I have a later?" Jarod looked at Joan.

"I've decided that I will not require you to go through the procedure." She turned and walked to the door with the two guards right behind her. "But it comes with a price."

Jarod and Lily looked at Joan with curiosity.

She turned and looked at the two. "You will become a member of Angel's Hope. That means that you follow our rules and you never leave this facility again." She swiped her card and a click opened the door.

"What about Miss Parker?" Jarod asked.

"She will be offered the same deal. If either of you can't live with it, then you go through the procedure and are placed back in the outside world. Miss Parker will be coming off her IV soon. I think both of you should be there. Larry will be right outside the door when you're ready." Joan swung the door open and walked through before Jarod could comment. The door clicked shut after the two men followed.

Jarod was visibly angry. "I can't stay here. I have work to do. People to stop." He noticed that Lily had her head bowed down and was trying to stop tears from flowing down her cheek.

"I'm so sorry Jarod." She moved away from the bed and walked over to the dresser. "This is all my fault. If I hadn't left, hadn't gone to Blue Cove, then you............."

Jarod unsteadily got to his feet, steadied himself, and went over to Lily. He turned her around. "For whatever reason you did what you had to do. The passion I saw in your eyes when you thought I was going to hurt that child was real. You were right, the Centre is evil." He put his arms around Lily and gave her a hug.

Lily just stayed in that hug for a moment. It had been awhile since she had let anyone comfort her. And for some reason she felt a connection to this man that she had never seen before three days ago. She then pulled away and looked at Jarod. "All I can say is - I'm sorry and welcome to my world."

**************

Parker opened her eyes. The world around her was blurry. "What the hell happened to me?"

"Now, now Miss Parker. Is that anyway to come back into the world of the living?"

She could hear Jarod's voice, but the only semi-clear thing she could see was a nurse messing with her arm and a strange room she had never seen before.

"Damn-it Jarod. I feel like a tank truck ran over me. I need a drink." Parker opened and closed her eyes a couple of times. Then her vision focused and she could see Jarod at the end of the bed she was lying on. Behind him was the woman Jarod had been arguing with.

"Hello Miss Parker. Can we get you anything besides an alcoholic beverage?" Lily asked.

"Oh I'm peachy keen Mary Sunshine." Parker tried to sit up.

"Slowly." Jarod moved up closer to her, trying to help her. Holding her hand. "You've been sedated for three days. It's going to take a little bit for you to get your footing."

"Three days! Who the hell knocked me out for........ You. You did this to me." Parker barked at Lily.

"Miss Parker. I did not do this to you, the head of this facility did." Lily started to explain. "She was protecting Becky and I. She thought that you were going to harm us. I would like to welcome you to Angel's Hope."

"Angel's Hope. What the hell is Angel's Hope? And are you the resident pain in the ass?" Parker lay back down, dizzy for the moment.

"Parker!" Jarod snapped at her. "Don't make a bad situation worse."

Lily shook off what Parker said. "It's a special place." Lily thought about what she was about to say. Whether she should or not. "We help those in trouble, do scientific research, and try to make the world a better place."

"Oh great, I've been taken into the world of Goody Gum Drop Land." Miss Parker was getting increasingly angry. She hated not being in control.

"We were founded by a very special woman who said that it was always her mission, her life's work, to help those in trouble. To fight the evils that she had seen corrupt this world. That woman was Catherine Parker."

Both Miss Parker and Jarod were stunned. "My Mother", Parker caught her breath, "founded Angel's Hope?"

"Yes, over forty years ago. She brought the original children here for sanctuary. They had been drugged and tortured. They were in really bad shape. Then periodically other people, her guardians, brought children here. Each group was categorized by a color. Blue, Green, Yellow. I'm not sure why. Becky and I were part of what they called the Red Files."

"Red Files?" Jarod asked. "You have information on the Red Files?"

"The only thing Joan ever told us was that the children of the Red Files had to do with the birth of twins. Special twins with remarkable gifts. We have the other girls here that were part of the Red Files. We are all twins. Becky and I, Renee and Cathy, Elizabeth and Nancy, and Kristen. "

"What happened to Kristen's twin?" Jarod asked while Parker laid in bed in disbelief.

"We never knew. We just knew that she was alone when she came." Lily looked at Miss Parker. "She was a wonderful person. Now that I can see you better, you look just like I remember her."

"You knew my mother?" Parker asked.

"Yes. She is the one who gave me to the guardian to come here."

There was a knock on the door. The nurse came in. "I am here to help Miss Parker get freshened up and dressed. Dinner is at six o'clock."

"We can help her do that ." Lily told the nurse as she moved closer to the bed.

"No Miss Lily. Dr. Stedman requests that you and the gentleman join her in her office." The nurse pushed past Lily and waited for Jarod to move.

Jarod looked at Parker and then at Lily. Parker waved her hand at Jarod. "Go. I can take care of myself."

"Just knock on the door Miss Lily and the guards will escort you." The nurse informed Lily.

Lily knocked on the door and the guard opened it. Lily and Jarod walked through the door. Jarod stopped before the door closed and looked at Parker. She was giving the nurse a hard time, saying something along the lines that she didn't need any help. Jarod smiled and proceeded to follow Lily.

"Do you always have the lovely escort wherever you go?" Jarod asked below his breath.

"Not usually. I have a feeling that Joan does not trust me anymore." Lily responded also under her breath.

"Maybe it's that she doesn't trust me?" Jarod whispered back.

"No. Then there would be only one guard." Lily looked behind her to see Larry and Fred keeping five paces behind them. They entered the elevator and they went to sub-level 4. Everyone got off and Lily proceeded to the right. This level looked much different than the level they had been previously on. There were offices and windows. Five offices down, Lily pointed to a door. "This is my office."

"You have an office?" Jarod asked.

They walked one door further. "Where else would I do my work?" Jarod looked sullen. "This was Catherine Parker's office. It has been kept the exact way she left it. Joan wouldn't have it any other way. They were very close." They went one more door down and Fred knocked on the door.

"Come in." They heard from inside. Fred opened the door and allowed Lily and Jarod access to Joan Stedman's office. Joan was standing behind her desk. There were three chairs placed in front of the desk. "Please. Come have a seat." Joan motioned to the chairs. Lily took the chair to the right and Jarod took the one to the left. "I want to give you a better welcome than I did before. Sometimes work consumes me and I forget my manners."

"It's all right Dr. Stedman. I understand that you are trying to protect what you have achieved here." Jarod surveyed the room. He saw that there was a door that led to what he assumed was Catherine Parker's office.

"I want you to get acclimated to the surroundings. Fred will let you know areas that at this point you are not allowed access to and Lily can give you a tour. That is if you have decided to stay?" Joan looked questioningly at Jarod.

"Yes, Dr. Stedman. I have decided to stay." Lily looked shocked.

"Very good Jarod. I'm glad to have you on board." There was a knock on the door. "Come in." the door opened and Miss Parker pushed her way in. She was wearing a pair of shirt, jeans and walking shoes. "Welcome Miss Parker."

"Will you please tell me who the hell picked out these damn clothes?" Jarod and Lily snickered. "And where that witch of a nurse took my clothes?"

"The clothes you are wearing are general issue informal clothes worn here at Angel's Hope. You will find that your closets will have been stocked by the time you return to your rooms with whatever you will need during your stay here." Joan informed Parker and Jarod.

"During my stay here? I'm not staying here lady. I just want to know how you know my Mother?" Parker barked at Joan.

"Lily. Did you not explain the situation to Miss Parker?"

Lily shook her head no. "I didn't have a chance to before the nurse came in."

Joan motioned for Parker to have a seat. "We have a little dilemma here Miss Parker. You and Jarod are not supposed to be here. Your knowledge of this facility jeopardizes everything that I have worked for over the years."

"You mean what my Mother worked for." Parker added. Joan looked at Lily.

"I told her that her mother founded Angel's Hope. I didn't see any harm in it." Lily tried to explain.

"Yes. Your Mother's vision is what I have been working on all these years. I have taken her dream and made it a fully functioning reality. But as I was saying, you and Jarod are not supposed to be here. Yet you are. And that leads us to the dilemma of what to do with you." Joan continued.

"Dr. Stedman has offered us a choice Miss Parker. We can become a member of Angel's Hope; we follow their rules and never leave this facility again." Parker sat up in her chair and went to say something. Jarod put his hand up. "Wait till I'm finished." Parker threw herself back in the chair. "If we do not take her up on her offer, then we will go through a memory altering procedure and be placed back in the outside world. Unfortunately the procedure can have devastating results and leave us without our memory at all."

"Forever. There can be no medical treatment to reverse the results." Joan got up from behind her desk, picked up a framed picture from her shelf, and walked over to the group. "And I offer you also Miss Parker something you have never had your whole life."

"And what is that Dr. Stedman?" Parker coolly said.

"I can give you the information you have craved your whole life. I can give you your Mother." Dr. Stedman turned the frame around and revealed a picture of Catherine Parker holding a baby standing in front of a statue of an angel. Next to her was granite sign that simply stated "Angel's Hope."
New Alliances by ScifiColleen
Angels Hope
New Alliances




"Forever. There can be no medical treatment to reverse the results." Joan got up from behind her desk, picked up a framed picture from her shelf, and walked over to the group. "And I offer you also Miss Parker something you have never had your whole life."

"And what is that Dr. Stedman?" Parker coolly said.

"I can give you the information you have craved your whole life. I can give you your Mother." Dr. Stedman turned the frame around and revealed a picture of Catherine Parker holding a baby standing in front of a statue of an angel. Next to her was granite sign that simply stated "Angel's Hope."

"That's me. She brought me here?" Miss Parker asked as she got up and took the picture from Joan.

"Yes. When we first founded Angel's Hope, your mother would bring you with her. But as you got older, she was afraid that without knowing it you would tell your father where you had been. So she stopped bringing you."

Parker ran her finger across her mother's picture. She had so few pictures of her mother, having a new one in her hand gave her joy.

"At first we didn't have a name for the facility. We would just bring the children here and kept to ourselves. And then when you were about four years old, she came and said that her husband had inspired a name that she thought was appropriate. That's when she told me she wanted to call it Angel's Hope. She named it after you my dear."

"Daddy," Parker choked on the word for a moment, "called me his Angel. But why hope?"

"It was her hope to get you away from your father and the Centre." Joan began when Lily interrupted.

"You knew the Centre existed and the people who ran it and never told me? Why all these years did you give us a nameless enemy?"

"In your youth Lily, you would have run off and started an all scale war. By making it a faceless enemy you could be groomed without provocation. And by your actions the last few days, I was right."

Lily looked down at the floor. "You know me too well."

"By that time Catherine had started to find out more information on the origin and purpose of the Centre. She was recruiting more allies or as we called them, guardians, for our cause and that's when things started to get more dangerous. She had found out about a project called Prodigy."

"The Red Files." Jarod stated frankly.

"Yes Jarod, the Red Files. How do you know about them?" Joan asked with curiosity.

"I" Jarod looked at Miss Parker, who had returned to her seat with the picture clutched to her chest. "I mean we learned of their existence while we searched for our pasts. I confiscated copies from the Centre and Miss Parker found copies on her father's desk. I learned that NuGenesis was monitoring eight children for the Centre. But now Lily has told us that there are more Red File children here."

"Yes. Lily and Becky were part of the Prodigy project. There were many projects going on there."

"But why were some children brought here and not all of them?" Parker asked.

Just then there was a knock on the door.

"Enter." Joan called.

Becky stuck her head into the room. "Joan, dinner is ready."

"Very good. Let's all get something to eat. I'm sure everyone can use a good hot meal." Joan came from behind the desk and headed for the door.

"Dr. Stedman. What about my question?" Parker asked noticing that the good doctor had used the interruption to not answer her question.

"Miss Parker there will be plenty of time for you to ask questions and get answers." Joan motioned for everyone to follow Becky out the door.

Everyone got up out of his or her chairs. Lily approached her sister and gave her a hug. Jarod motioned for Miss Parker to proceed and he followed.

"A gentleman. I like that Jarod." Joan said in a matriarchal way.

Suddenly Jarod felt like a small child who had gotten the approval of his mother. He held the door for her as Dr. Stedman walked through. He took a quick look around the room again and spotted the door to Catherine Parker's office. For some reason he was drawn to that door. Suddenly he felt the arm of the guard on his shoulder.

"Sir. The others are waiting." Larry was nudged Jarod's shoulder firmly.

"Of course. Forgive me." Jarod responded trying to be as non-chalant as he could be.

The group headed for the elevators and went to the private dining room.

*************

Broots had been working all day trying to get into Lyle's computer files. Mr. Lyle had instituted some sort of new firewall around his system that Broots' had had no knowledge of. He was angry that someone had introduced something into his system that he had no knowledge of. Especially when he needed to get to where the system protected. He had worked all day trying to get past it with no luck. He probably would have worked all night, but he had to pick up Debbie at school. She was the lead in the school's play and had stayed after school for rehearsals. He was so proud of her. Despite everything that had gone on in her life; her mother and Broots' crazy schedule, she was thriving and doing well in school.

Debbie approached the car. "Hi Daddy!" She yelled through the open window. She opened the car door and got in. "How was your day?"

"Fine honey. How was your rehearsal?" Broots took off in the direction of his home.

Farther down the street, a black sedan pulled away from the curb one minute later.

*************

Sydney had tried to work with Angelo all day in his office. Angelo was nervous and jumpy. All he would say to Sydney was that Jarod was missing and with the angels. Broots had tried to locate the angel statue, but had been unsuccessful. That meant that the figure was custom made and would be harder to track that anticipated.

Angelo was playing with a pen in his hand. "Others will be taken soon. Must find Jarod. Must find Jarod."

Sydney approached Angelo. "Who Angelo? Who is going to be taken?"

"A Princess. A precious Princess." Angelo was rocking on the floor still playing with the pen.

"Angelo, may I see the pen in your hand?" Sydney asked putting out his hand. Angelo dropped the pen into Sydney's hand. Sydney looked at the pen and it had the initial's "RP" on them. He had seen the pen on Mr. Lyle's desk before and wondered about the initials. But that would have to be a mystery for another day. He handed the pen back to Angelo. "I think you better put this back before it is missed."

Angelo grinned and headed out of Sydney's office.

*************

The private dining room was an elegant oak room with an ornate dining table in the center. Each chair looked as if it had been hand carved with the most delicate pictures of cherubs. There were shelves carved into the walls where fine china and knickknacks sat. Glasses hung over a small bar in the corner.

"Please everyone," Joan motioned to the table, "take a seat."

Joan moved to the chair at the head of the table. Lily and Becky took chairs on either side of Joan as if they had done this on many occasions. Jarod sat next to Lily and Miss Parker next to Jarod. The guards Larry and Fred sat next to Becky. Lily introduced Becky formerly to Jarod and Miss Parker. The meal of French onion soup, salad, beef bourguignon and vegetables was consumed while everyone made small talk. Dessert was carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

"Dr. Stedman, how many levels are there to this facility?" Jarod finally asked wanting to know about where he was.

"There are 32 sublevels. Each level represents a function or research. Such as sublevel four is the office level. I will make sure that there is an office made available to both of you. Each office is stocked with supplies and research material. Please let Becky know if there is anything that you may still need."

"That is a large facility to keep in obscurity. There are very few regions that could sustain that mass of a complex." Jarod stated trying again to locate their position.

Joan laughed. "Good try Jarod. I promise. When I feel more confidant that I can trust you, then you will know exactly where you are. Until then, this location stays top secret." Joan turned to look at Lily. "And I mean top secret. No hints. No word games. They find out the location and I will separate all of you."

Lily shook her head in agreement. Jarod looked disappointed. Parker grinned.

" Lily. Why don't you take our guests on a tour of the facility? I'm sure they are curious about where they are going to live."

Larry and Fred got up and waited for the group to head for the door. Fred opened the door as Lily, Jarod, Parker, and Becky walked through. Lily introduced Miss Parker to Morris, who would be her guard. Lily took them throughout the complex. The main laboratory looked like something out of NASA. The other levels were computer laboratories, conference rooms, living quarters, and classrooms. The group got off on sublevel 6.

"This is my favorite level." Lily told Jarod as she escorted them further into the level. "On the right are our movie theater and the dance club."

"A dance club in your facility?" Parker asked. "Is this a research facility or a teenybopper hangout?"

Jarod gave her a stern look. "Be nice Miss Parker." Jarod mouthed.

Lily sneered at Parker and continued. "On the left is the recreational area - ping-pong, air hockey, pinball machines. A whole arcade including skeeball, my favorite." Lily noticed that Jarod looked confused. "Jarod. You do know what skeeball is right?"

"I'm sorry Lily. I haven't frequented too many arcades." Jarod responded peeking in through the glass door. "I worked for the circus once."

At the end of the corridor there were two large glass doors. "Now this is my favorite place to think." Lily pushed open the door and showed Jarod and Miss Parker a huge arboretum. Trees, flowers, plants covered every inch of space. Boulders were scattered throughout the room as if they were chairs. Normal chairs and benches were also scattered throughout the room. When Parker looked up, she could see the clearest sky and stars. Tons of stars.

"This was your mother's idea Miss Parker." Becky told her. They moved off to one of the benches to discuss the idea. Parker relished getting information about her mother.

Jarod and Lily moved off to a corner of the room. Lily sat on a boulder with her knees folded. Jarod sat on the grass. "So this facility is built into the side of a mountain." Lily smiled. "I can see through the overhead panels."

Lily looked at Jarod. "Tell me about the Centre. How did you find out about them?"

Jarod looked up at the stars. "I was taken from my parents when I was young and brought to the Centre."

Lily felt a shiver rush up her spine. "You lived there? But we were told that horrible things went on there........." Lily looked at Jarod and stopped talking as she realized what she just said. Solemnly, "What was it like?"

"I went to a psychiatrist once. I explained the Centre as this. Think hell with nicer furniture. There are no windows, no unlocked doors, no light, no hope. They take all that away. They decided what I ate, when I slept, who I saw. They decided everything I did. And I was never allowed to know anything about who I was. They made my life a living hell."

Lily sat in shock. "I'm so sorry Jarod. And I thought I had it bad here. But nothing like that."

"What was it like here growing up?"

"We have windows and light. We have friends and activities. Our work is geared toward helping humanity." Lily looked off into the foliage.

"But......" Jarod could tell something else about Angel's Hope bothered her.

"Like you the doors are always locked. Not the ones to my room, like now. But we were hardly allowed above sublevel 4 unchaperoned. When we were older we were allowed to leave to attend a play or opera. But everywhere we went, whether out or here, there was always someone watching us. If it wasn't physically, then with the cameras." She pointed to one in the far corner of the room. "How I longed for just a few moments of being alone." Lily moved off the rock and onto the grass with Jarod.

Jarod added remembering his session with Dr Goetz. "They had eyes in every ceiling, every wall, they never blinked. They were always on me. Every minute, every hour, every day of my life."

"Every day of my life." Lily said simultaneously. She moved closer to Jarod. "You understand, don't you? I think I left this week not only to fulfill what I thought was my destiny, but also to just have two minutes of not being watched. I've been told it is my destiny to do this and that. Learn this, cure that, being told what to do every day of my life. But never given any time to be......." She looked into Jarod's eyes. "Why Jarod? Why did they do this to you?"

"I worked on simulations that they later took and used to hurt people. They made me into a, I mean I'm a Pretender. I can become anyone I want to be. A doctor, lawyer, police officer. Anything I want to be."

"Except I don't know who I am." Lily finished looking at Jarod.

Jarod shook his head in agreement. "Except I don't know who I am." Suddenly feeling an eerie bond form.

Lily felt the need and did hug Jarod.

"How is it that we know exactly how the other feels?" Jarod questioned.

"Because we shared similar experiences I suppose. Kindred spirits." Lily laid her head on his shoulder.

Parker, in the midst of hearing a story about her mother's favorite tree, turned just in time to see Lily in Jarod's arms.
Hidden Truths by ScifiColleen
Angels Hope
Hidden Truths




Parker, in the midst of hearing a story about her mother's favorite tree, turned just in time to see Lily in Jarod's arms. Anger swelled inside and she abruptly left Becky in mid sentence and moved over to the duo.

"Sharing shop secrets?" Parker snapped.

Lily looked embarrassed, as she backed away from Jarod and once again sat on the grass. She didn't know why she felt embarrassed when she knew that she hadn't done anything wrong.

"We were discussing the Centre Miss Parker." Jarod said as he smiled at her.

"Yeah, looked like it." She retorted.

Jarod turned back to Lily and decided to speak frankly. "You know I can't stay here indefinitely."

"Well you're not the hell going to leave me here." Parker added pushing herself between Jarod and Lily. She tried every which way to sit down without actually having to touch the grass.

"I know. You're going to have to be careful. I'm sure Joan is also expecting the same thing and she will carry out her threat Jarod. Angel's Hope is everything to her. It has been her whole life. If you try to escape, I won't be able to help you."

"I know." Jarod responded. "There is one thing that perplexes me. Why has she kept Catherine Parker's office the same as the day she left? She obviously knew Mrs. Parker was dead. Why keep the office that way?" He looked at Parker who had lowered her head, saddened by the mention of her mother's death.

"I assumed it was as homage to a great woman." Lily pondered.

"Lily, I have to ask you something. I know I should not ask you to do this. Can you get me into Catherine Parker's office?"

*************

Debbie was on her way to school. She was walking with her friends chatting about boys, what the boys were doing, and how to meet a particular boy. She had a huge crush on the boy who was playing the Prince to her Cinderella.

A car parked in front of the Broots' house proceeded to follow Debbie by half a block. When she reached the school he drove past the school and parked the car. The driver took out a notebook and made notes.

"Debbie Broots - arrived 8:15. Accompanied by three companions. Note - must review class schedule."

The driver started the car, drove down the street, and got lost in traffic.

************

Lily escorted Miss Parker and Jarod to their rooms. She went to her own room and lay on the bed. She had allot to think about. She had already broken Joan's trust once. If she did it again, Lily knew she would never be trusted again. But Jarod thought that there were answers to their questions in that office. And she agreed. Something wasn't right and they had to find out what it was. Lily dropped off into an unrestful sleep.

The next morning Lily got up and got dressed. Instead of going to breakfast, she proceeded to her office. She went and sat at her desk, moving the papers around but not doing anything. She periodically looked at the door in her office that connected it to Catherine Parker's office. She was looking at it when there was a knock on the door. "Come in." Lily called out.

Jarod stuck his head in the door. "Good morning. We missed you at breakfast. Can we come in?"

"Sure. Come on in." Lily smiled.

Jarod came through the door followed by Miss Parker. "I brought you a muffin. Chocolate chocolate chip, your favorite according to Becky. I thought that maybe you might be hungry since you missed breakfast." Jarod brought the muffin over and placed it next to Lily.

"Not very hungry Jarod. Thanks anyway." She pushed it away.

"I would take it. He's the defender of the weak and abused. If you don't eat it, you may have to suffer his wrath. Believe me - you don't want his wrath." Parker said as she sat herself in one of the office chairs.

"I know that you are upset about what we talked about last night, but we have to find out what the secrets are." Jarod looked at Lily with longing eyes. He had been looking for the truth for so long.

"The Centre was built on secret and lies. Afraid we'll find the same thing here?" Parker added smugly.

Lily looked at Parker. "This institution was not founded in lies, but something tells me that there are secrets. Though I don't think that they are secrets that would hurt people. Joan just wouldn't do that."

"Listen Tinker bell. Anyone is capable of anything to preserve their way of life. She ain't no saint, so never say never." Parker was in rare form this morning. Especially since she had been thinking all night about how the two of them had been hugging last night.

"Was Joan at breakfast with you?" Lily asked moving from behind her desk.

"Yes. She said that she was going to the children's lab to judge a science fair." Jarod responded.

"Good. I think we may have some time before Joan comes back to her office." Lily said as she walked over to the door of Catherine Parker's office. "It's locked."

"No problem." Jarod had that grin on his face that always occurred when he was planning something. He went over to Lily's desk. "Do you mind?" He asked as he motioned to her desk drawer. Lily shook her head that it was OK and Jarod opened the drawer. He shuffled through its contents and came upon some items he could use. He then proceeded to the door..

"What are you going to do?" Lily asked.

"I was a safe cracker once. Same principle." Jarod took the long piece of metal and started to maneuver it in the locking mechanism. In a few minutes the lock clicked.

"Good going Boy Genius." Parker said as she got up out of the chair and followed Jarod into the room. "I love it when a plan comes together."

The three entered the dark office of Catherine Parker. Miss Parker immediately started hearing the voices she had grown use to hearing over the past two years. Especially that of her mother. The trio moved to different parts of the room. Lily went to the large oak desk that sat at the farthest end of the room. Jarod was looking at the bookshelves that lined the one wall of the office. Miss Parker was looking at the wall opposite Jarod. Tears welled up in her eyes as she viewed the numerous pictures that covered the wall. In the middle of all the pictures was a portrait. It was an exquisitely painted picture of Catherine Parker holding Miss Parker as a baby on her lap.

"Your mother was a beautiful woman." Jarod noted as he came up behind Parker and put his hands gently on the rounds of her shoulders. "Just like her daughter."

Parker half smiled as she moved from under Jarod's hands. "She was never allowed to have many pictures in our house. Daddy didn't like it." She said as she touched delicately the portrait. Another picture caught her eye. "Here's a picture of my mother and her sister. I guess she hung the pictures here so that she could still treasure them."

"Remembrances of a life she left behind when she married your father and joined the life of the Centre." Jarod added.

Sitting at the desk, Lily tried to bring back her memories of Catherine Parker. "I remember her letting me sit at this desk. I couldn't have been more than five or six. When she brought me here, I always felt safe."

Jarod looked puzzled. "Lily. If life here were ideal, then why would you have a recollection of having to feel safe?"

Lily looked at Jarod and Parker. "I don't.... know. I just remember that I was safe here, with her. I don't know why."

Jarod looked at the bookcase. "I'm going to go through over here. There may be something here in the bookcase. Parker, you and Lily go through your mother's desk."

Parker went over to the desk after looking at the portrait one more time. She opened the left-hand drawers. There was a row of files. She started pulling files out and skimming through them. Lily was doing the same thing on the right side.

"What are we looking for Jarod?" Lily asked not really sure what she was looking for.

"I don't know. Something to do with the red files. Prodigy. Mirage. I'm not sure."

"Mirage?" Lily asked.

"In the last year of her life, my mother was impregnated by Mr. Raines with Jarod's father's sperm. The result was our brother Ethan. It was the reason she was killed."

Lily felt sick to her stomach. "What kind of man is Raines that he could do that to somebody as wonderful as Mrs. Parker?"

Parker looked up from the files and felt a lump in her throat. "A monster." And she thought, "That monster is my father."

Lily pulled out a file and began to read. "Jarod, come here." Jarod came over and looked over Lily's shoulder. "A list of children and dates." Parker came over and looked at the list.

"So many names. How long had my mother been bringing children here Lily?" Parker asked shocked that the dates ranged back before her birth.

"I know that there were children brought here that were older than me. Some of them were so bad, that they didn't survive past their early teen years. Others into their twenties. Some are still here in a catatonic state.

Jarod took the file from Lily and started looking at the papers behind the list. "Look at these. Copies of death certificates."

Lily looked at the names on the certificates. "Wait. That can't be right. Cecelia Barnes is still alive. She's one of the catatonic= patients I was telling you about."

"Why would my mother have death certificates for children that were alive?" Parker looked puzzled.

"Because that's how she got the children out of the Centre." Jarod looked at Parker with a gleam in his eyes. "She faked their deaths so Raines wouldn't look for them."

"The guardians. They must have been helping her get them out. Shuttling them here." Lily added and then grabbed the file back out of Jarod's hands. She started thumbing through all the certificates. After about twenty five of them she stopped. "Well it's official."

Jarod looked at her inquisitively. "What's official?"

"I'm a ghost." Lily held up the certificate with her name on it. "I'm Lily Davidson and I'm dead." She let the certificate fall slightly forward. "My last name is Davidson. I never knew my last name before."

Jarod put his arm around her shoulder and squeezed. "Congratulations." Parker's eyes narrowed as she witnessed this show of affection. "Yeah, we'll throw you a ticker tape parade."

Lily was smiling. "I wonder where Becky's is?" She started thumbing through the next few certificates when the smile faded from her face. "Wait. This can't be right."

"What's wrong Lily?" Jarod asked.

"Becky's certificate has a different last name." Lily showed Jarod and Parker the certificate that stated the name Rebecca Prescott. "We are twins. Why would Becky have a different last name?"

Jarod knelt down and started going through the rest of the files. "Lily, where did you pull that one from?" Lily pointed to where she had pulled the file. Jarod looked at the next file. "This is why." Jarod showed Lily and Parker the contents of the next folder. "Adoption certificates."

"I was adopted?" Lily looked confused.

"Lily. Do you remember anything before coming to Angel's Hope?" Jarod asked trying to piece the puzzle together.

"I remember..........I........" Lily was thinking. She looked up at Jarod with fear in her eyes. "Jarod, why don't I remember? I was only four years old; I should have memories of before I came here. The first thing I remember is being brought to my guardian, Jacob, by Mrs. Parker."

"Jacob. You're guardians name was Jacob?" Jarod asked looking at Parker.

"What? Why are you saying it like that?" Lily looked at the two of them.

"The man who raised me at the Centre was named Sydney. His twin brother was named Jacob and he was hurt by the Centre for betraying them." Jarod had that look like he was in deep concentration. "Ties Miss Parker. We're finding ties that bind."

"Lily, keep looking over there. I'll keep looking over here." Parker said as she started going through the drawer again. Jarod looked at the first list of children.

"Oh no." Jarod hit the file against his leg.

"What Jarod? What did you find?" Parker asked going back over by him.

"Here are our names." Jarod pointed them out.

"As is Angelo's, Lyle's, Alex, the rest of the red files. So what Jarod?" Parker looked confused.

"Parker. Look above our names." Jarod pointed to the previous names.

"Get out of here." Parker said as she took the file from Jarod. "Can't be. Not the lovable moron."

"Broots, Miss Parker. He's part of the children of the Centre." Jarod confirmed.

"Who's Broots?" Lily asked. "Is he someone important?"

"He's important to me." Parker stated.

"He works for the Centre Lily and is a very nice man." Jarod explained.

"Is he your boyfriend Miss Parker?" Lily asked innocently. Both Parker and Jarod laughed.

"No. He's more like a brother. He runs the Computer Science department for the Centre." Parker explained.

The trio continued looking through these files, but didn't find anything else of significance. Jarod thought, he knew they were running out of time. "If you had really important papers that no one else should see, where would you put them?"

"In a secure location." Parker added. "In a safe?"

"In a safe." Jarod looked around the room. He moved to the portrait of Catherine Parker and Miss Parker. He felt around the picture. By now Lily and Parker had joined him. He found a small button on the side of the frame. He pushed it and the picture swung open. "A safe."

The three looked at the safe. It was a square safe with a small screen next to it with a keypad underneath. "What kind of lock is that?" Parker asked.

"A computer generated lock." Jarod pushed some buttons and the screen came to life.

"Please enter the password phrase" appeared on the screen.

"Password phrase. How the hell are we suppose to know the damn phrase?" Parker said frustrated.

"There's one person who might have been in the room when the phrase was used." Jarod said looking at Parker. Parker smiled and they both looked at Lily.

"I don't know what the phrase is." Lily responded feeling like a mouse being looked over by a pair of cats.

"Lily there's a possibility that you may have heard it as a child and not even now you heard it." Jarod stated.

"So how does that help us now?" Lily looked at Jarod puzzled.

"Lily, let me hypnotize you and see if you know the phrase." Jarod proposed.

"You know how to do that?" Lily asked cautiously.

"Yes. Will you allow me to do it?" Jarod took Lily's hand. "I promise you will not be harmed and I will make sure you remember whatever we find out."

Lily looked at Jarod and Parker. "OK."

Jarod sat Lily in the office chair and took a crystal that hung on a chain he had found in Catherine Parker's desk as the focus point. He swung the crystal in front of Lily until he had her in a relaxed hypnotic state. "Lily. Go back. Go back to when you were a small girl." Lily's face showed signs of distress. "Lily what do you see?"

"Men. Men coming to take me away. I try to scream for my mommy and daddy, but.....Their there. They know the men are going to take me. NO. NO MOMMY. I don't want to go. Please."

"Lily, it's OK. The men are gone. Where are you know?" Jarod asked.

"A big house. Lots of tubes and needles. I'm afraid of the needles. Dr. Jacob says to stay quiet. He's going to help me."

"OK Lily. Let's go forward a little. You're at Angel's Hope now. In Catherine Parker's office. What do you see?" Jarod prodded.

"Mrs. Parker. She smells so sweet. She's telling me a nursery rhyme. Every time I come into her office she tells it to me. She says never to forget it." Lily was smiling as she spoke.

"Lily, what is the rhyme that she is telling you?" Jarod asked anxious to see if it worked.

"Cree Craw Toads Foot" Lily started singing.

"Geese Walk Bare Foot." Both Lily and Jarod sang at the same time.

Jarod looked at Parker with wide eyes. "Lily, when I count to three you will wake up feeling refreshed and remember everything. One. Two. Three." Lily blinked her eyes. Jarod turned to the computer keypad and typed in "Cree Craw Toad's Foot, Geese Walk Bare Foot."

The safe lock clicked open.
Reflections by ScifiColleen
Angels Hope
Reflections




"Ms. Parker. She smells so sweet. She's telling me a nursery rhyme. Every time I come into her office she tells it to me. She says never to forget it." Lily was smiling as she spoke.

"Lily, what is the rhyme that she is telling you?" Jarod asked anxious to see if it worked.

"Cree Craw Toads Foot" Lily started singing.

"Geese Walk Bare Foot." Both Lily and Jarod sang at the same time.

Jarod looked at Parker with wide eyes. "Lily, when I count to three you will wake up feeling refreshed and remember everything. One. Two. Three." Lily blinked her eyes. Jarod turned to the computer keypad and typed in "Cree Craw Toads Foot, Geese Walk Bare Foot."

The safe lock clicked open. Jarod opened the door and peered inside. There were numerous files, DSA's, and other papers inside. He started pulling the items out and handing them to Parker and Lily.

"Everyone start reading something." Lily said as she started shuffling her papers around on the floor with Parker followed suit. "I don't think we'll have much time left. I can't believe the hypnosis thing worked. And what's with that saying.." Lily looked up at Jarod. His expression was that of fright and concern. "What's wrong?"

Parker looked up from the papers she was deciding to read. "What is it Jarod?" She knew that look and it meant that something was wrong. She got up off the floor and went to take the files from Jarod.

Jarod held onto them with his full strength. "No Parker."

Parker came around him and looked over his arm at the first paper in one the files. "No." She looked at the page again. "That sick son of a bitch."

"What? What did you find?" Lily asked concerned by both of their reactions.

Jarod started looking through the rest of the files. His face showed so much emotion that it was hard for anyone to tell what he was reading. "He couldn't have done this!" Jarod slammed the files onto the floor.

Parker immediately picked the one up that upset Jarod and kept reading. Her face sank as she read the contents. "They've done it again Jarod. Taken another member of your family."

"Will someone please tell me what is going on?" Lily demanded.

"Jarod? Should I?" Parker asked going behind Jarod and placing her hand on his shoulder, knowing the pain he was going through.

"I'm so sorry Lily. Maybe Dr. Stedman was right. You shouldn't have looked for answers. Parker and I should have come in here by ourselves."

"Jarod. What is in those files?" Lily asked now angry that they did not want to share their findings.

Jarod motioned to Parker to hand her the first file. Lily grabbed it and started to read it. Her face turned from anger to pure white. Jarod could see as she continued to read she looked as if she were going to fall over. "Lily." He went over and escorted her over to the chair.

Lily grabbed the rest of the files Jarod had on the floor and put them on the desk. She studied the first file more closely. "When you said that Raines was a monster, that was an understatement. How could that man think he could play God? How could he accomplish this without anyone knowing?"

"Lily. We found out a while ago about a place called NuGenesis, a fertilization clinic. Couples went there when they were having trouble conceiving. It's obvious that Raines was performing more than invitro fertilization procedures." Parker explained.

"But to perform genetic sequencing on embryos is beyond contempt. And then placing them with unsuspecting mothers. What was he trying to accomplish?" Lily was sick to her stomach.

"Natural Pretenders." Jarod said his head lowered. He had just read the remaining files he had picked up off the desk.

"But why twins. Each couple was placed with a twin." Lily continued to try and reason it out in her head.

"A redundant system." Parker reasoned. "Two of each sequence to make sure it worked." She was also disgusted. She laughed out of nervousness. "I guess that makes me as much of a lab rat as you Jarod. Jarod? You've found something else?"

Jarod looked at Lily. "There's more Lily. When Catherine Parker was pregnant with Miss Parker she actually had twins. One boy, one girl. He told her that the boy had died at birth. The files indicate that they did this with each of the twins. One stayed with the natural parent and one went with a foster parent."

"So either Becky or Lily were sent to the foster parent. That's why Becky and Lily have different last names on the certificates." Parker surmised.

Jarod's face was still saddened. "Lily the papers, uh, they say......."

"What's wrong Jarod?" Lily was looking into the soft brown eyes and saw pain. "Tell me Jarod, please."

"The papers say that the twins that were implanted were fraternal twins. Male and female embryos." He looked sadly into her soft brown eyes with his soft brown eyes.

"But Jarod that's impossible. Becky and I are..........." Tears welled up in her eyes as the realization of what Jarod was saying sunk in.

"Not sisters." The trio turned around to see Joan Stedman standing in the doorway and looking very angry.

*****************

Broots was working on his computer when Debbie came up behind him.

"What are you working on Daddy?" Debbie asked trying to peek over his shoulder.

"Work honey." Broots hit the button so the secure screensaver would come on. "That's all. Nothing to concern yourself with."

"Daddy, can you please help me run my lines? The rehearsals are two times a week and the dress rehearsal is in four weeks and I need to practice."

Broots shook his head. "Of course honey. What do you want me to do?"

"Can you please take this script and run lines with me. I also have to learn to ballroom dance. Here, you be the Prince."

"I don't know Debbie. I'm not very good at dancing."

"Then we'll learn together Dad. Here I'll curtsey and then you put your arm out. Then I'll move in and take you hand and then we step like this the teacher said."

The next thing Broots and Debbie were ballroom dancing around the computer room. Broots twirled Debbie around and around. They were laughing and having the time of their lives.

A man sat in the car outside the Broots home and watched them through binoculars in silence. He took out his notebook and wrote some notations down.

******************

"No. You told me that we were sisters." Lily shot up out of the chair and approached Joan.

"For all intense purposes you are. I told you that everyone here were brothers and sisters to each other." Joan tried to explain.

"Just not biologically." Lily was face to face. Her anger permeated from her. "How could you do that? Make us believe that we were sisters."

"Emotionally you are sisters. In every sense of the word, except biologically." Lily looked like she could scream, but just turned from Joan tears streaming down her cheeks. "You were so in need of having a family connection. And you and Becky came here together." Joan tried to put her hands on Lily's shoulders, but she rigidly pulled away. "We thought it best that you and Becky believe you were sisters. It gave each of you the support system that you needed."

"Do you know who my twin sister is?" Jarod expressed the words that had welled up inside him.

"You haven't gone through the rest of the files have you?" The doctor asked.

"No. We began with this file." Parker answered referring to the file they had first started reading.

Joan walked over to the stack of files and pushed several of them with her fingers until she found the one she was looking for. "If you all want to know everything, then this is the file you want."

Jarod approached and took the file. He opened it and started reading. After several minutes, he looked up. "You knew who she was? You knew the whole time I was here? "

Dr. Stedman's silence answered Jarod's question.

Parker and Lily approached Jarod. "Let me see that." Lily demanded trying to grab the file. She began to read the names of the twins and whom they had been placed with. She quickly viewed the names and found what she had been looking for. Jarod's name had: Father - Charles, Mother - Margaret. Sibling's name - Lily. Placed with Albert and Peggy Davidson. Lily looked up at Jarod and swallowed hard. "You're my brother."

Jarod looked at Lily and produced a big smile. "You're my twin sister."

Parker looked at bother of them. "The two of you." She secretly smiled inside.

Anger filled Lily. She wiped around to Joan. "You knew. You knew all this time and didn't say a word. You lied to me my whole life!" Lily wiped the tears from her face while her anger continued building. "You betrayed me."

Jarod's smile faded, as he didn't understand Lily's anger since he was experiencing the joy of finding another sister.

"Listen here Missy. I'm not the one who started this. And don't turn this around. This wouldn't be happening if you'd stayed where you were suppose to. You know the rules. Instead, you're going into places that are restricted and not for your eyes. So now you know."

Jarod interjected. "It's my fault Dr. Stedman. I asked her to give us access to the room. Miss Parker and I have been searching for the truth for so long, we never realized that it would hurt anyone else."

"Jarod, she is a grown woman and she knew perfectly well what she was doing." Joan turned back to Lily. "What am I suppose to do Lily? Put a personal guard in the room with you at all times. I thought we had some sort of trust going on......" Joan looked at Lily who had turned around and gone over to the bookcase. She was leaned over as if she were pushing the bookshelves. "Lily? Lily?"

Miss Parker and Jarod turned to look at Lily. There was a look of fire and anger on her face. Jarod had seen this look before in both Kyle and Alex. "I am sick and tired of being your little pawn." Lily spun around. "Who the hell do you think you are to keep the fact that Becky is not my real sister from me!" Just then Lily looked past Joan at the doorway.

Becky was standing there holding some paperwork in her hands. "What do you mean you're not my sister?" She looked around the room at the other's faces and knew that what Lily had said was true.

"Becky." Lily said exasperated.

Becky, looking rather shocked and confused, walked a little further into the office while trying to make sense of what was going on. "Why are you all in Catherine Parker's office? Why would you not be my sister?"

"We found evidence that the Centre manipulated the Prodigy children's genetics Becky. The children were twins, but male/female." Jarod explained with concern for yet another victim of the Centre.

Tears swelled in her eyes. "I don't want to know. I don't believe you! You just come here and expect that I'm going to trust anything you say. I'm getting out of here." Becky backed out of the office and ran through Lily's office.

"Becky!" Lily began to run after her. "See what you've done." She hissed out as she passed Joan.

"Ladies!" Joan called after them, but they were gone.

*****************

Mr. Raines walked into Lyle's office madder than the Mad Hatter. "What is the progress on the Miss Parker and Jarod search? When I put you in charge of this pursuit, I thought you could cut the mustard. Maybe I was wrong." Raines wheezed.

Lyle looked at Raines and was going to make a snide remark, but decided to use decorum. "I can handle any job you give me. I got the preliminary report from the scene. They have confirmed there was some sort of struggle and sister dear did not come ahead."

"Jarod abducted her?" Raines asked.

"No. They don't think so. There was another set of tracks. And then a large amount of tracks to where they found the tire marks to a van. And it looks like there were people carried from the site. The conclusion is that someone has both Miss Parker and Jarod."

"But have you made any progress then determining who took my Pretender? Two people don't just fall off the face of the Earth Lyle." Raines was impatient and curt.

"I'll find them. We're going to the airport to follow a lead on the van." Lyle retorted growing impatient with the old man.

"Take Angelo with you. He may be able to pick up something that may help. Take Sydney too. He can control Angelo." Raines headed for the door.

"Why don't I just take Broots too and we can have a picnic." Lyle hated Angelo with a passion.

"Don't push me boy." Raines wheezed without turning around and reaching the door. "People have a tendancy to disappear for no reason here. Or take trips to the Renewal Wing." He proceeded through the door and disappeared down the hall.

"You can also be a dead man, for real, old man." Lyle threatened.

*****************

Becky had run to the elevator and got on, while Lily struggled to get past the guards. Lily sucker punched one man in the stomach and right crossed another across the face. The third went to pull his weapon and she flip kicked him squarely in the jaw. All three laid on the floor unconscious. She grabbed the guard's weapon and swipe card. She tucked the gun in the back band of her pants and under her shirt. She proceeded to the elevator and waited for the doors to open. Lily swiped the card and pushed the button. She knew where Becky was going and got off on sub level 6. She went to the music club. It's where Becky always went when she was upset. To play the piano and forget. Lily slammed open the door. "Why did you run away from me!" Lily yelled.

Becky was playing feverously. Concentrating on every note. Tears streaming down her cheeks. Then all of a sudden she slammed on the keys. "All my life we have been together. Through thick and thin. But THEY come and I don't exist. Then I walk in and find out you're breaking into places and finding out information - and you don't include me, I don't exist. Then I find out not only don't I exist, I'm not your sister. Do you think I have reason to be upset!"

"I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. I wanted to know the truth." Lily was yelling louder and louder. She was pacing around and was starting to hold her head as if she had a headache. "I wanted answers. I wanted TO KNOW WHO I AM!"

Becky looked at Lily. "Why are you screaming?" Her anger turned to concern. "Lily what's wrong?"

Lily was growing angrier and angrier. "I'm going to kill Raines. That's it."

Suddenly the alarms started to sound. "Yellow alert? Why are we on yellow alert?"

"Damn her. Damn this place." She punched the piano and headed for the elevator. Lily tried to push the button, but it wouldn't activate.

"Lily the elevator is locked down. We're on yellow alert." Lily slammed her fists and then her shoulder into the elevator doors. "Lily, what have you done?"

"I knocked out those stupid guards who were following us. They were really starting to annoy me." She started looking around. "I've got to get to level 1." She was pacing. Lily folded over in pain, holding her temples.

"What's wrong?" Becky was trying to help, but Lily pushed her back.

"Get away from me." She ran down the hallway to the arboretum. "Just leave me the hell alone!" Lily closed the door and pulled the lock plate off, rearranging the wiring.

Becky tried to unlock the door, but couldn't get the keypad to work. She turned at the sound of the elevator. Off walked Dr. Stedman, Jarod, Miss Parker, and the guards that Lily knocked out. "Where is she?" Stedman demanded.

"She's in here. She's locked herself in and recoded the lock. I can't get it open. She's crazed. Something about having to get out of here and kill Raines."

"This is what I was afraid of." Stedman stated as she and Becky tried to open the lock.

Jarod peered through the glass trying to find Lily. He finally spotted her at the far end of the room, on a boulder with her knees to her chest, rocking back and forth. He put his forehead and hand up on the glass. "Lily."
Aftermath by ScifiColleen
Angels Hope
Aftermath




She's in there. She's locked herself in and recoded the lock. I can't get it open. She's crazed. Something about having to get out of here and kill Raines."

"This is what I was afraid of." Stedman stated as she and Becky tried to open the lock.

Jarod peered through the glass trying to find Lily. He finally spotted her at the far end of the room, on a boulder with her knees to her chest, and rocking back and forth. He put his forehead and hand up on the glass. "Lily."

Parker came up behind Jarod and tenderly placed her hands around his shoulders. "We'll get in there. She'll be OK. She's a tough lady; she's put up with me."

Jarod picked his head up off the glass and had a weird look on his face. "What is going on in there? The glass is vibrating."

"Whenever Lily gets extremely upset, she plays really loud music. Deafening." Becky tried to explain peering through the glass.

Dr. Stedman picked up her cell phone and walked away from the group slightly ordering whoever was on the other end to get down there and to bring the kit. After snapping the phone shut, she turned to Jarod, Parker and Becky. "Becky. Mark is coming with a kit. Can you please go meet him at the elevator and make sure he can access the floor?"

Becky looked at Joan sternly. "If you wanted me to leave, you just had to ask."

Joan inhaled and exhaled slowly. "I'm sorry Becky. Yes, I need to speak to Jarod and Miss Parker alone. Can you please excuse us?" Her attempt at subtly hadn't worked.

"Certainly, but if it's something I need to know about Lily you'll tell me right?"

"You may not want to know what I have to tell them. But yes, if you really want to know, I will tell you. Just not now. Let's get through this crisis first and then you and I will talk."

Becky nodded and headed for the elevator.

"Ok. What was so bad that you couldn't say it in front of Becky?" Jarod asked knowing that it wasn't going to be pleasant.

"Jarod there are certain aspects about Lily and the others coming to Angel's Hope that are complicated. Has Lily told you anything about how she came here?" Stedman questioned.

"She said that she was brought here when she was four by a guardian. That she was saved by Catherine Parker. What does that have to do with what's happening now?" Jarod asked looking through the glass again and seeing that Lily just seemed to be rocking to the music playing.

"In certain circumstances we had to bring the children here and send them to the Re-adjustification Wing. They were so traumatized by what had been done to them that we had to help them to forget or just house the children that couldn't respond to treatment."

"What does that have to do with Lily? She said that when she was four she came here and had everything she ever needed." Jarod was getting impatient.

"Jarod. I'm not sure what started this episode. But Lily doesn't remember exactly what her childhood was like. She didn't come here when she was four, she came when she was six and a half. At four she was taken to the Centre and charged to Dr. Raines. Catherine Parker found out that he had labeled her for experiment failure and termination. She faked her death and brought her here."

Parker and Jarod looked at Joan in shock. Jarod looked at Dr. Stedman. "Two and a half years. What did he do to her and why doesn't she remember?"

"I think you already know what he was doing Jarod. You've been learning more and more about the Centre. All I know is that it was a combination of drugs and subliminal messaging in music. Messages in the music played at loud decibels. He was trying to break her, but even at that age she fought him."

"He was trying to destroy her mind." Parker said looking at the figure of Lily.

"He was trying to destroy her soul." Added Jarod, his heart breaking at remembering what Kyle had told him. The tearing down of his personality and his humanity. And the look he had seen in Alex's face, the coldness and lack of emotion. "I hypnotized her in Catherine Parker's office to see if she had the combination to the safe. Is that what triggered this?"

"It may have started a ripple that flooded the dam gate we put in place. We have tried to funnel the negative emotions into activities that would release them. The study of martial arts, weaponry, the imagery of an enemy that had no face but she could work towards conquering and defeating. I need to get in there."

Jarod knew that they were playing against time when it came to Lily's sanity, so he removed the keypad covering and started to re-work the wiring. Becky came up from behind with a man wearing a white lab coat and a black bag. Dr. Stedman took the bag and started ruffling through it.

