Sleight of Hand by KB
Summary: A woman with a few tricks up her sleeve may know more than she's letting on.
Categories: Post Pretender 2001 Characters: Angelo, Broots, Debbie, Ethan, Jarod, Jarod's Family, Lyle, Miss Parker, Mr Parker, Mr Raines, Original Character, Other Centre Character, Sydney
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 204645 Read: 294772 Published: 26/05/05 Updated: 26/05/05

1. Prologue by KB

2. Part 1 by KB

3. Part 2 by KB

4. Part 3 by KB

5. Part 4 by KB

6. Part 5 by KB

7. Part 6 by KB

8. Part 7 by KB

9. Part 8 by KB

10. Part 9 by KB

11. Part 10 by KB

12. Part 11 by KB

13. Part 12 by KB

14. Part 13 by KB

15. Part 14 by KB

16. Part 15 by KB

17. Part 16 by KB

18. Part 17 by KB

19. Part 18 by KB

20. Part 19 by KB

21. Part 20 by KB

22. Part 21 by KB

23. Part 22 by KB

24. Part 23 by KB

25. Part 24 by KB

26. Part 25 by KB

27. Part 26 by KB

28. Part 27 by KB

29. Part 28 by KB

30. Epilogue by KB

Prologue by KB
Sleight of Hand
Prologue



Blue Cove, Delaware
She pulled out of the curbside park and was then forced to stop at a traffic light a short way down the road. The day being fine, she had the roof of the convertible open and the radio on. Her short-cropped red hair was just visible under the black hat that was pulled down over it but, as the light changed to green, she removed the dark headgear and tossed it into the back seat, allowing her hair to glow in the bright sunshine. The car began to pick up speed, but fortunately was still only traveling comparatively slowly when a figure, coming out a nearby alley, and with his head turned to look back over his shoulder, ran directly into its path.

The woman immediately slammed on the brakes, unable to do anything else as the man's body was struck by the front corner of the vehicle and rolled over the bonnet, hitting the ground on the other side. Before she could gasp, he had thrown his bags into the back of her car and vaulted in to the passenger seat.

"What the...?"

"Drive. Please."

She lifted her foot off the brake and put it on the accelerator, pressing down hard as she glanced back in time to see a group of people appear from the alley. Turning back to the road ahead, she watched out of the corner of her eye as the man in the passenger seat fought to catch his breath. His left hand clutched his other wrist, his eyes were closed and he leaned against the headrest. A few beads of sweat glistened on his forehead and began trickling down his face. For several long minutes there was silence before he opened his eyes and looked at her.

"Thank you."

"Seems a strange thing to say considering I just ran you over,” the woman commented.

He grinned faintly. "One good turn..."

She glanced at him. "Do you do that often?"

"Do what?"

"Just jump into the car of the person who hit you?"

"No. I usually open the door first."

"Can I take you anywhere?" She paused. "Like hospital?"

"It's fine." The man looked down at the wrist that was beginning to swell. "Simple fracture."

She nodded. "So can I take you anywhere else then, like home?"

"Where are you going?"

"Home myself."

"Mind if I tag along?"

The car was stopped at a light and she turned to stare at him. "You get hit by me, jump into my car and tell me to drive, don't want me to take you to a hospital and now want to come back to my house? You haven't even told me your name."

"Jarod." He held out his uninjured left hand and grinned.

She shook it gingerly. "I'm Helen." As the light changed to green, she focused on the road ahead, continuing to watch him out of the corner of her eye.

"So what do you do?" he queried after a moment of silence

"Law."

"You're a lawyer?"

"No." Helen smiled. "But if you're planning to sue me for hitting you, I might have to find one."

"I wasn't." Jarod looked at the long scratches on the dark green bonnet that his case had caused. "Were you planning anything as a result of my damage?"

"A little sandpaper and spray paint. It'll be as good as new."

He raised an eyebrow. "A legal mechanic?"

She laughed. "I like cars and I know how to take care of them. Actually it's not even my car l. I'm only in Delaware for today. I'll drive home tonight, fix it up and get it back to the rental company early tomorrow morning."

"So where do you live?"

"New Jersey. Just over the border."

"I know where it is."

"No, I mean my house is just over the border. About an hour away."

He nodded slowly. "Do you have a sofa that I could crash on for tonight? I'll leave tomorrow, but I don’t know if I can..."

"I’d imagine that, after being hit by my car, you probably don't feel like doing anything much." Helen smiled. "It's fine. You're welcome to come."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"So who was she?"

Broots glanced up. "We don't know, Miss Parker. The car's a rental but the name and address that the woman gave don't check out."

"What do you think, Syd?" She leaned against the desk. "Prearranged?"

"Considering that she actually hit him, I wouldn't say so, would you?"

"So why was Boy Wonder in Blue Cove?"

As Sydney was considering a response, the door of the Tech Room opened and the other Parker twin walked through. "Presumably he was the person who broke into Dad's office."

"What?" Miss Parker stared at him. "Lyle, what are you talking about?"

"Dad got back from the meeting with the Triumvirate and found his top filing cabinet drawer open, although he was sure he'd locked it. There's quite a lot of information that's gone; classified files that aren't to be found anywhere else in the Centre, all of which pertained, I'm positive you won't be surprised to learn, to Jarod and his family."

Miss Parker turned around, but Broots had already started the program giving him access to the security system and within minutes had the relevant footage on the screen.

"That's not Jarod," the psychiatrist stated after watching the film for a moment.

Lyle looked over at Sydney sharply. "Sure?"

"Positive, Lyle. Look at the figure. Jarod isn't that thin." Sydney eyed the footage closely. "That's a woman."

"A woman who knows what she's doing."

Miss Parker watched the slim figure move into camera shot, ensuring that her face wasn't visible under her black hat, and went over to the filing cabinet. She inserted a thin device into the lock and turned it before sliding open one of the drawers and extracting a bundle of files.

"How did she get in?"

"I… I don't know, Mr. Lyle. Your father wouldn't permit either a second or unfixed camera into the room, so we can't get a look at that side of it."

The four people watched silently as the woman walked over to a place just visible on the edge of the picture and smoothly shifted aside a large bookcase, revealing a space behind. In the space was a large bundle of papers and with an obviously practiced movement she swapped them for a pile out of a bag she carried before putting those she had stolen in their place.

"What the devil...?"

Miss Parker rounded on her brother. "Didn't you know that was there?"

Lyle pursed his lips and spoke carelessly. "Seems you're not the only person Dad's been keeping secrets from." He leaned forward. "Broots, forward the footage and let's find out if Dad knows that stuff's missing."

The group watched as the woman smoothly replaced the shelf and then went out of camera shot. Pausing the tape briefly, Broots bought up the time schedule and then continued. The four people could see that it was almost twenty minutes later when Mr. Parker came in. It was another twenty minutes before he opened the drawer. Even in rapid motion his anger was clear. Glancing around the room, he went over and, as the woman had, opened the previously hidden place. Taking the files over to his desk, he flipped through them, nodded, and returned them to the hole, concealing them again.

"So he didn't notice they were different..."

Sydney looked thoughtfully at the screen. "I know this sounds rather extreme, but could that have been an exchange of files intended to look like theft? There's no other sign that the woman was here apart from the fact that we're looking at her and usually we're able to tell if even Jarod was in the building. Admittedly it isn't until a few hours afterwards..."

"That's a little far fetched, Sydney." Miss Parker looked scornful and then glanced up at Lyle. "Are you going to mention to Daddy that we know about it?"

"Considering the mood he's in right now, I think that would be asking for trouble."

# # #


Falk, New Jersey
"You sure you're okay, Jarod?"

"I will be."

"So you survive getting run over with only simple fracture of the wrist? That's very impressive."

"Maybe a cracked rib or two as well." He shrugged. "It's only bone."

Helen rolled her eyes and laughed. "Glad you're so easy about it." She turned the car into a side street and then down a tree-lined avenue before pulling up into the driveway of a small bungalow. "Can you manage?"

"I'll be fine." Reaching over with his left hand, he opened the door of the car and, keeping his right arm pressed to his side, grabbed his bags out of the back seat.

"Got everything?"

He nodded and, picking up her own things, she went up the path and unlocked the door, holding it open so that he could enter first.

"Drop your things in the living room and grab a seat." Helen went into another room and he could hear her opening and closing a cupboard before she walked in to the room where he was sitting. "I'll grab a couple of drinks and then help you with it. You won't be able to tape ribs and bandage a wrist on your own, particularly not if you're right-handed."

He nodded. "Thanks."

She carried the two full glasses into the living room and handed one to him, sitting down opposite. "So are you really in want of help or is this just a novel way to get in to a woman's home?"

Jarod laughed, despite the pain it caused. "Well, I think that if it came down to a fight, then you'd probably win."

"That's very comforting, thanks." She grinned, watching him swallow half the glass's contents in a few large gulps. "Slow down. There's more where that came from."

"I'm thirsty. Maybe it's the shock."

"We were driving for an hour. How long does it take you to get over shock?"

He grinned, but the smile faded as Jarod felt himself becoming slightly light-headed. He blinked a few times, watching as the world slid in and out of focus in front of his eyes, and frowned.

"Jarod?" Helen stood up. "Is something wrong?"

"I think I wasn't k-kidding w-when I t-talked a-bout sh-shock." He leaned back and closed his eyes briefly. The feeling of light-headedness was growing and he also felt strangely dizzy. As the glass was gently removed from his hand, Jarod lifted his head, forcing his suddenly-heavy eyelids up to hers, struggling to focus as she stood beside him, her arms folded, watching and waiting, just out of reach.

"W... what...?" His speech, slurred through lips that were becoming numb, came slowly. "What... did you... give me?"

"Don't bother fighting, Jarod. It's too strong. You can't do anything."

He leaned forward in the seat, feeling himself sway. "W...Why...?"

"Just relax. It's too late. You can't change this now."

"P...please...H...Helen..."

Making a supreme effort, Jarod raised the uninjured hand, holding it up in a plea for assistance of some sort but she remained unmoving, silent, watching. Slowly the potent chemicals took control, his arm became too heavy and he let it to drop back down into his lap. Numbly, he felt her place a hand on his shoulder and push him back against the sofa. For several long seconds, he withstood it, but the continued pressure was too great to be overcome by his diminished strength and finally he yielded, slumping back against the cushion. He fought to think of some way out of the situation, but his drugged mind could provide him with no viable answers as he vainly struggled against the powerful sedative, not wanting to give in.

Every limb began to feel as if it was made of lead as his vision blurred again, and it gradually became impossible for Jarod to keep his head upright. He let it sink against the back of the sofa, holding his breath in an attempt to keep his vision focused on her, but ultimately he could fight no longer. His eyelids slowly slid down, fluttering as he struggled one final time, then lay still. His unhurt hand, having been clenched in a tight fist, relaxed and slid down from his knee, dropping beside his leg on the cushion. After a long moment of silence his head rolled to one side, his lips parted and his chest fell as his body exhaled the breath he’d been holding in. She leaned over, putting her mouth close to his ear.

"Sweet dreams, Pretender."
Part 1 by KB
Sleight of Hand
part 1



The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"What is it, Sydney?" Miss Parker walked into his office and took a seat opposite the psychiatrist.

"I'm concerned."

"No, really?" Her voice became sarcastic. "I would never have guessed."

He turned away, staring at a point on the wall behind her, and she became more serious. "What about?"

"Jarod." Sydney looked back at her. "Did it occur to you that he actually got hit by that car before he jumped into it? I thought he might at least have called to let us know that he was okay."

"Actually I did think of that. I left Broots running a search of all the hospitals in Blue Cove and the outskirts, just in case."

Sydney nodded. "And you'll let me know...?"

"Don't worry, Syd. You'll be the first person I tell after I drag him back here. I'm sure they'll let you visit him in the infirmary."

He glared at her. "That isn't funny, Parker." After a pause, Sydney changed the subject. "Did you talk to your father?"

She nodded. "He didn't mention the robbery. It's the second time he's done that."

"When was the first?"

"When Jarod broke into his house a few years ago, just before we ended up at the Dover Town Bank together. I'm sure you remember that fun little experience."

# # #


Falk, New Jersey
Helen walked over to pick up the phone, her eyes fixed on the sleeping man opposite her. When it was answered she ignored the usual civilities.

"I got what you wanted. Several things, in fact. But the primary article will be the most interesting. I'm sure you can manage to make it here in less than three hours. If not, it might not still be here. Just make sure you come."

She disconnected the call abruptly and walked into the kitchen, pouring the rest of the drink from Jarod's glass into the sink and washing it carefully with detergent and hot water, before draining her own glass. Glancing over her shoulder, able to see him from where she was, Helen chuckled softly. It had been so ridiculously, easy and so unplanned. She was almost positive that it was the right person and everything seemed to confirm it - his name, the pursuit, the bags he carried. It all added up. Walking into the other room, she opened the cupboard and took out a large black bag, carrying it back into the living room and pulling up a small table so that she could sit opposite him. For a moment, Helen stared solemnly at the limp figure before suddenly grinning.

"You made it far too easy, Jarod. For somebody on the run, you really gave a lot away. Maybe next time, if there is a next time, you should be more careful."

She opened the first folder and visually scanned the pages of data it contained. Glancing down at her black attire, Helen got up, going into the other room and opening the cupboard. Pulling out a different outfit, she quickly donned it. Looking in the mirror, she smiled in satisfaction before going back to the living room, where the only sound was the regular breathing of the unconscious figure on the sofa.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Miss Parker watched the footage from her father's office again, eyes fixed on the figure in black as she confidently made her way across the room. "What else do you think she took?"

Sydney shrugged. "It would be impossible to tell what your father may keep in his office, Parker. But no doubt they were highly confidential documents. I just have to wonder what use they were to her."

"Not to mention who she is." The woman leaned back in her seat. "To change the subject, what did the rental records from that car we saw Jarod leap into show?"

"She gave her name as Helen Barnes, living just outside Blue Cove, but there is no-one of that name at that address. In fact there's no Helen Barnes anywhere in all Delaware, according to what Broots found out."

"And the rental company?"

Lyle leaned forward. "It's genuine. She paid for the car in advance and it's due back tomorrow. I already ordered a sweeper team to watch the place."

"I don't think it'll help."

"Why not?" Miss Parker looked at Sydney sharply.

"Well, considering that she gave a false name and address, not to mention a fake driver's license, I doubt she'd make the mistake of taking the car back in person." He paused. "Especially not after recognizing us."

She sat back, staring at him. "So you think that the woman who hit Jarod and the one who robbed my father were the same?"

He nodded slowly, seeing the skepticism on her face. "I don't know why I think so but I do."

Miss Parker raised an eyebrow. "I think you've been working too hard."

"Call it instinct." Sydney glanced down at the black-clad woman on the screen in front of him. "I’m somehow sure that she's the one who was in your father's office, and that she's probably also the reason he hasn't called."

"You think he's in danger or something? That's laughable, Sydney. The most danger he could be in, in his eyes anyway, is to be brought back here."

"I can think of a number of ways that he could be in danger that don't involve us at all." Sydney glanced up at her. "And if somebody else managed to learn what he was capable of, it might not just be Jarod who could be in trouble."

Miss Parker's eyes narrowed. "Clarify that."

"She could hold the Centre to ransom."

# # #


Falk, New Jersey
"Jarod?"

He heard the voice as if from a great distance and struggled to get free of the fog that seemed to be surrounding his mind, making it impossible to move.

"Jarod, it's time to wake up now. Come on."

Feeling a hand gently touch his face, Jarod concentrated on opening his eyes, finally managing to lift the lids that felt so heavy. His blurred vision was able to make out a dark-haired shape in front of him that, as he slowly blinked to clear his sight, formed itself into a familiar figure.

"E...Em...?" The syllables were mouthed but no sound came.

"Yes, Jarod." Emily smiled and gently stroked his cheek. "It's me. Don't try to talk yet. You won't be able to, not for a while longer."

He tried to raise a hand, to touch her and make sure that she was real, but his hand felt weighed down and Jarod had no strength to lift it. His lips moved again, silently, as he tried to shape words that wouldn't come.

"It's okay,” his sister soothed. “Shh. Just relax. You'll be fine soon."

Looking around, Jarod was able to make out the fact that he was still in the same room where he had... What had happened? He began to recall what had occurred and, remembering, he tensed and tried to move again.

"Jarod, relax." Emily placed a gentle hand on his forehead. "Don't worry, you're safe. I'm here and I wouldn't let anything happen to you."

The effect of the drug was gradually wearing off, and he was finally able to move his head on the cushion where it was lying. "What are you...?" The words came out slowly. "How are you...here?"

"I got a call telling me where you were, from a friend of mine."

"Who?"

"Helen. You've met her."

"She's...a friend?"

Emily smiled. "Although it may not have seemed like it, yes she is."

"And…where...?"

"I'm right here, Jarod."

He turned his head to see her standing in the doorway and tensed as he looked up at her. His sister noticed immediately. "It's alright, Jarod. I told you she was a friend and she is. You know you can trust me, don't you?"

Slowly he nodded, feeling some of his strength returning, as he pulled himself into a sitting rather than a prone position. Helen walked over and gave a glass of clear liquid to his sister. Emily put it to his lips, but her brother turned his head away, and she looked at him in concern.

"What? What is it, Jarod?"

"What's in it?"

Helen smiled. "Water. H2O. That's it."

Emily glanced up with a laugh. "He doesn't believe you."

"No, I’ll bet." Helen took the glass out of Emily's hand and tasted it, handing it back and looking at him. "Do you think I would have done that if I'd slipped something into it to knock you out again?"

He shook his head slowly and sipped at the water as Emily held the glass to his lips. Jarod tried to take the tumbler from her but his hand seemed to be clumsy and cumbersome. He glanced at it, only to find that it was now covered in a white cast. The confusion in his eyes was clear as he turned to the two women.

"What...?"

"Don't you remember, Jarod?" Helen sat down on a chair opposite. "You ran into the path of my car and broke your wrist when I hit you."

Glancing at his sister, he raised the hand slightly. "And did you...?"

"No, Helen did. She taped your ribs as well."

He raised an eyebrow. "You told me you were involved in law."

Emily looked at him for a moment, her eyes wide, before rocking back on her heels and staring at her friend, finally breaking into peals of laughter that left her breathless. "You told him that? Oh, Helen, you liar!"

"Well, it's true. I am involved in law." Helen grinned. "Breaking it. That has to be considered as an involvement of sorts, doesn't it?" She glanced at Jarod, trying to hide a grin. "I didn't really answer your question before. I am involved in law, in an indirect sort of way. I'm a professional thief."

"You're a what?" Jarod seized the blanket that was warmly wrapped around his body and pulled it off, swinging his legs down from the sofa and staring at her.

"I got taught some sleight of hand tricks as a little girl but I always found it more fun to put them to other uses. As I grew up, I got much better. Now it's virtually my full-time job."

"And you're a doctor as well?"

"Hey, I have to have a legal profession too, right?"

"And what did you give me, exactly?"

"Something of my own creation. Fast acting sedative that wears off fairly quickly, a long-term pain relief as well as anti-inflammatory. Oh, and no nasty side-effects."

"So you're a chemist as well?"

She smiled but didn't comment.

"And why?"

"Several reasons." Helen relaxed back in her seat and watched Emily sit down next to her brother and taking his left hand in both of hers. "Firstly, I knew that break would need treatment and I was fairly certain, knowing of your stubborn and determined nature, that you wouldn't let me give you anything for the pain before I wrapped it up. Secondly, I got a good idea of who you were as soon as I saw them come out of the alleyway behind you. Everything you said only confirmed it. Maybe you missed the fact that I didn't ask you a single question except for your name during the car trip because I didn't need to. Once you told me that piece of information, I recalled all the other things I've ever heard about you - and by now I think I know just about everything there is to know - and, suspecting that you wouldn't have believed me if I said 'I know your sister', I really drugged you to ensure that you'd still be here when she arrived."

He narrowed his eyes. "That's horribly devious."

She grinned. "It worked though, didn't it?"

"So what were you doing in Blue Cove?"

"Visiting the Centre."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Even if she doesn't hold Jarod to ransom, she could always do the same thing to the information that she stole."

"Of what use would information about Jarod's family be to anybody except him or them?"

Sydney shrugged. "I have no idea. But we don't know what else she’s stolen. Without your father ever admitting to it, we probably won't find out either."

"Unless he does tell us." Miss Parker rolled her eyes. "But I'd be willing to bet that he won't."

Sydney changed the subject. "What do you think Lyle meant before by his cryptic little comment?"

"Which one?"

"'Seems like you're not the only one Dad's been keeping secrets from.'"

She stared at him. "I'd forgotten he even said that."

"So what do you think he meant?"

Miss Parker stood up. "Only one way to find out."

# # #


Outside Bryson, Delaware
Jarod watched as Helen carefully parked the car and then got out of it, picking up her things and walking over to where he and his sister waited in the doctor's car. As she got into the back seat beside him, Helen peeled off her gloves.

"What's that for?"

"I would expect the Centre to have contacted the rental company and found that the details I gave them were false. That means they'll want to get hold of the car and sweep it to find out who I am. I don't really want them to be able to track me by looking up police records to find my fingerprints. It makes it too easy."

"And who are you?"

"I told you, Jarod." She grinned. "A thief."

He stared in amazement as she pulled a cell phone out of her sleeve and held it up in front of his face. Grabbing it out of her hand, he replaced the device in the pocket of his jacket from whence she had stolen it minutes earlier and glared at her. From the front seat, as she started the engine, Emily laughed.

"Stop showing off, Helen."

"Oh, come on, Em. You enjoy it. Remember how we met?"

As the other woman laughed, Jarod looked over with an expression of curiosity in his eyes. "Well, are you going to tell me?"

"I don't know whether I should. It might shock you."

"I'm hard to shock."

"I'd imagine you're also pretty hard to drug or to steal from, but..."

"Just tell him, Helen. He'll like the story."

"Okay." The woman leaned back against the seat as the car pulled away from the curb. "Despite my bad habits, I was brought up as a good Catholic girl by nuns in a small school in Philadelphia. My parents both died when I was five. After that I lived at the convent until I turned sixteen, when I went away to college. I keep in contact with the some of the nuns and visit them when I'm in the area. I came up for a visit not long after you left to prevent Washington from going 'boom' and, as the nuns were concerned Emily didn't seem to be recovering well, they asked me to take a look at her."

Jarod opened his mouth to speak, but Helen continued quickly.

"Your sister was concerned about her dad, worried about you, and also anxious about Ethan, so I played a few little party tricks to amuse her. As a grand finale, I slipped the photo of your mother out of her pocket, flourished it, looked down at it and nearly passed out."

Jarod's eyes were wide. "Why?"

"In the second year after she and your father separated to keep Emily safe from the Centre, your mom came to Philadelphia to try and earn some money working as a teacher at the convent. She was a great teacher and I really loved her class, so much so that I used to stay around afterwards and talk to her. I was the oldest student there at that time and I didn't go out a lot, so it became a normal thing that I’d go home with her after class and we’d sit and have long discussions about all sorts of subjects."

"What did she teach?"

"Philosophy, of all the bizarre subjects to be taught at a place where religion is the central theme. Still, they wanted us to develop a balanced view of life so that was actually encouraged. Margaret and I discussed virtually everything - including the abduction of her sons and the lifestyle she was forced to lead. Then, one day, I got a note saying they were close and she had to leave. It was a disappointment but we stayed in contact for years." Helen smiled. "Once I knew who Em was, we started to talk. She told me about you and what had happened to the family since I'd last had any contact with your mother, and that was a few years earlier by then."

"And what happened later?" Jarod looked towards the front of the car where his sister had silently listened to the discussion. "I still don't know about that."

"I took Em to the meeting point that your dad suggested to the nuns and we found him there. We promised to keep in touch and we have. I've had a good idea of where they've been and that was what enabled me to call her while you were… uh, napping and tell her where you were."

Emily looked scornfully in the mirror. "You really told me, Helen. A cryptic call that didn't really tell me anything."

"Except that I had something else that you wanted." She laughed. "Come on, Em, if I had told you then you would have broken every road rule on the way here. You've already had one member of your family involved in a car accident today. I didn't want it to happen to two of you."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"They found the car."

Miss Parker looked up as Lyle stood in the doorway. "And?"

"Very interesting."

"Are you going to tell me, Lyle, or should I choke you here and now?"

Ignoring the question, he sauntered into her room and sat opposite her, placing his feet up on the desk and disregarding the heated glare he received. "It would appear that Sydney's assumption was correct. Under one of the seats was a bundle of files that appear to be the same as the ones stolen from Dad's office."

"They were still there?"

He nodded. "Judging by their condition our little thief got interrupted just as she was about to read through the material she'd purloined. Several the papers had fallen out and others were creased, but when I gave it back to Dad, he gave the impression that everything was there."

"And you believe him?"

Lyle stood. "I'm sure he'd have no reason to lie to me."

As he left the office, Miss Parker looked up at where Sydney was sitting in the corner. "Obviously I wasn't the only one who forgot he said that."

"So you didn't get a chance to ask him before he got the call about the car?"

She shook her head. "And I tried to see Daddy, but was told that he wasn't seeing anyone for the rest of the day." Her eyes narrowed. "Except, it would appear, my brother."

"If Lyle brought back the files, I would imagine your father would be willing to make an exception. That’s assuming Lyle gave Mr. Parker's secretary the chance to stop him from going in."

Miss Parker nodded slowly. "You may have a point there."

# # #


Pritt, Pennsylvania
Eyeing the two sleeping people in the back seat, Helen drove the car up the driveway, stopping in front of a large house. Her door was opened and she put a finger to her lips and then allowed the man to pull her into a hug.

"It's great to see you, Helen," he beamed.

"It'll be even greater to see my passengers." She turned with a grin, opening the back door of the car. The sound was enough to rouse Jarod who raised his head, tensing as he found himself in unknown surroundings.

"You still don't trust me, huh?"

He looked at Helen and grinned. "After all the things you've done to me today, I should?"

She laughed and gently shook his sister. "Hey, Em, we're here."

"Where's 'here'?"

"Home." The man came appeared behind Helen and Jarod stared up at him, his face wearing an expression of shock.

"Dad?"

As Emily scrambled out of the car to hug her father, Jarod released the seatbelt and got out also. He turned and stared at Helen. "What on earth...?"

"If you hadn't fallen asleep, I was going to tell you." She shrugged. "You did."

"I wasn't wrong when I called you devious, was I?"

She laughed and opened the front passenger door. "Probably not."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Sydney walked into the Tech Room to find Broots staring down at the information on the screen in front of him.

"What do you have?"

"Not a lot, that's the problem. In fact, I can't find anything at all. It's almost as if this woman never existed. The car, aside from the folders and a couple of scratches on the bonnet that have been repaired and which, I’ll have to assume, were caused by Jarod, was completely clean - no fibers, no fingerprints."

"In other words, this woman's a professional." Sydney tried to suppress the concern he still felt for his former protégée. "That makes it more difficult."

"I planned to hunt through the FBI's files and see if there was anyone there, but it'll be slow work."

"Why?"

"There's almost four hundred women called 'Helen' on their records - and we're assuming that it’s her real name. I've got to go through them one at a time and hope that there's something we can match with, like the photo."

Sydney gazed thoughtfully at the image of the woman on the screen for a minute before glancing back at the technician. "Before you do, find out if she's ever been inside the Centre before. There have been reports of things missing in the past. After all, she knew what she was doing, where she was going and what she wanted. She didn't even trip any of the sensors so she must have at least some knowledge of the place."

Broots nodded and turned back to the computer.

# # #


Pritt, Pennsylvania
"How's the hand, Jarod?"

"It's fine." He rested back in the chair. "But the ribs are starting to remind me that you hit them with your car a few hours ago." A small smile on his face, he rubbed the side of his chest ruefully.

"Why don't you go to bed?" Helen glanced at her watch. "I can't offer you my sofa now, but you’re welcome to sleep in the room I usually take and I'll sleep out here."

"I might just do that." Nodding, he got up, gently hugging his sister before walking to the door.

"Jarod."

"Yeah?" He looked back in time to catch, in his left hand, a box of tablets Helen tossed at him and held it up, an expression of curiosity on his face. "What's this?"

"Something to help with the pain - if you can trust me."

He grinned before following his father down the hall. Helen laughed and turned back to Emily. "Is he gullible or am I persuasive?"

"What did you give him?"

She smiled. "Well, let's just say that, if he takes them, he won't wake up until very late tomorrow morning."

"Helen!"

"What?" She tried to look innocent. "I'm only trying to help!"

Shaking her head, Emily changed the subject. "So what other useful pieces of knowledge did you 'liberate'?"

"I love how you call it that." Helen grinned. "Why not just say 'steal'?"

"Because my word makes it sound legal."

"And my word makes it sound fun and slightly dangerous." She reached into the black bag, taking out a manila folder and handing it to Emily. "These are the final bits of information in Mr. Parker’s files about your family. It's funny how close together it all was. He made it so easy for me."

"And what were the files you were stowing under the front seat of your car when I arrived?"

"Replacements."

"Oh, yes?" Emily raised an eyebrow as she sat back. "In what way?"

"Please, Em, we went through this last time you found me 'liberating' - in your words - things from the Centre about you all."

Emily reached over and hugged her friend. "Do you know how much I appreciate you doing that for us?"

"My pleasure." She smiled. "And it's nice to come up against an organization like the Centre that's actually challenging. Most other places are just a walkover to steal from these days.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"What did you find?"

"A lot, but there's a problem."

Sydney sat down beside the technician. "And that is?"

"Do you remember a few years ago when Brigitte was trying to kill Mr. Parker and the files related to that had a 'doorbell' on them?"

"These do too?"

"Every one. They were all applied within twenty-four hours of the footage being made. Because I haven't looked, I can't be sure it's her but it does coincide with the discovery, at some time within the next two days, of information - actual sheets of information - being taken. And it's always stuff that, for one reason or another, isn't on the mainframe."

"So what's going to happen when we open them?"

"We'll set off an alarm, alerting her to the fact that we know about them, and also might scramble the information that's inside. The DSA footage might also be damaged."

"Do it anyway, Broots. We don't have a choice."

# # #


Pritt, Pennsylvania
Helen opened her computer and then glanced up as her mobile phone started beeping insistently. Activating the message, she read the words that it contained with a small smile. Picking up one of the sheets that had been taken earlier that day, she visually scanned the list and finally, when she was prompted, typed in a word. At once the screen opened and, with only a few more keystrokes, Helen could see the two people in the Tech Room.

"Ah, ah, ah. You naughty little boys, trying to find out information about me." She shook her head and laughingly waved a finger in the direction of the screen. "We can't have that."

Leaning over the keyboard, she began to type, laughing as Broots leaned back in shock when the screen in front of him filled with jargon that she knew had no meaning. It would take them several hours to find that out, though, and by the time they had, she would be there. Helen got up and put on her jacket before picking up a black case.

Opening it, she pulled out a top layer that was filled with vials of all sorts and then looked down to the space beneath. With gentle hands, she picked up a shining silver revolver and softly loaded it, slipping it into a holster that she then did up around her waist. Replacing the top layer, she closed the case and locked it before taking it and the computer and then going to the door.

"Leaving already, Helen?"

With a smile, she turned. "I'm afraid so, Charles. I've got things that need doing."

"Wouldn't have anything to do with the Centre, I suppose?"

"Doesn't it always?" She laughed, rolling her eyes. "But I'll give you a call to let you know how it's going. And you can always call me too, you know."

"Okay." He smiled. "Stay safe."

"You, too."

Opening the door, she walked out into the cool night air and softly closed it behind her. Climbing into the car, she placed the case on the floor of passenger seat, and left the computer on the seat so that she could see and hear what was going on. Starting up the vehicle, she drove it down the street, heading for Delaware.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"So what does it mean?"

"No idea." Broots looked up at Sydney. "It looks like it's in various codes and, until we break all of them, we won't know. And that could take hours."

"Will the same thing happen when we open another one?"

"It's possible." He leaned forward. "But that actually opened after I'd opened the file, quite a while after – a few seconds. I don't know whether it was associated with it or just some random thing."

"Random?" Sydney looked skeptical. "How much of this has been random?"

Broots nodded slowly and then, as he was just about to open the second file, glanced at Sydney. "Where's Miss Parker?"

"She and Lyle are in a meeting with their father. She said she'd go home straight after but that we should tell her tomorrow what we find."

He nodded and activated the second file. For a moment, Broots held his breath as he waited for a stream of nonsense to appear on the screen, but an image of a woman, dressed in black, was all that appeared before them.

"Where was that?" the psychiatrist queried.

"Raines' office, four months ago. He came in, the next morning, to find that a number of his DSAs were missing and he put in a report to the Triumvirate."

"So she really does know what she's doing."

Sydney watched the woman go over to a spot on the wall that several seconds later slid back to reveal a hidden space. The woman reached in and, as she had done in Mr. Parker's office, made a swap of papers in her bag for those in the hole. Then she went over to the filing cabinet and slipped several of the folders out.

"Do we know what was on the DSAs?"

"Apparently it was some of the earlier SIMs that Kyle performed." Broots took up a list that he had printed out and ran an eye down the items it contained. "Look at this, Syd. Everything that's been reported as missing always had to do with Jarod or another member of his family."

"So are we looking at a member of his family who's doing it?"

"I don't think so. The woman's too young to be his mother and it doesn't look like the photos of his sister that I could find."

"All right." Sydney sighed wearily. "Let's keep looking."

# # #


Blue Cove, Delaware
Helen sat in the driver’s seat of her car before the house, the blackness of the vehicle melting into the shadows. Turning, she pressed the unbreakable glass that separated the front and rear seat, making sure that it was properly in position. She nodded and looked down at the computer in time to see the men close the door behind them as the lights were switched off. Glancing at her watch, Helen estimated that she had about ten minutes before they would arrive, Sydney bringing Broots home so he wouldn't have to ride in the dark.

Lifting the black case onto her lap and opening it she took out a small canister and, going around to the rear of the car, opened the door. With care, she fixed it to the small air vent underneath the back seat, ensuring that the hook for puncturing it was firmly in position. Standing up she looked at the car in satisfaction. She didn't use it often, but on a number of other occasions it had been helpful, and it certainly would be now. The motionless girl already lay in one corner of the rear seat, well wrapped in the blankets that had been on her bed. Her face was flushed with sleep and she hadn't moved as Helen had placed the drug-soaked cloth gently over her mouth and nose to ensure that she wouldn't wake as she was taken downstairs and put into the vehicle.

Slipping cautiously up the drive, Helen drew the gun before covering it with the long sleeve of the black top she was once more wearing. As she withdrew into the shadows, she saw a car turn into the street and pull up in the driveway. Both Sydney and Broots got out and she stepped forward, revealing the gun in her hand.

"Freeze, gentlemen."

They both turned sharply to look at her and she waved the gun slightly to indicate to Sydney that she wanted him to step away from the driver's door, which he did.

"How nice to see you both. I'll have your keys, thank you Sydney."

"Who are you?"

"A thief." She grinned. "But you already knew that." Reaching over, she seized the keys from his hand and slid them into her pocket. "We're going to my car. It's just there." She nodded towards the vehicle that was barely visible.

"What do you want?"

"Oh, it's not so much what I want as what I don't want." She stepped down towards the street and Sydney did the same, his eyes fixed on the gleaming metal. "You see, when people try to find out about me, I get a little nervous and then I try to stop them."

As the three neared the car, she opened the back door, motioning them to get inside it. They both hesitated.

"We're about to be kidnapped?"

"No, Sydney, you are in the process of being kidnapped."

Broots glanced into the car, but the depth of the shadows made its interior as dark as the outside and he could see nothing. Helen took a small flashlight out of her pocket, shining it into the back seat.

"You see? Nothing there except your daughter and she's asleep. There's no reason for you to be nervous." She waved the gun again. "In you get. Now."

Broots gasped and climbed in, taking the limp body of his daughter in his arms and shaking her to try and rouse her.

"Debbie? Debbie, wake up, baby."

He gently patted her face but the girl never moved, eyelashes still on her flushed cheeks and her breath coming softly and evenly through parted lips. Turning, he glared at the woman. "What did you...?"

"She's all right. It's just something to make sure she wouldn't wake up. After all, I wouldn't want her to be left her here without anybody to look after her. She'll be better with you."

"Most kidnappers wouldn't be so considerate," the older man stated quietly.

"I'm a considerate person, Sydney. Get in, please."

He glanced at her and obeyed. She shut the door of the car and walked over to the vehicle in the driveway, shutting the doors and ensuring that it was secure.

Sliding into the driver's seat of her car, she activated the speaker so that she could hear anything said by the people in the back and then started the engine.

"Is Debbie...?"

"Mr. Broots, your daughter will be fine. As I told you, I exposed her to a mild sedative so that she wouldn't wake as I carried her down to the car."

"Your size belies your strength."

"Thank you, Sydney. In my profession, I find strength is a useful attribute."

"Kidnapping?"

"Not always. I'm more of a thief. I only kidnap when I find it necessary."

"So what are you planning to do with us?"

"Oh, nothing very serious. A few days at my house until I'm sure that the Centre will no longer be interested in me and then you can go home."

"Who are you?"

"My name's Helen - but you already knew that."

"And were you the one...?"

"Please, Sydney, I'm not going to tell you everything. At least, not now. Mr. Broots, your daughter should be waking up very shortly."

Even as Helen glanced in the rearview mirror, the girl moved in Broots' arms, and he stroked her hair, shifting her so she lay between him and the car door, her head on his shoulder.

"Debbie?"

She yawned and snuggled against him, turning her face in towards his neck, but without opening her eyes. "Daddy?"

"Yes, baby. It's okay." He felt her relax before looking up at the driver. "Is she...?

"Asleep, yes. But I would suggest it's natural, for the moment anyway."

Sydney looked sharply at the driver as the car turned a corner. "What do you mean by that?"

"You think I'm going to let you see where I'm taking you? No, Sydney. I might be considerate but I'm also a professional."

Reaching over, she pressed a button and saw a small light turn on indicating that the canister, full of highly pressurized gas, had been punctured. A small dial next to the button showed the relative amounts of air and gas that were in the rear of the car. She kept an eye on the level as she drove the car towards the outskirts of Blue Cove.

At the same time, she watched the men in the back seat. Broots rested Debbie's body against the door, one of his arms around her shoulder and the other hand stroking the girl's hair and the side of her face as she slept. Sydney, Helen saw, was looking around the back seat of the car and, as she watched him try to open one of the windows, the woman spoke.

"I'm afraid that’s not going to get you far. The doors can only be opened from the outside and the windows aren't moveable except by me. With the tinted glass, nobody is able to see you either."

"A very complete set-up."

"Quite."

Helen glanced at the dial to see that the levels had passed the point where the gas should have begun to have an effect. She pulled the car over to the side of the road and turned in her seat to see the technician look up at her, blinking drowsily, before he yawned widely and convulsively clutched Debbie tighter. His eyelids closed once, then again, but he forced them up, yawning again as his eyes closed for a third time, and she could see that the drug was taking over as he slumped against the seat. Broots' head drooped, his eyes closed, and finally sank down to rest on that of the unconscious girl in his limp arms. As his head came into contact with that of his daughter, the man surrendered to the drug, lapsing into unconsciousness without a sound.

Sydney, visibly fighting the sedative drug, looked up at her, his voice weak and unsteady.

"I suppose this… is your doing."

"Your assumption is right, Sydney. Just relax and breathe normally. You'll either be unconscious from the gas or else pass out due to lack of oxygen if you try to hold your breath. My way is a lot better for your health."

The man struggled against the urge to yawn, knowing it would only make him absorb more of the medication, and kept himself tense, trying to stay awake. As she watched him, Helen spoke in amused tones.

"Sydney, stop fighting. You can't beat it. It's too strong. It won't do you any harm, but if you don't give in soon, I'll have to give you something else. I'm not letting you see where we're going."

"And… Jarod...?"

"I was wondering when we'd get to him. Yes, he fought against what I gave him, just like you are. It was equally useless."

"Who… are you...?" The man’s words were almost inaudible and his head swayed back and forth as he tried to resist the gas’s soporific effects.

"I'm a thief, Sydney, as I told you before. But don't worry about Jarod. He's quite safe, and so are you, although you may not feel it."

She watched as, despite knowing it was futile, he continued to resist. Shaking his head to try and clear it, Sydney leaned forward, restricted by the seatbelt that he had done up earlier, and tried to compel his eyes to remain open. Reaching out an unsteady hand, he clumsily shook Broots, but the man was heavily sedated and never moved. Looking toward the front of the car, his gaze met that of the woman who silently watched him, and she could see the effort it took for him to focus on her. An expression of sympathy came into her eyes.

"This would be a lot more pleasant for you if you'd give in. Just let yourself imagine this, Sydney." Her voice lowered to a soft, soothing, barely audible murmur. "Peaceful, deep sleep, against the soft seat in this warm car as we travel through the dark, starry night. Don't even try to stay awake, Sydney. It won't do any good at all. Just give up and slide down into that wonderful, soothing blackness I'm providing you with tonight."

Struggling to make his body obey orders that his brain was almost too sedated to send, he leaned forward again, struggling against both the narcotic and the softly spoken words that provided him with such a tempting image.

Finally, with his eyes burning and his head beginning to throb from a lack of air, Sydney permitted himself the luxury of sinking back against the soft car seat, unable to suppress a sigh of relief as he did so. Once and then a second time, his head rolled forward, but both times he brought it upright, defiantly fixing his almost unseeing eyes on the woman watching him.

Overcompensating the second time, however, his head dropped against the back of the seat and his eyes were closed before he could prevent it. Although his eyelids fluttered, the last of his strength was fading away, soothed by the drug that was quickly taking over his body and mind. A few long seconds passed before he finally yielded to the effect of the tranquillizer, unconscious as his head rolled off the headrest and fell against the seat belt, the rest of his body slumping in the same direction. Suppressing her laughter, but feeling, at the same time, a desire to applaud his efforts, Helen turned to the front of the car and restarted the engine.
Part 2 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 2



Ashe, New York
Helen got out of the car and opened the large doors at the back of the house that led down to the cellar before easing open the rear car door. Knowing that the door had been holding up the girl's body, the woman stretched out both her arms to catch Debbie as she began to slip to the ground. Helen supported her with one arm and placed Broots' limp arms, outstretched in the position they had fallen after the girl had been removed from his unconscious grasp, back on the car seat. She shut the car door, before carrying Debbie down into the dark room. Enough light shone in through the open doors to show a large sofa, on which she placed the deeply sleeping figure before going over to the light switch and flicking it on, a light in the ceiling illuminating the spacious living area. Looking around the room, she nodded in satisfaction.

"Okay, Debbie. Let's put you into your room and then I'll go and get your Dad."

Helen opened one of the doors that led out of the living area into a bedroom and gently picked up Debbie in her arms, carrying her into the room and putting her on the bed. With a gentle hand, the woman rearranged the blankets in which Debbie had been wrapped to ensure that she was warmly covered. Walking back up the stairs to the car, Helen opened the black case and pulled out a rag, soaking it in fluid. Opening the back door of the car, she held the cloth under the technician's nose, watching as his eyes opened, gazing wildly around for a moment before focusing on her face.

"What the...?"

"Good evening, Mr. Broots. Nice of you to join me."

"What are you - where's my daughter?"

"I just put her into her temporary bed. Can I help you to yours before that sedative begins to affect you again?"

Helen held out a hand, watching as he cautiously took it, slowly getting out of the car. She helped him into the living room seeing that, as she had said and knew it would, the tranquillizer was once more beginning to make itself felt. Broots swayed weakly on his feet, and she put her arm around his waist.

"Careful there. I'm not sure I'm strong enough to carry you all the way. It's just a couple more steps from here."

The man leaned heavily on her, his eyes almost closed, feeling unable to move by himself, as his mind began to fog, staggering the last few paces into a room and virtually falling onto the bed, unconscious immediately. Helen laughed and pulled a blanket over him, closing the door as she left.

Going back up the stairs, she soaked the cloth again and opened the other door, rousing Sydney in the same manner.

"Is Jarod here?"

"No, he's not." She helped him out of the car. "The only people here are the four of us, and that's the way I intend it to remain for the moment."

"And why?"

"Like I said, you were finding out too much information about me. I get a bit edgy when people do that." She smiled, assisting him into the third bedroom and helping him to sit on the bed. "But it’s nothing for you to worry about. You're quite safe. You can ask me anything you want when you all wake up in the morning. Of course," she laughed, "being below ground, you won't know when it is morning, but that's something both you and Broots should both be used to by now."

There was amusement in her eyes as Sydney struggled against the exhaustion that he could feel returning, his half-closed eyes fixed on her. With an effort, he put an arm out to stop himself from falling sideways, but Helen gently pressed his elbow, buckling it and seeing as, too exhausted to fight any longer, he slipped down onto the pillow, his eyes closed. She laughed, raising his legs up onto the mattress, and then pulled a blanket over the deeply sleeping man. Helen ensured that the door leading into the house was secure before ascending the other stairs to where the vehicle stood, firmly fastening the large wooden doors behind her before locking her car and walking into the house.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Syd?"

Miss Parker tried to push the door open but it wouldn't yield to her touch. Turning on her heel, she got the lift up to the Tech Room on SL-5 was situated but Broots' usual workstation was also bare and his computer was off. Pulling out her phone, she called the reception desk, to find that neither had signed in so far that morning, but had left together the night before. Curious, she next called Debbie's school, to find that the girl hadn't turned up so far that day. As she’d started to consider other possibilities, she heard a step and turned as Lyle approached.
What did Broots find last night?"

"I wouldn't know." She shrugged. "He hasn't come in this morning."

"He what?" Lyle stared at her. "Is that a joke?"

"No, and Sydney isn't here either." She looked at him. "Did you talk to Daddy?"

"He didn't tell me any more than he did yesterday."

Miss Parker nodded, dissatisfied, and then began to walk down the hall. Her brother hurried after her.

"Where are you going?"

"My office. If there's something wrong, I'd expect them to have told me about it."

She entered the room, Lyle following, and noted that an email was already waiting for her. Hands covering the keys, she typed in the password and then opened it.

"Well?"

"'The psychiatrist and the technician as well as his daughter are safe. They'll be returned when I think the time is right.’"

Lyle shrugged. "There's your answer."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen heard the muffled talking as she silently unlocked the door, opening it and looking down at the two men who sat on the sofa below her.

"Good morning, gentlemen. I hope you slept well."

They both looked up, watching as she came down the stairs, with the gun held in one hand and a large basket in the other. Broots nodded at the weapon, a look of resentment on his face.

"Is that necessary?"

"It depends." She shrugged carelessly. "I don't like having to wave it around, particularly with your daughter being here, but unless you promise me not to try and escape, then yes, it is."

The older man looked up, speaking quietly. "Considering we don't know where we are, it wouldn't be a lot of use trying that, would it?"

"That's a very naïve statement, Sydney." Helen put the basket down on the floor and leaned back against the stairs. "Jarod had no idea of where he was when he got out of the Centre – he had no idea of the world he was escaping into, if you come to that – and he managed fine."

Sydney nodded slowly, glancing around. "Interesting, perhaps, then, that we woke this morning to find ourselves in comfortable rooms with no windows and a door that only locks on the outside."

"Yes," Helen responded coolly. "It was rather, wasn't it?"

Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a cell phone and held it up briefly before replacing it.

"I thought I should mention that I had it before you started thinking you'd lost it, Sydney. I relieved you of it while helping you in here earlier this morning."

"So you pickpocket as well as kidnap?"

"As well as steal Centre files and DSAs before you ask, yes. Anything that suits my purpose."

"And that is?"

Helen glanced at the technician. "Twofold. To protect myself and also, as it’s needed, to help my friends."

"And does that include Jarod?"

"Perhaps. Although, considering I ran him over, it seems a strange sort of help."

Sydney looked up at her. "I seem to recall last night you saying he fought, too. Did you sedate him somehow as well?"

"Would you rather I set a broken wrist and tape broken ribs while he was conscious? I think you’d have been able to hear his screams in Blue Cove if I had. No, he had a nice little sleep, and then I drove him home." She consulted her watch. "He's probably just waking up now." Looking down at the gun in her hand, Helen glanced at the two men. "I'll put this away before Debbie comes out, if you'll promise me that you won't try to either escape or overpower me. If you tried, I would win but it wouldn't be pleasant for any of us."

Sydney met Broots' eye and nodded slowly. "That won't happen."

"Good." She slipped the weapon into the holster. "So we can be civil and I'll leave the three of you to enjoy your breakfast."

Going back up the stairs, she walked through the door and locked it behind her.

# # #


Pritt, Pennsylvania
Jarod stretched and opened his eyes, staring blankly around the room for a few seconds before memory reasserted itself and he sat up.

"Good morning, big brother. How did you sleep?"

He grinned, instantly understanding. "Okay, what did she give me?"

"It depends on whether you took the things she gave you or not." Emily smiled as she came over and sat down on the edge of the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Better than the last time I opened my eyes to see you after being the victim of one of her drugs." He gently stroked her cheek. "How are you?"

"A lot better than I was when you left the convent. In fact, I didn't have any problems as a result of that at all."

"Good." Jarod wrapped both arms around his sister and hugged her. "I'm so glad to see you, Em."

She hugged him back. "So have you forgiven Helen for what she did to you?"

"How could I stay angry with someone who got me back in touch with my family? And she's your friend, too, which gives me another reason."

"Good." Emily got up off the bed. "The bathroom's down the hall."

"Dad showed me last night."

"Breakfast in half an hour."

"Great."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Sydney, I'd like a word."

She held open the door as he walked past her, locking it behind him. Sydney sat down opposite her, looking warily at the mug she placed before him, and she laughed.

"Obviously you imbued Jarod with your own personal brand of suspicion. This is coffee, Sydney. Pure coffee only." She poured some into her mug, drinking before the psychiatrist moved to serve himself.

"What is it?"

"I'm interested to know how you're explaining this whole situation to Debbie."

"Her father told her that he was in danger, to do with work, and was brought here to be safe." He eyed her. "I don't know how much of that is the truth."

"More than I thought when I brought you here." She sighed and pushed a sheet of paper over the table to him. "Read that."

He glanced over the sheet before looking up at her. "Where did you get this?"

"Mr. Parker's secret hiding place. I'm sure you've watched footage of me in there, from the hour before I hit Jarod, so you know what I'm talking about."

He nodded slowly. "So it's Mr. Parker and Mr. Cox?"

"Correct." She looked up. "Do you have any idea where Raines is now?"

"No. He disappeared after being at Miss Parker's…"

"I know."

Sydney looked at her closely. "You seem to know an awful lot."

"I do know an awful lot. It's not difficult."

"So what's going to happen?"

"Isn't that a rather obvious question considering what you just read? Mr. Parker is feeling that Lyle knows too much and, son or not, will have him eliminated."

"And… Miss Parker?"

"I don't know." Helen stared thoughtfully into her mug. "I'm not sure what the best course of action there is. I mean, if I rocked up to her house and said 'I'm here to save you. Jump in,' I don't think she would, do you?"

"No," Sydney shook his head, his lips twitching at the thought of the very casual scene, "I don't think so either."

Helen sat back in her chair. "I suspect that Raines is, at least temporarily, under the Triumvirate’s protection. And I really mean genuine protection, not what terms like that have meant in the past."

"On what are you basing this idea?"

"I found a bit of information about a few secret projects that he's been running, and which nobody else knows about. I'm sure the Triumvirate wouldn't run the risk of losing those."

"So the Triumvirate will be facing off..."

"No." Helen shook her head definitively. "Lyle will die, and then life will go on. He's not important enough for the Triumvirate to see it as a threat to their security. Not yet anyway."

As Helen was about to speak again, the phone on the table beside her rang and she leaned over, turning on the speaker.

"Hello?"

"Helen, do you know how hard you are to find?"

"That's always my intention, Em. What's up?"

"I've got a somewhat concerned big brother here, who's trying to find out why Sydney and Broots didn't turn up to work this morning. I think he's a bit worried, in case they've been hauled in by the Triumvirate."

Helen grinned. "When you say 'here', what do you mean exactly?"

"'Here' as in 'here', right 'here', next to the phone 'here'," a male voice replied in very terse tones. "Helen, do you know anything?"

She laughed and then glanced at the man opposite, raising an eyebrow. "Well, be polite, Sydney. Say hello."

"You mean… he's there?" the Pretender demanded.

"Good morning, Jarod. Are you alright?"

"Sydney?" There was a note of disbelief in his tones. "Helen, how on earth...?"

"Hey, if I can actually lure you to my house, then it shouldn't be too hard for me to kidnap Sydney, Broots and his daughter and bring them here, should it now?" She could hear Emily's laughter as she finished her rhetorical question and, seeing the light of amusement in Sydney's eye, although he fought very hard to suppress it, Helen grinned.

"What are they doing there?"

"They started to investigate my background, and Em will tell you that I'm not a big fan of that, so I decided that it was best to bring them here before they could tell anyone what they found." Helen laughed. "Let me return Sydney to the comforts of his room and then I'll tell you some more."

# # #


Pritt, Pennsylvania
Jarod turned off the speaker, grinning at his sister. "Want to come along?"

"You certainly aren't going there on your own!" Emily glared at him. "Of course I'm coming. She's my friend, not yours!"

"Sibling rivalry, huh?" He laughed and stood up, walking over to pick up the bags that still waited near the door and watching as she went into her own room. It was barely a few minutes later that she reappeared with similar items in her hand, and Jarod turned to the man who now stood next to him.

"You don't mind, do you Dad?"

"Of course not." Major Charles smiled. "I'd probably do the same. Just keep me informed of how things are going, okay? And, when you're done, son, you know you can come home."

Jarod hugged him. "I know, dad. And we will, I promise."

"I'll be looking forward to it." Major Charles hugged his daughter and watched as they got into the car that was parked outside the house, waving before he went back inside the house.

As the car reached the speed limit, Jarod looked at his sister. "Do you know exactly where we're going or do you have to call again to get an address?"

"New York State. She has a house there with the perfect set-up for a few 'guests' and that's probably where they're sleeping."

"Oh, really?" Jarod raised an eyebrow. "In what way?"

"Hmm," Emily thought for a moment. "Underground, comfortable, several rooms including a bathroom with running water, books, a television, radio." She grinned at him. "Now that I think about it..."

"You thought about it before then or you wouldn't have described it in so much detail." He laughed. "But I can already see where you're going so please stop."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen made the second bed and then looked around. She hadn't guessed that they would come, but it would be a lot easier if they did. Reaching into her pocket, she took out the piece of paper, rereading it as she went down into the kitchen. After switching on the large urn in the corner, she put the page down on the table and then walked over to the cellar door, opening it.

"Debbie, can you spare your Dad for a moment?"

The girl looked up from the chess game that she and Sydney were planning and nodded. Broots rose and walked up the stairs, glaring at Helen as she locked the door and then led the way into the kitchen.

"Considering that I've probably saved your life, Mr. Broots, you could at least try to be grateful."

"What exactly did you do to my daughter before you took her?" he growled, ignoring her.

As he sat down, she picked up the black case and opened it, pulling out a plastic bottle and giving it to him. "You won't recognize it, because it's something that I made myself, but it's a very gentle sedative, only really useful when a person is already asleep to deepen it. I exposed Debbie to this so that she wouldn't wake up in a panic as I carried her down to the car. She didn't."

"Any side-effects?" he queried, half-soothed by the description.

"None. That's the benefit of most of the things I create - they have no long-term signs. So please, Mr. Broots, try and trust me. I nabbed you and Sydney because you were trying to find out things about me and, as I said, I don't like that. I brought your daughter along because I was worried the Centre may have tried to use her as an 'incentive' to find you. Where would you rather Debbie be - safe here with you or in one of the Centre's cells?"

He nodded slowly as she got up to fill both his mug and her own and then looked at her. "Did you want something specific or just to try and make me trust you?"

She grinned. "Do you?"

"Well, usually I wouldn't trust somebody who abducted me..."

"Even if I told you that, by doing so, I probably inadvertently saved your life?"

He leaned back in his seat. "What do you mean?"

She pushed the piece of paper across the table and watched him read it, his eyes widening.

"So Lyle...?"

"I don't think you'll have to be scared of him again. If the poison doesn't kill him, although I think it will, he'll certainly be left with nasty, long-term side-effects."

Broots looked up. "Are you a chemist?"

"Amateur, yes. I've always been interested in that and, although I'm a doctor, I also like spending time in my lab working on new formulae. It's more of a hobby than a profession." She leaned back in her chair, light from the window making her hair glow. "Interestingly, the poison that will remove Lyle from the picture is, with superb irony, his own composition. Lyle concocted it under Raines' direction when he was younger."

"That's twisted."

Helen laughed, standing up and watching as Broots did the same. "I believe that could fairly be said of everything at the Centre, don't you?"

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Angelo crawled along the vent until he came to an office and watched as a black-haired man, his blue eyes gleaming, entered and, after deliberately locking the door after him, walked over to the desk. Slipping on gloves and taking a bottle out of his pocket, the man sprayed the surface of the desk and the keyboard. He then took out another bottle and squeezed several drops of liquid into the mug that sat on the desk, pulling out a cotton swab and spreading the liquid around, ensuring that the rim was coated. A tiny smile on his face, he put the swab into a plastic bag and sealed it, returning it to his pocket before going over to unlock the door. Turning once, he nodded, and then put his hand on the lock, sliding a thin piece of metal out of his sleeve and fiddling with the catch. Satisfied, he allowed the door to almost close, and Angelo could hear his footsteps walking away down the corridor.

# # #


Ashe, New York
"For some reason, this situation seems strangely ironic."

Sydney looked up at the sound of the familiar voice to see Jarod standing at the top of the stairs. "I suppose that it might appear that way."

"You don't see it?"

"I didn't say that."

"You just don't want to admit it." Jarod laughed. "Should we try a simulation to see who gets the better results?"

"I think that would be rather pointless, don't you?"

Sydney's voice dripped with ice and Jarod turned to Helen, struggling to hide a laugh. “He doesn't seem all that pleased to see me."

"He was probably actually happier to see my car hit you than he is now, although it means you're still alive and relatively uninjured. Funny what putting someone in an underground room will do."

Jarod raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure they won't get bored? After all, even I got provided with... things to do."

"Now why would they do that? They have TV and radio, and I feed them on a fairly regular basis, or else when I remember. What more do they need?" She laughed, pulling him back, before locking the door.

"You're horrible, you know that don't you?"

"Me?" Helen looked hurt. "You were the person teasing him!"

"But I wasn't the person who locked them up."

"Yes, that's true." She sat down at the kitchen table. "That might make somewhat of a difference, I suppose." Picking up her mug, she got up and went over to the sink. "Actually, I just think being down there is what's getting to him. He was a lot better up here."

"Well, now he understands..." Jarod looked up at her sharply. "That was why you did it, wasn't it?"

She grinned but didn't comment. Emily laughed. "Helen, I think one of the things that annoys my brother most is when people don't answer his questions."

"Then he'll have to get used to it, won't he?" She smiled. "Because it's a thing I'm very good at."

Jarod sent a mock-glare across the table. "I'll change the subject and come back to that one later when you might be willing to tell me. Em told me that the reason you were in Blue Cove in time to hit me was because you were 'liberating' a few files about us. Why?"

Helen smiled. "Because I enjoy it."

He raised an eyebrow. "For some strange reason, I don't believe that."

She laughed and glanced at his sister. "Em, you didn't tell me he was skeptical among everything else."

"Would that have changed anything?"

"Oh, yes." She smiled. "If I knew from the start that he wasn't going to believe me, I wouldn’t have bothered with the whole sedative thing. I’d have told him I knew you and watched him disappear over the horizon."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Miss Parker walked into her office and let the door shut behind her, going over to her desk. Sitting down in the chair, she picked up the piece of paper that lay beside her right hand and stared at it. Her father had refused to say anymore about the robbery, telling her that, as everything had been returned, there was nothing else she needed to know. Before going to speak with him, she’d gone through Broots' things and found the sheet - a list of reports that detailed missing items and all of which had to do with Jarod or his family. She activated the computer in front of her and started to try and find any connection between the reports.

# # #


Ashe, New York
"I really do enjoy it, Jarod. I like a challenge."

"But I don't believe that it's either the only or the major reason that you do it. Why the Centre?"

Helen tried to keep her face expressionless. "Why not?"

"Please, Helen..."

"Ooh, begging." She crossed her arms and leaned against the sink, not bothering to hide the grin on her face. "I like this."

"I could always ask Sydney."

"He wouldn't be able to tell you. They didn't get far enough to be able to provide an answer to that question."

"So will you?"

"Hmm, maybe."

"Today or some time next year?"

"I was thinking some time next century myself." She grinned at him. "Actually, Sydney might have some more information that might be useful."

"Like what?"

"Why not wait until I ask him and then you'll know at the same time?"

"I don't like waiting," he muttered.

"Gee, there's a shock." She grinned and went over to the cellar door, opening it and looking down into the room below. "Sydney, do you have a moment in your busy schedule?"

"For you, Helen?" The man's tones were full of sarcasm as he ascended the stairs, entering the kitchen. "Always."

Jarod tried to sound offended. "How come I never got a response like that?"

"You never locked me a cellar." Sydney sat down opposite Jarod and hid a smile as he looked at his former protégée. "It makes a difference."

"Apparently." Helen glanced at Jarod. "I don't suppose you've got your DSA player with you?"

As Jarod got up to retrieve the case, Helen looked at Sydney with a smile. Once the player lay on the table in front of her, she reached into her pants pocket and took out a flat case. Extracting one of the discs from it, she put it into the machine and then turned the screen around so that Sydney could see the image that appeared.

"What is it?" he demanded.

"The things you were looking for." She grinned at the older man. "In return for all the information I want from you, I thought it might be nice if I gave something back in return. As you said yesterday outside Broots' house, I'm a considerate person."

"So this is...?"

"My 'break-ins'. I copied them onto one disk for ease. All sixty-nine." Sitting back in her chair, she watched the jaws of the two men droop and glanced at Emily with a sly grin. "Was that too much information too soon?"

"Hmm, could be," her friend agreed with a laugh.

"S… sixty-nine?"

"Oh, how could I forget? It's seventy now, of course." Helen heaved a rueful sigh before grinning again. "I must be getting old."

"Well, of course you are," Sydney responded in mock-acid tones. "That explains how you manage to crawl around inside the Centre's air vents with ease on so many occasions." He hesitated for a moment. "That list Broots put together only had about thirty items on it, so why did you have to go there so often?"

She laughed. "I had to see what I was going to replace, didn't I?" Helen looked up at Jarod. "What was Sydney's reaction to Gemini?"

"Why don't you ask...?"

"Because you'll tell me and Sydney, since he still doesn't really trust who I'm actually working for, won't.”

"He helped me get him out."

Helen raised an eyebrow. "Loyalty to the Centre's obviously as strong in you as your faith in me, Sydney."

"Actually, I'm beginning to have more trust in you than in them, Helen."

"I'm glad to hear it." She closed the machine and pushed it over to him. "You can take that back down with you when you go and watch me in action if you like."

"Will you tell me a few things first?"

"Sure. Then you can tell me a thing or two as well."

"Fair deal." Sydney sat back. "First, why did we get snatched?"

Helen rolled her eyes. "I thought I'd answered that one. It was because you were finding out too much about me."

"And what, exactly, could that have been? We couldn't even seen your face on the security tape, and now we get an even better chance to see it than we could have on the DSAs."

"That's very true." Helen grinned. "But, if the two of you had hunted much further, you would have found quite a lot of files about me. You see," she leaned back in her chair. "My vendetta against the Centre goes back a long way, and I made the mistake once of leaving a half-print around the place. A certain person was given it and…"

"SIM 3832? The intruder?" Jarod raised an eyebrow. "That was you?"

"Sure was. I kicked myself for three weeks about it, particularly as I had no doubt you would take no time at all to figure it out. And I was right. The mainframe's got a complete profile, and several parts, although I hate to admit it, are very eerily like me. You did well."

"Thanks, I think."

"Oh, come on, Jarod." She folded her arms and grinned. "Considering the complimentary things I just said about your work, you could be happier."

"Well, let's just say I didn't expect to ever be confronted with the subject of a SIM, much less have her collect me with the front of her car."

"I bet." She rolled her eyes. "But you missed out on a big part of my personality, for all your skills. The part where I play around with chemicals."

"That's because most thieves don't."

"And since when do you generalize?"

"Oh, all the time!" He rolled his eyes, grinning.

"So, if the Centre already knows so much about you," Sydney glanced over as he spoke, " I don't understand your problem with us reopening the results of that simulation, and anything else we could find."

"That was the problem, Sydney. I didn't really want it reopened." She smiled. "Not from fear of you two - I have no problem at all with any of you knowing everything about me, so ask away - but because it’d bring memories of me to the Triumvirate, and I'd much rather they weren't reminded, not right now anyway." Her smiled widened as she watched the psychiatrist consider this. "I suppose, having said so much, we can stop the 'prisoner' things now. The only problem is that there are just three bedrooms up here and they're all being used, so you'll all have to sleep down there, but you can eat up here like civilized people and not Centre captives."

"Your generosity is overwhelming."

She grinned at Jarod as he spoke. "I know, I know."

"Can I ask another question?" the psychiatrist queried.

"Fire away."

"What was it that we were given in the car?" Sydney glanced at the pretender out of the corner of his eye. "And how did you convince Jarod to take a drug?"

"Convince him?" Helen raised an eyebrow. "Who said anything about me having to convince him? No, Sydney, I slipped the sedative into his drink. As I'd been so nice and welcoming to him, and particularly as nobody seems to have given him the old 'don't talk to strangers who have just robbed the Centre and collected you with the front of their car, thus breaking your wrist and a few ribs' speech, when he was a child," she paused to laugh at the smile Sydney was fighting to keep from his face, "Jarod unwittingly drank enough to send him off to dreamland, while I treated the aforementioned broken wrist and taped his broken ribs." Helen turned to Jarod. "And for all of which I've never yet received a 'thank you', I might add."

"And you're not getting one, either." Jarod grinned. "Not considering how nasty to me you were as I gradually slumped unconscious on your sofa."

"Nasty?" Helen looked indignant. "I bring you back to my nice house, make you a lovely cool drink that has a teeny, tiny little sedative in it, thus sending you into a beautiful sleep so that you don't feel me treating you, stop you from panicking when you finally wake up by having your sister beside you, reunite you with your father, steal files about you from the Centre, so they can't clone you again..."

"Ah, so that's why you went hunting there." Jarod sat back in his seat, a look of satisfaction on his face. "I knew you'd tell me eventually."

She narrowed her eyes. "Now that was just devious."

"Says the expert. I'm flattered."

"You should be. So do I get my 'thank you' yet or not?"

"Hmm, I'll think about it." He looked at her sharply, all traces of humor gone from his face. "Was that why you asked Sydney about Gemini?"

"Yes, it was." She turned to the older man. "The pages that I have no doubt were found under the front seat of my car weren't the ones I stole. They look very like them, but aren't the same."

Sydney leaned forward and rested his arms on the table. "So the reason you've been inside the Centre so many times is that you sneak in, look at or copy the files you're interested in and then make new ones before sneaking back in and swapping the old for the new."

"Precisely. I've been progressively doing that all over the Centre, and Mr. Parker's office was the last. You see, I've managed to gather information about some of the future projects of the Centre and, by doing what I've done, it's basically put a stop to all of the ones with negative connotations."

Jarod looked over. "But not all of them?"

"Considering that one, for example, has a potential to cure some cancers, I think we can leave all of those alone, don't you? Of course, I've kept copies of those files too, and if the Centre tries the 'we've got information and you've got money so let's trade' trick, they'll quickly find that the buyers have the information too."

Sydney glanced at Jarod. "I can see why you call her devious. We ought to have seen that more in the SIM." He turned back to the woman. "But you still haven't told me what you gave all three of us in the car."

Helen looked from one man to the other. "Well, it's obvious you two spent a long time together - same suspicion, same impatience..."

"Helen!"

The name came simultaneously from both men, and she laughed, before reaching over to pick up a black case, putting it on the table. Opening it, she took out a silver canister and placed it in front of Sydney.

"There was a hook under the car seat. When I pressed the button, that put a hole in the canister and the gas was released."

Jarod picked up the container and examined it. As he went to open it, Helen reached forward and took it out of his hand. "If you do that, you'll be unconscious in about two seconds. For once, and for all our sakes, Jarod, don't let curiosity get the better of you." She replaced it in the case before taking out eight vials, putting them in a row on the table. "The gas is a mix of those chemicals."

He read the neatly printed names on the labels before looking at Sydney. "You're doing well to be awake now. That'd be potent stuff."

"It is," the older man assured him ruefully. "Painfully so."

"Well, I did give you the option, Sydney." Helen laughed. "You chose the hard way, instead of just letting it soothe you to sleep like it did for Broots."

He looked up. "If it's a strong as all that, how did you get us down to the cellar?"

"Don't you remember?"

"No. I do have a faint memory of seeing Broots pass out in the car and I can faintly remember the conversation we had and all I remember after that was waking up downstairs to find a note on my bedside table reminding me, in friendly tones, that, earlier that day I'd been abducted, but if it was all the same to me, you'd rather I didn't panic about it too much yet. It took me almost an hour before I was actually able to get out of bed."

As Emily laughed at the description of the note, and at Sydney's tones, Helen picked up a second bottle and put it on the table before returning the other glass vials to their places in the case.

Jarod glanced at her as he read the label on the bottle in front of him. "What's this?"

"It's another of my own creations - a weird drug. Smell it."

He looked skeptical and she laughed. "You couldn't have stopped trusting me yet again, by any chance, could you Jarod?"

"Only where chemicals are concerned." He lifted off the lid and cautiously sniffed at the contents, gasping as he put it back down on the table. "What the...?"

"I call it a 'pick-me-up'. Once, just after I'd given a sedative to a patient, I knocked over a bottle of something I'd been experimenting with. She was awake for sixty seconds, with total awareness of what was going on, and then, to my sheer astonishment, she passed out again. When she came around for a second time, she had absolutely no memory of being awake. That's what I used with both of you. I could take Debbie down there, but I had no hope with two fully-grown men, so I used that."

Jarod's eyes were still wide. "Well, I think that name you gave it is pretty accurate, anyway. Any more 'up' and you'd have to tie me down."

Helen grinned and consulted her watch. "You've got another ten seconds before it wears off. Like I said, the things I use don't have side effects. That's one of the best parts of them." Laughing at the expression on the younger man’s face, Helen turned to the psychiatrist. "Was there anything else you wanted to ask me, Sydney?"

"Not right now, no, so I guess that makes it your turn. What were you wanting to know?"

"Only one thing, actually. I want a rough timetable for Miss Parker's activities on an average day."

Jarod raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Who did I ask - you or Sydney?"

"Okay, okay."

"Good." Helen turned to Sydney. "I want to know the times she's at her house on a normal night."

"Give me twenty minutes or so, and I can make you a pretty accurate plan of her whereabouts at any point during a normal twenty-four hour period."

Helen pushed a pad of lined paper and a pen across the table. As he accepted them, Sydney glanced at her.
"Are you going to try the casual routine or use something else?"

"As you said, Sydney, I don't think she'd go for the casual thing, but she needs to get out of there soon, or her father might decide she's as big a risk as Lyle."

"Is he still...?"

"For now, he is still alive, yes. But once he's out of the picture, I'm not sure where they'll turn their attention next."
Part 3 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 3



Ashe, New York
Helen looked over to see Debbie and Emily playing cards and then turned back to the three men seated opposite her.

"Are you going to bring her here?"

"That was the plan, yes. Then you can explain things to her before she shoots off my head for rifling through her father's things."

"Just out of interest," Broots looked up, "what was it that you took out of the hole in his wall?"

She smiled, leaning nonchalantly back in her chair. "Mainframe access codes for the next week."

The technician's eyes popped. "And… what did you put in?"

"The wrong codes." Helen grinned. "The Centre's in a lot of trouble, the day after tomorrow."

"Why not until then?" the psychiatrist proposed.

Broots glanced at Sydney. "The codes are pre-programmed into the system."

"And what happens when they put in a wrong one?"

The technician stared at the table for a minute before looking up. "It's a little complicated but I'll try to explain. As you know, there's a password required to access the mainframe every time a person wants to find out something. Those words change daily, and the words for the upcoming days are entered just after the backup of data carried out by the Centre weekly. When the internal clock clicks over to a new 'day', the password automatically changes to the new one and the user has to enter an identical word to the one the system recognizes to be able to access the mainframe. The head of Security - Miss Parker's old job - receives the list of words every month from the Triumvirate. He puts in the codes each week and then destroys the lists so that unauthorized people, like Jarod for instance, don't creep in and find them." Broots sent a half-hearted grin in the Pretender's direction as he said this, before continuing. "Mr. Parker gets the list of codes too, but he can't destroy them because he has to send out a daily memo to anyone with a high enough status to be told the new code. The next morning, the first arrival puts in the right code and the day gets off to a good start. I can only assume that Mr. Parker keeps them in that hole that Helen took them from because he thought it would be safe."

"So why won't it happen tomorrow? Why the day after?"

Helen smiled. "Mr. Parker's lazy. Instead of writing a new memo daily, he writes the week's worth on one day and pre-programs them to send at the relevant time. As of tomorrow, he's going to create the emails of new, false words for this week, and then, when somebody tries to use it, the day after tomorrow, complete havoc will reign."

"What will happen?"

"Total lock-down."

Broots and Helen said this simultaneously, but only the woman continued with the explanation. "Nobody - and I mean nobody, including Broots if he'd happened to be there - will be able to access the mainframe from inside the Centre. We, and other people outside the Centre, however, will, because we have the right codes." She put one hand into the bag and took out a bundle of pages that she put down on the table and then glanced at Jarod. "If there's anything you wanted to know, that will be the time to find out about it and no-one can stop you."

"And how long do we have?"

"Jarod, think about it. Total lock-down. Not only won't they be able to enter any of the passwords, but after twenty-four hours, when the word changes, none of the computers will even give them the option of entering another possible password. The Centre will have to rebuild the mainframe from the bottom up - with no access to any of the information they've got in the old one. But they will be oh, so glad to remember that they do have hard copies of some of the information."

"Why do I suddenly see a problem with that?"

Helen grinned and tried to look innocent. "I have no idea what you mean."

Sydney narrowed his eyes. "Oh, really? So it would just be coincidence that all of the information you've 'replaced' is material considered too confidential to put up on the old mainframe."

Helen leaned back in her seat and laughed softly. "To put up or not to put up, that is the question. Whether 'tis smarter for the Centre to allow any fool to get hold of highly confidential material or to leave it for private access is a problem that only the Triumvirate will be able to sort out. I doubt Mr. Parker or Mr Raines will be particularly popular people after tomorrow."

"Why them?"


She shrugged, grinning. "Mr. Parker will provide the wrong code and Raines was the one who hired the security chief."

Sydney suddenly looked up from the notes he was making. "Just out of curiosity, how long as all this been going into motion?"

The woman glanced at Broots. "What was the date on the first of those files with the doorbells?"

Broots thought for a moment. "Almost a year ago."

"There you go, Sydney. That's how long it's been in motion for." She shrugged. "I like to work in the long-term."

"And your vendetta?"

Helen turned to Jarod. "Date of SIM 3832?"

"July 18, 1996. And the print was almost forty-eight hours old."

She smiled and got out of her chair to refill the kettle.

"What's your reason for it, Helen?"

"My reason for what, Sydney?" Her innocent tones weren't fooling anybody and the psychiatrist rolled his eyes.

"The vendetta. Why do you keep sneaking in and out of the Centre?"

With a sad smile on her lips, Helen turned. "July 15 was the last day I ever heard from Jarod and Em's mother. It was also the day I graduated from my specialized course. Being free from work at the time, but still expecting more messages from Margaret, I decided that I’d see what I could do, to make her life better and traveled down to Atlanta the next day."

"NuGenesis?"

"Exactly. During the night, I snuck into the place and found the Centre's location, as well as a few other bits and pieces that I thought might be handy. Next day, I traveled to Delaware and spent a night in the Centre, getting to know the layout of the air ducts." She smiled. "I had help."

"Angelo," Sydney suggested.

"Exactly. He was happy to show me around, having an idea of what I was after."

"And that was?"

Helen looked at Jarod, a degree of scorn on her face. "You, of course. You and Kyle. Naturally, Kyle wasn't there but I found information about him in one of Raines' files. Although I went to see him, I didn't tell your mother about it. Nor did I mention that you were still in the Centre in the last email I ever sent her. In all the messages I ever got, she was hoping that you'd already managed to get out." Helen turned a sad gaze on Sydney. "Margaret hoped that somebody would help you to escape before anything serious happened to you." The woman paused. "Unfortunately, nobody did."

# # #


Briar Road
Blue Cove, Delaware

Miss Parker drove her car up the drive and moodily got out of it. All she was keen to do now was get inside her house and try to forget about the day. Although Lyle had been at a conference, she had still felt uncomfortable. This had been caused by a combination of things, she knew. Her twin brother’s comments about their father 'keeping secrets' was still annoying and she made a mental note to pressure him about it again. She was becoming increasingly concerned at the continuing absence of Sydney, Broots and Debbie. Driving past Broots' house that morning, she had found Sydney's car but the lack of any signs of injury or of a struggle hadn't eased any of her concerns. Frowning blackly, Miss Parker took the key from the ignition and went to the front door, opening it and letting herself inside.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Lyle walked into his office and dropped the bag down on the floor beside his desk before sitting in the chair. He looked up in time to see the door slowly fall shut and, as he heard a faint click, Lyle stared at the frosted glass panels before shrugging, reaching over and turning on his computer. Absent-mindedly, he scratched at an itchy spot on the side of his hand, before looking at it to see that the skin had turned red. He wondered what had bitten him before picking up the mug that sat on his desk and filling it from the bottle that stood beside it, watching unthinkingly as the computer completed its start-up process.

Taking the first sip of water, he felt it burn its way into his stomach and stared at the bottle, eyes narrowing at the slight pain that he was now feeling. Suddenly, with no warning, the twinge turned to gut-wrenching agony that caused him to almost fall off the chair. His eye was caught by a change of his computer screen when his screensaver activated, and his hands grabbed the arms of his chair as a name, in thick, three-dimensional red writing on a black background, began bouncing its way around the screen.

Ammon.

The hidden.

It had seemed so appropriate when he had created it - a drug that was unable to be seen, tasted or smelled, but could only be felt as the skin absorbed it, speedily breaking down cell clusters and taking the body apart, bit-by-bit.

And he was now on the receiving end of his own creation.

With a frantic push, Lyle moved his chair away from the desk with legs that, he was well aware, were in the process of being dismantled on the inside. He lunged for the door of his office, expecting the hard surface to give, but the glass didn't yield to his push. The scarcely noticed click now returned to his mind and Lyle knew that whoever had done this, had tried to murder him, would have taken all necessary precautions to make sure he had no chance of getting help. Not that there was any help to get. Ammon had never had an antidote, nor could or would it ever have. It was impossible to rebuild tissues that had collapsed in on themselves. Lyle knew that, but the instinctive grasp he had on life made him keep mentally searching for answers even as his knees began buckling and he slipped down to the cold, hard marble.

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen stared at the images on her screen, watching in morbid fascination as the man dropped to the floor. Having read the detailed reports about Ammon, she knew what was happening, even if his outward appearance wasn't changing. Not yet, anyway. It would become obvious, she knew, in a few hours, and Helen wondered how long Cox and Mr. Parker would wait before they 'found' his body. A movement of the man brought her attention to the screen, and she watched as Lyle began to convulse, the drug making its way up his spinal cord and breaking down every cell it met along the way, slowly beginning to dismantle his brain.

"What are you doing?"

Abruptly Helen shut the laptop and looked up to see Jarod in the doorway of her room.

"Nothing much."

"I wanted to know if you were planning to cook dinner for us all."

"Can you do it, Jarod? There's plenty of food. I've got things to do."

"Sure, no problem." He looked back over his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Fine." She half-smiled. "Maybe a little tired."

"Well, I'm sure there's plenty of things you could give yourself to get over that."

"Remind me to get my own drink tonight, okay? Just in case you decide to 'assist' me with a short nap."

Listening to Jarod laugh, as he descended the stairs, Helen reopened the laptop, staring at Lyle's body. Reaching out a leg, she kicked the door of her room shut and then turned up the volume on the computer. As she expected, he was still alive. Just. The breathing sounds were degenerating into noises similar to those of a bubbling pot as the structure of the lung tissue disintegrated. After several long moments, the body gave one, final, violent jerk and then was still. Helen watched the skin on the man's face started to darken, the walls of the blood vessels, as with the others, falling apart and allowing blood to pool under skin that would, in a few minutes, also start to disintegrate. It was only a slight relief that he was dead. Despite everything she knew he had done in his life, it was still a terrible way to die, and it could only be worse if you knew, as Lyle must have, what was happening to him. A wave of nausea swept over Helen as she cut the connection with the Centre mainframe; the frozen image of the dead man remained on the screen as she pushed the laptop down on the bed beside her, leaning her head back against the wall and closing her eyes.

"What is it?"

Opening her eyes, she found him once more in the doorway, one hand still on the doorknob that he must have softly opened a few seconds earlier. Hesitating, she tried to come up with some lie that wouldn't sound too unrealistic, but he gave her no chance to speak.

"Please, Helen, don't lie to me. And don't say 'nothing'. I know there's something wrong so tell me what it is."

"I don't know if you'll consider this as 'wrong'." She swallowed, closing her eyes again briefly before looking at him. "Then again, maybe you will. Shut the door, Jarod."

He did as she directed and then came over, looking down first at her and then at the image on the screen. For a few seconds, his eyes seemed transfixed on the dead man’s body, Lyle’s face now swelling, before Jarod stretched out his hand to clear the image from the screen. He shut the laptop and put it on the floor before sitting on the bed next to her.

"What was it?"

"Ammon."

"And who ordered it?"

"Mr. Cox and Mr. Parker."

"Why?"

"He knew too much." She looked up at him. "That's why I need to get Miss Parker out, and soon. I'm not sure who they're going to aim for next, but it could be her."

He nodded slowly. "When?"

"I'm going there tonight. I'll get her and bring her back here. Then we need to see what happens at the Centre, both as a result of this and my theft of the codes."

"I'm coming with you."

"No, Jarod." She shook her head firmly. "I work alone. I can't risk needing to think of somebody else's safety at a critical moment."

"You're no safer in Blue Cove than I am."

"I don't have a family to be concerned about me. Stay with your sister so that she doesn't need to worry."

"And what about you? What happens if they find you?"

"They won't have me for long." She half-smiled. "I'm even better at escaping than you." Glancing up, she saw the expression in his eyes and her own hardened. "Jarod, you aren’t coming with me if I have to make certain of it. You didn't like it when I put you to sleep last time, and you'll enjoy it even less tonight, I promise you."

"And you're in such a fit state to go and kidnap anybody!" Jarod's tones were full of sarcasm. "Let alone Miss Parker!"

"I'll be fine, Jarod. I'm just not used to watching people literally come apart in front of my eyes. By the time I leave for Blue Cove, I'll be okay."

"Okay?" He looked skeptical. "Who are you trying to convince, you or me?"

"Both." She gave another half-smile and got up. "Hey, if I can recover after hitting you with the front of my car, I should be able to manage after seeing that happen, particularly to a person like him."

# # #


Briar Road
Blue Cove, Delaware

Miss Parker angrily slammed the receiver of the phone back onto the cradle and sat on the sofa, glaring at it, for several minutes. It was probably useless to keep trying to call Sydney in the hope that they had come back but she wasn't able to help herself. She just had to know they were okay and the fact that none of them had called was the hardest to deal with. If she had received even a short email from them, she would be less worried but the original message was all she had heard. Turning, she glared at the fire that burned steadily in the hearth before her as she reached over to turn on the television.

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen put the black hat on over her red hair, and checked that her gloves were in a pocket of her trousers, before opening the case and, as before, fixing the silver canister under the back seat of the car. Straightening, she turned to find another figure in black standing behind her.

"Jarod!" The word was an angry hiss from between clenched teeth and he looked down at her in surprise.

"Temper, temper."

"What are you doing?"

"Trying to see if you're any more reasonable now than you were before."

"I should have slipped something into your drink at dinner."

"I kept a very firm eye on it to make sure you didn't."

"Fine. What do you want?"

"To help. You can't possibly carry an unconscious Miss Parker, and if you use the 'pick-me-up' drug, she'll find more than enough time to wrap both hands around your throat before she falls asleep again. Besides, I'll be good company."

Helen shut the car door and leaned against it with her arms folded. "You're really just unhappy about the fact that I'm doing something you're not involved in."

He tried to hide a smile. "That might be it, yes. You got the others without my assistance and I want to help with this."

"So you think that Miss Parker's going to trust you any more than she does me?"

"Who said anything about trust? You knock her out, I'll carry her to the car."

"I had other plans, Jarod."

"Let me guess. She was going to knock you out instead."

Despite her best attempt, a small grin appeared on Helen's face and he smiled in response. "So, do I get to tag along?"

"Can you keep your mouth shut?"

"For as long as necessary, yes."

She nodded and then reached into the case, pulling out a small syringe.

"Roll up your sleeve."

"Why?"

"Trust is usually useful between partners, Jarod."

"Tell me what it's for and I'll trust you."

"It's an antidote to my little drug creations. In about half an hour, you'll fall asleep and, when you wake about thirty minutes after that, the drugs I'm planning to use on Miss Parker won't have any affect on you."

He pushed up the black cloth of his t-shirt and let her inject the substance before grinning. "I think you just want to knock me out again."

Snorting, Helen closed the case and opened the front door of the car. "Let's just get this over with, shall we?"

# # #


Delaware
Yawning, Jarod stretched in the seat and then opened his eyes to see the world flashing past the car window.

"How fast are we going?"

Helen laughed. "I would have expected your first question to be 'where are we'?"

"It's my second."

"We're going slightly over the speed limit and we're not far from Blue Cove. I was starting to think you wouldn't wake up before we got there. So much for the good company. Obviously you were a little weary before I gave it to you."

He grinned half-heartedly. "Maybe just a bit."

"If you're too tired to help..."

"Keep hoping, Helen."

She laughed. "And who says I was?"

"It was implication. I got the idea after your 'I work alone' comment."

"I usually do. I might work for other people but I don't generally work with them."

"So you're broadening your experiences."

"Great. I'll add it to my résumé as soon as we get back to Ashe."

Jarod laughed and turned to look out of the window for a moment before glancing at her. "So, are you going to tell me your plan?"

# # #


Briar Road
Blue Cove, Delaware

Helen slipped the piece of metal into the keyhole and turned it until the lock gave. Silently she walked along the dark hallway, changing the gun to her right hand as she approached the living room. Peeping through the doorway she could see her target sitting on the sofa, her head hanging down and hair fallen around her face. Her eyes narrow, Helen hesitated. It was tricky, in a situation like this, to know if a person was really asleep or not. Fingering the syringe in her left hand, Helen returned it to her pocket as she watched Miss Parker's shoulders rising and falling in deep, even breaths.

Returning the gun to its holster, she assured herself that the bottle and cloth were in her other pocket and then took a final, careful look around the room before walking inside. Her feet made no sound on the floor as she crossed the carpet and stood in front of the sofa. Picking up a cushion, she cautiously lifted it so it came to rest against the side of Miss Parker's head. For a moment, there was no movement, but then, as she’d anticipated, the woman nestled slightly into the soft fabric. Helen touched Miss Parker's shoulder, exerting a gentle pressure until she felt the woman leaning to that side. Helen bent her knees, gradually lowering the body until, several minutes later, Miss Parker was stretched out on the sofa, still sound asleep.

Easing her hand out from under the cushion, Helen straightened up and reached into her pocket, pulling out the vial and cloth. Soaking one with the other took just a few seconds, and then Helen lowered the material towards Miss Parker's face. Holding it a few inches away, she let the woman breathe in the fumes, before she placed the rag over her mouth and nose and then stepped back. She glanced up to where Jarod stood in the doorway and spoke in a low voice.

"Ready, Muscles?"

He grinned. "How 'out' is she?"

"Well, don't drop her or..."

Smothering a grin, he came into the room and gave her the syringe he had been holding, before bending down and slipping his arms in behind Miss Parker's neck and legs. As he straightened, her head rolled onto his shoulder but, as her arms slowly lifted to link behind his neck, he tensed and glanced over at Helen.

"Talk to her."

Jarod nodded at the murmured words and looked at the woman in his arms. "It's all right, Parker." He moved the fingers that were touching her shoulder and felt as she relaxed against him with a soft sigh.

"Let's get out of here."

Nodding again, Jarod turned to the door and walked out into the cool night air as Helen locked the house. Going over to the car, she opened the back door and moved away. As Jarod was about to place Miss Parker on the seat, the sleeping woman shivered and clung to him more tightly, snuggling in against his shoulder. A quick glance was enough to show him that she had remained asleep, but as he tried again to put her into the car, Miss Parker tensed, and a sound like a whimper came from between her parted lips. He looked at the other woman.

"Now what?"

"Now you'll have to sit on the back seat with her." Helen grinned. "You're the fool who volunteered to come. It's your own stupid fault."

"How long will this stuff of yours last?" the man demanded when they had been underway for just over twenty minutes.

Helen glanced down at the clock on the dashboard and then into the mirror at the man in the back seat, the woman lying with her head on his lap. "Not very much longer."

"And what's going to happen...?"

Before he could continue, Miss Parker moved her head slightly on his knee, and he looked down at her. "It's all right, Parker."

"Tommy?"

At the murmured word, a sad look came into Jarod's eyes and he gently stroked her hair. "Just try to sleep again, Parker. We've got a long way to go."

The woman relaxed again against him for a moment, before tensing and stifling a yawn, opening her eyes and staring at his in disbelief.

"J...Jarod?"

He grinned weakly. "Morning, Parker."

"What on earth...?"

Hearing the anger in the woman's voice, Helen pressed the button that would put the hole in the gas canister. She had been hoping to avoid using it, but now it would seem to be necessary.

"Are you going to tell me what you're doing?" Miss Parker sat upright on the seat and glared at him before looking around. "And where are we?"

"We're in my car, Miss Parker,” the driver announced. “Nice to see you again."

"Helen?"

"Very good." The woman's voice became condescending. "With all the things that have been going on, I thought you might have forgotten me by now."

"What are you...where are you taking...?"

"The same place I took Sydney and the others. I thought you might like to see the three of them again, just to make sure I'm not torturing them or anything like that, so that's where we're going."

"You're abducting us?"

"That's right. Just like I did with them." Helen grinned over her shoulder. "Try not to get too upset about it, Miss Parker. It won't do you any good."

Looking down at the dial, she nodded slightly and watched in the mirror as Jarod yawned. He relaxed back against the seat and stared blankly out through the window, his head lolling forward once or twice and eyelids drooping, before the woman on the seat beside him spoke.

"Jarod, are you all right?"

Rolling his head lazily in the woman’s direction, Jarod turned glazed eyes on her. "I'm okay, Miss Parker. Just... a… a little..." Another wide yawn interrupted the mumbled words, as his head sank back against the headrest. He nestled against the car seat before Jarod's eyes closed and his lips parted slightly, his breathing becoming deep and even. The other woman glanced at Helen, who had pulled the car over to the side of the road and now turned in her seat.

"What on earth...?"

"Don't worry, Miss Parker. He'll be fine."

"Fine?!" She reached over and put one hand on Jarod's shoulder, shaking him vigorously, to which the man failed to respond, before she turned to Helen. "He's unconscious! What did you do to him? What did you give him?"

"Just a small sleeping drug to make sure he won't learn our destination. You know, Miss Parker," Helen softened her tones, making them more soothing, and seeing as the woman, taking several deep breaths to control her emotions, started to be affected by the gas. "If I were to let him watch where we were going, he might remember later and that could be bad for me. So, to prevent him from remembering, I gave him that. Think of it as a gift – a lovely, long sleep, so he'll be nice and relaxed when we get there. He looks so peaceful, doesn't he, just lying there, none of those awful dreams haunting him like they so often do."

She paused as the other woman yawned, and Helen hid a smile, her voice taking on a monotonous, near-hypnotic tone.

"I feel sorry for you, too, Miss Parker, with all that work you do. You're in as much need of a long night's sleep as Jarod is. It's a pity you woke up. I was hoping that you might manage to stay asleep for the whole trip, through the beautiful, dark night with the moon illuminating the sky as we drive along and the engine creating a lovely vibration. But, if you close your eyes now, then you might also be able to sink into a lovely deep sleep just like the one Jarod's enjoying. When, in a couple of hours, you wake up again, you'll be lying in a wonderfully soft bed, covered in warm, cozy blankets in a dark room where you don't have to get up until you want to."

Before Helen half-finished this speech, Miss Parker had yawned widely several times. Gradually, her blinking became more erratic, as a mixture of the gas and the earlier drug made it impossible for her to fight against the medication’s soporific effect. Drowsily, she gazed up at the woman who was speaking from the driver’s seat. No longer able to hear the individual words spoken, she found herself relaxing at their tone. As the incomprehensible murmuring continued, the woman let herself sink back against the seat. Her heavy-lidded eyes remained fixed on the woman in front of her, but, as her vision began to blur, the woman's head lolled back against the headrest. Helen's quiet voice, speaking the last words, accompanied Miss Parker letting her eyelids fall shut, lashes lying unmoving on her cheeks as the woman's lips parted with a soft release of breath.

"Sweet dreams, Parker."

The masculine voice softly spoke and Helen looked over to see Jarod watching the woman as her breathing became slower. Smiling, Helen turned and restarted the engine. Jarod reached out and gently rearranged Miss Parker's body until her head lay in his lap again. As he gently stroked the unconscious woman's hair, Jarod stared through the fast moving car's window into the dark night.

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Hey, Muscles, you weren't supposed to sleep too!"

Yawning, Jarod glanced up to see Helen standing beside him, holding the door open, and grinned as he looked down at the woman who still lay with her head in his lap, where he had put it several hours earlier.

"That's your fault. You shouldn't make it sound like such a tempting idea."

"Well, if you were really that tired, you didn't have to come." She helped him out, watching as he scooped the sleeping woman up in his arms.

"How would you have managed this if I hadn't?"

"Oh, I have my secrets." She grinned. "I rearranged the downstairs with the idea that Miss Parker would sleep where Debbie was and Broots’ daughter could sleep on a sofa in the living area. One of those sofas folds out to a bed."

"Lead the way."

Shutting the door and locking the car, she opened the rear door of the house and walked into the kitchen. Sydney and Broots were sitting at the table as they entered and both jumped to their feet.

"Any problems?"

"Were you expecting any, Sydney?"

"Well, you did take a while."

"I thought it best to take a roundabout way back to shake any possible pursuers. Broots, can you show Jarod where I made up the bed for Miss Parker and get her settled into it?"

"Sure thing."

Helen thankfully sat down at the table with a sigh as the trio descended the stairs into the cellar.

"Tired?"

"Would you like the honest answer or the sarcastic one?"

Sydney pushed a mug in her direction and she eyed it for a second. As the man watched, she got up, took out a glass, rinsed it in hot water and filled it with cold water from the tap. Seeing the look of disappointment on Sydney's face, although he tried to hide it, she grinned.

"In my line of work, Sydney, I've learned not to trust anybody, even those people who might want to help me. It's a very kind thought but there are two problems."

"Oh really?" Sydney tried to sound innocent. "And what are they?"

"First, I've created an antidote to all of the drugs I create and I give it to myself as soon as I know it works."

"Why?"

"To prevent from happening what would have, if I'd been less aware or less suspicious."

He smiled. "And what's the second problem?"

"I'm not going to drink it." She laughed. "Besides, you won't need to give me an artificial sedative tonight. I'll sleep quickly enough without it."

"Even despite having seen what you saw earlier?"

Her face became serious as she sat down at the table again. "I've been trying not to think about that ever since I got into the car."

"I'm sorry." He reached out, gently touching her hand. "I didn't want you to start thinking about it again. I was just wanting you to know that we've seen it as well."

"Is it a good thing or a bad one for the two of you?"

"Probably a mixed blessing. He hadn't made any of our lives more pleasant since he turned up, but..."

"But he was a human being and it's terrible to watch something like that happen, I know. It'd be a lot worse if you'd actually known what was happening inside him as he writhed on the floor." She glanced at him. "Unless you did."

Sydney nodded slowly and then looked up. "How did you know about Ammon?"

"I went hunting after I found that report, while you, Broots and Debbie were still asleep." Helen got to her feet and put the glass in the sink, yawning widely. "I've managed to have progressively less sleep each month that I'm involved with the Centre. Soon I'll be getting up before I go to bed."

"And then you might as well apply for a job there,” the psychiatrist joked. “That's what the rest of us do."

Helen laughed. "I might see if I can break out of that horrible habit tonight. Good night, Sydney."

# # #


She felt the laptop gently removed from under her hands, but was too comfortable to open her eyes. That feeling lasted until she felt herself being lifted up from the chair in the corner of her room, staring into the deep, brown eyes that were on a level with her own.

"Jarod, what are you...?"

"Beds are generally horizontal things, not half-vertical ones, and that was where you told Sydney you were going."

"What do you think you're doing? - apart from showing off, of course."

"Putting you there." He grinned. "I got suspicious when I saw your light on."

"I was in the middle of something."

"Yes, you were sleeping. You'll do that far more productively in bed than if you sit up in a chair - even one as comfortable as that."

"I could quite easily have got here myself." She glared up at him indignantly from the position against the pillows where he had just put her.

"Well, it didn't look like you were trying very hard so I thought I'd - help."

"You're far too good at that."

"As long as people appreciate it." He sat on the bed next to her, starting to shut down the laptop. "So what were you looking at anyway?"

The humor in her eyes faded. "I wanted to find out if anybody had been in Lyle's office yet."

"And?"

"You don't want to look, Jarod. Trust me."

"I'll take that as a no, shall I?"

"Mmm-hmm." She gave him a sleepy half-smile. "You do that."

Jarod shut the lid of the laptop and put it down on the floor next to the bed. As he looked up, he saw that Helen's eyes were closed and leaned forward, easing the extra pillows from behind her head. As he was about to stand up, she rolled over onto her side and drowsily opened one eye.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome - but do you want to warn me before you do that?"

"You'll cope. You should be used to the unexpected by now."

He laughed softly and got up. "Good night, Helen."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Why did you leave it there?"

Mr. Cox leaned back in his seat and looked over at the man sitting opposite him, a faint smile on his face. "When word gets around, it will ensure that any of his potential supporters either give up on the idea or leave - fast."

Mr. Parker nodded slowly, eyes fixed on the desk in front of him, before looking up again. "So will you use the same method for the others?"

"Only if you can't think of an objection. It's fast, easy, reliable and totally untraceable. If we work it correctly, we can even blame it all on Mr. Lyle."

"And you would be very pleased at that possibility." The older man looked sharply at his assistant. "And my daughter?"

"That depends on your choice, sir."

"Fine. Her behavior's changed since the disappearance of those two people she works with. My directions to you will depend on her actions today. If she will be of no more use, you may dispose of her in any way you choose."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Miss Parker?"

The woman felt the touch against her cheek and rolled her head away from it, the cool fingers an unpleasant alternative to the warmth of the bed in which she now felt herself to be lying, as she could vaguely remember somebody promising that she would be.

"Come on, Miss Parker, it's time to wake up now."

Moaning softly, she tried to ignore the voice and attempted to roll over, but every muscle felt like it was made of lead and it was easier to stay where she was.

"Parker?"

This voice was familiar and, although the woman wanted nothing more than to let herself sink back into sleep again, something about the tones made her force her eyes open, to meet those of the man who sat next to her. For a second she gazed at him drowsily, before suddenly her eyes widened and she tried to sit up.

"Sydney?"

"It's all right, Parker." He placed one hand on her shoulder to keep her still. "Don't try to move. Just stay there."

"Are you...what are you...where...when...?"

"What a lot of unfinished questions." The woman, who had withdrawn to the door, now walked to the bed. "Good morning, Miss Parker. Or rather," Helen looked at her watch. "Good afternoon. As I told you in the car last night, if you can remember, I brought you here, the same place I brought Sydney, Broots and Debbie several days ago." She glanced at Sydney. "Did I answer them all?"

"Well, you didn't answer the 'where' but you haven't even told us that yet..."

"...and I think we'll keep it quiet, for now at least."

Sydney smiled and then looked down to where the woman was watching them, a look of curiosity mixed with concern and hints of anger on her face.

"It's all right, Parker. You're quite safe."

"Could have fooled me."

Helen laughed. "I told you that last night, Miss Parker, remember?"

Sydney laughed. "It's hard to be convinced as somebody deliberately knocks you out with potent sleeping gas."

"Is that what...?"

"Oh, come on, Miss Parker, you didn't believe my little spiel about the comforts of the car, did you?" Helen grinned. "Of course I used a little something. Nothing too extreme, of course, but you won't be able to get up until it wears off properly..."

"...and that, presumably, is the only reason she hasn't jumped out of the bed and wrapped both hands around your throat by now."

"J...Jarod?" Miss Parker stared at him. "So I did see you."

"Of course you did." He folded his arms, leaning against the doorframe. "I was sitting right beside you on the back seat, remember?"

"Vaguely." Her eyes hardened and she looked back at Helen. "So why did you go to all the effort of bringing me here? And, no, I don't believe it was merely for me to see that you weren't torturing Sydney and the others."

"Now that's what I like to see." Helen laughed. "Good, healthy skepticism."

Miss Parker's eyes narrowed. "Will you tell me, or do I have to give you a dose of good, healthy unconsciousness?”

The redhead laughed before glancing at Jarod. "Okay, your plan was better than mine."

He smirked. "I could have told you that."

"You did tell me that - several times." Helen turned to the bed. "Your reaction to this could be entertaining, but you need to trust me, Miss Parker."

The woman merely raised a well-manicured eyebrow as she glanced around. "Considering the situation, I don't appear to have much choice."

"Good." Helen pulled a bundle of papers out of her pocket and then sat down on the bed and picked up a laptop from its position on the floor, starting it up. "Take a look at these..."
Part 4 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 4



Ashe, New York
"Helen?"

"Yes, Debbie?" The woman looked up as the girl came into the living room, a rug wrapped around her.

"Where's Daddy?"

"He and Jarod left to do some shopping," Helen smiled. "You're up very early this morning, aren't you? Even Miss Parker and Sydney are still asleep."

The girl sat down on the sofa beside the woman. "I had a bad dream."

Slipping an arm around her shoulders, Helen gently drew the girl closer to her, one hand brushing the hair out of her eyes. "Want to tell me about it?"

"Not..." the girl broke off to yawn. "Not right now."

Smiling, Helen let the girl rest against her shoulder and turned her attention back to the television she had been watching. Feeling the girl's head begin to nod drowsily against her arm, the woman lifted a hand and began to slowly stroke Debbie's hair.

"Helen?"

The voice was a murmur and she looked down. "What is it?"

"Were you ever a mom?"

"No, Debbie." Her tones were normal, but a look of sorrow came into her eyes as she shook her head. "No, I wasn't."

"You'd be a good mom." There was a pause before Debbie continued in sleepy tones. "Will you be mine?"

Helen smiled tenderly. "If you want me to be, then I don't see why not. Sure."

"Good."

The girl snuggled closer, her head threatening to roll forwards off Helen's shoulder. Reaching up, the doctor gently supported it until it was lying on her lap. The girl nestled nearer, relaxing almost immediately into sleep and Helen smiled faintly, arranging the blanket so that Debbie was warmly covered, an expression of sadness apparent in her eyes as she turned back at the screen.

An hour later, seeing a movement out of the corner of her eye, Helen looked over to see Sydney standing in the doorway of the living room, a smile on his face.

"You'll make a good mother one day."

"I just became one."

The psychiatrist raised an eyebrow as he sat opposite her. "Are you going to clarify that, or leave it as a mystery?"

Helen laughed softly. "Debbie asked if I'd be her mom."

"And of course you said yes."

"What else could I say?" She smiled. "As long as Broots doesn't mind..."

"I don't think he will."

"Oh, so he's forgiven me for abducting him? I'm glad to hear it."

"I think he's appreciating the vacation away from the Centre, and being able to spend time with his daughter."

"There's always a silver lining. You just have to look hard sometimes."

Sydney smiled and glanced at the television before looking back. "I'd never have picked you as the 'inane early morning cartoon watching' type."

"It's a nice 'no thinking required' activity. Makes a break from Centre DSAs."

A smile on his face, Sydney got out of the chair. "I'm going to get dressed. Have you got any idea how long Jarod and Broots might be?"

"Not a clue. But they probably won't be that much longer."

As Sydney descended the stairs to the cellar Helen looked down at the girl whose head still lay in her lap. The small face was flushed bright pink and her lips were parted. Even as Helen watched, Debbie shivered, snuggling closer before relaxing once more. Raising a hand, Helen placed the back of it against Debbie's forehead, lifting an eyebrow as she felt the warmth coming from the girl's face. A gentle touch revealed that her body was also unnaturally hot and Helen placed two fingers on the girl's neck, feeling the bounding pulse. Gently, the doctor shook Debbie until the girl’s eyes slowly opened, drowsily looking up out of dull eyes.

"Sweetie, do you feel sick?"

"Uh huh." The girl nodded slowly, shivering, tears appearing in her eyes. "Everything really hurts, like my throat, and my arms and legs do too."

"How long have you felt like this?"

"Since yesterday, but I didn't want to tell Daddy 'cos he'd worry." Tears began to slip down the girl's cheeks and she shivered again.

"Well, we're going to have to tell him now," the doctor declared firmly.

She was about to get up but Debbie sat up and put her head against the woman's shoulder before wrapping her arms around Helen's neck as she began to cry. Helen lovingly stroked the feverish head. "It's okay, Debbie. You're allowed to get sick, sweetheart but, if you'd told me yesterday, I could have given you something to make you feel better."

"You were busy."

"Not busy enough that I couldn't have looked after you." Helen stood up, the girl in her arms. "I'm going to take you up to my room now and put you into my nice, warm bed. Would you like that?"

Debbie nodded and nestled closer to the woman, closing her eyes again as the doctor ascended the stairs. By the time they reached Helen's room, the girl had drowsed off, and never moved as Helen turned back the blankets, putting her down. Quickly she examined the girl before covering her warmly. She stood for a moment beside the bed, watching the girl sleep, before turning and leaving the room, knocking softly on the door of the next bedroom.

"Come in." Emily looked up from her book with a smile. "Hi, Helen. What's up?"

"Do me a favour."

"Sure. What is it?"

"Can you go downstairs and wait ‘till your brother and Broots get back from the store? When they do, send Broots up to my room."

"Not a problem. Going to tell me why?"

Helen grinned. "Have you had the measles?"

"At age twelve." Emily swung her legs off the bed and stood up. "Debbie's got it, right?"

"Unless my diagnosis is way out, definitely. But don't tell her father. I'll do that."

"Can do."

The two women left the room together and, as Emily went downstairs, Helen went to the bathroom to retrieve her medical bag. Going back to the bedroom, she took out a thermometer and inserted it into the drowsing girl's ear, waiting a few minutes before it gave a reading. Unsurprised at the elevated temperature, the doctor walked over to the window and lowered down the blind, hiding the light that the rising sun was casting. Looking up as she returned to the bedside, Helen saw all three men appear in the doorway.

Sydney's voice was low. "What is it?"

"Measles."

"How bad?" Broots' tones were full of concern and she hurried to ease it.

"Nothing out of the ordinary. A few days of fever, then a lot of grumpiness and after that she'll be eating everything put in front of her and complaining because she has to stay in bed." The doctor grinned. "You've had it, right?"

"Years ago, when I was a kid. You?"

"When I was about Debbie's age." She laughed, turning at the sound of the voice from the bed.

"Mommy?"

"It's okay, Debbie." Helen walked over to the bed where the girl was watching her with too-bright eyes and the flush in her cheeks deepening.

"Did Daddy come yet?"

"Yes, baby. I'm here." Broots stepped over to bed and sat beside her. At the sight of the man, his daughter's eyes filled with tears.

"I'm sorry, Daddy."

"What for, sweetie?" He gently stroked the side of her head.

"'Cos now you know I'm sick you're going to worry about me." She started to sob quietly. "I didn't want to tell Mommy either, but she asked."

The technician looked up at Helen in confusion. "Who?"

"Uh, that'd be me." Helen grinned. "We had a discussion before and she asked if I'd be her mom."

Broots smiled before kissing at his daughter. "It's okay, Debbie. I just want you to get well as fast as possible."

"Y… you're not mad?"

"No, baby." As she tried to sit up, he cuddled her. "Of course I'm not mad." He rocked her until she drowsed off against his shoulder before looking up. "She really asked?"

"Yes." Helen leaned against the wall, her hands stuffed in the pockets of her jeans. "She said that I'd be a great mom and wanted to know if I'd be hers."

"You don't mind, right?"

"Of course not, Broots. I won't even mind if she stops saying it once she starts to feel better." She hesitated. "You don't mind, do you?"

"Not at all, particularly if it makes her feel happier to do it."

Helen turned towards the door. "Want me to bring you up some food?"

The technician smiled. "That'd be great, thanks."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Well, where is she?"

The cold, blue eyes had a slightly unusually fearful expression in them as the dark-haired man looked at the figure on the other side of the desk.

"I'm afraid I don't know, Mr. Parker." The words came reluctantly. "She isn't at her house, though there are signs she was there at some stage last night, and she isn't at her desk this morning."

"Well, find her." The man's hand slammed down on the desk with a strength that made many of the objects on it jump and he glared at the black-suited figure in the doorway. "I want every single sweeper combing the country for her."

"Yes, sir, Mr. Parker." The man's voice was a murmur, and he disappeared without waiting for an official dismissal. Glaring at the door briefly, Mr. Parker then turned to look at the man opposite. "And get that office cleaned up. If he had any supporters, they'll have got the idea by now and it's starting to stink."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Okay, who's had the measles? Emily, I know, has, as has Broots, and so have I, but what about the rest of you. Sydney?"

"Yes."

"I'm glad to hear it."

Helen was about to continue when Miss Parker spoke. "Why?"

