Intent Series by KB
Summary: Jarod makes a few new friends who could be very useful for him.
Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: Broots, Jarod, Lyle, Miss Parker, Mr Parker, Mr Raines, Original Character, Other Centre Character, Sam, Sydney
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 21801 Read: 2722 Published: 02/06/05 Updated: 02/06/05

1. Part 1 – Intent to Live by KB

2. Part 2 – Intent to Kill by KB

Part 1 – Intent to Live by KB
Intent Series
Part 1 – Intent to Live



Jarod stood in the shadows caused by the rising sun and looked out over the lake. The pier stretched out like a pointing finger, ending abruptly about five metres into the lake. Only about half the lake was visible from where he stood, the other half blocked from view by a wall of branches and the natural curve of the shore. Jarod took his eyes from the shimmering water long enough to glance at his watch and, as he looked up again, saw the person he was obviously intended to meet striding out over the wooden structure. Getting a firmer grip on the silver case at his side, Jarod stepped out into the early-morning light and gradually made his way over to the strange man.


"Are you the man I was told to contact?"


"I'm here ain't I? So I guess I must be."

The words were spoken sullenly from the twisted mouth and Jarod took a closer look, out of the corner of his eye, at the man's face. His attention was momentarily distracted by the sound of a voice at the other side of the lake and, as he turned back, saw the rapid movement of the stranger's arm, swinging the club he held. Jarod's own movement had caused him to slightly lose his balance and the blow sent him off the pier. As he hit the water, there was a bright flash of light before his eyes, followed by darkness.

The stranger, unperturbed, stood for a few seconds, watching the body sink below the surface. However, before he could watch it completely disappear, the assailant heard a distant splash as someone dived into the lake. The man looked up and ran off down the pier, throwing the wooden block into the shallows as he ran. In the blink of an eye he had disappeared into the shadows and the sound of a car starting up and driving off showed that he had left.

The swimmer, a young female, arrived at the pier in time to see Jarod's hand disappear below the surface. Diving quickly, she grabbed Jarod and pulled him to the surface. She towed him to the bank and pulled him up out of the water. Having realised that he was still breathing, if raggedly, the girl rolled Jarod onto his side and tried to clear some of the pond weed from around his face and neck. As she watched, his eyelashes flickered and she bent over him.


"It's all right. I've got you. You're okay now."


Jarod, having struggled to regain consciousness, found himself slipping back into it again. He had a hazy image of a face framed by brown hair and sparkling blue eyes before his eyes closed and he fell back into the blackness.

The girl continued to check Jarod's pulse while she tried to clean more of the mud from the lake off his clothes. Finally she heard a siren, announcing that an ambulance was on the way. As the vehicle drew up, one man jumped out and came over to her. Kneeling beside Jarod's body, he checked for signs of consciousness, while talking to the girl.


"What happened?"


"I don't really know. I was swimming and heard a loud splash. I swam around the trees and, as I came close to the pier, I saw this white thing sinking. As I got closer, I saw that it was a hand. I pulled him out of the water and waited until you came. That's all."


"Name?"


"Susan."


"Susan what?"


"I'd...rather not say."


By now a small crowd had gathered. The two ambulance men turned their attention to their patient, eventually succeeding in bringing him round. At the sight of the uniforms, Jarod stiffened. It was not until that the full situation was explained to him that Jarod allowed himself to be treated and put onto the gurney. The ambulance attendant, as he explained the situation, turned to the spot where Susan had been standing, gesturing with his hand.


"A girl helped you. She's..." he paused. "She was over there."


The place where the girl had been standing was empty and there was no sign of her. Of course, the EMT reasoned aloud, she could have either slipped through the crowd or swum away. There was no further reason for them to stay and the vehicle drove away.

* * *


Jarod descended the ramp of the hospital entrance in the wheelchair and climbed from it into the back seat of a waiting taxi. He had protested against the use of the wheelchair but was told that it was standard policy. The week he had been forced to stay in hospital had given him feelings closer to claustrophobia than he had ever had in his life before. The young female cab driver flicked her long, brown curls over her shoulder and grinned to herself as she pulled away from the curb. Her passenger was lost in thought and so, curbing her natural eagerness and curiosity, the driver did not speak until she pulled up to the place where the young man had requested her to leave him. Jarod was so absorbed in his thoughts that he failed to notice the taxi only moving a few feet before stopping again. The blue eyes of the driver gleamed as she watched the tall man enter the building and she looked down at the silver case that sat on the floor of the cab, filling much of the floor-space of the passenger seat.

The next day, Jarod straightened his tie and brushed some imaginary dust from the sleeve of his jacket before ascending the three stairs to the office of an accountancy firm. Having been told to take it easy for a few weeks, Jarod had decided to pursue an occupation that had long interested him, rather than one with a particular Pretend involved in it. As with every other situation, he slipped naturally and easily into the workplace and enjoyed the work. After almost a week there, he had become acquainted with all of his fellow work-mates and was deeply involve in the job.

One morning he was carrying several files down a staircase to the photocopier on the floor below. A woman, coming up towards him, noticed a damp spot on the stair, which Jarod, due to the large pile of papers he carried, could not see. At the same moment as she reached out, his foot slipped, and he would have fallen had the woman not grabbed his arm.


"It's all right. I've got you. You're okay now."


By the time Jarod regained his balance, the woman had disappeared through a door on the next landing and disappeared. Jarod spun around to follow her but was prevented from doing so by a call from below.


"Jarod, have you got the Mendelson file? We can't find it!"


Suppressing a curse, Jarod continued down the stairs and, through the door, into a large office. He put down the files and began absent-mindedly photocopying them. It had taken him less than a second to place the voice and he was urgent in needing to see the girl again.

Another week had passed and Jarod was no closer to learning the identity of his savior than he had been since the accident itself. A further frustration was the complete disappearance of the Haliburton case and he was concerned that perhaps he had lost a bargaining chip in his dealings with the Centre. If it had been returned to them then he would never see it again and, being a complete record of his life, he felt that he could not afford to let it go. Covert questioning of Sydney had brought him no closer to solving the mystery of their disappearance and he had even considered going back into the Centre to try and get it back.

On the way to work one morning, Jarod's attention was distracted by the obscure behaviour of another pedestrian. A man appeared to be trailing a woman of moderate height with curly brown hair. Divining the intentions of the culprit, Jarod moved to try and prevent the situation. What he saw stopped him in his tracks. As the sunlight flickered off the blade which appeared from out of the strange man's sleeve, Jarod saw the girl's leg fly up and hit the man's wrist, sending the blade spinning down the footpath towards Jarod, who placed his foot on it instinctively. As he watched, open-mouthed, the former aggressor was treated to some superior karate moves, which left him gasping for breath. Smothering his laughter, Jarod moved in to separate the two, fearing, it must be admitted, more for the safety of the young man than of his prospective victim.

His initial attempt to restrain the movements of the woman met with little success. Finally, however, he managed to stop the aggressive action and gave the man opportunity to escape, a chance which was quickly taken. Eventually Jarod felt that it was safe to let the woman's arms go and, fearful, as ever, of being hindered, he turned to leave. A laugh made him turn back and, for the first time, he looked at the girl he had 'saved'. The sparkling blue eyes held his gaze for a moment before he had liberty to notice, and instantly recognize, the chestnut curls cascading down her back and which she brushed away from her face with an impatient hand.

Before he had a chance to speak, she turned on her heel and began striding away. He stood, stunned, for a moment, before chasing after her. She turned up a small side street and, getting to the mouth of it only seconds later, Jarod saw the girl enter a small, tumbledown apartment block. By the time she had reached the door of her apartment and was hunting for her key, he was standing behind her. About to touch her on the shoulder, he first coughed slightly, both to clear his throat and to alert her to his presence.


"Jarod, I know you're there. Will you come in?"


Without waiting for an answer, she threw open the door and walked into the light and airy apartment, Jarod following close behind. He closed the door behind him as she hung the key to the outer door up on a conveniently placed hook and then led the way into the living room.


"Would you like to sit down? I'll go and get us something to drink."

Not knowing exactly what else to do, Jarod took a seat on one of the two lounge chairs in the room. With his back to the wall, he was able to take in the pleasant aspect of the room before his host returned, carrying a laden tray. While she poured the drinks, he was able, for the first time, to get a good look at the person who had forced herself upon his notice. Feeling his gaze, she looked up and smiled.


"I believe I have something of yours. Allow me to return it."


While Jarod sat, confused, the girl slipped through a door, only to return carrying a very familiar-looking case. Leaping out of his seat, Jarod grabbed it from her and opened it. As he hunted through, checking that nothing was missing, the girl spoke again.


"It still works; I checked."


"You mean you..."


"Watched the tapes - never! I wouldn't pry into your life! No, I ran a few other things, though, and it works fine now. I had to do a little cleaning out though. Apparently pond weed and technical equipment don't like each other much." She sat back and sipped her coffee as her eyes danced in amusement and her lips twitched. Jarod, finally reassured, sat back on his seat and looked at her incredulously.


"Why?"


"Sensible question."


"Good. Now how about a sensible answer?"


"Okay. Ummm - because."


Jarod was becoming frustrated. "How about something I can understand?"


A grin curled the edges of the girl's mouth. "Maybe if you don't understand the answer, it's because you're asking the wrong questions, Jarod."


"How did you know my name?"


She grinned. "Wouldn't you like to know?!"


He glared at her. "Stop playing games with me!"


She yielded. "Oh, all right. I heard somebody say it in the office, a bit over a week ago."


"You're not still working there, are you?"


"No. I didn't stay very long."


"How did you get my case?"


"I rescued it when I rescued you - remember?"


"I have a hard time forgetting it."


"Oh, come on. You only spent a week in hospital afterwards."


"How did you know?"


"That's my little secret."


"When I was put into the ambulance, you weren't there."


"Not as far as you could see, anyway."


Jarod was becoming more frustrated with the ambiguous responses and he finally allowed it to show, snapping at her. "For God's sake, give me a straight answer!"


With affected innocence the girl grinned. "Gee, maybe that stay in the hospital did have an effect. Usually you're nice to people, like when you 'saved' me just now." There was a pause. "Oh, by the way, coffee's better hot than cold."


Jarod took a sip of his drink before replying. "What's your name?"


"I've been wondering when you'd ask. It's Susan."


"Susan what?"


"Not sure."


"What do you mean?"


"I never had a chance to meet my father and I've never really bothered to find out what my name was when I was registered at birth."


"Go on."


"We - my mother and I - moved around a lot, escaping from her abusive boyfriends mainly, and at every place and every new school I had a new surname. It's kind of a hard habit to break."


"Doesn't it bother you, not knowing who you really are?"


"Not really. I mean, if I was ever inspired to look and find out, I might get involved but I figure that what I don't know can't hurt me. Actually it's kind of fun sometimes. It's not like anyone deliberately hid the truth from me - at least I don't think they did."


"What do you do?"


"As a job, you mean? Actually, I drift a lot. I've done a few things - taxi driver, microbiologist, office clerk, traffic cop. I like the variety."


"That's a heck of a jump!"


"True. I get sick of the same thing all the time - maybe it's from always moving when I was younger. Then, like now, I could always meet new people and make new friends. Of course, I've had to leave a lot of them behind but that's something you get used to."

Jarod opened his mouth but closed it again until he could organize his thoughts to frame a proper question. Susan stood and went over to the window. Then she turned to him.


"I'll tell you what happened and then you won't have to get all hot and bothered, asking questions. At the time you got knocked into the water of that lake, I was getting ready to practice a hobby of mine. Scuba diving, before you ask. Anyway, I heard the splash and thought that no one in their right mind was going to dive into that end of the lake. There's usually a big sign there, warning of the dangers of diving into the shallows. If anyone were going to dive, they'd use the deep end, which was where I was. So I swam around the curve of the lake but, even though I was under water, I could still hear a second splash, which was not as big as the first one. That's when I got suspicious. When I came around, I couldn't see anyone, but there was an object that sank as I neared it and which turned out to be your hand. Anyway I pulled you out and dragged you onto the bank. You were still breathing but I cleared some of the weeds away from around your face and I thought you were coming around and, so you'd know you weren't alone, I talked to you. I said..."