The young man went to the glass and placed his hand up on it. "How bad is the situation Joan?"

"Not good Mark. I'll know more when I can get in there and evaluate her." She took out a hypodermic and measured a certain amount of drug into the syringe. She put it in her pocket.

"Got it." Jarod turned to see Dr. Stedman going to go through the door with a pair of what looked like airport technician earphones. Jarod grabbed her arm. "I'm going with you."

"Jarod, I don't know if this is safe. I don't know what state she's in. She is classified as a deadly weapon."

"She's my sister and I'm going." Jarod was not going to let another member of his family be destroyed by the Centre.

"Then you're going to need these to even hear yourself think." Stedman handed Jarod a pair of the headphones. "They filter the noise so that you can hear what is being said."

Jarod turned to Parker. "When we get through the door, cross these two wires and punch in a code. Any code you can remember. And don't punch it in except for Dr. Stedman and myself. We have to try and contain her." Parker nodded her head in agreement. Jarod pushed the code in and the door opened. Music blared so loud that Becky, Mark, and Parker had to cover their ears.

Lily sat rocking to the music, seemingly oblivious to their entry. Dr. Stedman and Jarod approached her slowly and cautiously.

Shouting as loud as she could, Dr. Stedman yelled Lily's name. With no response, she looked at Jarod and motioned that Jarod try. Jarod decided to move to the front of his sister and see if he could make eye contact. Stedman tried to stop him, but Jarod moved quickly. He bent down on his knees in front of her. "Lily." He yelled on the top of his lungs.

The young woman moved her head far enough off her knees so that her eyes looked at Jarod through the soft brown curls of her hair. He saw the coldness he had seen in Kyle's eyes. "Go away Jarod."

"I know you're confused right now. I can help you through this. We can do this together." Jarod was trying to reach the person he knew was trapped inside.

Lily jumped off from the boulder and sent Jarod flying backwards onto his posterior. "I don't need your help. I don't need anyone. It makes you vulnerable." She started pacing around. "A lone assault will be more successful."

"Lily." Stedman yelled trying to assess her charge's condition. "Do you know where you are? What is today's date?"

Lily stopped her pacing and shot a look. "I've been to hell and back." She looked up at the trees, fixated on the leaves. "It's the day when all the suffering stops. It's the beginning of the end." Lily looked Joan eye to eye.

Jarod got up and moved towards the two women. "Lily, together we will make the suffering stop. Dr. Stedman will help us." His eyes pleaded with hers, looking for some sort of recognition.

"No one can help us." Lily screamed. "The evil is all around us. Inside whispering. You can't ever get away from it no matter how hard you try. You're an example Jarod. It keeps touching our lives time and time again. There's only one way to make it stop." The music in the room changed songs. Lily listened to the words and seemed entranced.

I want my money back. I want my money back.

Lily started singing with the words:

"It's all or nothing and nothings all I ever get."

"Every time I turn it on I burn it up and burn it out."

"It's always something. There's always something going wrong."

"That's the only guarantee. That's what this is all about."

Lily ran full force and jumped onto one of the boulders, teetering on the edge. She turned around and looked straight at Jarod.

"It's a never-ending attack. Everything's a lie and that's a fact."

"Life is a lemon and I want my money back."

The song continued while Jarod tried to approach the boulder where Lily was standing listening to the music.

And all the morons and all their stooges with their poems.

They're the ones who make the rules. It's not a game, it's just allowed.

There's desperation. There's desperation. There's desperation in the air.

That leaves a stain upon your clothes and no detergent gets it out.

And we're always slipping through the cracks. And the movie is over, fade to black.

"Life is a lemon and I want my money back."

"I want my money back. I want my money back.".

Jarod was just about to reach the boulder when Lily put her hand up to tell him to stop. She screamed from on top of the rock:

"What about love, it's defective. It's always breaking in half."

"What about sex, it's defective. It's never built to really last."

She looked eye to eye down to Jarod and continued to yell:

"What about your family, it's defective. All the batteries are shot."

"What about your friends, they're defective. All the parts are out of stock."

"What about hope, it's defective. It's corroded and decayed."

She turned her attention to Joan.

"What about faith, it's defective. It's tattered and it's frayed."

"What about your Gods, they're defective. They forgot morality."

"What about your town, it's defective. It's a dead end straight to me."

"What about your school, it's defective. It's a pack of useless lies."

"What about your work, it's defective. It's a crock and then you die."

Her face turned to rage.

"What about your childhood, it's defective. It's getting buried in the past."

"What about your future, it's defective. You can shove it up your ass."

Lily jumped off the boulder and walked quickly to the door. She tried opening the lock while mouthing the words to the music that played on.

I want my money back. Life is a lemon.

I want my money back. Life is a lemon. Life is a lemon.

It's all or nothing and nothings all I ever get.

Every time I turn it on I burn it up and burn it out.

Unable to get the door open, she stepped back while Jarod and Dr. Stedman slowly came up next to her. Jarod ready to grab her and the doctor to use the syringe in her pocket. Lily snapped her head in their direction:

"It's a never-ending attack. Everything's a lie and that's a fact."

Lily pulled the gun from the back of her pants and a turned back to the door.

Parker seeing what she was going to do screamed. "Get down!" Parker pushed Becky and Mark to the floor. The guards dove for the floor. Lily aimed the gun and fired at the glass. Pieces flew everywhere. Jarod and Dr. Stedman dived for cover behind nearby boulders. Hitting the remaining shards with the gun, Lily walked through the doorframe.

Life is a lemon and I want my money back.

And we're always slipping through the cracks.

And the movie is over, fade to black.

Life is a lemon and I want my money back.

Back, back, back, back.......................................................................
Backdraft by ScifiColleen
Angels Hope
Backdraft




Parker seeing what she was going to do screamed. "Get down!" Parker pushed Becky and Mark to the floor. The guards dove for the floor. Lily aimed the gun and fired at the glass. Pieces flew everywhere. Jarod and Dr. Stedman dove for cover behind nearby boulders. Hitting the remaining shards with the gun, Lily walked through the doorframe.

Life is a lemon and I want my money back.

And we're always slipping through the cracks.

And the movie is over, fade to black.

Life is a lemon and I want my money back.

Back, back, back, back........

Lily stepped past the group on the floor and proceeded to the elevator, the gun lowered at her side. Jarod and Dr. Stedman came running out the doorframe, careful not to hit the glass that hung still from the frame. The guards, who had gotten to their feet, rushed at Lily. She grabbed one by the shoulders, kicking the second in the stomach, knocking him into the third guard. She spun and pushed the first guard to the ground. Jarod assisted Parker from the floor mentally checking that she was OK. Mark was helping Becky up.

Jarod slowly walked down the hallway towards Lily who had now reached the elevator and was trying to undo the cover of the elevator buttons. The guards, who had again gotten to their feet, quickly caught up behind Jarod, two with their weapons drawn. When he was about 10 feet from her, Lily shot a look sideways. She raised the gun so that it was pointed at Jarod's head.

"It seems that we have been in this situation before. You don't want to hurt me. Lily put the gun down." Jarod spoke in a low soothing tone.

The guards immediately raised their guns pointing them at Lily. Becky tried to run down the hall, but Dr. Stedman stopped her. "Becky, don't." Distress was written on her face as she fought the doctor to get past her. "We don't know what she will do under these circumstances."

Lily faced off with the guards. "You don't control me. I can do what I want. Be what I want. You are all puppets and pawns. You think you scare me with those guns?" There was coldness in her eyes. "I decide who lives or dies."

Jarod felt as if an arrow had been shot in his heart as he heard the words first uttered by Kyle. Knowing what Raines had done to him to get him to believe those words. "You know you don't want to hurt anyone. You are a good person with a good soul. What you're feeling now is just the garbage that Raines fed you."

"Don't mention that name to me!" Lily grabbed her head in pain. Jarod moved forward to grab the gun, but Lily straightened and again stood with conviction. "Stay away from me. You all lie. Leave me alone!" She screamed, the gun shaking in her hand. "I won't believe anything you say. Lies. Pain. That's all you know!"

"I have never lied to you. You are my sister and I want to help you. I know what you are going through." Jarod tried reasoning with her.

"You know nothing of what I went through. What Raines does.." She grabbed the side of her head again.

Mark and Joan started to move up behind Jarod. The doctor put her hand on Jarod's shoulder and motioned to let Mark pass him. Jarod responded by shaking his head no and started to say something when he heard Mark speaking.

"Lily. Honey. It's me. It's Mark." He was approaching her slowly.

Lily stood with the gun now pointing at Mark. "Stay away." Lily held the side of her head in pain. A glimpse of recognition sparked in her eyes. The gun started to shake in her hand. "Mark? Mark? Help me." Her eyes turned to pleading. "What's happening to me?" She said through clenched teeth.

Before she could regain composure, Mark grabbed the gun and slid it behind him. Jarod grabbed the gun off the floor. Dr. Stedman stiffened seeing the gun in Jarod's hand. He acknowledged her concern and handed it to the doctor.

Mark went to hug Lily when she collapsed sobbing to the floor. "What is wrong with me?" She kept repeating over and over. Mark cradled her in his arms on the floor. She doubled over in pain holding the side of her head. Dr. Stedman rushed over and pulled the syringe out of her pocket. She injected the medication into Lily's arm. "NO!" Lily tried to fight regaining a little fire, but collapsed into unconsciousness.

Stedman took out and flipped open her phone. "This is Dr. Stedman. I need a gurney on level 6 and get Operating Room 2 ready. Mark take her vitals. We have to make sure she's stable enough for this."

"What are you going to do to her!" Jarod shouted trying to get to his sister past Stedman.

"Jarod. She has a chip implanted that is connected to her brain from Raines. It stimulates the brain to throw the person into fits of anger and rage. We're going to have to go in there and see what kind of damage it has done." She looked into his hurt and scared eyes. "The events of the past week have triggered something, a failsafe. We have to correct it or remove it. It's her only chance now."

Jarod fell to his knees in front of her, tears rolling down his cheeks. Parker, who had now come down the hall, put her hands on his shoulders. Becky came down and knelt next to Jarod. The elevator doors opened and the team with the gurney appeared. Mark picked Lily up and placed her on the gurney. Jarod could see not only concern, but love in his eyes. The team strapped her in. Stedman made her way through the group on the floor and joined Mark on the elevator. Jarod stood up and tried to get on.

"No Jarod. Let us take care of her." Stedman said in an authorative voice.

"I'm coming." Jarod responded determined to get in that elevator.

Dr. Stedman nodded to the guards behind Jarod, who pulled him back by his arms. The elevator door closed.

Jarod turned to Becky. "Please. I have to be with my..."Jarod hesitated knowing that the word would hurt Becky, "sister. Please take me to her." A lone tear ran down his cheek.

The Centre car approached the airport rental agency. It parked in the Guest parking and Lyle, Sydney, Broots, and Angelo got out of the vehicle. Willie also got out the driver's side of the car. Lyle went through the automatic doors of the car rental building followed by everyone else. Sydney, Broots, and Angelo stayed farther back from the counter as Mr. Lyle spoke to one of the Centre's operatives there.

"Sydney, what do you think happened to Miss Parker?" Broots was concerned for the secret love of his life.

"I don't know Broots. We haven't heard from her or Jarod in a week and I would assume that something is physically keeping them from making contact."

"From the buzz at the Centre not something, someone. And a big group of someones. Do you think that the Triumvirate could have something to do with this?"

"I think Mr. Lyle and Mr. Raines would know if the Triumvirate had taken them. The whole matter concerns me. We may have another set of players in the game."

"Jarod and Miss Parker are living with the Angels." Angelo said half looking at them and half-looking at a small child playing with a doll.

"Angelo, is Jarod dead?" Sydney asked not wanting to hear the answer if it was the truth.

"No, with Miss Parker. With the Guardian Angel's." Angelo was smiling at the little girl.

Lyle came away from the desk. "The van is in the back. Get Willie and we'll start going over it with a fine toothcomb. Let's see if the bloodhound can pick up anything on my dear Sis and Wonder Boy." He walked past Angelo. "You're only here because Raines wants you here." Lyle headed out the door.

Sydney and Broots headed for the door with Angelo. "Why does he have such hate for Angelo?" Broots asked.

"I believe that Mr. Lyle doesn't like anyone, but why the hatred for Angelo only he knows." Sydney opened the door and let the two men pass him before going through it himself.

They reached the van in time to see Willie opening the front doors and checking under the front seats. Lyle opened the back doors of the van. Angelo climbed into the rear of the van. Various images appeared to him.

"Angelo, are you getting any impressions?" Sydney asked while Lyle impatiently waited.

"Jarod and Miss Parker. Sleeping amongst the men. Men with guns." Angelo replied spotting something shiny on the floor.

"What is that suppose to mean?" Lyle said tired of wasting his time trying to please Raines.

"I believe he must be referring to the fact that Miss Parker and Jarod were not conscious when they were transported in the van. Whoever took them was armed and took them by force." Sydney surmised.

Angelo approached the shiny object on the floor. He scooped up a necklace that was a round silver medallion with the picture of an angel on it. When he turned it over he saw the words - Angel's Hope, Lily. A flash came to him, a woman with long curly hair lying next to Jarod. Another woman with blond curly hair looking down at her. He smiled when he got a warm feeling from her.

Lyle spotting Angelo looking at the floor of the van called in. "Angelo. Did you find something?" Lyle went around the van to open the side door. Angelo quickly put the necklace over his head and hid it under his shirt.

Lyle opened the door. "Get out." He ordered. "Let me see your hands." Angelo presented his empty hands. "What were you looking at in there?" Lyle climbed in and looked where Angelo had been. Seeing nothing, he got back out. "Did you put something in your pockets?" Lyle motioned for Willie to search Angelo's pockets. Angelo struggled a little, but all that Willie came out with were seven surprise toys from Cracker Jack boxes.

"Leave him alone Lyle. He told you what you wanted to know. Parker and Jarod did not leave of their own accord."

Lyle checked with Willie to find that nothing else but a partial ripped Northwestern flight tag had been found in the van. Lyle flipped open his phone. "Yes. We've searched the van. No. Nothing of any value. Paid for in cash. I'll track the name and address given, but I'm sure it's faked. Yes. He sensed that Parker and Jarod did not leave unassisted. Yes Sir. Yes." The connection was broken abruptly. Lyle growled and motioned with his head to Willie to head back to the car.

Sydney, Broots, and Angelo followed. "I don't think that Lyle is enjoying the parental guidance of his newfound father." Sydney smiled at the prospect that for once it may not have to be them that distracted Raines.

"Would you be happy with him being your father? Though I don't think the apple has fallen far from the tree." Broots added clearly showing his distaste for Raines and Lyle.

Angelo smiled as he headed for the car with his new toy neatly tucked in his shirt. ******** Jarod, Parker, and Becky watched from the operating room observatory. The doctors had located the chip and were working on the bleeding that had occurred from its malfunction. Stedman and Mark stood off to the side observing the procedure. She looked up to see Jarod watching the operation. She acknowledged to Mark that she was leaving, left the room and disrobed out of her surgical gear.

Jarod watched the operation proceed. "I can't lose her Parker. I just found her. I couldn't take finding another sibling to have them die before I get to know them." He leaned his head against the glass, fighting back the tears.

"It'll be all right Jarod. She's a strong woman and a fighter. She reminds me of me. And remember you can't ever kill a Parker. So she can't die." She could admit it now and was sorry that the circumstances may dictate that she would never get the chance to know Lily better. Under different circumstances, they could have been friends. But the Centre doesn't allow that. It complicates matters, makes you emotional. No one at the Centre is allowed to have feelings or emotions. For years she had denied her feelings for anything, her mother, her mother's death, the way her father treated her. She had thrown herself into first her schooling and then her work. Be the best, be the tiger lady, and get what you want. Then maybe her father would pay attention to her. That had started to crumble partially when she fell in love with Tommy. But he got ripped from her too. Now there was Jarod. He had expressed his feelings in Carthis, but she was unable to contemplate the complexity of a relationship with him at that point. Her father was there; the Centre was there. She had chosen survival over emotion. Now she was standing there with the man she had been taught to hate, but truly admired. Truly craved. And he was in such pain. She had seen that pain when Kyle died in his arms and he had carried his body to the helicopter. She knew that he had gotten past all the other trauma in his life and survived, but how long could one person take tragedy after tragedy before going insane. She wanted to put her arms around him, comfort him, help him. But something inside told her that she was a Parker and that it was a fruitless gesture. As long as Raines was still alive. Maybe in the insanity that Lily was going through there was one truth - Raines had to die. None of them would be safe until that oxygen tank-breathing troll was vanquished. But for now she would be there for Jarod.

"If we believe she is going to be all right, then she will be all right." Becky said trying to reassure herself more than Jarod.

Dr. Stedman entered the room. She immediately noticed Becky, Parker, and Jarod's concern. "The operation is going well. You don't have to worry about her. She's too stubborn to let a little chip get her down."

Jarod kept looking through the glass. "How much damage was there?"

"I could lie to you and say that there was no damage, but I know better. You would know I would be lying. There was some hemorrhaging around the site. The doctors couldn't remove nor rewire the chip this time without causing further damage, so when she wakes up there will be no more veils over her memories. She will remember everything that happened to her at the Centre and she will have to deal with them." Joan looked away from the group.

"Or. I know there is an or Joan." Becky stated knowing the answer already.

"Or she will go insane." Parker finished for Dr. Stedman. "Another casualty of the Centre."

Dr. Stedman turned in shock to hear Parker utter those words. "Yes Miss Parker. The Centre has a lot of casualties. Let's hope that Lily is not one of them."

Jarod watched as the nurses got their patient ready for transport to the Post Op. He turned and looked at Dr. Stedman. "They're finished. I want to be there when she wakes up. If anyone knows what she'll be going through, it would be me."

"I will arrange for you to be brought to her room Jarod. Miss Parker, I believe that you may want this." Dr. Stedman handed her a key. "It's the key to your mother's office. It's now yours. I hope you find the answers that you have been searching for." Dr. Stedman left the room. Parker just looked at what may be the key to her past.

Hours later Jarod sat by Lily's bed holding her hand. Hoping that when she woke up the war going on inside her would not destroy her.

Parker put the key in the door to her mother's office. She opened the door and walked in. The guard following her stayed outside the door. She closed the door and walked slowly past the pictures and the open safe. She went to the desk and sat down in the chair. She pulled closer to the desk and started looking through the folders on the desk. She found a dark blue expand folder and pulled the elastic cord off that kept it closed. She poured the contents of the folder onto the desk. A journal fell out and very old papers. She opened the journal and flipped through the pages till she read something that caught her eye.

I have found the papers that my husband kept hidden from me. They are notes from his grandfather depicting the horrible night that he killed his family on the Isle of Carthis. His journey to Blue Cove and his founding of the Centre. Amongst those papers was a detailing of the scrolls that he found on Carthis. The monks made a translation that the Parker's have built their entire existence around. They have been creating children to fulfill their destiny. I fear for my daughter's life and that of poor Jarod. I am going to try one last attempt to get them out of the Centre. One last doctor's appointment and I will be "off to Europe". Little does anyone know, but my little Utopia here is Europe. He will never be able to find us or hurt the children again. Please. God help us.

Parker picked up the papers that had fallen to the desk and started to read the excerpts that had been written:

The Centre shall rise to command great wealth and power............

The chosen will be found. Gemini's possessing unique gifts and abilities...........

A boy named Jarod will be the instrument of either ultimate power or...........
Rise & Fall by ScifiColleen
Author's Note: Thank you guys for your reviews. They really mean a lot to me. They also help me feel out where you think the story should go. I'm putting most of my focus on this fic while I recover from back surgery. I hope you guys can bear with me if it starts to get difficult. Now, on to the story.

The balance of the game has been thrown.

The players neither winners nor losers.

In the end, truth holds the winning hand.

*****************

Angels Hope
Rise & Fall





Parker picked up the papers that had fallen to the desk and started to read the excerpts that had been written:

The Centre shall rise to command great wealth and power............

The chosen will be found. Gemini's possessing unique gifts and abilities...........

A boy named Jarod will be the instrument of either ultimate power or...........

The papers detailed the beginning of the Centre and it's affiliation with the Triumvirate. There was a sheet that was in Catherine Parker's handwriting that had notations concerning information she had found that pertained to the excerpts from the scrolls. Parker read them and started comparing the information.

Her great grandfather had written down what he could remember of the scrolls. He had handed them down through the generations, first to her grandfather and then to her father. The Parker lineage was to pay for the price of this knowledge with a pledge of blood and deeds.

Parker thought, "My mother must have found the papers and relocated them to Angel's Hope. That must be why Daddy and Raines were so desperate for Jarod and I to find the original scrolls. Mom took the only reference to their base of power." She smiled at her mother's cleverness.

The Centre shall rise to command great wealth and power to control commerce and countries. The chosen will be found. Gemini's possessing unique gifts and abilities will bring about the prosperity and the destruction of the Centre. Her great grandfather had originally sought children under the zodiac sign and born from May 22nd to June 21st. The whole time searching for a gifted child named Jarod. He founded the Sepastian cult in the United States and met with members in Boston. Certain monks came from Carthis to provide information and updates. Many treasure seekers had come to Carthis hearing of the power of the scrolls, but no one had been able to locate them. It was said that the scrolls had been cursed because those who searched for them often vanished. In reality, the Monks that were working with the Parkers were killing the searchers and dumping the bodies into the ocean. Through various business deals and land holdings, Niles Parker started amassing a fortune. It was in the 50's that the Centre re- interpreted the passage to mean twins instead of a zodiac sign. Parker's grandfather, Robert, had joined forces with a group in Africa that had also heard of the scrolls, but had been unsuccessful in locating them. Thus the collaboration with the Triumvirate was born; a league that monitored activities in that part of the world and who used the Centre with their business dealings. Robert had convinced the Triumvirate that they had the scrolls. By feeding them the information achieved though Centre resources, Niles and Robert Parker kept them from taking total control of the Centre. All the while gaining more allies in the black market underground. After Niles Parker's death, Robert Parker took control of the Tower. This was the main governing body of the Centre and he formed the medical sub-divisions in the Blue Cove facility. Sub-levels 20 through 30 were constructed and a new state of the art security system was installed. Various medical experiments were conducted all through World War II and the Korean War. Robert Parker married Deborah Carlisle and had a son, Robert Jr., and a daughter, Elizabeth. After Deborah and Elizabeth Parker's deaths in a car crash and Robert Parker's death of a heart attack, Robert Parker Jr. became the CEO and Chairman of the Board for the Centre. Several years later, Robert Jr. married Catherine Jamieson.

Parker looked at the words again. "Deborah and Elizabeth killed in a car crash. Strange how all the family members of male Parkers just happen to meet untimely deaths?" She looked at the one sentence over and over.......The Parker lineage was to pay for the price of this knowledge with a pledge of blood. Was her mother's blood the price her father had paid?

************************

Jarod silently sat next to Lily's bed. He held her small hand gently in his large hand noticing how strong yet how frail it looked. He realized that emotionally they were the same as that hand. Frail in some ways (their need to know who they were and where they came from) and strong in others (their resolve to do good and thwart evil). But for Lily everything was imploding. He had had years to cope with and come to terms with his childhood. She would just be beginning. A past that was as horrible, if not worse than his own. He could imagine what Raines had done to her as a child. He knew what Raines had done to him his entire life.

"Sitting here all night is not going to do her or yourself any good. Why don't you go to your room and get some sleep?" Dr. Stedman stated after quietly entering the room and seeing Jarod's drawn face.

"I want to be here when she wakes up. She is going to need someone who understands the turmoil raging inside her."

"I can see that you are very much like your sister, so I'm not even going to try and change your mind. If you need anything, Mark will be watching." Stedman nodded toward the camera focused on her bed.

Jarod looked at the camera with loath in his eyes. He hated being watched. "I'll let him know if we need anything." Dr. Stedman started to walk towards the door. "Dr. Stedman. Can I ask you something?"

She turned to face Jarod. "Of course Jarod."

"How.....close.....are Lily and Mark?" He asked sheepishly.

Dr. Stedman looked seriously at Jarod. "They are engaged to be married." But she sensed his uneasiness. "Don't worry about intruding on Mark. He is giving you this time alone with her. And he'll be stopping in to see her. He is one of the best psychologists in the country and he knows that you can better recognize what she will be going through. Help her through this, if she can get through this. Allot of things are going to be jumbled in her brain. What we told her verses what she would now remember. You will be her navigator. Get her through the rough waters and the sandpits."

"Clean up yours and the Centre's messes." Jarod looked directly in Stedman's eyes.

"Jarod. We do what we have to do to try and save these children. All of them come broken and twisted and we try and help them. I clean up the Centre's messes. All of them. And up to this point, with Lily's help. The only one I know who could counter your genius. I needed her focused. I needed her to believe that life was ideal." Stedman turned and walked the rest of the way to the door. She sharply turned around and looked at Jarod. "Because I couldn't stand to think what her reality was. I love her Jarod as if she were my own child. Think about it." Stedman left the room.

Jarod looked back at Lily who was now slightly mumbling in her sleep. He knew that this was the beginning. What demons were chasing her in her mind? And did they have the face of William Raines?

************************

Parker read the next words with intrigue.

A boy named Jarod will be the instrument of either ultimate power or total destruction of the Centre. A child prodigy born of strength and inner light. Born one of two, mastered to manipulate man and machine. Destined to marry the heir of power, another who possesses an inner sense. Together they will come to challenge the powers and change outcomes. Assisted by other prodigies of dark and light. The boy is one half of a whole. The other half will be as sweet as a morning flower and as deadly as a serpent. If the halves are joined, the two will overcome all obstacles placed before them. Giving the three authority over the power of the Centre.

She laid her head on the desk. Many things were running through her head. Her father's last words:

"The scrolls are real. So is the pain they inflicted especially on your mother. .......It's time to fulfill her wish and send this evil back where it belongs.........You'll be alright, it's not how they say it ends........I love you as my daughter, that's all that counts. Don't be sad. The new Parker legacy begins with you. God be with you Angel."

Her thoughts wandered to the words Jarod spoke when they were at the airport from Carthis.

"I hate to see anyone miss a turning point, when one is staring one in the face......Only you can decide for yourself whether or not to take a hard look at your life. The way your mother once did......Then who are you - you're father? Is the Parker legacy what you want to pass on to your children?

He had taken her hand. Tried to make her realize her life could be something more. Was Jarod right? Were they meant to be together? Did some higher power know that they were meant for each other? Fate. Kismet. Divine intervention. Two pieces of a puzzle that fit together.

Raines and her father had tried to keep them apart as children. But still they managed to steal time away together. Climbing into the air ducts, sometimes with the help of Angelo. But as she grew older, the Centre forced them apart by sending her to boarding school and then off to college. Teaching her to become colder and harder emotionally. Had they seen the connection that was forging between them? Not one of coldness, but that of friendship and caring.

Her father knew what her great grandfather had written from the scrolls. Destined to marry the heir of power, another who possesses an inner sense. They knew her mother had an inner sense. Did they assume that her children would also have it? Had they thought that after acquiring Jarod as a young boy, they would use her for their own purpose? Had they banked that they could manipulate Jarod to work willingly for them? That through time he would relent to their treatment of him and become their willing puppet like Lyle. Were they determined after breaking both their wills, to again reintroduce each other and hope for a union? But Jarod's escape had ruined any plans they may have had. They pulled her from corporate to search and find him. She always wondered why they had called her back and why it was imperative to her father that she find Jarod. Was it the Centre's way of keeping them connected?

And did they now realize that if the two gained power that they would never allow the atrocities that had been taking place to continue. Lyle could now be the key that Raines was banking on. Lyle had the coldness that was the heart of the Centre. The coldness that on some level she no longer possessed. Jarod had seen to that. Had brought her out of the darkness and into the light. No longer could she just look the other way. She knew that Raines had executed her mother. Watching the DSA of him executing her after Ethan's birth had clinched any loyalty she had to the Centre and any ties to being a true Parker. But she also knew that the arms of the Centre were long and she couldn't afford to let Jarod get close to her. She knew that she had hurt him and it had killed her inside, though she would never admit it.

"Who am I Mother?" She realized that she was now where Jarod had been for the last six years. Knowing technically who she was, but not knowing in her heart who she was. Her father's or mother's daughter. She now knew she couldn't be both. Her mind was still running a mile a minute as she fell asleep at her mother's, now her desk. As she drifted off to sleep, she could hear her mother's voice in the back her mind. "You are my beautiful daughter. Here you are safe. Trust them. Trust yourself. You must finish my work...."

************************

Stedman walked into her suite and poured herself a drink. So many situations had happened in the last weeks that jeopardized everything that she and Catherine had started.

"Catherine." She said aloud talking to her friend, hoping she could hear her. "What do I do if I can't bring Lily back again from the brink she teeters on? I know you always thought that she and Jarod along with your daughter was the key to destroying the Centre. But the circumstances have changed." She walked to her bathroom and started to get changed for bed. "I wasn't able to save them. They haven't grown up into the adults we thought that they would be. Lily is unruly, Jarod is defiant, and Little Miss Parker is much her father's daughter. Am I going to be able to direct them to the chores that they have ahead? If they can't complete their mission, then everything we have worked for will be destroyed. The Centre will be too powerful for us to counter anymore." She walked to the bed and sat down. She picked up the phone. "Yes, it's Stedman. Please call me immediately if there are any changes in Lily. Is Jarod still in her room? No, that's fine. Leave him there for now. I'll let you know if access becomes restricted. Goodnight." Stedman hung up the phone. She opened a drawer in the nightstand at the side of her bed. She reached in and picked up a picture. "I miss your assistance my love. I could really use your advice right now. What should I do? I wish for one moment I could be in your arms again and you could tell me everything would be all right. But both you and Catherine are gone now. Casualties of the cause." She put the picture back into the drawer and shut it. "Is there someone that you would have trusted? Someone who could help me." She thought to herself for a moment. She opened the drawer again and took out an old black address book. She flipped through the pages till she found the number that she needed. She picked up the phone again and dialed the number. The phone rang the number and was quickly picked up.

"Sydney."

************************

Jarod had fallen asleep in the chair next to Lily's bed. He had tried to stay awake, but exhaustion had overtaken him. He moaned as he slept seeing visions of his mother (coming out of the cab, the look of pain as she realized who he was and that the Centre operatives were coming to get them), his sister Emily (bandaged and unconscious after the Centre's attack), his father's face (the look of pain in his eyes as he had to leave Jarod on that runway strip to save Parker), and the most horrible image of all Kyle (dying in is arms after Lyle had shot him). Jarod had always felt guilt over Kyle's death.

First because as a young boy hadn't remembered that he had a brother and that left Kyle open to Raines' torture. And second that he was unable to save Kyle because he had stopped him from shooting Lyle when he had the chance. He had tried to save his soul, but in the end killed his brother. His father and he had conversations where Major Charles tried to convince him that he was not responsible for Kyle's life or death, but deep down Jarod still had that guilt.

Now he was seeing Lily standing in a field, smelling flowers and smiling. Jarod was facing her and could see how happy she was. Then he saw Cox standing off caddy corner to Lily's side. He had his gun raised and was about to shoot. Jarod started to scream "Nooooo!" When he was jolted out of his sleep and nearly jumped out of his chair. He looked around the room, disorientated for a few moments. He turned to the see Lily wrestling around in the bed. She was thrashing and kicking at imaginary assailants.

Lily could see herself as a young child, trapped in a dark room. She could hear the sounds of other children crying and being dragged away. She hid herself in the corner of the room. Trying to hide herself in the dark. Two men entered the room and grabbed her. "Mommy! Daddy!" She could see herself scream over and over. The two men carrying her by her arms into the hallway. Someone is in the hallway. He is a tall, skinny, sinister looking man holding a syringe and bottle. He is drawing the liquid into the syringe.

"Hold her still. This will calm her down for the procedure." The man said with a low raspy voice. She had come to hate this boogey man.

Young Lily pulled her arms free and ran down the hall, frantically looking for an escape route. Coming up the hall was another child, a young boy who she recognized. She could hear the boogey man issuing orders and the men coming quickly up behind her. The boy began to struggle to get free. To help the young Lily. She knows that he is her friend. He stomps on the foot of the guard and he runs to her. Pushing her behind him. The guards are in a huddle around them trying to get them apart, the whole time the two children fighting their way to stay free. Amongst the screams and tears, the boogey man was screaming more orders. The guards finally separate the two as they are screaming for each other.

The boy violently kicking screams "Let her go! Take me! I won't fight if you let her go!"

The young girl is dragged in the opposite direction, the guard trying to get a strong hold on the girl. "No! No don't! Don't hurt him!" She watched as the boogey man injected the boy with the syringe and his body went limp. "Noooooooooooooo!" She screamed.

The guard put the boy's body on a nearby stretcher and he is wheeled away. The boogey man turns around and she can see him filling another syringe. "No. Stay away from me." She was backing up away from him, but was stopped by the guard behind her. "You promised him. You liar!" The guard is trying to hold her still as the boogey man is coming closer.

"Extend and restrain her arm." The boogey man sticks the needle in as Lily screams to the boy on the gurney that had now disappeared.

"BOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

************************

The Players - Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope

A new game started.

Truth or Consequences.
Nightmares & Dreams by ScifiColleen
The Players - Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope

A new game started.

Truth or Consequences.

*************

The guard put the boy's body on a nearby stretcher and he is wheeled away. The boogey man turns around and she can see him filling another syringe. "No. Stay away from me." She was backing up away from him, but was stopped by the guard behind her. "You promised him. You liar!" The guard is trying to hold her still as the boogey man is coming closer.

"Extend and restrain her arm." The boogey man sticks the needle in as Lily screams to the boy on the gurney that had now disappeared.

"BOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

**************

Angels Hope
Nightmares & Dreams




Jarod could see that Lily was having problems breathing and that whatever nightmare she was having had put her in extreme distress. He got up from his chair and sat on the bed next to her trembling, thrashing body. He shook her slightly hoping that he could wake her from her nightmare.

Lily bolted up to a sitting position, her arms punching at the imaginary aggressors. "Leave me alone!"

Jarod tried to restrain her arms so that she wouldn't pull out the intravenous lines or her stitches. "Lily, it's me. Jarod. You're safe. No one is going to hurt you here."

"Let me go! Let me go!" She tried to punch him. Not recognizing who he was, just caught in the horrible vision. Her eyes wide open in fear.

"Mark, help me." Jarod yelled.

Mark had awakened when he heard Lily scream. He looked at the monitor over the technicians shoulder, grabbed the medication that he had already preset, and was already on his way to Lily's room by the time Jarod had called for help. He swiped his card and ran into the room. He saw that Jarod was struggling to keep her from pulling her lines out.

"Hold her arms down." Mark ordered. Jarod tried to put a bear hug on Lily without pulling her lines out himself.

All she could see was Raines' face. All she could feel was the guard holding her tightly so that she felt like the wind was being pushed out of her lungs. She gasped for breath.

"Mark, why is she breathing like this? I'm not holding her tight enough so that she can't breath. Could she have an airway obstruction?" Jarod asked as he could see her still gasping for breath.

Mark injected the tranquilizer into Lily's IV. Her frantic eyes turned glassy and she fell back against Jarod and into a disturbed sleep.

"I suspected that this would happen. The memories of the traumatic experiences she had as a child are starting to surface. I believe this is only the beginning Jarod; she has a long road ahead. Only God knows what they did to her there."

Jarod had a great memory and could very well imagine what Raines had put her through. The terror in her eyes told it all.

"Jarod the sedative I gave her will have her unconscious at least until the morning. I'll stay with her this shift. You go and get some rest."

"But I want to be here..." Jarod replied determined to be there when his sister needed him.

"You're not going to do her any good if you are suffering from lack of sleep. She needs you refreshed and ready to face her demons. And you can't do that sleeping in the chair. I'm thinking of her as well as you. Please take my advice." Mark had a concerned tone in his voice.

Jarod realized that Mark was right. He would do his sister no good if he were exhausted. He also could see in Mark's eyes that he wanted to spend some time with Lily himself. For the first time he saw what he had suspected and what Stedman had confirmed - love in his eyes. "I'll go get some sleep and be back in the morning." Jarod started heading for the door.

"Jarod." Mark started and Jarod turned. "You may want to go past Catherine Parker's office before you retire." Jarod had a confused look on his face. "At last report, Miss Parker had fallen asleep in there and none of the guards wanted to take a chance on waking her." Mark had a smile on his face.

"Understood. She can be a little intimidating at times." Jarod smiled as he reached the door and knocked. The guard, Larry, opened the door. Jarod left smiling, thinking about what Parker would have done to the guards if they had tried to wake her.

************************

Joan hesitated as she debated whether or not to speak.

"Hello. Is anyone there?" Sydney asked into the phone hoping that it was Jarod.

"Sydney. It's Joan Stedman. I hope that I am not disturbing you, calling at this hour."

"Joan. No, I was just finishing up some paperwork and hoping that a friend would call. My God it's been ages since I have heard from you. Last I was told was that you had left the Centre without a trace after the accident."

"I know. I am so sorry that I didn't stay for Jacob's funeral, but there were circumstances that dictated that I leave immediately. If your call is important, I can call later." Joan replied.

"Joan. Wait one moment please." Sydney pulled a device from his desk and attached it to the phone receiver. Broots had given it to him to use in emergencies. He clicked it on. "OK. Now it's safe to talk."

"Is your line being tapped Sydney?" Joan asked, but not concerned since all calls from Angel's Hope were scrambled and untraceable.

"You never know with the Centre Joan. There is so much I need to tell you."

"And I you Sydney, but I don't have time for that now. I can't give you all the details mainly because I need to protect my charges and myself."

"Are you in trouble?" Sydney asked. Even after all these years he held a warmness in his heart for the woman who would have been his sister-in-law.

"According to Miss Parker, you already know that Jacob and Catherine Parker were working on freeing children from the Centre."

"You have seen Miss Parker?" Sydney said excited that he may finally know what had happened to her. "And was there a tall dark haired man with her?"

"Jarod." Joan replied. "Yes. That is why I am calling Sydney. What you probably didn't know was that I was working with Jacob and Catherine. When Jacob was killed, I went underground. To protect the children and myself. Then I heard of Catherine's death and that just confirmed that I could not contact anyone else at the Centre. Not even you. But I have a situation now Sydney. With Jarod and Miss Parker."

"The two together. That must be a handful." Sydney laughed to himself knowing that Miss Parker was a handful to her own right. Let alone Jarod being in her company. "How did they find you Joan? That last we knew they had been taken away in a van."

"Yes they are. Both intelligent and stubborn." Joan confirmed Sydney's suspicion. "Let's say one of my charges decided to take matters into her own hands and ran into Jarod. And from the account I got, Miss Parker was tracking Jarod. Thus a cleanup was in order."

"Sounds like you are part of a large operation."

"Sydney, I wish I could tell you more. Let's just say that Catherine Parker was a very smart woman and knew how in some cases to avoid the Centre. Since her death, I have taken on that cause. But my problem is handling them. There is a situation here that has hit Jarod very close to his heart and frankly he can be a very obstinate man."

Sydney laughed. "Yes. I believe Miss Parker would agree with you."

"And Miss Parker seems to be flippant on the outside, but I can see that finding out information about her mother is tearing her apart. What happened to her Sydney after Catherine's death?"

"She was sent away from the Centre in her early teen years and was forced to live her life without the emotional bonding that Catherine had. Mr. Parker was a very cold man who taught her to bury her feelings. She now struggles between being the daughter her father trained her to be and the sensitive woman her mother would have taught her to become. There is something else you should know that I'm not sure she has told you. Catherine was murdered by William Raines."

"I thought Catherine died of a self-inflicted wound in an elevator?" Joan asked astonished. "You mean Raines shot her in that elevator?"

"No. Catherine faked her own death. She was really pregnant and thought that Robert Parker was going to kill her, so she allowed Raines to help her fake her own death."

"But you just said that Raines killed Catherine. Why would she trust him?" Joan thought to herself. "Why wouldn't she have come here?"

"She was trapped. She couldn't leave on her trip with Miss Parker as she had hoped and had to get out of the Centre. So I guess she took the only recourse she saw open to her, but it was a mistake. All Raines wanted was the baby. He was a genetic product of Catherine and Jarod's father."

"Raines was playing God again." Joan said stoic, remembering what she had read in Catherine's files.

"And in the end he shot Catherine dead and took the baby."

"That monster. Were you able to find the child?" Joan asked concerned what Raines would do if he possessed a child that had Jarod's intelligence and Catherine's gift for inner sense.

"Jarod and Miss Parker found him working on one of Raines' projects and luckily stopped him before anyone could get hurt. As far as I know Jarod helped him to escape and he is out there somewhere."

"And probably wondering where Jarod is. Oh Sydney this is such a mess."

Sydney could hear the concern in her voice. "Whatever you do Joan you have to remember one thing. The most important thing to Jarod right now is finding out the truth about himself and finding his family. When it comes to those two things, there is no stopping him. He has been searching for six years for his family and has finally been piecing them together one by one."

"That explains the world Sydney. I knew that I could count on you. I now know how I must deal with them both. It's been nice talking to you."

"Joan. Wait. I'd like to help. Can you tell me where you are? I wouldn't tell anyone here where I was going."

"I'm sorry Sydney. I can't take a chance that they will follow you. I'll keep you updated." And with that Joan hung up the phone.

Sydney stared at the receiver in his hand. "I wish you luck Joan. With those two, you are going to need it." He hung up the phone and proceeded to gather his belongings to leave for the evening.

************************

Parker could see her mother walking the halls of Angel's Hope. She was happy and smiling. Small children would run up to her and the ones that couldn't she would go to. Touch their faces and speak kind words to them. She went into the arboretum and read a book to a group of children sitting on the grass. Parker felt a warmth come over her and she instinctively knew it was her mother.

"This is how I wanted your life to be." Parker could hear, feel her mother say? Her mother was standing facing her now. "Happy, playful. My beautiful gift from God."

"Mom. I miss you so much." Parker heard herself say. She was standing opposite her mother now, tears rolling down her cheeks. "I was so confused and angry when you died. Daddy told me you killed yourself, but then I found out..."

Catherine wiped the tears from Parker's cheek. "Sssshh. That's in the past now. Nothing you can do can change what has happened. But you can change what will happen. You can't be happy living a lie." She smiled that sweet smile that Parker remembered so well.

"Turning points." Parker mumbled as her mother's image faded away.

************************

Jarod approached Catherine Parker's office door. Miss Parker's guard, Morris, was still standing duty. "Is Miss Parker still inside?"

"Yes sir. She is asleep on the desk. We didn't want to disturb her." Morris responded.

"I understand. Miss Parker can be a little testy at times. I'll just slip in and take her to her room." Jarod proceeded to the doorknob of the office.

"Sir. Are you sure you want to wake her?" The guard asked looking a little concerned. "She doesn't take being interrupted very well."

Jarod chuckled. "I have been waking her up for years and she hasn't killed me yet. Has tried..." Jarod opened the door and looked back at the two gentlemen. "But has never succeeded." With a smile he stepped into the room. With the desk lamp being the only light in the room, he could barely make out Parker's outline. As he approached the desk, he could see that she was sound asleep on the desk. She looked peaceful and was, he could swear, smiling. He couldn't help but think that she looked beautiful, with her hair falling softly over her face. "I wonder what you are dreaming about Miss Parker?" He could hope that it was their time at Ocee's, but that would be wishful thinking. She had made her decision in the car at the airport in Morocco. But he knew no matter how hard he tried or how much she denied it; she was burned into his heart.

Jarod went over to the chair and gently picked up Parker so that she was cradled in his arms. Her head fell softly onto his shoulder and she nuzzled into the warmth of the crook of his neck. Jarod felt a shudder through his body as he felt her soft skin against his neck. He carried her to the door and gently kicked the door. Morris opened the door and Jarod gracefully maneuvered Parker through the doorway. He carried her to the elevator and the guard pushed the button for the doors to open. They took the elevator to SL 10 and brought her into her room. He gently placed her on the bed. He took the blanket that was folded neatly on the bottom of the bed and placed it over her. Pulling it up to her shoulders, he was close enough to her to give her a kiss. Thinking for a moment, he decided not too. He reminded himself again that she had made her decision. He got up off the bed and proceeded to leave the room giving Parker one last look before he closed the door.

When she heard the door click, Parker opened her eyes. "Goodnight Wonder Boy." She snuggled into the pillow and fell fast asleep.

************************

"BOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!" Lily felt her body relax and the guard picked her up and placed her on a gurney. A man in a white jacket came next to the boogey man and started pushing the gurney in the direction that Bobby had gone. She was pushed through a set of doors and taken into a room that had allot of bright overhead lights and curtained areas. In the curtained areas were other gurneys with children on them. She turned her head in both directions, scanning the children looking for her friend. She was pushed past the one area and she could see Bobby laying on the gurney, a nurse shaving a section of hair behind his ear.

"Leave him alone." She said slurring her words.

"She's still conscious. Nurse, get me." Raines was shouting orders to one of the nurses.

She was just about to be wheeled into a cubicle when Lily spotted a young girl laying on one of the gurneys.

Lily bolted up in her bed and screamed, "Miss Parker!"

************************

The Players - Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope

Truth comes with Consequences.

Fate powers the game.

Can Trust and Hope give them the answers?
Rebirth by ScifiColleen
The Players - Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope

Truth comes with Consequences.

Fate powers the game.

Can Trust and Hope give them the answers?

************************

Angels Hope
Rebirth




"She's still conscious. Nurse, get me." Raines was shouting orders to one of the nurses.

She was just about to be wheeled into a cubicle when Lily spotted a young girl laying on one of the gurneys.

Lily bolted up in her bed and screamed, "Miss Parker!"

Mark sat straight up in the chair he had fallen asleep in and Becky rushed up from the end of the bed. She had slipped into Lily's room in the early morning; trying not to wake Mark who she could see needed the sleep.

"Lily honey, it's OK. It was just a nightmare." Mark tried to calm her down.

"I have to go." Lily was trying to get out of bed. "I have to find Miss Parker."

Becky was trying to block her way out of the bed. "Lily, you're going to hurt yourself. Please lay down. You just had surgery."

"I need to see her right now!" Lily was trying to push past Becky, but Mark helped to hold her back.

In grabbing Lily's arm, Becky received a vision. "If I promise to find her, will you please lie back down?" Becky pleaded.

Lily calmed down and Mark helped her back up to her pillow. "Find her now Becky!"

************************

Broots had gotten up early so that he could get ready for work before he had to get Debbie up. He was putting on his multicolored shirt (the one that Miss Parker had told him made him look like a reject from the '70's) and was singing Staying Alive with the radio.

Debbie stood at the doorway of her father's room watching him rolling his arms and moving his rear end to the beat of the music. "No wonder disco died." Debbie said.

Broots, startled, turned and looked at his daughter. "Disco did not die; it just took a hiatus." He smiled at her. "What are you doing up so early honey?"

"Can I talk to you about something?"

"Sure honey anything you want." Then Broots thought to himself - what if she wants to talk about sex or that time of the month. He started feeling queasy and started to stutter. "I mean uh yes...yes we can talk about anything you want. No matter how embarrassing it may be. I mean you can always talk to me about anything. I want you to be able to talk to me about anything."

"Dad! It's OK. Calm down. You're going to give yourself a coronary." Broots calmed down a little. "I know you never want to talk about work and that you work at that place the Centre. Do you work undercover or something?"

Broots had to laugh. He never considered himself 007, but then he had gotten into some pickles because of the Centre. "Nothing like that Sweetheart. I work in their computer department. Why are you asking if I am an undercover agent?"

"Because I think I'm being followed." Debbie said as Broots sat in shock.

************************

Lily laid on the pillow wanting the whole time to get up and find Parker herself. She was fighting the sleepiness that felt overwhelming. She knew that there had to be medication in the intravenous and she fought to stay awake. The dreams that she was having were terrifying and felt so real. But sleep overtook her and she was back in that awful place again.

The young girl laying on the gurney was unconscious. A tall man in a suit was standing next to her and calling her his Angel. That everything would be all right. The boogey man came up behind him. He was now in scrubs.

"Little Missy Parker will be fine. She has one of the best chances of success for this project." The boogeyman was telling the tall man.

"She better come out of this unharmed William. Nothing better happen to my little angel or your head will be mine." A nurse came behind the arguing men and pulled a curtain closed blocking Lily's view.

A nurse came into the area that Lily had been wheeled into and was lifting her arm to put in an intravenous. Lily pulled all the strength she could and pulled her arm away from the woman. She cupped both her hands into a fist and clocked the woman in the jaw sending her flying. Picking herself up on the gurney, Lily crawled down, fell off the gurney, and landed on the floor. She got onto her feet, teetering, trying to get past all the curtains to escape. The boogeyman and the suited man came from behind the curtain and were yelling. Lily tried to reach the hallway she could see in front of her. An orderly ran up behind her and grabbed her, as she was just about to reach the hallway. He carried her kicking and screaming back to the gurney.

"Why isn't she sedated?" The man in the suit was yelling at the boogeyman.

"She has been. We're having a little trouble with this one and Bobby. They are very strong willed. Everything is under control. The procedure should make them easier to handle." Replied the boogeyman annoyed at being interrupted.

The orderly deposited Lily back onto the gurney. She tried to pull away, but there was no strength left in her. Again the nurse attempted to put in the IV and another administered medication into the line. After Lily settled down, the nurse picked up a razor. She tilted Lily's head sideways, trimming the hair from behind her ear. Everything she looked at was fuzzy and time seemed distorted.

Lily laid there trying to stay awake and fighting the medication. Two orderlies came in and started wheeling her out of the curtained area and through a set of double doors. She tilted her head to the left and saw the little angel girl being wheeled in the opposite direction. There was a bandage on the side of her head behind her ear. Lily was wheeled into an operating room. She could see trays of instruments and people running around in scrubs. A man appeared above her face and was holding a mask that he brought down over her nose and mouth. She tried to push the mask away, but the man kept it steady. The man was telling her to count back from 100. Lily was gasping for breath trying not to breathe in the gas. The boogeyman came into view above her, with a surgical mask covering his face and then everything faded away.

*************************

"Debbie honey, what do you mean you think someone is following you?"