"Because things like the measles can sometimes be dangerous in older people." She grinned at Sydney. "Not that I'd ever suggest you were old."

"No, of course not," he responded in tones of extreme sarcasm, smiling.

"Miss Parker?"

"I… think so. I'm not fully sure."

"I'll get Broots to check it out on your medical records. Jarod?"

The Pretender looked at Sydney. "Not as far as I can recall. In fact, I don't think I was ever sick at the Centre, and I certainly haven't had it since I left."

"You haven't."

"And he was never immunized after the vaccine was created in 1968?"

"The Triumvirate decided against it. They were worried he might react badly and felt, because he was in such a limited environment and I'd already had it as a child, that they could keep him away from anybody who had it."

Helen rolled her eyes. "They're so accommodating. Okay, that makes life a little bit easier. I'll do a check, just in case you had it before you got there, but I can cope with a couple of maybes." She sighed, picking up her laptop, before turning to the stairs, suddenly shooting a look back over her shoulder. "If anyone needs anything, I'll be up in the sick room."

Entering the room, she put the machine down on the desk in the corner and went over to the bed, feeling the girl's forehead with a gentle hand.

"How's she doing?"

"She was awake about ten minutes ago."

Helen went over to the bag and pulled out a bottle and measuring glass. "I need to wake her up again so that she can take this."

"What is it?"

"Something to get bring down her fever."

Broots glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. "Do you think she'll be the only patient?"

"I'd be very surprised, ‘though it'd be nice if it was that easy." Helen measured a dose of the medicine, replacing the lid. "Miss Parker was sitting next to Debbie for all of yesterday afternoon, watching t.v and reading to her, and she helped me cook dinner last night - dinner Jarod also ate. I'm expecting them both to come down with it, unless Miss Parker's had it already." The woman nodded at the laptop as she picked up the glass. "While I give Debbie this, could you check if she has?"

"Sure thing." Broots got up from his seat beside the bed. "Shall we find out if they've discovered your theft in Blue Cove yet as well?"

The woman grinned. "Why not? I could do with a laugh." She turned to the figure of the drowsing girl, gently shaking her. "Debbie? Come on, sweetheart, wake up."

Helen sat down beside the child, lifting her to a sitting position and resting Debbie's head against her shoulder. As the girl's eyes opened, drowsily fixing on her, the doctor smiled.

"Here, baby. I'm going to give you some medicine to make you better. Drink this for me." She held the glass to the girl's lips, watching as she swallowed the dose. "Good girl, Debbie."

Placing the glass down onto the bedside table, Helen gently brushed the long hair away from the flushed face.

"Mommy, I feel sick."

Helen smiled sympathetically. "I know you do, sweetie, but the medicine will help and you'll start to feel better soon, I promise."

"You won't catch it from me, will you?" The girl's eyes filled with tears once more, and the doctor shook her head.

"No, neither your Daddy nor I will catch it from you, and we'll only let people come see you who won't get sick either, okay?"

Sleepily, the girl nodded, nestling against the woman's shoulder, and she closed her eyes. Helen continued to brush back the long hair until she could feel that the girl was asleep. Gently she put Debbie down and then Helen got up, covering her lovingly.

"What's your specialty, Helen?"

The voice from the doorway made the two adults turn to see the psychiatrist leaning against the doorframe, his arms folded, and the woman smiled.

"Can't you guess, Sydney?"

"Pediatrics?"

"Exactly." Helen sat down in the armchair in the corner. "I love kids, and this was always going to be my career, ever since I was about fifteen."

"Why then?"

Sydney came into the room and closed the door, taking a seat at the desk as Broots vacated it, to sit beside his daughter. Helen stared at the floor for a few moments before she looked up.

"When I was fifteen, I got very sick. They thought it was appendicitis, and did exploratory surgery. Unfortunately the operation gave me a secondary infection and so I was even sicker than I'd been originally. The only way they could get rid of the infection was to perform a total hysterectomy."

"At fifteen?"

"Sydney, this was years ago. It seemed like the only option. The tests weren't advanced enough to pinpoint what the exact problem was, so they did all they could and hoped for the best. I'm still alive so they must have done something right." She smiled slightly bitterly. "Of course, being told at the point in time that you're just finding out about boys that you'll never be able to have kids is a little hard to deal with, but I managed."

"You never talked to anyone about it?"

"Who?" Helen shrugged carelessly. "The general view then was that the person just had to get on with their life, whether they were fifteen or fifty. I was never given the option of talking about how I felt and being around nuns, whose idea of 'sex' was the good old 'birds and the bees' talk, wasn't exactly helpful either."

"No, I can imagine it probably wasn't." Sydney paused. "And that was when you decided to study medicine?"

"Exactly. I made the decision that if I couldn't have kids of my own, then I'd treat those belonging to everybody else. It was a choice between that and adoption and, while I have thought about it, this just all seemed to fit into place. I did work as a GP for a while, but when I specialized several years ago, this was always going to be the field I chose."

"Fortunately for us."

Helen eyed the psychiatrist. "Hey Doc, you're not trying to escape from your part in this, are you?"

Sydney spoke in innocent tones. "You're doing it all so well. I wouldn't want to do your job for you, Helen."

She snorted indignantly. "Well, you can have the even more fun job of ensuring that Miss Parker and Jarod don't get up to too much energetic activity, at least for the next ten days or so."

"Why?"

Helen glanced at the technician as he asked the question. "The incubation period for measles is ten days. It means that Jarod should show the first symptoms in about a week's time, which just gives Debbie time to get over the worst of it before he'll start. And he should be in the middle of it when Miss Parker will come down with it, if she hasn't had it already."

"She hasn't." Broots nodded at the laptop. "According to that she got chicken pox and the mumps as a child, but she never had either the measles or the vaccine."

"Great!" Helen rolled her eyes and then turned to Sydney. "So much for thinking you could get out of it. I’ll need all the help I can get and since they both grew up at the Centre with you, guess who will be playing surrogate Daddy until they're feeling better?"

As the psychiatrist rolled his eyes, she laughed and glanced at Broots.

"Another nice point that Sydney needs to remember is that, being adults, they'll both have it much worse than Debbie, so he's got a few days of moans and groans to look forward to." She grinned at the older man. "Of course, being sick first, and children being my specialty, Debbie has first dibs on my attention, so I'll leave the care of Jarod and Miss Parker to you."

Sydney groaned and stood up, going over to the door "I had a bad feeling about you the moment we came out of the alley. I knew I should have called in sick that day."

# # #


Several hours later, and grinning widely, Helen descended the stairs to find Jarod and Sydney in the living room.

"What is it?"

"Want to watch havoc unfold? It's funny."

"I'll bet."

Helen took a seat next to Jarod on the sofa and Sydney came over to sit on her other side as she opened the laptop and started up the file Broots had retrieved from the Centre's security system.

"This is the Tech Room at 7:14 this morning," she explained as a picture appeared.

"Just after Debbie got sick."

"Correct. It was the first place to make a discovery of my little 'theft'."

Grinning, she sat back against the cushion and looked at the screen. There was a moment of silence before a man retrieved his email with the word of the day. In full view of the other people in the room he put in the word and sat back, expecting the normal processes. His face, when the standard start-up failed to occur, was enough to make Helen laugh again and Sydney was unable to hide his amusement at the technician's near-terror as the computer provided a second chance to enter the word and, when still wrong, a third.

"You didn't mention that they've have so many attempts."

Helen glanced at Jarod. "It didn't matter. They've got no hope of getting it right and all they can do is enter the wrong word again. Besides, this is their last chance and do they know it!" She waved in the direction of the screen. "Look at the poor things. They're terrified."

A new figure walked in through the doorway, followed by another, at the sight of whom Helen felt Jarod stiffen. She laughed. "Now this is funny. I hoped they'd in call Raines."

"Why would they?" the older man queried.

"As I said, he hired Stevens, the security chief, and Stevens was presumably told what was going on. He'd want Raines there as support, 'just in case' the wrong word resulted in what we know will happen."

Raines went over to the computer and momentarily considered the email that the technician had opened earlier. Carefully, obviously, and in full view of everyone in the room he typed in the eight letters. As the last was put in, the screen went black and the three people in the room in another state could hear the sound of the computer shutting down. There was a moment of silence before the first bitter accusations began to fly.

Helen laughed and reached forward to pause the screen. "Raines and Mr. Parker were called up to face the Triumvirate three hours ago. The T-Board began about ten minutes ago and it's going to last for hours."

"How do you know?"

"It has to. The entire security of the Centre has been breached and they have no idea by whom. I think they'll both be accused of sabotage and that's no light-weight crime in the Centre."

"And Cox?"

"Gone." Helen's eyes twinkled. "He left the Centre as soon as he found out about the mainframe disturbance, concerned that his former partner would betray him."

"And what if he finds us?"

"He won't." She grinned. "I know where he's heading for, and it's not here."

Sydney eyed her. "How do you know, Helen?"

"Inside information. Cox believed that one of the sweepers was his friend and let him know where he was headed so that Cox could return when it was safe. That 'friend' betrayed him immediately to the Triumvirate. They’ve sent teams of sweepers out to find him, one of which had to be called back from New York State."

"And what were they doing here?" Miss Parker demanded as she walked into the room, sitting in an armchair.

"Looking for you." Helen's voice was flat. "Your father ordered it this morning, just before they got locked out of the mainframe." Leaning forward, she brought up the video and turned the screen around, playing the short clip. Once it ended, she glanced over at the woman. "When we got you from your house, Miss Parker, we didn't realize that it was just in time."

"We?" The woman looked up sharply at the people on the sofa, thankfully changing the subject. "I was under the impression that Jarod was just as much a 'victim' as I was."

Helen laughed. "No, not exactly. As he said, I needed someone to help get you to the car."

"In fact," Sydney added with a smile, "Jarod and Emily are the only two people not 'abducted' by our considerate life-saver here."

"Although Jarod thought he was." Helen grinned at the man who was reclining on the seat next to her, his arms folded on his chest and a small smile on his face. "I was pleaded with, before my nice little sleeping pill took over, wasn't I?"

"And in the car?" the other woman queried before the Pretender could speak.

"Do you know how easy it is to 'pretend' to be knocked out, Parker?" Jarod asked in expressionless tones. When there was no response to his question, Jarod slumped sideways in the seat, let his head roll onto Helen's shoulder and, with a little sigh, gave every appearance of falling asleep.

"But… why? I mean, was it necessary?"

"Perhaps not." Helen smiled. "But I knew that if you were panicking enough about Jarod, you'd be more likely to breathe in the gas more quickly and that would put you to sleep faster, before you could even think about, as Jarod put it, 'wrapping both hands around my throat'. Funnily enough, I've got this thing about my health. I like keeping it healthy."

Sydney's eyes narrowed. "I'm beginning to think 'devious' is an understatement."

"Thank you." Helen smiled. "I always like compliments."

After watching the other two people leave the room, Sydney to prepare lunch and Miss Parker, at Helen's direction, to spend the rest of the morning reading on her bed, Helen looked at Jarod. His head was still resting against her shoulder, eyes closed, as he had been since his demonstration earlier, and she grinned.

"It's kind of hard for me to go back to Debbie with you like that."

"Please, Mom, no."

The words were softly muttered and Helen narrowed her eyes, moving a hand so the backs of her fingers touched his forehead. Feeling the heat coming off his face, she pursed her lips in a silent whistle as Jarod, his eyes closed, continued to murmur quietly but audibly.

"I feel so sick. Let me sleep for just a little longer, please. I don't want to get up."

Giving a sudden and violent shiver, his eyes still closed, he nestled closer to her, his head sliding off her shoulder. Gently Helen supported it until it was resting down on her lap and, shivering again, he tried to curl up on the sofa.

"Jarod?" She rolled him over slightly and shook him until he looked at her, eyes dull and lifeless. Helen smiled down at him. "I think it's time that we put you into your nice, warm bed too, just like we did with Debbie."

"No." He tried to raise his head but lacked the strength. His voice, as he continued to speak, was weak. "I'm okay. I'm not sick. Really."

"I disagree." She watched as he was unable to suppress another shiver. "And as a doctor, I'm giving you a medical order, Jarod. Let's get you up to bed." His expression revealed his dissatisfaction and she changed tactics, starting to gently smooth his hair, and lowering her voice to the almost hypnotic tones he had heard her use in the car. "Wouldn't you like to be in bed, Jarod, under the soft, cozy covers? I'm sure you feel cold, and I bet your throat hurts as well. Your arms and legs are probably aching too, aren't they?"

"Uh huh." Much as Debbie had, he nodded, and tears filled his eyes as he gazed up at her, both his eyes and the tone of his voice suddenly childish.

"So wouldn't it be lovely to be in bed, where you can sleep? Of course," her tone became sharper to rouse him. "If you feel better later, you can get up again, but, for now, this is just a preventative measure. Come on."

Slipping an arm around his shoulders, she helped him up off the sofa, using much of her strength just to keep him upright. Jarod's eyes were only partly open and he leaned heavily on her as she urged him towards the stairs. Hearing voices, Sydney came out of the kitchen and moved quickly to Jarod's other side, taking some of the weight.

"Come on, Jarod. Just a few more steps and then you can sit down."

Finally in the bedroom, the two people were able to lower the feverish man into an armchair that, as in Helen's room, stood in one corner. While Sydney left to get Helen's bag from the other room, she got clean sheets from the cupboard. Glancing over as she rapidly remade the bed Helen saw him drowsing feverishly, and she wondered how he had managed to develop the symptoms of it so quickly. It seemed to be the measles as well, and she hoped so, not wanting to have to deal with more than one potentially contagious disease at a time.

"Here, Helen."

Sydney put the bag on the table in the corner and then walked over to where Jarod reclined in the chair, shivering occasionally. Gently he placed the back of his hand against the pretender's warm forehead before glancing at Helen.

"What do you think?"

"I hope," she emphasized the word, "it's the measles too. I'm just not sure..."

"...how he got it that fast." Sydney nodded. "I was thinking the same."

She grinned and turned back the crisp sheets. "Ready to play Daddy?"

He rolled his eyes. "If I have to."

Going over to the chair, Helen bent down so that her eyes were level with Jarod's, and shook him gently. Drowsily he opened his eyes and looked at her.

"Jarod, did you go to Broots' house about two weeks ago?"

The man nodded slowly. "Uh huh."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

He shrugged sleepily. "You didn't ask."

"And did you see Debbie at that time?"

Jarod nodded again, the movement becoming exaggerated as he began to drowse once more. Helen moved closer in time for his head to roll down onto her shoulder. She gently slipped an arm around his back before she shook him once again.

"I know it's hard, Jarod, but we want to get you into bed, so try and stay awake for a few minutes, okay?"

With Sydney's help, she got him out of the chair, supporting him onto the bed. No sooner was he sitting on the mattress than Jarod was asleep again, his head resting against her shoulder. With a half-smile as he eased off the man's shoes, Sydney looked up.

"That seems to be popular - first Debbie and now him."

She grinned. "I'm just a comfortable person. Come on, Jarod," she roused once more. "This isn't lying down, not yet."

"Please, Mom," the sick man muttered, nestling closer. "No. This is nice."

"Lying down is nicer," she told him firmly. "You proved that point to me. I get to return the favour."

She and Sydney placed him in a more comfortable position in bed before they let him drowse off into a feverish sleep against the pillow. The man shivered as he was tucked in, bright red spots on both cheeks as the hot, feverish breath rasped from between his parted lips.

With a rueful grin, Helen looked up. "How much do you want to bet that he had no plans to tell us he'd been visiting Broots?"

"I don't bet on certainties," the psychiatrist smiled. "And I know that's a certainty. He was hoping to avoid getting sick, I suppose."

"It's a bit late for that now." She grinned. "I bet he was pleased with the chance to sleep when we were sitting downstairs. That 'pretend' sleep probably became real very quickly. I did wonder why his reaction to the Centre seemed so calm. Now I guess we know."

"You didn't feel the fever when he was lying against your shoulder?"

"I thought he felt a bit hot, but I wasn't expecting it for more than a week. In case Miss Parker was visiting Debbie in the last two weeks and wasn't going to mention it either, I'll also give her a quick examination later."

"And what am I supposed to do all afternoon?" the man demanded.

Helen smiled. "Stay up here, of course. I don't think you'd mind. I'd expect Jarod to be feverish for the next few days and it'll make him very like the boy you cared for in the Centre." She glanced at him shrewdly, pulling out another thermometer out of her bag at the same time. "You were much nicer to him as a child than as an adult."

Sydney's face became somber. "I didn't have a choice."

"I dispute that. The Triumvirate, no matter what you may have imagined, had no plans to remove him from your care. I've found several memos stating that it was never to happen. Still, because of your concerns about it all, you changed in your attitude towards him. Now you can return to the way it was when he arrived at the Centre. And I'm sure he'll like that too."

The psychiatrist's face became skeptical. "You think so?"

"Couldn't you hear the concern in his voice when he called to find out where you were, or if you'd been taken in by the Triumvirate?" She removed the instrument from the ear of the man lying in the bed as she looked at Sydney. "Although he tries to hide it, Jarod worries about you a lot. This will be a good chance to show him that you worry about him too."

Sydney glanced at her briefly, but looked away without speaking. Helen made a mental note of the thermometer reading before she looked at him again.

"I've seen more than enough, in all my time creeping around the Centre air vents and also when I was watching DSAs, to convince me that he's important to you." She paused. "It'd also be easier for me if I know that there's somebody in here who can make sure he's okay. I can't ask Broots to do it when Debbie's sick, Miss Parker's in danger of catching it herself and Em, although she can read up on what she should do, isn't a real doctor. You are, and you're also a person that he feels comfortable around."

"He seems to be pretty good around you too."

"But I can't devote all my time to him, not with Debbie being sick too. That's why it would be great if you'd agree to stay here with him. Not all the time. Em can do some of the work too but it would be a lot easier..."

"All right, Helen. You've convinced me." He gave her a weak smile. "Actually, you did it about five minutes ago, but you were doing so well that I didn't want to stop you."

She rolled her eyes. "Thanks, I think."

# # #


Walking into the other bedroom, she placed a large bottle on the bedside table and the technician eyed it.

"What's that?"

"Something I just made up. I don't want to have to give Debbie or Jarod a whole lot of medicines to help with all their symptoms. One dose of this a few times during the day will be better."

"And how's Miss Parker?"

"I haven't examined her yet. I will, but I wanted to get this done first. I've mixed a bottle for each room, too, so we don't have to keep running back and forth." She briefly woke the girl and gave her a dose of the medicine before Helen sat down on the chair opposite the technician. "So what have you been doing since I dragged Jarod up to bed?"

"Enjoying the free entertainment." Broots nodded towards his laptop. "Mr. Parker is into the fourth hour of his T-Board."

"You're getting a kick out of watching him sweat."

"Definitely." He grinned. "Of course, it helps that we're both a long way away from the hub of the action."

"Now aren't you glad I brought Debbie along when I abducted you?" She looked at him out of the corner of her eye and he laughed.

"Okay, you're forgiven."

"I'm glad to hear it." She stood up. "I'm going to check on the other patient. If you need me, yell."

"No problem. Thanks."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"I think that will be all, Mr. Parker. For the moment, anyway."

"I take it that doesn't mean I'm free to go?" The man's tone was surly and one of the men at the other end of the table raised an eyebrow.

"No," he responded coolly. "Not yet. And particularly not after that."

"Well," commented Mr. Parker arrogantly. "I hope all my answers to your so-nicely-put questions have been sufficient that my next session will be some time away."

"I wouldn't be too sure of that, Mr. Parker." Another figure leaned forward. "I think we've only just started to find out all of the things you've got to tell us."

Mr. Parker raised an eyebrow in a manner reminiscent of his daughter. "Let's just see about that, shall we?"

# # #


Ashe, New York
"I'll stay here for a while if you want a break, Sydney."

The older man looked up from his book with a smile. "I'm fine thanks, Helen. How's Debbie?"

"Well, I just gave her a dose of this," Helen indicated the bottle on the bedside table that she had brought in with her, "so I'd expect her temperature to go down a bit fairly soon." She picked up the measuring glass. "I think we'll give Jarod some as well. It can only help, although I really made it with Debbie in mind."

Sydney glanced at his watch. "I'm assuming he won't want to eat for a while."

Helen snorted softly. "It's been a while since you studied childhood diseases, hasn't it, Sydney?"

He laughed softly. "Now that you mention it, yes. But I was really making an statement, not asking a question." The psychiatrist paused. "It doesn't mean the carers have to go hungry though, does it?"

"Is that a hint?"

"Perhaps just a very subtle one," he smiled.

Helen laughed. "Once I've given Jarod this, I'll go down and help Emily concoct something for the hungry people." Smiling, she sat down on the bed and gently roused the patient. "Jarod, wake up. Come on."

Moaning, the man turned his head away from her but a violent fit of coughing brought Jarod to full wakefulness. Helen set down the glass and put an arm around his shoulders for support until the bout was over. Finally, when he was lying against her, white and gasping for breath, she took the glass again and held it to his lips.

"Drink this, Jarod. It'll help, I promise."

Slowly he swallowed the contents, his eyes languidly fixed on her face, before Helen placed the glass down again. With her free hand, she gently stroked his cheek as he relaxed against her, at the same time feeling the heat coming off his body.

"It's okay, Jarod. I know you feel sick, but you'll start to feel better from now on, I promise. Just try to sleep, okay?"

He smiled faintly and closed his eyes, turning his head in toward her and one hand reaching up to take hold of that with which she was still gently stroking his cheek, bringing it down to rest on his chest.

"It's all right, Jarod." Understanding what such a movement indicated, she lowered her voice to a murmur. "We won't leave you alone. There'll be someone here all the time. Try to sleep now. When you wake up again, you'll feel much better, but you really have to sleep for that medicine to work well."

He nodded slightly, curling his legs up and nestling further against her neck, his lips touching her skin. She could feel the hot, feverish breath from his slightly open mouth as he exhaled, and she moved the fingers that still rested on his arm in slow circles. Looking down, she could see the beads of perspiration that glistened on his forehead and felt that the hand covering hers was damp with sweat. A few moments later, as she continued to murmur comfortingly in his ear, he let out a soft sigh and his body went limp against her. She slid her hand from under his, easing him down onto the bed, before looking up.

"You're good at that," Sydney remarked.

"Hey, we all become little kids when we're sick." She smiled as she got to her feet. "Maybe that's why I like medicine so much."

# # #


Coming into the kitchen, she paused in the doorway and glanced at her friend, who stood by the stove.

"Smells great, Em. What is it?"

Emily turned, a broad grin on her face. "Pretty boring soup, Helen. I thought it'd be the best - nice and easy."

Helen looked into the large saucepan and then up again, laughing. "Should I ask for the names of all the different vegetables in that pot?"

"No, don't." Emily turned down the heat, putting the lid on. "You'd probably think that I was being excessive or something."

"Want a drink?"

"As long as you don't do anything to it."

The redhead tried to look hurt. "I thought you trusted me, Emily!"

"Oh, I do. Sort of."

"Gee, thanks." Helen carried two cans and two glasses to the table. "I hope you're happy now."

"Very." Emily opened the can and then looked at her friend. "How's Jarod?"

"Right now, pretty feverish but I gave him something to help with that so I expect he'll begin to get better soon." Helen looked up. "If I guessed that you wanted to spend the night in there with him, would I be right?"

"Actually, yes."

"Okay, you and Sydney discuss it and work out how you want to arrange all that."

"And how about you?"

"I'll probably spend most of the night in with Debbie but I'll be in and out to check that everything's okay."

"Have you talked about it with Broots?"

"Uh huh." She sipped her drink. "He's quite happy, because he knows Debbie won't miss him if he's not there."

"What are you going to do when she goes home?"

Helen laughed. "Em, when I treat kids in hospital, they do tend to go home at the end of it. If I can deal with that, why should I have a problem with Debbie?"

"Because most of your patients don't call you 'Mommy'."

"No, that's true. That might make it a little different this time." She stood up. "Let's just wait and see what happens, okay?
Part 5 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 5



Ashe, New York
"Do you want to go down and plan with Emily for the next few days, Sydney? You can grab a bite to eat while you're down there. I'll stay here with Jarod."

The psychiatrist got to his feet. "I won't be too long."

"That's okay, take as long as you want. I've just had an entertaining time seeing Raines sweat in front of the T-Board and thought it was about time I came up for my shift."

Sydney glanced at his watch. "Did they break for lunch?"

"Well, the interrogators had lunch. I'm not sure about their prisoners."

"It's a T-Board, Helen: T as in Torture. Lunch isn't normally included in the cost."

"The voice of experience." Helen grinned as Sydney moved to the door. "For your own personal information, you coped with your T-Board in 1998 much better than Raines has coped so far today. And he's even had more practice."

"Well, that's something to be proud of." His tones were sarcastic before he smiled. "Where's Miss Parker?"

"In her room. When I glanced in to suggest that examination, she was asleep."

"She's not...?"

"Don't even say it, Sydney. Two patients is enough right now. She's probably just hit a low-energy period in her day."

"Mmm, I can see how much you believe it." He laughed. "I'll check on her and let you know."

"Sure you can cope with a basic physical after all this time, Doctor?"

"If not," the psychiatrist, turning from the door, responded in amused tones, "I could always ask Emily to help."

# # #


Helen glanced up from her book some twenty minutes later to see Jarod open his eyes, gazing at the ceiling for a moment before looking around the room. As she got up, walking over to the bed, he saw her and struggled into a sitting position.

"What… when did I… how did I get…?"

"It's all right, Jarod. Just relax." She sat down beside him and put out a restraining hand. "You've got the measles, too, like Debbie has."

"No."

He shook his head vigorously, and then stared unseeingly at the bed for a few seconds as the world spun around him. Helen stood up and took an extra pillow out of the cupboard, turning back to find that he'd thrown off the blankets and swung both legs down from the mattress, about to get up.

"Jarod, did you hear what I said? You're sick and you have to stay in bed for at least the next few days."

"I'm not sick… I…"

He broke off to cough, pressing both hands down on the edge of the mattress, leaning over until he felt like he was going to fall off the bed. Reaching out a hand, Helen prevented him from doing so, placing the extra pillow down on the bed at the same time. Once the fit of coughing was over, she tried to lay him back against it, but he resisted her touch. Helen looked down at him sternly.

"Jarod, if you don't get rest, you could become dangerously ill. I doubt you'll want that to happen, and I know we don't."

"I'm not sick." The words came from between gritted teeth. "I can't have the same thing as Debbie because the incubation period for the measles is ten days and we haven't been here that long."

She knelt in front of him, scorn obvious both in her voice and her face. "Is that a deliberate lie, or have you really forgotten about going to Broots' house almost two weeks ago?"

He stared at her. "How on earth did you...?"

"You told me, after Sydney and I brought you here. Do you remember me bringing down the tape of the Centre from this morning to show you?"

Jarod nodded slowly. "I think so."

"To show Miss Parker how easy it is to fake sleep, you 'pretended' to nod off against my shoulder and that, added to the fact that you must have felt pretty bad all morning, sent you into real sleep. Your fever went up, telling me how sick you really are."

"I'm not…"

"The longer you argue with me, the less energy you'll have to get better." She put a finger against the lips he opened to reply. "No more talking, Jarod and that's an order."

He glared at her but she could clearly see his strength evaporating, both from the effort it cost him to stay sitting up, and to talk. She sat on the bed beside him again and gently stroked the back of his head, feeling him fight the urge to rest against her.

"Come on, Jarod." Her voice took on the soothing, almost hypnotic tones she had used before. "I know you don't want to admit how bad you're feeling, but you are allowed to get sick. I even know how bad you're feeling now. Every muscle is aching and you're forcing yourself to keep sitting up. Your poor body just wants to lie down on that wonderfully comfortable mattress beneath you, but you won't let it, even though sleep - lovely, deep sleep, like I suggested in the car the day before yesterday - is what you really need to get better more quickly. Can you remember me making that suggestion, Jarod, about relaxing back into the car seat and just letting your eyes close? If you let yourself relax like that now, you'll feel a lot less sick soon."

She felt him suppress a yawn, his words slightly mumbled.

"I…I'm not…"

"You are, Jarod. You are sick. I'm sure your throat's aching terribly now, and your head must be pounding from the awful effort of having to stay upright, instead of being able to lie against the soft pillow that I've just put down on the bed for you. Just look at it, Jarod."

He numbly obeyed the instruction and turned his head away from her.

"Doesn't it look comfortable? Can you imagine letting yourself sink down, putting your poor, tired head against it, closing your eyes and stopping the burning in the backs of them?"

His words were slurred, his head rolling forward before he forced it up again. "T...they're not..."

"Oh, I think they are."

Helen changed the movement of her hand, her hand going from the front to the back of his head rather than from side to side, and he had to fight even more strongly against the urge to rest his head against her shoulder.

"I know it must be hard for your eyes to stay open, when they keep sliding out of focus like they are right now. And all they can see is that luxuriously soft pillow there, with that nice, cool, white, cover, on which to lay your poor, aching head. And I’ve got some warm, cozy blankets that I could tuck in around you, Jarod, if you just lie down, to keep you from feeling so cold, like you're beginning to now."

"I'm not c…cold…" He tried to conceal a shiver as he spoke, his words even more mumbled than they had been before.

"You are cold, Jarod,” she soothed. “You’re very cold. But, however much you want to let yourself curl up under those lovely, warm rugs, you won't do it because you don't want to me to see just how awful you're feeling, and that's making your poor head ache even more than ever. It's started pounding terribly now, hasn't it? Just think about it, Jarod, and let yourself imagine this."

Her tones became increasingly dreamy as her hand moved in slower and gentler motions.

"In next to no time your poor, throbbing head could be lying down against the two wonderfully soft pillows and the rest of your aching body – and there isn’t one single part that’s not sore by now, is there, Jarod? - could lie down on this gloriously soft mattress. I can pull up these beautifully warm blankets over your cold body and you could finally let those poor eyelids of yours close. Then that burning you can feel behind your eyes will feel better and, as you drift off in beautiful, deep sleep, your head will stop pounding and all you have to do is lie there, sleeping yourself well again."

"I… I'm not… sick…"

He fought against the pain that she was describing so accurately, and against his own increasing desire to do as was being suggested, to admit that he was sick, to let himself to sink down onto the bed and be overwhelmed by the sleep he could feel starting to drag him down.

Sleep.

At that thought, that wonderful idea, Jarod's head lolled forward towards the flat white surface and his entire body sank in the same direction, but, with an enormous effort, he forced himself back up into a painfully upright position, still feeling that soothing, gentle touch on his hair. Jarod felt powerless to get out from under her hand. All he could manage was to try and withstand her suggestions, to ignore all she was encouraging him to do, and he shook his head slowly from side to side, both in denial at her offer and to try and clear it so he could think properly again. It was as if his mind, his ability to think, was being smothered by her calm, hypnotic tones.

Her voice, a quiet monotone, continued in his ear.

"Even if you don't want to lie down, Jarod, then you could still lie back against me. It's not quite as good, because you won't be lying down, but it allows your poor aching body to have some comfort. I could help you find that comfort, Jarod, if you let me. All you have to do is let yourself relax back against me; let your head fall back on my shoulder. I'm right here, Jarod, and it would be so easy to let it happen. I'm so close to you that all you'd have to do is relax the tiniest bit, and then I'll be holding you up and you won't have to do it anymore. I can take all the weight, and it's just getting so heavy, isn't it, Jarod? Your head feels like it's got rocks on top of it and it must be so hard for it to stay up, the way it is now. If you let it fall back, I'll be the one holding it instead of you. Wouldn't that be nice?"

His tongue seemed enormous in his mouth and his lips would hardly open but he finally managed to force out the sound.

"N…"

"No?"

The question was hardly recognizable as such, being very softly spoken and akin to the tone in which she had been speaking before and continued to use now.

"I think it must be very nice, Jarod, to lean back and lie that poor aching head of yours against my shoulder. I've got a cool, damp cloth here that I could use to wipe away the sweat that you feel on your face. Would you like me to do that, Jarod? A lovely cool piece of material, that I can put over your poor, aching eyes and you can let them close. I'm sure that it must be almost impossible to see anything now, with them so blurry, and the colored spots that appear whenever you try to focus. Why not let them shut, Jarod? Let the poor eyes of yours just slide closed. Rest your head back on my shoulder and get rid of the awful weight on your eyelids. They're so heavy now, aren't they? Almost as bad as your poor head. Just lay your head back against me, Jarod. Can you feel what my hand's doing? Let it guide your aching head so you lie back. That's a wonderful thought, isn't it? Feeling as tired as you do right now, to imagine yourself with that sore head of yours lying against my arm and the agonizing burning in your eyes fading as they close, surrounding you with darkness. Your whole body could relax, Jarod, and all the pain you feel now could disappear. Isn't that a lovely idea? And it's such an easy thing to do, too, Jarod. All you have to do is stop fighting me. Let that throbbing head of yours fall back; rest it against my shoulder. Once you’ve done that, everything will become easier, I promise. Just take that first step, Jarod. Just relax."

She felt him fight to conceal another yawn, but this wouldn't be denied, regardless of how he tried to hide it. As his mouth was forced widely open, his head fell back, and Helen was close enough that it touched her shoulder for a few brief seconds. Although he managed to lift it again almost at once, Helen's gentle yet firm touch quickly brought it back down again before he could collect the strength to keep holding it upright.

"That's right, Jarod. It wasn't so difficult, was it? Now your head won't feel sore anymore. But your poor eyes are still throbbing painfully, aren't they?"

She could now see he was blinking erratically, forcing his eyelids open each time through sheer willpower.

"Your eyes must be burning so badly. I'm sure they are and that, by now, they must be almost as bad as your head was. Although your head's feeling better now that it's resting against me, the rest of your body, while you keep it this tense, must be so very sore."

Her hand now moved to his right arm, and a finger repeatedly slid slowly down from his shoulder to where the cast stopped, halfway up his lower arm.

"If you let yourself relax, Jarod, I promise all the pain will fade. If you do it, then you can sink into a beautiful, deep sleep and you'll wake up feeling much better. When you fall asleep, I'll put your head down on the pillow and tuck the two lovely, warm blankets around you so that you don't get cold and you'll stay in this wonderfully comfortable bed until your fever's gone and you feel better. But for now, all I want you to do is relax back against me, Jarod, and let me take all the weight so you won't have to do it for yourself. You know you can trust me, Jarod, and you're safe here with me, so why do you keep fighting? All that I want to do is help you, but I can't, not unless you work with me."

She looked into his eyes, seeming to lock her gaze with his, lowering her voice to a soft and persuasive whisper.

"Just let me help you, Jarod."

Unable to break away, he finally let himself relax back against her, instantly feeling an unutterable sense of relief as the pain started to fade. Still, Jarod wasn't willing to yield completely despite the fact that his eyes, looking up into the face that she turned down to his, still throbbed agonizingly. He tried to ignore it, to ignore the things she was telling him, but now it was almost like she was in control of his very thought processes and he couldn't break away, continuing to gaze blindly up at her, despite the red haze that seemed to fill his sight and make it so hard to see.

"Good, Jarod. That's right." She reached over to the table and picked up a cloth, holding it up, so that he could see it. "Remember this? It's nice and cool and it'll be so lovely against your hot face, won't it?"

Slowly, gently, she wiped his forehead and cheeks, washing away the sweat that made his skin feel so tight and wetting his dry lips. Instinctively, Jarod swallowed, feeling how painful his throat was, before he felt that the cloth had been removed from his face and now something cold and hard was touching his bottom lip.

"It's all right, Jarod. This is water to help make your throat better. I just want you to sip it." Slowly, he drank the small amount of water in the glass and she put it back on the table, picking up the cloth again. Deliberately she folded it, placing the damp, cool material on his hot forehead.

"I know that your eyes must be very sore by now, Jarod, and I'm going to put this over them, but I don't want you to fight me."

Fight, he thought numbly, as the world went dark and the cool material provided such a wonderful relief for his sore eyes. With what? I've got no strength to fight you. Maybe you were right. Maybe I am sick. Maybe it will be easier if I just gave in, if I let her, that voice, lie me down on the bed; let her put my head down onto the pillow; let her cover me with those cozy blankets; let myself sleep. Maybe, if I do what she says I'll be able to ease the pain in my head, my eyes. Maybe darkness is better than the light. It must be. She said it would be. Does it matter? I can't see anyway, not now. Not anymore. She said that, too. Maybe I should just do what she says, just lay back in her arms, just rest. Maybe she's right…

"That's it, Jarod." She soothed. "That's right, just relax. Just let it all go. You've got nothing else to hold on for, no reason to stay awake, to think. All you've got to do is rest. It's easy. Just rest now, rest against me and I'll stay with you."

Helen moved her cool hand, placing it against his hot forehead, gently stroking now only with her fingertips.

"That's all you have to do now, Jarod. Just sleep. It's not hard, is it? All you can hear, the only thing you can even think about, is my voice so focus on that. Don't worry about anything else; just listen to it and feel my hand on your forehead. It's lovely and relaxing isn't it, Jarod, lying here, with me holding you up so you don't have to do it anymore. By now you can't even feel me here anymore, can you? Don't think about me. Think, instead, about how you feel, as if you're floating. Maybe that dream of yours has come true. Maybe you're up in the air now, flying. Don't try to focus on the things I say. Think about that dream instead and just let my words flow through you."

She could still feel tension in his body and lowered her voice yet again, making the tones in which she was speaking easier to detect than the individual words.

"Let yourself flow with them. Just sleep, Jarod. Isn't it a wonderful word: sleep? The word itself is beautiful and soothing, but the real thing is just so much better, Jarod. Sleep is a darkness that rises up, takes you lovingly in its arms like a mother, and carries you down to a nice, peaceful place where you won't have to think anymore. Let it take you, Jarod. Just sleep."

Sleep, Jarod thought drowsily. Why was that idea so bad before? It doesn't seem bad now. It even seems nice, tempting. Sleep. Why did I fight it so hard? I can't remember now. It can't have been important, or I'd have remembered. But why did I fight it before when I could have just given in to her at the start? If I had, it wouldn't hurt so badly now. I’d already be lying back against her like this and my eyes wouldn't hurt. My head wouldn't either. She said that. She was right before. She must be now, too. Next time, I won't try to deny that I'm sick. I am sick. She said so, so I must be sick. But she'll make me better. She said so. Next time I'll just relax like this, in her arms, my head against her shoulder, and let her soothe me to sleep. It won't hurt then, and I'll be able to sleep. I know she'll let me sleep. Sleep and the other thing. What was the other word she said? Mother, that was it. Maybe when I wake up next time she'll be sitting beside me, holding my hand. Mothers always care for their children when they're sick. Somehow she'll know I'm sick and come to take care of me...

Helen saw his lips move, silently forming the word 'mother' and smiled sadly. "That's right, Jarod. I'll repay the debts I owe your mother, by taking care of you now. I'll take her place and look after you until you get better. Now let the darkness come and take you away with it, Jarod. There's no need for you to try and stay awake. There'll be somebody here with you whenever you wake up, to make sure that you're okay. All you have to do is sleep. Just sleep..."

Finally Jarod's head rolled slightly towards her, lips parting with a sigh as he gave in and let the sleep overwhelm him. The last of the tension faded away, his body limp in her arms, and Helen smiled. Putting her hand on the side of his head, she supported it down to the pillow before getting up. He never moved. Putting his legs up on the bed took only a few seconds and then she pulled up the blankets to cover him, tucking them in tightly along the bottom of the mattress. As she turned, Helen jumped at the sight of Sydney in the doorway.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

The men at the head of the table watched as the man, still toting his oxygen tank, was escorted from the room by two sweepers.

"So now what?"

"I think it's time we talked with Mr. Parker's ally. Let's get his side of all this and find out what he knew about the mainframe."

"Why else would he have run?"

"Perhaps because he was scared of being implicated - as he has been - but Cox may not have been directly involved." The man nodded at the two sweepers who stood on either side of the doorway, both of whom left the room immediately.

"And if he wasn't?"

"Then we may need to look further afield."

"Such as?"

"Let's cross that bridge when we come to it, shall we?"

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Hypnosis?"

"Power of suggestion." She grinned. "Being that sick anyway, it wasn't ever going to be hard."

"Sick?" He sat down on a chair and raised a skeptical eyebrow. "You almost sent me to sleep, too, and I was even standing up!"

"Well, you didn't have to stay that way. You could have come in," Helen lowered her voice again, "sat in the chair where I am now, put your head back on the cushion and…"

"All right!" Sydney spoke sharply. "I just had proof of your powers. I don't need to be a subject of them too."

"You already were." She smiled. "I tried the same thing on you in the car and it sent you to sleep just as much as the gas did."

"And what did you give Jarod?"

"Nothing. That's pure, natural, unassisted sleep. I'll do it again if I have to, but he probably won't need it. A little reminder of the last half hour should be enough to send him under next time."

Sydney nodded. "That, of course, being the best thing for him."

"Exactly. I'll do it to Debbie if she needs it." Helen raised an eyebrow questioningly. "And also, as required, also to Miss Parker."

He shook his head, answering her unspoken question. "No, although I think she is going to get it. She said she's hasn't seen Debbie for nearly four weeks, but she's been around Broots every day and he may have given it to her. We'll have to wait and see. But she doesn't have it yet."

"So her nap earlier...?"

"...was just that - a nap. I think that, by making her do nothing all morning, you've soothed her into it. Usually she's running on adrenaline all day. That’s unnecessary here so she's relaxing instead. Relaxing and sleeping."

"Good." Helen nodded definitively. "With any luck, that might build up her immune system enough that she won't have it too badly."

"That's what I was hoping as well." Sydney glanced over at her. "Should we give her some sort of dietary addition - vitamins perhaps?"

"No." Helen shook her head. "We don't have long enough to get the doses right. I think we should go with what's happening now and, when she gets it, hope that it's not too severe."

# # #


Going into the other bedroom, she found Broots asleep in the armchair in the corner, and Debbie lying on her back, gazing up at the ceiling. Helen walked over to the bed and sat next to the little girl. As she reached out a hand and put it on her forehead, Debbie's eyes filled with tears and she tried to sit up.

"It's okay, sweetie." She let the girl snuggle against her shoulder and the felt first of the tears run down onto her shirt. "Are you feeling worse, baby?"

"Uh huh." The girl's voice was a whisper. "I feel awful, Mommy."

"Why didn't you tell your Daddy? Then he'd have told me, and I could have given you a nice drink to make it better."

"He's asleep and I didn't want to wake him up."

"He'd want you to wake him up, Debbie, if you felt really sick. Neither of us wants you to stay sick for long."

The girl began to sob quietly, her face pressed up against Helen's neck and her hot breath on the woman's skin. Gently Helen stroked the back of her head.

"Debbie, try not to cry, baby. If you do, it’ll only make you worse and make your head hurt more. And I think it's already pretty sore, isn't it?"

Nodding, the girl lifted her head and wiped the back of her hand across her face, sniffing. Helen gently stroked the small head, at the same time reaching out for a measuring glass that she had earlier prepared. She held the glass, full of the pale liquid, to the girl's lips.

"Here, Debbie, this will help you feel a lot better. Just sip it."

Slowly the girl swallowed the contents of the glass and Helen put it back down on the table before picking up a damp cloth and gently wiping Debbie's face.

"Was that nice, baby?"

"Uh huh." There was a small smile on the girl's face as she lay back against Helen with her eyes closed. "Like honey."

"Yes, there's a lot of honey in it," the doctor agreed with a smile. "I thought you'd like honey, so I put some in, just for you."

The eyes that Debbie opened were glittering with fever. "Did you make it?"

"I sure did. It will make you feel less hot and stop you from coughing." She smiled and swept the hair away from the girl's face. "I know something else you'd like to have, too."

"Mmm?" The girl's eyelids were drooping again.

"I think you'd love some sleep right now, wouldn't you, Debbie?" She stroked the girl's head again in slow, regular movements. "You just close your eyes, sweetie, and relax. I'll stay right here, and take care of you but now you just lie back and let your tired eyes close. That's right."

Helen felt as the small body snuggled closer to her, Debbie's head lying on her shoulder, her arms loosely linked around Helen's neck, and the rest of her body curled up in the doctor's lap. Picking up the rug that folded on the end of the bed, Helen covered the girl. Debbie gave a little shiver and then tightened her hold around Helen's neck briefly before she relaxed, lips parting in a quiet sigh. The doctor waited for a moment before standing up and putting the girl down on the bed, covering her up and tucking in the blankets firmly. Turning, she saw Broots watching her.

"You're really good at that."

Helen smiled at the balding man. "I've been doing this for while now. Besides, all kids are the same when they're sick, and," she added with a grin, "so are all adults."

Broots' lips twitched, his eyes registering his instant comprehension. "He's a bit difficult, huh?"

"Just so as you'd notice, yes. He tried to deny that he was sick. I managed to persuade him that he is."

"And is he bad?"

"Well, measles in an adult is more dangerous than in a child but, with lots of time in bed and the right care, he should be fine."

"And Miss Parker?"

"She hasn't got it yet, but I expect that you'll have been generous and provided her with a case of it. She said she hadn't seen Debbie for a while, so if she comes down with it sooner than we expected, we can blame you."

"Gee, thanks." Broots laughed. "Well, as long as you don't tell her it was me..."

"You're not… scared, are you, Broots?"


"Me?" He tried to look indignant. "Never!"

"No, of course not." Helen picked up the bottle of medicine and poured some of it into the glass, putting the lid back on and placing the glass within easy reach.

"I wish my doctors had put honey into my medicine when I was sick."

She grinned. "Like Sydney said, I'm considerate."

"So what did you add to Jarod's?"

"Well, I had thought about adding PEZ but they don't seem to make that in liquid form yet. No, his is honey as well."

"I thought you might go for something extravagant like chocolate or something."

"I think we'll skip the caffeine in chocolate. He needs sleep, not a wake-up call."

"Talking of which, will it put them to sleep?"

"Like with most cough syrup, it contains a very mild sedative but it's more to relax the throat, thus reducing the feeling of needing to cough, than actually send a person to sleep. When it combines with a high fever, it's conducive to sleep, but later, when they're getting better, we'll either have to use something else or else let Mother Nature do it all."

"Or you could just talk to them," interrupted another voice from the doorway. "It's pretty effective."

"He's still out?"

"Like the proverbial light." Sydney smiled. "Emily's going to stay there while I get dinner."

Helen stood up. "I'll give you a hand with that after I've checked on Miss Parker."

The psychiatrist tried to look offended. "You don't trust my diagnosis?

"I did at the time, but these things develop so fast that she could be showing signs now that she didn't have before or that you might have missed, like Koplik spots." Helen laughed a somewhat abashed look appeared on the psychiatrist's face. "If it would help, I could lend you my big book of childhood diseases so that you can do a little revision, Sydney..."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"So we have another day of questioning to look forward to tomorrow."

"Unfortunately."

The first man grinned, running a hand through his red hair. "You haven't enjoyed watching them sweat? What a disappointment. I thought you would have loved every moment!"

"If we were getting anywhere," the second man growled, "I might, but we seem to be beating our heads against a brick wall."

"Well," the third man interrupted, leaning back in his chair with both hands linked behind his head. "Why don't we see how a night of hunger and interrupted sleep affects them? If that fails, we can always use another form of… incentive."

"Do you think they're really as ignorant of what happened as they seem?"

"I think Mr. Parker has some information that he's not willing to reveal. When we find out what it is, then we might have the answer. How's the rebuilding going?"

"Slowly. After all, we've been building the old one for almost fifty years. If we could get access to the existing material, we might have a hope of rescuing some of the data, but it's impossible. All of our old experiments and simulations..."

The first man ground his teeth angrily. "When I find out exactly who's to blame for this, they'll wish they'd never been born."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Miss Parker?" Helen tapped gently on the closed door of the bedroom, and a sound from within encouraged her to push it open. The woman looked up at her drowsily, lying against a mound of pillows.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?"

"No, I woke up about five minutes ago. I was just..."

"Mooching?"

The brunette smiled. "Anything's possible."

"Do you want something for dinner?"

"Who's cooking?"

"Sydney, why? Would that make a difference?"

"If it was you, I'd be a lot more cautious."

Helen gave her a look of mock-sorrow. "Nobody trusts me anymore." Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a small object. "Open up."

"Sydney did this already."

"I know, earlier. I want to make sure that you're not pulling a similar stunt to that which Jarod did before so we'll do it several times each day."

The woman raised an eyebrow, but opened her mouth, and let the doctor place the thermometer under her tongue. Helen picked up the woman's wrist and timed her pulse before removing the instrument, reading it, and then turning on the bright overhead light. Miss Parker looked up at her curiously.

"Now what?"

"A few days before people show other signs, they often have white spots in their cheeks. That's what I want to look for now."

Miss Parker nodded and raised her head. After a few minutes of careful examination, the doctor stepped back.

"Passed with a clean bill of health - for now. But I want to know right away if you feel different from normal. And we'll still keep up the program of relaxation, I think."

"Do you think I'm going to get it?"

Helen sat down in the chair opposite. "Unless your immune system has an innate immunity to it, I think it’s likely. Some people are born with their own natural vaccines, but we'll have to wait and see. You've been exposed to Jarod and Debbie, both of whom are now sick..."

"And Broots at work."

"Exactly, although he was hoping you wouldn't think of that."

"What's he scared of?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Helen grinned. "You of course. The way you usually are at work anyway. Broots hasn't had a chance to see the relaxed, non-sleep-deprived you."

"I think he'll get that chance. We'll be here for a while, right?"

"Minimum of a week, yes. It's going to be that at least long before Jarod and Debbie are no longer infectious."

"And then..."

"Knowing the way these things usually happen, you'll probably get it on the last day of them being sick." Helen rolled her eyes and laughed. "I once treated a family of six kids, all of whom got it on the very last day that the one before was considered infectious. Their poor mother didn't leave the house for five weeks, and I was there almost every day."

"Now you know why I didn't study medicine." Miss Parker grinned. "But I honestly think that I still get less sleep than most other doctors I know."

"Maybe I can teach you a few methods of getting around that."

"I've had other people try..."

"And you probably resisted them every step of the way. Those things will only work if the person lets them."

Miss Parker raised an eyebrow. "How is that you know so much about me, about all of us?"

Helen smiled. "Miss Parker, I've been coming into the Centre for almost six years now. Don't you think I'd have a good idea of people's quirks after all this time?"

"Okay, good point." The woman looked up. "Have you only hunted for information about Jarod and his family, or more?"

"Well, they were my primary focus, but there's a lot of scientific research going on that interested me too."

"They won't be doing that anymore."

"That's questionable, Miss Parker. Whenever Mr. Parker finally admits to information being stolen from his office, the Triumvirate will find that he has records for a lot of experiments they're mourning right now."

"But the results are wrong."

Helen laughed. "They don't know that, do they? They'll either test it all again and get wonderfully confused or else sell what they've got and make some rather big enemies."

"In other words..."

"I think you're probably about to become unemployed. Sorry."

"Remind me to get angry about that later, will you?" the other woman suggested, laughing.

Helen got up, grinning. "Too much trouble now?"

"Pretty much, yes."

"I'll see what I can do. Want to come up and watch us make dinner?"

"Sounds good."

# # #


"Mommy?"

"Yes, Debbie?"

"Where's Daddy?"

Helen sat down on the bed beside the little girl and began to stroke her forehead, letting the child rest her head against the woman's leg. "He's gone to get ready for bed, sweetie. But he'll come to give you a kiss goodnight before he goes to sleep. He said he would."

"And when are you going to bed?"

The doctor smiled. "You're in my bed, baby, remember?"

Debbie giggled softly. "So will you sleep in my bed?"

"No, it's too far away from you, all the way down there. I'll stay up here."

"Is somebody else sick, too?"

"Why do you ask, sweetie?"

"Well, you were in here a lot and then you went away and didn't come back for a long time. And I thought I heard somebody coughing."

"Did you miss me, honey?"

"A bit." She smiled sleepily. "But who's sick?"

"Jarod. You gave him the measles when he came to your house two weeks ago."

"I thought only kids got the measles."

"No, grown ups can get it too." She smiled. "If you wake up during the night and I don't come over to the bed right away, I'll be with Jarod, okay? If it's important, you can call out to me and I'll come or else Emily will."

"Uh huh." The girl closed her eyes and took a firmer hold on the hand that Helen had slipped into hers earlier. "Is Daddy coming soon?"

"Yes, he is." The man himself spoke from the doorway. "I'm right here, baby."

"Are you going to bed now?" The little girl looked up at him, her head still lying on Helen's leg.

The man raised and eyebrow. "Do you want me to stay here with you?"

"No, it's okay." She smiled drowsily. "Mommy said she'd stay."

Broots glanced at Helen. "I've just been supplanted?"

"Looks that way."

Grinning, he bent over to kiss his daughter and returned the weak hug she gave him. "If you want me, Debbie, tell Helen and she'll come and get me, okay?"

"Uh huh." She gave another sleepy smile and closed her eyes again. He stood beside the bed for moment longer, watching her, before looking at Helen.

"You will call me...?"

"Broots, I'm a doctor. I know when I kid needs their parents. Trust me."

"Last time I might have done that, I found myself unconscious in the back seat of your car."

She laughed. "I thought that was all forgiven."

He grinned. "Forgiven, yes, but not forgotten. I'll drag it out from time to time."

"I bet you will." She hid a smile as he turned to the door. "Good night."

# # #


Checking that Debbie was asleep, Helen slipped from the room and went into the one next door. Silently pushing open the door, she found Emily leaning over her brother, apparently engaged in a softly spoken argument.

"What's going on?"

Emily turned with an expression of relief. "He's being stubborn."

"He's your brother, Em. What else would he be?" Disregarding the indignant look on her friend's face, she turned to the bed to find her patient trying to sit up, his eyes glittering with fever and a bright red spot on either cheek. "What is it, Jarod?"

His voice was a rasp. "I want to… get up…"

She glanced at Emily. "Can you go in to Debbie? This may take a while."

Emily rolled her eyes, heading for the door. "She has to be the easier patient."

"That definitely could be possible." Helen sat beside Jarod but he didn't even cast a glance in her direction as his eyes darted around the room, apparently focusing on things that she couldn't see. The doctor leaned forward, speaking firmly. "Tell me why do you want to get up?"

"I can't… stay in bed… the Centre…"

"Jarod, look at me. Come on, make the effort."

Eventually he managed to focus on her face. "H… Helen?"

"You're safe, Jarod. The Centre won't find you while you're with me." She lifted one hand, gently stroking the side of his face. "Do you believe me?"

He relaxed at the touch, sinking back against the pillow, before a vague memory returned. "Were you here… before…?"

"Yes," she smiled understandingly. "I was."

"And… can I...?"

Changing her position slightly, she was ready for him, with some difficulty, to pull himself up into a sitting position. Gently, she guided his head so it rested on her shoulder, one hand under his arm, against his chest, supporting him, and the other stroking the top of his head.

"That's right, Jarod." Her voice was lowered again to the quiet tones. "You're safe with me. Don't think about that anymore, just think about being here, being in bed and letting yourself relax."

"Helen?" His voice was soft, almost childish.

"Yes, Jarod?"

"Is my Mom coming to see me?"

For several seconds, the woman struggled to think of an answer, wishing that she could give him the one he had hoped to hear. Finally an alternative presented itself; one that she seized eagerly. "You can dream she's with you, Jarod. Dream that she's sitting next to you as you sleep. Imagine her sitting here, holding your hand."

A small smile appeared on his face as he began to relax against her and, despite having his eyes closed, he spoke again. "I'm sick, aren't I?"

"Yes, Jarod." She spoke softly. "Yes, you are sick."

"So I should stay in bed?"

"That's right. You should stay lying down in bed and sleep."

"Do I have to…?" He broke off to yawn, nestling closer to her. "If you're here with me, do I have to stay lying down? Can I sit up instead?"

"You mean like this?"

"Mmm hmm." He nodded drowsily, looking up at her out of glazed, sleepy eyes, still with the small smile on his face, his voice childish once more. "It's nice."

"If you try to sleep, Jarod." Her voice lowered further. "You can lie like this, against my shoulder, if you try to sleep."

Jarod nodded again, turning his face in to her neck and closing his eyes again. Sleep, he thought. Yes, I can sleep. She told me to. She wants me to. I can't hear what she's saying anymore, but it doesn't matter. I'm safe, with her. She said that too. I don't have to do anything, to help anyone. I can just lie here and rest. That's all I want to do. I don't want to get up. I can stay here for as long as I want, until I feel better. Just being like this makes me feel better. I'll tell her that. Not now. It's too nice to move, right now. I won't tell her now. But I'll tell her that some time. Now I just want to lie here and listen to her voice, feeling safe. I can't remember the last time I felt like this, this safe. Maybe it was when I was little. Maybe it was with Sydney. It doesn't matter. I can think about that later, tomorrow. Maybe Sydney will be here when I wake up too. I thought he was here before. It doesn't matter if he was. I can always dream that he's here, that he's taking care of me. To dream it, I need to sleep. What did she say about sleep? It's a darkness coming down to take me with it. Taking me somewhere I don't have to think anymore. I don't want to think. Thinking's too hard. I'll just relax, let her words flow around me and maybe they'll take me away, too. Just relax... sleep...
Part 6 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 6



Ashe, New York
Jarod's eyes slowly opened and traveled over the ceiling. He was lying down in bed again. Helen must have put his head back down on the pillow after he fell asleep. He couldn't remember doing that, but it must have happened, if all this was real. Was it real or just a dream? He couldn't really tell. Glancing around again, he saw the man sitting in the chair in the corner. Drowsily, he watched as the psychiatrist stood up and walked over to the bed, sitting down on the edge of it and placing one hand gently on the side of his head, as Helen had done.

"How are you feeling, Jarod?"

He swallowed several times, licking his lips to moisten then. "A... are you real?"

Sydney smiled. "Yes, Jarod, I am real."

"I'm not... dreaming?"

"No, you're awake. You had a lovely, long night's sleep, and now you're awake just in time to have some of the medicine that Helen made for you."

He picked up the glass and, using his other hand to support Jarod's head, watched as the man drank the contents. The younger man smiled faintly as he swallowed the dose.

"It's nice."

"That's good, Jarod. Now just close your eyes and try to sleep again."

"Where's… Helen?"

"She's in with Debbie right now. She'll come in and see you later but I'll stay here until she does."

"Are you here... because I'm sick?"

"That's right, Jarod. And I'll stay here with you until you feel better, I promise."

"Where's... Em?"

"She's gone to bed, Jarod. She needs some sleep too, after staying here with you all night."

He nodded slightly and let his eyelids fall, feeling Sydney's hand gently stroke his hair. Gradually Jarod could feel the peace that crept in on him from all sides and he relaxed into it.

# # #


"Here, baby." Helen held the glass of medicine to the little girl's lips, watching as she drank it. "Good girl, Debbie. Very good."

"Mommy?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Can I always call you that?"

"If you want to, Debbie, yes you can."

The girl turned slightly so her face was pressed into Helen's neck. "And will you come live with Daddy and me?"

Helen's eyes widened momentarily. "Well," she hazarded. "We'll see."

"I want you to," the girl murmured softly, her eyelids falling shut. "I want my mom at home with me again."

For a moment, Helen closed her own eyes, feeling her emotions rise, and remembering when, at about Debbie's age, she had asked same thing of one of the nuns. And she could remember, several years later, wishing that the wonderful philosophy teacher could be her mother. The woman’s face came into her mind, along with her son's whispered plea from earlier that morning. Straightening her shoulders, Helen gently put the sleeping girl back against the pillow and stood up. Out of respect for the woman's privacy and regardless of her own keen desire, Helen hadn't even considered trying to find her but she would now. Now she would search for her, bring her to the house and have her sitting beside Jarod's bed when he woke up, with the added benefit that she could spend more time with Debbie. There were only several hundred million people in America. How long could it honestly take? She knew what the woman would be doing, and even possibly the name that she would be doing it under. Seizing the computer, she began searching.

# # #


"Morning, Helen."

She glanced up to find Broots in the doorway and smiled. "How did you sleep?"

"Better than you did, I'll bet."

"That's a pretty accurate statement." Helen grinned. "T-Board just started."

"Who?"

"Cox. They used Mr. Parker to get information about his accomplice so now they're turning the tables."

"And?"

"He's spilling his guts. I think he considers it revenge. The only thing that he's still not told them so far is that he was responsible for Lyle's death. Oh, and he hasn't mentioned the robbery either, but I don't know if he knows about it."

Broots grinned. "We've got an entertaining few hours ahead then."

"Sure do. I saved it on your computer so you can watch it whenever you want."

"Thanks, Helen." He looked down. "How's Debbie?"

"As well as I could reasonably expect her to be. I gave her another dose about an hour ago, so her temperature's down right now and she slept well all night."

"Good." He watched as Helen closed her laptop and got out of the chair. "I really appreciate this, Helen. I hope you know that."

She smiled. "It's no trouble, Broots. Really. I like it."

# # #


Maverick, Connecticut
Helen stopped outside the house and sat looking at it through the windshield for a few long moments. She could hardly believe it: she actually felt nervous. It was such a ridiculous thing to be feeling, but she was. Reaching for the door handle, Helen was about to open it when the cell phone lying on the passenger seat rang.

"Hello?"

"Helen, where are you?"

She grinned. "Considering you don't know where you are, Sydney, there wouldn't be a lot of point in me telling you where I am, would there now?"

"All right, what are you doing, wherever you are? I thought that we were all supposed to be under quarantine restrictions."

"You are. As the doctor, I don't have to be. You should know that." The sound of quiet laughter on the other end of the line made her grin. "Don't worry, Sydney. I'll be back in a few hours, before the day shift's over anyway. Maybe even in time to get some sleep myself."

"And you're up to driving?"

"If I wasn't, I wouldn't be doing it. I wouldn't risk either my life or that of others by doing something that stupid. Don't worry, Sydney. Or, if you find that you have to, worry about Jarod instead. I'll be fine."

He laughed again. "Yes, Doctor."

As she disconnected the call, Helen saw a car pull up in the driveway and caught her breath as a familiar figure stepped out of it, collecting several books before walking to the house. For several minutes Helen froze in her seat, unable to move, but as the door shut behind the woman, Helen broke out of her reverie and got out of the car. Nervously she walked up the path, trying to control the trembling in her fingers as she pressed the doorbell.

"Miss Taylor?"

Helen broke the silence that had started when the woman opened the door and she watched as the woman blinked for the first time in several minutes.

"H… Helen?"

"I hope you don't mind me intruding on you like this."

"I… I can't believe it." Margaret stared in disbelief at the slender figure. "How in heaven’s name did you manage to track me down? Even the Centre hasn't done that in almost a year."

"And they definitely won't do it now." Helen grinned. "I know your current job finished today, so do you have an objection to me 'borrowing' you?"

"For what purpose?"

"I've got a couple of people who would love to see you."

"Oh, really?" Margaret raised one eyebrow and looked suspiciously at her former student. "That's the same tone of voice you used once when you wanted to hand in an essay late. What aren't you telling me?"

"Couldn't you just trust me, ma'am?"

"No. I'm not good at trusting people, Helen. Even you. Not anymore."

Helen took out Miss Parker's pursuit photo of Jarod, which she had taken earlier that day, and held it up in front of the older woman. "Anything about that face strike you as even vaguely familiar?"

Grinning, Helen watched as tears came into Margaret's eyes and heard her gasp as she stared at the image. Her voice, when she finally managed to speak, was a faint whisper "You know where my son is?"

"Right now, lying in bed and, with any luck, sleeping."

"What?"

"He got the measles from another patient who's at my house. He asked me this morning if his mom was coming to see him and I thought it was time I tracked you down. It took a few hours but, obviously, I did it."

The woman gingerly took the photo from Helen's hand and, almost disbelieving, touched the face with a gentle finger. "And… it's really him?"

"Well, Emily said it was."

Margaret looked up sharply. "She's there, too?"

"We've been friends for a year now. She ended up at the place we first met." The doctor waved in the direction of her car. "Why don't I tell you the rest on the way?"

# # #


New York
"He might not believe that you're really there, Miss Taylor."

"Helen, if you call me that once more, I'll push you out of the car."

The younger woman laughed. "How can I possibly call my former teacher by her first name?"

"Would you like me to call you by your surname?"

"No, please, anything but that!"

Margaret smiled. "Then stop it."

"Yes, ma'am."

"As for what you were saying before, he'll know me though, right?"

"Definitely. He's got a pretty high fever - the measles will do that to people - and I told him before I made the decision to come and find you that he should dream you were there, meaning that he'll probably think that's what happening. But as his temperature goes down he'll know it's no dream." Helen grinned. "And I've got no doubt Emily will know who you are right away."

"But he's not too sick, right? I mean, he won't..."

"I'd be surprised if he had more than just a high fever and a couple of the other nasties that go along with the measles. He's a strong, fit man and that's helping."

Margaret nodded and half-smiled. "I was worried when I got that a few years ago, but now I'm glad I did."

"Worried?" Helen glanced over at the woman. "Why?"

"It's hard to run when walking seems impossible."

"That's true. Well, you don't have to worry about that now. Oh, but I guess I should mention one or two little things before we get there."

Margaret's voice was immediately filled with tension. "Such as?"

"Uh, in no particular order, Sydney, Miss Parker and Mr. Broots."

"What?" The older woman stared at the driver. "Why is the pursuit team there?"

"I abducted Sydney, Broots and his daughter a few days before Jarod arrived at the house. After Lyle died..."

"He's dead?"

"Yes, he was killed a few days ago."

"K… killed?"

"His father believed Lyle knew too much and had him assassinated. We rescued Miss Parker just in time to prevent her from being next on the hit list."

"So… they're not… they won't…?"

"Margaret, I wouldn't be bringing you here if I felt that there was the smallest risk of them doing it. Right now, they're as much in danger from the Centre as we are. I told you about the mainframe disaster. Believe me, they're very different people from those you might expect. Broots is worried about Debbie, Sydney's worried about Jarod and Miss Parker is waiting to get sick. She's the only person at the house who hasn't had the measles so we're waiting for her to come down with it as well."

"Why don't you just open a hospital there?"

Turning into her street, Helen grinned. "Trust me, I've thought about it."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen opened the door, watching Emily stir something on the stove. "Early dinner or late lunch?"

Emily spun around and then grinned. "Do you mind not scaring me out of twenty years' growth?"

"That would make you Jarod's big sister instead of his little one. Not to mention that it would make you your mother's oldest child instead of her baby girl."

The woman's face became slightly wistful. "Yeah, I guess it might be nice."

"I wouldn't want to lose my baby, Emily," Margaret stated.

The spoon fell from the woman's hand as she stared at the figure that moved in to the doorway, and then Emily threw herself at her mother. With a laugh, Helen started to clean up the mess, turning to see Sydney standing in the doorway.

"What on earth...?"

"I thought I'd give Emily a pleasant surprise." Helen grinned. "I tracked her down this morning." She threw the paper towel in the bin. "How's Jarod?"

"Sleeping right now. I gave him some medicine about twenty minutes ago, so his fever's down, and I decided to take advantage of it to make some coffee for both Broots and I."

"You do that. I'll slip up and check on him."

Opening the door, she stepped across to the bed and looked down to see a faint smile on Jarod's face. For several minutes, she silently watched him sleep, about to leave again when he opened his eyes and looked at her. Seating herself on the bed, Helen helped him to sit up and lean back against her, stroking his hair.

"What were you dreaming about, Jarod?"

"Mom." He closed his eyes as if wanting to return to the dream. "I thought she was here with me, holding me like you are now."

Helen glanced up in time to see the door open and the woman enter, hesitating on the threshold. Smiling, Helen nodded and Margaret moved over to sit down on the bed.

"Open your eyes, Jarod."

"You're always telling me to close them."

She laughed softly. "I know, but now I want you to open them, just for a moment."

"Really?"

"I think you'll want to see this."

He hesitated briefly before his eyes opened, dreamily gazing the woman in front of him, and his smile was faint. "I went back to sleep fast, huh?"

"Yes, Jarod." Margaret's voice was soft and, as she pronounced his name, tears glittered in her eyes. "Yes, you did."

"Stay with me, Mom. Please. Don't vanish when I wake up."

Placing one hand on his, she smiled. "I promise, Jarod. I'll still be here when you wake up again.”

"That'd be nice." His voice was a murmur as his eyes closed, unable to stay open any longer, and Helen felt him relax against her. Smiling, she looked up.

"I told you he'd know who you were."

Margaret nodded, a tear trickling down her cheek as she looked at her sleeping son face, lying against Helen's shoulder.

# # #


Yawning, Helen opened her eyes to find Sydney standing beside the bed.

"I didn't want to have to wake you, but you did tell me to."

"Lucky I did it for you then." She grinned. "My internal clock's pretty accurate."

"Are you sure you don't want me to sit with Debbie so you can sleep for a little bit longer?"

"Thanks, Sydney, but it's fine. How's Jarod?"

"He hasn't woken since he saw his mother." There was a faint smile on the psychiatrist’s face and Helen glanced at him sharply.

"You're not jeal…?"

"No, Helen." He sat down on the bed. "No, if it helps him to get better faster with her here, that's all that matters."

"Sure?"

"Yes."

"And how's Debbie?"

"Better after her last dose of medicine but she was pretty feverish before that."

"And Miss Parker?"

"I examined her an hour ago before sending her to bed and she's fine."

Helen sat up, grinning. "Well, thank you for your end-of-shift report, Doctor. I'll let you get some sleep yourself now."

He laughed and touched her hand for a moment. "Have a good night, Helen."

# # #


She softly opened the door to the first bedroom and slipped inside, smiling at the woman who sat in the chair.

"How's he doing?"

"You're the doctor, Helen. I'm just a teacher, remember?"

"You're his mother, Margaret. That makes a difference."

"He's slept since he saw me."

"Yes," Helen agreed with a smile. "He feels even safer, knowing you're here as well, and his subconscious doesn't feel the need to keep waking him. It's the best thing for him right now. He'll recover much faster. But he needs his medicine too. Want to give it to him?"

"You do it."

Understanding, she nodded. "No problem." Going over, she sat beside the sick man and gently shook him. "Jarod, I need you to wake up now."

"Mom?"

Seeing the expression on Margaret's face, Helen smiled. "She's here too, Jarod, but this is Helen and I need you to open your eyes for me."

His lashes fluttered and then lifted, glaring at her. "It's not good to tease sick people, Helen."

His voice cracked as he said her name, and, as he coughed, Jarod tried to roll over, but his strength failed. She helped him to sit up, supporting him until the fit was over. At last, he lay back against her shoulder, his face white and eyes closed as he drank the medicine. After he finished, she spoke.

"How was I teasing you, Jarod?"

"Saying that… about Mom…"

"One of these days somebody will going to have to try trusting me." Helen made her voice more persuasive. "Why don't you be that person, Jarod? I wouldn't say it, not if it wasn't really true, and definitely not after all this time."

Glancing over at the woman, Helen nodded and Margaret stood, coming to sit on the bed.

"When you open your eyes,” the doctor continued. “If she's sitting on the bed in front of you, will you believe me, that she's really here? You're chest's still sore with coughing so that will tell you it's not a dream."

"Okay." His voice was weak and he paused. "I can't..."

"I did say you had to open your eyes, Jarod."

He nodded, smiling faintly, and slowly his eyelids opened. For several seconds, he stared at the woman who was sitting in front of him before his eyes widened.

"M… Mom?"

There was an air of incredulity in his whisper, as if Helen had somehow stages it all. Feeling the weight of the cast on his right hand, Jarod raised the left one and tentatively reached out to the woman who sat with tears in her eyes, smiling at him. Gently she covered his hand with her own and replaced it on the bed before using her other hand to touch his cheek.

"It's all right, Jarod. I'm here now."

"B… but how…?"

"Helen came and found me, Jarod. She told me you were sick."

Suddenly, in concern, Helen saw tears in the man's eyes, his smile vanishing, to be replaced by a look of worry.

"What is it, Jarod?" Despite her anxiety, Helen kept her voice soft. "Tell us what's wrong."

"Y…you'll go…” he stammered, in panicked tones, “when I sleep..."

"No, Jarod." Margaret shook her head, leaning closer to him. "No, I promise that I won't go while you're asleep. I'll be right here."

Feeling Jarod tense, Helen resumed the stroking of his hair that she had stopped while he spoke with his mother. Lowering her voice to that soft, hypnotic murmur once more, she began to softly speak reassurances in his ear.

"Jarod, I promise you that she'll still be here when you wake up. She won't leave you until you get better. You know you can believe me when I say tell you. I was right about you being sick, wasn't I, and I'm right about this too. She and Sydney are going to take care of you, and they'll both stay until you're well again. Every time you wake up from now on, one or other will be sitting here with you, beside you. You'll still have to sleep though, Jarod. You can't get well if you don't sleep, and then we'll all worry about you. You can still feel your mother there, next to you, holding your hand. It's better than it was in the dreams, isn't it Jarod? You know she's really there and that makes it a lot better. After you dream about her, then you can open your eyes and see her too, feel her. But you have to sleep too. Just relax now, Jarod. Sleep."

Sleep, he thought, dreamily gazing at the woman on the bed next to him. Sleep and mother. They went together before. They must go together now too. Maybe, if I don't sleep now, then I'll get too sick to know she's there. But she will be. She said so. Helen said so too and she was right before. She knew what I was thinking before, last time, so she probably knows what I'm thinking now, as well, knows how tired I feel, how heavy my eyelids are...

"Close your eyes, Jarod. You can't sleep if you don't close them and they'll be just as sore as they were last time if you fight to keep them open. Remember how terribly painful they were, throbbing and with such heavy eyelids? You don't want it to happen again, do you? Just let them close and remember that your mother will still be here, still beside you. She's not going anywhere. I promise she won't and I keep my promises. But you have to close your eyes."

Yes, he thought sleepily. I remember how much it hurt then, and when I closed my eyes, it didn't hurt anymore. And she says it’ll happen again if I leave them open. I don't want that. I can still feel that Mom's here, still holding my hand, and her hand’s resting on my cheek. When I open my eyes, she'll still be there. Helen said that before, and she's always right. But now I'll close them. I'll close them and relax. This is even nicer than it was before. Now I'm safe. Safe... mother... sleep...

Helen gently lowered the sleeping man’s body back onto the bed and covered him, tucking in the blankets before she looked at Margaret. The woman had retreated to the chair and sat silently looking down at her son. Seeing the expression of concern in her eyes, Helen went over and sat in the chair next to her.

"It's all right. It's natural for him to feel like that."

"How?" The older woman's eyes were wide. "I'm here, in front of him, holding his hand. Why can't he feel that? Why can't he believe that I won't leave?"

"Margaret, the last time that he saw you was almost five years ago." She stressed the time. "And, when that happened, it was a Centre trap and you had to run. The fever is confusing his thinking, and he believes you're going to have to disappear like that again. He won't feel like that when he gets over the fever and is more awake, more alert, but for now it's all he can understand."

"So we'll have to do that… every time he wakes up...?"

"No, I don't think so. It won't be exactly the same anyway. Each time that he finds you beside him, he'll be more easily convinced that you really won't leave. He's more alert in the mornings - that's normal with any sort of fever - so he'll be able to believe it more easily then, too. He's been a little better each night so far and I wouldn't expect tomorrow to be any different. Besides we can easily calm him down whenever he feels like that again. Being so unwell, he can't move around enough to do any damage and with you in front of his eyes he won't really want to either." Helen glanced up in time to see the door open the door and Emily come into the room. Smiling, she stood up. "I'll be right next door, all night. If anything happens, you can come and get me."

Margaret nodded slowly and Emily slipped into the chair beside her, reaching out to put one hand over that of her mother in a gesture of reassurance. Silently, Helen left the room, closing the door behind her, and entered the room next door.

"Sorry to take so long."

Broots glanced up with a smile and closed the laptop. "No problem, Helen. How's Jarod?"

"A little feverish still, but not bad. I understand Debbie was, too."

"Since she had her most recent dose of medicine, she's been better."

"I'm glad to hear it." Helen reached into her pocket and pulled out two cloth items, putting them on the bedside table.

"What are they?" the man asked curiously.

"Scratch prevention." She laughed softly, gently turned the head of the girl to one side. Brushing aside the hair, she showed Broots the brighter pink of the skin behind Debbie's ears. "I thought it was about time the rash started and it looks like I was right."

"And it'll be itchy?"

"Can't you remember from when you had the measles?"

"Not really." Broots grinned. "It was quite a while ago."

"Well, it itches like crazy. I've got some cream as well, but I don't want her to rub her skin raw so I asked Miss Parker and Emily to run up several pairs today with my sewing machine. I've got sets for the two definite patients as well as for Miss Parker, all in different colors."

"Very organized of you." He watched as she slipped the first one on Debbie's left hand and did up the soft drawstring. "Will she be able to undo them?"

"Unless she gets going with her teeth, no. And I think we'd spot that before she got them undone. Besides, until that fever goes away, she'll hardly notice." Helen put on the other bag and did it up. Glancing up, she smiled. "Were you planning to go to bed tonight, Broots, or did you want to stay up?"

"Is that a subtle hint?"

"Not at all. If you want to stay up, go for it. I don't mind."

"I might. She's been kind of clingy today." He looked up at her. "She was missing you, I think."

Helen sat down on the end of the bed, facing him, and spoke hesitantly. "Broots, if you don't want her to get too attached to me, I'll make sure she doesn't."

"It's not that." He spoke hurriedly. "I don't mind that she calls you 'mommy' or any of that. I really don't. I just hate the thought that another mother's going leave her again, as soon as we can go home."

The doctor nodded. "I know. But she's only like this now because she's feeling so sick. Sick kids always want their mothers and I'm filling that gap right now. Things could change when she gets better."

"And if they don't?"

"Well," Helen smiled. "I'm in Blue Cove pretty often. I could always come to visit."

"You'll still keep stealing from the Centre, despite the fact that it's pretty well non-existent now?"

"Oh it's not." She grinned. "Despite what I said to Miss Parker earlier about losing her job, I doubt she will. Jarod's just as important to the Triumvirate as he's ever been. They need people to hunt for him. As soon as I 'let you go', I'm sure they'll be pleased to have you back."

"But what about Mr. Parker and Cox? Oh, and Raines?"

"What normally happens when they get pulled up in front of a T-Board? They get told off and life goes on. I think it will in this case too." Helen leaned forward. "The Triumvirate wants information about a lot of projects and, as a lot of it's inside the heads of those men they're questioning, they won't do much until they retrieve it all."

"And after that?"

She grinned. "That will depend on how important those three men can persuade the Triumvirate they actually are."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"A theft?" The man raised his eyes as the interrogation room door shut behind the last sweeper. "Interesting what you have to do to a person before they can remember a little thing like that."

"Who would it have been?"

The first man raised an amused eyebrow. "I think I can guess."

"Oh, really?" The third man looked at him. "Want to let us in on the secret?"

"We've had a series of reported thefts in this place since early 1996." Rising from his chair, the man started to pace the room. "If we had access to the mainframe, I'd show you some of the DSAs..."

"But we don't, we know. So you'll have to tell us."

"A woman's been sneaking in and out of the Centre, taking files and DSAs. She's obviously very well aware of what she wants because her visits usually only last for about fifteen minutes, from the time of entry."

"Do we know anything about this woman?"

"We had Jarod run a sim on a half-print that she left during what we assume was her first theft, so we've got a complete mental profile but otherwise that's it. The results of that simulation, of course, are on the mainframe."

"So let's get Sydney here to give a report on it."

"Now we hit another snag." The man reseated himself, speaking calmly. "Sydney, Mr. Broots and Miss Parker are missing."

The second man looked up. "And you know this how?"

"A report from the office reached me this morning that none of them have reported in for a couple of days. Miss Parker hasn't been here since the day before yesterday, and neither of the two men checked in the day before that. I got a sweeper to check and Broots' daughter wasn't at school for those days either. Those three hang together like grapes and you've got to admit that the timing was nice - just before Mr. Lyle was killed."

"You don't think that they were involved?"

"No, I don't. The question is whether they left of their own accord or not. If so, the three of them might have known what was planned. If not, somebody else did."

"And that somebody else could be this woman who stole the files?"

"It's just conjecture, but it's possible..."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen slipped the phone out of her pocket and stared at it for several moments in silence until Broots grew impatient.

"What are you planning?" he asked.

"Wondering whether to call them and confirm their suspicions."

"What?!" He stared at her. "Why would you do something like that? They can't find out anything about you without the mainframe so why not just leave them guessing?"

"Because they'll be so much angrier when they know for sure and that's always a lot of fun."

He couldn’t help grinning. "Okay, that's true, but why would you want to tell them? All it will do is get sweepers combing the country and they might just find us."

Nodding, she slipped the phone back into her pocket. "You're right. I can't take a risk like that, not while Debbie and Jarod are sick." She glanced at the computer and watched the three men leave the T-Board room. "If they go ahead with their investigation the way our friend just ordered, they'll find that email I sent to Miss Parker to say I had the three of you, so that'll tell them a bit anyway."

Broots took the computer and rewound the footage, pausing on the image of the redheaded man, and then looked at Helen. "You don't have a brother, do you?"

She shrugged. "Not that I know of, no. But I was only five when my parents died. Still, I’d expect to remember something like that." The doctor narrowed her eyes. "You aren't honestly trying to suggest that I'm related to the head of the Triumvirate, are you?"

"It's possible. He does look quite like you." He turned the computer around and she stared at the face before looking up.

"I don't see it."

"Because you don't want to, or because you aren't very good at recognizing your own features on somebody else's face?"

"Broots, please! Don't make such awful suggestions!"

"It'd be wonderfully ironic, wouldn't it?" He grinned. "That guy's spent the last few years hoping to catch Jarod and you've spent even longer trying to prevent them from experimenting on him."

She grinned half-heartedly. "Well, I guess it could be a little amusing."

"Want me to see what I can find?"

"Not really, no. I don't think I can deal with it if you're right."

"But now you'll wonder about it until it drives you nuts."

Groaning, she rolled her eyes. "Why didn't you go to bed when I suggested it?"

"Mommy?" interrupted a weak voice at this point.

"Yes, sweetie." Helen sat down beside the girl and started to brush the hair out of her eyes. "I'm right here."

"Where were you all day?" Debbie opened her eyes and looked up, struggling to a sitting position and leaning against the woman who immediately wrapped both arms and a blanket around her. "I missed you."

"I went to bring Jarod's mommy here so she could sit with him and I could spend more time here with you."

"Really?" The expression on the girl's face was a drowsy incredulity.

"Really. I'll still have to check on him every now and then, but I can sit here all the rest of the time with you."

"That's nice." The girl nestled further into the woman's arms. "I'd like that."

"I'm glad." Helen began to gently stroke the girl's hair. "Now just close your eyes, sweetheart. I'll be right here when you wake up again."

"Mmm hmm." Debbie leaned back against the woman, enjoying the arms around her before she let herself relax.

After feeling her fall asleep, Helen looked up to where Broots was watching her.

"Do I want to know?"

"Congratulations, Helen." He grinned. "You have a brother."

"Oh, wonderful." She rolled her eyes as she put the sleeping girl down on the bed and gently put the blankets over her. "The only other family tree I know that's so twisted is the Parker one."

Broots shut the computer. "Are you going to do anything about it?"

"Not now. I'll just try and get used to the idea while taking care of everybody here and then, once you've all gone, I'll try to work out something appropriate." With a grin, she stood up. "I'm sure I can come up with something."

He laughed. "I'm sure you can too. Are you going to tell anyone?"

"Broots, every person in this house, with the exceptions of Debbie and Jarod, has, at some point in the last couple of days, told me they don't trust me. I don't believe this would go a long way towards building that trust."

"Helen, I think they were all kidding. I know I was."

"Still, there's always a grain of truth to those things, so let's keep this a secret for now, okay?"

He nodded. "But can you tell them all before we leave here? I really want to see their faces."

Slowly she grinned. "So do I. Okay, that's what we'll do."

# # #


Walking down the hall a little way, Helen pushed open the bedroom door and looked inside to see Emily sleeping against her mother's shoulder.

"How's everybody doing?"

"Fine, Helen." Margaret smiled. “Jarod hasn't woken up since you were last here, and he seems to be sleeping soundly."

Stepping across, the doctor rested two gentle fingers on Jarod's wrist and timed his pulse before glancing up at Margaret. "He's doing very well. As I said, your son's a very fit man, and I think that he'll get over this without complications. In fact, I'd say that in a few days, he'll be complaining because he has to stay in bed."

"He won't complain too much." Margaret looked stern. "I won't let him."

"Oh, boy." Helen rolled her eyes. "I didn't think I'd have to hear you telling people off ever again."

"I never did it to you."

"You never had to. I made sure of it." She grinned. "It could be entertaining to listen to anyway. Sydney will probably be in hysterics over it."

A faint smile crossed Margaret's face, but her eyes were suddenly hard. "I can imagine he might be."

"Margaret, he did what he thought was best for Jarod at the time."

"I know he did." She looked at her son. "But it's still hard for me to understand how he kept Jarod in the Centre for so long."

Helen nodded. "Why don't you talk to him about it, get his side of the story?"

"I might even do that." The older woman paused. "I'd really like to know what my son was like, growing up."

Even as she nodded, Helen pulled the soft material out of her pocket, slipping it on to Jarod's left hand and doing up the string.

"What…?"

"Just to prevent him from scratching himself. I don't expect the rash to appear yet, but he might as well get used to them." She pulled out the other one and eased it over his cast.

"What happened to his hand?"

The doctor looked up guiltily. "I...ran him over."

"You did what?!"

"He ran out onto the road in front of my car and I couldn't brake in time."

"And then what happened?"

Helen described the scene, by the end of which Margaret was flushed from struggling to suppress her laughter. Wiping the tears away from her eyes with her free hand, the other being lovingly around Emily’s shoulders, she looked up. "Was that as revenge for the exam I made you write two days before I left Philadelphia?"

"Perhaps." The doctor laughed softly. "You should give that exam to Jarod after he gets better. I'd love to compare his answers with mine - genius with just average ability."

Margaret eyed her. "I think average is being unkind to yourself, Helen. You might not qualify as a genius, but you do pretty well in the brains department."

"I had good teachers." With a smile, Helen opened the door. "I'll be back in a few hours to check on him. Call me if you need anything."

# # #


Miss Parker rolled over and looked at the clock. Being almost seven, she thought that it was late enough for her to get out of bed, and she lazily sat up. As with all the other mornings she'd been here, she enjoyed the idea that she didn't have to go to the Centre and could spend all day doing very little.

Sitting up, however, she frowned as a slight headache began, and made a mental note to mention it to Helen or Sydney when they came down to see how she was. Her body felt heavy as she got left the room, heading for the bathroom. Going into the room, she saw the bed linen that was all bundled together in the corner, waiting for somebody to come down and put it in the washing machine.

For several moments Miss Parker gazed at the pile, feeling her eyes start to burn as she stared blankly at the soft, white heap fabric. An idea suggested itself to her as she swayed on her feet, and although it was not a thing she would normally have contemplated, suddenly she couldn't find anything wrong with it. Dreamily, she walked over and lowered herself so she lay down among the sheets. For several seconds, Miss Parker snuggled into the material, yawning sleepily, before she let her heavy eyelids fall.

# # #


"Sydney?"

Helen stuck her head around the door and the psychiatrist looked up from the electric jug on the bench that he had just turned on. "Yes, Helen?"

"Have you checked Miss Parker this morning?"

"No, not yet. I was going to do it once I'd made coffee, unless you want to."

"As you're busy, I will." Smiling, she walked over to the cellar door and opened it, going down the stairs and turning on a light as she passed. The bedroom door was open and she stuck her head inside, her brow furrowing briefly when she found the room empty.

"Miss Parker?"

Turning, she glanced into the other rooms before arriving at the bathroom. Seeing that the door was half-open, she looked inside. For several seconds she stood, staring at the woman curled up on the pile of linen, before going over and sinking on her knees beside the sleeping body.

"Miss Parker, it's time to wake up now. Come on." Gently she shook the woman, feeling that she was slightly but not excessively warm. Slowly Miss Parker's eyes opened as she lazily looked up.

"Hi, Helen," she sighed drowsily.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

"Tired." She yawned, her eyelids drooping heavily. "Can I stay here?"

"No, I don't think so." Helen smiled as she looked around.

"But… it's so…" The woman's voice trailed off as her eyelids closed and she nestled deeper into the soft material again. Gently putting two fingers on Miss Parker's wrist, the doctor's brow furrowed again as she felt the slow, regular pulse.

"Helen?"

"The bathroom, Sydney."

"What on earth…?" He came into the room and stopped short, a smile on his face. "She's coming down with it, right?"

"No, I don't think so."

"No?" He stepped over. "How can she not be?"

"Her pulse is slow and regular, not heightened and bounding as I would expect it to be. And she's completely lucid, just drowsy. It doesn't fit."

"So what is it?"

"That's the problem." She looked up in faint amusement. "I don't know."

"Parker?" The psychiatrist leaned over the woman, shaking her gently. "Parker, I want you to look at me."

"No, Sydney." Her voice was a soft mumble as she turned her head away. "I'm really comfortable now. Let me sleep."

Lips twitching, he watched the woman fall asleep again, her hand lying in a relaxed fist beside her face. "I see what you mean." Glancing up, he saw a look of curiosity on the face of the doctor and turned to her. "What is it?"

"I almost think she's been drugged."

He looked at her skeptically. "How could she have been? Who'd have done it? I doubt you would have and I know none of us did."

She shrugged as she got to her feet, heading for the door. "I don't know, but I think that's what's happened. I'll just be a sec."
Part 7 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 7



Ashe, New York
As Helen left the room, Sydney bent down beside the sleeping woman and shook her gently, watching her eyelids slowly lift. "Parker, this isn't the nicest place for you to be sleeping."

"It's really nice, Syd." She smiled drowsily. "You should try it. Don't make me get up, please."

"Wouldn't you rather be in bed?"

"Uh uh." She shook her head, blinking sleepily. "I'd have to walk there."

His eyes lit up in amusement. "Do you feel sick?"

"Just... tired... and… a headache..." Her voice trailed off as her eyelids closed and she nestled down even more into the material.

"A headache, huh?" The voice from the doorway spoke in amused tones. "I'm not that surprised."

"Why?" Sydney looked around suspiciously. "Do you know what it is?"

"I do now. Sometime last night she must have accidentally wandered into my lab, right next to her room. A bottle of weak sedative's been knocked over, and some of spilt, soaking into the material that I use for protecting the bench top. There was dry patch of about the same size and shape as a human hand."

Helen bent down next to Miss Parker and gently lifted one of the woman's hands, letting it sag at the wrist.

"This particular hand. Every time she brings her hand up to her face, and you see that she sleeps with it there, she breathes it in. Having been breathing it in for most of the night, she's pretty much overdosed on it, giving her the headache."

Sydney stared at Helen for a moment before laughing. "So she's self-medicating now?"

"It looks that way." Her lips twitched. "We can either leave her to sleep it off here, or put her back to bed. Which would you prefer?"

"I think bed might be better." Sydney reached up and took a cloth down off the sink. "It will wash off, right?"

"Oh, definitely." She watched as Sydney gently wiped Miss Parker's hand and then returned the cloth to the sink.

"Will you wake her up with something or…?"

"No, I'd rather not. As I said, she's overdosed on chemicals right now and I don't want her to have any more than can be helped."

She slipped an arm around the woman's shoulders and raised her into a sitting position. Miss Parker's head rolled onto Helen's arm and her eyes opened, gazing up drowsily at the doctor.

"Can't I stay here?" the brunette begged.

"No, Miss Parker." Helen shook her head. "But we'll get you into bed, and you can sleep there for as long as you want."

Sydney put an around the woman's waist, and the two people nearly carried Miss Parker to her room. Putting her on the bed, they were about to lie her down when the woman's head fall back against the doctor’s shoulder, Miss Parker nestling sleepily up against Helen and putting an arm around her back. The redhead looked up at Sydney with a smile.

"I don't think she wants me to leave."

Gently she began to extricate herself, but the woman whimpered, similar to the sound she had made when Jarod had tried to put her into the car several nights earlier. Her hold around the doctor's waist tightening, the sedated woman nestled closer, her face pressed up against Helen's neck. At the sight, Sydney raised an amused eyebrow.

"Are you going to stay there?"

"Until she falls asleep properly, yes," Helen laughed, sitting beside Miss Parker. "I don't appear to have a choice in the matter."

Reaching up, she stroked the woman's long hair, feeling as she began to relax. Sydney sat down in a chair and watched silently as Helen lowered her voice once more to those hypnotic tones that had been so effective on other occasions.

"That's right, Miss Parker, just relax. I know you're feeling sleepy anyway, and it's all you want to do, fall into that lovely, comfortable darkness all around you. It's all you have to do now. Don't try to stay awake. There's no need. I'm going to lower your head so it rests on my lap instead of my shoulder, and that will be even more comfortable for you. Don't fight me, Miss Parker. I'm not going to hurt you, or to leave you alone. I'll stay right here."

Gently, Helen supported the other woman's head, overcoming slight resistance, until the dark-haired woman was lying down, before Helen recommenced stroking Miss Parker's hair. The woman muttered quietly and moved her head as it rested on the other woman's lap, her arm briefly tensing around Helen's waist and the other hanging down towards the carpet, the fingers lightly brushing the thick pile. Blinking drowsily, she gazed dreamily at the man in the chair opposite her, feeling the gentle touch on her hair and faintly hearing the quiet voice murmuring incomprehensibly above her head.

"Good, isn't that lovely and comfortable now? It's so nice, isn't it, to be here like this, with nothing that you have to do and nowhere to be. You just let your eyes close and relax. I'm sure it's all you want to do now, feeling as sleepy as you do. Your eyelids are so heavy, aren't they? And your arm feels like it should be made out of lead. It's an effort to keep that hand around my waist. You don't have to, not now. Just let it fall down on the bed. I'll still be here. Your head's resting in my lap and you know I'm still here. All you've got to do is close your eyes. Just let them close. It's hard for them to stay open now, so very hard. They don't have to. All they have to do is close."

Close, Sydney thought dreamily as he watched the two women. Just let my eyes close. I'd love to let them do that. It’d be so nice. I shouldn't. I should go up to sit with Jarod. I should go and make some coffee. That’d wake me up. I feel so tired. I didn't sleep much last night. Maybe if I just relax here for a minute, I'll be able to get up and go upstairs. I shouldn't listen to what Helen's saying. I saw what happened last time, with Jarod. I can see what it's doing to Parker. But I want to listen. It's so peaceful and relaxing here, like it was in the car. That seat was so soft, so comfortable. This is, too, and I'd like to rest my head back on the chair. I'd like that so much. I’ll do it, just for a minute. It's lovely to do it, to have it supported by something else, where I don't have to hold it up. That's what Helen said to Jarod, too. She's right. It's very nice. But I won't do it for very long, just a couple of minutes. Then I'll get up...

"That's it." Helen surreptitiously glanced up to see the drowsy look in Sydney's eyes and hid a smile. "Your poor eyelids must be feeling so very heavy by now. I bet you'd love to let them close, wouldn't you? I know you would. They're so heavy and they're starting to get sore now, the same as your poor head. It's so hard to keep them open, to keep looking. You don't have to. There's no need. Not now. Just rest; let me take care of it all. I'll look after everything now."

Helen felt Miss Parker's arm slide down from around her waist onto the bed, and looked down to see the woman's closed eyelids, her lips slightly parted. A quick look at Sydney showed that he was half-asleep, lulled by her tones. Having seen how tired he looked in the kitchen and guessing how little sleep he must have had the night before, she knew it would take very little more encouragement before he would nod off in the chair.

"That's very good. Just relax now. I'm sure you don't want to stay awake. I know that you'd love to be able to just let yourself sleep. It's a wonderful thought, isn't it? That lovely darkness could rise up and take you with it. There's no need for you to try to stay awake. Don't fight it; just let it sweep you away. You've got nothing to stay awake for now. Later, when you wake up, you'll feel so much better, but for now all you have to do is sleep. Just sleep."

Sleep, Sydney thought. Yes I could sleep. I want to sleep. I don't have to do it for very long, just a few minutes. Just long enough to feel better. I feel so tired now. I do want to let myself sleep. It’d be nice. My eyes are feeling so sore now. She's right. I can sleep. She'll take care of them. I won't sleep for long, just a minute or two. It's so awfully hard to stay awake. I'm so tired. This chair is so comfortable too. If I'd known it was so nice, I wouldn't have sat down. I should get up. No, not yet. I'll close my eyes now for a few minutes, then I'll go upstairs again and… and… what was I going to do before? I can't remember now. It can't have been all that important or I'd have remembered. I'll just... let my eyes... close... just... a few... minutes...

"When you're asleep I'll cover you with a nice, warm blanket so that you don't get cold. That’d be nice, wouldn't it? Your head will be lying, just like it is now, on the lovely softness, and you'll have a cozy, warm blanket around your body as you let yourself relax and you can sleep down here for as long as you like."

Feeling that Miss Parker had been asleep for several minutes, she glanced up just in time to see Sydney's eyelids fall and his head roll slightly to one side as he slowly relaxed back into the seat. Gently, still murmuring under her breath, she adjusted the woman so that she was lying properly on the bed and then covered her. Taking another blanket from the cupboard, Helen covered the sleeping man, tucking it in gently. Turning, with a small smile on her face, Helen left the room and went upstairs.

# # #


"Mommy?"

"Yes, Debbie?" Helen sat down on the bed and picked up the girl in her arms, feeling the warm body snuggle close to her.

"Where were you?"

"I was looking after Miss Parker, baby."

"Is she still here?" The girl looked up sleepily and yawned. Smiling, Helen started to stroke her hair.

"Yes, sweetheart, but she can't come and see you until you're not sick anymore in case she gets the measles like Jarod did."

"Mmm hmm." Debbie looked up again. "Does he like having his Mommy here?"

"I think so, sweetie."

"I do, too." Resting her head on Helen's shoulder, Debbie closed her eyes, nestling into the woman's neck.

"I'm glad, Debbie."

Helen's voice lowered to a quiet murmur as the girl fell asleep. Helen touched Debbie's forehead with the back of her hand, glad to feel that she wasn't as hot as she had been on other days at the same time.

"Is she getting better?" Broots asked the question as he looked up from the chair in which he had been watching the first hour of that day's T-Board.

"Yes, I think so." Helen placed the limp body of the girl back on the bed. "Usually the fever only lasts for the first couple of days of the rash and she's definitely got that." She opened the girl's pajama top and showed Broots the blotchy skin.

"So how long...?"

"A week to ten days. But she'll begin to feel much better in a few days, except for the cough. She'll also tire more easily for a while."

Broots nodded. "Where's Sydney?"

"Sleeping." Helen's lips twitched. "I managed to… persuade him."

"How do you do that anyway?"

Getting up from the bed, she sat in a chair next to him. "One of my professors was a firm believer that patients would develop resistance to drugs and he wanted to find another method that could be used for calming a person. He eventually felt that 'power of suggestion' was the most effective. Of course, it has its limitations but so do most sedative drugs. That's why I learned it. Working with children, I'm glad I have. It's always been very useful."

"With your 'hobby', that seems vaguely ironic."

"Yes," she laughed. "That's true but I don't usually use my own drugs on patients. It’d be the fastest way to get sued if anything went wrong. I tend to restrict it to my 'criminal' activities."

"You could make a fortune with those."

She grinned. "My activities or my drugs?"

Broots laughed. "You know what I mean."

Helen nodded and became serious. "I wouldn't want to."

"And why not?"

"As my drugs have no side effects, people would use ever increasing amounts of them and it’d be far too easy for them to overdose. I don't want to have to be responsible for that."

# # #


Helen quietly opened the door to find Emily sitting on the bed beside her brother and stroking his hair. The man slowly opened his eyes and looked up, smiling faintly.

"Where's Sydney?"

"He's sleeping, Jarod." Helen sat down on the place that Emily vacated. "Sydney's worn out from worrying about you so much."

He nodded slightly. "Did you really… find Mom for me?"

"Of course I did." She smiled. "And for your sister too."

"Thank you." The words were barely audible, as the sick man's eyes closed and he relaxed into sleep.

Helen looked at her friend. "Where's your mother?"

"I talked her into going to bed for a while. I don't know if she'll sleep, but..."

"She'll need to, at some point. This is as good a time as any." Helen stepped away from the bed, steering Emily with her. "Today, or tomorrow, that rash will start to develop and after that his fever will go down. When it happens, he'll be more alert, and is likely to want both of you with him more often. It's a good idea for you both to take advantage of the fact that he's so drowsy right now and get ready for it."

Emily nodded, smiling. "I think he's starting to believe that she's actually here."

Helen looked amused. "And are you?"

Laughing softly, Emily shrugged. "Ask me in a few days. I might actually be able to tell you then."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"So we still have the plans for the latest series of projects?"

The man nodded, his lips thin as he glanced over the typed pages. Another Triumvirate member leaned forward.
"What is it?"

"I'm not sure whether we should trust him."

"Mr. Parker?" The other man looked startled. "Why would he do something that might endanger himself? He couldn't have known that the mainframe was going to be damaged, and we could have compared..."

"Except that this was never on the mainframe." The first man slammed a fist on the table, making the glasses jump. "It was felt that potential projects shouldn't be so easily accessible."

"So the only way to know," the third man remarked softly, "is to start every single project from scratch."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"How are you feeling, Sydney?"

He stretched, looking up at the woman who stood by the bed. "Better. Much better. What time is it?"


Glancing at her watch, Helen hid a smile. "Almost two."

"What?" His eyes were wide as he stared at her. "But… why didn't you…?"

"Relax. If I'd needed anything, I would have woken you. But everything's fine and has been since you… nodded off." Hiding another smile, she looked down as the woman in the bed stirred. "Miss Parker, are you waking up now?"

"Do I have to?" The voice was sleepy and Helen laughed softly.

"No, you don't have to unless you want to, but I just wanted to make sure it was possible for you to do so. You can go back to sleep if you want to."

"Mmm hmm," the woman murmured as she rolled over onto her side. Helen pulled the bedclothes up so they covered her and then walked to the door, glancing back at Sydney.

"Do you want to come upstairs or are you going to stay down here for a few more hours' sleep?"

Laughing, he stood up, pushing aside his blanket, and walked to the door. As he closed it behind them, he looked at her, eyes narrow.

"You worked your magic on me, right?"

"If you slept during the night, I wouldn't have to." Her expression softened as she glanced at him. "Sydney, he's a lot better. No complications, the rash ought to be breaking out any time now, and you know that's the start of recovery." She smiled as they walked up the cellar stairs. "He asked about you before. I have to confess that I had fears he might see you in your role of pursuer and become agitated but luckily he hasn't."

The psychiatrist nodded. "I had the same concerns. I thought of mentioning them while you were trying to persuade me to sit in the room with him but decided not to borrow trouble."

"He wouldn't have got through the first hours so well if you weren't there. He sees you the way I hoped he would, as a person around whom he's safe." She passed a mug of coffee across the table and watched as he eyed it.

"That 'magic' I mentioned before..."

"...isn't extending to the food and drink I'm making. Sydney, I'm not going to send you back off to dreamland when you just woke up, am I? Besides, I want the chance to sleep myself and I can't do that while you're out."

He nodded, seeing the faint shadows under her eyes. Reaching out a hand, he placed it on hers. "Sleep well, Helen."

# # #


"Jarod?"

The man sleepily opened his eyes to find Sydney sitting on the bed next to him with a glass in his hand, forcing out a sentence. "Did you… sleep okay?"

Sydney smiled. "Yes, Jarod, I did. How are you feeling?"

"Am I still sick?"

"Yes, you are. But you're getting better."

An odd expression flickered momentarily in Jarod's eyes, but disappeared before the psychiatrist could work out what it meant. Ignoring it, he slipped one hand behind the head of the other man and supported him while he drank the medicine. When he was once more lying against the pillow, Jarod looked up, his voice drowsy.

"Sydney?"

"What is it?"

"What's this for?"

Looking down, Sydney saw that Jarod was holding up his left hand, covered by the soft cloth bag, and the older man smiled.

"It's to stop you from scratching when the rash breaks out."

"Uh huh." The man let his hand fall back on the bed and closed his eyes, a soft sigh escaping his lips as he fell asleep.

# # #


"How's Debbie doing?"

Broots looked up with a smile as Sydney walked into the room. "She's a lot better and Helen says she'll improve quickly over the next few days now the rash is developing." The technician paused. "How did you sleep?"

Sydney rolled his eyes. "Did she tell everybody?"

The younger man grinned. "Probably."

After checking the girl's pulse, Sydney sat down in a chair beside the other man, glancing down at the computer.

"How's the T-Board going?"

"Basically it's over. They're keeping them in the cells for a little longer, while they check they've got everything, but I think it's pretty much finished."

"You almost sound disappointed."

Shrugging, Broots tried to hide a laugh. "Well, it has been fun."

"And what's the final conclusion?"

"They'll have to rebuild the entire mainframe - but you already knew that - and it seems like they don't trust Mr. Parker not to have meddled with the results of the project notes they found in his office, so they're going to have to start them over too. Considering some of them are more than five years old, this sets the Centre back a long way."

Sydney narrowed his eyes briefly. "Is there any way to find out what they were?"

"Well, Helen would know. Why?"

"I think it's likely that they'll haul me up in front of them when we get back so that they can see what I remember of Jarod's simulations. If he was involved in any of those projects, I may need to remember what we did."

Nodding, Broots stared thoughtfully at the floor for a moment and then looked up at his fellow operative. "I was just thinking… Jarod has all the DSAs that he took when he escaped. Although he won't want you to take them back, he might allow you to watch them again, maybe making notes."

"It's a great idea in principle but that would tell them I knew something was going on with the mainframe." The psychiatrist paused. "No, we'll have to come up with something else."

"Daddy?"

At the sound of the voice, Broots got up and walked over to the bed. Sitting down beside her, he picked up the girl and cuddled her.

"What's up, Debbie?"

"Where's Mommy?"

"She's asleep, baby. But she'll come up to spend the night with you again."

"Good." Debbie looked up. "Can I have a drink?"

Picking up the glass of water on the bedside table, he gave it to his daughter who emptied it and then nestled down in her father's lap, her head leaning against his chest. He rocked her and she closed her eyes but, as he moved to get up, she raised her head and spoke sleepily.

"You don't do it like Mommy does."

The technician glanced over at Sydney, who raised an amused eyebrow but kept silent. Broots looked down again and put a hand under the girl's chin, raising her face so that he could see it.

"Well, I don't want to wake Mommy up now, so will you try to sleep for me?"

"Uh huh." Debbie closed her eyes again and rested against him. "I just wanted to tell you that it was different."

As she fell asleep, Broots looked up. "Should I be envious or grateful?"

The psychiatrist laughed softly. "Mothers are instinctively better carers of children than fathers could ever be and Helen's worked with kids for years so she has an even better idea of what works that most women."

"So that explains why you're letting Margaret spend so much time with Jarod?"

"That and the fact that she's seen him once since 1963, yes." Sydney examined the floor. "I can understand how she must feel about me. If this situation was the reverse, I'd probably feel the same way." He looked up sheepishly. "Truthfully, I think I'm probably avoiding her as much as anything."

"You can't do it for ever."

"No, I know. And once Jarod's better, we'll probably have to talk."

"Or we could do it now."

The two men looked up to find the woman standing in the doorway, one hand still resting on the doorknob, and a faint smile on her face.

"I was going to suggest that, as Jarod's asleep and Broots is here with Debbie, it might be time we had that discussion, maybe while making dinner?"

Nodding, Sydney got out of the chair and walked over to the door, glancing back once over his shoulder before leaving the room.

# # #


"What's for dinner?"

The two occupants of the kitchen turned to find Helen leaning against the closed door leading to the cellar.

"How's Parker?" Sydney asked.

"That drug's worn off and she's still showing no symptoms, so Broots should stop having to fear vengeance soon, I think." Grinning, she opened the fridge and took out a can of drink. "How are my patients?"

"Both improving. Jarod doesn't have to stop after every other word to catch his breath and Debbie wasn't too feverish when I checked on her. They've both got a good amount of sleep today too."

"Good." Helen glanced at her watch." Their temperatures will probably go up a bit as the evening wears on but that's not unusual." She looked slyly at the other two people. "Will we reorganize the shifts or will we leave things as they are?"

"That depends on you, Helen." Sydney turned, eyeing her knowingly. "Are you happy with having to stay up all night?"

"As long as you can cope with staying awake all day." She grinned. "I got an idea that it seemed a little tricky today."

"And whose fault was that?" He gave her a mock-glare. "I never asked to be sent to sleep against my will."

"Yes, it looked like it was against your will, too," she teased. "You were fighting so hard when you put your head back against the chair, shut your eyes and…"

"Thank you," he interrupted sharply. "Why don't you leave us to keep cooking and go up to check on your patients?"

"I just don't think you want to talk to me anymore," she laughed. "But I can take a hint..."

# # #


Helen glanced up from her book in the early hours of the morning to see the bedroom door open. Margaret peeped in and the doctor closed the book immediately.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong, as such, but he's awake and wanted to know if you'd go in and see him."

"Your son’s getting demanding?" Helen rolled her eyes and grinned at Margaret as she stood up. "He must be recovering quickly!"

Margaret smiled. "I'll stay here, if you like."

"Thanks, that'd be good. I don't expect her to wake up, but she might."

She slipped silently into the other bedroom and walked over to the bed, sitting on the edge of it as Jarod's eyes opened and he looked at her.

"Demanding me, huh? You must be feeling better."

He smiled faintly and tried to sit up, but she prevented it.

"No, Jarod, try to sleep again."

"You said I didn't have to lie down when you were here."

She laughed quietly. "You aren't that sick anymore. That was a useful expedient to keep you still, but I don't think you're silly enough to move around so much now that you'll exhaust yourself and make everything worse."

"It doesn't mean I don't want to sit up." He smiled. "I said it was nice."

Leaning forward, she gently stroked his hair. "Your mother would willingly sit like that for hours."

"I know." He eyed her. "Did you have another reason for finding her than just to bring her here for Em and me?"

"That's very perceptive." She looked at him in mock-admiration. "They don't call you a genius for nothing, do they?"