"..."It's all right. I've got you. You're okay now." "


"Very good," she said condescendingly, with a grin. "I wondered if you'd remember. Anyway I stayed there until the ambulance arrived and then, when I told the guys what they wanted to know, I went back to rescue that case of yours. It’d become wedged under the pier. When I was in the water again, and after you were put into the ambulance, I decided it would be better to just keep swimming, and so I left. I'm not one for drawing attention to myself."


"Then you'd better quit using karate moves on people when you're standing on a public street!"


"Oh, come on, Jarod. What else did you expect me to do? Let him take my bag? I'm not going to do that! Anyway I learnt to defend myself so that people wouldn't treat me the way they treated my mother. Ever since I was really little I decided that I wouldn't put up with that kind of thing from anyone. I actually teach classes in it every now and again. Karate, that is. Not the behaviour itself."


"Sounds good. Maybe I should learn."


"I think you'd probably pick it up pretty quickly. Of course, if your going to continue to hang around with the people who sent you for that unexpected swim, the sooner you do it, the better for everyone, especially yourself."


"How do you know about that?"


"When I pulled up to the parking lot, I saw a car there that everyone in this area's pretty familiar with, and avoids like the plague. There's a well-known gang that hangs around and causes trouble. They've been involved with every dirty deal in this area that's occurred over the past few years. The faces may change but the cars, the attitude, the money - never. The only reason that the police aren't after them is that half of the police are under their thumbs in the biggest way. In fact I think half the population of this place owes them something. I've seen them walk into a shop and walk out with half the stuff and the store owners obligingly reroute the film through the security cameras to make it look as though nothing happened. It's all petty stuff but there's usually a big thing behind all the little things."


"Big?"


"Yeah, you know. Kidnapping, drug-dealing, murder. Anything that'll really scoop in the money. That's the only part of the gang thing that's any kind of secret."


"But, wait a minute. If it's secret, how do you know about it?"


Susan shuffled her feet and looked down at the carpet without speaking.


"You might as well tell me."


"What could you do? You work in an office, remember? As an accountant. They don't usually have much sway. Unless, of course, you decided to take part in a massive job change, as big..."


Susan stopped speaking, giving Jarod the opportunity to confirm what he had been beginning to suspect all along. "...as big as some of yours. Come on, give. What are you, really? A spy?"


"Not...not exactly."


"Tell me."


Susan stood up from the seat she had taken only minutes before and, walking over to Jarod, stood over him with her arms folded and a big grin on her face. "Just a minute, here. I saved you from almost certain death and I think that gives me the right to a privilege or two. Like, how do you go from being involved with a gang like this one, which has connections all over the state..."


"Country."


"Whatever. And don't interrupt. It's rude. To continue... from a gang this size to working with the best accountancy firm in the district. That's a bigger jump than some of the ones I've tried myself. I think we could be sharing more than just hair color here. There's no chance of you - us - being overheard here so what say you tell me your history and then I'll tell you mine."

* * *


There was a moment of silence once Susan had finished speaking and Jarod tried, vainly, to conceal his astonishment.


"Just to clarify...you're a...Pretender? Like me?"


"Well, I never called it that. It was just a gift I had. But, yes, I suppose so."


"Wow!"


"I don't know why you're so surprised about it. I mean, you knew that other Pretenders existed."


"Yes. But not outside the Centre."


"I should introduce you to my friend. She's like me too."


Jarod stood and went over to the window and rested his head on the glass. "I can't cope with this! You mean there's more of you?"


"Just the two of us, so far. Look, let me get Jaclyn. She only lives next door."


When Jarod turned around it was to find himself alone and he had time to become a little wary before Susan reappeared, towing another girl after her.


"Jaclyn, this is Jarod."


"Nice to meet you."


Even as Jarod shook hands with the stranger, a plan was forming in his mind. The three sat down and exchanged stories of their different lives and work. Eventually Jarod asked a question that he had been considering for some time.


"Have either of you ever considered secretarial work? I've heard a rumor..."


* * *


Sydney was at home that evening, finishing some work, when the phone rang.


"This is Sydney."


"You're not still working? That's not like you."


"Jarod, hi! No, I'm almost done for the day."


"Gee, and it's only just after ten. I can remember nights when we worked until after midnight."


Sydney tried to detect bitterness or reproach in Jarod voice but was unable to do so. "If you miss it, I'm sure Raines wouldn't object if we used some of the Centre's facilities."


"Thanks, but no. I'll just live on the memories. And the DSAs. Of course you know that it's not healthy for a man in your position to work as hard as you do."


"I assume you have a solution..."


"Of course. Don't I always? Except that you can't sell this solution. In fact, it might actually cost you money."


"Go on."


"A secretary."


"A what?"


"No, not a what. A secretary. Most people use them now. I've been one myself."


"Wait. Let me get this straight. You're offering yourself...to me...as a secretary?"


"Of course not! I'm not going to do your job for you! I just thought that maybe it could work, that's all. Give everyone a bit more spare time, give you a better chance to actually get all your files up to date - there's a heap of stuff missing, by the way."


"How do you know?"


"I looked. How else do you thing I'd be able to know?"


"Were you looking for anything in particular?"


"Are you offering to help me look?"


"Well, no. I'd like to live a little longer."


"Then you should work less hard. Listen, how would this do? In the Classifieds section of the newspaper: 'Wanted. A secretary with basic typing, word processing and virus debugging skills for a large firm with regular multi-national dealings. Should also be able to deal with regular unlawful technological intruders. Versatility a must, good looks a definite advantage. Must not be turned off by physical defects or massive scarring, particularly baldness and burns. Should also be willing to be under constant scrutiny and to feel constantly repressed at all times. Must not be fearful of dark places or people in dark clothing. Reticent nature an added bonus if includes ability to keep mouth shut.' There, how would that do?"


"Jarod, that fails being funny, it's just pathetic!"


"Oh, come on, Sydney. Just because I poke fun at the place that brought me up, or perhaps dragged me up might be more accurate, that's no reason for you to sound so disapproving. But don't you think a secretary would be a useful thing to have?"


"Well, maybe."


"I'll see if I can't do something about it, then."


Sydney was about to respond when he realized that Jarod had already hung up. It was usually very frustrating when he did that, but, this time, it prevented Jarod from realizing that he, Sydney, had actually found the advertisement he had created somewhat amusing. He just wished that Raines would consider the idea for longer than a few seconds.

* * *


By the time a week had passed, Sydney had completely forgotten the conversation. It was, therefore, something of a surprise when Raines appeared in his office, accompanied by a tall girl with red hair and dark green eyes.


"Sydney, the Tower feels that it's about time you devoted more time to our little 'problem' and left things like filing and typing of notes to an outside source. That's why we brought in a secretary. This is Jaclyn Thomas. She'll be working in the outer desk. And now, if you'll excuse me..."


Raines withdrew and Sydney waved the new employee to a nearby seat.


"Please sit down Ms Thomas..."


"Call me Jaclyn."


"Of course. Tell me about yourself."


"I've been working for a large, multi-national firm for about nine years but they went into liquidation and were forced to close. When I went to the unemployment office, they directed me here."


"Good, good. Do you have the reference from your previous employers?"


"I left that with the man who met me at the entrance. I'm sorry, did I do the wrong thing?"


"No, not at all. Well, I think we may as well get started. Let me introduce you to some of your colleagues."

* * *


Jarod listened through the miniature headset and grinned at Susan. He flicked a small switch on the body of the machine from 'send and receive' to 'receive' and spoke aloud.


"Well, they fell for it, hook, line and sinker."


"You're lucky she was willing to do it."


"Hey, it was a challenge. She enjoys them. We all enjoy them. Besides, if they had suspected anything, I would have had her out of there quicker than a bat out of..."


"Okay, okay, I get the picture. What now?"


"Now we let her get settled in and turn our attention to the next job."


"The girl?"


"You got it?"

* * *


The conversation, after planning the 'invasion' of the Centre, had gone back to the local gang and Jarod, after learning about many of their activities, had decided to shut them down for good. The problem was learning where they were going to strike next. Jarod himself, having already been involved, could not try to permeate the inner circle but Jaclyn, it was decided, would be safe enough. Over the space of a week, as well as priming for her new secretarial post, Jaclyn had been learning about the next 'big' job due to be done by the group. Once she had explained the situation, there was silence in the small room that was Jarod's latest lair.


"I take it these people have no morals," Susan said softly.


"I guess not," the man agreed glumly.


"But to take a dying girl - even one due to inherit as much as she is - it isn't human!" Susan burst out. "Jarod, you don't suppose the Centre - ?"


"I'm often surprised at the lengths they'll go to but, in this case, I don't know what benefit it could be to them. I mean, she doesn't have the predisposition - "


"How do you know?"


"I ran some tests, of course. How else would I find out?"


"Do her parents know?"


"That she's dying or that she's going to be kidnapped?"


"Both."


"Well, they know that cystic fibrosis is fatal but I'm not sure that they're aware of the plot. Actually, it's not them at all. The girl's mother died in a car accident almost a year ago. The money that Mary-Ann is going to inherit was her mothers and, due to a pre-marital agreement, the father can't touch so much as a cent of it. It's all going to go to this girl on her next birthday."


There was another short pause.


"Just out of interest, what is cystic fibrosis?"


"It's a disease where thick mucus is produced and clogs up the lungs. It also affects the sweat glands and digestive tract, meaning that the person can't absorb nutrients properly. Also, in most cases, they have to had a form of therapy every day to clear the mucus out of their lungs."


"What causes it?"


"It's genetic. It's caused by a mutation on a gene. The other problem it that it's fatal. One hundred percent fatal. This girl's got her eighteenth birthday coming up soon but it's unlikely that she'll live to see her twentieth."


"How does the family cope with that?"


"I suspect, like many others, that they see a psychiatrist to help them deal with it. Often the parents become very protecting of a child who has only a limited life-span which damages the child's chance to live a semi-normal life. A psychiatrist can help with that."


"What else can happen? Physically, I mean."


"Chest infections, pneumonia, things like that. Anything that can affect the respiratory or digestive systems. And eventually something just gives and the person dies."

* * *


As Sydney was leaving the office, he dropped a bundle of papers on the desk. The new secretary was making life easier for everyone, although he still had a lot of work that he had to complete personally. It was sometimes tempting to take her along on the searches for Jarod, just to give him a better chance to concentrate on that instead of his other case notes. He smiled at the girl as she moved back from the photocopier to her desk.


"If you could finish those notes before tomorrow afternoon, that would be great."


"Certainly, Dr Green. No problem."


It was interesting how she had adopted that name. He assumed that Miss Parker had probably told her and encouraged her to call him that. The fact that the two women got on so well was a constant source of amusement, particularly since the only other person that Miss Parker actually liked was Debbie, Broots' daughter. With a grin, Sydney got into his car and headed for home.

Miss Parker also stopped by the desk before she left for the night.


"Want to come out and have a coffee somewhere?"


The new assistant looked up with a smile. "I'd love to but I need to finish these before tomorrow. Then I can get on with the files that Mr Raines wants me to organize."


"Bad luck. What say we organize it for a day next week?"


"Sounds great. I'll see you tomorrow."

* * *


Jarod settled his jacket and wiped the grease from his hands onto his overalls before tapping gently on the bedroom door.


"Come in."


He swung the door slightly ajar and stuck his head in through the gap.


"Your dad told me to tell you that dinner will be ready in about ten minutes. He also asked could you please lay the table."


"Sure thing."


Jarod turned to go back down to the garage where the car he had been working on was waiting for him, but the girl’s voice stopped him.


"Jarod?"


He turned. "Yeah?"


"Can I come watch?"


"What would your dad say?"


"I don't know. Maybe, finish your homework and have dinner first."