"It was just a feeling at first. Like someone was watching me. But then I saw this car a couple of times. It either sped up when I looked at it or it was parked farther up the street from my school. Miss Parker always told me to be careful and watch everything around me. That there are crazy weirdoes out there and to look for anything out of the ordinary. What should I do?" She looked at him with those sweet eyes that always melted his heart.

"Debbie. I don't want you to go anywhere alone. Stay with your friends wherever you go. Don't go even to the bathroom by yourself. I'll take you and pick you up from school. Maybe you can spot the car while I am driving."

"Dad, what about the play?"

"Oh yeah the play. OK. I'll pick you up after the rehearsals. How does that sound?" Broots did not want to upset his daughter more than she was already upset. "Go on get ready for school. Don't worry, I'll take care of everything."

Debbie left his room and Broots sat on the bed. Broots said out loud. "Thank you Miss Parker for trying to keep her safe, but where are you?" There was only one reason someone would be following Debbie and that would be because of the Centre. With Miss Parker gone, he was going to have to investigate himself why someone was following his daughter.

************************

Becky had run into the dining hall after finding out from Security where Jarod and Miss Parker were. They were eating breakfast with Dr. Stedman when Becky came in. She told them that Lily had woken up and was frantic to see Miss Parker.

"Why would she want to see me?" Parker had asked.

"I had been sitting at the end of her bed. She was having one heck of a nightmare and woke up in a start. Mark and I were trying to restrain her from getting out of bed when I touched her and saw her and another child being carried away. She's remembering things and she needs to see Miss Parker now." Becky went and grabbed Parker's arm.

Miss Parker instinctively pulled her arm out of Becky's grasp. "All right! I'll go with you."

"Not without me." Jarod chimed in and got up from his seat.

"I think we can all go and evaluate the situation." Joan wondered if Lily was remembering what she suspected.

The group went immediately to Lily's room. They walked in to find Mark trying to apply oxygen and Lily gasping for breath. Mark was trying to wake her.

"What's happening?" Joan immediately went to help Mark.

Jarod went to follow, but Parker held him back. "Let them do their jobs Jarod."

"Lily wake up it's Joan." Joan was shaking Lily who opened her eyes, tried to pull herself up, and pushed the mask away.

"Honey it's OK, it's only oxygen." Mark was trying to smile to give her a sense of security.

Lily focused on the two faces and relaxed, bringing herself back down on the pillow. "Where's Miss Parker?"

"Right here Lily. You wanted to see me?" Parker came into view.

Lily touched behind her ear where she was feeling pain and felt a dressing. Mark started to take her pulse and took the dressing off to check the stitches. Lily pushed Mark's hand away and felt behind her ear.

"It wasn't just a dream. Miss Parker please come here and sit on the bed." Lily asked.

Parker came over and sat on the bed. "What is all this about Lily?"

Lily brought herself up to a sitting position. She tipped Miss Parker's head and looked behind her ear. She found what she was looking for right along the hairline. "I was right, it wasn't just a nightmare."

"What the hell are you doing?" Parker jerked herself away from Lily and started feeling behind her ear. She felt what was the reminisce of a scar. "I've never noticed that before."

"Mark, Joan. Look behind Miss Parker's ear."

Jarod joined the doctors and looked behind Miss Parker's ear. There was an old scar about an inch and a half in length. "It's what I suspected." Joan stated as she walked away.

"He implanted them in all of them?" Mark conferred with Joan.

"So will someone please tell me what the hell is going on?" Lily asked confused. "My head feels like someone has done the Mexican Hat Dance on my brain. I was having a dream that I was somewhere as a child. Children were getting prepped for medical procedures. And there was a boy and I knew him, his name was Bobby. And the boogeyman was there and another man in a suit that called the little girl he was standing by Angel. It was Raines wasn't it? And Mr. Parker." Lily looked at the group and knew by their expressions that she was right. "What did that son of a bitch do to us?"

Parker came to realize what was happening. "Do you mean to tell me that that ghoul placed one of those chips in me?" Parker had fury in her eyes. "And Daddy knew it?" Her fury changed to heartbreak. Jarod moved to her, wanting to console her. But she moved away from him.

"What chips? Would someone please tell me what is going on?" Lily's fury was matching Parker's.

"Honey. When you were at the Centre, they put a chip in that could be regulated to elicit emotional responses." Mark looked into her eyes.

"Like anger." Mark nodded his head yes. "What I don't understand is in the nightmare I was older than four, I was around six years old. But I wasn't at the Centre when I was six." Lily looked at Joan, who lowered her head. And then Lily had her answer. "How long was I at the Centre Joan?"

"Jacob and Catherine brought you and Becky here when you were almost seven years old." Joan replied waiting for the backlash from Lily. But turned in surprise when Becky retaliated.

"Seven years old! First you tell us that we're not sisters, now you're telling us that we were at the Centre for three years!" Having realized what was now coming together, she felt behind her ear. There was no scar behind either ear. "I don't feel anything. Why don't I have a chip?"

"For some reason, neither you nor Jarod were part of that experiment. My conclusion would be that they did not want to take the chance of interrupting your special gift. As for Jarod, we assume that Sydney's monitoring kept them from being able to follow through with any implantation." Joan concluded.

"Why can't we remember any of this? I mean I should know if I had surgery." Parker asked trying to digest all this new information.

"They never wanted you to remember. Or any of us. Little puppets for their own agenda." Lily concluded having lain back down.

"So what do we do now?" Jarod asked.

"Well obviously you removed mine, so remove Miss Parker's." Lily looked at everyone. "You did remove it, didn't you? Didn't you?" Blank stares came back from everyone. "It's still there? Why didn't you take it out?"

"It can't be taken out Lily without causing irrepairable damage. We've tried to modify it so that the mood swings aren't so drastic. And we can't stop the memories from coming back. You'll start to have your full memory over time." Joan tried to explain.

"And what about me? Has this thing been functioning all these years? Did it get turned off? Am I going to pop like a firecracker? Will someone give me some damn answers!" Parker glared at everyone.

"Nope. It's working fine." Jarod smiled at Parker.

"What does that mean Pez Boy?" Parker retorted.

"Pez Boy?" Everyone repeated.

"Miss Parker if it will make you feel better I will let Mark take you to the research team and we can run some tests." Joan tried to placate her. "Besides I think Lily has had enough excitement right now and needs some rest. Everyone." Joan motioned for the door.

"This way Miss Parker. We'll have a look at that chip." Mark escorted Parker who rolled her eyes, which Jarod caught.

"I would like Jarod to stay Joan." Lily asked. "I want to talk to him for a moment."

"Not too long. You need rest. And I mean it." Joan exited the room closing the door behind her.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" Jarod asked sitting in the chair next to the bed.

"I am hoping that you will tell me the truth. I don't trust the others not to lie to me. But you have been through the hell that is the Centre." Lily looked into Jarod's eyes.

"I'll tell you anything you want to know. No lies. There have been enough lies."

"Good. Then my first question is - Are you in love with Miss Parker?"

************************

The Players - Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope

With Truth comes enlightenment.

With Fate comes responsibility.

With Trust comes openness.

With Hope can there be love?
Reflections & Prisms by ScifiColleen
PLEASE REVIEW, ... pretty please with a cherry on top! I'll be your best friend! Didn't work? Then, just read the story and review it after that

The Players - Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope

With Truth comes enlightenment.

With Fate comes responsibility.

With Trust comes openness.

With Hope can there be love?

************************

Angels Hope
Reflections & Prisms




"I would like Jarod to stay Joan." Lily asked. "I want to talk to him for a moment."

"Not too long. You need rest. And I mean it." Joan exited the room closing the door behind her.

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" Jarod asked sitting in the chair next to the bed.

"I am hoping that you will tell me the truth. I don't trust the others not to lie to me. But you have been through the hell that is the Centre." Lily looked into Jarod's eyes.

"I'll tell you anything you want to know. No lies. There have been enough lies."

"Good. Then my first question is - Are you in love with Miss Parker?"

"What?" Jarod asked stun.

"Are you in love with Miss Parker? It's a simple enough question." Lily asked again.

"That is far from a simple question. A lot has happened....we're not able to..." Jarod got up and walked away from the bed, unsure how to express what their relationship is.was...

"But are you in love with her?" Lily asked again more forceful.

Jarod turned and looked at Lily. "Yes."

"Thank you. Now I know that I can trust you."

"A test?" Jarod asked. Curiosity was intriguing him now.

"Yes. If you could be open enough with me to answer that one question truthfully, then I would know that any other question would be trivial in comparison."

"If I could bare my soul to you, then you can with me." Jarod surmised.

"In a way, yes." Lily closed her eyes. "What is happening to me?"

"The chip started to malfunction. It sent you into a rage. Do you remember what happened in the arboretum?"

"Sort of. It was like I was watching everything happen and couldn't stop myself." Lily hesitated, "but the nightmares are even more real. I'm watching this little girl struggling and being hurt and I can't do anything to help. But I can also feel everything that is happening to her."

"Because she isn't another person, it's you. You went through those things. I know that you're frightened right now."

"I'm not frightened. I don't get frightened." Lily replied defiantly.

Jarod sat down next to her and put his arm around her. "Everyone gets frightened. It's a human flaw that Raines tried to burn out of people or use for his advantage. Just know that I'll be here for you."

"Thank you." She put her head against his chest. Secretly she felt that this was the one place she would feel safe. Jarod wouldn't let anyone hurt her. Both heard a knock on the door and a beep of the lock.

Joan Stedman walked into the room. "OK you two. Enough bonding for now. Lily needs to get some rest. I have some medication to help you relax. Jarod, I think Mark could use some assistance with Miss Parker." Joan had a cup with pills and a glass of water that she brought over to Lily. She extended her hand out with the cup of pills to Lily.

" No." Lily replied.

"No?" Joan looked confused. "No what?" Joan asked

"No I'm not going to take any medication. I'm actually going to get up and get dressed and get the hell out of this room." Lily said forcefully.

"Lily you need to rest. You just had surgery. You are not Wonder Woman." Joan retorted in a monotone voice.

"Lily. Listen to Dr. Stedman. You need to get some sleep." Jarod chimed in.

"I'm not going back to sleep. I'm going to get up and go to my office and get some work done." Lily had anger in her eyes.

Stedman looked at Jarod and nodded her head. Jarod acknowledged her, but shook his head in a slight no. Lily saw the gesture between the two. "Lily. I just want you to get some rest. A lot has happened these last two days." Stedman said in a monotone voice as she made her way to the IV line.

"I don't want to go to sleep!" She yelled. Anger started to fill her.

"Lily, calm down. Try to bring your anger level down, breathe." Lily realized what Jarod was trying to do and took several big breaths. "Dr. Stedman please don't." Jarod said moving to the edge of the bed and closer to Stedman. "Don't force her into this. Talk to her first. Explain what is going on."

Stedman stopped. He turned back around to Lily. "I know you how you're feeling. I know that the thought of closing your eyes and seeing those terrifying images is what is frightening you. They terrify me. I go to sleep and sometimes I wake up screaming. And yes sometimes I don't sleep either. I've stayed awake, occasionally waking Miss Parker, just so I wouldn't have to be alone with those thoughts. What the Centre did to us was horrible, beyond reproach. But you also can't spend the rest of your life without sleep. And avoiding the pain by keeping yourself occupied with work is not going to make it go away. Believe me. I know."

Lily looked at him as her eyes started to tear up, but would not allow herself to cry. "I don't want to remember." She said in a low voice.

"I know. None of us do. The only way to make it go away is to confront them head on." He took her head against his chest and gave her a slight hug. "You don't have a choice." He lifted her chin. "You need to get some rest, please let Dr. Stedman help you."

Lily looked into his soft brown eyes and nodded yes. "I'll take the pills Joan. Not because you're telling me to, but because I want to. And because I feel enough like a pin cushion with all this junk flowing through my veins." She half smiled, took the pills and water offered, and swallowed them.

"I'll be right here with you until you fall asleep. Then I think I will have to see if Miss Parker has killed Mark yet. Good thing she doesn't have her 9 mm."

Lily stayed next to Jarod and after 20 minutes finally fell asleep. Jarod gently lowered her onto her pillow. "I feel so helpless." He said turning to Dr. Stedman. "For the last six years I have controlled or manipulated situations to my advantage. And I find myself in uncharted territory. I don't know what I can do to ease her pain."

"Just be there for her Jarod. You said it yourself - you know what her nightmares are like. Talk her through them. Get her past them. You are her twin brother and beyond anyone else can feel her pain. Even though you did not know each other existed, your lives have paralled." Jarod nodded in agreement. "Why don't you go and see if you can assist Mark. The sedative I gave her is pretty strong and she will be out for a while. A nurse will be monitoring her. I'll have her find you if she wants you."

"Thank you. I'll go find Miss Parker and see what she is up to." Jarod walked to the door and turned to look at his sister. He felt a pang of guilt in his heart and a newfound anger for Raines.

************************

"What do you mean you have found no trace. A body should have been reported by now. I'm telling you that I don't want you back in Blue Cove until you come up with some evidence that he drowned, washed up on shore somewhere, or was ate by sharks." Raines barked in between wheezes. He slammed down the phone onto its base.

"Unpleasant news?" Lyle asked with a smirk on his face knowing fully whom Raines had been talking about. "Still no trace of him?"

"No. The Sweeper team has been unsuccessful in finding the scrolls either. How has your search been for Miss Parker and Jarod?"

"Nothing new to report. It's like they vanished into thin air as well." Lyle retorted. "Angelo hasn't come up with any information that has been of any use, though Sydney has been spending a particularly long amount of time with him."

"Keep your eye on Sydney. His loyalty to this operation is far from clear. He may know where they are."

"I don't think so. He has been way too moody and according to my sources has not received a call from Jarod in weeks. Unusual behavior for Wonder Boy."

"Keep the Sweeper team looking for the person who rented that van. Have them get it and tear it apart if they have to. I want Jarod found!" Raines raised his tone, annoyed at all the incompetence that had happen since they left Carthis. "How are preparations going on the Succession Project? Is everything being finalized for subject 684's arrival?" Raines asked wheezing between sentences.

"The renovation is almost complete on SL27. The labs need some more equipment that we have on order. It should be here by next week. It took longer than expected to clear the debris from the fire. The quarters are ready. Cox has her under surveillance and will bring her in when given the word."

"Fine. Just make sure nothing goes wrong this time. I would hate for you to lose yet another subject due to inaccurate planning." Raines scowled. "She may also be the key to capturing Jarod."

Lyle rolled his eyes and tried to keep the anger that was building up inside not to show. "Everything will run smoothly." He thought to himself, "Especially since Parker and Jarod are out of the way." Though he wanted more than anything to capture Jarod again and get his sister out of his hair, he wondered where they were. And who had them. Possibly a new player in the game and at times that meant trouble.

"It better." Raines flipped his hand toward the door dismissing Lyle and then focused on research paperwork he had on his desk.

"Your time is coming." Lyle said under his breath as he left the room.

**************************

Broots normally liked to ride his bike to work and Debbie her's to school, but today Broots decided that he would drive them. He wanted to see if anyone followed them and Debbie's fears were justified. He continually checked the rear view mirror to see if they were being followed. He didn't see any unusual cars. He pulled up to the school. He gave Debbie a kiss on the cheek. "Have a good day honey. I'll be here at three o'clock to pick you up.

"Dad, I have rehearsal after school." Debbie said as she too looked to see if she could see the car she had seen before.

"Oh. OK. When will you be done?"

"I should be done by five o'clock." She looked around again.

Broots noticing her uneasiness asked, "Honey. Do you see the car you saw before?"

"No. I don't see it now. It usually parks right up there." She pointed to a part of the street a little further up the block from the school.

"Well I don't see it now so just relax, but keep your eyes open. Can't ever be too careful. And remember - no where without someone else with you. OK?" Broots looked at Debbie with concern in his eyes. "I love you honey."

"I love you too Dad. I'll be OK. I've spent some time with Miss Parker." With that she opened the car door and got out. She met some of her friends by the school and walked in together.

Broots looked around again, but didn't see anything suspicious. He headed on into work. After Broots pulled away, a car pulled up down the street from where they had been parked. The man inside took out a notebook and wrote some more information in it.

************************

Parker opened her mother's office door. She looked around the room and on some level smelt her mother's favorite perfume. She walked into the room and went by the pictures. Her mother was holding her and there was such love in her eyes. She could feel her mother's presence all around her. Comforting her.

Mark had told her news that she didn't want to hear. She too had one of those chips in her head. They had done a x-ray and a MRI. Luckily it looked like it was functioning normally. She had asked if there was any way of removing it and they had told her no. She was in the same situation that Lily was in. They didn't know enough about the implantation procedure to remove it without damage. Plus if Lily's newfound memories were correct, it had been there for over 30 years and was now incorporated into her body.

She also was upset that Raines had messed with her mind. If she didn't remember the procedure, then he had conditioned her not to remember. How much more of her childhood had he erased?

"Miss Parker."

"What!" Parker replied sharply.

"I'm sorry if I am disturbing you. We can talk later." Jarod said as he started backing back out of the door.

"Jarod, no. You can come in." She replied half-sorry that she had spoken so sharp.

"I heard the news from Mark. You OK?" Jarod asked with concern in his voice.

"Sure. Not going to let some damn little chip in my head slow me down." She was hiding her true feelings from him. Letting the Ice Queen take over. She went over and sat at the desk.

"It hasn't yet." He smiled and she was forced to crack a small smile herself. But he knew she was upset. He had learned over the years to read her body language. He followed her over to the desk and sat in one of the visitor chairs.

"How is Lily doing?" She asked knowing that she would be foremost on his mind till she was on her feet.

"She is going to need a lot of help. I've had a lifetime to deal with all the ramifications of my time at the Centre. But she's having it thrown at her all at once. She doesn't want to say it, but she's afraid of the nightmares." Jarod tried to explain tactfully.

"Goodbye Utopia. Hello Hell. Raines, or what did she call him - the boogeyman - has gotten his hands onto her and she's God knows how many miles away from the Centre. All I know is when I get a hold of the son of a bitch he's going to wish he had crashed on that tarmac in Morocco." She had vented the anger that had been building up inside. "You did it again."

"What did I do?" Jarod asked.

"You are always with me during the most difficult moments of my life. My mother's and Thomas' death, when I was shot in the back, when I found out I had a brother, when I found out how my mother really died, when I found out my hideous family secret and now."

"Fate seems to keep drawing us together." Jarod thought about what Lily asked and decided to take a chance. "Too bad we can't ever seem to stay that way."

Parker looked at Jarod. "We've already been through this. You run, I chase. That's our lives."

"OK. Then I'll run to SL6 and you'll chase?" Jarod got to his knees and leaned onto the desk. "Take a look around Parker. There's no where to run to anymore. It's just you and me here alone now. No Centre Sweeper Teams, no Raines, no Lyle. Just you and me. The chase is over. It's a stalemate."

"It'll never be over Jarod, not until Raines and the Centre are gone. Raines will have Lyle looking for us." Parker retorted knowing that what Jarod said was right. Where were they going to go?

Jarod got to his feet. "This place has been hidden from the Centre for over thirty years. Do you think that Lyle is going to be able to find it? I'm going to go check on Lily." He started walking towards the door and turned around. "Just ponder this Miss Parker - now who is running and who is chasing?" Jarod turned back around and left the room. He had left the seed. Now it was time to see if it would grow.

************************

The Players - Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope

With Truth comes pain.

With Fate come decisions.

With Trust comes allegiance.

With Hope comes the future.
Ties That Bind by ScifiColleen
The Players - Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope With Truth comes pain. With Fate come decisions. With Trust comes allegiance. With Hope comes the future.

************************

Angels Hope
Ties That Bind




"Fate seems to keep drawing us together." Jarod thought about what Lily asked and decided to take a chance. "Too bad we can't ever seem to stay that way."

Parker looked at Jarod. "We've already been through this. You run, I chase. That's our lives."

"OK. Then I'll run to SL6 and you'll chase?" Jarod got to his knees and leaned onto the desk. "Take a look around Parker. There's nowhere to run to anymore. It's just you and me here alone now. No Centre Sweeper Teams, no Raines, no Lyle. Just you and me. The chase is over. It's a stalemate."

"It'll never be over Jarod, not until Raines and the Centre are gone. Raines will have Lyle looking for us." Parker retorted knowing that what Jarod said was right. Where were they going to go?

Jarod got to his feet. "This place has been hidden from the Centre for over thirty years. Do you think that Lyle is going to be able to find it? I'm going to go check on Lily." He started walking towards the door and turned around. "Just ponder this Miss Parker - now who is running and who is chasing?" Jarod turned back around and left the room. He had left the seed. Now it was time to see if it would grow.

Parker watched the door close behind Jarod. "Damn I wish I had a cigarette and a drink. I wish Sydney were here." She was subconsciously running her palm and fingers over the files on the desk. She looked down at the files when she realized what she was doing. "Do these hold the truth mother? All my life I have been told one thing and now everything turns out to be the opposite. You trusted him. You tried to save him and you told him your secret about Ethan. That should be enough, but it isn't. I feel like.I don't know how I feel."

"Maybe because you don't allow yourself to feel." Came a voice from beside Parker.

She turned her head and saw Becky standing in the doorway of Lily's office. "What would you know about how I feel?"

"I've felt it ever since I met you. You have all these feelings locked inside you, eating you from the inside out." Becky retaliated holding her ground. "I have a gift for knowing things that people are feeling. And your emotions radiate off you like a flare, though you hide them magnificently."

Parker stared Becky down, but decided that it would accomplish nothing. "I have no feelings. They were burned out of me long ago. I live to survive."

"A lonely place to be, I would say." Becky knew that she was navigating on treacherous territory. "You can survive and have feelings. Life is just juggling what you need to do with what you want to do and finding a balance."

Parker looked at Becky in shock. "Are you a damn philosopher?"

"No, just lucky enough to be empathic." She smiled at Parker trying to break the barrier that Parker had put up the minute she walked into the room.

"Did you come here for a reason or do you just lurk in doorways as a hobby?" Parker retorted not letting her defenses come down.

"I was sitting in Lily's office looking at a picture of the two of us. And I started to wonder about something that you may know the answer to and then I felt that you needed someone to talk to."

"I don't need to talk to anyone. So what do you need to know?" Parker asked trying to be polite.

"In those stacks of files, does it say who my brother is?" Becky looked at the files on the desk. "I mean if one of the files said that Jarod and Lily were brother and sister, then I should be in there too. Right?"

Parker remembered that they had found the list of siblings. She had suspected from the minute she heard that Becky was empathic, who her brother was. She picked up the file that they had earlier found. Becky pulled up a chair from around the front of the desk. Parker opened the file and handed it to Becky.

"His name is Timmy. We don't have a Timmy my age here, so he must be at the Centre. Have you met him Miss Parker?" Becky asked with excitement in her eyes.

Parker thought for a moment before answering. "Becky, there is something you need to know. Raines did some horrible things to the children of the Centre. One of those things was drug therapy. He tried to strip the children of their humanity and in some cases he succeeded. Like in Jarod's brother Kyle's case. And another Pretender named Alex."

"I can feel that you are keeping something from me. Something you don't want to tell me." Becky handed back the file and touched Miss Parker's hand. Images flooded into her. Parker watching the DSA of what Raines did to Timmy. Timmy becoming Angelo. When Parker thought Angelo might be her brother. Angelo working with Parker on images for a hidden secret. "Angelo. You thought the name Angelo. That's the man we met when we met Jarod. He's empathic like me. And Raines hurt him badly. Took away part of his mind."

Parker shook her head in agreement. "He's a very nice person."

"You called him Mush Brain. For years you used him." Becky retorted now angry at her brother's treatment. "But let me tell you, he's smarter than you give him credit for." She got up out of the chair and walked towards the door of Lily's office.

"I'm sorry Becky. You don't understand what it was like growing up in the Centre's shadow. You were taught to use people, no matter what the outcome. When I started to get to know him... when I thought he was my brother, I got to know him. He helped me to find the Island of Carthis and the truth about my family. I know that he is smarter than Raines gives him credit for."

Still facing the doorway. "I'm learning more and more what the Centre is about. I think Lily is right, it needs to be destroyed." Becky walked into Lily's office and closed the door.

"Great. Another friend made." Parker slammed the file on the desk.

************************ Lily had fallen into a deep sleep after taking the medication. She had almost hoped that it would be strong enough to keep the demons away, but the memories were not going to let her evade them. She started to remember a two-story house, she could see a small girl opening the front door and going up the stairs. Opening a bedroom door. It opened to a scarcely decorated room with a few stuffed animals and dolls on the twin bed. The little girl was sitting on the bed, when a woman entered the room.

"It's time to go Lily, our appointment is at 4:00." The woman said loudly pulling the child off the bed.

"I don't want to go." Lily saw that it was she again as a young girl and she was trying to pull her arm away. "That place is scary and that man is creepy. I think he is the Boogeyman."

"Lily this is nonsense! Dr. Raines is a fine doctor and has known you since you were born. If you weren't being such a troublemaker in school, then you wouldn't have to be going to see him." She grabbed hold of Lily again and roughly pulled her off the bed.

"I don't want to go! I don't want to go!" Lily screamed as the woman picked up the child and threw her over her shoulder.

"Every time the same thing, I am getting sick and tired of this young lady!" The woman smacked Lily in the rear end.

Older Lily looked on and wanted to scream for the woman to put the child down, but she was a spectator and could do nothing. The next image she saw was a medical office. There were parents and children sitting in chairs around an office waiting room. There were children playing with various games and puzzles on a small table in the middle of the room. They looked complex, yet the children were breezing through them. Lily and the woman were sitting in the chairs.

"Mother, can I please go play with a puzzle?" Lily asked politely.

"Certainly, you asked so nicely." The woman replied. Lily connected with the fact that younger Lily had called the woman Mother. Very formal and not with much feeling. This must be the woman who raised her as a child, though inside all she could feel was loath when she looked at her.

Young Lily approached one of the puzzles. She pulled out a chair and sat next to a skinny boy who was also playing with a puzzle.

"I almost thought you weren't coming today Lily." The boy said in a hushed tone so that only the young girl could hear him.

"I gave my mother a hard time coming. It made us late. Boy was she mad." She whispered back and smiled.

"You're going to get in trouble with Dr. Raines if you keep this up. He's mean enough without making it worse."

"What do you think they would do Bobby if we just ran away?" Lily asked still playing with her puzzle.

"Don't you remember what happened to Timmy when he tried? Those two big men carried him away and we haven't heard from him since. Do you really want to?" Bobby asked concerned.

"Just dreaming I guess. Where would we go anyway?" Lily asked and was going to add that she had read a book about a place called New York City that had a lot of museums, when the nurse came out through the doorway. "Bobby Bowman." She called.

Bobby looked at Lily as his mother led him from the table and through the doorway. Lily could see the fear in his eyes and knew exactly why it was there. She went back to mastering her puzzle and hoping that some disaster would happen to make them have to leave the building before her name was called.

But after a half an hour Bobby came through the door and Raines stopped his mother to say something in private. Lily could see Bobby was upset. Then Raines looked in Lily's direction. "Mrs. Davidson, you can bring Lily in now."

Mrs. Davidson got up from her chair and had to semi pull Lily out of hers. "See Dr. Raines. This is what I am talking about. The child is obstinate." She led Lily through the doorway and past a smiling Raines. Lily really didn't trust him when he smiled that fake smile. They entered his office.

"I believe you will be happy to know that we have started a new program where we take the children out of public school and put them in a curriculum at a place called the Centre."

Lily got alarmed. "I don't want to leave my school."

"Lily. Don't you feel outcasted in your school? You are more advanced than those students are and you will be with children your own age with the same caliber of intelligence." Raines tried to coerce her.

"I like my friends and I like my teachers. I don't want to go to any new school!" Lily yelled back.

"There is no reason to get upset. I think we are done for this session." He led Lily and her mother to the waiting room door. They let Lily proceed through the door and Raines stopped her mother and whispered something to her. Lily turned in enough time to see her mother nod to something in agreement.

Her mother then proceeded to grab her hand and lead her to their car. They drove home in silence and she went straight to her room when they got home. She didn't like the feeling she was getting that something was going to happen.

Later that night they had dinner and Lily had gone to bed after finishing her homework. She had been very polite and cooperative as to not give her mother any reason to send her to this new school. She was startled awake by a noise and opened her eyes to see two men standing over her. She tried to scream for her my mother and father, but they were standing at the doorway. They knew the men were going to take her. "NO. NO MOMMY! I don't want to go. Please." But the men grabbed her and pulled her kicking and screaming into the hallway, as her parents did nothing.

"Now." The one man said to her mother and she took a piece of cloth and held it over Lily's nose and mouth.

Lily could smell a sweet sickening odor and then everything went black. Lily went limp in the man's arms. The next thing Lily remembered was waking up in a dark van. She was laying in the back and someone was stroking her hair. She pulled herself away, trying to get her bearings and looking for an escape route.

"There's no way out. I've already tried."

Lily focused on the voice as her eyes focused on the image. "Bobby? I can't believe my parents did this. Mother helped them hold the rag over my mouth with that horrible smell." Tears started to swell in her eyes.

"Guess we didn't have a choice in going to that new school." Bobby said moving closer to Lily. He put his arm around her shoulders and could feel she was trembling. "I heard the men talking about the Centre. We'll be OK. We have each other. Nothing will separate us." The van came to a stop. The two children scrambled to the back of the van wall.

"Stay put you two." The man said as he placed another unconscious child in the van and closed the door again. In a few minutes the van started again.

Lily looked at Bobby. "Somehow I have a feeling we're not the only ones not wanting to go to the Centre."

************************

Jarod was just about to enter Lily's room when Becky came up behind him. "I guess we had the same idea." Becky said.

"We're both worried about her. I don't think it will do any harm for both of us to be in there." The guard opened the door to the room. Jarod immediately could see that Lily was in the midst of yet another dream. Both Becky and Jarod went to the bed. Becky went to shake Lily when she got images of Lily being taken from a house and put in a van. In pulling her hands back from the fear she was feeling, she accidentally put her hand on Jarod's hand.

Suddenly she found herself connected to Angelo. She could see him at his computer.

He looked up and it was like he could see her. "Sister?" Angelo asked confused. He could see the woman with curly blonde hair that was with Jarod the night he went away. "With the angels." The image shook her head yes. "Need Jarod's help........"

Jarod pulled his hand away from Becky, which broke the connection. "Becky, what happened?"

"I saw Angelo. I think he has been trying to get in touch with you. There's something wrong, terribly wrong."

Jarod looked at his sister. How was he going to help both?

************************

Fate runs lives. Truth opens doors. Trust is revealed. Hope is in question.
Connections by ScifiColleen
Fate runs lives. Truth opens doors. Trust is revealed. Hope is in question.

************************

Angels Hope
Connections



"We're both worried about her. I don't think it will do any harm for both of us to be in there." The guard opened the door to the room. Jarod immediately could see that Lily was in the midst of yet another dream. Both Becky and Jarod went to the bed. Becky went to shake Lily when she got images of Lily being taken from a house and put in a van. In pulling her hands back from the fear she was feeling, she accidentally put her hand on Jarod's hand.

Suddenly she found herself connected to Angelo. She could see him at his computer.

He looked up and it was like he could see her. "Sister?" Angelo asked confused. He could see the woman with curly blonde hair that was with Jarod the night he went away. "With the angels." The image shook her head yes. "Need Jarod's help........"

Jarod pulled his hand away from Becky, which broke the connection. "Becky, what happened?"

"I saw Angelo. I think he has been trying to get in touch with you. There's something wrong, terribly wrong."

Jarod looked at his sister. How was he going to help both? "He's probably been trying to reach me via my e-mail. But since we have been quarantined here, I haven't had access to my computer. Becky, did you get any sense of what was wrong?"

"I'm sorry Jarod. I couldn't get a clear picture of what was wrong. The images were jumbled and I wasn't familiar with what I was seeing. But I could see a young lady in a Princess costume. But I don't know what she has to do with anything. Sometimes I wish this gift came with an owner's manual." She smiled at Jarod hoping that it would ease the tension she could feel coming from him.

He smiled back. "I'm sure you do." His attention turned back to his sister. "I saw you jump back from Lily. What did you see?"

"Dark images. She was abducted. Thrown in a van. Someone she trusted betrayed her and there was a young boy. I think she was friends with him. He was protectively holding her in a dark vehicle after she was taken. Do you think we should try and wake her?" Becky asked concerned.

Jarod looked at Lily. "I don't want her to be in pain, but maybe we have to let the memories come through. Let's let her sleep. You can keep tabs on her?" Jarod asked hoping Becky would understand that he meant with her gift. Becky shook her head yes, but still had a worried look on her face. "I don't want to put you in an awkward position, but I need to get to my laptop."

"I have never out right disobeyed Joan, but I don't think we have a choice. Later, you'll go to your office and I'll meet you there with your computer. If I can pull this off, this is more of a Lily mission." Becky looked at her sister with sadness in her heart.

**************************

The next thing adult Lily could see was the children being moved into the Centre. They were taken onto an elevator that took them underground - SL 27. When the elevator doors opened, Lily saw Raines standing there. The children were moved past Raines as he instructed the men as to what rooms the children were to go into. Lily and Bobby walked side by side until the man pulled Lily towards a big steel door. "No! I don't want to go in there." She struggled to get free of the man's grip.

"Leave her alone!" Yelled Bobby as he tried to pull free from the man that had taken a hold of him. He saw the man pushing Lily into the room.

"Get her in there." Raines ordered as he approached the situation. "I want the two of them kept apart. I want no deterrents to the experiments. Put him in 27D"

Lily saw Bobby standing in the hall past the guard. Tears started to fall from her eyes as the man closed and locked the door. She started yelling and kicking the door. She could hear them take Bobby away. She slid down the door. The room she was in had modest furnishings. A bed, dresser, a table with various items on them, what looked like a screen she had seen in the movie theater and in the corners of the room - cameras. She was being watched. Lily climbed up on the bed and pulled her knees up to her chest and rocked.

************************

"Damn this place." Parker went to push the files off the desk when she heard a knock on the door to Dr. Stedman's office. "Why not. Come in." Parker said frustrated over the lack of control of her privacy she was experiencing.

Dr. Stedman opened the door and came into the room. "I heard a little turmoil in here. Is everything all right?"

"Just peachy." Parker retorted.

"I'm sensing that you are having some trouble adjusting to life here. And maybe the lack of control you are use to?" Stedman began. "The people here are use to working together and being a team. You have come to depend on and isolated yourself in life. From what I have been able to find out, you have associated mostly with Sydney and a man called Mr. Broots."

Parker looked at Stedman. "You said Sydney's name like you know him. Was he a part of your operation here?"

"No. Sydney was not part of your mother's operation, just his brother Jacob. I assume that is why the Centre eliminated Jacob." A sadness came over Stedman's voice.

Parker picked up on the tone and it clicked. "You were close to Jacob, weren't you? And I mean not on just a professional level. You two doing the horizontal mambo?"

"Melissa Catherine Parker!" Stedman's tone turned harsh. "It would do you good to remember respect for your elders. What would your mother think?!"

Parker was taken aback as if Stedman had slapped her in the face. No one had called her by her full name since her mother died. "I prefer Miss Parker."

"What. Hanging onto your father's pet name? Your mother preferred Missy, but then I guess you don't remember that. She never liked that your father made your name sound so formal. He always said that it was a family name." Stedman moved over to the picture. "She wanted such a different life for you. To have you grow up loved. To become an intelligent, independent, and well adjusted young woman. Well I guess she got part of her wish."

"What do you know of me?! You don't know me at all! I come here and you act like you have known me my whole life." Parker angrily yelled back.

Stedman whipped around to face Parker. "Ok Missy. You want a pissing contest; well then here you go. Who do you think planted the seed that got you out of the Centre and off to boarding school after your mother died? Who do you think kept your father so busy that he never had time to think about bringing you back? Who kept you safe from having done to you what they were doing to Jarod?"

Parker's eyes pierced through Stedman. "You have been monitoring me?"

"Your mother was one of the best friends I have ever had in my whole life. Your father would have destroyed you, if he hasn't already. The only thing he ever cared about more than himself was the Centre. But I wasn't the only one watching. His people were there - always. So much so that I never had a chance to save you and bring you here. I could never fulfill the promise I made to your mother."

Parker started to hear the voices in her head again. Her mother's voice was strong and angry. "She is telling me to believe you. You promised my mother that if anything happened to her, you would bring me here. And Jarod."

"It's a shame that you didn't learn to use your Inner Sense prior to the last couple of years. It could have helped you better understand what was going on around you. Yes I promised your mother, but security became too tight. I eventually had to pull most of my operatives out of there and bring them to Angel's Hope. There was no way they were going to ever let go of the two of you. After reading your mother's files I understood why." Stedman was trying to get Parker to open up just a little.

"Raines had manipulated our DNA. We were his prized specimens. But why was I allowed to leave and Jarod not?"

"According to the files in front of you, different children were set up for different experiments. You were set to go through the disintegration of emotional bonding compounded by external stimuli."

"Speak English." Parker retorted.

"Raines had a theory. That children could be made to forget their moral souls and without regret perform immoral acts. He tried various methods; drugs, electroshock therapy, sound, stimuli reinforcement. With you it was lack of affection. Not that your father had a heart for anything but the Centre."

Parker tried to digest what she was being told. She had known ever since the discovery of Kyle and Alex that Raines had an agenda of his own, but her father.. "Are you trying to tell me that my father purposely showed lack of affection to me?"

Joan thought for a moment and went over to the files. She ruffled through till she found the file marked "PARKER, M." She opened the folder. "Everything is here. I can't say for sure that your father knew what Raines was doing. But it seems that nothing happened in the Centre that the two did not know about." She thought a moment longer. "It may be Missy, I mean Miss Parker, that your father was incapable of showing affection. He hardly showed Catherine any affection at all once they were married. "

Parker thought for a moment. "That file doesn't show everything. He's not my father."

"What?" Stedman asked shocked.

"In December, when Jarod and I were on the Island of Carthis, I found out that my real father was Raines." She felt nauseous just thinking about it. "Daddy...is really my uncle."

"When she was trying to get pregnant and doing the invitrofertilization, Raines switched..?" Stedman was trying to fathom what Parker was telling her.

"Yes. Sydney and Broots discovered that my father had a very slim chance of ever siring a child."

"So you and your brother are William Raines' children? But that doesn't make any sense? How could the scrolls be right if you aren't a Parker?"

"I am still a Parker Dr. Stedman. William Raines is Robert Parker's brother."

************************

Angelo was frantically running around the room, papers flying around everywhere when Sydney walked into the room. The Sweepers had informed him that Angelo had become upset and that no one could get close enough to him to find out what was wrong."

"Angelo. What is the matter?" Sydney asked trying to get the man's attention.

Angelo stopped and sat in the middle of the floor with his knees up to his chest. "I need the angel. The angel was here."

Sydney got down to Angelo's level and kept his voice at a monotone level. "Angelo. Did someone try to contact you?" Sydney was curious as to how Angelo had seen his angel.

"Saw the angel. The angel is my sister. With Jarod."

"Angelo. Did you hear from Jarod?" Sydney was trying to keep the conversation low so that the cameras would not pick up what they were saying.

Angelo looked up at Sydney. "No. Sister can contact me here." Angelo pointed to Sydney's temple. "But now she is gone."

"Angelo, you don't have a sister. We proved that Miss Parker wasn't your sister."

"The angel is my sister. She can talk to me. I can talk to her. But now she is gone. Gone!" Angelo jumped back up and started running around again.

Sydney stood watching what Angelo was doing. Angelo took a piece of paper and started drawing something. Sydney walked over and looked at the drawing over Angelo's shoulder.

"Sister." Angelo said handing Sydney the picture.

Sydney looked at the picture. "Gemini" followed by an angel. "Angelo. Are you trying to tell me that you have a twin? An empathic twin?"

"Angel was here. She went with Jarod. Now angel is gone."

Sydney had read Lyles report. It had said that there was a group of people at the spot where Jarod and Miss Parker had been abducted. "Angelo. Can I please keep this?" Sydney folded the paper and put it discretely in his pocket. "We'll talk again soon Angelo. Let me know if you see the angel anymore. OK?"

Angelo shook his head in agreement and went back to drawing pictures of angels. Sydney exited the room and ran face to face with Mr. Raines.

"So what was getting Angelo so upset?" Raines wheezed.

"He is not making any sense. Just talking about angels." Sydney replied hoping that no one had seen him put the piece of paper in his pocket.

"You wouldn't keep anything from me now. Would you Sydney?" Raines questioned not believing what he had been told.

"Of course not. Anyway, he's calm now." Sydney kept it short and sweet.

"I think I will be keeping an eye on Angelo." Raines headed down the hallway dragging his air tank behind him.

Sydney thought to himself. "I wish I had been a better shot."

************************

Lily knew that in the subconscious of her mind that time held no control. Images jumbled past her, around her. And music, sound. At times deafening to Lily's unconscious ears. She could see herself as a growing child in that sparse room. Loud music or tones were pumped into the room. She would hold her ears and try not to listen, but the whole time the whispers came through - "You decide who lives or dies", "Kill", "Destroy". Images of people being shot, images of the destruction of cities, and other horrible visions that a child should never have to see. Lily was curled in a ball at times. Trying to keep the voices out of her head, mentally taking herself someplace where they couldn't touch her. Mumbling to herself.

Lily found herself as a bystander looking in. She was trying to read the child's lips, but on another level already knew what she was saying - "I will not fear evil."

Other times were spent working on problems and puzzles. Each one more complex than the other, her intelligence being tested. Sometimes being given situations and then being asked what the outcome would be. Raines had called them "simulations". And being hurt if the answer was not what Dr. Raines' wanted. Drugs pumped into her continually. And more voices. Electroshock.

But then there were times when she had figured out ways to get out of her room and Bobby his. They had even found Timmy. But in the end the guards would find them and they would be separated again. The last time she had seen him, a guard had come to get her. He was also being led down the hall as well as Timmy. But Timmy had changed. There was sadness in his eyes and he wasn't making full sentences. Lily positioned herself next to Bobby.

"What happened to Timmy?" Lily whispered to Bobby.

"I was being brought to my room and I saw Mrs. Parker run in the room down the hall screaming his name. The room where they do the tests. Then they shoved me in my room. I think they hurt him bad. I could hear Mrs. Parker crying his name."

"Be quiet you two." The guard boomed behind them.

Lily dropped her head and whispered, "Timmy. Are you OK?"

"No more Timmy. Angelo. Timmy gone."

Lily looked across at Bobby with questioning in her eyes and then back to Timmy. "Your name is Timmy."

"Angelo. I have to remember Angelo he said. No more Timmy."

"Bobby. They're making him forget who he is. They did something to him." Lily said knowing that they were heading for the room that Angelo was just talking about. "I want to know who I am."

"I'm not going in there." Bobby pronounced as he tried to push the guard away. The man, being caught off guard, tumbled into the other man behind Lily. The third tried to stop the first two and everyone just became a big tumbled mess. Lily and Timmy were thrown against the wall.

Timmy grabbed Lily's hand and started running with her. One of the guards tried to get up to follow, but Bobby caught him in the foot. Lily turned to go back to help. "Run!" Bobby screamed while trying to get out of the tangle himself. "Don't wait for me." He was pummeling the guards with his fist with anger that was coming deep from within his soul.

The two children looked around the hallway. There was a secure elevator that would give them no escape and the other direction would take them back to their room wing. "Where are we going to go?" Lily asked frantically looking around the hall and a way to get out of the Centre. Timmy opened one of the doors. All the room contained was paint cans and step stools. He pulled one of the stools into the hallway. "Timmy, what are you doing?"

He reached up and started pulling on the grate, which loosened and swung up. "This way." He helped Lily up into the air vent and then pulled himself up. Timmy looked up and saw Bobby running down the hallway, but somehow knew the guards weren't far behind him. Timmy pulled up the ladder and used it to jam the grate closed.

Bobby saw the grate close. He jumped up trying to grab the grate. "Timmy! Bring down the ladder!" Bobby saw the door ajar and started for another ladder when the guards surrounded him and started pushing him down. "Help me!" Bobby screamed staring into Timmy's eyes with anger.

************************

The game of friendship. Certain moves bring people closer. Other moves tear them apart. Can a damaged player survive? It's all up to Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope
Lost & Found by ScifiColleen
DICLAIMER: There's lots of stuff in this that I don't own, but unless you really are looking to sue me for intellectual theft, you just need to know that this story is a Pretender fanfic.

Author's Note: Thank you guys for your reviews. They really mean a lot to me. They also help me feel out where you think the story should go. I'm putting most of my focus on this fic while I recover from back surgery. I hope you guys can bear with me if it starts to get difficult. Now, on to the story.



The game of friendship. Certain moves bring people closer. Other moves tear them apart. Can a damaged player survive? It's all up to Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope

************************

Angels Hope
Lost & Found



Bobby saw the grate close. He jumped up trying to grab the grate. "Timmy! Bring down the ladder!" Bobby saw the door ajar and started for another ladder when the guards surrounded him and started pushing him down. "Help me!" Bobby screamed staring into Timmy's eyes with anger.

Lily went to push past Timmy to help, but Timmy put his hand over her mouth and pushed her further into the ventilation system. "Can't help him now." Timmy whispered with sadness in his eyes and Lily knew that he was right.

"Help me!" She could hear Bobby scream as tears were rolling down her face. She was filled with grief and anger. Lily and Timmy crawled further into the ventilation system.

"We have to go back and get him Timmy." Lily said curled up against the ventilation wall rocking on her heels.

"Too dangerous." Timmy replied looking into Lily's face. He ran his hand down her face. "Have to stay safe. You're special." Timmy got her calmed. A little farther down the shaft, there was a grate leading to an office. The children climbed down, standing on a desk to do so. The room was dark. The two were crossing the room, when the door opened. Both gasped as the light got turned on.

"Oh my God. There you are. I have been looking everywhere for you two. How did you get in here?" Dr. Jacob asked as he quickly closed the door. "You two have turned things into quite a mess. Are you all right?"

Both children shook their heads yes, though there was fear in their eyes and they were backing away. "We're not going back! You can't make us go back! I'd rather die first." Lily said defiantly as she put herself in front of Timmy.

"Lily it's OK. I'm here to help you." Jacob tried to approach them as to not to provoke them.

Lily eyed him suspiciously. "You were there when the Boogeyman hurt me. You were there running those simulations. You don't want to help us, you want to take us back."

"Lily. Mrs. Parker sent me to find you. We have been looking everywhere. We want to get you out of this place. But we have to act quickly. Do you remember simulation 415?"

Lily shook her head yes. "It was the one where the man escaped the enemy camp by pretending he was dead. But it was really a chemical compound that slowed his heart rate. What does that have to do with us?"

"If we can do the same thing to you, then we can move you out of the Centre." Jacob knelt down. "Dr. Raines will think that you are dead and then we can take you someplace that is so wonderful you'll never want to leave. A special place."

"I don't believe you. You just want us to trust you and then you'll take us back to our rooms. Or worse, to the room where they hurt Timmy." Lily was not going to back down.

"We're trying to keep you out of there. If Raines catches you right now, you are going to be brought straight to that room Lily. I am offering you freedom." He tried to look into her eyes so she could see his sincerity. But what he saw in hers was cold fear. She had been hurt far too long for her to trust anyone, let alone himself. There was only one person she was going to trust. He got back up to his feet and proceeded to the door. The children ran to the back of the room waiting for him to call a guard, but instead he beckoned someone in a very low tone. In through the door came Catherine Parker.

"You found them. Thank the Heavens. Oh children I was so worried about you." She went over to them. "Are you all right?" She checked over them to make sure that they were physically all right. She turned back towards Jacob. "We have to get them out of here. If Dr. Raines finds her, I won't be able to stop him."

"I know Catherine, but they won't let me near them." Jacob tried explaining. "I've told Lily what our plan was, but she doesn't believe me."

Catherine turned back to the children. "Would you believe me? I just want to get you out of here and somewhere where no one will be able to harm you ever again."

Angelo went over and hugged Catherine's waist. "I believe you. You love us."

Catherine could see the guard come down a little from Lily. "All right. The first thing we need to do is get the two of you out of here."

*************************

"William Raines is Robert Parker's brother. The only sibling I knew about was Elizabeth. How could Raines be your father's brother?" Joan questioned.

"When Raines was born, he was sickly. My grandfather arranged for a death certificate to be made and then put him up for adoption. I'm not sure how they got together or for how long Daddy knew that he had a brother." Parker explained sorrowfully. Even with all his flaws, she still wished that Robert Parker were her real father.

"That would explain a lot. And if my calculations are correct Miss Parker, then their alliance has been for a very long time. As far back as I can remember Raines and Parker have been together at the Centre. I know that Raines was brought on board when your grandfather died."

"Just happened that my grandfather died as Raines was brought on board. Not." Parker turned her head to the left trying to conceal her disgust with what she concluded. "Nothing happens by coincidence at the Centre."

"I guess then what you have to decide is whether your loyalty to the Centre outweighs your duty to help change the wrongs that have been done over the years. Including your mother's death." Joan was putting the ultimatum in front of her. "I know that you agreed with Jarod to stay here so that we wouldn't erase your memory and that Jarod was already plotting how to get himself out of here until everything happened with Lily."

"Are we that transparent?" Parker asked flippantly.

"It's what I would be doing if the situation was reversed. I was hoping that if I could keep you here long enough, then you would learn what your mother was trying to achieve. Then you'd want to stay for yourself, not because we made you." Joan had sincerity in her eyes. "Your mother wanted this to be her legacy to you."

"You wanted me to stay? I would have thought that Jarod would have been your best catch. Being the genius and all."

"But you are as much his equal and you were meant to be here. If Jarod had been brought here as a child, he would have been returned back to his parents. Now they could have stayed if they needed sanctuary or if his parents had wanted to join our research group. But you were meant to grow up here with your mother. That was always her plan. And when the time came, the work here was meant to be handed over to you."

Parker got up and looked at her mother's picture. "She would have put me in direct opposition to my father."