He grinned half-heartedly. "Well?"

"You really are getting demanding."

As he raised an eyebrow, she laughed again.

"I had a couple of other little reasons as well, but your question was the catalyst."

"And they were?"

"I wanted to be able to spend more time with Debbie. She misses me if I'm not by her bed."

"You're taking her mother's place."

Helen nodded. "You know how that feels."

"And the other little reason?"

"It's a very selfish one."

Jarod smiled faintly as she stood up. "You really like her, huh?"

"If I didn't like you and Em so much I'd probably be very jealous of both of you. Still, when you're better, maybe we can have more of those long talks that I used to love." Gently she resettled the blankets around him. "That's enough talking for now, Jarod. You still need to sleep. You aren't better yet."

"When will I be?"

She turned his head gently to one side, noting the brighter pink of the skin behind his ears as the rash started to develop. "You'll be less feverish in a few days, and then you'll improve by leaps and bounds, to the point that I'll probably have to tie you down or send your mother in to keep you in bed or something."

Jarod's voice and face were calm. "I'm terrified."

"You should be. You’ve got no idea what your mother's capable of. She often had me shaking in my shoes at school, regardless of the fact that I wasn't ever the person she was angry at."

He raised an eyebrow. "I don't believe it."

"Just wait and see. But I'm warning you, for your own sake, when she tells you to do something, make sure you do or you'll know all about it." She looked down at him sternly. "And that counts for me, too, you know."

Yawning, he nodded and rolled over onto his side, facing the door. Helen smiled, gently stroking his hair again as his eyes closed, before she turned to the door and left the room.

"Did she wake up?"

"No." Margaret got up from the chair and came over to the door. "Is he okay?"

"Fine." Helen smiled. "If the truth be known, I think he just wanted to see me. He had better hope that Miss Parker doesn't get sick because, if she does, he won't lay eyes on me and I'm sure he won't like that."

"Nor will the rest of us." Margaret smiled. "I don't want to lose my prize pupil now that I've got her back, you know."

"Why did you stop writing to me?" Helen leaned against the doorframe, her arms folded. "While I can understand why you left Philadelphia, why did you stop sending me emails and letters?"

"I was concerned that if they found me, the trail would lead them to you. I didn't want to put you in danger."

"Do you really think they would have bothered about someone of non-genius and non-Pretender potential?"

"I didn't know what they might 'bother about', Helen, and I hated the thought that you might be in danger simply as a result of knowing me."

Helen raised an eyebrow. "If you knew what my favorite out-of-hours activity is, you'd be able to really appreciate the irony of that statement."

Margaret eyed her severely. "'Out-of-hours' or out of all legal boundaries? Do you know what would happen to you if you were caught?"

"I’d hire your son as my lawyer and get off with a warning."

The older woman tried to hide a smile. "Be that as it may..."

"All I wanted to do was help you. I owe you a huge debt and that was a way I felt I could begin to repay it."

"You don't owe me anything, not now."

"Margaret, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be here now to care for Jarod, or been able to care for your daughter. Believe me, after that, everything else seems small."

"Mom?"

The voice from the next room interrupted the conversation and Margaret walked in to that room while Helen went in and checked on Debbie.

# # #


Helen came into the kitchen early the next morning to find Miss Parker pouring hot water from the kettle into a jug.

"I thought you were given explicit directions not to get up before seven."

With a half-smile, the woman put the jug on the table and sat down, watching as the doctor took a seat opposite.

"As I slept so much yesterday..."

Helen laughed. "Self-medicating or trying to overdose, Miss Parker? Because I'd have helped you find far better and more powerful things for you to use in either circumstance. You really only had to ask."

"It was an accident, really."

"Do you remember doing it?"

Miss Parker shook her head. "I have a vague memory of my hand feeling wet, but I just thought it was a very vivid dream."

"Well, just in case you decide to try it again some other night, I've started to lock the door of that room when I'm not in it."

"You never know, I might, particularly as it gives me such a wonderful excuse for what I did. Have you ever slept on a huge pile of sheets? It's very comfortable."

"So you said yesterday," Sydney sat down at the table with a small laugh, "during your involuntary nap."

"And what did you say during yours?" the woman returned smartly.

"He didn't say a lot," Helen smiled. "At least, I don't think he did. I left the two of you there to sleep so if he did say anything, you're the only person to have heard it."

"And, after her soothing talk, I very much doubt you heard anything, Parker."

Helen rested her chin on her hands and looked over at the other woman. "I'd like you to tell me something."

"If I know the answer..." came the cautious response.

"I know that this will probably be hard, but do you ever dream that either Thomas or your mother are still with you?"

"Why?" The voice adopted some of the hard tones that Miss Parker often used at the Centre.

"The start of this will sound vague but bear with me. When I began training as a pediatrician, we were given the basic education of child psychology. One of the first things we learned was how to understand if a child was scared of being left alone or abandoned. Although the idea isn't usually relevant to adults, it shows itself in some people when they're sick or sedated. Jarod, in only one example, clung to my hand during the first day he was sick, because he couldn't bear the thought of being left alone. You clung to Jarod when he was trying to put you into the car and held on to me yesterday when I would have left you to sleep off the sedative. It's normal, in people who do it to the extent and for the length of time you both did, to learn that they've often either lost or been abandoned by a person who's important to them, as both of you were."

"Is that true?" Miss Parker looked at Sydney sharply and he nodded.

"During their lifetime, most adults develop a barrier that stops them from sinking back to the level of fear of being abandoned, or at least returns them to adult confidence again very quickly. If the person's suffered in the way Helen described, they sink to that level of fear more easily and stay there for longer."

"Such people," Helen continued, "also like the feeling of close contact to another person at such a time. It increases the feeling of security, even if the person is a relative stranger. That's why you, Jarod and Debbie subconsciously found it very comforting to be close to me, particularly where you could hear my heartbeat. It's the same reason people place ticking clocks near puppies. It will add to the idea that a mother-figure is nearby and makes them feel safer."

Miss Parker looked back at Helen as she finished this and her face bore a hint of resentment. "So what does that have to do with Thomas or Momma?"

Gazing down at the table for a moment, Helen finally raised her head. "If you are going to get sick then I want to know the right things to say. I can guess at it with Jarod because I've got a better idea of what he went through. I can ask Debbie's father if I need to. But I don't know about you. I don't know if it’d be comforting for me to suggest what I did with Jarod - that he should dream his mother was next to him. It isn't possible for me to bring your mother to your bedside the way I did with Margaret and I hope you'll forgive me if I don't bring your father here."

The other woman gave a half-smile at the last idea before she spoke. "What you say does make sense but I wouldn't know..."

"...what to say. That's all right; I can understand it. I would have been surprised if you'd been able to give me a list."

The man looked up. "It would have to be admitted, Helen, that you’ve got a pretty good instinct of the right things to say by what you went through yourself."

"To a certain extent, Sydney, I'd agree with that but I was only five when I lost my whole… both my parents," she corrected herself with an unseen smile. "I was too young to know the full extent of what I'd lost and I had other 'parents' to take their place. In fact," she laughed, "I was probably in real danger of being mothered too much, at least for the first few years. But by ten years of age, children are usually aware of the total extent of their loss. Jarod wasn't much older than that when he was told that he had lost his parents and he must have felt it too." She glanced at the silent psychiatrist. "And you were a similar age when your parents were killed so you know how much a child of that age understands. I don't."

"This is making the assumption that I'm going to get sick," Miss Parker interjected abruptly.

"It's also making the assumption that you'll want your mother or Thomas if you do get sick. But it's something I've been thinking about and this seems like as good a time to mention it as any." She reached forward, putting a hand on that of the other woman. "I don't like saying things that cause people pain as I know this will, but it would be worse, a lot worse, if it were all to come out when you were sick. I doubt any of us would want you to have to face it then, not when you'll need all of your strength for getting better, not for a fresh bout of grieving."

The people at the table watched as the woman descended the stairs to the cellar. After a moment Sydney looked over at Helen.

"Do you really not feel anything for your parents?"

"I don't not feel anything. They're still a tangible part of my life." Reaching into her pocket, Helen took out her purse and extracted two photographs that she handed to Sydney. "I've had those for my entire life and I've built emotional ties with their faces, but I can't really remember them. When I try to think of my mother, one of the nuns comes to mind, and a priest who used to come and visit me sometimes was, to a certain extent, able to take the place of my dad. But then I turned fifteen and got ample opportunity to find out what I was lacking."

"When you got sick?"

"Yes. That was when I realized how much I'd missed out on, not having parents. I was lying in my hospital ward with seven other children and each day, as soon as visiting hours started, the room would be full of parents, or at least mothers. But I never had a single visitor. The nun who, in my mind, had taken the place of my mother, died before I turned fourteen, and the others were all too busy to visit me. I was very sick after the first operation, too sick to notice that I was different from the others, but, as I got better, I could see what I was missing. I know about clingy children, not just because of what I learned in a lecture, although I did hear about it there also, but because I was one. One nurse, knowing I was an orphan, used to spend her off-duty hours with me. Finally the doctor saw how attached I'd become and believed that it would be bad for me."

"Because you would leave the hospital when you recovered?"

"Exactly. He convinced the head nurse to give her time off and encouraged her to go, telling her I'd be fine. That night, when she thought I was asleep, she came in and said goodbye, getting her emotions off her chest by telling them to me."

"And you heard them?"

"Every word." Helen spoke somewhat bitterly. "I was far too sick to open my eyes but not too sick to close my ears, especially to someone who meant that much to me. So I was burdened not only with my feelings about it, but hers as well. A couple of days later I was operated on for the second time."

"The hysterectomy." Sydney sat back in his chair, his eyes full of compassion, as Helen nodded.

"The nurses had been warned that I was a clingy child who would get attached to anybody that showed the least sign of emotion. They all kept at a distance and the only time I felt hands on my skin was when my bandages were being changed or my pulse was being taken."

Helen paused.

"When I was studying, we were told of a psychological experiment where Rhesus monkeys were deprived of contact to see what would happen. It made me feel as if I'd been the subject of an experiment too." She sighed sadly. "That's why I was so angry when I saw what the Centre did. The vendetta began because of what I heard from Margaret but it intensified when I saw what was being done to Jarod and the others there."
Part 8 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 8



Ashe, New York
Sydney paused for a moment before he spoke. "Do you blame me?"

"To a certain degree, yes. The things I saw you do to Jarod and the way you treated him brought back to me the way I was treated at the hospital. Through my own investigation, though, I started to realize just how dangerous it was for people to defy the Centre. Although it didn't make me any less angry, I could at least blame the right people. The way you've treated Jarod since he got sick has also helped to change the way I feel about you."

"So what changed things in other ways? If you still feel as intensely angry as I can only imagine you must have felt then, how can you possibly deal with the burden of looking after children? We both know that's not easy, particularly when they're also clingy."

"Like Jarod was, you mean?" She smiled before becoming serious once more. "After I recovered enough to be able to walk, I was sent 'home'. A few weeks later, I could go back to class. Then I found out that we had a new teacher."

"Margaret?"

Helen nodded, smiling faintly. "I didn't think much about it at the time. I was having a hard enough time dealing with the fact that I couldn't have children - and I always dreamed of having kids of my own - and also I was still trying to get over the fact that I'd been 'abandoned' by people who were supposed to be taking care of me. Even the nuns, after I was allowed back in class, didn't seem to care about me. One night I decided that if they didn't want me, they wouldn't have me. I packed a few things in a bag, left money to try and pay for the clothes that I was taking, and snuck out. I didn't get far."

"The hallway?" the man suggested.

"A little further than that." Her eyes glistened, but she blinked away the unshed tears. "I was about two blocks away when I felt the hand on my arm. I turned to find the new teacher behind me. She said she’d understood students weren't allowed to leave without permission, and she couldn’t believe that someone as sick as me could have permission to wander the streets. I told her –I can't believe that I could ever have said this – that it was none of her business, and she ought to concern herself with her own children, not those nobody wanted."

Sydney raised an eyebrow, but remained silent.

"I still don't know, to this day, why she didn't turn around and walk away. Instead, she told me that it sounded like I needed to talk, and I said that all I needed to do was find somewhere that people were allowed to care. Then I started to cry. All this time, I'd been hiding my anger and bitterness, because I hadn't wanted to get angry at the wrong people or to look like a child. And there I was, doing exactly that in front of a complete stranger. So, in addition to making me upset, my tears also made me embarrassed and angry, so I broke away from her and started to run."

"Only a few weeks after major surgery?"

Helen grinned briefly. "Smart, huh? From memory, I got about eight blocks away and then I was in too much pain to keep going. I'd come to a park, so I went in and lay down under a tree. Luckily it was summer, or I'd probably have ended up with pneumonia on top of everything else."

"You fell asleep?"

"She tried to." Margaret walked into the room and sat in the chair that Miss Parker had occupied. Helen gave a half-smile.

"I didn't know we had an audience," Helen protested faintly.

"An audience who already knows what happened, Helen. Go on."

The younger woman looked up. "I opened my eyes a while later to find that I wasn't alone. There was a woman on her knees next to me, covering me with her jacket, but by then I was in too much pain to recognize her. She took me back to her apartment. It won't be a surprise to learn that I developed a fever and, by the time I figured out where I was and what had happened, I think I’d told her just about everything in my feverish ramblings. It also won't be surprising when I say that, as soon as I was aware of what was going on, I stopped talking. I kept waiting for her to treat me the way they had in the hospital, to turn away, but she never did."

Unable to continue, Helen glanced at Margaret, who smiled, turning to Sydney, her voice soft, as compassionate as the look in his eyes.

"From what she’d said, I could guess at the reason for her silence, her fear. She changed overnight from a girl who wanted me beside her, holding her every moment to a girl who hardly opened her mouth, refused to eat and wouldn't let me close. But I kept trying and finally, after ten days, she broke down."

Margaret reached over and put a hand on that of the woman sitting next to her, squeezing gently. The doctor looked up.

"I just wanted someone to talk to. I'd felt so lonely in the hospital and later, when I got back to the convent. Now there was a person who was acting as if it really mattered to her how I felt and how I was. Finally, after so long, I started to believe that maybe I did matter to her, that she did care, that it wasn't all just some cruel joke she was playing. Eventually I decided that I didn't care what would happen later, I just had to tell somebody. So I did. I don't know how long the conversation lasted, but it had to be hours. It started about ten minutes after she came home from work, and I have a memory of the sun rising as I finally fell asleep," she cast a loving glance at the woman beside her, "in her arms, worn out from all the tears I'd shed."

"And then?" Sydney's voice was as soft as Margaret's had been.

"While she was still too sick to go back to the convent,” Margaret stated, “Helen and I had long discussions after I got home from work. Generally they were philosophical and we’d emphasize points with examples from our own lives. That was when I told her some things about the loss of my boys, about the life I was forced to live, and that Charles and I had separated to keep Emily safe."

Helen looked up. "I started to feel that if she was willing to tell me so much about her life maybe it meant she would stay around for a while, that she wouldn't desert me like other people had. So I let myself get close to her. Unfortunately that 'a while' turned out to be only a little while."

Margaret continued. "I got word from Harriet Tashman to say that the Centre had found out where I was and were coming after me, so I fled. When I got to a place that I felt safe, I wrote a letter to Helen, explaining what had happened and giving her an address where she could write to me, as long as she didn't expect me to reply too quickly. I can't say it was a big surprise when she wrote. But I was so glad that she did."

Helen smiled. "It was a few days before I even knew she'd gone because we had the vacation for Christmas, but I got her letter before classes started again. I wrote to say that, as I was starting medical school after the coming summer vacation, I hoped she could understand if I didn't reply too quickly either but that I wanted us to stay in contact. I didn't feel the need to say why I felt that way and I'm sure you can imagine the reason."
Sydney nodded sadly but didn't interrupt.

"Our correspondence was fairly intermittent until we got access to email. It was a lot better after that. By then I was working at a large hospital in Chicago and had just started to specialize. That course in child psychology opened up a lot of old wounds that I thought had healed. If it hadn't been for Margaret's messages, I'm not sure whether I would have completed the course. Still, I managed it. Then, a few days before I finished it, in mid-1996, we lost contact."

"And then went to you find out about the Centre."

"Yes. I'd dealt with my loneliness, my fears of being abandoned, but I'd never got rid of my anger. I decided to take it out on the Centre but in a way that would take time before they knew about it. So I snuck in and began to do some investigation. I learnt about what was being done to Jarod and, which was much worse, what had been done to Kyle. I went to see him in prison, although I never told him about knowing his mother. As far as I know, he died in ignorance of the fact that I ever knew her."

"And," Sydney turned to the older woman, "did you know…?"

"I knew about Kyle, yes." Margaret spoke softly. "Harriet told me. She suggested that I could go and visit him but I knew the Centre would be keeping a very close eye on him and I also didn't know if he even knew who I was. Charles sent me a letter after he and Jarod found each other, telling me the details of his death."

Sydney turned back to the younger woman. "So, until you came up with the plan to destroy the mainframe, what did you do in the Centre?"

"I mostly stole DSAs so that I could find out what was going on there. Six months after my first 'break-in', I had a very complete picture for most facets of the place. Finally I made the decision that, to try and repay Margaret for everything, I would get Jarod out." She smiled. "He beat me to it by three days."

Sydney's eyes widened. "You…?"

"I had a plan all ready whereby Jarod could be spirited away from the Centre and nobody would be any the wiser until the next day. I'd organized with Angelo to be introduced to Jarod but that was the day Kenny was killed. Angelo met me at the entrance where I sneak in and showed me the DSA of what had happened. Then he took me down to Jarod's room. Jarod was much too distraught for me to even think about it that night. I also knew that Damon's betrayal would make it virtually impossible for Jarod to trust me." Helen laughed. "In a superb twist, I came back here that night, went down to my lab and created the gas that I would later use on the three of you in the car."

Sydney's lips twitched in amusement. "Now that's irony."

"Good, huh? My plan was that I would pump the gas into his room, disable all the cameras and then smuggle both he and Angelo out before he woke up. I'd bring them both back here and let Angelo prove to Jarod that he could trust me. What happened after that would depend on his reaction. As you might have guessed, I never got the chance to do it."

"Why not?"

"Angelo met me again the following night and said that Jarod was considering an escape plan of his own. Who was I to compare my ideas with those of a genius?" She shrugged, laughing. "Still, I thought about it. I knew that any plan Jarod could come up with had to mean that security was alerted whereas I expected my plan would have been able to pass almost unnoticed. Angelo kept me informed of what Jarod was organizing, though, and that it wouldn't only be Jarod escaping."

"And how did he know?"

Helen smiled. "Sydney, Angelo's an empath, remember? He could empath Eddie's feelings, and Alex's as well, as much as he could feel mine."

Sydney nodded. "So he told you about Eddie and Alex?"

"No," Helen stated firmly, a smile curling the corners of her mouth. "No, he never mentioned them to me, at least not by name."

"So how did you know…?"

"Like I said, I knew what was planned. I came to Blue Cove that night and 'drove by' just in time to see a figure running through the darkness. Being as you called me a considerate person, I picked him up."

"Jarod?"

"Eddie." Helen smiled. "They split up after getting out and as I'd expected he made his way down to the road where I was waiting. As we drove back here I told him a little of who I was and what I knew about Jarod and the others. Thanks to Angelo's information, I even had his files as well as Jarod's. It took time, but he finally began to trust me. He stayed for a while to keep an eye on the Centre and when we worked out that they weren't searching for him, I began to introduce him to the world." She smiled. "It was such an amazing experience, doing that. Eddie, seeing everything for almost the first time, made me see everything in a new way as well, and it's something I've tried not to lose. We watched the sun rise and set every day, and he sat in every single rainstorm until he got a cold and I made him stay inside. The sight of his first rainbow was pretty incredible. But it was just his curiosity about everything that was so much fun. He had to know what it was, how it worked, what it was made of, where it was made and, once he finally got a feel for money, how much it cost."

"I suppose,” Sydney's voice was wistful, “Jarod must have been the same."

"I would imagine so." Helen smiled. "The first few days were the best. Everything we saw during the drive from the Centre - and it wasn't very much in the darkness - he asked me about. I started to explain it, but it was too much. Despite being so highly intelligent, it was just too large for him to take in all at once. He simply couldn't understand many of the things that I was trying to explain to him. Eventually we had to begin with the small stuff, like the CD player in my car and the electric windows. When we got here, he was too tired to deal with any more. I thought it would be better if he slept in an environment similar to what he had been used to." She laughed. "In fact, that’s the reason that I even bought this house in the first place. I knew it had a substantial cellar area with several rooms, and I thought it would make an ideal place for Jarod and, when I knew about him, Eddie as well."

"So you really thought about it all."

"Oh, yes. There was a lot of planning involved. I’d even thought about how they might feel. On that first night, for instance, I worried that Eddie might have to take in too much at once and wouldn't cope, so he slept down there, but I left all the doors open and all the lights were still on in the hall and up here in the kitchen. Eddie was totally exhausted when we got here. Despite that, though, I'm not sure whether he slept that night."

Helen glanced around the room. "When I came downstairs, the next morning, he was standing at the window, staring out through the glass. When I suggested that we go outside so that he could have a proper look, he looked at me like I had two heads. So I made him breakfast instead."

"What did you give him?"

"Cereal, toast, coffee - and pancakes." She grinned. "He liked those best."

Sydney smiled. "I bet he did."

"Finally I convinced him that we could go outside. The back garden, as you can see, is very well protected so I knew nobody would see us. But I gave him some clothes to change into first, and which I'd purchased for Jarod when I made that plan, and I let him have a shower for as long as he wanted. But finally we got outside. He sat down on the grass - wet with dew but he didn't care - and silently looked around. At last I went back into the house, got a book and sat on the step, waiting until he was ready to talk."

"How long did it take?"

"Almost four hours." She smiled at the memory. "Finally he got up and came over to sit beside me. Then he asked me the most impossible question I've ever been asked."

"And that was?"

"'What's the world like?'"

Laughing, she watched the expressions on the faces of the other people sitting at the table.
"I felt as if I'd just been set a really difficult philosophical exam, like a certain one that I completed just before my favorite teacher disappeared." She smiled. "For about five minutes I just sat there in silence, trying to work out how to explain the world to a person who hadn't really experienced it. Eventually, I said that it was impossible to tell him, that he’d have to see it and feel it for himself, but that I would help him. We went back inside and started discussing the things he'd never seen before or heard of."

Sydney leaned back and looked at her. "And how did he cope with you?"

"At first it was hard for him but I was, in a way, a little bit of continuity. Every woman Eddie knew in the Centre had been a doctor and there I was, just like them. At the same time, though, I wasn't like them. I had no power over him but it took some time before he realized that and longer before he could understand it."

"In what way?"

"We were washing the dishes and Eddie was so fascinated with the detergent that he wasn't paying attention and dropped a glass. Of course it smashed. The second it happened, he looked at me, waiting for me to punish him, and absolutely terrified because he didn't know me, and so didn't know what form the punishment would take. His face became totally expressionless and he didn't move."

"What did you do?" Sydney prompted.

"That was the hard part. I wasn't sure what to do. But eventually I got a broom and cleaned it up, telling him it was just a glass and it wasn't the end of the world. When that was done, I looked up and he hadn't moved. He was just stood there, waiting for his punishment. I just couldn't stand the terror in his eyes so I put my arms around him and said that it was all right, that I wasn't going to get angry and that he didn't need to worry or to be scared of me. He froze for a second, and then began to cry. I never saw an adult - I never even saw a kid - cry the way Eddie did that morning. He tried to hide it, to turn away, because he thought it would definitely make me angry. But I wouldn't let him hide it from me. I sat him on a chair, holding him and just letting him cry."

She smiled faintly, remembering that morning.

"My shirt front was soaking wet by the time he stopped. When it was finished, I sat down in front of him and he asked if I was still mad. I said I'd never been mad, that it was only a glass and I was just glad he wasn't hurt. That was something he simply wasn't able to cope with - that someone would actually worry about him. To take his mind off it all, we went into the living room. I sat down on the sofa and he stood off to one side, like he was waiting for directions. After I told him for about five minutes to do so, he came and sat next to me. Then, like a child, Eddie tried to curl up in my lap. Finally, realizing that he was too big, he lay with his head on my leg and we watched TV for a while."

She smiled at Sydney.

"Yes, inane cartoons again, except that it wasn't early morning anymore. Eventually he fell asleep." Pausing, Helen's face became sad. "He had nightmares, such terrible nightmares. After about ten minutes of him crying out, I woke him. I wouldn't have left it that long, but I knew he needed sleep and was hoping that he'd get past the dreaming stage. When it didn't happen, I roused him. As of that moment, he became the same sort of clinging person I'd been, wanting to be near me all the time. I became his security blanket and he even followed me from room to room. That night, and for a lot of nights after it, Eddie slept in my bedroom. It wasn't really planned."

"In what way?"

She smiled. "He gave every appearance of going to bed quite happily, and I was naïve enough to think that he was planning to sleep there all night, but I woke up a few hours later to find him lying on the end of my bed with his hand resting on my foot, sound asleep. He looked so peaceful that, considering what he'd gone through that day, I didn't have the heart to wake him, so I covered him with a blanket and let him stay there. The next morning, I watched him trying to sneak out of the room so I wouldn't know he'd been there and I asked who he thought put the blanket over him."

Helen looked at Sydney sadly. "Eddie said that he knew I'd only done it to make sure he wouldn't get sick, so he could keep working. I reminded him that he didn't have to work and he said that he fully expected me to take him back to the Centre. It took me almost an hour to persuade him that I wouldn't, that he really was safe with me. And when, eventually, he did believe me, he cried in the same way that he had the day before."

She looked over to see the tears glistening in Margaret's eyes and gently placed a hand over that of the older woman.

"I put a camp bed into the room so he could sleep comfortably. That situation lasted for a week or so until he became confident that I wouldn't disappear during the night. After that happened Eddie slept in the next room."

"So you became his substitute mother?"

"Through default, yes. I felt like I was torn between wanting to be somebody he could rely on and not wanting him to depend on me too much. Finally we talked about it, all the things that I felt and what he felt. He was mature and intelligent enough to understand what I was trying to tell him and we found a happy medium." The doctor laughed for a moment. "But I still had to answer all of his questions!"

Helen looked up at Sydney.

"Eddie didn't have anybody he wanted to call to ask them about things, so he asked me instead. Boy, did he ask me!" Rolling her eyes, she smiled. "I've dealt with curious kids, but they all pale in comparison to Eddie. Luckily for my sanity his intelligence meant that he could grasp concepts pretty quickly, even vague ones, like emotions."

"Vague?" Margaret looked over quickly. "I don't think you can ever call emotions 'vague', Helen."

"That's true, but how do you explain them to somebody who never had them all described to him? How do you explain why it's okay to cry when you're happy, but also when you're sad? How do you explain that the feeling in your stomach when you're nervous isn't because you're about to be sick? How," she eyed the psychiatrist thoughtfully, "do you explain to somebody new to it all that what they feel when they fall in love for the first time is normal?"

"You explain the biology of it..."

"And then they turn around and ask 'But why? Why is it that way? Why don't we do this?' Please, Sydney, you must remember how difficult those conversations in the first months with Jarod were. If you don't, I can find the recordings for you. I have them floating around somewhere."

Sydney shook his head, smiling faintly. "So how did it go with Eddie?"

"I think to a certain degree I was successful." She paused. "In a lot of ways, and this sounds very immodest but I think it's true, Eddie was luckier than Jarod, having somebody there who knew the situation. He could ask me things without needing to go into a detailed explanation about why he didn't know them. I think that probably made it easier for him to adjust to the world outside." Helen glanced up at Sydney. "I also wasn't constantly encouraging him to go back the Centre. I suspect that that kind of pressure probably made it a lot harder on Jarod."

"So what happened later?"

"Later?" Helen smiled. "Oh, later was a lot of fun. Showing him the world was fun. I took him with me when I went to treat some of my patients and he loved the fact that kids wouldn't think that he was so weird if he didn't know about things. Then, one day, I taught him about my pet hobby."

"Chemistry?"

"Theft." She laughed. "Well, pick pocketing, to be exact. He always had fun with it, but he was too honest to carry it all the way. Eventually he started treating it like a party trick, and he could deal with that a lot better."

"You encouraged him?"

"Not exactly. But then he never really needed encouragement. He was so eager to do everything anyway..." She trailed off and shrugged. "As for the chemistry, he did help me with that too. A few of my drugs are his creation."

She stopped briefly and a spasm of pain crossed her face, but she drove it away and smiled again.

"While I was helping Eddie to adjust to the world, I introduced him to a friend from school. They married six months after his escape." Helen's voice became sad. "I helped him get his job with the NSA, too, and because of some vague suspicions he had about the 'Chameleon' project, we discussed it before he started working on it. We could never have imagined that it would result in his death at the hands of another Pretender."

"How did you...?"

"The Centre received a report from Africa about Alex and sent people to find him. They saw the reports that Jarod and the other agents had to file after Alex killed Eddie at the hospital. I read them about two hours later." She sighed sadly. "I'd love to have seen Eddie and Jarod together. I watched the security tape from the hospital and I could see that Eddie was wary but also thrilled to see Jarod again." She smiled. "When he pulled Jarod's gun on him, I couldn't help but find it funny. With what came next, of course, it wasn't, but to see him get it out of Jarod's gun holster without him even noticing and to see the look on Jarod's face, knowing that they were tricks I’d taught him, it was just priceless. Not that I think Eddie would ever have shot him, at least not to kill him. He might have left Jarod with a wound in the arm so he could get away, but that would have been it. He realized pretty soon that Jarod was still the person who'd helped him to escape all those years earlier and, if Alex hadn't killed him..."

She stopped and sighed again, staring at the table. Then she looked up. "After I watched Eddie die, I decided that enough was enough. I'd already been running the Great File Shuffle at the Centre for several months but it was without any real aim in mind, other than to prevent projects like Gemini." She saw the curiosity in Margaret's eyes and shook her head. "That night, after I talked to my friend and comforted her as well as I could, I sat down and began planning the stages of my theft of the mainframe codes." A slightly bitter smile twisted her lips. "I wish Eddie had lived to see it happen. It's the kind of beautiful irony that he'd have loved."

"And Alex?"

"I don't know." Helen stared at a point above Sydney's head for a moment before focusing on his face. "I've been trying to find out, but there's nothing to find about him or what happened. The police requested a report from the clean-up teams - I have no doubt that you won't be surprised to learn they were teams managed by the Centre - but they never got one. There's no sign, either that he's alive or that he's dead. However, if Alex is still alive, they won't make the same mistake twice. It's my belief that he'll be brainwashed or given drug-treatments to make sure he won't be able to escape again." She smiled faintly. "I'm also positive that this time Lyle wouldn't have been in charge before he was killed."

"If he is alive...?"

"If Alex is alive, I really hope he isn't here in America. After they dragged the water, I did a sweep of the Centre. He wasn't in any of the rooms where I looked, so I'm fairly confident he's not there. I think it most likely that the powers that be will ship him off to Africa again and try to retrain him there."

"And do you think they'll succeed?" the psychiatrist asked.

Helen shrugged. "To be honest, I think that, at the first opportunity, Alex will try to kill himself. He hates his life, hates the fact that he's not as good as Jarod, hates the people who did everything to him, particularly Mr. Parker and Lyle, and I think he probably also hates himself now. With that much bitterness building up inside, I can't imagine that he'd want to live, can you?"

"No," admitted Sydney slowly. "No, I don't think he would either."

"Unless they manage to completely strip his old identity and make a new one, I don't think they'll ever be able to control him, but he might let them think they've succeeded for a while and then use the first chance to destroy them."

"And how do you know so much about it?"

"I've been trying to find out everything I could about him ever since I learned that he killed Eddie. Although the Centre mainframe doesn't have a lot, all the African files certainly do. Really the only thing they don't have is any details of his current 'status'. But the information they do have was more than enough for me to create a pretty good picture of what he must have been like." She paused. "I'm not sure I liked what I found either."

# # #


Sydney glanced through the first few pages of the reports that Helen had taken from Mr. Parker's office, putting them down with a sigh. Looking up, he saw Jarod gazing at the ceiling. Getting out of the chair, Sydney walked over and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"What is it, Jarod?"

"Where were you and Mom before?"

"We were down in the kitchen, talking to Helen, but your sister was in here with you, wasn't she?"

"Yes, but..." Jarod studied at the ceiling again for a moment, before looking back at Sydney. "It's not the same."

"We can't all be here all the time, Jarod. And if Miss Parker gets sick..."

"You'd sit with her, too?"

"I'd have to. I couldn't leave Helen to do all the work, or she might get sick as well, and none of us want that to happen."

"I thought she'd had this already."

"She has. I meant more that she might suffer from overwork and exhaustion." He smiled. "She's been working pretty hard, taking care of both of you."

"You have, too."

The psychiatrist smiled. "I've been sitting here with you, but I haven't really been here in the role of doctor."

There was a pause before Jarod spoke again. "I'm glad you're here."

Sydney put out a gentle hand and stroked the younger man's hair. "I am, too."

"Is the Centre looking for us?"

"Not exactly. They're in damage control mode right now. I think they're looking a lot harder for the person who shut down the mainframe."

"Helen?" There was a sudden light of fear in Jarod's eyes. "Do they know who it was? That it was her?"

"No, of course they don't. They have suspicions, of course, but they can't prove them. Don't worry about Helen. She, and all of us, are safe." Sydney could still feel the tension in younger man's hand leaned forward. "Jarod, it's okay. We're safe here, I promise you. Just try to relax now. Try to sleep."

Nodding slightly, Jarod closed his eyes, feeling the comforting touch on his hair as he began to slowly sink down into the darkness.

# # #


"How's she doing?"

Broots looked up at Helen as she appeared in the doorway and smiled. "You know how you said that rash would be itchy?"

She laughed softly and opened a drawer of the bedside table. "I've been waiting for that to start. As soon as she's awake..." Helen looked down to see Debbie's eyes open and the girl stared blankly at her for a moment before sitting up and holding out her hands. Sitting down on the bed, the doctor picked up the girl and cuddled her.

"How are you feeling, sweetie?"

"It itches, Mommy." She wriggled as if to prove the statement and Helen smiled.

"I know it does, baby, but I've got something that'll help. If you lie down again I'll rub it all over you so it feels better. But first you have to take your medicine." She handed the glass to the girl, who drank the contents before she gave it back with a small smile.

"When I'm sick next time, will you make me more medicine that tastes nice?"

"Why don't we get you over this one first, and then we'll think about what disease you're going to get next, huh?"

She put the girl down on the bed and took a jar out of the drawer, opening it. Gently undoing Debbie's pajama top, she rubbed the cool cream onto the girl's warm skin, feeling the child tense slightly and then relax.

"That's nice, Mommy."

"I'm glad, sweetheart." Helen rubbed a generous amount over the rash and then gently rolled the girl onto her back, applying it to her chest and arms. By the time she had finished, Debbie was asleep again and Helen was able to do up the top and put her back against the pillow without her waking. Replacing the jar lid, she rolled her eyes and then rubbed her hands on a damp cloth.

"We've got an entertaining few days to look forward to."

"Oh?" Broots looked up. "In what way?"

"Well, she's not feverish anymore and I'd be rather surprised if she went up more than a point or two tonight..."

"So she's getting to the grumpy stage?"

"Or she soon will be. With any luck, though, it should only last for a few days and then I would expect her to be close to fine, except, as I said, for that lingering cough and a tendency towards weariness for the next few weeks."

"And Jarod?"

"He's about a day behind in terms of recovery."

"You'd better not say that to him."

"Oh, really?" Helen raised an eyebrow. "And why not?"

"Well,” the technician responded in amusement. “He always likes to be ahead of other people..."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"So now what?"

"We'll have to wait a few weeks until the first of the projects can give us a result to compare with what we have here." The man flicked the pile of pages in front of him, a look of irritation on his face. "Then we’ll know whether to trust what we have here or if we need to perform more tests to check all of our results."

"And what prices are we looking at for buying back some of our older material?"

"Inflated ones," the third man growled. "Highly inflated ones. If I didn't know better, I’d say these companies know what's been happening."

The first man turned to the second. "Let's get a complete staff run-down started. I want detailed information on every staff member working at this place, the same way we used to have on the mainframe. But I also want to find out if any of them might have other agendas."

"Yes, sir." The second man glanced at another, sitting in the corner of the room, who immediately rose and walked toward the door.

"And Cox?"

"Sir?" The man turned, his face expressionless.

"This is your test. If we find a single error in it, you won't get a chance to make a second one, if we have to coat your desk with Ammon too, to make certain of it."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"I want to get up!" Debbie sat up in bed, glaring at her father when he appeared in the doorway.

"Good morning to you, too, sweetie." Broots walked in and sat down on the bed next to her. "You're obviously feeling better today."

"I'm sick of bed."

"You're also just plain sick and sick people should stay in bed."

"I'm tired of this room." Her voice contained the hint of a whine and, in an attempt to distract her, Broots looked around.

"Where's Helen?"

"In with Jarod." The girl folded her arms sulkily. "She said she'd spend more time in here with me now that his mommy's here, but she hasn't."

"Oh, she has, baby." He stroked the side of her head. "But you've been too sleepy to notice it."

"I want her here with me. I can't sleep when she's not here."

"And if I am here, will you try to sleep, Debbie?"

The girl glanced up to find the woman in the doorway and the sulkiness vanished as she nodded. "Uh huh."

"Is that a promise?"

"I'll try." She paused, nestling against Helen as she was picked up. "Can I get up today?"

"No, not today, baby."

"Tomorrow?"

"We'll see how you are then."

Nodding, Debbie closed her eyes, feeling the woman's touch on her hair, and she could hear the muffled sound of the heartbeat in her ear as she began to relax. A few moments later, her arms slipped down from around Helen's neck and Debbie was sound asleep. Gently, the woman put her down on the bed, covering her and then walking over to the chair, casting a rueful glance at the girl's father as he sat beside her.

"I told you we'd hit the grumpy stage soon. This is the time when I generally don't visit my patient any longer." She rolled her eyes. "They go from perfect angels to sulky devils in the wink of an eye. It's most disillusioning."

He laughed softly. "Is it because she's tired or...?"

"No, it's a reaction to so many days of doing nothing. They don't have enough energy to get up to anything yet but they're bored and want to try anyway. If you let them do whatever they want then they exhaust themselves very quickly. That's how she fell asleep so fast. She used up her limited energy reserves on getting angry. If we'd let her get up, she would have drowsed off again before she even got downstairs and that's no use at all. She'd still be complaining."

Broots grinned, pushing the computer over to her. "Want an update on what your brother's up to?"

Helen groaned and swatted him with a cushion. "I told you, I don't want to have it forced on my attention right now." She slumped back in the chair. "But you might as well tell me what plans the Triumvirate's made about stringing me up from the nearest tree for destroying the mainframe."

The technician smiled. "Well, they've set Cox to make personnel profiles, Raines to go through the entire Centre - all 27 Sublevels - and see what stray hints are floating around from projects of bygone days and Mr. Parker is interviewing all of the lab staff, technicians, etcetera, to find out what they can remember."

"Since when does Mr. Parker have skills in the interviewing department?"

"Actually I think they were just desperately trying to find a job for him and neither of your brother's fellow Triumvirate members," he grinned and ducked as Helen swatted him again, "seem too keen to do that himself."

"And me?"

"You're Public Enemy Number 1. If they could get hold of you right now..."

"...family connections wouldn't count for anything. I know."

The technician raised an eyebrow and Helen laughed. "I was just getting a jump on you. Oh, and I thought you might like to know that it doesn't seem as though you were generous in handing the measles on to Miss Parker. If she does get it now, we won't even know for sure if it was from you, Debbie or Jarod."

"Still, she'll no doubt try to blame me."

"Has she bitten your head off once since she got here?"

"Just because she hasn't done it yet..."

"Stop jumping to conclusions. Miss Parker is well rested, enjoying a vacation in which she doesn't have to do anything but sleep and, for those reasons, has no basis on which to treat you the way she used to at the Centre. Although, if you're missing it, I'm sure I could put in a request..."

"Thanks." Broots grinned. "But I'll pass."

# # #


Helen opened the bedroom door softly and looked in to find Jarod lying against Margaret's shoulder, his eyes shut as she stroked his hair.

"I told him that he should ask you to do that." She looked down with a smile as the man drowsily opened his eyes. "Nice?"

"Mmm hmm." Jarod closed his eyes again, moving a hand slightly on his chest in a vain attempt to scratch before giving up and relaxing.

"How much longer will he be like this?" Margaret asked quietly.

The doctor tried not to laugh. "Indefinitely, if you'll let him. But he's probably up to the last days of the fever, and then we'll have another week before the rash fades to nothing. He'll have a couple more days of coughing and reduced energy before he's basically back to normal. Then I suppose we'll come up here one morning and find the window open in an empty room, the way I did with Eddie."

"He ran away?" Margaret raised an eyebrow. "I got the feeling he'd stay around."

Laughing, Helen sat down. "Actually, he did. It was the first snowfall of winter and the first that he could remember seeing. Unlike your son Eddie didn't sneak out to see snow as a kid and cause the Centre all sorts of stress." Helen laughed again. "In fact, I have the feeling that Jarod was just a troublemaker."

Margaret rolled her eyes, but didn't comment.

"I woke up, feeling cold, and went into Eddie's room - this room - only to find that the window was wide open and his pajamas were lying in a crumpled heap on his pillow. Like you, I thought that he'd run away and, to tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed. I never planned on forcing him to stay, but I hoped that he would at least say goodbye. Just as I arrived at that gloomy decision, an impeccably aimed snowball came flying in through the window and landed in front of me. He saw me come into the room and thought that would be the best way of letting me know that he was nearby."

"So what did you do?"

"What else could I do? I got dressed, went downstairs and scrubbed his face for scaring me like that." She laughed. "I have to say he got that idea very quickly. I never got so close to him again, at least not while we were outside."
Part 9 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 9



Ashe, New York
Margaret laughed softly, but Jarod never moved. "And after that?"

"We played for several hours, until I said that he was keeping me away from two vitally important things that are compulsory in that kind of weather. Naturally, he asked me what they were. I said I'd show him."

"And those two things are? As if I couldn't guess..."

"So you haven't forgotten?" Helen smiled. "I did wonder..."

"Helen, if those two things aren't hot cocoa and an open fire to bask in front of, I'll never speak to you again."

"What would you do if I said you were wrong?"

"I'd get angry with you for lying."

"You're right. It was the first open fire I'd had since bringing him to my house and he stared into it for ages."

"Well, that would have made two of you. If anybody can stare dreamily into leaping flames better than you, I'll be very surprised."

"Just because you talked to me for twenty minutes and I never heard a word..."

"And you even made little acquiescent noises as if you were listening."

"You know," Helen looked at Margaret thoughtfully, "I never picked you as being the type to hold grudges."

"Just tell me what you did next."

"We spent the rest of the day inside. Just after we came in, it started to snow and I wouldn't let him go outside in it for more than ten minutes. Of all the new things he had to experience, I thought influenza was probably one of the least pleasant. And you're right. After we finished our fire gazing, we played games - board and card games - for the whole day. We also drank nearly all the cocoa I had here. I don't know if you remember how much I like it, but Eddie liked it even more than me."

"Not possible."

"Not only possible, but actual. Still, after more than thirty years of no sweet things, the way I make cocoa..."

"So the spoon dissolves from the amount of sugar?"

"Just like that, yes. Well, he drank two mugs to every one of mine and, after I told him I only drank it when it snowed, made me teach him how to make it so he wouldn't have to wait for that sort of weather to have it himself."

Margaret looked down at her son. "I suppose Jarod was like that, too, at first."

"I don't think he's changed all that much." Helen smiled. "I hid his bag so you wouldn't see all the junk food inside it, but he's definitely addicted to PEZ and he probably won't object when he learns ice cream is my recommended invalid diet."

"Have you gone shopping yet?"

"No, but I got the supermarket to deliver some groceries around here and I made sure that there was plenty of ice cream included in the order. Jelly too. A little bird told me that that was one of Debbie's favorite foods."

# # #


Helen carried the tray into the room and put it down on the little girl's lap, placing the spoon in her eager hand and then lifting the lid. For several seconds Debbie stared at the contents before she looked up and beamed.

"How did you know?"

"A little birdie told me."

"Which birdie?

Broots started whistling as he stared out of the window and Helen nodded in his direction. "That birdie."

Debbie glanced at her father and then at Helen, the spoon already moving up to her mouth. "Isn't he a big birdie, not a little one?"

Hiding her laughter, Helen nodded as she sat on the bed. "I think you may just be right about that. But he's a very useful birdie. He told me how much you love jelly and ice cream, so there's lots of it down in the kitchen."

"How long do I get it for?" The words were muffled and the doctor smiled.

"As long as you don't choke on it, the next few days anyway."

"Is that all?"

"Well, if you and Jarod don't finish it between you, I might have to give you what's left over to take home."

The girl's face fell as she looked up. "We have to go home?"

"Don't you want to go home, Debbie?"

"No." A tear slipped down her face. "I want to stay here. When we go home, you'll be left all alone here and I'll never see you again."

"But when you go home, you'll be able to sleep in your own bed again and see all your friends at school..."

"But you won't be there!" The girl’s voice was a dismal wail as Debbie, ignoring the tray, threw her arms around the woman sitting beside her and began to sob. "I don't want to get better. I want to be sick forever so that you'll be here."

"If you stay sick then your Daddy will be worrying about you. You don't want him to do that, do you?" Helen watched as Broots silently picked up the bowl, using it to scoop the spilled food off the blankets.

"No, but I don't want to leave you either. Everybody else has a mom and I hoped I'd get to keep you as my mom, too. And now you're going to send us home and I'll never see you again."

"Did I say that?" Helen looked down at the small, tear-stained face. "Did I say a single thing about you never seeing me again?"

"But you'll be here and we'll be back in Delaware..."

"And do you know how far away from Delaware we are?"

She felt as Debbie, face buried in Helen's shoulder, shook her head. "We're only two states away. You drive through a bit of New Jersey and a bit of Pennsylvania and then you're in Delaware. It's only a few hours away. Considering I brought you, your dad and Sydney here, do you think I can't drive that little distance and come to visit you a lot?"

"But I won't see you every day, and you won't be able to drive me to school like I was hoping you would, and you won't be there to help me with my homework..."

"Sweetie, even if I did come and leave nearby, I'd still have to work."

"But you'd be able to find time, I know you would. But you can't do that from here; it's too far."

"Debbie, I'm in Delaware, right in Blue Cove, just about every third day and I plan on being there that often in the future too, once everything gets back to normal. I think I'll be able to find time to come and see you during that time."

"How come?"

"How come what, baby?"

"How come you're in Blue Cove so often?"

Helen exchanged amused glances with Broots. "I often visit your Daddy's work."

"Do you help them?"

"Yes," Helen responded slowly. "That's right."

The girl's sobs were less frequent and Helen picked up the blanket, folded on the end of the bed. Wrapping it around Debbie, she stood up and carried her over to the armchair, sitting down while Broots stripped and remade the bed. Gently she began to stroke the girl's hair, holding her close with the other hand, and feeling as her heart rate began to slow down.

"If you don't get better, sweetie, then Miss Parker can't come up and see you and I know that she's looking forward to that. Aren't you looking forward to seeing her too?"

"Not if I don't get to see you afterwards."

"That's just silly, Debbie." Helen's voice became firmer. "You're both going to still be here when you see her again and I'll still be here too. In fact, I'll probably even stay in the room while she's here."

"P… promise?"

"I don't promise because I don't know for sure but I think it's pretty likely." Smiling down at the girl, Helen produced her trump card. "You know that book she gave you?"

"Mmm hmm."

"Well, I've got the others in the series and she could read those to you when you see her. Won't that be nice?"

"Uh huh." Debbie yawned, snuggling into Helen's neck as her eyes closed. "Very nice."

Her voice was drowsy and she let one hand drop down from its position on the back of Helen's neck, finally hanging down against the woman's chest. Within a few moments, the other began to fall as well, slipping along Helen's arm until it was hanging down beside the arm of the chair. As soon as the bed was remade, Helen stood up and gently placed the girl down on it, letting Broots to tuck her in. A sigh escaped her lips as Helen sank into the chair and turned to stare out of the window.

# # #


"Miss Parker?"

The woman looked up from her book with a smile. "Is it that time of the day again already? How time flies when you're doing nothing."

Helen laughed. "Well, can I make an appointment in your frantic schedule for you to go up and visit a little girl who wants to see you?"

"What, and disrupt the nine o'clock nap that I somehow squeeze in between that at eight and at ten?" Miss Parker sighed in mock-annoyance. "Let me talk about it with my secretary and I'll get back to you."

"Well don't take too long," Helen laughed as she put the thermometer in the other woman's ear. "If you do, Debbie might fill up her own hectic day."

Miss Parker smiled again. "I'd love to see her, if you think it's safe."

"Well, she's not infectious anymore, and if you're going to get it, you'll have those lovely bacterium infesting your system already. I’ll ask you to keep away from my other patient for another couple of days though."

"Surely Jarod won't be infectious for that much longer than Debbie?"

"No, but he seems to be taking a bit longer to be getting over it than she is. Oh, and Debbie asked if you'd read the other books in the Little Women series, which I also have, when you go up and see her."

"That sounds great." Miss Parker looked at Helen as she sat down on a chair on the other side of the room. "Did you like that series, too?"

"I still do." The doctor smiled. "It was in a package of things that my mother left to be given to me when I turned thirteen. It took a grand total of four days for me to get through all four books."

"How?"

"Reading under the desk in class, under the covers in bed, under the table during meals; every spare moment that I had, I was reading them. I finished the last one during dinner on the fourth night."

"And you didn't get into trouble?"

"When I fell asleep in class the next day, I was slightly less than popular, yes."

The brunette laughed. "I bet you were. And how is Debbie?"

"Well, she's a bit thinner than she was when you last saw her but, with all the ice cream and jelly she's eating, it shouldn't be too long before she's back to normal. She's got a nasty-sounding cough but that's standard for the measles; don't let it worry you. And her skin looks like you could play 'join the dots' on her tummy, but unless you want to suggest it, that's just another thing to ignore. The one thing I'll ask is that you don't encourage her into any vigorous activity. She's still got fairly small reserves of energy and I don't want them tried much yet," Helen smiled. "Clothes shopping, for example, or anything of that sort."

Miss Parker laughed and got off the bed. "I see that it's time somebody was up in the kitchen, making dinner. Has anyone accepted that job yet?"

"Sydney and Broots are doing it. Want to make sure they don't burn my house to the ground?"

"Sure." She smiled. "Is Broots still scared of me?"

"Oh, of course. We'll have to hope that he isn't holding anything when you come up the stairs or he might drop it."

Laughing, the two women headed up into the kitchen.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"So we've still heard nothing from Miss Parker or any of the other members of the pursuit team?"

"Not an email. Nor, it might interest you to hear, have we heard from our missing Pretender in all that time."

The first man sneered. "What do you expect him to do, call up to say hello?"

"It seems rather strange that he hasn't shown any concern in the fact that Sydney’s missing."

"What are you suggesting, that Jarod was the one who kidnapped them and sent Miss Parker that email?"

"Well, it's possible, isn't it?"

"And what good can that possibly do him? He can't hold them indefinitely and he hasn't sent a ransom demand thus far. What could he be planning to do?"

"I don't know; that's the problem."

The first man leaned forward, his elbows resting on the marble tabletop with his fingers pressed together. "How long have they been missing exactly?"

"It's going on for two weeks now."

"Fine. They've got one more week. If we don't hear from either Jarod or else one of the team in that time, we'll start scouring the country for them."

# # #


Ashe, New York
The light tapping roused Helen from the sleep into which she had just fallen and she rolled over. Recognizing the silhouette in the doorway, she sat up.

"What is it, Sydney?"

"It's Jarod, Helen. It seems like his fever's gone up again, but he's tossing around so much that I can't get an accurate temperature reading."

Getting out of bed, she pulled on her silk bathrobe, and the two doctors hurried up the two flights of stairs to the bedroom. As Sydney had stated, Jarod was tossing violently on the bed, muttering incoherently and inaudibly. Helen took her bag from Sydney and moved to the bedside, glancing at the women in the corner and then at the psychiatrist. Pulling out a stethoscope, she held Jarod down with a gentle hand on his shoulder, moving the instrument across his chest. Two fingers on his neck allowed her to feeling the heightened pulse and Helen flashed a light into his eyes before turning to the other occupants of the room.

"I want to give him a full examination. Will you go downstairs, please? I'll call you when it's over."

Seeing the look of anxiety on Margaret's face, she stepped over and rested one hand on her arm.

"I'll wager my reputation that this isn't anything serious. He'll be fine very soon, I promise."

As the door closed behind the three departing people, she replaced the light back in her bag and pulled the stethoscope away from her throat. Taking a seat in the corner, Helen watched as Jarod continued to toss on the bed in front of her. After several moments, she spoke.

"Okay, Jarod. You and I both know that this is just 'pretend'. Were you worried about losing your touch or is there some other reason for this extreme behaviour that's causing your mother, sister and Sydney to panic so much?"

When he didn't respond, she leaned forward.

"It must have been very irritating for you to hear that Sydney was going downstairs to get me. You knew that I wouldn't be as upset as they were, and that I'd be able to see through it. The fact that you've got enough energy for this little display tells me just how put on your weakness of the last few days has been. You've been saving yourself for it, haven't you, Jarod? In fact, I'd suggest you've had this planned for a while."

The man on the bed quietened, no longer moving so violently, and Helen got up, walking over to glare at him.

"Oh, stop it," she spat. "As I said, we both know this is fake, so it's going to be no great shock to me when you open your eyes."

Jarod lay still for a moment before looking at her. "How did you know?"

"You might be able to fake a delirious episode, but it's virtually impossible to raise your pulse the way it must have been with the other signs. There was no obvious cause either - no pneumonia, no infections, no head injuries. I was always rather good at arithmetic, Jarod, and I never had any problem getting four when I added two and two."

"S… so what are you going to do?"

"You're going to tell me why and then I'll go down and calm your poor mother and sister." Helen glared at him again. "Although you don't deserve me to listen to you, doing that to her or Sydney either. You've probably aged all of them ten years in ten minutes, and it would serve you right if the fear behind this disgusting display tonight were to be fulfilled."

"You...know?"

"I know you're simply pulling a more high-tech version of the tearful begging I heard from Debbie today when she realized that she's going to lose her 'mommy' after she goes back to Delaware. This is the same idea, but I wouldn't have expected to see such a despicably selfish show from a person that usually thinks about other people before himself."

Jarod flinched at the scornful tone in her voice. His voice when he finally spoke was hesitant. "So why are you wanting me to tell you when you already know the reason for it?"

"Because if you have to explain it, you'll realize even more just how deplorable it was. And I want to make sure you know that." She pulled up a chair to the side of the bed and sat down. "I've had patients younger than six with more maturity and consideration than you showed tonight, and all because of a fear that's not really even justified."

"I… it isn't?"

"Has your mother told you she's going to leave when you're well?"

"Well..."

"Yes or no, Jarod. I'm not listening to maybes now."

"No."

"Have you got any reason for thinking that she will?"

"I… I guess…"

Helen slammed a fist on the bedside table, causing both Jarod and the bottle of medicine to jump. "Have you?"

"No," he admitted in a tiny voice.

"So, on the basis of an unjustified fear you pull the most revolting stunt I've ever seen in my whole medical career, and worst of all, you make your own mother frantic; a mother who's seen you on only one other occasion since you were four years old! If you were young enough, Jarod, I'd slap you! For selfish, immature and inconsiderate behaviour, I'm yet to see your equal."

Jarod blushed redder than he had been at any point during his illness and stared at his hands as Helen continued, her voice revealing as much of the disgust she felt as her words.

"I'm not quite sure what you thought it was going to gain either. You must have known that even if Sydney didn't spot this, I would. Do you really think he'd be negligent enough not to call me? I'm your doctor, not him. If he hadn't called me and there really had been something wrong, Margaret could have sued him for every penny he's got! As a man aware of the rules of law, and also with the benefit of several days of planning, not to mention your supposedly heightened mental ability, I wouldn't have expected that point not to register at some stage."

"I… I didn't think…"

"No, I'll say you didn't think! That's probably the most sensible statement that I've ever heard you make. The only possible way for you to have thought less about this is if you'd been in a coma."

"I… I just wanted…" The sharp words made him even more hesitant. "I was… kind of hoping…"

"You were 'kind of hoping' it would lengthen the time your mother, Emily and Sydney were here. You thought about your point of view, but not about their feelings and concerns. Sydney, at least, knows that complications of the measles can be fatal. How do you think he's feeling now, having seen you seemingly raving?"

"Well, I… I thought…" He fell silent and Helen spoke again.

"The fact is that you didn't think at all, did you?"

Jarod hesitated. "No," he confessed finally.

"Good." She folded her arms. "I'm glad you can at least admit that."

After a pause of almost five minutes, Helen spoke again. "So, why did you do it? Let me hear a nice, concise, genius explanation to raise my opinion of you, that, right at this moment, is sinking quicker than the Titanic on fast-forward."

"I don't want to be alone anymore!" The words were almost forced out and Jarod turned eyes on her that begged for understanding. Helen's voice was ice-cold in response.

"I've been alone for several years. You'd cope."

"I don't want to cope! I don't want to leave here and have it all go back to the way it was before, where I only see the people I love more than anything in the world by chance. I want them near me, close to me, so that I can talk to them whenever I want. You can't possibly understand!"

"Oh, can't I?" Helen's tones were hard. "I lost my best friend when Alex murdered him, and I lost contact with my favorite teacher after she tried to protect me from the Centre by not sending letters anymore, meaning that I'll never be able to talk to one of them and I thought I'd never hear from the other again - so tell me, do I understand?"

"M… maybe…"

"Besides all that, what makes you think your mother's going to let you go? She's just got you back again - do you really think she'll just happily wave goodbye and turn away for another four years? If you don't know her that well, I do and I'm sure that she has no intention of it." Helen raised an eyebrow. "In future, Jarod, it's a far better idea to get confirmation before you let your imagination run riot. And if you didn't feel comfortable asking her, you could always have asked me."

"You were… with Debbie."

"And she said I was with you. Somebody had better tell me where I really was, because I had a feeling I'd been spending all my time with at least one of you."

He looked up at her, but the expression on her face sent his gaze back to the blanket, and Jarod remained silent as Helen returned to the former topic.

"Do you know how absolutely terrified Margaret looked when I entered this room before? I've seen your mother experience a wide range of emotions, Jarod, but I've never seen her look as frantic as she did at that moment. And your sister wasn't a lot better. I think they were both waiting for me to say that you were going to die then and there. And Sydney was trying to hide his concern so it wasn't adding to those of Margaret and Emily, but I learnt many years ago how to see through that sort of professional detachment and he was just as worried as they were. Of all the things you could have done to make them stay, this was the worst. It was also, I should add, the most easy to see through."

"So… what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to tell them it was just a temporary setback but you'll be a lot better in the morning. Whether you've got enough courage to admit the real reason for it to them is up to you."

"Courage?" He finally met her gaze, a look of outrage on his face. "Are you trying to suggest that I'm a coward?"

"What would you call your recent behaviour? 'Gee, if I don't do something drastic, my mom might leave when I get better. I know, I'll fake an illness so she doesn't. Maybe I should ask if that fear's justified? No, I'm too scared of the answer. I'll do my plan instead.' Anything in there sounding familiar?"

She got up, pushed the chair back and walked to the door. Turning, her face was expressionless, but a gleam in her eye still hinted at the anger she felt.

"Jarod, in the morning I'm going to act like this never happened, but it's done serious things to the good opinion I had of you. If you want to resurrect that opinion, it'll take a lot of work. Whether you feel it's worth the effort is a decision you'll have to make yourself."

She left the room, quietly closing the door.

# # #


"How is he? Is he okay?"

"He's fine." Helen tried to push aside the anger that was still simmering, and filled her voice with the profession calm that she had used so often to anxious parents in the hospital. "I told you that it wouldn't be anything serious and it isn't. But I'm sure he'd like you to go up and see him."

"He…" Margaret swallowed hard. "He won't… die?"

Helen silently cursed but the reassuring smile on her face never moved. "Die? Of course he won't die. It was just a temporary setback. You've got to expect those sometimes. But he'll be just fine in the morning. As I said before, I'm positive he'd like to see you before you go to bed."

"B… bed?" Margaret looked at Helen as if she had grown an extra leg.

"You weren't planning to sit up again tonight, were you? Of course you ought to go to bed. Like I said, he'll be fine tomorrow, and he'll want to talk to you then. It's not going to help if you're both half-asleep because you've been up all night worrying about him. There’s no need for it anyway. But he'll be better for a night on his own. If you're there, he'd want to talk and Jarod really needs a good night's sleep just to be sure that he gets over this properly. In fact, I think it’d be a good idea if we go up now and tell him that you're going to bed."

With a mixture of reassurance and encouragement, she urged the two women up to the bedroom, Sydney following them silently, his eyes revealing his tension. Helen walked over, gently shaking the man who was lying on the bed with his eyes closed.

"Jarod, nap time's over."

Opening his eyes, he looked past her up to where his mother was standing, her face pale, and he hesitated. The doctor filled the gap.

"They've come up to say goodnight, Jarod. I'm sure you won't mind if your mom and Em go off to bed now. It's been a long day, in more ways than one, and they can probably both do with a good night's sleep."

Margaret eyed her former student for a minute before bending down to brush her son's hair away from his face, kissing his forehead softly. "Good night, Jarod. I'll see you in the morning, okay?"

He nodded silently, hugging his mother with a firmness that surprised her, but gave her greater confidence in Helen's statement. Emily eyed him briefly before turning to the doctor.

"But… are you sure…?"

"Positive." Helen's voice was firm, full of authority and left no room for arguments. "Jarod can do with a night of peace and quiet on his own. He'll appreciate the two of you even more when you come in tomorrow. But I think he'd agree that one night for the two of you, away from the stress of caring for him, has to be a good thing." She turned, eyeing Jarod with a degree of severity. "Right?"

He nodded and then hugged his sister. "Sleep well, Em. I'll be fine."

"Well," she stepped back hesitantly. "As long as you're sure…"

The two women went out of the room, Emily looking over her shoulder before she pulled the door almost closed and then Helen glanced at Sydney. At the expression on his face, she raised an eyebrow.

"No, Sydney, as his doctor I won't even allow you to sit up here with him. That's a medical order. He needs some time on his own."

He turned to her. "Don't you think, in view of what happened before..."

"I'll stay up here for a while, just in case anything happens, but I'm sure it won't."

Nodding slowly, the psychiatrist gently squeezed Jarod's hand before going over to the door.

"Oh, Sydney?"

Looking back, he saw a light of amusement in Helen's face and paused. "Yes?"

"Do you need something to help you sleep or will you be able to manage on your own this time?"

# # #


Jarod watched as the door opened and Helen came in, closing it behind her and sitting in a chair on the other side of the room.

"Are they asleep?"

"Your sister is, and your mother should be soon, as should Sydney."

"So you…?"

"I added a little something to the drinks I gave them. Nobody asked if I'd done so, or refused, so either they knew I'd do it or they were too tired and worried about you to think of it. Regardless of whatever's true, none of them will wake up until late-ish tomorrow morning, and they all need it."

"And this is punishment, right?"

"Actually I prefer to think of it as giving you time for serious consideration. I don't like the idea that I punish my patients, although sometimes it's necessary." Helen turned a cool gaze on him. "But usually only to the very young ones."

"I…" He paused. "I'm sorry, Helen."

"I'm not the one you need to be apologizing to, Jarod." The hard tone of her voice began to fade. "I'm not the one who suffered because of what you did."

"I'm going to tell them. Tomorrow."

She smiled faintly. "I'm glad to hear it. They won't worry as much about you when they know it wasn't anything medical."

"And… tomorrow… after that…?"

"What about 'tomorrow after that'?"

"Can I get up?"

"I'd be surprised, after your little display, if you have the energy. One more day in bed wouldn't hurt, but we'll see."

"But I can eat, right?"

"You'd have been eating for two days now if you hadn't pulled that silly stunt."

He blushed again before looking up. "You weren't kidding when you said you could be severe, were you?"

"No, although I didn't think I'd need to be quite this severe. But then a little child's game like that doesn't really deserve much better, does it?"

He stared at the bedclothes and didn't answer, the red still burning in his cheeks.

"I suppose you like ice cream as much as Eddie did?"

"It's…" He trailed off and stared at her. "How do you know Eddie?"

"I did know Eddie," she stressed the past tense sadly, "after picking him up along a road in Blue Cove." A slight smile pulled the corners of her mouth. "Unlike one other person I could name, he didn't go to the extent of getting hit by my car and then jumping into it. He just begged for a ride, so I gave him one."

She told him the story that Sydney and Margaret had heard earlier, seeing the same emotion on his face that she could feel in her heart. When she had finished, he looked up.

"Was that what you meant before when you said Alex killed your best friend?"

"Yes, Jarod." She spoke softly. "Eddie lived here for almost six months, getting to know the world and the people in it."

"And you were… close?"

"He thought he was in love with me. He even asked me to marry him."

"You refused?"

"I never believed that he really felt that way about me. He changed very suddenly once he met his future wife and that, more than anything else, convinced me that I'd been right in refusing him."

"But you stayed friends?"

"He relied on my advice, my answers to his questions, and he continued to be as affectionate as he'd ever been, but there was something different. The warmth of earlier days wasn't there anymore."

"And then he married?"

"Yes. I'd introduced him to one of my old friends from school and I could see right away that she fell for him, hard. When, a few days later, he came to talk to me in the same way that you talked to Sydney about women, I knew that he was falling in love with her. It made me glad that I'd refused him."

"But it still hurt."

She smiled again, faintly. "It always hurts, Jarod, particularly when you know that something you said was painful for the other person to hear. But seeing them so happy together made it easier."

"Did he do what I did?"

"Go out and help people, you mean? Not in the same way as you do. The Centre wasn't looking for him so it wasn't dangerous for him to get to know people. But if he'd starting changing his job every other week, I think some of them might have begun to wonder, don't you?"

Jarod grinned faintly. "So what did he do?"

"Eddie started working at the NSA a month before he got married, a bit over five months after you both escaped. He worked there until his death, as you know."

"How did you...?"

"I read the reports that you and the other agents had to put in about that incident, and then the final report on Alex after he 'fell', as they saw it."

"You don't believe that?"

"There was a security camera on that tower nobody knew about. Nobody thought to look for one. But I wanted to know what happened, if there could have been a way for Alex to survive. Once the investigation was over, I went up there and scouted around. I found the camera, located the recording room and 'lifted' the tape from that day." She looked at him sadly. "I heard every word."

Jarod shook his head slightly to erase the memory of that conversation from his mind before he looked up. "Do you think he could have survived?"

"As I said to Sydney, I don't know. It's possible."

"He never surfaced."

"From my view of the scene, he could have swum underwater and come up somewhere else."

"He must have had broken bones."

"It's possible to swim with broken bones. It hurts like crazy, but it can be done."

"Personal experience?"

"Sadly." She smiled. "I broke my leg by falling into deep water and had to swim back to the shore for help. It took a while but, as it was a choice between that or drowning, I decided to put up with the pain. I'm big on life."

"How old were you?"

"Nearly twelve." Helen laughed softly. "I don't suggest you try it. As I said, it hurts like mad."

"I had no plans to." He paused. "Will you tell me more about...what Eddie did when he got out of the Centre?"

"Not now." Glancing at her watch, the doctor stood up. "It's late now and even if you don't want to sleep, I do."
Walking over, she put the back of her hand against his forehead, nodding in quiet satisfaction. "I think you'll be fine for tonight but I arranged with Broots to sleep in Debbie's room, on the camp bed, instead of him, so you can call me if anything's wrong."

Before she could walk away, he seized her hand in both of his and looked into her eyes. "I really am very sorry, Helen."

"Yes, Jarod." She released her hand gently. "I know you are."

# # #


Softly she entered the other bedroom, walking over to kiss the little girl in the bed before taking off the silk bathrobe and lying down. She closed her eyes, but opened them again after a moment as her right hand rubbed a point on the ring finger of her other hand where the gold band had rested for a few minutes before she took it off and gave it back. The memory of the pain on his face as she did so brought tears to her eyes; tears she hadn't shed since the day of his marriage. It's true, she told herself firmly. Eddie wasn't really in love with you. But you were in love with him. A small, treacherous voice spoke softly in the back of her mind and wouldn't be silenced. Tears starting to slide down her face, she sat up, leaning against the wall.

Shaking her head sadly, she got out of bed and went over to the window. For a minute she rested her face against the glass, looking at the stars that shone, clear and cold, in the night's sky. She didn't think that she was in love with him anymore. She had felt her feelings fading when she saw him with his wife, his children. It hurt when she had watched him gunned down at the hospital but it was the pain of friendship broken forever, nothing else. All this, she told herself firmly as she got back into bed, is needlessly painful. It's only making it harder to do what you said you’d do: treat Jarod as if nothing happened. Nodding slightly, she closed her eyes and tried to sleep.
Feeling the warm body lying beside her, Helen opened her eyes, looking down at the face that was turned up to hers.

"Debbie? What's the matter, baby?"

"Why were you crying, Mommy?"

Helen pulled back slightly in surprise. "What makes you think I was?"

Reaching up, Debbie wiped off the traces of moisture that clung treacherously to Helen's cheek. "I saw you. They shone in the light from the window. What was making you sad?"

"I was...thinking about somebody I miss."

"So why don't you go and find them, like you found Jarod's mom?"

"I can't find this person, Debbie. Not anymore."

"Are they dead?"

"Yes." Helen put out an arm and pulled the little girl close to her, thankfully changing the subject. "Now tell me why you get out of bed when I told you specifically not to."

"I wanted to make sure you weren't too sad." Debbie looked up again and a look of fear came into her eyes. "Don't be mad, Mommy!"

"I'm not mad, sweetie." Helen began to stroke the girl's hair. "I promise I'm not."

"You were mad before."

"How do you know?"

"I could hear you. Daddy and I could both hear you. You sounded really angry."

"I was, sweetheart, but I'm not mad now. And certainly not with you."

"Were you mad with Jarod?"

"Yes, I was."

"Why?"

"Because he did something very selfish that made his mommy worry about him and I don't like selfish people."

Fear flashed in the girl's eyes again. "I'm not selfish, am I?"

"Of course not, Debbie. What made you think that?"

"Well, I got sick and you've spent all your time here with me, when you haven't sat with Jarod or been asleep, and…"

"And how would that make you selfish?” Helen interrupted soothingly. “I'm a doctor, baby, and I like looking after sick people. That's my job, remember? And I like my job."

"Uh huh." Snuggling closer, the girl put both her hands around Helen's neck. "So you like looking after me?"

"I like you as a person, sweetheart, and it was looking after you that gave me the chance to start liking you."

"And will you always be my Mommy, even if you don't live in Blue Cove?"

"Of course I will." Helen gently kissed the girl's forehead. "Try to sleep now, baby, so you'll have enough energy to get up tomorrow and come downstairs."

Nodding, the girl nestled into the woman's arms as she closed her eyes, her face pressed up into Helen's shoulder and her arms wrapped around her neck.

# # #


"Good morning, Broots." With an amused glint in her eye, Miss Parker watched as the technician jumped visibly. Coming into the kitchen, she sat at the table before looking at him. "Is that coffee I could smell all the way down in my room?"

"Y… yes, Miss Parker. Do you want some?"

"That'd be nice." She glanced at him. "What are you waiting for me to do, Broots, bite your head off?"

"To be frank," he turned and looked at her, "yes."

Hiding a smile, she looked up. "Have I done it yet?"

"No. That's why I'm waiting for it."

Quiet laughter from the doorway made the kitchen's occupants turn to see Helen leaning against the doorframe and Broots got up to get out another mug, filling it with coffee.

"How's Debbie?"

"Fine. She had a good night's sleep."

"In your bed, with you."

The doctor looked up, startled. "When did you come in?"

"About three. I was awake and thought I'd check."

Helen raised an eyebrow. "Don't you trust me, Broots?"

"Completely, but she was nervous after hearing you… uh, talking to Jarod."

"Yelling at him, you mean. Yes, I hadn't thought until later that she'd have heard it and that you probably would, too. I hope it didn't wake her up."

"No but, like I said, she was a bit nervous."

Miss Parker looked at the other woman. "What did he do?"

"He was playing with his mother's emotions. That's the one thing I can't stand."

"In other words, you aren't going to tell us."

"Not the details, no." Helen eyed her sharply. "It's really none of your business."

"And how is Jarod this morning?"

"A lot better than he was yesterday. If you did want to see him, despite what I said to you then, I think he's well enough to cope with seeing you. So long as he doesn't try to run, anyway..."

The brunette grinned. "I promise, I won't pull a gun on him until I get your medical clearance to do so."
Part 10 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 10



Ashe, New York
"Hungry, Jarod?" Helen’s voice asked.

Jarod turned from his examination of the world that he could see through the window to see her in the doorway, holding a tray.

"Ravenous."

"I thought you might be." Placing the tray on the table, she took a few pillows out of the cupboard and tucked them behind his head. When he was settled, she placed the tray across his knees. "A small amount of a lot of things - and, because I'm such a nice person, half a pop tart as well."

"Who got the other half?"

"Debbie. And her dad got the other whole one in the package."

"You don't eat them?"

"I prefer pancakes." She sat in the chair she had occupied the previous night and smiled. "So did Eddie."

"Did you...?"

"They were his first meal, or part of them. I made them for him that first morning, after we came back here."

"Why did you… was it just chance that you drove by?"

"No, Jarod." Helen grinned. "I'd been planning to get you out of the Centre by myself, but you beat me to it although I still think my plan was better."

"You were planning to help me escape?"

"I had it all arranged. On the day Kenny was killed, I'd organized with Angelo to be introduced to you so you'd know to trust me. I knew, after I learnt about it, that you weren't going to. Then he told me that you'd made your own plan and so I let that go ahead and made sure that I was in the right place at the right time. If you'd run in the same direction, I probably would have been able to pick both of you up." She smiled at him. "Now that would have been a coup."

"If we'd known you were there, I promise we would have."

"I thought about mentioning it to Angelo, but again, I couldn't see how I could make you trust me."

"Maybe you're right." He nodded slowly, eating the last bit of the pop tart, before looking up again. "What else did Eddie like?"

"Anything that had enough sugar to rot his teeth. Particularly the way I make hot cocoa."

"Will you make me some?"

"I only make it when it snows, Jarod."

He looked towards the window and grinned. "So I can look forward to trying some of it soon then, huh?"

She looked at the snowflakes that were drifting lazily past the window and then at the man again before a teasing light came into her eyes. "Well, I'm not sure. I usually only give it to people when they're sitting in front of a blazing fire, playing games with me, and I don't count the kind of game we were playing last night."

Looking at her sharply, Jarod saw the look in her eyes and decided not to comment. Instead, he drained the glass of orange juice and started to eat the serve of scrambled eggs. Helen watched him for a moment before rolling her eyes.

"Are you trying to prove a point or give yourself indigestion?"

"I'm hoping that if I look healthy enough, you'll let me come downstairs."

"What did I say last night?"

He put his head on one side and gave her a look of mock-innocence. "I'll be very well behaved, if you let me."

"Hmm, we'll see."

"Well, it's better than a flat refusal." Jarod ate the last bite of toast on which the eggs had sat and then pushed the tray further down the bed. "Thanks. That was really good."

"I'm glad to hear it." She glanced at her watch and then stood up. "I should have done this before but better late than never." Reaching into the bag that stood on the floor beside the bed, Helen produced a thermometer and took his temperature before timing his pulse. When that was done, he rearranged the pillows and then nestled down against them.

"Who says I'm going to let you stay sitting up?" the doctor demanded.

"Who says I'm going to stay awake long enough for you to move them away?" He yawned and turned suddenly drowsy eyes up to her face. "I'm warm, comfortable and well-fed. What else do I need to fall sleep?"

"Probably some peace and quiet." Helen picked up the tray. "So I'll leave you to it and come up later to check on you."

"Mmm hmm." Jarod's eyes closed and he curled his legs up under him as Helen shut the door.

# # #


"How was your breakfast, Debbie?"

"Yummy." She smiled at the woman in the doorway. "Can I get up yet?"

"We-ell," Helen exchanged amused glances with Broots, who sat in a chair in the corner of the room. "I don't know..."

"Please, Mommy!" Debbie bounced on the bed. "You said I could get up if I went to sleep last night, and I did, and I didn't wake up until really late!"

"Since when is seven o'clock 'really late'? Eleven o'clock. Now that's I what I call really late."

"Eleven?" Debbie looked at Helen as if she had just suggested that the world was flat. "Don't be silly, Mommy. Nobody gets up that late!"

"I'll ask you that question again in a few years, Debbie. I bet your answer will be different then." She laughed. "Let me go down and start a nice, warm fire for you to sit in front of, sweetie, and then your Daddy can bring you down, okay?"

"Uh huh."

As the woman bent to kiss her forehead, Debbie threw both her arms around the doctor's neck and hugged her. After returning the hug, Helen picked up the tray and walked over to the door.

"How's Jarod?"

She glanced at Broots as he spoke. "Fine, but he's asleep again right now. If he's better later, though, I might let him get up too."

"Did you tell him that?"

"Of course not. It would be the fastest way to get him overexcited."

"And are you still mad with him, Mommy?"

"Not now, Debbie. I'm still disappointed in him, but I'm not mad."

"Was his mom angry, too?"

"No, she wasn't. She might be later, though. We'll see."

To avoid further questions, Helen left the room, taking the tray downstairs.

# # #


"Hi Debbie."

The girl looked up as her father carried her down the stairs to see Miss Parker sitting on the sofa, several books on the table in front of her. The girl grinned.

"Hi, Miss Parker."

"Want me to read to you?"

"Uh huh." Broots put her down on the sofa beside the woman and Debbie curled up in delight, leaning against the arm that Miss Parker put around her. From the doorway, Helen smiled faintly as Broots walked over to her.

"Now I know how you feel. I think I've been supplanted too."

The technician stared at her as they went into the kitchen. "Is that a joke or are you serious?"

"A bit of both."

"Oh, come on, Helen. You can't really believe that, can you?"

"Believe what?"

The two turned to see the psychiatrist standing at the head of the cellar stairs, a look of curiosity in his eyes, and Helen smiled as he came over to sit at the table.

"How did you sleep?"

"With my eyes closed."

She groaned. "That's terrible, Sydney. I haven't heard that pun since I was fifteen years old."

"In serious answer to your question your drug helped me sleep very well, thank you, Helen. How's Jarod?"

"He's fine, Sydney. I told you he would be." She stood up. "I'll go up and see if he's awake. If he is then you can go up and see him."

# # #


Gently tapping on the door, she heard a voice call out and opened it to see Jarod looking up from the pillow.

"Did I wake you?"

"No, I was just thinking."

"I'm glad to hear it. Sydney just asked about you, so I thought I'd come up to see how you were."

"Is everybody downstairs?"

"Well, you and I are up here." She smiled. "I’m guessing that your mother's still asleep next door, but she should be waking up soon."

"Actually, she's awake now." The quiet voice from behind her made Helen turn, a smile on her face.

"I was just beginning to think that it was time we saw you."

The older woman smiled at her briefly before turning to her son. "Are you all right, Jarod?"

"I'm fine, Mom." He hugged her, eyeing Helen before looking back at the woman who was sitting next to him. "But there's something I need to tell you..."

# # #


Helen exchanged amused glances with the woman on the sofa, the girl curled up with her head resting against Miss Parker's shoulder and her eyes closed.

"Asleep?"

"Well, she hasn't moved for almost twenty minutes now, so I think so."

"You could take a nap as well."

The woman nodded drowsily. "I'd been entertaining the same thought."

"If it had been that entertaining, it would’ve woken you up." Helen smiled. "You both sleep well."

"Mmm hmm." Miss Parker rested her head down against Debbie's and closed her eyes, leaning back against the sofa in a motion so reminiscent of Broots in the car that Helen had to swallow her laughter in case it woke them up.

"...and you should have heard her telling him off."

Hearing the amusement of the technician, Helen went into the kitchen and firmly closed the door behind her before glaring at him.

"Why not just tell him everything, Broots?"

"Well, I..." The man looked up at her and visibly wilted. "I didn't know it was such a big secret."

Helen rolled her eyes and sat down, looking over to see the startled expression on the face of the psychiatrist.

"You…?"

"Sydney, let me explain." She glared at Broots again. "I was intending to let Jarod do it, but he's probably telling his mother about it now and it could be a while before he's in a fit state to tell you anything."

"Why?"

"Because I suspect that he's about to see his mother cry for the first time and I'm not sure that it will be a fun experience for either of them." She hesitated briefly. "There was nothing wrong with Jarod last night."

He looked at her skeptically. "Helen, at the very least..."

"Sydney, trust me. There was nothing physically wrong with Jarod to have cause what we saw. At some point he started to think that his mother, sister and you were all going to disappear into thin air as soon as he was better. Instead of finding out if that was likely or just a wild guess, he faked his little 'episode' last night to keep you all here."

"He what?!"

"You heard me."

"I heard you, yes. I just don't believe it. Jarod wouldn't do that. He wouldn't be so selfish..."

"Not only would he, but he did. I said the same thing to him last night."

"Actually Helen, you yelled the same thing at him. There's a difference."

She grinned at Broots faintly. "Yes, I'll give you that. He certainly thought there was a difference."

"So all of that...?"

"...was a very carefully staged pretend, yes. That's also why he hasn't seemed to be improving over the last few days as quickly as he should have. But he's better this morning, if the breakfast he ate was anything to go by."

"He must have had a good reason..."

"Don’t make excuses for him, Sydney." Helen spoke firmly. "He acted like a two-year-old having a tantrum when he couldn't have what he wanted. He doesn't need you to defend his behaviour. He's already very ashamed of it, trust me. He's having some very unpleasant minutes with his mother right now and he certainly got thoroughly told off by me last night."

"Was that why you sent all three of us to bed?"

"One of the reasons. It gave him an even better chance to realize just what he did. Anything you say about it today will only add to it, and I think it would be good if you can manage to be severe." Reaching over, she put her hand on his. "I know it's not easy, considering how scared you were last night but, if you show him that, he'll really understand what you three went through."

Sydney nodded slowly. "I can see how that's important, but..."

"But you're still concerned about him, I know. Look, once his mother's finished up there, telling him off, why don't you go in for your turn? Trust me, the moment you see him, you'll know that he's fine. He looks almost painfully healthy." Helen gave her watch a quick look. "In fact, I'd say she'd be getting close to finishing now, so why don't we go up and wait?"

"You know...?"

The doctor grinned at Broots. "You've forgotten how often I heard her telling off people. I've got a pretty good idea of both what she'll say and how long it'll take her to say it."

# # #


Helen stood outside the closed door for a moment with a wide smile on her face, listening to the familiar voice inside. After a few seconds of silence, she pushed open the door and walked in.

"Margaret, I left Broots making coffee in the kitchen. I'm sure you'll need some to get you over that, so why not head down and think about what you want to have for breakfast?"

Nodding, the woman left the room, casting a final glance over her shoulder at the man, who was studying the blanket with intensity. When the door was shut, Helen looked at him. "I told you she could be severe."

"She said that she was disappointed in me." The words were almost a wail and seemed to come from the child whom she had accused him of behaving like on the previous night.

"And I think she has good reason to be." Helen sat on the bed. "But getting angry now is a natural reaction to the fear she had last night. The fear she felt before is transforming itself into the anger she showed you. But in among that anger is the love she has for you, and that, not wanting to see you sick, or as she feared most die, was what led to her being so afraid last night. You see?"

He nodded slowly before looking at her. "Is anyone else up?"

"Sydney is, but he already knows what you did."

"You told him?"

"I wasn't going to, but Broots told him that I was yelling at you last night and I had to explain my reasons for it."

"And… is he angry as well?"

"Yes, I think so, but for the same reasons, Jarod." She stood up and looked down at him. "Just remember that you can't blame anybody but yourself for this. As the law of physics states, every action has as equal and opposite reaction. If you’d frightened them less last night, they wouldn't be so angry at you this morning."

"I know." He studied the blanket for another minute before looking up at her. "Will you ask Sydney to come in, please?"

"Sure."

Opening the door, she waved the psychiatrist into the room, seeing the cool look in the older man’s brown eyes that betrayed both anger and concern, before she shut the door and left them to it.

# # #


"How could he do that?"

"How or why?" Helen grinned as she entered the kitchen. "I’d have thought the 'how' was easy."

Margaret glared at her for a moment. "I wasn't expecting you to make a joke out of this, Helen."

"Oh, come on, Margaret. It was a slight aberration, that's all. Don't let it affect the whole way you think of him. I know you're angry but enough's enough." Hiding a smile, she looked up. "Besides, I didn't do it, so why are you mad at me?"

Sinking into a chair, the older woman was forced to hide a smile in her turn. "He deserves me to put him over my knee..."

"That's the same thing I threatened to do last night." She laughed. "See how well you taught me?"

After a moment of struggling against her laughter, Margaret looked up. "He does realize how bad it wasn't, doesn't he?"

"Margaret, he's forty-two! I’ll admit his behaviour last night would have disgraced a five-year-old, but, as I said before, that was a one-time thing and after the scolding you gave him, the one he's getting from Sydney right now and the lecture he got from me, he certainly won't be playing a game like that one again."

Getting up, Helen filled a mug and placed it in front of the older woman, sitting down again with a full mug in her hands. "Tell Emily. By the time she's said everything she wants to I don't think he'll ever want to hear about it again. Then you can spend the afternoon bemoaning the naughtiness of your son with Emily and Sydney while he sits in the living room in front of a roaring fire, before all of you forgive him for the fright he gave you in that momentary lapse of his genius powers and act the way you did before."

Finally allowing herself to laugh, Margaret nodded. "Okay, Helen. You win. It probably is enough, with all three of us lecturing him."

"He's upset that you're disappointed in him."

"Did he say that?"

Helen swallowed her coffee and nodded. "Uh huh. If you'd heard him say it, even your hard heart would have melted."

"Well… maybe…"

Grinning as she changed the subject somewhat, Helen glanced up at her former teacher. "Do you remember Marina Walters?"

Margaret thought for a moment. "Didn't I have to tell her off once in front of all of you because she was eating in class?"

"That's right." The doctor smiled. "She was the person who married Eddie."

The older woman choked. "You're kidding, right?"

"Nope. They met at a reunion dinner for our class. She took one look at him and I could see her heart fluttering."

"And they had kids?"

"Yes. I'm godmother for their oldest daughter and I was bridesmaid, the day they got married."

Thoughtfully Margaret looked at her former student. "You were in love with Eddie, weren't you?"

Helen raised an eyebrow. "Is that a guess?"

"No. Call it - motherly instinct."

"I would if you were my mother." Helen got up. "Have you decided what you want for breakfast?"

"Are you deliberately changing the subject?"

"Now why would I do that?" The doctor turned, her eyes wide. "I sent you down to have breakfast, remember?"

"I was always amused by that look of mock-innocence, Helen, because I can see through it more easily than the window you're standing in front of." She stood and walked over to stand in front of her former student. "You were in love with Eddie, weren't you?"

"For a while, yes." Helen looked up. "He asked me to marry him."

"But you said no."

"He wasn't in love with me. He thought he was, but I'd seen people in love before and he wasn't like them."

"Who had you seen?"

"You." Helen smiled. "I saw how you looked every time you talked about Charles and that told me everything I needed to know."

# # #


Supporting the tray with a raised knee, Helen tapped gently on the bedroom door before turning the handle.

"Jarod, are you awake?"

"Uh huh." He sniffed and wiped his nose with a tissue before looking at her. "Are you coming to tell me off, too?"

"I did that last night, remember? No, I came to bring you some lunch."

"I'm not hungry."

"If you don't eat, you don't get to join Debbie downstairs this afternoon."

He raised an eyebrow. "I wasn't aware that was planned."

"And what would you have done if I'd told you? Apart from getting yourself just so excited about it that your temperature soared, of course. "

Nodding, he grinned faintly. "Well, maybe..."

"Em made some soup for you and Debbie for lunch."

His voice was sulky. "Did she do that before or after...?"

"I said earlier, Jarod, this is your own fault. I know you don't like people telling you what they think of you when it isn't complimentary but you deserved it. When you get what you deserve, the only person you can be angry at is you." Helen sat down on the end of the bed after putting the tray on his knees. "I know Em, your mother and Sydney, and I’m sure they wouldn't have said any more than what you deserved to hear. In fact, I was probably harsher last night. It's just that three of them one after the other is harder to take, particularly so when, to you, their opinions matter so much more than mine." Her eyes twinkled. "Come to think of it, that could have been the reason I arranged it that way."

"I thought I got punished last night." He picked up the spoon and tasted the soup before looking at her. "Didn't I?"

"To a certain extent, yes, but they do have the right to show you how they feel. And next time you think about doing something so stupid, the words will creep in to your mind and stop you. Believe me, if the Centre hadn't gotten involved, I know you’d have got plenty of lectures like those." Helen laughed. "And from what I know of you, you'd have deserved every one."

"Oh, really?" He looked up, annoyance replaced by curiosity. "In what way?"

"Well, let's just say it wasn't Eddie who caused the Centre so many problems by sneaking out to see snow, trying to explore the sublevels, not completing a SIM until he got to meet somebody, sneaking off to the lab to show rabbits to the Chairman's daughter - have I said enough?"

"I think so." He tried to hide a grin. "And how is that 'Chairman's daughter'?"

"Still very healthy. I think she's going to avoid the measles which piece of news should make you, your mom and Em just as happy as it does her."

"Why?" His eyes were wide.

"Can you keep a secret?"

"Of course."

Helen looked over her shoulder at the door and lowered her voice. "If she's okay tomorrow, I'm going to call your dad and get him to come here, too."

Jarod's eyes shone as he smiled. "And will he come?"

"I don't see why not. Of course, I'm not going to tell him your mom's here, but the fact that you've been sick should be enough."

"He doesn't know?"

"No. He knows you and Em got here okay and that we've been busy, but I wasn't going to tell him when he couldn't come and see you."

He nodded, finishing the last of the soup. "Who else have you told?"

"Just Em, so that she didn't let it slip. But we'll keep it a surprise for them both. It's more fun that way."

Grinning, he put the spoon on the tray beside the empty bowl and leaned against the pillows, looking up at her. "When, exactly, can I go downstairs?"

"After you've had another brief nap. Considering the excitement of this morning, I think you'll need it. But after that, we'll come up and bring you down."

"That makes it sounds like you're going to carry me."

"Well, you never know." She grinned. "I'm pretty strong."

"Not that strong."

"I half-carried you up here. With your fever being so high, you couldn't do a lot to help. And falling asleep on my shoulder as soon as we put you down on the bed didn't help either."

"Who's 'we'?"

"Sydney and I." Helen reached forward, picking up the tray. "He's done an awful lot for you since you got sick, Jarod."

"As have you, Helen." His expression was serious. "Sydney told me so."

# # #


Helen arranged the cushions in the armchair on one side of the fireplace in the living room, and then draped a blanket over them, making sure that another was within easy reach.

"Who's that for, Mommy?"

"Jarod, sweetie." Helen smiled at Debbie. "He's coming down this afternoon too. I told you that this morning, remember?"

"Yup." She scraped the last of the ice cream out of the bowl and reached forward to put it on the table, curling up in her chair again. "And are you going to sit here with us as well?"

"There's a few things to do first, baby, but later I will."

"Goody." Debbie bounced in her seat and Broots laughed as he walked in.

"You didn't want the springs in that anyway, did you Helen?"

"Well, I'd better say no, just in case." She smiled. "Where's everybody else?"

"Sydney's catching up on the Triumvirate discussions from the last few days that he’s missed out on, Miss Parker's reading in her bedroom and I think Margaret and Emily are discussing the other troublesome member of their family."

"Again?" She rolled her eyes. "That topic's going to get old very fast."

Broots grinned. "Shall we go up and get the invalid?"

"If he's ready, I think we can bring him down now." She tossed some more wood onto the fire and then led the way up the stairs, glancing back over her shoulder at the girl. "Behave yourself while we're gone, Debbie."

"Uh huh." The girl looked up only briefly from her book before she was lost in it again and Helen grinned.

"She reminds me of what I was like, reading those."

Broots looked at her, his expression serious. "If Debbie grows up to become only half as good as you are, I'll be satisfied."

"Thank you," Helen responded softly. "I value that."

When the two people entered the bedroom, Jarod was already sitting against the pile of pillows, watching the snow falling past the window. The face he turned to the door was bright and almost glowing with health. Helen grinned as she glanced at the technician.

"Gee, Broots, does he look well enough to come downstairs to you?"

"We-ell," the man replied slowly, a teasing look in his eye, "you're the doctor of course, but I don't know whether I'd be bringing him down, looking like that."

"Oh, come on!" Jarod's voice revealed his exasperation. "What else does a poor sick person have to do? I ate lunch, I slept and they were the only conditions, at least as far as I know, under which I could come down."

"If you're that poor and sick, we'll leave you up here for another afternoon."

Groaning, Jarod sank his head into his hands. "Me and my big mouth."

"Don't worry, Jarod, one day you'll learn when to open it and when not to." Helen went over to the cupboard and produced a warm dressing gown, her voice full of laughter. "Now, if sir would care to attire himself, we may be able to provide assistance for sir to descend."

"Now that's something I've been waiting to hear for days." Jarod eagerly put both his arms in the sleeves, at the same time swinging his legs off the bed and onto the floor. He was about to stand when Helen stepped forward.

"Slowly, Jarod. You aren't going to be able to run around at your usual, rapid pace. Not yet, anyway." Slipping an arm under his, she nodded. "Okay, stand up for me."

"I'd rather do it for me." Jarod got to his feet, his eyes widening slightly as he felt himself swaying. "I… I thought I was better."

Understanding his concern Helen spoke soothingly. "You're improving, Jarod, but you're still not 'better' yet. There are some vestiges of illness hanging around that only time and taking things slowly will cure."

She nodded at Broots, who came over and supported Jarod's other arm. Slowly the group left the room.

# # #


"Hi, Jarod."

The man grinned as he sat in the armchair and the blankets were firmly wrapped around him.

"How's life, Debbie?"

"Better now."

Jarod looked around the room, a smile on his face. "I know what you mean."

Stepping back, Helen looked from one patient to another. "Can I trust the two of you in here on your own?"

"Where will you be, Mommy?"

"I told you, sweetie, I have some things to do, and your Daddy does as well." She leaned over and kissed the girl. "I'm putting you in charge. If Jarod does anything bad, you call out at once and tell your dad, okay?"

She giggled. "I don't think he likes that."

"He doesn't have any choice. If I hear he’s done anything at all bad, he doesn't get to come down tomorrow."

"Bully." Jarod folded his arms, pretending to sulk. "All I wanted to do was a jog around the block."

"In the middle of a snowstorm?" Helen pulled the thick, dark green curtains shut, making the room cozier. "Save it until you're not under my care any more. If your mother will let you, then you can consider it." She looked at him as her lips twitched. "Bad temper is just as bad as bad behaviour, Jarod."

"Okay, okay." He looked around. "Do I get something to do this afternoon or do I have to just sit here, staring?"

Laughing, Helen walked over to the bookcase and took down a thick volume that she handed to him. "Eddie always enjoyed this book and I think you will too. But take it slowly, Jarod. You've got a few days of this sort of thing."

Taking the book, he nodded. "He liked this, huh?"

Her face became sad. "By the last time I saw him, he could quote any page to me. Yes, Jarod, he liked it very much." Turning, she went upstairs, leaving the two people sitting in the room below.

# # #


"Helen?"

"The bedroom, Sydney." She looked up from the bed she was making to see him standing in the doorway. "What's up?"

"Did you hear what the Triumvirate said about us not being there in a week?"

"Uh huh." With the pillow tucked firmly under her chin as she put the clean cover on, this was all she could say for a moment. When it was done, she turned to him. "Why, what's the problem? You'll all be back in Blue Cove by then."

"Sure?"

"Have you seen those two downstairs? Two more rapidly recovering patients, I've never had the privilege to be treating. The only way that you might still be here is if Miss Parker got sick and so far she's showing no sign. But, if that happens, you can call them."

He nodded slowly. "Well, as long as you're sure."

"Debbie will certainly be well enough in a few days for me to drive you home, and you don't have to stay here until Jarod is back to normal. He might not like it, but he's also not selfish enough to make you stay here if it’ll endanger either your lives or those of his family. Oh, I've been meaning to suggest that you three get together and discuss, in great detail, what 'happened' over the last two weeks so that, when anyone questions you, they hear the same story."

"There's that deviousness again," the psychiatrist laughed as he headed for the door. "But it's a good idea." He turned. "I hate to have to ask this but do you mind being the 'bad guy'?"

"Hey," she grinned, "I kidnapped the three of you, didn't I? Just stick to the basic truth and leave out the parts about Jarod and Debbie being sick. Or mention that she was sick and that was why you had to stay away for so long. If I hadn't been here, you would have had to treat her, so they shouldn't have any problems with swallowing that little tale."

Smiling, Sydney nodded and left the room, leaving Helen to strip the other beds before remaking them and then collecting all the dirty sheets to be washed. As she went through the kitchen, she saw Miss Parker sitting at the kitchen table with the two men and grinned.

"Feel like a nap?"

The woman laughed. "I don't need a lot of encouragement. That was wonderfully comfortable."

"Well, if you want them, they'll be in the machine."

"Hmm," Miss Parker leaned back thoughtfully. "Cold, hard and wet as opposed to dry, soft and warm - I'll weigh up my options."

# # #


Debbie drowsily raised her arms as Helen came back into the living room, and the doctor, a smile on her face, picked her up, feeling as the girl snuggled against her neck and fell asleep. Helen sat down in the chair opposite Jarod and saw him watching her.

"You weren't kidding when you said that she missed you, were you?"

"No I wasn't, but was it only that that made you realize it?"

"Not exactly. Each time we heard noises from overhead she'd look at the stairs to see if you were coming down."

"Kids always want mothers when they're sick, Jarod." She looked meaningfully at him. "Even big kids."

"And what are you going to do when they go back to Blue Cove?"

Helen was about to shrug, but the weight on her shoulder prevented it, so she let the expression show on her face instead. "Go back to the way life was before. I'll be in Blue Cove every few days anyway, so I can see her then."

"How was it after Eddie left?"

"Quiet." She smiled a little sadly. "It took a while to get used to, but I managed to do it then and I'll do it this time as well."

"You'll be lonely."

"You sound like Debbie." She paused. "As I said to you last night, Jarod, I'll cope. I've coped ever since he got married and I'll just have to get used to it again."

"I doubt you want it to happen, any more than I did."

"Well, I'm not going to fake an illness to keep you all here." Helen watched his cheeks glow and a resentful look appear in his eyes as she grinned. "I said I wasn't going to mention it again, Jarod, but you can't lead me there or I'll have to."

"Okay, okay." He picked up the book again and Helen looked at the fire. When he looked up once more, there was a faint smile on her face and a tear slowly making its way down her cheek.

"Helen? What is it?"

"Nothing," she responded softly as Debbie raised her head. The girl wiped away the one tear and threw her arms around Helen's neck, hugging her and kissing her on one cheek, before sitting in her lap.

"Were you thinking about him again, Mommy?"

"Yes, sweetie." Helen returned the kiss. "But I won't anymore." Glancing down at her watch, she smiled. "Anyone feel like something hot and disgustingly sweet to drink?"

"Yes, please!" Debbie's face was pleading and Jarod's, as Helen looked at him, wasn't much better. Laughing, she got to her feet.

"Fine, hot chocolate for two kids and one adult."

After she left the room, Debbie looked at Jarod, a look of avid curiosity evident on her face, and he smiled.

"What's up?"

"Who's the person Mommy thinks about?"

"A man we both knew." His face became sad. "He died a few months ago."

"Did she like him?"

"Yes, Debbie." Jarod paused. "I think she liked him a lot."

She nodded and then glanced up at him again. "She's disappointed in you."

"I know." He looked at the fire. "Most people are."

"Did you do something dumb?"

"It was pretty dumb," he admitted before looking up at her, his face curious. "What happens when you do something dumb?"

"The last time I did, Daddy got really mad with me." Her face became sad. "I don't like it when that happens."

"I didn't like it when my mom was angry either, or when Sydney and Emily told me how mad they were."

"Wow!" Her eyes were wide. "You really did make most people mad, didn't you?"

"Yes," he agreed, trying not to laugh. "Everybody except you, your dad and Miss Parker."

"I can be mad if you want me to be."

"That's very obliging of you, but I'd rather have some people who weren't mad at me too."

The girl scrambled out of the chair, climbing in his lap and hugging him. "I don't think my Mommy's mad at you anymore. Shall I ask her not to be?"

"You won't need to, Debbie. She's not mad anymore."

The girl looked up to see Emily come into the room carrying a tray. "Are you?"

"No, I'm not mad." She put down the tray and waited for Debbie get down to go back to her chair before Emily handed one mug to the girl and the other to her brother, kissing him on the top of his head. He clung to her hand for a minute and she smiled as she sat down on the sofa.

"Helen will be here in a moment. She's just helping the others with the finer details of their 'kidnapping'."

Jarod glanced over. "And when will all that be necessary?"

"In a few days." Seeing the sad look in Debbie's eyes, they changed the subject, Emily reaching out for a pack of cards and setting up the small table between the chair and the sofa. By the time that Helen appeared in the doorway, Jarod was watching the game with interest. Laughing, the doctor went over to the cupboard and took out a board game before looking at him.

"Now this is something I've wanted to do for a while. Eddie and I played this quite a lot, and now I want to test myself against another Centre-trained genius."

He took the rulebook as she put the box on the coffee table and settled herself in front of the fire, beginning to set up the board.

"Trivial Pursuit?"

"Uh huh."

Emily glanced up with a grin. "Can I place a bet on the outcome?"

"Go for it."

"Helen by one question."

Jarod raised an eyebrow, speaking sarcastically. "It's wonderful to see how much confidence my sister has in me."

"Believe me, Jarod, I've played that with her and she wiped the floor with me. My bet was very generous. I think she'll win by a lot more."

"Well," he looked over at his opponent and narrowed his eyes. "We'll see."

# # #


"1964."

"1963." Helen provided the answer and turned the card around to prove it to him, laughing. "For some reason, I'd have expected you to remember that year."

He groaned and looked at his sister. "You weren't kidding when you said she was good at this, were you?"

"Nope." Emily grinned, glancing Debbie, who was sitting in Helen's lap, her eyes on the board. She looked up in time to see Sydney enter the room, laughing as he saw the game.

"Who's winning?"

"Helen."

The psychiatrist stared. "You're kidding, right?"

"Thank you, Sydney." Helen laughed as she rolled the die. "I appreciate that kind commentary on my mental abilities."

Margaret laughed at the remark, as she entered, before rolling her eyes. "Jarod, that’s very brave of you. I don't think there's sufficient money in the world to make me play that with Helen ever again."

"Why?" He looked up, curiosity in his eyes.

"We played almost every day that she stayed with me and she always won by a lot. I suspect that after so long, that she knows every answer to the questions in those boxes."

"Well," Helen tried to sound modest as she moved the piece. "Not every answer but I'd have to be getting close." She smiled. "Still it's been a few years since I've played it against somebody of this caliber. I'm a little rusty."

"And that is presumably the reason why Jarod actually gets a chance to answer a question every so often," Emily put in.

"Well, when he does, he usually gets a run of them. Then he gets one wrong..."

"And I have to sit for ages until she forgets something before I get another turn."

Margaret smiled. "Helen, are you forgetting or being nice?"

"My memory isn't that good."

"So you are being nice." The woman sat down on the arm of the chair where her son was sitting. "If you weren't, you'd have given a straight answer."

"Margaret, can you not give away all my secrets? Jarod found out quite a lot about me when he had to create a profile a few years ago. I'm sure he doesn't need all the gaps filled in now."

"Are you just being nice?" Jarod narrowed his eyes as she hesitated. "Well?"

"Well, you are still sick and I'd hate for you to be bored having to ask me all the questions and not getting to answer any yourself." She eventually stopped at the category and groaned, hiding a grin. "Oh no, not philosophy. My worst subject."
Part 11 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 11



Ashe, New York
"Well?"

"You already know. Why are you asking?"

"Because I want to hear you say it." Helen grinned and sat back, an arm around Debbie who was sleeping against her shoulder. "Well?"

"Yes, you're right." He put the card back into the box. "You won. Happy now?"

"Very." She looked at him thoughtfully. "But you were close."

"Not that close." He looked down at the board. "But I guess that, considering that you were being nice..."

"You know," Helen looked up at Sydney and spoke in conversational tones. "If I didn't know better I'd think Jarod was bitter."

"Me?" The Pretender tried to look indignant. "Never! Better, not bitter."

"Jarod, that was appalling." As Sydney complained about the pun, Emily hit her brother with the cushion she had been leaning against.

"Well, now we know why he lost." Margaret rescued the cushion and gave it back, an arm around Jarod's shoulders. "He was too busy trying to think of such awful puns to concentrate."

Helen looked around. "Anybody else want a turn at being beaten… er, playing this with me?"

"What else do you have that you won't have learned all the answers to?" Margaret proposed.

"Monopoly or Scrabble." Reaching forward, she began to pack the game away, finally pushing the box to one side. "Em, can you grab one or both from the cupboard? And there's a big dictionary on the shelf next to them."

"Who's playing what?"

Sydney looked up with a smile. "As long as I don't have to play Scrabble with any of those people who boast genius mentality..."

"You're just scared of losing, Sydney," Helen teased.

"Well, that could be it." He laughed. "Will anybody take me on?"

"I will." Margaret stood up and walked over to sit opposite him, taking the box and dictionary from her daughter. "I haven't played Scrabble for years."

Helen looked up. "Jarod, you can be auditor for that game. I'd rather not see you exhaust yourself on a long, noisy bout of Monopoly."

Nodding, he got up and went over to sit on the arm of the chair that Margaret was already sitting in as Sydney laughed. "Well, now we don't need to use the dictionary or even keep track of the score."

"If you were wise, you would anyway," the doctor remarked.

"Perhaps." Without another word, Sydney took the notebook and pen that Broots handed him and they began the game.

# # #


"Who's winning?"

"It's even."

"Wow." Helen sat beside Sydney, looking at the board. "And you're sure every single word is in the dictionary?"

"We've checked - no proper nouns, nothing."

"Impressive." Glancing at Jarod, whose head rested against Margaret's shoulder as he slept, she smiled. "Now you know why I suggested that you keep score on your own."

"It was probably a good idea,” Sydney agreed. “Although it was nice, not having to think about it as he told us."

"And how's the Monopoly going?"

"Debbie's winning." Broots grinned at his daughter as she collected rent from her father for the eighth time. "By a long way."

"How's dinner coming along?"

"It's nearly ready. I'll serve it in another twenty minutes." Laughing, she looked over at the people gathered around the monopoly board. "Can you people be finished in that time?"

"No chance." Miss Parker laughingly glared at Debbie. "I've got a score to settle with young Miss Broots here for her exorbitant charges."

"I'm terrified." The girl laughed as the woman's token stopped at her hotel-laden property and she looked up. "Do you want me to tell you how much, or can you remember from the last six times?"

Miss Parker rolled her eyes. "I knew I shouldn't have made that deal. It's ruining me." With a sigh, she mortgaged her last property, handing over the money.

"Be thankful, Parker." Sydney smiled. "It's only a game. If you'd come down with the measles and we’d had to be away for all that much longer, the Triumvirate might have done it for real." Looking at his opponent, he smiled again. "Are we out of letters?"

The woman picked up the last and put it on her rack. "We are now. It's your turn."

# # #


"Jarod?"

The man sleepily raised his head, looking into the doctor's eyes. "Umm?"

"It's bedtime."

"You woke me up to tell me that I can go back to sleep?"

She laughed. "That's right. But you have to get upstairs first." With an arm around his back, Helen helped Jarod to his feet. Yawning, he let her guide him up the stairs and into the bedroom, sitting down wearily as soon as she had removed the dressing gown, and pushing off each slipper with his other foot.

"Do I get to...?" He yawned again and Helen laughed.

"Get to what? You need to finish the question before I can answer it."

"Can I get up again tomorrow?" he asked as he lay down.

"Maybe for a while, but we'll see how you are in the morning." She watched him nod as he rolled onto his side and curled up under the blankets. Margaret sat down on the bed, gently stroking his hair as she leaned down to kiss his cheek. A small smile appeared on Jarod's face as he closed his eyes and the doctor exited the room.

"Helen?"

"Yes?" She looked up to see Broots standing in the doorway to her room.

"Debbie wants to know if you were planning to say goodnight."

Smiling, she walked into the room. "Did you think I wouldn't, sweetie?"

"I don't know." Debbie shrugged drowsily as she nestled down into the woman's arms and rested against her chest. "I thought maybe you'd forget."

"Never, baby." Gently she kissed the girl's head. "I couldn't do that."

"And are you sleeping here tonight too?"

"I was planning to. Do you want me to?"

Debbie nodded, a yawn preventing her from answering, as she let her eyes close and snuggled further into the woman's embrace. Helen gently stroked the girl's hair as she fell asleep.

# # #


"Mommy?"

"Mmm?" Helen looked up at the girl who was standing by her bed. "What's wrong, Debbie? What is it?"

"Do we have to go home today?"

"No, baby." Helen moved over so Debbie could sit on the bed. "You don't have to go today. I want to make sure you're up to that trip before you leave here."

"Tomorrow?"

"Maybe. We'll see." Helen glanced at her watch and then out to where the panes of glass were covered with a layer of frost that was just visible in the light thrown by the rising sun. "And it also depends on the weather. If we get too much snow, I won't be able to drive."

Debbie slipped into bed beside the woman and snuggled up to her. "I'll hope it snows a lot then."

"Sweetie, you can't stay with me forever. If you don't go, the people at your Dad's work will miss him and all your friends will miss you."

"But I'll miss you."