"Then what say we wait until after that."


"Okay."


It had been great to find that Mary-Ann enjoyed watching him work on the car and in the garden - it was easier to keep an eye on her that way. The actual date for the deal had not yet been struck but Jarod had thought it better to be integrated with the family before it happened. Therefore he had taken the job, primarily of mechanic, but really of general handyman.

Ten minutes later he was called in for dinner and he gave his hands a rapid wash and stripped off his overalls, revealing neat casual clothes beneath, before coming inside. The mansion was so huge that he could hardly restrain a gasp every time he entered it. On this occasion he slid into his place at the foot of the table just before the meal began. For a time there was silence before the conversation started. It was nice, reflected Jarod while he ate, that a powerful business tycoon could still find time to have dinner with his daughter. And there was none of the artificial affection that Jarod had seen in the only other father-daughter relationship he had been witness to.


"Daddy, can I work with Jarod tonight?"


"Sweetie, don't you have a appointment later?"


"Oh yeah." The girl's face fell and she spoke quickly to cover her disappointment. "Are you coming?"


"I'm sorry but I can't. I've got a big meeting. Oh, that reminds me. Jarod, could you take her? You don't have to go in, only wait in the car until she 's finished. It usually only takes an hour or so."


"Sure thing. Can you give me an address?'


"Oh, Mary-Ann can show you where to go."


"No problem."

As Mary-Ann directed him through the streets, a chill of premonition made Jarod shudder slightly. He had been this way several times and it should have occurred to him by now where they were going. He tried to speak lightly but, to him, the tones sounded false.


"What's this guy's name?"


"Dr Green. But he lets me call him Sydney."


"I see. What do you guys talk about?"


"What's happening and how I feel, stuff like that."


Jarod concentrated on driving for a moment, then spoke. "Can you do me a favour? I think I used to know this guy and I'd rather you didn't tell him about me just yet. Is that okay?"


"Sure. When did you meet him?"


"When I was really young."


"Oh, I get it. You ran away and you think he'll be angry at you."


"Something like that."


"Cool! Can I use that for a story I'm writing?"


"You write stories?"


"Yeah. It's good therapy. At least that's what Sydney says. I just love doing it. English is my favorite subject at school because we get heaps of time to write stuff."

"Sounds like fun."


The conversation languished until Jarod pulled up outside Sydney's house. He could see the lights shining through the front window and, as Mary-Ann got out, he was tempted to go with her, just to see Sydney again. It had been months since they had done anything except talk on the phone and he thought that he had never seen Sydney working with children that weren't like himself. Finally the temptation became too much and he got out of the car.

Jarod approached the house and looked for any window under which he could wait and listen to what was occurring. However the coolness of the night meant that Sydney had closed them all. Sighing in frustration, Jarod slipped around the back of the house to a door he knew, had a faulty lock. His assumption that Sydney had not had a chance to fix it proved correct and he slipped, unheard, through the back door and into the kitchen. The floor plan was as well-known to him as the air-ducts within the Centre and he was quickly standing just outside the room where Sydney and Mary-Ann were talking.


"...So how about any new people? Is there anyone new at school this term?"


"There's only one new person in my life but he asked me not to tell you about him."


Jarod flinched in the darkness as he realized that that was enough to make Sydney suspicious. He listened as Sydney feigned nonchalance with his next question. "Really? And what does he do?"


"Oh, a whole heap of stuff. Mostly he's there to fix the car but he runs errands and keeps the garden neat and everything."


"And you really like him, huh?"


"Oh yeah. He's really nice. He drove me here. He said he'd wait in the car but I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you looked at him through the window."


"He didn't want to see me, then?"


"I guess not. He thought maybe you were angry at him for running away."


"Did he tell you that?"


"Um, no. I sort of guessed."


"Ah."


There was a long pause, during which Jarod tried, without success, to see Sydney's face. Finally Mary-Ann spoke again. "Are you angry at him?"


"What?"


The girl repeated the question patiently. "Are you angry with him?"


"No. Not any more."


"But you were."


"He was a very frustrating person."


"And now you miss him." It was not a question.


"How do you know?"


"I can tell by your voice. You loved him, didn't you?"

There was a prolonged silence, which, to Jarod, seemed to go on longer than it really did. Suddenly he heard footsteps coming towards him and he hurriedly backed into a dark corner, behind a chair. No sooner had he done so then the light in the room was switched on. Peering around the edge of the chair, Jarod saw that Sydney was standing, with his back to both the chair and the door leading to the kitchen, bent over a dresser with his head bowed. Although he said nothing, Jarod could see Sydney's shoulders move with quick, short breaths. Looking to see that the door to the inner room was shut, Jarod stood and moved over so that his back was towards the kitchen. Then, finally, he spoke.


"Hello, Sydney."


Sydney spun around, his face pale with shock.


"My God, Jarod. What are you doing here?"


"You know. I heard you talking about me."


"How did you know that was you?"


"The same way you did. Come on, Sydney, don't play dumb! You know that I know that you know it was me she were talking about."


There was a prolonged pause, during which Sydney studied the pattern of his carpet and Jarod watched the older man's face to read his expression.


"When she's finished, send her out. I'll be waiting."


"Jarod, wait..."


"Well?"


"How do you know I won't call Miss Parker?"


"I trust you, like Mary-Ann trusts you. And she wouldn't trust you for much longer if she saw her beloved friend dragged off at gun-point now, would she?" Jarod flashed a grin. "I'll wait in the car."


And he was gone. With a sigh, Sydney turned back into the sitting room for the rest of the session.

* * *


All Mary-Ann talked about during the car trip was the session with Sydney. Once at home, she went to her room to begin on her latest story - an imaginary biography of Jarod's life. Jarod couldn't help but suspect that Sydney may have told her something about him during the rest of the hour and he had begged to be allowed to read the story once it was finished. In the meantime he quickly finished the work he had been doing on the 'spare' car and then went to his own series of rooms above the garage. He was hard pressed not to call Sydney but remembered that there was supposed to have been a gathering and planning session of the gang that day. So he called Jaclyn.


"Hi, this is Jarod."


"Hi! I went to the meeting today. Jarod, they're planning to make a move on Monday. They know that her father will be away for that day and for the three following. And someone said that they were going to get that girl and no one and nothing would stand in their way! Just so you know."


"Oh, hell. That only gives us four days to work with. Look, is Susan there?"


"Why, have you got an idea?'


"I think so. Can you organize the phone so I can talk to both of you at once?"


"Sure, just a sec."


As Jarod explained his plans, both girls took notes for their respective parts on the activity and, when he hung up, Jarod was grinning. He opened his computer and prepared several messages, none of which he sent but all of which could be easily activated at one time by a central command. Next he set up the computer to run a detailed search. Then, finally, he called Sydney.

"This is Sydney."


"I know," the Pretender retorted, grinning.


"I didn't think you'd call."


"Oh, gee. I guess that means that either I'm becoming less predictable or else you're forgetting what I'm like, amazing as that may seem. What a choice!"


"Can we, just for once, drop the sarcasm?"


"You know I only do it to annoy you."


"Yes. I know."


There was a long pause.


"Jarod, why did you call?"


"I wanted to know if you said anything about me to Mary-Ann."


"Who?"


"Oh, don't be stupid, Sydney! You know who I'm talking about. Your patient. Mary-Ann."


"Yes. Well?"


"What did you say to her about me?"


"Nothing, why?"


"So she's going to write my biography out of her head?"


"She has a very good imagination, Jarod. I have no doubt she’ll write it very well."


"But it doesn't surprise you that she's going to write it."


"I believe she mentioned something about it, yes."


"God, Sydney. You're about as see-through as Broots is, when you're trying to get him to lie about some-thing! It's no wonder I'm still out here, with the two of you working together. And when you add Miss Parker to the equation..." With a final, derisive snort, Jarod hung up the phone.

* * *


Five days later Jaclyn arrived for work, almost half an hour late, but discovered that the usually bustling halls were silent. She spend most of the day divided between her work and the memories of the struggle with the gang the previous night. Of course, they hadn't had to do most of the work. There were plenty of people, exploited by the gang, who had been overjoyed at the chance of revenge. The meeting, to which Jarod, through messages sent to newspapers and the local television, had managed to call the local residents, had shown the gang just how many lives they had damaged or destroyed. The mock-trial, all four hours of it, had been followed by the dumping of the 'guilty' party and she, Susan and Jarod had spent most of the time highly amused by the whole business while Mary-Ann slept at Susan's flat.

The day was drawing to a close and most people had left before Miss Parker appeared and strolled up to her desk, sitting on the edge.


"Have you heard?"


"Obviously not. What is it that I'm supposed to have heard?"


"This morning there was a whole group of guys being held by security when I turned up to work. Their story is that they were going to kidnap a little girl and found a note, supposedly written by the girl, telling her father that their mechanic was taking him to a place - which, the note said, was here - and so they came and broke in. Security found them in SL9, completely lost. Raines is going to hand them over to the police for trespass."


"The police? Really? He's going to let the police come here?"


"God, no! They're going to be taken to the shed just outside the grounds and locked in. The police can come and pick them up from there."

* * *


As the day drew to a close , Jaclyn looked up to see Jarod and Susan open a door at the far end of the hall and begin to walk towards her. As she was about to verbally greet them, she heard footsteps in the office behind her, approaching the door. With vigorous hand gestures she sought to try and warn them and Susan, placing a warning hand of Jarod's shoulder, prevented them both from approaching. Jarod stood, confused, as one of the doors into the hallway swung open and Miss Parker appeared, almost in front of him. In terror, he turned to Susan, but her expression forced him to remain silent.

Miss Parker stopped by the desk for the second time that day after a casual glance up and down the deserted hall.


"Want to go for that coffee now?"


Jaclyn looked up and forced a grimace onto her face.


"I'd love to but my nose is being held to the grindstone. Tell you what. I should have finished these in an hour so I'll come by and pick you up then and we can go somewhere and pick up something for dinner."


"Sure thing. See you then."


As Miss Parker turned down the hall, she thought she saw a figure out of the corner of her eye but, turning quickly, she was confounded by the still-empty passage. With a slight shake of her head, she slipped though the self-locking door and left the building.

Jaclyn heaved a sigh of relief and turned away from the door and back to where her friends had been.


"All clear. She can't get back through that. It locks from the inside."


Susan's voice came out of nowhere, into her mind. "And there's no-one else here? Or any other way in?"


"No."


Jaclyn waited for the slight pressure on her mind to dissipate before she looked at the spot where her friends had been and was relieved to see that they were both there. Susan sighed with relief as she was able to relax and become visible to Jaclyn, although she still had to be sure that the cameras would not pick up the image of either herself or Jarod, who was looking from one girl to another with a bemused expression.


"I assume you've got a reasonable and rational explanation for what just happened then."


"Explanation? Yes. Reasonable and rational? Probably not. At least, most people don't think so."


"Well?"


"Just one thing first. Sue, is it working with the video cameras?"



"Well, I'm waiting for the alarms to go off but they haven't as yet so either the computer system's really slack here, or else, yes, it's working."


"I'm waiting!"


"And patience always was one of your great virtues wasn't it Jarod? Okay, okay. Stop glaring at me like that. I'll tell you."

Susan settled herself on the edge of Jaclyn's desk and Jarod took the chair that sat in front of it. The two women exchanged glances before Jaclyn spoke.


"Jarod, did you ever read that people only use about fifteen percent of their brain capacity?"


"I think I might have heard of something like that but I don't see..." The rest of Jarod's words were cut off as, with a wave of her hand, Susan silenced his voice, although his lips continued to move. When he stopped, confused, she laughed at him.


"Look, give us time to get through the explanations before you try to provide any of your own, okay?"


Jarod nodded and Jaclyn continued.


"Susan discovered, and God only knows how she discovered it, that, if she concentrates, she can alter her physical state. I don't mean that she can shape-shift. Only that she can make other people's brains believe that she isn't there."


"Like ESP?"