Joan came to stand next to her. "Remember she had the information from your great grandfather. She knew what he believed from the scrolls. I know she had researched the religious aspects of the Sepastian monks and was very disturbed at what she found. The group that your great grandfather associated with she suspected dealt with the occult. Being very religious, she didn't want you to be exposed to any of what might have been handed down to your father."

"She believed in what the scrolls said?" Parker asked confused that her mother, being an intelligent woman, believed in the scrolls.

"I'm not so sure that she believed in what they said, but what your father believed. He believed they would bring him greater power. And I believe that he saw that this power could be attained through you and Jarod." Joan looked into Parker's saddened eyes. She turned and retrieved the file from the desk. "Read the notes and files. It will bring you closer to her." Joan turned and started for the door to her office. "And if you want anyone to talk to, I'm just a door away." Joan went into her office.

Parker opened the file. She started to read aloud. "Parker, Melissa Catherine. Sex: Female Parents: Catherine and Robert Parker, Jr. Yeah right." She slammed the file on her leg. She thought for a moment and reopened the file. "Project name: Prodigy" Parker saw that her mother had hand written a note to the side. "Prodigy - information found. Project is the creation of Pretenders/Super Assassins."

**************************

Becky approached the Equipment Storage Room clutching her shoulder bag. People were walking up and down the hall and she said hello and made pleasant talk. She looked both ways up and down the corridor and pulled the key contraption that Lily had made out of her bag. Becky had gotten the second device from where Lily said she had hidden it. She slid the key into the slide slot. Lily had told her while they were walking that she had made two of the key machines in case one had ever been found. She typed in Joan's name and waited for the machine to click open the lock. In what seemed like years, as her heart was racing, the door buzzed open. "Sssssh." She told the door as she turned the knob and opened the door to slip in. She was sure security was going to get her any minute. She went over to the shelves and started looking for a box marked with Jarod's name. She knew that they had located his hotel room and had confiscated his belongings. She found the boxes and pulled one to the floor. She opened the box and started looking through it. It was mostly the clothing that he had been brought in with. She held up the leather pants - "Ooh he must look good in these." She shook her head - "Stop that. Get back to business." She ruffled through to the bottom of the box and found Jarod's laptop. She opened her bag and slid the computer into it. She straightened the box and put it back on the shelf. She picked up the bag and put it over her shoulder. She went to the door, opened it, and peeked out.

"Coast clear. I feel like Jane Bond." She walked down the hall and went to the elevator. She got off and proceeded to her room. Once inside, she laid on the bed in relief. Her first covert operation was a success. There was a knock on the door and Becky held her breath. They had decided to meet in her room rather than one of the offices. She put the bag under her bed and went to answer the door. Jarod was standing there with his guard.

"Jarod. Hi. What a surprise." Becky said over acting the scene.

Jarod looked at her. "I came to discuss next week's assignments."

"Sure. Come on in." Becky pulled Jarod into the room, smiled at Fred, and closed the door. "I think I'm going to have a heart attack. But now I understand what Lily likes about it. It's a definite adrenaline rush." She knelt next to the bed and got the bag that held Jarod's laptop. She pulled it out and handed it to him. "We can unplug my computer over here." Becky pushed a button and the bookcase moved apart and a computer station was revealed.

"Unique." Jarod found the connection and plugged in his laptop. He started accessing his e-mail account. There were various messages. A few from Carlyle which made Jarod roll his eyes. For the first time he was glad to be at Angel's Hope and nowhere near that man. Then he spotted the e-mail from Angelo. "Must stop Gemini Succession Project." Another read, "A Princess in trouble." Jarod looked at the screen. "Gemini Succession Project? I don't understand Angelo. Who's in trouble?"

Becky decided to try something. She touched the computer screen and Jarod's arm. She could see what Angelo saw when he typed the e-mail. "He sees a young woman. Brown hair. Close to Miss Parker. Deb....Deb..Deboots? That doesn't make any sense."

"It makes sense to me. Debbie Broots. Debbie's in trouble from the Centre." Jarod was just about to e-mail back, when the door opened.

Both Jarod and Becky turned to see Joan standing in the doorway. "I thought I could trust at least you Becky." Becky lowered her head. "Why would you directly disobey me? And you used my code to break into the Equipment Storage Room. Hand the key card machine over."

Becky went to the bag and pulled out Lily's invention. She walked over and handed it to Joan. "I received a link from Angelo. There is trouble at the Centre for a young lady that Jarod and Miss Parker know. I couldn't just sit and do nothing."

Joan looked sternly at her. "You could have asked me if you could access whatever Jarod was looking in to."

"It's my secure e-mail account Dr. Stedman. No one would be able to trace it back to here. There is a man that works at the Centre named Broots. The Centre must be targeting his daughter. Miss Parker and I found his name as one of the children that the Centre manipulated. I asked Becky to get my computer because if something was wrong, Angelo would e-mail me."

"Becky. You can connect with Angelo? Does he know who you are?" Joan's face had turned from anger to worry.

"I'm not sure if he understands. Jarod says that his gift isn't as developed as mine is. That he gets more imagery and feelings. But I do believe that he now knows that I am his sister."

"Then we have trouble. If Angelo knows that you exist, then how long will it take before Raines finds out." Joan turned to the guards behind her. "Go to code level red. I want the sub levels secured. Alert Security Captain Moore that Silence has been breached. I want our Centre agents to keep their eyes open for any mobilization."

"Dr. Stedman. Angelo would never reveal Becky to Raines." Jarod tried to calm her.

"Would he tell Sydney?" Joan said as she turned to face Jarod. "I'm sure that Sydney at this point has been trying to locate you using Angelo. And if Angelo tells Sydney, then there is a possibility that Raines and Lyle will find out."

"I'm sure that Sydney is taking every precaution to isolate his conversations with Angelo. He wouldn't want Mr. Raines finding me before he did." Jarod had confidence in Sydney's ability to work around Raines' system of moles.

"I've already spoken to Sydney when you and Miss Parker arrived. Though he knows nothing of Angel's Hope, he knows that you are in my custody." Joan's mind was moving a mile a minute trying to think of things that she was going to have to do.

"You've spoken to Sydney?" Jarod was shocked that Dr. Stedman would break her security to call him, but realized that the situation warranted his opinion. He had been the leading force the majority of Jarod's life and for the last six years of Parker's.

Joan motioned for one of the guards to take Jarod's computer.

"You can't take that! You don't understand. I can't let anything happen to Debbie Broots. Her father is a good man and if anything happened to her...." Jarod pleaded.

"Stop right there Jarod. Yes, I've spoken to Sydney. I wanted his opinion on how to handle Miss Parker among other things. Second. I understand you're concern for this Debbie Broots, but I have to think about the security of this facility. I will have my people monitor for anything they can about her, but I can't allow e-mails to leave this facility. Especially if they are going to the Centre."

The guard had disconnected the computer and took it from the room. Jarod went to approach him, but the other two guards made themselves known. Jarod backed off.

Joan faced Becky. "Becky. You and I will have a discussion later. Right now I have to get to my office. And your privileges have been revoked." She went to exit through the door and turned back around. "Frank will be here now to escort you wherever you go. Also, the key lock will be installed by the end of the day." Joan turned and left the room. Frank closed the door.

"I'm sorry I got you in trouble Becky." Jarod said as he reconnected Becky's original computer connection.

"I knew what I was getting into when I volunteered. I guess I'm not as 007 as I thought. I just wish I were unconscious like Lily. I'm not sure I want to have that conversation later with Joan." Becky went, sat on her bed, and let herself fall backwards.

"I have to figure out a way to find out what Angelo knows about Debbie Broots. But for now, I guess I'll go check back on Lily. Again, I'm sorry I got you in trouble with Dr. Stedman."

"I was in trouble the minute Lily and I left Angel's Hope. So much for my life of adventure. Maybe I should stick with music." Jarod laughed and left to go see Lily.

*************************

Lily was tossing and turning in her bed as the dream continued.

Young Lily looked up at Catherine Parker. "I will do what you ask, but we have to go back and get Bobby. They caught him in the corridor before he could come with us. We need to go get him first." Lily saw the troubled look on Jacob and Catherine's faces. "What happened to Bobby?"

Catherine looked at Jacob and Jacob nodded a yes response to Catherine. She knelt down to Lily's level. "I want you to trust me, so I am going to tell you the truth. I'm so sorry Lily. I know that you and Bobby have formed a friendship. But when the three of you escaped, Dr. Raines got very upset. He had Bobby moved immediately to another facility. We have no way of getting to him now."

Lily became upset. "We have to find him. Look what they did to Timmy. They are going to do something to him. They were going to try to do it to me too. I have got to find Bobby!" Lily pushed past Catherine, but Jacob caught her.

Jacob grabbed her in a bear hug as she thrashed to get loose. "Lily you have to calm down. Take deep breaths. I know that right now you feel a lot of anger surging through you. Dr. Raines put a device in you that is motivating you to feel that way. If you don't calm down, then Dr. Raines' men are going to find us. Now breathe." Lily remembered the surgery. She started taking deep breaths and Jacob could feel her relax a little. "Good. Catherine, is Manning in place for the exchange?"

"I had him on standby. I'll inform Gary that we have to act quickly. Can you explain to the children what we are doing?"

Jacob motioned yes to Catherine and she quietly slipped out of the room. "Ok children this is what we are going to do......"

And then there was a change in scenery. Lily was looking at a hallway in the Centre. She could see herself and Timmy walking down the hall. They were very nervous. Jacob was standing with a tall man that had a gun further up the hall. The man was aiming the gun, when Raines appeared to Timmy's right. He grabbed the boy. Timmy was pulling to try and get free, but Raines tightened his grasp on him. Jacob was yelling at Raines as he started running up the hall, but motioning to Lily to run. Lily started to run and the man with the gun fired at her, hitting her in the center of the back. Lily went flying to the floor, as Raines screamed no. Jacob passed Raines and Timmy and went to Lily.

"You've killed her." He yelled at Raines. He lifted her motionless body. "I'm taking her to the Infirmary."

Raines tried to get to her, but Timmy started squirming and got loose enough to kick Raines in the shin. After screaming obscenities, he handed Timmy off to one of the guards. He looked up to realize that Jacob had already taken Lily's body.

Next Lily watched as Jacob carried the small girl into the Infirmary. Catherine Parker was waiting there. "What happened? Where is Timmy?" Catherine Parker asked as she could see a half conscious Lily.

"Raines came out of nowhere. Grabbed Timmy. But he is right at my heels; will the drug work fast enough for simulated death? She was still semi- conscious when I grabbed her." He laid Lily on the table.

Another man in doctor's clothing came up next to them. He took out a stethoscope and listened to Lily's chest as she could feel herself what the child was feeling. Panic as her heart beat slowed. "It's starting to take effect now." She could see to her side another little girl lying on another table. And that was the last thing she remembered.

Adult Lily was standing in the darkness of her nightmare. In her mind she could hear herself screaming. "What did you do to me?! Why didn't you save us all! Why am I here and they're not! Why did you do this to me?" It was the child trapped in a drug that simulated death, but left her mind fully working. She had heard the doctor's explanation to Raines as to the cause of her death. The sheet pulled over her head.

Jacob secretly taking her body out of the Centre and being transported to a house where the drug wore off. The child so scared when the drug wore off and driven by the chip, that she lashed at everyone around her. Fighting for what she thought was her life. Hearing their decision to erase all the memories that had been the Centre to make her more manageable and to give her peace of mind. To take away all the darkness that Raines had forced into her. So through drug therapy, surgery, and hypnosis the memories were hidden and new ones put into place.

And in her mind, Lily came face to face with the child. The child full of anger, rage, fright; who had been taken by Raines and thrown into a world of darkness. Taught to hate, to fight, and to destroy. Lily could feel her heart break. She now knew that this darkness was inside herself, had always been. Personality traits that had been created by Raines so long ago, but buried in her subconscious. Lily walked over to the little girl and embraced her.

Lily opened her eyes. The room was in shadows except for a small light on her mirrored dresser. No one was in the room as she scanned around. She looked up at the IV line running into her arm and reached over and pulled the needle from its resting place. Lily carefully sat up, her head swirling a little, and swung her feet to the floor. She pushed herself up off the bed and steadied herself. She walked over to the mirror and looked at her reflection.

"I decide who lives or dies."

************************

A past becomes present. The present becomes cloudy. The future has infinite possibilities. Thus goes the game of life. The game of friendship. Certain moves bring people closer. Other moves tear them apart. Can a damaged player survive? It's all up to Fate, Truth, Trust, and Hope

************************

Bobby saw the grate close. He jumped up trying to grab the grate. "Timmy! Bring down the ladder!" Bobby saw the door ajar and started for another ladder when the guards surrounded him and started pushing him down. "Help me!" Bobby screamed staring into Timmy's eyes with anger.

Lily went to push past Timmy to help, but Timmy put his hand over her mouth and pushed her further into the ventilation system. "Can't help him now." Timmy whispered with sadness in his eyes and Lily knew that he was right.

"Help me!" She could hear Bobby scream as tears were rolling down her face. She was filled with grief and anger. Lily and Timmy crawled further into the ventilation system.

"We have to go back and get him Timmy." Lily said curled up against the ventilation wall rocking on her heels.

"Too dangerous." Timmy replied looking into Lily's face. He ran his hand down her face. "Have to stay safe. You're special." Timmy got her calmed. A little farther down the shaft, there was a grate leading to an office. The children climbed down, standing on a desk to do so. The room was dark. The two were crossing the room, when the door opened. Both gasped as the light got turned on.

"Oh my God. There you are. I have been looking everywhere for you two. How did you get in here?" Dr. Jacob asked as he quickly closed the door. "You two have turned things into quite a mess. Are you all right?"

Both children shook their heads yes, though there was fear in their eyes and they were backing away. "We're not going back! You can't make us go back! I'd rather die first." Lily said defiantly as she put herself in front of Timmy.

"Lily it's OK. I'm here to help you." Jacob tried to approach them as to not to provoke them.

Lily eyed him suspiciously. "You were there when the Boogeyman hurt me. You were there running those simulations. You don't want to help us, you want to take us back."

"Lily. Mrs. Parker sent me to find you. We have been looking everywhere. We want to get you out of this place. But we have to act quickly. Do you remember simulation 415?"

Lily shook her head yes. "It was the one where the man escaped the enemy camp by pretending he was dead. But it was really a chemical compound that slowed his heart rate. What does that have to do with us?"

"If we can do the same thing to you, then we can move you out of the Centre." Jacob knelt down. "Dr. Raines will think that you are dead and then we can take you someplace that is so wonderful you'll never want to leave. A special place."

"I don't believe you. You just want us to trust you and then you'll take us back to our rooms. Or worse, to the room where they hurt Timmy." Lily was not going to back down.

"We're trying to keep you out of there. If Raines catches you right now, you are going to be brought straight to that room Lily. I am offering you freedom." He tried to look into her eyes so she could see his sincerity. But what he saw in hers was cold fear. She had been hurt far too long for her to trust anyone, let alone himself. There was only one person she was going to trust. He got back up to his feet and proceeded to the door. The children ran to the back of the room waiting for him to call a guard, but instead he beckoned someone in a very low tone. In through the door came Catherine Parker.

"You found them. Thank the Heavens. Oh children I was so worried about you." She went over to them. "Are you all right?" She checked over them to make sure that they were physically all right. She turned back towards Jacob. "We have to get them out of here. If Dr. Raines finds her, I won't be able to stop him."

"I know Catherine, but they won't let me near them." Jacob tried explaining. "I've told Lily what our plan was, but she doesn't believe me."

Catherine turned back to the children. "Would you believe me? I just want to get you out of here and somewhere where no one will be able to harm you ever again."

Angelo went over and hugged Catherine's waist. "I believe you. You love us."

Catherine could see the guard come down a little from Lily. "All right. The first thing we need to do is get the two of you out of here."

*************************

"William Raines is Robert Parker's brother. The only sibling I knew about was Elizabeth. How could Raines be your father's brother?" Joan questioned.

"When Raines was born, he was sickly. My grandfather arranged for a death certificate to be made and then put him up for adoption. I'm not sure how they got together or for how long Daddy knew that he had a brother." Parker explained sorrowfully. Even with all his flaws, she still wished that Robert Parker were her real father.

"That would explain a lot. And if my calculations are correct Miss Parker, then their alliance has been for a very long time. As far back as I can remember Raines and Parker have been together at the Centre. I know that Raines was brought on board when your grandfather died."

"Just happened that my grandfather died as Raines was brought on board. Not." Parker turned her head to the left trying to conceal her disgust with what she concluded. "Nothing happens by coincidence at the Centre."

"I guess then what you have to decide is whether your loyalty to the Centre outweighs your duty to help change the wrongs that have been done over the years. Including your mother's death." Joan was putting the ultimatum in front of her. "I know that you agreed with Jarod to stay here so that we wouldn't erase your memory and that Jarod was already plotting how to get himself out of here until everything happened with Lily."

"Are we that transparent?" Parker asked flippantly.

"It's what I would be doing if the situation was reversed. I was hoping that if I could keep you here long enough, then you would learn what your mother was trying to achieve. Then you'd want to stay for yourself, not because we made you." Joan had sincerity in her eyes. "Your mother wanted this to be her legacy to you."

"You wanted me to stay? I would have thought that Jarod would have been your best catch. Being the genius and all."

"But you are as much his equal and you were meant to be here. If Jarod had been brought here as a child, he would have been returned back to his parents. Now they could have stayed if they needed sanctuary or if his parents had wanted to join our research group. But you were meant to grow up here with your mother. That was always her plan. And when the time came, the work here was meant to be handed over to you."

Parker got up and looked at her mother's picture. "She would have put me in direct opposition to my father."

Joan came to stand next to her. "Remember she had the information from your great grandfather. She knew what he believed from the scrolls. I know she had researched the religious aspects of the Sepastian monks and was very disturbed at what she found. The group that your great grandfather associated with she suspected dealt with the occult. Being very religious, she didn't want you to be exposed to any of what might have been handed down to your father."

"She believed in what the scrolls said?" Parker asked confused that her mother, being an intelligent woman, believed in the scrolls.

"I'm not so sure that she believed in what they said, but what your father believed. He believed they would bring him greater power. And I believe that he saw that this power could be attained through you and Jarod." Joan looked into Parker's saddened eyes. She turned and retrieved the file from the desk. "Read the notes and files. It will bring you closer to her." Joan turned and started for the door to her office. "And if you want anyone to talk to, I'm just a door away." Joan went into her office.

Parker opened the file. She started to read aloud. "Parker, Melissa Catherine. Sex: Female Parents: Catherine and Robert Parker, Jr. Yeah right." She slammed the file on her leg. She thought for a moment and reopened the file. "Project name: Prodigy" Parker saw that her mother had hand written a note to the side. "Prodigy - information found. Project is the creation of Pretenders/Super Assassins."

**************************

Becky approached the Equipment Storage Room clutching her shoulder bag. People were walking up and down the hall and she said hello and made pleasant talk. She looked both ways up and down the corridor and pulled the key contraption that Lily had made out of her bag. Becky had gotten the second device from where Lily said she had hidden it. She slid the key into the slide slot. Lily had told her while they were walking that she had made two of the key machines in case one had ever been found. She typed in Joan's name and waited for the machine to click open the lock. In what seemed like years, as her heart was racing, the door buzzed open. "Sssssh." She told the door as she turned the knob and opened the door to slip in. She was sure security was going to get her any minute. She went over to the shelves and started looking for a box marked with Jarod's name. She knew that they had located his hotel room and had confiscated his belongings. She found the boxes and pulled one to the floor. She opened the box and started looking through it. It was mostly the clothing that he had been brought in with. She held up the leather pants - "Ooh he must look good in these." She shook her head - "Stop that. Get back to business." She ruffled through to the bottom of the box and found Jarod's laptop. She opened her bag and slid the computer into it. She straightened the box and put it back on the shelf. She picked up the bag and put it over her shoulder. She went to the door, opened it, and peeked out.

"Coast clear. I feel like Jane Bond." She walked down the hall and went to the elevator. She got off and proceeded to her room. Once inside, she laid on the bed in relief. Her first covert operation was a success. There was a knock on the door and Becky held her breath. They had decided to meet in her room rather than one of the offices. She put the bag under her bed and went to answer the door. Jarod was standing there with his guard.

"Jarod. Hi. What a surprise." Becky said over acting the scene.

Jarod looked at her. "I came to discuss next week's assignments."

"Sure. Come on in." Becky pulled Jarod into the room, smiled at Fred, and closed the door. "I think I'm going to have a heart attack. But now I understand what Lily likes about it. It's a definite adrenaline rush." She knelt next to the bed and got the bag that held Jarod's laptop. She pulled it out and handed it to him. "We can unplug my computer over here." Becky pushed a button and the bookcase moved apart and a computer station was revealed.

"Unique." Jarod found the connection and plugged in his laptop. He started accessing his e-mail account. There were various messages. A few from Carlyle which made Jarod roll his eyes. For the first time he was glad to be at Angel's Hope and nowhere near that man. Then he spotted the e-mail from Angelo. "Must stop Gemini Succession Project." Another read, "A Princess in trouble." Jarod looked at the screen. "Gemini Succession Project? I don't understand Angelo. Who's in trouble?"

Becky decided to try something. She touched the computer screen and Jarod's arm. She could see what Angelo saw when he typed the e-mail. "He sees a young woman. Brown hair. Close to Miss Parker. Deb....Deb..Deboots? That doesn't make any sense."

"It makes sense to me. Debbie Broots. Debbie's in trouble from the Centre." Jarod was just about to e-mail back, when the door opened.

Both Jarod and Becky turned to see Joan standing in the doorway. "I thought I could trust at least you Becky." Becky lowered her head. "Why would you directly disobey me? And you used my code to break into the Equipment Storage Room. Hand the key card machine over."

Becky went to the bag and pulled out Lily's invention. She walked over and handed it to Joan. "I received a link from Angelo. There is trouble at the Centre for a young lady that Jarod and Miss Parker know. I couldn't just sit and do nothing."

Joan looked sternly at her. "You could have asked me if you could access whatever Jarod was looking in to."

"It's my secure e-mail account Dr. Stedman. No one would be able to trace it back to here. There is a man that works at the Centre named Broots. The Centre must be targeting his daughter. Miss Parker and I found his name as one of the children that the Centre manipulated. I asked Becky to get my computer because if something was wrong, Angelo would e-mail me."

"Becky. You can connect with Angelo? Does he know who you are?" Joan's face had turned from anger to worry.

"I'm not sure if he understands. Jarod says that his gift isn't as developed as mine is. That he gets more imagery and feelings. But I do believe that he now knows that I am his sister."

"Then we have trouble. If Angelo knows that you exist, then how long will it take before Raines finds out." Joan turned to the guards behind her. "Go to code level red. I want the sub levels secured. Alert Security Captain Moore that Silence has been breached. I want our Centre agents to keep their eyes open for any mobilization."

"Dr. Stedman. Angelo would never reveal Becky to Raines." Jarod tried to calm her.

"Would he tell Sydney?" Joan said as she turned to face Jarod. "I'm sure that Sydney at this point has been trying to locate you using Angelo. And if Angelo tells Sydney, then there is a possibility that Raines and Lyle will find out."

"I'm sure that Sydney is taking every precaution to isolate his conversations with Angelo. He wouldn't want Mr. Raines finding me before he did." Jarod had confidence in Sydney's ability to work around Raines' system of moles.

"I've already spoken to Sydney when you and Miss Parker arrived. Though he knows nothing of Angel's Hope, he knows that you are in my custody." Joan's mind was moving a mile a minute trying to think of things that she was going to have to do.

"You've spoken to Sydney?" Jarod was shocked that Dr. Stedman would break her security to call him, but realized that the situation warranted his opinion. He had been the leading force the majority of Jarod's life and for the last six years of Parker's.

Joan motioned for one of the guards to take Jarod's computer.

"You can't take that! You don't understand. I can't let anything happen to Debbie Broots. Her father is a good man and if anything happened to her...." Jarod pleaded.

"Stop right there Jarod. Yes, I've spoken to Sydney. I wanted his opinion on how to handle Miss Parker among other things. Second. I understand you're concern for this Debbie Broots, but I have to think about the security of this facility. I will have my people monitor for anything they can about her, but I can't allow e-mails to leave this facility. Especially if they are going to the Centre."

The guard had disconnected the computer and took it from the room. Jarod went to approach him, but the other two guards made themselves known. Jarod backed off.

Joan faced Becky. "Becky. You and I will have a discussion later. Right now I have to get to my office. And your privileges have been revoked." She went to exit through the door and turned back around. "Frank will be here now to escort you wherever you go. Also, the key lock will be installed by the end of the day." Joan turned and left the room. Frank closed the door.

"I'm sorry I got you in trouble Becky." Jarod said as he reconnected Becky's original computer connection.

"I knew what I was getting into when I volunteered. I guess I'm not as 007 as I thought. I just wish I were unconscious like Lily. I'm not sure I want to have that conversation later with Joan." Becky went, sat on her bed, and let herself fall backwards.

"I have to figure out a way to find out what Angelo knows about Debbie Broots. But for now, I guess I'll go check back on Lily. Again, I'm sorry I got you in trouble with Dr. Stedman."

"I was in trouble the minute Lily and I left Angel's Hope. So much for my life of adventure. Maybe I should stick with music." Jarod laughed and left to go see Lily.

*************************

Lily was tossing and turning in her bed as the dream continued.

Young Lily looked up at Catherine Parker. "I will do what you ask, but we have to go back and get Bobby. They caught him in the corridor before he could come with us. We need to go get him first." Lily saw the troubled look on Jacob and Catherine's faces. "What happened to Bobby?"

Catherine looked at Jacob and Jacob nodded a yes response to Catherine. She knelt down to Lily's level. "I want you to trust me, so I am going to tell you the truth. I'm so sorry Lily. I know that you and Bobby have formed a friendship. But when the three of you escaped, Dr. Raines got very upset. He had Bobby moved immediately to another facility. We have no way of getting to him now."

Lily became upset. "We have to find him. Look what they did to Timmy. They are going to do something to him. They were going to try to do it to me too. I have got to find Bobby!" Lily pushed past Catherine, but Jacob caught her.

Jacob grabbed her in a bear hug as she thrashed to get loose. "Lily you have to calm down. Take deep breaths. I know that right now you feel a lot of anger surging through you. Dr. Raines put a device in you that is motivating you to feel that way. If you don't calm down, then Dr. Raines' men are going to find us. Now breathe." Lily remembered the surgery. She started taking deep breaths and Jacob could feel her relax a little. "Good. Catherine, is Manning in place for the exchange?"

"I had him on standby. I'll inform Gary that we have to act quickly. Can you explain to the children what we are doing?"

Jacob motioned yes to Catherine and she quietly slipped out of the room. "Ok children this is what we are going to do......"

And then there was a change in scenery. Lily was looking at a hallway in the Centre. She could see herself and Timmy walking down the hall. They were very nervous. Jacob was standing with a tall man that had a gun further up the hall. The man was aiming the gun, when Raines appeared to Timmy's right. He grabbed the boy. Timmy was pulling to try and get free, but Raines tightened his grasp on him. Jacob was yelling at Raines as he started running up the hall, but motioning to Lily to run. Lily started to run and the man with the gun fired at her, hitting her in the center of the back. Lily went flying to the floor, as Raines screamed no. Jacob passed Raines and Timmy and went to Lily.

"You've killed her." He yelled at Raines. He lifted her motionless body. "I'm taking her to the Infirmary."

Raines tried to get to her, but Timmy started squirming and got loose enough to kick Raines in the shin. After screaming obscenities, he handed Timmy off to one of the guards. He looked up to realize that Jacob had already taken Lily's body.

Next Lily watched as Jacob carried the small girl into the Infirmary. Catherine Parker was waiting there. "What happened? Where is Timmy?" Catherine Parker asked as she could see a half conscious Lily.

"Raines came out of nowhere. Grabbed Timmy. But he is right at my heels; will the drug work fast enough for simulated death? She was still semi- conscious when I grabbed her." He laid Lily on the table.

Another man in doctor's clothing came up next to them. He took out a stethoscope and listened to Lily's chest as she could feel herself what the child was feeling. Panic as her heart beat slowed. "It's starting to take effect now." She could see to her side another little girl lying on another table. And that was the last thing she remembered.

Adult Lily was standing in the darkness of her nightmare. In her mind she could hear herself screaming. "What did you do to me?! Why didn't you save us all! Why am I here and they're not! Why did you do this to me?" It was the child trapped in a drug that simulated death, but left her mind fully working. She had heard the doctor's explanation to Raines as to the cause of her death. The sheet pulled over her head.

Jacob secretly taking her body out of the Centre and being transported to a house where the drug wore off. The child so scared when the drug wore off and driven by the chip, that she lashed at everyone around her. Fighting for what she thought was her life. Hearing their decision to erase all the memories that had been the Centre to make her more manageable and to give her peace of mind. To take away all the darkness that Raines had forced into her. So through drug therapy, surgery, and hypnosis the memories were hidden and new ones put into place.

And in her mind, Lily came face to face with the child. The child full of anger, rage, fright; who had been taken by Raines and thrown into a world of darkness. Taught to hate, to fight, and to destroy. Lily could feel her heart break. She now knew that this darkness was inside herself, had always been. Personality traits that had been created by Raines so long ago, but buried in her subconscious. Lily walked over to the little girl and embraced her.

Lily opened her eyes. The room was in shadows except for a small light on her mirrored dresser. No one was in the room as she scanned around. She looked up at the IV line running into her arm and reached over and pulled the needle from its resting place. Lily carefully sat up, her head swirling a little, and swung her feet to the floor. She pushed herself up off the bed and steadied herself. She walked over to the mirror and looked at her reflection.

"I decide who lives or dies."

************************

A past becomes present. The present becomes cloudy. The future has infinite possibilities. Thus goes the game of life.
Resurgence by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or diseased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.


A past becomes present.

The present becomes cloudy.

The future has infinite possibilities.

Thus goes the game of life.


************************

Angels Hope
Resurgence



And in her mind, Lily came face to face with the child. The child full of anger, rage, fright; who had been taken by Raines and thrown into a world of darkness. Taught to hate, to fight, and to destroy. Lily could feel her heart break. She now knew that this darkness was inside herself, had always been. Personality traits that had been created by Raines so long ago, but buried in her subconscious. Lily walked over to the little girl and embraced her.

Lily opened her eyes. The room was in shadows except for a small light on her mirrored dresser. No one was in the room as she scanned around. She looked up at the IV line running into her arm and reached over and pulled the needle from its resting place. Lily carefully sat up, her head swirling a little, and swung her feet to the floor. She pushed herself up off the bed and steadied herself. She walked over to the mirror and looked at her reflection.

“I decide who lives or dies.” Lily turned to the stereo sitting next to the dresser and looked through the CD’s. She picked one out and placed it in the CD player. Rock music came on as she pushed the play button and she made the volume louder.

The door opened to the room and the nurse entered. Lily turned and was looking at the woman sternly. “Miss Lily. What are you doing out of bed? And you have removed your IV line. Let’s get you back into bed and we’ll get that line back in.” The nurse had been moving closer to Lily.

Lily, seeing her movement, countered by moving to the bed and rolling over the bed and landing on her feet. She steadied herself with the bed. “I’m not going back on it. No one is sticking me with any more needles. Get out of here.”

The door buzzed again and an orderly came in. “Do you need help Claudia?”

“Bruce, Miss Lily has decided that she doesn’t want to have the intravenous anymore and I was trying to convince her that it would be in her best interest to…”

“Yes she does Bruce. I think you better take her to see Dr. Stedman.” She glared at them both as they whispered to each other. “Stop talking about me like I am a mental patient. I’m getting out of here.” Lily started moving quickly for the door, but was blocked by Bruce. “You really don’t want to do that.”

The door buzzed and Mark came in. “Honey, you’re awake. Are we having a problem Claudia?”

Lily rolled her eyes. “Will everyone stop talking like I’m a damn five year old. I’m fine. I woke up, I didn’t want that stupid IV in so I took it out, and now I would like to leave my room. IS there a problem with that?” She tried to get past Mark, but Bruce backed him up. Lily threw her hands up in the air. “Am I a prisoner now? I can’t even leave my room.”

Mark still spoke in a monotone voice. “Lily, honey, we are just trying to do what is best for you. You just had surgery and need to rest. And I would like to know what is aggravating you?” Claudia had moved to the phone and was speaking in hushed tones.

“Who is she calling? I want all of you to leave me alone. And I want the cameras out of here. I don’t want to be watched or recorded anymore. Why do you have to have my every movement documented? I am not an animal. I decide what I do and don’t do. And right now I am not going back into that bed. Or back on that IV. I have had enough drugs pumped into me and I’m not taking any more.” Lily’s voice was rising as she made her points.

There was a knock on the door and a buzz for the door to open. Jarod came in smiling until he saw everyone’s expression in the room. “What’s going on?”

Mark allowed Jarod to come past him. “Lily is just expressing her desire to not go back on the IV and that she is distressed….”

“Will you stop the bullshit and just tell him that you are keeping me here when I really want to leave. Jarod understands that. Being kept a prisoner.”

Jarod quickly picked up on that something was wrong and cut in. “Lily. I was hoping to have some time just for the two of us to talk.” Jarod turned to Mark. “Could you leave us alone for a while, if Lily’s up to it?” Jarod looked at Lily.

Lily kept her guard up, but eased a little when Jarod asked her if he could talk to her. “I’m fine.” Looking at Claudia, Bruce, and Mark. “I would like to talk to my brother – alone.”

Mark looked at Jarod and he acknowledged the look. Turning to escort everyone out, “Mark, let me talk to her for a little while.”

“Jarod, she’s not talking rationally.” Mark tried to say under his breath.

“I am as rational as you are.” Lily retorted angrily as she stood by the stereo listening to the music play.

Mark looked at Jarod and he motioned for Mark to leave and escorted him out the door. “We’ll be fine. Just let us talk.” Jarod closed the door with Mark trying to say something.

Lily went over and tried the doorknob. Finding the door locked, she leaned her back against it and kicked the door. “Locked.”

Jarod stood in the middle of the room. “OK. What’s going on Lily? What has you so upset?”

**************************

Mark went to the office where they were monitoring Lily’s room. Joan was already standing there watching the monitor. “She woke up agitated?”

“Yes. She had been tossing and turning in her bed Claudia reported prior to her waking up. When I came down and viewed what was going on, I viewed the footage of her waking up. I believe we have a problem.” Mark went to the console and typed on the keyboard. The footage rewound and then started to play.

Joan watched as Lily pulled the IV line out and went unsteadily to the mirror. “Mark. Did you listen to what she was saying?”

“I didn’t notice that she was speaking.” Mark typed on to the keyboard again and manipulated the volume controls.

“Dr. Stedman. We’ve lost visual in Lily’s room. Jarod pulled out the cables.” The tech said.

Joan thought for a moment. “That’s OK. Give them a while and switch to camera 2. They won’t notice that one.”

Mark had finished rewinding the footage again and hit play.

“I decide who lives or dies.” Came over the audio and then the loud rock music.

“I think that it has begun.” Joan stated as Mark shook his head in agreement.

************************

Broots had spent all day trying to access Lyle’s files. He had been unsuccessful at home. He hated tapping into Lyle or Raines’ computers. He always had a mental image of an axe coming down on his head when Miss Parker had asked him to do it. But now it was personal. He knew that Debbie wasn’t one to jump to conclusions. He was also running a search for companies that manufactured statues.

Sydney came into the office. “Broots. Have you been able to locate the angel statue yet or see if Lyle had any more information about Miss Parker’s disappearance? Broots.” Sydney went and tapped Broots on the shoulder. “Broots.”

Broots jumped in his chair. “Sydney.” He spilled out as he tried to hide what he had been working on.

“Is there something wrong? You jumped almost to the ceiling.”

“Sydney, if I tell you something do you promise not to mention it to anyone?” Broots looked around the room.

“Of course. Anything you say to me is confidential. What’s wrong? Did you find out something about the angel figure or the project that Jarod interrupted?”

“Sydney. Debbie thinks she is being followed. Now I took her to school this morning and didn’t see anything, but she’s not one to make things up. She described the car that she thought was following her in detail.”

“And you think the Centre has something to do with it?” Sydney questioned.

“I’m not sure. What if the people that took Jarod and Miss Parker have some kind of vendetta against the Centre and they are targeting Centre personnel. Or it’s the Centre itself. It’s not the first time I have been targeted. I think I’m getting an ulcer.” Broots held his stomach.

“Broots. You have to keep your wits about you. You will do Debbie no good if you lose your head. Now you’ve told her to stay in large groups, right?”

“Yes. I told her to stay in large groups and to never leave herself open. I was just about to leave to pick her up after I ran this last search. I don’t want her to walk home right now.” Just then the computer beeped, it had finished its search. Broots looked over at the screen. “Sydney. Sydney look. A match. A pair of statues were made to that specification at a company in California.”

“Then that’s our lead. Maybe if we contact the company, they may still have a record of where they were shipped. But that will have to be tomorrow. You go and get Debbie now. She’s more important.”

“OK, but don’t you want to know where they were shipped? It might tell us where Miss Parker would be.”

“No. It can wait till tomorrow. You go and pick up Debbie. I’ll close your computer down.” Sydney offered.

“Oh. Thanks Sydney. I am running late. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Broots got up, picked up his jacket and went out the door.

Sydney sat down at Broot’s computer and started writing down the address to where the statues were made. He took out his cell phone and dialed. “Yes, I’d like to book a flight to California. I’d like to leave this evening.”

************************

Jarod went over to Lily. “OK. What’s going on Lily? What has you so upset?”

Lily pushed off the door and started pacing around the room. “They’re treating me like a caged animal. First off – I’m tired of being watched.” She pointed to the camera in the corner of the room.

“I can rectify that.” Jarod moved under the surveillance camera and pulled the wires out. “OK. So now they are not watching.” Jarod saw Lily sway a little as she paced around the room. He went to sit on the bed and then decided to prop the pillows up and lay down. Lily saw what he did and stopped pacing.

“Why don’t you make yourself comfortable?” Lily said sharply.

“Why don’t you come here and we can lay down and talk. You look tired.”

“I’m fine.” She said as she felt a wave of dizziness.

“Please. I don’t want to have to pick you up after you pass out on the floor.” Jarod smiled.

Lily was going to snap back, but decided that Jarod was right. She did feel drained. She went and laid down on the bed next to Jarod. They were both looking at the ceiling. “You know they are going to come buzzing in any minute like the Three Stooges because you unhooked the camera.”

“I know. Now what’s really bothering you?” Jarod made sure that he kept his face up so that Lily would not feel self-conscious.

“Maybe nothings wrong with me. Maybe I’m better now than before.”

“Who said that there was anything wrong. I asked what was bothering you?” Jarod quipped back.

Lily didn’t answer right away and gave a big breath out. “I’m remembering things. About being at the Centre. I had a whole….. existence there. It was……”, she hesitated.

“Pretty bad. I know what they did to our brother Kyle. They burned the humanity out of him. And another Pretender named Alex. He ended up having no soul. Not even the Triumvirate could control him.

“What the hell is the Triumvirate? I know that it is part of the Centre, but who really are they?”

“They are a group out of Africa who work in conjunction with the Tower at the Centre. They make overall decisions, though the Parkers seldom play by their rules. So the Triumvirate got a hold of Alex and created a perfect sociopath; he had no remorse for anything that he did.” Jarod could feel Lily stiffen next to him. “You could never be like them. You escaped. Came here. You helped save people. You countered what they did with my simulations.”

“I don’t know how to explain it.” Lily tried to go on. “Have you ever seen the movie Star Wars?”

Jarod smiled, “Yes, my young Jedi.”

Lily smiled. “OK. So you’ve discovered Star Wars. You know how they kept talking about the dark side. Well I know things now. How to hurt people, make them suffer, and how to kill. I’m not going to let anyone hurt me anymore. I remember all the things that Raines taught me. It’s a part of me, of who I am.”

Jarod was quiet for a moment and then decided to open up. “When I first escaped from the Centre, I was curious, excited, and willing to do anything to atone for what the Centre had done with my simulations. I wanted to help people whose families were in danger or people that had been separated from their family because of someone else’s wrongdoing. But then things started happening. I didn’t know the real world and I didn’t know who I was. I started finding out information about the Centre and about our family. For a while it looked like our father had killed Catherine Parker.”

Lily turned her head with her eyes wide open. “Had he?”

“No. Raines committed that act. And then along came Mr. Lyle and Mr. Cox. There were two times that I thought our brother Kyle had died. First was when a van we were in rolled and the FBI fired on the van and it blew up.”

“But he was still alive?”

“He came back later, to save me. But Lyle shot him because he was trying to shoot me. Kyle threw himself in front of me, took the bullet. He died in my arms. I donated his heart to a boy that was a blood match.”

“And you didn’t kill Lyle?” Lily said with disbelief in her eyes.

“I had to get Kyle out of there. Making the donation saved that boys life and gave purpose to Kyle’s death. After that, I started to change. I realized that the world was different than I had seen it before. That there were a lot of people that had hate in their hearts. And I realized that I had begun to have hatred in my heart. I wanted revenge for the people that had been killed or hurt by these evil people. Then the Centre caught me.”

“The Centre caught you? How?” Lily asked shocked.

“I found out that they had made a clone of me.”

“Get out of here. No one has made a successful human clone.” Lily looked into Jarod’s eyes. “You mean Raines actually created a viable human clone?”

“He’s with Dad now. I kidnapped Mr. Parker to exchange him for our father, but Raines showed up with a sharp shooter. He was trying to shoot Mr. Parker and hit Miss Parker instead. I told Dad to go and take the boy to safety.”

Lily was still concentrating on Jarod’s eyes. “You couldn’t leave her behind. Shot. Could you?”

Jarod bit his lip. “No. I couldn’t leave her behind bleeding and possibly dying. So I tried to stabilize her wound and in trying to escape on a motorcycle, they caught me.”

“But you’re here. You escaped again?” Jarod shook his head in agreement. “Oh I would have loved to had seen Raines’ face when he found that out.”

“But I didn’t escape before Mr. Lyle tortured me. He used a battery and cables to shock me. This went on for more than a month. I used a technique I developed when I was a child. I use to go to a special place in my mind where they couldn’t find me, where I couldn’t feel the pain.”

“But it doesn’t totally work. The aftermath is still there. The hatred is still there for having to go through it in the first place. It ends up that you can’t stay there forever. Eventually you have to come out and face reality.” Lily was looking back up at the ceiling.

“How did you know?” Then Jarod thought about what Sydney told him about Jacob and how they knew things about each other at times. “I think that maybe we have been able to feel each others pain and sorrow. It probably didn’t help that we were going through similar circumstances.”

“I don’t know about that. I just know that’s how I dealt with what Raines’ was doing to me.” Lily pushed herself up on her arms and looked at the door. “I don’t want to talk about this anymore.” Lily got off the bed and started looking around the room.

“What’s wrong Lily?” But Jarod already knew what she was looking for.

After Lily had spun around the room a few times concentrating on the walls and furnishings, she stopped dead in the middle. “I know you are watching and listening. So hear this. I am not a lab rat! You will let me out of here. And if it’s the last thing I do, I am going to make William Raines pay for what he did to me!”

************************

The Game of Life

Your car must travel a winding road.

Full of pitfalls and prosperities.

At some time you will come to the end of the road.

But only if you can keep from crashing and burning.
Turn Of The Wheel by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or diseased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.




The Game of Life

Your car must travel a winding road.

Full of pitfalls and prosperities.

At some time you will come to the end of the road.

But only if you can keep from crashing and burning.


************************

Angels Hope
Turn Of The Wheel




“What’s wrong Lily?” But Jarod already knew what she was looking for.

After Lily had spun around the room a few times concentrating on the walls and furnishings, she stopped dead in the middle. “I know you are watching and listening. So hear this. I am not a lab rat! You will let me out of here. And if it’s the last thing I do, I am going to make William Raines pay for what he did to me!”

Jarod got up off the bed and stood next to his sister. “And I’m going to help her. We’re not going to let any more children get hurt because of Raines’ quest for power. Especially not Debbie Broots.”

Lily looked at Jarod. “Who’s Debbie Broots?”

“She’s the daughter of……” Jarod started when the door buzzed.

Joan opened the door with Mark right behind her and Bruce behind him. “I think that Lily needs her rest right now Jarod. Miss Parker is in her mother’s office and I think she may need you right now. Fred can escort you to her office and dinner will be ready in an hour.” Fred came into the room to gently, but firmly pull Jarod out of the room. Jarod shot Fred a look, but decided this was not the time for a fight. He could see Lily starting to build to a rage.

“No. I want answers! Who is Debbie Broots?” Lily screamed as Mark blocked her from following Jarod. “Let me go! I want to talk to my brother!” She pushed Mark backwards and was intercepted by Bruce. Being more her equal and Lily being weak, she was stopped just before the doorway. The door closed separating herself from Jarod. “Let go of me!” Bruce gently pushed her backwards. “Why are you keeping me from learning who this Debbie Broots is?”

Joan tried to calm her. “Lily. It’s not that we are keeping you from finding out who she is. It’s that we are concerned that you are healed first. With all this movement you are going to pull your stitches out.”

Mark looked at Lily more sternly. “With all this fuss, you’re going to short circuit that chip. Now please can you calm yourself?”

Lily stepped away from them shaking her head. “My health. My chip. Let’s just cut to the chase. You don’t want me leaving here because you two think that this little chip is going to pop and I’m going to tell someone about Angel’s Hope. So why don’t you tell me exactly what this chips does and how it controls me.”

************************

Jarod banged his fist on Lily’s door. He didn’t want to leave her this way, but knew that Dr. Stedman was not going to allow him back in. Fred looked at him as if he thought he was going to have to restrain Jarod. But Jarod backed away from the door and went to the elevator. Dr. Stedman had said that Parker needed him. What had she discovered in her mother’s office? He got off on the office level and proceeded to Catherine Parker’s office. He knocked on the door and heard Parker say to come in. He peeked his head in and saw Parker sitting at the desk. The light illuminating her soft skin, her long brown hair. He could feel emotions stirring inside him every time he looked at her. What he had told Lily was true – no matter how much she pushed him away, he was in love with her.

“Jarod. Keeping yourself busy all day?” Parker didn’t have her normal wittiness.

“More like getting into trouble all day. First, Becky and I tried to get my lap top.”

Parker raised her eyebrows. “Did you get it? Can we contact Sydney or Broots?”

Jarod looked at her suspiciously. “I had it. Dr. Stedman must have enhanced the security features of the facility since Lily and Becky left and we got caught.” He thought for a moment before continuing. “Why are you so anxious to contact the Centre. After everything that we have found out here, I thought that you would at least keep their secret.”

Parker looked at him puzzled. “I don’t want to turn anyone in Pez Boy. I want to warn them. Look at this.”

Jarod came over to look at the file that Parker had been reading. “What did you find?”

“When the Prodigy project was initiated, Raines knew that the possibility of making geniuses would be a great asset for the Centre. But it was also surmised that if these geniuses were to reproduce, he would have a hybrid. A super Pretender. There are names here of children to be matched in adulthood. Look here.” Parker pointed to one set of matched names. “Lyle and Bridgette were to be paired. Now if Daddy isn’t my father, then he can’t be Bridgette’s baby’s father either.”

“Then more likely Baby Parker is Lyle’s and Bridgette’s. The Centre’s Super Pretender.” Jarod surmised as he still concentrated on the names on the list. Then he spotted what he was looking for and smiled.

“Yes, but there’s more. Raines also wanted to see what would happen if the gene pool was introduced to a regular base subject. Whether the traits of the dominant gene parent would be passed on to the child. The idea was to have a secondary project to track the offspring.”

“A Gemini Succession Project. Oh no. Debbie.” Terror filled Jarod’s eyes as he finally realized what Angelo was trying to tell him.

Without even knowing what Jarod was talking about, she realized when Jarod said Debbie’s name that Broots was on the list of earlier children manipulated by the Centre. “Did you access your e-mail account? Is the Centre after Debbie?”

‘I received an e-mail from Angelo. All it said was that there was a Princess in danger and that I had to stop the Gemini Succession Project.”

“Before we were taken, Debbie called me to tell me she had gotten the part in her school play. Jarod – she’s playing Cinderella.”

“We have got to get word out of here and warn Broots. But Dr. Stedman took my computer.” Jarod’s eyes lit up. “Maybe my room is like Becky’s. Come on.” He grabbed Parker’s hand, pulling her out of her chair and toward the door.

“What does it matter if your room is like Becky’s?” Parker asked pulling back from Jarod.

“When I was in Becky’s room she had a book shelf that when pushed opened to a computer station. If I can hack into their Intranet system, I can access the Internet and reach Broots. Come on. The e-mails from Angelo were sent days ago.” Jarod opened the door and proceeded to walk to the elevator with Parker. “We think we will get freshened up for dinner.” Fred nodded his head as Morris stepped in line right next to the other guard.

Jarod and Parker walked at an accelerated pace. They got onto the elevator and got off at the quarters level. The guard slid his key into the lock and buzzed Jarod into his room. Parker walked in first and then Jarod followed. Fred closed the door. Jarod went to the wall that Becky had gone to and pushed the button. The shelf unit moved aside.

************************

Sydney sat at the Baltimore terminal waiting for his flight. He was trying to process the events of the last few weeks. Parker and Jarod’s disappearance, Angelo’s strange behavior with his insistence that he had a sister, and the call from Joan after all these years. He thought about Jacob and how he had been helping Catherine Parker. More likely Joan had been involved in all this as well. Had Jarod or Miss Parker found out some information that had led them to Joan? Or had Joan located them. Had Jacob, Joan and Catherine smuggled out Angelo’s sister? Everything was just so confusing.

Sydney was so caught up in his own thoughts that he did not see the man moving up next to him. A hand came down on Sydney’s shoulder. “Going somewhere Sydney?”

Startled, Sydney looked up to see Lyle standing next to him. Angrily he replied. “Lyle. Are you following me?”

“Sydney. Right now everyone is being followed. There are probably people following me. So where are you off to? A lead on Jarod and Miss Parker? And why not take the Centre’s jet?”

“This is a personal trip Lyle and none of your business.”

