It's Ok to Cry by Devils Child
Summary: A young girl is discovered with an interesting Centre history, that links Miss Parker and Jarod in ways they couldn't imagine.


Categories: Post Season 4 Characters: Jarod, Miss Parker, Original Character, Sydney
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 26113 Read: 19604 Published: 20/05/05 Updated: 20/05/05
Part 1 by Devils Child
Disclaimer: I wrote this story for fun. Don’t sue me Blah, blah, blah, blah. You know the drill.
Author’s note: 1)Angel is sung by Sarah McLachlan. I don’t know who it’s written by, but I’m not taking credit for it. 2)DON’T SUE ME!!! 3) I’m only 12, cut me some slack!





It’s Ok To Cry
part 1
By Devil’s Child






Billy Bob’s Song and Dance Club

“OK, one more song. This one is for a friend of mine. Well, I wouldn’t exactly call her a ‘friend’ because she doesn’t know who I am, but I know her, through a friend- if that makes any sense. She just went through the loss of a loved one, and is- not doing so good. So, this song is for her. It’s called Angel.

Spend all your time waiting,
For that, second chance,
For a break that would make it ok.
There’s always one reason,
To feel not good enough,
And it’s hard at the end
Of the day.
I need some distraction,
Oh, beautiful release,
Memory seeps from my veins,
Let me be empty,
Oh and weightless and maybe:
I’ll find some peace, tonight.

In the arms of the angel,
Fly away, from here.
From this dark, cold hotel room,
And the endlessness that you fear.
You are pulled from the wreckage,
Of your silent revery
Your in the arms of the angel,
May you find, some comfort here.

So tired of the straight line,
And everywhere you turn,
There’s vultures and thieves at your back.
The storm keep son twisting,
You keep on building the lies,
That you make up for all that you lack.
It don’t make no, difference,
Escaping one last time,
It’s easier to believe,
In this sweet madness-
Oh, this glorious sadness,
That brings me to,
My knees.

In the arms of the angel,
Fly away, from here,
From this dark, cold hotel room,
And the endlessness that you fear.You are pulled from the wreckage, of your silent revery-
You’re in the arms of the angel,
May you find, some comfort here.

Your in the arm of his angel
May you find, some-comfort,
Here
Oh oh oh


“Im sure she knows who she is, who this song is meant for. Good night everybody!”

Kala said good night to her fans, and headed off stage. She knew Miss Parker would find her, and ask her what the song meant. She was sure Jarod would be gone, but her was always full of surprises, so you never knew what he was going to next.

The club slowly emptied out, people saying their goodbyes, planning on meeting again next Thursday. Kala could hear the manager talking into the mike, trying to hurry everyone out so he could go home to his wife and kids. Always the same.

She walked down the halls to the back room where her stuff was stored. Bob, the manager came up behind her.

“Great job, Kay- excellent performance.” He slapped her lightly on the shoulder and she jumped.

“Don’t scare me like that, Mr. Evans!” Kala turned around to face him, a slight smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

“Oh, sorry Kay. I do that every time don’t I?” He chuckled.

Every Thursday it was always the same. She’d come do her set, then go pack up her stuff, Mr. Evans would came sneak up on her, and even though she knew it was coming, she was always startled.

“It’s alright, Mr. Evans. I’ll live.” She smiled at him. “I can close down the club if you like. I’m sure your anxious to get home to your son.”

“Oh, really? You know, that’d be great! And, speaking of Billy, I hate to ask you this, but could you watch him next Thursday before your performance? I’ve got some big new’s-caster-hot-shot coming and-”

“I’d love to! Don’t worry, I’ll keep him out of your hair.” Kala interrupted him gently.

“Thanks!” He muttered. “My wife’s going out of town and- you know.” He smiled at her warmly.

“One o’clock ok?” She called after him as he hurried down that hall. He looked back over his shoulder and called to her.

“Yeah! That’d be great! Thanks again, Kay!” He ran down that hallway, to catch the bus to take him home.

Kala turned her attention back to her packing and continued. A few moments later, she heard the sharp sounds of high-heels hitting the ground.

Here go’s! She told herself.

The noise stopped at the door and a knock sounded. Kala took a big breath.

“Come in, Miss Parker!” She called her back still to the door. “It’s unlocked!”

She heard the squeaking as the woman entered. Kala turned around to meet her.

“You know my name.” The woman stated.

“Yep!” Kala chirped. “Jarod talks to much.” She smiled, remembering how he always blabbed about anything, nothing. “And, high-heels are a dead give away!”

“You know Jarod?” Miss Parker asked, still standing at the door.

“You can come in you know. It may not be the prettiest place in the world, but it’s not toxic!” She laughed.

“I wouldn’t be so sure” Miss Parker mumbled, coming into the room a few more steps.

“I’m going to ignore that last remark, and pretend you didn’t say that. Jeremy does a fine job taking care of this place. And in answer to your earlier question, yes I do know Jarod. He stayed with me at my place for a while. He’s gone now. Left this morning. Sweet man, but very strange. He didn’t know what a yo-yo was!” Kala frowned as she remembered this then laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Miss Parker asked in response to this sudden outburst.

“Oh, I was just remembering how he started out with it. He got himself all tangled up in it! You should have seen him! He could have drug himself back to The Centre! But then again- that’s your job. Isn’t it?” Her face clouded and her voice dripped with sarcasm.

“You know about The Centre?” Miss Parker asked, astonished that Jarod confided in someone about that subject.

“Yeah, I do.” She replied flatly, and left it at that. “I’m assuming you came here to talk to me about something?” She raised her eyebrows in suspicion.