"And I'm going to miss all of you when you go too, baby." Helen lovingly began to stroke Debbie's hair. "But that's the way it goes, unfortunately. Still, we'll see each other every time I'm in Blue Cove."

"Promise?"

"I wouldn't leave without seeing you, sweetheart. And you can always come for a visit when you have vacation from school, if you want."

"Really?" Debbie's eyes were full of delight as she looked up. "I hadn't thought of that."

"Well, we'll have to check it with your dad but I don't think he'll mind."

"What is it that I don't have to mind?" Broots asked as he appeared in the doorway, curiosity in his eyes, laughing as Debbie scrambled up from the bed and ran over, pulling him into the room.

"Daddy, please say yes!"

"To what, Debbie? I don't even know what I'm being asked about." He took a blanket off the bed and wrapped her in it, sitting down with his daughter in his lap and a smile on his face. "What's going on, Helen?"

"I suggested to Debbie that, if she wanted, she could come here for a vacation when she has time off school. And, of course, I'm always a safe location on those occasions when you're off traveling with work."

"Any conditions attached to that?"

"Like what?" Helen leaned her head on one hand, looking at him, the mock-innocence apparent on her face.

"Well," he began, "like, for instance, that I mention where we're going and you'd then just happen to jump on the phone and call a certain mobile number and ask a certain person where he was, just to make sure..."

"Broots, you have a nasty and suspicious mind!" Helen sat up in bed and hugged her knees. "That's a wonderful idea!"

"And what will your brother say when the pursuit team suddenly never lays eyes on him again?"

"That your victim's getting better at avoiding you."

"Uh, brother?" a new voice asked.

The three people looked around to see Sydney in the doorway, an eyebrow raised and one hand on the doorknob. "I know it's not nice to eavesdrop but can you explain that to me please?" Sitting on Debbie's bed, the psychiatrist glanced at Helen. "What brother?"

"Mine." She exchanged a sly glance with the technician. In an exaggerated motion, she smacked her forehead with the heel of her hand and rolled her eyes. "Do you mean that I forgot to mention the tiny, little, unimportant fact that my brother's the head of the Triumvirate? Silly me."

"He's what?" Sydney's seat on the bed lasted for all of about twenty seconds and he was now on his feet, staring at her. "I don't believe it!"

"Nobody trusts me anymore." She shook her head sadly. "Jarod didn't believe me when I said his mother was there and now you don't believe me when I say, in all honesty, that I'm the little sister of the Triumvirate boss."

"And… you…?" Eyes widening, he took a step away and she laughed.

"Sydney, relax. If I had been planning to take advantage of the connection, I think I'd have done it before now, don't you? No, Broots spotted the similarities a few days ago, when he was watching the Triumvirate in session and remarked on it. It's probably unnecessary to state that I never even thought I might have such a close relation as a brother alive, and it's taken me until the last day or two to get used to the idea. I was planning a surprise announcement for everybody today, but you jumped the gun."

"So you didn't know?" Sydney sat back down with a sigh of relief. "You've aren't planning to turn us all in?"

"If I had been, wouldn't I have done so already? And why would I have caused so many problems for the Centre? No, Sydney, I'm not switching allegiances just for the sake of family." She smiled at Debbie. "After all, I've got family, haven't I, so I don't need an older brother."

"Does he know?"

"I've got no idea." She shrugged. "But I’d thought about calling him and making him aware of the fact – and who was responsible for the total mainframe disaster. Let's see if he's got a stronger sense of family loyalty than I have."

Sydney laughed softly. "The irony in this is fantastic."

"Even better, though, will be the reaction of some people here. Yours was good but I think Jarod's will be better, topped only by Miss Parker's."

"Please," Sydney begged. "Let me be there when you tell them. I have got to see their faces!"

# # #


Helen put the thermometer back in the bag and looked at the man who was sitting up in bed. "If I couldn't still see that rash, I'd never have believed that you'd even been sick!"

"So can I get up?"

"Well, not having enough rope to tie you down, I don't think I could keep an active person like you in bed today."

"I can keep him in bed." Margaret eyed her son, who smiled. "Just say the word, and I promise he won't be getting up."

"Now this is good." Helen laughed. "Ultimate power."

"Oh, please. You've had ultimate power for the past week." Jarod rolled his eyes, trying to hide a laugh. "Why not show a little mercy now?"

"It's not really my style."

"You could extend your résumé even further."

Folding her arms and leaning against the wall, Helen pretended to think for a few moments.

"Well, I suppose..."

"Good." Jarod prepared to throw back the blankets but his mother put a hand on his shoulder.

"Just a moment, oh overeager son of mine. She hasn't finished that sentence yet and knowing Helen she's probably got some nasty ending coming."

"Margaret, really!" The doctor rolled her eyes. "You give everyone the most awful ideas about me and I'm actually a very nice person."

"Would Jarod have said that when you drugged him? Would Sydney and Broots have said that as you knocked them out, or Miss Parker?"

"Just because I've put a few people to sleep, for one reason or another..."

"And you've got some secret that you're not telling me." Margaret's eyes traveled from Helen her son. "Both of you and Emily are all part of some great plan that you're not telling anyone else about."

"You're right." Helen spoke before Jarod managed to work out the best response, a smile on her face as she looked at the older woman. "But we aren't going to tell you what it is, so don't ask. I know you cornered Em yesterday but she's as good at keeping secrets as we are. You'll know when you do."

"And to change the subject to something totally unexpected," Jarod interrupted, the suppressed amusement in his eyes again. "Can I get up?"

Helen laughed. "Yes, that was wonderfully unexpected. I'll see how you are once you've had a shower. You can be patient for that long, I'm sure."

Rolling his eyes again, Jarod sent a mock glare in her direction. "Just in case you hadn't noticed, Helen," he grumbled. "I'm not a patient person."

"True," she responded with a mock glare of her own. "But a word in the sentence was particularly accurate. You are a patient. My patient. And you'll get up at my say-so or not at all."

He narrowed his eyes. "What were you going to say after your 'Well, I suppose…' beginning?"

Helen laughed. "I’ve said it before and I'll say it again. They don't call you a genius for nothing, do they?"

"Well?"

"Well, I suppose," she hesitated and watched the frustrated expression come into his eyes, " I can't see any reason for you not to spend the day downstairs, like you did yesterday, in front of the fire and not doing a lot." As he grinned, she sat next to him, her face serious. "Jarod, you're still not better, so don't bother trying to run around the way you normally would, or all that will happen is that you'll collapse. If it happens, I won't need to tie you down because you won't be able to get out of bed. Got it?"

He nodded soberly. "But I should be able to tell before that happens, right?"

"If you pay attention to what your body's saying, yes, you should. But if you think you'll be doing a lot more today than you did yesterday, you've got another think coming, so get your genius mind used to the idea."

"What, another day of drinking hot cocoa in front of a warm fire, reading a good book and playing at Trivial Pursuit?" He grinned. "I think I can cope with that."

Helen looked up with a laugh. "Margaret, do you want to go downstairs and make your son a nest in one of the armchairs for him to sit in today? He probably wouldn't mind a bit of that cocoa when he comes down and, as you make it even better than I do, I'm sure…"

Smiling, the older woman went to the door. "I'll see what I can do."

"Great."

The doctor watched as the door closed and after a moment, went over and eased it open, looking up and down the hall before shutting it again and turning to Jarod. "I hope you realize that I meant all of that."

"I know you did. But I also realize you were telling me that unless I conserve energy this morning, I'll be asleep when Dad gets here later."

"Exactly." She reached into the cupboard and pulled out the dressing gown that he had worn the day before.

"Eddie wouldn't have fitted into that too well," Jarod commented as he pulled it on.

"That's because it was bought with you in mind, not him." She laughed. "After I'd done my basic planning, I went out and bought a few clothes for you. For the first day or two, Eddie had to fit into clothes that were intended to be worn by you, but then I did some shopping for him. Still, it means that I've got a few things that will, or at least should, fit you including the pajamas you're wearing, in case you didn't notice them before."

He grinned. "I did wonder where they appeared from."

"It must make a nice change from the constant black." Helen laughed. "If you feel like taking them with you when you leave, you're welcome to. I don't have a lot of use for them myself." She cast a glance at him. "That is, of course, unless you feel like sleeping here on the odd occasion that you might be in the area. You can have a key to the door, if you think it'll be helpful for you."

"Do you… are you sure?"

"I wouldn't ask if I wasn't." She smiled. "You’re right, it can be a little lonely here on my own. The thought of occasional company is nice."

Jarod eased on the slippers before slowly standing up. "Do you live here or in New Jersey most of the time?"

"That depends what I've been doing. But I tend to use the house in Falk more as a place to lure unsuspecting Centre victims, drug them and…"

"Okay, okay." He laughed. "Now did you say something before about a shower?"

# # #


Sydney glanced up from his book with a smile as Jarod was settled into the chair opposite.

"Out of bed twice in two days? You must be better."

"I'm hoping for three out of three as well."

Helen laughed and sat on the sofa next to Debbie, who immediately curled up in her lap before continuing to read. The doctor was about to pick up her own book when Jarod spoke.

"Helen, can I ask you something?"

"You can ask." She grinned. "I'm not promising to answer."

"Nothing's ever straightforward to you, is it?"

"Gee, that was an easy question," Helen laughed. "No, it's not."

The Pretender rolled his eyes. "You're well aware that that wasn't my question."

"I'm not sure whether I'm nice enough to answer two."

"Can I try anyway?"

"So I have to answer three now? Really, Jarod, this is too much."

"I'm sure you can be that considerate." He smiled. "I want to know what reason a single person has for having a house this size."

"And that wasn't even phrased like a question!"

"Deliberately so, giving you no reason not to answer it." He laughed. "Well?"

She smiled. "When I bought this house, with help from the Centre, in late August of 1996, I was expecting to be sharing it with somebody."

"Me?"

"Precisely. As I told you, I wanted to make sure, when I brought Eddie here, that he wouldn't be overloaded with new stimuli. I first had that thought while planning for your escape and that's the reason I chose this place. It had the advantage of the contained back yard as well."

"Clothes, a house," Jarod grinned, "I don't suppose you bought me a car too, did you?"

Helen laughed. "No, but after seeing the DSA of a SIM from January 1969, I did buy you a bike. I thought that a car might be a bit too much, too soon."

"Oh boy." He shook his head. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but your plan was a lot better than mine."

"Actually, the only advantage of my plan over yours was the secrecy. All the rest of the things I mentioned were just additional benefits."

"So what would have happened?"

Helen glanced at Sydney as he spoke. "You would have come into Jarod's room the next morning to find it empty. There would have been no signs of where he'd gone or how he got away. When Raines went to find Angelo, he would also have been missing, as would Eddie."

"Eddie, too?"

"He wasn't in my original plan, but it was versatile enough for me to have extended it to fit him. Considering that his life would have been in danger if we'd left him there, I think taking him would have been essential."

"So how would it have happened?"

"The same way I get in and out now - the air vents. I'd watched Jarod for several days and knew he had a very stringent pattern to his movements. By looping the security feed in his room, we could have done anything we wanted to, even repainted the walls if we were so inclined, and nobody would have realized until they opened the door. If nothing looked suspicious on the tape, nobody had a reason to open it and nobody would have. I’d planned to get him out an hour after the lights were turned off." She laughed. "The panic at the Centre the next day would have been almost as good as when the mainframe died."

"And we would all have been sitting here, in comfort, watching it."

"Exactly." Helen smiled. "You chose to do it the hard way, Jarod. Eddie had a far easier time after his escape than you did."

"He wasn't being chased."

"If you'd stopped dropping clues, you would have discovered pretty fast that you weren't either."

"That was part of the fun."

She smiled at Miss Parker as she entered the room. "Yes, it would have been a lot of fun if you'd found yourself with a bullet in your back one day."

"Can I ask something?"

"Same conditions apply as when Jarod asked, Sydney."

He laughed. "Okay, during the first day that Jarod was sick and you were being 'persuasive', you mentioned that he dreamed of flying. How did you know that?"

"Angelo, and Eddie." Helen smiled. "Angelo told me because he thought that a bit of information that personal would help Jarod believe he could trust me."

"And Eddie?"

"He dreamed the same thing. We talked about it one day and, the next morning, I took him to an airfield nearby so that we could go up in a plane."

"You're a pilot?"

"Uh huh." She sipped the cocoa that Margaret put in front of her before speaking again. "I learned to fly in 1994. Eddie told me how you and he talked about it one day, so I thought he'd like to try."

"And did he like it?"

"Did he?" Helen rolled her eyes. "The only things Eddie he liked more were his wife, his kids and my cocoa." She laughed. "He got his pilot's license about a year after he got married." The doctor looked at Jarod sternly. "Unlike a particular other person I could name, Eddie never faked his IDs. Margaret thinks I'm dishonest, but if she knew the things her own son did, she'd never be able to tell me off again."

"That's why I haven't told her - yet."

"And that's another thing I want to know." Sydney looked over as Helen rolled her eyes.

"Two questions? Well, greed is supposed to be good. What is it this time?"

"How did you know where to find Jarod's mother?"

"Several ways. First, I had a good idea of what corner of the continent she would be in. In one of the letters she sent me, Margaret said that only something really extreme would prevent her from working in this part of the States. If she hadn't been here, I would have looked further afield. Second, unlike Jarod, she had a habit of changing her first name, not her surname. Third, I knew what job she'd be doing. I ended up with a short-list of about eight names and rang the various schools. Only one matched with everything else I asked and that's where I found her. Easy, huh?"

"Can I ask something, too?" the brunette queried.

Helen looked up. "Ask me?"

"No." Miss Parker shook her head and looked at Margaret, who smiled, as if the request was no surprise. "You."

"Of course you can."

The younger woman pulled a sheet of paper out of her pocket, unfolded it and pushed it across the coffee table. Jarod glanced at it and turned to his mother, his expression expectant. Margaret took up the printout of the photograph with a smile before looking up.

"What's the question?"

"How did you know my mother?"

Margaret laughed softly, gazing down at the picture, before she spoke. "That's a rather strange thing to ask. You might just as well ask how the birds know how to fly as to ask how I know my own cousin."

"Cousin?" It came from the two people simultaneously.

"Of course. My mother and Catherine's were sisters. She and I were cousins and that, naturally, makes you three, including Emily, second cousins."

"Why didn't you ever say anything?

"When, Jarod?" Margaret looked at him, her eyes alight with amusement. "In the few seconds we had in 1997? Or when you were too sick to remember me even saying it? No, I decided it would be better to wait until I was asked or until you were together, so I wouldn't have to repeat myself."

"Tell us."

Margaret drained her mug and then put it on the table, placing the printed picture next to it.

"First I want to know where you got it. Catherine and I were the only people who had that photo." Margaret took out a picture wallet, from which she extracted the same image, placing it beside the larger one. Jarod could see small photos of himself, Kyle and Emily and smiled sadly. As he did so, Margaret looked at Miss Parker. "Did Catherine leave it to you after she died?"

"No." Miss Parker shook her head and glanced at Jarod. "We both received it just a few months ago, in an email."

"From Raines." Helen's lips twitched as she saw the expressions on the two people’s faces as they turned to her.

"How did you know?!"

"I know because I happened to be at the Centre and passing in the air vent. I saw a room with a light and looked in to see him and the photo on his monitor, as well as hearing the mechanical voice, saying it had been 'sent.' If I'd known it was the two of you who were the recipients, I would have said something earlier, but there was no way of me knowing that."

"And do you also happen to know how he got it?"

"Actually, yes, I do." Helen's expression hardened. "As you know, Raines' forest house has a very good security system. When I first learnt about the Centre, I was just as keen to find Kyle as I was to find Jarod, so I went and hacked into the system to see what I could learn."

Face sad, Helen glanced from Miss Parker to Jarod and then Margaret. "After he killed Catherine Parker, Raines ordered her body cremated but he was desperate to find the DSA he knew she'd made so he searched her first. During that search, he found the picture, in a wallet like that one." She nodded towards the leather item on the table. "Catherine must have felt that it wasn't a thing she wanted to part with. So Raines kept it, presumably to use against the two of you one day."

Getting up from her seat, she gently rested the sleeping girl against her father's arm and left the room, going into the kitchen and closing the door.

"When that photograph was taken, we promised each other that the only people who would ever have it were ourselves or our children." Margaret smiled at Miss Parker. "You were two and it was taken on Jarod's third birthday. The photo was developed and we promised that after we died, we would give them to our children so they’d be able to recognize one another, if they ever met later in life." Her expression saddened. "Neither of us imagined the circumstances under which you did meet."

"And…did you keep in contact?"

"Of course we did. We had been friends for our entire lives and we stayed friends until the end of Catherine's life. She even told me about Ethan."

Sydney's eyed widened slightly. "I didn't think she was going to tell anyone about that."

"Except you." Margaret looked at him. "She said that you and Jarod were the only two people, apart from those who organized it of course, who knew."

Nodding, the psychiatrist got out of his chair and also left the room, going into the kitchen and closing the door behind him.

"Helen?"

Looking around, he found the room empty. A quick look through the rooms of the cellar revealed that they, too, were free of occupation and, taking his coat from the hook near the door, he went into the back garden. Footsteps in the snow clearly showed where the object of his search had gone and Sydney followed the tracks until he found Helen leaning against the wall, head lowered. He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and felt her jump as she turned.

"Are you all right?"

"You mean apart from the heart attack I just had?"

Sydney looked at her more closely, noting her red eyes, as he put his arm around her shoulders and felt her trembling slightly.

"It's not exactly the kind of weather to come out without a jacket."

"I… didn't really think about it." She looked at him. "Where are the others?"

"In the living room. Margaret was going to start telling them about Catherine." He paused. "Come back inside, Helen. You don't want to get sick too."

"That could be entertaining." She smiled faintly, allowing him to guide her back to the house. "You might never be able to leave."

Smiling, Sydney followed her into the kitchen, firmly closing the door after them and then pouring hot water from the jug into a mug. Mixing up a strong cup of coffee, he pushed it into her hands before taking a seat opposite her.

"What is it?"

She sipped the hot drink, staring down at the surface of the table for a moment before looking up at him. "An unpleasant memory."

"That footage from Raines' house?"

Nodding, she shut her eyes briefly and swallowed, her fingers tightening around the mug. "It… the things he did..." She stopped, unwilling and unable to continue, the last of the color fading from her face as her voice sank to a soft whisper. "At least nobody else will ever have to see that."

"You destroyed it?"

"I couldn't help myself. I was so… out of control. I’d never been like that, even when I ran away from the convent. This was just so much worse. It was something that simply terrified me. I was horrified to think that I might, one day, feel that way around the children I was trying to help. So I took out all my rage on the tape. When I was finished, it was in pieces on the floor and I left them there." Her voice became soft. "I wonder what he did when he found them..."

"But it's more than that." Sydney leaned forward. "What else is wrong?"

Slowly she shook her head. "I couldn't tell you."

"Why not?"

"It's… too silly."

He looked at her closely. "Just because Margaret is also related to Miss Parker, that doesn't mean her feelings for you will change. You're just as important to her as you ever were, Helen."

"How did you know?" Helen’s eyes, when she looked up, were wide with surprise, and Sydney laughed.

"Long years at medical school, and even longer specializing." He put his hand over hers. "As well as personal experience. I know how it feels when all the people around you seems to be finding family or people to care for them and you don't."

"That's why it seems so silly." She looked at him. "I've just been presented with a family and yet I still couldn't stop myself from feeling like that."

"What sort of a family is it, though? A brother who is the head of the organization you hate for what they do to people and an adoptive relationship you're afraid will end as soon as Debbie leaves."

"Those long years taught you a thing or two, didn't they?" Helen paused. "I don't want to ruin this for them, especially Miss Parker, and I can't help wondering if it wouldn't be better if I disappeared this time instead. I got over it when she stopped writing to me and she would cope if I left. She'd understand."

"Debbie wouldn't." Sydney tightened the hold he had on her hand. "Don't think of that kind of thing right now, not while you're still trying to deal with everything else as well. This isn't the time to be making decisions like that, especially ones that will only at best provide a short-term solution. You have to confront this at some stage and you can't confront it on your own."

Sydney watched as she slowly nodded, and he spoke quietly.

"Besides, you doing that to Debbie is nearly as selfish as what Jarod did. It's calling out for attention in much the same way as he did, and it would break Debbie’s heart to lose another mother. Even if she does change a little when she goes home, I think she's loyal enough not to forget it all. Her father is certainly very loyal and Debbie seems to have inherited the same trait from him."

"I know." Helen spoke quietly. "I thought of that myself. That’s why I didn't go, why I only stayed in the garden."

"I thought it might have been." Sydney watched he swallow the last of the coffee. "If I didn't think you’d came up with it yourself, I would never have said anything. I don't feel like having you hate me today."

Her lips curled into a small smile as she looked up at him. "I promise to hate you for that if you’ll promise to hate me for abducting you."

"You mean I have to remember something from that far back?" Sydney rolled his eyes, smiling. "I don't know if my memory's that good anymore."

# # #


Coming into the kitchen, Margaret put her arms around the woman standing at the sink, preparing to drain a large saucepan of boiled potatoes, and Helen came close to dropping the lot.

"What on earth...?"

"I just talked to Sydney."

"Well, if you and Sydney want to eat lunch. it might be a good idea if you don't give me a fright like that one again." Helen half-smiled and placed the large pot on the sink before she turned to look at the woman. "Where are the others?"

"Staying warm in front of the living room fire, rather than going for a wander in the snow because they're afraid of ruining a seeming ‘family reunion’." Margaret put a hand on either side of Helen's head, making the woman look at her. "And if you'd disappeared, don't you think that I would have found you as easily as you found me?"

"Probably." Helen paused. "Still, there are a lot of places for a thief to hide."

"If that was all you were, I wouldn't bother looking, but you never are, and you never will be, just that." Margaret brushed a stray strand of hair away from the woman's face. "You're so much more, Helen. Not just because of everything you've done in the past week for my family, but for a long time before that. You know I wouldn't have told a 'thief' all the things I've told you since you were fifteen." She smiled at the woman. "You're a very special part of my life, just as special as my son or my daughter, but for different reasons. Please believe me when I say that, and don't decide that my life would be better without you. We both know it wouldn't."

Soundlessly, Helen nodded, burying her face in the woman's shoulder and letting a few tears flow onto the woman's shirt. She put her arms around Margaret for a moment before pulling away and looking up, about to reply when a voice spoke from the doorway.

"Mommy?"

Helen looked over to find the girl standing in the doorway. "What is it, Debbie?"

"Can I come in and watch you make lunch?"

"Well," Helen walked over, picking up the girl, "it's much warmer in the living room than it is here."

"But you aren’t there." Debbie put her arms around Helen's neck, hugging her. "And, when I woke up, you were gone."

"I'm sorry, baby." Helen kissed her. "Next time, I'll try not to be."

"So can I stay? Please?"

Margaret sat down on one of the chairs and took the girl onto her lap. "What say you and I watch Helen finish making lunch, huh?"

"What are you making, Mommy?"

"A lot of different things, sweetheart. We've only got a lot of bits and pieces left in the house, with so many people here and after so long of not shopping."

"Will you go shopping again before we go?"

"I'm going to have to, Debbie, or we might all go hungry for the next day or two. I was thinking I might drag your dad and Sydney along with me tonight."

"And why not me?" Margaret looked up, curiosity on her face, and Helen laughed as she finished draining the potatoes.

"I didn't think you'd want your poor son to be left alone while he's recovering, but if you want to come along when I go, you're welcome to."

"Can I come?"

"We'll see how late it is when I go, sweetheart, and how you're feeling." Helen got a few trays out of the cupboard and put them on the table, putting piles of mugs and plates, as well as crockery, on one and, putting on oven mitts, moved dishes full of food from the oven onto the other. Tipping the potatoes into a warm bowl, she looked up at the other two people.

"Lunch appears to be served. Should we take it in to gladden the hearts of the mob in the living room?"

# # #


"What on earth was that?" Jarod ate the last mouthful of stew and looked at Helen questioningly. "I've never tasted anything like it."

"Is that good or bad?"

"Oh, it was good. I'm just interested to know what it was."

"An attempt to use up the last of the food in the house so that we can do a large shop tonight. I’m not sure what I'd call it, and I know it was an original, because I can't remember everything that went into it."

He grinned. "Still, it made a nice change from soup."

"Are you criticizing my cooking, Jarod?" Emily tried to look indignant.

"As if I would!"

"That wasn't the denial I was hoping for."

Jarod laughed and reached over to hug her. "Yes, I like your cooking, but I like a little variety, too."

"Like the variety of clothes you wear?" Emily snapped. "Black, black and, oh yes, of course, how could I forget black?"

"So teach him about fashion," Helen smiled. "After all, it's one of the things you're best at."

"And don't forget, Em," Margaret leaned over, "your brother wouldn't know much about good food anyway. He's only been eating it for six years, and, in all that time, I doubt it he's had many home-cooked meals. We'll have to get him used to them once we leave here."

Helen hid a smile as she stood up and collected the dirty dishes, piling them onto the trays and carrying the first of those into the kitchen. Glancing up, she saw two people standing at the back door and let them in before they had a chance to knock. The boy immediately threw both arms around her and hugged her.

"Hi Helen."

"Hey, short-stuff. How've you been?"

"I missed you. How come you didn't call?"

"I've been busy, kiddo. Your big brother's been sick."

"What was wrong with him?" Major Charles unwrapped the scarf from his neck as Helen took the boy's jacket and hung it up.

"He had the measles, but he's a lot better. The rash is fading fast and he's eating every meal as if it's his last." She looked at the boy, who still had his arms around her waist. "He's not back to full strength yet, though, so no rough stuff, okay?"

"Yup." The boy looked around as Emily walked into the kitchen with the other tray and a smile on her face. She hardly managed to put the tray down before he was hugging her tightly. "Hi Em."

"How's my favorite baby brother?"

"As good as your only baby brother." He looked up. "Were you sick, too?"

"No, just Jarod and Debbie."

Helen grinned as she began to stack the dishwasher. "Still offended, Em?"

"Oh, terribly." She hugged her father, laughing. "You mean you can't tell?"

"Just checking." The doctor laughed also. "Now, how could we introduce these two into the conversation?"

"You didn't tell them we were coming?"

"I thought it might be a nice surprise." Helen smiled. "Em knew, though. I wanted to make sure she wouldn't mention you by accident."

"Hmm," Emily looked from her father to the boy whom they had put into the place of the youngest child in the family. "I'm not sure."

"What say Jonathan and I go in first? That should give them a small hint." Helen poured hot water into the jug and added a number of heaped spoonfuls of cocoa and sugar before fixing on the lid. Putting the jug on the tray with a large number of mugs, the doctor smiled. "Ready?"

"Uh huh." He wrapped his arms around her waist again and she looked down.

"It's a bit hard to walk like this.

"You'll manage," he told her confidently, grinning. "I know you will."
Part 12 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 12



Ashe, New York
Helen opened the door and the two people walked into the room unnoticed, as all attention was focused on the card game that was in progress. Placing the tray on the table, Helen sat beside Debbie and Jonathon sat on her other side. The girl's eyes widened at the sight of the strange boy, but Helen smilingly put a finger on her lips and the girl nodded, nestling closer to the woman. Jonathon stared for a moment but then did the same.

"Who's winning?"

"Jarod."

Sydney looked up, about to speak again, when he saw the boy. His jaw dropped and the doctor hid a smile, assuming her look of mock-innocence.

"Sydney, is something wrong?"

At the tone of Helen's voice, Jarod glanced up from his cards and his eyes fell on the boy sitting opposite him. A grin spread over his face and he put the cards down on the table, holding out his arms. "Hey, buddy. How's life?"

Jonathon got off the sofa and threw himself at the man. "I missed you and you didn't even call!"

"Easy, short-stuff." Helen spoke warning, trying to hide her giggles as she saw the expression on Margaret's face at her words. "I told you to be gentle with your big brother, remember? And I also told you why he hasn't called."

"I've been sick, Jon. If I had called, I probably wouldn't have talked any sense."

"That would have been a new experience." Helen laughed before turning to the older woman. "Do you remember me telling you about Project Gemini?"

Margaret nodded slowly. "And is that...?"

"That's him." Helen leaned over to tug on the boy's sweatshirt. "Hey kiddo, get over here and be introduced. Other people want to say hi too, you know."

Grinning, the boy got out of the chair and walked over, glancing at Helen. "Is this the person you told me about?"

"It sure is. You'll need to talk to her too, like you talked to your dad."

"And does she know that Dad's here?"

"Well, she didn't until you mentioned it." Helen looked over her shoulder, raising her voice slightly. "But he might as well come in now."

# # #


"Mommy?"

The girl's voice was a whisper and Helen leaned down. "What's up?"

"Who are they?" Debbie pointed to Jonathon, who had taken Margaret's cards and was soundly beating his older brother.

"That's Em and Jarod's little brother and their dad."

"And how does he know you?"

"Good question, Debbie." Sydney glanced at Helen. "How does he know you?"

The doctor smiled. "You know how Margaret was my philosophy teacher?"

"Yes."

"Charles was my flying teacher." She smiled. "Family connections. Margaret told him that I was interested in learning and so he taught me."

"And Jonathon?"

"I think this is a family failing, but I got called in to treat a particular disease a year ago when Jon was staying with a mutual friend of Charles' and mine. Guess which one."

"Hmm," Sydney looked thoughtful. "It couldn't have been the measles, could it?"

"I'm beginning to think that Jarod wasn't the only genius in your partnership."

"All right, I give up." Jarod himself interrupted the discussion at this point, tossing his cards onto the table. "You win."

Helen grinned. "Don't worry, Jarod. When Jon was sick, even I could beat him at that game."

"Oh, that's very comforting," he responded sarcastically. "Thanks."

The boy looked up. "Did you beat him at Trivial Pursuit too, Helen?"

"I sure did. He didn't like it any more than you did."

"Maybe we should team up against you."

"No way." She laughed, refilling her mug. "If I know either of you, you both sat down to memorize every question in each box and I like being the only person with that advantage. I might play one of you, but I'm not playing against a team with more than triple my I.Q."

Jarod looked over at his brother. "I think she's scared of losing."

"Probably." Jonathon finished the last of the hot drink in his mug. "Want to play it against me?"

"If you can cope with losing," Jarod teased. "Helen wasn't kidding when she said I learned every question. That's what I spent this morning doing."

"That makes two of us then." The boy got out the box and set up the board. "This could go on for a while, couldn't it?"

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

The man scanned the pages of results and glared at the man who was standing opposite him.

"How certain are you of your results?"

"We've done as many trials as we can." The researcher's voice trembled and he swallowed to try and ease his dry throat. "It was harder with the short time frame to work in, but we're pretty sure."

"If we gave you the same time frame again, could you be more sure?"

"Y… yes sir."

"Then get on with it."

Taking this as his dismissal, the man thankfully fled. The head of the Triumvirate waited until he was gone before looking at the other two people at the table.

"We need to get Mr. Parker back to the T-Board and find out how much he knows of all this."

"How big are the discrepancies?"

"Tiny. But they're enough to have caused major problems if we'd relied on them."

"And what about the other information that Raines has found in offices all over the Centre? Can we trust any of it now?"

"No," the first man growled. "I don't think we can."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen felt the slight draught, but was too busy concentrating on the evaporation process to look up for a moment. When she finally did, she saw Debbie standing just inside the closed door of the laboratory, a dreamy smile on her face, blinking sleepily.

"Mommy?"

Helen raised her goggles and removed gloves and mask before standing up. The girl swayed a little as the woman came over, bending down in front of her to put an arm around her shoulders. "Debbie, I'm not sure if it's a very good idea for you to come in here when I'm mixing things."

"Why not?" The girl's eyes were wide and her tones were drowsy as she nestled against Helen's shoulder.

"Because I mix up powerful drugs and they might have a bad effect on you." She gently brushed the hair out of the girl's eyes and smiled. "Still, the one I'm making now isn't so bad."

"So can I stay?"

"For about twenty minutes, baby, until this is finished, yes."

"Goody." There was little enthusiasm in her voice as Debbie followed Helen to the bench. "What are you…?" She stopped to yawn widely. "What one are you making now?"

"The one I use to keep people asleep when they already are." She smiled. "But it also makes people a bit drowsy while they're awake too."

Nodding, Debbie leaned her head on Helen's arm as she watched the last of the excess liquid vanish and the doctor carefully filtered the remainder into the bottle, sealing it and setting it aside.

"Does it work right away?"

"I usually give it about three days before I use it, sweetie, but, if I needed to use it today, I could."

"And how come you're still awake?"

"Because I made a drug that works to block it and gave it to myself." Smiling, she began to heat another beaker. "I gave it to Jarod as well."

"Why?"

"So that he could be safe when he was helping me to bring Miss Parker here."

"Will you give it to me, too?"

Helen looked down as the next batch began to evaporate. "Why would I do that, sweetheart?"

"I want to come down here and watch you work."

"But everybody's upstairs, having fun in the living room, baby. Wouldn't you really rather be up there than down here with me?"

"No." Debbie nestled close to the woman. "I like to be with you and we'll be going home soon so I want to spend time with you before we leave."

"Well," Helen responded quietly. "We'll see."

When the last bottle was prepared, Helen pushed aside the containers and made sure that the gas connection to the Bunsen burner was firmly turned off. Washing the beakers in hot water, she upturned them on the sink and left them to dry out. Lastly, she switched on the fan to air the room and turned to the girl who was sitting on a stool, leaning against the wall and nodding sleepily. As Helen came over, Debbie put up her arms and linked them around the doctor's neck as she was picked up. Debbie snuggled against Helen's shoulder and watched through dreamy eyes as the woman left the room, firmly locking the door behind her. As they entered the living room, Broots jumped to his feet.

"What on earth...?"

"Now don't panic." The doctor spoke reassuringly. "She came into the lab when I was bottling a sedative and it's affected her slightly, that's all."

"Which one?"

"The same one I used to get her into the car."

Broots sat down beside her and looked at his daughter. "I thought that it only had an affect when people were already asleep."

"That's when it has greatest affect, but exposure to it when a person is awake will leave them with somewhat reduced motor skills and lethargy. It's the same affect as you find on drugs when the labels say 'Do not operate heavy machinery after taking this medication'.

"I've been meaning to ask you about that." Jarod put down his book. "How was it that Miss Parker was so restless after you used it on her? As far as I understood it she really should have been out enough for us to get her into the car without all the problems we had."

"Still regretting that, Jarod?" Helen smiled and glanced at Debbie, who gave her a drowsy smile, shutting her eyes. "It's really only capable of deepening sleep, and by that I mean that if a person is already a light sleeper, they'll be in a state of slightly deeper sleep and less likely to wake. Miss Parker, when we arrived, was sitting up on the sofa, and wouldn't have been sleeping particularly soundly anyway. That made it easier for her to know that you were about to abandon her to her fate on the back seat." She grinned at the woman, who laughed before looking up, an expression of curiosity on her face.

"Have you ever been affected by your own creations?"

"Regularly." Helen grinned. "But, other than on one occasion, I've been able to hit the switch that will turn the fan on and clear the room, meaning that, although I've often woken up on the floor, it's usually only been a fairly short time later."

"And that one occasion?"

The doctor laughed. "I woke up to find myself in bed, in the next room." She laughed. "I couldn't understand it and, when I looked at my watch, I couldn't believe it either. It was over twelve hours since I'd gone to the lab. Eventually I sat up, looked around and saw a person sitting in the corner and grinning obnoxiously."

"Eddie?"

"Exactly. I'd sent him off to do some shopping and had taken advantage of him being gone to create a very strong sleeping gas. He'd wanted to help with it, but I was feeling cantankerous and said he couldn't. Unfortunately there must have been something wrong with the ventilating fan because he found me on the floor and, if it hadn't been for the fact that Eddie guessed what had happened, he probably would have rushed in without putting on a gas mask that I'd provided for just that situation." Helen laughed again. "If that had happened, I think the two of us would both probably both still be there."

"Have you ever used it?"

"No, not yet, except for testing. But it has another interesting effect. Somehow, in a way I don't fully understand, it seems to encourage sleepwalking. In the early stages, when Eddie found me on the floor, it didn't, but, by the time I'd finished refining and testing it, that was the end result."

"So was that you were planning to use on Miss Parker?" Jarod suggested.

"Exactly. Along with the willingness to go for a stroll, the person is also easy to direct. It's far better than the old 'truth serum', sodium pentathol, because as well as telling you anything, the person will also do anything their strength will permit. And, as a bonus, they won't be able to remember a thing about it later." She smiled slightly bitterly. "I'll bet the Centre was kicking themselves when that formula got stolen."

"The Centre?" Jarod's eyes widened. "And how did you find out about it?"

"It was one of Eddie's projects. He glanced through the pages that I'd stolen and recognized that one. After a few hours he told me what it was but said he'd never got it to the stage where it could be used. I suggested we try to make it and all of you now know the result."

# # #


Helen looked around. "Where are short-stuff and the philosopher?"

Charles looked up from the chess game he and Emily were playing. "They went to have the first mother-to-son chat while setting up beds for us."

"Where are they finding space for that? Let alone beds."

"I bought a couple of blow-up mattresses along, as well as sleeping bags, so one bed can go in Jarod's room for Jon and the other into Margaret's room for me."

She nodded and then glanced down at where the girl was asleep, her head lying in Helen's lap. "I was going to suggest that we go shopping, but I think I've become a willing captive of the sofa."

"We could play Trivial Pursuit again," the man opposite her suggested.

"Who won when you and Jon played?"

"I did." Jarod grinned in satisfaction. "Only by one question, but I won."

"Smarty." Helen got out the pieces. "Wipe that smirk off your face or I'll wipe it off for you when I beat you again."

"I'd like to see you try it." A determined look on his face, Jarod produced the card with a flourish. Reading it, his eyes widened slightly before he glared over at her. "Okay, where did you get the extra box from?"

"Do you know how many different sets of questions they made for this game? Of course, I bought every one. And I made sure you wouldn't find that one earlier, when you were memorizing." Helen sat back in the chair, raising an eyebrow and watching as the psychiatrist tried not to laugh. "You wouldn't have to consider the possibility of losing to me yet again by any chance, would you, Jarod?"

# # #


"Jarod, are you losing again?"

"I'm trying desperately hard not to," he laughed as the boy came and sat on the arm of his chair. "Unfortunately, I think the answer to your question is 'yes'."

"How? I thought you learned the answers."

"I did." He nodded at the box Helen had earlier managed to swap with another without anybody noticing. "But I learned those answers, not the ones that we're playing with now."

Jon narrowed his eyes. "That was very devious, Helen."

"I know," she smiled. "And it was a lot of fun, too." Rolling the die, Helene moved her piece to the very middle of the board and sat back expectantly. "I want to get the question on the card, thanks Jon, not one you make up out of your head the way you did when I beat you."

"Will you know?"

"Didn't I know when you tried it last time?"

"Mommy, are you winning again?" Debbie sat up and rested her head on Helen's chest, looking at the board.

"Yes, sweetheart, I am."

"Good." The girl watched the two people opposite conferring about a question for a moment before Jarod looked up, trying to hide a grin.

"Category: Sport."

Helen rolled her eyes. "Jon, I hate you. Jarod would never come up with that one on his own."

The Pretender laughed. "You learnt the questions, so I think it's only fair for me to get help."

"I don't." Reaching over, Helen grabbed the boy's wrist and pulled him around so he was sitting on the sofa next to her. "Oh, and I didn't learn the questions, I learned the answers. There's a big difference."

"Helen?"

The woman looked up as the technician carried the laptop into the room and she smiled. "News from the work front?"

"They've got the first round of results from the projects."

"And?"

He shook his head and waved a finger disapprovingly at her. "Your brother's very disappointed with you, Helen."

Sydney fought to hide a grin as he watched the eyes of the man seated opposite him widen and felt Miss Parker stiffen as she sat on the floor, leaning against the psychiatrist's chair to be close to the fire. Ignoring their reactions, Helen heaved a rueful-sounding sigh.

"I always knew he didn't like me. He's probably jealous or something."

"Want to watch?"

"Sure." She grinned. "It's always fun when his face is the same color as his hair and I seem to be very good at causing that."

Jarod reached out and pushed down the lid of the laptop as Broots put it in front of the woman.

"Tell me," he began conversationally, "whose 'brother' might the two of you be discussing?"

"Mine, of course." Helen shrugged in mock nonchalance, as she struggled to avoid the eyes of both Sydney and Broots. "Who else's brother could I talk about in such a casual fashion?"

"And," continued Jarod in the same tones. "What would your brother's connection with the Centre be?"

"Oh, he's head of the Triumvirate." Holding tightly to her self-control, she glanced at Sydney. "I'm sure I said something about that at some stage."

"Well, you told me," he responded in similar tones. "But I'm not sure that you ever mentioned it to anyone else. Broots and Debbie know, of course, but it may have possibly slipped your mind when you were telling your family history to everybody else."

"Oh dear," she responded lightly. "How could I have forgotten that?"

"In your defense, Helen," the psychiatrist answered, "you have been rather busy. I'm sure it's understandable that you forgot even something as important as the fact that your big brother's in charge of the Centre."

"He's what?!" Unable to take it any longer, Miss Parker jumped to her feet. "What do you mean, he's head of the Triumvirate?"

"What do you mean 'what do I mean'? I mean he's head of the Triumvirate. That red-haired man who gets to order everybody else, including you, around also just happens to be my big brother." Helen grinned as she felt Debbie begin to giggle, continuing to speak in nonchalant tones. "I don't know why you find that detail so surprising, Miss Parker. You have a brother yourself. Jarod has two. As far as I'm aware the only people in this room who don't or haven't had one at some stage in their lives are Margaret and Debbie. It's not a very difficult thing to do."

"And you just happened not to mention this fact before," Jarod commented.

"Like I said, it must have slipped my mind." Helen looked down as her lips started to twitch. "I'm sure, if I had remembered, I would have mentioned it at some point because I know it's a fact of interest to a few people here."

"Like everybody," Broots commented as he sat down on the sofa. "There's not a single person in the room who doesn't find that fact interesting."

"I think that I could fairly say that it's of most interest to me."

"And does he know this fact?" Margaret asked calmly.

"That he's the head of the Triumvirate and in charge of the Centre?" Helen fought the urge to laugh. "Probably."

"Actually," Margaret rolled her eyes, "I mean the other fact."

"I have no idea," Helen responded. "I have thought about calling him and letting it slip but I think I'll hold onto it for now. Knowledge is power and, if I'm ever caught, it might be a useful card to have up my sleeve."

"And when did you find that tiny, unimportant piece of information out?"

Helen looked at Broots. "Was it four days ago that you noticed?"

"I think so. About that, anyway."

She looked at Jarod, struggling to hide a smile. "What's the matter? Surely a little thing like that isn't going to change the way you think of me? I'm no different from the person I was twenty minutes ago."

"I just don't like the shadow I can suddenly see behind you."

"Oh, Jarod," Helen wailed, giving a muffled sob "I never thought you could be so shallow. Just because my big brother turns out to be an absolute bastard doesn't mean that you won't ever speak to me again, does it?"

"No." He tried to hide a grin. "The reason I'm never going to speak to you again is because you beat me at Trivial Pursuit twice and were so smug about it. The new fact I just learned about your family is what's making me never want to stay in the same room with you again."

Helen pulled a tissue out of her pocket, making an obvious show of blowing her nose and wiping her eyes before she looked up again.

"And you, Miss Parker? Are you going to do the same as your second cousin and never want to stay in the same room with me either?"

"Well," the woman sent her a mock-glare, "I'll think about it."

"Em?"

"Oh, I'll go along with whatever the rest of the family decide." She smiled. "I don't want to be seen as an outsider, do I?"

"Don't worry, Mommy." Debbie threw her arms around the woman's neck. "I won't be so nasty as to never want to see you again after you took care of me." The girl glared at Jarod. "I don't want to be ungrateful or anything."

Sydney laughed. "Well done, Debbie. You stand by Helen, even if nobody else is willing to."

"Will you, Sydney?" Helen looked up, her eyes sparkling with amusement but the rest of her face wearing an expression of concern.

"Hmm, give me time to consider."

Helen looked down at Jonathon and he smiled. "Before you ask me, I agree with Debbie." He put his arms around Helen's waist, hugging her. "I don't want to be seen as ungrateful either."

"Okay, I'm satisfied now." She put one arm around Jon's shoulders and the other around Debbie. "I don't need anybody else's support. I've got all I need."

"What about me?" Broots tried to look offended. "Doesn't my opinion count?"

"I'm not sure whether I want to hear it, but go on."

"Well, as I don't want Debbie to have to choose between us, I'll support you too."

Helen glanced over to where Margaret and Charles had watched the exchange in silence but with amusement evident on their faces. "And my beloved teachers?"

"We need time to consider as well," Charles responded with a grin.

"Fine." Helen got up. "I'll take my supporters and go shopping while you weak, indecisive people make up your minds. Just don't hope to lay eyes on any of us ever again, that's all."

"Hey!" Miss Parker bounded to her feet again, glaring up at the woman in mock-indignation. "You can't just abscond with my technician like that! What likelihood do I have of locating my second cousin, when your brother puts pressure on me for results, if Broots isn't around?"

"That's your problem, not mine. If you'd been nice, I might have let you share, but you weren't."

# # #


Helen followed Broots into the house carrying the last of the bags, and Debbie shut the door, blocking out the cold wind. Putting the bags down on the table, Helen removed the girl's jacket and scarf, but left her sweater on and gave her a loving push in the direction of the living room.

"Go and sit in front of the fire, sweetie, and get warmed up, okay? We'll be there soon."

The girl nodded and her father followed her out of the room. Helen smiled at Jonathon, who was kneeling in front of the fridge putting things away. "How's it all going?"

"Nearly done." He grinned. "Are you going to go into the living room or let them think that they've really offended you?"

"Gee, darn." The doctor looked down in mock-annoyance. "I wish I hadn't said to Debbie that I'd come. I could have given them an interesting situation to deal with, but I can't do that now." She shrugged. "Oh, well. I'll just pretend they aren't there."

"You do that." He stood up and hugged her. "We'll both do it, shall we?"

"Well, you should be able to pretend," she teased him. "Okay, let's get all this put away and then we will."

Going into the room nearly ten minutes later, Helen sat beside Debbie and let the girl lean against her shoulder as she and Jonathon both picked up books and read with interest. Broots, after eyeing them in amusement for a moment, did the same.

"Helen?"

The woman looked down at the boy. "Did you hear something, Jon?"

"No." He shook his head. "Nothing important, anyway. Maybe it was just a piece of wood falling in the fire."

"Could be." She returned to her book as Sydney hid a smile at the expression on Jarod's face.

"Helen, don't you want to hear our decision?"

The woman continued to read, raising a hand to lovingly stroke Debbie's hair as the girl drowsed against her shoulder.

"I think we're being ignored," commented Margaret after a few minutes of silence.

"No, really?" Emily stared at her mother. "What on earth gave you that idea?"

"Just a random guess."

Helen looked down at Jonathon. "Short-stuff, did you leave your new acquisitions in the kitchen?"

"Oops." He got up and disappeared from the room, returning with a shopping bag that he opened, expertly unwrapping and filling a PEZ dispenser before offering it to her. "Want one?"

"Sure." She took a piece of the candy, slipping it between her teeth. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

He offered it to Broots, who declined with a grin, before slipping it into his shirt pocket. Taking out an O'Henry bar, Jon tucked the bag down between himself and Helen, before unwrapping the chocolate and starting to eat it as he picked up his book again. Sydney watched Jarod staring at the dispenser, with an undeniable look of desire in his eyes, and the psychiatrist laughed.

"I think they're winning."

"So how do we win?" his former student queried.

"Hard-core begging and humiliation." Sydney shrugged. "It's the only way."

Jarod grinned. "I'm not sure we've reached that stage yet."

Helen looked down at the boy again. "Do you want to practice your cocoa-making skills for the three of us? And don't forget about the marshmallows I bought. If you'll bring the crackers in as well, we can make s'mores."

"Sure thing." The boy got up. "Make sure nobody steals my treasure."

"Who would?" Helen shrugged. "As you said, we're the only ones of importance here, and Broots doesn't like them."

"True."

He grinned and left the room, returning quickly with an open pack of marshmallows and a sealed one of crackers, both of which he gave to Broots, with a toasting fork. The technician got up and, without a word, loaded the fork and moved over to the fire. Helen turned a page of her book, reaching out a hand in time to move away the bag as Miss Parker's hand snuck towards it from her seat on the floor. The doctor raised her voice.

"How much sugar did I instruct you to use last time, Jon?"

"Too much and then some," came the laughing reply from the kitchen.

"Good boy. I was hoping you wouldn't forget."

Broots made the s'mores and gave one to Helen, eating the other himself, before starting to cook more. As he held them over the flames, Jon appeared with three mugs on a tray. Handing one to the technician, he handed the second to Helen before picking up the third and his book. Leaning his head against Helen's free shoulder Jonathon sipped the hot cocoa, licking the partly melted marshmallow from his lips, and Sydney saw Jarod unconsciously swallow and lick his own top lip.

"Here, Jon." Broots handed Jonathon one of the s'mores and the boy slowly devoured it, licking every crumb off his fingers.

"Thanks, Broots, that was great."

"I'll do you another in a sec." Broots ate the other s'more and then stuck more of the white, fluffy marshmallows onto the toasting fork. "You and Helen can have the next two.

"Sounds good, Broots." Helen turned another page, sipping her cocoa before she smiled down at Jon. "You know, your cocoa's just as good as mine. I can even taste all the sweetness in spite of the PEZ and the s'mores. And it's so creamy too. Did you use the full-cream milk?"

"Uh huh." The boy sipped his drink. "I thought it could only enhance the flavor."

"I must remember that when I make more for the three of us later."

"Four."

"Four?" Helen raised an eyebrow before nodding. "Oh, Debbie, right."

"Okay, all right, enough. You win!"

Helen lifted her hand from Debbie's hair and rubbed her ear. "You know, I’d almost swear I'm hearing things."

"Maybe you need to go to a doctor or something. It might be serious."

"I'll see if it gets better." She read for a moment before glancing up. "Do you think they still deliver pizzas in this weather?"

"Oh, that was low." Sydney grinned at Margaret. "They're hitting every single one of Jarod's weak points."

"It shouldn't matter if they don't deliver." Jon shrugged. "I thought we got all of the ingredients we might need to make pizza for us four."

"Oh yes, so we did. And I bought plenty of ice cream too, so we'll have things to enjoy for desert." She took her second s'more and ate it, glancing at Broots. "Try not to use all of those. We'll want more cocoa later and it would be a great pity if it had to be marshmallow-free."

"No problem." He stuck one more on the prong and then rolled the top of the bag and pocketed it. "I'll do this one for me and that'll do for the three of us."

"You know, Helen," Sydney commented, "I never actually stated whether I would stand by you or not. I think I will."

"Traitor," Miss Parker muttered under her breath, but still audibly.

"Jon," Helen looked at the boy, "will you go and make a hot mug of coffee for our new friend? I think he'd prefer that to cocoa."

"Sure thing." The boy left his book but, to Jarod's chagrin, took his cocoa and bag of candy with him.

"Helen, should I offer to make that same new friend one of my confections?"

"You'd better ask if he wants one first. It would be such a shame if we had to toss it into the fire if he didn't."

"Would you care for one, Sydney?"

"Thank you, Broots, I'd love one."

The man accepted his coffee and the s'more before handing Broots the book that was lying on the free seat on the sofa and picking up his own.

"I think I need to amend my sentence," Margaret commented. "The rest of us are being ignored."

"Well, you know," Charles turned to her, "we never made a decision one way or the other either."

"Oh, neither we did." The woman smiled. "Should we give the others an example of that begging Sydney mentioned before?"

"I have a better idea." He whispered into the woman's ear for a moment as Jarod, Emily and Miss Parker exchanged wary glances. Margaret laughed, nodding, and turned to the woman on the sofa.

"Helen, we two who made no firm decisions would like to volunteer ourselves as supportive pizza makers of tonight's dinner."

The doctor looked up from her book and smiled. "I think that's a very acceptable alternative to the begging I could have sworn I heard mentioned some time ago." She looked at Broots. "Would you care to induct our two newest members into the s'mores support group?"

"Certainly." The technician turned to his task with alacrity and the boy put down his book, heading for the kitchen to make two mugs of coffee. Miss Parker looked at Jarod.

"I think we're in a minority."

"It's about to get smaller," Emily laughed. "I promised to support my family, so I think that means I'm included in the pizza-making team, if they'll have me."

"I find that acceptable, Emily." Helen nodded graciously and Broots, having given out the s'mores, now made another. "Considering how friendless I was before, I seem to be doing quite well now."

"It's amazing what emotional blackmail will do," Sydney commented airily, sipping his coffee.

Miss Parker suddenly raised her head. "It occurs to me that I only said I'd think about it too." She moved over to sit at the doctor's feet. "Might it be possible for me to throw my support behind you as well? I would happily make ice cream sundaes after tonight's pizza."

"Well," Helen eyed her. "I'm not sure." She glanced from Jon to Broots. "What do my most faithful followers say?"

The technician watched Jarod out of the corner of his eye before nodding. "I'm of the opinion that it would be a good idea."

Jon nodded and went into the kitchen, to reappear immediately carrying two big mugs of cocoa in which half-melted marshmallows already bobbed. With a laugh, Margaret turned to her husband.


"We appear to have lost a son."

"You've still got one, Mom," Jon grinned from the seat on the sofa. "And as I'm exactly the same as the one you no longer have, you've got no reason to miss him."

"You just have more sense, Jon," Helen remarked. "And that's a big difference."

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Debbie?" Helen looked down at the girl. "What is it?"

"Is everybody still being nasty?"

"Not quite, baby. Only one person's not supporting me now."

The girl eyed each person in the room before looking back. "Is it Jarod?"

"Very good." She hugged the girl and handed her the almost-empty mug. "Do you want to finish that for me, sweetheart?"

"Mmm hmm." The girl swallowed the last of the hot drink, shaking the mug until a partly melted marshmallow fell into her mouth and she ate it. "That was nice."

"Good, sweetie." Helen dipped a finger into the mug and licked the last of the soft whiteness off her fingertip before reaching forward to put it on the coffee table.

Jon pulled the PEZ dispenser out of his pocket and offered it to Debbie, who took a piece and looked at it. "What flavor it is?"

"Cherry." The boy tilted the dispenser to one side and ate a piece before putting it back in his pocket. "My favorite."

Sydney watched Jarod nod involuntarily and hid a smile as the Pretender took up his book and tried to ignore what was going on.

"Jon, what else did you get in that bag of yours?"

Keeping an eye on the man opposite him, Sydney watched as, in response to his question, the boy got up from his chair and tipped a pile of candy and chocolates onto the psychiatrist's lap.

"That seems like an awful lot of stuff for one person."

"Well, apparently I was supposed to share," Jon eyed Jarod surreptitiously "But it seems that, as there's nobody important enough here for me to even consider it, I guess I'm allowed to have it all myself."

"But not all at once, Jon," Charles warned. "I doubt Helen will want to get up in the night to treat a bilious boy."

"Still," Helen commented, "as a reward for loyalty I think it's only fair that he gets something, don't you?"

"And what did Debbie get?"

"Sweetheart, do you want to go and bring in the thing I bought for you?"

"Uh huh." Debbie jumped up from the sofa and ran into the kitchen. "Mommy, do you want me to bring yours too?"

"That would be nice, baby."

The girl reappeared with two cans of Dr. Pepper and two large glasses. Sydney's eyes traveled from the shining can to the man who was still desperately trying to read. As the first can was opened, Sydney saw Jarod's hand involuntarily tighten and knew that the younger man was reaching his limit. He decided to push it.

"You know, Helen, considering how loyal Debbie was to you, being your first and best friend, I'm surprised she didn't get more."

"Oh, that's not everything." The doctor put down her book. "Although Miss Parker volunteered to make ice cream sundaes for us, I'm going to make Debbie's, and I bought a lot of lovely things to add to it."

"Such as?"

"Chocolate sprinkles, crushed nuts, glacé cherries, cookie pieces, peanut brittle, wafer bits, mint chips, a Crunchie bar to break up and sprinkle over it..."

"Jelly," added Debbie with a grin, watching Jarod swallow hard.

"Don't forget the extra special ice cream and toppings."

"You're right, Jon." She hugged him. "They don't call you a genius for nothing, do they?"

Margaret leaned over to Sydney, speaking softly. "I think my son's about to cry."

"Jon?" The psychiatrist raised an eyebrow, responding in similar tones. "Now why would he do that?"

"I didn't mean him."

The man smiled. "I think you're right."

"Broots," Helen looked up at him. "Did you say something yesterday about a t.v program that you didn't want to miss?"

"Oh, right." He looked at his watch and stood up. "Thanks for the reminder. Debbie, do you want to come?"

"Uh huh." She got off the sofa. "Is anyone else coming?"

"I will." Jonathon got up also, watching Miss Parker come to join them. "Mom, Dad, do you want to watch as well?"

"Why not?" The woman got up. "We can leave the two very important people and the unimportant one up here. I can't see things changing while we're gone."

Laughing, the group left the room, heading down to the cellar, and Sydney again glanced at the Pretender, to find the younger man watching him.

"What is it, Jarod?"

"Sydney, who are you talking to?" Helen asked.

"Oh, nobody important." The psychiatrist hid a smile as he saw the expression on Jarod's face. "But I thought it would be impolite to ignore him."

"Well, don't waste too much energy on something so unimportant."

"I won't." He looked back at the Pretender. "What's the matter, Jarod? You're only getting what you wanted."

"Am I allowed to change my mind about what I want?"

"Well, you were pretty insulting." Sydney glanced at Helen out of the corner of his eye. "She's got a strong sense of family loyalty."

"Considering what she called her brother, I think that statement might need to be reconsidered."

"There's a difference between her insulting him and you doing it."

"All right." Jarod rolled his eyes. "It's time for that hard-core begging, isn't it?"

"I think it's more than time," Sydney laughed. "If you don't start it soon, she might start putting forward suggestions for the rest of us for tomorrow's breakfast."

"Now that you mention it, Sydney..."

"Don't mention it, Helen. Not yet, anyway. That would be far too unkind."

The doctor put down her book and, for the first time since coming home from the shopping trip, looked at Jarod. Folding her arms and crossing her legs, Helen sat back against the sofa and put her head slightly on one side, a look of curiosity on her face.

"Do you have something you want to say to me?"
Part 13 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 13



Ashe, New York
"Mommy?"

At the sound of Debbie's voice, Helen looked down. "What's up, sweetheart?"

"I can't finish it." The girl handed the bowl to the doctor. "It was too big."

"Was it nice, though, baby?"

"Uh huh." Debbie smiled at Helen, resting her head against the woman's arm.

"Well, I think I know somebody who might like the rest. Actually, two people, but I'll be generous tonight." Helen grinned at Jarod. "How long would it take for you to finish this?"

"About thirty seconds." He seized the bowl with a laugh and scooped up the traces of candy and ice cream that it contained. "Or maybe less."

"A human vacuum cleaner."

The Pretender shook his head, laughing. "No, I'm more selective than that."

Helen snorted. "Not much." She looked at her watch and then at the girl who still rested against her, watching as she yawned. "I think it's bedtime, sweetie."

"For Jon, too?"

"Not just yet, baby. He hasn't been sick. But Jarod won't be staying up all that much longer than you." She waited until the girl hugged her father before picking her up and carrying her up the stairs.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Debbie?"

"We're leaving tomorrow, aren't we?"

"You might be, baby. We'll see what happens." Helen sat down on the bed, stroking the girl's hair as she rested against her. "I can't promise anything until I see how you are and how the weather is."

Debbie nodded before suddenly throwing her arms around the woman's neck. "I am going to see you again after we leave, aren't I?"

"Of course you are, Debbie. I promise you will, and I keep my promises." She reached down and kissed the girl's cheek. "I want to see you, too, you know, just as much as you want to see me."

"I'm glad you brought us here."

"I am, too, sweetheart."

# # #


Helen took the last plate out of the dishwasher and put it away, turning to see the psychiatrist in the doorway.

"Parker, Broots and I were just discussing the fact that..."

"...you need to get back to Blue Cove. I know."

"Will tomorrow morning be okay for you to drive us back?"

"I think we should wait until evening, or at least late afternoon. I'd rather not make a great fanfare of your arrival back home."

He leaned against the table. "I know Debbie probably asked this, but will we ever see you again, except on DSA footage?"

"Do you want to?" She smiled faintly. "A person who abducted you, drugged you, forced you to stay here against your will for weeks..."

"...kept us warm, well fed, doctored and entertained. Yes, I think we might."

"I promised Debbie she'd see me again. I'll do my best to extend that promise to the three of you."

"Can we contact you?"

Helen raised an eyebrow. "Do you really think it's wise, or has this vacation has made you forget how dangerous the Centre can be?"

"That could be true."

She laughed. "I'll give you all an emergency contact number where you'll at least be able to leave me a message. If my brother tracks it down, I'll change it and let you know."

"And you're really not going to let him know about you yet?"

"Like I said, Sydney, it would be a very useful card to pull out if they ever actually do manage to get hold of me."

# # #


Helen softly closed the cellar door and moved across to the doorway leading into the living room. Through the gap under the door, she could see a faint glow and glanced back over her shoulder, out of the window. Sunrise was still several hours away, and Helen knew the fire had been almost dead when she went downstairs. Quietly she eased open the door, eyes lighting on the dark head sitting on the sofa.

"You know," she commented, watching him jump, "I wouldn't expect a person still recovering from the measles to be up this early."

"Now I've got to recover from a heart attack too." Jarod placed the laptop on the sofa and turned to look at her. "What are you doing up?"

"That's the question I should be asking you." She nodded at the computer as she sat down in the chair opposite him. "What are you looking at?"

"Mainframe stuff. All the information your brother would love to get hold of and can't."

"How's your brother?"

"He was still asleep when I got up."

She glanced at her watch. "Jarod, it's only four o’clock. Couldn't you have satisfied your insatiable curiosity at a more seasonable hour?"

"So what are you doing up?" He drew up his legs and hugged them, resting his chin on his knees as he watched her.

"Working."

"Who's sick?"

Helen smiled. "I never said it was my legitimate work. After Debbie appeared in my lab, I thought it was better to do that kind of thing when she was asleep."

"You'll fall asleep at the wheel while you're driving them home."

She eyed him, her lips twitching in amusement. "Jarod, I'm a doctor. I'm used to working on little sleep."

"You're also a thief, so I suppose you're used to working at nights too."

"Exactly. These are almost normal hours for me." She crossed her legs, leaning back in the chair. "Besides, security at the Centre's more lax now than during the day."

"So why did you sneak into Mr. Parker's office in broad daylight?"

"He takes files home with him sometimes."

"He works at home?"

Helen snorted. "Hardly. No, I think he's nervous that Raines will try and sneak in to find out about his projects, so he takes the most important things home. But I know that you've been in his home at least once. Why didn't you notice that?"

"That wasn't what I was looking for then, assuming that you mean all his project information and not personal details."

"Yes, I did mean project information and that, of course, is the thing that I'm most interested in."

"Was."

"You're right. Was." She sighed in mock-frustration. "I don't know how I'm meant to fill my days now that there's nothing for me to steal from the Centre. I've been doing it for years."

"There's always the ongoing projects."

"It's no fun until they're nearly finished and ready to sell."

"So what will you do?"

"Probably concentrate on my legitimate work. Doctors are always needed. But I'll keep an eye on the Centre for any ramifications of the last two weeks."

"Do you expect any?"

"Some, but not very many. The small amount of information that the three of them can to tell the Triumvirate, added to the fact that Broots has no hope of getting access to the old mainframe, will mean that they'll want to focus even more on trying to get you back. After all, without either you or Jon, they can't get hold of a lot of the old simulation results."

"Was that always part of your plan?"

"Yes." She looked up from the last glowing embers to find him looking at her. "In the first few days of Eddie being here, we talked for hours about the way he felt about the results of his simulations. You, I'm sure, would have to feel the same. When I came up with the idea to crash the system, it also meant that none of the results of your work could ever be used to hurt people again."

"And…the DSAs?"

"Considering you're carrying around the only copies of them, I'd suggest that you find a good hiding place. They're even more valuable to the Triumvirate than you are because the camera never lies but you can."

"So it'll be back to the good old days again? Just the three of them against me?"

"Except that there's a few new ties of loyalty that might disrupt things a bit. Also, I guess you can add the fact that you don't need to get angry with Sydney, the way you did for the first couple of months, for seeming to hide bits of information about your life. If you want it, all you have to do is look it up."

"How will I get the mainframe codes for future months?"

Helen's gaze traveled back the fire as she smiled. "The list of codes will be delivered to your email address every week. All you've got to do is enter them on the first day - the system will give you two days' grace in case you have a lot on your plate - and then type in the correct one each day. Oh, you don't need to use it every day. Just be sure to use the relevant code on the correct day or you'll find yourself locked out as well."

Jarod stared at her for a moment before laughing. "And I suppose that was neatly organized by you as well?"

"Well, it was hardly going to happen on its own." She smiled. "Oh yes, and, just to stuff your box more, you'll also get the list of codes for the new mainframe. From what I've seen of the building process, they'll use the same system except that it will be my brother who'll be sending out the emails."

"Mommy?"

Helen turned to see Debbie halfway down the stairs, a blanket held tightly around her shoulders and the other hand rubbing her eyes. Jarod got off the sofa, going over to pick up the girl and bring her down to Helen.

"You shouldn't be up yet, baby." The doctor gently tucked the blanket around the girl, who leaned back against her. "It's too early."

"I woke up and you weren't there."

Helen gently began to stroke Debbie's hair. "You're going to have to get used to that, sweetie."

"I know." The girl's voice was a murmur as she nodded sleepily, closing her eyes.

Jarod waited in silence until the girl's head lay still against Helen's shoulder, her fingers wrapped loosely around the doctor's free hand, before he spoke.

"Did you ever have any of your other patients as attached to you as she is?"

"Not exactly. A few of them, particularly the motherless ones, tend to cling for the time that they're sick, but most don't continue."

"And you will see her again?"

"Of course." Helen gently kissed the top of the sleeping girl's head. "She’s not the only one who's become attached over the past week or so."

He smiled faintly. "I was always under the impression that doctors were meant to stop themselves from doing that."

"You mean like the way that Sydney stopped himself from getting attached to you?" She gave a soft laugh. "Of course, it's not advisable, but we are human and it's difficult not to, particularly in some cases." After a moment, Helen glanced up. "Tell me something, Jarod. The day before you officially came down with the measles, just how bad were you feeling?"

"Terrible." He grinned half-heartedly. "When you were telling Parker all the things you’d found out about the Centre, I went up to my room and tried to sleep for about two hours. It was weird. I kept dreaming that I'd gone downstairs, but every time I woke up, I was still lying on the bed."

"On? Not in?"

"I didn't want to look sick and I thought that, if anyone asked, I could just say that I was tired." He shrugged. "I also kept dreaming that I got up to get myself a drink but, every time I woke up, the glass on my table was empty. It eventually got so frustrating that I got up. When I came down, you were still talking to Parker, so I sat here and tried to take advantage of the fact that I had the mainframe code." Jarod laughed. "Would you be surprised if I said that it wasn't too productive?"

"No, not really." She paused. "By the time we went to get Parker I'd expect you to have had some fever as well."

He nodded. "I think that's why I slept for so long in the car, both going there and coming back. I'd been feeling hot all day, and there were a few times where I found myself either staring blankly at walls or nodding off, but I'd never been sick like that in my life before so I had no idea what it was. I thought I must have been over-tired, and planned to get a long night's sleep, but our kidnapping prevented it."

"Why on earth didn't you say something though?" She rolled her eyes. "I know for a fact that you were been a doctor on more than one occasion and you must know that if it feels like something’s wrong, particularly with someone as healthy as you usually are, there probably is."

"Well, I know now." He grinned. "Experience is a wonderful teacher. But I actually did think about mentioning it. I came upstairs to do so..."

"And I was watching Lyle's death throes, right?"

"Yes. After seeing your expression, I didn't want to bother you with some vague thing that I wasn't able to identify myself. And then you were stubborn about the whole kidnapping..."

"…so you felt like you had to intrude and knew that, if you'd admitted you weren't feeling too well, neither Sydney nor I would have let you come."

Grinning sheepishly, he nodded. "It might have been a good idea, huh?"

"Probably." She eyed him. "I did have options and it's just lucky we didn't leave it for another day or you wouldn't have been able to pick her up, let alone me."

"Shopping was interesting." He laughed. "I don't remember much about it, except Broots asking me about four times if I was okay."

"And did you say the same things to him that you said to me, when I was trying to convince you that you were sick?"

"I think it's likely, yes. The minute you said what Debbie had, I went into my room and pulled out my computer to hunt up signs and symptoms. It took me about half a minute to make an accurate diagnosis."

"And yet you still denied you were sick, you idiot!" She rolled her eyes, trying not to laugh. "If you'd mentioned it, I could have begun looking after you right away, instead of having to wait until you fell asleep on my shoulder."

"Do you have any idea how nice that felt?" He smiled. "Especially the first time. I had a headache to beat anything I'd had before - including the one I developed after the train explosion - and also I was hot and aching all over, but I was cold as well, and I couldn't think straight. If I ever had that opportunity again, I don't think I'd knock it back, even if it meant you'd find out I was sick."

"Speaking of that train explosion, do you have any idea where Ethan is?"

"No." He stared at his hands. "Parker said that, after he rescued her from Alex's bomb and she came back from saving her father, he'd disappeared. Apparently he left an unfinished note on the table." Jarod glanced at her. "Do you think he could be in the Centre? Could Raines have found him?"

"As I told Sydney, I did a room-by-room search of the Centre for Alex after his fall and didn't find him. I also didn't find Ethan there, but I did see Raines. I think that if your brother had been there, I'd have found him. If not, Angelo would have told me that he was there."

Slowly Jarod nodded before getting up to begin pacing in front of the fireplace. "I just wish I knew where he is - and if he's okay. If those voices get to him the way they did on the train, he could be in all sorts of trouble."

"Worrying about him won't help, Jarod. Ethan's a grown man. I'm sure he's quite able to take care of himself, and Angelo, at least, will know about him. When I'm at the Centre next, I'll ask him."

"You don't need to bother,” a new voice stated quietly. “I'm fine."

The two people jumped and turned to stare at the young man who was standing in the doorway before Jarod sprang over, hugging him.

"Where on earth have you been?"

"Around. Busy." He returned the man's embrace before going over to Helen. "I'm Ethan."

"I know who you are." She smiled. "I've even got your file upstairs. Did Catherine tell you about me?"

"She said I could trust you. That's all I need to know. He smiled awkwardly. "You don't have any food here, do you? I haven't eaten for a few days."

As Jarod hurried into the kitchen, the doctor eyed Ethan as he sank onto the sofa with a sigh.

"Yes, it looks like you haven't eaten."

Gently Helen moved Debbie so that the girl was lying against the arm of the chair and then stood up, going over to take the young man's wrist, timing his pulse and eyeing the shadows under his eyes.

"When did you last sleep, Ethan?"

"A few days ago." He stifled a yawn. "I was trying to get here before everyone left, and she said they were going tonight."

"You could have called." The doctor sat next to him. "We would have waited for a couple of days."

"You don't have a few days,” he retorted. “They'll send out the sweepers the day after tomorrow to find them."

"Only if they haven't heard," she chided gently. "And I would have had your sister or Sydney call them." Turning, she raised her voice slightly. "Jarod, make a warm drink. Your brother's freezing."

"I'll bet." Jarod came into the room with a plate, which he put in front of Ethan, turning back to the kitchen. "Just a sec and I'll make something for all of us."

"That sounds good." Helen got up and relit the fire as Ethan hungrily began to eat the food in front of him. The doctor eyed the man as the kindling ignited. "Did she tell you that Jarod was sick? Is that why you weren't here earlier?"

"Uh huh."

"Why didn't you call them, Ethan?" She sat on the coffee table opposite him. "Do you know how worried they've been about you?"

"How do you know?"

"I know from what Jarod just said and from a discussion I had with your sister the other night." She smiled and took the empty plate. "I'm going to go down and tell her you're here."

"It's too early."

"It's nearly seven. Besides, she'll want to see you as soon as possible." As Jarod came back into the room with a jug and several mugs, she rose, eyeing the older man. "Don't make your brother talk very much yet. You can hear it all when Emily and Miss Parker do, impatient or not, okay?"

He nodded, looking at his brother. "Don't worry, Helen. I'm not that selfish."

"I know." She put a gentle hand on Jarod's shoulder. "Actually, if you take Debbie back to bed, you can wake your sister at the same time."

"Good idea." He stood, picking up the little girl as Helen left the room, and looked at his brother. "I'll be right back. Don't run off on me."

Ethan grinned weakly. "I promise."

# # #


"Miss Parker?"

Helen gently shook the woman, who rolled over and looked up.

"Don't tell me I missed breakfast."

"No." She smiled. "But we've got another visitor for that meal, and I think it's one that you'll want to see."

The woman sat up and took the silk bathrobe that Helen gave her. "Clarify that mystery, please."

"Your brother's upstairs."

"Ethan?!"

"Well, I sure don't mean Lyle."

The woman threw back the blanket and stood up quickly but the doctor put out a restraining hand. "Just a sec, Miss Parker. Your brother's hungry, tired and he can't deal with being swamped. Go easy with him. You can talk to him later all you want, but be gentle for now."

Nodding, the woman pulled on the bathrobe and raced up the stairs, through the kitchen and into the living room. Sitting down on the sofa next to him, she hugged her brother.

"Where have you been?"

"Around." The young man dreamily watched Helen put more wood on the fire, before she went into the kitchen and brought out more mugs. A slight sound drew Ethan's attention to the staircase as Jarod and Emily came into the room. With a weary sigh, he took the mug that the doctor put in his hands before looking up as Jarod introduced his sister.

"I don't know if Catherine told you about her. This is Emily. She's your half-sister and my full one."

Smiling faintly, Ethan watched as the two people sat down and Helen returned to her armchair.

"I think we'll restrict questions to just a few. Your brother needs a few solid hours' sleep, and he'll talk better afterwards anyway."

Jarod nodded before looking at Ethan. "Why did you leave?"

"Raines turned up as I was writing that note and I only just got away. I was going to call to let you know I was okay but I thought he might still have been there."

"He wouldn't have been for long," Miss Parker commented drily. "Where did you go after that?"

"Philadelphia." He looked at Emily. "I wanted to see you, but you'd already left."

"And after that?"

"I've been trying to find Jarod, but every time I'd get somewhere, he'd already have left." Ethan looked up at his brother. "I was in Louisiana when she told me you were sick. I wanted to come right away, but I had to wait until I wouldn't get it from you and I also had to get here."

"How did you get here?"

"Train and walked." He stifled another yawn and Helen got up, gently touching Ethan on the arm. At once he rose from his seat.

"That's enough for now." She looked at Miss Parker. "I'll put him into your bed. You won't need it again."

She took the mug and gently squeezed his hand. "Sleep well, Ethan."

He smiled before letting Helen guide him out of the room and down the stairs into the cellar.

"You won't be scared of the dark?"

"Not considering I've been walking through the night." Ethan smiled faintly, following her into the bedroom. "It seemed safer somehow."

"Well, you're safe here too, Ethan." She bent down to take off his shoes as he sat wearily on the bed. "Nobody will find you here and you can stay here for as long you want."

He looked up at her and the trust in his eyes was like that of a child. "She told me that as well." Shyly he reached out for her hand. "Will you stay with me now?"

"If you want me to." She sat down on the bed next to him, putting an arm around his shoulders, and he rested against her.

"Helen?"

"What is it?"

"Do you believe in getting messages from the dead?"

She smiled. "I believe that you hear your mother's voice, Ethan, if that's what you want to know."

"But from other people?"

"Like who?"

He looked up, examining her with his eyes. "On the way here, she kept telling me about a person called Eddie. She said you'd know who he was."

Helen froze, feeling the blood drain away from her face, and she had to swallow hard before she could speak. "And… what did she say?"

"She said he loved you, too."

She nodded, speaking softly. "I know he did." Recovering her composure, Helen started to gently stroke his hair. "Don't worry about it, Ethan. You can tell me about it later if you want to. Just try to sleep for now."

Nodding, he closed his eyes and relaxed against her, a small smile on his face.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"They're still missing?"

"Yes, sir." The sweeper stood, ill at ease, in front of the desk. "Should I instigate a search, or...?"

"No." The man examined the tabletop for a moment before looking up. "If they're not back at work tomorrow morning, then I'll order teams out, but only after none of them sign in tomorrow at their usual time."

The sweeper nodded and left the room before the man in the corner looked up.

"And if they're not back, what then?"

"Then I'll assume that they're not only being held by Jarod but also helping him, as I've suspected them of doing for some time now." He leaned forward. "Personally, I’ve got a feeling that they will be back at work tomorrow. When they are, I want you to lead a T-Board."

"Tomorrow?"

"No, in a few days. First we need to finish with Mr. Parker and that'd going to take until at least the day after tomorrow. We'll also need to debrief them a little about the mainframe."

"Broots may be able to get access to the old one."

The red-haired man shrugged. "I doubt it, but it's possible." He looked up. "During the T-Board, we will use every possible method to ensure that we hear every last detail." He met the man's eye. "Am I understood?"

"Completely." His associate stood. "I'll go and find out what supplies we've got for that purpose, down in the laboratory."

"Yes," responded his boss in firm tones. "You do that."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"He can stay here for as long as he likes. You all know where he'll be and how to get in touch with him here. He's going to need several days to fully recover from the exhaustion anyway and he'll do that more easily if he knows that none of you are worrying about him."

Jarod nodded slowly. "Are you sure you don't mind?"

"Not at all. It'll be nice to have someone around the place again." Helen turned to Miss Parker. "I know you'd like to stay, now he's here, but we can't afford for you to. Unless all of you turn up at work tomorrow, we're going to have sweepers all over the place."

"Your brother's a pain in the neck."

Helen grinned. "I know, I know. Family failing."

"So what now?"

Helen turned to Emily as she spoke. "I’d suggest your family stay here tonight while I drive Miss Parker, Sydney, Broots and Debbie back to Blue Cove. We'll keep an eye on the Centre for few days, just to make sure everything's all right, but you don't have to be here for it if your parents want to get going, as I think they do."

She caught Major Charles' eye and watched him nod. "So you don't mind if Ethan stays here?"

"He seems to want to, and they won't find him here, at least not without being able to get access to my details on the old mainframe." She smiled. "I never thought that this would be so useful."

"It certainly has been." Jarod grinned briefly before becoming serious. "And you'll let us know how he's going?"

"Of course I will." She smiled. "You're his family. I wouldn't dream of not doing it."

"You've become a part of our family too, Helen." Margaret spoke quietly from the other side of the room. "With everything you've done and are doing for us, I think you've definitely earned honorary membership of it."

Helen looked at the girl who was pressed against her, both arms around her waist, and smiled. "With an adoptive daughter, an adoptive family and a genuine older brother, I seem to be doing very well for myself."

"Can you cope with him?" Sydney looked up. "I know it sounds like a somewhat strange question, but if anything happens..."

"Well, he's better here than on his own and he seems to trust me so it's not a bad start. I can't do anything but see how he goes, and I can always call someone for help. You're within a few hours' drive, as is his sister."

"So you'll come back here after taking them home, see us off and then...?"

"Like I said, Jarod, keep an eye on the Centre. I'll eavesdrop on the orders my brother gives today, because that's most likely to give us ideas for what's coming next. If I think it’s necessary, I'll rush back to Blue Cove, to save you all from the T-Board's clutches." She laughed. "I can leave Ethan for a day or two on his own and bring people here to keep them safe."

"Would they be safe here?"

"Well, I'm hardly going to drive back here if I'm being tailed by a big black sedan, am I?" She sent a scornful look in Jarod's direction. "Do you see any sweepers hovering around?"

"I haven't been outside for a bit..."

"Gee, I wonder why!" Helen rolled her eyes and felt Debbie start to giggle. "Might it possibly have to do with the fact that you've been sick?"

"Oh, come on. Debbie was out of the house yesterday and she's been sick."

"She wasn't horrible to me. You didn't deserve to have the nice treat of coming shopping." Helen looked down to where Jonathon leaned against her other shoulder, grinning. "Nor do you deserve any candy, several pieces of which have mysteriously vanished from a certain person's stash, apparently."

"And are you accusing me of stealing it?"

"Well, now that you mention it..."

# # #


Ethan yawned, rolling over to see the door open and his sister approach the bed. Miss Parker sat down beside him and took his hand.

"How do you feel?"

"Better, sort of."

"Helen said it might take a couple of days before you're back to normal."

"What's normal?" He grinned feebly. "You're leaving tonight, right?"

"We have to, Ethan. If we don't..."

"I know. They'll send out the hounds. And the others?"

"Jarod and his family will probably leave after Helen gets back from Blue Cove."

"And I should stay here?"

"Nobody's forcing you if you don't want to, but you can't come with me to Blue Cove. It's too dangerous." She gently stroked his hair. "Not that I wouldn't love to have you."

"I'd like to visit you, too, but it's not safe, for either of us."

She nodded. "I'll call you a lot and you can always call me."

"That'd be nice." He yawned again and she smiled.

"Try and get some more sleep, Ethan. I'll come and see you before we leave."

Smiling faintly, he closed his eyes, feeling as she stood and bent down to give him a kiss, before he fell asleep.

# # #


"Are we ready?" Helen glanced back at the three people in the rear seat and then at the man sitting beside her.

"I think so. It didn't exactly take any of us long to pack."

Smiling at Sydney's tones, Helen put the car into gear and turned onto the street.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, Debbie?"

"When will you be in Blue Cove again?"

Helen glanced in the rearview mirror. "I'm not really sure, sweetheart."

"But you'll come and see me when you do, right?"

"Of course, baby. You've become my main reason for being there."

Nodding, Debbie leaned back against the arm that her father had put around her shoulders. For several moments, she stared out at the passing scenery before closing her eyes. Broots looked up in mock-horror.

"Helen, you didn't!"

Laughing softly, the woman shook her head. "No, I thought you'd all feel like enjoying the trip this time. Besides, it might look a bit obvious if I had to carry you into your houses."

Sydney glanced over from the passenger seat. "Will you drop me home or...?"

"I can do that, or leave you at Broots' house to pick up your car." Helen looked at the woman in the rearview mirror. "Unless, of course, Miss Parker had it towed to the Centre to be dusted for fingerprints or something."

Smiling, the woman shook her head. "No, that idea never occurred to me."

Laughing, Helen opened the glove box of the car, extracting a key ring and giving it to Sydney, before, as he pocketed it, looking back at Miss Parker. "And can you cope in the hunt without your dear twin brother?"

"Hmm, it might be a struggle, but I think we'll all survive."

"Well, if not, I'm sure you could take a little of your disappointed frustration out on Cox. Being the Triumvirate's whipping boy, as well as that of Mr. Parker and also Raines, it should be a situation he's getting used to by now."

"So what do you think your brother will do?"

Helen laughed and glanced at Sydney. "You love saying that, don't you?"

"Trust me, I'm not going to say it to him!"

"I hope not." Helen remained quiet for a moment as she thought. "I think it's most likely that you'll get a short and not-at-all-informative briefing of what's happened over the last few weeks and then be left to it." She glanced at Sydney. "You might get called in for some information about the more important projects that Jarod was working on before his escape, but that is five years ago now, so I think you'd be excused if you couldn't really remember."

"And what about us?"

"Well, I think Broots will be sat down and begged to find some way back into the old mainframe. The construction of the new one's going very slowly and they desperately want to get hold of that information - particularly about me." She laughed softly. "After that, he'll probably be able to join Sydney on the pursuit again."

"And me?"

Helen grinned. "You're so valuable to them, Miss Parker. You've worked in Corporate, as head of Security, as a cleaner - I think they'll pump you for information for quite a while. The amount you tell them is up to you."

"I'm more worried about what they'll pump me full of to make sure I tell the truth."

"You mean the kind of thing they used on your father? It won't have any affect on you - not now, at least."

"And why not?" Miss Parker eyed Helen sharply and the doctor grinned.

"Remember how I knew about Ammon?"

"Yes, but I don't see what that..."

"Just let me explain, okay?"

Sydney half-smiled. "Go ahead, Helen."

"Thank you." The woman smiled before concentrating on the road. "After we both got back from kidnapping you, Jarod found me asleep in my room with my laptop under my hands. In addition to checking on Lyle's office, as I told him, I'd also examined the contents of the Centre's dispensary. The files that originally told me about Ammon also revealed similar things about the other drugs. The other night, while you were playing Scrabble and Monopoly - "

"And you were supposed to be looking after dinner," interposed Broots.

"I left dinner to look after of itself and created an antidote that blocks every one of drugs that they might use to 'persuade' you to tell the truth about everything that happened over the past weeks. As all of the drugs were related by their chemical compositions, only one antidote was needed for them all."

The psychiatrist eyed her. "I'm starting to think that Jarod's caution when you play with chemicals is well founded."

"Oh, come on, Sydney. I told you, my drugs don't leave side effects. All it means is that if they use any of the drugs that they have in stock on you, the effect will be one of heavy sedation - that's it."

"So we've been given this antidote already?"

"Yes. The three of you received it in your drinks last night. Only one of you had a reaction of any sort to it." She eyed Miss Parker in the rearview mirror. "That was why I wasn't overly concerned when you said that you weren't feeling too well. It was just the affect of the antidote and, as you know, that wore off pretty quickly."

"Do you expect them to use the drugs or not?"

"If they use them on anyone, I'd expect it to be Miss Parker. I think they'll feel that any information she can tell them will be more valuable than anything that either of you might know." She looked at Broots in the rearview mirror. "I'll keep an eye on the place and, if anything happens, I'll make sure Debbie's safe. If necessary, I'll take her back to Ashe again."

"That'd be good." Broots looked at the girl who was still asleep before glancing at Helen again. "I know I asked you this before, but you didn't give her anything, did you?"

"No, Broots." Helen looked sad. "She didn't sleep much last night. I think she was pretty sure that you'd be leaving today and that thought kept her awake for some time after I took her up to bed. It also woke her up early."

"She's going to miss you."

Helen nodded, her expression of sadness deepening. "I'm going to miss her too."

# # #


Helen quietly shut and locked the kitchen door behind her before putting her bag on the hook and taking off her jacket. She quickly walked through the living room, where the fire was a mass of glowing embers, and went upstairs. A rapid glance into the first bedroom showed Emily asleep in bed and, a small smile on her face, Helen passed the second door without opening it. If her friend was still there, she had no doubt that Jarod would be as well, and that their parents were in their room downstairs. Helen was unable to repress a small sigh as she came into her room and saw the empty bed that had earlier contained the little girl she had started to love as if she were her real daughter. Shaking her head to remove that thought, Helen changed and quickly got between the sheets.

The door opened softly twenty minutes later and the figure slipped across the floor to stop beside the bed. He stood, looking at the woman, before putting out a hand and gently shaking her.

"Helen?"

"Eddie?" The name was murmured and his expression became sad when he saw the small smile on her face.

"No, Helen. It's me. Jarod."

She opened her eyes, looking up. "What's wrong?" Pulling herself into an upright position, Helen immediately reached out a hand for his forehead. "What is it, Jarod? Are you all right?"

"I'm fine." He sat down on the bed. "I just wanted to check that you were okay."

"Why wouldn't I be?" She handed him the blanket from the end of the bed. "Wrap that around yourself or you'll freeze."

"It's a long drive back from Blue Cove."

"You got out of bed on a freezing cold night to tell me that?"

Laughing, he flung the blanket around his shoulders. "No, I think that must be something you're already well aware of. Actually, I wanted to make sure that it all went okay."

"If it didn't, do you really think I'd be here, sleeping or trying to?" She looked up at him curiously. "What did you imagine might happen?"

"I thought maybe the Triumvirate might have ordered their houses to be watched, and it might have meant they saw you or your car."

"It's unlikely that they would have been able to. Besides, we stopped at my house in New Jersey - I'm sure you remember that one - and changed cars there. The old one will be found, abandoned, tomorrow morning, just in case."

He looked at her admiringly. "You really thought that through, didn't you?"

"You'd be amazed, the lengths I've gone to, to avoid Centre detection. That's the eighth car that I've 'lost'."

"Eight?" He leaned back, looking at her in astonishment. "How on earth have you paid for them all?"

"What kind of a stupid question is that? Do you think you're the only person ever to steal from the Centre or something?"

"You did?"

"Uh huh." She smiled. "Eddie did, too. We got a very good system going between us."

He put a hand on hers. "Were you dreaming about him?"

"What makes you think I'd do something like that?"

"The first thing you said to me when I walked in."

"Darn." She glared down at the bed before sheepishly looking up. "I should really try to break out of that habit."

"If you loved him that much, why didn't you marry him?"

"I told you, Jarod. He didn't love me."

"Are you so sure?"

"Absolutely." She met his eyes. "I could remember the way Margaret spoke about your dad and although I could see similarities between how she felt and the way I did, I could see that he didn't feel the same way." She smiled faintly. "It took a while before Eddie learned to hide his emotions." Helen paused. "Actually, that isn't strictly true. He could cover up things like fear or stress far too well, but he had no chance if he felt, say, really happy or excited. Emotions like that were too new or, if not completely new, then he was getting a chance to experience them when he hadn't done so for a long time."

Jarod nodded slowly. "Are you still in love with him?"

"I don't think so."

"You don't know?"

She smiled faintly. "I thought I wasn't anymore, that I'd got over the feelings, but you - the things you say or what you do - remind me a lot of what he was like."

"You're not in love with me, are you?"

"No, Jarod." Helen shook her head definitively. "But having another person of his intelligence but also his naiveté staying in the same room - it brings back a lot of memories that I thought were buried."

He smiled faintly. "How did you get over it last time?"

"I saw him with his wife. He and Marina loved each other so much..." Helen trailed off, one tear glistening in her eye for a moment before she blinked it away. "I should take you over there one day. I'm sure she'd love to hear everything you could tell her about him. And his kids probably would too."
Part 14 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 14



Ashe, New York
"Ethan?"

Helen gently shook the young man and watched as he rolled over, looking up at her. "I'm sorry to wake you but I want you to get into the habit of eating regularly."

"Do I have to get up?"

"Not if you don't want to, but it's hard to drink lying down."

He smiled, pulling himself into a sitting position as Helen tucked pillows in behind his back. She handed him a mug and sat down on the bed beside him.

"Are the others still here?"

"For the moment, yes, although they're planning to leave soon."

"And will you stay here or do you have to go to Delaware?"

"Not yet." She smiled. "We've got a couple of days' grace before they bring your sister, Broots or Sydney in for questioning. The head of the Triumvirate wants to find out what they can do before that happens, especially regarding the mainframe."

"He's your brother, right?"

"Yes." Helen laughed softly. "I'm glad I knew that before, though, or it would have been an awful shock if you'd just told me for the first time now."

"I wouldn't have said anything if you didn't already know."

The doctor leaned back and watched the young man begin to eat breakfast. "Just how much did Catherine tell you about me?"

"Enough."

"That doesn't answer my question, Ethan."

He smiled. "She told me about when you were planning to rescue Jarod and also that you were looking after him while he was sick. She said that my sister trusted you and that I should as well."

"So, despite being the little sister of the head of the Triumvirate, you're still going to trust me?"

"Somehow I don't think that was your choice."

She laughed. "No, that's true." The doctor took away the empty plate and gently eased the extra pillows out from being the man's back. "I'm sure you won't mind if I say that I want you to sleep some more."

"Probably not." He yawned. "Will you be upstairs later?"

"If not, then I'll be down here putting washing on or in my lab. Don't just come in, though. Knock first or you might find yourself in a heap on the floor."

Ethan smiled sleepily. "I don't know if I'd complain about that."

"You might not but I would and I'd hate to think what your brother would say. He's such a bully sometimes."

# # #


Blue Cove, Delaware
"So how did the day go?"

Broots laughed. "Very peacefully and according to your plan. We received a not-at-all informative briefing about the mainframe and I've spent all day trying to get back into it – without success, of course – while Sydney was trying to remember some of Jarod's old SIM results and Miss Parker was trying to put together a list of the places that we ended up while hunting for him."

"Well, after eavesdropping on my brother's discussions all day I can tell you that, considering your reactions from 1998, they've got no intention to bring you in front of T-Board. They don't feel that it will be any use."

"Thank goodness for that. It seems your brother does have some sense after all."

Helen grinned. "I did, however, take a look at the room reservations, and it seems as though the Triumvirate has plans for a T-Board the day after tomorrow."

"Should I warn them?"

"It might be nice. You can tell them that I'll keep a very firm eye on the way things are going."

He nodded, leaning back in his chair and looking at the computer screen. "How's Ethan?"

"He's fine. He spent most of today in bed, like yesterday, but I'm expecting to see him up soon. And Debbie?"

"Quiet. I think she was missing you."

"That makes two of us."

"You were missing you?" He grinned. "I can see that being rather difficult."

"Oh, stop being facetious." She laughed. "You know what I mean."

"Yes, I do." He smiled. "I'll tell her you said hello."

"Do that. I'll see her when I'm next in Blue Cove."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen closed the laptop and went over to stare blankly out of the window into the garden, where the snow was beginning to melt.

"Helen?"

"Hi, Ethan." She turned with a smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better." He sat down in front of the fire. "Were you talking to my sister?"

"No. Broots." She returned to her seat on the sofa. "He was telling me about their first day back at work. It seems to have been easy."

"And when will you go back to Blue Cove?"

"Tomorrow night." She stared into the flames. "That will give me time to set it all up before the T-Board, just in case they do anything."

"How long will you be gone?"

"I'm not sure. Minimum of one day, but it could be longer." Helen looked up at him. "Do you mind staying here on your own or do you want to come with me and find somewhere to stay during that time?"

"She suggested I stay."

Helen's brow furrowed slightly. "Why? What else did she say would happen?"

"Nothing. She just told me to stay here and that you’d call to let me know how things were going."

Nodding, she smiled. "I'd certainly do that. The only circumstance when I might fail to contact you was if they caught me."

"What should I do if that happens?"

"Get in touch with your brother." She sat back. "Actually, I might get in touch with him now. We can start planning."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"I'm sure you understand the need for this, doctor."

"Of course."

Sydney resettled himself in his chair, concealing his amusement as he watched the needle being prepared. Feeling it enter his hand, he relaxed as the contents were injected. Gradually, his mind began to fog as chemical reactions changed the drug to a sedative and made his limbs suddenly feel like ton weights. Sydney's eyelids slowly became too heavy to keep open and he let them fall as his head sank forward. As if from a great distance he could hear a muffled, confused mass of voices and Sydney only had time for a brief reflection of gratitude for Helen's foresight before he was unconscious.

"Get a medical cart down here, immediately."

The head of the Triumvirate moved over and shook the man, unable to rouse him. A few minutes later, the door of the interrogation room opened and a dark-haired woman came in, pushing a medical trolley.

"You requested assistance, sir?"

"Find out what's wrong with him."

The man folded his arms, watching as the doctor began a rapid but thorough examination. Picking up the vial on the table, she examined it before turning to the man.

"According to the recent tests of this drug, a small number of people respond to it in this manner. There's nothing I can do except order him up to the infirmary and let him sleep it off there."

"And how long with that take?"

The doctor looked at the notes on the table, taking in the amount that had been injected. "He'll be unconscious for about four hours, but the effects will continue for the rest of today, and even part of tomorrow. The doctor will be drowsy, disoriented and have difficulty recalling things. I'd doubt, personally, if his memory will be good enough to answer your questions for several days."

"Fine. If there's nothing to be done, that's all there is to it," the man snapped, and turned away as the woman waved stretcher-bearers into the room.

# # #


"Sydney?"

Through a drugged mind, the man could hear the voice faintly speaking his name and something about it seemed to be familiar. Slowly the clouds of fog dissipated enough for him to be able to open his eyes. A dark-haired figure stood next to the bed, but his vision was too blurred to make out the woman's other features.

"It's all right, Sydney. Just relax. Everything's fine."

Blinking several times, he was finally able to focus on her face, and he gazed drowsily up into her eyes for a few moments until his mind achieved recognition.

"H… Helen?" His voice was weak but audible and she smiled.

"Very good, Sydney. I didn't know if you'd recognize me with brown hair."

"What… are you…?"

"The infirmary got an urgent call from the Triumvirate to say that someone they were questioning had had an unexpected reaction to a drugs they were using, so I took it upon myself to respond." She put a hand on his. "Get some rest and, in a few hours, I'll take you home."

"P… Parker?"
"I'm fully expecting a call about her soon. I heard from Broots as soon as you two were take down to the T-Board and that's how I'm here." She watched as he had to blink erratically in order to concentrate and smiled. "Sleep now, Sydney. Don't worry. You're quite safe and I'll take care of you."

Nodding slightly, he closed his eyes and relaxed. Helen gently settled the blanket closely around him before turning away from the bed.

# # #


"And who's going to stop me from seeing him?"

Hearing the argument on the other side of the door, Helen walked out among the group of nurses who were trying to keep the woman away from the room.

"What's going on here?" she demanded.

At the tones, Miss Parker's eyes widened, but she saw a surreptitious wink that the other woman gave her and resumed the aggressive haranguing that she had been engaged in.

"Your stupid staff won't even let me in to see him, and if you think a few years at medical school is enough to keep me..."

"I would be interested," Helen interrupted coldly, "to know how you're aware that he's down here." She waved away the group of nurses as the other woman responded angrily until they were out of hearing. Then, smiling, Helen lowered her voice.

"Sydney's fine. He's asleep right now but you can see him if you want to."

"Are you insane?" The woman stared as the doctor closed the door behind them. "I can't believe you'd come here!"

"Miss Parker, I'm here regularly. Besides, nobody can possibly recognize me with this." Tossing a long, brown curl over her shoulder, Helen laughed.

"A wig?"

"Well, I sure didn't grow it overnight." Stepping over to the bed, Helen picked up Sydney's wrist and timed his pulse. "As I thought it would be, the drug was converted into a strong sedative. He's been asleep for almost six hours, but he should wake again soon and then we'll take him home."

"How did you know they'd do it?"

"I didn't, but I can make very good guesses." She looked up. "And I guess he didn't use anything on you."

"Thankfully, your brother seems to have decided that one unexpected reaction to it was enough."

Helen rolled her eyes, and then looked down smilingly as the man slowly awoke, gazing drowsily up at her.

"Hello, Sydney. Welcome back to the world."

"Did I… Is Parker… here?"

"Yes, she is." She glanced over at the other woman, who moved to the bedside.

"Hi, Syd. I thought I'd come down and see how you were."

"Are you… okay?"

"Fine. I had a few hours of questioning, but they didn't give me anything. I've got a second session to look forward to tomorrow, but I'm free for the rest of the day."

He nodded slowly and was about to close his eyes when Helen spoke again.

"Sydney, I've arranged a vehicle to take you home in. The bed will go into it, so all you have to do is just lie there and let us take care of everything, okay?"

Nodding again, he closed his eyes and relaxed, feeling the brakes on the wheels released as the trolley begin to be wheeled down the hall. As the elevator doors opened, Miss Parker glanced up to see Broots leaning against the rear wall of the lift and she stared at him.

"How on earth…?"

"I got a call from the infirmary." He slyly grinned at Helen. "I thought I'd come and see if I could be of any help." Looking at Sydney as the elevator began to ascend, Broots’ face took on a worried expression. "Is he okay?"

"Fine. He'll be drowsy for the rest of today but he'll soon be back to normal, and I got him off work for a few days, too." She lowered her voice. "And Debbie got taken somewhere safe after school, just in case."

"Thanks." Broots put a hand on the trolley to help direct it along the corridor and through the back doors to where the ambulance was waiting. The blond driver of the vehicle helped her red-haired assistant to load the bed into the back and it was all that Broots and Miss Parker could do to keep from laughing until they were all safely behind closed doors.

"Jarod, I can't believe you'd do something like this!"

With a shrug, the man took off the red wig he was wearing and ran a hand through his hair as the woman opposite did the same with her brown locks.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."

"And it all worked out." Helen bent over the bed as Sydney's eyes slowly opened and she smiled. "It's okay, Sydney. Everything's fine."

Broots glanced back from his seat beside the driver who, when they’d passed the security check, removed her blond wig. "I don't suppose Debbie could be with the 'driver's' parents, could she?"

"Hmm, maybe. And possibly the other ambulance officer's parents as well." The doctor smiled. "I called them and asked them to pick her up."

"So what are you all doing in Blue Cove anyway?"

"Keeping an eye on my brother and his co-workers. I've actually been inside the Centre since last night, setting up my 'position' as doctor in the infirmary." Helen laughed. "It would have been a lot harder if the mainframe was still active but, as it is, even Jarod could get a job there now." She glanced at him sternly. "Not that I'm suggesting you try it."

The vehicle pulled up in front of the house and Helen opened the doors, taking an end of the bed to help Jarod get it out. Wheeling it into the house, the two people rolled it into the bedroom and moved the sleeping man over on to the bed before taking the gurney back to the ambulance. As the two 'officers' got in, Helen slipped a note into Jarod's hand.

"That's to tell your parents that Broots and I will be there in about four hours or so to bring Debbie back to Blue Cove."

"No problem." He waved as Emily backed the ambulance down the drive and drove away. Smiling, Helen went back inside.

"Just where is Debbie?" Broots demanded as soon as she appeared.

"Charles and Margaret took her to New Jersey, where we swapped cars when I brought you back here from New York. We'll go and get her in a few hours while Miss Parker keeps an eye on Sydney."

"He's okay, isn't he?"

"Oh, yes. I told my brother that his memory would be affected by it for a few days and it would be quite plausible if it were to last for longer. That means, tragically, that they probably won't be able to ask him anything else about the projects they want details of, or your mysterious kidnapping. In reality, though, at most he'll have a few co-ordination problems for the rest of the day, but he can stay in bed so that won't be a problem. Otherwise he'll be fine."

"And whose idea was all that?"

"I told Jarod that I was going in to the Centre when they hauled you up in front of the T-Board and he suggested the rest."

"So why the hair?"

"Just to make things a little less obvious. I didn't feel like being thrown in a tiny cell, never to see the light of day again, and neither, you may be amazed to learn, did Jarod or Em, so we thought that would be best."

"And if they had used it on me?"

"We would have used the same method to bring you back here as well. Actually, that's what we'd planned for. I didn't expect my brother to be so nice as to refrain from using something on you."

"Well, after watching Sydney collapse, I thought it might be better to let a few little things slip, just to prevent it. But we'll see what happens tomorrow."

"I had every intention of appearing at 'work' tomorrow as well so if it does happen you can be confident that everything will be fine."

# # #


The man stretched slightly and opened his eyes, looking around the room before pulling himself up in bed.

"That looks like a good sign," Miss Parker smiled from the doorway. "How do you feel?"

"Pretty good." Sydney stifled a yawn. "Probably not up to doing anything athletic, but otherwise not bad."

"Ready for something to eat?"

"That depends what it is." He looked up. "I'm not all that hungry."

"Helen left some soup that she suggested you eat before she and Broots went to pick up Debbie."

"That sounds nice." Sydney smiled as he saw himself being scrutinized. "Parker, I'm alright."

"Let's just say that I didn't really like seeing you slump in the chair like that."

"You weren't expecting it?"

"Despite that, it wasn't fun."

"I think our beloved boss thought it was even less fun." Sydney sat back against the pillows that she put behind him. "What did they do to you, anything?"

"They shot a few questions in my direction, and I answered a couple of them, but that was all." She half-smiled. "I wouldn't be too surprised if they recover from the shock of your turn to expose me to a similar thing tomorrow."

"Well, you know what will happen." He put a hand on hers. "Don't get too worried about it, Parker. It's not that bad."

"Says the expert," she responded teasingly, standing up. "How about that soup?"

# # #


Falk, New Jersey
"Mommy!"

The girl threw herself at the woman as Helen appeared in the doorway of the house, hugging her vigorously. Broots pretended to look offended.

"Don't I get a welcome, too, Debbie?"

"I saw you this morning," she responded, giggling. "I haven't seen Mommy for days!"

"At least four anyway," Helen laughed. "But I'll still be in Blue Cove for at least the next day or two and I promise to see you minimum of once then, okay?"

"Will I be in Blue Cove too, or just you?"

"Now that's an idea." The doctor laughed, looking at Broots. "We can leave her here and go back by ourselves."

"I thought you were devious, not cruel," Jarod commented as he walked into the room.

"I don't think you've been able to make up your mind on that point, have you?"

"Well, maybe not." He grinned. "How's Sydney?"

"He was still asleep when we left, but I'd expect him to be awake soon."

"And have you written a report to be handed in to the boss tomorrow?"

"Better." She sat down on the sofa and Debbie squeezed into the tiny space between Helen and Broots. "I got a call from him about twenty minutes before we all came out to you, asking me to come to his office in the morning and present it to him in person."

"You're not going to?" Jarod asked in horror.

"How can I get out of it?" She looked up at him. "What possible excuse could I give him? The only way would be if they questioned and drugged Miss Parker earlier than the time he gave me, and I can't see that happening. In fact, as I know what time she has to turn up at the T-Board room, I know it won't happen."

"Call in sick."

"No can do. They're going to question Miss Parker tomorrow morning, no matter what, and I have to be there for that. No, I'll just have to go and take all possible necessary precautions."

"Such as?"

Helen reached into her pocket and took out a tiny glass vial, smiling. "Do you remember a certain strong sleeping gas I mentioned?"

"The one you were going to use on Miss Parker, yes. Is that it?"

"Yes."

"And how would you administer it?"

"If I break the seal, the gas will be released and it's both strong and concentrated enough to affect everyone in an office the size of my brother's in something less than one minute."

"Except you, of course."

"Well, it wouldn't be a lot of good if it affected me, too, would it?"

"And what will you do?"

"I'll wait and see when it happens. In the best possible circumstance, I'd prefer it if I didn't have to use it, but, like I said, we'll see."

# # #


Blue Cove, Delaware
"Mommy, are you going to stay at our house tonight?"

Helen looked down with a loving smile. "No, baby, I'm going to sleep at Sydney's house, just in case he needs anything."

"Will I get to see you tomorrow?"

"Definitely. I'll come and visit in the evening. It may not be for very long but I'll be there, okay?"

"Uh huh." The girl continued to read her book, leaning against the woman's arm, as Broots drove.

"Have you talked to Ethan?" the man asked.

"I called him just before we left to let him know I wouldn't be back tonight."

The technician pulled the car up into the driveway and turned in his seat. "I'll call you whenever things start happening tomorrow, like they did today."

She nodded. "If I don't answer, call Jarod. There'll be something wrong."

He looked serious. "Are you expecting it?"

"Not at all, but you never know."

"Particularly not around a person as unpredictable as your brother."

"Thanks. It's always nice to get such a great endorsement for family."

Helen got out of the car and waved to Debbie as Broots drove off, before letting herself quietly into the house.

"How's he doing?"

The woman on the sofa jumped and turned quickly. "Do you mind?"

"That vacation ruined your normal awareness, Miss Parker." Helen sat down with a laugh. "And you can't even blame it on the measles."

"I'll blame it on that drug you gave me."

"Go ahead." The doctor grinned. "The drug wasn't responsible, of course, but I'm sure it won't mind being blamed."

Miss Parker smiled briefly before becoming more serious. "What do you think is going to happen tomorrow?"

Helen reached into her bag and took out a folder bearing the Centre logo. "I've got a meeting with my brother at eight to give him this. I'm recommending he hold off on any more such 'treatments', considering just how busy the infirmary is at the moment."

"Are they really?"

"Yes. Yesterday, just after Sydney was given that drug, a large group was bought up from one of the research labs. Apparently they were trying to finish a number of tests within a given deadline and hurried things too much. A few people received very severe burns."

"Well," Miss Parker commented snidely. "They should be used to treating those."

"These were all innocent women, Miss Parker, who were offered large amounts of money to participate. Instead some of them may not be able to work and at least one poor soul might never walk again."

The other woman was silent for a moment before speaking. "And after you’ve said all that to your brother?"

"I'll go back to the infirmary and watch your T-Board. If it's all okay, I'll head off to Ashe and your brother."

"How is he?"

"You didn't call him?" Helen raised an eyebrow. "I thought you would have."
"I thought about it, but I didn't want to wake him if he was asleep."

"Well, I called him before Broots and I left Falk and he was fine then." Helen rose to her feet. "I'm going to see how Sydney is."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"How is the doctor this morning?"

"When I called on him at home, on the way to work, he was recovering fairly well from the affects of the drug."

"Explain what you mean by 'fairly well'." The man looked up, his eyes glinting as they focused on the brunette who stood in front of his desk.

"His co-ordination and alertness is better than I had expected but his recollection is poor. He had no memory of yesterday at all, beyond entering the interrogation room."

"Was that so unexpected, Doctor?"

"I would certainly have expected him to remember being at home later, after the drug had worn off. Instead I owe all knowledge of what occurred that evening to Miss Parker, who, I understand, spent the night there."

Helen watched her brother's eye meet that of the man on his right, whose head moved in a slight confirmation of the fact. The redheaded man leaned back in his chair and pressed the tips of his fingers together.

"And I'm assuming that you have a recommendation in this case. You medical people have recommendations coming out your ears."

She briefly wondered what had given him such a bad idea of medical people, but prevented her emotions from showing on her face.

"With all due respect, sir, I would recommend that you refrain from administering that drug, or any others in that series, to any of the people you're questioning."

"Why?"

"At present, due to a serious accident yesterday, the infirmary is stretched to the limits of both manpower and medication. We can't afford to be leaving a room aside for people to be sleeping off drugs for hours on end, not to mention that such cases generally require constant supervision in case they react further."

"In what way could this occur?"

"Deaths from such reactions, from the material I read, are not unknown, sir."

The man raised an eyebrow. "And what 'material' would that be, Doctor?"

"Several weeks ago, I had a patient brought to the infirmary who showed identical signs to those of the doctor yesterday, having taken part in a series of tests with that drug family. I did some research in the mainframe and found those details."

The man nodded slowly. "Would you happen to have saved any of this data?"