"No, not exactly. It's more like just shutting down that part of their perception. They simply can't see her and look right through her, literally, although sometimes they can see her shadow out of the corner of their eye. Luckily for you, it also works with other people, provided she has some sort of physical contact with them at the time."


"Sounds like something that should be on the X-files!"


"Oh, it has been! Don't worry, we've made our small investment by writing a script for them. You don't think we'd let a chance like that go, do you?"


"Can you do it now?"


"Of course." At the word Susan vanished from view. As she did so, Jaclyn turned her head slightly to the left until her eyes were focused on a point above Jarod's head.


"What are you doing?"


"She's behind you."


"How do you know?"


"She taught me. Although I can't get quite to the point of disappearing myself, I can tell, by the pressure on my mind, where she is."

Jarod waited for the figure to reappear but, before he could do so, something else startled him. Out of a nearby door the figure of Sydney appeared in the corridor. Jarod jumped up and tried to run but found that he was unable to move. A laugh from behind him made him turn and he saw Susan standing, with a grin on her face.


"Don't worry. He's not really there."


"But he is! I just saw him! He was over..." Jarod's voice died away as he looked at the spot where Sydney had been and saw that it was empty.


Jaclyn laughed as Susan moved back and sat on the desk again.


"Don't get so upset, Jarod. It's just another little ability that Susan has. She can make you think you're seeing people and objects when they're not really there. You could even have a discussion with the person if you wanted to and you wouldn't notice anything unusual."


Jarod sat back with his mouth open and stared at the slim, laughing girl.


"I've got two more nitpicks. One is my voice. How did you stop me from talking? And how did you stop me from moving just now?"


"That's a combination of a couple of things. One is the mind games that I can play but it's a little more complicated than that. The first thing you have to understand is that my mother liked dabbling in witchcraft."


"In what?"


"Witchcraft. You've seriously never heard of witchcraft ? Never seen Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie or Sabrina? No? You had a sadly deprived life! How about magic then?"


"You aren't telling me anything I don't already know about my life and, if witchcraft is another name for magic, then it makes sense."


"Well, anyway, my mother spent her educational years at a school on the East Coast, which was set up for really gifted children and one of her teachers, who was an amateur magician, taught her a few tricks, which she, in turn, taught me. Naturally, because I can muck about with people's minds and make them see whatever I want them to, I've always been pretty successful. But two of the things were how to take a person's voice and how to freeze their actions. I only use them in emergencies, though, because they take a lot of energy…"


"Just a sec. Your mom went to a school on the East Coast? When?"


"In the fifties. I'm twenty-something and she was about thirty years older than I. And, before you ask, yes. The school was in Delaware. Don't worry. I've established the connection already. I started looking around in their files after I got the password from you."


"But I never gave it to you."


"You didn't have to. I'm not a mind-reader but, when you were planning revenge on that gang, you used the codes so often that they showed up in your dreams. I just 'borrowed' them from there."


"You can see into my dreams?"


"Oh yes! But I only do it when I have to."


"So you searched the files?"


"Yeah, but there's nothing there."


"By the way Jarod, I had to stop your search of the files. The computer was about two seconds away from detecting an intruder and, when I realized it was you, shut down your system."


"Thanks, I think."


Jaclyn's watch beeped at this point and the secretary bounded to her feet.


"Gotta go. I have to go and pick up Miss Parker for that coffee."


"When did you set your watch?"


Susan spoke while Jaclyn picked up her bag. "Oh, I did that. I can get inside inanimate objects too, you know. That's actually easier."


The two women laughed again at Jarod's expression as they left the building.

* * *


Jarod dropped Mary-Ann off for the last time at her session with Sydney and settled down to read his copy of the story she had written. She had been disappointed when told that the company he worked for was transferring him across to the other side of the country but had accepted it. Although Jarod didn't usually tell people when he was planning to leave, it had seemed cruel to simply desert this girl who had already lost many of her friends. As he did so, a piece of newspaper flapped up against the windscreen of the car and, through the open window, Jarod reached out and grabbed it. It was a piece from the local paper and told the story of the final destruction of the gang, including seizure of their assets to pay numerous people.

The conversation which had created the idea had begun innocently, after the three Pretenders had seen an article on a news program exposing many of the activities of the gang.


"I've heard a rumour..."


At this juncture Susan groaned and threw a cushion at Jarod. "Lat time you said that we got embroiled with a massive gang. What have you got planned for us this time?"


"Well, actually, it still involves the same gang. Do you remember that you told me about the way the gang members could walk into shops and just take things? Well, don't you think the victims will want compensation for that?"


"Suing the gang, you mean? But for that we'd need a lawyer and...Jarod, you're not suggesting that I...?"


"Well, who else is there? I mean the gang has already seen me and you know the problem we had keeping Jaclyn out of sight at the mock-trial. It would be worse this time. So that leaves you."


"Why wouldn't the trial we organized be enough?"


"Well, it gave people emotional revenge but emotional revenge isn't going to help them pay back their creditors, is it?"


Susan turned to Jaclyn with a rueful expression on her face. "I had the feeling, even when I was swimming over to him, that he wasn't going to make our lives any easier, or more peaceful! Maybe I should just have left him there!"


"Oh, very funny! But you'll do it?"


"You always did like helping people, didn't you?"


"Well, I can understand how they must feel!"


This time it was Jaclyn who threw a cushion at him. "Enough, already. We'll do it. Just shut up, will you?"

* * *


Sydney stood at the door of his house and watched as the car drove away. He had wanted a few words with Jarod, just to talk about the story he had read that evening, as well as find out how everything was going. It had taken Sydney only a matter of second to connect the strange occurrences at the Centre with Jarod, but he wondered how it had been done. Sydney sighed as he turned back inside but stopped short at the sight of the young man standing in the doorway to the living room.


"What are you doing here? Didn't you just drive off?"


"Well, I could hardly be there and here at the same time, could I?"


As Sydney closed the front door and ushered his protégé into the living room, he failed to notice a young girl standing in the shadows. A smile twisted her lips as she stood for a minute - and then vanished!
Part 2 – Intent to Kill by KB
Intent Series
Part 2 – Intent to Kill



Miss Parker rolled over and gave a sigh. This was the third time that night that she had dreamt about Jarod, and it was getting frustrating. Each time it was the same. She shot at him but woke up just before the bullet would actually have hit him. Knowing that it would be a while before she could sleep again, she sat up and looked out the window. With a gasp she saw a shadow cross the glass as it climbed the tree outside. A gentle tapping was audible too. Miss Parker shrunk back into the pillows and reached out a hand for her gun, but remembered that it had been taken for repairs and would not be ready until later that day. With a murmured curse she looked, somewhat fearfully, at the window. As she saw a hand reaching for the latch, she remembered that she had not locked it the evening before and, cursing her own stupidity, she rolled over to the other side of the bed and slipped down onto the floor.

The figure in the corner nodded in satisfaction. Having her on the floor would make things much easier. There was less chance of her being hit by bullets and, as he straightened his bulletproof vest, he smiled grimly and waited for the figure to open the window and enter the room. A creak assured him that the time was near and he took careful aim. As an arm came in through the window, brandishing a small revolver, he pulled the trigger and heard the soft pop, deadened by the silencer, and then the sound of a howl of pain and a dull thud as the gun was dropped onto the floor and the figure outside made his escape.

Jarod slipped out of the door, which stood ajar behind him, and waited for the light to go on. Suddenly, with a grin, he slipped back into the room and, keeping to the shadow of the walls, got to a position under the window. It was the work of a few seconds to pick up the gun and return to his former position. Then, finally, with a wide grin, he spoke.


"It's all right, Miss Parker. He's gone."


The sound of the masculine voice made her recoil against the bed for a moment before she recognized his tones and leapt to her feet. The hissing of her voice told him just how scared she had been and how nervous she still was.


"What are you doing here?"


"Saving your life, apparently." There was a dull click as Jarod reloaded his gun.


"What?"


"You don't think that man was here to sing you a lullaby, do you?"
There was another click and the room was flooded with light as Miss Parker turned on the lamp beside her bed. Blinking until her eyes adjusted, she then looked over to the corner to see Jarod leaning against the wall, a gun in each hand. His smile made her want to wrap both hands around his throat but, with an effort, she restrained herself and reached for her gown. Wrapping herself in it and sitting on the bed, she watched in fury as he calmly sat down on the chair just inside the door.


"What else do you want?"


"I don't understand."


"Well, you've done what I assume you came for. Now get out."


"Oh, come on, Miss Parker. Don't you want me to stay here to protect you in case he comes back?"


"I can protect myself!"


"Oh, yes. You were doing a fine job of it, weren't you? Just seeing you on the floor, begging for mercy, would have made that hard, callused gunman turn himself in to the cops straight away. Nothing surer."


Miss Parker considered this for a moment before shivering slightly at the memory of that shadow outside the window. She turned away from Jarod so that he could not see the emotion on her face and pushed the image out of her mind. When she turned back to him, her face had resumed its normal expression and her dark eyes glinted angrily in the light. She took in his attire and glared at him across the room to where he sat, gloating at her openly.


"Came prepared, did we? So, Superman, how did you know the plan for the evening?"


"Who?"


"Superman. You know. He flies around the world, trying to set things right and fight evil."


"Sounds like a nice guy. I must look him up."


Miss Parker passed over the comment and returned to the former topic of conversation.


"Was this planned?"


"What? The attack? Of course. Why else do you think I was here? Or do you think that I spend every night here, watching you sleep?"


Miss Parker blushed angrily as she replied. "Don't say such stupid things. I wouldn't imagine anything of the sort. If it wasn't for the fact that my gun's not here, we'd both be going back to the Centre as fast as possible, as you well know!"

Jarod grinned as he surreptitiously released the catch on the gun he had retrieved from the floor and emptied the bullets into his pocket. Then, holding the Ladies' Smith and Wesson by the barrel, he handed it to her.


"Your weapon, madam."


She reached out instinctively to take it but drew back at the last minute.


"Don't be stupid, Jarod. How could that be mine? Mine's being repaired. Only the man at the..."


Her voice trailed off as he moved the gun to show her the special insignia which her father had had put on when he gave it to her for her twentieth birthday. In shock, she reached out and took it, fingering it for a moment before aiming it at Jarod, who stayed, grinning, in the chair.


"It won't fire."


She tried. He was right. It didn't.


In anger, she threw it at him but he ducked and slipped out of the half-open doorway. He called a cheery 'good-bye' to her as he went down the stairs and she ground her teeth, unable to do anything but let him leave. Jumping off the bed, she went to the window and secured it. She was in time to see Jarod get into a car parked in front of her house and drive off. Miss Parker could see the first hint of color in the sky and, cursing softly, she went back to bed and tried to sleep.

* * *


Sydney raised his eyebrows as he heard Miss Parker storming around her office the next morning. The new secretary, Susan Janet Rice, was standing behind him and he could feel her nervousness without even turning around. He smiled, somewhat grimly, as he turned to the new girl.


"Just wait here for a moment. I'll be back."


She nodded nervously and he was hard-pressed to hold back a smile as he turned back to the door and knocked. In reply to the growl from within, he opened the door and stepped over the threshold, shutting the door behind him.

Miss Parker was sitting at her desk, moodily staring out of the window, and her expression did not alter on seeing Sydney enter the room.


"Morning, Parker. I've brought the new secretary to meet you."


"What?"


"You remember. Since Jaclyn Thomas was requisitioned by Raines, we had to get a new secretary."


Sydney opened the door and waved the young girl into the room. Miss Parker scrutinized her closely before deciding that she was fairly harmless and extended her hand.


"Miss Parker, Susan Rice. Susan, this is Miss Parker."


"So, you've come to work here, have you?"


"Well, I hope so. You see, I'm kind of on trial first."


Seeing that Miss Parker looked a little confused, Sydney stepped in.


"Mr Parker thought that a trial period might be best first."


He turned to leave but the new secretary stopped him.


"Dr Green? The man at the employment agency asked me to give you this."