“That song you sang-what was that all about?”

“That was about, I don’t know. You’ll have to ask Jarod that question.” She shrugged her shoulders.

“Jarod? Why?”

“Oh, because he told me to sing it for you. Said you’d know what it means, and that I’m not supposed to tell you. He said you’d figure it out.”

“Typical Jarod! Playing games with my head!” She stormed.

“I don’t think so. He said you two grew up together. Then he kept mumbling something about radios and Angels. He wouldn’t make up his mind which he wanted to talk about!” She explained. “Like I said-strange man.”

There was a moments pause before Kala spoke again.

“You look just like her! I just noticed that!” Kala exclaimed.

“Like who?” Miss Parker hissed.

“Your mother.” she responded simply.

“You couldn’t know my mother.” Miss Parker said sadly.

“Don’t be so sure about that.” Kala grinned, and pulled something out of her bag. “Jarod gave this to me.” She said, showing Miss Parker a picture. “He said I look like you. And, I must admit, he’s almost right,” she mused.

“What do you mean?” Miss Parker asked, tearing her eyes away from the picture.

“Well come here!” Kala grabbed Miss Parker’s hand and pulled her over to the full length mirror. Besides being different heights, they looked almost exactly the same.

Miss Parker gasped.

“Told ya!” Kala yapped, staring into the reflection.

“You think that’s a coincidence?” Miss Parker asked, still staring into the mirror.

“‘Coincidence’ ain’t in The Centre’s dictionary.” Kala scowled, and moved away from the mirror and back to the bench, where she continued to pack her things.

“You think The Centre had something to do with this?” Miss Parker came and sat by her.

“Don’t they always?!” Kala exclaimed.

She flung her bag over her shoulder and stood up.

“I have to go now. Freddy’s probably starving.” She walked toward the door.

“Wait!” Miss Parker called, and ran to catch up with her. “You said, something about you knowing my mother. Is that true?”

“Only if you want it to be.”

“What does that mean?” Miss Parker was determined not to let this piece of her past walk out the door.

“I’ll explain it to you sometime, but right now, I have to go.” She opened the door and headed out into the parking lot, then out of sight.

***

Miss Parker’s house
431 Mountain Springs Road, Blue Cove, Delaware

Miss Parker sat on the sofa, staring blankly into the fire. Even though it was so early in the day, with the thunder and lighting, and the hail, it wouldn’t have made a difference if it were midnight. Suddenly there was a knock on the door, snapping Miss Parker out of her musings. She thought she heard something, but no, there it was again!

She got up off the sofa, and headed for the door.

“What kind of lunatic comes out here in the pouring down rain- excuse me, hail!” she noted after looking out the window, “with lighting and thunder!” she hadn’t realized she was talking, as she opened the door. A shadowy figure stood at her door step, soaked.

“Who the hell are you?” Miss Parker looked the figure up and down.

“I’m nobody. Who are you?”

“I don’t have time for games-”

“Yes, but this isn’t a game. This is life. Take it or leave it.”

“Would you please cut to the chase before I slam this door on you?” Miss Parker asked sarcastically,

“Now, didn’t your mother teach you any manners? That’s no way to treat a guest.”

“I’m closing this door now.” Miss Parker started to shut it.

“OK. I guess you don’t want to know what really happened to her do you? Ok, Ok, Bye!” The figure stepped off the porch.

“Wait! How do you know my mother?”

“I told you, I’d explain it to you sometime, didn’t I?”

“Kala?” Miss Parker asked, realization hitting her.

“Yep!”

“I-I’m very sorry come on it.” She held the door wide for the girl to enter.

“Ok!” Kala came back on the porch, but before she entered, took off the soaked coat at pinned it down with a heavy rock, so the strong wind wouldn’t blow it away, and entered the house.

“Your dry!” Miss Parker exclaimed, seeing no water dripping off her onto the rugs.

“I guess the cloaks they make these days’ really do the job don’t they?” Kala ginned.

“Would you like some tea?” Miss Parker asked, heading into the kitchen.

“Sure.” Kala said, as she offered her a glass. “Thanks.”

Miss Parker lead the way to the living room and sat down, quickly covering up the shirt that had belonged to Thomas and stuffing it under a pillow. But she wasn’t fast enough.

“I knew him.” Kala said sadly, as they sat down together.

“Who?” Miss Parker asked.

“Thomas.”

Tears sprung to Miss Parker’s eyes, and she tried desperately to hide them.

“It’s ok, to cry, Miss Parker. The whole world doesn’t revolve around strength, and power. Some of the happiest moments are in tears. It’s ok to cry.” Kala whispered, setting down her tea and gently placing one hand on Miss Parker’s.

Parker closed her eyes and willed the tears away, but they wouldn’t go. She finally gave in and let them stream down her face.

“That’s another unresolved issue we have to discover.” Kala said determinedly.

“What is?” Miss Parker wiped away a tear, just as another rolled down her face.

“Finding out who really killed Thomas.” Anger flashed in her eyes, and they looked almost as evil as the storm outside.

“But how?” Miss Parker whispered.

“By digging up a little dirt on The Centre, see what it is they’re really up to.” Kala hissed.

“How do I know I can trust you?” Miss Parker asked wearily.

“Because,” she started, then got up and walked around to the other side of the couch, and brought forth the shirt that Thomas wore all the time. “he did.”

***

Feedback: Loved it? Liked it? Hated it so much, you plan to steal Miss Parker’s 9mm and shoot me with it? (Please don’t to that literally!) Let me know!!
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=1882