“Well I would suggest that no one take any personal trips right now. Since one of our little team members has been plucked into thin air, then I think the rest should stay close to home. Don’t you agree Sydney?”

Sydney’s anger was boiling, but he knew that he had to keep a cool head or possibly expose Jarod’s whereabouts. “If you think that it is for the best, then I will postpone my trip. It wasn’t that important anyway.”

“I’m glad that you see things my way. We’ll escort you to your car?” Lyle asked motioning to the Sweepers behind him.

“That won’t be necessary Lyle. I don’t think anyone will ‘pluck’ me going to my car.”

“I insist. Sam, can you please escort the fine doctor back to his car?” Lyle smirked.

Sydney picked up his briefcase and with Sam in tow went back to his car.

As Sydney was leaving, Lyle turned to the other sweeper. “Find out where he was flying off to.”

Sam stated as Sydney was getting into his car. “I’ll be following you home Sir.”

“Of course. Thank you Sam.” Sydney started his car and headed for home disappointed in losing his lead.

************************

“Well?” Lily stood with her arms crossed across her chest. “Are you going to tell me or do I go ballistic again and tear this place apart?”

“We told you before that the chip controls your negative emotions.” Joan started, but was cut off by Lily.

“No. I mean what does it do to me. You seem to think that every time I get angry that something is going to happen. Is there something in the chip that activates if you get too emotional? A way of controlling the person who has it?”

Mark looked at Joan and she nodded her head for the young man to proceed. “There is a failsafe that activates to control the anger. We assume that since the chip triggers a tremendous amount of anger in the person that holds it, it was Raines’ way of protecting himself from them.”

“So I get too angry and it gives me those lovely headaches and electric shocks I had earlier?” Lily looked at their stern faces.

“Yes. But what we’re more afraid of is the fact that we don’t know how much of that electric shock the brain can take before there is permanent damage. So Honey, you have to stay calm. You had some pretty good jolts already.”

Lily looked at Mark square in the eyes. “Don’t call me your Honey. You knew that this thing was inside me and you never once told me! Instead you conspire behind my back to keep me in the dark when if anyone here should have told me the truth, it should have been you.” Lily turned away from Mark with tears swelling in her eyes.

She could hear Raines in her head saying, “Crying is a sign of weakness. There will be no crying.” She blinked the tears from her eyes.

Mark’s face dropped into a sullen look. “I never meant to……..I mean it was my job, no…….I love you.”

Lily whipped around. “Love. You lie to me and then tell me you love me. Get out!” Lily pointed at the door. “I don’t love anyone. I don’t need anyone. I don’t want to see you here again.”

“Because you decide who lives or dies.” Joan stated which acted like a slap in the face for Lily.

Lily walked over to Joan. “I’m not going to kill anyone but Raines. Though I’m reserving judgment for those who stand in my way of taking care of that madman. Now who is Debbie Broots? And don’t try to lie to me, I’ll know.”

Joan took in a big breath. “She is the child of the head of the Computer Department at the Centre. Someone, so it seems, who is quite close to Miss Parker and Jarod.”

“Why would the Centre want her? What value does she have to them?” Lily was searching Joan’s face for the truth.

“Catherine Parker found out that the Centre was going to breed the children of the Prodigy project. He is a part of that project.”

“So now they want her.” Lily walked around the room, the wheels of her mind working. “So what we have to do is give them something else to keep them occupied. Unless they already have her?”

“No. Our operatives say that she has not been retrieved.” Joan looked at Lily trying to figure out what she was thinking. “I see the wheels turning Lily. What do you have in mind?”

“Please bring Victoria, Ben, Sonia, George, and Matt here. I have a plan forming.” Lily said with a glint in her eyes.

************************

Broots had picked up Debbie without any incident. He had looked for the car that Debbie had described, but it had not been in the area. But he had been with the Centre long enough to know that the car not being in site didn’t mean that they weren’t there.


He watched as Debbie broke apart the lettuce for the tossed salad that they were going to have with dinner. She had grown into such a young woman. Soon he would be teaching her to drive, see her go on her first solo date, and graduate High School. Even with all her outside activities, she still maintained a High Honor Roll status. He had just received her quarterly report card.

“Dad. Do you want me to add oil and vinegar or are you going French tonight? Hello. Earth to Dad.” Debbie waved her hand in front of her father, who shook his head slightly coming out of the daydream.

“Oh, sorry. I was thinking about something.” Broots said realizing that the grease in the pan had begun to smoke.

“Keep that up and we will be having smoked pork chops instead of just breaded. Oil and vinegar or French?” Debbie laughed and her smile could have lit up the whole room.

“Oil and vinegar is fine.” He placed the pork chops in the pan and placed the corn on the cob in the boiling water. It was times like these that he loved being a father.

Outside the Broots house, a man with binoculars picked up his cell phone. “Yes. She is in the residence now. I have the gas explosives. It will be an easy retrieval.”

************************

The Game of Life can easily turn into the Game of Strategy

A player’s car can take many routes.

Some decisions create the pitfalls.

Others create master plans.

Can the players master the pitfalls to achieve victory?
The Game: Act 1 by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or diseased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.


The Game of Life can easily turn into the Game of Strategy

A player’s car can take many routes.

Some decisions create the pitfalls.

Others create master plans.

Can the players master the pitfalls to achieve victory?

*************************

Angels Hope
The Game: Act 1





Outside the Broots' house, a man with binoculars picked up his cell phone. “Yes. She is in the residence now. I have the gas explosives. It will be an easy retrieval.”

Inside, Broots and Debbie were setting the table. They brought their dinner to the table and poured themselves some orange juice.

“So, honey. Did you notice anything strange today?” Broots asked trying to be non-chalant, but hoping that she would return a negative answer.

“No. Everything went fine. No one followed me and I went to rehearsal where everything went as scheduled. Maybe I was wrong and let my imagination run amok. People following me.” She laughed. “Like some big secret organization would want me.”

Broots nearly choked on his food.

************************

“Damn.” Parker hit her fist on the now exposed empty desk.

“Well I guess it was a long shot to begin with. We should have known that they would never allow us to have computers unsupervised.” Jarod exhaled in frustration at looking at the empty hole. “Maybe in a while we could have gained Dr. Stedman’s trust.”

“But we don’t have months, days, maybe even hours. If the Centre wants Debbie, they are going to get Debbie. Unless we can warn Broots or Syd.” She walked the room in frustration. “I won’t let Raines hurt Debbie.”

“Lily has the same idea. They pushed me out of her room before I had a chance to tell her about Debbie.”

Parker stopped her pacing and slightly turned her head toward Jarod. “And why wouldn’t they want Lily to know about Debbie? What are they trying to hide from her?”

“I don’t think it’s that they don’t want her to know about Debbie as much as they don’t want her reacting about Debbie.” Jarod said as he came around his bed and sat down. “I think there is more about those chips than they’re telling us.”

“Great! And I’ve got one of those things in my head. What are they waiting for us to implode?” Parker came and sat next to Jarod on his bed.

Jarod, noticing her proximity, took what she said and expanded. “What if they’re not afraid of imploding, but exploding? I bet that chip can cause a person to become violent pretty quickly. What if they are afraid that they can’t control her?”

Parker, also noticing their closeness, added. “What if they are afraid that they can’t control just her? Could they be afraid of the two of us joining forces and becoming a destructive force? There is strength in numbers. Dr. Stedman said that she had been watching me through the years, but couldn’t approach me because the Centre always had me under watch.”

“But was the Centre watching your progress as a subject or were they watching you because of the chip?” Jarod’s mind was racing with scenarios.

“Or both. But we can’t worry about this now, we have to find a way to contact Broots.” Parker was frustrated with her lack of control over the situation.

“Maybe we just have to state our case to Dr. Stedman over dinner and explain the urgency of her either letting us contact Broots or sending one of the operatives from here to help.”

Both agreed they would have to go to dinner and get Stedman to understand.

************************

Jarod and Parker entered the Dining Hall to see that Becky was already seated with her new shadow.

“Good evening Becky and was it Frank. Where is Dr. Stedman?”

“Good evening Jarod. We were the first to arrive. From what I hear, Lily was giving them a run for their money.” Becky laughed. “She can be obstinate when she wants to be.”

“I was there for part of it. Did more happen after I was escorted out of her room?” Jarod was concerned for Lily.

“Well from what Frank heard, Lily called her team together and ordered Joan and Mark out of her room.”

“Her team?” Parker asked now intrigued.

“Lily has had a group of trained staff that she has supervised for years. But never before has she ordered Joan out of anything. Let alone Mark. Mark has always been by her side.”

The group talked for about an hour and a half when they heard movement at the entrance of the room. The door opened and in walked Joan Stedman who looked obviously upset. “Hello everyone. You shouldn’t have held dinner for us.” Joan sat in her customary place.

“How is Lily?” Jarod asked trying to read the woman’s face.

“We are trying to keep her under control, but she has decided to keep us out of the loop.” Joan showed definite anger in her eyes. “She assembled her group and proceeded into the media center. Locked Mark and I out. And disabled the cameras in the room.”

“In the media center? Why would she want to be in the media center? That just has filming equipment and instruments.” Becky said confused by her sister’s actions.

“I don’t know, but her actions are starting to trouble me. She is not acting reasonably.” Joan started to say as Jarod interjected.

“What is reasonable Dr. Stedman? If you mean she is not acting like she did before her memories started coming back – you’re right. She now has to integrate her memories into who she is.”

“She will become stronger, better, faster.” Parker said as everyone in the room looked at her. “Didn’t anyone watch The Bionic Woman?”

Parker was let off the hook by a loud alarm bell sounding. “What now?” Joan Stedman moaned as she dropped her head into her folded hands.

One of the men Jarod recognized from the Retrieval Team came running into the room. He spit out in between breaths. “Dr. Stedman. You’ve got….to come quick. Lily…..she’s broadcasting……to the Centre.”

The group ran out of the room to the nearest monitor room.

************************

Lily sat at the control center after having hacked into the main computer to give herself access to an outside fiber optic line. She sat with Veronica at her side.

“You know that this Raines fellow you were telling us about is going to have a fit.” Veronica said as they watched the beginning of Lily’s broadcast.

“I’m counting on it.” Lily said as she watched the video monitor.

************************

At the Centre, all the security monitor equipment and PC monitors went blank. The night shift staff of the computer department was in a frenzy. One technician got on the phone. “Mr. Broots, you have got to turn on your Centre linked computer. We’re being accessed from an outside source. We have breeches in all our systems.” Broots went running from the dinner table to his computer.

Raines was screaming orders from his office. Lyle was going from computer to computer trying to access the main frame. Sweepers were running in every different direction. Suddenly something came onto the screens and the personnel at the Centre stopped and watched.

On the screen, Lily appeared with what looked like musicians (in reality it was her team) with dark glasses behind her. She was dressed in a long black leather coat, black leather pants, a tight black heart shaped shirt, black sunglasses, and had a longhaired black wig. Loud music began to play. The instrumental was from Alanis Morisette’s Hands Clean, but Lily had changed the words.

If it weren’t for my maturity none of this would be happening.

If I wasn’t so wise beyond my years I would have been able to control myself.

If it wasn’t for our birth (Pictures that Lily had pulled from the computer of the Centre children started to appear in small boxes and went to the rim of the screen.) you wouldn’t have been successful.

And if it weren’t for us you would never have amounted to very much.

Ooh. This could get messy (Lily coyly faced the camera looking over her shoulder, then turned to face it)

But you don’t seem to mind.

Ooh don’t go telling everybody (She puts her finger in front of her lips and smiles)

And overlook this supposed crime.

Well fast-forward to a few years later

And no one knows except the group of us. (Lily started to move in and out of the group and then opens her arms indicating the group standing around her)

I have honored your request for silence (She moves back to the front of the screen)

And you’ve washed your hands clean of us. (The pictures that were on the rim start to disappear one by one.)

We were essentially employees and you liked us to depend on thee. (Lily was again looking straight into the camera)

We’re all your “Prodigy’s” and one day you’d say that we learned all we know from thee.

I know you wanted me to depend on you like a young thing would to a guardian.

I know you abused authority for years and I think you liked it.

Ooh this could get messy

But you don’t seem to mind

Ooh don’t go telling everybody

You’d rather overlook this supposed crime. (A picture of Kyle came up on the screen in a small box)

Well fast-forward to a few years later

No one knows except the both of us

And I have honored your request for silence

And you’ve washed your hands clean of us.

What part of our history is reinvented and under rug swept? (Lily faces the camera with anger in her eyes)

What part of your memory is selective and tends to forget?

What with my observance it seems so obvious.

You made sure you didn’t tell on me especially to members of my family.

You felt it best to keep to yourself and not tell anyone of the inner posse.

(A picture of Lyle came onto the screen) I wish I could tell the world cuz you’re such a fine thing when you’re done up properly. (Lily made a cat growl face into the camera)

I might want to marry you one day if you watch that weight and keep your firm body.

Ooh this could get messy (A picture of Raines came back on the screen)

But you don’t seem to mind

Ooh don’t go telling everybody

You’d rather overlook this supposed crime. (A picture of Catherine Parker came onto the screen in a small box next to Raines)

Well fast-forward to a few years later

No one knows except the both of us

And I have honored your request for silence

And you’ve washed your hands clean of this. (The music starts to fade)

“Or so you think.” The music faded off. “Now that I have your attention Mr. Raines and Mr. Lyle, let me tell you a story about a small boy named Jarod. I have become very fond of your grown up Pretender. And I also think that I have another person who may be ‘Centre’ property – Miss Parker.” Lily pulled up a stool and faced the camera.

“So let’s play a game of seek and find. Shall we? If you can catch me, then the prize will be yours. If you don’t, the spoils go to me. So if you’re up for the challenge, I’ll be partying down with my friends here at Lairs.” Lily held up a Mardi Gras mask to her face. “I’m dying to meet you Mr. Raines. Don’t forget to try the gumbo, I hear it is delicious. Hope to see you soon.” And the broadcast ended.

************************


“Well I think that went well.” Lily was saying to Veronica as they sat in the control booth. Lily heard a commotion outside in the main gallery of the media center. “I think company is coming.”

The door to the common room was literally being pulled from the doorframe. Joan stood there, as the maintenance team pulled the door away, a scowl on her face.

“I don’t think she is happy.” Veronica replied. “Think she didn’t like our taste in music?”

“No. I think that she has death on her mind.” Lily just kept her straight face. “Bring it on.”

************************

Broots sat at his computer at home in astonishment. He couldn’t believe what he had seen. No one had broken into the Centre’s mainframe like that except for……..Jarod. Was Jarod helping this woman, this very good-looking woman? Reminded him of Parker.

“Keep your mind on work idiot.” Broots said to himself. He tried to trace the transmission, but it had been back fed through signals throughout the world. A variation of a trick Jarod had pulled. “Oh no. Mr. Raines won’t like this.” The charge for the transmission was billed to the Centre.

Broots phone rang. He picked it up. “So, did you get a trace?” Broots cringed as he heard Mr. Lyle’s voice on the other end.

***********************

The Centre was in chaos. People were running in every direction and none wanted to be anywhere near Raines who was having a conniption. “I want to know who that woman is. You run her picture through every database in the world. No one plays with me!”

The technicians in the workroom snickered as Raines made his remark.

“Is there a problem here people?” The group shook their heads and started their search. “Lyle, where is Broots? I want action here!”

Lyle, who had found the whole broadcast quite amusing, was sitting in a chair thinking about the mysterious woman who had his sister and what should be his prize possession. “He’s at home. He had to pick up his child. Mr. Broots said the transmission was untraceable. Some kind of feedback of signal through other signals.”

“Jarod did that years ago with the phone lines. He must be working with her.” Raines sneered.

“OR.” Lyle started. “This woman has studied our Pretender, studied the Centre. She doesn’t seem to have a thing for either of her captives, she seems to have a bone with – YOU.” Lyle got up from his chair. “Do we have another Alex on our hands – DAD?” Lyle grabbed a piece of paper that was being handed to him from one of the techs.

“You best keep your place BOY. I’m still in charge here.”

“Then I suggest you get the jet ready. We’re going to New Orleans.”

“New Orleans?” Raines wheezed.

“Lairs is a warehouse in New Orleans. Or so Mr. Broots sent over to the team.” Lyle smiled as he started for the door. “Let me get my things and we’ll be off.” A technician came up to Mr. Lyle and whispered something before retreating back to his chair.

Raines screamed. “Get the jet ready!”

“One problem.” Lyle started.

“What problem Lyle?” Raines wheezed.

“It seems an electronic message went through to the hanger an hour ago requesting all Centre jets to head for California. There are no more here to transport us. We’ll have to wait for them to turn around and refuel.” Lyle smiled at the thought of Raines being outsmarted. He wanted to confront this vixen himself.

Raines turned away from the group and opened his cell phone. He spoke a few short words and hung up. “Notify me when we are able to leave, I’ll be in my office.”

The man outside the Broots house opened his cell phone, listened to the instructions, and hung up. He backed away from the house, got into his car, and left.

************************

Lily went and opened the door to the monitor room to confront Joan.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing!” Joan screamed. “Broadcasting to the Centre! Practically giving them the address of a property owned by Angel’s Hope.”

“I’m doing what I had to do!” Lily screamed back, the long black hair of the wig flying around her face.

Jarod, Parker, Becky, Mark, and the assorted entourage filed in after Joan.

“What you made me do!” Lily still screamed pointing at Joan’s chest. “You gave me no choice.” Jarod moved and put his arm around his sister trying to calm her down.

“What are you talking about? No choice.” Joan’s fury matched that of Lily’s as she faced her prodigy face to face.

Jarod had started to analyze the broadcast from the minute it started and had been playing the scenarios in his head. “To help Debbie.”

The group looked at Jarod. “What do you mean help the Broots’ girl? How does exposing our operation help your Debbie Broots?” Joan fumed.

Parker picked up on where Jarod was going. “Because if Raines has his attention distracted, then he wouldn’t be going after Debbie anymore.”

“He’d be going after…”Jarod started.

“Me.” Lily finished.

“Do you realize what you have done?” Jarod asked with fear in his eyes. “Raines will do everything in his power to catch you.”

Lily moved away from Jarod and looked at the group. “Let the Game begin.”

************************

Strategy

A complicated game to predict, even more complicated to live.

Life

Has actions and consequences

Both are equal in the universal games that our players are about to play.
Act 1 Scene 2 by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or diseased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Strategy

A complicated game to predict, even more complicated to live.

Life

Has actions and consequences

Both must be balanced in the universal games that our players are about to play.

*************************


Angels Hope
Act 1 Scene 2




Parker picked up on where Jarod was going. “Because if Raines has his attention distracted, then he wouldn’t be going after Debbie anymore.”

“He’d be going after…”Jarod started.

“Me.” Lily finished.

“Do you realize what you have done?” Jarod asked with fear in his eyes. “Raines will do everything in his power to catch you.”

Lily moved away from Jarod and looked at the group. “Let the Game begin.”

“This isn’t a game!” Jarod said as he came back in front of Lily. “I have been running from this man for six years.”

“And you have always kept one step in front of him.” Lily vollied back.

“Not always if you remember. I’ve spent time with Mr. Lyle’ s jumper cables. These people aren’t going to play fair.”

“Neither am I. I’m going to give them a taste of their own medicine.” Lily walked to a projector and turned it on. “I have a plan. So you can either help me or get out of my way.” Lily looked into Jarod’s eyes giving the ultimatium, but hoping she would have an ally.

“No one is doing anything unless I approve it.” Joan stated as she came between the two siblings. “I should keep you all locked away until you come to your senses.”

“If you do that, then you might as well walk up and hand Debbie and Angel’s Hope to Raines.” Parker chimed in. “He knows that Lily exists and is a threat. And that she has Jarod. He will stop at nothing to track her down.”

Joan looked at the group. The looks on their faces said it all. Jarod – determined, concerned. Parker – she had her sparkle again. The one she got when she was on a mission. And Lily – filled with a rage that could either consume her or bring her victory.

It was the time in her life that she knew was eventually coming. One she had dreaded. Life at Angel’s Hope had become surreal. They had performed their tasks in obscurity, helping but risking little. Now it was time to confront the evil that had been a part of her life since she was a young woman. “If I allow you to proceed Lily, it’s under strict direction of Mark.”

Lily looked at Mark. “I don’t need a babysitter.” Mark turned his head so that she would not see the hurt on his face.

“He’s there to handle the overall. You will be in charge of the mission. So show me what you have planned.”

Lily hit the laptop computer button and the first screen appeared. “First. Jarod we have to get you established into the FBI.”

Jarod got that devilish smile on his face. “No problem.”

Lily saw the smile and knew that everything would go as planned. “OK. We have to attack them from different positions……….”

*************************

Lyle was sitting at his desk, pushing the papers around. He had been playing the video of the transmission that had come in. He had watched intently for any clue as to who this woman might be. She moved as if agile and well trained, not in music or dance necessarily, but in body mechanics. Raines might be brushing her off, but Lyle knew better.

They had not been able to brush off Alex. They had created a time bomb that exploded at every chance it had gotten. But the bottom line was down to one thing. Alex had no soul. The Centre and the Triumverate had burned it out of him. A killer without a conscious – the perfect sociopath.

Lyle looked at the freezed frame on his monitor. That point when she had looked into the camera and it was as if she was burrowing her eyes into Raines. He knew that look. He had seen it before. This alone might have convinced him that they were in trouble. That they had another Alex on their hands. But there was something else he saw. He had played the message at least twenty times. She not only had the coldness, but she had the soul. There was a look in her eyes as if this was personal. And she wasn’t going to stop until she succeeded in whatever she was trying to accomplish.

Lyle traced her face on the screen with his finger tip. There was something about her that intrigue him and something that was familiar. She was unlike the other woman he had tried to possess. Since being sent to Asia by the Triumverate years ago, he had always fancied Asian women. He had embraced their sociological views of the roles of men and women.

Something about this woman touched him, but he didn’t know why. She was strong, forceful, and he assumed strong willed. Not his type at all. It was her eyes. The eyes were the windows to the soul and he saw ……pain, misery, anger. He could relate to that. When they caught her, she would be his personal project.

*************************

Joan paced in the office hallway as she waited to escort Lily and Jarod to the landing strip. She was taking a big chance in letting Jarod go. But hoped that having his sister and Miss Parker here would be enough security to warrant his return. She looked up in time to see them and she smiled.

In a line they approached her. Leading in the middle were Lily and Jarod. Lily, wearing the same outfit she had donned for her little musical and had proclaimed was her new look. Jarod, all in black leather and carrying his bag which had his suit and identification to give him access into the FBI. Parker walked next to Jarod. She had changed back into the clothes that she had been brought in with, black mini skirt and white blouse. She had said that it made her feel more comfortable that way. Veronica, who Joan had found out was Lily’s second in charge for this phase, was next to Lily. Mark was next to Parker and Becky next to Veronica. They stopped in front of Joan.

“Are you sure you want to go through with this?” Joan asked Lily knowing that there was no way of changing what fate had started.

“I’m sure. Raines has got to be made to pay. Stop playing mother, we’ll be fine.” Lily rolled her eyes.

“Don’t give me that cocky attitude young lady! You keep sharp and on your toes. Get cocky and you’ll be taking up space in the Centre’s Renewal Wing.” Joan retorted back.

“Noted and accepted. I’ll keep sharp. Has the rest of the team assembled?” Lily asked checking her weapon.

“Team A is already in place at Lairs, preparing it to your specifications. Your team is waiting for you at the landing strip.” Joan responded.

Jarod saw the gun in his sister’s hand and for a moment wished he wasn’t letting her go alone. That he would be there to help in case Raines pulled anything.

Lily, seeing Jarod’s look. “I can take care of myself. You don’t have to be there to hold my hand.”

“I can still worry. This is very dangerous playing games with Raines and Lyle.”

“I’m doing it to save Debbie and all the other children they want to hurt or corrupt. I’m doing this to repay them for what they did to you, Kyle, our family, and me. And I’m doing it for Bobby. Who let me escape and probably ended up like Angelo.” Lily holstered her gun under her jacket.

Parker looked at Jarod. “I’ve got to tell her.”

Jarod looked at Parker and shook his head no. “Don’t Parker.”

“She has the right to know Jarod.” Parker said as she looked into Jarod’s sweet brown eyes. “She has a right to know who she is up against.”

“What don’t you want me to know?” Lily asked perplexed that Jarod would want something kept from her. “And don’t lie to me, I’ll know.”

Parker saw the anger in Jarod’s face. “She has the right to know who she is fighting for.” She turned back to Lily. “You already know that Lyle is my brother.”

“If you want me to leave him out of this because he is your brother, then I can’t promise that. If he gets in my way, then…”

“Lily. Stop. I don’t want you to take it easy on him because he is my brother. If anything, he needs a swift kick in the ass.”

“Then what’s the problem?” Lily looked between Jarod and Parker. “Well? I don’t have time for this.”

“Lyle is Bobby Bowman.” Parker handed her a folder that she had quikly put together of everything she knew on Lyle.

Lily took the folder and opened it. “No. Bobby could never be Lyle.” She quickly closed it and was shaking her head as she started heading down the hallway to leave for the airstrip.

Parker ran after her and grabbed her by the arm to spin her around. “Listen to me.” Lily’s eyes were full of pain, but also with understanding. She knew that Parker wasn’t lying. She pulled her arm away from Parker.

“Parker.” Jarod yelled catching up to them. “Enough.”

“She’s got to know the truth if she‘s going to face him. He’s not Bobby Bowman any more. Between his tortuous adoptive parents and the Triumverate getting a hold of him, that person is gone. They sent him to Asia and taught him all kinds of ....things. How to torture people, how to work them into submission, and how not to care that you’re doing it. He’s a monster.” Parker concluded.

“I remember what he told me about his parents. They were the monsters, not Bobby. I have a plane to get on. Good luck Jarod.” Lily turned and proceeded down the hall.

“Watch your ass. Lyle would as soon burn it as help it. He framed his father for his own death. Don’t think you can trust the old Bobby Bowman. That person doesn’t exist - only Lyle.”

Lily just kept walking down the hallway and disappeared out the door.

“Why the hell do I even try? Like she is ever going to listen to me.” Parker threw her hands up in the air and started walking in the other direction.

Jarod caught up with her and stood in front blocking her way. “Trust her Parker. She just has to digest what you’ve told her and what she is remembering. She’s got alot to process and conflicting information.”

Parker was standing next to Jarod face to face. “Well she better process pretty damn quick or Lyle will eat her for dinner.”

“She’ll do what she has to do. Lyle better be the one who’s careful. Lily may chew him up and spit him out.” Parker was looking up at him and Jarod down at her. Their faces in a position that if they were a little closer, they could kiss.

“Ahem.” Came from behind them. The two parted from each other. “I believe you have a plane to catch Jarod.” Joan was standing behind the couple smiling.

“Ah. Yes. Dr. Stedman. I better get going.” He looked into Parker’s eyes. “I’ll see you when I get back.”

“I’ll be counting the Pez till then.” Parker quipped back.

Jarod smiled, turned to walk down the hall, and went through the same door Lily had. He boarded the Angel’s Hope private jet and buckled in. He was sitting and thinking about Parker as they took off heading for Washington, DC.

*************************

Lily sat on the plane looking out the window. Her team was sitting around a table getting the final plans solidified. The plane had taken off and they were on their way to Louisiana.

She had reviewed what Parker had put in the folder. Her soul troubled by the thought that because she had left him behind, Bobby had been made into Lyle.

“Lily. Earth to Lily.” Veronica called from the table. “Are you going to come over or do we pull this mission off ourselves?” She waited a few moments. “Lily!”

Lily, hearing her name finally, looked in Veronica’s direction. “What? I’m sorry. My mind was somewhere else.”

“Or with someone else. Honey. We really need you focused here right now.” Mark looked at her with love in his eyes.

But Lily returned the look with coldness. “I am focused. Now let’s get this mission set. I have one change in mind from the previous layout…..” Lily walked over to the table and finalized the groups’ plans.

************************

An old song once said…..

The games people play. You take it or you leave it.

Will the strategies of the players be - to take what they’re given and use it?

Or leave it in the middle of the night.
Act 1 Scene 3 by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans. I also have no claim to Pink Floyd and the album “The Wall”. I just like to play with the music and put it back.



An old song once said…..

The games people play. You take it or you leave it.

Will the strategies of the players be - to take what they’re given and use it?

Or leave it in the middle of the night.

*************************


Angels Hope
Act 1 Scene 3




Lily sat on the plane looking out the window. Her team was sitting around a table getting the final plans solidified. The plane had taken off and they were on their way to Louisiana.

She had reviewed what Parker had put in the folder. Her soul troubled by the thought that because she had left him behind, Bobby had been made into Lyle.

“Lily. Earth to Lily.” Veronica called from the table. “Are you going to come over or do we pull this mission off ourselves?” She waited a few moments. “Lily!”

Lily, hearing her name finally, looked in Veronica’s direction. “What? I’m sorry. My mind was somewhere else.”

“Or with someone else. Honey. We really need you focused here right now.” Mark looked at her with love in his eyes.

But Lily returned the look with coldness. “I am focused. Now let’s get this mission set. I have one change in mind from the previous layout…..” Lily walked over to the table and finalized the groups’ plans.

They landed in a private airstrip just outside of New Orleans. They had gotten a report that Raines and Lyle weren’t that much farther behind them in arriving. Lily’s re-routing of the Centre’s planes had saved them some valuable time.

They arrived at the warehouse and got out of the black sedans.

“Miss Lily. The room has been updated to your specifications.” One of the members from Team A reported.

“Good. The door has been booby trapped to what I requested?” Lily said as she headed for the warehouse door.

“Yes and the sound system has just been completed. It is being tested as we speak.”

“Good. I want Mr. Raines to have a taste of what it’s like to be locked up and have music blaring for hours.”

“It’s a good thing this warehouse was already set up for the Marsh sting.” Becky said as she followed Lily into the Warehouse.

Mark went to Reynold, head of Team A, to review that all safety features had been taken care of including alternate escape routes. “Make sure that the guards are positioned on the outer flanks. I’m sure the Sweepers will try to find the alternate access points of the building the minute they get here.”

“We have three undisclosed outer exits.” Reynold pointed to the building layout. “There are secret passages here, here, and here. They have exits/entrances into the various rooms and the main exits that can only be accessed from inside.”

Lily looked past Mark’s shoulder to see the plans. “Layout the same as the last time Reynold?”

“Yes Ma'am. We just took all the windows and doors in this area and bricked them up like you requested. No one will be getting out of there unless they trip the secret exit button.”

“Good. Everyone. Let’s get ready. I believe we’ll be having company soon.”

*************************

Jarod had arrived in Baltimore and rented a motel room just outside Washington DC. He would have to stay the night and head into the FBI headquarters in the morning. His guard, Fred, had accompanied him on the plane and had set up his equipment next to the second bed. He was researching the morning hours for agents at the bureau. It seemed that Angel’s Hope had some connections with the FBI, but Joan did not want them involved at this point of the operation.

Jarod and Fred worked on inputting the information he would need to be able to get access into the site the next day. Jarod created a new name badge and Fred inputted the data into their personnel database. Jarod had felt funny breaking into the database with someone he hardly knew. But Fred seemed to know his way around the systems as well as Jarod did. He was sure that he had done it before. One day after all this was over, he would have to sit down with Lily and find out exactly what Angel’s Hope had themselves involved in.

After they had established Jarod’s identity, Jarod fluffed up the pillows and laid down on the bed opposite the television. Joan had not allowed him to bring his own computer, so he had decided to look at the local news.

Two other agents from Angel’s Hope had taken up residence in the adjoining room. They had ordered a late night snack of pizza and curly fries. Jarod had been chewing on a piece of pizza, but his mind was a million miles away. Parker was on his mind. What was she doing right now? He could still smell the fragrance of her cologne from this afternoon.

The men had gone to bed and Jarod just laid in the dark silence. There had been many nights when he either couldn’t sleep or had his sleep interrupted by the never-ending nightmares. And then it struck him. For the first time in six years, there was no one chasing him. Raines, Lyle, probably Cox and company were chasing Lily and Parker was back at Angel’s Hope. For at least one night he could sleep knowing that no one was going to come busting through the door. Yet with this newfound breath of freedom, all he wanted was to have Parker there.

************************

It was almost twelve midnight when Raines and Lyle pulled up to the warehouse. Lily’s outside motion detectors had signaled that the prey had arrived. Her team was notified and was on ready status. Lyle got out of the car first, followed by the man named Cox, and then Raines who had positioned his air tank out side the car door before getting out.

Lily positioned herself just inside the front door. There was minimal lighting. When she knew that they were close enough to see her at the door, she stepped into the light. The Sweepers were the first to approach the door. Lily had slipped into the secret passage that was located just behind the front door. Once the Sweepers were inside, she operated the computer controls to block them off and create a separate path for the rest of their company. Raines approached the door and Lyle followed, pulling his weapon. Cox already had his weapon drawn and was ready to shoot anything that moved. As they entered the doorway, they could hear what they thought were the Sweepers in the room up ahead. They were being given the all clear.

The room was sparsely decorated. A table with chairs sat in the middle of the room, a couch, and a small table in front of the couch. On the table was a plate of what looked like meatloaf and another bowl covered with some sort of sealed lid. The lid had been mechanically sealed down. Through the cover it looked like chocolate pudding. There were two curtains hanging on either side of the door.

“Where did she go?” Raines wheezed.

“This place is huge, she could be hiding anywhere. I don’t like this, something isn’t right.” Lyle was surveying the room around them. “Sam. Where are you? Report.” Lyle called out into the darkness.

Cox was checking the room with his gun drawn. “I’d say we’re being set up. Let’s get out of here.”

The group went to turn to leave, when the door they came in closed and locked shut. Cox and Lyle ran to the door and tried to open it. “Damn.” Yelled Lyle as he punched the door. “I knew something wasn’t right.”

A full-length mirror in the room lit up and Lily’s image appeared within the frame. “Welcome gentleman. I’m so glad that you accepted my invitation. I’m sure that you are wondering where your Pretender is. Well I have to say that I don’t want to give him up. He has been telling me some extraordinary stories about the Centre and especially you Dr. Raines.”

Raines, Cox and Lyle went over to the mirror and looked for a way to open it.

“It is pointless to try and get to me through the mirror. Consider me Alice having gone through the looking glass. You won’t be leaving my tea party until you solve my riddle. And while you are solving the riddle, you’ll be getting a dose of your own medicine.

Suddenly the room was blasted with loud music. We don’t need no education. We don’t need no thought control. No dark sarcasm in the classroom. Teacher, leave those kids alone……….. The music was set at a deafening tone. Raines, Cox, and Lyle grabbed their ears. Lyle went to the curtains that hung in the room and pulled them open. The window had been bricked up. Cox had gone to the other window. Also bricked up.

“We’re trapped.” Screamed Lyle over All in all you’re just another brick in the wall. “How stupid could I have been to follow you?” He leered at Raines as the music continued. How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat.

“What riddle is she talking about? Do you see any paper or anything that would represent a puzzle?” Cox asked trying to get a handle on the situation.

Lyle took his weapon and fired at the mirror. The glass shattered and went everywhere. Behind it was nothing but brick. “Damn.” The men started checking the rest of the room and the adjoining room. It was the same in both rooms – windows bricked and the door at the end of the last room was bricked closed.

Hours passed as the men were trapped with the loud music. The three men had stayed in the front room and the music was wearing their nerves down. They had looked for the source of the music or the speakers, but could find neither. Cox was lying on the couch, trying to cover his ears. Lyle had randomly fired his weapon around the room, but couldn’t find any escape routes. Raines was at the table, covering his ears with his jacket.

Lyle was pacing the front room where the three men were, when he spotted Lily standing in the middle of the second room. He ran into the room and before the other men could join him, the door slammed shut. He tried the door to find it locked. Lyle turned around and Lily was gone.

“Who the hell are you?” Lyle screamed over the music. Suddenly the music changed. Lyle recognized that it was still Pink Floyd. He looked around the room and a mirror behind the desk glowed with Lily’s image. She was singing to him. He walked over so that he was face to face with her.

Hey you. Out there in the cold, getting lonely, getting old, Can you feel me?

Hey you. Standing there alone, with allies unknown, Can you feel me?

Hey you. Don’t help them to bury the light. Don’t give in without a fight.

Open your heart, I’m coming home.

But it was only fantasy.

The wall was too high, as you could see.

No matter how I tried, you could not break free.

And the Boogeyman ate into your brain.

Hey you, Out there on the road, always doing what you’re told, Can you help me?

Hey you, Out there beyond the wall, trying to catch me in the hall, Can you help me?

Hey you, don’t tell me there’s no hope at all.

Together we stand, divided we fall.

Lily’s image disappeared. Lyle reached for the mirror, as if he would be able to touch her. But only felt the coldness of the mirror.

Lily stood on the opposite side of the mirror and put her hand on his. “I hope you figure it out.”

Mark came up behind her. “I think it is time to go. I think he will figure it out soon.” Mark had been watching the monitor and knew that Lily had contacted him. Something that wasn’t in their original plan. He also realized what she had tried to do. A hint of who she was. The question was whether Lyle would respond positively to that knowledge or use it against her. The two left with their team for the airport.

Lyle thought for a moment. He hadn’t heard the word Boogeyman in years. Not since, he tried to think, but the memories were so fuzzy. Then the puzzled clicked. The puzzle was the music. He went to the door and this time it opened.

The original music was still playing in this room. Raines and Cox were fighting over whose fault it was that they were in this situation. “Will the two of you shut up!” Lyle screamed. He went over to the plate of meat. “If you want out of here, start eating.” He shoved meat at both of them.

“Has the music driven you insane Lyle.” Raines questioned. “I’m not eating this.”

“Listen to the music you tank breathing fool. You can’t have any pudding till you eat your meat.”

A light went on in Raines mind. “Cox. Eat you idiot.” When everything had been consumed, a laser light shot toward the bowl. The lid opened and exposed the pudding.

Lyle looked at Raines with a triumphant look. He started scooping out the pudding with the meat plate and at the bottom of the bowl was a button. Lyle pushed it and the music stopped. The men then heard a click of a lock.

Cox went to the door and opened it. When he went back into the original hallway they had entered in, he could see where another door had been concealed. Raines and Lyle followed him. He opened that door to find Sam and the other Sweepers sitting in reclining chairs, eating munchies, and watching sports on a wide screen TV.

“Get up and get us out of here!” Screamed Raines, who could barely hear himself since having to listen to the deafening music. The Sweepers got up clumsily, embarrassed to have been caught in the situation. Raines and Cox followed the Sweepers through the door.

Lyle looked back into the warehouse, sure that after the mirrored encounter the woman had fled. She was smart enough to know that once she gave Lyle the hint and that he would figure out the exit. He would have a team come through the place with a fine toothcomb. He had to have this woman.

************************

The sunrise had not yet broken, but Jarod was already awake. Fred had heard him stir and asked if he would like to go to breakfast. The two men went to the little diner that was attached to the motel. The woman had asked Jarod if he wanted his eggs over easy or poached. Jarod had replied that he did not care how the eggs were handled as long as they were scrambled dry. Fred had looked at him as if he had three heads. The two men were joined by the other Retrievers, which is what Dr. Stedman had called them. The Centre’s equivalent to a Sweeper.

After breakfast, the group left for the FBI office. Jarod needed to access their database and create an investigation file. He walked through the security clearance area and proceeded to the Information Technology department. Fred was explaining to the area supervisor that he and Jarod were there to do a maintenance upgrade. Jarod found an office, with the help of an area secretary, and started working on inputting his data. He assigned the agent’s name that Lily had given him. When he had completed his download, he found Fred and the two men headed for the Baltimore airport.

Jarod waited anxiously as Fred spoke to the plane in route from Louisiana. “Yes. We will be landing in approximately an hour. Yes. I’ll tell him. Out.” Fred turned to Jarod. “Miss Lily says to tell you – I told you so.”

“I told you so?” Jarod asked.

“Yes. That she could handle things herself. Their mission was a success.”

“That’s great. Then phase two can happen.” Jarod sat back in his seat. He found that his heart rate was increasing. Soon he would see Parker again.

************************

Lily sat in the seat looking out the window. She knew that she should be rejoicing in her victory. She had officially spoon fed Raines his own medicine. But she had also seen Bobby on the monitor. His gun drawn, shooting around the room, and the way he had shot at her image in the mirror. Maybe Mark was right. Maybe Bobby was gone and the only thing left was Lyle. But there was something different when she had gotten him alone. When he touched the second mirror, for a moment she thought she could see Bobby.

Mark sat in his seat across from Lily. He watched her looking out the window. She was thinking about him again and a pang of jealousy hit. She cared more about a boy she hadn’t seen in 30 years, than him. Lily may not see it, but he did. Lyle was as bad, if not worse, than Raines. In the end he would have to take care of Lyle, because Lily would never be able to.

************************

Lyle sat looking out the window of the Centre jet. That woman’s image was in his mind. He was analyzing what the whole situation meant. The music had to mean something. It had to do with control or possibly her control. At one time maybe she had been associated with the Centre or somewhere else that had confined her. She was retaliating to a situation she had been placed in.

And the second song. It had been meant for him. Just him. He was remembering the lines he had heard.

Hey you. Standing there alone, with allies unknown, Can you feel me?

Had it been a line of acknowledgement? Was she telling him that she could be an ally? Impossible. She had the one thing he needed to take charge of the Centre. To get rid of Raines. But she had said if he could feel her. Like there should be a connection. Like he felt there was a connection. Something from his past? He thought about the next part.

Don’t help them to bury the light. Don’t give in without a fight.

Lyle suddenly had a flash from his childhood.

A young girl running down the hall, frantically looking for an escape route. He was coming up the hall, and he recognizes her. Lyle could hear a man issuing orders and men quickly descending on the girl. He had tried to struggle to get free. To help the girl. He knows that she is his friend. Lyle stomps on the foot of the guard and runs to her. He puts her behind him, protecting her. The guards huddle around them trying to get them apart, the whole time the two children fighting their way to stay free.

She says to him, “Don’t give in without a fight.”

Amongst the screams and tears, a man was screaming more orders. The guards finally separated the two as they are screaming for each other. In the end he had sacrificed himself to protect her. He remembered having an injection shot into him and seeing her face as he dropped into unconsciousness.

Open your heart, I’m coming home.

Lyle bolted straight up in his chair. The memory had been so vivid. He recognized the place where he had been. In SL27. He had been there as a boy. And she had said she was coming home. The Centre at some point had been her home.

“Something wrong Lyle?” Raines wheezed from his seat.

Lyle turned and looked at Raines. And in his mind he heard part of the music, the lyrics dancing in his mind.

And the Boogeyman ate into your brain.

The girl. She had referred to the man that was hurting them as the Boogeyman. Lyle flashed to that encounter again. Mentally he looked at the man giving him the injection and he saw the man’s face. In that moment Lyle realized who the Boogeyman was and the man’s name was Dr. Raines.


************************

Strategy

Thesis #1 - Things that don’t kill you, make you stronger.

Thesis #2 – That which made you stronger, usually has pissed you off enough to seek revenge.

The new player in the game - Revenge.
Act 2 Scene 1 by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Strategy

Thesis #1 - Things that don’t kill you, make you stronger.

Thesis #2 – That which made you stronger, usually has pissed you off enough to seek revenge.

The new player in the game - Revenge.



Angels Hope
Act 2 Scene 1




Lyle bolted straight up in his chair. The memory had been so vivid. He recognized the place where he had been. In SL27. He had been there as a boy. And she had said she was coming home. The Centre at some point had been her home.

“Something wrong Lyle?” Raines wheezed from his seat.

Lyle turned and looked at Raines. And in his mind he heard part of the music, the lyrics dancing in his mind.

And the Boogeyman ate into your brain.

The girl. She had referred to the man that was hurting them as the Boogeyman. Lyle flashed to that encounter again. Mentally he looked at the man giving him the injection and he saw the man’s face. In that moment Lyle realized who the Boogeyman was and the man’s name was Dr. Raines.


“Lyle. You look as if you’ve seen a ghost.” Raines shifted in his seat, his air tank rattling as he re-adjusted. “Did you think of something that can help us catch that woman?”

Lyle debated with himself. Should he tell Raines what he had remembered? It was his job to tell Raines about the memory. “No. I just had a muscle spasm.”

“You should have one of those oriental girls give you a back massage when you get back to the Centre. Have we received any information from the Sweeper teams yet?” Raines asked, but Lyle was looking out the window again. Raines made a mental note of this and went back to writing the notes of the day on his laptop.

Why had he lied to Raines? Something gnawed at him from the back of his mind. The girl………she was a friend. But he didn’t have any friends. Friends were a liability. Why couldn’t he remember her name? But one thing was for sure – his lack of memory. When he got back to the Centre, there would be answers to find.

************************

Lily and her team had arrived in Colorado in the wee hours of the morning. She looked at her watch and knew that Jarod would probably be up in a while. He would then start his mission in Washington. She knew that he did this “Pretending” thing all the time, but she was still nervous.

Joan met them at the Angel’s Hope terminal exit. “How did everything go?”

“Fine. He was successfully irritated and I believe thoroughly pissed off. Mission accomplished.” Lily had replied flippantly as she kept heading towards the main corridors of the facility.

“The idea was to keep him occupied, not get him angrier.” Joan said as she tried to keep up with Lily.

Lily stopped and looked at Joan. “Maybe that was your agenda, it wasn’t mine. Now, if you don’t mind I’m tired and am going to go get some sleep. I want to be awake when Jarod gets back.” Lily turned and stomped off down the hallway.

The remainder of the team acknowledged greetings to Joan and departed into Angel’s Hope. Mark was the last person to reach Joan. “She made contact with him. She disobeyed orders and indirectly contacted him.”

“Did you expect anything less?” Replied Joan as the two headed down the hallway.

“She knows who he is. He’s the person who killed her brother.” Mark pleaded his case.

“But he’s also something even more powerful than that.” Joan stopped and faced Mark. “He’s her first love.”

************************

Sydney walked into Broots’ office. “How are things with Debbie? Have you seen anything suspicious?”

“No. Maybe she was right and it was just her imagination. I watched again this morning to see if anyone was following us, but I didn’t see anything. And Debbie says she didn’t see the car she had seen before. Maybe I have officially lost it from all the years of working here. I’m beginning to see conspiracies where there aren’t any.” Broots shook his head at the thought that the Centre had finally driven him insane.

“I wouldn’t let down your guard so soon Broots. You know how things tend to come around here and I’d hate for them to get the better of you because you let your guard down. Something is going on here. I was trying to take a flight out to see that statue company and Lyle stopped me.”

Broots had a hurt look on his face. “You tried going without me? I thought that, well you know, that you trusted me.”

“I do trust you Broots. But with everything that was going on with Debbie, I didn’t think you should be away from her.”

“Oh. Thank you for thinking about Debbie and I, but next time tell me Syd. I don’t need another friend disappearing and me not knowing where they are.”

“Well we know that Miss Parker and Jarod are with Joan Stedman. Joan is a fine woman, they are in good hands. I just wish I knew where that was.”

“According to Bart at the plane hanger, Raines and Lyle took off last night after that woman on the video. But I saw Raines this morning and he didn’t look all that great.”

“I reviewed the transmission and believe that whoever this woman is she has a personal vendetta against Raines. And I haven’t seen Lyle here at all today. I just can’t figure out what that woman’s connection is to Joan.” Sydney thought for a moment. “In either case, I think we better step up our search through Lyle’s files. Maybe even Raines. There is something going on. I can feel it. Somehow all of this is connected. If you find anything, call me in my office.”

“Sure Sydney. I just wish it was as easy to do as to say.” Broots buried his head into the computer and went back to trying to hack into Lyle’s files.

************************

Lily fell into a restless sleep the minute she hit the pillow. There were so many things running through her mind. Visions of what had happened to her at the Centre. The room they had put her in to play the music that would have driven her crazy, except for that special place she would hide in her mind. Bobby had taught her how to do that. The room had an observation window in it. They had watched her during every experiment, every minute she had been there. Watching the torture they were inflicting and her reaction.

Then she remembered standing in back of the mirror looking at Lyle. An observation window of her own. Now she had been the capturer, not the prisoner. And in her mind she saw standing next to him, who he had been. That little boy who she had befriended and who had technically given her her first kiss (even if it had been on her cheek). And then in the distance behind the two, a figure came into view. And as the figure came closer, she saw the face of the man. He looked just like the picture Jarod had shown her – it was Kyle.

She took her fists and hit the mirror screaming. “How could you kill my brother? I never even got to know him.”

*************************

Jarod had arrived back at Angel’s Hope and was greeted by Mark. He had been told that Lily again was in a nightmare state. He was buzzed into Lily’s room and heard her say that someone had killed her brother. He went to her side and shook her gently. “Lily. Wake up. It’s Jarod. I’m OK. No one has killed me.”

Lily woke with a start and saw Jarod looking down at her. She sat up and hugged Jarod. At least she had her one brother left.

“It’s OK. It was only a nightmare.” Jarod tried to console her.

She let go of Jarod and tried to regain her composure. “I know.”

Jarod noticed the change in body mechanics. “You don’t have to put up that defense with me.” He lifted her chin. “You’re my sister.”

“I’m not putting up any defenses. Fright is a sign of weakness.” Jarod frowned. “What?” Lily now frowned as she questioned him.

“You’re spouting Raines again.” He smiled trying to get her to smile.

“Ugh. I can’t help all this stuff that is stuck in my head.”

“I know. How did things go in New Orleans?” Jarod walked over to the dresser and got her a glass of water. “Mark asked me to give these to you. He noticed you were in pain in the plane.” Jarod handed her a bottle of pills. “You over did it, didn’t you? Can I check the stitches?”

Lily handed the bottle back and got up off the bed. “If I wanted two mother’s, I would go down to the nursery and get them. The two of you think I am a fragile china doll. I don’t need to be babied. I know my own body.”

“I’m not saying that you are a baby. I’m saying that I am concerned that you are pushing yourself and that you haven’t healed yet. And if you are in pain, no one here is going to think that you are weak. They are going to think that your body is sending your thick brain signals to slow down.”