She held out a piece of paper which Sydney snatched from her, exchanging a look with Miss Parker as the new girl left the room.


'Dear Syd. Don't worry about following me here. I've already left. Just thought I'd drop you a short note to catch up. Tell Miss Parker that I really enjoyed the rendezvous last night. Also that I got a report from the gun shop this morning. The gun should be fine now. That hit against the wall didn't do it any damage - it just needs a few new bullets. Jarod.'


Miss Parker stood and paced angrily. Sydney, watching her with a bemused expression on his face, waited for her to explain but she refrained from speaking. With a confused sigh he moved towards the door, almost bumping into Broots, who had brought Miss Parker her mail. The sight of a small package sent Sydney's eyebrows up but Miss Parker didn't look all that surprised as she ripped it open.

In the silence, after the bullets had finished rolling around on the floor, Miss Parker scooped up the gun and examined it closely. Then she picked up the note which accompanied it.


'It works now. I've tried. Jarod.'


In anger, she loaded it quickly and pushed it into the holster at her hip. Finally she looked around to see Sydney still standing in the doorway.


"Turned to stone, Syd?"


"What did he mean by a rendezvous?"


"Oh, he rescued me, I threatened him, the usual. Nothing too exciting." Despite all her efforts, she could not keep a tremor of nerves out of her voice as, for the thousandth time, she recalled the events of the previous night.


"He...what?"


"I had a visitor last night who tried to get into my window brandishing my gun. Probably the guy who repaired it trying to make sure I got it back, but you can never be too sure. Anyway, Jarod just happened to be there and shot at the guy until he left. That's all."


"Oh, sure. Nothing too exciting at all. How did Jarod know he was going to be there, anyway?"



"I don't know. He carefully avoided answering that question."
Sydney, still mystified, turned and left the room. Miss Parker, leaning over to gather the last of the bullets from the floor, heard the door shut and sat back in her chair with a sigh. She was still tired from the previous night and she still hadn't decided whether or not to tell Daddy about her little escapade. Eventually, however, she decided to keep it quiet. She didn't need a spiel on how she was lacking the "Parker spirit". At least not today.

* * *


Jarod grinned as he directed the jet-ski out into the deeper waters of the harbor. He loved being out on the water and, having taught himself how to use the ski over a lunch hour, now took great delight in using it at every available opportunity. As a small boat approached, he stiffened slightly but relaxed when he saw the face of the Centre's new secretary peering over the side, on the look-out for him. He waved vigorously and she cut the engine and let the boat float until the two craft were next to each other. Jarod looked at his watch and laughed.


"You're late."


"Sorry. I had to do some work for Sydney first. He's one hell of a task-master."


"You're telling me!"


The two laughed again and then Jarod stood up and lifted the seat to reveal the storage cabin, containing a package similar to the one that Miss Parker had received that day.


"Here, catch. That's for Broots. Have you met him yet?"


"Only through the photos you showed me."


"No problem. Just use the disk I gave you and the virus it'll produce will get him there before you can get out of your seat."


"When do you want me to use the other disk?"


"Give it a week or two. It would be a bit soon yet. Did you meet Miss Parker?"


"Briefly. I gave Sydney that note and then slipped out. I spent the whole day waiting for him to come and ask me where I got it, and I had my answer all ready but he never came. I think the package for Miss Parker threw him off a little."


"As I would have expected it to. I'll have the two of them wondering how on earth I was where I was last night and how I knew about it." Jarod chuckled softly. "If it wouldn't make it worse, I'd show up tonight as well."


"Considering that her gun works now, that's be pretty stupid, wouldn't it?"


"Maybe. Think anyone suspects?"


"I don't know how they could, do you?"


"Just don't get too clever, that's all. But you know all that. I've warned you before. And, as always, be careful. Have they mentioned me?"


"No, not yet. But I wasn't in their offices for very long. I spent most of the time at my desk. When do you want me to start looking for those files?"


"Tomorrow will be fine. I think I've given you most of the security passwords but you can always come and meet me here and I'll try to get any that you don't have."


"No problem. Look, I've really got to go. Sydney gave me all this work to do at home before tomorrow so I'll see you later. Bye Jarod."


"See you later."


Jarod sat on the rocking jet and watched as the boat roared off the in the direction of the shore. The reflection stripes on his life jacket glinted and he repositioned small, waterproof microphone headset that was regulation for the water-police. Then, after checking the fuel gauge, he started up the craft and headed off into deeper water.

* * *


Broots, somewhat bemused by Jarod's latest offering, took it to Sydney immediately.


"Well, what's in it?"


The harsh, female voice took the two men by surprise and both spun around to see Miss Parker standing in the doorway.


"What's in the package? Show me!"


Broots exchanged a glance with Sydney, who surreptitiously nodded. The younger man moved over to where Miss Parker stood and tipped the package over her outstretched hand. Miss Parker drew back her hand in disgust as it was covered by a small pile of sand, shells and seaweed.


"Is this some kind of a joke?"


Broots answered in trembling tones. "J...Jarod sent it. I...I only did what you told me to."


Miss Parker snorted and turned on her heel. However, just before leaving, she turned back to Sydney, whose expression had been carefully preserved.


"What does he mean by that?"


"I was hoping you'd be able to tell me!"


"Oh, c'mon Syd. I wasn't Frankenboy's babysitter for over thirty years. I don't know what he's thinking."


"If I knew what he was thinking, we would have caught him by now."


Miss Parker turned with another snort and left the room. As the door slammed shut Broots turned to Sydney.


"What do you think the package means?"


"You tell me."


"Jarod's working at the beach?"


"Very good Broots. Now, do you happen to recall just how many square miles of coast surround the shores of the United States?"


Broots gulped as Sydney spun a globe on his desk until Broots could see the map of America.


"Besides which, how many different professions could be based on or near the beach?"


Knowing that Broots would be unable to answer the question, Sydney turned back to the work that had been interrupted by Broots' unceremonious entrance earlier and Broots himself left the room.

* * *


Susan grinned to herself as she directed the small motorboat out into deeper water. Checking her position on the mapping tool which Jarod had purchased and set up for her, she angled the boat slightly more to the north and then checked her watch. Good, she was slightly early. That would make a nice change. Not that she had anything new to tell him. Hopefully, though, he could make some use of the information she had reaped from Raines' private files that day. With a secret smile she recalled the other member of the Centre she had met that day. Such a shame that a well-spoken, handsome man like Mr Lyle was going to be involved in such a major international scandal. Even more of a pity that it might become public. Such a nice man.

* * *


Jarod grinned as the data that Susan had gathered the day before flashed up on the screen. It was going to be very useful having such a competent mole working with and for him in such an all-powerful position as secretary. Of course, Angelo was also a great help but he couldn't do everything on his own and, the last time he'd tried to get this information, he'd almost hit one of the trip wires. Besides, Angelo couldn't get out of the Centre to get the information to Jarod in the way that Susan could, especially when it gave him the chance for more jet-ski practice. Besides, when the two secretaries began working together, which they would as soon as they were actually introduced to each other, he would have a finger on the pulse of the entire Centre and there wouldn't be anything he didn't know.

Sydney could hear the arguing as he walked out into the corridor and he turned to the secretary with a puzzled expression on his face.


"What's going on?"


"I don't know, sir, but Mr Raines is in there with Mr Parker and Mr Lyle and they're arguing about something. I don't know what."


Thanks to her time in the theatre and having there learnt to control emotions and reactions, Susan was able to pass on the information while looking perfectly innocent and Sydney, who had glanced sharply at her, had no suspicions. She turned back to her work and Sydney continued down the hall and, after knocking gently, entered Miss Parker's office. After a careful glance Susan maximized the file in front of her and copied the necessary information to hand onto Jarod. She knew that the scrambled figures, using the code Jarod had provided her with, would look like gibberish to anyone else and, with a sigh of relief, she returned to her legitimate work after carefully checking to see that no trace of her visit was evident. Within minutes she was deeply involved in her most recent task.

* * *


Jarod, having attached the ski to his wrist with an elastic rope, was floating on the water and staring into the blue sky when sudden vibrations in the water caused him to flip sharply upright and climb onto the bobbing jet-ski. The motorboat roared up to him, stopping only a few feet short of hitting him and Jarod again threw himself into the water, determined to avoid an injury. Susan's frantic face peered over the side and Jarod, recognizing her, climbed, once more, back onto the seat.


"Well, what's up?"


"Sy...Sydney's about to go missing"


"What? Missing?"


"Yeah. Jarod, I overheard a conversation today between Mr Lyle and Mr Parker. Raines wants Lyle gone from the Centre because he..."


"...believes he took the money, I know. What about Sydney?"


"Mr Parker was telling Lyle about Sydney's habits and the best time to get him. Later, I heard Lyle talking to Sam and arranging the group that would pick him up. Mr Parker is going to make the exchange - you for Sydney. If necessary they'll also put Miss Parker into the equation. I heard Mr Parker say that 'this was the one thing that would have Jarod begging for mercy' and they figure you'll come back with a run. Then, maybe, they'll let them go."

Jarod put his head in his hands, as he did when he was thinking. Suddenly he looked up.


"When?"


"In a week and a half. They're going to have Lyle leave the Centre to make you think that it worked - 'cos Mr Parker's certain you took the money and tried to have Lyle framed - and then pounce. Jarod, should I..."


"No, I don't want you to be in any danger. Only problem is that, if I act now, they'll know I know. Did they see you?"


"I'm not sure but my desk is pretty obvious and I'd be the only person who could have heard."


"That's what I figured. Look, I need you to go back to work tomorrow as though nothing's going to happen. I can't put you in that sort of danger. Let them get their teeth into you and you'll never see the light of day again, except through barred windows. A Pretender can't be allowed to escape. Besides, if they get you then they might get Jaclyn too. That's just too much of a risk."

Jarod sat silent on the craft, which rocked gently, and thought. Finally he looked at her again.


"Look, Susan, I'm going to have to let them get taken. There's nothing else to do."


"Jarod, I've just remembered something else. Lyle did get warned not to get anyone from the Centre to be actually involved in the kidnapping personally. That way they could both look like heroes on two fronts - they could save Sydney and Miss Parker from a fate worse than death and they could get you back. That means..." There was a long pause. Then Jarod spoke.


"I get you. Time for a career change!"

* * *


The gang had gathered in response to an urgent call. There was an undercurrent of conversation, sounding like the growling of a pack of dogs, which filled the room and the new occupant surreptitiously glanced around, careful not to let his amazement show. The man who was to introduce him to this new society shot him a glance which resulted in the tall, dark man taking an obvious place beside the leader of the criminal gang. An instant silence fell and all faces turned to the small group.


"This is Jarod Capone." There was general laugh as the men understood the joke and some of the earlier glances of animosity were replaced by one of companionship. "Yeah, with a name like that, he's realized that our 'line of business', if I may so express it, is the only possibility."


A voice came from the back of the room. "What about the new job?"


There was a murmur of interest and the leader turned to his second-in-command. After a few seconds he turned to the new recruit and, in a voice audible throughout the room, asked "Well, what do you think? Want to be involved?"


The dark eyes flashed slightly as its' owner replied, in an equally loud voice, "I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of their work."


A laugh echoed around the room and the leader thrust out his arm. "You're a good man, Capone. Welcome to the group."


The applause was audible to those passing outside and, well aware of the nature of the place, they hurried past.

* * *


For the last week and a half, the people in the Centre had heard nothing of Jarod. Sydney had become slightly worried - it was unlike Jarod not to contact him somehow in that time. Mr Raines and Lyle, on the other hand, were furious and began feverishly searching for him, using some of their many contacts to try and find him. Miss Parker, although frustrated that Jarod had so quickly and quietly slipped out of their grasp, was amused by the fruitless search in which they were participating. Had not she paved the same path months before? Of course. She had done, in short, everything she could have done and now had to wait until Jarod contacted them and left them the clues to follow.