"No, sir." Helen let her eyes widen in seeming astonishment. "But I'm certain that you could look it up for yourselves."

Out of the corner of her eye, she watched the third man's lips twitch, but whether in amusement or vexation, she couldn't tell.

"So you feel that none of these drugs ought to be used until we carry out further tests?"

"Certainly not if you wanted the people to be available for further questioning. I'd honestly be very surprised, considering the doctor's reaction this morning, if he will be able to answer many of your questions in future. My own questioning flustered him and made it difficult for him to concentrate. That effect may fade but I wouldn't like to guarantee it."

"And do you consider that he will be able to work in future?"

"Oh, yes. In fact he said that he felt well enough to return to work today - he became stringent on the subject - but I managed to persuade him that it would be best for him to stay at home today and come back tomorrow. Providing that he isn't placed under great stress, I can see no problem with him continuing to work."

"And that is your considered medical opinion?" The man's voice was a sneer and Helen made her voice icy.

"Yes, sir."

"Very well. We shall consider it. You may go."

Responding to his nod with a nod of her own, Helen turned and left the room just in time to stop herself from laughing out loud. She had reached the elevators when her cell phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Flustered, was I?” an accented voice asked. “Unable to concentrate?"

"Sydney!" She lowered her voice to a murmur. "If I'd known you were listening..."

"It was highly entertaining, doctor." His tones became patronizing. "You acquitted yourself well."

"I'm very grateful for your kind comments." She grinned. "So how did you manage to log into the security system?"

"He had help," another voice put in.

"Jarod, are you mad? You were close enough to the Centre yesterday!"

"I thought about appearing there today. You know, maybe visit the infirmary for a short stint."

"I'll tell my brother on you."

"No, please!" She could hear him fighting to contain his amusement. "Not that! I'll be good! Just, please, anything but that!"

"Keep going like that and I'll tell your mother."

"Okay, okay, I'll leave Blue Cove."

"I'm glad to hear it. Sydney, do you want me to come around and see you?"

"You can if you like. I'm feeling all right, though."

"I'm glad to hear it. If Miss Parker doesn't need my help, I'll come around to see you before I visit Debbie."

"If they do use anything on her, bring her around here and I'll look after her while you get back to Ethan."

"Thanks, Sydney. That's very good of you."

"No problem. I have to make up for my extended vacation somehow, you know."

"In the meantime, you can start practicing, in case he ignores my recommendation and does drag you up again. Don't forget, flustered and unable to concentrate."

Seating herself behind her desk, she could hear him laughing.

"Yes, doctor. I'll do my best to obey orders."

# # #


Helen watched as the woman was escorted from the room and heaved a grateful sigh, turning to slip her things into the bag that lay on her desk. Turning, her eyes met those of the man who had silently removed the air vent cover, and she went over, first to lock the door and then to kneel in front of him.

"What is it, Angelo?"

"Plan."

Raising an eyebrow, she rocked back on her heels. "Whose plan? Mine? My plan from five years ago?"

He nodded emphatically and pushed several folders into her hand. She looked at the names and then back at him.

"Will you help me, Angelo?"

With another emphatic nod, he held up ten fingers. "Time."

"Ten o'clock tonight? Right after the light go out? And should I ask Broots to help with security?"

"Me."

"Are you sure you can manage it?"

"No danger." He grinned for a moment. "No daughter."

"All right, Angelo. Take care of the system and meet me at ten in our spot." She grabbed his wrist as he was about to disappear. "I'm taking you with me tonight. I won't leave you here now. It's too dangerous."

"No." He shook his head with as much emphasis as he had nodded it. "Stay. Help Jarod. Others."

"You'll help him a lot better by him knowing you're safe. Do you know what’d happen to you if they realized?"

He tapped the side of his head, grinning sadly. "Punished."

Gently she reached out and hugged him. "Yes, Angelo." Her voice was full of pain. "You already have been."

Picking up the folders as he disappeared back into the darkness, she took them over to the desk and sat down. The first sheet outlined a plan and, reading through the details, her eyes widened, before she nodded definitively. It was more than time for her plan to be used and she could guess the information contained in the other folders. Glancing through them quickly, she thrust them into her bag, abruptly leaving the office.

# # #


Blue Cove, Delaware
Sydney saw the distinctive red head enter the supermarket and, with a grin, went in after her. He followed her down the first aisle and, as she glanced to her right, tapped her on the shoulder.

"I couldn't quite remember - was fresh air in that prescription?"

"If you think it’d help," she grinned, recovering from her shock at his sudden appearance. "But I'm sure you're capable of making that decision for yourself, aren't you, Doctor?"

"Well, I always like a second opinion." He eyed her. "Particularly from the little sister of my boss." He watched her put several items in the trolley and grin while watching him from the corner of her eye. "Uh, should I ask?"

"Only if you really have to know." She looked around. "I'll tell you, but not here."

He nodded. "Can I give you a hand?"

"With the amount of stuff I need to buy, I'd appreciate it."

"Are you setting up house in Blue Cove?"

Helen eyed him scornfully as she put several jars into the cart. "I didn't expect that drug to have affected your brain."

"Please," Sydney raised his hands in a gesture of protest. "If you place me under great stress, I might become flustered and unable to concentrate."

"You're too smart for your own good,” she snorted. “And mine."

"Well, why not buy it all closer to home?"

"Because I won't have a chance closer to home."

"There are no supermarkets between here and there? I'll have to have a word to somebody about that on your behalf."

She smiled, picking up several large packages and, as Sydney stared in astonishment, put them on top of everything else. "That's awfully considerate of you, but I never said that I was lacking opportunity. It's just that my circumstances make it easier now."

# # #


"Okay, Helen, what's going on?"

He looked at her as soon as they were in the car and she assumed her look of mock-innocence.

"I couldn't just be planning for a possible future?"

"Not unless allegedly permanent operations have suddenly become reversible," he shot back.

Laughing, she reached into her bag and took out a sheet of paper. "Let's see if that drug really did have an affect or not."

Steering into the traffic, she watched out of the corner of her eye as Sydney read through all the material.

"Mr. Parker?" he suggested in startled tones.

"Say a loving goodbye if you should happen to see him tomorrow. The only thing you'll see after that is a pine coffin."

"I didn't know your brother was such a cheapskate. He doesn't deserve ebony or something for all the work he's put in over the years?"

She laughed. "At least they're going to bury him beside his wife's empty coffin."

"So that means the baby…"

"Precisely." The doctor nodded. "I'm getting him out tonight."

"And Miss Parker?"

"She's too valuable to the Triumvirate, but I checked and…" Helen trailed off and, stopping at the traffic light, reached into her bag, producing another folder. "Take a look at those tests and you'll see what I mean."

The psychiatrist glanced over the sheets of paper, only a few of which had any meaning for him, but the results were clear and he read through the summary.

"So where will you take him?"

"Ashe. It's safe and Ethan can help me care for him."

"Does Ethan know?"

"Sydney, I've had been privy to that information for about an hour and we were in the store, which is about half an hour from the Centre, for the other half, so when would I have told him anything?"

"Who gave it to you?"

"Well, I sure didn't get it from my brother."

"And will he be the only one you take back to Ashe?"

"I tried to convince Angelo to come with me, but he wouldn't."

"Is that all?"

He waited, watching a small grin appear on her face as she remained silent, and turned to face her, his impatience obvious.

"Well?"

# # #


Helen pulled the car up the curb and got out, walking around to the passenger's door and hearing the signal for the end of the day as she did so. A few moments later the first of the students ran through the doors and Helen quickly recognized the familiar face in the crowd.

"Debbie?"

"Mommy!" the girl shrieked in delight before running over to throw herself at Helen. "How come you're here?"

"I came to pick you up, baby." The doctor hugged her. "I thought if your dad asks me that I'd even come for dinner."

Debbie scrambled into the passenger seat and did up the belt, her eyes widening as she glanced into the back seat.

"Mommy, who's that for?”

"Somebody that I'm going to pick up tonight and take home."

"Like you did with us?"

"Exactly." Helen started the engine. "But it's a secret, sweetheart, so you mustn't tell anyone, not even your dad or Miss Parker, okay?"

"Uh huh." She looked at the doctor. "They'll know eventually, though, right?"

"Yes, but it might take them a while. If you have to talk to anyone, Sydney knows but that's all I'm telling."

"How does he know?"

"He was with me when I bought it."

She nodded before looking up. "Will you help me with my homework tonight? I'm all behind from being sick."

Helen glanced over with a loving smile. "Of course I will, sweetie."

# # #


Dropping silently into the darkness, Helen straightened up to find the empath next to her.

"Perfect timing, Angelo. Is everything set?"

She could make out the nod of his head in the faint light as she followed him down the shaft. The two figures descended several ladders, finally arriving at the vent of a room in which a man lay on the bed, asleep. Helen reached into the sleeve of her top and drew out a long, thin file. Slipping it in between the cover and the wall, she jiggled it for a moment and heard the quiet click. The hinge made no sound as Angelo pushed the cover away and climbed out into the room. Going over to the bed, he gently shook the man on it.

"Steve."

Slowly the man awoke, making out the features in the dim bulb that still burned in the ceiling, and sat up.

"What is it, Angelo? What do you want?"

"Friend."

"I know you are." The man grinned feebly. "You didn't really need to wake me up to tell me that. I had a terrible day. Couldn't you have left me to sleep?"

The empath grinned, shaking his head. "New friend."

"Oh, really?" The man glanced over to the vent cover and watched as the woman appeared in the room. He eyed her mistrustfully before looking at Angelo. "You're sure?"

"Positive. Help escape."

"Who?"

"Jarod."

The man's eyes widened, staring at her. "You did?"

"Yes, Steven." She smiled. "And I thought it was time I did it again. Are you ready to go?"

"Why?"

"I can't explain it now; we don't have time. You're not the only person on my wish list tonight."

"Michael?"

"Well, I wouldn't leave him here, without you, would I?" She smiled. "I know quite a bit about your connection and I wouldn't take one without the other. Now, if you can trust me, let's get going."
Part 15 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 15



The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Helen closed the cover and returned the lock to a sealed position, thus ensuring their method of escape would be virtually impossible to detect, before looking up at where the man held the baby in his arms.

"Angelo, take Steven and Michael to our spot. We'll join you there."

"Help."

"No, Angelo. I can't risk either of you being exposed to my drug or we'll never get out of here. Just don't ask any questions and if I'm not there in half an hour, take them to my car and give Steven the map."

The empath eyed her for a moment before nodding decisively and turning, pushing the other man ahead of him.

Helen watched them go before going along the vent to another ladder and going up it. After several minutes she arrived at her destination and looked into the room to see the boy in the bed, his face buried in his pillow, sobbing softly. With sympathy in her eyes, she unfastened the lock on the cover, as she had for the other rooms, and softly climbed out, pausing while still a short distance from the bed.

"David?"

The boy raised his head, looking around for several seconds before he saw her and then cringing back against the pillow as if it could protect him.

"W… who are you?"

"I'm a friend. I've come to get you out of here. Angelo sent me." Helen lifted one hand and swung the cover of the vent until it was almost shut before walking over to the bed and sitting down.

"I'm going to take you back to my house and give you lots of your favorite things to eat. What's your favorite food, David?"

The boy sniffed, looking up at her mistrustfully but still answering. "Ice cream."

She smiled. "I've got lots of that at my house. And I've got a lovely warm bed for you too, in a nice room, and I've got a big room for you to watch TV."

"Will… he be there?"

"Who, David? You mean the man who comes every day?"

"Uh huh." The boy wiped his eyes on the harsh, gray material. "Will he?"

"No, David, I promise that he won't be. You never have to see him again."

Slowly the boy's hand crept closer until it was almost touching her arm. "And do I have to work?"

"No, David. You can do whatever you want, but you'll never have to work the way you have here, ever again."

"P… promise?" His eyes filled with tears as he looked up at her. "It's so hard and, when I get stuff wrong, he gets so angry…"

"I promise you, David, no work and he won't be there."

Gently he put his hand on her arm, hesitating, to gauge her reaction, and then moved the rest of his body closer as well. Helen put out a hand and gently started to stroke his hair. Slowly she gathered him in her arms until he was lying with his head on her shoulder, sobbing softly against her neck.

"I'm so scared here, and it's dark, and he always yells at me and hits me."

"All right, David." She rocked him gently. "It's okay, I'm here and you're safe. I'll take you back to my nice house and you never have to come here again."

Helen felt him slowly start to calm down. As he moved, his foot pressed down on her pocket, and she heard the crack as the glass vial broke. Ignoring it for the moment, Helen continued to gently stroke his hair until she could feel that the gas had affected him and he was sleeping. Slowly she stood, opening up the air vent cover again. Taking a blanket from the bed, she wrapped him up in it before putting his limp body just inside the shaft. As she was about to get up into it herself, the door behind her swung open and she turned to see Raines.

"Who are you? What are you doing?"

At the first sound of his voice, she struggled not to grin but managed to keep her voice serious.

"Good evening, Mr. Raines. This is an unexpected surprise." She leaned against the wall. "Close the door, will you? I'd hate for us to be overheard."

A glint in her eye, she watched as the man turned, pulling the door closed, before turning back to her. His voice, when he spoke, was a dull monotone.

"Is there anything else?"

"Yes, I think there is." She eyed him coolly. "Where's the accurate file on David?"

"In my office, behind the filing cabinet."

"Which one?"

"The one on the far left."

"And are his parents still alive?"

"No, we had them killed when we discovered his possible potential as a Pretender, to prevent the problems similar to those we had with Jarod."

Helen felt rage begin to grow inside at his words, in the same way it had when she had seen him search Catherine Parker, and it was only with an effort that the woman controlled herself.

"Why did you present false information to the Triumvirate?"

"It gives me greater leverage to use against them in future."

"And what's your plan?"

"Mr. Parker and I have been planning a coup for the past two months."

"And does anybody else know of this?"

"No. Just you."

"Good." She eyed him thoughtfully. "And how much potential does David have as a Pretender, in comparison to, say, Jarod?"

"He's somewhat inferior, but he could still have been useful."

"And Steven?"

"Inferior to both but he has been useful when caring for Mr. Parker's son."

"Is it really his son?"

"As far as I'm aware, yes."

"Fine." She smiled. "Mr. Raines, in a moment you will leave this room, locking the door behind you. You will go back to your quarters. If by any chance you happen meet somebody, you will react in your usual manner to them. When you arrive in your room, you will go to bed and sleep until nine o'clock. Is that understood?"

"Yes ma'am."

He nodded and turned, opening the door and walking through it. As she opened the vent cover, she could hear the lock click and tried to smother her laughter as she locked the vent cover behind her. Picking up the sedated child in her arms, she headed down towards the man's office. The file about David was in her hand inside of a minute and she made her way to the point where she was to meet the others.

"Leaving?"

"Yes, Angelo." She gently pressed his hand. "You're sure you won't come?"

"Stay here. Help."

"Well, make sure you stay out of the way tomorrow morning. You remember how it was after Eddie, Jarod and Alex tried to escape, don't you?"

He nodded soberly and hugged her before dropping into the vent. After watching him disappear, she turned to the man who stood silently beside her, his eyes wide as he looked around.

"Are you ready to go, Steven?"

"Please," he begged as he walked beside her, the baby in his arms, "would you mind calling me Steve? Steven is what he calls me."

"Raines?"

"I don't know what his name is."

"Tall, bald, oxygen tank, cruel for no apparent reason?"

"That's him." Steve paused. "Especially the last part."

"I'll say." Helen pulled up the sleeve of the sleeping boy's top and eyed the bruises. "Have you met David before?"

"He and I did a simulation together last week."

"Good, so he'll trust you if he wakes up in the car."

"You have a car?" The suddenly naïve tones reminded Helen painfully of Eddie.

"How old were you when you came to the Centre, Steve?"

"Six."

"And you're thirty-five now."

"Is that a question?"

"No, it's a statement. I've read your file several times." She opened the door and put the sleeping boy into the middle seat, doing up the seatbelt, before Steve got in beside him. Going around to the other side of the car, Helen fastened the baby into the capsule that Debbie had noticed earlier that day before getting in behind the wheel.

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Where are we?" asked the man in the back seat, his hand absent-mindedly stroking David’s hair as he looked around with wide eyes.

"Ever heard of a state called New York?"

"I think so."

"Well, that's where we are." Helen stifled a yawn as she got out of the car. "Later, when I'm actually able to think again, I'll show you on a map."

"Helen, what on earth…?"

The doctor turned to find Ethan in the doorway and smiled, placing a reassuring hand on Steve's arm.

"Ethan, these are several people that were in the same place as Jarod was. Steve, this is Ethan. He's Jarod's half-brother. You can trust him. The Centre wants him as badly as they'll want you in the morning."

She took the baby out of the capsule and gave him to Steve before picking up David and opening the trunk. "Ethan, can you help me with some of this stuff?"

"Sure." He stared at the bags before glancing at her. "You weren't prepared for this or anything, were you?"

"I thought only your sister and brother were that sarcastic."

He grinned. "It's genetic."

Ethan picked up a few of the bags and carried them through to the kitchen before coming out for the rest. Helen carried David in to the living room and gently put him down on the sofa, turning to find Steve standing behind her.

"Are we really...?"

"You're really safe." She put a hand on his arm. "I don't expect you to believe me just yet, but I promise that you never have to go back to the Centre again. Later I'll call Jarod and get him to come and visit but if you've really had a terrible day, I think you need to go to bed."

He smiled weakly. "I think it just got better."

"I hope so." She guided him back into the kitchen and to the door of the cellar. "I have a bedroom down here for you, next to Ethan's. I'll turn off the lights and it'll be a bit dark, but the lights in the hall and kitchen will be on. If you wake up in the night and want something, Ethan's in the next room and my room is in the middle as you go up the stairs that you saw in the living room, okay?"

Gently she took the baby out of his arms. "In the morning, I'll have some different clothes for you to wear instead of the Centre outfit but, for now, I just want you to get some sleep."

Steve looked at the bed as, with her spare arm, she turned back the blankets and then stepped away. "I… I get to sleep in that?"

"You sure do. And you can sleep in it for as long as you want."

"Wow." He gingerly reached out a hand and touched it. "It's soft."

"Yes, Steve, and it's really warm." She touched his arm. "Go on, in you get."

"Really?"

Helen put her free arm around his shoulders and guided him over to it, seating him on the edge of the bed and sitting down next to him. "You, Michael and David are safe now. I know that, after so many years, that it's hard to believe, but you don't ever have to perform another simulation in your life, unless you want to."

Looking at his face, she could see what was coming and it was no surprise when the first tear slid out of his eye and he turned away. Gently she put a hand under his chin and turned his face back to her.

"Go ahead," she said softly. "Let it out. Let all those different things you're feeling now out in the tears you can feel in your eyes. That's okay. It's normal. Everyone feels like this sometimes."

"What's it called?"

The words were muffled, but audible, and she smiled. "It's a mixture of emotions, Steve. That's another word for the things you feel. Feelings and emotions are the same. But I think the one you're feeling right now is most likely to be relief. That's something you feel when, for example, you've been really scared that something bad will happen and then it doesn't. The thing you feel when you realize it won't happen is known as relief. Lots of people cry with relief, especially if what they've been scared of was really bad." She saw the first tears followed rapidly by others and continued in soft tones. "This, what you're feeling now, is very normal."

"How did you know?"

"Did you ever meet Eddie?"

He nodded slowly.

"I explained all this to him when he came here. Now, because of Eddie, I know how you're feeling and how to explain it to you."

"It's not… bad?"

"Emotions are good, Steve. They're the things that help us appreciate life more than we otherwise would. I know that, in there, you weren't ever allowed to show what you feel, but out here, out in the world, you can." Gently she wiped the tears from his cheeks. "I want you to try to sleep now. If you can't, that's okay, but I'd like you to try."

She helped him to lie down and pulled the blanket up over him.

"Shall I turn off the light or would you like me to leave it on?"

"What's it like with it off?"

She pressed the button, darkening the room, but light was still visible through the half-open door, and she looked down. "If you want to make it light again, all you’ve got to do is press that button and it’ll happen." Helen rested a hand on his for a moment. "And you're allowed to do it. Nothing bad will happen and nobody will punish you for it. You decide what you want to do."

He nodded slowly and Helen could see the emotion in his eyes as she leaned over the bed. "I'm going upstairs now but, like I said before, if you want something, all you have to do is come up or go into the next room and ask Ethan." About to turn away, she paused. "There are no cameras in here either, Steve. If you want to do anything, even cry, go right ahead. Nobody will see you. I'll never know."

Exiting the room but leaving the door half-open, she found Ethan leaning against the wall. He silently followed her up to the kitchen and into the living room, where David still lay on the sofa.

"He didn't know about emotion?"

She sat next to the sleeping boy and looked at Ethan as he sat opposite her with curiosity in his eyes. "Jarod would have been exactly the same when he got out. I know Eddie was. People in the Centre have sometimes been there for their entire lives. He hasn't seen anything of the world since 1972, when you were one year old. He won't know about a lot of things that are normal to us, and he'll ask about them. To help him get used to it, we need to be patient and answer his questions without asking any. When he wants to tell us things, he will."

"And the boy?"

"David's only been in the Centre for a little over a week. In time, he'll be a normal child again. It probably won't take that long, either. Children are more flexible and adaptable than adults."

"And the baby?"

She sighed. "This is Michael Parker, your sister's brother."

"But not mine?"

"He isn't Catherine's son. As far as I know, he's the son of Catherine's husband."

Ethan nodded, watching as Helen yawned. "I made up a temporary bed for him in your room. I thought that's what you'd want."

"It's ideal." She handed the baby to him. "I want to wake David if I can. Here, hold Michael for a sec."

As Ethan awkwardly took the baby, Helen leaned over the boy and gently roused him. "David? Come on, sweetheart. It's time to wake up now."

He opened his eyes, staring around the room for a minute, before looking up at her and smiling, holding out his arms. "Was it real? Did you really get me out?"

"Yes, David." She picked him up. "I really got you out. You’ll never have to go back there again. You can stay with me for as long as you want."

He put his head down on her shoulder. The movement meant that he was able to see Ethan and he froze. "Who's that?"

"It's a friend, baby. You can trust him, just like you can trust me."

"Promise?"

"Yes, David." She rubbed her hand on his back. "You're safe with me. I'm going to take you up to that bedroom I promised you, remember?"

"Uh huh." He nestled closer to her. "Is it near you?"

"It's right next door, sweetie. I'll show you now." Standing, Helen carried him upstairs and opened the door of her room. "This is where I sleep."

He pointed at the baby's bed, made in a drawer that Ethan had removed from her cupboard.

"Who's that for?"

"That's for the baby that Ethan was holding."

"What's he called?"

"Michael."

The boy's eyes lit up in delight. "Does that mean Steve's here too?"

"Yes, David." She smiled. "How do you know about them?"

"Steve told me when we were working together. Where is he?"

"He's in bed, sweetheart. I don't want to wake him up, but you can see him later and play with him all day." She carried him into the next room. "This is a room all for you, David. You can sleep here every night, in this lovely bed."

As she turned back the blanket and put him down, he rolled onto his side, curling up and smiling at her. "This is like the room I used to have at home."

She sat beside him. "This is your home now, David." Her heart seemed to twist in her as she said the words, recalling what Raines had said about his parents, but she pushed away the feeling and gently began to stroke his hair, watching as his eyes closed.

"That's right, David." She lowered her voice to the quiet murmur that brought back vivid memories of Jarod and Debbie being sick. "You're safe now, here with me, and I'll take care of you. You can play with Steve all day and eat ice cream for dessert and watch cartoons on t.v and any time you want a hug, you just ask me and I'll give you one."

Tears dimmed her eyes when she saw the tiny smile that appeared on his face as he relaxed into sleep. Standing up, she turned on a small lamp that sat on a table in the corner before switching off the one beside the bed. Leaving the room, she found Ethan waiting outside her room.

"I'd thought about putting him to bed, but I didn't know how."

She smiled. "By the time you leave here, you'll be an expert, I promise."

"How do you know so much about it?"

"Years of Med. School."

She undressed the baby, took off his diaper, and put on a clean one from the package Sydney had watched her purchasing earlier that day and which Ethan had bought upstairs. Cradling Michael in her arms for a moment, she waited until he fell asleep and then placed him down, pulling up a small blanket to cover him, before turning to the young man beside her.

"If Steve needs anything and you don't feel confident enough to get it for him, you can bring him up to me and I'll help."

He nodded. "Don't worry, Helen. We'll be fine."

"He can always sleep up here tomorrow, if he wants to, but we'll see."

Ethan rested a hand on her arm. "Stop panicking, Helen."

She raised an eyebrow. "Did Catherine tell you that?"

"No." He grinned. "The expression in your eyes did."

# # #


Carrying the freshly washed baby downstairs, she carried him to the kitchen and put him into the high chair that she had bought the day before. Gently tying a bib around his neck, she put on the kettle and got one of the jars of baby food from a bag that sat on the floor. Picking up her phone, she got a spoon out of the drawer. Opening the jar, she activated the phone and called up a number before connecting the call and tucking the device between her shoulder and ear.

"Jarod, it's Helen. I'm in New York. Are you close?"

She heard quiet laughter on the other end. "Close enough. Why?"

"I need a hand." Helen narrowed her eyes, putting the first spoonful of food into the baby's open mouth. "What, exactly, do you mean by 'close enough'?"

Hearing a knock on the door, she turned to find Jarod grinning at her from the open doorway. "Is that close enough for you?" he asked, laughing, before disconnecting the call. Walking into the room, he staring at Michael. "What's that?"

Helen rolled her eyes. "It's a baby, Jarod. What did you think it was?"

"Did you hit it with your car too?"

She laughed. "No, not exactly, although he did get a ride in it from Delaware last night."

He sank into a chair. "It's not… is it?

"Very good." Helen smiled. "They don't…"

"...call me a genius for nothing. I know. That's Mr. Parker's son?"

"Michael. I don't think I want to call him 'Mr. Parker's son' for the whole of his life. He deserves a first name."

"Why?"

She grinned. "Does he deserve a first name?"

He gave her a withering look. "Why is he here?"

"Make me coffee and I'll tell you."

He set the mug on the table in front of her a moment later and resumed his seat. "Well?"

"Angelo came to my office when I was about to leave the infirmary yesterday and showed me the proof that tomorrow Mr. Parker's going to be assassinated."

The Pretender's eyes widened. "You don't soften things, do you?"

"Only sickness." She grinned, sipping her coffee, before wiping Michael's face with the bib. "The report said that, as the child hadn't shown any skills of value to the Centre, there was no point in keeping him." She eyed him. "And I'm sure you can guess what that means, in clear, everyday, comprehensible English."

Jarod nodded slowly. "So you went and got him last night?"

"Yes. The papers that Angelo gave me also mentioned that a person who'd been caring for Michael hadn't shown very strong pretender potential and might as well be included in the order."

"Who?" Jarod's voice sank to a soft, pain-filled whisper and Helen nodded towards the figure that appeared in the doorway as he spoke.

"Him."

Jarod stared at the man for a few seconds before jumping to his feet, the smile on his face similar to that which Helen had seen on the tape from the hospital room with Eddie, and Steve's face wore one just as wide. Picking up the baby, she draped a towel over her right shoulder and put the child against it, patting him gently on the back, as she stood up and began to get out plates for breakfast.

"Where's David?"

"He was still asleep when I got up. Do you want to go and see if he's awake?"

"Where is he?"

"Right-hand bedroom, upstairs like I told you last night."

Nodding, the younger man left the room and Jarod sank into a chair. "Why didn't you let me help you?"

"I didn't want you to come down with anything this time." She laughed as he tried to hide a smile. "No, actually it was because I had Angelo's help and also because I had so little time. The whole operation had to be completed in just twelve hours and, with no idea where you were, it seemed easier to simply do it." Helen listened to the footsteps coming down the stairs and turned to him. "Get ready to see a smaller version of you. David, the boy Steve mentioned, is four. He's been inside the Centre for a week."

"Who's been overseeing...?"

She raised an eyebrow, her mouth narrowing. "Well, it wasn't Sydney."

Jarod nodded and took the baby as Helen held him out. She looked towards the door as the two figures appeared.

"Hi David. How did you sleep, sweetheart?"

The boy ran over and threw himself at her. "It's true. Steve really is here."

"I told you he was, baby, and I'll never lie to you." She picked David up and kissed him gently on one cheek. "I've got another friend for you to meet, too."

"Wow." He looked at her, eyes wide. "You have a lot of friends."

"Yes," she smiled. "I do." She turned him around so that he could see the man on the other side of the table and nodded towards him. "This is Jarod. Jarod, this is David."

"Hi David." The man smiled, his eyes running over the boy's face and seeing the bruises that were visible under the gray cloth at his neck.

"Hi." The boy's tones were full of confidence as he looked back at Helen. "Can I have something for breakfast? I'm really hungry."

"Sure, sweetie. What do you like best for breakfast?"

He hesitated for a moment. "You don't have Pop-tarts, do you?"

"Actually," she admitted, trying not to laugh and knowing Jarod was also fighting to suppress his own amusement. "I do."

"Goody." The boy bounced on her knee.

"What's… whatever he said?" Steve asked.

"Pop-tarts." Helen put David down on the chair, on which she had already put two large cushions so that he was level with the tabletop, and got up, fetching the box from the larder. "Something Jarod likes a lot. No, Steve, I'm not going to describe them to you. You have to have one." As she put the items into the toaster, David looked over at Jarod.

David stared at Jarod. "You like them, too?"

"I love them." The man grinned. "They're my favorite breakfast."

"And that, presumably, is why you're sneaking around my house." Helen sent him a mock-glare. "You were going to sponge off me again."

"Well, why not? It's free."

"I should start charging you rent, now that you're not sick anymore."

"Hey, I paid for that shopping trip Broots and I did."

"Out of which account?"

He shrugged, hiding a grin. "What kind of a stupid question is that? Do you think you're...?"

She picked up a glass, filled it with water and threatened to pour it over his head, as Steve picked up Michael and cuddled him. "If you quote me, I swear that you'll get a cold shower, leather jacket and cold weather or not."

"Okay, I'll be good." He took the glass from her hand and drank half of the contents in a couple of large gulps. "But you should really use something permanent as a form of threat."

"Like threatening not to feed you?"

He widened his eyes and tried to look meek. "I'm still recovering, Helen. I'm sure you don't want me to collapse on the floor."

She smirked. "I've got other people to look after now. I'd probably just leave you there."

"Speaking of recovering," he looked around, "where's my brother?"

"Here."

Ethan walked into the room and Jarod laughed. "You're getting good at that. We mention you and you appear."

"Magic." The younger man smiled and then glanced at Helen. "Do you have any other options for breakfast than Pop-tarts?"

"Pancakes, toast, cereal - anything sounding good so far?"

"Everything." Ethan poured himself a mug of coffee and sat down again. "Do you want a hand?"

"Can you heat the pan like I showed you last time? Luckily, we've still got mix left over, so I don't have to worry about that." She rescued the steaming pop-tarts from the toaster, putting one on each plate, breaking the last of the four in half and giving one bit each to Steve and David. Jarod immediately began to sulk.

"Where's the fairness in that?"

"Who said anything about fair? Devious, yes, cruel, maybe, but fair?"

She smiled as Steve picked up the square of pastry and tentatively tasted it before looking at her with a grin.

"I like it."

"Good, Steve. There's a lot of other things for you to try, too." She glared at Jarod. "And I'll try to ensure that at least some of them are healthy, because you won't have a need to keep running constantly, like some other people I could mention but won't because I'm so nice."

"Oh, yes?" Jarod raised an eyebrow, breaking off a corner of his Pop-tart. "By whose standards?"

"I think she's nice." David looked up at Jarod. "She was nice to me last night, and she gave me a really nice room, all for me, and she promised that I’d never have to see him again." Tears came into the boy's eyes as he looked up at her. "And you do mean it, right?"

"Yes, honey." She picked up him and cuddled him, feeling him begin to sob as he nestled against her. "Of course I mean it, David. You never have to see him, ever again. We'll look after you and make sure you're safe."

"Can I stay with you?"

"Yes, David." She began to stroke his hair. "You can stay with me here forever if you want to."

"You… you mean it?" He raised his head and looked at her.

"I'm not going to lie to you, David. If I tell you something, then I'll always mean it." With a gentle hand, she wiped away his tears. "You can trust me, David, most of all not to hurt you."

He rested his head against her shoulder again, still sniffling, as she put a second lot of pop-tarts into the toaster.

"Do you want another one, Steve, or will you try something different?"

"Is this just for today?"

She smiled. "We eat like this every day. You never have to eat optimized nutritional supplements again, unless you really want to, that is." Helen grinned at Jarod. "Although I could imagine that it might be possible to develop a longing for that kind of thing."

He pulled a face. "Possible but not likely."

She smiled. "Steve?"

"If it's okay, I'd like to try something else."

"Of course it is." She smiled, filling a mug with boiling water, and stirred in a teaspoonful of coffee, before giving it to him. "Try this."

Jarod took the mug before Steve could taste the contents, adding a large dash of milk and some sugar, before handing it back and glaring at Helen. "What are you trying to do, give him a caffeine overdose?"

Helen laughed as Jarod made himself another mug of coffee, before finishing her own drink. "Do you want another pop-tart, sweetheart?" She looked down at the little boy as he nodded, rubbing his sleeve across his face, and she took a tissue from the box, handing it to him. "Wipe your face on that, baby. It's much nicer."

Taking the hot objects out of the toaster, she put one on Jarod's plate and one on David's, setting the boy down on the chair again and beginning to cook the first of the pancakes.

# # #


"Where's David?"

"He and Steve are playing chess." Jarod looked up at her. "Will you tell me more about what went on last night?"
Helen's lips twitched. "What say I show you instead?"

"Can you do that? I would have thought the video feed blocked the tape."

"The genuine footage passed through the interruption point - Angelo's computer in this case - and he recorded what did happen. I received an email from him this morning."

She picked up the laptop and set it on the table, turning it so that Jarod could see the screen. As she started the footage from David's room, Helen kept one eye on the door and watched Jarod's reaction with the other. When Raines appeared in the doorway, she froze it.

"Guess what happens next."

"Well, you're all here, so I guess he didn't kill you." Jarod gazed thoughtfully at the screen. "Did he go to get back-up and you ran?"

"Not quite." She started the footage and let him watch it, grinning as he tried not to laugh. "Well?"

"I love it." The smile faded. "But I don't understand how it happened. He's breathing pure oxygen through that darned tank of his."

"Except that the poor baby has a cold, and so has to breathe through his mouth, meaning that, in a small room like that, the gas was so concentrated that it only took those first few seconds for him to be sufficiently affected."

"I thought it was primarily a sedative."

"It is, but this is where the oxygen tank came in handy. The amount of pure oxygen in his system meant that he was awake but the gas acted to break down his mental resistance to my orders."

"Again, I love it." Jarod glanced at his watch. "And is he awake now?"

"Jarod, it's only eight thirty. He won't be awake for another half hour."

"You mean that works?" His eyes widened. "He'll really sleep that long?"

"We all have an internal clock and it's possible to set it when the person can’t create conscious resistance."

"So have they found out yet?"

"Have they what!" She logged into the security system. "A sweeper had to give a nasty report to my brother this morning when he went to give them breakfast and found the rooms empty."

Jarod smirked. "Poor sweeper."

"Quite. And as a result, my brother's in a pretty bad mood." She chuckled. "But it's about to get a lot worse."

"Why?" Jarod narrowed his eyes. "What are you going to do?"

"I converted my discussion with Raines into a sound file." She waited until the laptop beeped. "My brother just received, from a nice, friendly, anonymous source, a sound file of identical size and duration. I'm not sure if, on top of more pretenders escaping, he wants to know about a planned coup." She shrugged. "But bad luck does supposedly come in threes, and with that nice little mainframe catastrophe..."

"And who else knew about this?"

"Sydney."

"How?"

"He saw me when I was shopping yesterday and didn't believe me when I tried to say that I might have been buying diapers and baby food in an attempt to plan for a 'possible' future."

Jarod laughed softly. "No, I'll bet he didn't. And does he know that they're gone?"

"Well, I presume so." She reached over and shut the laptop before turning on the speaker of the phone and grinning. "Let's find out, shall we?"

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Sydney looked up as Miss Parker, without knocking, marched into his office and he tried to hide a smile. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"What do you know about last night's disappearance, Syd?"

He shrugged. "How could I possibly know anything, Parker? Remember, I wasn't even at the Centre yesterday, having to stay home, on medical orders, to recover from that nasty T-Board."

"Cute. Now the truth please." She looked down suddenly as sound came from the speaker on his desk. "Why is your phone crying?"

Sydney glanced at his watch. "I think it's hungry."

Laughter came from the phone. "Actually, Sydney, it's already been fed. I think it needs a nap."

"Helen?" the brunette gasped.

"Good morning, Miss Parker. Looking forward to a T-Board free day?"

"I… I guess." She sank down into the chair in front of the desk. "Are you insane?"

"You know, that's the second time you've suggested that in three days. If you say it again, I might have to consider believing you."

"Helen, this line is hardly secure."

"On the contrary, Sydney, it's very secure. A friend of mine placed a scrambler on that phone last night. All you have to do is make sure no one walks in unannounced." Helen paused. "Again."

As Sydney smiled, Miss Parker leaned forward. "And do you, by any chance, have an idea where it might be possible for the Triumvirate to find three individuals whose absence is alarming them this morning."

"No."

The woman on the other end paused briefly while Sydney and Miss Parker exchanged mystified glances.

"But I do know where you might be able to find them, if you want to,” Helen continued. “And while you don't have anybody on your back right now it’d be very easy for Jarod to be seen somewhere like Iowa, perhaps, and for all three of you to leave the Centre to find him. There's also the matter of a little difficulty that Debbie was having with her work for school yesterday. A tutor got some of the explanation done last night, but not everything, and, being Saturday and with her not being in school, it would be good to be able to finish it."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"So how hard are they looking for them?" Jarod asked, after Helen disconnected the call.

"They're not looking at all." Helen looked at the baby who was asleep in her arms. "They were, but my brother received an anonymous sound file..."

"...about a coup attempt." Jarod folded his arms and sat back in chair, a look of satisfaction on his face. "In other words, they're too busy trying to protect their own backs to worry."

"Considering the fairly small amount of value that Steve or Michael had, and," her arms tightened around the baby, "considering what they'd planned to do to them, their disappearance is virtually unimportant. David has more value to the Centre but, as Raines said last night, he's still inferior to you."

Jarod glanced at her. "I'm impressed at the self-control you're managing to show in front of David, particularly after hearing what Raines said about his parents."

"And I think that I'm about to be unimpressed by yours." She looked up. "Don't start getting angry about it now, Jarod. It happened, and, much as we'd like to, we can't change it. If you show the way you feel about it - and believe me, I do know how much you're feeling because I feel exactly the same - then you aren't going to be able to hide it from the poor boy and he'll pick up on that, the same way you would have at four."

Seeing the mutinous expression on his face, she put a hand on his. "David needs you Jarod, as much as he needs me and as much as Michael and Steve need us both. We can feel sad, angry or anything else about it all, but we can't let it show in front of them."

He nodded slowly. "Does he know?"

"I don't know. I haven't asked. But he hasn't mentioned his parents yet, so maybe he did tell him."

"To a four-year old." Jarod's voice was faint but filled with emotion.

"It's easier for a four-year-old to recover from something like that than for someone our age. It still hurts, but the hurt heals faster, particularly if they're in a loving and caring environment, instead of one where they get beaten regularly." She stood up. "We need to buy some new clothes for all three of them."

"What will you do with the old ones?"

Helen gave a small smile but said nothing. Jarod reached out his hand, grabbing her arm as she passed him.

"Helen," he spoke as if to a child, carefully enunciating each word. "What are you going to do with them?"

"Wrap them up and leave them on my brother's desk for him to find, along with a note, containing another 'medical' recommendation that he doesn't hunt for them or he may find the Centre getting too hot to hold him."

"In what way?"

"The Centre's been struck a blow at two of its weakest points. The old mainframe is unable to be accessed by anybody, as far as they know, and they've also lost several of their pretenders. The next step, of course, is to begin doing things that threaten my brother personally."

"Such as?"

"Well, it would be awful for him to wake up and find himself lying on the floor of his office with no memory of how it happened, wouldn't it?"

"Oh, that's just nasty."

"I know." She grinned. "And I'm sure that you could help me to come up with other things of equal nastiness."
Laughing, he got to his feet. "Well, I'll see. But I'm really a very nice person."

"So am I, as I told you."

"Yes, you only drug people, hit them with your car, kidnap them..."

"Oh, that reminds me. I should take that cast..." Her eye traveled to his arm and, although Jarod quickly tried to slip his hand into his pocket, she grabbed it before glaring at him. "Who gave you medical clearance to take that off?"

"I did." He grinned. "I needed my hand and I felt it had to be better by now. It was, as I told you in the car, only a simple fracture."

"And you're only simple-minded if you go by how it feels. Don't know you that it's normal for bone to feel alright before it really is?"

"Hey, I'm not a doctor!" he protested indignantly.

Helen shook her head. "I should have plastered your mouth as well."
Part 16 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 16



Ashe, New York
Helen went into the living room, handing the baby to Steven before picking up David and hugging him.

"Sweetie, Jarod and I are going to go and buy you, Steve and Michael lots of lovely new clothes. Would you like that?"

"Can I come?"

"Not this time, baby. Maybe later."

Suddenly he clung to her. "You are going to come back, aren't you?"

"Yes, honey, of course I am." She kissed him gently. "You have fun here with Steve and Ethan, and we'll be back before you know it."

"How come I can't come?"

"Because you're not dressed in proper clothes, David. When you are, I'll let you go shopping with me, and we'll go to the park and play there, and you can go to school too."

"Really?"

"Really." She kissed him again. "What's your favorite color, sweetheart?"

The boy grinned. "Blue."

"Okay." Helen looked over at Steve. "Any requests?"

He shook his head. "I'll be happy with whatever you choose to give me."

"I'd let you wear some of the things I've got for Jarod, but I think they'd look a bit ridiculous." Her lips twitched as she looked from the tall man beside her to the far shorter one who was standing next to Ethan.

"Do you know what sizes to buy?" the older Pretender asked.

Helen eyed Jarod with scorn. "How well do the clothes I bought for you fit?"

"Well, they're not bad, I suppose..."

"Oh, stop it. If you're going to be like that, I'll take your brother with me instead."

"And then who'd pay?"

She took out her purse and dangled a credit card before his eyes, grinning. "The same person who's responsible for us needing to go shopping in the first place."

# # #


Lyneham, New York
"What's that?"

Jarod nodded at the box Helen was putting into the back seat of the car and she laughed. "A present for David."


"Oh, really?" He looked at the picture on the box and then grinned. "Do I get one, as well?"

"Where would I put two train sets of that size? It's going to be hard enough to find room for that one."

"There's always the cellar."

"That was my plan, yes. It will depend whether Steve wants to continue sleeping downstairs or come up to the spare room."

"What about Michael?"

She looked at Jarod as they went back into the shopping mall. "What about him?"

"Is he going to continue sleeping in your room?"

"I hadn't really thought about it. We'll see when we get home."

"If we ever do. I don't know how your car will be drivable with all the things we're cramming inside it."

"Oh, didn't you know?" Helen's expression was innocent as she led the way into the electrical department. "You're walking."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Helen!" The boy ran over to hug her as she appeared in the doorway. "You did come back!"

"Yes, baby." She picked him up and he cuddled her. "I told you I would and I keep my promises. And I bought you lots of lovely clothes to wear."

"Like what?"

She took him into the kitchen where Jarod was carrying bags into the house, and put the boy on a chair. Seizing the first bag, she took out some of the clothes that they had chosen.

"Which ones do you want to wear today, sweetie?"

He thought for several moments before pointing to a top and pair of pants. Smiling, Helen picked them up and put them aside, returning the others to the bag, before smiling at him. "How about a bath?"

He looked up at her. "At home, I always got toys to play with in the bath. Do I get them here, too?"

"You sure do." She picked him up again. "I bought lots of toys for you and Michael to play with in the bath."

He hugged her tightly around the neck, beaming, and then looked over as Jarod carried the large box inside.

"What's that?"

"It's..."

"...a stroller," Helen interrupted. "For when we go to the park." She eyed the man and he nodded.

"That's right." He put it down so that the picture was against the wall and glanced at her. "How long before they get here?"

She glanced at her watch. "Another hour, at most." She looked up as Steve came into the room. "I wanted to ask - where do you want to sleep from now on? In the room where you were last night or upstairs?"

"I… I get to choose?"

"You sure do. And, if you decide later that you want to change your mind, you get that option as well."

"Wow." The man spoke softly and examined the floor before looking up at her. "I really liked my room last night."

"So you want to stay there?"

"Is that okay?"

Helen went over and put a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Of course it's okay, Steve. If you want to do something, you can. If you're not sure, all you have to do is ask."

He nodded numbly and Jarod came over. "What say we take your new clothes down to put them in your room? We can talk then, too."

Helen sent him an approving glance. "Good idea, Jarod. Ethan can look after Michael while David and I have fun in the bathroom."

"Thank you for giving me an option," Ethan commented drily and she smiled.

"I told you, Ethan, you'll be an expert soon and you may as well start sooner than later. And if you need a hand, you know where I'll be."

# # #


Helen hung up David's last shirt and placed a pair of pajamas on his pillow before looking around the room in satisfaction. The boy gave her the clothes that he had been wearing and then hugged her legs before she picked him up.

"Does that feel better, sweetheart?"

"Uh huh." He put his head on her shoulder and she laughed.

"Your hair's still a bit wet, baby. Do you want to make me wet too?"

"What will you do if I do?"

"Tickle you." She demonstrated, feeling David wriggle frantically against her hold as he shrieked with laughter and tried to get away. "So, are you going to try and wet me again?"

"No, I promise!" He giggled, hugging her around the neck as she took him downstairs to the living room. At the sight of the four unknown people, he froze and clung to her more tightly.

"It's all right, honey," she soothed gently. "It's okay. These are more friends."

"Really?"

"I told you, David, I'm not going to lie to you."

His grasp was still firmer than normal as she sat down on the last free chair, a hand stroking his hair.

"David, these are people that Jarod knows too, and Ethan as well."

He looked up at her. "Steve, too?"

"He might. I'm not sure."

"Hi, David." The psychiatrist leaned forward. "I'm Sydney."

"For some reason," Jarod commented drily as he came into the room, "I feel like there's a very logical continuation to that."

"Fortunately," the older man returned in similar tones, "there's no need for it in this case."

"Where's Steve?" Helen interrupted.

"Getting dressed. He'll be up soon."

Helen raised an eyebrow and he nodded, taking David out of her arms. She rose and went over to Debbie.

"How's my girl?"

"Good, Mommy." The girl flung both arms around her neck and lowered her voice, but not to the point that it was inaudible to anyone else in the room. "Are they the people you talked about?"

"Yes, baby." She smiled.

"So Daddy knows now?"

"Yes, he does, but you still shouldn't talk too much about it, okay?"

She nodded, glancing at her father, and then back at Helen. "You remember how you said there was something I could do here and not at home?"

The doctor smiled. "The books are on the mantel, sweetie, and the beanbag's still in the corner."

"Goody." Debbie sprang off the sofa and Helen, laughing, took her place, seeing the girl become immersed in the book, before looking over at Miss Parker.

"Any word on the family front?"

"Mine or yours?" She laughed. "No, I haven't heard anything, except that Daddy was called in for another T-Board this morning."

"Gee," Helen grinned at Jarod. "Who's shocked by that little development?"

"Why?" Sydney narrowed his eyes. "What do you know that we don't?"

"A number of things, I'd say. Do you want specifics, Sydney, or should I just list possibilities?"

He shook his head, trying to hide a smile. "Let's go with the thing of most interest, shall we? Do you know why Raines and Mr. Parker were taken in for yet another T-Board by your brother?"

"Well, I only know what Raines told me last night..."

"Wha-at?!" Miss Parker stared at her as Helen tried not to laugh.

She glanced at Jarod. "Should I show them?"

"It might be nice," he agreed solemnly and got up to retrieve the laptop. When he came back into the room, she stood and took David.

"I'll make some coffee while you watch that." She looked down at the boy before glancing back at Jarod and knew he understood what she was trying not to have to explain.

# # #


As she was about to carry the tray into the living room, a figure appeared in the doorway that led to the cellar and she smiled.

"How does that feel, Steve?"

"Weird." He wriggled slightly. "I guess I'll just have to get used to it, huh?"

"I think you'd rather wear normal clothes than the regulation Centre outfit, right?"

"Yes." He came over to stand next to her. "Did he mean it, everything he said?"

"Every word, Steve." Putting the tray down, she hugged him gently. "Every single word."

He smiled at her before going over to the door. Just before opening it, however, the young man paused and listened before turning, an expression of near-terror on his face, and Helen quickly went over to him, putting a hand on his arm.

"What is it, Steve? Tell me what's wrong."

"It's not… it couldn't be… he said… "

"Who?"

"S… Sydney." The color had faded from his face and she pulled up a chair so he could sit on it, afraid that he was going to pass out.

"What did he tell you about Sydney?"

"He…" Steve's eyes filled with tears as he sank onto the chair. "He told me Sydney was dead."

"When did you and Sydney work together?"

"A few years ago." The tears dripped down onto the hands that Steven had let fall helplessly into his lap. "But then one day he didn't come and the other man came instead."

"Raines," Helen stated softly and he nodded.

"He said that Sydney had died and that he would be working with me now."

She knelt in front of him. "Steve, who do you believe, me or him?"

"I… I want to believe you if you'll tell me he's alive but he said…"

Helen put a hand on the side of his face. "Steve, please, do try to believe me when I tell you that Sydney is still alive."

He clung to her other hand, tears increasing, as he leaned forward, and his head came to rest on her shoulder. She put an arm around his shoulder as he began to sob softly. Looking up, Helen saw Jarod in the doorway, an expression of concern on his face.

"Sydney."

The word was mouthed, but he nodded and, taking David, left the room. A moment later the psychiatrist appeared, silently shutting the door as he entered.

"Steve." She put gentle pressure on his shoulder until he lifted his head, looking down at her face, the tears still pouring down his own. "Do you believe me when I say to you that Sydney's still alive and that Raines lied to you?"

"I… I want to. I want to, so much."

"And if I showed him to you, would that make it easier?"

"M… maybe."

"Try, Steve." The psychiatrist stepped forward and put a hand on the younger man's shoulders. "Try to believe that he lied to you."

Helen got to her feet and stepped away, watching silently as Steve remained still, his gaze fixed to the floor, and Sydney moved to stand in front of him, bending down so that he could look into the younger man's eyes.

"Steve, it's me. I promise."

"He said…"

"I know what he said to you, but it isn't true. When Jarod escaped, I was told that it was my job to concentrate on finding him, so Raines would take over from me. There wasn't anything I could do about it. I wanted to come and see you, to tell you it all, but by the time I tried, you'd already been moved and I had no idea where you were. I didn't know that you'd been told that I'd died. If I had known, I would have made far greater efforts to find you but I promise that I had no idea." Sydney raised a hand and wiped the tears from the other man's face, his voice soft. "It's wonderful to see you again."

# # #


"If I could get hold of Raines right now..."

"Join the queue, Sydney." Helen looked up with a small smile as the psychiatrist appeared in the doorway. "There are a few other people ahead of you. Just take a number and wait your turn."

"Besides, Syd,” the other woman commented, “you had a go a few years back. It's not our fault your aim's bad."

The psychiatrist's lips twisted into a bitter smile as he sat down, his gaze resting on the boy who sat in Jarod's lap, listening to the discussion silently but with wide eyes.

"Is he asleep?"

"Yes," the older man affirmed in response to Jarod's question.

"He needs it." Ethan spoke quietly. "I don't know if he slept at all last night. Every time I woke up, I heard him moving around his room."

"I should measure the carpet pile and see how worn down it is," Helen joked.

"Besides Syd, let the Triumvirate have their fun too. This is his first serious try at wresting power from them. Once they've chewed him up and spat out the bones, I'm sure they'll let you have a turn."

The psychiatrist looked at Helen as Miss Parker finished this statement. "Do you know how that's going?"

"Strangely enough, I've been a little busy this morning, Sydney. I'm finding that two young children, and," she grinned at Jarod, "at least one big kid limits the amount of spare time that a person has, even for something as fun as watching my brother explode."

"And you're going to keep them?"

"There's nobody left to claim them, Miss Parker." Helen spoke softly, looking at the other woman. "You know what happened to his parents." She nodded slightly in the direction of the small boy.

"And Steve?"

"If he wants to find his family - and I have no doubt that he'll want to try - I'll help him as much as I can. He's not ready for that yet, though. Not having intended to escape the Centre, Steve has no definite plan in mind. He has to find one before he can begin to work out what he wants from the world. Equally," she added in quiet tones. "He doesn't know what would have happened if I'd left him there."

Miss Parker nodded. "And my brother?"

"He isn't."

Helen watched the woman's eyes widen and could see the shock on the faces of the other people the room.

"What do you mean, 'he isn't'?"

"I mean he's no relation to you at all except that your step-mother gave him life, if you wanted to count that as a relationship. After we got back from Blue Cove, earlier this morning, I did a little research. Brigitte was artificially inseminated, your father and the Triumvirate having sanctioned the process, and Raines was never meant to know anything about it. Lyle only learned about it on the day of my theft. That's what he meant when he said that it seemed as if you weren't the only person your father was keeping secrets from. Lyle had just found out the primary details when his father called to inform him of my robbery, and he was still smarting from finding there were things he hadn't been told when he appeared in the Tech Room. That’s what prompted his comment."

"So who's Michael's real mother?"

Helen looked over at the baby with eyes that were infinitely sad. "Michael doesn't have one."

"So… is he… a clone?" Jarod asked disjointedly.

She nodded. "After the 'success' as they saw it, of Jon, they did it again and this baby is the final result of that."

"And who...?"

As Helen hesitated, Sydney leaned forward. "It's Eddie, isn't it?"

"Yes." She examined the floor for a moment before looking up. "Something made me suspicious almost immediately. I think it's his eyes. The information was hard to find, but it’s there. Brigitte's reappearance was perfect timing as none of the other surrogate mothers had carried to term. She was the nearest match in blood and tissue type they had found, and the fact she would die giving birth was felt to be a bonus. It meant she wouldn't be able to tell anyone later."

"A… are you telling me,” Miss Parker spluttered, “that my father married her to get her pregnant, knowing it would kill her, just so that the Centre could get another pretender?"

"Yes," responded Helen softly.

A denial was on the tip of Miss Parker's tongue but she looked from the doctor to the baby lying in her brother's arms and suddenly the words wouldn't come.

"Can I ask something?"

Broots broke through the awkward silence with this question and Helen sent him a grateful glance as she responded. "Go for it."

"If Michael's the clone of Eddie, who I’ve always understood to have been as good a pretender as Jarod, how can he have been found to be lacking in skills?"

"Eddie wasn't a natural Pretender." Sydney responded to this softly. "I did a little research of my own after Raines disappeared and found that although Eddie had the genetic predisposition, it was only the training he received at the Centre that enabled him to be classed with Jarod. The Centre has, in fact, only ever had two people with innate pretender abilities."

"Jarod and who else?"

"Unsurprisingly, Jonathon. The person that trained Eddie also trained Jonathon while he was at Donoterase."

"So why...?"

"That man was found dead at home two weeks after Jarod was recaptured and his dad rescued Jon," Helen responded softly. "I haven't been able find out if there's a link, but there might be."

"And who ordered it?"

"The same person," Helen looked at Miss Parker, "who married your step-mother for the reasons you stated earlier."

"And where does Steve fit into all this?" Broots asked.

Sydney looked up. "Steven was brought to the Centre in 1972 and put under the care of the same person who would also train Eddie, Jonathon and several other pretenders too. When that person was sent to Donoterase, so that they could be involved with the pretenders far earlier in life, in the early 90's, Steven was put under my supervision. Then Jarod escaped. The Triumvirate felt that it was more likely for the team to find Jarod and for him to retain contact with the Centre if I was on it. That's the reason Steven was taken from my ca… direction and put under Raines'."

"You weren't going to say 'care', were you, Sydney?" Helen grinned at him. "The juxtaposition of 'Raines' and 'care' seems a bit odd."

"And David?"

Helen looked fondly at the small boy, who had fallen asleep in Jarod's lap. "In all the information I received, his folder was amongst it. When I saw how young he was, and who was overseeing his work, I couldn't bear to leave him behind."

"Where did the information come from?" Miss Parker asked.

Helen firmly closed her mouth, her eyes still fixed on the child.

"Helen?" Sydney prompted.

"I'm not willing to put another person in jeopardy by telling you. Maybe one day when that person is safe, I will, but not until then."

"Is David the latest arrival?" Broots queried.

"As far as I know, yes. And there's been a substantial gap since the last attempt which, of course, we're pretty much all aware of, because most of us were either there are the time or heard about it later."

"Davy Simpkins?" Sydney suggested.

Helen nodded. "Jarod's rescue of the child frustrated the Centre and NuGenesis' attempt to start the Prodigy program again. When David's parents came to NuGenesis to conceive, Dr. DeWitt was their consultant and, after testing, found the pretender anomaly in David's mother's blood. The Centre, while willing to abduct helpless children, doesn't enjoy doing the same to adults who might be able to actually fight back, so they had to wait until the child was born. According to the accurate file that Raines had hidden behind his filing cabinet - and I'll have to go and see what's behind the ones in Mr. Parker's office one day - NuGenesis provided a nanny for David and then arranged for the brake line on his parents' car to be severed." Helen glanced at Miss Parker. "It seems to be a popular spot for them to aim for."

"And so...?"

"The file contained a newspaper clipping of a car that went over a cliff, sparking a forest fire. The sweepers, sent to oversee the 'accident' to ensure its happening, confirmed that the car was that owned by David's parents and that a man and a woman were inside it, but the heat of the fire was so great that the bodies literally incinerated. Testing to prove their identities was impossible. Still, I think it's a fair enough assumption to say that the people inside the car were David's father and mother."

"Raines kept the clipping?" Sydney asked in a horrified tone.

"Well, unless somebody knew I was coming and planted it there, just to make the guy look a little bit worse than he already is, I'd say so, wouldn't you?"

"Why do they wait so long?"

"Who?" Jarod looked at Broots as if the technician had grown an extra arm.

"The Centre. Why wait until a child's four or six? Why not take them at Michael's age?"

"Sydney?" Helen looked up with a glance that was almost bitter. "You'll be most likely to know the answer to that one. What's the difference between someone of the age that Jarod was when they abducted him and one younger?"

"Understanding and experience," the psychiatrist responded quietly. "A pretender is better able to understand what is required of them if they've had some time out in the world before being brought into an environment of restricted mental as well as physical stimulation."

"Spoken like a true textbook," the doctor responded emotionlessly.

There was a moment of silence before Broots spoke. "So what will you do?"

"Bring these children up to be happy, healthy and intelligent." She half-smiled. "I think that last point will be rather easy."

"How did you know the information on David was wrong?" Miss Parker asked.

"The folder had a few of the items circled and with question marks next to them, in my brother's handwriting," she added with meaning. "I don't somehow think that coup attempt will have been as much of as surprise to him as Raines was hoping."

"So what's going to happen now?"

"Mr. Parker will probably be questioned until tomorrow and then his part in the T-Board will stop. Raines' will probably continue a little longer."

"Why will Daddy's stop?" Miss Parker's voice was sharp.

"For the same reason that your supposed brother's life was in danger. The man who has been protecting him from being discarded as worthless will be permanently removed from all future chances at a coup."

"Y...you mean...?"

"You know exactly what I mean, Miss Parker. All the details that I found - and all of them had to do with an anonymous 'rumor', the meaning of which should be known to at least one individual in this room - suggests that the Triumvirate has been aware of his actions for a while now. It will be slow, painful and final, and, despite any or all warnings he receives, it will still happen, one way or another."

"Your brother...?"

"My brother won't get his hands dirty. There are plenty of dogsbodies to do work like that for him. That's one of the benefits of having a top job."

"Just how secure is his position?"

Helen laughed. "My dear Miss Parker, my brother owns the Centre. All the assets are registered under his name, the property titles are in his strongbox and the profits line his pockets."

"And you're depriving him of some of those profits," commented Jarod in amusement.

"Sibling rivalry. I could try to be jealous if that would help.

"But you're not?"

"Jealous of what? Why would I want to trade my constantly changing, exciting lifestyle, where I get interaction with interesting people, for a lifestyle of constantly having to look over my shoulder and being mistrustful of my co-workers, with just one single benefit being that of money. The one way for my brother to lose any of his power is if someone was to assassinate him, and he must be aware of that. If they were determined to do it, not all of his fortune would save him. I can get any money I need, so why be jealous?" She smiled. "I was brought up Catholic and, while I don’t agree with every one of their doctrines, I see no point in having a fortune that you can't take with you when you die. In a position like his, he would have to be constantly aware of the threat of death."

"And instead you help people to recover from that same threat."

"Exactly." She laughed softly. "I think I get the better end of the deal. Maybe that's a point I should mention and then he can be jealous of me."

As if her amusement was a signal, the boy in Jarod's lap lifted his head and held out his arms.

"Did you have a nice sleep, sweetie?" Helen asked as she took him.

"Uh huh." David snuggled up against her, his head on her shoulder and his arms wrapped around her neck.

"You see?" She looked over at Miss Parker. "I really do have a wonderful life."

# # #


Helen tucked in the plastic sheet before putting the fitted sheet on the mattress and dropping it in position in the baby's crib. She securely tied on the padding that would protect the infant from the wooden bars and then, tucking in a blanket at the foot of the crib, she spread it smoothly over the mattress. Finally, she put a small teddy bear into the corner of the bed, and stepped back, almost falling over the man who stood silently behind her.

"Sydney! Do you want to at least let me know you're there?"

"Surely that spoils all the fun, doesn't it?" He smiled and glanced around. "Did the two of you buy all this today?"

"If we had, we’d have need a truck to carry it all home. No, most of it's from when I was a baby. It was in storage for years but, when I purchased this house, I got nearly all of it transferred here."

"So despite the fact that you knew that you could never have children…?"

"I couldn’t ever bear to throw it away." Helen sat in the rocking chair that had been brought down from the attic. "On several occasions, I thought that I should have a big clearing-out of things, but somehow I could never do it. Maybe it's just an attachment to parents I couldn't really remember, but now it seems lucky I didn't." She looked at him for a minute in silence. "I'm sorry, Sydney."

"What for?" He looked startled. "Why are you apologizing?"

"I was taking out on you the anger that I couldn't take out on Raines. The things I said earlier and the way I said them were unpardonable, but I hope you will forgive them."

"Helen, you're allowed to be angry."

"But not to somebody who has no responsibility."

"Perhaps I do."

"Not in these cases." She smiled faintly. "Unless, of course, you snuck back to the Centre every night when we thought you were in bed to help arrange David's abduction."

He laughed. "No, I guarantee I wasn't doing that. But the anger you felt towards me for my treatment of Jarod surely extends to the way I treated Steve."

"Let me check the DSA archives and I'll let you know. I haven't really paid all that much attention to anybody else at the Centre except Jarod and Eddie. It took five years before I found out about Alex, and only then because he forced himself on my notice by his actions."

Sydney nodded before looking at her closely. "Can you cope with bringing up this boy who will, after all, become Eddie?"

"He won't, Sydney. Cloning creates the same person genetically, but that isn't the same person, either mentally or emotionally."

The psychiatrist looked at her narrowly. "Is that the doctor's mind or the mother's heart speaking now?"

"Mother?" Helen looked startled. "Sydney, I'm not..."

"Helen, don't make the mistake I made with Jarod. These two children are going to think of you as their mother, even if they don't call you that. If you're unable to deal with that then find them foster families where people will be willing for it to happen. The last thing these boys need is to grow up with you in the role of the absent parent and for you to spend the rest of your life denying that that is your position in their lives."

She could see the pain in his eyes as he watched her. "Believe me, if you know that a child thinks of you in that role, it makes it even more difficult, and you've got enough problems to look forward to, trying to make these children into people you can be proud of."

"My expectations aren't high."

"Happy and healthy? But, in circumstances like these, when you have to mould a child into an adult, that's only the beginning."

"Are you admitting that your professional demeanor cracked, Doctor?" she asked wryly.

"Cracked?" He laughed. "It smashed into a million pieces the moment I first laid eyes on Jarod."

"And yet you never told him that?"

"No, and that's been another of my greatest mistakes."

# # #


Helen descended the stairs, after having made the other beds, and picked up the little boy who ran towards her, before glancing around.

"Where is everybody?"

"Jarod, Steve and Broots are down in the cellar, setting things up." Sydney gave her a significant smile. "And Miss Parker and Ethan are making lunch for us all."

"Michael?"

The psychiatrist nodded his head in the direction of the beanbag, and Helen saw Debbie cradling the baby, who was peacefully asleep in her arms, as the girl read another of the books. Smiling faintly, Helen came to join him on the sofa.

"So, how are they going?"

"Both men are refusing to admit anything."

"And what was Raines' reaction to a certain sound file?"

"He denied very vigorously that it was him. Funnily enough, I don't think that your brother believes him."

"How very odd." She rolled her eyes, laughing. "If Mr. Parker knew what the fates had in store for him, I think he'd be talking more."

"Well, I think he's about to talk a lot more anyway."

"Really?" She looked at him, an eyebrow raised. "And why?"

"Your brother decided to disregard your advice."

"Oh, no." Helen stared at him in dismay. "Not really."

"What's wrong with that?"

She rose and, David still in her arms, began to pace the floor. "If my brother uses that drug, he'll find that Mr. Parker responds normally to it, not collapsing, and it'll probably convince him that your situation was a one-off. That might mean he'll use it on Miss Parker, and I can't leave these children alone to go and help her."

"No, you certainly can't do that," he agreed. "But he discussed it with the other two members of the Triumvirate and they made the decision to use the same one as he was treated with during his last session. It seems your report created enough concern for them to arrive at that decision very quickly."

"So that means..."

"They're still holding off on the use of those drugs until the testing has been done and it's a pretty low priority right now."

"What's their highest priority?"

"Several deals that were due to be sold within two weeks, and have now been put back a number of months."

"I'll bet." She grinned, sitting back down on the sofa, a look of relief on her face. "But I don't think the Triumvirate should count on them being in sellable condition for even longer."

"Why, what will you do?"

"The same thing I've been doing for years."

"Helen, you can't!" Sydney leaned forward earnestly. "Do you know what that would do to these children, if you never came home?"

"Jarod would bring them up."

"They need a mother."

"Let me amend that. Jarod, Margaret, Emily, Ethan, Jon and Charles would bring them up."

"They need you."

She looked dissatisfied but remained silent. The psychiatrist looked at her closely for a moment before continuing.

"Helen, you can't put yourself in danger like that anymore, especially now that you have people relying on you for support. You have to think of these children before you do anything that might put your life in danger, and going back to the Centre, sister of the head of the Triumvirate or not, is still putting yourself at risk. The Triumvirate won't need the details on the mainframe. Your visit to the infirmary and subsequent disappearance, particularly considering what happened inside of twelve hours after that, is going to be enough."

There was a small smile on her face as she looked up at him. "Sydney, the one piece of proof the Triumvirate has that I was even there was that report I gave to them about you. There's no DSA footage of me, no sign-in card, nothing."

"How...?" the psychiatrist demanded.

"After I got the information about these three..."

"From Angelo," he interrupted.

She looked at him narrowly. "I won't confirm that."

"You don't have to. I'm already well aware that it was him."

"Performing your old trick as a know-all sage to ensure your survival again?"

"Something like that." He hid a smile and looked at her. "How did you do it?"

Standing, she reached into her pocket and took out a flat case that she gave to him. Recognizing it, he opened it and took out the first DSA. "This is...?"

"Footage from the infirmary from the day that you were there and the next day until I left. The next DSA is your T-Board. My brother didn't like having transcribers in with him - I'm not sure whether you noticed that it was just you, them and a sweeper or two - and used the DSA footage to review the sessions. Before Michael woke up this morning, I checked on my brother and he knows it's gone. It's another thing that annoyed him when he found out about it." Helen laughed, before becoming more serious. "I also stole my sign-in card while I was leaving yesterday and destroyed it before you saw me shopping."

"And it's the last time you should risk your safety by ever going there." Sydney nodded toward the small boy on her lap, his fingers wrapped around her index finger tightly, silently listening to the conversation. "It's natural for these children to become attached to you - and even Steven's done that to a considerable degree already. You can't break their hearts for a second time, just as you couldn't have done that to Debbie by leaving."

"But if the Centre isn't neutralized, these children will have to have the same sort of life that Jarod does."

"Who says you have to do it?"

Helen looked at him skeptically. "Who else is there? Realistically, Sydney, name people who could do it? Jarod - too dangerous, and that point counts for the rest of his family as well; Miss Parker - loyalty to her father's too strong; you - danger just as great as with Jarod and his family; Broots - would put his daughter in too much danger..."

"You - would be the destruction of these children." He glanced at Michael. "You do have to begin thinking about other people now."

"You said that already."

"And you weren't convinced." He smiled. "I've had more than thirty years of trying to force facts into Jarod's obstinate mind and I know how long it takes. You two aren't all that different."

"And that's why these children would be just as good with him as with me, so I'm not going to be concerned if they catch me." She smiled faintly. "And they have to do it first."

"Do you think they won't? Do you remember how tight security was after the other three escaped, or tried to?"

"Of course. I was watching it."

"And you'd go back into that hornet's nest willingly?"

"I wasn't planning to go today, Sydney," she responded drily.

"No, I would hope you wouldn't. But you were planning to go sometime."

"How else can I get hold of the necessary information if I'm not there?"

"There's always us."

She gave him an exasperated look. "I thought I'd already clarified that point."

"Maybe you're not the only obstinate one."

"I know I'm not." She rolled her eyes. "Sydney, I'm not putting the two of you, or Debbie, Michelle or Nicholas at risk by asking you to do that. And I know that Miss Parker wouldn't be willing to do it. Despite the shock she’s received today, the virtual brain washing that her father's been giving her since her mother died is too powerful to be broken down just by hearing a few home truths."

"His death might do it."

"Break down that loyalty?" Helen laughed softly. "Somehow, I doubt it. Still, all we can do is wait and see." She looked up to see the other woman in the doorway, a look of shock on her face, and gave a weak smile. "Not that she knew any of that until just now, of course."
Part 17 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 17



Ashe, New York
Helen carried the little boy down the stairs and into the cellar, watching to make sure that his eyes were still tightly closed. Coming into the room, she could hardly hold back a gasp of shock at the sight, and looked sharply at Jarod, who was studying the floor with intensity, his eyes dancing as he subtly watched her. Laughing, she nodded her head and he started it up.

"Okay, sweetie. You can look now." She kissed David as he opened his eyes and stared at the table, an expression of amazement and delight on his face.

"Whose is that?"

"It's yours, baby."

"Really?"

"Mmm hmm." She put him down before glaring at the Pretender as he came to stand beside her. "Well, you three took your sweet time."

"We had to test it and make sure it worked."

Helen snorted derisively. "Yes, I'll bet you did. I'm willing to bet that the assembly took all of about twenty minutes and the next hour was spent 'testing' it." She glanced at Steve. "Considering how at home he is with this and not having seen anything like this since he was six years old, that tells me you've been 'playing' not 'testing'."

"Aren't they the same?" Jarod looked at her in mock-astonishment. "I was sure those two things were identical!"

"Then I suspect that this train set will get a lot of 'testing', won't it?"

"Very possibly, yes."

Hiding a smile, Helen watched Steve and David playing with the toy, her eyes glowing as she saw the expressions on their faces. Jarod gently touched her arm and she turned to him.

"What were you and Sydney talking about?"

"How do you know we were talking about anything?"

"Broots told me, when I came up to get something, that it sounded like the two of you were having some serious conversation but he couldn't understand what the topic was through the closed door."

"So why should I tell you?"

"Because the fact that you're not telling me is enough to tell me that it’s something you don't want to tell me."

"So if I don't want to tell you, why would I tell you when you ask me to tell you?"

"Because, if you don't tell me, I'll ask Sydney to tell me."

"And why would he tell you?"

"Because I'll be the one asking him to tell me."

She snorted again. "I love your logic. It's so male."

He raised an eyebrow and leaned against the wall, his arms folded. "Isn't that just a little sexist?"

"It's very sexist, but if you try to insult me, David will probably get upset, the way he did this morning. Besides, your insults have no impact on me at all."

"Why is it that kids defend you so much?"

"They know I love them."

"And you don't love adults?"

"Only when they behave like kids." She eyed him, hiding a smile. "With one or two exceptions, of course."

"I think I've just been insulted," he remarked.

"If you choose to take it that way." Hiding a laugh, Helen shrugged and went over to play with the train set.

# # #


"Do you understand it now, Debbie?"

"Mmm hmm."

The girl bent over the book and began working on another example as Helen leaned back in her chair. Ethan carried in a mug and put it on the table in front of her.

"Where is everyone? Still playing with that train?"

He smiled. "Jarod, Broots, Steve and David are. My sister and Sydney are having some serious conversation."

"Something else of no great shock today." She smiled. "And did you put Michael to bed alright?"

"I think so. He went to sleep pretty fast, so I guess I must have."

She smiled. "And you said I was nervous."

"I've never had anything to do with small children before."

"I've never lived with them before. I've only ever treated them."

"You're putting on a very convincing act, then."

"That could be possible." She paused. "Are you planning to stay around for a while longer or were you wanting to get going again?"

"If you need me, I'll stay."

"Ethan, answer my question."

He gave her a small smile. "I thought I might go visit Dad and the others for a few days."

"That sounds like a good idea." She put a hand on his. "But you know that you've got a room here whenever you want it."

"Thanks, Helen." He gave her another, larger smile, standing up. "But right now I want to see how they're going with that train set."

"You mean you want to play with it, too." She rolled her eyes. "Maybe it's not just when adults are sick that they become kids again."

# # #


Helen opened the door to the baby's room and walked inside, closing it softly and going over to the crib. Looking down, she found the boy solemnly gazing up at her as he held the teddy firmly in his arms. A smile lit her face and Michael smiled in response, scrambling to his knees and pulling himself to his feet with assistance from the bars. Laughing, she picked him up.

"Were you waiting for me, sweetheart?"

Snuggling close to her, he cooed softly as she carried him over to the old-fashioned change table, another relic of her childhood, and gently put him down, easing off the newly-purchased sleeping suit and dressing him in a pair of pants and warm top, folding up the suit and putting it aside.

"Hungry, Michael?"

"I bet he is."

"Oh, really?" Helen turned to find Jarod in the doorway. "How do you know that?"

"Because I'm hungry." He glanced at his watch, laughing. "Are you too insulted to make dinner?"

"Well, I might make it for everybody else."

Jarod rolled his eyes. "You did that one already."

"And it was very effective. I had you literally begging on your knees."

"I'm just glad that none of my family saw that."

"Sydney did."

"That was bad enough."

"Aw!" Helen turned, her face wearing an expression of sympathy. "Did the poor little Pretender get his feelings wounded?"

"Little?" A laughing voice from the doorway prevented Jarod from answering. "How can anybody possibly call him 'little'?"

"Who says I was talking about his stature?" Helen laughed, turning to Sydney. "I could have been referring to his mental abilities."

# # #


"Mommy, when will I see you again?"

Helen hugged the girl. "I'm not sure when I'll be in Blue Cove again, sweetie, but you can call me every night, if you want. And we can talk to each other using the computer, meaning that we'll be able to see each other too."

"And, when we get vacation in two weeks, can I come visit?"

"If your dad thinks it's okay, Debbie, I'd love for you to."

"Even with David and Michael here?"

"I'm going to need your help, sweetheart. Ethan's going to see his family and I'll never want to rely on Jarod hanging around."

"Are you going to be their mom too?"

"If they want me to be."

"So does that make me their kind-of big sister?"

"That's right."

"Cool." Debbie gave the doctor one final hug and then got into the car, waving as Sydney started the vehicle and drove away from the house. Helen turned to find Jarod beside her.

"Are you suggesting I'm unreliable?"

"Completely. A person turns around and you've vanished - or at least that's the complaint I hear most often from your second cousin."

"You're loving the fact that that relationship exists, aren't you?"

"Well, there is a certain enjoyable irony in it." Helen led the way in, the smile on her face fading to a more serious expression. "At least it will give her a family again, considering she's about to lose her father."

"A family that she can't really afford to visit."

"That's true, but your mother promised to write to her and I think that can only be helpful."

# # #


"Do you like it, David?"

"Yup." He scrambled up into her lap as she sat on the sofa. "But you didn't play it with me."

"There were so many other people, honey, that I thought you had enough."

"Will you play it with me tomorrow?"

"I'd love to."

"Goody." He put both arms around her neck and rested his head on her shoulder, giving a little yawn. "And will you take me shopping tomorrow?"

"What sort of shopping, baby? For food or other things?"

His response was drowsy. "Will you buy me some books?"

"Definitely, sweetie. I'll buy you lots of books, and toys, and yummy things to eat, like I promised last night."

Nodding slightly, he nestled closer and closed his eyes, giving a sigh, before falling asleep. Jarod looked over with a grin.

"You've got to teach me how to do that."

"Why? It's nice to have a trick that even the genius doesn't know." Cautiously, the doctor rose to her feet, but the boy continued to sleep. "I'm going to put him to bed. When I come back down, we'll need to find out how things have been going all day." She laughed softly. "It feels weird. I haven't been this out of the loop in months."

"What an awful pity!" Jarod seized his laptop. "We can't possibly have that, can we? We'll have to do something about it immediately."

"Oh, stop sucking up, Jarod. It's painful. In fact, it's worse than the begging was."

"I can't suck up, I can't beg, I can't insult you - what other options do I have?"

"Well," she told him from the top of the stairs. "You could always come down with an illness of some description again..."

# # #


Lyneham, New York
With a smile, Helen wiped the last of the ice cream off the boy's face as he licked the spoon.

"Helen?"

"Yes, baby?" She finished her fruit sorbet. "What's up?"

"How come Steve didn't come?"

"He stayed to talk to Jarod, David."

"Will he come next time?"

"He might, we'll see." She stood up. "It's time to keep moving, sweetheart. We've still got a bit of shopping to do."

Gently she picked Michael up from the high chair and sat him into the stroller, strapping him in, before helping David up on the step behind the baby. Dumping the rubbish into a bin, she put her bag on her shoulder and then pushed the stroller away from the table. David twisted around so that he could see her face.

"Are you going to buy me books, now, like you said last night that you would?"

"Definitely, honey. I want you growing up to know a lot and you can do that much better if you read lots of books now."

"Do you read a lot?"

She smiled at the curiosity on his face as he watched her. "I sure do."

"So does that mean you know a lot too?"

"I guess so." Helen steered the stroller into the bookstore and over to a corner where the brightly colored children's books were shelved. She put the baby where he could see the rows of picture books and glanced at David as the boy began to look through books that were meant for children several years older.

"You know," a voice from behind her commented casually. "I was positive these kids belonged in Delaware."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Here, Steve."

Jarod handed the mug to the younger man and sat opposite him, grinning as the man hesitated. "I thought you trusted me."

"I do - sort of."

"So why trust me less here than in the Centre?"

"Because we were supervised there."

The prompt response made Jarod laugh. "Do you trust Helen?"

"I think so."

"So why her more than me?"

"I only said I thought so, Jarod."

"But you do trust her."

"I didn't, at first. But Angelo was there."

"That helps," Jarod agreed.

"Was Angelo there when you first saw Helen?"

"No, he wasn't. Helen and I first met when she hit me with her car."

The younger man's eyes were wide. "Why would she...?"

"Oh, it wasn't on purpose," Jarod assured him. "I wasn't paying attention and ran out in front of her."

"Why weren't you paying attention?"

"I was being chased at the time."

"Does that happen a lot?"

"Not as much as it used to, but sometimes, yes."

"And will it happen to me?" There was a suggestion of fear in Steve's eyes.

"If you don't contact the Centre or leave hints of where you are, no. As Helen told you, you are safe here. They have no idea where you are, as we heard them say last night."

"So how did they...?"

"I didn't have help, Steve. Nobody gave me hints or answered my questions after I escaped, so I felt like I had to ring Sydney for answers. It meant the Centre was able to keep track of me more easily. Also, I didn't have money, so I had to steal from accounts of the Centre itself, meaning that they only had to keep an eye on the source to have a better idea of where I might be."

"Why would you need money?"

Jarod swallowed the exclamation that sprang to his lips, recalling his own naïveté in the first few weeks after his escape, and responded calmly. "The world runs on money and it's not really that possible to survive without it. But for now, Helen will buy the things you'll need until she can help establish you with work and security."

"Work?" The flicker of fear reappeared and Jarod spoke hurriedly.

"It's different work now, better and easier, at least partly because you get the chance to work with other people, but also because the things you use are real. Once you've had time to get used to things, you can find an area that interests you. We'll both help you find a job doing something you get interested in."

"What do you do?"

"Everything," Jarod smiled, before becoming more serious. "Because the Centre wants me back so badly, it's safer if I move around, doing a lot of different things."

"So you won't stay here?"

"No, Steve, I can't. I’d love to, but it's not safe, not just for me, but because that might draw the attention of the Centre here."

"But," Steve looked confused, "weren't they here yesterday? Sydney said he was on the team to catch you, and Helen said last night that the other two people are also trying to find you."

"Things changed a little," Jarod assured him. "Officially, it's still their job, but the woman who was there..."

"Miss Parker?"

"Yes. We found out a few days ago that we're related. Our mothers were cousins."

"And that makes a difference?"

"To a person as much with loyalty to family as Miss Parker, yes, it makes quite a difference. But the relationship we have was changing before that anyway."

"And Sydney?"

"You don't understand my relationship with Sydney? I thought you, of all people, would be able to."

"I think I do."

Jarod nodded at the mug in the man's hand. "Cocoa's better hot than cold."

"Oh, right."

# # #


Lyneham, New York
"And I was sure that's where you were," Helen replied, before throwing her arms around the man who stood behind her. "It's been ages, Sam. I missed you."

"I missed you, too, Helen." He hugged her before eyeing the children. "Although, if I'd come into the room with Mr. Raines the other night, I might have seen you."

"You wouldn't have remembered it. I would have made sure of that."

"So that explains why he looked like he was sleepwalking."

She laughed softly. "He was." Going over, she picked up the boy. "David, do you know Sam?"

"No." The boy shook his head vigorously and Helen smiled.

"Well, this is him. He’s another friend, and he works with the other people you met yesterday." She put him down and the boy immediately went back to the books. "So what are you doing in New York? Why aren't you combing Delaware, like everyone else?"

"I had a commission for the Big Boss."

"Oh, yes?" Helen responded calmly, a small grin on her face. "How is my brother these days?"

"Your what?!" The sweeper stared at her.

"Oh, you're one of those people I haven't mentioned that little fact to yet. Sorry, I forget."

"Are you serious?"

"Completely."

Sam rolled his eyes. "And I thought Miss Parker had a twisted family."

"Seen her lately?"

"Only yesterday, when they went off in response to sighting of Jarod in Iowa."

"Did they find him?"

"Do you think I'd tell you?"

"So they didn't." She grinned as he glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. "I know you would have told me otherwise."

"And I know you would have raced off and rescued him, like you did last time and like you did with these kids."

"Sam, I ran him over. That's not exactly helpful, is it?"

"Let's just say I was slightly suspicious when Broots found that he hadn't gone to any of the local hospitals."

"You never trusted me, Sam." She shook her head in mock sorrow.

"Hey, you're working against the agency that pays my bills."

She folded her arms, leaning against a shelf. "So turn me in."

"Now that's something I could never do." He smiled. "After all, if you weren't there, who would I have to loosen the air vent cover for?"

"Helen?"

The doctor felt David tugging at her jeans and bent down. "Have you found some that you want, baby?"

"Uh huh." The boy gave her four books. "Is that too many?"

"Not at all, sweetie. And, when we go the library tomorrow, you can get lots more there."

"Wow." He hugged her tightly. "And Steve, too?"

"Yes, I think so. He'll want some books to read as well." She helped the boy onto the stroller step and pushed it over to the cash register, the sweeper following.

"Steven, too, huh?” Sam commented. “You had a busy night."

"Do you know what would have happened if I hadn't?"

"Yes," he responded softly. "And I had every intention of preventing it."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"They're going to flip when you walk in,” Helen remarked. “Can you cope if somebody sticks a gun in your face?"

"Hey, I do it to certain people all the time. Maybe it's time for payback." He smiled at her from the passenger seat. "So who's there?"

"Steve, of course."

"Of course."

Her lips twitched. "A certain Pretender."

"Jarod?" Sam looked startled. "What's he doing there?"

"I called him for help after bringing the kids home."

"You're a children's doctor and you couldn't cope with two children?"

"Actually, it was more as comfort for Steve."

The sweeper nodded slowly. "Is that it?"

"He might have left, but the brother of a certain pretender and a certain sweeper's immediate boss."

"Ethan?" Sam laughed. "What are you doing, setting up a refuge for victims of the Centre?"

"I thought about it, but I had to wait ‘till we shut down a hospital for measles-infected pretenders and technician's daughters first."

"So that's the reason he got hit. I thought it was weird that Jarod could pay so little attention to his surroundings, you were actually able to hit him."

"Hey, my aim's pretty good."

"But you're not that cruel, unless you've changed a lot in fifteen years."

"You've seen me since then."

"On DSAs, yes. I had a hard time saying nothing when Sydney and Broots found the images of you."

"Well, I was able to prevent them from revealing too much information."

He eyed her. "Were you the reason they suddenly vanished?"

"Do you think I'd tell you?"

Sam laughed. "Thanks, you just did."

# # #


"Hello, we're back."

"About time. What were you doing, draining Raines' account?"

Jarod came out of the living room, about to continue, when he saw the black-suited figure that came in behind Helen. The man was preparing to take off through the open door when Sam put a hand on his arm.

"Hold on there, runaway. I'm not here to take you back to Delaware."

"Relax, Jarod. Sam's a friend."

"Of Raines, yes."

"Of mine, too."

Unable to release his arm, Jarod raised an eyebrow. "You're kidding, right?"

"No. We dated for several months."

The man's jaw dropped. "Now I know you're kidding."

"If I let you go," Sam's eyes twinkled as he spoke, "will you believe her?"

"In the second and a half before I bolt through the doorway, maybe," the Pretender retorted.

"Jarod, I'm serious." After firmly closing and locking the door, Helen picked up the baby from the stroller and handed him to Sam, who cradled him with one arm but kept the other hand firmly on Jarod's arm. "He's a very close friend."

"And he happens to work for the Centre."

"The same place, if you'll remember, that my brother's head of."

"That wasn't your choice."

"Nor was going out with a sweeper, which he wasn't at the time."

"Are you saying it wasn't your choice to date me?" Sam replied immediately.

"Well," Helen laughed. "If you remember you were the one who asked me out not the other way around."

"You just accepted." His hand still around Jarod's wrist, Sam managed to take advantage of the fact that Helen was standing beside him and kissed her as Jarod's eyes widened in disbelief. As she laughed and stepped away, he continued. "So that did make it your choice."

"We have an audience," she reminded him, her cheeks glowing faintly as she noticed the look on Jarod's face.

"A skeptical one. I just thought I'd prove a point." He smiled. "Besides, that's most definitely one of the things I missed about you."

"Great, five months together and that's the best thing about the whole time?"

"I said one of the things." He released his hold on Jarod's arm and sat down. "But if it makes you feel any better, I do have one or two other good memories."

"Anything in particular?"

"Nothing that can be stated in mixed company."

"'Mixed' being…?"

"Normal people and pretenders." Sam glanced at Jarod. "I'm assuming, by the fact that you haven't disappeared yet, you're a little convinced. What can I do to make you more convinced?"

"Leave without taking me with you."

"Jarod, I have no intention of taking you, Steve, Ethan, Michael or David with me. If I had, would I be sitting here, flirting?"

"Oh, is that what you call it?" Helen laughed, having recovered from her embarrassment. "I wasn't quite sure."

"What would you call it?"

"Distraction."

"Now that's something I've always been good at."

"Yes, you even distract yourself. Are you going to continue trying to persuade my guest that you mean him no harm or should I take over?"

"Oh, go ahead. It's your house."

"Jarod, I know you don't trust Sam, and with good reason, but surely you trust me by now?"

"I did, until about ten minutes ago."

"How is this situation any different from when you found out about my brother?"

"Because he's sitting in front of me. I would have reacted in exactly the same way if you'd brought your brother into the room, I promise."

"You wouldn't have been the only one." Helen laughed. "If I didn't trust Sam totally, would I have given Michael to him? You know how I feel about these children."

"I guess..."

"And, if I didn't trust him, would I have brought him back here, knowing you were here? For all I knew, your dad could have decided to call on Ethan or something. Sam is one of few people that I'd trust with my life; a very short list that got longer after I met you and your family."

Jarod glanced at the sweeper. "Have you ever helped her inside the Centre?"

"A few times. At strange hours, I've heard people in offices and guessed that it would be her, so I would volunteer to check it out. Instead of going in, though, I’d stand guard until the rooms were silent again. Also, when I'm not helping Miss Parker look for you, I keep an eye on the vent Helen uses to get in and out, making sure it's not covered up or sealed."

The Pretender slowly sank into a chair. "So what are you doing here now?"

"Helen's brother asked me to try and arrange a deal for some information, lost in the mainframe collapse, with one of their partners here. I'd finished the deal and was leaving when I saw Helen, David and Michael in the food court so I followed them into the bookstore..."

"And gave me a heart attack,” Helen broke in. “Thanks."

"What heart? You told me fifteen years ago that I'd stolen it."

"I was soppy and romantic then."

"So you didn't mean it?" Sam tried to look hurt and she laughed.

"Nice try but I don't believe that, any more than anyone believes my innocent act, and that's not convincing either." She touched his hand. "Are you due back at the Centre tonight?"

"No, the deal went ahead faster than expected. I don't have to return to Delaware until tomorrow."

"And do you have somewhere to stay?"

Sam looked at her out of the corner of his eye as Michael clutched his finger. "Is that an invitation, Helen?"

"I haven't seen you for years, Sam. Why wouldn't I want to catch up?"

"Because I'm making your other visitors twitchy."

"Surely you’ve only got to be your usual charming self and that ought to go some way towards convincing them." She smiled. "It convinced me."

Sam glanced at Jarod. "Can you cope if I stay?"

"As long as I'm not within arm's reach,” Jarod agreed slowly, “probably."

"Well, can you go and convince your brother and Steve that I'm safe? At a guess, Steve will be a little nervous when he sees me. I came in with Sydney on several occasions before Raines took over his supervision."

Nodding slowly, Jarod rose from his seat. Before he entered the living room, Helen spoke. "We’re expecting to see all three of you for dinner. You'll still be here, right?"

As the door closed behind Jarod and David, Helen looked at over Sam. "You've never told me, in a single one of your messages, that you knew I was sneaking into the Centre."

"I was never completely positive, but I read Jarod's simulation results from when he was given the intruder's print. It sounded so much like you that I just made that assumption, and then I couldn't bear the thought that they might catch you."

Helen tightened her hold on his hand. "I missed you, Sam."

"I missed you, too, Helen. There were a lot of times that I thought about throwing away the Centre job and coming back to Minnesota, just to be near you again."

"By which time, I was probably already living in New Jersey."

"Why didn't you tell me that?"

She smiled faintly. "I had such a hard time after you left and if you felt the same way, I didn't want to make it harder for you."

"It wasn't easy," he admitted as he released the hold on her hand before reaching into his pocket and pulling out his wallet. "I've even still got your photo, see?"

He showed her the picture and she smiled.

"If the Centre had ever seen that while the mainframe was still active, you could have been in all sorts of trouble."

"What do you know about that?"

"You just told Jarod about it."

"What else? I don't believe for a minute that you weren't involved."

Her eyes widened. "Now why would I do something nasty like that?"

"As you said, Helen, nobody believes your innocent act, particularly not me."

"Well," she admitted, with a grin. "I might have had a bit to do with it."

"And the theft from Mr. Parker's office too?"

"Whose T-Board did you work at?"

"Willie's 'friend'."

"Cox?" Helen laughed. "Someone should have told Cox that nobody in their right mind ever trusts Willie."

"Just out of interest, Helen," he eyed her, "do you know any brunettes who work in the Centre infirmary?"

"I believe there are a couple," she replied calmly. "Are you able to be a little more specific?"

"I also worked at the T-Board after my immediate boss suddenly reappeared and Sydney passed out. I wasn't paying too much attention to her, but the doctor who responded to the Triumvirate's call seemed vaguely familiar when I though about it later." He lifted an eyebrow. "Do you have a single idea who it might have been, or were you too busy, that day, to pay any attention to the Centre?"

"Well,” she admitted, “I was rather busy after a while."

"Yes, I can imagine all of those burn victims would have kept you going, not to mention caring for Sydney." He leaned forward. "Had you completely lost your mind or did you have a good reason for it?"

"I had a very good reason for it,” she told him. “I was responsible for him collapsing like that, and I wanted to be sure that the Triumvirate believed his 'condition' was potentially too serious for him to be asked any more questions."

"What did you give him?"

"I gave all three of them an antidote to those drugs in the dispensary I knew the Triumvirate could potentially use as 'persuasion'."

"So if they use any of them on either Miss Parker or Mr. Broots...?"

"The same thing will happen. They'll be unconscious for several hours."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

The red-haired man looked down, as the door of the cell was swung open, to find Mr. Parker lying on the bed in the cell, his face contorted in agony, even after the poison had worked, and death had taken away any chance of him completing his planned coup.

"Oh, what a shame," the man murmured emotionlessly.

"Indeed," his fellow Triumvirate member commented. "Still, I'm of the opinion that we've got everything we need from him."

"I'm glad to hear it." He looked at the black-suited figure in the doorway. "Get that cleaned up and ensure that the other prisoner is made aware of the fact."

"Yes, sir," the sweeper agreed at once.

The two men walked back to the T-Board table and the first glanced at his co-member. "So, is the autopsy report already prepared?"

"Yes, sir. Everything's ready for the taping of the autopsy onto DSA and the only difference will be that it won't be Raines carrying it out."

"Wonderful." The first man rubbed his hands, grinning cruelly. "There is a certain enjoyable irony in this."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Jarod walked into the kitchen to find Helen at the sink, washing the dishes as she stared dreamily out into the gathering darkness of the garden.

"Are you serious?" he demanded at once.

She half-smiled at his tone. "About?"

"Christmas, Helen." Jarod rolled his eyes as he sat at the table. "Sam, of course. What else would I need to ask you about?"

"I had no idea, but yes, I am serious."

"So where is he now?"

"Knowing that being in my living room was making you, your brother and Steve a little nervous, he decided to go for a walk. He said he'd come back later."

"And where will you put him to sleep?"

"Well, as all three of you would be edgy if I suggested that he sleep down in the cellar, I thought he could either have the sofa in the living room, or else sleep in one of the rooms upstairs."

"Yours," Jarod stated flatly.

"Possibly."

"Did he ask you to marry him, too?"

"We never got that far. He moved to Blue Cove before that."

"Will you tell me every sordid detail?"

"No," she smiled. "Some of it's a little too private, but I'll tell you a few of the basic facts." Helen poured boiling water into two mugs, stirred in some coffee and then took them over to the table, giving one to Jarod.

"How did you meet?" he asked curiously.

"I was at medical school and Sam was doing an engineering course at a training school nearby. The med school held a dance for us all to be able to celebrate our graduation in grand style, and invited people from those nearby institutions. One of our mutual friend introduced us, he asked me to dance, and that's the way we met."

"How very clichéd," Jarod commented, rolling his eyes.

"Oh, completely." She smiled. "But it was lovely. Sam, in spite of everything you might think about him, is a very old-fashioned person."

"Yes, I noticed that every time he locked the door behind me."

"Jarod, please. I told you that I don't expect you to trust him, but he's very special to me. I don't want hear him insulted, or I might get genuinely offended, and I don't want to do that, not to you."

He nodded slowly. "Okay, sorry. I'll try to prevent myself from interrupting."

"Well, don't strain yourself." She grinned. "If you can do that, I'll try to ignore all of the interruptions that slip past your strict controls."

Jarod smiled. "Go ahead."

"As you know, I was brought up in the convent, so I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when he called the next day and asked me out. Still, I accepted, so we went for a movie and dinner. He was the perfect gentleman, escorting me home and all that. We went out casually for a few times, then, going home one night, we got caught in a rainstorm. As we were passing his apartment, he invited me in to wait for it to stop." Helen smiled, but spoke in innocent tones. "Sadly, the rain just kept on falling, so, at around midnight, he suggested I stay instead. Sam gave up his bed to sleep on the sofa."

"And you slept in his bed."

"That was the plan," she agreed, fighting to hide a smile at the expression on his face

The Pretender grinned. "You, a good Catholic girl, slept on the sofa with him?"

"You can bet that night cost me a few 'Hail Marys' in my next confession," she giggled.

He laughed. "Now that's a side of Sam I wouldn't have believed. What happened next?"

"I'd moved out of the convent because my med school was in a different state, and my apartment was bigger than his, and Sam’s lease was about to end, so I invited him to come and move in with me."

Jarod rolled his eyes. "You must have spent a while on your knees at your next confession after you two made that decision."

"They were good reasons!" Helen tried to look indignant, but Jarod laughed again.

"Since when does the Catholic church consider 'reasons'?"

"Good point. Yes, my priest was a little astonished, but my other 'confessor' said that she wasn't surprised at all."

Jarod looked at her narrowly. "That wasn't my mother, was it?"

"Actually, yes." She smiled. "How did you guess?"

"Just lucky. So after that?"

"We lived together for five months, until he got offered a job at the Centre. They were conducting a recruitment drive in the area." She smiled. "Going through their papers later, I found that they'd even considered offering me a job."

"Would you have accepted?"

"I don't know." She shrugged. "With what I know now, definitely not, but then the situation would have been very tempting. The pay's pretty good, on the surface the working conditions look good, and it would have meant that Sam and I could have stayed together."

"So he accepted?"

"He was never hugely thrilled with engineering, so it seemed like a good way to get out of it. We had several discussions about it, but eventually decided it would be silly for him to knock it back. One of the things we said was that, if he didn't like it, Sam could always resign and come back to Minnesota."

"Very likely." Jarod rolled his eyes. "Was that naïveté or...?"

"Lack of information." She eyed him. "Do you think the working agreements say 'if you ever leave, you will be hunted for the rest of your life' or something?"

"Okay, okay. So he moved to Blue Cove, and you?"

"I stayed in Minnesota, because I got a job there right after I graduated. We still wrote - in fact we never stopped writing. My last email from him was the day you and Debbie got sick - and then I got a new job in New Jersey. That's the reason why I bought the house there."

"Did he know you knew my mother?"

"He never knew it was your mother. His first letter from Blue Cove mentioned you and, on the off chance that it might have been Margaret's son he was talking about, I decided it would be better not to ask. I didn't want him to have conflicts with work and he knew how much she meant to me."

"Does she know?"

"No. I didn't want her to feel the same way that she did about Sydney. She knew about Sam, of course, but not who employed him when he moved. Perhaps she suspects, I don't know. You could ask her."

"Have you told him now?"

"Jarod, you've heard most of our conversations tonight and, trust me, the little bit of time we had alone wasn't spent on other people."

He smiled. "Will you tell him?"

"Yes. It can only put him in the same situation as Sydney and Broots are now."

"And Miss Parker."

"I have to confess that I'm still a little dubious about her. We'll have to see."

"Why would you tell him?"

"He might be helpful if we find things that still have to be done. My discussion with Sydney yesterday - the one you asked so persistently about - was him trying to convince me that I can't leave these children alone to sneak back into the Centre for files like I've been doing for so long."

"I agree with him."

"You just want the chance to be a hero," she teased.

"No,” he contradicted. “I just don't want to leave these children without you."

"Well, we'll see what happens. But Sam would be able to sneak in and out a fair bit, as required. I'll see if he's willing."

Jarod smiled faintly. "I think, if you ask him, he will be."
Part 18 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 18



Ashe, New York
Sam gently stroked Helen’s hair as she lay on his chest, and smiled as she looked up at him. "Can a two-year-old sleep through the night?"

"That one can," Helen smiled in return. "And David can, too."

"And will Jarod and Ethan still be here in the morning?"

"Yes, or at least Jarod will. We talked about it and realized that if he left, it would give Steve reason to be afraid. Although he'd be able to hide it well, Michael or David might pick up on it and that's the worst thing that could happen."

"You love those kids, don't you?" Sam stated.

"They remind me a bit of me. I just want to give them a good life."

"Do you think you can?"

"I certainly have every intention of doing so. If my brother and his friends decide to get involved, they could find life rapidly becoming unpleasant."

"Well, if you want a hand, just give me a call."

Helen looked up at him in mock-astonishment. "You'd work against the organization that, in your words, 'pays my bills'?"

"Only if you ask me to." He smiled. "I'd hate for you to leave them alone, simply in order to sneak back into the Centre, when I can get things for you."

"Sydney said that, too," she smiled.

"When?"

"When he was in 'Iowa'." She laughed at his expression. "You thought it was real, didn't you?"

"It all sounded pretty genuine,” Sam agreed, laughing. “Maybe I should insist on coming along to the next 'sighting', just to see what Miss Parker says."

"And you can come to me to have your ear-drums mended once she's finished all her yelling."

Sam laughed again, softly. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"The 'Margaret' you used to write to - I haven’t seen her 'missing' son recently, have I?"

"Pretty recently," Helen agreed, her eyes dancing with laughter.

He glanced at his watch. "Three hours ago?"

"Until he went to bed, yes." She smiled. "Did you ever suspect?"

"Once or twice, but I didn't want to mention it to you, in case it encouraged you to do exactly what you did do after you lost contact with her."

"You know me far too well."

"Is that such a problem?" he demanded.

"No, I suppose it isn't, as long as I can know you equally well."

"What am I going to suggest now?"

"Hmm." Helen paused for effect and Sam laughed. "You're going to suggest that you tell Sydney about knowing me so that you can be a part of any plan we come up with."

"Make sure you keep an eye on it. His reaction could be entertaining."

"I'll do that. And I'll give you some token to prove it to him."

"Like what?"

"I'm not sure yet, but I'll think of something."

"While you're thinking, can I change the subject?"

"You mean I have to think about two things at once?" She smiled. "Well, I guess not being male, I should be able to manage that."

"What's Jarod's reaction to your sexist taunts?" Sam asked curiously.

"The same as yours used to be before you learned to ignore them." Helen looked up. "What was it that you wanted to change the subject to?"

"You."

"I'm so glad to hear it."

Sam laughed again. "You and me. Us. I want to know if you feel able to cope with a long-distance relationship."

"Long-distance being three states?"

"Exactly."

"How often will I see you?"

"I don't know. That's why it'll be long-distance."

"On one condition."

"And that is?"

"That I get to see the papers constituting the ‘deal’ before you leave tomorrow," she smiled.

He gave her a mock-glare. "You have a one-track mind."

"Not at all! Being female, I can think about more than one thing at once, meaning that I can make connections between them."

Sam laughed. "All right, Miss 'I can take down the Centre single-handed if I want to, nerny nerny ner ner'. You've got yourself a deal."

"Now I know why my brother sent you to New York." Helen kissed him. "You're such a wonderful negotiator."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Doctor, do you have a moment?"

"Of course, Sam." Sydney looked up in surprise. "Come in."

The sweeper firmly shut the door before walking over to the psychiatrist's desk. "I was wondering - the next time all three of you go somewhere in response to a sighting of Jarod, would you mind taking me along?"

"I don't understand."

"Well, I have a strong attraction to New York - sorry, Iowa - and I'd really like the chance to visit it as often as possible."

The psychiatrist looked at the sweeper narrowly, his facial features expressionless. "I don't know what you're talking about, Sam."

"Are you sure, sir? I was talking to somebody who felt sure that they saw you on Saturday in New York - Ashe, to be precise - and was equally positive that three people answering to your descriptions were there for a number of days roughly, if not precisely, equal to the length of your mysterious disappearance last week. Sorry, four people, because a girl who looked very similar to Mr. Broots' daughter was there too, apparently."

"And who else have you mentioned this 'somebody' to?" Sydney demanded.

"Oh, nobody, sir. I thought it would be worth mentioning to you first, as you, being a doctor, would have had more to do, taking care of Debbie and the other patient when they got the measles. As far as I've been told, Mr. Broots presumably spent most of the days at his daughter's bedside, and Miss Parker, not having had the measles when she was younger, probably spent a lot of time resting, trying to build up her immune system enough to prevent herself from coming down with it, if she even got it at all, too badly." Sam paused. "But that, of course, would only have occurred if you had to act as the doctor, but there might have already been one in attendance, in which case I imagine you spent much of the time by the bed of the other patient, because of how much Jaro – I mean he, that other patient - means to you."

Sydney sat back in his chair. "All right, Sam, who is it? Who's the 'somebody'?"

"An old friend, Doctor. I happened to meet her at a shopping mall in Lyneham, New York, as I was just about to leave, having completed a deal for her broth… the head of the Triumvirate. I'm sorry, sir. I don't seem to be very articulate today. It could be to do with the fact that I'm slightly tired. I didn't get much sleep last night."

"And this 'old friend' told you all of that?"

"Yes, sir. She described it in great detail. She thought it might be useful for me to tell you, so that you could trust me enough to ask for my help, just in case any of you feel the need for help if you wanted to 'liberate' files again or something like that."

"Did she happen to mention how anybody was?" the older man queried curiously.

"Indeed she did, Doctor. She told me that Jarod in her professional opinion was well on his way to a full recovery from his bout of measles, that Ethan was totally over his exhaustion, and also that all three of the people over whose disappearance the Triumvirate are currently puzzling were also well and happy."

"And did she say anything about calling?"

"Yes sir." Sam stared hard at the phone and it obediently rang. He looked back at the psychiatrist. "Will that be all?"

"No, Sam. Stay." Sydney reached forward, activating the speaker. "All right, Helen, very funny."

"I thought it was too," she responded, laughingly. "Although my 'messenger' gave away a bit more information than I was expecting him to."

"Sorry, ma'am. I got carried away," the sweeper stated apologetically, unable to help casting an amused look at the security camera mounted on the wall.

"All right, Sam, you're forgiven."

"I'm so glad to hear it."

"What's the reason behind all this, Helen?"

"I thought he told you, Sydney. In fact I know he did, because I heard him. During a discussion that we had last night, Sam volunteered to help us when we plan the last great downfall of the Centre."

"You'd better hope that scrambler's working."

"My brother and his buddies in the middle of a T-Board with Raines right now and a problem in the security room means that all audio recordings have been turned off."

"Who did that?" Sydney demanded.

"The sage doesn't remember?” Helen retorted. “I'm disappointed."

"Oh, he remembers. He was just wondering if you were going to tell him."

"I'm not that silly, especially as both of you, although not Miss Parker who, for the information of my 'messenger', has been sitting in the corner for the entire conversation, are well aware of who I mean."

The sweeper jumped violently, turning to find his boss closely observing him, a finely manicured eyebrow raised, and Helen laughed. "I’m sorry, Sam. I was going to say something before, but I wouldn't have missed that reaction for the world."

"For that, I might not come and visit on my next day off," he retorted.

"Oh, I'm sure you will, whenever that great day might be."

"You seem to be sure about an awful lot, Helen," Miss Parker stated quietly.

"Where your personal sweeper is concerned, I can afford to be." The amusement in the woman's voice was clear. "But I wouldn't worry. I have no plan to steal him from you. Not yet anyway."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"And are you alone there or do you have company, Helen?"

The doctor glanced around the room. "Sydney, do you happen to remember that I now have two small children to care for? How can I possibly hope to be alone? And why would I want to be?"

"So who else has heard this conversation, or watched it by logging into the security system?"

"Well, not the same person who helped you after the terrible incident with your T-Board, Sydney. At least I don't think he has. That person left earlier this morning, as did his brother."

"Where to?" the other woman demanded.

"Your brother went to visit his father, Miss Parker. I'm not sure where he's going after that, but he said he'd keep in touch with both of you."

"And the others?"

"We're all well and happy, thank you for asking." She smiled, looking down at the baby who was asleep in her arms. "But, delightfully entertaining as this has been, all good things must come to an end."

"Quite,” the psychiatrist agreed. “Any longer and we'd probably get your brother coming in to ask what we thing we're doing."

"Try and remember not to say hello for me if you see him."

Helen could hear the amusement in Sydney's voice. "We'll remember. And if your loving brother should happen to ask about you?"

"You feigned ignorance to Sam very convincingly,” she reminded him. “Don't forget all your medical directions, Sydney. Flustered and unable to concentrate."

"Goodbye, Helen."

The doctor laughed as the call was firmly disconnected, glancing over at the man who had silently listened to the entire conversation.

"Is he angry with you?" Steve asked.

"No." She smiled and shook her head. "That was just part of the fun."

"Can we trust him?"

"Who?” she asked. “Sam? Sydney?"

"Both." Steven looked at her. "I mean… I know he's important to you, but…"

"Steve, I'm glad to hear that you're tentative. That suspicion is what will keep you safe from the Centre. But I believe we can trust Sydney and I know we can trust Sam. I can understand if you still have doubts, even about me…"

"How did you know?" he asked, his eyes wide.

"Because it's natural. I'm a total stranger to you. I just appeared in your room one night and took you somewhere. Apart from all that, your treatment at the hands of Raines would have instilled a sense of suspicion in you. Just about everyone has points when they're suspicious - it's normal. Even Sydney's like that sometimes," she smiled, thinking back to the car trip that brought them to her house.

"David isn't."

"Children are naturally less suspicious than adults, possibly because they've never lived through experiences to create suspicion. As a balance, though, most children seem able to detect danger better than adults. That instinct is the one thing that's kept Jarod away from Centre personnel on many occasions and, except that Sam prevented it, would have had him running last night."

"He didn't run away from you."