Lily looked at him coyly and punched him in the arm. “If I have a thick brain, it’s only because it genetically runs in the family.” They both laughed. “Leave the pills on the night stand. If I need them, I’ll take them.”

“OK. See it’s all right to laugh. Seriously, how did New Orleans go?”

“Functionally it went as planned. The Sweepers were detained and Raines went for the alternate path. I believe he was convinced of my resolve. Now for the next phase…..”

“The next phase? I thought you were going to keep him distracted while I planted the information in Washington. That was it. Lily, you can’t keep doing this. You’re going to get caught.”

“Jarod. One distraction is not going to be enough. Washington is going to take a little while to complete. He will be right after your Debbie Broots again. I plan to keep him away from Debbie and any other child he thinks he is going to destroy.”

Jarod pulled the chair close to the bed to sit down. “Sit down, rest, and tell me what you plan to do next?”

Lily came and sat on the bed. She looked out into the room. “Mark. You can start recording now, if you haven’t already started.”

Jarod gave her a stern look. “You should let up on him. He really cares for you. I can see it in his eyes.”

“Someone who cares for you doesn’t betray you.” Lily lowered her head and Jarod could see the hurt in her face.

“Sometimes a person doesn’t have a choice in what they have to do, but the outcomes of their actions hurt just the same.” Now Jarod’s face showed the hurt.

“Seems we’re in the same boat, you and I. Both loving someone who has done something to hurt us. Maybe it’s our lot in life.”

“I’m not giving up.” Jarod look soulfully into her eyes. “You shouldn’t either.”

Lily flashed a mental picture of Bobby and then Mark. “I’m not. But I need to work some things out first. Like our next mission in Operation Drive Raines Crazy. So this is what I was thinking……..”

************************

Lyle was at his computer at home. He had been accessing the adoption records for Nebraska and Delaware, but couldn’t find his name anywhere in their records. “Where was I adopted out of old man?” He knew that Parker would know, but he wouldn’t find her till he found the mystery woman.

His first clear memory was in Nebraska, but he was about ten years old then. Where were his memories before then? He had never questioned it before, which also disturbed him. He knew that these were the symptoms of someone who had gone through the Renewal Wing. There was a part of his past he didn’t know and he was going to find out what it was.

Lyle turned off his computer and grabbed his coat. He was going to get answers if he had to kill the wheezing sack of bones to do it. He laughed to himself – his sister did have a way of describing people. He wondered how she was. He shook his head as he locked the door. “Concern is a sign of weakness.” He proceeded to his car.

************************


Parker sat at her mother’s desk. When she had asked the guard if Jarod had returned, he had told her yes. But that he had gone to Lily’s room straight from the plane. She had talked herself into thinking she didn’t care if he came to see her first or not. That it didn’t matter that there was no one else at Angel’s Hope who they both knew. But Jarod had been embraced and had become one of the family. He had found another sister and Parker had been pushed to the side. She was not use to not being the one person he sought after. He had been leaving her presents, clues, and information for six years. She had found that she liked to hear his voice when she picked up her phone and responded with her usual “What”.

But she also knew that she had hurt him. She had chosen her father over him. She had let the Sweepers walk him away into the plane in Morocco. What was worse was she knew the truth. She had chosen the Centre over him. And not really chosen it, had been afraid to counter what her father and Raines were doing. She had given up his freedom for hers. But after her father had jumped with the scrolls she knew that she had made a mistake. That the only person who had cared for her, been with her through thick and thin had been Jarod.

Parker got up from the desk and walked in front of her mother’s picture. “Why am I doing this to myself mother? I am a strong woman and I don’t need a man to complete me. Whether it is my father or Jarod.” But in the back of her mind she could hear her mother weeping. Such sadness radiated through her. “Fine. If you don’t want me to rely on myself, then how do I get to where I am suppose to be?”

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

“Come in.” Parker yelled as she headed back to the desk.

The door opened and Jarod stuck his head in. “You busy?”

Parker just sat at the desk and smiled.

************************

Joan was walking out of the elevator on one of the sublevels. She had been notified that two new arrivals had been brought in from Atlanta by one of the teams stationed there. The woman had been injured running from one of the Centre’s Sweeper teams.

“How is the woman doing?” Joan was reviewing the file that her assistant Sean had handed her.

“She had a bullet wound in the left shoulder and facial lacerations that we treated in Atlanta before bringing her here. The man was unharmed, but refuses to leave her side.” They were approaching the medical area where the woman was being moved from when the doors swung open. An unconscious woman with her face and shoulder bandaged laid on the gurney. The one thing Joan noticed was the long red hair coming out from under the bandages.

Joan took the chart off the gurney and reviewed it. Joan looked up and addressed the young man that was at the woman’s side. “Hello. My name is Dr. Stedman. I am the facilitator here at Angel’s Hope.” Joan looked down at the woman. “She’s mighty lucky that the bullet hit her shoulder. With some therapy she should regain full use of her arm. Are you alright…Do you care to share your name?”

The young man looked at Joan. “There are men looking for us. Dangerous men. My mother said that this would be a safe place to come. That we could trust you.”

Joan smiled. “And your mother was right. We can protect you from the Centre. If you feel uncomfortable giving us your names, we can create alias’ for you till you trust us your with your real names. We’ll refer to you as Nathan and your mother as Mary. Will that be all right?”

The young man looked as if his mind were somewhere else. He finally came back to the conversation. “Yes. That will be fine.”

“Your mother will have to stay here under observation. We are putting you in a special secure section of Angel’s Hope so that you can retain your privacy. Let the staff know if you have any needs. We have a wide arrange of services including counseling if you need someone to talk to.” Joan gave that pleasant therapist smile. “I promise things can only get better.”

The young man looked at the woman on the gurney and then back at Joan. “Yes, I believe they will.”

************************

Strategy has brought the five players together.

Fate has his destiny unraveling before him.

Truth will be presented to the one who is seeking it.

Trust must allow for emotions to be felt and revealed.

Hope has just arrived.

Revenge is seeking justice.
Act 2 Scene 2 by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans. I also do not own any music by Phil Collins including Against All Odds.

Authors Note: As promised here is the next installment of my Pretender saga! Do you like do you hate? Should I stop torturing you all with the Chapters LOL Please let me know? Now on with the show!



Chapter 24: The Game: Act II Scene 2 (Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses)


Strategy has brought the five players together.

Fate has his destiny unraveling before him.

Truth will be presented to the one who is seeking it.

Trust must allow for emotions to be felt and revealed.

Hope has just arrived.

Revenge is seeking justice.

*************************

Angels Hope
Act 2 Scene 2



“Your mother will have to stay here under observation. We are putting you in a special secure section of Angel’s Hope so that you can retain your privacy. Let the staff know if you have any needs. We have a wide arrange of services including counseling if you need someone to talk to.” Joan gave that pleasant therapist smile. “I promise things can only get better.”

The young man looked at the woman on the gurney and then back at Joan. “Yes, I believe they will.”

“Well again. Welcome and I hope that you will be comfortable with your accommodations.” Joan watched as they wheeled the woman down the hall with the young man at her side. “It’s refreshing to see such devotion from a son.” She turned to Sean. “Please put regular protocols in place. Watch them. I’m sure they are legitimate with the woman’s injuries being so severe, but better safe than sorry.”

“Yes Dr. Stedman. I’ll let Security know. How is Lily?” Sean asked as he marked his paperwork that would be forwarded to Security.

“She’ll be fine Sean. Thank you for asking. It will just take some time to adjust to her change in attitude. But everything is going somewhat as planned.” Joan started down the hallway. “Sean. Please get me a copy of Mark’s latest report. I’d like to review it before dinner.”

“Certainly Dr. Stedman.” The efficient assistant headed off to get the report and Stedman headed for her office.

************************

Jarod came fully into the room. He noticed Parker sitting at the desk as if she had been there her whole life. “That desk becomes you.”

“It’s become my home away from home. Not like I have anywhere to go or people to see.” Parker retorted coolly.

Jarod picked up on her coolness. “I’m sorry that you are feeling alone. It’s just that so many things are going on.”

“You don’t have to feel sorry for anyone Pez Boy. And who said that I was feeling alone. I don’t feel anything.” Parker got up from the desk.

“Maybe that’s part of the problem.” Jarod looked at her with sorrowful eyes. “Maybe you need to start feeling things. I’m worried about Lily too. She’s become reclusive. She use to feel everything and now she’s put up all these defenses.”

“Maybe it’s better that way. No one will be able to hurt her.” Parker moved around the desk and walked over to her mother’s picture.

Jarod took in a deep breath. He knew that it would be difficult reaching her and did he really want to keep trying. She was making it obvious that she wasn’t interested in…anything. “Your mother wouldn’t be happy to see the two of you like this. She loved you and cared for Lily. Wanted the best for both of you.”

“Well funny how my mother loved me so much that she brought Lily here instead of me.” Parker just kept looking at the picture, as the words came out that she had been thinking all this time.

Jarod realized what she was saying and moved closer to Parker. “You’re jealous of Lily.”

Parker swung around. “To hell with you. I don’t get jealous!”

“Your mother loved you very much. You can’t believe in your heart that she didn’t. I don’t think she had a choice in bringing Lily here first. Her life was in danger from Raines.” Jarod moved so that he was face to face with Parker. He took her hands. “You and I in certain terms were safe. Sydney somewhat protecting me and your father, in his way, protecting you. I’m sure she wanted to bring you here, but something went wrong after she faked her death in the elevator.”

Parker pulled her hands away and turned from Jarod. “It doesn’t matter.” There was a sadness in her voice that Jarod recognized always happened when she talked about her mother. “She’s dead.”

Jarod turned her around. “And because your father is dead, you’ll never get the answers. You’re wrong Parker. The answers are here. You just have to look for them. This is where her last thoughts before her death are stored. Her journals, notes, personal items. They’re all here for you. She preserved them for you. Joan didn’t leave this room like this just because she wanted a shrine. I’m sure she hoped one day you would be here. Getting the answers you have been looking for all this time.”

“I’m tired of the search Jarod.” Parker broke free of his grip. “It gets me no where but to more misery. The Centre has my life wrapped around its little finger and I can’t ever break free. I lived my whole life trying to get Daddy’s attention only to find out that he isn’t my father. He’s my uncle. And that the wheezing sack of bones I’ve detested my whole life is my real father. It makes me ill.” Parker slid down the front of the desk onto the floor. “I just don’t want to do this anymore. I’m tired.”

Lily had knocked on the door between her office and Catherine Parker’s. She could hear voices, so she opened the office door slightly. Lily listened to Parker and quietly re-shut the door. Lily put her back up against the door and lowered her head.

She knew that Jarod loved Parker and that Parker had the protective walls up that Jarod kept talking about. The walls that surround you because of the Centre. She was going to have to get them alone. Without all the interruptions of what was going on. They deserved the happiness that had eluded them for so long. The happiness they didn’t have a chance at mainly because Catherine Parker saved her instead of them.

She went to the entrance door of her office and opened it up. Larry was standing there.

“Is there something I can do for you Miss Lily?” Larry asked.

“Yes. I want you to radio to the commissary and get the following items set up for me…”

*************************

Lyle strode through the doors of the Centre from the parking garage. He was tired of being played and not being in control of his life. He pushed the button for the elevator and waited impatiently for the doors to open. Raines was going to give him the information he wanted.

The elevator doors opened and out walked Raines accompanied by two of the men from the Sweeper team. “Nice of you to show up today Lyle.”

“I have to talk to you. Now.” Lyle hissed subtly, his face showing his determination.

“Whatever it is Lyle, unless it has to do with that woman, it’s going to have to wait. I have an appointment.”

“You can be late. I want answers.” Lyle made an aggressive move towards Raines.

The two Sweepers accompanying Raines moved into a protective stance. “You’re in no position to order me anywhere.” Raines started to walk away and turned back to Lyle. “I don’t have time for your games boy. Bring me tangible evidence or you can be removed permanently from my sight. Remember who’s in charge here.” Raines turned back around and headed for his car that was now waiting. The two Sweepers watched Lyle as Raines got into the car then followed him into the car.

Lyle, steaming from the encounter, waited for Raines’ car to drive out of sight and then punched the column. He started shaking his hand. “I wouldn’t count on it old man. You’re not going to be in charge for long.”

He pushed the button again for the elevator and the doors opened. He was in a bad mood now and someone was going to be the brunt of it. He would have to find Angelo or Broots. They were always good for a tongue-lashing. Sydney always challenged him. He was no fun to harass. The elevator doors opened and he proceeded to his office. His secretary wasn’t at her desk. Another thing he would have to correct. He got inside and slammed the doors shut. He turned around to see a vase of flowers sitting on his desk.

“What the hell is this? Lilies? The flower for death.” A card was sitting amongst the beautiful flowers. He pulled out the card and read it out loud. “Turn on your computer.” Lyle went and put his computer on. The main desktop screen came up. “Nothing. What is going on in this place? I’m going to get my gun and….” Suddenly her face came on the screen.

“Hello Bobby....”

************************

There was a knock on the office door. Parker quickly got up off the floor and straightened herself. Jarod went to the door and opened it. Standing there was Becky.

“Hi Jarod. Am I interrupting anything?” Becky peeked into the room to see Parker rounding the end of her mother’s desk.

“No. We were just talking. What can I do for you?” Jarod motioned for her to come into the room.

“No. I can’t come in. Lily was wondering if you and Miss Parker could come down to the arboretum. She has to talk to you both.”

“Is there something wrong Becky?” Jarod asked getting concerned.

“Nothing wrong. She wanted to get your input on something that she has been working on.” Becky said with a smile.

“I don’t know if this is the best time Becky. Maybe I can come by in a little bit and…” Jarod started but was interrupted by Parker pushing him out of the way.

“Now is perfect. Peachy.” She went right past Jarod and into the hallway.

“I guess now is a good time.” Jarod shook his head, following Becky out of the door way and down the hall. The women in his life had a habit of dodging important conversations. The group entered the elevator and got off on sublevel 6.

Becky escorted them to the arboretum doors. She opened the door and allowed Jarod and Parker to pass. Without entering the room, she closed the door behind them. She took out a cell phone and hit speed dial. “They’re in.”

Lily was sitting in the control room for the arboretum. She typed onto the keyboard and secured all the locks. After her breakdown in there, Joan had made the control panels inaccessible from the room. So she had complete control of the exit.

Jarod turned and noticed that Becky had not entered with them. He went back to the glass door and tried to open it. It was locked. “What’s going on?” He tried the door handle again to no avail. “Becky!” He yelled through the glass, but the woman was nowhere in sight.

“Jarod. Come here.” Parker yelled from further inside the room.

When he approached the room, he finally saw what Parker was looking at. There were white twinkling light in the trees, soft lighting, sounds of crickets and night life, and a beautiful table set in the middle of the room. There were two candles, fine china, and crystal glasses. All he could say was. “What?”

“Because it’s time the two of you make up your minds.” Came Lily’s voice through the loud speakers hidden somewhere in the room. “ It’s sink or swim. The two of you have been dancing around each other and neither will express your true feelings. So now, you don’t get out until you do. This way you know where each of you stands. I’m voting for the theory: united we stand, divided we fall. But that’s just my choice .”

“Lily. Open these doors!” Jarod yelled. His eyes were pleading while he looked for the room cameras. “Don’t do this.”

“It’s my fault the two of you are where you are in your lives. Now I’m correcting that.” Lily’s voice sounded hurt.

Parker thought for a moment. “You heard what we said in the office didn’t you? Were you watching us like you are now?”

“No. I would never do that. Yes, I accidentally heard part of your conversation in the office. I knocked on the door, but you didn’t hear me. When I opened the door, I overheard your conversation. So I didn’t want to disturb you. But I’m correcting part of what’s wrong now. The two of you need to resolve your relationship.”

“Relationship. I can’t have any relationships in my life Lily. Love is a luxury I’m not allowed.” Parker tried to explain, not sounding very convincing.

“The only person stopping you is you. Raines, Lyle, the Centre. They have no control over you now. Soon Raines will be out of the picture. And if he’s not, he’s got to suspect that you are helping me by now. So either way, you will both have to rely on each other. Better that you fight together than separately. So I’m going for now. But I’m going to leave you with a little musical incentive.” There was silence for a moment and then Lily came on. “And brother dear. This music is perfect for slow dancing. Hint. Hint.”

“I’m going to kill her.” Is all Jarod said.

“Stand in line.” Parker retorted.

************************

“You just have to control everything around you, don’t you?”

Lily turned around to see Becky standing behind her. “I don’t control everything.” Lily half smiled, half smirked.

“What do you call this?” Becky pointed to the monitor.” Now I’m only helping you this time because I think you’re right. I can feel it generating off both of them. But they’ve been running and chasing each other for so long, they won’t admit that they’re in love.” Becky thought for a moment. “I also did the other favor you asked me to, even though I don’t totally agree with you. I had Claudia send the flowers and the jamming device is in place on the vase. Are you sure this is going to work? His conditioning may be irreversible after all these years.”

Lily turned back to the keyboard and started typing. The signal was generating from the vase. “It’s the only way I know to reach him. I know Bobby is in there somewhere. Just like my memories were. I have to hope that by jamming his chip those memories will surface. We need his alliance.”

“We need or you need?” Becky asked already knowing the answer. “I think you need the redemption more than he needs the saving. Remember I have been your sister forever and I know you, besides being able to read you like a book.”

Lily turned from her desk. “Sometimes I wish I could turn off that gift of yours. You know me too well. Either way – I need him out of the way to get to Raines.”

There was a knock on the door. Becky started heading for the door. “There is also something else that needs to get fixed.” She opened the door and Mark was standing there. “Take your own advice. Resolve issues. Night.” Becky closed the door behind her.

“Wait!” Lily got up and ran past Mark. She opened the door to find Larry standing there. She went to go past him and was blocked.

“Sorry Miss Lily. I have strict orders from Miss Becky not to let you out of this room until she says so.” Larry said standing his ground.

“And since when does she have authority over me?” Lily’s temper flared.

“Since she has Dr. Stedman’s authorization And she told me to tell you this. Don’t dish out what you don’t want served back to yourself.”

Lily stood there in shock and then broke out laughing. Only Becky would use her own mission against her. “I’m sorry Larry. I didn’t mean to get flippant with you.”

“Quite alright Miss Lily. Have a good talk.” Larry smiled and closed the door as Lily stepped back into the room.

“I’m sorry Lily. I didn’t know this is what Becky called me up here for. She said that you needed me to help you with the mission.” Mark had sincerity in his voice and Lily knew that he was telling the truth.

“It’s OK. Becky has a sick sense of irony in her. I have to get back to work.” Lily went over and sat at the console. “I have to monitor a project and I have to start the music for Jarod and Miss Parker.”

“You can bury yourself in your work all you want. But eventually you’re going to have to talk to me. Tell me what’s happening and how you feel about us.” He pulled one of the chairs out from the corner. “Or Becky is never going to let us out of here.”

************************

“Hello Bobby. And don’t try to deny it. It’s just you and me here. I know who you were. The problem is that you don’t know who you were. For a long time neither did I. Raines messed with our bodies and our minds trying to make us the perfect puppets.” Lily looked coyly through the screen. “But we’re no puppets. Never were, never will be. You and I are a lot alike. We fight for what we want.”

Lyle pulled his chair in and settled in to hear this. “So you think you know me so well.”

“I’m banking that you are not going to rat on me to Raines. I think you’ll be remembering the Boogeyman as well as I do soon. He’s not to be trusted, but I’m sure you already know that. I have to tell you something very important. There is a way that he is controlling you. There was a chip surgically placed in our heads. If you go to a hospital or private doctor’s office and have an x-ray scan done, then you’ll see the device. It stimulates the parts of your brain that control anger. I’m not going to get all technical. Just go somewhere that isn’t run by the Centre. If they catch wind that you know, you’ll be in more danger than me. You have to believe me. I don’t want any more harm to come to you. You’re special.”

Lyle sat there dumbfounded.

************************

“She’s right you know Parker.” Jarod said as he turned to Parker. “We keep avoiding just telling each other how we feel. I tried in Carthis and at the airport, but…” Jarod looked away from Parker.

“I can’t believe she did this. Are you sure she’s your sister? More like she wants to be the damn host of Love Connection.” Parker was moving away from Jarod.

Jarod turned his head back around and followed Parker. “See. You’re doing it again. I try to talk to you and you avoid the subject. It’s always the same - running and chasing - regardless of who’s doing it. With what has happened here, you can’t deny this is a turning point? That you have something..” Jarod motioned to everything around him. “And someone to turn to.”

Parker grimaced at the memory of her words.

“You said you couldn’t give me the different ending I wanted before and that was just the way it had to be. But circumstances have changed. Lily’s right. You can’t go back to the Centre this time.” Jarod paused a moment trying to read her body language. “You’ve gotten what you always wanted - you’re free.”

Parker turned back around. “Can we call this free? Now not only are you being chased, but so am I.”

“But we’re not being chased. We’re here. We could stay here and Raines, Lyle, Cox – none of them would be able to get to us. It would be you and me working together for the better good. For once – change the story and let the ending be up to you. Not them.” Jarod took Parker’s hands and pulled her into an embrace.

Lily, seeing her brother embrace Parker, pressed the button on her console that allowed a string of music to start playing. She turned off the monitor in the room; this was their private time. She could feel Mark move up behind her, but she didn’t move and just kept working at the console.

Parker recognized the music that seemed to permeate from the trees themselves as one of Phil Collins’ songs. “Against All Odds.”

************************

The five players are defining their roles.

Fate and Truth are becoming entangled.

Trust is being given freedom.

Hope has taken his post.

Revenge will be searching for clarity.

Will the game bring total freedom or total despair?
Act 2 Scene 3 by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans. I also do not own any music by Phil Collins including Against All Odds.


Chapter 25: The Game: Act II Scene 3 (Reflections and Contemplations)



The five players are defining their roles.

Fate and Truth are becoming entangled.

Trust is being given freedom.

Hope has taken his post.

Revenge will be searching for clarity.

Will the game bring total freedom or total despair?

*************************

Angels Hope
Act 2 Scene 3



Jarod paused a moment trying to read her body language. “You’ve gotten what you always wanted - you’re free.”

Parker turned back around. “Can we call this free? Now not only are you being chased, but so am I.”

“But we’re not being chased. We’re here. We could stay here and Raines, Lyle, Cox – none of them would be able to get to us. It would be you and me working together for the better good. For once – change the story and let the ending be up to you. Not them.” Jarod took Parker’s hands and pulled her into an embrace.

Lily, seeing her brother embrace Parker, pressed the button on her console that allowed a string of music to start playing. She turned off the monitor in the room; this was their private time. She could feel Mark move up behind her, but she didn’t move and just kept working at the console.

Parker recognized the music that seemed to permeate from the trees themselves as one of Phil Collins’ songs. “Against All Odds. Your sister is trying to persuade us.”

Jarod started to slow dance with her. She tensed under his touch. “I have to appease my sister.” Jarod didn’t know the song, but just smiled for having Parker in his arms.

Lyle started to turn from the monitor, when he heard the words from Against All Odds start to be sung. He turned again and looked at the monitor. “Who are you?”

Parker started mouthing the words of the song to Jarod who was entranced with just looking into her eyes as he listened to the words. He found himself intoxicated by the beauty of Parker’s face in the dim lighting. Parker found herself trying to convince herself of the words.

How can I just let you walk away, just let you leave without a trace
When I stand here taking every breath with you, ooh

You're the only one who really knew me at all


Lyle leaned onto his elbows toward the screen and touched the image of Lily as she sang the lyrics to the song.

Mark moved to the side of Lily, kneeling down beside her and placing his hand on hers. Lily just kept looking straight at the computer. She knew that the broadcast had started on Bobby’s end. The computer had beeped with the acknowledgement that the pre-taped transmission had begun. After a few moments, she pushed the button that activated the jamming device signal.


How can you just walk away from me,
when all I can do is watch you leave


Parker started to outline Jarod’s rugged face with her finger; gently tracing his lips and chin. The touch of Parker’s finger sent shivers down Jarod’s spine.

Cos we've shared the laughter and the pain and even shared the tears
You're the only one who really knew me at all

Lyle suddenly felt a sharp pain behind his ear. After a few moments it subsided. He looked at the woman’s face again and could see the pain. Not physical pain, but a pain in her soul. He knew that there was a reason for that pain. The memory was right at the tip of his tongue.

So take a look at me now, oh there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me,
just the memory of your face
Ooh take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space
And you coming back to me is against all odds and that's what I've got to face


Mark pulled Lily up out of her chair and guided her to the middle of the room. He brought her close, looking into her soft brown eyes. She started to say something, but Mark put a finger to her lips. He started to sing the song that he could hear playing from the computer.


I wish I could just make you turn around,
turn around and see me cry


Parker looked into Jarod’s chestnut brown eyes. And it was there. In his eyes she could see the years of confinement, the years of running, and then she saw the only thing that mattered to him. Through everything else that had happened in his life. Her reflection.

There's so much I need to say to you,
so many reasons why
You're the only one who really knew me at all


Lyle looked at the flowers that were sitting next to his monitor. A flash of the young girl came to him again. They were sitting in a waiting room. He closed his eyes for a second and the music played on.

Jarod, now recognizing the refrain of the song, softly sang the words to Parker. Parker was shocked at the beautiful sound of his singing voice.


So take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me, just the memory of your face
Now take a look at me now, cos there's just an empty space

Mark spoke the words softly into Lily’s ear as he leaned down cheek to cheek.

Jarod continued to sing to Parker. She softened in his grip and moved closer to him.

But to wait for you, is all I can do and that's what I've got to face
Take a good look at me now, cos I'll still be standing here
And you coming back to me is against all odds
It's the chance I've gotta take

Take a look at me now.


Jarod leaned down, Parker tilted her head and the two kissed. Finishing what had been started on Carthis.

Mark brushed slightly against Lily’s cheek as he came around to face her. He gently took her chin and lifted her face to his. Nervously he let his lips touch hers and kissed her.

Lyle opened his eyes with a start and looking at the flowers. “Lily.”

************************

The room was decorated as if it were a bedroom. Wallpaper, chairs, dresser, and a private bathroom. The young man had pulled up a chair next to the woman’s bed. The nurses had been in and out of the room since their arrival checking the vitals of the seriously hurt woman. She was mumbling in her sleep. The nurses could not make out what she was saying, but the young man knew. She was saying her son’s name.

The young man knew that a time was approaching when he would have to leave her. He had been told it. He had also been told that they had to stay hidden for now. That their presence there right now would interrupt what was unfolding. What was meant to be. So for now he would sit and wait. Hoping that she would pull through.



*************************

Raines’ vehicle pulled up to the front doors of NuGenesis. A woman and two men came out of the front doors. The one Sweeper got out of the car and opened the door for Raines. After Raines had removed himself and his air tank from the vehicle, he walked over to the waiting entourage.

“Good afternoon Mr. Raines.” The woman walked up to him.

“How are the renovations going for the new facility Dr. Randolph?” Raines asked wheezing his way up the handicap walk.

“The facility is almost complete. The equipment will be in place by tomorrow afternoon.” The doctor responded quickly.

“When can we expect our patients to arrive?” Asked the man who had quietly come up behind the group of doctors.

“Ahh. Mr. Klos. Thank you for joining us.” Raines walked through the front doors of the Center and started for the conference room. “Mr. Cox will be retrieving Ms. Broots soon. We are having a problem with security at the moment. I didn’t want to take any chances with this project. We’ve already lost one of the subjects.”

“Yes. A certain woman has been giving the Centre a run for your money. Very interesting. A frontal attack upon a corporation that has unlimited resources. Very bold.” He seated himself at the left side of the head of the table. “When we catch her, I would like to personally conduct her interrogation. It should be very interesting.”

“There will be enough time for that Klos.” Raines reached into the brief case that the Sweeper had brought in for him. “This is a list of all the female subjects that were utilized during the age bracket we believe she is in. I need you, as head of security for this project, to tell me which one she is.”

“How do you know she is one of these girls?” Klos asked with curiosity.

“You’ll see the profiles of their stay with us. It will explain why I believe it is one of them.” Raines continued. “I have confidence that you will be able to eliminate the problem once you have found out who she is?”

“Swiftly and quickly Mr. Raines. She will be delivered to you as docile as a kitten. Will the transfer of current subjects be delayed until her capture?”

“Let’s see how fast you can deliver her.” Raines turned to the rest of the group. “Dr. Randolph how is the conditioning of the child going? Are you seeing any progress with him?”

“He is still resisting the external stimuli for negative reinforcement. We are only seeing a sample of empathic ability, but we believe that he may be masking his gifts.”

“At three years old?” Raines asked intrigued.

The doctor continued. “It’s like someone is coaching him to not use it. We have caught him talking when no one is in the room.”

Dr. Myers, one of the other doctor’s at the table, chimed in. “But then it’s within his developmental stage to have imaginary friends.”

“This boy is well beyond his developmental stage doctor. He is a Super Pretender. Will possibly even exceed the expectations we had for Jarod. Both his mother and father came from the Prodigy program.”

“We will keep you updated Mr. Raines if we have any further developments. Should we also forward an update to Mr. Lyle? ” Asked Dr. Randolph as she wrote her notes in her palm pilot.

“No. For right now Lyle is out of the project. He is becoming a liability. I cannot afford for any more seizures of my subjects. Especially the boy. Klos, make sure that only a limited number of people are assigned to this case. I don’t want wind of this to get anywhere near Jarod.”

“I thought Jarod was MIA as of this point. Him and the Parker woman.” Klos asked looking up from his files.

“I’m not sure how much persuasion their kidnappers would have to do to get them on their side. As of now, Miss Parker is considered a hostile element towards the Centre.” Raines got up to leave. “IF she returns, then we will have to evaluate her continued loyalty to the Centre.”

The others gathered up their belongings and left the room. Raines pulled Klos aside. “I want security tripled once the Broots girl is obtained. Not only will we be expecting retaliation from Mr. Broots, but I can’t believe that wherever Jarod and Miss Parker are that they will sit by and let it happen.”

“Why then tripled? We’re already set for Jarod and Parker.” Klos asked questioningly.

“Because wherever they are, they are going to plead their case to her.” Raines held up a picture of Lily. “And right now I believe she is more dangerous than Jarod, Parker, and Broots combined.”

*************************

Jarod finished the kiss. He pulled his face away far enough to look to see what Parker’s reaction was. To his delight, she didn’t look like she was about to pull out her 9mm.

Parker opened her eyes as Jarod pulled his lips from hers. She was looking at his expression. “What?”

“I was just checking that you weren’t going to kill me.” Jarod said with a smile.

Parker smiled back. “Do you think that you are that bad of a kisser?”

“Do women normally judge how men show their affection?” Jarod asked as he led Parker over to the candlelit table. The light reflected playfully off the beautiful crystal.

“You have a lot to learn Jarod.” Parker retorted as she took her seat.

“And I’m hoping you will teach me.” He responded with a smile that outshone the crystal. He took his seat. “So where do we go from here?” Jarod lifted the covers off of his and Parker’s plates.

Parker smelled the delicious aroma coming from the plate, but then let out a long sigh. “I don’t know Jarod. I’m not even sure we should be heading down this road.”

Jarod saw her faltering and took her hand. “Don’t do this Parker. Don’t move backwards. You’ve taken this first step in reclaiming your life. Don’t let them have the control back.”

Parker straightened up. “I am the master of my own destiny. No longer will I allow Raines or his crew to have control over me.”

Jarod looked her in the eyes. “Then say it. Say the one thing you know they would never allow you to feel or say.”

Parker looked at the room around them, glistening with twinkling lights. Back around to the table, glowing with the flickering of the candles that reflected off the crystal. And then back at Jarod. In the lighting a glowing haze seemed to envelope him as if he were glowing himself. The man who had been there during every difficult moment of her life – her father, her mother, Tommy, Lyle. No matter what she had done to him, what her family had done to him – he was always there for her. Knew who she was and where she came from. With the bottom line being - he didn’t care. A simple kiss had unlocked everything. She looked in to his eyes and started to speak. “I… I…”

************************

The Game is afoot – taking on new playing fields.

A Defense is being mounted.

The Light has broken through for some, has become clouded for others.

What will be the next play?
Act 3 Scene 2 by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



The Game is afoot – taking on new playing fields.

A Defense is being mounted.

The Light has broken through for some, has become clouded for others.

What will be the next play?

*************************

Angels Hope
Act 3 Scene 2



Jarod saw her faltering and took her hand. “Don’t do this Parker. Don’t move backwards. You’ve taken this first step in reclaiming your life. Don’t let them have the control back.”

Parker straightened up. “I am the master of my own destiny. No longer will I allow Raines or his crew to have control over me.”

Jarod looked her in the eyes. “Then say it. Say the one thing you know they would never allow you to feel or say.”

Parker looked at the room around them, glistening with twinkling lights. Back around to the table, glowing with the flickering of the candles that reflected off the crystal. And then back at Jarod. In the lighting a glowing haze seemed to envelop him as if he were glowing himself. The man who had been there during every difficult moment of her life – her father, her mother, Tommy, Lyle. No matter what she had done to him, what her family had done to him – he was always there for her. Knew who she was and where she came from. With the bottom line being - he didn’t care. A simple kiss had unlocked everything. She looked in to his eyes and started to speak. “I… I…”

Jarod just kept his eyes on hers, knowing that this was a momentous decision for her. If he said anything prematurely, everything would crumble. He found himself holding his breath as he waited for the words he so wanted to say himself.

“I love you.” There she had said it. It was like the weight of a thousand tons had been lifted off her chest. No sign of weakness. The world had not come to an end. Just three simple words said.

Jarod could see she was shaking ever so slightly. He reached across the table and took her hands. Parker held her breath as she waited for his response. “I love you too.”

That school girl smile that Jarod remembered all those years ago, shone across her face. “I never thought I would be able to say those words again.”

Jarod lifted her hand and kissed it softly. “I know. It’s going to be all right. We’re together now. No one will be able to separate or hurt us.”

“That’s yet to be seen.” Parker contemplated asking something. “When did you first know?”

“Know what?” Jarod asked puzzled by her question.

“That you loved me.” Parker decided to take a bite of food before it got cold.

“Ever since you gave me my first kiss.” Parker gave him a look. “I’m not joking. When I left the Centre, I knew that they were going to send someone after me. I was so happy when it was you.” Jarod decided to join her in tasting the delicious pasta dish in front of him.

“So you show your love for me by driving me crazy and giving me an ulcer?” Parker kept her poker face on, even though she was teasing him.

Jarod poured them a glass of wine. “I didn’t give you the ulcer, the Centre did. Now for driving you crazy…” Jarod smiled a sweet ‘I’m an angel look’. “At first it was a matter of ‘I can keep one step in front of you’ – like hide and seek. But then I started to find things out. And it wasn’t a game any more. I thought you deserved to know the truth. And somewhere in there I realized that my antics were a way of keeping us connected.”

“And I spent my time trying not to think about the connection. I was taught that love was a liability that someone could use against you. But I think Sydney was hoping that.. well you know…we would find each other. Especially after Thomas died.” Parker took a long drink of the wine.

“I’m sorry about Thomas. I never meant for you to get hurt again. I never thought the Centre would…” Jarod felt a sadness fall over him as he remembered his fallen friend.

“I know Jarod. I understood then. His death wasn’t your fault. Bridgette had her own agenda. In the end, my stepmother got what she deserved.” Parker finished her glass of wine.

“She received her judgment for Thomas’ death by paying with her own life.” Jarod decided to take a drink of his wine.

“You drink wine? And you‘ve taken on spirituality?” Parker looked surprise. “Things have changed since you left the Centre. There was a time when the only thing that would pass your lips was a pure sugar Pez and the closest to religion was what the Centre fed you.” She gave a half smile.

Jarod smiled. “Thank you for changing the subject.” Jarod took another bite of his food. “A lot has changed since when I first left the Centre. I have spoken to many people, learned much about their beliefs. They said to have faith. I guess they were right. Have faith and anything can happen. Even us.“ Jarod looked off. “And I learned there are more enjoyable things in this world than what the Centre fed me. Nutritiously and for my soul. But there is still a piece missing. A void I haven’t filled yet. Even after finding half my family, I don’t feel whole. I still don’t know who I am.”


“And I started out knowing who I was; to just find out I wasn’t who I thought I was. How dysfunctional are we?”

“Very. That makes us a perfect couple.” Jarod smiled. “Do you realize that we’re having an actual civil conversation?”

“Who would have imagined? The lab rat and the huntress sitting down to dinner and not a 9mm in site.” Parker smiled. “I almost wish it wouldn’t end. But reality awaits us.”

Jarod sighed. “Can’t you think of anything but business for a little while?”

“No. I’m a realist. This is an illusion put together by your sister.” Parker retorted.

“My feelings for you aren’t an illusion. Seems everyone around us could see them except us.”

Parker frowned. “Everyone? Who’s everyone?”

“Lily didn’t plan this all on her own. We know that Becky was involved and who knows who else. And I’m sure Sydney would be thrilled to see us together and away from the Centre.”

“He’s always wanted me to leave the Centre. Be free of their influence. The Centre’s involvement in Michelle and Nicholas’s disappearance out of his life just confirmed that for him. But we have to be realistic Jarod. How are we going to stop the Centre?”


“It’s no longer me against the Centre or you against the Centre. It’s Angel’s Hope against the Centre. Your true legacy. The Centre was never your legacy, not if your mother had her way and Lily’s plan will cement that.”

“One victory for Lily does not ‘bring down the Centre’ make. Raines will come after us and with everything at his disposal. You’re one of his properties Jarod. He doesn’t look at people for being people. He has burned the soul out of himself. He has also set a challenge for Lyle and I. He has taken Daddy‘s position at the Centre and wants me to...”

“Shhh” Jarod put his finger over Parker’s lips. “It doesn’t matter what Raines says or does. His time is short. Lily has already started Stage II and...” Jarod stopped his words abruptly and pulled his hand back.

“Why did you stop so suddenly? What is Stage II?” Concern mounted in Parker’s voice. “What is she planning Jarod?”

“I’m not sure you will agree with part of it. I’m not sure I agree with part of it.”

Parker gave him that tell me or die face.

“Lily is trying to contact Bobby.” Parker’s face changed to fear.

“She can’t do that Jarod. He’s not Bobby, he’s Lyle. What is she thinking?” Parker got up and walked away from the table and towards the door. She stopped when she remembered that the doors were locked.

“Calm down Parker.” Jarod came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. She instinctively went to pull away, but then relaxed a little. “Together. Remember?”

“She’s going to get us all a one way ticket to the Renewal Wing.” Parker said exasperated.

“She seems to think she can reach him. That the Bobby she knew is still in there somewhere. Just like her memories were hidden for all these years.”

“Jarod. I have been working with him all these years. I can see the coldness in his eyes.” She stopped for a moment before she proceeded. “Sydney and I think that he has killed women. We couldn’t prove it, Lyle got rid of the evidence.”


“I know. I’ve told her to be careful. She said that if this first initial contact doesn’t work, she’ll proceed with her plan as if he were Lyle. But it’s something else about this whole thing.” Jarod walked back among the twinkling lights. “It has to do with redemption.” Parker followed him back into the room. Jarod turned back around to face Parker. “I think as much as I helped all those people to atone for the pain and suffering that my simulations caused, she has to do this to atone for whatever happened with Lyle. I can’t blame her for that. So even though I believe that Lyle is as evil as Raines, I have to let her try. If there is the slightest chance she can reach him, I have to let her try. For her own sanity.”

Parker paced around in her spot and then looked up at Jarod. “I know...but it’s Lyle.”

Jarod took her hands into his. “Faith Parker, you have to have faith.”

************************

Mark brushed slightly against Lily’s cheek as he came around to face her. He gently took her chin and lifted her face to his. Nervously he let his lips touch hers and kissed her.

Lily pulled away, turning so her back was to Mark. Closing her eyes in an effort to decipher the emotions that she was feeling.

Mark hung his head. “I could take it as a good sign that you didn’t kill me right on the spot for kissing you.” He lifted his head and turned her around to face him. “I need to know one thing. When this is all over, will there be an us?”

************************

Players

Each trying to find out where they fit in the game.

Moving in straight lines and circles.

In the end, trying to figure out who they are.
Feelings & Fall Outs by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans. I also do not own any music by Phil Collins including Against All Odds.



Players

Each trying to find out where they fit in the game.

Moving in straight lines and circles.

In the end, trying to figure out who they are.

*************************

Angels Hope
Feelings & Fall Outs




Mark hung his head. “I could take it as a good sign that you didn’t kill me right on the spot for kissing you.” He lifted his head and turned her around to face him. “I need to know one thing. When this is all over, will there be an us?”

Lily looked into Mark’s face, trying not to cry. “I don’t know. A lot has changed.”

“But my feelings for you haven’t changed. And I don’t think, deep down, yours have either. You didn’t pull away from that kiss. You were kissing back. So somewhere in there.” Mark pointed to Lily’s heart. “You still love me.”

“You’re right. Love doesn’t just turn on and off like a switch. But a knife in your back sure puts a damper on things.” Lily couldn’t face him any more. She started walking around the room. “You knew important information about my life and didn’t tell me. A relationship is based on trust.” She looked back at him.

“I’m sorry.” Mark tried to follow her, but Lily just kept moving. “Joan gave very specific orders that your file was to remain confidential. She said that it was in your best interest. And then when we started seeing each other, she warned me again that informing you of that information could be detrimental. I never wanted to have anything hurt you.”

“But you were supposed to be the one person who knew me. Keeping my life from me was the worst thing you could ever do. You knew that I wanted….needed to know who I was. Years of struggling to figure out where I fit into this world. Not just the computer programmer or the virologist or the engineer, but who I am. I’ve never known where I came from, who were my parents, and you let me believe that Becky was my sister. So in the end not only did you hurt me, but you hurt her too.”

“This whole thing is such a mess. I know that I have an obligation to my job, but I also don’t want to lose you. What do I have to do to convince you that you are the most important person in my life?” Mark looked at her hopefully.

“Who am I?” Lily’s face looked questioningly. “I’ve already short circuited, so telling me isn’t going to do anything.”

“Lily.” He looked at her pleadingly. “I can’t…I” He looked up at the monitor that was stationed in the corner of the room.

“Then there’s nothing more to be said.” Lily went back to her console. “There can’t be an us if I don’t know who I am.” Lily noticed that the transmission to Bobby had concluded. Maybe he was the only one who really knew who she was.

Mark saw that she was monitoring the transmission again and his heart ached. She had attached herself to someone who could remind her of her past. But he wanted her to think about the future and he knew the only way she could do that. “O’Connor.”

Lily’s head whipped around. “What did you say?”

“Your real last name is O’Connor.” Mark started speaking quickly, knowing what was going to happen. “You are the daughter of Margaret and Charles O’Connor. You have two brothers, Jarod and Kyle. You have a sister named Emily. Your mother became pregnant with you and Jarod after visiting a fertility clinic named NuGenesis. They are connected to the Centre. Raines was taking the twins of chosen couples and separating….” Both turned their heads as the lock on the door sounded and Joan stepped in through the door. There were guards and a lab assistant with her.

“Mark. Come with me please.” She spoke harshly and was noticeably upset.

“Joan. She has the right to kno…” Mark began, but was cut off abruptly.

“Not another word. You have compromised your authority and put this whole project in danger. I want you in my office now!”

Lily stood up and moved in front of Mark from her console. “I have the right to know who I am. I have a family. I’ve never had a family before except for Becky. It’s not Mark’s fault - I pushed him into it.”

Mark put his hands onto Lily’s shoulders. He subconsciously moved his thumbs to the back of Lily’s neck and started rubbing it. He had always done this when he knew she was stressed. Suddenly he realized it wasn’t there. “Lily. Where is your Angel’s Hope medallion?”

Joan was about to say something when she stopped short.

Lily felt around her neck and checked in her blouse. “I never realized it was missing. Did they take it off during the surgery?”

“Joan I was there during surgery. They didn’t take it off. That means it was already gone. Do you realize what this means?”

“That she lost it during the struggle at the Centre. They may have evidence that Angel’s Hope exists and Lily’s name. Get a Retrieval team ready. Get me the operative at the Centre. See if they have heard anything.”

“Joan - stop! If Raines knew anything, he would have used it in New Orleans. They haven’t found it.” Lily went over to the excited woman to calm her down. “Get the Alpha Retrieval Team out there. They will get in and out without detection.”

“Will the two of you listen to me!” Mark yelled. Both Lily and Joan stopped and looked at the screaming man. “Thank you. First. Joan, Lily’s right. We would have heard something by now if they had the medallion. Second. You wanted a reason why Lily’s behavior changed radically after the chip malfunctioned the way it did. You got your answer. She doesn’t have her medallion on.”

“What does my medallion have to do with anything?” Lily asked completely confused.

Mark looked at Joan as the realization set in. “Go ahead and tell her. The situation’s completely out of control as it is.”

Mark came next to Lily and held her hands. “Your medallion had a jamming device in it. Similar to the device you had implanted in the vase.”

“What vase?” Joan asked, but was interrupted by Lily.

“So you were jamming the negative impulses all along?” Lily asked again confused.

Mark looked at Joan again. “Why not?“ Joan said throwing her hands up in the air.

Mark took a deep breath. “It not only jammed the negative impulses, but it also aided in the repression of...your memories.”

Lily’s confusion turned to anger. She slipped her hands from Mark‘s. “Oh this is great! Not only do you lie to me, but you give me hypnotic jewelry. What next? Is there a tracking device in my shoes?”

Mark tried to take her hands again, but ended up grabbing her elbows instead. “But this is good news. We have backups of your medallion. You put it on and you’ll be back the way you were. No more horrid nightmares, no more anger spurts, and you’ll feel calmer. We can get back to normal. Glen.” Mark called to the technician. “Go to the lab and get another medallion.”

The technician hesitated. “Dr. Stedman?”

“Go ahead.” Joan was watching Lily intently. She could see that her young prodigy was not jumping with excitement. “What’s going on inside Lily?”

Mark, in his joy, had not noticed that Lily was not happy at all. “What’s wrong?”

“Obviously the same thing that’s been wrong for all these days. You really don’t understand what’s going on with me at all.” She went over to the console and unlocked the doors to the arboretum. “I hope there are at least two people who have learned that they do know each other. Even if they didn’t want to admit it.”

“Who’s where? Why are there things going on here that I don’t know?” Joan was back in the game.

“I locked Jarod and Parker in the arboretum. They needed to talk things out. Without all the bullshit that is going on around them.” Lily started pacing.

“And what else have you done Lily? Joan asked grabbing Lily. “What else have you done?”

Lily looked into Joan’s face. “Saving a friend. Maybe the only person who ever cared about the real me.”

“Bobby again. Lily. We’re not even sure that the Bobby you knew even still exists. When are you going to stop playing this game and get back in the swing? You have never operated a mission like this before. You are endangering not only yourself, but also your other teams members.”

“I am not playing a game and I know exactly what I’m doing. I will evaluate whether or not Bobby is a liability and act accordingly. I have never lost a mission. That son of a bitch is going to pay for what he did to my family and me if it is the last thing I do. If you have ever trusted me in my life, trust me now!” Lily’s determination showed through like a shining star.

Just then Glen came back into the room. He handed Mark the medallion. Mark looked at Lily and Joan.

“What do you want to do Lily? It’s your call.” Joan said as she walked away from the young lady.

She took the medallion from Mark and looked at it. “The two of you may not like what you’ve been seeing lately. But if I don’t go through this, I’ll never figure out who I am. A person’s personality is the sum of their entire life’s experiences. How can I be a whole person without knowing or feeling the memories you don’t want me to have?”

“Then I should conclude that you do not want to wear the medallion.” Joan surmised.

Lily thought for a moment. “How about a compromise?”

“A compromise?” Asked Mark.

“You modify the medallion to help control the negative emotions, but allow the memories to proceed.”

“Lily. If you do that you will continue to remember all those horrible things that happened to you on SL 27. I don‘t want you to be in any more pain.” Mark pleaded.

“You have no idea what I went through. You weren’t there.” Lily retorted.

Mark looked straight into her eyes. “Yes I was.”

************************

Lyle opened his eyes with a start and looking at the flowers. “Lily.”

Another flash of the young girl came to him and then another. They were in SL27, fighting with the guards and trying to keep their sanity. Visions of being kept in a dark room being pumped full of drugs and being shown images on a big screen.

Lyle pushed himself away from his desk in an effort to escape the images he was seeing. He felt more pain to the side of his skull and grabbed his head as he knocked back into the desk. More images flooded him. He could see himself being led down the corridor on SL27 and running for one of the room’s door. He jumped high enough to see through the observation window and saw Lily lying on the floor. She was rocking in the fetal position on her side. Her large screen was also showing horrible scenes of people being murdered. He grabbed and shook the locked door handle trying to get into the room as the guards that were accompanying him pulled him away from the door. He was screaming her name...Lily.

Lyle slid down his desk. He had been unable to help her then, but then he remembered there were other times. When they had gotten out of their rooms and hid. They had talked and cried with each other until they were found. They had spoke of their dreams of escaping the Centre. Finding a way to get out and run away from the pain and the horror.

And then she was gone. He remembered seeing the darken shapes of Lily and...and Angelo. They had all been friends and Angelo had pulled her farther into the vent. And that was the last he had seen of her. That night he had been sent....where had he been sent? He couldn’t remember. But through everything one thing was constant - Raines’ face. He had been there through everything that had happened. Supervising it. And for the first time in a long time Lyle felt his soul. And it ached with the pain of everything that he had gone through. He pulled his knees up to his chest. Sitting on the floor of his office alone and in pain, he did something that he hadn’t done since he was six - he cried.

*************************

Jarod took her hands into his. “Faith Parker, you have to have faith.”

“I could say faith is for the religious zealots and the righteous, neither of which have been acquainted with the Centre.” Parker half wisecracked. Jarod made a face at her. “OK. I will believe that you believe she is doing the right thing. But bottom line is if we end up at the Renewal Wing, I’m requesting that you have the seat right next to mine so I can say I told you so.”

“If I’m in the chair next to you, you won’t know me to say anything anyway.” Jarod quipped back. “But that’s never going to happen.” Jarod wrapped his arms around Parker. “United remember. I’m never going to let anything separate us again. Ever.” He leaned down and kissed her again.