Miss Parker left the Centre and hurried to her car. Once sitting in the driver's seat she shook the large raindrops off the umbrella and folded it closed. She dropped it on the floor and reached out to close the door. Her hand, instead of a car door, met soft cloth and she gasped and drew back. Turning, she found herself looking down the barrel of a small handgun and heard a quiet voice.


"Get out."


Thoughts of fighting fled as she saw men in large, dark coats appear on all sides of the car, all holding weapons of some sort, which were able to be discreetly and instantly hidden. Upon request she handed over her own gun and unlocked the other car doors. Hope of assistance from others in the Centre was dashed when she remembered that the only people who were still inside were residents of the building and were unlikely to venture out into the storm.


Miss Parker was bundled into the back seat of her car, with one man on each side. The man she had first seen drove her car and Miss Parker tried to focus on the direction the car took. However, realizing that she would do such thing, the driver took a series of backstreets and alleys. No one apart from the first man, spoke, all seemingly aware of their proper occupations. After approximately ten minutes one of the men attempted to put a cover over her eyes. It was not in Miss Parker's nature to accept such an attempt and she fought. Suddenly, through the darkness, she felt a sharp point held to her temple, a point that pierced the scarf which was now over her eyes. As the driver spoke, he circled a roundabout for several minutes, completely confusing the victim.


"If I were you, Miss Parker, I would not try that again. We do not want to kill you unless we have to, but we will - without hesitation."

* * *


Sydney had left the office at about six o'clock that evening and headed home. He spent several hours at work and then, putting away the files which he had been studying, he took out the many objects which Jarod had scattered for so many years. For two hours he reviewed these objects. A knock at the door made him hurriedly push the objects into a top drawer, remembering the time that Mr Parker had visited him and had almost seen the carefully gathered objects. Approaching the door, he was slightly nonplussed to see a number of people through the glass at either side of the front portal, all of whom stood silent. Sydney remembered that the last time a number of people had appeared at the door, a T-board examination had followed. Sydney checked that he was properly dressed and carried a cell phone. This had been important last time and he wanted the opportunity to use it again if required.


Opening the door, he was, however, shocked to realize that he knew none of those standing on his doorstep and was loaded into a strange car. He said nothing, realizing that it would be of no use, but submitted to the activities which followed, including the use of the blindfold. It had been unnecessary for anyone to speak on this occasion and Sydney became increasingly confused as time went by and the car did not stop at the Centre. For over an hour the car traveled, the occupants silent. Finally they stopped and Sydney, still ignorant as to their location, was dragged out.

* * *


Jarod sat at a table, playing poker with several other members of the gang. Although he had not been involved with the double kidnapping, he had assisted the gang in other crimes and was now a trusted member of the group. He had, in fact, helped plan the kidnapping, being naturally aware of the actions of the prospective victims. And now, with his new acquaintances, he awaited these prospective victims. At the first sounds of an arriving vehicle the group leapt to their feet and exited the room through a far door. Within several minutes the victim was pushed through the opposite doorway and taken to a pipe which projected from a wall. To this he was chained and then gagged and, again, blindfolded. Then the other members of the gang returned to the room. For several minutes, the game continued until another car drew up. Again the room was cleared and the next victim, still blindfolded, was shoved into the room.

The two were dragged through the second doorway and taken up a flight of stairs into a large attic. A rope, with a wire through it, was fastened around the waist of the female prisoner, wrapped around a metal-plated joist, and knotted around the waist of the male prisoner. Tied in this position, they were able to lie down, sit or even stand and walk around a little. The room contained a large double mattress which could be dragged over to the central joist for the prisoners to sleep on, however there was nothing else which could be beneficial to those in the room. With guns aimed the gags and blindfolds were removed from the prisoners and, before they could speak, the captors were gone. The sound of their footsteps could be heard descending the staircase.

An hour later, one of the captors carried a tray up to the attic. Another followed with a gun drawn. The tray contained two unbreakable mugs, two large, plastic bottles of water, several slices of bread and a plate of sliced cold meat. The tray was unloaded and the man sat to talk with the captives.


"Why have you brought us here?" Miss Parker snapped.


"We received orders to do so."


"From whom?"


"That is none of your business."


Sydney looked up and grinned wryly. "Don't you think, sir, that, in view of our situation, it might well be our business?"


"Dr Green, do you tell your patients everything about their treatment? Of course not. This situation is exactly the same."


"Where are we?"


"I am not able to divulge that information."


"How long will we be here for?"


"Until the people who requested that we bring you here are satisfied. Then, and only then, will you be released. However, should you attempt to escape or otherwise draw notice to yourselves, you will not leave this place - ever. I must tell you, for your own benefit, that we have no neighbors or visitors who would be able to assist you in any way."


The man stood and, removing the bottles and mugs from the tray, placed them on the floor near the prisoners. Then he picked up the tray and prepared to leave the room.


"Oh, one more thing. Breakfast will be served at eight am. This room remains very dark all day and so the light will be left on all night. The bed can be dragged over so that you can lie on it. Someone will be outside this room and, should you need anything, a simple knock will suffice. Otherwise you will not be disturbed."

* * *


Jarod, after five days, was deeply involved in the guarding of the house. However he had avoided having to see the captives, using his other work as an excuse. The other gang members found it amusing that a member of the police - even the water police - would join a criminal gang and Jarod had endured much ribbing about his legal occupation. Finally, though, the time arrived for him to interact with the victims. He was now a fully trusted member of the gang. He, and another member, Paul, who was younger and weaker than Jarod, were left for four days together as the sole guards of the prisoners while the other men were involved in further criminal activities.

Jarod, having discussed the matter with his fellow guard, slept during the day and, that evening, climbed the stairs. He took the seat outside the room and watched as his fellow guard entered a room at the bottom of the stairs. After half an hour Jarod removed his shoes and silently slipped down the stairs. The door to the bedroom stood slightly ajar and Jarod, sticking his head into the room, saw the man lying on the bed, deeply asleep. With a wicked grin, a somewhat relieved Jarod silently pulled the door shut and turned the well-oiled key. Then he again ascended the staircase.

Miss Parker and Sydney had discussed the question of their capture numerous times. Unable to come to any conclusions, they wondered how long they would be held there. Miss Parker, of the opinion that Jarod had organized the entire project, fumed as she wondered what activity Jarod was participating in and needed to keep concealed from her. Sydney, on the other hand, was of the firm opinion that Jarod, although he might have been involved, had not masterminded the affair but, like themselves, was only a victim. They had been kept comfortable, fed sufficiently, and only lacked the access to fresh air and exercise. They had also been left entirely alone, save for the occasions on which food was brought to them. Books and playing cards had also been provided and used. However, despite all this, Miss Parker suffered from withdrawal. She was not allowed a cigarette.

Late one evening the doorknob was turned slowly. The sound woke Sydney, who rolled over as far as was possible and sat up. Miss Parker, feeling his movement, sat up also and both stared at the door. It is safe to say that, regardless of whatever they had expected, it was not Jarod's grinning face. Miss Parker stood up quickly and, automatically, in her shock, reached for her gun. Jarod stopped her.


"There's no need for that, Miss Parker. Surely you remember that your gun was taken away days ago?"


Sydney spoke quickly. "Jarod, what are you doing here? What are we doing here?"


Jarod closed the door and stepped further into the room. Miss Parker moved towards him but was stopped by the rope, still tied around her waist. "Jarod, why did you bring us here?"


"Miss Parker, I didn't bring you here. I'm here to help you get away."


"Well, then get us out of here!"


Jarod laughed softly at her impatience and sat on the stool, which stood beside the door, with a slight sigh. The older man gave him a close glance before speaking.

"Jarod, can't you get us out of here?"


Looking carefully around, Jarod spoke quietly. "I can't do that, Syd. Not today. But, once I've made preparations, you'll be out of here as soon as possible. I promise."


Miss Parker, for once unable to produce evidence of her natural aggression, slumped down against the joist. "Why have you done this to us?"


Jarod grinned at her, a grin similar to the one he had worn in her room that earlier night. "My dear Miss Parker, I wouldn't do anything of the sort. No, I'm not responsible for your little - adventure. If you want to blame anyone, blame dear Daddy. He's the cause of all this!"


Sydney stared at Jarod while Miss Parker tried to absorb this shock. She had, of course, tried to consider all possible sources of the kidnapping. Her mind had briefly weighed the possibility that her father was somehow involved but, through habitual respect, she had automatically replaced the image of her father with the image of Jarod and, for several days, had constantly blamed Jarod for the unpleasantness of the situation. Now she didn't know what to believe. Sydney, on the other hand, had still trusted Jarod and believed what he said. Now Sydney spoke.


"Jarod, where are we?"


"I don't think it would be wise for me to tell you. You see," Jarod leaned back against the wall and stretched out his legs. "You see, the members of the gang trust me and I can't betray that trust. Besides it wouldn't be safe for you to return here." Jarod dropped his voice to a whisper. "Even if the men here at the moment are... taken care of... the place still won't be safe."


Miss Parker faced Jarod and, tiredly, spoke. "What now?"


"Do you trust me?" The words were spoken in a half-whisper and Miss Parker sat upright. She scowled at him, opened her mouth to snap at answer in his direction, but, recalling the situation, refrained from speaking rudely. Instead she hesitatingly nodded. Sydney, aware of the irony of the situation, spoke instead. "Do we have an option?"


Jarod grinned and, standing up, backed towards the door. "I can't do anything tonight but give me time. We'll get away from here eventually but I need time to prepare everything. I know you hate to hear me say it, but be patient. Don't let on that you know me. It could be the end of everything and we won't get out of here alive."


"But, Jarod..." Sydney spoke as Jarod turned away and Jarod glanced back over his shoulder.


"Well?"


"Who...who ordered this?"


"Do you really want to know?"


"Yes."


"Lyle...and Mr Parker. I don't know if Raines knows but this is part of a deal. You two for me. Fair exchange is no robbery but I think I'm worth more than that! He's tried to get it done before but the attempt was... aborted, let's just say."

Jarod, with a final wicked grin, left the room and shut the door. He could hear Miss Parker's snort, muffled, as he descended the staircase. Grinning again, he turned the key of his companion's room and, opening the door, thrust his head into the room. The man still lay on the bed and Jarod nodded. As he stood, the first rays of the sun came in through the window and Jarod stretched and yawned widely. He still had a few hours to wait until he could take breakfast up to the victims and, until then, he had to stay up, outside the barred door. With a slight sigh he returned to his post.

* * *


At eight o'clock Jarod and Paul ascended the staircase. Jarod held a loaded pistol and Paul carried the tray containing the usual breakfast food. Miss Parker looked up as Jarod entered the room and opened her mouth to speak but the look she received made her close her mouth and silently accept the food given. The meal was partaken of in silence and the two men left. Jarod handed the gun over to Paul and entered the bedroom himself for several hours of sleep. After lunch, Jarod went out on the pretext of completing some work. He drove off in Miss Parker's car for much of the afternoon, returning several hours before he was due to go on duty. Holding up a large bottle of gin, he beckoned to his companion.


"Come on. They'll be okay up there. It's not like they can escape or anything."


Paul, after a quick glance over his shoulder at the closed door, ran down the stairs. He pulled out one of the stools at a large table and gleefully placed himself on it, eyeing the bottle which stood on the table in front of him. Jarod moved behind a partition that divided the kitchen from the rest of the room and appeared with a second, identical, bottle and two glasses.


"Competition. First to finish wins."


Paul grinned and unsealed the bottle which stood on the table. Jarod, with a secret smile, opened his own bottle and filled his glass to the brim. Lucky, thought Jarod, that he hadn't asked what he'd win. Several years 'inside' was hardly a prize worth trying for.

* * *


Two hours later Paul poured the last of the liquid into his glass and raised it to his lips. Jarod sat at the other end of the table and drained his own glass for the third time. Clear-eyed, he watched Paul's eyelids droop with intoxication. The period of drunken singing and yelling had been over for about twenty minutes and now Paul was concentrating on just trying to empty the bottle, the effort keeping him semi-sober and conscious. Jarod watched him warily as the glass was gradually drained in large, noisy gulps. In triumph, Paul raised his glass to Jarod and tried to rise out of his seat.