"The first thing I did was get him out of danger and that gave him reason to trust me at first. That trust was shaken slightly but, by having one of Jarod's family beside him when he came around, he began to trust me again."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

The man replayed the DSA footage of the autopsy for the fourth time and the small smile on his face widened. Slipping out the disc, he put in another, allowing him to clearly see the man's death throes as he succumbed to poison that had been administered through his final meal.

"Still reveling?"

Starting, the redhead looked up to see another of the other Triumvirate members enter the room. "Reveling, no. Quietly relishing it." He shrugged and flicked off the machine. "After all, he would have done a similar thing to us if that coup had gone ahead."

"Yes, that's true."

"You're doing well with Raines' T-Board."

"I appreciate the compliment, but it's infuriatingly slow. If only we could use those drugs, it would at least be tolerable, but this is like having teeth pulled."

The man sat back in his chair. "Do we have an idea of the conditions of which that doctor spoke?"

"No, but it's probably something to do with blood-type or something of that nature and that," he eyed the other man hopefully, "would be fairly easy to test."

"Do we have Sydney's results available?"

"Fortunately, yes. The infirmary hadn't got around to destroying the material after they added it to the medical records on the old mainframe."

"Good. If there is a difference, run a series of tests of those drugs on people whose tissue types correspond with that of Raines. Should the tests show no reactions, then you can use the drug on him, and him only. Clear?"

"Yes, sir." Smirking, the man exited the room, allowing the head of the Triumvirate to return to the task in which he had been engaged when the other man entered.

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen looked down at the boy on her lap as she read the last word, closing the book before putting it down on the cushion beside her. Gently, she moved David's head so it rested more comfortably against her chest and then picked up her own book, looking at Steve.

"Everything okay?"

He smiled. "Fine. Remind me, how long do we have these books for?"

"Two weeks," she explained for the third time, patiently. "And then we take those back and get some more out if we want to."

"I like that idea."

"That's no surprise to me at all. It must be a pleasure to read what you like these days instead of having it dictated to you."

"It's a pleasure to do whatever I want these days, instead of having to do what he tells me."

She nodded at the box that stood beside his chair. "Isn't that Jarod's DSA case?"

"How did you know?"

"I have a vague memory of it stripping the paint off the front of my car."

The Pretender grinned. "He mentioned that. If you'd wanted to meet him that badly, all you really had to do was say hello."

Helen laughed. "You've been taking lessons in smart comments from him as well."

"He made some suggestions," Steve smiled.

"I bet he did." She nodded at the case. "Why were you watching them?"

"I was trying to compare what he went through with what I did."

"And?"

"And what?"

"What conclusions did you draw? Who had an easier life?"

"That's not something I want to compare."

She nodded. "I think both of you had an easier time than Kyle, for instance."

"Jarod's brother? He mentioned him a few times, but I never met him."

"No, you wouldn't have. I understand that Kyle was taken down to SL-27 a few weeks before you were brought to the Centre." Helen smiled. "Did you meet Miss Parker when you were younger?"

"No, although I’ve heard Angelo say her name a few times. From what Jarod said to me, she was almost never at the Centre by the time I was brought there, until she joined the team in security."

"Do you remember your kidnapping?"

"Yes. I suppressed it for a while but one of my simulations was about saving a kidnapped child so it came back."

"When was that?"

"Several weeks before Michael was born. After that, I almost never did any simulations, because taking care of him became virtually my full-time job."

"Do you mind me doing most of it, or would you like to be more involved?"

"Well, I enjoy not having to get up during the night," he grinned, before continuing hesitantly, "but I would like to help more during the day, changing him and stuff. Bathing him used to be kind of fun too."

"Well, how about you take over that job then? I've got plenty to do caring for David in the morning, and I'd be happy for you to do all that for Michael."

"Are you sure?"

"Steve, I don't suggest things unless I'm sure. And if one of us wants to sleep in for some reason, the other can take over."

"Like when Sam was here," Steve commented innocently. "And Jarod got David and Michael up."

"Yes," Helen responded lightly, suddenly very interested in her book again. "Just like that."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"Mr. Raines, I have something that could be useful for you."

Still fuming from his latest T-Board and having only just returned to his office, the bald man looked up as Willie announced his entry in this intriguing manner.

"And that is?"

"I found Angelo's latest space - and something that might interest you."

He placed a DSA player onto the desk and played the footage of Raines and Helen on the night of Steve, David and Michael’s escape. When it was over, the man sat back in his chair.

"It's useful, certainly,” Raines agreed. “The question is what to do with it?"

"I'm sure the Triumvirate could find it useful."

"And I need something to convince them that I'm useful or else I might meet the same fate as Mr. Parker." He looked at Willie thoughtfully. "Do you have a plan?"

The man sat down in a chair on the other side of the desk. "From other recorded material of that night, Angelo helped the woman to spirit those three away. They could use him – or a threat to him – as bait to catch her. The empath's computer had a number of messages that he had sent her and the Triumvirate could make a similar message and send it to the woman."

"Do we know how she gets in?"

"There are three possible places - and three members of the Triumvirate."

Raines rose to his feet. "Where are the terrible trio now?"

"In a meeting, sir. But, with something as important as this..."

"We'll have to crash that meeting. You're right."

# # #


The three men listened to the details in silence, watching the two men who stood on the other side of the large table. When they were finished, the redheaded man spoke.

"And where is the empath now?"

Raines glanced at Willie, who filled the gap. "I'm not sure, sir. He wasn't in there when I found of the information, but I put two other sweepers to guard it, to make sure that he wouldn't move it before I could bring it to show Mr. Raines."

The head of the Triumvirate looked at his colleague. "Blockade the Centre."

"Yes, sir." The man rose and left the room immediately.

"All right, that'll do for now. If we need any more information, we'll call you." The man looked at Willie. "I'll send several people to bring all of that information here so that your fellow-sweepers can be provided with other work."

"Is there anything I can do, sir?" the sweeper responded.

"Go to the Security Room and oversee proceedings. Make sure that no emails have a chance of getting through without us reading them. The same goes for calls."

The sweeper left the room immediately, followed by Raines, and the head of the Centre looked down at the frozen image of the woman on the screen. After a few moments his eyes widened slightly before he turned to his colleague.

"Does that image look familiar?"

His co-leader examined the woman's features for a moment. "Vaguely, but I wouldn't want to try putting a name to that face, or to say where I've seen it before."

"You saw it in here," the first man growled. "The only difference was that she had brown hair then. Somehow she was involved with the business of Sydney's collapse at the T-Board. In fact, when I think about it, I’d suspect she was responsible for that. Nobody else could remember those 'tests' that she mentioned."

"How did she do it?"

"I don't know, but it probably means the drugs won't have that affect on people other than Sydney and possibly Miss Parker and Mr. Broots."

"So you think she was responsible for their disappearance?" the other man guessed.

"And the mainframe disaster as well, yes," the man mused. "If she knows how to get a person out of the Centre so subtly that nobody knows until the following morning they're gone, she probably also knows how to steal the codes from offices and put false ones in their place."

"So - what? She created something to counteract the drug we gave Sydney?"

"It's possible. She certainly gave Raines something. You only have to listen to his voice and look at him to know that he'd been given a drug of some kind."

"So, we'll catch her..."

"Outside. That way any drugs she could use won't have an effect."

"And are we going to kill her?"

"No, not yet."

The other man looked over in surprise. "Why not? She's an incredible danger."

"But she has two large benefits. First, she's clearly very skilled with chemical creations and could be useful. Then she appears to be helping Sydney, Miss Parker and Mr. Broots. Now who else could be working with them?"

"Jarod?"

"It's possible, and if we put her in danger, that might be enough to bring him back at a run. For all we know, they could be buddying up in a big way."

"I love it." The second man stretched in his chair, grinning. "I love it a lot."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen glanced up from her book as Steve stood. "Going to bed?"

"I think I might, if that's okay."

"Of course it is, Steve. Sleep well."

"You, too." He smiled faintly before going into the kitchen and she could hear him descending to the cellar.

Reaching over, she turned on her computer, completing the book while it began. As she read the last word, a new email was announced and she typed in the password. For several seconds she read the message until the meaning forced its way into her mind.

Jumping to her feet, Helen typed in a short message for Steven and left the machine open on the table so that he’d see it. In the kitchen she pulled on a jacket before locking the door of the house behind her and jumping into the car. Only a few seconds later, she was almost a block away from the house.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

The black-clad figure approached the vent cover and put out a hand, expecting it to give. When it failed to do so, Helen straightened and looked around, her eyes almost instantly meeting those of the man who stepped out of the shadows opposite her. The two hands on her arms, just seconds later, holding them firmly behind her back, were no surprise.

"There are far easier ways for you to get into the infirmary than through the vents, Doctor, or did you forget to bring your sign-in card tonight?"

"I always like a challenge," she retorted calmly.

"Well, I hope we've provided you with that over the years, Helen." The man drew a gun from his holster, aiming it at her. "That is how long you've been sneaking in and out for, isn't it? You've been going in and taking various files out of people's cupboards and filing cabinets, putting false documents in their place."

"Is that a question or a statement?"

"For somebody in as much trouble as you, my dear, you're very cocky."

"I'd be more concerned if I thought anybody else was in trouble, but as I can now assume that my fear for other people's safety is unfounded, I'm not worried about me. You're going to kill me, so why should I be concerned?"

"If I was going to kill you, I’d have done it already. No, we have a number of other plans for you." He stepped closer. "Where are they?"

"Who?"

"The people we saw you helping to get out of the Centre."

"Safe. Considering what you were planning to do, I can't imagine it making a difference whether they're here or somewhere else, except to them, of course."

"We like to know where our people are, Helen, and we're going to make sure we know where you are at all times."

"Do you think I'd run away or something? What possible reason could I have for running away from my big brother?"

"And who might that be?" he demanded.

"You don't know?" She stared at him, moonlight illuminating the look of mocking amusement on her face. "You are, of course. Aren't I lucky?"

"And, always assuming you're not lying,” he asked, eyes narrowing, “you know this how?"

"I did a little comparison of your latest physical with similar results from a batch of tests that I had done several years ago. It matched. After you drag me inside, you can run more tests to prove it to yourself, if you like. I'm sure I won't know anything about them."

"You're right about that." He nodded at the sweeper. "And we aren't going to rely on a mere drug to make sure you don't try to fight."

Helen felt the impact of the blow to the side of her head that sent her sprawling to the ground but was unconscious before she could feel the pain.

# # #


"Now what?" The man turned to his boss, as they looked at the woman who lay, unconscious, and firmly bound to the operating table in front of them.

"I'm not going to drag any of the pursuit team back to the Centre tonight, but I’ll see if Sam knows anything about her."

"Why would he?"

"If she's been working with Sydney and the others, he might have met her as well and may know where she could have taken the others." He nodded toward a sweeper, who immediately left the room.

"And you think he'll tell you?"

"Loyalty is their first responsibility - and I'm sure he knows what would happen to him if we found he was lying."

"Could she really be your sister?"

"I've already got someone checking it, not that it makes any difference."

"You wanted to see me, sir?"

The man turned. "Yes, Sam. I have somebody here that, if you can, I want you to identify."

Stepping aside, the head of the Triumvirate revealed the woman and watched the sweeper, who gazed at her for a few minutes, his face expressionless, before he nodded slowly.

"Wasn't she the doctor that treated Sydney after he collapsed at the T-Board? I'm sure it was her, although I thought she had brown hair."

"But you've never seen her before that?"

"If I had, sir,” Sam responded quickly, desperately suppressing the urge that he was feeling to knock the man to the floor, grab Helen and leave, “wouldn't I have said something when she appeared?"

The man nodded thoughtfully. "Sam, I want you to go outside and guard the shaft at point 82-B in case any of her friends decide to try and rescue her. Ask security to let you out."

"Of course, sir," Sam agreed, instantly planning his next moves.

As the sweeper closed the door, the second man turned to his boss. "Why?"

"If he'd seen her before, he would have denied knowing her. The fact that he admitted seeing her at the T-Board, when we know she was there, makes me fairly sure he was telling the truth."

"And what now?"

"Now,” with a malicious smile curling his lips, “it's time to start."

# # #


Falk, New Jersey
Half-waking, Jarod reached out for the phone and activated it.

"Hello?"

"Jarod, it's Steve."

"What's up?"

"Helen's not here."

The Pretender sat up. "What do you mean, she's not there?"

"I mean she's not here! I got up because Michael was crying - had been for quite a while – and I found a note saying that she had to go back to the Centre."

"Did she say why?"

"There was an email from Angelo, saying that he was in danger."

Jarod arched an eyebrow. "He sent it?"

"Apparently. It's from the address that I know he uses."

"When?"

"It came about five hours ago."

"Okay, I'll find out what's going on and call you when I know. Just stay with those kids."

"Believe me, I'm not going anywhere."

"Call Dad and get him to come around there. He can get you away if need be."

"Sure thing," Steve agreed at once.

Jarod hung up the phone and was thinking who to call next when the device rang in his hand.

"Helen?" he demanded.

"No, it's Sam. They've got her, Jarod, I've seen her." The Pretender could detect the well-hidden concern in the sweeper's voice.

"She's alive?"

"Yes. Somebody told me they won't kill her, only 'retrain' her, whatever that might mean."

"Where are you?"

"The shaft. I was sent to guard it, to keep other people from getting in."

"And Angelo?"

"I haven't seen him, but I think it was just a ploy to get her here."

"I'll be there as soon as I can."

"What are you planning?"

"I'll let you know when I arrive."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"She was telling the truth," the second Triumvirate member told his boss.

"That makes this even more fun, then," the redhead grinned, before nodding. "Begin."

As one of the men inserted a syringe into the still-unconscious woman's arm, the man took the folder that was held out to him and glanced through it.

"Very interesting."

"You didn't know?"

"My parents put me up for adoption when I was eight. It seems that they then had her. How nice of them to get rid of one child before they had another."

"And how ironic that she should have been working against the Centre for all this time."

"Quite." The man folded his arms, the folder held in one hand, and watched a drug being injected before the doctor stepped back, turning to him.

"We can't do anything else until this has been allowed to be absorbed, sir, and it will take at least an hour."

"Put a guard in this room and send someone to get us as soon as she's ready for the next stage."

"Yes, sir."

# # #


"Are you going to lift the blockade?" his co-member queried at the end of an hour of planning.

"No, not yet. It's more than likely that people will try to rescue her and, with that in place, they’ll need inside help to do so. As far as we know, they don't have that among the staff members who are here."

"And once this is complete?"

"Later I'm bringing Miss Parker and the others in for another T-Board. If they still refuse to be helpful, we'll see how much more effective a threat to the woman is. I suspect," he added with a grin, "that it will be quite effective indeed."

"And Raines?"

The first man laughed softly. "He's certainly been useful, hasn't he? It's a pity that, while he was talking to us, someone else was spraying that equally useful drug, Ammon, around his office and quarters. I'd be rather surprised if there's anybody 'living' there now, pun completely intended."

"Was that the punishment for his planned coup that he thought he'd avoided?"

"Precisely,” the redhead agreed. “We've been too nice to him after every other T-Board, which is exactly which this response will be so unexpected."

"And Cox?"

"The man is starting to annoy me. I preferred his thinly veiled animosity to this nauseating obsequiousness." The head of the Triumvirate looked up at his assistant. "What work is he doing for us at the moment?"

"He's dragging out the staff details, presumably because he feels that it will keep him safe, if only for a while longer."

"I want him guarded from a distance. As soon as he knows about Raines' fate, he will know it's time to leave and I want it prevented, by a bullet in the back, if that's what it takes."

"Excuse me, sir. I was asked to tell you that the next stage is almost ready."

"I'm glad to hear it." The man stood, stretching. "Why couldn't this blasted woman have snuck in at a reasonable hour, like midday? Then we could all at least have had a good night's sleep to prepare for this."

# # #


"Sam?"

Hearing the familiar voice, the sweeper glanced around warily before rapidly walking to the shadows.

"Where is she?"

"SL-24. The Triumvirate has a series of rooms there that use for their own private work. She was carried there."

"Carried?"

"They knocked her out first."

Jarod could see the sweeper's hands clenched into fists as he struggled to control his anger and the Pretender attempted to speak calmly.

"Sam, I'm going to get her out."

"You're not doing this alone, Jarod, not this time. There's no possible way for you to manage it."

"I would say there's no way for either of you to manage it," a new voice stated. The dark-skinned man appeared from the shadows away to their left, his gun in his hand. "I, on the other hand, am going to manage to be rather popular with the Triumvirate when I appear in the room in SL-24 with both of you, aren't I?" He nodded at the gun in his hand as the two men froze. "It's got to be clear to both of you that I won't hesitate to use this. Now we're going for a short walk over to the air vent cover."

The trio walked over the moonlit ground towards the cover without speaking but as they neared it, Sam turned.

"What are you going to do now, Willie? If we go down first, we'll both have vanished, the moment we're out of sight down there. If you're the first down, we'll be gone from up here."

"I'm not stupid, Sam," the other man snarled. "You're going to demonstrate to me how you've kept this vent open and then we'll waltz in through the front door just like one, big, happy family." Willie stepped over to the cover, his gun still firmly trained on the men, and felt it, before looking up with a wide smirk. "And, to nobody's surprise, it's loose, meaning that call I heard wasn't an mistake, as I'm sure the Triumvirate will agree when I tell them that later." He straightened up but suddenly staggered sideways, grabbing for his lower leg, as he yelled out in pain. That second was all Sam needed, and, drawing his gun, the sweeper shot the other man once through the heart, and again through the head.

"You were right, Helen," he stated quietly as he looked at the dead man’s body. "Nobody in their right mind ever trusts Willie."

Jarod looked down at the tousled head that appeared through the hole, offering a hand to pull the man up.

"Angelo, what...?"

The empath opened his hand to show the empty syringe, before tossing the item aside. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a number of small glass vials and placed them into the pretender's hands.

"What's this?" the Pretender demanded.

"Drug. Raines."

The man nodded slowly before looking at Sam. "If that's going to...?"

"It won't. She gave me the antidote to it before I left Ashe and she said you'd had it as well."

Jarod eyed the man beside him for a moment. "She really trusts you."

"You need to as well, Jarod, or we'll never be able to get her out." He hesitated, a look of concern in his eyes. "If we don't, they'll destroy her and those children will never see her again." Sam had to swallow hard. "And neither will I."

The three men crept along the passages to the lowest levels of the Centre, and eventually arrived at the air vent of the room where a large group was gathered to watch and to guard the occupant. Jarod drew in his breath sharply but silently as a movement by a doctor showed the figure on the bed.

"What now?" Sam murmured in just-audible tones.

"Now," Jarod grinned suddenly. "Everybody's about to have a nice sleep." He broke the seal of a vial and threw it into the room, where the loud discussion between the doctor and the head of the Triumvirate covered the tinkle of broken glass. Jarod repeated the action until six vials had been opened. Glancing to one side, he took in the glazed eyes of the empath and then pulled the man aside.

"Angelo, did you get the antidote for that?"

"No," the younger man murmured, swaying slightly.

"Damn." Jarod stared at the man for a moment. "Well, wait there and try to stay awake if you can. When we've got her, then you can follow us."

The empath nodded numbly, his eyes fixed on the vent wall without seeing anything, and Jarod, casting a last concerned glance at the man, turned back to the room. He could clearly tell the gas slowly overcoming the occupants, and the majority of them swayed as they attempted to continue working, fear of the figure who stood in the corner pushing them to make the effort.

Jarod kept an eye on the head of the Triumvirate as the man took a hesitant step backward, hand outstretched for the back of the chair. Slowly he sank down onto it, raising one hand to his forehead. Glancing around, the man took in the sight of the other two Triumvirate members slumping to the floor, as those other Centre staff members present also gradually succumbed. Eventually, no longer able to hold his breath as he’d been trying to do since first feeling something wrong, the man slumped in his chair, instantly totally insentient.

A moment passed that seemed hours to the men who waited in the air vent shaft, before Jarod put out a hand and pushed the metal, only half-surprised when it yielded to his touch and swung into the room.

"Now or never," he muttered under his breath, jumping down.

Sam ran immediately to the bed and released the straps binding the woman to the gurney, before picking her up in his arms. Jarod used a key on the sweeper's belt to lock the door from the inside and pocketed the metal object before grabbing the pile of papers that were lying on a table beside the unconscious doctor and pocketing the syringes lying beside them. With difficulty Sam climbed back up into the shaft and watched as Jarod pulled the cover closed, securely fastening it, before he put an arm around Angelo to support him and looked at his fellow rescuer.

"Let's get out of here."
Part 19 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 19



Blue Cove, Delaware
Sam gently put the unconscious woman down on the back seat of the car before getting in beside her and resting her head on his lap, starting to stroke her hair. Jarod fastened the seatbelt around the empath and got in behind the wheel, looking over his shoulder, as he started the engine, but it was Sam who broke the painful silence of the car.

"Helen said she created a nullifier for the gas, after Eddie found her on the floor of her lab. I know you won't have it here, but Angelo might know about it."

Jarod glanced over to see that the empath was already holding up a vial and, in spite of the extreme seriousness of the situation, was unable to help grinning.

"Go ahead, Angelo. You obviously planned for this whole thing."

"Yes." The empath filled a syringe and injected himself with it, blinking suddenly a moment later, before looking at Jarod. "Sydney."

"You're right." Jarod took out his phone and brought up the programmed number, his eyes fixed on the road ahead.

# # #


The psychiatrist filled his mug from the kettle before answering the phone when it rang, glancing at his watch with a startled expression on his face.

"This is Sydney."

"The four of you need to get to New York."

"Now?" the older man demanded.

"If you go to the Centre, you won't get out alive."

"Fine. We'll see you in a few hours."

Sydney disconnected the call before dialing the number of a new cell phone Helen had given Broots, as she had to each of them, before they left Ashe.

"It's me. Get Debbie, grab some things and come around here now."

"On our way."

After making a call to Miss Parker, Sydney packed some clothes in a bag, and took it to his car. Looking around, he could see that the street was empty until the two cars arrived at almost the same moment.

"What's going on?" the woman demanded.

"I had a call from Jarod and it was serious. Get in. We're going to Ashe."

"Not without me." The young man ran up to the group, slightly out of breath. "She told me about it."

"What is there to tell?" Miss Parker looked at her brother as she got into the front seat, leaving Broots, Debbie and Ethan to get in the back.

"Helen was tricked into going to the Centre last night. Jarod and Sam got her out less than an hour ago."

Sydney looked sharply in the rearview mirror. "Is she alright?"

"She's alive,” Ethan admitted. “But that's all I know."

# # #


Border of Pennsylvania and New York
"How's she doing?" the Pretender demanded.

"She's still out."

Jarod's hands tightened on the steering wheel before he glanced at Angelo. "Do you know what's happening in the Centre?"

The empath's hands closed around the key Jarod had stolen from one of unconscious sweepers and he shut his eyes briefly before looking up. "Still drug."

"Good. I thought that many would have to work for a number of hours longer than normal."

"What are you going to do, Jarod?" Sam demanded, his eyes fixed on the unconscious woman in his arms.

"Didn't you say they were in a state of blockade?"

"Yes, so?"

"So I think it's time it was made permanent until we decide how to deal with them, once and for all. As soon as they get to Ashe, I'll get Broots to do just that."

"Is there any way to destroy the Centre without going near it?"

"It's almost destroyed anyway. All it needs is one last push and it should topple in silence." Jarod picked up the phone. "I've got to call Steve. He'll be worried."

"Did he know?"

"He knew she went to the Centre. He called me just before you did."

Jarod dialed the relevant number and heard the familiar tones on the other end.

"Jarod?"

"Yes, Dad, it's me. Who's there?"

"Just Jon and me. I left everyone else someplace safe, but he came with me in case you needed a hand."

"Are you sure the other place is safe?"
"Positive. Is Helen okay?"

"She's alive. Are the kids okay?"

"Fine. Steve's been trying to get into the security system but he can't."

"It's in a state of blockade. They were trying to prevent us from getting her out but we managed it anyway. I doubt he'll be able to hack in, but he might as well keep trying."

"When will you be here?"

"As soon as possible." Jarod glanced at his watch. "Probably half an hour, but it won't do for the kids to see her like this. Get Jon to take David into the room where his train's set up before we get there."

"Will do. And the others?"

"Sydney and the rest are on the way. Sam's with me. We can trust him."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"All right, Jarod. Be careful son."

"You too, Dad."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Sam picked the woman up from the seat and carried her into the house, Angelo following them.

"Where?" the sweeper demanded.

"Her room."

Nodding, the man climbed the stairs after Jarod and gently placed the woman down on the bed. The pretender performed a rapid examination before pulling a bundle of papers out of his pocket and skimming through them.

"What's wrong with her? Why is she still unconscious?"

"She's still under anesthetic, but there's also a concussion from that blow to her head. However she was given a drug that was supposed to wipe her memory so they could retrain her and that's the real problem. We have to find a way to either neutralize or counteract it."

As his father and Jon entered the room, Jarod stepped over, noting the emotion that appeared on the boy's face and just as rapidly vanished as he looked at the older man. "What do you want me to do?"

Pulling the syringes out of his pocket, Jarod handed them to the boy. "Find out if they all contain the same thing. I want a complete chemical breakdown of the contents."

"Isn't Helen's lab locked?"

"Steve will know where to find the key."

Nodding, the boy disappeared through the door and hurried downstairs. Turning back to the bed as his father also left the room, Jarod saw Sam sitting down beside the woman, gently touching the bruise on her face. As he watched, the sweeper bent down, kissing the unconscious woman's forehead, before standing up and turning to the Pretender.

"Let me know if there's anything I can do."

"I will, Sam."

# # #


The psychiatrist put a gentle hand on the sweeper's shoulder, feeling him jump at the light touch, before Sam turned.

"Where is she?"

"Upstairs."

Sydney nodded and silently ascended the stairs as the other two people came in.

"Where's Debbie?"

"Ethan took her down to play with David and his train."

Broots sat down and Sam looked up at him. "Jarod asked if you could try to find a way around the blockade and to make it permanent."

The technician nodded and pulled the laptop towards him as Miss Parker took a seat opposite the sweeper.

"Why didn't you ever tell me, Sam?"

"Tell you what, Miss Parker? My personal life? I haven't had one of them since I began working at the Centre, and there didn't seem any point in mentioning what happened before then. Besides, it was just that - personal."

"She means a lot to you, doesn't she?"

"Even after I knew I was trapped, that they’d never let me leave,” he agreed, “I still thought about going back to her. I hadn't seen her in person - able to talk to her - since I left Minnesota, and that was fifteen years ago, until I happened to see her the other day in Lyneham." He looked at her. "I imagine it might be a little like you seeing Thomas again."

The woman nodded slowly, glimpsing genuine emotion in the man's eyes for the first time.

# # #


"Jarod?"

The psychiatrist tapped gently on the partly open door, entering the room, and Sydney's eyes were immediately fixed on the woman. "How is she?"

"No change." The Pretender straightened up and glanced over. "I'm expecting the anesthetic to wear off within the next ten minutes or so, but it won't make much of a difference."

"Do you know what they did?"

"Yes, but until I know exactly what they gave to her, and they don't specify that on these sheets of paper, I can't work out what to create as an antidote. I asked Jon to break down the chemical compositions of the things they had ready to give to her next, and once we know that, we can sit down and work out what she needs."

"What chance has she got?"

"Well, she won't die, unless she has complications from the blow that knocked her out, but according to the details here,” he waved the sheet of paper before Sydney took it from his hand, “her mind and memory have been wiped or blocked, and that leaves her with nothing." Jarod looked down at the woman to see that her eyes had opened, unblinkingly fixed on the ceiling.

"How would they have retrained her?" the psychiatrist asked somewhat absent-mindedly, as he read the page.

"By exposure to continually repeated stimuli - images or sounds - until they became a part of her thinking process, but first they’d have administered another of the drugs we took so those parts of her mind that would be of most use – such as all of her knowledge of chemistry - could have been more easily recalled. I've considered giving that to her and using the same process to recall more information, but I can't bring back all her emotions and feelings. She'd be an automaton, with only the practical knowledge that she had before."

"She would hate that."

"She wouldn't be the only one." Jarod shook his head. "Don't worry, we won't do that. Instead, we need to create something to break down the other drug and without knowing what it was made up of, we can't."

"Are we working within time restrictions?"

"Not as far as Helen's concerned, but we can only keep David away from her for so long and he's very attached to her now. It would be terrible for him to see her like this."

# # #


"It was so hard to leave Minnesota because I didn't know if I'd ever see her again, and there were a lot of times, particularly in the last few years, that I wished they had never come to that state, or that I'd never accepted that job. I've spent hours contemplating what life could have been like if it hadn't happened." Sam smiled faintly. "The strangest part was the thought that I might have been helping Jarod stay out of the Centre, instead of doing everything I could get him back or keep him there."

"So you think she was helping Jarod from the start?" Miss Parker interrupted softly.

"No, Helen snuck into the Centre in the first place because of Margaret. She never told me that she was doing it. I suspected, especially after I read Jarod's simulation results, that it was her, but I never asked because, if she wasn't the one, I didn't want to put the idea into her head, and if it was, all it could have done was potentially strained the friendship we still had."

"Did you ever mention Jarod to her?"

"In my first letter, yes."

"And how did you know about him?"

"My first duty at the Centre was to be the sweeper present at quite a lot of Jarod's SIMs. When he escaped, I was put on the pursuit because they thought I was at least a partly familiar face."

Miss Parker watched the sweeper stare down at his hands before asking her next question. "Did you ever plan to marry her?"

"I’d thought about asking, but five months seemed like such a short time, and I didn't want her to feel pressured. Besides, it wasn't as if we could ever have a family of our own, so it didn't seem to matter how long we waited before taking our relationship to any further level."

"She told you?"

"We were both completely open with one other. By doing so, I could be another source of comfort when she was having problems coping."

"And did you mind?" Miss Parker asked gently.

"Like Helen, I’d always wanted kids, but I wasn't going to throw away the wonderful things we had just because, through no fault of hers, she couldn't have them. And there are other options. If we'd been able to stay together, then we might have had a chance to explore those possibilities."

The woman raised an eyebrow as another question occurred to her. "Did you actually break up?"

"It wasn't an official break-up, no. We talked about it and decided that it would be too hard to have to deal with the relationship over such a big distance, especially as we both had new jobs to cope with - me at the Centre, and her at a local hospital not far from our apartment."

Miss Parker’s eyebrows shot up as she took this in. "A Catholic girl like her lived with a man she wasn't married to?"

The sweeper smiled in response to the amusement on the woman's face.

"One night she stayed at my apartment because the weather was too bad for her to walk home. I was planning to sleep on the sofa and let her sleep in my bed but we started talking, sitting on the rug in front of the fire. A couple of hours later, we were both still there, and I've never been able to remember what we talked about for all that time."

Sam's eyes softened at the memory, his smile becoming tender, staring at the fire burning in the grate in front of him.

"I got up to make us some coffee and when I came back she was asleep on the rug, her head resting on one of the cushions that we'd been sitting against. Somehow it just seemed natural for her to be there and I lay beside and just watched her sleep for an hour until she woke up. That was also the day of our first kiss."

Blinking suddenly as he broke out of the reverie, his expression became sad again as Sam looked at up the woman opposite him.

"I'm not sure why I'm telling you this."

"It always helps to talk."

"I thought Sydney was the psychiatrist."

Miss Parker smiled. "Maybe it's rubbing off. What happened later that day?"

Sam couldn’t help laughing. "I appreciate your tact in not asking 'what happened next', but, no, we didn't sleep with each other, not that night. We spent the rest of it talking and I walked her home later that day. After that night, almost all our time was spent together, except when we were studying or working. Then, because my lease was about to expire, Helen suggested that I move in with her."

"So you lived together for five months?"

"Until the Centre offered me a job, yes. We discussed for ages if I should take it, if Helen should move to Blue Cove with me and get work there, if I should reject the Centre job and complete my engineering course..."

"You were studying engineering?"

"Is that such a surprise, Miss Parker?” Sam commented with a faint smile. “I had to be studying something."

"Well, I never picked you as the engineering type."

Sam smiled. "Actually, neither did I. My dad told me if I studied it he’d give me a job with his engineering firm. He died about six months before I met Helen. If the Centre hadn't offered me a job, I'd probably have completed the course out of respect for his memory, but things changed."

"And your mother?"

"I haven't seen her in a few months, but I write and call her regularly. Helen met her just before I moved away and they got on like a house on fire. Mom isn't very far away, actually. I should bring her here to make sure she's safe."

"Do you want me to?"

He turned startled eyes on her. "You'd be willing to?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Why not, Sam?"

"It's… just not something I was expecting," he explained somewhat incoherently.

"Give me her address and a note and I'll bring her here."

The technician looked up, having been unwilling to break into the discussion until now. "You can take your time, Miss Parker. The Centre's completely locked down and nobody can get in or out. No messages can be sent by telephone, email, fax or even cell-phone."

"Is that what Sam meant before by a blockade?"

"Yes. It's an emergency procedure. Obviously Helen's brother believed that she was important enough to them to make it necessary."

"Considering the damage she did, by shutting down the mainframe, and by getting Steve and the others out, it's probably justified."

"They put it in place?"

"Yes, but I overrode the order and activated my own blockade. It's centralized and one directive shuts down the whole place, but we can look into anything we want, to keep an eye on them."

The sweeper looked over at the technician, curiosity in his eyes. "Can we see what's happening in the room on SL-24 where they took her?"

"Sure." Broots typed in a direction before turning the machine so that the other two people could see it as well.

"You know," Miss Parker remarked after examining each occupant of the room visually for a few minutes. "I'm surprised Willie isn't there."

Sam's face became sober. "It's hard to be unconscious when you're dead."

Her eyes widened. "Dead?!"

"I shot him when he was trying to prevent us from going in to get Helen, just after Angelo stabbed him with a syringe, like he did when Jarod was trying to rescue Davy Simpkins."

"So he's…?"

"He and Raines both, but I didn't shoot Raines, although I've often wanted to."

"Who did?"

"Nobody. According to what I was told, he was murdered by the same method as that which killed Mr. Lyle."

"Well, Lyle would be pleased to know about that if he wasn't dead. He didn't like Raines any more than the rest of us did."

"So who's left?" Broots asked.

"The Triumvirate, and Cox, for the moment,” Sam told him. “The same person who told me about Raines said that Helen's brother put Cox under guard, to be shot if he attempted to escape."

"And he will?" Miss Parker suggested.

"Probably." Sam shrugged, his eyes fixed on the figures that he could see on the screen. "It's his choice."

"So we're left with the Triumvirate," the woman finished.

"Exactly." The sweeper's expression became darker as he saw the first individual rise unsteadily to his feet. "If it wouldn't kill innocent people, I'd fill that place with poisoned gas and then blow it sky-high."

"Sydney tried, remember?” Miss Parker reminded him. “It didn't help."

Sam smiled grimy. "He was unlucky. The shot to Raines' tank missed as well. I wouldn't make that mistake."

# # #


Jarod looked over the papers that Jonathon handed him and then sat down in the remaining chair around the table that had been brought into the bedroom.

"Did you two discuss it already?"

"Yes." Steve pulled a sheet of paper out of his pocket and pushed it across to the older Pretender. "That's the three options we came up with."

"If one fails..." Jarod began.

"Neither of the other two would cause enough problems to prevent us trying a third," Jon finished for him.

Sydney had listened silently to this, but now spoke. "How long will any one of the treatments take to undo the original drug?"

"It varies. Unfortunately the one that's most likely to work will take longest."

"How long will it take you to make them all up?"

"About an hour each. Everything's already here, which helps."

"What are the three time periods?"

"The first possibility should produce a result - if it does, and that's the least likely - in under twenty minutes. The second should take about three hours and the third anywhere from thirteen hours to fifteen."

Jarod glanced at his watch. "It's ten, so we might not get a definite result until six o'clock tomorrow morning, and there should be some effects from not only all the drugs, including the anesthetic, but also the concussion, which she isn't able to sleep off because she isn't able to sleep."

"And will the Centre be able to have any idea where we are?" Sydney proposed.

"No." Broots told them as he entered the room and closed the door. "I maneuvered around their original blockade and put my own in position. The Centre is closed to any and all communication, whether incoming or outgoing."

"Good." Jarod looked at the technician. "The occupants of the room in SL-24 are in what state?"

"Shaky but conscious. Oh, and,” he added with a grin, “slightly upset to find that the door doesn't open."

"I bet." With a faint grin in reply, Jarod looked at the two people opposite him. "I don't like to leave Helen here without one of us. Do you two feel able to create the three drugs without my help?"

"Ready and willing, as well as able." As Jon got to his feet, Steve took the papers from the oldest pretender's hand.

"We'll bring up the first as soon as it's done, while we make the second," Jon added.

"Good." Jarod looked Broots as the other left. "How's Sam?"

"Concerned. Very concerned. But Miss Parker was helping."

"Miracles will never cease. Where is she now?"

"She's gone to get Sam's mother and bring her here. He was worried in case the Centre was able to send people to get her. If he hadn't thought you might want him for something, he’d have gone with her."

"So where is he?"

"He's trying to distract himself by playing with David and the train set. He said he could come up if you wanted him to."

"Tell him that there's no point at the moment because there's no change. I'm not sure whether he should come up during the time when we might get results from the drugs either, considering we don't know what's going to happen, but,” Jarod finished as a realization of what that phrase would do to Sam struck him, “it might be better if you don't say that last part to him."

# # #


"I can't stand this." The sweeper got to his feet beginning to pace the room. "There has to be something else we can do."

"Sam, you've done everything you can,” Sydney reminded him. “It's out of your hands now."

"It shouldn't be." The sweeper glared at the floor. "I don't see her for fifteen years and then, when it seems like we might get another chance, it's taken away from us by the very people I've worked for during the intermediary period. How fair is that?"

"Who ever said anything about fair?" Sydney spoke calmly. "This whole situation is the fault of the Triumvirate, and nothing they've done could ever even remotely be considered 'fair'."

"Her own brother causes this." The man turned to glare out of the window. "And, what's more, he took pleasure in the fact, both that it was his sister, and that he was doing something that would destroy her. I'd take pleasure in wrapping both hands around his throat..."

"Sam!" the woman at the table admonished sharply and he turned.

"I'm sorry, Mom, but you have no idea..."

"Perhaps not, but I'm beginning to develop one, and I don’t like the one I'm developing."

"If you'd seen and heard..."

"I have." She reached out and took his hand. "And I didn't like it either, but justice isn't your responsibility. You need to be there for Helen when she needs you, not off risking your neck by trying to injure the man who did it."

"And, if she doesn't..." the man choked, unable to continue.

"Then you need to help Jarod and the others care for the children,” his mother finished. “Knowing it to be what she would want you to do. David, at least, already adores you, going by expression on his face when you walked into the playroom, and Michael’s happy when you're around as well. You can do an awful lot to help them."

"Like what?"

The woman ignored the snide tone in the man's voice and responded seriously to his question.

"Like being there to protect them if it should happen that the Centre finds out where they are and comes to get them. It would be foolish for you to go near that place, but there's plenty you can do from here."

"That's what I said to her as well."

"And so did I." Sydney leaned forward. "But Helen went because she believed that Angelo was in danger, not to exchange some files this time. This was different. I'm sure that, if Helen could have found another way, she would have done so, but she must have felt that only she could save him. I can only imagine that she felt guilty at the thought of his potentially being in danger because she didn't take him with her when she brought Steve and the others back here."

"Where is Angelo anyway?"

"Downstairs, playing with David and Ethan. All four of them, including Debbie, are getting on well, and it lets Jon and Steve work on the next formula while Jarod stays up with Helen. Broots, Miss Parker and Major Charles are keeping an eye on the Centre."

"Are they still all locked in?"

"Yes, but we need to come up with a solution for that. We can't leave them there indefinitely."

"Want to bet?" the sweeper demanded.

Sydney smiled faintly. "Okay, we can theoretically leave them there but, for the same reason that you wouldn't flood the place with gas, the way you suggested to Miss Parker..."

"How did you know?"

"She told me, and I appreciate your comment on my aim, as well," Sydney added with a smile.

"Life would have been a lot easier if you'd just shot the bastard."

"For whom? Raines, possibly, but not the rest of us. It wouldn't have got rid of the Triumvirate, and Raines was only ever acting on their behalf anyway."

"Except when he was acting against them." Sam sat down beside his mother and looked at the psychiatrist. "So we need to work out some way to take down the Triumvirate."

"Precisely."

"Gee, it's great to get the easy job."

# # #


Jarod glanced at his watch and then went over to the bed, putting his hand on the woman's wrist and timing her pulse.

"Helen?" He shook her gently. "Helen, it's Jarod. Can you hear me?"

The woman continued to stare blankly at the ceiling and the pretender turned to the young man in the doorway, shaking his head.

"It's been over thirty minutes now. If it were going to work, it would have. We'll try the next one."

Steve nodded. "That was the one we had most doubt about anyway. The second treatment's still being distilled but it should be ready in twenty minutes."

"Fine, bring it up then and we'll see what happens."

Jarod watched the man leave the room and then reached down to pull up the second blanket that lay on the end of the bed, gently covering the woman before he placed a hand over her eyes and closed the lids. Hearing a gasp from behind him, he turned to see Miss Parker in the doorway and stepped over to put a hand on her shoulder.

"No, Parker, no. She's alive, it's all right."

"So… so why…?"

"She can't blink, Parker, and if her eyes get too dry, they could get damaged."

"Have you done it before?"

"I didn't think about it until right now. If I'd known you were there I wouldn't have done it at all. But Helen's still alive."

"Do you call that alive?"

"In the most basic sense of the word, yes."

"And, if we didn't do anything, what would happen?"

"If we didn't do anything, or if the treatments don't work, which might be the other possibility, her body will slowly waste away. We could keep her alive for years by tube feeding, but she’d always be like that."

He waved towards the figure on the bed, watching Miss Parker give a slight shudder.

"Is she...suffering?" the woman asked hesitantly.

"No,” he assured her gently. “She has no idea what's going on. She can't see, hear or think now. If any of the treatments work, she won't remember any of this."

"How did you know what to give her?"

"When we went into the room to get her, there were a few syringes on the table next to her. Most contained drugs that they were going to give her next, but one, fortunately, was the used syringe that had put her into that state." He glanced at the bed before looking back at the woman in front of him. "Using that, and having worked out the contents of the drugs they were going to give her, we've got a very complete picture of the whole project - and it's a nasty one."

"Who was doing it?"

"David," Jarod admitted after a moment of silence.

"What?!" She stared at Jarod in shock. "A four-year-old?"

Jarod response was quiet. "I did a similar simulation at that age. This one had different eventual results but Raines exploited the fact that a four-year-old couldn't have a strong moral conscience to persuade him that the drug he made wasn't very dangerous."

"How did you find that out?"

"Broots hacked into the system to find out about the project. Although it was done by a codename – as they all are – Helen had retrieved David's real file when she got all three of them out, as you know, and the name was in there." Jarod glanced at the woman on the bed and his eyes became sad. "If the boy ever found out that he was responsible for doing this to the woman he's starting to love like a mother, it would destroy him."

"So we don't tell him." Miss Parker shrugged before looking more closely at the man. "Is that why you didn't just ask him what he'd made?"

"Exactly. That child is amazingly quick, and I'm sure he would have got at least a hint as to why we wanted the information."

"As quick as you were at his age?"

Jarod smiled faintly. "Probably."

"Sam asked if you'd come up with any way to beat the Triumvirate," Miss Parker queried, after a few minutes of silence

"I suggested he and Sydney try that."

"He felt that with the benefit of three, no, four," she rapidly recalculated. "Five pretenders in this house, leaving something like that to people without such large advantages would result in a second-class plan."

Jarod raised an eyebrow, thankful to have something to take his mind off its current problem. "He said that?"

"Every word, except for the extra numbers."

"I never knew Sam was that articulate."

"Except when he's in Sydney's office, he seems to be," she agreed with a faint smile.

The Pretender smiled also. "I was impressed that you lasted for that entire conversation without speaking."

"I just wanted to see his response when he finally know I was there," she told him.

"And was it as good as you were hoping for?"

"Better. I didn't know people could jump that high without a springboard."

"Thank you, Miss Parker," Sam remarked, as he appeared in the doorway. "I'm not willing to say many other positive things about the place, but the Centre does have a fitness regime that has to be considered first-class."

"Is there anything you wanted, Sam?" the other man asked.

"I've got something to show Miss Parker and, when I found that she was up here, I thought I'd see how Helen was as well."

"She’s no different." Jarod moved aside so the other man could see the woman on the bed. "The first possible treatment didn't work so Steve and Jon are preparing the next one."

"Do you think that one will work?"

"We won't know until we try, Sam." He nodded at the laptop in the sweeper’s hand. "What did you want to show Miss Parker?"

Walking over to the table, the man placed the machine down and opened it, activating the file that showed the Triumvirate meeting discussing the capture of Helen and stepped away so the others could watch it. For almost ten minutes there was silence, before Miss Parker finally spoke.

"If Raines wasn't already dead, I'd happily shoot the bastard myself."

"Why lower yourself to second best?" Sam's tone was bitter. "Why worry about Raines when the devil incarnate is sitting in that chair and directing his helpers?"

"Did Broots find that?"

"Yes, and something else as well." He started a second file and turned away from the machine to walk over to the bed and sit down on the edge of it, putting out a hand to touch the woman's face. Once the file, showing the discussion of a planned T-Board for the pursuit team, finished, Jarod stepped over, placing his hand on the man's shoulder.

"Sam, we'll do it. I swear to you, we'll pay him back for everything, but it wouldn't be fair to Helen for any of us to risk our lives yet. She needs all of us." Hesitating, Jarod leaned forward slightly. "Especially you."

"Always assuming that these drug treatments of yours work."

"If they don't work, then we'll try everything we can think of, between the three of us, until we find something that does." Jarod moved around until he was standing in front of the man. "Sam, Helen is almost as important to all of us as she is to you, and we all owe her large debts. We aren't just going to leave her like this."

"She'd be better off dead," the sweeper muttered.

Jarod forced a note of firmness into his voice. "You can't give up on Helen, not yet. I know seeing her like this makes it more difficult, but you have to try and believe that something will work, that she's going to return to the way she was before."

"Will she be? If one of these should happen to work, will she be the same or will it have affected her in some other way?"

"I don't know, Sam," the Pretender responded. "I'd like to tell you definitively, one way or the other, but I can't know that. Nobody does."

"So she could end up, what, handicapped in some way?"

"It couldn't be worse than the way she is now," Miss Parker stated softly from on the other side of the room. "No matter what she became, even if she had no idea who any of us were, it could only be better than the state she's in now."

"I even denied knowing who she was."

The sweeper's voice became a pain-filled whisper as he muttered the sentence and Jarod's hand tightened its hold on the man's shoulder.

"If you hadn't, we would never have got her out. I couldn't have got past Willie on my own - I didn't even bring a gun with me last night - so right now she’d have been being 'retrained' by her brother and you would either have been in the same situation yourself, or else dead, if you hadn't done it. Helen would - she will understand the necessity of it."

The sweeper hesitated for a moment before looking at the man who was standing in front of him.

"Give me something to do, Jarod, please. I can't stand this."

"You can make lunch for everybody - you and Miss Parker. I know," he added as he saw the look of frustration in the man's eyes, " it doesn't sound like much, but it's as important as anything else we're doing. We have to give an impression to the children that everything's all right and meals at the usual times are a good way of doing that. Besides," he added quietly. "It might help take your mind off things."

# # #


"Sam."

The man looked up as he entered the living room to see the small boy scramble down from Charles’ lap father and run towards him. The sweeper picked him up.

"What is it, David?"

"Where's Helen?"

"She's in bed, baby. She's not very well."

"Oh." The boy looked at Sam. "Are you worried about her?"

"Yes," the man admitted softly.

"Do you care about her?"

"Very much."

"She cares about you, too." The child gave a satisfied smile. "I saw it in her face when both of you were talking in the kitchen."

The man half-smiled. "I thought you were reading one of your new books then."

"I was, but I could hear the way she talked, too." The boy put both arms around the man's neck and hugged him. "Are you going to make lunch now?"

"What would you like for lunch?"

"Ice cream?" the child suggested.

Sam's smile widened somewhat. "Not for a meal, David. That's only for dessert. You have to eat proper, healthy food, before you get to dessert." He carried the boy into the kitchen and opened the fridge. "What do you want? You pick."

David looked from the food to the man who was holding him. "Is Helen too sick to eat?"

"Yes, baby."

The man tried to prevent himself from wondering if the woman lying upstairs would ever eat again, but the thought came into his mind before he could stop it, and he saw from the expression on the boy's face that David had noticed a flicker of emotion in his eyes.

"We should keep that," David leaned forward and touched one of the containers, "for when Helen can eat, ‘cause it's her favorite."

"Did she tell you that?"

"Uh huh, when she was making it last night."

Sam shut his eyes briefly to force back the wave of emotion that he was feeling and then looked back at the boy, whose expression was one of growing concern, forcing another smile. "If we're keeping that, what should we have?"

"This one."

David touched another large container and Sam picked it up with his free hand and put it on the table.

"What else?"

"Isn't that enough?"

"We've got a lot of people to feed, David." He closed the fridge and went to the pantry, opening it. Taking out a number of other tins that the child indicated, Sam placed them on the table, before putting the boy down on the floor. "You help Miss Parker make lunch, okay?"

"Where will you be, Sam?" The woman spoke quietly from the corner.

"I'm going for a walk." The sweeper took his coat and pulled it on. "I won't be long, but you don't need to keep anything for me."

"You have to eat."

"I'll have something later if I'm hungry."

"Sam." The woman's voice was warning.

"Please, Miss Parker, don't make things more difficult right now." The man turned, and she could see the pain in his eyes. Slowly she nodded.

"All right, but don't be too long."

"I'll try not to be." The door slammed behind the man and David looked up.

"Is he mad?"

"No, sweetheart." Miss Parker picked up the boy, forcing a smile. "He just needs a bit of time on his own."

"Is he going to cry?"

"Maybe."

"Helen said to me that, if I ever want to cry, I should just do it and not keep it in."

"Sam's a grown man, baby, and adults don't cry in front of other people."

"Even if it's better to let out what you're feeling?"

"Even then."

The boy considered this for a second. "Isn't that kind of silly? If you don't show it, people won't know what you're really feeling, and they won't know what to do to make you feel better."

She laughed awkwardly. "That's very true, David. You're a very clever boy."

"Indeed," commented a soft voice from the doorway and the woman jumped before turning.

"I didn't know we had company."

"Considering how many people are in this house right now, it shouldn't be all that surprising that one comes into a room where you are, should it, Parker?"

"I've hardly seen any of them. Where is everyone?"

"Steve and Jon are in the lab making up the third treatment, Angelo and Debbie are playing with Michael, Jarod's father, and Sam's mother are talking while Broots and Ethan are keeping an eye on things in the Centre. You, David and I are here, Jarod is up with Helen and Sam's walking."

Miss Parker rolled her eyes. "No wonder we needed so much food. We've got to supply an army."

"As long as the army gets the job done, Miss Parker, then it doesn't really matter, does it?"

Meeting the psychiatrist's eye, and understanding the underlying meaning behind his words, she nodded slowly and, putting David on a chair, they silently began to prepare lunch.
Part 20 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 20



Ashe, New York
"So what's going on in Blue Cove?"

"They finally managed to get the door open."

"How?" Miss Parker looked at the technician with a raised eyebrow.

"External communication from the Centre is impossible but the blockade can't cut communication within the building. They called for help."

Sydney glanced at his watch. "What took so long?"

"Did you see that door, Syd? It was like a bank vault. Because it opened inwardly, they couldn't even take it off its hinges, so they eventually had to get somebody to cut a hole in it. That lasted for hours."

"Well, I'm sure Helen's loving brother must be in a wonderful mood after that."

"That combined with the fact that she isn't there for him to take his bad mood out on her is making him a little red-faced with rage, yes."

"Well, she did say she was good at that."

The five people in the living room looked up as Steve came down the staircase, but he shook his head. "The second treatment didn't work either. We've administered the third, so we should know by early morning if it's going to work or not."

"This will be a long afternoon," Sam's mother sighed, gazing through the window and watching as snow began to fall outside.

"It's been a long day," Miss Parker muttered before looking at Jarod's father. "Are you going to stay, or will you go back to your wife and Emily?"

"I'm going back to them, but I'll leave Jon and Ethan in case they can help." The man got up and looked around. "In fact I might go now. It's a few hours away and I don’t want to find myself driving through a blizzard."

"Give us a number and we'll call you in the morning to let you know how she is," the psychiatrist suggested.

"Thanks, Sydney." The man took a piece of paper that Broots offered, wrote out a phone number and handed it over. "No matter what happens, even if there's no change, we want to know."

"I understand." Sydney slipped the scrap into his pocket and watched the man go down into the cellar to tell Jon and Ethan what was planned. The psychiatrist looked back at the technician. "So what's happening now?"

"You mean apart from our beloved boss threatening to kill us as soon as they find us? Not a lot."

"So they figured out the connection?"

Miss Parker's voice was almost a sneer. "The fact that we're not there and Sam's disappearance should give them a small clue, don't you think? Helen's brother isn't that stupid."

"How will they find us, though?” Sydney protested. “They can't send sweepers out. Nobody ought to be able to leave the building."

"Yes, but he doesn't know that yet. He's just ordered the blockade lifted, and it'll take a little while before they realize that mine's overridden theirs." Broots increased the volume on the computer so that the others could hear the conversation in progress.

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"So who was it? Jarod? His father? Who?"

"We don't know, sir. We won't know until the blockade's lifted so we can get into the security system footage."

"You mean you have no control over the security system?"

"We can see what's being viewed now, sir, but we can't play recorded footage until the blockade is lifted and that will be about ten minutes from now."

"Is everyone accounted for?"

"All except four people, sir."

"Four?"

"Angelo, Sam, Willie and the woman."

"Fool!" The man slammed his hand down on the desk. "I know she's missing. Are you a complete imbecile?"

"If you say so, sir."

"I do say so." The man glared at the figure in front of him, who was visibly trembling as a bead of sweat ran down his face. "So where's Angelo?"

"As I said, sir, we don't know."

"And, of course, you 'don't know' where Willie is either."

"Peter reported that Willie said last night he no longer trusted Sam and was going to keep an eye on him while he was guarding the air vent."

"And that, doubtless, is where he still is now." The man glared at the table before turning to one of his fellow Triumvirate members. "Right now, what information do we have about Sam?"

"Very little about his history but quite a lot of personal information - family and so on."

"And has it been verified?"

"Yes."

"Good." The man's dark expression faded, a smirk starting to curl his top lip as an idea obviously occurred to him. "I'm sure, as with our prize Pretender, the way to Sam’s obedience is through his family. I want you to bring all members of his family to the Centre. If he doesn't show up within twenty-four hours, we'll start to 'persuade' him that it would be a good idea to do so."

"W… we can't… until… the blockade…" The security technician's words were near to being inaudible from terror.

"Then we'll wait until the blockade's been lifted," the man snarled. "Get out of my sight."

# # #


Ashe, New York
The four people in the room watched as the man behind the desk withdrew a gun from his holster and, the moment the technician turned, shot him in the back. The man fell to the floor and lay still as Broots reached out a hand and shakily pushed down the lid of the machine, but not before the occupants could hear the man's words.

"Too slow."

Sydney glanced over to see the ashen face of the woman beside him and put out a hand to touch her arm. "It's all right, they won't get you. Even if you were at home, they can't send people to find you."

Broots opened the laptop and, eyes averted, shut down all access to the security footage before typing busily for a moment and looking up. "If they do manage to find a way around my blockade, I've just blocked Sam's personnel file. They have no chance of opening that." His eyes brightened as he thought of something. "I'll do that for the rest of us as well."

As he set to work, Sam's mother raised her eyes, the shock still clear in them as she turned to the others. "What kind of people does my son work for?"

"The worst kind," Miss Parker replied softly. "As do the rest of us, because, if you start, there's no way out."

"It seems Helen’s in the best position of any of us," Sydney remarked. "She’s not only never begun working there, but has been doing everything she could, for all the time she's known about it, to tear the place apart."

"By rights, it really should be our turn," the woman stated.

"The problem is finding the right place to attack them."

"The mainframe was pretty effective," Miss Parker commented drily.

"It would be nasty," the technician stated airily, "if they couldn't get access to the new one either."

"Can you do that?” Sydney demanded.

"I just did. The blockade will appear to have deleted all of the information they've been putting in during the last few weeks since Helen's theft cut them off from the old one."

"Can they access it?"

"Yes. The blockade didn't cut them off from it, because it doesn't work like that, but now there's nothing for them to find if they go hunting - including every detail that was in our personnel files, and even past staff like Michelle or Jacob."

A faint smile flickered across Sydney's face and Miss Parker looked sharply over at him.

"Is she safe?"

"Well, she is now, but yes, I called her soon after we got her and arranged for her to join Nicholas where he's currently working, and travel elsewhere. I know it's not possible to ever be completely safe from the Centre, but even I have no idea where they're going, so they should be safer than if they'd stayed in Albany."

"They could come here."

"No." The psychiatrist shook his head. "There's already too many people here so we don't want to draw attention to ourselves by bringing more. Remember that Helen usually lives here alone. I've been trying to find a way to send more of us away, but I can't think of anything, not yet anyway."

"None of the rest of us will want to leave," Miss Parker protested.

"That's been my problem. Still, let's see what happens and then we can consider it later."

"And in the meantime?" Broots put in.

"In the meantime, let's see how many other Achilles' heels the Centre has for us to attack."

# # #


Sam silently unlocked the back door of the house and let himself inside, shutting it after him and relocking it, before hanging up his coat. Glancing up, his eyes met those of the man who had just opened the door from the living room.

"Are you okay?"

"I think so. Did it...?"

"No, the second didn't work either, and we won't know about the third until some time tonight."

Nodding slowly, the sweeper sank into a chair at the table. "And the Centre?"

"They're trying to recover, but Broots blocked their access to the new mainframe as well."

"Sounds good."

The man's voice was emotionless and Sydney shut the door, moving over to put on the kettle.

"I know you won't want to eat, but you're at least going to have something hot to drink."

"Doctor, please..."

"Sam, the last thing Helen needs is for you to be too weak to take care of her. I'm not forcing you to eat, but I'm not giving you an option about the drink. Clear?"

"Yes, sir."

His face expressionless, Sam wrapped both hands around the mug that was given to him by the psychiatrist, sipping the contents. There was a faint look of humor in his eyes as he glanced up.

"I don't normally take sugar."

"You need it," the doctor affirmed.

"Enough to rot every tooth in my head?"

"I'm sure Jarod's pretended to be a dentist or orthodontist at some point since he escaped. He'll be able to do a quick extraction."

Sam smiled slightly. "Is everybody still here? I thought there were more cars out the front when I left."

"Jarod's father's gone back to take care of the rest of his family, but he left Jon and Ethan here to help. We'll call him to let him know how things are going."

"Did they find Willie yet?"

"Sam, there's a blockade, remember? Nobody can leave the Centre buildings."

The sweeper nodded slowly, his eyes traveling back to the tabletop, and Sydney eyed him in concern.

"Sam, I think you should try to get some rest."

"I'm fine, sir."

"No, you're not. What time did you finish duty last night?"

"Half an hour before I was called to 'identify' Helen."

"So, after what you said to me, I'll assume you didn't sleep at all when you spent the night with Helen, meaning that you won't have slept for almost sixty hours."

"Probably. Maybe a little less."

"If you want to manage to stay awake tonight, you'll need to sleep for some time this afternoon."

"I've had to stay awake for longer than that before."

"Not when you emotions are drained by worrying about someone else, particularly somebody as important to you as Helen is."

"I'm not going to be able to sleep."

"Even just lying down for a few hours would help."

The psychiatrist eyed him, but the other man jumped in before Sydney could speak again.

"You aren't giving me an option about this either, are you, sir?"

Sydney smiled, shaking his head. "No, Sam, I'm not."

# # #


Jarod looked up as the door opened and then returned to the page of details for the project that he was rereading.

"Any change?"

"No, and nor do I expect any for," the Pretender consulted his watch, "more than ten hours."

"Are you going to get some sleep, Jarod?"

The younger man shook his head as Sydney sat down next to him. "I got a couple of hours last night before Steve called."

"Where were you?"

"New Jersey. Helen's house in Falk, actually. She gave me a key."

"Calm down. I wasn't going to accuse you of trespass."

The younger man grinned faintly before becoming more serious. "How's Sam?"

"I talked him into lying down for a while, but I doubt he'll sleep."

"Unless he does, the bruises under his eyes will rival that on Helen's face."

"Is that going to be a problem?"

"Well, it'll give her one hell of a headache, but I checked and there's no bleeding in or around her eyes, so I don't think it's any more than an extensive bruise. As her skin was unbroken, whoever did it was obviously very practiced in that particular maneuver."

Jarod's voice became somewhat bitter as he spoke and the psychiatrist changed the subject rapidly.

"Did you get lunch?"

"You're a little bit late with your civilities, Sydney. It's after five," Jarod grinned. "But, yes, Parker brought me up something."

"And do you want dinner?"

"Not yet, but later."

# # #


The sound of the door opening awoke Jarod from a light sleep, and he glanced up at where Sam was drowsing in the other chair before his gaze turned to the bed. The woman lay unmoving, her eyes closed, but the sight of the newcomer to the room brought Jarod hurriedly to his feet, and he picked up the boy, who was struggling to climb up onto the mattress.

"David, what are you doing?"

The boy's eyes were wide as he looked up at the man. "I haven't seen Helen for the whole day!"

His emphasis on the last two words brought a slight smile to the Pretender's face.

"She's been sick, David. I don't think you should see her yet."

"She might feel better from seeing me."

"No, David. I don't want you to."

The boy's lower lip trembled, but he stopped it. "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

For a moment the boy paused. "Can I see her when she's better?"

"I promise that you'll be among the first people she sees when she's better. But now I want you to go back to bed."

"Will you take me there?"

Jarod smiled. "Okay, because you've been so good, I will."

The boy put his arms around Jarod's neck as the Pretender went to the door and looked up at him with such an expression of curiosity on his face that the man had to smile again.

"What is it, baby?"

"How long's she going to be sick for?"

"We're not too sure, David. Maybe the next few days."

"What's wrong with her?"

"I'll tell you some other time. It's late now, and you should be asleep."

Jarod quietly opened the door of the boy's bedroom, trying not to disturb the man who lay on the camp bed in the corner. Pulling the blankets straight, he folded them back and put the child down.

"Will you still be here in the morning?"

"Of course, David. What makes you think I wouldn't be?"

"I heard Helen tell Debbie she'd never want to rely on you hanging around, so I thought you might not be here."

At the sound of the laughter from the corner, Jarod looked around as Sydney sat up and, his own lips twitching, the Pretender turned to the boy again.

"Not this time, David. I'll still be here when you wake up in the morning, but now I want you to be good and go to sleep for me."

"Okay."

The boy lay down and shut his eyes as Jarod pulled up the blankets so they covered him. At the doorway, he turned to find Sydney standing next to him, and the men watched the boy for several minutes before leaving the room.

"That's obedience."

"That's Helen," commented a soft voice from beside them. "Even in only a couple of days, she's taught David that, if somebody tells him to do something, there has to be a good reason for it."

"I thought you were in bed, Steve," Jarod protested.

"I was, but I thought I'd get up and see how Helen was."

The three turned as the door of Helen's room opened and the sweeper came out. "Any change?"

"None that I could see. I heard your voices. That's why I came out."

Sydney put his hand on the man's arm. "Sam, go and lie down for a couple of hours. It won't help anybody if you're exhausted and Jarod and I can watch for a while."

"Are you sure, sir?"

Jarod nodded in agreement. "I'll come in and let you know the instant there's any change."

Numbly the man nodded, allowing the psychiatrist to lead him into the third room, as Steve and Jarod walked into the middle one.

"Our estimate was about thirteen hours, right?"

Jarod glanced at his watch as Steve nodded. "So there’s another hour or two before she should show any real signs..."

"There was nothing that we could think of that would be more effective..."

"Steve, I'm not criticizing you." Jarod put his hand on the other man's arm, trying not to laugh. "I'm just thinking aloud. It's a terrible habit; one Sydney never liked either."

"A person of your intelligence shouldn't need a sounding board," the psychiatrist remarked as he walked in. "Yes, it is a terrible habit, and one you really should try to rid yourself of."

"Sometimes other people can give me ideas as well," the Pretender remonstrated in hurt tones. "I always thought the benefits of that outweighed the negatives."

"I would only accept that excuse if you were coming down with something again, and you've tried that one."

"You were never as nice to me as you were when I was sick," the man grumbled, turning away.

"Well, we can't afford for you to fake another illness, not now."

Steve watched in amazement as redness flooded Jarod's face and his gaze sank in the direction of the floor.

"You said you weren't going to mention that again."

"I won't, unless I think you need a reminder."

"Oh, go to bed," Jarod protested. "Both of you, shoo. I'll call you if I need help."

# # #


Helen stared blankly at the ceiling for several seconds before blinking to moisten eyes that felt as if they had been open for hours. A vague sense began to grow in her that something was wrong, that something terrible would happen unless she did something prevent it and she tensed as, for an unknown reason, an image of Angelo appeared in her mind. Her action added to the pain she had felt earlier, and also emphasized the feeling that she was about to get sick. Looking around, she saw a familiar figure standing with his back to her, intently reading something, and Helen wanted to call out, but felt that such an extreme action as that one would increase the urge to bring up her most recent meal. She permitted a soft moan to escape her lips, watching as Jarod turned rapidly in response.

"Helen?"

Moving quickly to the bedside Jarod immediately understood the problem, putting his arm around her back and lifting her to a sitting position. Taking a plastic bowl, he put it under her chin. As she retched he picked up a damp cloth, gently wiping her forehead and holding her until the nausea passed. Panting, she leaned back against his arm, grateful for the support, feeling as if the world had started to spin around her, as he wiped the rest of her face with the cloth.

"You should have mentioned something to your brother about reacting this badly to anesthetics."

"I… I don't…"

"Shh." He gently put a finger against her lips. "Don't talk yet." Jarod picked up a glass of water and held it to her mouth. "Just sip it. More than that and you'll only bring it all up again."

Thankfully she swallowed the water, trying to rid herself of the bitter aftertaste in her mouth, and looked at Jarod as he put the glass down, moistening her dry lips before speaking.

"What happened?"

"How much do you remember?"

"Not much, or I wouldn't be asking, would I?"

He grinned faintly. "I don't want to have to say things that you already know."

For a minute she gazed thoughtfully at the wall before the cause of her abrupt departure from the house returned and she tensed.

"Angelo!"

"He's fine. He's downstairs - asleep, I hope. There was never anything wrong with him."

"So...it was a ploy? He was telling the truth?"

"For once, yes." Jarod watched as Helen's hand snaked up to the side of her face, and he held it down. "That will hurt like crazy, nearly as much as swimming with a broken leg. Leave it alone."

"Since when did you become my doctor?"

"Since your brother decided he didn't like you as you were, and tried to erase all traces of the old you and start over."

"He what?" She stared at him, sitting up straighter, but, feeling the world begin to spin once more, she sank back against Jarod's arm.

"Whoa, take it easy. Considering what you've gone through in the last twenty-four hours, you're doing well for me to let you sit up at all."

"What day is it?"

"It's," he consulted his watch, "nearly three thirty tomorrow morning. As you were trying to sneak in to the Centre, at almost precisely this time yesterday, your beloved brother and his black-suited buddies caught you. They knocked you out - which explains the decorative bruises on the side of your face and your dizziness - and sedated you before trying out a new project that expunges the subject of their old personality in order to create a new one."

"Project Regeneration?"

Jarod looked startled. "Actually, yes. How did you...?"

"It was one of the projects I knew was highest priority." She began to giggle, but stopped as it made her headache increase. "I never imagined that I'd be a subject of it."

"Neither did we." He grinned weakly. "And we weren't too happy about it either."

"You think I was?"

"You weren't thinking at all. That's the point of Regeneration." He placed a finger against her lips again as she opened them to reply. "That's enough now. You need to sleep off that concussion and you haven't had a chance yet."

"Revenge is sweet," she muttered as Jarod gently put her down on the pillow and he laughed softly, pulling up the blankets to cover her.

"It certainly is. You've got a few days of hell coming up."

"I can wait." She yawned but then looked at him sharply. "Where are the kids?"

"They're fine," he soothed. "They're both in bed and asleep. You can see them in the morning."

"It's already morning," she commented, suppressing another yawn. "You said so, and I’ve got no choice but to believe you."

Jarod's lips twitched. "They don't call you a genius for nothing, do they?"

"They don't call me a genius at all," she retorted quickly with a faint grin on her face. "That's your department."

He laughed quietly. "You can see them later. I told David he'd be one of the first people you saw, and I intend to keep that promise, but only if you sleep now."

"You couldn't keep me awake if you tried," she murmured, closing her eyes. "But there's no need to test your power."

"I have no intention of it. Not yet, anyway."

Jarod saw a smile appear briefly on her face before she relaxed, lips parting in a soft sigh as she fell asleep. Gently, he put a hand on her wrist, timing her pulse, before he nodded in satisfaction. Leaving the room, he tapped softly on the next door and pushed it open, speaking quietly.

"Sam?"

"Jarod?” The man sat up immediately. “What is it? Is she...?"

"Shh, you'll wake up Michael. She's fine. She just came around and she's completely lucid with as good a memory of the whole incident as I could have hoped for."

"So… she won't…?"

"No, I promise you that she won't die. Right now she's sleeping off the headache caused by the blow to her head, and she was rather sick when she first woke up, but that could be a reaction to the anesthetic as much as the concussion."

"Can I see her?"

"Not right now. Like I said, she's asleep, so she doesn't seem all that different from the last time you saw her. Also, if she happened to wake up, she'd want to talk to you and she needs rest now, even more than she needs you." He grinned. "You could probably do with some sleep yourself or you'll be as inarticulate as on when you were talking to Sydney into letting you come to Iowa… I mean, New York."

"You were listening?"

"Not from here, but yes, I was. It was highly entertaining." Jarod grinned. "Do you want something to help you to sleep or can you manage on your own?"

"I'll do my best to manage it myself. If I'm still tossing and turning in a few hours, I might consider begging then."

"Sounds good. I've wanted to hear a sweeper begging for a long time."

"Considering the letter of resignation I have planned, you may not get one."

"Oh, darn. I was so looking forward to that." Jarod's expression of annoyance faded into a grin as he reopened the door. "Get some sleep, Sam, and you can spend the rest of the day with her once she wakes up, I promise."

"Jarod?" a voice asked as he closed the door.

The man looked up sharply to see Sydney in front of the closed door to the middle bedroom. "Did I hear voices before?"

"Yes, you did." The Pretender smiled. "Helen came around about twenty minutes ago, and she's doing well."

"So what were you...?"

"After she fell asleep, I went in to tell Sam. Do you want to go and tell Steve and Jon while I sit with her?"

"And when I come back, you can go to bed for some sleep yourself."

"Oh, can I?" The man folded his arms and leaned against the wall. "We'll see."

"Jarod, you've been awake for twenty-four hours straight, driving for a lot of it, as well as needing to be concerned about Helen. You'll need to get at least some sleep so that you can keep looking after her. After all, you were up for the first time after being sick yourself only ten days or so ago."

"Shouldn't you be worrying about Helen and not about me?" the pretender retorted.

"I'm quite capable of worrying about more than one person at a time." Sydney shot a stern glance at the young man as he began to go down the stairs. "I mean it, Jarod."

"Okay, okay." Unable to suppress a smile, Jarod went into the bedroom to check the condition of the sleeping woman.

# # #


With a slight yawn, Helen opened her eyes to find Sydney standing by the bed, holding her wrist and timing her pulse.

"Two doctors now? I'm going to be overtreated, if there is such a term."

"Well, when you disobey your first lot of medical orders, it's only fair that I get a second chance, don't you think?"

"Extenuating circumstances. Besides, most doctors make terrible patients."

"You won't get the chance to be otherwise than a good patient, believe me," Sydney told her.

She laughed softly. "What time is it?"

"Almost ten."

"And do I get fed or is my second doctor taking his revenge by not giving me that option?"

"Are you hungry?"

Helen cast an amused look at Jarod as he appeared in the doorway. "You're the one who said I was unconscious for twenty-four hours, and I'm assuming that my brother wasn't nice enough to feed me at any point, so shouldn't I be hungry, or at least allowed to think about food?"

"If you think about it in the way you thought about it when you first came around,” Jarod retorted, “then no, you aren't allowed to."

"I promise, I'll keep down whatever I eat."

"I'm glad to hear it," Sydney laughed. "I'll go and get something, while Jarod gives you the lecture we planned for going to the Centre, regardless of all orders to the contrary."

"As I said, extenuating circumstances." Helen laughed again, despite the fact that it increased the slight headache she had. "How is Angelo anyway?"

"Fine. He's been playing with David and his train set." Jarod sat down on the bed and put a gentle hand on her forehead. "How are you feeling?"

"Other than feeling like someone's used me as a punching bag, not bad. I may not even complain if you make me stay in bed today."

"Today, tomorrow and we'll see about the day after." Jarod took a flashlight out of the bag that sat beside the bed, directing the beam briefly into her eyes to check her responses. "There's still the last vestiges of that concussion around."

"Any vestiges of your weakness?"

"You told Sydney, through your 'messenger', that I was fine," he reminded her as he sat back.

"Based on my observations, not what you told me. But if you’ve carried me out of the Centre then you can't be that bad."

Jarod grinned. "So you think I'd go to the effort of carrying your unconscious body through the air vents? No, I was too busy making sure Angelo didn't keel over."

"So who...?" Trailing off, she glanced at him, a hopeful look in her eyes. "Sam?"

"Who else?" He laughed softly before raising his voice. "Come on in, Sam."

The door was rapidly opened and the man walked into the room, his sole focus on the woman in the bed, to the total exclusion of the room's third occupant.

"Helen?"

"Hi." She held out a hand and he took it, sitting down on the place that Jarod had rapidly vacated.

"Are you okay?"

She smiled. "I'm better now that I know you're alright."

He looked slightly startled. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because I know you were inside the Centre when I went there. That was my one concern when I was confronted by my brother - that they might somehow realize you knew me." Her expression became concerned. "I thought they might kill you, or threaten you to keep me there, or maybe even blame you for my escape when they found out about it."

"If you were so concerned," Jarod remarked from the other side of the room as he looked through the papers again. "All you had to do was ask, and I would have told you that he was in Michael's room."

"In Michael's bed as well?"

Helen's lips twitched as she spoke, seeing the expression of relief that appeared on Sam's face at her response and she squeezed his hand. Jarod, meanwhile, came back over to the bedside and looked down at her with an air of exasperation.

"Are you going to be this annoying for the whole of your recovery?"

"If you give me enough opportunities, yes. Besides, it'll be a good way of making sure that I'm not being doctored for one single moment longer than necessary."

"There's gratitude for you!" Jarod rolled his eyes. "All the things I've done..."

"And what about all the things I've done for you?" Helen responded quickly. "With all your broken bones and measles and I still haven't received a thank you."

"I think she wins, Jarod," Sydney remarked laughingly from the doorway, a tray in his hands. "It's not even as if you were working on this one by yourself."

"Speaking of 'this one'," Helen asked seriously as Sam helped her to sit up, piling pillows behind her back. "Does David know that he was responsible for this?"

"He doesn't even know what was wrong with you," Sydney replied calmly, putting the tray across her knees. "We decided to keep it a secret. All he knows is that you haven't been too well."

"And just when were you thinking about all this?" Jarod asked sternly.

"As soon as I was able to think at all," she replied crushingly. "Unlike at least one other individual I could name, I didn't get something that might affect my ability to think during my recovery, and nor did I deny being sick until I was on the verge of collapse."

"You won before, Helen," Sam remarked quietly. "You don't need to keep scoring points now."

"Not even if I want to? It's so much easier against Jarod than it ever was against you that it’s almost impossible not to." The woman giggled. "Although, as I said to my brother, I always did enjoy a challenge."

"Helen..."

"Sam, I'm alright. Honestly. I won't deny that I've got a headache and I'm not too keen on the idea of getting out of bed right now, and I know you've been worrying since it happened but I promise that I'm okay." Leaning over with care for the tray, she gently kissed him. "Please, I’d hate to think that you're still worrying about me when it's no longer necessary."

"Are you sure?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Don't I sound sure?"

"Okay, okay." He raised his hands in protest. "No worrying, I get it."

"Good." She kissed him again. "And as a reward for such wonderful obedience I suggest that you let Jarod spend tonight in the bed you slept in last night and you can spend the night watching me sleep again."

"Now that's definitely an offer I can't refuse."

Sydney glanced at Jarod. "I think we've just been supplanted. It's very clear to me that this doctor means to take care of herself." Smothering his amusement he eyed her. "Now I know why David's so wonderfully obedient."

"I'm good at finding appropriate means of persuasion." Helen finished the last of the orange juice and put the glass back on the tray. "Talking of David, might my nice, kind, generous, thoughtful, considerate doctors allow me to see both he and Michael?"

"Hey," protested Jarod. "How come you get to suck up and I don't?"

"Isn't that obvious?" She smiled. "Because I do it so much better than you."

Sydney choked down his laughter and picked up the tray. "I'll take that away and then bring them in to see you. Anybody else?"

"Well, if you're here, then I can also assume that Miss Parker, Broots and Debbie are too, so would you mind bringing Debbie up as well? I don't want her to start feeling jealous of the other two."

"All right, but just those three and not for very long,” the Pretender ordered. “You can see all the others over time, and you've got a lot of it now."

"Oh, stop trying to assert the authority you haven't got, Jarod. Go to Med. School for years like Sydney and I did and I might condescend to listen to you." Snorting quietly, she rolled her eyes and watched Sydney struggling to hide his laughter as he left the room.

# # #


"Helen!"

"Hi, baby."

The sweeper helped the boy up onto the bed before taking the baby that Sydney held out and watching as David threw himself at Helen.

"I missed you," the boy exclaimed.

"But you've been good, right?"

David looked at Jarod out of the corner of his eye. "I've tried hard to be."

"As long as you've been trying, sweetheart, that's the most important thing."

"Hi, Mommy."

The doctor looked up at the sound of the soft voice from the doorway and held out her free arm, the other being around David.

"How's my girl?"

"Good." Debbie gave the woman a firm hug. "Are you okay?"

"I'm a lot better, sweetie, and I'll be fine in a few days."

"What's this?" David lifted his hand and put a gentle finger on the skin beside the discoloration on Helen's face as Debbie sat next to Sam.

"It's a bruise, baby," she told him.

"I know that!" He giggled. "How did it happen?"

"She fell over, David," Sydney put in from the doorway, seeing the hesitation in Helen's eyes.

"Does it hurt?"

"It's not too bad, honey."

The boy looked up at her, his eyes suddenly wide. "There's lots of people here."

"Oh, really?" Helen cast a sharp glance at Sydney, who nodded, before turning to the boy again. "And have they been playing with you?"

"Uh huh." The child beamed. "With my train."

"You like that, don't you, sweetie."

"Yes." He suddenly grinned at her slyly. "But you said that you were always going to tell me the truth and you didn't."

“Oh?” Helen raised an eyebrow. "In what way?"

"Well, when Jarod was bringing the box in, you said it was the stroller, but the box for that was a really different shape."

Hearing a faint choking from the corner of the room, she grinned. "All right, I'll say instead that I'll always tell you truth about important things, like the people you meet, and things you should or shouldn't do. Okay?"

"Yup." He hugged her again. "Will you be eating today?"

Helen caught Jarod's eye and laughed. "I certainly plan to do so, David."

"So do you want to have that thing you made before you got sick? You remember you said you really liked it."

"I do really like it, honey, and I think you will too. How about you and Debbie and Sam make that for dinner, okay?"

"Why not for lunch?" the boy demanded impatiently.

"Miss Parker and Steve are already making lunch," Sydney interposed.

"With my mother," Sam added, smiling at the expression of relief that appeared on Helen's face as he spoke.

"That's someone else I was thinking about." She looked at Sydney. "Can I...?"

"Not yet." He shook his head. "This is enough for now. More than enough."

She gave him a scornful glance in reply. "Yes, I'm sure I look like I'm about to faint away gracefully into Sam's arms."

"That could be awkward," the sweeper responded, a smile curling his lips. "I don't know whether I'd catch you or move away so you didn't land on Michael."

"Give him to me and then you don't have to worry." She took the baby as he was held out, looking down into the little face that immediately smiled in response. "Hi, sweetie."

"Ma-ma."

Helen briefly raised an eyebrow, feeling Sydney's gaze on her, before she slowly nodded, letting the child take a firm hold of her finger. "Yes, Michael," she replied softly. "If you want me to be."

"Everybody gets to call you that but me," the little boy beside her complained.

"If you want to call me that, David, then you can."

"Goody." The child gave a satisfied smile before looking at the sweeper. "Does that mean I get to call him Daddy too?"

Helen choked back a laugh at the expression on the man's face as Sam stared at David in shock.

"And why would you do that, honey?"

"Well, he really cares about you, too, and I heard him say something about wanting to marry you to Miss Parker and if he does, and you're my mom, then shouldn't that make him my dad?"

"Oh, he said that, did he?" Helen raised an eyebrow, eyeing the man and hearing the sounds of vainly suppressed laughter from the other side of the room that were increasing Sam’s feelings of discomfiture.

"Yup," continued David, oblivious to the fact that it was making everything worse. "He told her he was going to ask you when you were living together, but," the boy paused to remember what had been said. "But he thought five months wasn't very long and he didn't want you to feel pressed." The child's face frowned in concentration. "I think that last word's wrong."

"Pressured?" Sydney suggested in half-strangled tones.

"That's it." The boy beamed. "And I know you really care about him, too, so when you marry him, that should make him my dad, right?"
Part 21 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 21



Ashe, New York
"Out of the mouths of babes..." the sweeper began.

"So he was right?" Helen eyed Sam, hiding a smile. "I had to wonder."

"Can you doubt it?" Sam reached forward and gently touched the side of her face unmarred by bruising.

"Not after having seen your face when you came in." She leaned against him as he put his arm around her. "After seeing that, you'll never be able to deny any of your feelings to me again."

"You're assuming that I'd want to."

"I assume nothing." Her voice became innocent. "Assumptions are dangerous."

"Oh, really?" He eyed her. "Nothing?"

"What have I assumed?"

"Surely falling asleep on my rug was an amazing assumption," he teased.

"You didn't have to leave me there. You could have woken me up and marched me home."

"But it's the assumption of doing so in the first place I was talking about." He smiled. "Besides, it was still raining."

"And the poor engineering student didn't have an umbrella?"

"Not one that would have reached your exacting standards."

"Well, you can be satisfied that the rug came close to those standards."

"I still have it, you know." He kissed the top of her head. "Or at least Mom has it, and I know she'd happily give it back to me."

"I can't somehow see my brother letting you put it in your room at the Centre."

"But it would look good in front of the fireplace down in the living room."

"I invited you to stay the night, not to move in."

"You invited me to live with you when we were both in Minnesota. I thought it might be able to be extended to here as well."

She laughed softly. "You always did like getting your own way."

"And you've always been very accommodating in that respect." He turned her face to his, kissing her gently. "Can you remember what we talked about during that night?"

"No," she smiled. "I was hoping you'd be able to."

# # #


"That child is too observant for his own good," remarked Jarod with a grin as he threw himself into a chair in the living room, which creaked in protest.

"You were exactly the same at that age," Sydney replied. "In fact, if anything, you were worse."

"How could I have been? I never overheard discussions like that."

"No, but there were a number of times when I made flippant comments and then had them thrown back in my face several days or weeks later. I finally learned to keep my mouth shut."

"That must have been an effort," the Pretender responded sarcastically before he looked at the technician. "What's happening in Blue Cove?"

"Well, he hasn't shot anybody since we last watched," Broots responded drily as he shut the lid of the laptop. "But not much apart from than that."

"And Cox?"

"Still alive and kicking for the moment. I think he worked out what was happening and decided not to push his luck."

"So when are we going to take the last few steps and shut the place down?"

"When we come up with a plan to do so that doesn't get us all killed."

"We can always ask Helen and see what she planned."

"Let's give her some time to, er, recover first." Sydney smiled. "In the meantime, I suggest that we see how Miss Parker and Steve are going with lunch."

# # #


Sam looked up as the door softly opened and rose to his feet as Jarod entered the room.

"How's she doing?" the newcomer asked softly.

"She's been asleep for the past two hours."

The Pretender smiled. "Should I bring you up a book?"

"I've got everything I need here." The sweeper cast a fond glance at the bed and then looked back at the other man. "Are there going to be any other problems?"

"I wouldn't expect any. The drug should be completely broken down though we plan to do several blood tests to confirm that, and she's sleeping off the rest of the problems, like the concussion. If anything shows up from now on it should be in the next thirty-six hours or so. After that, she ought to be fine."

"I'm fine now," remarked a dry voice from the bed. "But I'd appreciate it if any discussion of my condition wasn't done within my hearing."

"Stay asleep, then, and you won't hear it," responded Jarod quickly.

"I would, except that I'm hungry and that always makes it hard for me to sleep."

"And you called me demanding." The Pretender rolled his eyes.

"I wasn't demanding." Helen smiled and, despite a protesting movement from the sweeper, pulled herself to a sitting position. "I was asking subtly, and nicely, for sustenance. Where's the demand in that?"

"Now you're sucking up again." Jarod crossed his arms as Sam sat next to Helen and she leaned against him.

"As I said, I do it so well that it couldn't possibly be unpleasant." She paused. "Well, do I get food brought up to me or do I have come down and get it myself?"

"You certainly aren't doing that," Sam told her firmly. "I'll bring you up anything you want, but you aren’t getting out of bed yet."

Helen smirked at Jarod. "One man in this room knows the right way to treat me."

"I'm your doctor,” he retorted quickly. “I don't have to."

"If you are my doctor - and I have reservations about that, by the way - then you should know the importance of regular meals, even if it means waking the patient up to have them." She looked at the clock that stood on the bedside table. "And, as it's now almost three pm, and nobody was nice enough to bring up lunch at the proper time, it's no wonder I'm hungry."

"Sam didn't eat either."

"Now that's just plain nasty!" She glared at Jarod. "I can cope if you neglected me, but to neglect him is horrible!"

"Okay, all right, enough!" Jarod raised both his hands in protest. "Fine, I'll feed you both. Sheesh!"

Sam grinned at Helen. "I think we won."

"I know we did." She laughed softly. "As I said, it's so easy with him. Now, if we'd had to do the same thing to Sydney..."

"Are you saying I'm less of a walk-over than Jarod?" the man’s voice demanded.

"You didn't let my finish my sentence, Sydney," she laughed, looking up at the psychiatrist as he appeared in the doorway. "I could have been going to say that it wouldn't even have taken that long."

"My mother was right," Jarod remarked. "You do plan nasty endings to all of your sentences."

"Not all," she smiled, glancing at Sam. "Only when I'm talking to some people."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"I've got something of interest to show you."

"Oh, really?" The head of the Triumvirate looked up, expressionless. "As interesting as where any of our twenty most wanted people are at the moment?"

"This has to do with one of them." The second man put a slim folder down on the table in front of his boss. "This is from Cox's office. He was in such a rush to put that information up on the new mainframe - "

"Which is now also destroyed."

"That he forgot to shred the originals. That's Sam's file."

The man opened the file and ran his eye down a list of names. "An invitation list to a graduation ball in Minnesota from fifteen years ago?"

"Three of the names on that list should be familiar to you." The man indicated the first. "Sam."

"And?"

"Peter."

"And the third?"

"Your sister." The man pointed to the other names. "That's the earliest indication of them being at the same place together and Peter, although of course, he didn't know them then, does vaguely remember seeing them dancing together for quite a while, that night."

A smile crept across the other man's face, and a sneer settled on his top lip, as he read over the list. "How very lovely," he commented sarcastically. "And, of course, Sam realized that denying any knowledge of her would tell us he knew something and make us suspicious, so he 'admitted' having seen her in the T-Board room."

"Very possibly." The man took back the file as his boss held it out. "What do you want me to do about it?"

"Order sweepers out to search that town. He might have taken her back there."

"It wouldn't do him a lot of good. She won't exactly know who he is."

"Beside the point. He'll have to have taken her somewhere. And make sure that, once you know everything Peter can tell you about the two of them, he won't get the chance to tell anybody else."

"Should we send teams anywhere else?"

"Whether we 'should' or not is beside the point," commented the third man wryly as he came into the room. "We can't."

"And why not?" His boss glared at him as the man sat down.

"The blockade won't lift. We've been trying for almost three hours now. If there's not a malfunction somewhere then somebody else has overridden our blockade with one of their own."

"And who could...?"

"There's only one person who would know enough of the system to be able to do that. The same person who designed it."

The glare reasserted itself as the head of the Triumvirate sank back in his chair. "Broots."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"I'm in trouble," Broots announced laughingly as Miss Parker and Sydney walked into the room.

"From whom?" the woman demanded.

"Helen's brother. They've found out that the blockade's permanent and that I was the only person who, in their words, 'would know enough of the system to be able to do that'."

Miss Parker sat back in the chair and looked at the technician. "But there is one other way out of the Centre. I got out when my step-mother was trying to kill my father and the power was shut down."

"But we only knew about it because Raines told us. As we know, Raines is now dead. Finally."

"Even if they use it, Parker," Sydney commented, "you said to me that the ladder was in a terrible state then, and that was almost four years ago. It must be worse now than it was and that could make it impossible to ascend."

"Besides," Broots added. "Didn't that lead to the foyer? And that's still inside Centre, meaning that they can't get out anyway."

"So they're still trapped," Miss Parker smirked. "Good."

"That's a turnaround," Sydney stated softly. "What caused the change?"

"A hard dose of reality." The woman looked down to where the baby was playing on the floor with Steve. "And it's been a long time coming."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive." She glared at the figure on the screen of the laptop that Broots had put on the table in front of them. "Helen wasn't all that wrong when she said to you that my father had been 'virtually brain-washing' me. It seems to me that it can be the only excuse for the way I changed." Turning to watch Michael begin to read a book with Steve, her glare faded. "Margaret, in her letters, has been telling me all about my mother. That made me realize how much I've grown away from her, and I know she would never have wanted it to happen."

"So now...?" the older man suggested softly.

"Now it's time I became my mother's daughter again, and not my father's."

# # #


"Jarod?" the younger Pretender offered.

"What's up?"

"Did you know about this?"

Jarod laughed. "I know about a lot of things, Steve. What particularly thing would you be referring to now?"
"This." The man turned the computer around to show Jarod, and at the sight of which, the look of amusement faded from the older man's eyes.

"Yes, Steve. I knew."

"How?"

"Helen told me. That's what she was telling me about when you appeared in the doorway of the kitchen on your first morning here."

The man looked back at his own death sentence and shuddered slightly, at sight of which Jarod reached out and closed the lid of the laptop.

"It's alright, Steve. They can't find you and they can't do it."

"They would have."

"That's the reason Angelo gave Helen your file and that she brought you here in the first place."

"So she… saved my life."

"Just like you saved hers." Jarod put his hand on the younger man's arm. "If she hadn't brought you here then we might not have been able to undo the problems that the drug caused. Jon told me that the final treatment was your idea, not his."

"Does she know that?"

"Why do you think she thanked you earlier?"

He shrugged. "I thought maybe it was because I was taking care of Michael."

"No, Steve. She knows what you did. She knows all about that project and how hard it would have been to reverse. That’s also the reason why you came up without David. She doesn't want him to know that he caused that to happened to her - and I think she's right in that respect."

"Does that mean you think she's wrong in other respects?"

"He probably thinks I'm wrong in this one," a voice interrupted laughingly and the two men turned around to see Helen, held in Sam's arms, looking enquiringly at them from the stairs. "Wouldn't you say?"

"Very definitely. What are you doing up?"

"Preventing myself from going out of my head with boredom," she smiled. "And a certain person refused to let me walk, so he had to carry me down before I send him back upstairs to get some sleep."

"And you think I'm going to let you stay up?"

"You have no say in the matter. I have no faith in your position as a doctor, let alone as my doctor and having no belief in it means that I don't have to pay any attention to a single word you say to me. I discussed it with Sydney and his professional opinion was that, as long as I don't try to walk around, he's happy for me to sit in the living room. By a fortunate twist of fate, that also happens to coincide with my professional opinion."

Jarod rolled his eyes and spoke to the ceiling. "And this is the person who said, if I made her stay in bed, that she wouldn't complain."

"That was before I had more sleep. Besides it's only for a few hours. Then Sam can take me back to bed again."

"Fine." Jarod threw up his hands. "If you 'medical' people have already discussed it, and you're so ungrateful that my opinion counts for nothing, I guess there's nothing I can do about it."

Sam lowered Helen into a chair and wrapped a blanket around her before kissing the top of head and then going upstairs. Once he was out of sight, Helen glanced at the two men with curiosity.

"So, what was the serious discussion that I intruded into?"

"I found this." Steve opened the computer again and pushed it over to Helen. "I would never have believed that they'd..."

"They didn't, Steve," she responded softly, having immediately recognized the order. "Angelo and I made sure they never got - nor ever will have - that chance."

"Why?" He looked at her enquiringly. "I'm nobody special. At least," he amended his sentence as he saw the smile on her face. "No more special than a lot of other people inside the Centre. And I know you've been getting information about Jarod's family, but I'm not a part of that. I really don't understand why you put yourself in so much danger for somebody completely unconnected with you."

"Because I do believe what the Centre is capable of,” she told him. “And I hate the thought of the damage they could do if we don't stop them. You're right to say that the majority of my attention and energy has been on Jarod and his family, but Angelo knows that I have a healthy interest in other people who have been trapped in that place and that's why, when he found the termination order, he told me about you."

"So why did he want to stay?"

"Help." The voice from beside Helen's chair was soft and the empath peered cautiously over the arm. Smiling, the doctor rested her hand on his shoulder.

"Yes, Angelo, and you do."

"Did," he told her, taking her hand and playing with her fingers.

"No, you still do." She looked up at Steve. "Angelo felt that he could continue to help all of us by having inside knowledge of the Centre. Now, of course, it would be far too dangerous for him to still be there, but we had no idea when I got all three of you out that Willie would stumble across Angelo's treasures."

Jarod looked at her sharply. "How do you know about that?"

"Sam told me. And, yes, he also told me that Willie's dead and how it happened." "And Raines?"

"I saw the DSA footage of that."

"How?" Another voice interrupted the question that Steve was about to ask, and Sydney walked into the room, sitting down opposite Helen. "When we were seeing footage of the time after your brother got back to his office, the security tech told him they couldn’t view pre-recorded footage."

"There was a small loophole, meaning that the system allows the person who set up the blockade to view the old footage, but Broots only remembered that about three hours ago, and he doesn't remember telling it to anyone when he designed the system in the first place."

"How much have you seen?"

"Well, not everything. Just a package of highlights - a 'Best Of My Brother Going Out Of His Tree', if you want to think of it that way."

Sydney smiled. "And was it entertaining?"

"Except for the mindless brutality, yes." She laughed. "So have you come up with a solution yet?"

"You mean apart from just leaving them there to starve?"

"Well, if you feel like sinking to the depths of Raines or my brother..." Helen eyed Jarod severely. "But I wouldn't have thought you'd want to be categorized with such charming people as those."

"Gee, what a toss-up. Their brutality or your sarcasm."

"Your own sarcasm's pretty good and going by what I know of your family, I'd say it has to be a dominant trait in the genes..."

Sydney interrupted softly. "Do you have a plan, Helen?"

"I've had a few ideas but I never really intended to close the place down fully."

"Why not?" Steve glanced at her enquiringly. "When you know how much they're capable of..."

"But I also know that there's a lot they know and we haven't found out yet. If I’d closed them down then a lot of secrets could have died with the place – secrets that it’d be better for us all to know and which I'm yet to locate."

"And where would they be?" A grin appeared on Jarod's face. "We read nearly all the information on the old mainframe, the new one is that same information so that won't help and you've copied the files that were in all of the offices and which are now down in the filing cabinets in your lab..."

"Not all," Helen commented thoughtfully and Jarod, brought up short by the softly spoken words, stared at her.

"What do you mean, 'not all'?"

"I mean there's one office I haven't been in." She paused. "My brother's."

Jarod opened a file on the screen that showed the head of the Triumvirate’s office and turned it around. "And in what non-existent cupboard or filing cabinet is he supposed to be hiding all these secrets? There's no storage space in that room at all."

Angelo crawled over the floor to the table and pulled the laptop onto his knee, typing for a minute before handing it to Helen, who smiled and put her hand on his head.

"I told you, Angelo, you still are helpful." She gazed at the screen again, until the older Pretender got impatient.

"Well?"

She looked up with a smile. "It's lucky I'm not ignoring you today, isn't it?"

"Helen!"

The word came from all three men and she laughed loudly before grinning at the psychiatrist. "Do you share your impatience with everybody you've been working with over the years?"

Jarod got up from the sofa and began to walk towards her, but she closed the laptop and hugged it. "Now, now, don't be hasty. It’d be awful if all your hard work of the last day or two was to be all undone, wouldn't it? And I can become just as flustered and unable to concentrate as Sydney if I want to be."

"So what was it that Angelo showed you?"

"Cupboards," the empath himself commented as he leaned against Helen's legs and began to play with her slippers.

"Correct." She reopened the machine and put it on the table, turning it so the three men could see the screen as Jarod reseated himself with a smile. "These are the blueprints of the construction of my brother's office. As you can see, there are a lot of holes and cupboards built into the walls that we’d never have known of if Angelo hadn't shown us. They just look like the wood panels."

"So that's where...?"

"That has to be where he keeps all the greatest secrets, yes, I think so. Most of the files I’d found during my thefts had to do with projects, not people. Several had to do with facets of the people - medical reports, family connections, personal history, that sort of thing. Nothing I hadn't already known about, though."

"What sorts of things were you looking for?"

"Details like who actually authorized Mirage, Gemini and projects like them; also the names of the people who ordered Thomas' murder and the accident that put Jacob in the coma..."

"Helen, that was just an accident," Sydney corrected, a look of pain in his eyes, and her eyes reflected that pain.

"No, Sydney, it wasn't. If it had been 'just an accident', then Jacob's projects wouldn't have been allocated to other people within the last twelve hours before it happened - they would have waited until afterwards."

He stared at her in shock. "How did you...?"

"Nor," Helen interrupted, the sadness increasing, "would the infirmary have been put on standby that night to prepare for an autopsy. Raines was kept back from going to his house because they expected one or both of your bodies to be brought back to the Centre once it was all over." Helen stared into the fire. "All of your projects were also ready to be handed to other people as soon as they had confirmation about the accident, and that included Jarod. But you were never the main focus. As far as I could find out, that was always your brother."

"How?"

"Well, not the brake-line this time. They did something to the steering column, so you would lose control. It just happened at a point earlier than they anticipated. They'd planned for it to occur on a curve about ten miles up the road from where it did happen and if it had transpired where they wanted it to then Jacob certainly would never have survived and neither, probably, would you."

"And…why?"

"Jacob had found out about Mirage and that, when added to his increasing guilt at his involvement with Jarod's abduction, as well as that of the other children, was turning him against the Centre. That's why, several months earlier, he went to Catherine with the plan to get the children out; a plan I'm sure you know at least something about."

The psychiatrist nodded slowly, his eyes fixed on her face. "How do you know so much about it?"

"Raines' secret hiding place had several memos that related to it. They all used a code, of course, but the dates, times and places all matched. When I discovered a far less discreet message in Mr. Parker's hiding place, it told me everything that I needed to know.” She paused. “More than I wanted to know."

"So somebody ordered it?"

"And other people carried it out. The steering column was damaged within two hours of you both getting into the car that night. A team of sweepers was waiting at the intended site, ostensibly to help but actually, I'd assume, to make sure that everything went according to plan. If you'd gone in that direction to get help for your brother, you would have walked right into their hands." She hesitated, a look of pain in her eyes. "There's no doubt that you wouldn't have walked out again."

"But I didn't..." Sydney trailed off.

"By some twist of fate, you went in the other direction, allowing you to get to a phone and call an ambulance for help. The weather stopped the sweepers from hearing the sirens and they didn't know anything about it until neither of you turned up to work the next day and, several days after that, you put in your report about it to the Triumvirate."

Steve looked up. "Was your brother...?"

The doctor smiled faintly. "Steve, the accident happened in 1967, when my brother was 13. He's good, but that would be pushing it a bit, don't you think?" Helen glanced at Sydney. "If the Centre sees a person as a threat, they get rid of them, as they did to Catherine Parker, to Jacob, and as they've done to anybody else who they saw as potentially damaging."

"As they tried to do to you," Jarod added softly and she nodded.

"If the Centre can't make a supporter, by fair means or four, then they'll get rid of them totally. I do have to say that I think you're lucky to still have both Michelle and Nicholas. I've never understood why they were allowed to live, especially after Jarod brought them to your attention." She glanced at the older pretender. "I was worried when that happened and even thought about interfering and trying to prevent it, but I couldn't bring myself to do that."

"How would you have?" Jarod asked curiously.

"The same way I prevented Sydney and Broots from opening my files. I'd abducted people before so I knew I could manage it."

"Who would you have taken?” the psychiatrist couldn’t help asking. “Me or them?"

"You," Helen responded softly. "If I'd taken them, it would have drawn attention to them, and that was what I was trying to avoid. But I made sure that I was waiting in her street when you turned up, either to keep the sweepers away or else to get the two of you to safety if they did."

"Despite the fact that you found it hard to forgive me for the way I treated Jarod in the Centre, you would still have done it?"

"Much as I was angry about that," she responded, "I couldn't stand the idea of them breaking your heart twice. I know how much she means to you and how much you mean to her..."

"How?"

Helen smiled, confident that this news would be a shock. "Michelle's my aunt."

Sydney stared at her in amazement. "Are you joking?"

"No, I'm not. My mother was her sister. She's known me for my whole life."

"So Nicholas…?"

"Your son is my cousin, yes."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't think it mattered. I'm no real relation to you - not a blood tie, anyway."

"And did you know all along?"

"Of course. I found out about Michelle when I looked through your file - and I can assure you that yours was one of the first I read. Of course, that gave her maiden name, but I was bridesmaid at her wedding and, being thirteen when it happened, I can easily remember it."

"Did she ever talk about me?"

"Often." Helen smiled. "She loved to talk about you - she still does. I rang her on the morning of the day I collected Jarod with the front of my car. She talked about you at that time, too."

"Why didn't she tell me?"

"Sydney, she has no way of knowing I know you. I never told her what I do at the Centre for the same reason I’ve never told Margaret or Sam about it. I don't like getting lectures for my awful deeds, any more than Jarod does." She grinned at him and he laughed, before looking at her curiously.

"So, if you had surviving relatives, why weren't you brought up by them?"

"According to what I found out, my mother was ten years older than Michelle and, when she and my father died, Michelle was considered too young to be able to look after me properly, so I was put into the convent. By the time she was old enough to adopt me, she was already working at the Centre and the people from the convent and from social services thought that she didn't have enough time to spend with me, and then she had her own child to bring up. They thought about it then, but when Nicholas developed his heart problems, they decided that I was better off where I was. Of course, I kept in touch with her through letters, and she visited me often, but that was all, especially after I moved to Minnesota."

"So my relationship with her prevented you from having a home when you really needed one?"

"No, Sydney," she assured him. "Fate prevented me from that. You were just one of many things that conspired to make it happen that way." She laughed. "If I had been adopted by Michelle, I'd never have met Margaret and never learned about her sons. That means I wouldn't have been in Delaware to hit Jarod, which was the start of reuniting his family, rescuing Steve and the others and thus we wouldn't have been sitting here, having this conversation because, I'm assuming, you would have already known who I was." Helen laughed at the expression on Sydney's face. "Fate, you see?"

Jarod grinned. "How can a good Catholic girl like you believe in that?"

"Oh, it's easy." She laughed again. "I’ve told you that I don't hold with every one of the Church's maxims and, although I've prayed to God often enough in my life, I do also enjoy the thought of something as random as that."

Sydney smiled weakly. "Will you tell her you know me?"

"Unless you tell her first, I planned to." Helen glanced at her watch. "Actually, she should call any time now. We talk to each other every other week and as I called last time it's her turn today." As the phone rang, she reached forward with a laugh. "You see? I told you."

"For that," Jarod commented before she answered it, "I hope it's not Michelle."

Helen stuck out her tongue at him as she turned on the speaker. "Hi, Auntie."

"Hi, sweetie." At the familiar tone, Helen raised an eyebrow and Jarod returned her gesture. "How are you?"

"I'm fine." Helen smiled at Sydney's raised eyebrow. "How's everything at your end?"

"Slightly hectic, actually. Nick reminded me to call or I might have forgotten."

"Why?" Helen's voice took on a note of innocence as she smiled. "You two aren't on the run from the Centre or something like that, are you?"

There was a moment of hesitation before Michelle spoke. "Helen, what aren't you telling me?"

"Why does everyone always suspect me of hiding things when I'm making simple statements?"

"Because," interrupted a male voice, "you never make 'simple statements'. They’ve always got a deeper meaning."

"Oh, thanks, Nick." Helen rolled her eyes. "I feel really good about myself now."

"You're welcome," he responded, laughing. "What else are cousins for?"

"Being nice, supportive, helpful and kind, I was hoping."

"You're the oldest,” he teased. “You set the precedent."

"Some people think I'm nice." Helen met Jarod's eye, laughing. "Other people are still making up their minds."

"Which category can I fall in to?"

"Whichever one you want, but don't fall too hard or you'll probably hurt yourself."

"And you wouldn't fix me up?"

"Only if your Dad didn't get in ahead of me." She eyed Sydney with a grin. "Have you heard from him lately?"

"He called yesterday, as a matter of fact," Michelle broke in. "And that assumption of yours was impressively accurate, Helen. Styling yourself as a psychic now?"

"No, but inside knowledge is a wonderful thing."

"What, is Dad sitting on your sofa or something?"

"No, Nick." Helen rolled her eyes. "My armchair, not my sofa. My sofa's otherwise occupied."

She listened to the laughter, and, fighting to suppress her own amusement, nodded at the phone. Sydney smiled.

"Hello, Nicholas."

There was sudden silence on the other end before the young man spoke again.

"Helen, tell me we've got a crossed line."

"I don't think your father will be at all pleased to hear you call him that."

"Tell me he hasn't been sitting there for the whole conversation."

"If I was to tell you that, I'd be lying, and I don't like doing that. But you could ask him yourself." She waited for a minute but there was no reply. "Oh, and you might want to make sure your mother hasn't fainted from shock or something."

"Sydney?" a voice on the other end choked out.

"Hello, Michelle," the psychiatrist responded warmly.

"What are you doing there?"

"The same thing I suggested you do by leaving Albany - staying safe from the Centre."

"And…why Helen?"

"Well, after she so nicely abducted me and brought me here, I couldn't refuse."

"Oh, thank you, Sydney," Helen interrupted, glaring at him. "You're not wanting to get me into trouble, are you?"

"Wanting, no. Succeeding, probably."

Michelle's voice broke in on Helen's response. "So you send me away from New York, only to go there yourself?"

"Actually, my intention was to send you away from Albany, not the whole state," Sydney corrected.

"And how do you know that you can trust Helen?"

"Because she's your niece, and surely that counts for something?"

"Not if you knew who her brother was."

"Oh, I do." Sydney raised an eyebrow as he saw the expression of astonishment on Helen's face. "But I'm rather surprised that you do."

"And does she?"

"Yes, Auntie, I do, but how do you know?"

"You think I haven't been keeping an eye on the Centre since they tried to get rid of me?"

"I hadn't really thought about it. But why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want you to do anything silly."

Helen smothered her laughter, avoiding Jarod's eye. "And what sort of 'silly' thing might I do?"

"The same thing that got your parents killed." Michelle's voice suddenly lost all trace of its earlier humor. "And you do know what I'm talking about."

"Yes." Helen stared at her hands.

"And that tone of voice tells me that you've been doing it already, haven't you?"

"Perhaps." She raised her head. "But after the lecture Nick's father gave me, I wasn't planning on doing it anymore."

"If I could see its impact, I'd give you one as well."

"So come visit. We're all safe from the Centre for the moment."

"Why?"

"They're in a state of blockade."

"What?!" Michelle's voice was incredulous. "What major event triggered that?"

Helen grinned faintly. "My brother capturing me as I was about to sneak in."

"So you were trying to emulate your mother." Michelle's tones became harsh, causing Sydney to raise an eyebrow. "I would have thought losing my sister was enough, without losing my niece due to similar reasons."

"It didn't happen, Auntie. I'm all right."

"Thanks to whom? I don't believe you got out unscathed under your own steam."

"Possibly not," Helen admitted.

"No, I didn't think so." There was a moment's silence. "We'll be there in a few hours, and you've got a heck of lecture coming."

"You'd better consult my doctor first and make sure I'm in a fit state for it."

There was a note of concern in Michelle's voice "I thought you said that you were okay."

"I think I am. Sydney may disagree."

"Not at all." The psychiatrist spoke firmly. "She's quite well enough to receive a lecture, as long as I'm allowed to hear it."

"Oh, thank you for your support," Helen remarked drily. "It's nice to have friends."

"We'll see you soon, Helen," her aunt broke in.

"I'm looking forward to it, I think."

Reaching forward, she disconnected the call, before sitting back in the armchair once more and glaring at Sydney. "Why couldn't you have said I wasn't up to it?"

"Because it would have made her worry," he responded immediately.

"You have no idea what I'm going to be in for when she gets here."

"Well," Jarod interposed, "it's always nice to get a little revenge."

Helen shrugged. "I can't deny that I don't deserve it. But now she'll worry about me anyway, for at least until the whole time until she arrives."

"Why?" Sydney looked at her curiously. "And what did she mean about 'the same thing that got your parents killed'?"

She looked up at him. "How did you imagine they'd died?"

"I had no idea." He shrugged. "You said something about getting the books that Debbie loves in a parcel when you turned thirteen so I imagined it wasn't something quick – such as an accident. I suppose I imagined them dying of a disease or something."