Parker relaxed in his arms and allowed him to pull her closer. It was as if time itself had stopped and that they had intertwined into one.

The stars had aligned and the chosen were ready. Ready to face what was ahead of them and what was creeping up behind them.

************************

The Eight Ball has been shaken.

The Player’s futures are at hand.

Each shaking and taking a chance for happiness.

As for the answers - the ball reads “Maybe”
The Truth Behid Love and Hate by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



The Eight Ball has been shaken.

The Player’s futures are at hand.

Each shaking and taking a chance for happiness.

As for the answers - the ball reads “Maybe”

*************************

Angels Hope
The Truth Behid Love and Hate




Jarod took her hands into his. “Faith Parker, you have to have faith.”

“I could say faith is for the religious zealots and the righteous, neither of which have been acquainted with the Centre.” Parker half wisecracked. Jarod made a face at her. “OK. I will believe that you believe she is doing the right thing. But bottom line is if we end up at the Renewal Wing, I’m requesting that you have the seat right next to mine so I can say I told you so.”

“If I’m in the chair next to you, you won’t know me to say anything anyway.” Jarod quipped back. “But that’s never going to happen.” Jarod wrapped his arms around Parker. “United remember. I’m never going to let anything separate us again. Ever.” He leaned down and kissed her again.

Parker relaxed in his arms and allowed him to pull her closer. It was as if time itself had stopped and that they had intertwined into one.

The stars had aligned and the chosen were ready. Ready to face what was ahead of them and what was creeping up behind them.

Jarod pulled back from Parker and just took in her radiance. At that moment, in that place, she was the Parker he had known all those years ago. For the first time he saw contentment in her face. It caused a warm feeling to flush through his body. His stomach had butterflies and his heart was racing. It was a done deal – he was in love.

“What are you thinking?” Parker asked noticing that even though he was looking at her, he was really somewhere else in his mind.

“How I wish we could suspend this moment in time. It’s peaceful. For once I don’t have to worry whether someone is chasing me or is going to hurt you.” Jarod said as he brushed a strand of hair away from her face.

“You worried whether they were going to hurt me? I pack a 9mm and you were worried about me.”

“I worried that with every bit of your life that I gave you, that they would panic and do something stupid. In part, I credit your father for intervening when I think Raines would have pursued other measures. But I knew that even he couldn’t prevent everything. Especially when you got shot in the back. When I saw your body just hanging in your father’s arms and there was so much blood.”

“Syd told me after you escaped from the plane that you were recaptured because you stayed behind for me. You almost spent the rest of your life a slave to the Triumverate because you tried to save me. He also showed me the DSA of what Lyle did to you. You could have gone with your father and been with your family right now. After everything I’d done to you, why did you stay?”

“I went on autopilot. All I could think about was getting you to a hospital. That I couldn’t let you die there on that tarmac.” Jarod lifted Parker’s chin. “I didn’t want you to leave me. I could withstand hell as long as you were all right.”

“Hell being the Centre. Which makes Raines Beelzebub and Lyle the spawn of Satan. And that brings us back to the same problem. Lily’s obsession with my dear brother.” Parker leaned her head against Jarod’s shoulder. “I’m doing it again. Avoiding. I have come to realize when I am doing it.”

Jarod smiled. “Has Dr. Stedman been analyzing you?”

“No. Becky. She told me that I don’t allow myself to feel. She’s right. Every time I think someone is getting close, I push them away. It‘s been that way my entire life.” Parker lifted her head up and gently pushed off Jarod‘s chest. She turned and walked away from Jarod.

Jarod couldn’t move. He was afraid that in that moment she might have changed her mind. That maybe she thought that this was just another moment of weakness. He felt like his heart had stopped beating.

Parker looked up into the trees and touched the leaves. “I don’t want to do that anymore. I’ve taken that hard look Jarod and I don’t like what I see. I wasn’t ready to make that turning point before.”

Jarod came up behind her and put his arms around her. His heart making up the missing beats by furiously thumping in his chest. “But you are now?”

Parker rolled in his arms. “I’m willing to try. I can‘t guarantee anything. I just know that I don‘t want to pass on the Parker legacy to my children. I want them to have my mother‘s legacy.”

Jarod smiled. “That’s the first time I have ever heard you say that you wanted children.”

Parker smiled slyly. “I might want children, if I was with the right man. A white knight with a trusty steed.”

Jarod’s face dropped. “A king or queen has neither knighted me nor do I have a horse.” Parker looked at Jarod in surprise at his answer. Then Jarod gave a big grin. “Only kidding.”

“I’m glad. I was just starting to rethink the whole genius thing.” Parker tickled his ribs. Jarod jumped and laughed from the tickle.

“Ah. A weakness.” Parker began to tickle Jarod again, Jarod backing up trying to escape the attack.

“Parker stop. Please. I don’t want to hurt you.” He backed up so far that he tripped over one of the boulders, which sent him rolling to the ground.

Parker followed him to the ground and continued her assault. “You hurt me. I don’t think so.” She continued her tickling until Jarod was a laughing mess. He tried rolling away, but Parker blocked him with her knee.

Jarod knocked her knee out from under her, which sent her falling face first toward the floor. In one swift movement he rolled over, pinning Parker underneath him. His strong arms outstretched on both sides of her. He could see that she was breathing heavily. She looked beautiful lying there on the grass. The lights twinkling in her eyes.

Parker brought her hands up, cupping his strong chin in her delicate hands. With little resistance, she brought his face down to hers. She began by placing small kisses on his lips and then letting them blossom into a full passionate kiss.

Jarod pulled from the kiss and started to nibble down Parker’s neck. She responded by tilting her head back allowing Jarod full access to start up the other side. She nuzzled into his neck, planting kisses of her own.

Both stopped and looked into each other’s eyes. “Are you sure?” Jarod asked sheepishly.

“I haven’t been more sure of anything in my whole life.” She responded as they intertwined their bodies and souls.

*************************

“You have no idea what I went through. You weren’t there.” Lily retorted.

Mark looked straight into her eyes. “Yes I was.”

Lily was flustered. “What do you mean ‘yes you were’? You were never at the Centre.”

“Mark was one of the green files.” Joan broke the stalemate.

“Green files. You were one of Raines’ projects? You were tortured like I was?” Lily asked realizing that her memories could be his own.

“Raines’ noticed early on that my gifts were more centered on the psychological. I could read people and determine their reactions. He started having me evaluate his experiments. He always threatened that I could either assist him or become like the others.” Mark’s face showed his uneasiness at revealing his past.

“So you assisted him with the experiments?” There was a lump forming in the pit of Lily’s stomach.

“No. I never assisted. I observed and evaluated. I was afraid of him Lily. I couldn’t see any escape and I didn’t want to end up like...”

Lily interrupted him. “Like me.”

Mark looked at Lily and his worst fears were confirmed. So he decided to just lay it all down for her. “When they brought you to the Centre I knew that you were special. There was all this security added and Raines started having more meetings behind closed doors. I would observe you and wipe your brow at the end.”

Lily had a sudden flash of lying on the floor of her room at the Centre and an older boy wiping her forehead with a cold cloth. He was smiling down at her telling her it would be all right.

Mark continued. “I would also watch you through the observation window. I saw you escape from your room and I didn’t say anything. I knew you were meeting Bobby and that it was against the rules. A few times I even tried to stop Raines from doing his experiments. That’s when it all came to an end.”

Lily’s eyes were tearing. She was desperately trying to keep her anger in check. “An end?”

Mark came up to Lily and tenderly held her by her elbows. “When Raines found out that I was protecting you, he went on a rampage.”

“You stood up to Raines for me?” Lily kept looking at Mark’s chest, not able to look into his eyes.

Mark took her hands to his face and motioned yes. He kissed her hands and let them go. “He tore the room apart. Screamed that I betrayed him and after he had treated me like a son. I told him that I wouldn’t let him do anything to you any more. That I was going to get you out of there. He told me that my objectivity had been compromised and I had become a liability. That night he sent me to another facility. I fought to try and get to you, but in the end he just sedated me and shipped me off. I tried to get the doctor‘s at the new facility to tell me how you were, but they told me to concentrate on my studies.”

“You were in love with me even then, weren’t you?” Lily asked trying to digest everything she had heard.

“In a young boy’s way, yes I suppose. But in the end I couldn’t save you. I wanted to die. Then in my mid teens Joan’s people found me.”

“And I brought him to a safe house. I financed his college education and then brought him here.” Joan added trying to size up what Lily would do next.

Mark also was trying to read Lily’s face. “Lily. I know there is a lot that you are remembering and some of that is information I possess…”

“But no further information is going to be given out without my authorization.” Joan ended Mark’s sentence. Mark gave a frustrated look to Joan. “I mean it. No more!” She said sharply.

Lily’s face looked drained and her body tired. She turned to Joan. “I don’t want to argue any more. I’m over it. You want to keep secrets, go ahead.” Lily headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Mark asked heading for the door after her.

“I need to get out of here. I need time to think. There are too many things and too many voices talking inside my head and I need to get a handle on things.” Lily opened the door and Mark went to follow. Lily put her palm up against his chest. “Alone.” The hurt expression on Mark’s face conveyed his disappointment. She looked past Mark to Joan. “The funny thing about secrets. They tend to come around and bite you in the ass. And by the way, Jarod and Miss Parker are in the arboretum. I gave them a night to be alone so that they can figure out their lives. I strongly suggest that you give them that time. After everything they‘ve gone through, they deserve one night off.” Lily turned back around and in a second was gone through the door.

Mark looked at Joan with angered eyes. “I will be in my office Dr. Stedman.” He stormed out the door leaving Joan standing in the middle of the room wondering how everything had become such a mess.

*************************

And for the first time in a long time Lyle felt his soul. And it ached with the pain of everything that he had gone through. He pulled his knees up to his chest. Sitting on the floor of his office alone and in pain, he did something that he hadn’t done since he was six - he cried.

“What are you doing you idiot? Sitting on the floor babbling like a baby. Pull yourself together.” Lyle wiped all evidence of the tears from his face. He went into his washroom and splashed cold water onto his face. He grabbed the small blue hand towel and wiped his face. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught the reflection of himself. Hair nicely groomed, crisp suit - everything that the good Centre employee was suppose to wear. Or was it good Centre puppet. Suddenly the image that reflected from that mirror revolted him.

He had been a free spirit as a child. Intelligent, athletic, fun loving - all taken away by Raines and the Bowman’s. They had stolen his childhood. When he should have been playing football and going to the movies with girls - he had been locked in a shed. Raines had taken him and sent him to places where he learned torture and use inhumane ways of hurting people. He had never questioned these lessons before. He had embraced them and coveted them as his own.

The memories were there. He could feel them. Waiting like a floodgate to crash open upon him. They held the key to why he had become who he was. But now, these ideas disgusted him. Lyle walked out of the rest room and went to the vase of flowers. He picked the vase up and looked at the intricate design. Why had she sent them? A reminder of who she was? His fingers ran across the glassy textured surface till he hit a larger design in the pattern.

He felt that the design was raised about an inch above the vase. It was circular in shape. Lyle thought for a moment and then took the flowers out of the vase. He raised the vase above his head and smashed it on the floor. The fragile vase broke into a million pieces. Lyle got onto his knees and searched through the broken pieces till he found what he had been looking for. A medallion on a chain had been imbedded into the vase. There was an engraving on it. “Wear this if you want the true answers. Love, L.” He also spotted a piece of paper amongst the pieces. He read it to himself. “Seek the theater of Truth and you will find me. I know the secrets and have the solutions. I will see you in two days at the city of Angels.”

Lyle put the piece of paper in his jacket pocket and after a moment put the chain of the medallion over his head. He tucked the medallion into his shirt. He went to the phone and dialed. “This is Lyle. I want you to locate Sydney and Broots and page me when you find them.” Lyle pulled the phone book out of his desk and started looking through the pages looking for non-Centre affiliated clinics.

************************

Lily had gotten onto the elevator, her guard behind her like a tail. “Larry. Tonight, can you just give me a little space?”

“I can’t leave you totally alone Miss Lily, but I think I can keep far enough behind that you won’t notice me.”

The elevator doors opened and Lily went to walk out. “Thank you Larry. You’re the first one today to respect my wishes.”

“You’re welcome. I hope that you find whatever you’re looking for.”

“I hope so too.” Lily had gotten off on one of the dormitory floors that were seldom used. She had just wanted to get away from everyone and think. She walked down the rose and pink colored hallway just clearing her mind. She had stopped to look at one of the paintings when she heard music playing down the hall. She could hear the words.

She sits alone

An empty stare

A mother’s face she wears.

Where did she go wrong?

The fight is gone.

Lord help this broken home.....

Lily looked through the open door and saw a woman lying in the bed. She looked so frail. Lily could see tuffs of red hair under her bandages. Lily had an urge to go in and hold the woman’s hand. “What terrible thing has happened to you?”

And from the dark corner of the room came a response. “She’s lost.”

Lily turned to see a good-looking young man sitting in the corner. “Hello. My name is Lily. Who are you?”

“A game piece to the your future.” The young man replied

************************

The Roulette wheel spins.

The ball is in motion.

The world is spinning out of control.

Which Players will come up winners?

And which will just keep waiting for the spinning to stop.
Expanding Horizons by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans. I also do not own any music by Journey including Mother, Father.



The Roulette wheel spins.

The ball is in motion.

The world is spinning out of control.

Which Players will come up winners?

And which will just keep waiting for the spinning to stop.

*************************


Angels Hope
Expanding Horizons




Lily had gotten onto the elevator, her guard behind her like a tail. “Larry. Tonight, can you just give me a little space?”

“I can’t leave you totally alone Miss Lily, but I think I can keep far enough behind that you won’t notice me.”

The elevator doors opened and Lily went to walk out. “Thank you Larry. You’re the first one today to respect my wishes.”

“You’re welcome. I hope that you find whatever you’re looking for.”

“I hope so too.” Lily had gotten off on one of the dormitory floors that were seldom used. She had just wanted to get away from everyone and think. She walked down the rose and pink colored hallway just clearing her mind. She had stopped to look at one of the paintings when she heard music playing down the hall. She could hear the words.

She sits alone

An empty stare

A mother’s face she wears.

Where did she go wrong?

The fight is gone.

Lord help this broken home.....

Curious, Lily proceeded down the hall checking each room as she went.

Hey, mother, father, sister
Hey, come back, tryin', believein'
Hey, mother, father, dreamer

Lily looked through one of the open doors and saw a woman lying in the bed. She looked so frail. Lily could see tuffs of red hair under her bandages. Lily had an urge to go in and hold the woman’s hand. “What terrible thing has happened to you?” The music continued to drift through the air.

Don't you know that I'm alive for you
I'm your sevenths son
And when lightin' strikes the family
Have faith, believe.

And from the dark corner of the room came a response. “She’s lost.”

Lily turned to see a good-looking young man sitting in the corner. He had short brown hair and brooding good looks. “Hello. My name is Lily. Who are you?”

“A game piece to the your future.” The young man replied

“So cryptic. What do you know of my future? Are you a fortuneteller?” Lily asked trying to size up the good-looking stranger.

“Of a sorts. Are you always this rude?” The young man tilted his head with a questioning glare.

“No. Only when I meet strangers who seem to know me.” Lily retorted.

“Touché. But I do know that right now you are very confused and unsure of yourself.” He got up from his chair in the corner and Lily backed up towards the doorway. “You don’t have to be cautious of me. I would never hurt you. Right now I have a different path than harming anyone. I am her Guardian.”

Lily picked up the word Guardian quickly. “You work for Dr. Stedman?”

“No. I just met Dr. Stedman when I brought her here. Her body was badly hurt, but your facility doctors have helped to heal her. But her soul is wrought with guilt and sorrow. She is lost.”

“I know the feeling. What happened to her?” Lily asked moving towards the bed.

“Better attitude. We were running away from a Sweeper Team and she was hit.” The young man took stance on the other side of the bed. “She is very fragile right now. She has been running a very long time.”

Lily took the chart from the end of the bed. “Looks like she is in stable condition. Our team in Atlanta got to her in just enough time. Bullets didn’t hit her lungs. The lacerations to her face weren’t bad. But she hasn’t responded to...”

The young man cut her off short. “Are you always this sensitive?”

“Excuse me?” Lily asked a little shocked.

“She isn’t a simulation; she’s a person. A person who needs a loving hand, not a cold technician. Don’t analyze her; be there for her.”

Lily took a deep breath and took stock of herself. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to...I mean I wasn’t..”

The young man came around the bed and pulled a chair from behind Lily. “Sit here and be with her. Different situations call for different reactions. You will never succeed if you don’t find the balance between the two worlds you have lived in.” He was hoping that she was listening to the music.

Through bitter tears
And wounded years, those ties
of blood were strong
So much to say, those yesterdays
So now don't you turn away.
The words of the song caught her attention again. Lily cautiously sat down and took the woman’s hand. She stirred a little, mumbling in her sleep. “How is it that I don’t even know me, but you can analyze my life in under ten minutes?”

The young man went back to the chair he originally was sitting in and pulled it to the bedside. “There are some who believe that loved ones who have passed on still watch over us. For those who can listen, they are the guides. They can advise you and help you. That’s why I am here.”



And when lightin' strikes the family
Have faith, believe

Believe, Believe.
Lily listened to the last refrain of the song. “Normally I would say that you were insane, but my sister Becky is very empathic. She says that sometimes it’s like someone is whispering in her ear. Other times she can touch someone or something and can see images. Do you have this gift too?”

“I can hear people talking to me. Like I knew to play that song. That right now you’re attuned to music and you would come.”

“You knew I was coming?” Lily asked.

“Told. By the voices. At first when I heard them it was all the time, barraging me day and night. I thought I was going insane, but then I learned from someone very special to trust those voices. They saved my life and the lives of my sister and brother. And now her.”

“She’s very lucky that you listened. I envy that you have balance in your life and can use your gift to help others.” Lily watched the woman, seeing that she was in the middle of a horrible nightmare. A shiver crept up her spine as she remembered the memories she had been having. Tears started in the cracks of the woman’s eyes. Small droplets started falling down her cheek. Lily took her finger and gently wiped them away being careful not to touch the wound dressing. The woman stirred a little.

“My life hasn’t always been balanced. There was a time when a person I trusted told me things and made me do something that could have hurt a lot of people. My brother found me and helped me to learn that I was trusting the wrong person and the voices were whom I could trust. Everything was very confusing and I decided to go off by myself to find out who I was. I met a gentleman who taught me meditation. It helped me to control my inner demons and my inner sense. Now I can hear the voices clearer.”

“Found yourself a guru huh?” Lily put the woman’s hand gently down on the bed and started to get up to leave. “Well I have to get going. I’m sure the nurses will be here soon and I’m not on their best terms these days. They’ll take good care of her. I really wanted to be alone anyway tonight.” She headed for the door.

The young man got up from his chair and came around the bed. “You can’t run away from everyone forever. Find your center and you will be able to defeat all the demons threatening to destroy you from within. Think about what I’m telling you. Your family needs you.”

“I’ll think about it.” Lily was almost out the door when she turned back around. “You never did tell me your name.”

“Dr. Stedman said I was to be called Nathan. She was close, my name is Ethan.” The young man looked at her to see if any spark came from the recognition of his name. “But no one can know that I am here.”

“Well it was nice to meet you Ethan and your secret is safe with me. For once I‘ll be holding the secret.” Lily walked out to the hallway and headed back towards the elevator.

Ethan followed her into the hallway. “Come back tomorrow and I will help you to find your center.”

Lily turned around as she continued walking. “I’m leaving tomorrow for an appointment, but I’ll check up on you both before I go.”

“Make sure you do.” Ethan watched her go around the bend in the hallway and disappear. “Your life depends on it.”

************************

Jarod watched Parker as she got redressed amongst the twinkling lights. A joy permeated through his body that no one would be able to extinguish. His heart was beating wildly and he felt as if he were to die tomorrow it wouldn’t matter. Because he had had that one perfect moment in time.

Parker noticed Jarod staring at her. “You might want to wipe that drool that is running down your chin.”

Jarod ran his hand along his chin line. “I don’t feel any drool...”

Parker started laughing. “I was joking Jarod. We have to work on your sense of humor.”

“Like the Three Stooges. Wah wah wah wah.” Jarod made the Three Stooges gesture.

“Will you ever grow up?” Jarod went to answer, but Parker bent down and put her finger over his lips. He returned the gesture with a kiss. “Don’t answer that. I don’t think I want to know.” Parker handed Jarod his pants. “Better get dressed before the warden catches you with your pants down.”

“Very funny.” Jarod started getting dressed. Now it was Parker’s turn to ogle. “I don’t think that Lily would allow Dr. Stedman in here.” Jarod turned slightly to look at the door on the other side of the room. “But I’m not quite sure that we didn’t give the guards something to talk about.”

“I’d be more worried about making an x-rated video. Did the cameras ever come back on?” Parker looked at the cameras that she knew of in the room. The red lights were still off. “Darn. They’re still off. And I was going to ask for a copy.”

Jarod came up behind Parker and wrapped his arms around her. He gently planted a kiss on her neck.

“Do I know you Sir? I don’t normally let my prey nuzzle on my neck.” Parker tried to hide a smile.

Jarod turned her around and pulled her close to him so that she was almost a part of his own body. “I concede. You have caught me and I hope that you never let me go. I am your prisoner.” He bent down to kiss her, but Parker stopped him. He pulled his head back in shock.

“You will never be my prisoner. Turning points remember. I’d rather you’d be my.... Partner.” Parker took Jarod’s face in her hands and brought it down.

Before their lips locked, she heard Jarod say. “Forever.”

************************

Lyle was not use to waiting. Sitting in this dingy ER waiting room in the middle of nowhere made him cringe. People he had always thought below him rambled past him in disarray. Children with broken limbs, homeless with God knows what diseases, men and women with all sorts of ailments. He had watched numerous emergency cases file in before him. So there he waited. Playing with the medallion that hung around his neck.

“Mr. Lyle. Is there a Mr. Lyle out here?” The nurse screamed over the banter that had filled the waiting room.

“Here.” Lyle yelled as he stepped over the legs of a drunken man that had fallen asleep next to him. He made his way to the nurse.

“The doctor has the results of your films Sir. Please come this way.” The nurse sat Lyle in a room off the main ER room with all its curtained stall. “He’ll be right with you.” She left the room and shut the door.

Lyle looked around the small clinical room and a shiver ran up his spine. He hated confined spaces and he especially hated medical facilities. They always reminded him of...his mind flashed. He was back there again.

Raines had shot him with something. His body relaxed and the guard picked him up and placed him on the gurney. A man in a white jacket was pushing the gurney. He could see through the haze that he was being pushed through a set of doors. He was taken into a room that had allot of bright overhead lights and curtained areas. He could see other gurneys with children on them. He knew something bad was going to happen. A nurse started shaving a section of hair behind his ear. She had turned his head and then he saw his friend being wheeled in. “Lily. No.” Tears ran down his cheeks. “They promised.”

The door opened to the room and Lyle was snapped out of the vision.

“Mr. Lyle. I’m afraid I have some disturbing news. I know that you came in complaining of headaches. We have found a very peculiar item behind your left ear. I’m not sure how this type of device could have been implanted without your knowledge.” He placed several x-rays up onto the screen. “It’s positioned right here.” The doctor circled the spot that Lyle now had gotten up to look at.

And the Boogeyman ate into your brain.

“I want to call a neurologist in. We may have to go in and remove the device in order to stop the headaches. I’m not sure I can get someone in at this late hour, but I don’t want you to leave until I can have someone looks at these.”

Lyle traced his finger around the spot on the x-ray. Then he grabbed his coat and started getting dressed. “That won’t be necessary Doctor.” Lyle turned and grabbed the x-rays off the screen. He headed for the door.

The doctor stood in front of Lyle and tried to block his path. “Sir. I can’t allow you to leave this hospital. You may be seriously ill. If you’re experiencing headaches, you may be leaving with a possible hemorrhage. I advise you to...”

Lyle pushed the man out of his way. “These are all I need doctor. Thank you.” Lyle slipped out the door and headed out of the hospital. He knew that the hospital guards would soon be after him, so he stepped up his pace to his car. He got in and spun out of the parking lot, leaving the guards in his dust. As he drove down the rode he flipped open his cell phone. He punched the button and connected with the Centre. “Get the jet ready. I’m heading for Los Angeles.”

*************************

The Twister board has been set.

The Players are in position.

Poised for that first color to be called.

What will happen when two meet face to face on the same color?

Will they fight for control or work in cooperation?
Hearts Of Fancy by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



The Twister board has been set.

The Players are in position.

Poised for that first color to be called.

What will happen when two meet face to face on the same color?

Will they fight for control or work in cooperation?

*************************

Angels Hope
Hearts Of Fancy




Lyle pushed the man out of his way. “These are all I need doctor. Thank you.” Lyle slipped out the door and headed out of the hospital. He knew that the hospital guards would soon be after him, so he stepped up his pace to his car. He got in and spun out of the parking lot, leaving the guards in his dust. As he drove down the rode he flipped open his cell phone. He punched the button and connected with the Centre. “Get the jet ready. I’m heading for Los Angeles.”

The voice on the other end of the phone gibbered something quickly, but Lyle impatiently cut him off. “I don’t care if Raines has downed all the planes. You are going to get me that jet or they will find parts of you scattered across the four winds. Am I understood! Good!” Lyle flipped his phone closed and threw it next to him on the passenger seat.

He wanted answers and there was only one person who he thought was going to give him the less tainted truth. And in two days she was going to be in Los Angeles. Lyle picked up his phone again. The other end clicked its reception.

“Hello.” Came the cheery voice of Debbie.

“Miss Broots, is your father at home?” Lyle questioned the young teen.

“Yes. Please hold one moment.” Lyle could hear Debbie call Dad away from the phone. “Who may I say is calling?”

“Tell your father that Mr. Lyle is on the phone.” Lyle smiled as he thought about what the computer geek’s face would look like.

“Dad. He says he’s Mr. Lyle.” Debbie yelled to her father.

Lyle could hear Broots knocking over various items in his home in his attempt to get to the phone. He then heard Broots take the phone.

“Thank you Debbie. Why don’t you go do some studying?” Broots urged his daughter so that she would exit the room. After a few moments, he came onto the phone. “Hello. I mean, yes Mr. Lyle.”

Lyle continued to smile. “Don’t you ever give that beautiful young lady a night off Broots?”

A shiver ran up Broots spine as he heard Lyle refer to his daughter as beautiful. “Uh. It’s very important th..th.. that children her age have discipline and structure.” There was a moment of silence. “Mr. Lyle. If you don’t mind me asking, why did you call me at home? I mean you can call me anytime I guess, but you have never called me at home...”

Lyle shook his head. “Broots! Get it together man. I need you to do me a favor.”

Broots looked shocked at the phone. “You want a favor? From me?”

“Yes Broots. I need you to locate a place for me. It would be based in Los Angeles. I believe it would be called in some form ‘Theatre of Truth‘. When you find it call me on my cell phone. Under no circumstances do you tell anyone at the Centre that you researched this or where it is. Miss Parker‘s life may count on it. Am I understood?”

‘Yes. Completely Mr. Lyle. Tell only you. Right.” Broots started writing the information on a pad next to his phone.

“Broots.” Lyle spoke into the phone.

“Yes Sir.” Broots answered taking his mind off the pad he had been writing on.

“Hang up the phone and get going.” Lyle hung up his phone and drove off into the night.

*************************

The couple went hand in hand back to the table. Their food sat there cold and their glasses warm. “I’m starving. I wonder if any of this is salvageable.” Jarod gave Parker’s hand a kiss, let it go, and went to his place setting. He picked up his fork and twirled the pasta. He took the heaping forkful and carefully guided it into his mouth. “Umm, still good.”

“Only you could get such enjoyment out of cold pasta.” Parker retorted as she poured herself another glass of wine. “But right now I’ll try anything.” Parker also took a forkful of the delicious dish. “I guess it is no different than eating cold pizza like when I was in college.”

“Cold pizza sounds good too. It’s especially good with vanilla ice cream.” Something struck Jarod and he turned to a covered bucket that was next to the wine bucket. He lifted the lid and in the bucket surrounded by ice was a giant container of vanilla ice cream. “My sister must have my excellent tastes.” Jarod thought for a moment and then smiled. He took his finger, stuck it in the ice cream, and placed a dab on Parker’s nose.

"Hey." Parker said as she realized what Jarod had done.

Jarod leaned over the table and kissed the ice cream off her nose. “Hmmm sweet.”

Parker just shook her head. As she turned her head to the right, a flash of red caught her eye. “What is that?” Parker got up from the table and went over one of the boulders that were caddy corner to the table. Half hidden behind the rock was a giant red heart and a card. “Jarod. How many days have we been here?”

Jarod thought for a moment and answered. “Eleven days.”

“It seems that your sister has been keeping track of the time better than we have.” Parker had picked up the large heart full of chocolates and the card.

Jarod saw the heart in Parkers arms and calculated the date in his head. He looked up as he realized the date. “It’s Valentine’s Day.”

“You sister set us up on a date for Valentine’s Day. She has a wicked sense of humor.” Parker had come to stand next to Jarod. She handed him the card.

“I think she is the real genius in the family.” Jarod gave Parker a long passionate kiss.

“Maybe she is.” Parker placed the heart on the table, put her arms around Jarod’s neck, and pulled him back into another kiss. “I think she could see through the barriers I’ve had up for years.”

“I think she hoped that I would be able to bring those barriers down. I told her when she first woke up after the operation that I loved you.”

“You just blurted out to her that you loved me?” Parker asked intrigued.

“No. She asked me point blank and I answered her truthfully. Though she said that she could tell already.” Jarod moved enough so that he could open the card. It had a picture of the horizon, hills, a lake, all encompassed in a heart. Jarod opened the card and read what was enclosed.

If you love something, set it free.

If it comes back, it’s yours.

If not, it was never meant to be.

There was handwriting under the wording.

Now that the two of you have come back to each other, I hope that you realize that you are meant to be. Happy Valentine’s Day! Love, Lily and Becky.

“Maybe Becky had a vision and they knew this would happen? I can’t believe that I am that see through. I’m the Ice Queen you know.” Parker said matter of factly.

“No. You’re not an Ice Queen.” Jarod tried to counter.

“Please Jarod. You don’t think I hear everyone talking. Whispering behind my back. I not only condoned it, I perpetuated it. I needed those under me to be afraid. I needed them to see the Ice Queen.”

“But you never allowed yourself to be just you. You lost yourself in that facade. But that’s gone now. “Now.” Jarod dropped the card on the table and took Parker’s face in his hands. “You’re the Queen of my Heart.”

Parker went to say that was corniest thing she had ever heard, but Jarod bent down and started placing small kisses on her lips. Ending in a very passionate kiss. Parker forgot what she was going to say.

*************************

Lily made her way back to her room thinking about the stranger she had just met. She opened her door and said good night to the good-natured guard and his relief guard Mel. “You guys have a good night.”

“You too Miss Lily. Sweet dreams.” Replied Larry.

Lily walked into her room ready to just drop onto her bed, clothes and all, and go to sleep. A gasp escaped her lips. Her entire bed was covered in red and yellow rose petals, her favorite flower. A large heart shaped box of candy was sitting up against a four-foot high panda bear. A note was attached to the bear’s paw. Lily walked over and grabbed the note. She opened it with her back to the camera. A tear rolled down her cheek as she read it.

My dearest Lily,

How many times can I say how much of an ass I am? I know that you are going through so much and all I have done is laid more on you. Just know that I do what I do because I love you with my whole heart. So I am going to give you the space you want and the freedom to make your own decisions. Know that I will always be covering your back.

All my love,

Mark

Lily brought the note to her chest and brought her head down to it. She brought it up to her lips and kissed it. She laid on her bed and cuddled herself into the giant bear. Confusion bantered around in her head. She fell asleep wondering if she knew herself what she was doing.

*************************

Ethan looked at the medical chart of the woman in the bed. He walked over and pulled the chair behind him as he went. He sat and took her hand. "I'm going to have to leave tomorrow. The war will be starting soon and I have to get the rest here before it begins. You're safe here. My mother says so. So sleep and heal. Let those nightmares go. Nothing is your fault." He could see her moaning in her sleep again. "Sssh, ssssh. Everything is going to be all right. Lily may not realize it, but her determination is the key to the Centre locks."

Just then a nurse came into the room. "Good evening Nathan. How is Mary doing this evening?" The nurse began taking the woman's vitals.

"She is doing better. I think she will be awake soon." Ethan said as he listened to the voices he constantly heard.

"I hope so. She's a very lucky woman to have someone care about her as much as she does." The nurse finished her routine and was writing her notes onto the chart.

"Would it be possible to see Dr. Stedman tomorrow morning?" Ethan asked just looking ahead.

“I will put your request in to her in the morning. You should get some rest. You have been up late every night since you arrived here.” The nurse suggested seeing the circles under the young man’s eyes.

“I will. I promise. Thank you for your concern.”

“Goodnight.” The nurse left the room.

Ethan made his way over to the door that connected their two rooms. The nurse was correct. He was exhausted. He would rest tonight, for tomorrow would begin another search.

*************************

Lyle pulled into the parking garage of the Centre. He wasn’t even going to stop and get his suitcase. He just wanted on that plane to California. He opened his phone on the way to the landing strip.

The connection opened on the other side. “Hello.”

“Broots. What do you have for me?” Lyle abruptly asked Broots.

“Mr. Lyle. Well I’ve been running the standard search for anything called the Theatre of Truth, but I haven’t gotten a complete hit. I did however find some sub hits that consisted of forms of the words.”

“Broots. Bottom line. What did you find?” Lyle asked exasperated at the ramblings of the computer geek.

“I found a nightclub called ‘The Theatre’. I’m not sure if that’s what you were looking for, but it is located in Los Angeles. I can run a comparative search...”

Lyle clicked his phone shut. The Theatre, a nightclub. Music. That had to be it. Reaching the runway, Lyle went to board the plane.

“You’re not going without me.” Sydney said in a stern voice.


*************************

“So Mr. Klos. Have you gotten me my answer?” Raines wheezed as he sat across from the man in his limo.

“I believe from all the data that I retrieved from the Sweepers in New Orleans and your estimations that your problem is this little lady.” Klos handed Raines a folder.

Raines opened it. “Are you sure?”

“Positive. Taking into consideration her stay at the Centre, psychologically it has to be her.”

“Damn. Another ghost.” Raines slammed the folder on his seat. “What do you suggest as the next course of action?” Raines wheezed through his frustration.

“We go do a little ghost busting.” Klos said with a large devilish smile.

The limo drove off into the night.

*************************

The Players circle the room.

Trying to decide what would be the next Game played.

So many choices that need to flow to the same conclusion.

They now get ready for Masquerade.
Entanglements And Betrayals by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



The Players circle the room.

Trying to decide what would be the next Game played.

So many choices that need to flow to the same conclusion.

They now get ready for Masquerade.

*************************

Angels Hope
Entanglements And Betrayals




“So Mr. Klos. Have you gotten me my answer?” Raines wheezed as he sat across from the man in his limo.

“I believe from all the data that I retrieved from the Sweepers in New Orleans and your estimations that your problem is this little lady.” Klos handed Raines a folder.

Raines opened it. “Are you sure? I saw her die.”

“Positive. Taking into consideration her stay at the Centre, psychologically it has to be her.”

“Damn. Another ghost.” Raines slammed the folder on his seat. “What do you suggest as the next course of action?” Raines wheezed through his frustration.

“We go do a little ghost busting.” Klos said with a large devilish smile.

The limo drove off into the night.

*************************

After what seemed an eternity, the couple pulled apart from each other. “Happy Valentine’s Day.” Jarod whispered in Parker’s ear.

“Happy Valentine’s Day.” She purred back. “I never thought anyone could top Mr. Wiggles.”

Jarod looked at her confused. “Mr. Wiggles? Who is Mr. Wiggles?”

“Remember my Christmas present. That cute little bunny. Whenever I was having a bad day, I would just go out and pick him up. He’s so soft and cuddly. You should have seen Broots face when I introduced him to Mr. Wiggles. You would have thought he saw a ghost or something. Must have a fear of rabbits.”

Jarod smiled as he saw the joy permeated off of Parker. He knew that she would love the rabbit, but not until this moment did he realize how much his gift had meant to her. “I’m glad you liked him. You needed a source of love in your life. Someone to take care of.” Jarod wrinkled his face. “I hope that someone is taking care of him.” Jarod said as the concern filled his voice.

“No problem. His caretaker comes by the house twice a day. When I’m away she takes care of him. She’s use to me taking off on the spur of the moment and she takes good care of him.”

“You have a babysitter for the rabbit?” Jarod couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Well I’m gone a lot and I wanted to make sure he was taken care of.” Jarod kept snickering. Parker hit him in the chest. “Stop that.” Jarod tried to contain his smirks. “It’s not like I even described the Taj Mahal of bunny houses that he has.”

“I’ve seen his cage. I didn’t know bunnies needed penthouses.”

Parker had grown quiet and was looking out past Jarod. “What are we going to do now? Its not like we can just go back and play house.”

“Do you really want to go back? We could get the rabbit and just stay here. I think he would like the Colorado mountains.”

“You figured out we’re in Colorado? Of course, you’re boy genius.” Parker thought for a moment then lifted her head. “When you left on the mission. You calculated our position.”

Jarod only smiled. “I can’t reveal all my secrets.”

“I remember when you first started revealing your inner most secret.” Parker said as she walked amongst the trees.

“And when was that?” Jarod asked, his curiosity now peaked.

“On Valentine’s Day. Remember. You sent me the book you wrote. The Saddest Little Valentine. And a giant candy heart. It said...”

“Be My Valentine. I remember. Jarod Heart. I really wanted it to read Jarod’s Heart.” Jarod’s tone got a little sullen as he walked around the tree to come to the other side of Parker.

“I remember the sound of your voice as you told me to open the box. So sad. So alone.” Parker turned and leaned up against a tree. “I swore that day that I would never care how hurt you sounded. I took that candy heart and I devoured it. Like I devoured everything in my path.” Parker put her head down as once again she saw that hurt look on Jarod’s face. “But it was a lie.”

Jarod had followed Parker. His face lit up a little with a sign of hope. “A lie?”

“What I was really feeling was the same hurt, the same loneliness. I just didn’t want to admit it. Not to you. Especially not to me. Remember.” Parker tapped the side of Jarod’s head. “Ice Princess.”

“It hurt. When you didn’t respond to me. When you shut me out. I was offering what little part of myself I had found. But you rejected it.”

Parker started reciting the book. “She felt consumed by a great void. A dark and silent abyss. As terrifying as the grand palace around her. But somewhere in the chilling blackness she caught a glimpse of a light. She remembered a time. The precocious little girl with a heart full of fire, a soul enflamed by passion, and a smile that could melt winter into spring. But the light was gone. The flame had died. Her past was taken from her by the soldiers of the great palace. She would continue searching, hoping to rekindle the fire. Till then she would always be the saddest little Valentine.”

“You memorized it? You told me you skimmed through it.” Jarod came and brought her into his arms.

“I must have read it over and over again a thousand times. Every time I felt alone.” Parker let out a little laugh. “I never did return it to the evidence vault at the Centre. I‘m sure that Syd would have loved to have analyzed it.”

“He already knew what it was about. I called him asking him about why people go through falling in love. And he asked me if that was what the novel was about.”

“And?” Parker looked at Jarod with hope in her eyes.

“And I told him yes. I have always known that there was a connection between us. No matter how hard I tried to run away from it, to let you go.”

“Do you feel that way now Jarod?” Parker asked feeling the old walls coming up.

“No. No more running for either of us. No more pain or loneliness. It ended here, tonight.” Jarod leaned over and kissed Parker gently on the lips.

“You’re the first person who has been a part of my past who has accepted me for who I am. We’re going to have a lot of things to work through. I want to work through them.” She moved up on her toes and kissed him back.

“Me too. We are going to get through this. I’m not sure how right now. I have to find out fully what Lily has planned.”

“It doesn’t matter. Because tonight. I am no longer the Saddest Little Valentine.”

“Better to love and lost. Than never to have loved at all.”

“I don’t plan on losing you Jarod now that I have you. So whatever Lily does, it better not include me losing you.” Parker leaned back up and kissed Jarod passionately.

“Together forever.” Jarod felt a yawn coming on.

“Am I boring you?” Parker quipped.

Jarod looked down at his watch and realized what time it was. “Do you realize that it is almost 1:00 a.m. in the morning?”

Parker purred again in his ear. “Time flies when you’re having fun.”

“I think we better get some sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a big day.”

“I think today was a bigger day. The joining of the Ice Princess and the Boy Genius. Raines is going to have a coronary.”

“An alliance to defeat all Centre alliances.”

“Except for Broots and Sydney. All this is wonderful, but we have to get to the Centre so that Debbie can be safe.”

“I know. After tomorrow I think we will be able to safely retrieve her. Lily will figure out Lyle’s alliance and then we’ll be able to proceed. I promise. I won’t let anyone hurt Debbie.”

“You better not Boy Genius.” Parker smiled as Jarod realized she was joking. “Because if someone does, I’m coming after you and Sister Genius with my 9mm.”

Jarod got down on one knee. “On my honor.”

Parker walked past him. “Come on. The Ice Queen needs her sleep.” Parker turned and extended her hand out to lift Jarod up.

“Your wish is my command.” Jarod followed Parker to the door.

“What have I gotten myself into?” Parker asked as she pushed the arboretum doors open.


*************************

The monitors showed Lily tossing and turning in the arms of the panda bear. The technician battled whether he should notify Dr. Mark, but decided to evaluate the situation further.

Lily could see herself standing at the end of a dark gray room. The fluorescent lights gave the room a dim glow. Lily could see the board with the dark man shape on it. She had seen it before. When Raines had brought her there for target practice. She had been firing a weapon since she was four years old. The first time the gun had been put in her hands she had dropped it. The gun had fired and Sweepers had run in every different direction. Raines had ducked under a table. And alone there she stood. Not knowing anything better. That the toy she held in her hand was a gun. It was the one thing that her mother had never let her know about. Weapons.

So again she found herself standing in that room. Not afraid any longer to handle the gun, but also not wanting to fire it any longer. Raines had been running simulations with her that involved the firearms. He had been screaming at her.

“You decide who lives or dies!” Raines would yell at her.

Lily looked to her left and saw Raines and the Sweepers standing there. Waiting for her to fire.

“Just imagine the board being a man. A bad man that has killed many people. Some of them children. You would be doing society a favor.” Raines encouraged her.

“I don’t want to fire the gun. I don’t want to kill anyone!” Lily yelled back at him.

Raines came over and slapped the child hard in the face. “You will do as I say.”

“I thought I decided who lives or dies?” Lily yelled as she clung to her cheek with the hand that wasn’t holding the gun.

Raines slapped her again. Lily’s head swung sideways with the force of the blow. She quickly snapped her head back. There was hatred in her eyes. And fire. “Good. Feel that hatred. Feed on that hatred. Rage is your companion. Now fire!”

Lily pointed the gun at Raines, who stood his ground. The Sweepers went frantic, but Raines raised his hand in a gesture to stop. The gun trembled in her hands. “I can’t......” Lily turned and fired at the standing board. She hit the mark right at the heart level.

Raines took the gun out of Lily’s hands. “Good Lily. Now you know what it feels like to kill a man.” Raines hit a red button on top of a box at the table. The board swung around and fastened by cuffs to the back was a man who was drenched in blood.

“Nooooo!!” Lily screamed as she dropped to her knees.

Lily sat up in bed with a gasp. She felt as if someone had kicked her in the stomach. She scrambled off the bed and went to the door of her room. The night guard was on duty. “Max. I need to go to the Equipment Storage Room.”

“Lily. You know that you are not allowed to take anything out of there. Dr. Stedman’s orders.” Max stated as he stood his ground.

“Fine. Then I won’t take anything out. Come on.” Lily grabbed Max’s hand and pulled him to the elevator. A few minutes later they approached the room, which had a guard stationed at it. “Please open the door.”

The guard on duty looked at Lily. “I have strict orders that only authorized personnel can enter the room.” The guard saw the look that Lily gave him as she folded her arms across her chest. “I’m not suppose to let anyone in there Miss Lily.”

Lily tapped the man on his chest. “I don’t want to take anything out. I’m not going to make a prison break. I just need to look at something in there. One of you can even stay with me if you’d like. OK?”

The two guards looked at each other. “Well. I guess that would be all right.” The nervous man unlocked the door and Lily pushed past him.

Max looked at the frightened guard. “I’ll keep an eye on her.” The other guard nodded in agreement. As Max entered the room, Lily had already started frantically searching the shelves.

After a few minutes she found what she was looking for. She pulled out Jarod’s case, placed it on the floor, and opened it. “Here we go.” Lily turned on the machine, took out one of the DSA’s, and placed it in the hole. “Now I learn about the Centre.”

*************************

The Players are trying on their costumes for the Masquerade.

The dance will bring them to the ballroom.

To settle the past.

And save the future.

The Game moves forward.
Paths To Take by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Chapter 32: Paths to Take

The Players are trying on their costumes for the Masquerade.

The dance will bring them to the ballroom.

To settle the past.

And save the future.

The Game moves forward.

*************************

Angels Hope
Paths To Take




Max looked at the frightened guard. “I’ll keep an eye on her.” The other guard nodded in agreement. As Max entered the room, Lily had already started frantically searching the shelves.

After a few minutes she found what she was looking for. She pulled out Jarod’s case, placed it on the floor, and opened it. “Here we go.” Lily turned on the machine, took out one of the DSA’s, and placed it in the hole. “Now I learn about the Centre.”

Lily watched disc after disc. Absorbing everything she was seeing on the screen. She watched Jarod’s life unfold in front of her. Jarod’s life and the Centre’s existence. She realized for as many simulations that the Centre had Jarod run, she had run their counter simulation. Jarod’s Ying to Lily’s Yang. Cleaning up after the Centre’s messes and realizing how many messes she had never had the chance to clean up. Her heart cried out for justice, but her mind knew she had to concentrate. She only had so many hours to absorb a man’s lifetime.

In the wee hours of the early morning her eyes drew weary. She had placed a DSA into the holder and pushed the play button. She curled up on her side, watching the screen as images of Jarod being hosed down in some form of cell played. Trapped in a wire fence and Jarod showing rage at his confinement. Being shocked with electric battery cables. Then someone was talking to Jarod, someone she recognized came into view - Lyle.

As her eyes closed, Max saw a single tear run down her cheek.

*************************

“Sydney. How good to see you.” Lyle said as he put on his best poker face.

“I know you have been in contact with Broots and are heading for California. Do you have a lead on Jarod’s whereabouts?” Sydney asked coming out of the shadows he had been standing in.

“Is there nothing sacred at the Centre anymore? How in the hell did you know that I was talking to Broots?” Lyle advanced toward Sydney, who stood his ground. Lyle went into Sydney‘s face. “Does Raines know what you know?”

Sydney analyzed Lyle. “Do I detect fear?”

Lyle pushed off the psychiatrist’s chest. “Don’t confuse fear with caution.”

“Don’t confuse caution with fear. It may keep you alive.” Sydney retorted. “No. I have a tap on Broot’s phone.”

“Since when do you tap one of your own trio Sydney? Getting nervous about your future?” Lyle was trying to unnerve Sydney unsuccessfully.

Sydney coined the phrase he had heard so many times at the Centre. “I am exploring all leads in the pursuit of Jarod.”

“Cute Sydney. But I make this trip alone. I’m meeting someone.” Lyle started up the plane steps.

Sydney grabbed Lyle’s arm and spun him. “You are not going to California without me. If you try, I will call Raines and tell him where you are heading.”

The fire burned in Lyle’s eyes. “You wouldn’t.” Lyle looked into Sydney’s eyes. Shaking his head he spun and started back up the steps. “Fine. Get on board so I can get the hell out of here.”

Sydney climbed the steps with a smile on his face.

*************************

Jarod awoke from his restful slumber. He kept his eyes closed playing the events of the night before in his head. How beautiful Parker had looked in the twinkling lights. He could still smell the aroma of the perfume she had insisted that the staff of Angel’s Hope get her.

He had realized long ago that she had that kind of power demanded that power. To manipulate any situation to her advantage, whether she was in original control or not. Except for his scenarios. He had almost always kept one step in front of her. He had frustrated her, infuriated her, and enlightened her. He had made it look easy, but it wasn’t. So many times he had to put himself into her head. And it hadn’t been easy.

Now they were in new territory and this wasn’t a scenario. Jarod opened his eyes to see a darkened room. There was some soft lighting around the ceiling. For a moment his heart skipped a beat, but then he remembered where he was. He had not quite gotten use to underground living again yet. And waking up here always reminded him of being at the Centre. No windows, locked doors, and cameras.

Jarod sat up and rolled to the edge of the bed. He ran his hand across his chin and through his hair. He needed a shave. He stood up and went to the mirror. In the reflection he could see the bed. How he wished Parker could have been there. But both of them knew that certain things needed to be kept private right now. And staying in one or the other’s room would have given up that secret. Jarod turned from the dresser and headed for the shower.

*************************

Parker rolled over in bed. She stretched out her arms and legs. She lifted her head off the pillow and rested it on her palm. A smile came across her face. She had been naughty. Broken all the rules - for the Centre and she assumed Angel’s Hope. If only she had been able to convince Jarod to come back to her bed. The guards would have gone crazy. Dr. Stedman would have had to get out of bed. Turmoil. She would have liked it.

But Jarod had convinced her that everyone didn’t need to know what had happened last night. That it had been something special between the two of them. There was allot going on without adding their copulation to the mix. In the end, she had agreed. Though somewhere inside there was this little voice that wanted to call Lyle. Inform her brother that she had screwed the one man he despised more than anyone else in the world.

Parker went to the closet and pulled out her black reconnaissance outfit. Looking at the tight fitting apparel she imagined what Jarod would think of her in it. Parker shook her head. What was she some lovelorn schoolgirl? There was a mission today. Her head needed to be focused. She grabbed the rest of her underclothes and proceeded to take a shower.