The thud as he hit the floor, Jarod was certain, could have been heard in the room above and Jarod grinned triumphantly as he stood over the unconscious man. For several seconds silence reigned and Jarod became slightly concerned. Maybe the alcohol had been too much. But, as a loud snore broke through the room, a smile twitched at the corners of Jarod's mouth. His own bottle, containing water and food dye, was still half-full and Jarod tipped it down the sink and rinsed out the glasses, making certain that his fingerprints were erased. The bottles, too, were well washed and then Jarod, having pulled on a pair of leather gloves, proceeded to handcuff Paul and then carried him up the stairs. Propping him in the doorway to the bathroom, which was on the same level as the attic room, and had been used by the prisoners, Jarod moved to the attic room and opened the door.

Jarod flung open the door and strode into the room. Miss Parker, remembering the look she had received earlier, said nothing until Jarod had closed the door behind him with one hand. In his other hand swung a large pair of bolt-cutters and two pairs of handcuffs. The grin on Sydney's face faded to a look of slight confusion as he took in the equipment Jarod held.


"What's going on?"


"Long story but I'll try to explain. Look, as far as you guys are concerned, you need to escape. Fair enough and I'm going to help you. As far as the other gang members are concerned, I'm a trusted member of the gang. Now it just happens that my fellow captor has had a little too much to drink. It also happens that the gang is divided into two groups, working on different jobs. I need to take you two as prisoners, rather than passengers, in case one of the groups comes back. And back here, it needs to look like you escaped. That's the scenario that's being set up. Just trust me."


Jarod clipped handcuffs onto the two prisoners, with their hands in front of them. Sydney made no protest but Miss Parker was somewhat hesitant.


"Jarod, the Centre does deals to get you back all the time. Are you sure you aren't going to hold us to a similar ransom?"


"Miss Parker, I've learnt never to trust the Centre in any way and I wouldn't get involved in any sort of deal with them. Besides, you two aren't that important to the Centre!"


"Of course we are!"


"Yes, well, Daddy did so much to help save you, didn't he? Come on, Miss Parker! How much longer are you going to let him get away with treating you like this?"


Miss Parker made no answer and perhaps Jarod didn't expect one. Using the bolt-cutters, he cut the rope and freed the two former prisoners. As they stretched their legs and walked around the room, Jarod opened the door and, holding Paul under the arms, dragged him in.


"Guys, your fingerprints need to be all over this guy. Besides Miss Parker, wouldn't you like the pleasure of tying him to the pole yourself?"


He didn't need to ask twice.

* * *


Miss Parker stood back to catch her breath as Jarod tightened the rope around Paul a little more than she had been able to. He turned around to find her threatening him with the bolt-cutters and grinned as he pulled out his pistol and aimed it at her head.


"Now I know, without even asking, that this hasn't affected you at all. I won't hesitate to use this, you know. Put that thing down, Miss Parker. You won't get out of here alive unless you co-operate with me. Or else Syd and I can leave you here to wait for the gang to come back. Of course, they won't be too pleased to see what you've done to their friend," he indicated the bloodied body of Paul lying on the floor, "but that's your problem."

He turned to the door and waved Sydney ahead of him. As they descended the staircase a dull thud told Jarod that Miss Parker had either dropped the bolt-cutters or had kicked the unconscious Paul in the head again, so it was no great surprise to hear high heels tapping on the floorboard behind him. Coming to the outer door, he turned and opened it, showing a car with the rear windows blacked out. Sydney turned to Jarod with an expression of surprise but Jarod ignored him and opened the nearest rear door. Sydney and Miss Parker got into the back seat and then Jarod unlocked the handcuffs and took them off before shutting the door. Then he moved around to the driver's side and got in, throwing the cuffs onto the passenger seat. He could hear Miss Parker knocking on the glass, which had been inserted between the front and rear seats and he turned on the intercom so that he could hear her.


"Is this my car?"


"I'm afraid so, Miss Parker. This group never just dumps cars. They adapt them for their own use. It also happens to suit mine. At least you look like prisoners. Don't worry, though. It'll be easy enough to change it back when all this is over. Now, shall we go?"


Jarod put the car into gear and drove down the driveway. Miss Parker tried to remember which way the car had turned when it had brought her to the house, nearly a week earlier, but she couldn't. Realizing that, despite the blacking, she could still see out of the window, Miss Parker watched as trees and houses sped by. She gave a sigh of relief that the ordeal was finally over and settled back against the seat, happy at being able to sit on a soft, comfortable seat. Sydney looked at her in perfect comprehension and smiled. Jarod was driving carefully, staying under the speed limit to avoid notice by anyone who might stop them. He also remained silent until Miss Parker tried to open the window and then he spoke.


"Sorry, Miss Parker, the windows don't open but I'll put the air conditioner on."


He started it up and changed the setting so that only the rear seat would receive the cool air. Then he turned on the radio so that only he could hear it and continued driving.

When, after about half an hour, Jarod pulled in a petrol station to refuel, Miss Parker tried to open the door. Stopping her, and before exiting the car, Jarod explained that the doors had been fixed so that they could not be opened from the inside, in order to prevent any of the prisoners escaping.


"Don't worry, though. I won't be long."


Miss Parker sat back in the chair, sighing angrily. She looked over to Sydney and saw that he was already asleep, lulled into it by the comfort of the car. He had lost weight over the last few days and looked older. Somehow Sydney had become a substitute for the father who didn't care about her. With a sigh she sat back against the seat and closed her eyes.

* * *


Jarod, returning to the car, was glad to see that they were both asleep. He dialed a number on his cell phone and spoke briefly before hanging up and starting the car. He drove for another hour and finally pulled up to a small cabin. He turned off the air conditioner and the radio and opened the door, getting out of the car and stretching. The sound of the motor had brought Susan, Jaclyn and Broots from the interior of the cabin and all three stopped dead when Jarod got out of the car. As the two women approached the car Jarod grinned surreptitiously at them and opened one of the rear doors of the car.

Jarod touched Sydney on the shoulder and, when that elicited no response, shook him gently. Sydney opened his eyes and looked around for a moment before slowly climbing out of the car. Unable to stand properly, he relied on Jarod's arm to get inside the cabin. Looking over his shoulder, Jarod could see that Miss Parker was leaning on Broots in the same way, the relief of no longer being in the stressful situation having affected her as badly as it had Sydney. He steered Sydney through the main room of the cabin and into a bedroom. One of the two beds in the room was made and turned back and Sydney sat on it with a sigh of relief, looking up at Jarod.


"I don't think I've ever felt so tired in my life."


"And you even slept in the car," Jarod grinned as he bent down and undid Sydney's shoes, easing them off.


"Where are we now?"


"Somewhere safe, Syd. Don't worry about that now. We can talk later, when you wake up."


Jarod helped Sydney lie down and then drew the curtains. Before Jarod had left the room, the older man was asleep.

Coming into the larger room, he found that Miss Parker was sitting on the lounge. He knelt in front of her and smiled.


"Sydney's already asleep but there's a bed in another room that you can use if you want."


Miss Parker tried to snap an answer at him but, instead, yawned widely. Jarod laughed and helped her up off the lounge.


"Come on. You can have a few hours sleep here and then we can talk."


Jarod left her in the bedroom and came back into the lounge, to be confronted by Broots.


"Where did you find them?"


"I didn't find them, Mr Broots. I helped guard them!"


Broots gasped and Jarod exploded into laughter at his expression. "Actually that's not strictly true. I found out where they were and got them away. That's all."


Jarod walked towards the outer door and out onto the patio. He looked back inside.


"I've got some stuff to do. One of you ladies care to come with me?"


The two secretaries exchanged glances and Susan walked out towards him. They walked around the cabin to the garage, where Jarod had earlier brought a car for his own use, and, starting up the car, they drove off.

As the car wound around the roads, with a high cliff on one side and sheer drop on the other, Susan, fearful of heights, gave a slight shudder and looked, instead, at Jarod. He was beginning to look tired but considering he had had little sleep over the last few days, that was hardly surprising.


"You okay?"


"Fine. A little tired, but fine. I just can't wait 'til this is all over"


"Nor, I'm sure, can Syd or Miss Parker."


"It is over for them."


"True."


There was no further conversation until Jarod steered the car off the path and the two got out. Jarod walked around to the trunk of the car and pulled out two packages, tossing one to Susan.


"Ten minutes. No more."


Within that time, two 'police officers' were on the road again and driving to a police station. Pulling up outside, Jarod and Susan walked inside and talked to the desk sergeant before being shown into an office where a detective was waiting for them.


"Sir, Jarod Starr and Susan Montgomery to see you."


"Ah, yes. Good to see you both. Starr, it'll be nice to work with you again."


"You, too, sir."


"Well, what's the emergency?"


"I have good information regarding a gang..."

For almost four hours Jarod and Susan were closeted with Detective Swindell. Finally they emerged from the station and drove off in the direction from which they had initially approached the station. Several other police cars, each containing several officers, emerged into the street from a garage located behind the station and took off in the opposite direction. Jarod, stopping along the road, gave Susan a chance to change out of the police uniform. He, however, remained in the car.


"Show-off!" she said, as she got back into the car and he drove off.


"I don't show off. I Pretend, like you do. Secretary you ain't" Jarod laughed.


"You just want Syd to see you in action."


"Not just Syd."


"Sorry, my mistake. Miss Parker took. It's amazing what a uniform will do to a woman!"


"Oh, is that what she is? It's been confusing me recently."


"I suppose that's what you sent her all the Valentine's Day presents..."


"What do you know about those?"


"I read Sydney's case notes. In fact I had to type some of them up again. That virus you sent through the computer system last month caused havoc..."


"...as it was meant to..." interrupted Jarod.


"...and so I had to retype the notes. Are you going to expose the Centre yet, or just drive them nuts and make them more angry at you?"


"That depends on you. What do you want to do?"


"Help you."


"Good! The truth is I haven't decided what I want to do so I'm just kind of stringing them along until I work it out. Besides, if I expose them then I won't find out about my family - or yours."


Susan sighed and the conversation languished.

As they pulled up a little way from the cabin, Jarod pulled out a pair of bird-watching glasses and looked carefully through the bush. Nodding, he got out of the car and shut the door. Susan, too, exited the vehicle and the two strolled up the slight incline. As they entered the room, the occupants, including Sydney, jumped up. Jarod scanned the room with his eyes and grinned.


"Where's Miss Parker?"


Sydney, recognizing his voice, looked at him for a moment before sitting back in his chair with a sigh of relief. He tried to scowl at his former protégé.


"You did that deliberately, Jarod. It wasn't particularly funny either!"


"Oh, I thought it was! Where's Miss Parker?"


"In bed still."


"Fair enough."

After about ten minutes Broots went into one of the other rooms of the cabin with Susan to complete some secretarial work. Jaclyn, too, left on the pretext of doing some work and Jarod and Sydney were left alone. They sat in silence for several minutes before Sydney spoke.


"Why did you really come back here?"


"Here? You mean to the cabin? Mainly because I wanted to check that you guys wanted to go back to the Centre before I arranged it for you." Jarod stretched himself out on the now vacated couch and tucked his hands under his head.


"Why come in uniform?" Sydney asked, curiously. Jarod looked him squarely in the eye.


"Because most parents like seeing what their children make of their lives and I know you've never really liked that leather gear that I usually wear."


"Jarod, how many more times do I have to say this? I'm not..."


"I know, Sydney, but you're the closest thing to it that I've got."


"Is that why you helped us?"


"Partly. Besides which I like helping people. It makes me feel worthwhile and useful."


"You're that anyway."


"Oh, sure." Jarod spoke sarcastically. "Helping the Centre sell my SIMs to other countries and using them to kill people. Really left me feeling fulfilled."