"Not quite." She stared at the fire for a moment. "My parents met when they began to work for an organization called NuGenesis." Hearing gasps from two people in the room, she grinned. "Yes, I thought that name might be familiar. My father was one of the earlier geneticists at that place and my mother was allotted to be his researcher within a few months of his employment. As you may or may not know, NuGenesis was started in 1951."

"By the Haring brothers," Sydney put in.

"Yes, exactly. A few years after my parents began to work at NuGenesis, a lovely man started up an organization in Blue Cove that we're all familiar with."

"Gee," commented Jarod in tones of extreme sarcasm. "It couldn't be the Centre, could it?"

"They don't call…"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that part. Get on with it."

Helen smiled. "My father found out about Project Prodigy, and the abduction of you and Kyle, and protested to Dr. Haring. According to the letter my mother wrote to me, and which I received with the parcel of books, my father was threatened in a similar manner to the way Jacob would be, just a few several weeks later. Only two weeks after that, their car wrapped itself around a tree."

"Was it deliberate?"

"The police who found the severed brake line certainly thought so."

"Who had…?"

Helen's head lifted slightly. "The same person who founded the Centre."

"Mr. Parker?"

"Yes." A faint smile hovered at the corner of his mouth. "He founded the Centre as opposition to NuGenesis, but eventually felt that they could be useful and then convinced the two organizations to work together."

"So your parents knew they were going to die?"

"I think so. In her letter, my mother spoke vaguely of threats that they had received, and that was why she made up the package. She was concerned that the person who was threatening her might also try to hurt me and that was why she left me to the convent, and not to her sister, who might have been more easily found by somebody who wanted to kill me, too. My future there was outlined in her will."

"And did you know?"

"I never knew for sure if it was the Centre or NuGenesis she meant until I found the memo detailing my parents' death in a safe at Mr. Parker's house."

Sydney's expression was one of shock and horror. "He… he kept it?"

"If it hadn't been too obvious, he might even have framed it." She spoke bitterly. "After all, that was the start of the Centre, and his great power."
Part 22 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 22



Ashe, New York
"So how did your brother end up in charge of the Centre?" Sydney asked.

Helen smiled, resting back in her chair. "The power structure was different in the early years. The Centre was run by a Board of Directors, of which, unsurprisingly, Mr. Parker was head. One year, he went down to Georgia for a conference at NuGenesis and three members of the Board staged a coup. They had the others 'taken care of' and established themselves as the Triumvirate. When Mr. Parker returned and tried to resume his former position, he was threatened with either murder or being turned over to the police for the murder of my parents. Not liking either option, he agreed that he would continue to work for the Centre, in any post that they chose to put him in, excluding, of course, a seat on the Triumvirate. To keep hold of him they used his signatures on forms detailing some of the worse projects that they were involved in over the years. If he didn't want his name to appear, all he had to do was appoint someone else to the task - which is the reason why it's Jacob's signature on the form about Jarod being brought to the Centre, not his."

"How on earth did you...?"

Helen looked down at Angelo with a smile as Jarod trailed off, staring at her in disbelief. "I’ve got copies of all the files that were in SL-27. I would’ve had the originals, but we felt it was safer for me only to keep copies."

"So your brother earned a place on the Triumvirate?" Sydney queried.

"Exactly. He was employed at NuGenesis for a few years and then transferred to the Centre. He made himself indispensable to one of the Triumvirate members and, when that person died, took his place. It all went on from there."

"So how does he 'own' the Centre?"

"The head of the Triumvirate automatically owns everything to do with the Centre, but there was a lot less to inherit when my brother took over, six years ago. He added substantially to the Centre during his time at the top, including such things as LaGrange airstrip and the Hillman Marine, as well as the Biodome. He's added a total of about a third to the annual profits of the Centre since taking his position as head of the Triumvirate."

"Trying to make himself irreplaceable?"

"Exactly." She nodded in agreement at Jarod's statement. "He isn't, though. Nobody in that place is. Even you. That's why they made a copy."

He grinned. "But is the copy as good as the original?"

"That's a question you have to take up with your brother. I'll eventually be able to tell you if Eddie and Michael are equal, but that's probably thirty years away."

"And how do you know all this?" Sydney's voice was curious. "I've never heard a lot of it, and I've been at the Centre for nearly its entire existence."

"But the Triumvirate was already established when you were employed and they had no desire to acquaint you with their little coup, considering how messy it was and how many people had to be murdered for it to happen. There are memos from that period that I've found scattered throughout the Centre. After my first six or so visits, I sat down one weekend and started sorting. Then I read everything I'd stolen and began to figure out the true history of the Centre. It's interesting the way that even during its seemingly 'innocuous' periods, when it was working on projects like the 'Pope mobile', there were still the dangerous projects running along silently in the background because, of course, they're the ones that earn the most money."

"So projects like Prodigy were intended to enhance the Centre's reputation, by all the things they could produce?"

"Exactly. And by having people like Alex, who inverted the results of the projects that appeared to be outwardly innocent, it was supposed to prevent people becoming suspicious."

"What did Jacob find out?"

"More than is good for any employee to know. He was working late one night when he overheard plans for Mirage and did some research. Raines found out what he was looking into and reported to Mr. Parker, who, in turn reported the fact to the Triumvirate. I assume that they were the ones who gave the order for the 'accident'."

"So you have copies of every memo and letter to be circulated in the Centre?"

"I guess I do by now. The four filing cabinets in my lab are full of them - every single one I found - and they're sorted chronologically, so if you wan to, you can go in and spend several entertaining hours - or days - reading through the history of the place."

Steve looked up. "How many people have died on orders from the Triumvirate?"

"Countless hundreds," Helen responded softly. "I've never even tried to count all of them. It would take too long."

"And yet you never tried to destroy the place?" the older Pretender put in.

"Jarod, I'm one person,” Helen protested. “I couldn't possibly destroy an empire like the Centre. I will agree with you if you say that it's been badly weakened by my actions, but, given time and resources - and they certainly have lots of the second - they’d still be able to recover, even from the blows I've inflicted."

"So we need to destroy them before they have a chance."

"Yes, I suppose so, or at least take those advantages away. If we managed to do that, they would have little or no chance of recovering. If it occurred, their support would fade away, as would their business, and then they may as well be shut down."

Sydney nodded slowly before looking up at her. "And what can they do now, with the blockade in place?"

"Not a lot, particularly with the second mainframe being down," Helen grinned. "And that was one great idea of Broots's. The mainframe is the lifeline to their results, so shutting it down is the best way to hurt them."

"And the second best?"

Helen eyed Steve and Angelo. "Probably stealing their long-term projects."

"No wonder your brother doesn't like you." Jarod rolled his eyes. "I wasn't that far out when I said you were stealing his profits."

"His profits, his projects - anything that will really hurt him." She laughed. "I seem to be very good at that."

"He's good at hurting you, as well," Sydney commented quietly, eyeing the bruise on the woman's face.

"Well, he won't get another chance at that," Helen said firmly.

"He's not dead, is he?" Steve asked.

"No, not yet. But Sam's being very determined."

"He isn't the only one." Jarod eyed the woman. "None of us are willing for you to go anywhere near that place ever again."

"I can't promise I won't go near it again, but..."

"Helen, there is no way..."

"Will you let me finish?" She glared at Jarod, who abruptly shut his mouth before nodding. "Thank you. I was going to say that, although I can't promise not to go near it, I don't plan on doing it until they're neutralized, or at least until the Triumvirate's gone."

"I think that's the most sensible thing you've said all day."

She smiled. "You haven't heard even half of the things I've said today, so how do you know?"

"Hey, I only said I thought it was." Jarod grinned. "But I could always ask Sam."

"I'd rather you didn't. I hope he's still catching up on the sleep he's missed out on over the past few nights."

"It seems Sam isn't the only determined one of the two of you," the psychiatrist proposed.

"Perhaps not." She hid a smile. "Still, despite that, we seem to get on quite well."

"Quite well?" Sydney emphasized the words scornfully. "Would you really say only 'quite well'?"

"We haven't seen each other for fifteen years. People change."

"Not to that extent." The psychiatrist smiled significantly. "I don't think David was that far out in his estimation."

"Does that mean you're going to marry him, Mommy?"

The child's voice from the doorway made four of the room's occupants jump, before they turned to see the boy standing there. Helen held out her arms and he ran over, scrambling up into her lap.

"I don't know yet, David. He hasn't asked me."

"You could ask him."

"No, he wouldn't like that." She smiled at him. "Sam's an old-fashioned man and he’d want to do the asking."

"He's not old," the child protested indignantly and she laughed.

"No, baby, not 'old' but 'old-fashioned'. That means something different."

"What?"

"It means he likes things the way they were a long time ago."

"Like when Sydney was little?"

"Yes, David," Helen responded, trying not to laugh aloud, and knowing that Steve and Jarod were also struggling. "Just like that."

"Can I change the subject?" the older man queried drily.

"I’m not at all surprised at you wanting to, Sydney," Helen laughed. "To which new theme would you like to redirect it?"

"All of us. As I said to Parker before you began to recover, there are a lot of people here now and, with Michelle and Nicholas coming, that increases it. Considering that you used to live here alone, that could draw people's attention here in a bad way."

"I agree," the doctor replied. "The problem is working out where some of the people could go. I know that Jarod, Ethan and Jon could go and join the rest of their family, and, if she didn't want to go with them, Miss Parker could go and visit Ben in Maine, meaning that they'd be far enough away to be safe but not too far away that they couldn't get here quickly if we needed them."

"Broots and Debbie?"

"I don't know, exactly."

"But I do," the technician commented from the doorway. "My sister’s just moved to Vermont, and was urging me to come and see her. Debbie and I could go to visit there and that would put us in the same situation as the others."

Sydney glanced at Jarod. "Did your dad tell you where they were when you rang him?"

"Not directly, but yes, I do know where they are. They're living in the house that Mom was using in Connecticut when Helen went to get her, so all of us would be in the same situation."

"Good." Sydney looked at Helen. "So that, when Michelle and Nicholas get here, will leave ten of us. I know you'll want David and Michael to stay here."

"Of course, and Steve, too." Helen smiled at the man, who looked relieved. "I think Angelo should stay here, too. Little though I like to admit it, he'd be the most easily recognized of any of us if he started to be taken from one place to another. Sam's mother can either stay here or else, if we think it's safe, go home. It's close enough that Sam can go and get her if he thinks it's necessary." She sent a mock-glare in Sydney's direction. "And I suppose you won't even think of leaving until my decoration fades."

"Definitely not," he responded firmly. "If everyone else leaves then there's plenty of room for the three of us to stay. Besides, the Centre won't need to get into the mainframe to find out Michelle's address. I'm sure they have it somewhere."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"And what's our current state?"

"We haven't been able to remove the blockade," admitted the second member of the Triumvirate. "And I'm not sure when we will, if at all."

"So we can't contact anyone outside the Centre, we can't leave the place, we can't bring anyone or anything in…"


"Correct."

"Then do tell me," his boss commented snidely, "exactly what we can do."

"Nothing except sit and wait for it to be lifted, and then hope to scramble into a position that won't result in the downfall of the Centre, and all of us, before they make their next move."

"So you think that they're planning to destroy us?"

"Either that or leave us here to starve." The man leaned back in his seat. "That's some time away for now, though. We had a fair amount of food delivered last week and, fortunately, the blockade doesn't shut off the power."

"And who would you expect to be 'them'?"

"Probably just about everyone – Jarod, his family, Sydney, Miss Parker, Mr. Broots, his daughter, Sam, the three who escaped: everyone."

"Except my sister," the man smirked.

"Unless Jarod managed to find a way around the treatment. The doctor who gave it reported that all the syringes, as well as the paperwork, were gone when he came around."

"Is it likely?"

"No, but with people of Jarod's ability, it's possible."

"And where are they most likely to hit, do you think?"

"I hate to say it, but probably you. Considering all the effort they went to, to save her, she must be very important to them, and I'd think their most probable form of revenge would be personal attacks on you. After all, now Mr. Parker, Raines and Lyle are dead, there really isn't anybody else left."

The man's brow creased into a glare. "And how would you say that they might go about that?"

"It's difficult to say, but all your assets are very vulnerable at the moment and it’d be very easy for them to do anything they wanted. Jarod, to name just one of them, would have the knowledge to do whatever they decided on."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Can I call you tonight, Mommy?" the girl asked eagerly, and Helen smiled.

"Of course you can, Debbie. Your dad will be calling us at least once every day, so we can talk then, all right?"

"Yup." The girl gently hugged the woman before leaving the room with her father. As the door closed behind them, David looked up from his book.

"How come everybody's leaving?"

"They're going to visit friends, sweetie." Helen hugged him. "But we're staying, and so are Steve and Michael."

"Good." He sighed with relief. "And Angelo?"

"Yes, he's staying here, too, and so is Sam."

"Where is he?"

"He's in bed, baby. He's tired."

"He was tired," interrupted a voice from behind her. "He's a lot better now."

"I'm glad to hear it." Helen leaned against him as he sat on the arm of her chair, a hand stroking her hair.

"How much longer were you planning to stay up for?"

"A while. It is only seven. Besides, Michelle and Nicholas are coming soon."

Sam gently turned her face to his, visually examining her. "Do you think you're up to that?"

"If I wasn't, do you think Sydney would be allowing me to sit up, and do you really think I'd do it to myself? I'm not the biggest fan of collapsing insensible, to the floor and I've had it happen once in the past few days." Helen narrowed her eyes as she looked up at him. "Besides, I thought you received strict instructions that you weren't to worry about me anymore."

"I've never been good at obeying instructions."

"Oh, really? I should ask my brother about that."

"Well, I didn't obey his last direction to me, did I? I was supposed to stop your friends getting in, not help them."

She laughed. "Rebel."

"And glad to be so." He kissed her gently. "So why are your aunt and Nicholas on the way?"

"I'm due for a lecture about trying emulate my mother."

"Long overdue, I'd say. If I didn't know how much effective hers will be than mine, I'd give you one myself."

"Oh, I don't know. Yours could be pretty effective too."

"You wouldn't know," he laughed. "I've never given you one."

"If it wouldn't encourage raucous laughter from the person sitting opposite me, I'd say it was because I never did anything to deserve one."

Jarod grinned. "And I suppose you'd rather I didn't comment on that."

"Well, if it's possible for you to make such a great effort, I would appreciate it."

He laughed. "I'll do better than that. I think it's time the four of us left to go back to the loving arms of our family."

"Are you taking Miss Parker with you?"

"For the moment, yes. If we need to, we'll even get Ben from Maine and take him to the house as well."

"Well, keep an eye on our beloved friends in Blue Cove and don't forget to call us this evening."

Ethan laughed. "If they're that beloved, you ought to call your brother so that he's aware of how grateful you were for his generous accommodation."

She smiled. "You never know - I just might."

# # #


Helen cuddled the baby close to her and watched as he fell asleep. She gently stroked his cheek before picking up her book. Her reading, however, was disrupted by the sounds of arrival from the back door and she had difficulty keeping a grin away from her face as the door of the living room opened. Her cousin was about to say something, when he saw the child in her arms, and his jaw dropped.

"What on earth...?"

"Could you keep your voice down a little, Nick? I've only just got him to sleep."

Regaining somewhat of his self-possession, he walked into the room and came over to her chair. Kneeling down in front of her, he looked at the baby.

"Is it yours?"

"Nicholas, what happened to me when I was fifteen?"

"Well," he rocked back on his heels, "you could have adopted."

She laughed. "Okay, that's true. No, he's not officially mine, but we'll probably be the people who bring him up."

The sound of her laughter woke the baby, who stared at Nicholas solemnly for a moment before looking at Helen and smiling, wrapping his hand around her index finger before closing his eyes again.

"So when did that momentous decision get made?"

"Not long before this one did." She tapped the area beside the bruise, smiling as Nicholas stared at it.

"Does it hurt?"

Catching the eye of the little boy in Steve's lap, Helen shook her head. "Not very badly."

"Could have fooled me."

"I'm not trying to." She lowered her voice. "But can you stop talking about it?"

"Scared of what my mom's going to say?"

"No, more worried about what affect it might have on him." She nodded at the child and laughed as her cousin spun around.

"Two now?"

"Something like that." She held out her free hand. "Come here, sweetie."

The boy got up out of Steve's lap and ran over, hesitating several feet away, and she smiled. "Do you remember what I promised you, David?"

He nodded solemnly. "Uh huh."

"Well, this is one of the people you can trust. He's my cousin."

She gave him a hand to scramble up into her lap and put him on her knee, where he stared at the man before looking at Helen.

"Mommy, if he's your cousin then what should I call him?"

"You can call him by his name, sweetie. This is Nicholas. Nick, this is David."

"Hi." The boy spoke hesitantly and Helen smiled.

"It's okay, honey. You can act exactly the same around him as you do with Jarod or Steve." She nodded in the direction of the Pretender, who slowly got to his feet. "Steve, this is Nicholas. Nick, this is..."

"Steven?"

The voice from the doorway was incredulous and the man spun around, a light of fear in his eyes, before he broke into a hesitant smile. "Dr. Lucca?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Helen brought us here a few days ago."

"Us?" Michelle looked over at Helen and stared, as her son had done, before she walked into the room. "What's all this?"

"Centre refuge," Helen smiled, "as Sydney told you on the phone."

Coming over, Michelle sat on the sturdy coffee table and stared at her niece. "Are you completely crazy?"

"Oh, thank you." Helen rolled her eyes.

"She's not crazy!" The young voice was indignant and the doctor looked down at him with a smile, tightening her hold around his waist.

"It's all right, sweetheart. She didn't really mean it."

"Want to bet?"

"Now don't go making things worse," Helen warned, "or you'll make an enemy of my son for life."

Michelle looked skeptical, but smiled as she looked down at the baby. "And what method did you use to get two such beautiful children?"

"The same method by which I got Steve - abduction." Helen grinned. "I had a busy night."

"And was that the same night you got that lovely coloring?"

"No, that was a few nights later, when I was trying to get Angelo."

"He's here, too?"

Helen nodded towards the empath, who was playing with some of Michael's toys in the corner. "I'll tell you everything, but not right now, okay?"

The older woman eyed the boy who was still watching her narrowly and nodded. "All right, Helen. And you've still got that lecture coming, remember?"

"Oh, don't worry. I haven't forgotten." The doctor laughed. "But if you can manage to avoid doing it before my children, I'd be a lot happier."

"Mommy?" the child on her lap piped up.

She looked down. "Yes, baby?"

"Who is she?"

"This is my aunt, sweetheart."

"Why was she so mean?"

"She wasn't, David, not really. It was only fun, just like when Jarod and I were teasing each other, remember?"

"So she likes you?"

"Yes, honey, she likes me a lot." She hugged the child. "As much as I like you."

"And Sam?"

"Yes," she laughed. "That much."

"Wow." The boy's eyes widened and he looked up at the woman who was fighting to hide a smile. "She must like you a lot too then."

"I do, David," Michelle admitted laughingly. "I like her an awful lot." She looked suspiciously at her niece. "When he said Sam…"

"He meant me," the man interrupted from the doorway. "And, no, I'm not here as a sweeper, so please don't feel you need to bolt through the doorway like Jarod tried to do when I arrived."

The older woman stood up with a laugh. "Thank you for that, but Sydney’s already warned me about you being here." She eyed the outfit he was wearing. "And I'm usually nervous of sweepers only when I see them wearing that delightfully funereal kit you're all usually attired in."

"And probably holding you at gun-point as well, right?" Sam laughed, coming to sit beside Helen and taking Michael. "Well, although the kit is upstairs, I won't drag it out unless you start feeling nostalgic."

"Your generosity is overwhelming, Sam, but I'm quite happy not to see it all for the moment." She smiled. "Having heard things about you for a few years now, I was actually more interested in seeing you as you."

"Oh, really?" The man glanced at Helen with an eyebrow raised before looking at Michelle again. "Anything bad?"

"No," Michelle commented thoughtfully. "I think 'bad' would be the wrong word."

"Can I interrupt?"

"Of course, Sydney." Helen looked up. "What is it?"

"We arranged for everybody to call in a few hours and, since they left, we haven't had a look at what your brother's up to."

"Actually, Doctor, Steve and I were watching until just before Michelle's arrival."

"And?"

"Not much. They're still moaning about the lack of a mainframe and the fact that they can't get out for a breath of fresh air." The sweeper laughed. "Oh, and Helen's brother is also concerned about what Jarod might do to his assets as they're so unguarded right now."

Helen looked thoughtful. "I wonder just what we could do to them. He’d find it rather frustrating, I'd imagine, to find all the things he so painstakingly added to the Centre account - like LaGrange, or the Hillman Marine and let's not forget the Biodome - had all been sold and he couldn't do a thing about it. And I'm also sure that he’d be a little upset if things like Angel Manor or, say, the Dragon House, had been handed over to one of the Centre's competitors."

"I think you're underestimating your brother," Michelle remarked as she sat down beside Sydney.

"You don't think he'd leave them unprotected?"

"I don't think he'd be just 'rather frustrated' or 'a little upset'." She eyed Helen in amusement. "Bright red hair, as I told you when you were about four, normally denotes an equally fiery temperament."

"Yes, that would explain why I get upset so easily," she laughed, watching as David began to nod drowsily in her arms.

"Your brother never had anyone to teach him how to control his temper."

"According to the DSA I saw, my brother was put up for adoption at eight years old." Helen glanced at her aunt curiously. "Why was that?"

"For the same reason your mother left you to the convent and not to me after her death. Your brother was born just after both of your parents began working at NuGenesis, and they got offers to work at the Centre when Mr. Parker opened it. To ensure they would stay working at NuGenesis, they were both threatened, although not as badly as they would be when you were five. To keep him safe, they put your brother up for adoption. When he was born, your mother had severe complications, and for four days they weren't sure she would live. She did, but the doctors doubted if she could have another child. That fact sent your mother into depression: a depression that only lifted when she became pregnant with you. By the time you were born, the threats were no longer arriving and your parents felt that they could safely bring you up themselves. As you’re aware, that stopped when you turned five."

Sydney looked at Michelle. "So how did your sister find out about Prodigy? I have my doubts that either of the Haring brothers just told her."

"No, they certainly didn't do that, but after large numbers of children appeared at NuGenesis and subsequently disappeared altogether, she began to feel that something bad was happening. She started sneaking into the Centre, going in to people's offices to steal files and memos that could have been relevant.” Michelle smiled at her niece. “Helen's ability at pick pocketing was learned, but her light touch was her mother's."

The psychiatrist choked down his laughter and turned to Helen, whose eyes were firmly fixed on the sleeping child in her lap. "Do you want to tell her or will I?"

"I'm sure she'll take it better from you." The doctor looked up sharply. "But first I want to know why you started to work at the Centre. I mean, you must have got an idea that the place wasn't exactly paradise on Earth or else I'd imagine that you'd have tried to get custody of me, at least until Nick was born."

"Actually, I did think about it, but you're right, I've always had some idea of what kind of place the Centre was. Your mother and I discussed that quite often and I saw a number of the memos she stole, including ones from the early days of the Centre, when there was no Triumvirate and only a Board of Directors."

"So, despite knowing what kind of place it was, you still tried for a job there." The doctor rolled her eyes. "And you called me crazy."

"My primary motive was revenge. I wanted to find out the identity of person who ordered the so-called accident."

"And did you?" Sydney asked gently.

"No." Michelle's voice was tinged with regret. "But I learned a lot of other things, about the children," she looked at Sydney out of the corner of her eye, "and about the people who were caring for them."

"So you continued working there..."

"Until I fell pregnant. When I was threatened, or more precisely when Sydney was, I left Delaware and moved to New York. Several months after Nicholas was born, I met my husband."

"But you've kept an eye on the place," her niece commented.

Michelle glanced at Helen. "Your brother started working for NuGenesis less than a year before I had to leave, and although his bitterness at having been adopted as a child made me decide not to tell him who I was, he’s still my sister's son. I always hoped that one day, if it was necessary, I might be able to protect him from a similar fate to the one that had killed his parents."

"Why didn't they - or you - ever even mention that I had a brother? As you may be able to imagine I was slightly surprised when I found out about it."

"If it's any consolation, he doesn't know about you."

"Didn't," Helen put in with a grin. "He does now."

"How?"

"I told him when he was holding me at gunpoint. I thought, if anything was going to make him treat me better, that would."

"And did it?"

"Does it look like I was an honored guest of the Centre?" She tapped her cheek beside the bruise and grinned. "Or do you think it's only really special people who are clubbed on the side of the head?"

"What else did they do to you?" Michelle asked suspiciously.

"They used me to test one of their pet projects. You were right in what you said on the phone. If it wasn't for Steve, Jarod and Sam, I wouldn't be able to talk to you right now."

"Which project?"

Helen raised an eyebrow. "Does the word 'Regeneration' mean anything to you?"

Michelle stared at her in silence for a moment before she was able to speak. "Are you telling me that, in spite of knowing who you were, your brother still used you as a guinea pig for that?"

"He considers me a slight threat."

The older woman looked down at the boy in her niece's arms. "I might be able to imagine why."

"Oh, that's only half of it, or maybe even only a third. They can't get access to the mainframe now either."

"Did Broots do that?"

"Not exactly."

"So you did it." Michelle raised an eyebrow. "And how?" When the young woman didn’t reply, her aunt leaned forward slightly and spoke firmly. "How, Helen?"

"Let Sydney tell you. As I said, you'll take it better if you hear it from him."

"He doesn't need to. I think I can guess." The woman crossed her arms. "I wasn't so wrong when I said you were emulating your mother, was I?"

"No, not entirely." She looked at the woman opposite. "But I have no intention of my car being wrapped around a tree." Her eyes twinkled at Sydney. "Even if I end up planting a bomb in SL-27 to prevent it."

"But that would require going back there," protested Sam. "And you promised me earlier that you wouldn't."

"Until the place is neutralized or the Triumvirate's gone, if you remember. I added those provisos."

"So if it had already occurred, what’s the point of imitating Sydney's great act of defiance?"

"For the fun of it," Helen laughed, before becoming more serious. "I think there's a few things that still need to be found out, and if we can work out a way to even temporarily impede my sweet brother's actions, it’d be possible for us to get that information."

"You and Eddie have already given us a way to do that," the psychiatrist stated softly. "Surely, by using that, we could take advantage of the resulting time to find all of that sort of information out."

"If we do," Helen mused, "we might only need to go into one room, and it's pretty easy to access, actually."

"And how could you be sure that he wouldn't be there?"

"It wouldn't matter if he was." Helen grinned at her aunt. "I've managed to escape from under his nose before. It's wouldn't be that hard to do it again."

"Will that drug work a second time?" the psychiatrist queried.

"Yes, but I wouldn't take only one with me. I'd ensure that I had several different options with me, just in case."

"And who says you're the one going?" Sam looked at her meaningfully.

"Well you're certainly not going without me!" Her tone was indignant. "I have as much, if not more, reason to be there, particularly as almost all of the information relates to me in some way."

"And what about after that?" Sydney's voice was soft. "We can't simply plant another bomb down in SL-27, or anywhere else, because that would kill or injure a lot of innocent people, as well as other not so innocent ones."

"Actually, Sydney, I don't really want to kill him. No matter what he did to me or anyone else, he’s still my brother. I had a hard enough time watching Lyle die and he was no relation to me at all. I doubt I could live with myself if I was the person directly responsible for his death."

"So what would you do?"

"Discredit him, strip him of his wealth and humiliate him." She gave a smile of satisfaction. "Now that I would happily do."

"And you have the ways to do it."

"Exactly. Sam provided us with one way and Ethan suggested another."

"And discrediting him?"

She smiled. "I think I provided myself with that. There are a large number of large companies who are currently awaiting results from the Centre of various projects that they ordered. I, after all my visits, have the real results - and copies of all the fake details I scattered around people's offices over the past few years. If the big rival companies - by accident, of course - were to get the wrong information then they’d no longer trust the Centre and stop using it to get results and if the Centre lost its customers, it would have no reason to stay open. If we got all the information that we need from it, we can happily watch it close its doors forever without shedding a single tear." She looked around and grinned. "Unless that fact would devastate anyone so much that they couldn't bear to see it happen."

"We’d need to plan this carefully."

"Oh, of course. But we've got all the time we could need and Broots can maintain the blockade for as long as we like. They can only try to get into a position to try and save themselves as soon as it's lifted and we've got several people," she eyed Steve meaningfully and with a grin, "who’d be able to work out all possible ways they might react so that we can prepare for it."

"There was one thing I was thinking about," the Pretender commented quietly.

Helen looked at Steve enquiringly. "And that was?"

"I was wondering why you've never seen him using one of his secret places. You must have seen Mr. Parker and Mr. Raines using theirs for you to know where they were and how to access them, meaning that you’d have been viewing their offices with the security system. I’d have to assume you've done the same with the person in charge of the whole place so why haven't you ever seen him taking files out?"

"Good question." Helen rested her head on Sam's arm, gazing thoughtfully at the floor. "You're right, I've spent hours watching all three of those men - and others like Lyle, Sydney..."

"You did, did you?" The psychiatrist tried to look indignant.

"Well, of course." Helen grinned at him. "How else could I find out about Jarod? Would you like to know how many times I've been in your office?"

"No, not really. I'd never feel safe there again."

"You shouldn’t ever feel safe there anyway, at least not until the Triumvirate's out of the picture." She laughed before becoming serious again. "Steve's right. I haven't ever seen him using those secret places and yet he has to. When we're talking to the others tonight, I'll ask Broots if it would be possible for him to block off the cameras in his office."

"It should be," Sydney interposed. "We've done it before."

"But Broots designed the system. He'd know how to do it. If my brother knows as well, I'd be interested to know how."

"Your father was very good with computers, Helen," Michelle responded. "It might have been him who taught your brother any skills he knows."

"He'd still be less able than Broots," Sam commented. "If he was as able, or even more so, he would already have taken down the blockade."

"Good point." Helen nodded. "We'll also ask Broots tonight if it's possible for him to take it apart, but I think Sam's right."

Sydney picked up a pad of paper from the table and wrote down the two points that had been mentioned before looking up. "Apart from outlining our plan to them, do we need to ask anything else?"

"We should find out who is willing to actually take part. Of course, those like Jon and Debbie won't have any option, but I'm not sure Broots or Margaret should be involved with the real work inside the Centre, nor perhaps even Jarod."

"I doubt you'll be able to stop him," the psychiatrist told her.

"But he's at highest risk, being the one they want back most. In addition to that, he's not back to full fitness yet..."

"And you are?" Sam looked at her scornfully and she laughed.

"Give me twenty-four hours and I'll be fine, but the measles normally takes longer than that, and any weakness could endanger the rest of us."

"Well, you suggest it to him and we'll pick up the pieces when he's finished telling you what he thinks of that little idea," Sydney commented drily.

"You're support is invaluable," she replied in similar tones. "Besides, I’m not saying he shouldn't be involved, only that he shouldn't be among the people who actually go into the Centre. He can be standing by with an escape car or something of that sort."

"Sitting by," Nicholas corrected with a grin. "It's hard to stand in a car."

"Smart ass."

"It's inherited."

"Your father would never make a remark like that." Helen grinned. "At least, I don't think he would anyway."

"No, but my cousin certainly would." He laughed. "Besides, with two small children to take care of, shouldn't you watch your language?"

"I'd rather listen to it. My sign language isn't very good anymore."

Her cousin rolled his eyes. "As I said, inherited."

"Reverting back to your earlier topic," Sydney interrupted, "Nicholas has supplied a good reason for you not to be there either."

Helen looked up at the man. "No one would be able to find my brother’s office without me in that maze. Besides, I'm not going to ask others to do things I won't do myself."

"You've already done so," the psychiatrist stated firmly. "Seventy-three times, if we include the liberation of Steve, David and Michael, and the time when you were carried in by your brother's sweepers."

"Carried?" Michelle looked startled. "You didn't say..."

"I thought you would have realized that, Auntie. They knocked me out before they took me inside. I don't even remember being in there at all."

She turned back to the man sitting beside her aunt.

"Sydney, I'm going and there's no argument you can put forward that will stop me this time. Yes, I agree the children are a strong motivation not to, but unless we do this thing properly they'll either be taken back there or else have to live the same sort of lifestyle that Jarod does, and that isn't a thing I want to contemplate, either for them or for me. Even you would have to agree that the plan has a lot more chance of success if I'm there." She looked down at the small boy who was lying in her arms. "I promised him that he'd never have to go back to that place again and I intend to keep my word. The only way I can ensure that is to help destroy it."
Part 23 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 23



Ashe, New York
"You could stay with Jarod..." the psychiatrist began.

"No, Sydney." Her eyes glittered and her jaw was set firmly. "I'm going back there one last time to do this before it's destroyed completely, and I'm going to use the chance to find out the names of the people who killed my parents, your brother and David's parents, too. As I said to Jarod while he was trying to persuade me not to grab Miss Parker on my own, I'm an expert at escaping and you couldn’t keep me here while everyone else went to Delaware, no matter what you do."

"I could think of one way," the man commented drily. "But I'm not sure anyone would be particularly pleased if I suggested it."

"I'm sure we wouldn't," Sam remarked. "So please, Doctor, don't."

"Always assuming we do let you go," Michelle put in, "who else would be in the lion’s den with you?"

"Me," the sweeper responded quickly.

"Well, of course." She smiled. "I wouldn't dream of going in there without you. But I'd also planned to take Miss Parker, Ethan..."

"Me."

Helen looked at the Pretender. "Are you sure, Steve? I wasn't planning to include you unless you were willing - and you'll have to think about it."

"I've already thought about it. You aren't doing it without me." He stared at the floor before looking back at her. "There's probably things about me in the files and I want to be there to know about it, rather than reading them afterwards with the knowledge that somebody else risked their life to get them."

"All right, you're welcome to come." She turned back to Sydney. "I planned to ask Jarod's dad, as well."

"And Angelo?" Sydney queried.

"No. His risk is as great as Jarod's, but for different reasons. I'd worry what effect the antidote to my drugs might have on him, considering how many other things he's been treated with over the years."

"What about me?" Nicholas looked up at his cousin. "I'm coming, too."

"No, you're not." It came from both his parents simultaneously and Helen grinned at him.

"I think you just got your answer."

"I don't. If you can risk your life, so can I." He looked at his father. "After all, it's all the fault of the Centre that I don't know you as well as I should. Why would you deny me my chance to help tear it to pieces?"

"It's too dangerous, Nick." Michelle rested a hand on his shoulder, "I couldn't bear to see you go through that kind of thing again."

"Mom, these are the same people who approved, if they didn't actually arrange, my kidnapping a few years back. How is that any worse for me than the things we're planning now?"

"And you'd put your mother through that sort of thing all over again?" His father's voice was stern. "Nicholas, you are not going into the Centre."

"He could stay with Jarod as the driver of the other car," Helen suggested. "We’re really too many to fit into one vehicle and he'd be safe - "

"Safer," Sydney put in. "But still not safe."

"You wouldn't trust Jarod to get him out of danger at the first sign?"

"Well, of course, but..."

"Then I'm sure he'd be quite capable of fulfilling that task, and he can maintain some form of contact - radio or something similar - with a base that we'll set up here or in Falk or somewhere. That way Michelle won't need to worry as much."

"Not about him, anyway," the woman commented wryly. "But I suspect I may have other people to worry about."

"But you're going to let me do it." Helen's voice was calm and definite.

"I hardly expect to be able to stop you. After all, I couldn't stop your mother when she planned to sneak into the Centre for the first time."

# # #


Maverick, Connecticut
"Jarod?"

"Yes, Dad?" The man looked up from the computer screen in front of him to see his father in the doorway. "What is it?"

"What are you doing?"

"Spying on the Centre."

"Helen's brother?"

"No, not now. I'm going room by room to see if Alex or anybody else I know might be in there."

The man sat next to his son and put an arm around him. "You're not still worrying about what he said, are you?"

"I've been trying not to, but I can't get his words out of my mind." He looked at his father. "How do you know what he said?"

"Helen showed your mother and me the footage from that tower."

The Pretender nodded slowly, his jaw tensing as he tried to control the feelings that remembering those scenes always caused.

"Jarod, he was wrong," Major Charles urged. "He couldn't have foreseen the way things changed, but we don't have to hide from you anymore, nor must you avoid us. You know how important a role Miss Parker plays in your life. And, when the Centre's dealt with, then we'll find somewhere to settle down as a family, together."

"You make it sound so easy."

"You're right, it won't be so easy. This is the Centre, after all. But you could never have won it on your own, any more than Helen could have. That's why they've tried to keep us apart for so long, because they realized that when we all got together they'd have reason for concern. Their current situation would have to be causing, at the very least, a bit of concern, wouldn't you say?"

"Well," Jarod admitted with a small smile. "Maybe just a little bit."

"Good, so stop worrying about what some crazed and bitter person said when his intention was to upset you and focus on reality. We've got a job to do."

"You're right." The Pretender glanced at his watch. "We've still got two hours or so before calling New York."

"Your mother sent me up to bring you and Jon down for dinner."

"The first family dinner, huh?"

"Exactly. The first of many."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Broots, how secure is this line?"

"As secure as I can make it, Helen." He grinned. "What do you think they're going to do - knock down the blockade and listen in?"

"Could they?"

"I don't honestly know how they could work around that blockade - or the next one that will start up automatically if the first one is avoided."

Helen applauded loudly, watching as the technician laughed. "How many rings of blockades did you make - or have you lost count?"

"Four. And there's an alarm on the third so that, if they do break through, I'll know and can set up more. The last two only took about ten minutes to construct."

"And have they managed it yet?"

"No, and they aren't really trying, from a conversation I overheard in the Tech Room earlier. Every few hours, one of them goes to your brother's co-member of the Triumvirate and reports that they haven't had any luck, comes back slightly shaken and tells the others what was said."

"That's suicide!"

"But they don't know that. None of them know what happened to the man shot by your brother. All they know is that he didn't come back to the room."

She nodded slowly. "Still, they're all risking immediate death by not doing as they were told."


"Would you like me to send them a message and let them know?"

"Thanks, Broots, no. I think I'd rather not see them panic." Helen eyed him. "Is it possible for us to send messages to the Centre? I know they can't contact us, but can we get in touch with them in some way?"

"Sure, if you wanted to. All we need to do is set a time and I can slip through the blockade - one-way only, so they can't trace it - and then you can talk with your brother, if that's what you wanted to do."

"Not yet, but it's something I'd like to think about in future."

"So you like my idea, Helen?" a new voice put in.

"Absolutely, Ethan,” Helen giggled. “If we can humiliate my brother even a little bit, it sounds like a good idea to me."

"So you'd call him in front of his other Triumvirate members?” another voice put in. “That's cruel!"

"Jarod, how often do we have to have this conversation?" She grinned as Sydney smiled. "You've still never told me whether you think I'm cruel or not."

"That's because I'm still making up my mind." He laughed. "But I do know that you can come up with wonderful ideas, so we're all waiting for your most recent plan to discredit the Centre."

"If I was that good, Jarod, I’d have got a better mark on a philosophy exam that your mother gave me before she left Philadelphia."

"She gave it to me earlier today and apparently you got a better mark than I did."

"I always knew learning all of those Trivial Pursuit questions would come in handy one day." The doctor laughed. "Bring it with you when you come back to Ashe and we can compare answers once everything's finished."

"And when are we all doing that?"

"We aren't 'all' doing it, but you're right. All of us here did come up with a plan of sorts."

"So who is doing it?"

"Only those people who want or are allowed to." She leaned back against Sam's arm and smiled. "And yes, before you try to object, Jarod, I am participating."

"As long as it's not going back into the Centre..."

"Actually, part of it is, but don't worry. You won't be there." She laughed as Jarod immediately opened his mouth to protest. "Let me explain and then complain, okay?"

"No, it's not okay,” he exclaimed heatedly. “I don't like it already!"

"Then don't be a part of it at all," she responded quickly, "rather than waiting out in the woods with the cars, which was where I was intending to put you."

"I like that idea," Margaret put in quietly and Helen laughed at the black look that Jarod shot at his mother.

"So who will be a part of it?"

"You, Miss Parker, if you want to be, and also Ethan and his father. On this end, me, Sam, Steve, and Nicholas to drive the other car."

"In other words, it's already planned."

"Pretty much, yes. All we don't have right now is a date."

"And what about the rest of us?"

"Broots and Debbie can stay in Vermont, if Broots can control the security system from there."

"Not a problem. That's easy."

Helen hid a smile at the relieved look on the man's face.

"Margaret, Jon and Em can stay in Connecticut - and no, Jon, you aren't going to take part in this at all," Helen added quickly when she saw the boy's mouth open to protest. "You would never be able to convince your Mom and Dad, even if you could talk me into it."

"Very true." Margaret put her arm around the boy's shoulders, and Helen smiled as he snuggled closer to her.

"Sydney, Michelle and Angelo will stay here in New York with Michael and David, which is the place that we'll meet and come back to with the spoils."

"And they are?"

"The last of the files that I haven't uncovered yet. My plan, if everybody I named is willing to take part, is for us to divide up into three groups and go into all three of the most important offices - Mr. Parker's, Mr. Raines' and that of my brother. When the teams get here, we'll work out who's going where and I'll show everybody the various catches used to try and keep hidden things hidden."

"And what are you expecting to find?" Charles asked.

"The biggest secrets of the Centre. Before we close the place down for good, we need to make sure that we know everything. Naturally, none of the things we'll be looking for are on the mainframe, but the Centre is good at hoarding things, so we ought to be able to find answers to any questions we might have somewhere in one of the three offices I mentioned."

"Will we also going be checking those hiding places behind the filing cabinets, as you suggested after bringing those three back?" the older Pretender suggested.

"Well, the rest of us will," Helen laughed, before becoming more serious when she saw the look of frustration on his face. "Jarod, as much as I hate to say it, you could be a risk for this. There's no way for you to guarantee that you'll have enough strength to get through it, and I'm sure you won't want to endanger the rest of us by being unable to finish the job - particularly if there are enough of us to make up for you." She eyed the man sitting beside him, who nodded. "Like your dad, for instance."

"And you're so much better than I am," he commented sarcastically.

"Actually, yes, I am. After one more good night's sleep, the only thing that will be there to remind me of it at all is my colorful decoration."

"Is that just your professional opinion?"

"No, it's Sydney's as well."

"Well, I can hardly argue against that fount of knowledge, can I?"

"If I hadn't detected the faintest hints of sarcasm in that," Sydney rejoined, "I'd be pleased at how easily persuadable you are."

"Gee, I wonder who I got my sarcasm from." Jarod arched an eyebrow. "Somehow I'm not of the opinion that it was inherited."

"Let's keep this focused, shall we?" the pilot interrupted.

Helen looked at Charles as he spoke. "What else is there to discuss?"

"A certain little hobby of yours - and I don't mean petty theft. If you were planning to use any of your drugs, we'll need to be protected against them, and, as far as I know, most of your antidotes send people off for a nap before they become effective. That won't help much if it kicks in on the way, particularly," he eyed his oldest son with a grin, "if someone's coming down with something and so sleeps for longer than planned."

"Helen, did you tell him?" Jarod demanded.

"Hey, it was too good to keep to myself." She laughed. "Actually, I've been thinking about that, too. If those people who are helping arrive at some point in the morning of that day, I can administer the antidote then and we'll all be up and about again by the time we leave in the early evening."

"So what time will we get to Blue Cove?"

"I was aiming for midnight. We'll stay in radio contact the whole way and just prior to going inside, Broots can activate the locks on the doors, meaning that anyone who happens to be in the rooms will be trapped there until we have everything."

"Sleeping sweetly," Sam put in with a grin.

"Of course." She laughed. "And then, as we drive away, Broots can unlock all the doors and my brother can find that he's been duped by his little sister and all her friends again."

"Unless, of course, he managed to trap the lot of you in the Centre," Sydney interjected.

"Well, if he does, I have faith in all of you to mount a major rescue operation and break us out."

"Except that the greatest brains would be trapped in the Centre."

"I'm sure Jarod and Jon will be delighted to know they've been cut out of that prestigious group," Helen grinned. "Don't forget that the blockade will still exist and, on the off-chance that something does go wrong, Jarod and Nick can come here and help everyone else kick-start the emergency plan."

"Oh, so you have one of those, too?" Jarod suggested.

"No, not yet, but we'll come up with something."

"Well, the primary plan being so infallible..." he told her mockingly.

"Jarod, you're not bitter, are you? Surely the reasons make sense."

"Sense or not, he doesn't like them." Miss Parker smiled. "Now I know why we're here and you're there. It's a lot harder to tear you limb from limb at this distance."

"Well, that only lasts until we put this plan into action," Helen retorted.

"And when will that be?" Charles asked.

"First of all, before we decide on those sorts of details, can anyone see any major problems with it - and I mean logistical, not personal ones," Helen added quickly, seeing Jarod's mouth open.

Sydney glanced at the technician. "Are there any problems technically?"

Broots shook his head. "There shouldn't be any. I'll quickly run through the whole plan again with the system open in front of me and test a few things, but I really don't foresee any."

"Good. Anyone else?"

"If there aren't, can I start bringing up personal ones?"

Helen laughed. "After you get here and everyone else is sleeping off my antidote, Jarod, then you can rip into me, I promise."

"Will it make any difference?"

"Of course not."

"Great." He rolled his eyes. "Still, that probably won't stop me..."

# # #


Maverick, Connecticut
"Tomorrow?" Margaret looked slightly nervous. "Doesn't that seem a little too soon?"

"The longer we leave it, the more time they’ll have to work around our blockade, or to strengthen defenses within the building. Besides, this isn't the whole plan, and any further steps will depend on the success of this." Charles put his hands over those of his wife. "This is simple and straightforward enough that it has a very good chance of success, but it won't be something they'll be looking for - damage to Centre property, yes, but not the files. This is a good move."

"I can think of a way to improve it," his eldest son began.

"Keep going like that, Jarod, and I'll suggest to Helen that you don't come at all."

"Then who'd drive?"

"I would." Major Charles eyed the younger man severely. "I think Helen's right. You won't be able to guarantee having enough strength and once inside the Centre we can't leave you behind, or be hindered by needing to carry somebody out. This all has to be done quickly."

Margaret gathered her son's hands in hers. "Jarod, I just wish that you were Jon's age so I could forbid you from going the way I can with him. Although I agree that something has to be done, I just wish it was possible without any of us having to go near that awful place."

The Pretender's face softened as he looked at her. "Mom, we'll be okay."

Miss Parker looked at his brother. "What does she say?"

Ethan grinned. "She says that Helen's plan will work." He fixed his eyes on his brother. "As long as we don't make any adjustments, anyway."

"This is a conspiracy," Jarod muttered, rolling his eyes.

"No, this is an attempt to regain some of what we've lost to the Centre through all our lifetimes," his cousin told him firmly. "And to guarantee us a future without having to be burdened with doubt and anxiety. You asked me, a couple of years ago, what would happen to us when we had all the answers. Maybe it's time to find out."

"And when we do," Emily added, "then we can make sure that nobody else - including David and Michael - has to go through the uncertainty that we have."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Do you think it's going to work?"

Helen looked up at Sam as, about to get into bed beside her, the sweeper jumped. "I thought you were asleep."

"Without having said 'goodnight'? Hardly."

He drew her into his arms, kissing her. "Why do you suddenly have doubts?"

"They're not sudden. Though I'm used to planning ahead for things like this I'm not used to having to rely on other people for help."

"You're just a control freak," he teased.

"That might be it." She smiled faintly. "But do you think it'll be okay, or are we all going to be dead by this time the day after tomorrow?"

"It's great you've got so much confidence in yourself." Gently he brushed her lips with his, a hand gently stroking her hair. "Helen, it'll be okay, I'm sure. We'll go in, grab all the things we want, and leave again."

"So you have no doubts?"

"I never said that. I'm not ecstatic about needing to go there again, but it's necessary - we all know that. And I'm certainly not letting you go in there without me."

"Is it necessary or am I doing what Jarod suggested - trying to be a hero?"

"If that's what you were trying to do, you’d have disappeared one night to try and do it yourself."

Her lips twisted into a smile and she refused to meet his eye. Sam put one finger under her chin and lifted her face to his.

"Helen, you were planning to do exactly that, weren't you?"

"The thought had crossed my mind, yes," she admitted. "I really hate the thought that I could be coming up with this grand scheme that could get us all killed - and for what? The possibility..."

"Of ending the guilt that Sydney's been carrying for almost thirty years, the doubt your aunt's had for equally as long about your parents' death, questions that Miss Parker's had for years about her mother. Really, Helen, these aren't small things. The information we find will make such a big difference to the lives of so many people. Then, with free minds, we can close the place down, so saving other people from having to go through similarly difficult lives."

"I just wish I'd thought about this when I was able to slip in and out of the Centre at will, and then I could have gotten it all then and not have had to worry about it now."

"That situation hasn't changed,” Sam reminded her. “It's the same as it always was - the identical risks and dangers, getting information for the same people..."

"But I'm putting lives at risk this time, and not just my own."

"Steve was right in what he said. He wouldn't want the burden of guilt that he's got information at the risk of someone else's life. I talked to Major Charles briefly, before he returned to his family in Connecticut," Sam's voice deepened with the emotion he felt, "and before we knew whether any of those treatments were going to work and he felt terribly guilty at the thought of what you'd gone through, just because you were trying to get information to protect his family."

"It did work, Sam." She pressed closer to him, feeling his arms tighten around her. "I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere."

"I don’t want to lose you again, Helen. I had to leave you in Minnesota and then I thought that you were leaving me..."

"I wouldn't do that willingly, unless I thought there was no other way. It wasn't my choice, Sam."

"If we get through this all right, tomorrow..."

As he hesitated, she looked up. "What, Sam? If we get through this, what?"

"Will you do what David suggested?"

"Do you mean, 'will I marry you'?"

"Yes." Sam raised one hand and placed it gently on her cheek, his thumb resting near her lips. "I never want to lose you, and the best way I can think of to make sure that it doesn't happen is to marry you."

"You always like getting your own way," she smiled. "And you did say I was very accommodating in that respect."

"It would give those children a father, as well as a mother." He kissed her. "After we get back..."

"Yes, Sam." Linking her arms behind his neck and resting her head on his chest, Helen nodded. "After we get back."

# # #


The little box beside the bed revealed the first sound and Helen woke, easing out of Sam's arms. Turning down the volume so it wouldn't disturb him, she left the room and hurried into the next one, her eyes fixed on the small boy who lay, sobbing, as he had been when she had first seen him.

"It's all right, David." Gently, she picked him up, and he nestled against her, a fist pressed into his mouth, sobbing against her neck. "I'm here now, baby. It's okay. You're safe." She took his hand away from his face, looking down to where the small teeth had sunk into the skin. "You don't have to hide that here, sweetie. You can cry. I told you that."

"I thought... he might... hear me..."

"He can't, honey, I promise. If you have a bad dream and you're scared, you call out to me and I'll come and give you a big hug like I promised on the first day you were here, remember?"

"Uh huh." He snuggled into her arms as Helen sat down on the bed, the final tears rolling down his cheeks. "And are you sure...?"

"David, he can't find you here,” she soothed. “He'll never find you again, and that's a promise. If I tell you that, you can be sure that I mean it." She held him closer and he clung to her, sobbing for one last time before he was quiet.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, my darling?"

"How did you know?"

She picked up the box from where its place next to the bed, showing it to him. "I can hear you on this, honey. I have one just like it beside my bed, too, so I can hear you when you make a noise."

"And for Michael, too?"

"That's right, sweetie. I want to make sure that both of my favorite little men are okay, and that's the best way to do it."

"If we're your favorite little men, what's Sam?" the boy asked curiously.

"He's my favorite grown-up man." She smiled. "And that makes us a family."

"My family?"

"Yes, honey."

"Did he mean it when he said that my real Mommy and Daddy were gone?"

Helen’s eyes saddened. "I think so, sweetheart."

"Is that why you said you'd be my mom?"

"Yes, David." She gently wiped away the last traces of tears. "I have photos of them so you don't forget what they looked like, but Sam and I will do all of the things they would have, until you're a big man like Jarod and can go and start your own life somewhere else."

"So I really don't have to go back there?"

"No, sweetie, you never have to. You can stay here for as long as you want, and when you start school you'll be at a place nearby and you’ll come home every night to tell me all the fun things you've done all day."

"And what do you do?"

"I'm a doctor, baby. I look after children when they're sick."

"So what does Sam do?"

"We're not sure what he or Steve will do now, David. That still has to be decided."

Standing up, Helen carried him along the hall and into bathroom, seating him on the cabinet that held the basin before taking a box down from the cupboard.

"What are you doing, Mommy?"

"I'm going to put some sticking plaster on your fingers, so they don't get germs in them." She took out one and tore off the paper before showing him the picture on it. "You see, darling? They're from that TV show you were watching yesterday."

He nodded, resting against her as she put a plaster on each of the tiny cuts. After it was finished, she put the rubbish in the bin and replaced the box in the cupboard.

"Can you sleep now, sweetheart?"

"Can I sleep in your bed?"

Hesitating for a moment, she finally nodded. "All right, but only for tonight."

Reaching up, he wrapped both arms around her neck and rested his head against her shoulder. She stroked his hair, opening the door of her room to see the smile that appeared on the face of the man in bed. David raised his head and looked at her.

"Is this where Daddy sleeps, too?"

"Yes, baby." She handed him to the man before getting into bed, and the boy snuggled down in between them.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, David." Sam looked down into the small face with a smile. "What is it?"

"Will you play with my train with me tomorrow?"

"Of course I will."


Sam smiled as the boy yawned, snuggling down in his arms, but with one hand still tightly wrapped around Helen's finger.

"Good."

The child closed his eyes, convulsively clutching the woman's finger for a moment before he relaxed. Sam raised a hand and gently stroked Helen's hair with a smile.

"You sounded just like a mother."

"You were listening?"

"I woke up when you left the room and heard it through your 'security system' as you named it to Jarod when you bought it."

She laughed softly. "Were you listening then, too?"

"He told me. We were discussing the children."

"So he trusts you?"

"I think so. Steve seems to, as well. He didn't make any sudden excuses to leave the room earlier when he and I were the only two people there, like he did when I was here that other evening."

"That's probably fortunate, considering you're going to be here from now on."

"I knew I could talk you around to that idea. Shall I ask Mom to bring my rug, next time she comes to visit?"

"Maybe she can bring all the things that are still stored in your old room. Now that I've brought so many things down from the attic, there's a lot more room."

"She was thinking about moving."

"I know. She told me when we were talking earlier. I think it's a good idea. If there was another room free upstairs here, I'd suggest she move in here, but we can't really have her sleeping in the cellar."

"All the rooms down there are full."

She smiled. "Well, they are at the moment, but I doubt Sydney or Michelle will be here forever, or Nicholas either."

"But there's still Steve..."

"And Ethan. I promised him a room here if he wants it, and he and Steve get on really well. I think Steve's still a little overawed by the amount that Jarod's changed since he left the Centre, but Ethan seems to be easier for Steve to deal with."

Sam laughed softly. "Jarod overawes people anyway."

"Even the sweeper who used to oversee his simulations?"

The man raised an eyebrow. "How do you know that?"

"Do you know how many DSAs of Jarod I've seen? There were even a few times when I’d watch the actual SIMs from the vents. It was lucky that I had the DSAs to watch later, because I always seemed to be distracted."

"Hmm, I wonder why that would be." He kissed her. "Couldn't have had anything to do with me, could it?"

# # #


Helen took the Pop-tarts out of the toaster, putting one on David's plate and the other on Sam's, before continuing to make the pancakes. Sydney rolled his eyes as he came up the stairs.

"And I thought Jarod ate badly."

She laughed. "Did you see all of the junk in his bag? Compared to that, this is positively healthy." Turning off the hotplate, she slid the steaming object onto Steve's plate and sat down. "As well as that, Sydney, there's muesli and fruit for those people who object to anything sweet. I don't think you can really complain about variety. There's toast and eggs, too, if you want that."

He eyed the pancake and Pop-tart again. "These children will have rotten teeth."

"They brush them after every meal." She spooned some baby food into Michael's waiting mouth. "Besides, all their other meals are healthy, so this is a good balance."

The psychiatrist smiled. "You can be very convincing, you know."

"I'm getting into practice for when Jarod comes later."

"Is he coming?" David looked up eagerly and she smiled.

"Yes, baby, he and Miss Parker and a lot of other people as well, for the next few days."

"Goody." The boy bounced in his seat and Sam laughed.

"Steady, David. We don't want you to fall off."

"Can I sit on your knee instead then?"

"Not at the table while you're eating, honey," Helen interposed quickly. "But you can do that when you're both playing with your train."

"Okay." The child ate the last bite of his pop tart and drank some milk before starting on the soft-boiled egg that Helen gave him.

# # #


"Did we miss breakfast?"

"Sadly, no." Helen rolled her eyes. "But I'm about to miss all of the food that was here until you lot showed up."

Jarod laughed, slipping more pop-tarts into the toaster. "We can always do a big shop, for you on the way..." Feeling the pressure of a foot on his, he looked at Helen and followed her line of vision to where the small boy was watching him. With a slight nod, the man went over and picked up the child. "How are you, kiddo?"

"Good, Jarod." The boy threw his arms around the man's neck. "Are you going to stay for as long as you did that other time?"

"Maybe, David. We'll see." He returned the child to his chair and got the two pastry squares out of the toaster, taking a plate from the cupboard and sitting down.

"That was my seat, if you don't mind," Helen protested as she turned around with a mug in each hand.

"I don't mind at all," he laughed. "And if you mind, that's your problem."

Sam slipped an arm around the woman's waist and pulled her down to sit on his lap. "This is just as good."

"How come you get to do that and I don't, Mommy?” David protested at once. ”That's not fair!"

Helen caught the psychiatrist's eye, grinning. "Why didn't you teach Jarod better table manners, Sydney?"

"Oh, I tried, Helen. Believe me, I tried." He rolled his eyes. "David, this is only for now because there's so many people here, and she's finished breakfast."

"But I've finished breakfast, as well." He scrambled down from his seat, running over to Helen and holding out his arms. "So can I sit on Daddy's knee now?"

"I'm sitting on his knee, baby." Helen picked him up, laughing. "But you can sit on my knee if you like."

"Okay." He snuggled against her. "If Jarod sits in your seat every day, will you sit here and then I can sit like this too?"

"We'll see, honey." She eyed Jarod viciously and he grinned. "But I don't think, if he knows what's good for him, that he will sit in my seat every day."

# # #


Helen dropped the needle into the container and carefully screwed the lid on, before glancing at Steve. "Sorry."

"That's okay." He pulled down his sleeve. "I've had so many of those that I don’t really even feel them anymore."

"And Sydney did your physical, right?"

"Twenty minutes ago." He stood up from the stool. "Is there anything I can do for you now?"

"You can go and lie down so I don't have to carry you to bed when that kicks in," she smiled.

He laughed. "How would you manage?"

"Oh, it probably wouldn't be too hard. I half-carried Jarod upstairs when he began to get sick, and we're on the same level so that would make it easier."

"Well, I won't make difficulties for you." He suddenly yawned widely and she eyed him.

"It's not supposed to kick in quite that fast."

"I didn't get a lot of sleep last night," he admitted. "I guess I'm kind of..."

"Nervous," she finished for him. "I can understand that, Steve. But we're all feeling a bit that way today, trust me."

"Even you?"

"Definitely. You know what happened to me the last time I was there, and I don't feel like a repeat performance. Besides, I feel like I've got responsibility for this whole expedition and that's no light weight, I promise you."

"Ethan said everything would be okay."

"I'm glad to hear it, but I'll be a lot happier in," Helen quickly consulted her watch, "fourteen hours from now."

"Well, you can distract yourself by having that discussion with Jarod. That ought to last until the rest of us wake up again."

"And longer," Helen laughed as she shut and locked the cupboard, putting the key in her pocket. "I'm fully expecting us to still be arguing about it when we arrive in Delaware tonight. In fact, if I know Jarod, we'll still be 'discussing', to use your term, it all when we get back here." She gently squeezed his hand. "Try and get some sleep, Steve, for even longer if possible. We can always call you before we go."

# # #


"Well?"

"Everyone's sleeping soundly." Helen looked from Jarod to Sydney. "How are we all in terms of health?"

"All but one driver got full marks." He eyed Jarod before turning to Helen. "I think your plan is a good one, if only for that reason."

"What's wrong with me?"

Sydney handed over the notepad in which he had been keeping track of the test results. "Slight anemia. I'll start you on a dietary supplement before you go back to Connecticut."

"That may not be from the measles."

"Well, you didn't have it when they performed the physical during your last stay in the Centre, and that was only two years ago, so whenever it's developed during the intervening period, anything I give you can only help."

"This is definitely a conspiracy," the Pretender muttered and Sam laughed.

"Would it make it any easier for you if Sydney drove and you stayed here?"

"Then you'd be one gunman short."

"Hey, I can shoot," Sydney protested. "You don't think I was really aiming for the man himself, do you? The tank looked so much more impressive when it blew up than if Raines had."

Helen laughed. "Actually, the only people who aren't taking guns with us tonight are Steve, Nick, and Ethan."

"Besides, if Sydney went then Michelle would have to be concerned about three people, not just two."

"What's another one," the woman commented drily, "when two of the most important people in my life are already risking their necks?"

# # #


Helen smoothed her hair before putting on the black cap and checking the safety on her gun. As she slid it into the holster, a figure came into the room behind her and Helen turned to see Sam in his suit.

"I always thought that was an attractive uniform,” she commented. “If it wasn't for what everybody else who's wearing it wanted to do to me right now, I'd probably ask you to wear it all the time."

"Well, as it would make a few people here slightly nervous, I think I might refuse."

She pretended to look hurt. "You'd refuse a request of mine?"

"Only that one." He kissed her. "I'd love to say the same about your outfit, but, as I know what you wear it for, I can't. It worries me too much."

"Well, this is the last time you'll have to worry and you'll be there with me, so that has to help, right?"

"Hmm, maybe." Sam took out and checked the status of his own weapon before returning it to his holster "We'll have to find a good hiding place for these."

"We'll make one. I'm sure you could put a lock on one of the kitchen cupboards."

He slipped an arm around her waist. "Have you ever had to use it?"

"Once. I was hiding on one side of those trees when the security guard came by early and was about to check the place where I was. I fired a shot into the trees on the far side - with the silencer - and he went over there to check. Naturally, I used the time to scarper."

"That was rather clever," he laughed.

"I thought so." She grinned. "Shall we go down and make everybody in the living room slightly tense at the sight of you?"

The sweeper laughed. "It's lucky Nicholas is driving our car or Jarod might be so busy keeping an eye on me that he could send us off the road."

"Why do you think I planned it that way? That's also why our car will have your boss and not the others in it. Consciously they're all aware that you're on our side, but, subconsciously, they've had several years to get scared of the sight of that outfit. It's best this way."

"Is that also why we're working together?"

"That and the fact that I've heard enough complaints from Jarod about the whole thing. I didn't want to have to hear a whole lot from you as well."
Part 24 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 24



Ashe, New York
"Any questions, either about the locks or anything else?" Helen demanded at the end of the briefing.

"Who's going where?" Major Charles queried.

Helen glanced at the man who sat beside her. "Sam and I are taking the office of my brother."

"Why do you get the tough job?" Miss Parker asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Because I chose it." Helen grinned. "That's the benefit of having arranged this whole operation myself."

"Okay, so who else is pairing up?" Ethan put in.

"My suggestion was Miss Parker and her brother and Charles and Steve,” Helen responded. “Is that a problem for anyone?"

"I... I'd rather not take his office," the younger Pretender stammered anxiously.

"No, Steve, I wasn't intending for you to. I thought you and Charles could take Mr. Parker's office. It's been locked since early this afternoon and there's nobody in it, so that ought to make it quite easy."

"And that leaves Ethan and I to take Raines' office," Miss Parker finished.

"Exactly. You can keep in contact with Broots and he can tell you the best places to look."

Helen grinned at the man on the computer screen, who laughed.

"As long as I'm not there, I don't care."

"How's Debbie?"

"Fine. Your two?"

"The same and in bed. They don't know what's planned." Helen looked at Ethan. "Are you happy with that?"

"It's fine." He looked up sharply. "Is it also empty?"

"Yes." Leaning forward, she opened a cardboard box and took out two metal cases, handing one each to Major Charles and Miss Parker. "These contain all the possible drugs. The numbers are all clear - and luminescent - so you'll know which ones to use, in what order. If one doesn't work, try the next. Each will take between ten and thirty seconds to begin working, and there's a list of information about what each one does. You can read that in the car."

"And we're protected against all of them?"

"Yes. They're all related by their chemical compound and that's why one vaccine was enough. At most, all you'll feel is a slight headache, but otherwise you'll have to watch the responses of the unprotected people to know if they've worked."

"And how will we get back to the meeting point?"

"I'll be marking the walls of the vents with luminescent spots as we go, and you can follow them back. As I said during the call, if anyone's missing when we gather afterwards, I'll go back in to find them. If, at any point, you lose radio contact, stop moving and someone will come to find you."

"You've really planned for this, haven't you?" Miss Parker looked at the woman with a degree of admiration.

"This is the sort of security net I would have loved to have for myself on all of the other occasions that I've been inside the Centre. Besides, none of you know any of the vent system where we'll be. The only people who know it other than me are Angelo and Jarod, and no," she looked up at him sharply, "it doesn't make up for all of the other risks."

"Hey, I haven't protested to you for the last half hour!"

"You haven't been in the same room with me in the last half hour," she answered, laughing.

"What happens," Ethan interrupted softly at this point, "if we can't get one of their holes open?"

"Wait outside the room - the vent, of course, not the hallway - and, when I come past with Sam on the way out, I'll have a try myself. It's possible they've locked some of the cupboards if they aren't being used."

"Or locked them to protect the contents."

"Exactly. But we can always break into them if we have to - and I do mean that in a literal sense. Nobody has a reason to be coming into the offices."

"Except your brother's."

"True." She grinned at Sam again. "That's why I'm taking a bodyguard." She took a last glance at the blueprints before rolling each one up and giving them to each pair. "Oh, I ought to add that Raines' office was 'cleaned' yesterday so his remains are gone, as are all traces of Ammon. Still, it may be an idea not to remove your gloves, just in case. That goes for everybody. We don't want to leave fingerprints."

"What took them so long?" Major Charles asked curiously.

"The same thought that stopped Mr. Parker from ordering Lyle's body removed until several days after his death - putting off opposition."

"That sort of thing should put off anyone," Miss Parker commented in disgust. "At least it should be completely gone by the time we get there."

"Oh, it is. Of course, I can't smell the offices, but they certainly look clean."

"How long will we spend in there?" Ethan queried.

"We'll have an hour from the time we're standing outside the vents until we meet at the cars. It'll take about ten or so minutes to get through the system to the offices, so that will leave about forty minutes to hunt and another ten to get back out. We'll wait another fifteen minutes for stragglers, before I go back in to hunt for them." She eyed each person firmly. "That vent system is incredibly complicated. If you think you've become lost, stop at once. If it's safe - by which I mean that if you think nobody can hear you through walls or doors - then radio for help and I'll come to find you. If not, wait in silence until I do."

"So, counting travel time, we should be back here in Ashe at about five."

"Exactly. I'd suggest that, for the trip home, unless you're being chased by large black sedans, you stop and change drivers at least once."

"What, we can't do that while we're being chased? What a disappointment."

Helen glanced from Major Charles, as he spoke laughingly, to Jarod. "You know, I think you were wrong in your earlier statement. It sounds to me as if your father can be just as sarcastic as you. And I know your brother and second cousin can be."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Her eyes averted from the body that Sam dragged away from beside the air vent cover, Helen gave the object a shove, relieved when it moved. Dropping into the shaft, she stood away to one side, waiting until five other people climbed down into the darkness beside her.

"Stay close and quiet."

Turning, she led the way along the passages, marking the walls with luminescent stickers as she went, down several ladders, until an opening to one side caused her to halt.

"This is Raines' office."

Pulling the metal file out of her sleeve, she unlocked the cover, pushing it inwards. Immediately Miss Parker and Ethan stepped forward.

"When you're done, pull it closed. I'll lock it again as I pass."

A short distance away, she arrived at a second cover and opened it for Steve and Major Charles. As they began to search, she and Sam made their way along the passages to the third office.

"Helen," a voice murmured in her ear.

"What is it, Broots?"

"Your brother's just walked into his office."

She cursed silently. "Is it a short visit?"

"No, he's just sat down to start working."

"Will the door make a sound as you lock it?"

"No."

"Good. Do it. We'll have to use the gas."

Glancing at the sweeper in the half-darkness, Helen could see that he had heard the message as well, through the earphones that all of them wore, and his fist had tightened around the gun in his hand.

"No, Sam." Her voice was a whisper. "We can do this without hurting anyone. We might even be able to use it to our advantage."

"How?" he hissed.

"Trust me," she grinned. "Wait and see."

Arriving at the room, and before opening the cover, she snapped open the vial and blew over the opening. The liquid was quickly converted into a gas and, with her breath sending it through the bars, began to fill the room. When the container was empty, she silently returned it to her pocket, keeping an eye on the man who was seated behind the desk. She also ran an eye over the walls, noting the ones that apparently had hidden spaces behind them.

Suddenly the occupant gave yawned widely, stretching slightly and shaking his head before trying to concentrate again on his work. Smiling, Helen watched the pace of his typing slow as his head sank forwards several times. Before she could glance at Sam, Helen's brother leaned his head on one hand, stretching out the other for the glass on his desk, but the drug was too powerful and as the two people continued to watch, the man suddenly slumped to one side. His head lifted, before falling back on his arm as his breathing became slower and deeper.

"Is he out?"

The man's voice behind her was a murmur and she grinned.

"You tell me."

From her pocket she took out the metal file and opened the cover, climbing into the room and watching as Sam, gun in his hand, followed her. With a wave, she directed him to stand back against the wall and moved to stand in front of his desk, suddenly speaking cheerfully.

"Hey, big brother, nap time's over."

As Sam's eyes widened in shock, the man raised his head, blinking several times to focus on the woman in front of him, before gazing at her through dreamy eyes, a faint smile on his lips. When he spoke, his tone was pleasantly drowsy.

"Hello, Helen."

"I want you to do me a couple of favors."

"Of course." His voice was dull. "Anything at all."

"First, open all the cupboards in the room for me and any other secret places you might have."

The man rose and moved over to the wall, opening one panel after another to reveal a number of folders and piles of paper in each hole. Taking a key from his pocket, he walked over to the desk and opened the drawers. Lastly he pushed aside the big filing cabinet, and then wandered over to where Helen stood.

"What else, ma'am?"

"I want you to tell me something. Why were Michelle and Nicholas allowed to live, when normally you would simply order their deaths?"

"Michelle is our aunt."

"How long have you known that for?"

As she put the question to her brother, Helen watched Sam begin to take out the files and slip them into the large bags he carried. When each cupboard was empty, he closed it with a muffled click. In the meantime, she listened to her brother's response.

"I've known ever since I started working at the Centre. The head of the Triumvirate at the time told me. That was the reason they offered me a job in the first place, to keep an eye on her."

"Do you know why they never gave me one?"

"Because they didn't want pairs working together within the building. That's also why Michelle was forced to leave."

"And how long have you known that I'm your sister?"

"Only since you told me. I had no idea Mom and Dad had any more children after they put me up for adoption."

"Since when has family loyalty meant enough to you that you'd let Michelle or her son live? You didn't extend that generosity to me and I'm an even closer relative of yours than she is."

"I had to maintain a persona."

Helen snorted. "The truth please."

"I'm jealous of you,” he admitted. “You had a much better childhood than I did."

"What do you know about my childhood?" the woman demanded.

"I don't know things for sure but I assumed..."

"Assumptions are dangerous. Never make any again."

"Yes, ma'am," he responded readily.

Helen watched out of the corner of her eye as Sam retrieved a thick bundle of the folders from the space behind the filing cabinet and pushed it back into position. Walking to the desk, he emptied the drawers' contents into the bag, shut and locked them before handing her the key. Helen gave it to the man who stood beside her with his eyes half-open and sleepily fixed on her as he swayed slightly.

"Put it back in your pocket."

Nodding groggily, he did as directed and then looked back at her.

"Is that everything or are you still trying to hide something? You know that it isn't possible for you to do so now, so you may as well tell me."

"I have a daughter."

"Where is she?"

"SL-25."

Helen's eyes widened slightly and her voice became both incredulous and icy as she stared at him. "You're using your own daughter as a subject?" she hissed between clenched teeth.

"I had a brief affair with her mother and she left me."

"So you had her killed, correct?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"How old is your daughter?"

"The same age as David."

"Where in SL-25 is she?"

"SL-2518."

"And is she alone?"

"Yes. The brat cries herself to sleep every night and I got sick of complaints from the people who were caring for her, so I lock her in myself each night. I'm the only person with a key."

The woman's hands clenched into fists and it was only with difficulty that she was able to prevent herself from pulling out her gun and shooting the man.

"You know, of course, that I'll be taking her with me."

"Of course. If you felt it was necessary to get David and that useless clone being cared for by Steven, you’d have to feel the same about your own niece." The man eyed her drowsily in silence for a second. "She looks quite like you. People will think she's your daughter. She looks nothing like either me or her mother."

"And what drugs have you treated her with?"

"There's a file on the wall in the room that will tell you all of that. It's accurate."

"What's her name?"

"Louise Michelle. I called her after Mom and our aunt."

Helen nodded slowly. "Is that everything?"

"When you've read all the information Sam's taken, you'll know everything."

"I can imagine." Helen eyed the man in front of her. "Go back to your chair now."

The man went over to the desk and sat down in the seat, pulling it under the desk before folding his hands. He looked up at her for further directions, his eyelids beginning to droop again as the sedative kicked in more aggressively and his head swayed slightly from side to side. Waiting for a moment, Helen finally spoke again.

"When I give you the direction, you will fall asleep and not wake until nine o'clock in the morning. Is that understood?"

"Of course, Helen," he agreed.

"Good. Sleep."

His head dropped forward onto the desk with a loud crack, one eye landing on the corner of the keyboard, but the head of the Triumvirate never reacted. With a grin, Helen waited for a moment until his breathing deepened before she turned to the sweeper.

"Are you ready to get a third child?"

He nodded. "We can't leave her here."

"I'm glad you agree." The woman put on the backpack that Sam handed to her as the two of them got into the vent. Locking it after them, Helen glanced down at her watch and sharply drew in her breath.

"Broots, can you hear me?"

"I sure can. Do you want me to tell Jarod that you'll be a little longer?"

"Give us another half hour or so. Make it flexible. You can hear every word I say and you'll know if I need more time."

"Sure thing."

Helen turned to Sam. "Are you...?"

"I'm coming with you."

"Okay, fine." She led the way to the ladder going to SL-25, descending them in silence. Once they were outside the relevant room, she stopped and unlocked the cover, turning to whisper in Sam’s ear, “Stay out of sight. One is enough."

"Can do."

His voice was a murmur and he took the backpack, slipping into shadows. Helen waited until her eyes adjusted to the dim light and she could see the child lying in the bed. As with David, the girl was sobbing into her pillow and the woman softly swung open the cover, climbing down into the room.

"Louise?"

The girl rolled over and looked up fearfully. "W… who are you?"

"My name's Helen. I'm your auntie." She went towards the bed. "I'm going to get you out of here, honey, and take you to my home."

"R... really?"

"Yes, sweetheart." Sitting on the bed, the woman could see the similarities of which her brother had spoken. "I've got other children at my house and you'll be able to play with them all day when we get there. Have you ever met David?"

"Uh huh." The girl wiped her eyes with her sleeve. "Once. Angelo took me along in the dark to see him."

"Angelo's at my home, too. I bet you've missed him for a few days, haven't you?"

"Yes." The tears started again. "He used to come every day, but then he didn't."

"That's because he came home with me instead. I'm sure that he's looking forward to seeing you again. Do you want to see him too?"

"Really bad. He was the only person that was nice."

"I'll be nice too, sweetie, and I'll give you lovely toys and dolls to play with. Would you like that?"

As the girl nodded, Helen put out one hand, touching her hair. Louise flinched, but, as the woman didn't react, the child gradually crept closer. With one hand still resting on the girl's hair, Helen put the other around Louise's back, raising her slowly into her arms.

"Is the man going to come, auntie?" the girl asked.

"You mean the one with red hair?"

"Uh huh," she snuffled.

"No, baby, he's not. I'm going to take you into the darkness, like Angelo did, and then out to my car."

"I saw a picture of a car once," the girl confided trustingly, gulping down the last of her sobs and wiping her eyes. "It was in a book."

"Well, tonight you can travel in a car with me and we'll take you home."

"Whose 'we'?"

"All of my friends. You can trust them, Louise."

"Like I can trust you?"

"Exactly, darling." She lifted the girl into her arms, feeling her snuggle up against her neck. "Let's go, shall we?"

"Please, auntie."

After taking the folder off the wall Helen climbed back into the vents, locking the cover after her. Pocketing the metal file, she handed Sam the folder as the two people made their way along the passages, through the darkness. Passing the two offices that the other pairs had searched, Helen locked the covers, and they were almost at the ladder leading to the exit when the woman stopped.

"Broots, is everyone at the cars?"

"Affirmative. Only you two missing."

"Good." She eyed the ladder and then Sam. "Ready to get out of here?"

"Dying to." He paused. "Can you manage?"

"It's fine. You go first. I can't draw anything with this."

Understanding, he nodded and, as he started to climb Helen looked down at the girl whose face was still pressed against her neck. "Are you awake, baby?"

"Uh huh."

"I'm going to carry you up the ladder. I want you to hold on around my neck, but not too tight, okay? Then we'll be outside."

Without a word, the girl wrapped both arms around the woman and Helen started to ascend the ladder. It was as she was almost at the top that she heard a sound below her. Glancing over her shoulder, she saw the faint flicker of light and held more firmly on to the girl in her arms.

"Hang on tight, honey. This will be quick."

As the girl silently nodded and tightened her grasp, Helen virtually ran up the last few steps, using Sam's hand to pull herself out of the vent.

"Bolt it down. Quick."

He shot a startled look at her, but tightened the external lock, making exit through the cover impossible. Sitting on the grass, Helen caught her breath before looking down at her niece.

"Well done, baby. I'm very proud of you for doing exactly what I said."

"Are they coming?"

"Not now, sweetheart. We're all safe now."

The child looked up at Sam as the man bent down beside them. "Who's that?"

An eyebrow raised, the woman looked at the sweeper, who grinned. "My name's Sam, Louise. I'm going to be your uncle soon."

Nodding, the child looked back at Helen. "Can we go home now?"

"That sounds like a very good idea, Louise." She got to her feet, feeling as the girl began to shiver slightly. "I'll wrap you in a lovely, warm blanket when we get to the car so you don't feel cold, okay?"

"I'd like that," the child confessed softly.

Helen gently kissed the girl's cheek as they began to walk towards the dark shadows where the cars were parked.

"I should have known you could never only do what you planned," came a teasing voice as they approached and the doctor laughed softly.

"I always like surprises. Have we got everything and everyone?"

"We have and we've waited long enough. Let's get out of this miserable town."

As they stored the backpacks into the trunk of the car, Helen pulled out a rug and took a second that Jarod handed to her with a grin. Opening the rear door, she sat down and wrapped the girl in them, making sure that she was warmly covered.

"Is that nice, sweetie?"

"Uh huh." The girl's eyes were drowsy now as she looked up. "Can I go to sleep, auntie? I'm so tired."

"Yes, baby. Of course you can sleep. You just close your eyes and relax."

"Will you still be here when I wake up?"

"I'll still be with you, darling, but we won't be here. We'll be at my house."

Nodding sleepily, the girl nestled closer against the woman's shoulder and, with a sigh, closed her eyes. As she fell asleep, Helen looked around. "What are we waiting for? Let's go home."

# # #


Outside Blue Cove, Delaware
"That's going to be a nasty black eye your brother's got, Helen."

The woman laughed softly. "You're telling me. Did you record it for the enjoyment of those less fortunate, by whom I mean the six who weren't there or couldn't see it live?"

"Of course." Broots laughed also. "I want the chance to watch it again too. It's very entertaining."

Sam grinned as he drove. "Although I questioned Helen's sanity when she began to talk, it did make things a lot easier."

"Otherwise we would have left Louise to her father's treatments." Helen looked down at the girl who lay, sound asleep, in her aunt's arms, one hand clutching the woman’s left thumb. "And that's a simply unbearable thought."

"Particularly considering some of the things they've been doing to her," remarked Jarod from the front passenger seat. "When you read this, you'll think a black eye won't even come close to what he deserves."

"Using his own daughter for experiments – no matter what they are – means he deserves every bad thing that happens to him." Helen gently swept a long, red curl out of the sleeping girl's eyes. "Will she be a danger - either to herself or any of us?"

"Are you asking whether they tried to program her in some way so she might betray us to her father? No. Most of the experiments were attempts to try making her into a pretender artificially." He lifted another page and inhaled sharply. "This says that, later today, they were planning to try the same experiments on her that they performed on Timmy in 1970, that made him into Angelo."

Helen's eyes filled with tears. "We would have lost her forever." As the man in the seat in front of her nodded soberly, Helen held Louise more tightly. "Broots, can my aunt and Sydney hear this conversation?"

"They can, and they are," the technician responded. "You can even talk to them if you want to."

"Yes, thanks."

"Was he right, Helen? Does she look like you?" Michelle’s voice asked after a second’s pause.

"Very much so," Miss Parker commented as she looked down at the child. "She'd easily be able to be passed off as Helen's daughter and not her niece."

"Auntie, can you set up a spare bed in my room? We can properly arrange things later, but she can sleep in our room for a while."

"I'll sleep on the camp bed and she can sleep with you, if you think that’d be better," the sweeper commented from the driver's seat."

"We'll see when we get there."

"Helen," Sydney put in at this point, "what did Sam mean by the words he used when he introduced himself to Louise?"

She smiled. "It was a deal we made, Sydney, although he was jumping the gun a little."

"Home, safe; close enough," the sweeper shrugged, grinning.

"So you two are engaged now?"

"Hey, I had to fulfill my part of the bargain, didn't I?" She grinned at the expression on the face of the woman beside her. "Yes, I suppose we are."

"Congratulations, sweetie."

"Thank you, Auntie. Are you able to deal with a sweeper as a nephew-in-law, if there is any such relationship?"

"Oh, I think I'll manage," Michelle laughed. "At least, I will as long as he promises not to wear that dark suit of his too often."

"I'll see what I can do, ma'am," Sam responded, smiling.

"I thought I should mention, Helen," the technician put in at this point, "that the noises you heard behind you as you were climbing the ladder weren't sweepers or anybody who'd found out what we'd done. They were only a couple of security techs that had managed to climb up into the vents and were hoping to use the air vent cover as a means of exit. Not wanting to be punished, they didn't tell anyone they were going and, when they found that the cover was locked, they went back to the security room."

"So our thefts are still unknown? Good."

"And your brother's still out."

"You may as well unlock the rooms, just in case somebody wants to go in."

There was a moment of silence. "Done."

"Then you can probably call it a night, if you want to, Broots. Thanks for very fine work indeed."

"You're welcome. It was fun."

"You weren't within capturing distance," Miss Parker muttered darkly.

"But you do have to admit that he did a good job," Helen returned quickly.

"Well, maybe..."

"Don't worry, Helen," the man commented laughingly. "If she'd complimented me, I might have passed out from shock. Oh, I can either close down communication or leave it open - which would you rather?"

"Close it. Sydney and Michelle can try to get some sleep before we get home if they want to."

"So can we," Miss Parker added, suppressing a yawn.

"We'll see you in a few hours, sweetheart."

"Bye, Auntie."

# # #


Border of New Jersey and New York
Helen glanced over to where the woman slept on the car seat next to her and her fiancé drowsed in the passenger seat as Jarod drove.

"How was it outside?"

"Quiet," he answered laughingly. "Quiet and boring. But I'd rather it was that way than frantic."

"Did you and Nicholas talk?"

Jarod looked at her in the rearview mirror. "Just out of interest, did you have an ulterior motive for the way things were set up?"

"You didn't answer my question, Jarod."

"Yes, we did. Now answer mine."

"Yes, I did." She laughed softly. "I often do have ulterior motives."

"So it seems."

"And did Sydney and Michelle join in?"

"Occasionally, yes."

"Good." She looked out of the window with a satisfied expression on her face and Jarod laughed.

"It seems as if the main aim of your life is to make my life better."

"It's certainly one of them." She glanced down at her niece. "Making that of all my family, with the possible sole exception of my brother, better is another."

"Why am I so special?"

"You sound like Steve." She smiled. "Don’t be offended, but it's not you really, Jarod. My main aim is to make your mother's life better and if you're happier, so is she."

"Does she really mean that much to you?"

"Yes," the doctor responded softly. "Just before I got sick, Michelle's husband developed the heart problem that killed him a few years ago. That was the reason she didn't visit me when I was in the hospital. They moved to a warmer climate so he could build up his strength and, although we spoke on the phone every two weeks - that was when the tradition started - I never wanted to tell her everything I felt, just in case it caused her to feel torn between me and George. It was only when your mother came along that I was really able to let my feelings out. I felt so neglected and so angry that, despite being 'a good Catholic girl', I did have thoughts of suicide. I'm sure your mother was the reason I didn't do it."

"You were unselfish enough not to tell Michelle and yet selfish enough to think of killing yourself?" Jarod raised an eyebrow. "You wouldn't have gone through with it."

"Don’t try to psychoanalyze me," she smiled, before becoming serious. "You could be right. Maybe I wouldn't have done it. Still, I was very close, and I know it was only your mother that stopped from at least trying. Considering she was the person who not only gave me another chance at life but, despite how very hard her own life was, showed me the positive side of it, don't you think I owe her a substantial debt? Everything I did for you, Kyle, Em and Jon will never make up for what she did for me - not in my mind, anyway."

Jarod looked startled. "Kyle? You knew him?"

"I visited him in prison a number of time, yes. I found out where he was from the files in Raines' office and tracked his movements." She smiled faintly. "I supplied him with a notebook or two as well, when he ran out."

"Did he give you anything?"

"As a matter of fact, he gave me a parcel to give you after he remembered you one night. When I visited him the next day, he talked about you and the time both of you spent together."

"Why didn't you give it to me before?"

"To be honest, because I'd totally forgotten about it. It was almost five years ago, just before Kyle escaped actually, and we've been a little busy since the two of us met, wouldn't you say?" Helen grinned as he laughed. "But I’d have remembered it eventually. I'll give it to you later and you can look through it while we're going through the spoils."

"After we've all slept for a few hours."

"Precisely, although I don't feel too bad."

He eyed her. "You don't look that bad either, particularly considering the way you looked only a few days ago."

"I told you I was alright." She smiled. "I'd volunteer to drive, but..."

"Don't worry. We're nearly there."

Helen laughed. "That's why I added the 'but'."

# # #


Ashe, New York
"Auntie?"

"Yes, Louise?"

The woman looked down to find the girl drowsily watching her.

"Are we going to be there soon?"

"Very soon." She stroked the girl's hair gently. "Are you comfortable, honey?"

"Mmm hmm. But the car feels weird. It's moving all the time."

"That's called vibration, baby. The engine makes that happen."

"What does the engine do?"

"It's what makes the car go," Helen smiled. "Have you ever been outside of the Centre, sweetie?"

"No." The girl shook her head sleepily. "But I've seen lots of pictures. Is it like that, or different?"

"Very different, darling, and I'll show it all to you, I promise."

"I think it must be," the girl answered, rousing slightly. "I read once about the way it feels to have somebody hug you, but it's different than they said."

"Is it better?"

"Uh huh." The girl tightened her hold around the woman. "It's really nice."

"I'm glad, Louise." Helen gently kissed the girl's forehead, glancing up as the car pulled into the drive, another following it immediately. "There's a few more people here, honey, but they're all friends, all right?"

Louise nodded, keeping both arms around Helen's neck as the woman undid her seatbelt, getting out of the car. A dark shape appeared beside them and the child looked down in delight.

"Angelo!"

"I told you he was here, baby, remember?" Smiling, Helen looked down. "Let me get her inside, Angelo, and then you can renew old friendships, okay?"

"Cold."

"Exactly. She isn't now but she will be if we stand around."

Walking into the house, she took the child into the living room and sat down in a chair next to the fire. The girl pointed to the leaping flames.

"What's that?"

"It's called fire, honey. We use it to keep warm and sometimes to cook."

"It's pretty."

"Yes, it is." She smiled, unwrapping the blankets from around the girl and feeling her feet and hands. "Do you still feel nice and warm, sweetheart?"

"Yup." The girl looked around, a small smile on her face. "This is much nicer than the room I was in."

"You'll never have to go back to that room again, Louise. This is your home from now on."

"With you?"

"That's right." Helen looked up as Michelle walked in. "This is my auntie, baby, in the same way that I'm yours." She returned the older woman's kiss. "So, you can stop worrying now, I guess."

"What makes you think I didn't stop worrying after we spoke?"

"Because I know you better than that." Helen smiled. "And I also know the way I would have been in the same situation."

"And yet you still went through with it all." Michelle rolled her eyes. "You're as stubborn as your mother was."

"I seem to have heard that line before."

"Gee, I wonder where." The woman smiled. "I do seem to have said it several times during your lifetime."

Helen felt the girl relax against her, starting to nod drowsily. Looking up as the door opened, the doctor watched several bags get carried inside and dumped against the wall.

"We've got a full day coming up, haven't we?"

"Unless they're all duplicates of what's downstairs in your lab," Ethan suggested with a grin.

"Even if they are, it was worth it." Helen looked down to where the girl lay, asleep in her arms. Sam walked over and sat on the arm of the chair.

"Do you want me to...?"

"No, she can sleep in the temporary bed and you can share mine." She smiled. "I don't think you could find another one anyway. We've got to be full up with six additional guests."

"Five."

"You're right. Five guests and one new resident." Helen rose to her feet. "I think it's time for us to get a few hours' sleep before we start going through all of that lot." She nodded towards the bags. "I hope everyone's got a bed or will be able to at least find a sofa to sleep on."

"That's all sorted," Sydney responded. "There are enough beds for all of us, but we did have to reshuffle after a certain call."

"Expect the unexpected," Helen laughed. "Good night to everybody."

Sam put his arm around her shoulder as she walked up the stairs, Louise still in her arms. In the bedroom, the woman put the girl on the bed that was already turned back and pulled the blankets over her, tucking her in firmly and gently kissing the small, thin cheek. Standing, she felt Sam slip his arms around her waist.

"Three children before we were even engaged. What would the convent say?"

"That I'm doing what I was taught to - helping other people." Turning, she kissed him. "Or, if not helping them, at least making them happy, and that's something I do like doing."

"You've certainly succeeded in that." He held her closer. "I'm glad to see that you keep up your end of the deal. Congratulations, sweetheart."

"You, too." About to kiss him again, she suddenly looked down and yawned, hearing him laugh. "Maybe it's time to make myself happy, and bed would make me very happy right now."

# # #


Louise opened her eyes and looked around the room, the normal feeling of terror replaced by one of puzzlement that caused a small cleft to appear on her forehead. She sat up, looking around the room, and her eyes arrived at the figure of a woman lying in bed. At the sight, Louise's expression brightened, as she realized that the events of the night had been real, and the girl scrambled out of bed, going over to tentatively tug on the woman's hand.

"Auntie?"

The woman opened her eyes with a smile. "Hi, baby." She lifted the blankets and helped the child up, covering her again. "How's my girl?"

"Good." Louise hugged Helen hard. "How did I get in here?"

"You fell asleep downstairs and I carried you up, darling. Did you sleep well?"

"Uh huh." She scrunched up her nose. "But my tummy's making noises."

"I think you're probably hungry, baby." Helen glanced at the clock. "What did you have for dinner last night?"

"What's dinner?"

"The last meal - food - you have before you go to sleep."

"I never got that. I only get one meal between getting up and going to bed. Every time I woke up, he’d bring it in and watch me eat it."

Helen exchanged quick glances with Sam. "Well, you're going to get three meals every day here: one in the morning, called breakfast, one in the middle of the day that's called lunch and one in the evening called dinner."

"I think I read about them."

She looked up at Helen questioningly and the doctor laughed.

"What is it, baby?"

"Can I see David now?"

"Shall we go in and see if he's awake?"

"Uh huh."

"I think he will be," commented Sam with a yawn. "It's just past eight."

"We haven't heard anything." She glanced down at the two speakers on the table and laughed. "I think a certain psychiatrist was being considerate." Turning them on, she listened to the voices that could be heard coming from one of the rooms before standing up. "I'm going in to see them. If you..."

Glancing over her shoulder, Helen saw that Sam was already asleep again and grinned, reducing the volume before leaving the room.
Part 25 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 25



Ashe, New York
"How come you're so tired?"

"I didn't get to bed until late, David," Jarod responded, yawning.

"You didn't get to bed until earlier this morning, you mean," Helen corrected with a laugh. "How's my boy."

"Good, Mommy." The boy hugged her legs and then looked up. "Louise!"

Helen knelt down and put the girl on the floor. "So you two do know each other."

"Yup." David beamed. "Angelo brought Louise to see me."

"Good, so will you be happy for her to live here too?"

"You mean it?"

"Absolutely."

"Wow, that's great!" Helen smiled as David hugged the girl before he glanced at her again. "Will she call you 'mommy' as well?"

"She's my auntie," Louise interrupted. "Not my mommy."

"That's right," Helen told her seriously. "But I'm not David's real mommy either; that's just what he calls me because I act like his mommy."

"How come he's here?"

"I got him from the same place I got you, baby. And it's the same as the place he was, too," Helen nodded in the direction of Jarod, who had buried his head under the pillow in an attempt to block out the noise.

"Who is it?"

"I'll show you." David took Louise's hand, pulling her over to the bed. Grabbing Jarod's hand, the boy pulled on it. When that didn't work, he took the pillow and, with a hard tug, pulled it away. The man sat up, grabbed the boy and tickled him until David was shrieking with laughter. Meanwhile, Louise had retreated to where her aunt was sitting, taking refuge in her lap and watching the scene silently.

"Jarod," Helen remarked sternly. "Are you trying to wake the whole house?"

"I'm trying to sleep," he answered, laughing. "If you had better control of your son, I wouldn't need to get revenge for losing my pillow."

"But then I would have missed that scene and it was too much fun," she laughed, standing up and holding out her hand to the boy. "Come on, David. Let's go downstairs and get up some breakfast while Jarod catches up on his much-needed beauty sleep."

"I think," commented the man as he rescued his pillow and lay down. "That I've just been insulted. Again."

# # #


Helen filled the kettle and turned it on before turning to where the girl was eating the last of her pancake.

"Is that nice, baby?"

"Uh huh." Picking up the glass of milk, she sipped it. "Much nicer than what I got there."

"I'm sure it was." She scooped the last spoonful of the melon pulp out of the bowl and fed it to the baby before wiping his face. "Isn't that better, Michael?"

Beaming, the child banged a spoon on the high chair before picking up his baby mug and drinking from it.

"Mommy?"

"What it is, David?"

"Can I take Louise down to play with my train?"

"No, honey, not yet. There’s still people asleep down there, and your train makes a lot of noise. We don't want to wake them up. We'll go into the living room; then you two can read some of your books, okay?"

Louise looked at David with wide eyes. "You have books?"

"Yup. Some of them are mine, and some of them belong to..." he looked at Helen, a small frown on his face. "What was the place called again?"

"You know what it was called. Try to say it, sweetheart."

"Liberry."

"Close, but not quite. Try again."

"Li-b-ra-ry," he finally pronounced, enunciating every letter, and Helen bent down to kiss the top of his head.

"Very good, David."

She took Michael out of his high chair and helped the other two children down to the floor. Filling a mug with hot water and mixing in some coffee, she carried it and the baby into the living room, putting the infant in the playpen that had been set up several days earlier. When the two children were settled into the corner where a number of beanbags were lying, with a pile of books, Helen started the computer and connected to the Centre. Glancing at her watch, Helen grinned, before tapping into the camera of her brother's office, watching him blink drowsily as he raised his head from the desk. A tiny window opened in the corner of her monitor, on which she could see Broots' face.

"Like I said, Helen, that's a nasty black eye."

"I'm just surprised that nobody's been in there to rouse him before now. Although this is the latest he would have slept, I'd have thought someone would have gone in to wake him."

"They thought about it. I've spent the last half hour listening to security but they're all too scared to go in there."

She giggled. "Well, that's his own stupid fault. If they were less scared, they might have already taken an ice pack in there for him."

The technician laughed. "When do you want to call him?"

"After what he said last night, I want Michelle and Nick to be there, so we have to wait until they get up." She watched her brother wince as he gingerly touched the bruised skin around his eye. "Somebody should have been nice and mentioned to him that that would hurt."

"Nearly as much as swimming with a broken leg," a voice behind her commented and Jarod sat next to her on the sofa. "Very impressive. How did he do it?"

"Broots, have you...?"

"I converted the footage and it should be in your inbox already."

"Great, thanks." She sipped her coffee, watching as the head of the Triumvirate rose from his chair and walked into a room to one side. "Is there a camera in the bathroom?"

"Connection 82-B."

"Thanks." She tapped into the camera in time to see the room light up. The man stared at his reflection in horror and she laughed. "The best bit is that he won't be able to remember how it happened."

"Will you clarify the mystery?"

"If he asks, I might be nice enough to tell him, but we'll see."

She watched her brother eye the big bruise that had also begun to develop on his forehead where it had come into contact with the top of the desk and she laughed again as he turned, going back to his office to order an ice pack.

"Do you want Debbie and I to come around or can you manage?"

"I don't know where we'd put you if you did," Helen laughed. "No, stay there but if you can be near the computer, that would be convenient. That way, if we find that we need anything, we can give you a call. I'm going to send a few of this mob home today too, because there really isn't enough space here for an army."

"If you find anything relevant to us..."

"We'll let you know right away, Broots," Jarod finished. "Don't worry."

"Thanks. Have a good day."

"You too."

The window closed and Helen turned to the Pretender. "What happened to the beauty sleep?"

"I decided it wouldn't make enough of a difference," he grinned. "Besides, after all the tantalizing hints that you dropped last night - "

"Early this morning," Helen corrected with a smile.

"Yes, then. After all those hints, I decided I had to see it. Add to that the fact that I was able to smell Pop-tarts and it's a great reason to get up."

"With some people, it's coffee. With you, it's a cake coated in sugar that acts as a wake-up call." Helen rolled her eyes. "I’m impressed the only problem found in that of yours physical was slight anemia."

"I never checked his cholesterol," remarked a laughing voice from behind them, and both people turned. "Perhaps I should have."

"You'd have to reinvent the chart," Helen replied. "Still, Jarod would be one of the best people to have around in order for you to do it."

Sydney put his mug of coffee down on the table and sat in the armchair, his gaze traveling to the screen and eyeing the bruises. "That must be painful."

"It is. He's already unhappy and he hasn't opened any of the drawers yet." Helen looked from the face of her brother to his daughter. "Still, he deserves everything he gets."

"Did you read that folder?"

"No, but I did find out that he was only giving her one meal a day."

Sydney's eyes widened slightly. "One?"

"Breakfast, yes, and it was the same stuff that Jarod was fed." The doctor set her jaw angrily. "It's a wonder she survived to four."

"I survived thirty-three years on that," Jarod protested.

"Not on one meal a day," Helen snapped and Sydney altered the subject to try to restore peace.

"So as well as getting her used to the world..."

"I have to get her used to eating normal food, yes." She sighed. "I also want to run a few tests on her today, but I'll wait for those until I see what material was in that folder."

# # #


"Auntie?"

"Yes, my sweet?"

The girl raised her head so her mouth was near the woman's ear, nodding in the direction of the older man as she spoke. "Who's that?"

"That's Sydney, baby. He's a friend of mine and my aunt."

"Should I call him that, too?"

"Yes, honey. You can call him that."

"Okay." She snuggled down into the woman's lap. "Where's Angelo?"

"I think he's still in bed, Louise."

"Here."

The empath crept around the sofa and Helen laughed. "You're almost as good as Ethan at that." She watched Angelo pick up one of Michael's toys and begin to play with it. "Do you want to play, too, honey?"

"Can I?"

"Yes, sweetheart, of course you can." She let the girl slip down from her lap and sidle over to the corner where David had also begun to play with the toys. "We need to buy her some clothes too.”

"Tomorrow, Helen," Jarod stated softly. "We've got enough things to deal with for today, with all of the material we have to read and also finding a room for her."

"I've been thinking about that. David's room is quite big, but I want them to have a room each, so I was thinking we might split it into two, adding a second door. Luckily there's already two windows, and the dividing wall only needs to be thin, with one layer of insulation."

"Steve and I could knock do all that in a couple of hours, particularly if Dad was helping too, and maybe Sam and Ethan for extra muscle."

"Meanwhile the rest of us can make a start on reading the results of our theft."

"A start is right." Sydney glanced at the bags. "We could be at it for weeks." With another look at the children, he turned to Helen. "What would you do for furniture?"

"I have a cupboard in the attic that's hardly got anything in it and she can have it for her clothes. I also have all my old toys, including dolls and things, that both of them can have if David wants any of them."

"And a bed?"

"The one she slept on last night will do for tonight, too. We can buy her a real one when we go shopping. We might buy one for David, too, if he wants one, because his is intended for an adult, not a child."

"Have you got paint and things too?"

"Actually, yes. I did some work on the house when I bought it and repainted a few rooms about six months ago. As well as that, I've got a lot of sample pots, so you men can add some color to both rooms, if you want."

"Sounds good. As soon as the other wake up, we'll make a start." Jarod gleefully rubbed both his hands together. "I've always like building."

"Well, you can go and do the measuring, and maybe buy some of the materials, because I don't have insulation or timber here, funnily enough," Helen grinned. "And you can work off a little bit of that eagerness by emptying the rooms."

"Do you have a tape measure?"

"I've got a basic building kit in the top drawer of the dresser in the kitchen." Jarod jumped off the sofa before the sentence was finished, and she called the last of it after him as he exited the room, leaving Sydney and Helen laughing.

"The way he's going, it'll all be done before anybody else gets up."

"Who was stirring when you came upstairs?"

"Nobody." Sydney rose from his seat and went over to pick up one of the large backpacks. "Shall we make that start?"

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

Trying not to wince at the pain from his eye, the man swung open the door of the room and went inside. The first thing he noticed was the empty bed; the second was the empty clip on the wall, in which the folder was usually stored. For a moment, the man stared blankly, before kneeling down to look under the bed. As he had expected, it was empty, and he got back to his feet, putting out one hand as he swayed slightly. Muttering under his breath, he left the room, slamming the door. Going into the office of his fellow Triumvirate members, his glare attracted their attention.

"What is it?"

"We were visited last night."

"By whom?"

"Surely you can guess," the man sneered. "I want the two of you two go through Raines' office as well as that of Mr. Parker. It's my belief that they were after the last of the files that weren't either swapped or stolen by my sister. Particularly check those spaces behind the filing cabinets. After what Raines said when she had him high on whatever that drug was, that's probably where they were looking."

"Would they have been in your office as well?"

The man's eyes narrowed and, without answering, he turned on his heel, running down the hall as if the thieves were still there and he could catch them. The other two men in the room left in similar haste, splitting up to enter the offices that were formerly assigned to the two men named. It was only a few moments before they met out in the hallway.

"Well?"

"Clean. Yours?"

"The same. This was thorough."

"Let's get a team in each room to lift prints."

He nodded at the sweeper who was standing behind them and the man went to the elevator. As he called it, the head of the Triumvirate returned.

"Well?"

"They took everything. Every hole, every cupboard, every drawer's been emptied of all the files and test results, including those of our most recent projects. We're going to have to start them all over, yet again."

"And who...?"

"If it wasn't my sister," the redhead growled, "I'll resign my position as head of the Triumvirate."

"Well," remarked one man softly to the other as their boss walked away. "Are you hoping as much as I am that it wasn't her?"

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen finished the file she was reading and leaned forward to put it on the growing pile in front of her, looking up at where Sydney sat opposite her.

"Anything of interest?"

The man never responded and Helen leaned forward. "Sydney? Sydney, what is it? What did you find?"

Reaching further forward, she plucked the folder out of his hands. At the movement, the psychiatrist blinked and then looked up at her. The pain in his eyes was clear.

"Who was it, Sydney? Was it Mr. Parker?"

"Raines," the man responded in a harsh whisper. "At least, his signature was on the forms."

She flipped open the folder and looked through the paperwork, detailing the team to watch at the crash site. Her eyes traveled over the thin lines of the signature on the bottom line of the form and she flipped through the next pages, a look of sadness on her face as she saw the amount of planning that had gone into it. "Now at least you know for sure."

"The man's dead and I can't..."

"And you can imagine how much pain he died in, Sydney. He, like Lyle, must have known what was happening, step by step. He didn't escape unscathed by all of this either." She leaned forward again. "If the accident had happened where it was meant to, you would have been killed, too, and then Jarod would have been handed over to Raines." Helen hesitated. "At least, with it all happening the way it did, it all conspired against that fate for him."

"I never got a chance to repay him."

"Not even by the amount of pain he suffered from the burns after you blew up the oxygen tank? I think that was pretty bad, and he lived through it. Besides, instead of your brother dying a terrible death pinned under a car or shot by one of the sweepers, he was able to die peacefully in a place he loved, with you there to say goodbye."

She watched the first tear escape from his eye and begin to slide down his face as she continued.

"Sydney, now that you know for certain, you can realize it wasn't ever your fault that the accident happened. Yes, definitely be angry with Raines, but don't waste new anger. Take all your guilt from the past thirty years and channel that into your feelings. It'll be better than blaming yourself. It's easier to deal with, too. I think it's reasonable enough to say that you already got your revenge before you even knew it was being aimed at the right person."

"But why?" There was a sense of great incomprehension in his tones.

"To protect himself, and the organization for which he worked, until it killed him. That isn't a good enough reason, but it's the only reason. It won't be enough, but none of the reasons that might be true would be enough to make up for the death of your brother. There are never enough reasons to make up for the death of the people we love, even when they were natural and not caused by somebody else. It's worse when people are deliberately killed, especially if it's just to protect their own backs."

"Like Eddie was," Sydney stated softly, his eyes fixed on the baby.

"Yes, exactly. The situations are identical, except that you were able to make the rest of Jacob's life, after the accident, as good as it could be, and you were able to say goodbye, knowing that he knew you were there and that you loved him."

"Eddie knew that, too."

"But I was never able to tell him. I never wanted to, in case he took it as meaning more than it did. It doesn't matter to him, of course, because he knew how much his wife loved him, so I wasn't as important, but it would have eased some of my pain. Instead I had to find ways of dealing with it myself. You don't have a reason for that regret. Now that you know the accident wasn't your fault, you haven't got anything to reproach yourself for."

He nodded slowly, focusing on his face. "Does Sam know about Eddie?"

"Yes, we talked about it on the night after the treatment worked."

"And does he understand?"

"He understands my pain because of how well he understands me, but he never knew Eddie, so he doesn't know the way he thought or what kind of a person he was. Still, Sam's helping me with my last regrets." She smiled. "And I know of at least one person who could help you with yours."

"Oh, really?" Sydney eyed her, suppressing the urge to return her smile. "And who might it be?"

# # #


"Helen?"

The woman's head snapped up from the folder, hearing the excited tones in the man's voice.

"What is it, Broots?"

"Have you been watching your brother?"

"No, we've been a little busy." She glanced up at Miss Parker, who was sitting in a chair opposite, and grinned. "Why?"

"Because I suspect that, if you humiliate your brother in the way Ethan suggested, it might be enough to turn his fellow Triumvirate members against him."

"Really?" Helen leaned back against the sofa. "Well, when we add that to a thing I've just found, we could make life very interesting indeed."

"And that is?"

Picking up a sheet of paper, she waved it at the laptop. "A list of people who had shown interest in buying a lot of Centre property, and the bid they put it. Oh, yes," she added with a small smile, "and the property deeds themselves."

The technician began to laugh. "You're going to contact those groups and sell off all the property, aren't you?"

"Now what makes you think that?" Helen widened her eyes in mock-innocence. "That would be a horrible thing to do!"

"And that's precisely why you'll enjoy it so much." He grinned. "Of course, I'll just assume that you won't share the profits with your brother."

"Assumptions are dangerous."

"So you said to your brother. Has everybody else seen that yet?"

"No, there's still two people asleep. I'm going to have a grand show when they're up."

"Now that will be fun."

"Absolutely. I'll let you know when we do it. In the meantime, say hi to Debbie for me."

# # #


"This could be very useful," Miss Parker remarked as the connection with the people in Vermont was cut, and Helen looked over.

"What could?"

"Bank details for the Centre's accounts."

"Good, I was hoping to find those."

"You have a plan?" Miss Parker raised an eyebrow, crossing her legs and grinning. "I wait, with patient eagerness."

"I'll get Steve, Jarod and Broots to redirect them into a large number of accounts, with only a very small amount in each, so that the Centre can never find them all, thus removing any chance they have of getting them all back."

"And who will have access to these accounts?"

"All of us, of course." Helen shrugged. "It seems like a good form of reparation."

"So the Centre will be down to just the main building?"

"Exactly." She grinned. "I don't think my brother will be too happy about that."

"You're underestimating him again," commented Michelle, as she walked into the room. "But I agree with you."

"How's Sydney?"

"He's all right. Right now he's playing with the boys."

Helen looked down at the child who was asleep beside her. "I think David may be disappointed to find that girls don't like trains as much as boys do."

"Well, when Michael's a little older..."

"Don't suggest it." Helen rolled her eyes. "Let me deal with them as they are first."

Michelle laughed. "You haven't started to think about the future at all?"

"Not until it's guaranteed that we all have one."

# # #


"Bank accounts are set up." Jarod looked up with a grin. "Anything else?"

"No, you can go back to reconstructing my house, if you want to," Helen laughed, watching as he and Steve quickly made their way up the stairs again. When the loud banging started in the room overhead, the child awoke with a start, clinging to the woman.

"What is it?"