*************************

“What do you mean she isn’t in her room? Where did she go?” Dr. Stedman was yelling as she walked down the hall toward Lily’s room. “Where the hell is her guard?”

The security personnel accompanying Stedman nervously spoke. “We’re unsure ma’am. She is unaccounted for at this time.”

“Great. Am I going to have to start putting lojacks on these people? Do we have confirmation on Jarod and Parker?” Stedman asked as she entered and walked around Lily’s room.

“I’m right here.” Jarod replied from behind her.

Joan spun around. “Do you know where your sister is? Because if you do, you had better tell me. I can’t afford for her to be going off half cocked.”

“I haven’t heard from her since last night when she locked us in the arboretum. She’s missing?” Jarod started looking around the room. He focused on the bed. There was a giant panda bear and rose petals all over the bed. Jarod looked at the arrangement of the petals. “It looks like from the positioning of the petals that she slept on the panda and then did quite a bit of movement.” Jarod didn’t need to run a simulation to solve this. “Another nightmare. A good one.”

The security guard that had entered with Stedman received a phone call. The room turned to see if he was going to have any information. He closed the phone. “She has been located Dr. Stedman.”

“Where is she?” The doctor asked frustrated.

“In the Equipment Storage Room. Asleep.” The man stated in a confused voice.

The group all turned and headed for the door. Parker was just approaching the room as everyone descended upon her. “Where is everyone going?” Parker asked confused at the mass exodus.

Jarod grabbed Parker’s arm and pulled her with the group. He made his way to the head of the group. “Lily was missing. They just found her in the Equipment Storage Room.”

“What the hell would she want in there?” Parker asked as she pulled her arm from Jarod and started her own quick pace.

“Jarod’s DSA’s.” Is all Stedman said as she entered the elevator.

Jarod had formulated that idea the moment they had said where Lily was, but he didn’t want to say anything. If he were right, Stedman would be furious. And she was.

*************************

The plane ride to California had been uneventful. Lyle had sat with his laptop making it look like he was working on Centre business as usual. Sydney sat across from him doing the same. It was like a well-manipulated game of chess. Knight and Bishop in standoff. Both men would pleasantly smile at one another each trying to figure out what the other one was thinking. Lyle was trying to calculate how to ditch the doc and Sydney was trying to figure out a way to keep Lyle from Jarod.

The plane landed in California and the men got into the company car that was waiting for their arrival. Sydney sat looking at Lyle who was looking out the window. “So where do your leads say Jarod is?”

Lyle, interrupted from his thought, turned to Sydney with a puzzled look. “Jarod?” Then fully realizing what he had said, he covered. “Jarod. Yes. He was spotted at one of the movie studios. I think we will go there later this morning.” The car arrived and the two men checked into their hotel. “Meet me in an hour in the lobby.” Lyle strutted off leaving Sydney standing alone.

An hour later Sydney was waiting for Lyle in the lobby. Sydney was looking at his watch, trying to figure out why a man who was consistently on time was late, when Lyle walked up behind him.

“Let’s get going.” Lyle said as he patted Sydney on the shoulder. He was smiling that false smile that Sydney had come to realize meant Lyle was up to something.

They spent the day rambling around the studio lot and sound stages. Late in the afternoon, Sydney was frustrated. “Lyle. This is pointless. There is no indication that Jarod was ever here.”

“Fine Sydney. The lead must have been wrong. We’ll head back to the hotel for the night and leave for the Centre in the morning.” The two men went back to the hotel. Lyle and Sydney went to their rooms. A man watched them from the corner of the lobby.

*************************

Max saw the crowd marching down the hallway from where he stood in the doorway. Dr. Stedman was heading the group followed by Jarod and Parker. “What is she doing?” Stedman said as she approached the man. “And why didn’t you report in?”

“Shssh.” The guard said as Dr. Stedman reached the doorway. He pointed to the sleeping figure of Lily on the floor. Dr. Stedman pulled the man into the hallway as Jarod passed him to go into the room. Parker stayed at the doorway. “She’s been up all night watching those discs Dr. Stedman. I didn’t see any harm in it and the room monitor saw us leave. When the door guard informed me that you were looking for Lily, I looked at my phone and realized the battery had malfunctioned. I would have reported her whereabouts immediately if I knew that there was a problem.”

Stedman took a breath and exhaled heavily. “All right. I’m a little on edge right now. Please make sure that you get a freshly charged battery every shift Max. Please confer with me whenever she requests something out of the norm. Now I will have to do damage control.”

Jarod had come up behind Lily and knelt down beside her. He reached over her side and pushed the play button. The scenes of the disc started playing and Jarod closed his eyes.

“Why didn’t you tell me what Lyle had done to you?” Lily said as she opened her eyes. She just kept facing forward looking at the screen.

“I didn’t want anyone to see that disc. It is personal.” Jarod replied also facing forward.

Lily rolled over to look at her brother. “I know I said it before - I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I came here and you got left there. I’m sorry that Catherine Parker couldn’t get you, Kyle, and Angelo out of there.” Lily sat up and put her arms around her brother’s neck. He tried to keep his balance on his heels. She whispered in his ear. “I’m sorry we didn’t get to be a family.”

“You have nothing to be sorry about. You had no choice on who went and who stayed. Catherine Parker knew that with Raines your life was in danger. You had to go. And we’ll be a family soon enough. We’ll get in contact with Dad and Emily. We’ll find Mom. We’ll be a family. And maybe we’ll add one more.” Jarod made a sideway glance to Parker.

Lily got up to her feet and Jarod followed grabbing his sister’s hands. “So I take it things went well last night?”

“Yes. Thank you.” Jarod said as a slight blush came to his cheeks.

Lily caught her brother’s reaction. “Understood.” Lily grasped Jarod’s hand and intertwined her fingers in his. She could see Joan outside the door giving Max grief. She nodded her head toward Joan. “Upset?”

“Definitely. You were MIA.” Jarod tried to explain.

Joan headed for the room as Lily was leaving the room. “Didn’t I tell you and Becky that this room was off limits?”

“Technically you told us removing things from the room was off limits. You didn’t say that I couldn’t go in the room.” Lily put on her best smile.

“Don’t play semantics with me young lady. There are reasons that I didn’t want you in this room.” Joan confronted Lily.

“And now the reason is gone. I know what I needed to know. What you should have told me.” Lily pushed pass Joan. “I am confronting these people and you are handicapping me.” Joan came up behind Lily, grabbed her arm and spun her around. Before she could say anything, Lily cut her off. “I am not a baby. I have a mission. A mission you started me on and now for whatever reason want me to stop.” Jarod came up quickly behind Dr. Stedman to quiet Lily. “No - stop Jarod. I need to know. Why? That‘s all I want to know. Why Joan?”

“Because if you confront Raines you are going to lose. You think those discs tell you what the Centre is like. Bullshit! Jarod was raised by Sydney. Sydney protected him. There is a whole other side of the Centre that you don’t have a clue. Not even with the knowledge of the years you spent there would you even be scratching the surface. And if Raines still has the technology active, you have that damn chip in your head. He could turn you on in a minute and maybe you would cease to exist.” Joan started crying. “And I couldn’t stand if anything happened...” Joan turned away from Lily and walked toward the wall.

Lily closed her eyes trying to keep herself from crying. “I know you feel like my mother. You think that you are protecting me. But we are all going to be in danger if I don’t confront Raines. You said it yourself that Raines will not give up. So I will do my best to stay safe and complete my mission.” Lily went over and gently placed her hand on Joan’s shoulder. “But there is always a possibility that I may not succeed. In that case, you have Jarod and Miss Parker. They are your next lines of defense.”

Joan turned around and faced Lily. “I’ve always known it, but when the time came I didn’t want to let you go. I guess I have no choice, you’re going to do this regardless of whether I lock you in chains till you’re eighty.”

Lily grabbed the woman in a hug. “You have to trust me.”

Joan nodded her head in agreement. “I need to speak to you before you leave. Can you come to my office?”

“I’ll be there soon. There is a man who came with his injured mother that I promised I would check on before I left today.” Lily said as she released the woman from her hold.

“Yes. I met them at arrival. Always the humanitarian.” Joan said as she wiped the tears from her face. “I’ll see you before you leave.”

“Thank you.” Lily said as Joan and her escort left the area. “Jarod. Why don’t you and Parker go get some breakfast and I’ll meet you in a little bit? That’s if you haven’t had breakfast yet.” Lily looked down at her watch.

“No. We haven’t had breakfast yet. Can we accompany you with your visit?” Jarod asked always looking to help those who have been injured.

“No Jarod. I’m not sure if they would appreciate others knowing their location. The mother was attacked and the son is being very protective. Too many people may spook him. I’ll be all right. Go eat and I’ll be along shortly.”

Jarod hugged his sister. “Then to breakfast we go. I’m famished anyway. Aren’t you Parker?”

Parker, who had taken a backseat during everything, came forward. “I would say that I could use a strong cup of coffee.”

“I’ll walk you to the dining room and grab a muffin.” Lily said as their entourage followed. Once to the room, Lily grabbed her muffin and headed out.

A few minutes later she was walking into the injured woman’s room. She looked a little more peaceful and Lily looked at her chart. She had been heavily sedated the night before so that she could get a better rest. Lily went and moved a few strands of the red hair that was stuck in the bandaging. “I’m so sorry you were hurt. There is too much violence in this world.”

“But you are going to help stop a portion of it.” Came a voice from behind Lily.

“Good morning Ethan. How did you sleep?” Lily asked as she approached the young man.

“I slept a little. There is allot going to happen in the next coming weeks. Sometimes I can’t get to sleep trying to figure out what part I am to play in it.” Ethan moved toward the doorway he had come in through. “I don’t want to disturb her. Can we go into my room?”

Lily followed the young man into his room. He had only the overhead lighting on. “Do you want me to put the lights on?” Lily asked as she moved toward the light switch.

“No. Please. Can we leave it the way it is? The light distracts me from focusing. I have a message for you.” He said as he sat in one of the chairs in his room. He motioned for Lily to sit next to him.

“What message?” Lily asked curiously.

“You are going into a game that started long before you were born. There are people who have killed to stay in that game and they use people as pawns. Only by knowing the whole playing field and all the players can you expect to survive.” Ethan started.

“Ohh. Very cryptic.” Lily tried to lighten the conversation.

“I’m not joking Lily. The message is this - before you can proceed there is one thing you must accomplish. Know thy enemy.”

Lily got up and looked down at Ethan. “How do you know what I have to do? How do I know that you are not some Centre spy sent here to distract me?”

Ethan looked as if he were listening to someone. He looked up at Lily. “She says that I should tell you this. It’s a phrase that you learned when you were little. Something that she said you were never to forget. That it unlocked the memories and gave you the beginning of all the secrets.” Ethan stood up so he was face to face with Lily. “Cree Craw Toads Foot......”

“Geese Walk Barefoot.” Lily looked into Ethan’s eyes. “Catherine?”

*************************

The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Unexpected allies, unexpected enemies.

When will the two be revealed?
Destiny Arising by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Chapter 33: Destiny Arising



The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Unexpected allies, unexpected enemies.

When will the two be revealed?

*************************

Angels Hope
Destiny Arising




Ethan looked as if he were listening to someone. He looked up at Lily. “She says that I should tell you this. It’s a phrase that you learned when you were little. Something that she said you were never to forget. That it unlocked the memories and gave you the beginning of all the secrets.” Ethan stood up so he was face to face with Lily. “Cree Craw Toads Foot......”

“Geese Walk Barefoot.” Lily looked into Ethan’s eyes. “Catherine? Can you hear Catherine Parker?”

“I can hear many voices. But that voice is the strongest and I have come to trust it. If it says that you need to know your enemies, then you need to get to know your enemies.” Ethan listened once again. “You’re heading for danger. You hope to help an old friend.”

“Stop that!” Lily said as she moved away from Ethan. “Yes. I leave today on a mission. I need to settle the past with the future.”

“I think first you need to reconcile the present. You haven‘t gotten the information yet that you need to fight the Centre. Dr. Stedman is right. You’ve only seen a glimpse of the Centre and had a handful of memories. It will not help you.”

“Then my destiny is that I will fail.” Lily said lowering her head in defeat.

Ethan came up next to Lily and lifted her chin gently with his fingers. “Your destiny is what you make it. You have to find a way to gain the information that you need. Then success will be within your grasp.”

“I have to figure out a way to learn about the Centre. I have exhausted every means I could think of to get information about the Centre. I don’t have time to break into their main frame and Joan won’t let Jarod anywhere near a computer. After all this time..” Lily walked back to the doorway between the rooms and looked at the woman lying in the bed, “she’s afraid I will end up like her. She has never had her own child, but she has treated Becky and I like her daughters. She doesn’t want to risk losing us.”

“But if she doesn’t let happen what must happen, she is going to lose you anyway. The door has been opened; it can’t be shut now.” Ethan said as he joined her. “She is going to lose you to her demons or your own. You need to resolve your past in order to enjoy your future. That’s why she brought you here. So you could heal.”

“Why are you here?” Lily asked looking straight into Ethan’s eyes.

“Because this is where I need to be right now. The voices told me about two little hurt girls that needed to heal. Who were cared about by Catherine Parker so much that she risked her life to protect them. Who needed to hear a message. That is one of my missions. Ethan looked over to the sleeping woman “Bringing her here was another.”

Lily looked at the woman again. “She’s lucky you were there for her. The Centre doesn’t deserve to gain any more lives.” She paused for a moment. “Ethan, I have to go.”

“I know. Good luck.”

“You too. I’m sure your mother will be awake soon. I’ll check in with you when I get back.” Lily walked through the doorway and headed for the exit door.

“What - no hug?” Ethan said from behind her.

Lily turned, tilted her head, and looked at him. “You want a...” And she didn’t know if it was the look on his face, the twinkle in his eye or the fact that he somehow seemed to radiate a warm presence. She walked up to Ethan, gave him a hug, and a kiss on the cheek. “Why does it feel like that somehow we are connected?”

“Maybe because we both care about family.” Ethan responded.

“You are an enlightened young man for your age.”

“I take after my brother and two sisters.” Ethan volleyed back.

“Well then they are very lucky to have you as a brother. Take care.” Lily slid out the door. Max took up step behind he. She had to think of some way to get the information on the Centre that she needed. She repeatedly pushed the elevator button when an idea struck her. Lily pulled out her phone and dialed Veronica. “Ronnie, get the team together in Conference 1. I have a change in the plan for Los Angeles.”

Veronica responded on the other end. “You got it. Are we going to have fun times again? Should I call Dr. Stedman and Mark?”

Lily got on the elevator and pushed the floor button. “Negative. Just Alpha team. I’m on my way there now.” Lily clicked her phone shut.

*************************

Jarod opened the dining room door for Parker. She glided in with her usual Ice Queen strut. The guards followed her and one grabbed the door so that Jarod could continue into the room.

Parker went to pull her chair out when she saw the guards enter. “Will there ever be a period of time when you flying monkeys won’t have to escort us like Dorothy with the ruby shoes and Toto?”

“Parker. They are only doing their job and I am not a small canine.” Jarod stated confused at Parker‘s statement.

The two guards looked at each other. Parker’s guard, Morris, approached her. “It is our position that your restriction has not been lifted by Dr. Stedman Miss Parker. You may want to try throwing some water on her and then maybe after she melts your restriction would be lifted.” Morris went to sit in his seat as Jarod’s confusion turned to a smirk.

“Good one Morris. I’m getting to like you.” Parker said as she grabbed a croissant.

“Thank you ma’am.” The guard started filling his plate with food.

“What was that about Parker?” Jarod asked. “Why are you being so antagonistic?”

“I needed a sense of normalcy and I don’t have Broots to pick on. Morris has graciously taken up his spot.”

With a mouth full of food Morris replied, “Any time.”

“I wonder what Sam would do if he knew that you replaced him with...” Jarod motioned to Morris.

Parker cracked a smile. “What am I going to do with you?”

“Anything you like.” Jarod replied in a low tone that Parker could only hear.

The door opened and in walked Becky. She was bouncing with happiness. “Good morning Everyone.” She sung.

“Someone is in a Pollyanna mood.” Parker stated as she poured herself some juice.

“It is a beautiful day. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and love is...” Becky accidentally hit Jarod’s shoulder as she came around him to sit down. Suddenly a flash of Jarod and Parker together flooded her sight and then was gone, “definitely in the air. Had a good night did we?”

Parker’s face was a mixture of anger and dismay.

Becky picked up on the mood coming off Parker. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to pry. It’s just that some people come through like beacons. You two are lighthouses.”

“It’s all right Becky. We know that you didn’t intentionally do anything.” Jarod chimed in. “How was your evening?”

“Yes. Any revelations in your life last night?” Parker asked snidely.

“I have revelations every night I’m with my man Miss Parker.” Becky put on a big smile.

“Ahh. It’s definitely beginning to feel like home.” Parker picked up some eggs and took a bite. After chewing she looked at Jarod. “So what is Lily’s plan now?”

“We meet and head out to California. She has a team there already getting the building ready so she’ll have plenty of escape routes in case she fails with Lyle.”

“I’m still not sure about all this.” Becky started. “I’m not sure this Lyle is worth contacting. She has this ideal image of him in her mind, but from what you have both said he’s dangerous.”

“Who’s dangerous?” Everyone in the room turned toward the door. Mark entered and closed the door. Becky put her head down and started shoveling the food into her mouth.

“We were just discussing the psychological instability of my sibling. Care to share?” Parker quipped.

“Parker, enough. You’re feeling a bit too much like you’re home.” Jarod got up and walked over to where Parker was sitting. “Can we talk alone for a moment?”

“Sure. Why not.” Parker pushed her chair back and slinked to the corner of the room.

Mark sat himself next to Becky to try and give her the third degree.

Jarod came up beside Parker and whispered. “What is going on? Why are you acting like this?”

“Acting like what Jarod? Me? This is who I am. Smart mouthed, ill tempered, ....” Parker tried to explain.

“Warm, loving person. I thought we discussed this. You don’t have to be the Ice Queen.” Jarod, concerned for Parker, put his arm around her.

“Jarod. With what we are doing today, I need to be the Ice Queen. I can’t confront Lyle without it. So please let me have this now. You want me to change overnight; it’s not going to happen. When this is all over we can do the counseling thing and I’ll become Mary Sunshine. OK?”

“I never asked you to be this Mary Sunshine woman, I just want you to be you.” Jarod said as he looked at her with those puppy brown eyes.

“Don’t look at me like that. I might have to drag you to a coat closet and ravage you.” Parker whispered in his ear.

“Parker. There are no closets in this room, so unfortunately I can’t take you up on your offer. But when we are done, maybe we can go back to the arboretum.” Jarod gave Parker a huge smile.

A growling sound is all Parker said as she passed Jarod on her way back to the table. She had heard Becky and Mark start to debate over Lyle.

“I’m telling you she has everything under control. She always does Mark.” Becky was sipping her coffee as she tried to convince the man she was correct.

Mark argued. “I just don’t think she is making the most rational decisions right now. Where is Lily by the way?”

*************************

Lily was sitting at the table as her team assembled. Veronica walked in with Joel. Lily had mapped out her changes and had placed the photocopied papers on the table.

“OK Boss. We’re here. What’s the change and why the secrecy?” Veronica asked to the point.

“Everyone have a seat.” Lily clicked the button on the wall and a screen came down out of the ceiling. The blueprints of a building appeared. “The schematics of the building provided show that there are several exits where the team can escape the building. Ronnie and Joel will exit the rear window on the third floor. There will be a line waiting to be shot that will run from the building to the building caddy corner to the club.” The screen changed to show a block of buildings. “I don’t want to take the chance that they may have the building next door filled with Sweepers.”

“So we are still running under code red?” Asked the team member at the back of the table.

“Yes Stiles. We are under red until I can determine whether Bobby can be trusted or not.” Lily turned back to the board.

“I will be positioned here in costume waiting for him to arrive. Kemper, you will be watchdog till the event. If there is any sign that he or his personnel are moving on the building early we abort.”

“Yes. Ma’am. Where will I be stationed?” Asked Kemper.

“You will be positioned in this building.” Lily pointed to the building that the line would be shot to. “From what I can tell, it has the best view of the club and street. Now here is the change. If Bobby proves to be foe, then I will exit up this stairwell.”

“Lily, that leads to the roof.” Veronica noted. “How will you get out of the building?”

“I have that covered. My escape route is being set up as we speak. Everyone else, look over your copies and memorize your routes. Keep the schematics close to you. You never know when you may need a backup plan.”

The group grumbled the affirmatives. Veronica raised her hand to speak.

“Yes Ronnie.” Lily acknowledged her gesture.

“Where will Jarod and the Parker woman be during all this?”

Lily sat down. “They will be positioned with Kemper. If all goes well I will join them and we will all exit the area together.”

“You know she’s not going to go for it. She’ll want to be where the action is.” Veronica said with a smile. “She doesn’t seem like the sit on the sidelines kind of gal.”

“I know. But if Bobby sees her, we’re dead in the water. That’s why I will tell them that the plan will be going down there. That I am bringing Bobby back to that building.”

“You’re going to lie to your brother?” Veronica asked.

“Ronnie. If I tell him the truth, then he is going to come charging in like a knight on a white horse. We need warriors, not noblemen. So they both stay in the dark.” Everyone nodded in agreement. “OK. Then everyone is dismissed to train Omega Company. I need them up to speed before I leave.” Everyone got up and started to leave the room. “Ronnie, can you please wait for a minute?”

Veronica finished her conversation and closed the door after the last person left. “What’s up?”

“I need you to do something for me. I want you to take these envelopes and when the mission is over tonight, I need you to distribute them.” Lily took the four envelopes and handed them to Veronica.

“Why won’t you be able to hand them out? I know you, been your right hand woman from the beginning. I’m going to go straight to Stedman if you don’t talk. What’s really going on?”

Lily laughed. “You know that you would never go to Joan. But you’re right. You have been my confidant and my executioner of plan. You deserve to know the whole thing. Sit down.” Lily told Veronica her true plan.

*************************

After breakfast, Jarod coaxed Becky into taking him to Lily. Becky led Jarod and Parker to the observatory for the training area. As the trio entered the room, Becky hit the button that brought up the privacy shield for the windows. Below were rows of men and women, dressed in red workout suits, working on a mass drill. They were broken into groups of twenty led by a person dressed in black.

“What is this?” Jarod asked as he spotted his sister observing the groups. It seemed she was screaming at certain people.

“This is the training room. Where the teams learn martial arts and hold practice exercises.” Becky started to explain.

“Where did all the people come from?” Parker asked as she realized that the Angel’s Hope team was far more numerous than anything the Centre had.

“We have been recruiting. Slowly. People who were hurt by groups, like the Centre, who wanted to see justice served. Usually if we have helped them and they have no family ties, then they are more than willing to join.” Becky explained as she moved closer to the window.

Parker was now intrigued. “How do you determine if they are loyal? I mean the Centre usually holds something on someone. Or hires ruthless people. How do you know that they will keep your secret?”

Becky turned to look at Parker. “That’s my job here Miss Parker.”

“Sneaky. Using an empath to see if they are loyal. I like it.” Parker stared out the window. It looked like Lily was a drill sergeant in the Army.

“Are these people all on Lily’s team?” Jarod asked as he again looked at the massive group below him.

“No. They are the Omega team.”

Jarod, Parker, and Becky turned to see Mark standing behind them.

“Omega team. What is the Omega team?” Jarod asked.

“They’re Parker’s team if Lily should fail.” Mark put his hand up on the glass as Jarod and Parker stood behind him in shock.

*************************

The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Plans are revealed.

Plans are concealed.

Can the Players handle the pressure?
Destined Journeys by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Chapter 34: Destined Journeys

The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Plans are revealed.

Plans are concealed.

Can the Players handle the pressure?

*************************


Angels Hope
Destined Journeys



“Are these people all on Lily’s team?” Jarod asked as he again looked at the massive group below him.

“No. They are the Omega team.”

Jarod, Parker, and Becky turned to see Mark standing behind them.

“Omega team. What is the Omega team?” Jarod asked.

“They’re Parker’s team if Lily should fail.” Mark put his hand up on the glass as Jarod and Parker stood behind him in shock.

“My team? Why in the hell would anyone here give me a team? I thought they were afraid that I was still the enemy.” Parker questioned as she paced up and down the observation window.

“It was Lily’s idea.” Parker turned to him once again showing shock. “It seems that not everyone here suspects you of still having loyalties to the Centre. In this organization, Lily is what would be considered a General in the Army. She wanted someone who she felt could command that kind of power and respect in the event something happened to her.”

Parker looked at Lily through the window. She saw her putting the recruits through the wringer. She was yelling, pointing, and pushing them to their limits. Parker appreciated that. “I want to change and go down there.”

“You want to go...down there?” Becky asked. “With Lily?”

“Definitely. If I am to command the team, then I need to at least meet them. Get a feel for them. Mark, where can I get some workout clothes?” Parker headed for the door.

Mark looked at Jarod who shrugged. “Once she gets something into her head you can forget trying to change her mind. She’s like a pit bull.” Jarod smiled as Parker leered at him and opened the door.

“Anytime Dr. Mark.” Parker motioned for him to go out the door.

“No wonder Lily picked you.” Becky passed by Parker with Jarod following her closely. “She’s so bossy.” Becky quickly added as she went out the door.

Jarod broke a smile. “The woman is definitely an empath. She read you like a book.”

Parker pushed Jarod out the door and slapped him in the head. “You could have at least made me a good novel.”

Becky showed Parker where she could get the black outfit that Lily was wearing. She then led the group to the door of the training floor. Becky opened the door and motioned for Parker to go ahead. When Jarod went to follow, Becky stopped him. “Lily only allows team personnel in the training room. Parker has to go alone.”

Parker walked out onto the floor. She could see the various drill sergeants firing orders at the people. She looked through the people and finally spotted Lily on the other side of the room. Parker thought for a moment and then took on her best Ice Queen strut. She strode around the perimeter of the people checking them out as she went.

Lily spotted Parker coming around the perimeter and started to walk towards her. A microphone hung on her ear and she started speaking. “Listen up!” Everyone in the room came to a stop and put themselves at attention. “We have your Commander on the floor. Her name is Miss Parker. You will show her the same respect that you have shown me. Continue training.”

From the observation window Jarod could see Parker join in the group training session. She had chosen one person to perform an attack situation. Parker easily flipped the man onto his back. A smile of triumph came over her face. “This is only the second time since we got here that I have seen her truly happy.”

“She has found something that reminds her of the only existence that she has ever known Jarod.” Mark started. “But I hope that when push comes to shove that she honors what she has been given here over her alliance to the Centre.”

“I think that this is the closest she has ever felt to her mother. She loves her mother and wouldn’t want to destroy anything that she had created. Besides the only man she has ever known as her father is dead. She no longer has any ties to the Centre, except for Sydney and Broots. We have to get Lily to finish this game with Lyle so that we can protect Debbie. For all we know, the Centre could have her already.”

“Debbie’s fine Jarod.” Becky added to the conversation.

“How do you know that? I care about that family. I have protected that family and now she is in danger.” Jarod countered.

“Because Joan had her operatives at the Centre check on Broots and he is operating as if nothing had changed. And they said that they checked their home and Debbie was there. Whatever the Centre was going to do, they have put it on hold for some reason.”

“I can tell you the reason, Lily.” Jarod looked out the window at his twin sister.

**************************

Joan was closing her safe when she heard a knock on the door. “Come in.” She headed for her seat behind her desk.

The door opened and Lily walked through the door. “We’re almost ready to take off. You wanted to see me?”

Joan looked into Lily’s eyes. “Is everything set for your meeting with Lyle?”

“I just finalized confirmation that the building is set from the team in California. My team is set here. Parker has been introduced to her team. All that’s left is for us to board that plane to California.”

Joan leaned back in her chair and brought her hands clasped across her stomach. “Why do I have a feeling that you’re not telling me the whole truth? What do you have up your sleeve?”

Lily acting shocked. “Whatever could you be talking about? I have been nothing but truthful.” Lily batted her eyelashes.

Joan sat up. “Don’t give me that young lady. I know you’re up to something. You had a meeting with your staff about three hours ago. And I wasn’t notified.”

Lily flipped her hand. “Just a little impromptu meeting. Just getting some of the bugs out of the plan.” Lily’s voice got a little lower. “Mundane things. Didn’t want to waste your time.”

“I know you are planning to do something that you haven’t told me. I could cancel the whole thing right now. Confine you to your room.”

Lily jumped out of her chair. “You can’t do that. Things have been put into motion that can‘t be stopped now. You just can‘t do it!”

“Sit down.” Lily chocked her head to the side and closed her eyes trying to control the anger. She opened her eyes and plopped herself into the chair. After a few moments Joan smiled. “OK. Now you’re ready.”

Lily shot a look at Joan. “A test?”

“Yes. I had to make sure you were going to be able to stay cool headed no matter what the situation. What better test than direct confrontation.”

“You....” Lily pointed her finger at Joan.

Joan smiled again. “Don’t say it. Just say - ‘See you later’ and get out of here before I change my mind.”

Lily got up and headed for the door. She turned around. “See you later. Thank you for trusting my instincts.”

Joan came around the desk. “Make sure I don’t regret the decision.” Lily turned to leave. “Lily.” Lily turned around as she entered the hallway. “When this is all done, I have a special assignment for you. I have a package that arrived from Morocco and it needs to be disposed of. Do you understand?”

Lily shook her head in acknowledgement. “Understood. The final nail in the coffin of the Centre.” A second later Lily was gone.

Joan went to the picture of Catherine Parker. “Be with her Catherine. She’s going to need your protection.”

**************************

Lily, Jarod, Parker, Mark, and Lily’s team entered the plane. Becky watched from the tarmac. She knew that she was getting feelings from Lily that scared her, but she also knew that she had to trust her sister.

Everyone took their seats and they were in the air within fifteen minutes. Once the pilot had OK’d it, the passengers released their seat belts. Lily had taken a seat away from everyone. Parker and Jarod sat next to each other watching both Mark and Lily. They could see the concern and yearning on Mark’s face as he watched Lily.

Parker whispered to Jarod. “I wonder if he will get enough nerve up to approach her? I love to see men squirm. This is just as good as watching Broots and his attempts at lovelorn geek romance.”

Jarod frowned. “Parker, stop it. The poor man is obviously in love and in pain. They were supposed to get married. Now his life is turned upside down. And as for Mr. Broots, he can’t help but feel the way he feels. His obsession is the most beautiful woman on this planet.”

Parker looked sideways at Jarod. “You know that Broots has a crush on...”

Jarod motioned toward Lily and Parker turned her head. Lily had gotten up. Mark straightened up as she approached his seat. He had a smile on his face. She passed him and went to sit across from Jarod and Parker. Mark’s face fell and Jarod could see that his whole body sank in his seat. He felt sorry for the man who might, under other circumstances, have become his brother-in-law. Another family member ripped from him by the Centre.

“Jarod.” No response. “Jarod? Earth to Jarod.” Jarod looked up. “Welcome back. Hope you had a nice trip.” Lily half smiled as she wondered what Jarod was thinking. “I need for the two of you to do something for me.”

“What can we do for you Lily?” Parker asked intrigued.

“Anything for you.” Jarod chimed in.

Lily paused as she tried to formulate her question. “I want you to tell me everything you know about Raines, Lyle, Angelo, Alex, and..... Kyle.” Lily saw the pain in Jarod’s eyes. “I know that this is tough on you big brother, but I need to know. What Raines did to them. Their mental states. Their MO’s. Where they were held. Everything and anything you can think of.”

Jarod looked down at the floor. Parker saw Jarod’s pain too. “Let’s start with Alex. I can give you the information I know. Alex was one of the Pretenders under Raines. At that point he was still Dr. William Raines. Alex was known to the police as The Chameleon.”

“Because he could be anyone he wanted to be. Sounds familiar.” Lily half smiled.

“Alex started going after people that were connected to him, who had hurt him. He went on a major killing spree.”

Jarod added in. “He killed another Pretender named Edward Ballinger. When I escaped, he and Alex were with me. But Alex fell while we were running and..... We left him behind.” Jarod turned and looked out the window. Pain was written across his face. “The Centre found him and sent him to Africa. It’s where the Triumvirate is based.”

“What is the Triumvirate?” Lily asked.

Parker let out a laugh. “They are a group in Africa that believe they control the Centre. But they are idiots. They don’t control anything. They’re being played by Raines. He’s been promising them ultimate power for years by baiting them with these God forsaken scrolls.”

“Scrolls that Parker and I found on an island called Carthis, but Mr. Parker took from us. He jumped out of the Centre plane with the scrolls for reasons unknown.” Jarod chimed in.

Lily frowned. “Scrolls. And how are these scrolls suppose to give a person power? Do they have some form of scientific theory or weapon of some sort?”

“According to what we found out Lily, it has something to do with us. Catherine Parker and our mother Margaret were trying to find them so they would have the upper hand against the Centre.” Jarod could see that Lily’ mind was running. “Do you know something about the scrolls Lily?”

Lily shook her head no. “No. Nothing.”

Jarod could tell that it wasn’t totally the truth. “Could you have heard something about them at Angel’s Hope? Maybe...”

Lily touched Jarod’s cheek. “Jarod, please. Not now. I need to know about Alex. We can discuss the scrolls later.”

“OK. Needless to say that they burned the humanity out of him.” Jarod began.

“Not just the Triumvirate. Lyle. He became one of Lyle’s projects.” Parker now added. “Probably why he became so vicious. Lyle is an expert in torture and information retrieval. But Lyle said that Alex was whacked before he even got him. So Raines probably gave him the same wonderful childhood that you and brother dearest got.”

“And I wonder who got Lyle whacked?” Lily’s face grew angry. “I’ll give you one word. Raines.”

“The Centre did send Lyle to Asia, so I guess your answer would be yes.” Parker answered Lily. “And the Centre taught Alex that having no soul gave you the ultimate power. And Alex hated Jarod because the Centre thought that Jarod was more important as a Pretender than he was.”

“Alex felt that if you had no ties, then you would be free. So he killed his own family so that the Centre would have no hold over him. He thought that it was a weakness that I possessed and why I would never escape from the Centre. He also said that he knew things about me. Things he wouldn’t reveal. Like why the Centre wants me back so bad. That it wasn‘t because I was a Pretender.”

“So it goes back to the scrolls and that they say we have a destiny. Alex hated Jarod and I. He tried to blow me up, but Ethan saved me.” Parker said as she looked at her mother’s ring on her finger. Parker then remembered her mother’s notes. “I found notes in my mother‘s desk that...”

Lily looked up with a start. “Did you say Ethan?”

“Yes. Remember I told you that Raines killed my mother when Ethan was born. He’s my brother.”

“I forgot with everything that had been going on, that you told me that. That makes him my half brother also. Do you know where he is now?”

Jarod saw something spark in Lily‘s eyes. “He told me that he needed some space, some time to figure out what was going on in his life. He has the same inner sense that Parker does. He was having trouble controlling it. I let him go. So no, we don’t know where he is. I’ll introduce you two when we meet up again. He‘ll get in touch with us when he is ready.”

“I think it will be sooner than later.” Lily said in a low voice.

“What did you say?” Parker asked seeing Lily’s lips move, but not hearing what she said.

“Nothing. Ok. Tell me about Angelo.” Lily got herself back on track.

Jarod and Parker spent the rest of the flight telling Lily about the casualties of the Centre.

**************************

The building the group approached was a four-story brown building, weathered and beaten. There were rows of windows from the second floor up in the front and side of the building. The neighborhood looked as if it had seen plenty of action. The surrounding buildings looked as weathered as the one they were standing in front of. People mulled the streets in the pursuit of their everyday lives. By night, it would be full of people looking to be entertained and looking for answers.

Jarod looked up at the building that he would be occupying with Parker. He immediately started analyzing the exit ways and fire escapes. He could see that something had been attached to the roof that occupied the club. A line ran from one building to another. “Lily. What is that line up there? It doesn‘t look like a power or cable line.”

“That, dear brother, is escape route alpha.” She smiled as she entered the building.

Jarod and Parker followed Lily into the entrance of the club. Again Jarod went walking around the room examining the layout and formulating the possible outcomes of tonight’s encounter. “Lily. I’m not sure that you will have enough cover to be able to exact a safe enough escape.”

Parker was looking around the rest of the room. There was a stage at the far end of the room that had a platform that moved forward towards the dance floor. Stairs came down both sides of the front of the stage that ended on small platforms. Those platforms were joined to other smaller platforms with walkways. Each platform had steps down. The dance floor started at the stage and ended at carpeting that held numerous tables. “I have to agree with Boy Genius, there isn’t much cover here Lily. Lyle could have Sweepers right out in the open to grab you.”

Lily smiled. “That’s if the club looked like this when he gets here. When Bobby gets here, the club will be full of people dancing and there will be a stage show going on.” Lily brought Jarod and Parker around and pointed up. “There are black lights, blinking multi-colored flashing lights, and my all time favorite - a disco ball.”

“Disco ball?” Jarod asked.

“A rotating mirrored ball suspended from the ceiling. When hit with a spot light it casts moving sparkles of light through the room.” Parker pointed up to the ceiling where the ball was suspended. “So the atmosphere will be dark and the lighting distracting.”

“Yes. Plus the stage show has been designed with allot of techno effects. Becky really outdid herself this time.” Lily looked like a child describing her upcoming birthday party. “It will be perfect.”

Jarod turned serious. “How will you get out if the meeting doesn‘t go well? I don’t see many exits from this room.”

“Everyone in this room will be a member or affiliate of Angel’s Hope. We helped the citizens of this area get rid of a drug dealing gang that was terrorizing everyone. I show the sign and I will have all the cover I need. Then I will exit there.” Lily pointed to a doorway on the left side of the stage. “Since the entrance is on the opposite side, any Sweeper trying to retrieve me will have to make it through the room first. By then, I will be up the stairs and out of this building.”

Jarod shook his head. “I don’t know Lily. It still seems very dangerous. It’s not too late to still back out. Just go back to Angel’s Hope.”

“I never back down from a fight Jarod. And there is a young lady who doesn’t even know that her future rests in what happens tonight. She’s just a name to me, but she’s special to you two. I can’t allow anything to happen to her. And the only way I can assure that is to go through with tonight. A close friend today said I needed to know my enemy. So that’s what I am doing. I’ll be fine.” Lily smiled that infectious smile that she had.

“All right. But I am going to be keeping both eyes on you.” Jarod poked Lily on the nose.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Lily gave Jarod a hug.

*************************

Ethan looked at the woman lying in the bed. She was stirring a little, again mumbling the name he knew she was saying over and over again. “It’s all right Margaret. You’re safe and Jarod is safe too. I have to go for a little while. I have to go get everyone else. Something is about to happen. I can hear the voices telling me that I have to get them now. So these nice people will look after you and I will be back as soon as I can.”

Ethan picked up his jacket and went out into the hall.

A guard came out of the doorway two doors down. “Can I help you sir?”

Ethan put on his jacket and met the man half way. “Yes. Can you please tell Dr. Stedman that I need to see her? I need to leave the facility now.”

*************************

Players are readying for the next segment of the Game.

Some are playing the Game openly.

Another has secrets and agendas.

One must complete his mission before the opposition reigns.
Uneasy Times by ScifiColleen
Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Chapter 35: Uneasy Times



The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Plans are revealed.

Plans are concealed.

Can the Players handle the pressure?

*************************


Angels Hope
Uneasy Times




Ethan looked at the woman lying in the bed. She was stirring a little, again mumbling the name he knew she was saying over and over. “It’s all right Margaret. You’re safe and Jarod is safe too. I have to go for a little while. I have to go get everyone else. Something is about to happen. I can hear the voices telling me that I have to get them now. So these nice people will look after you and I will be back as soon as I can.”

Ethan picked up his jacket and went out into the hall.

A guard came out of the doorway two doors down. “Can I help you sir?”

Ethan put on his jacket and met the man half way. “Yes. Can you please tell Dr. Stedman that I need to see her? I need to leave the facility now.”

“If you will step back into the room, then I will call Dr. Stedman.” Ethan went back into Margaret’s room. The guard pulled his cell phone open and dialled Stedman’s office. After a short conversation, he snapped the phone closed and went to the door. “Dr. Stedman will be down in a few minutes.”

Ethan had taken a seat next to Margaret, laying his jacket across his legs. The voices were talking all at once and the trick he had learned to hear his mother’s voice was being overridden. He put his head into his hands and tried again to quiet the ones he didn’t want to hear. He also had come to know that when there were many voices, it meant that something was about to happen. In his concentration, he didn’t hear the footsteps that entered the room.

Dr. Stedman went over to the young man. “Are you in need of medical attention?”

Ethan looked up. “No Dr. Stedman. I’m fine. I need to leave the facility. There are others that are in danger that I would like permission to bring here.”

Stedman looked concerned. “How many ‘others’ are we talking about?”

“Two others. Her family.” Ethan said as he looked in Stedman’s face for her reaction.

And it was there. Surprise. “You mean your family.”

Ethan got up and looked at Margaret. “Yes and no. It’s complicated. Her husband, who’s my father, and her daughter, my half sister.”

“She’s not your mother. Then who are you?”

“The son of a close friend who wants you to know that she appreciates everything you have done with Angel’s Hope. And protecting her children.”

“Catherine? You’re Catherine Parker’s son. That’s impossible. She had no other children prior to her death.”

“She trusted Raines and he betrayed her. Miss Parker found out that Catherine was impregnated by Raines. And that child was a product of Catherine and Jarod’s father. When I was born, Raines killed her.”

“So when you say she appreciates everything that I have done, you can hear her. You have her inner sense?”

“Yes. I can hear voices that I try to filter and hear her. She has been guiding me. She brought me to her.” Ethan nodded toward Margaret. “So can I please leave? Soon the world will be changing and lines will be drawn. Anyone associated with Miss Parker and Jarod will be in danger.”

Stedman took a moment to digest what she was hearing. “I knew something was wrong the last time I spoke to her. She said that she was attempting something dangerous. That she would get in contact with me when she could. That’s the last I heard from her. Then one of the operatives said that she had shot herself in an elevator in the Centre. I knew she would never do that. That she had planned to bring Jarod and Little Miss Parker here.” Stedman looked at Ethan’s face, trying to see some resemblance of Catherine. “How can I trust that you are Catherine’s son?”

Ethan concentrated on hearing what his mother’s voice was saying. After a few minutes, Ethan lifted his head. “She says that she’s sorry.” Ethan paused, listening intently. “That she...sent Jacob...” Ethan paused again. “Back to the Centre.” Ethan concentrated on the words and then looked up. “Jacob loved you very much.”

Stedman’s eyes teared at the mention of Jacob’s name. “No one but Catherine and Sydney knew that Jacob and I were a couple.” Joan delicately ran her hand down Ethan’s face. “You are Catherine’s son. And you’ve mastered interpreting your inner sense. Not an easy task. Even your mother couldn’t always control it.”

There was a knock on the door and Dr. Stedman turned to see Dr. Lorn standing in the doorway. “May I come in? It’s time to remove her bandages.”

“Certainly Dr. Lorn. Please come in.” Stedman turned back to Ethan. “Before I let you go; I want to know one thing. What is your real name?”

“My name is Ethan. Thank you Dr. Stedman.” Ethan took Stedman’s hand to convey his thankfulness and headed for the door.

“Ethan. There is one stipulation.” Stedman announced which turned Ethan around.

“Stipulation?” Ethan asked.

“You take two of Parker’s team with you. If the situation is getting dangerous, then I will not have Catherine Parker’s son out there without protection.”

Ethan took a long inhale. “I’m not sure that I will be able to get near my father with other people with me.” Ethan saw Stedman’s decision in her face. “All right. I will take one person with me. Agreed?”

“Agreed.” Stedman took out her phone. “Alex. Please have the best agent for the Omega Team report to the tarmac. They will be guarding a very important person, Ethan, and will follow his orders. Thank you.” Joan clicked the phone closed. “God speed Ethan. Take care of yourself.”

Ethan acknowledged Stedman’s heartfelt farewell. He turned and followed his guard to the elevator.

Stedman turned toward the patient just as the doctor removed her dressing. The person she saw just confirmed what Ethan had told her. She went over and took the woman’s hand. She was older, but Stedman recognized her. “Oh Margaret.”

**************************

Lyle’s spacious room left allot of space for him to pace. He had to dodge Sydney and meet Lily in a matter of hours. The fact that the Sweepers were outside his door didn’t help either. Lyle looked through the peephole of his hotel room and could see the two men still standing there. “Don’t these people have a life?” He said to himself. “Of course not idiot, you terrorized them into not having lives.” For once his own tactics were working against him.

Lyle got an idea and called to order room service. “This is room 917. I would like an order of Chicken chow mien, egg rolls, and wonton soup. I don’t care if you don’t carry it on the menu, get it for me ASAP. I need to make an appointment.”

Thirty minutes later the room service attendant approached Lyle’s room balancing his tray of food. The two men standing guard in front of the door made the man fidget nervously. Paul, the lead Sweeper, looked over the tray and acknowledged Mr. Lyle’s normal cuisine. He turned and knocked on the door.

Lyle opened the door with a jerk. “It’s about time you got here.” Lyle studied the man.

The attendant walked through the two men and Lyle slammed the door closed. “I’m sorry Sir if the food hasn’t arrived in a timely manner.” The man put the tray down on the table that stood toward the end of the room. He started asking if Lyle wanted the bill charged to his room, when the man was struck in back of the head.

Lyle brought back his gun and put it back in his holster. He stripped the man of his uniform. He put it on over his shirt and trousers. A little big, but hopefully the goons wouldn’t notice. Lyle took a quick mouthful of chow mien and pulled the tray from under the plates. He went to the door and positioned the tray to block his face. He opened the door and shuffled past the guards. He deepened his voice. “Man in there said he doesn’t want to be disturbed. Seems like a pit bull, better listen.

Both men nodded in agreement.

Lyle saw their movements and made a mental note of it. He continued down the hall to the elevator and pushed the button. Once inside with the doors closed, Lyle stripped off his outer layer. He got off the elevator and headed for the main entrance. He would find a cab a little farther down from the hotel. And then he would be on his way to meet his fate.

As Lyle walked out the rotating doors, a figure stepped out of the shadows to follow.

**************************

Broots sat at his desk. He was running a standard search for the statue that Sydney had been looking for. The computer was running the search and all there was to do was wait. He nervously rocked back and forth in his chair every so often looking around the quiet room.

And it was too quiet. Sydney was no where to be found. And it was so unlike him to leave and not let anyone know where he was going. Also no one knew where Mr. Lyle had gone either. So now Miss Parker, Sydney, and Mr. Lyle made up the list of missing. The list was growing, this was not good.

Broots picked up his picture of Debbie that he had on his desk. He was glad for one thing. There was always one constant in his life. His little Debbie. But she wasn’t little anymore. She was growing up so quickly. At least he knew that no matter what happened at the Centre, she was untouched by it. For that he was thankful.

He hoped that wherever Miss Parker and Sydney were, that they were safe. And would be back soon. With the office empty, it gave him the creeps. Broots put Debbie’s picture down and proceeded to go over what information the computer had spit out.

And there it was. The statue that Sydney had been looking for. He picked up his cell phone and speed dialed Sydney’s number.

“Hello. This is Sydney. Please leave a message at the tone.”

“Sydney. This is Broots. I found the statue’s origin. Please give me a call as soon as possible.” Broots hung up the phone. It was the same message he had gotten all day. “Where are you Sydney?”

**************************

Lily was checking out the stage area. Becky had given her the script for tonight’s show and she was memorizing the choreographics. She knew that tonight had to go flawlessly. It not only meant finding out about Bobby’s mental condition, but that the safety of her team relied on her decisions.

Ronnie and Joel headed for the exit on stage right to check the exits on the upper floors. They went through a door that opened up on the roof and started inspecting everything that Lily had ordered in place. Joel went and checked the line that was connected by a loop hook into the building’s concrete. He pulled on the line to make sure it would withstand their weight. After being satisfied that the line was secure, he walked over to Ronnie. “What is that for?” The confused man asked. “I don’t remember that being in the plans.”

Ronnie looked at the circular unit sitting on the edge of the roof. “It’s in the plan now. Per Lily. Nothing more is to be said.”

“Yes Ma’am.” Both went back through the door back into the building.

Jarod was standing in the middle of the room. He was running scenarios: picturing a room full of people. Noise, music, people talking, drinking. How would Lyle enter? Would he be alone? He looked over at Lily. She was checking out the stage area. It looked as if she were up there for some sort of weird musical. But she wasn’t.

He thought about Kyle. How little time they had had to get to know each other. The first member of his family he had ever met. Ripped away from him by Lyle. Would Lily be pulled down the same path?

They also had had so little time together. Everything had moved so fast. In his quest for finding out the truth about himself, he had opened her up to the pursuit of Lyle. But he also knew that it was her search for herself that drove her. The same drive that he had. They needed to know who they were. And it was for this reason that he didn’t grab Lily and Parker and run.

Run to where the Centre couldn’t find them. But that drive was too strong. Neither of them would be able to live not knowing the whole truth. And for Lily, Lyle held part of her puzzle. He hoped that she was right, but he still had his hatred for the man that had killed his brother.

Jarod’s eyes wandered up to the disco ball, when the lights went out and a spotlight hit the ball.

Lily turned, pulled her gun from the back of her pants and ducked down. She was looking through the flickering lights for movement.

Jarod dove behind one of the dance platforms. He could see movement coming from across the room. He slowly crept around the main walkway and hid behind the next set of round stages. He pulled the 9mm from the holster he had been given at Angel’s Hope.

Lily’s eyes had adjusted to the darkened room and had slipped behind the curtain on stage left. She moved the curtain with the nose of her gun and saw movement by the entrance door. She strained to see if the figure looked like Lyle or the Sweeper teams.

The figure moved along the wall. It seemed like it stumbled over something. Jarod approached from the front, Lily from the figure’s right. Just as both pointed their weapon at the figure, the lights suddenly came on.

“Ahhhhhh.” A scream was heard.

*************************

The World is a Game.

And we are only Players.

Is destiny fated?

Or do the Players control their destinies?

Only time will tell.
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=2700