Sydney felt uncomfortable and fell silent. Jarod pulled his hat down over his eyes and sighed. After about ten minutes Sydney wondered if Jarod had fallen asleep and slowly got out of his chair. However, at his first movement, Jarod sat up and moved the hat back onto his head.


"Don't go. I'm awake. Anyway, I have to get going; it's getting dark."


"What's that got to do with it?"


"Do you want those guys captured or not? I happen to know that Lyle was coming to see his prisoners tonight and I want to be there to meet him, along with a few friends."


"Can I come?" Neither of the men had heard Susan approach the room and her entrance startled them both.
"Well?"


"If you can do as you're told and stay out of danger." Jarod's voice was gruff as he was forced to suppress the laughter which her comments caused.

* * *


Jarod watched as Susan and the other uniformed members of the police force led the gang out to the waiting cars. He straightened his hat and, rising from his crouched position under a convenient bush, waited until the last car had driven away before appearing. The detective and Susan were the only two people waiting outside the house and Jarod greeted them with a broad grin.


"Well, Detective Swindell, another job well done."


The detective turned to Jarod and heartily shook his hand before moving to his car. A moment later Jarod, burdened by a large parcel and accompanied by Susan, was driving back towards the cabin. They drove for several hours and then pulled up outside the building.

After loading the package into the trunk of Miss Parker's car, Jarod moved stealthily to the cabin and peeped in through one of the windows. Susan ducked down behind him and the two grinned at each other upon hearing Miss Parker hold forth.


"...And if Jarod thinks he can just sweep us up and take us to the middle of nowhere - we don't even know where he is now and he's taken that..."


Jarod had been about to move around to the door when, to his amazement, he saw it slowly swing open. Looking over his shoulder he saw that Susan was still waiting beside him and he knew that the same expression of confusion would be apparent on his own face. He turned back.

"Well, Miss Parker, Sydney, it's nice to see you both looking so well." Lyle looked down at the gun he held in his hand and gestured with his head to the other occupants of the room to move back. As they complied, he shut the door and looked around. "Where's Wonderboy?"


"Why would you imagine we've seen Jarod?"

Sydney's measured tones stopped Miss Parker as she was about to move forward and she swallowed the sarcastic comment she had been about to make. It was not the time to tempt Lyle, now, when she was weaponless.


"Oh, please Sydney. Why else would you be here in this cabin, deep in the middle of nowhere? I know you have regular contact with him and it would help explain your absence from work over the past week. I hope you've got a good excuse for that, because Raines is pretty upset."


Sydney put one hand on Miss Parker's shoulder to prevent her from answering and the look he shot at Broots had the same affect. Lyle sat himself comfortably on a chair inside the room and smirked.

Jarod moved back from the window and hurried Susan a little way down the path. As he spoke, he desperately scanned the road with his eyes and was rewarded by seeing a police car come silently, and without lights, towards them. Moving out onto the road he turned on a small pocket torch which he was carrying, and indicated for the car to stop. As it pulled over to the side of the road, he whispered in Susan's ear and she hurried back up to the cabin.


"Well, Starr, what now?" The detective's voice was suppressed but urgent.


"Sir, the man we failed to catch, Bowman, is up in the cabin at the moment."


"Is he armed?"


"Yes, sir."


"And Montgomery?"


"She's no longer in uniform, sir. I thought it best that she keep watch at present behind the cabin to prevent Bowman escaping."


"Good. I'll send some people up to keep her company."


"Sir, how many do you have with you?"


"Enough. Why, have you got an idea?"


"Perhaps, sir. Perhaps..."

* * *


"Lyle, what are you waiting for? Why are we staying here?" Miss Parker's eyes couldn't help straying to the door. She couldn't tell whether she wanted Jarod to walk in or not.


"My dear sister, I'm simply waiting for Jarod's smiling face to come through that door." Lyle, too, had kept an eye on the door but it was evident from his gratified expression that he had no doubt whatever as to what his actions would be.


Jaclyn, having said nothing since Lyle had entered the room, now glanced surreptitiously out of the window behind her. She had seen Jarod and Susan standing there when Lyle had first walked in, and now she watched as several figures walked cautiously around to positions behind the cabin. Although it was difficult, with the strong light in room and the reflections on the windows, to see outside, she was certain that several people were now surrounding the cabin and she trembled slightly when she realized that moonlight was glinting off metal - these people were as well armed, or perhaps better armed, than Lyle himself. And there was so many of them...

Lyle had allowed his prisoners to sit down and he had been waiting for Jarod for almost a quarter of an hour. Now he stood and impatiently paced the room. Although he no longer had the gun aimed at the other people in the room, he still had a firm grip on it that warned Miss Parker and the others not to attempt anything stupid. His pacing passed the outer doorway and was clearly visible through the windows that stood on either side of the door. The men outside grinned as they took up the positions suggested by Jarod. Finally, as Lyle became increasingly more frustrated, they moved into action.

One group of four officers moved up to the door of the cabin and, responding to a silent signal, flung open the door. As planned, the edge slammed into Lyle's face as he turned, having reached the end of his pacing stride. Knocked to the floor, Lyle found himself staring down the barrel of a gun, Jarod's face grinning at him as two other officers cuffed his arms behind his back. His gun, which had flown against the wall, was speedily rescued by another officer and bagged for evidence. Lyle, himself, was put onto a chair, with an officer on either side, as the cabin filled with numerous uniformed figures.

As his rights were read, Lyle glared up at Jarod, who grinned back unperturbedly. Sydney sat, stunned, as Lyle's list of crimes, including the murder of his friend years earlier, was read aloud. Finally he was taken away and loaded into a car which was brought up to the doorway and drove off, loaded with officers. The group watched as the cars disappeared down the driveway, and then Susan emerged from the shadow of a nearby tree and walked up.


"Is everything okay?"


Jarod had a difficult time refraining from laughter as he nodded. He turned to Sydney and was shocked and concerned to see him looking pale and wan. In concern he guided him back to the cabin and took him inside. Seating him on the lounge, Jarod ordered Miss Parker, without looking around, to get him a glass of water. Broots answered.


"She's not here."


As he spoke, Jarod heard a car start up and drive away. Smothering his laughter, he realized that Miss Parker, having taken her keys from the table on which Jarod had thrown them on re-entering the cabin, had driven off. Broots brought the glass and Jarod made Sydney sip the water and, afterwards, insisted that he go to bed. Sydney didn't argue and Broots took him there, leaving Jarod alone with the two secretaries for several minutes.


Jarod held out his hands to the two women with an expression of gratitude on his face. "Thank-you. I couldn't have done it without your help."


Jaclyn grinned. "Did you see Lyle's face when he saw you? I've never seen anything so hysterically funny in all my life. I think he honestly thought you were going to bounce in here and he could catch you and take you back to the Centre on his own."


"Well, he's safe for a while, anyway."


"You mean..."


"You don't think he'll stay in jail, do you? Or even be convicted? The 'man who can't die' won't let himself be caught like that!"


"And Mr Parker?"


"I've heard a rumor..." Jarod grinned.


The two girls groaned and picked up cushions, hitting him several times before he began to fight back and armed himself with a pillow lying on the sofa. Within seconds he had the two women gasping for air and he stood back, grinning triumphantly. Broots exited the bedroom, closing the door behind him, and Jarod turned.


"Asleep?"


"Of course. Although I don't know how long he'll stay that way, with the noise you guys are making."


"You happy to sleep in the other bed in that room?"


"Don't you want it?"


"I have to leave early."


Broots grinned. "Of course you do. I forgot. You always like to get a jump on the rest of us - literally!" Then he yawned widely. "Well, I might go now, if nobody minds. I've got no idea what time it is, but it's got to be late."


Jarod looked at his watch. "Actually it's early. It's two thirty am."


Broots disappeared into the bedroom and Jaclyn, also yawning, made for the other room. Susan sat on one chair and Jarod the other. They looked at each other and laughed quietly.


"Think they suspect?"


"Not a thing. Well done, Officer Starr."


"And you, Officer Montgomery."


"Will we still need to meet?"


"Of course. How else can I torment the Centre if I don't have you to help me? Tomorrow okay?"


"Have you got something planned?"


"Don't I always?"


Susan laughed. "Good night Jarod."


"Good night."

* * *


Sydney was not overly surprised to see that Jarod was not in the cabin the next morning when he got up. However what did surprise him was to see his own car parked outside on the driveway. Going outside, he examined the car and was pleased to see that it looked all right. A map on the passenger seat, with a route highlighted in pink, Sydney assumed was telling him how to get home. Grabbing the map, he searched for a sign that would tell him - there! North of the Appalachian Mountains, about four hours drive from Blue Cove. A small note, attached to the map, confused him.


"Don't be too long. Somebody at home is going to rely on you in the future. Jarod."

* * *


Miss Parker rolled over and gave a sigh. The constant nightmares about the kidnapping and the events that had followed it were preventing her from sleeping well and this would have been the third night of bad dreams and broken sleep. Wishing desperately for some sympathy, she thought about her father's reaction to her appearance in the office the morning following Lyle's arrest. It was as though she had never gone away, although had he reproached her for letting Jarod get away again. Turning over again, she gasped as the tree outside her window rapped sharply against the glass. Sitting upright, she reached over and turned on the lamp. With relief she saw that a storm was beginning to blow up and that the strong winds had moved the branches. Turning to turn off the lamp she gasped as she discerned a dark figure in the hall outside her window. Picking up her gun, she prayed that the other person was unarmed and that they did not realize that the gun was empty. Standing up, she moved towards the door and flung it wide open.

Jarod stepped into the room and grinned at her. In his right hand he held a bundle of papers, but she ignored it and aimed her gun at his head, hoping that she could actually frighten him into believing that she was going to shoot him.


"It's not loaded."


Miss Parker, in amazement, lowered the weapon. "How did you know?"


"X-ray vision."


"What?!"


"Well, if a guy who wears his underwear outside his clothes can have it, why not me?"


She looked in amazement as he showed her the Superman comic he held and sat, complacently, on the chair which stood inside the door. Frustrated but curious, she sat on her bed and looked at him.


"Well, what do you want this time?"


"Oh, I just thought I'd come and see how you survived the events of the last few days."


"Well, you can see for yourself that I did. Now get out."


"Deja vu."


"What?"


"Don't you remember saying that, just over a fortnight ago? It's like it was only yesterday..."


"Jarod?"


"Yeah?"


"Shut up!"


Jarod rose and moved towards the door. "I know when I'm not wanted."


"You certainly aren't!"


"How's Syd?"


"I don't know. He didn't come to work today."


"Maybe he's been..."


"...kidnapped? Well, Superboy, I'm sure you'll be able to get yourself back into that uniform and find him. Just leave me out of it this time, okay?"


"Miss Parker, it wasn't me that got you into it in the first place."


"I'm aware of that!"


"So why insist on blaming me for something that I didn't do?"


"I can't blame my father!"


"I don't even have a father to blame!"


"Put yourself in my situation..."


"I have. Several times. And I still think you're being unreasonable. All I did was get you out of a situation which, eventually, would probably have resulted in your death. And you can't even say thank-you."


"Jarod, if it wasn't for you having disappeared, I wouldn't have been in the goddamn situation in the first place."


"No, you would have died years ago."


Miss Parker was silenced and Jarod took advantage of the fact to speak.


"Look, Miss Parker, I'm sorry for what you've gone through and sorry that I couldn't prevent it. I'm also sorry for a lot of other things in my life and I can't do anything about them either, like the fact that Lyle will be out and back in the Centre tomorrow. But I have to get over them and try to keep going with my life. There's stuff you can't do anything about either, like the fact that I'm about to walk out of here and disappear again until the next time I get in touch with you. And you have to get over it too, or else you'd never do anything but dwell on the past. But, hey, it's really none of my business."


He turned to the door again and was about to disappear down the stairs when Miss Parker spoke again.


"Thank you."


He smiled, fleetingly, as he disappeared from view. She could see his response in the morning, if the whining of the puppy didn't draw her downstairs before then.



The End
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=2557