"It's okay, baby," Helen soothed, gently taking the girl in her arms. "They're doing a bit of building upstairs and it's making a lot of noise, that's all."

"What are they building?"

"They're making a room all for you, my darling, where you can have your own big cupboard full of new clothes that I'm going to buy for you tomorrow, and a bed for you to sleep in every night..."

"Is it near you, Auntie?"

"It's the very next room, sweetheart, and I'll know if you want me."

"Can I see it?"

"Not, yet, honey, because it's not finished, but when it is, then we'll go up."

"And will David be close, too?"

"He'll be on the other side of you, Louise. We're putting a wall into the room where he sleeps now so that you've got a room each, but you'll be very close."

"Good." The girl nestled into the woman's lap. "What are you doing?"

"We're looking through the papers that we brought with us last night, from where you were, baby."

The girl glanced at the computer and then froze, her eyes fixed on the screen, as she started to whimper. Helen glanced at Miss Parker, who put the lid down and moved the machine away.

"It's all right, Louise." The woman began to stroke the girl's hair, holding her lovingly. "He's a long way away and he won't find you here, not while you're with me. He can't hurt you now."

Tears appeared in the child's eyes as she buried her face in the woman's shoulder, sobbing softly in terror. "I don't like him. He hurts me and he yells at me..."

"It's okay, baby." Helen rocked her gently. "He can't do any of that ever again, and I promise you that I won't do it."

"Do I have to go back there?"

"No, darling, you can stay here with me and you don't have to go back there ever again."

"He scares me." The child's voice was a faint whisper as she pressed her face against Helen's neck, gradually quieter.

"I know he does, baby, but I won't let him near you again. We'll keep you safe from him, and that place." She gently eased the girl away and looked down at her with a smile. "Do you believe me, sweetheart?"

"Uh huh." Sniffing, the girl scrubbed her eyes on the gray material in which she was still dressed and leaned against her aunt. "You took me away."

"Exactly, Louise, and I'll do my best to always take you away from all bad situations, if I can." She gently brushed the girl's hair away from her face, leaning down to kiss her gently, and feeling the child's lips touch her cheek in return. "Don't worry about him anymore, my darling. Instead, I want you to think about learning all the good things we're going to teach you."

"P… promise?"

"It's a solemn promise, sweetheart. Try to forget about him and instead concentrate on having fun with David and Michael..."

"And Angelo?"

"Yes, and Steve, and Sam, too. And you can come to me for a hug, or if you're hungry, or if you just want to talk, okay?"

"Uh huh." The child looked up. "And can I watch you cook, too, like David said you do a lot?"

"You sure can, baby. And you can help me with it, too. Won't that be nice?"

"Yes." The word was still a whisper, but the tones were happier as the girl put her head down on the woman's shoulder once more.

# # #


"We're heading off now, Helen."

"Who's we?" She looked up with a grin. "How many of my hired builders are you absconding with, Charles?"

"Oh, they're getting paid?"

"I'm feeding them and putting a roof over their heads. That should be enough."

The man laughed. "I'm taking Ethan and his sister back with me. She told me you gave her a pile of things to look through."

"We looked through some of the folders and the material she has relates to all your family, except for a few things that are more to do with Jarod."

"He said he was going to stay for a few days."

She nodded. "Good. I suspect that there could be some issues that’ll need to be worked through, and I think he and Sydney will be the best for that."

"Where's Sam's mother?"

"She went back home the day I got better, and right now she's packing. Sam got a small apartment for her, a few blocks away, and she's moving there in a couple of days so the Centre doesn't know where she is. Your son can help with that as well."

"Sydney and the others?"

"They'll stay for a few days, but they're also going to try and find somewhere apart from Albany to live, at least for Sydney and Michelle. Nicholas can go back to his work at some stage."

"You've really been organizing things, haven't you?"

"Well," she shrugged with a smile. "I've been trying to. Besides, having this house splitting at the seams is not good for the cost of my food bills."

"And that," he commented drily, with a laugh, "is the reason that you added another child to the family of course."

"Naturally." Helen laughed. "Besides, Sam and I always said that we wanted kids."

Jarod's father kissed her cheek. "I think it's lovely that you're giving all these children a new start at life."

"All they need is a stable, loving environment and they'll grow up on their own."

"They'll certainly get that from you." He hugged her. "We'll call you if we find anything of interest to any of you."

"And I'll let you know before we call my brother so that you can be entertained."

He laughed. "You'd better. That's something we're all looking forward to."

# # #


"It's quiet," Sydney commented as he came into the living room.

"I think they're up to the painting stage upstairs." She smiled down at the little girl in her lap, who looked up with an answering smile before continuing to read. "How's it all going downstairs?"

"They're having a lot of fun," he smiled, sitting on the chair opposite her. "Found anything useful?"

"Oh, a couple of things." She grinned. "I hope you weren't intending to go back to Angel Manor at any point, because you'll be trespassing if you do."

"So you sold it?"

"That and the Biodome, yes. Another group is considering the bid for the LaGrange airstrip, and may also take the Dragon House."

"Your brother is going to hate you."

"He already does." Her eyes danced. "Didn't you hear what he said last night?"

"And the accounts?"

"The Centre is now penniless. All they have left are their last few assets - and that'll be even more depleted before they find out about it."

"What will they have left?"

"Just the Centre itself - all twenty-seven sublevels. Of course, if they sell that and use the money for the projects then they've got nowhere to do them. If they keep the buildings, then they've got no money for the projects." She grinned. "I was always fond of vicious circles."

"And the wrong results?"

"They were sent off to the corporations this morning." She laughed. "Somehow I doubt the Centre will be a popular organization for a long time to come."

"How will we get work when this is over?"

"Sydney, don't you think you're getting beyond the stage of working?” she suggested. “I don’t want to be rude or anything, but I do see retirement looming on the not-so-distant horizon."

He laughed softly. "Well, that might be okay for me, but what about the others?"

"You don't think Broots would be able to get a job working for just about any large company? And I'm sure Miss Parker could find something to interest her."

"Has Steve begun to think of anything like that?"

"He's finding chemistry and working with chemicals something that he really enjoys doing, so we'll see what we can find for him in that field, maybe research scientist. Jarod said earlier that he might have an idea for a place where Steve could work."

"And what will they do for references?"

"What, we can't make them up? I'll vouch for Steve, and maybe you could do the same for Jarod if he decides that he wants to settle down to one thing, instead of moving around all the time."

"Has Steve thought about his family?"

"I think he's beginning to, although he hasn't said anything to me yet. I also think he's hoping to find something relating to him among this." Helen indicated all the bags with a wave of her hand.

"And is there anything?"

"Not as far as I've seen so far. Angelo gave me his file and that might have been everything, except for the DSAs that I've already found on the mainframe."

"And what will we do for money until these wonderful jobs materialize?"

Helen smirked. "Tomorrow, there will be a lot of shiny new bankcards delivered to this house, Connecticut and Vermont relating to all the accounts we set up. If any of them ever fall below a certain level, they'll automatically be topped up from the account into which the corporations are depositing the money they're paying for all of the Centre's ex-assets."

Sydney chuckled. "You've really done that thoroughly."

"I had expert help." She grinned. "It only took Jarod, Steve and Broots half an hour to arrange it all."

"And when will you call your brother?"

"As soon as the last sale goes through, unless dinner needs to be made first."

"Is that automatic, too?"

"Dinner?" she suggested innocently.

He tried not to laugh, glaring at her. "You know what I mean, Helen."

"When they make the decision, they pay money into an account, I fax off a copy of the property deeds and then a courier picks them up and takes them away."

"Which courier?"

"Well, Charles took several with him when he left, to be dropped off at the courier offices on the way, and I'll do the same with the others whenever the final details come through." The computer on the table beeped and Helen glanced at it with a smile.

"As they just did." Gently she raised Louise's head off her knee and went over to the fax machine that had been set up on a table against the wall. Taking up a file, she extracted several sheets of paper and put in a number, feeding the material into the machine. When it was sent, she slipped it into an envelope and sealed it, dropping it on the table in front of Sydney.

"Well, that's it. The last asset of the Centre has now been sold off - except, as I said, for the main building complex - and it's gone from a financial powerhouse to such a small-time organization that not even NuGenesis would help them, if they were in a position to help anybody."

The psychiatrist stared at her for a moment before laughing. "You cleared out all of the accounts of NuGenesis as well?"

"I didn't mention that?" Helen tried to look innocent and Sydney rolled his eyes.

"You've been trying the innocent act for long enough, Helen. Come up with a new idea."

"You haven't even known me for that long, Sydney. You should ask Nick one day how long I've been trying it on him for."

"Too long," the young man commented as he entered the room. "I agree with Dad. Come up with something new."

"It's a habit now," she laughed. "And I was never good at breaking those."

"I always got into trouble when I broke something," a small voice interrupted.

"No, baby." She looked down at the girl with a smile. "Breaking a habit is different and it's not bad to break those."

"What's a habit?"

"Something you do the same way for a long time. Some habits are bad, like when you drink a lot of alcohol or smoke cigarettes..."

"Or annoy people by attempting to sound innocent," her cousin grinned. "This is a good time for you to set an example to your children by not doing it anymore."

"I'll think about it." She got to her feet. "In the meantime, if either of you want food tonight, you'd better stop nagging and let me make it."

"That's blackmail," Sydney protested, his eyes twinkling with laughter.

"Correct." The doctor swung the girl up into her arms. "And I'm good at that."

# # #


"This is empty, auntie."

Helen looked around from stirring a pot. "The salt? Do you want to fill it for me?"

"Can I?"

"I'd be glad if you do. Go into the pantry and you'll see a white box with a blue stripe on it. Carry it carefully over to the table."

The girl retrieved the box and gently put it down before looking at her aunt. "Now what?"

"Now open the box and slowly pour the salt into the shaker."

"How much?"

"Until it's almost full."

Helen watched the girl pouring the white crystals into the glass container, stopping just before the container was full and righting the box.

"That was very good, sweetie. You're a big help."

The girl beamed. "I like helping you."

"And you're very good at obeying instructions." Moving the pot off the heat, Helen gave the girl a hug before helping her to put the top on and return the box to the pantry.

"What can I do now?"

"Do you remember all the things I told you about cutlery?"

"Uh huh. Knives and forks and spoons."

"Well, do you want to set the table? Michael's plastic cutlery is on top of the other things and you can put that on his high chair." Helen smiled, watching the girl try to reach the drawer. "Did you remember about the stool that's in the corner?"

"Oh, right." The child pushed the round object over and stood on it. "How many of each do we need?"

"Nine of each thing and also Michael's set. Get all of the knives, then the forks..."

"And then the spoons?"

"That's right. Very good."

"And should I set them out like you showed me at lunchtime as well?"

"Do you think you can remember?"

The girl paused for a moment. "Knife on the right and the fork goes on the left."

"And where does the spoon go?"

"On the top." She looked up at the woman doubtfully. "Is that right?"

"Absolutely correct." Helen smiled. "That's very good, honey."

With a smile, the girl rummaged through the drawer for a moment before carrying the first handful of shining silver over to the table. Going to the each seat, she put a knife at the right hand making sure that all the blades faced inwards as she had been taught during the earlier meal.

"Mommy?"

"What is it, David?"

"I haven't seen Jarod or Steve or Sam or Nicholas nearly all day. Where are they?"

"They're doing some work upstairs, sweetheart, so both you and Louise will have a room to sleep in tonight."

"Can we see it?"

"No, baby, not yet. We have to wait for all the paint to dry, so we'll go up later to see what they've been doing."

"Is that why the doors were all shut but when we went out to play ball with Angelo the windows were open?"

"Exactly, David. The paint will dry faster by having air moving in the room all the time."

"But isn't it too cold?"

"Hmm, good point." She looked down at him thoughtfully. "Why don’t you test Jarod's brain with that question? Mine's not that good."

"Are you admitting that I'm smarter than you?"

The voice from the doorway made Helen roll her eyes. "I admit nothing. I just don't feel like having my mind overtaxed with questions of an incredibly intelligent child when I'm also trying to cook."

The Pretender grinned. "So you can't do more than one thing at a time?"

"Not if one of those things could potentially become dangerous when I don't give it my complete concentration." She grinned at him. "Also, if I get distracted, I may never finish cooking this, and you'll have to starve."

"Not at all,” he grinned. “I'd eat..."

"We ran out of pop tarts yesterday morning," she reminded him. "I told you, you'd starve."
Part 26 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 26



Ashe, New York
Helen watched as the three men settled themselves around the table and, with a grin, nodded. In less than a minute, she saw a technician burst into the room.

"Well?" Her brother's voice was cold and made the intruder stop short. "What do you want?"

"P... please sir, I'm sorry to interrupt but..."

"But what?"

"We've got a call."

The second Triumvirate member jumped to his feet, staring at the man. "What do you mean by that? Is the blockade lifted?"

"N... no, sir, not as far as we've been able to tell, but somehow a call's got through and the person asked to speak to you." The technician trembled as he turned back to his boss, who also stood up, turning to glare at the camera that was mounted on the wall before he turned back to the man.

"Put it through to this room. We'll watch it on the screen."

"And… the phone...?"

"I wouldn't worry," the man sneered. "I've no doubt that she can hear everything we say."

"Sh… she? No, sir, it was a man."

"Do you know this man?"

"Y…yes, sir. It was Mr. B… Broots."

"Fine. Bring in the receiver and put it through."

He resumed his seat and watched as the screen was revealed behind the panels of the wall. After a moment, the figure appeared on the screen, and Helen was able to hear him curse.

"Really, big brother." She spoke laughingly. "You should set your little sister a far better example."

"It's good to see you up and about," he snarled. "Who helped you with that?"

"A large number of people," she replied, lips twitching. "But you saw me last night and didn't say anything about it then."

He narrowed his eyes. "I don't know what you're talking about, Helen."

"Oh, really? I'm glad to hear it. It means my gas is as effective as Eddie and I had thought it was when we made it. But we had a lovely discussion last night, or rather early this morning, before you got that horribly painful-looking black eye. Does it hurt?"

Her tones were politely mocking, and his were sneering in response.

"Only as much as yours."

"Oh, mine's a lot better, but then I didn't fall face-down on my keyboard." Able to hear the choked laughter, she glanced over at Jarod, who was red-faced, silently writhing in his chair.

"What do you want?" he snarled.

"You mean I’m not allowed to call up to find out how my big brother is? What a disappointment." Helen leaned back against the sofa. "Actually, I have somebody who's rather keen to talk to you."

"It wouldn't be Louise, would it?" the man snapped.

"No. Your daughter never wants to see you again. I'd show her to you, but, if I did, she might go into hysterics from fear, and although that’d probably give you as much pleasure as seeing her cowering in the corner of SL-2518 probably did every morning, I wouldn't enjoy it, and nor would anyone else here."

She caught the glances that were passing between the other men and raised one eyebrow. "You did mention to the others in that distinguished band of the fact that you've been keeping your own daughter down on SL-25 since she was born, four years ago, after which event you had Louise's mother killed when she spurned you and then you tried to 'manufacture' a pretender out of a child who never had even the genetic predisposition for it, and when it failed, you planned to wipe her mind, like you did with Angelo, and were readying her for it by feeding her on only one meal a day and standing guard while she ate it, so she wouldn't even be able to enjoy it." Helen inhaled and continued. "You had mentioned those facts to the men sitting on either side of you, hadn't you? If I've revealed any big secret I do most humbly apologize," she sneered, sounding so eerily like her brother that Sydney shot a sharp glance in her direction.

"So who is this mysterious person?" her brother demanded, ignoring all this.

Michelle sat down on the sofa beside Helen so she was visible on the screen in the boardroom, and the doctor watched the man freeze.

"I'm certain you know who this is. You certainly mentioned her a number of times during that nice conversation I talked about earlier, and you even named your daughter in honor of the aunt who was thrown out of the Centre, and whose life was put in danger, just because she fell in love with one of the other employees."

Nicholas also moved into camera shot, sitting on Helen's other side.

"And you'll know this person, too,” the doctor continued. “Our cousin whom you ordered abducted by a band in the Appalachians, and all of whom were then massacred by the group of sweepers headed by the late Mr. Lyle, simply to get Jarod back. Oh, and in case you were wondering, yes, Jarod is here. He was one of several people, including Steven, who were able to undo the drug treatment that you mentioned earlier."

The man regained enough self-control to be able to speak and forced a note of arrogance into his voice. "So where's Angelo?"

"Right now, he's probably playing with Michael and some of the new toys that we bought for him after bringing him back here, or he might be down with David; I'm not all that sure. You see," she smirked, "I don't feel the need to know the location of those who seek shelter from the Centre in my house at all times."

"So you wouldn't know where Sam might be either?"

"Oh, no. That's a different circumstance. I like knowing where my fiancée is." She laughed. "You should have paid more attention to the things Peter was telling you about that list of people who were invited to s graduation dance in Minnesota, fifteen years ago. Of course, now he's dead, it's a little late to ask him for details. You know," Helen continued conversationally, "I really hope the people in the Tech Room aren't also watching this, because it’d be really awful if they were and I let slip about Peter's death, and, of course, that of the man you shot in the back, when he was in your office a couple of days ago… Oops." One hand covering her mouth, she hid a smile. "I think that was too much information, wasn't it?"

"So what else do you want?" her brother spat.

"Well, I thought you might like to see that conversation that I mentioned a while ago, so I'll ask the person who's making this conversation a possibility to run the tape."

Helen watched the lights in the boardroom dramatically lower and the layout of the screen alter, the image of the three people on the sofa shrinking to a small box and rising to the upper left-hand corner of the screen as the rest of the screen was filled with the security camera footage from earlier that morning. As she watched herself give the final direction, Helen looked at the man in time to see him flinch, one hand rising to his eye before he forced it down. The looks she shot at the other men showed them wearing expressions of bemusement.

"In case you were wondering, your assumption about me was correct. I do muck around with chemicals quite a bit. But you ought to have recognized that one. After all, it was one that Eddie was instructed to create. You do remember Eddie, don't you? He was a pretender, too, like Jarod, and escaped with him. Then, when you wanted to get him out of the way," Helen swallowed hard, refusing to look at other people in the room, "you organized for Alex's release from Africa and had him transported to America so he could kill Eddie and try to kill Jarod."

Helen could see Jarod staring at her in horror from his armchair, but continued.

"After all, you didn't feel that either Jarod or Eddie could be useful to you anymore. You had your clones, and it was always possible to make more, even if they were continually taken away from you. It's such a pity that people keep stealing all of your projects. But don't worry. I’ve made sure that those results due to be given to various organizations were handed over today. They're quite happy, needless to state, and happily paid the money into the bank accounts I gave them the details for. Naturally they aren't your accounts, but then neither are the results yours. Like those you found in both Mr. Parker and Mr. Raines' offices, the discrepancies, as you put it so nicely, big brother, are tiny, but big enough to cause major problems if you'd relied on them, as they will do."

"What are you trying to do, Helen? Destroy us?"

"Oh, I'm not trying." Her voice became cool and she leaned forward. "I'm succeeding. The Centre is now nothing. Thanks to all your help last night, I made a number of advantageous deals today and several groups are very pleased with their new purchases, including LaGrange airstrip, Angel Manor, Dragon House - need I go on?"

"We'll buy them back," muttered her brother and she smiled sweetly.

"Well, you could if there was any money left in any of the Centre's accounts, but I'm afraid that somebody cleared them out and shut them down today, spreading the funds around so that they can benefit people who have suffered at the hands of the Centre for so many years - people like Jarod and his family or Miss Parker and her real father. In fact the only thing that the Centre has is the building you're sitting in right now. Of course, that has quite a lot of value, but sell it and all you'll have left is the money. With no trust from any of your former partners as thanks to the many problems caused by my information, you won't get any aid to rebuild, and neither will anyone give you anything to do. Even if they did, there's nobody left to do it all for you."

She saw her brother's eyes brighten as he muttered the name of the fertility clinic in Atlanta under his breath and Helen laughed.

"NuGenesis? No, I'm afraid they won't help you either, being just as broke as the Centre itself. As well as that, considering that Dr. DeWitt was just taken into custody by the police, who are wanting to question her about aiding and abetting in a number of abductions, I don't think they would want to help you even if they could."

"The police?" One of the other men turned pale, looking around with obvious nervousness. His fellow Triumvirate member reached out a hand to stop the man from jumping to his feet.

"They can't get in, don't worry. The blockade, remember?"

"You fool!" His boss glared at him. "Not only can they hear every word we say, but they're the ones who set the blockade up. They can tear it down when they want to."

"And we just did," Helen responded, smiling. "Actually, that's not quite true. From the moment that technician entered the room, the blockade was lifted but, as he shut the door, it was locked after him. The police have lists of those who'll be able to answer any questions for them and will let the many other poor, innocent people who have been trapped inside that building, with my murdering big brother, for the last few days, go home to their families. As for you three," she shrugged with a small smile on her face. "Tragically, in a moment or two, the door will open and you will be taken away to the nice, hard beds - like the one that your daughter's been sleeping on for four years - in the cold cells - like the rooms that Jarod, Kyle and Angelo had for decades - where you'll probably spend the rest of your miserable lives."

She leaned back against the sofa cushion. "Oh, and big brother, don't worry about all that money you've been hiding away at your house, and in all of your bank accounts in different countries all over the world. I’ve made sure your will was up to date and, the first day after your execution, I'll start putting it to good use. This house may be a little small to take care of all of your victims who need it but I'm sure all the sublevels of that building in Blue Cove will do just fine." Helen smiled. "Let them in, Broots."

The door slammed back against the wall and a group of ten men quickly entered, weapons at the ready. Two of the Triumvirate tentatively lifted their hands but the third glowered at the woman on the screen, his hands remaining flat on the table in front of him.

"Very clever, little sister. Maybe I do have reason to be jealous of you after all."

"You always have had, big brother,” Helen responded calmly. “I promise that, ‘though my childhood wasn't quite as perfect as you imagined it might have been, the life I've made for myself since then has given you plenty of reason to be jealous." She smiled. "And now, at least, I do still have a life to look forward to. With all of the DSA footage that the right people can view on the disks Jarod handed over to the police, as well as all the information on the old mainframe that can be accessed using the codes I gave to the man standing in front of you, I wouldn't bother making a Christmas list if I were you."

Helen's smile widened and the man she had mentioned moved up behind her brother.

"All right, let's get moving, shall we? We've got rights to be read and prison cells to be filled." He looked up at the screen with a smile. "Thank you, Helen."

"You're welcome, sir. Do come by in a day or two so I can give you all other relevant information, won't you?"

"I'll be looking forward to it, and then I can meet your fiancée and children."

She met Sam's eye and tried not to giggle at the astonished look on his face. "I'm sorry you have such a busy night ahead of you."

"Not at all. I've been looking forward to this. Have a good night, all of you."

With a nod to another of his men, the former Triumvirate were read their rights and had cuffs clipped onto their wrists. Helen nodded again and immediately the screen of the computer faded to black, replaced by the people in Vermont and Connecticut.

"Very good work, Broots. It went off without a hitch."

"It was a lot of fun," he smiled. "I've never seen such stunned faces."

"Theirs or those of my aunt and cousin?" She laughed. "Is everybody still alive or did you all die of shock?"

Sydney turned and stared at her. "Why didn't you...?"

"Tell us?" Michelle finished for him and Helen laughed again.

"I thought a surprise might be nice. Besides, I couldn't guarantee that it would go as well as it did and I didn't want to raise anybody's expectations needlessly. My own and Broots' were enough."

"It went very well," the technician commented. "And all with only a short afternoon of planning."

"Well, they've had their eye on the place for a while - since the anniversary of Thomas' murder, in fact."

"They have?" Helen could see Miss Parker straighten in her seat. "Why?"

"Simple." She smiled slightly bitterly. "I told them. As soon as I'd left the rumor file on your mantel, I went and reported to them."

"You...?"

"Yes, Miss Parker." Helen smiled. "Angelo gave it to me and we felt it was the most appropriate time, considering that you were trying to find out who it was."

"And this was another thing you just happened not to mention before now," Jarod remarked in heavily sarcastic tones.

"If Miss Parker had been unwilling to trust me when she woke up after we got her from her house, I would have told her then. She did trust me, so I didn't bother, because I thought it might be more appropriate later." She smiled. "I think it was."

"So was that all part of your plan?"

"To a certain extent, yes."

Miss Parker narrowed her eyes. "What did you mean about 'my real father'?"

"You already know, Miss Parker. Jarod provided you with that piece of information as soon as he escaped, or almost."

"You mean...Ben..."

"If he wasn't, I wouldn't have arranged for him to be standing behind your chair at this moment, would I?"

As Miss Parker turned in surprise, Sydney fixed his gaze on the woman. "Just how long have you known that for?"

"Ever since Angelo dropped the first hint about it to Jarod. He also told me." She smiled. "As you once said to me, Sydney, I know an awful lot."

"And you said it wasn't hard."

"With Angelo telling me so much, it certainly isn't." She turned to Jarod. "Although you were right with what you said in the car, I've also been trying to make the life of Miss Parker better as well."

"Because of her connection to my mother?"

"Yes." She smiled, reaching out for her coffee. "But in addition to all that, I was also trying to find a way that, the moment the blockade was lifted, our lives wouldn't be in danger. The one thing I could come up with was to get those responsible arrested. I’d had the thought before, but without knowing everything it seemed too premature. This worked well."

"And what about us?"

"There was enough information, even in just the few files I showed to the police, to convince them that all of you are victims just as much as the children. It might happen that they could call on you for evidence in the trials but there's no need for any of you to give it, if you don't want to. Besides, all of this new information, when added to the DSAs and mainframe, will be more than enough."

"And your brother...?"

"If he escapes the death penalty, he'll definitely spend a very long time in jail. As I understand it, a number of other states also want to get their legal claws into him so I don't think he's going to see too much of the outside world between now and whenever his life ends."

Sydney looked over as the children came into the room, David scrambling up into Sam's lap and Louise snuggling into her aunt's arms.

"Thus his punishment is of the same order that had Broots and I locked in underground rooms."

"Well, it's certainly appropriate, isn't it?" She caught Jarod's eye. "I've always had a fond affection for the old 'an eye for an eye' motto; making the punishment fit the crime, you know."

"So now what?" Margaret asked.

Helen shrugged. "Whatever you want. Those people who have been hunting for us are now either dead or in custody, so..."

"Cox?"

"Broots, can you play that footage please?"

"It's...um..." the technician began awkwardly, but Helen jumped in.

"Oh, right." She looked down at the girl in her lap. "Sweetie, I want you and David to go into the kitchen and put some of the fruit from the bowl onto a plate. Bring it in here when you've done that, with a few knives and the peeler from the drawer, okay?"

"Yup." The girl climbed down and, joined by the boy, went into the other room. As soon as they were gone, Broots started up the footage, and the people in all three houses watched as Helen's brother walked into Cox’s office and shot the man in the head from behind.

"That’s the way my brother took out his anger at finding out that Louise and all of his files were gone. As I said, they're all either dead or in custody. We are now the only people who know what Jarod, Steve and the others are capable of, what was done to Angelo and about the fact that Jon and Michael are the very things the scientific community is debating so heatedly. If any of those men try to tell anyone, they'll either be laughed to scorn or considered insane." Helen paused, a small smile curling her lips. "Or possibly both."

"And what was that you said to your brother about money?"

Helen smiled, raising Louise back onto her lap once the child had put the bowl down on the table and people had begun helping themselves. "I had Broots look for all his finances earlier. As well as finding his bank details, we were also able to find out the name of his lawyer. It happens to be somebody that I know quite well and he let me 'accidentally' see my brother's will and I 'liberated' it." She caught Emily's eye and smiled. "Several hours later, I went back to pick up the purse that I'd left by accident in his office, and, with the help of an expert forger," Helen met Jarod's knowing look with a grin, "I 'accidentally' replaced the will with a new one, that leaves his substantial funds in four equal share to his surviving relatives after his death."

"And the Centre?"

"It’s now mine. I purchased it today, and the same forger who helped me with my brother's new will also created a nice, new property deed."

"So you're the next head of the Triumvirate?" Charles laughed. "Will you begin to threaten us all right away, or wait for a few days until we adjust?"

"Well, first I have to select the other members of my Triumvirate," she laughed. "I think it could be a few days before I'm able to sink - sorry, rise - to the levels that my predecessors reached."

"And will you use it for what you said?"

Helen shrugged. "It's a large, well-built structure that could be useful. I'm tempted to hire out the levels of it to different groups and to publish the accurate material that has been uncovered over the years. After all, as I said to Jarod before this whole thing took off, some of the projects have the ability to do things like cure some cancers. It would be good if the world could be told about them."

"And that, of course, would mean that nobody could claim money for them."

"Precisely. It might be better not to reveal some of it - like those that might have ethicists coming down on our heads - but other things would certainly be good."

"Oh, so we've finally found a stage that you haven't planned for," teased Ethan.

"I only plan for the immediate future," Helen told him laughingly, "not the future that depends on other people and is so far away."

"Well, we have something in the immediate future to show you," Jarod put in with a smile, cutting the connection and closing the computer. "I think it's time for these children to see their rooms."

"Oh, please!" David began to bounce on Sam's knee and the sweeper laughed.

"Are you a bit excited, baby?"

"Yup." He hugged the man around the neck. "I like surprises."

"Like your train?" Helen smiled. "Okay, but you have to shut your eyes until Sam tells you to open them."

"Is Louise coming, too?"

"Of course." Helen stood up and looked down at the little girl. "Close your eyes, sweetie, so it's a surprise for you, too."

As the girl obediently shut her eyes, holding tightly around her aunt's neck, the group went up the stairs. Helen moved to the old door and Sam stood in front of the new one. Both people opened the doors at the same moment and Helen smiled as she glanced around before looking down at her niece.

"Go ahead, sweetheart. You can look now."

The girl opened her eyes and looked around, a gasp coming from her mouth as she stared at the room. In one corner stood a large wardrobe that had formerly been in the attic, now painted white, with fairies peeping around the sides and up from beneath it, painted in silver and gold. A large, white box stood in the other corner, the lid open and toys overflowing onto the floor. The girl's bed from the night before occupied the other corner and it, too, had a number of dolls lying on it. The wall had a frieze of fairies, the same as those on the wardrobe, and as the ones that Helen could also see peeping around the sides of the toy chest. A bookcase stood against the wall between the chest and cupboard, and one shelf contained a number of books that Helen could recognize from her childhood and which had been in the attic for many years. Finally she looked back at the girl in her arms.

"What do you think, baby?"

The child’s eyes were wide as she looked up. "Who's it for, Auntie?"

"It's your new room, sweetie, all for you. I promised you a room, remember?" She glanced at Jarod. "Although I wasn't quite expecting this."

Gently she lowered the child to the floor, watching as she hesitated for a moment before running over to the toy-box and beginning to pull out some of the toys in it.

"Are you complaining about our decoration?"

"Complaining?" Helen looked up at him in mock-indignation. "Do I sound as if I'm complaining?" She glanced around the room. "I love it, Jarod. Thank you. I know she loves it, too."

"You're welcome." He smiled. "Are you going to go in and see David's as well?"

"If the change is as dramatic as here, I'm not sure I can cope."

"Oh, I'll catch you as you faint, if Sam doesn't."

She laughed. "Alright, I suppose I can trust at least one of you."

"Are you going to specify which one?"

"No, because if I do then you might be insulted again." She walked over to the little girl. "What do you think, darling?"

"I love it." She hugged the woman around the neck.

"Well, when we buy you a nice, new bed tomorrow and some lovely clothes, it'll be just perfect." Helen kissed her niece. "Shall we go in and see David's room too?"

"I can come back to this one, right?"

"My baby, you can come to this room any time. You can sleep here every night, and play in here all day, if you want to."

The girl looked at the ceiling and giggled. "I think it's always night in here."

Helen looked up also and laughed. "It might be, you could be right."

Her eyes ran from the dark blue ceiling, dotted with silver stars, to where the blue began fading to a paler blue and then pink with which the walls were covered, making it seem as if a colorful sunrise was taking place in the room.

"Mommy!"

"All right, David. We're coming." She picked up Louise as the girl lifted her arms and then carried her into the other room, stopping in the doorway and letting the girl slip down to the floor. "I think," she remarked, trying to hide a smile, "that you picked the right theme for this room."

Sam came over and slipped his arms around her waist. "It wasn't all that hard."

"No, I'll bet." She eyed the mural of the train on the wall and the bed-head cut out in the shape of a train's engine. "You'd better hope that this isn't just a phase."

"We can always redo it. The mural isn't painted onto the wall," Jarod remarked. "It was done on a large piece of synthetic fabric and attached with static electricity, so it can be taken off very easily.

"What it is to be a genius!" Helen rolled her eyes and he laughed.

"Actually that was your fiancé's idea." He grinned. "And the bed-head isn't bolted on to the bed itself. It's just standing in place, in case you do buy a child's bed for him, as you suggested earlier that you might."

"I do want to. A bed as hard as that isn't good for a child's back." She glanced at the bookcase in the room, seeing the books that she had purchased for the boy and several others that she didn't recognize. "What are they?"

"They're some of mine. I went over to help Mom do some packing earlier and she handed them to me to give David." Sam lowered his voice to a whisper. "She gave me a certain rug, as well."

"And how does it look?"

"I haven't put it there yet, but we can see," Sam smiled, as David came over and grabbed Helen's hand, pulling her over to a chest of toys that stood in the corner, as one did in Louise's room, and in which Helen could see several toys from her childhood. Sitting down, and taking Louise on her lap, Helen glanced at her aunt.

"You know, it's funny but I'm sure these weren't being stored in this house."

Michelle smiled. "I think you're right. Nick went back to Albany briefly to pick them up and also to get some other things that we needed."

"It seems as if I'm not the only person who's been keeping secrets today."

# # #


Jarod walked into the living room to find Helen sitting on the sofa, reading one of the files, as the children played in the corner. Sitting in the armchair, he stared at the fire for a few minutes before turning to look at her.

"How did you find out?"

She looked up. "About Alex? It was in one of the files that I'd read a few minutes before we made the connection." Helen looked at him sympathetically. "I hadn't been going to mention it, but once I started, it was hard to stop."

"So that was all...under orders?"

"Yes, Jarod." Her tone was soft. "Alex cut a deal with my brother. If he’d done what he was meant to do and killed you, Mr. Parker and Lyle, he'd have been given a seat on the Triumvirate." Helen picked up a folder from the top of a pile, glanced through it and then handed it to him.

"So Eddie...?"

Helen nodded slowly, putting the file in her hand aside and resting her head against the sofa. "He wasn't supposed to survive his initial encounter with Alex and it was just by chance that he did. I'd guess that Alex was interrupted, but I don't know for sure. He got the helicopter from my brother, waited until you went to the hospital in your role as an NSA Agent and then tried to kill you both." Tears glistened in her eyes. "He partially succeeded."

"So," Jarod put his hand over the spot where a scar still reminded him of those days, "why didn't he kill me when he had the chance?"

"He had an order that everyone had to die in. He couldn't kill you until Mr. Parker was dead."

Jarod raised an eyebrow. "That seems a little extreme."

"Not at all. My brother didn't want Alex on the Triumvirate but he had to offer him something worth aiming for. By making it so difficult, he could hope that someone would kill him first."

The Pretender nodded slightly. "And is he...?"

"Yes, Jarod, he's dead. As I thought he would, he surfaced some distance away, where a boat was waiting. The person in that boat, acting on my brother's order, shot Alex dead as he tried to climb in. The body was pushed back into the water and it looked like you had shot him and he'd drowned."

"Would you...have told me?"

"Of course." Helen stared at the fire for a moment before looking back at him. "It's important to lay demons to rest, and knowing always makes it that much easier."

"For you too?"

She shrugged. "I thought it would. Now it doesn't seem to." Helen tried to swallow the tears that she could feel rising. "I guess it's just something else to get over."

"Something else?"

"Helen's grandfather was the one who ordered her parents' death," interrupted a quiet voice from the doorway and Sydney walked into the room. "We found out about half an hour ago."

"Why?" Jarod's tones carried the same incomprehension Sydney's had had when learning about the car accident. "Why would he do that?"

"My father protested to him about Prodigy," Helen responded quietly. "Because my grandfather came up with the idea in the first place, he didn't like the protest. The letter I got from my mother warned me never to go to him for help because he and my parents had never got along, but when he learned what would happen as a result of the project, my father clearly felt he had no choice. He protested. My grandfather didn't like it, but, because of the fact that he was family, hoped that threats would be enough of a deterrent. Then my mother started to steal from the Centre. My grandfather found out and gave a directive that they were to be killed."

"But your brother was working there. Why wasn't he...?" Jarod stopped abruptly, the pain on the face of the woman opposite him making the Pretender unable to finish the sentence.

"My brother was given tests to prove his loyalty. He passed them and was given a job at the Centre without ever being told about the connection to his new boss." Helen's lips twisted. "With wonderful irony, my brother was the person who spearheaded the coup that would have my grandfather killed."

"Did Michelle know?"

"No,” Sydney responded. “It was Helen's father's father and she had never met him or even knew his name. He knew, though, and his sense of family loyalty was the reason that Michelle was only threatened and not killed."

Jarod nodded slowly, glancing at the woman, unsurprised to see that silent tears were rolling down her cheeks and onto her hands. Her voice when at last she spoke, however, was calm.

"My grandfather was also the person who came up with the idea of Mirage and ordered Raines to kill Catherine. And he approved Gemini."

"Did he also approve Michael?"

"No. He was assassinated before that, a year before Jonathon was born. It was my brother who gave his approval for it, as well as Thomas' murder and - " she stopped suddenly, staring at the floor, before closing her eyes.

"And what?" Jarod prompted quietly.

"And Damon, both times," Sydney told the other man. "Helen's brother was angry at your refusal to complete the simulation and the way you constantly humiliated the Centre, particularly after that situation with the Yakuza. He decided you’d caused enough problems and ought to be eliminated."

Before Jarod could reply, the children came over. Louise climbed up into her aunt's lap and David scrambled up to sit on Jarod's knee, effectively finishing the conversation. The girl reached up to brush the teardrops away from her aunt's face, a look of concern on her own, and Helen made an effort to regain her self-control as she stood up. Turning, she saw Sam in the doorway and looked down at the girl in her arms.

"I think it's bedtime, sweetheart."

Helen carried the small girl into the bedroom and switched on the lamp, bathing the room in a soft pink glow. Turning back the bed, she put the child down on it, covering her warmly.

"If you want me, sweetie, all you have to do is call out and I'll come in, okay?"

"Uh huh." The girl put her arms around her aunt's neck and hugged her. "Will you leave the light on?"

"Yes, honey, I will." She glanced down at the pajamas that Louise was wearing. "In the morning, we're going shopping and I'll buy some lovely clothes for you. Is that a good idea?"

"Mmm hmm," the girl murmured drowsily. "That'd be nice."

"Good, baby." Helen bent over to kiss the child on the forehead. "Pleasant dreams, my darling."

Going into the other room, she found the boy on Sam's lap as he read the child a story. When it was finished, she returned the boy's hug and kissed him on the top of the head before turning on the nightlight.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"If you go shopping tomorrow, can I come, too?"

"Of course, David. All my boys are coming with Louise and I."

"Goody." He lay down as Sam pulled up the blanket, looking up at the woman with a cheeky grin. "Angelo and Steve, too?"

"Not quite, David. They don't belong with my other boys."

"So we'll be family shopping?"

"That's right, David," Sam responded with a smile. "But you have to go to sleep now if you want to come."

"Okay." The boy quickly shut his eyes and, hiding their smiles, the adults left the room. Outside, Sam pulled Helen into his arms, using his thumb to brush away the last traces of her tears.

"We're your family now, Helen. You don't have to think about that anymore."

Nodding, she rested her head against his shoulder as, his arm around her, they descended the stairs.

# # #


"Which one do you like best, baby?"

Louise sat up on the bed and bounced. "This one."

"Okay, we'll get that one, then."

"Do I have these sheets, too?"

Helen hugged the girl, laughing. "No, sweetie. That's just for the display. We'll get much nicer sheets for you to have at home."

"Like the fairies on my toy-box?"

"If you want them, yes, honey."

"And what's David getting?"

"These." The boy pulled Louise over to where Sam was waiting at the counter, several parcels of bed linen beside him. "What do you think?"

Louise scrunched up her nose. "It's boys things."

The doctor laughed. "Why do you say that, sweetheart?"

"Well, 'cos all the toys David and Michael have are all trains and cars and things to build with, and all my things are dolls and teddies."

"You can have cars as well, if you want," remarked Sam, laughing, as the child's face contorted in disgust.

"I like Auntie's toys better."

"Who told you they were mine, Louise?" Helen asked in amusement.

"Michelle. She told me all their names and how much you used to like them."

"I'll have to have words with her if she's going to tell on me like that."

The girl giggled. "Will she be in trouble?"

"Lots of trouble," Helen laughed. "But we'll wait until we get home for that. Just now, I want you to choose what things you want on your bed." She escorted the girl over to the racks of sheets and pillowcases, letting the child choose between all of the colors and patterns that were on display.

# # #


"Now I know why I was dragged along," Sam commented as he steered the car out of the parking lot. "It was to carry all the bags."

"Why else?" She laughed. "I always take a strong man along when I shop. I dragged Jarod along for the same reason."

"Well, thank goodness for that,” Sam joked. “I was beginning to think I had competition."

"Mommy wouldn't do that, Daddy! She wants to marry you!"

"I know David." Sam glanced in the mirror with a smile. "She's going to."

"When?"

"We haven't talked about that yet, David,” the woman put in. “But it's not going to be for a while."

"First I've heard of it," the former sweeper remarked. "When was that decided?"

Helen waggled her left hand in front of his face. "I'm waiting for it to become fully official, and, for that to happen, I want to be blinded every time I look down at my ring finger in the light."

"Now that's just greedy."

"Greed is good."

"Only in you."

"Oh, so I will get one? I'm glad to hear it." She giggled. "And do I also get a massive ceremony to make everyone who goes to it jealous as well?"

"Hmm," he paused thoughtfully, "I'll see what finances I can scrape together on my meager salary and get back to you."

"What salary? You don't have a job anymore, remember?"

"So what hope do you have for a big wedding?"

"When you see the balance of the account for which you received the bank card today, then I'm sure you'll be able to satisfy my every wish and want."

Sam laughed. "What else would I need money for?"
Part 27 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 27



Ashe, New York
Helen carried the tray into the living room, setting it on the coffee table, before sitting down beside Sam on the floor.

"I thought you might have fallen asleep while waiting for me."

"I don't make assumptions like those," her fiancé chuckled.

She laughed. "But you make some."

"Well, if you order me not to, like you did with your brother, then I might consider obeying."

"Are you better at obeying my orders than his?"

"I don't know." He lowered his mouth to hers. "You tell me."

The woman was about to respond when the door opened, brightening the room that had, before now, only been lit by the leaping flames.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Am I interrupting?"

"No, Sydney, it's fine." Helen rolled onto her stomach, propping her face on her hands. "Actually, I wanted to ask if there was anything else of interest in the files that you, Jarod, Michelle, Nicholas and Steve were looking through while we were shopping."

"We had Angelo take a look through them first,” the psychiatrist replied, taking a seat on the sofa. “He directed our attention to the ones that would be of most use to your friend, the detective."

"That reminds me." Sam looked down at Helen as he sat up and reached for his coffee. "I thought he was coming tonight."

"He called to say he'll be here in the morning. Apparently my brother's being a little stubborn."

"Gee," Sydney raised an eyebrow. "That's not a trait that runs through your family or anything, is it?"

"You mean like the sarcasm that your son inherited from you?"

"If it was only inherited then Jarod wouldn't have it in such abundance."

"So it's environmental as well." Helen shrugged. "You, as a psychiatrist, ought to know that the debate of 'nature versus nurture' hasn't been settled yet."

"Have you organized anything for the future, Doctor?" the other man put in.

"Trying to get rid of us, Sam?"

The younger man laughed. "Now why would I do that, sir?"

"You know, Sam, you could call me by my name. I'm not your superior now."

"Except in age, sir, and that's one thing that will never change."

"Why, Sam!" Helen looked at him in mock-astonishment. "I had no idea you were so respectful."

"Only to those that deserve it." He laughed, holding her at bay with one hand while she lunged at him, seeking vengeance for the implied insult. "What sort of an example are you setting Sydney by this behaviour?"

"He already knows what I'm like after all this time. You, on the other hand, seem to be forgetting."

"It has been fifteen years," he reminded her.

"So the past few days haven't had an impact?"

"Maybe my memory's been affected by my work."

"You mean the mindless obedience you were supposed to display? What sort of a husband will you be in that circumstance?"

"Is that what you're expecting? The same sort of immediate reaction to orders as your brother demanded?"

"Well, it doesn't sound bad..."

Sam looked up. "Excuse me for a moment, sir, while I display very unsweeperish behaviour."

"Go right ahead," Sydney responded with a smile. "I'll be entertained."

Grabbing the woman around the waist with one hand, Sam began to tickle Helen, listening to her shriek before she began to breathlessly plead for mercy.

"I'm sorry, no, please!"

"Are you expecting that?"

"No! I'm not expecting anything! I promise you, I'm making no expectations about our married life whatsoever!"

He tickled her again. "And assumptions?"

"No, none of those either!" She tried to wriggle out of his grasp but he was able to prevent it.

"So now you're trying to escape from me?"

"No! Never! I wouldn't!" She gasped for breath, her face red and hair tousled.

"Oh, really? Never?"

"Not in the foreseeable future..." Breathless, Helen shrieked as Sam tickled her again, before she managed to roll away. As another figure appeared in the doorway, Helen ran over to hide behind him. "Jarod, protect me!"

"From what?"

"My future husband."

The Pretender raised an eyebrow. "And why should I do that?"

"Gratitude for all the things I've done for you."

He snorted. "Good luck. Need a hand, Sam?"

"That's mean, Jarod." The little boy's voice spoke from the stairs and the child ran into the room, grabbing Helen around the waist. "I'll protect you, Mommy."

"Thank you, sweetheart." She picked him up and hugged him. "I know I'm safe now. Your Daddy wouldn't dare do anything now." She walked back over to the rug and sat down, the boy in her lap, eyeing Sam warily. "Would he?"

"I'll wait until he goes back to bed and do it then," the man laughed.

"I won't go to bed," the child piped up.

"We'll see, baby." She took the mug that Sydney handed to her with a smile.

"If he gets to stay up, do I get to as well?" asked another young voice.

Sam looked up with a laugh as the girl came down and curled up in his lap. "We'll see, sweetie."

"You're going to have problems with these two," the psychiatrist smiled. "They're always going to be leading each other into trouble."

"Is that your professional opinion, Doctor?"

"Something like that."

"We'll just keep them away from disruptive forces," Helen smiled. "Like Jarod."

"And this from the woman who wanted my protection!"

"You didn't give it to me, so I repay that cruel neglect in taunts."

"You don't deserve my mommy to be nice to you, Jarod. You were horrible to her, so why should she be nice?"

"That's a very good point, David." Helen hugged him. "I don't think he does. I might never be nice to him again." She grinned at the Pretender. "Even if he gets sick again, and nods off against my shoulder with a high fever."

Jarod laughed, leaning against the sofa. "So what would you do if that ever did occur again?"

"Pack you off to an infectious diseases hospital so that you didn't give it to any of my children, or to Steve or Angelo."

"What about Sydney, Michelle or Nicholas?"

The psychiatrist smiled. "We're going back to Albany tomorrow and Nicholas will be going back to work the day after. Now that the Centre is no longer a threat, it's quite safe for us to do so."

Helen glanced at Jarod. "And when are you going again?"

The Pretender laughed. "Soon, it would seem, as I'm no longer welcome here."

# # #


"And this is Sam."

"Your fiancée?"

Helen smiled. "How did you guess?"

"Oh, we're trained to notice things like that." The detective shook the man's hand, with a smile. "It's good to meet you, Sam. You're a lucky man."

"Thank you. I know."

"And these are the children." Helen picked up the boy. "David, this is another one of my friends."

"More?" The child rolled his eyes and Sam grinned.

"You've been picking up bad habits from Jarod."

"No, Daddy!" The child's face took on an expression of innocence before he had to grin. "Miss Parker taught me how to do that."

Helen noticed the slightly uncomfortable expression on the face of the detective and picked up her niece.

"And this is Louise."

"His daughter?"

"Yes." She eyed the man. "Did you get the paperwork signed?"

"It's all done for her."

Noticing the hesitation, Helen put down the girl. "Baby, you and David run away and play now."

"Yes, auntie." The girl grabbed David's hand and the two children ran out of the room. When they were gone, Helen turned to the detective. "Is David's through as well?"

"That's something we need to talk about."

"In what way?"

The man swallowed hard before looking up at her. "Helen, we've found David's family."

The woman felt as if she’d been punched in the stomach, and for several minutes she stared uncomprehendingly at the detective in front of her.

"But... I thought this parents..."

"It isn't his parents. It's the sister of his mother and her husband. They contacted us after seeing the reports about the Centre on the news, and they provided more than enough information for us to believe them."

"And they want him?"

"Yes."

"What's their situation?"

"His aunt is a paraplegic after an accident several years ago, but I talked to her myself, and she seems to be a very kind, caring woman. She has a nurse living in the house with them full-time, so David won't have to worry about helping."

"I should hope not," Helen murmured.

"We'll have social services check on them every few days until we see how he's settling in."

"But they'll have custody."

"Helen, they're his relatives." He rested a hand on her arm. "I know how attached you've become to that child, but they do have more of a right to him than you do."

"Despite everything we've done for him."

"I'm sorry." The man shook his head. "We'll be coming to get him in the morning. If either of you make any difficulties, I'll have to arrest you."

"I understand," she muttered, looking at David, who was playing with Steve and Louise while Angelo watched. Feeling the hand on her shoulder, she turned to see Sam standing behind her and the pain in his eyes told her that he had heard every word of the conversation. She let herself be pulled into his arms and rested her head against his shoulder, willing away her tears.

# # #


Sam slipped into bed beside her, wrapping his arms around her, feeling Helen start to sob. Gently stroking her hair, he felt the tears from her face running down onto his shoulder.

"I just want my son, Sam. Is that so wrong?"

"No, Helen. Of course not. But his family have the right to him as well, and you're the person who gave them the chance to have him. I'm sure they'll let us see him sometimes."

"It won't be the same," she murmured. "And Louise is never going to get over it."

"Neither will we," he told her gently. "Even if he belongs to another family, we can still think of him as our son. We've earned that, with everything we've done." The man pulled back, looking down at her. "It's still better than leaving him with Raines."

"I know." She nodded slowly, looking up at him. "But it's so hard, Sam."

"Mommy?"

The two people looked around to see the little boy standing beside the bed with a worried look on his face.

"Why are you crying?"

Helen put out her arm and he scrambled up into bed between the two people, his head lying on the pillow with his arms around Sam's neck.

"Sweetie, you've got a new home to go to in the morning. Your auntie and uncle want you to live with them from now on."

The boy looked up at her. "But I want to live with you."

"I know, baby, but you aren't allowed to. You have to go with them."

"Who says?"

"The law says, darling." She gently stroked his cheek. "But we'll try to visit you, if we can."

"Can I visit here?"

"We don't know, David," Sam responded quietly. "We'll have to wait and see what your aunt and uncle say."

The boy buried his head in the man's shoulder. "You aren't going to make me go, are you?"

"David, we don't have a choice. If we try to stop them, we could get into trouble."

"Can grown ups get into trouble too?"

"Yes, baby." Helen wiped away the tears that had begun to roll down his face. "If we do anything wrong, we can get into lots of trouble."

"I don't want that." He kissed her. "But if I go without making any fuss, you won't get into trouble, right?"

"That's right, honey," the woman agreed softly.

"But will you be sad too?"

"Of course, darling. We don't want you to go. If it was our choice, you'd stay here forever." Helen kissed the now-round cheek. "We love you a lot, David and don't want to let you go, even to other people who will probably love you just as much as we do."

# # #


"Auntie, is it true that David's going?"

"Yes, Louise." Helen picked up the small girl. "His auntie and uncle want him with them, just like we want you."

"But we want him, too."

"I know, baby, but they're his family and we're not. Not really."

"So he has to go, like he said?"

"Yes, sweetheart." She tightened her hold around the child. "But we never have to let you go, and Michael will always be here with us. Nobody can take the two of you away."

"But David won't be here." The girl's eyes filled with tears. "I'll miss him."

"Yes, darling, and so will we, but we can't be too upset, or it may make him upset, and it wouldn't be good when he gets to his family, okay?"

The girl nodded obediently, wiping her eyes on the tissue Helen gave her as they went to the kitchen. "When is he going?"

"In a few hours, Louise, just after lunch. The same person who came yesterday to see us is going to take him to his family."

"And will we ever see him again?"

"I don't know, baby. Maybe sometimes."

"Does Steve know?"

"Yes, sweetie. We called him this morning and told him. He's coming this afternoon, before David goes. But we didn't tell anyone else. We wanted this just to be us today."

"Will you tell them later?"

"We'll have to, Louise, because people will wonder where he is, but we'll wait for a few days until we get used to it ourselves."

"And that could take some getting used to," a quiet voice from behind her stated.

"Hi Steve." Helen turned, hugging him. "How's work?"

He half-smiled, understanding her attempt to change the subject. "It's different in a lot of ways, but I like it."

# # #


Helen handed the counselor a small bag of clothes she had packed earlier that morning and then took the child from Sam's arms. David threw both arms around her neck, hugging her hard.

"I love you, Mommy."

"I love you, too, David." She kissed him on the forehead. "Be a good boy."

"Uh huh." He nodded, wiping his eyes on his sleeve, and then let her put him into the car seat. As she pulled back, he grabbed her one more time and planted a final kiss on her forehead, before letting go and turning away so she couldn't see his face. The car pulled away from the curb as soon as Helen closed the door, and she buried her face in Sam's shoulder for a moment before he bent down to pick up Louise.

"Do we get to see him again?"

"No, baby," the man answered. "They don't want us to."

"Why not?"

"They want him to get used to them and not always be coming to us for things."

"But we want to see him."

"I'm sorry, Louise, but we have to do what they want. They're in charge, not us."

"And what are we going to do with his room?"

"Eventually we'll clear it out, baby, and use it for another room, but not yet."

The girl looked at her aunt as the woman walked into the house. "David won't want you to be sad, auntie. Isn't he going to be happy with his family?"

"We hope so, baby, but we're allowed to miss him."

# # #


Helen walked into the room and sank down on the boy's bed, glancing around at the decorations on the walls as she let the tears flow down her cheeks. The door went unnoticed as it opened but the woman looked down as she felt the hand on her wrist to see the empath curled up at her feet.

"Sad."

"Yes, Angelo. I am."

"David sad."

"I'd expect him to be, but I hope he'll be happy soon."

"Homesick."

She stood up. "That's his home now, and the sooner he realizes that, the better it will be for him."

"Leave room."

"For now." She nodded. "We'll leave it until we can bear to change it."

"Hungry."

"You or Louise?"

"Michael."

"Okay, let's go and feed him."

"Louise."

"And you, too, I suppose." She smiled weakly as he grinned slyly at her. "All right, let's feed you all."

As they came into the kitchen, Sam put his hands on her shoulders, turning Helen to face at him and brushing away the tears on her cheeks.

"I just called the counselor and it seems that everything's okay. She's going back there each day for the next week or so, and if it's still fine then they'll get custody of him."

"And if not?"

"Then we'll get him back until they work out the problems."

Nodding, she opened the fridge and began to get out the food she had made for dinner, watching as Louise set the table.

# # #


"Did you come to bed at all last night?"

Helen jumped at the voice behind her, looking around as Sam came down the stairs. He sat next to her, looking at the machine in front of her, showing a DSA of David performing a simulation.

"Sweetheart, you have to let him go. He's with his family now."

"You make it sound like he died," she responded with a sob, smiling faintly as she leaned against the arm he put around her shoulders

"It seems like it," he agreed. "It's certainly a way for us to cope with it."

"And they won't even let us see him."

"You know why they did that, Helen." Sam kissed her softly. "We might have done the same thing if the situation had been reversed."

"I just hope he's happy..."

"If he isn't, I'm sure they won't make him stay with them. That child's suffered too much in his life already - "

"And now he has to have another separation, and I promised him he could be with me forever. He's going to start hating me because I broke my promise."

"No, Helen. He loves you too much for everything you've done to ever hate you."

"It won't matter." Her tones became hard. "We aren't going to see him again."

"You don't know for certain," he chided lovingly. "It's possible. They arranged it this way because they don't know about his aunt and uncle but they do know we'd care for him properly. If there's even the slightest problem..."

"I know." She leaned against him, feeling his arms wrap around her. "And it's the one thing that's helping me to deal with it. As long as he's happy..."

# # #


Sam walked into the kitchen and began to dry the dishes that Helen was washing, glancing at her out of the corner of his eye. When the silence had continued for almost twenty minutes, he broke it.

"Steve's taken Louise and Michael out for the afternoon."

"Where?"

"That movie Louise wanted to see." He put a finger on her lips as she opened them to reply, using his other arm to pull her close to him. "I know you said you'd take her, but I'm not sure it's the best for either of you right now."

"Maybe you're right. And Angelo?"

"He's downstairs, I think. I'm not exactly sure what he's doing, but he's quite able to take care of himself. He's been doing it for years."

She nodded. "I know." Helen looked up sharply as the phone rang and wiped the tears from her cheeks as if the caller was going to see her. As she reached for the phone, Sam maneuvered around her and picked it up.

"Hello?"

Rinsing the last pot, Helen placed it, steaming, on the rack, able to hear the tension rising in her fiancé’s voice as he responded to the caller.

"We'll be there as soon as possible. Half an hour, maximum."

Hanging up the phone, Sam walked over and put a hand on her shoulder, turning her to face him. "That was the counselor. They want us to meet them there."

"Why?"

"She went to the house today in time to hear David's uncle yell at him and saw him strike our son, knocking him into a wall."

Sam put his arms around Helen as she swayed, her hands clenched into fists.

"After calling the police, the counselor went to talk to his aunt's nurse. The woman reported that she’d suspected it was happening, but, because David never made any noise, she thought it couldn't have been anything serious."

He took their coats off the hook near the back door and put hers around Helen's shoulders, gently brushing her forehead with his lips.

"Come on, sweetheart, let's go and bring our boy home for good."

# # #


Alton, New York
"Where is he?"

"In his bedroom." The counselor led the way past the police as they talked to the nurse. "He won’t talk to anyone and he won't move, crawling back into the same spot as soon as somebody lets him go."

Helen looked up sharply. "And what's going to happen?"

The woman looked at the other two people as they halted outside the door. "I've already got the court order. He's all yours, and I'll deliver the papers to you as soon as they're processed."

The counselor opened the door and stood back, allowing the two people to enter the tiny, dark room. As her eyes adjusted, Helen saw the child curled up on the floor with his head on his arms as he sat in the corner, rocking slightly, and Helen could hear him softly humming the lullaby that she had sung to him after carrying him back to bed two nights earlier.

"David?"

She walked over and knelt on the floor next to him, feeling the boy flinching at her touch, before he looked up.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, baby. I'm here."

Helen wrapped her arms around him as David flung himself at her, sobbing suddenly and violently.

"Please, Mommy, take me home. I don't like it here."

"That's exactly what we're going to do, sweetheart. We’ll take you back home and never let you go again."

Helen carried the boy over to where Sam was waiting. The child threw himself at the man, wrapping both arms rightly around the man’s neck and burying his face in the former sweeper's shoulder.

"It's all right, Davy-boy," Sam soothed, putting his other arm around Helen and pulling her close to him also. "We're here now, and you're safe."

"Do I have to live with them anymore?"

"No, my darling." Helen smoothed his hair and stroked his cheeks. "No, you don't have to see them. You won't see him anymore."

"And can I come home now, Daddy?"

"Yes, David." Sam held the boy closer. "You can come home and you really don't have to leave us this time ever again."

# # #


Helen got into the back seat with the boy still clinging around her neck and Sam climbed into the driver's seat, looking over his shoulder to see David put his head in the woman's lap, and, despite the limitations of the seatbelt, still manage to lie close to her.

"Come on, Sam." The doctor's tone was light. "Let's get away from here at some point before the sun goes down."

"Mommy?"

She looked down as the man started the car with a laugh. "What is it, baby?"

"Are Louise and Michael at home, too?"

"Not right now, honey. They went to the movies with Steve, but they'll get there a few hours after we do."

"And Angelo?"

"Yes, he's there."

The boy gave her a tiny smile. "He was there last night, too."

She smiled back at him, her tones betraying her skepticism. "Was he?"

"Uh huh. He came in through the window."

"Are you sure you weren't dreaming, baby?"

The boy awkwardly reached into the pocket of his pants and pulled out a familiar gold band, which he gave her. "He said to give that back to you."

"What is it?" Sam glanced in the rearview mirror to see the look of amazement on Helen's face.

"The ring you gave me when we moved in together ten years ago." She held it up so he could see it. "I couldn't find it this morning, but I thought you might have taken it to be cleaned, like you said you would." She looked at the little boy. "And he gave it to you last night?"

"Uh huh. And he stayed until I fell asleep." David wrapped his arms around her waist and hugged her. "If I didn't see the ring, I’d have thought I dreamed it, too, but that made me positive it was real, that he'd been. I had to hide it, though, so that the man wouldn't be able to find it."

"It doesn't matter now, baby." She slipped the ring back on her finger and then hugged him. "You won't need Angelo to come to your room tonight."

"Will you be there?"

"I'll sleep in your room tonight, David, if you want me to."

He nodded, squeezing her tightly. "I don't want to be alone again."

Helen stroked his cheek, bending down to kiss him. "You don't have to be, baby. I promise, you'll never ever have to be alone again."

# # #


Ashe, New York
With his arms around her neck, she carried him into the house, putting him down on the sofa in the living room, at which point he immediately scrambled over into her lap. As he rested his head against her shoulder, she began to stroke his hair, turning to kiss his cheek.

"Mommy, is my room still the same?"

"Yes, David. We didn't change it and we won't now."

Nodding, he nestled into her neck. "And are you glad I'm back?"

"Most definitely, baby." She tightened her hold around him. "I missed you so very much."

"I missed you, too." He lifted a hand, rubbing one eye. "I wanted you so badly last night, and you were so far away."

"Never again, my darling." She looked down into his tear-stained face. "I promise, if you want me from now on, all you have to do is call and I'll come."

"Like Angelo did?"

"I'm not as clever as Angelo, baby, so I won't know how you feel, unless you tell me something's wrong."

"Happy."

"Yes, Angelo." She turned with a smile, watching David hug the man. "I do know that much." The boy put his head back on her shoulder as Helen eyed the empath. "I also know it's going to be a miracle if you don't get a cold from all your wanderings through the night to comfort my boy."

"Favor."

"It was lovely of you to return the favor, Angelo, but I don't want you getting sick as a result."

"Tell."

She raised an eyebrow. "Is that a promise? You won't do what Jarod did and try to hide it in the hope that it goes away?"

Grinning, the man shook his head, going over to the corner and picking up one of Michael's toys. Helen looked back at David in time to see his eyes close as he relaxed. Gently she started to stroke his hair, looking up in time to see Sam walk into the room.

"Asleep?"

"He's worn out, poor baby. It was hard for him."

Sam eyed the shadows under her eyes. "He's not the only one. Why don't you go up to our room and have a nap together?"

"Steve should be back soon and I want to see him before he heads back to work again. Besides, I'm not that tired."

Nodding, the man put an arm around her and drew her close to him. A smile curled her lips as she leaned against him, feeling his hand on her hair. Just for a brief moment, Helen closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling of the child in her lap and the man behind her.

"Asleep," the empath murmured and Sam looked down with a smile.

"I thought you said you weren't tired, Helen," he commented softly, receiving the blanket from the other man and covering the people in his arms with it. With his free hand Sam picked up his book from the arm of the sofa, but found it insufficient to distract him from the sight of the child lying in his fiancé’s arms. Reaching out a hand, he stroked the boy's hair and touched his cheek with his thumb. David’s eyes opened and he looked up drowsily.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, baby?"

"Why is Mommy tired?"

"She was up all night thinking about you, sweetheart,” Sam told him lovingly. “She didn't even go to bed."

"Poor Mommy."

David's arms tightened around Helen's neck and she opened her eyes, looking down at him.

"It doesn't matter, honey. You're here with me now so I'll sleep tonight."

"You don't have to sleep in my room if you don't want to."

"Believe me, sweetie, I want to." She kissed him gently. "I also want to make you something nice for dinner. Shall we go and pick something?"

"Can I have something now? I'm hungry."

"Did you get anything for breakfast, David?"

"No." The boy shook his head, resting it back on Helen's shoulder as she rose to her feet.

"So you haven't had anything to eat for the whole day?" The doctor glanced at her watch. "What would you like now, darling?"

"Can I have a pop-tart?"

"You can have whatever you want." She carried the boy into the kitchen. "Do you know what you want for dinner, too?"

"Could we go to a restaurant? Then you won't have to cook."

"When did you go to a restaurant, David?"

"My other mommy and daddy took me before the men came in through my window to take me to him." The boy shivered and hid his face in Helen's neck.

"It's okay, sweetheart," she soothed softly. "You're safe now. Your daddy and I will protect you."

"Really?"

"Look at your dad, David. Doesn't he look like he could protect anybody?"

"What are you suggesting, Helen?" Sam's voice was full of amusement. "That I'm a bully?"

"Bully? Oh, no. But most people would think twice before they tried to interfere with a person like you."

"How long did you think about it before you agreed to dance with me?"

She smiled, letting him wrap his arms around her and their son. "You didn't seem like quite such a daunting prospect then."

"Oh, so you're daunted?"

"No, but then I know what a softy you are." Helen kissed him. "Other people might be less sure."

"Such as?"

"I think my brother would be rather daunted if you appeared in his jail cell."

"And with good reason." He stroked her cheek with his free hand. "But I'm not so sure that other people should be daunted."

"What's 'daunted'?" the boy enquired curiously.

"It means the same thing as scared, David."

"Why would anybody be scared of Daddy?" The boy looked at the man whose arms were around him.

"That's a very good question, David," responded an amused voice from the open doorway. "But he can be quite scary, sometimes."

"Well, that's revealing, Pretender," the man grinned. "I wish I'd know it before."

"Believe me, you wouldn't have." Jarod walked into the house. "I don't reveal my weaknesses to my enemies."

Sam laughed. "So, considering you just revealed that particular weakness, what makes you think I'm not your enemy anymore?"

"Hey, you were the person who said I could trust you. I saw no reason to be at all skeptical."

"Mommy, can I have my Pop-tarts now?"

"Of course you can, sweetheart." She carried him into the pantry, bringing out the box and taking it over to the toaster. "Oh, what a pity! There's just one package left but after everything that my boy's gone through yesterday and this morning, I think he should get both of them."

"I agree," Jarod commented and she looked at him sharply.

"Who have you been talking to?"

"Steve called me last night to tell me what was going on." The Pretender took a seat opposite the former sweeper, lowering his voice so only the other man could hear. "In fact I'm surprised to see him here. Did you abduct him again?"

"No." Sam shook his head and briefly related the circumstances before taking the boy as Helen held him out, seating the child on his knee.

"I thought I wasn't mean to do this." David looked up doubtfully. "That's what both Mommy and Sydney said."

"This is special, baby, but when we go out for dinner tonight, you have to sit on a chair properly."

"That's okay. I don't mind." He broke off a corner of the Pop-tart Helen put on a plate in front of him, reaching over to put it in Jarod's mouth.

"Thank you, David. That was very nice."

"Mmm hmm," the boy mumbled with his mouth full, nodding vigorously.

"Could I ask, unintentionally sounding rather rude, what you're doing here anyway, Jarod?"

He grinned. "You can ask. I'm not promising to answer."

Picking up a glass, Helen half-filled it and dumped the water over his head. "I told you, it's not a good idea for you to quote me."

As David giggled, the man gasped. "That was cold!"

"Serves you right." She took the dishcloth off the hook and threw it at him. "When you're dry, you can wash the floor as well."

"You're a genuine optimist, aren't you?" Jarod rubbed his wet hair, drying his face before throwing the dishtowel back at her. "Actually, I only came by to see if there was anything I could do to help, but everything seems to be working out on its own."

Sam grinned at Helen. "Now I bet you're sorry that you gave him the shower."

"Not at all. It's been a long time coming, ever since he stripped the paint from my lovely rental."

"I would have thought that you repaid yourself for that."

"Okay, then what about your fracture, getting the measles, and reuniting you with the members of your family who are still alive?" She suddenly laughed. "And you never asked me for that package from your brother either. It's on the bench there behind you"

Turning, Jarod stood and seized the wrapped package, eyeing the hand-written label in the script he could remember from visiting his brother's jail cell more than four years earlier. With reverent hands, Jarod unfastened the tape, folding back the brown paper and revealing the small heap of objects. The package contained a pile of blue notebooks as well as a model aeroplane carved out of the remains of a bar of soap. Glancing at Helen, Jarod saw a smile appear on her face as she looked at the object.

"You can't make me believe that a child of the age Kyle was when the two of us were abducted could remember that sort of detail," he stated.

"Jarod, do you remember what Angelo gave you in August of 1968? You also got it again only a few years ago and gave it to Kyle before the van exploded, when he gave it back to you."

"The Flying Cross." He nodded slowly. "But did you tell him, too?"

"I never told Kyle anything about your parents. After all, I knew why he was in jail in the first place and I didn't want to put my own life at risk."

"But did he ever talk to you about that?"

"Yes."

Jarod gazed at the objects for several moments before glancing at her again. "I don't understand why you were permitted to visit him. I mean he was kept in a high security prison. Did you say he was your brother something?"

She smiled. "No, Kyle always believed that I was his psychiatrist."

"And you said I was bad because of creating fake ids." He rolled his eyes. "So he believed you?"

"He had no reason not to. I consulted with one of my medical colleagues - a qualified psychiatrist, incidentally - and showed him tapes of the sessions so that he could advise me on what to say."

The Pretender lifted an eyebrow. "My brother let you tape the sessions? I didn't think he'd be that trusting."

"Jarod, he was in jail. They have a bad habit of video-taping things, whether a person wants them or not." She smiled slightly. "Like the Centre used to do."

"So you last saw him when?"

"I last visited him in prison about a week before he escaped."
Part 28 by KB
Sleight of Hand
Part 28



Ashe, New York
Leaning back in his seat, the Pretender arched an eyebrow. "So how did you learn about the van explosion? His name was never mentioned."

Helen smiled and stood up, taking another parcel down from the top of a cupboard and holding it in her hands. "I told you I saw him about a week before his escape. But I saw him after that, too."

Jarod expression cleared. "He came to you for help after the explosion."

"It's not far from here - a couple of hours. He wanted help and knew I’d do everything I could for him, although he never knew why. But I'd given him the address of a post-box where he could write to me if he felt like it, so he knew what area I lived in. I heard about his escape on the radio and, having a good idea of what he'd do, I made very sure that people in the area knew that I was here and not in New Jersey or somewhere else."

"And when did he arrive?"

"He made his way here that afternoon. The FBI didn't believe it was possible for him to survive the explosion, so they didn't bother to report it for a few hours. That gave him time to get to me. The man who gave him a lift from a road above the site of the explosion knew me very well and, knowing I'd help him, brought Kyle here. After a discussion with me, he never reported his actions to the police and went home to his new wife, who presumably still doesn't know."

She raised an eyebrow at Jarod, who grinned.

"How is it that Eddie gets involved in everything?"

Helen laughed. "How is it that you get involved in everything too? The two of you were so similar that it's almost scary."

"So Kyle came here and then what?"

"He spent a couple of weeks here, recovering and talking about all sorts of things. It probably isn’t necessary to say that you formed a major subject of just about all those discussions. You and his parents were the main topics - as well as the fact that he had a sister."

"So you fixed up his leg?"

Helen eyed him. "There was a bit more than that. What state do you think you'd be in if you knew Raines had been planning to perform a frontal lobotomy, not to mention the fact that nobody was exactly that gentle when they took him back to the Centre."

"Particularly," Sam added, "as Raines insisted that Miss Parker's sweepers hand Kyle over to his sweepers. We were sent back to the Centre so Raines could claim all the 'glory' for the capture, despite the fact that if we hadn't been there, both of you would probably have got away."

"I volunteered to give him back that," Helen nodded at the opened parcel, "but he refused to take it, giving me the address of Harriet's farm and saying I should get in touch with her so she could give it to you. I suspected, without being sure, that Harriet would vanish after all of that happened and then I read all of the reports put in about the meeting, and Raines being shot..."

"You people can't let that topic drop, can you?"

The occupants of the kitchen turned to see Sydney in the doorway, regarding them with a mildly inquisitive air, and Helen grinned.

"As you said, Sydney, it was so impressive to look at - "

"And how you know is beyond me," Sam commented. "You weren't even there."

"Oh, wasn't I?" Helen grinned. "Boston isn't that far away. I was listening when Raines told Mr. Parker what he'd heard about the meeting, and I went there in the hope of seeing Margaret again myself. When I saw the sweepers and all of the town cars, I knew it wasn't quite going to go according to plan." Helen laughed, glancing at Sydney as the psychiatrist sat down. "If you hadn't shot him, I would have done it myself. I was about to when I saw his tank go 'poof'."

"So you didn't know where they went?"

"I was too busy trying to avoid the sweepers myself at that stage. Although none of them - except Sam, of course - would have known who I was, I didn't feel safe enough to hang around, or to bolt quickly from the scene before it arrived at the climax. I thought that might have made them a little suspicious."

"You can't say anything about Eddie and me being involved in everything. You're a lot worse than either of us."

"Only where your family's concerned. I just wish it hadn't taken this long for me to meet you." Helen pushed the package over the table. "When I got back, I didn't tell Kyle what had happened because I was worried he'd head up there to see if there was any trace of your parents or Emily, and I knew there'd be sweepers all over the place for days afterwards. Two weeks later, I woke up one morning and found a note on the table with that parcel, thanking me for my help and telling me he thought it was time for him to find you again. We'd talked about that for a while, and his idea was follow Miss Parker and the rest of the pursuit team in the belief that they'd lead him to you."

Jarod picked up the parcel and carefully opened it, looking at the few items it contained. Gently, he picked up the origami bird that lay on top, pulling on the wings until it expanded and he stood it on the table. For a moment, he stared at it, before looking back at the other items in the parcel. A small square of card was now visible, on which was drawn a picture of the Flying Cross. Reaching into his pocket, Jarod pulled out the object, placing it initially over the picture, where it fitted exactly, and then beside it, looking from the object that glittered in the light, to the picture, so accurate that it appeared almost impossible for it only to be a drawing. Finally the man lifted the card, revealing a folded piece of paper - a letter. A quick glanced showed him that it was not meant for him, but for 'Mom and Dad' and he held it up.

"Do you know what it says?"

"How could I, Jarod?” Helen demanded. “It's not addressed to me, so I certainly wouldn't read it. I had no idea what was in either of those packages until you opened them. I mean, I had my suspicions, but I didn't know for sure."

"Do you know why, when he obviously planned to escape, he gave it to me rather than keep it for himself?"

Helen smiled sadly. "When he came here, after the explosion, Kyle started to look for information about where he might find you and found newspaper articles from all over America, revealing the things you'd done for other people in your pretends. The next day he asked me why I thought you went back into the Centre to rescue him when it was so dangerous. I began to get the idea, from other things he’d said, that even if he'd known who you were, Kyle would never have done that. During the session after he found the articles, he told me that you were obviously worthier of being your father's son than he was. His image of his father was a man to be respected and admired: a hero whose exploits would have been great enough to earn him that." She tapped the medal. "As a result of that and of other remarks Kyle made to me, I suspect that he felt you deserved to have the medal because your father would be prouder of you than of him."

Jarod's voice, when he finally spoke, was low. "Did he tell you what he said to me just before he shot the tank to blow up the van?"

"Tell me."

"His words to me were: 'Don't tell them what I became'. That must have been the time he started to feel that way."

She nodded slowly. "I think that's likely. Kyle seemed amazed that you bothered to rescue him from the Centre, or that you tried to rescue Harriet when he abducted her. I think that's when he started to realize he wasn't the only one who'd changed since you two were children in the Centre."

"Well, we can blame only one person for all of that," Sydney commented softly, as he looked over to where David had fallen asleep in Sam's lap.

"It would be nice if we could, Sydney, but unfortunately we can't." Helen looked at Jarod and Sydney sadly. "Last night, for lack of something better to do, I read some more of the files that we stole from the Centre. Kyle wasn't smuggled down to SL-27 as part of some secret project of Raines'. He was moved down there with approval of the Triumvirate, so t Raines could strip him of any remaining morality. I know that the paperwork you found stated the Tower had released him, but it was just another way of moving guilt from the Triumvirate on to someone else. The only difference was that it wasn't Mr. Parker this time. They wanted to create an assassin, whom they could send to any corner of the world, and, as a bonus, who would easily be able to blend in to the places he was sent. That's the reason Kyle received several months of training with you before being taken down there. You don't think you saw him on that first day by luck, do you? It was neatly orchestrated, and the Triumvirate worked out your probable reaction to it before it happened."

She looked at Sydney.

"That’s why you received permission so easily for Kyle and Jarod to work together. It was exactly what the Triumvirate wanted. After he had received basic pretender training, Raines was given a free hand to quash all of Kyle's existing morals and fill him with hate. The one emotion he couldn't knock, beat or torture out of Kyle was a devotion to family. All his reports show that although Kyle was willing to work with most suggestions that Raines put to him, he wasn't able to convince Kyle that Raines should take his father's place in his heart and mind. After a while, the Triumvirate became concerned that such extreme methods as Raines was using might have broken Kyle too far, so they made him stop. After that, he had to concentrate on the Triumvirate's primary aim - to make the perfect soulless, moral-free killer."

# # #


"Auntie?"

"Hi, Louise." The woman picked up the little girl as she came into the room. "Was the film good, baby?"

"Uh huh. It was funny." She hugged the woman before looking around the room, her eyes lighting quickly on the sleeping boy in Sam's arms, and Helen could also see the amazement on Steve's face. "Did David come to visit?"

"No, sweetie." She kissed the child. "No, he's come home to stay. We went to get him a couple of hours ago."

"Goody."

The girl bounced on Helen's lap and the woman laughed.

"If you do that, I'll put you down."

"Please do. I want to hug him."

"Okay, sweetheart."

She let the girl slip to the floor and watched as she ran over to Sam’s chair, scrambling up, with his help, and hugging the boy. The adults remained silent, watching David return the hug, before both children got down and ran into the living room where Angelo could be seen through the partly open door. Steve sat down in the empty seat beside Sydney and looked from Sam to Helen.

"Who's going to tell me?"

The two exchanged glances before Sam nodded and got up to fill the kettle while Helen began.

"The counselor went to the house in time to see David's uncle hit him. The woman who had been taking care of David's aunt said she'd heard similar sounds the afternoon before too, but because David never made a noise, she didn't think it was important." Helen's hands tightened around the mug that Sam put in front of her, as her voice became fainter. "The poor boy must have thought we were sending him back to the Centre."

"But why would he...?"

Sam looked over at Steve, interrupting. "He's manic-depressive - or, to be more accurate, he has bi-polar disorder. If there had been other relatives competing for custody of him, they would have found out about it but, being family, there was no deeper search done. He was just handed over to them."

# # #


Helen did up the boy's shoelaces and then picked him up, feeling him snuggle as close to her as he could.

"It's okay, baby, I'm not going anywhere."

He kissed her cheek. "Who's coming with us for dinner?"

"All five of us and also Steve, Jarod and Sydney."

"Not Angelo?"

"He doesn't want to, sweetheart. We asked, but he said no."

"Was he always like that?"

"No, David. Somebody did something to him when he was a little boy that made him the way he is now."

"What was he like before that?"

"Very like you, honey. A very clever boy who also wanted to know everything."

"And will he be like that again?"

"Jarod tried, baby, but he couldn't do it. I'm afraid he'll always be the way he is now."

"That's sad." The boy looked down from the top of the staircase at where Angelo was playing with Michael in the living room. "I'd like to know what he was like."

"But if he was different," Helen told him as they went down the staircase, "then he wouldn't have known to come to you last night and he wouldn't play with you like he does."

He nodded, staring at the man for a moment before looking over at where Jarod had appeared in the doorway. David eyed him and then turned to Helen.

"Mommy, will you buy me something?"

"What is it, sweetie?"

"Will you buy me a jacket like Jarod's?"

Helen heard a sound of choking from behind her and, after glaring at Jarod as he smirked from the doorway, looked back at the boy as she put him down.

"I don't think so, David."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't like people wearing things like that, particularly not my boy."

"Does that mean you don't like Jarod?"

"Good question, David," the Pretender commented. "Is that what you mean?"

"Did you listen to what I said? My statement was that I 'don't like people wearing things like that'. What does that tell you?"

"It tells me," Jarod laughed, "that you're avoiding giving me a straight answer." He took off the jacket and slipped it around David's shoulders, trying to hide a grin at the sight of the sleeves brushing the floor. "I think that looks great."

"I thought your sister was going to try and talk you into a wider idea of fashion."

"Oh, she has been," he assured her. "She's really been trying."

"And you've been ignoring her." Helen rolled her eyes, taking the jacket from the boy's shoulders and giving it back to him, glancing at Sydney. "I don't know how anybody's ever been able to teach him anything."

"It wasn't easy." He smiled, standing up. "That's why I didn't protest more at your suggestion of retirement. I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet."

Jarod rolled his eyes, slipping the jacket back on. "I have the sneaking suspicion that I'm being insulted again."

Helen widened her eyes. "Now what on earth gave you that idea?"

"Oh, just implication." He picked up Louise as the girl ran over to him. "Well, shall we get going?"

# # #


"Was that nice, David?"

Helen looked down at the boy with a smile as he put the spoon back on his plate, beaming at her.

"It's not as nice as when you make it, Mommy."

"There's one definite advantage, baby."

"What's that?"

She laughed. "I didn't have to cook it."

"I thought you liked cooking, Auntie," Louise protested, from her chair on the far side of the table.

"I like it when you help me, sweetheart, but when you're not there, it's not as much fun."

The child grinned. "Then I won't go to school but stay home and help you all day instead."

"No, you don't." Sam put an arm around her, hugging the girl. "Your auntie wants you to get a good education more than she wants you at home all day."

"Sure?"

"Definitely, sweetie, but you'll like school. You and David will be going together in a few weeks." She glanced at the boy. "And then you can come home each afternoon and tell Sam and me everything that you've done."

"So we don't have to stay there?" David asked in a voice that trembled slightly.

"I told you about school honey, remember? You go there every morning and after a few hours you come home again." She hugged him. "We told you that you don't have to go again, David, and we meant it."

"How come Steve doesn't live at home anymore?" the girl piped up.

"My work's too far away, Louise," the man responded from Helen's other side. "If I could live with you I would, but it would take too long to get there each day."

"But will you keep coming to see us?"

"Of course," he smiled. "I have to, don't I?"

"Uh huh." David nodded. "Otherwise Michael would miss you."

"And is everything going okay?" Helen looked over with a smile. "Or are both of you ready to give up and come home for a home-cooked meal?"

He laughed softly. "I won't deny that Ethan and I haven't thought about it."

"Hey," Jarod protested from opposite him. "I cooked when I was there!"

"You've only been there once," the other man responded quickly. "And you were gone when we got up in the morning, not that that was any great surprise. Still, if we'd known that was planned, we'd have got you make more before you left."

The older Pretender laughed. "Now you know why I didn't stay."

"If you like, Steve,” Helen offered. “I can give you some things to take back with you tomorrow."

"Well," he smiled awkwardly, "I was planning to go back tonight."

She pretended to look hurt. "You'd knock back my cooking?"

"Not willingly."

"So go back tomorrow afternoon. I can't believe that you only took two days off."

"He took three," a voice from behind them commented. "I took two."

"Ethan!" Helen jumped up from her seat to hug him. "I'm glad you could make it."

"I couldn't resist the chance for a good meal." He pulled up a chair the waiter brought over, sitting next to Steve as Helen reseated herself. "Or at least a good dessert."

"So stay the night as well."

"That's the invite I was hoping for."

Sam laughed. "Ethan, we've got an open-door policy for all of you at any time, as I'm positive you know."

"Hey, I always like reassurance." He laughed softly and glanced at Jarod. "By the way, my sister said to say hello."

"How's life in Maine?"

"She's happy."

"I'm glad to hear it," stated Sydney softly.

"But she wants to know what's happening with the Centre."

"The buildings, the people or what?"

"All of the above."

Helen laughed. "Okay, the buildings are still being examined to provide the evidence against my brother and his helpers, which also answers part two. As for 'what', I'll take that to mean the files, most of which we've given to the relevant people and the rest, except for those on us, have been given to the authorities. Is that all you wanted?"

"It'll do. She can call if there's anything else she wants to know." Ethan smiled. "And how are, as Raines put it, the 'terrible trio'?"

"Slightly... upset," she smiled. "My brother would love to get his hands on me right now."

"On all of us," Jarod corrected with a laugh.

"Yes, but they all blame me for most of it." She smirked faintly. "Maybe that call wasn't such a great idea after all.”

"Just your brother," Sydney put in, "or the others as well?"

Helen laughed. "The others cut a deal to lessen their sentences. They're ganging up against my brother to make sure he never gets out. And I think their plan is likely to succeed."

# # #


Sydney replaced his cup in the saucer and looked at Steve. "Have you begun to think about other things?"

"You mean my family?"

The psychiatrist nodded. "There isn't any reason for you not to. No one will get in your way."

"We'll help you," Sam added softly.

"I know." He looked around. "But I don't even know where to start. My parents could walk through the door at any time and I'd have no idea." Hearing a noise behind him, he turned to see the door of the restaurant open, as a couple entered. With a small smile, he turned back to the table. "See what I mean?"

"You could always ask." Jarod smiled. "You know, go up to them and say 'excuse me, but did you lose a son twenty-nine years ago?'"

"I'm sure that wasn't helpful, Jarod." Sydney rolled his eyes. "I didn't hear about you ever trying that line."

"I didn't have to. You gave me a photo."

"Which is why I'm doing the same for Steve." The man reached into his pocket to take out a piece of paper. "We found it in an extra file this afternoon, one that we hadn't looked through yet." He handed the image to the young man. "As far as we know, Steve, these are your parents. That's why the file said, anyway."

"Do I get a name?"

"I suppose you want an address, as well," Jarod spoke in mocking tones. "It's not quite that easy."

"That's all you know, Jarod,” the woman retorted. “It took you less than a year to find some of the members of your family. With no fear of pursuit, why shouldn't it take Steve less time?" Helen laughed. "Besides, he'll have your expert help as well, won't he?"

"If he wants it." The man scooped the last of the ice cream out of his bowl, eating it. "As you said, it took me a year. Surely that's too slow for someone who doesn't have other things to do."

The younger man was paying no attention, his eyes traveling over the two faces in the photo. He studied their eyes, his own moving from one face to the other and glistening with tears. Helen spoke softly.

"This is why Raines could never have succeeded. He could never completely remove a devotion to family. That's why Kyle would never have become as perfect as they wanted him to be." Helen glanced around the table. "That was also the reason that Jarod escaped, or one of the reasons. It was, unless I'm very much mistaken, also the reason that Miss Parker's loyalties changed. Not because of devotion to her father, but to her mother, or at least the memory of her." She looked at Sydney. "Am I right?"

"Completely," he agreed quietly.

"It's also the reason you were one of Jarod's main providers of information in the whole five year 'pursuit'. That's the same reason why Broots never called the Centre on the numerous occasions that Jarod's been in his house - because his devotion to his daughter wouldn't let him."

The psychiatrist nodded slowly before glancing at Jarod. "Just out of interest, and the fact that you were too sick to answer last time I wanted to ask it, why did you go to Broots' house that day?"

"It certainly would have been easier if you hadn't," Helen added.

"Why?" Jarod lifted his hands in mock-innocence. "Then you might not have been nice enough to get my mom."

"Oh, come on. You had your dad, your sister and your baby brother. That wasn't enough?"

"I'm a very demanding person," the man grinned. "I always want more."

"Yes, we've all spotted that one," Sam laughed. "At least, I certainly spotted it on my first day at the Centre."

As Jarod was about to respond, Helen interrupted. "So why did you go?"

"It was Debbie's birthday." The man sat back in his chair. "Ever since I helped Broots get custody of her, I've visited her on that day."

"Did Broots know?"

"No." Jarod shook his head firmly. "It was our secret. I convinced Debbie she shouldn't tell him."

# # #


Helen removed her napkin from her lap and put it beside her empty dessert bowl, leaning over to kiss the top of David's head as she headed to the bathroom. She walked into the ladies room and was just about to enter one of the cubicles when the door behind her opened.

"Uh, excuse me?"

The doctor turned in surprise, looking up at the woman who had followed her into the room. "Can I help you?"

"I suppose this sounds like a strange question, but are you related to the younger man sitting at your table?"

"Which one?"

"The one beside where you were sitting."

"As a matter of fact, no." Helen raised an eyebrow slightly. "Why, do you believe you know one of them?"

"The one you called 'Steve'."

"But you're not sure," Helen stated rather than asking, the germ of an idea in her mind, although she tried to suppress both it and the excitement that rose with it.

"I... we haven't seen him for a long time."

Folding her arms, the younger woman leaned against the wall. "If I was to guess, how would the date of March 19, 1972 sound to you?"

The woman's jaw dropped. "How did you...?"

"You kissed your son goodnight, tucked him in to bed and went in the next day to find the drawers open, clothes missing and the window also open. You went to the police, thinking he'd run away, but got home to find your house on fire. You panicked and fled, meaning that you never found out if the police had located him or not. As you were constantly hunted, though, you began to believe that Steve hadn't run away but had been stolen." Helen fought to hide her amusement, seeing the shock on the woman's face. "For twenty-nine years, you’ve been trying to find something - anything - that would tell you where your son would be, but you couldn't find anything, until almost eight years ago, when you first learned about the Centre."

"What do you know about that?" The older woman finally managed to demand. "Are you one of them?"

"If I were would we be standing here talking? Besides, I'm sure you saw on the news that it was destroyed." Helen gave a satisfied smile. "I was one of the people who helped with that. Your son was another. Why don't we go and tell him you're here, so he doesn't have to start hunting for you?"

"A...are you serious?"

"You must have recognized him. Why approach a total stranger if you're not sure? What gave you the first hint? His eyes? His voice? His name?"

"How did you know?" The woman's voice was a faint whisper.

"I knew about what you did from what Steve told me and also from reports we found in the Centre itself when it was in the hands of the police. I know how you feel, or at least I think I do, because I can only imagine that a mother would be able to recognize their own son, even after twenty-nine years, some instinct that tells them who he us." She glanced at the woman, seeing her pale face. "Please, I know this is a shock but, although I'm a doctor, I doubt either your husband or your son want to see you lying unconscious on the floor."

"And… you believe me?"

Helen reached into her pocket and took out another copy of the photo that Steve had been given, offering it. "You haven't changed all that much."

"Where did you...?" The woman grabbed the picture and stared at it. "Where did you get this?"

"It was in one of the files the Centre kept about Steve. I'm not sure why they kept it, but it seems to have been a habit. Still, it makes identification far easier in this case." She smiled. "I ought to have introduced myself. My name's Helen."

"I'm Justine." The older lady gingerly shook the doctor's hand. "And you might be right. I think that is my..." Her voice trailed away, tears starting to fill her eyes as her voice sank to a whisper. "It is my son."

"Shall we go and tell your husband? Then all of you can be reunited." Helen smiled. "And, believe me, your son's as eager for that to happen as you could wish." She put her hand on the woman's arm, steering her out of the restroom and towards her table. As they approached, she felt Sam's eye on her and shook her head. A faint nod was the only sign that her fiancé gave as he turned to the little girl who sat beside him, and Helen introduced herself to the unknown man at the table as she helped Justine into her seat.

"My name's Paul." He looked at the woman opposite in concern. "Is my wife...?"

"She's fine." Helen took the glass of water a waiter brought over, a hand resting on Justine’s woman's shoulder. "Something overexcited her, a thing," she eyed the man, " I believe the two of you were discussing before she talked to me just before." Helen nodded at her own table. "About your son."

"Our...?" The man glanced over his shoulder at the young man, who was laughing in response to a comment of Jarod's. "Are you sure, Doctor?"

"Please, call me Helen. And your wife is quite sure. It's that which has her slightly overwrought at the moment." She looked down at the woman. "Justine, you must try to calm down. It won't help if you can't speak to him." Helen offered the glass again. "Just a couple more sips and then we'll go over there."

The man was still staring at her, the hope that had been in his eyes fading quickly. "It couldn't be him. It's been so long..."

"But you knew that the Centre was destroyed and," she looked at the pictures of a child that were spread out over the table, "perhaps you were planning your own search for him." Taking the photo from the other woman's hand, she gave it to the man. "And neither of you are really all that different from the way you were then."

"It is him, Paul." Justine spoke softly. "I know it is."

"Even if it was," the man spoke in defeated tones, "he won't be able to remember either of us. Twenty-nine years is too long..."

"He was six when he was abducted," Helen reminded the man. "By the age of six, even average children have excellent memories, and your son is certainly above average." She nodded towards Jarod. "He was in a situation similar to your son, except that he was taken at four, but he still has memories of his parents." Helen looked at Justine, nodding in satisfaction. "Why don't we go over and find out?"

They approached the table so Steve's back was to the trio, and Helen put her finger on her lips in a way that kept those watching them quiet. She tapped Steve sharply on one shoulder, watching as he jumped before turning with a laugh.

"Trying to scare me out of ten years growth?"

"Just getting your attention."

"For what purpose?"

"They want it."

She stepped away, allowing the other two people behind her to be seen, and watched as his eyes widened. Slowly Steve stood, his seat moved to the side by Helen as she stood behind Ethan, keeping an eye on Steve's parents, but also watching the man himself. For several moments, nobody moved, as all those seated around the table silently watched the scene unfold in front of them. Finally, the older man stepped forward.

"Steve?"

His voice was soft, hesitating, as though afraid that the young man would disappear if he was too forceful. In his turn, the pretender also took a step forward.

"Dad?" He glanced at the woman and his eyes filled with tears. "Mom?"

His words broke the spell and the woman almost threw herself forward, hot tears streaming down her cheeks as she put both arms around him, and Paul embraced both together, tears also on his face. The silence continued until finally the older man glanced at the doctor.

"You were right." His voice cracked, but the happiness on his face left no doubt about his feelings.

"Your wife was right," Helen replied quietly. "All I did was use the limited details I had to confirm it."

"Thank you." He looked back at the face of his son. "Thank you much more than I can ever say."

"Sit down." She signaled to the waiter who immediately brought over two chairs. "Please, we’d love to have you join us."

Without argument, the two newcomers sat down on either side of their son as Jarod laughed.

"Steve, you look like you've come into a fortune."

"You looked exactly the same in Boston," Helen interrupted in amusement. "And I mean ‘exactly,’ right up until the moment you saw Sydney."

"Things did change somewhat afterwards," Sam mused thoughtfully. "Especially after Raines was turned into a human Bombe Alaska."

"Thank you, Sam." Sydney rolled his eyes. "I should have expected that to come up yet again."

"You're welcome, sir." He smiled, glancing at his daughter as Louise began nodding sleepily before looking up at Helen. "Might it be time to think about heading home?"

"Possibly." She glanced at where Michael slept in Ethan's arms before looking at David. "Shall we go, sweetheart?"

"Uh huh." He nodded, resting his head against her arm. "I'd like that."

Sam waved the waiter over. "The bill for this table and the other."

Nodding, the man hurried away, returning with the bills as the former sweeper took out his wallet. While he paid them, Helen glanced at Steve and his family with a smile. "Had the two of you just arrived or...?"

"We live around here." Paul looked at Steve. "We came here the night before he disappeared and thought it would be a good way to start a search for him."

"It's probably one of the quickest in history," Ethan joked.

Steve looked up at his mother. "Did I have spaghetti that night? And banana split for dessert?" He turned to his father. "I couldn't finish it, so you had the rest."

Helen raised an eyebrow in amusement as Paul nodded slowly before looking at her. "I think you were right."

"It sounds like it." She smiled. "I'm sure there are a lot of similar things that you'll want to catch up on.”

"I could fill in for you at work for a couple of days," Jarod added. "I'm quite happy to do so."

"Thanks, Jarod." Steve sent him a grateful smile. "I'll see, but I did take tomorrow off as well."

"I hate to break this to you, buddy, but you are meant to turn up with a degree of regularity, or you might not have a job for long."

"What, finding a family isn't enough of an excuse for not going?" He gave a quiet laugh. "Besides, I'm sure you could find me another one. Job," he added quickly, as he saw Ethan's mouth open, "not family."

"You take advantage of my good nature," Jarod grumbled, preventing Ethan from commenting on this. "Everyone takes advantage of me."

"Aw." Helen looked over at him in sympathy. "I feel so sorry for you."

"And that sincerity is almost as believable as your innocent look." Jarod rolled his eyes. "No wonder Sydney and his son told you to find something new."

# # #


Helen lifted the boy out of his car seat, watching as Sam gently took the sleeping girl in one arm and the baby in the other. After locking the vehicle, she walked around to take the baby boy out of his arms, letting him put his free arm around her shoulders as they walked into the house.

"A good night's work."

"A good day's work, too," she smiled, looking at David. "And a perfect result."

"You seem very good," he told her, "at reuniting families."

"Well, I seem to have done well with us." She laughed softly as they both went up the stairs. "If not reuniting one, then making it."

Sam watched from the doorway as Helen put Michael on the changing table and, after seating David on a chest of drawers beside it, put a clean diaper on the baby and then put on his sleeping suit before taking him over to the baby bed and lying him in it. After covering him, Helen picked up David again and followed Sam into Louise's room.

"Do you want to...?"

"Go ahead." She glanced down at David with a smile. "We'll watch."

Nodding, Sam gently took off the girl's clothes and put on her pajamas before laying her on the bed. Covering her warmly, he kissed the sleeping child’s forehead before walking over to the door.

"Are you going to put him to bed?"

"What do you want to do, baby?" Helen looked down at David, and he put both arms around her neck.

"Can I stay up until you go to bed?"

"For tonight, sweetheart, yes." She kissed him gently before leading the way into the living room again. Sitting down on the sofa, she watched in slight confusion as Sam reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box.

"What are you...?"

Sitting down next to her, he put a gentle finger against her lips. "I was going to give you this at the restaurant, but other things got in the way." Opening the box, Sam took out a ring and, picking up her left hand as David silently watched, slid the band on her fourth finger, watching as she stared at it.

"When did you buy...?"

"I didn't buy it." He kissed her. "Michelle gave it to me. It was your mother's engagement ring, and I thought you'd like it best."

"Mom's..." Helen's voice trailed off as she gingerly touched the shining solitaire in the gold band.

"You two were so similar," Sam stated softly, "that it just seemed right somehow."

"Does that mean you'll marry him now, Mommy?"

Both people laughed as the boy looked from one to the other.

"Yes, David," Helen replied, hugging him. "Yes, I will."

"Tomorrow?"

"Not quite that soon, David," Sam told him with a smile. "There's quite a lot to set up first, but then we will."

"And will we be there too?"

"Of course, sweetie." Helen kissed his cheek. "It's a special day for the family, and you're a part of that."

"Goody." He looked down at the ring. "It's pretty."

"Yes, it is." Helen leaned against Sam, gazing at the gem. "My father must have had good taste."

"He married your mother," Sam told her with a smile. "So that proves it."

"And you're marrying Mommy," David added. "So you must have, too." He looked doubtfully from one to the other. "That's good, right?"

"That's very good, baby." Sam kissed his fiancé and then their son. "And I think that you're right. I must have good taste too."

Smiling, Ethan glanced at Jarod, as the two men stood in the doorway before, in mutual unspoken consent, they turned and followed Angelo down to the cellar.
Epilogue by KB
Sleight of Hand
Epilogue



Lyneham, New York
"Debbie?"

"Hi Mommy!" The girl ran over to the car and threw her arms around the woman, who returned the hug with a smile. "Is everything ready?"

"Just about, sweetie. We've got to try things on again this afternoon, but then it's all going to be set for tomorrow."

"Are you excited?"

Helen laughed. "What do you think?"

"Probably."

The girl looked around as David and Louise ran up to the car, giving the woman hugs before scrambling into the back seat. Debbie sat in the front and Helen got in behind the wheel, driving the car away from the curb and heading for Ashe.

"Auntie?"

"What is it, sweetheart?"

"Susie was telling me today that when her mommy and daddy got married a year ago, they went away and didn't take Susie or her brothers with them. How come we're coming?"

Helen looked in the rearview mirror with a smile. "Sam and I wouldn't have nearly as much fun if you weren't there, baby."

"And do you get the wear the princess dress?"

"Did you like it, Louise?"

"It's like a picture in a book," the girl told her.

"It's going to look even better tomorrow, honey."

"How come?"

"Wait and see."

# # #


Helen picked up the little boy from his car seat and followed the children into the house, almost running into Sam, who stood in the doorway with a bag in his hand and a smile on his face.

"Just in time to say goodbye."

"I've never liked this tradition," Helen grumbled, returning his kiss. "And I'm not all that sure why we're following it."

"Hey, you're the one who wanted a traditional wedding," Sam reminded her. "And we'll see each other in less than twenty-four hours."

"I just have to cope until then." She hugged him. "Say hi to your mother for me."

"I'll do that."

Sam gave Michael a hug before giving the baby back and going to his car. With a final wave, he was gone and Helen carried the child into the house. Walking into the living room, she could see Louise standing on a chair with the dress for the next day already on, as Michelle made final adjustments. Helen looked at her aunt and shrieked.

"Get those pins out of your mouth! You'll probably swallow one, and then I'll have to perform an emergency appendectomy or something."

Choking down a laugh, Michelle acquiesced. "I'm sure you'd manage that, Helen, and you'd have plenty of people to assist."

"I still don't like the idea. I want you there tomorrow, not sleeping off surgery in a hospital bed."

"I always thought you were picky," stated an amused voice from the doorway and Helen threw a cushion at Steve as she sat down on the sofa and took David onto her lap.

"If I'd known you were going to become such a smart-alec, I'd have left you in the Centre instead of rescuing you."

"Angelo wouldn't have let you," Steve returned with a grin, picking up Michael. "If you don't care, he does."

"Who says I don't care?" Helen responded smartly. "But there are times when I'm able to remember with longing those peaceful days here on my own..."

"It's Jarod's fault that they came to an end," Steve answered with a laugh as the man shot him a glare from the doorway. "And you can probably also blame him for me being the way I am."

"I can blame him for just about everything," Helen laughed, handing David over to the older man so that he could try on the small tuxedo. "And I do exactly that, on every possible occasion."

"No, really?" Jarod commented incredulously. "Is that what the attitude is?"

"And they call you a genius," Helen snorted.

"Actually, they call me a lawyer," Jarod laughed, pinning up the hem of the pants, a tape measure around his neck. "I haven't heard that other title for a while now."

"You're really looking forward to that day in court, aren't you?"

"You betcha," he told her with a grin, laughing again as she rolled her eyes.

"How many times do I have to ask you not to say that around my children so they don't pick up the habit?"

"Would you like the figure or was that a rhetorical question?"

Helen sent a glare at Sydney as he sat opposite her. "Did you have to teach him to be this irritating?"

"No, it was inherent in him from the first. Besides, I don't know what you're complaining about," the psychiatrist replied with a smile. "You've only known him six months. I had to put up with it for thirty-three years."

"So I should be impressed that you're still sane - is that what you're suggesting?"

"Hey!" Jarod protested indignantly. "That's not at all kind!"

"It's my wedding eve," Helen told him. "I can be as unkind as I like."

"Besides," David put in, "you're mean to Mommy all the time, Jarod, even if it's only fun, so she should be able to be mean back!"

"Quite right, sweetie," Helen agreed. "But if he's mean to me today, I'll get so upset that I won't be able to come tomorrow and then Sam would get angry." She eyed Jarod with a grin. "And he can be quite scary sometimes."

The man snorted. "I knew it was a mistake to let that bit of information slip."

Biting off a length of thread, he slipped it through the eye of a needle before helping the boy to carefully take off the black trousers and beginning to tack the hem. David got down from the chair and ran over Helen, scrambling up into her lap again and looking at her.

"Mommy, when will you put your dress on again?"

"In the morning, baby. It's finished and I don't want to risk anything happening to it when I try it on."

"How come you still call me ‘baby’?" the boy complained. "I'm your oldest."

"No, you're not," Helen reminded him. "You're still younger than Debbie." She put out an arm and hugged the girl sitting on the footstool. "Besides, David, even when you're Jarod's age and older, you'll still be my baby."

"My parents still call me that," Steve told David with a smile, "so Helen will too, for a long time to come."

David rolled his eyes. "I don't think I can cope."

"What did I say would happen if you imitated Miss Parker?" Helen asked him with a grin and the boy shrieked, scrambling off her lap and running to hide behind the psychiatrist's chair.

"And what's wrong with a person imitating me?" interrupted a voice from the doorway.

"Nothing," Helen told her firmly. "Unless the person is my son and a five-year-old boy." She stood up to hug the woman and her father. "I can cope with the attitude in you, Miss Parker, but if David does it, I'm reminded of your second cousin, and that's the stuff nightmares are made of."

"Do you want me to finish this?" Jarod demanded, waving the pair of black trousers, staring in astonishment as Miss Parker walked over and took them from his hands.

"I'll do it. You can use the time to come up with a couple of snappy comebacks that are anywhere near the ones Helen uses on you."

"Since when can you sew?"

"Since I got taught," she replied calmly, sitting down beside Ben on the sofa. "And since my dad reminded me how much my mother enjoyed it when she was in Maine."

"I never thought I'd see the day," Jarod muttered, standing up. "Steve, do you want to help make dinner for the army that seems to have gathered here?"

"Is that just so they don't see you fainting from shock?"

"Something like that."

# # #


Margaret did up the zip of the white dress and stood back to let Michelle firmly fix the short veil in place before adding the wreath of flowers. Both women stepped back to admire the end result.

"You look beautiful," Margaret told Helen with a smile and Michelle was forced to blink a few tears away.

"You look almost exactly like your mother did on her wedding day."

"I know," Helen replied softly. "That's why I chose to wear your dress instead of having a new one made."

"You were right, Auntie," said a young voice from the doorway. "You look even prettier than when you put it on last time."

"Thank you, sweetie." Helen eyed the little girl with a smile. "You look very pretty, too, you know."

"Do I look pretty, too, Mommy?"

"No, David," she told him. "Boys don't look pretty. They look handsome."

"Will Daddy look like that when we see him?"

A faint smile curled Helen's lips. "I think he just might, sweetheart."

"Shall we go down to wait for the car?" Michelle suggested, picking up Louise, as David ran over to Margaret.

"Is everybody down there?"

"Well, Jarod and Steve left several hours ago to make sure that Sam doesn't get nervous about you not turning up or something." Margaret laughed as Helen grinned, "But we sent Miss Parker, Debbie and Jon down the moment they were dressed, so they'll be down in the living room, with Sydney. Everyone else is at the church, or will be soon."

"Charles doesn't mind that I asked Sydney to give me away instead of him, does he?"

"Of course not," Margaret assured her. "After all, Sydney's going to be a relation-by-marriage in a few weeks, whereas we're still only adoptive family."

"Two weddings in four weeks." Michelle rolled her eyes. "We should, by rights, be broke."

"It's a good reward for all our hard work," Helen told her, kissing her aunt as they walked out onto the landing. "We deserve it."

# # #


The car pulled up in front of the large Catholic Church and Helen used Sydney's hand to get out, straightening her dress with fingers that would tremble no matter how much she tried to stop them.

"You're not nervous, Helen?"

"You're not sarcastic, Sydney," she replied with a small smile. "Don't you love irrational fears?"

"Most of them are," he told her, offering his hand. "But this probably isn't the best time to discuss it, unless you prefer that to getting married."

"Only if Michelle and I can do the same in a month."

"And then I'll feel the same way that Sam is now." Sydney looked at his watch. "Well, we're now five minutes late, so why don't we ease his tension and get this show on the road, okay?"

"How very considerate," she remarked, going up the steps to the church and through the doors to the vestry.

Helen eyed the five people that, other than herself and Sydney, made up her half of the wedding party, watching as Miss Parker got them into order and then gave the sign for the music to begin. The two younger children led the way, followed by Jon and Debbie, Miss Parker and then, much to Sam's relief, he could see Sydney and Helen walking up the aisle towards him. He was unable to suppress a sigh of relief and saw the grin that Jarod shot in his direction.

"I told you she wasn't that unreliable," Steve murmured and Ethan was forced to choke down a laugh.

The former sweeper didn't respond, his breath caught in his throat as the others moved aside and he could see his future wife. Helen's eyes were trained on the stairs in front of her as she went up them, but finally she looked up to meet his gaze, and he smiled, reaching out for her hand as she came to stand beside him.

# # #


"Smile!"

There was no need for the flash, the summer day being so fine, as the photo was taken, and then Helen picked up Louise as David scrambled to his feet.

"What now, Daddy?"

"We're going home quickly to get changed, David," Sam told him, "and then we'll go to the party."

"Will there be ice cream?" the child pleaded.

"Considering who's overseeing the catering," Helen commented with a smile, "I'd say that's rather likely."

The wedding party got into the two cars that waited at the gate and headed back to the house.

"Mommy?"

"Yes, sweetie?" Helen looked down at the boy sitting opposite her in car. "What is it, David?"

"Are we 'fficially a family now?"

"Officially and legally," Sam stated, entwining his fingers with his wife's. "There's nobody who can change it."

"Good." The boy gave a relieved sigh. "And so will Angelo visit next door with Broots and Debbie while we're on vacation?"

"That's right, honey," Helen told him. "And then, when we come back, he'll come and live with us again."

"So he's part of our family, too?"

"Yes, David," Helen replied softly. "He's certainly earned that."

"And will he be happy now?"

Sam glanced at Helen with a smile. "I think we'll all be happy now."


The End
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=2166