Secrets & Lies by maestra
Summary: A series of drabbles.
Categories: Lies/Lying Characters: Miss Parker
Genres: Angst, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: Drabble #38 Lies/Lying
Challenges: Drabble #38 Lies/Lying
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 1279 Read: 26969 Published: 27/05/05 Updated: 27/05/05

1. Chapter One: Free by maestra

2. Chapter Two: On The Road To Dover by maestra

3. Chapter Three: Sacrificial Lamb by maestra

4. Chapter Four: Someone to Watch Over Me by maestra

5. Chapter Five: Lab Rat by maestra

6. Chapter Six: Ashes to Ashes by maestra

7. Chapter Seven: Memories by maestra

8. Chapter Seven: My Angel by maestra

Chapter One: Free by maestra
Secrets & Lies
by Maestra



“This isn’t going to go over well with the Triumvirate. You were supposed to capture him alive,” Lyle seethed.

Cleaners crawled over the crash site like maggots, collecting evidence for the Triumvirate and wiping away any traces of Jarod’s existence in the world outside the Centre. His sports car lay crumpled against an old oak tree, the fiery impact leaving no more than a pile of broken charred bones.

Stoically, Parker turned from the smoking wreck and replied, “Preferably. Regardless my contractual obligation to the Centre is finished.”

Killing Tommy assured she stayed at the Centre, but Jarod’s death set her free.

-
Chapter Two: On The Road To Dover by maestra
A/N: For Catling.

Secrets & Lies
by Maestra



“Uh, Sydney,” Broots stammered, “There’s been an accident on the road to Dover… it’s Jarod…”

Sydney rose quickly from the chair, “Let’s go.”

“I don’t think you want to see this Sydney. I didn’t want to be the one to tell you… but, Jarod didn’t make it.”

“I must go to him, take me there,” Sydney’s voice cracked.

Fifteen minutes later they pulled up by Miss Parker and Sydney rushed to her side.

“Is it true?” His eyes searched hers begging for some sign it was a lie. But, she nodded.

Sydney crumpled, the sobs of a man who had lost his finest achievement, and son, filled the night air.

-
Chapter Three: Sacrificial Lamb by maestra
A/N: For RRP.

Secrets & Lies
by Maestra



The young lab technician nervously handed him the file. It was her first week at the Centre and she was as skittish of him as a new colt. He smiled as the soft leather of his gloved hand caressed her cheek, “Thank you for your prompt handling of this matter, Audrey. You know, it’s too bad you’re not Asian…”

His cell phone rang and he turned away with a sigh to answer it, flipping open the file on the counter beside him. “Yes. I just received the preliminary DNA analysis. It confirms that the remains were indeed Jarod’s. Indeed, it’s a sad day for the Centre.”

He turned back to the lovely lab tech with a smile after closing his phone, “I know this great place that serves the most tender lamb. Would you care to join me for dinner?”
Chapter Four: Someone to Watch Over Me by maestra
A/N: For Bec Bec

Secrets & Lies
by Maestra



He’d sent Debbie on a plane this morning to visit her mother and new baby sister. He wouldn’t have even had Debbie in his life for all these years if it hadn’t been for Jarod, he thought morosely.

It hurt like hell to lie to Sydney. Now the broken man lay sedated in the infirmary at Miss Parker’s insistence. Broots looped the feed, while a young lab tech entered the room and spoke to Miss Parker. A moment later the tech was gone, like a puff of smoke upon the wind. He reset the cameras, under the ever watchful Centre eyes.

-
Chapter Five: Lab Rat by maestra
A/N: For Mal

Secrets & Lies
by Maestra



Quietly he sat next to the vent and listened, pressed his fingers to the grate and looked out into the infirmary to see whose grief had drawn him here. Sydney lay in a restless sleep, alternately weeping and mumbling.

He approached and placed his left hand upon Sydney’s chest speaking softly to him,”Sydney sad, Sydney miss Jarod.” Then he placed his right over his own heart, “Don’t cry Sydney. People we love, here, forever.”

“How touching.” Lyle drawled as he escorted Audrey and Miss Parker into the room.

“You never met Jarod in your brief time here at the Centre did you Audrey? That’s such a shame, you might have liked the lab rat,” Miss Parker remarked.

“Long live the Centre, the Prodigy is dead,” Lyle replied coldly.

-
Chapter Six: Ashes to Ashes by maestra
A/N: For Mel

Secrets & Lies
by Maestra



The good old days of experiments and discoveries were gone for him, and likely for the Centre. Alex, Damon, Dannie, Eddie, Kyle, and Angelo, the one he’d argued with Catherine over... one by one his hopes and dreams for each of his children had turned to ashes.

He’d fought for years to wrest Jarod, away from Sydney. The child he’d coveted. But no matter how devious or cunning he’d been, he’d never succeeded in stealing the project. Even turning Sydney into a drug addict hadn’t shattered the relationship he and Jarod shared. No, the Triumverate didn’t believe in breaking up a good team.

His proudest achievement, project Gemini, had been stolen from him and given to Sydney too. It was his fault both Jarod and his clone escaped! Now Sydney cowered like a child in the infirmary, while he was left to deal with the consequences of his negligence. Flipping the DNA analysis Lyle had given him into his inbox he picked up his phone to make arrangements for the burial. It just left a bad taste in Raines’ mouth, the taste, was of ashes.

-
Chapter Seven: Memories by maestra
A/N: For Bex

Secrets & Lies
by Maestra



He’d pined after her for years. It was cute really… the way he ran and she chased. Their relationship had always been about give and take, a bit of a dance. Oh, how he had taunted her! Like pulling a school girl’s braids, he sent her notes and presents… and clues to his whereabouts, just like an overgrown child. Not even Lyle could infuriate her more.

He had understood her how her mother’s death had affected her and how afraid she was to give her heart to any man. And he’d sent the most trustworthy person he knew to make her feel treasured, Tommy.

He’d genuinely cared for her, no matter how cruelly she’d treated him. Would she ever experience that closeness with another?

How the secrets of their pasts and the lies told by the Centre had colored both their lives!

Caught up in memories, she clutched his last gift to her, a tiny silver heart, in her hand.

-
Chapter Seven: My Angel by maestra
A/N: For Bratling

Secrets & Lies
by Maestra



He was truly in heaven. He drew back the curtain and looked at the group gathered in the yard below enjoying their coffee with the sunrise. His life had never been more perfect.

He’d forgiven Sydney, and Sydney had forgiven him for not making him part of the plan.
With Broots, Angelo, Miss Parker and Audrey on the team, he was confident they could pull it off.
Lyle and Raines were convinced by the rushed analysis of genetic material from one of his copies from Donoterase. He’d made sure there’d been no way for them to put their Pretender together again. Miss Parker’s agreement with the Centre had been honored. She was free.

The chase was finally over… the Huntress won, but the Centre had lost. Setting the steaming cup of coffee on the nightstand, he sat down beside her sleeping form. The white sheet was tangled around her, and early morning light spilled across her dark hair on the down pillow and his tiny silver heart nestled between her breasts on a chain.

He leaned over, gathered her close, and kissed his Angel good morning.

~finis~
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=2229