Concrete Angel by DOTLP
Summary: We can't change the past -- only live with it. But our past can still influence the decisions we make which can change the future. And it all starts with a phone call about a death.
Categories: Post IOTH Characters: All the characters
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Romance
Warnings: Warning: Character Death
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 17997 Read: 13458 Published: 23/04/05 Updated: 22/10/06

1. Concrete Angel by DOTLP

2. Chapter 2 by DOTLP

3. Chapter 3 by DOTLP

4. Chapter 4 by DOTLP

Concrete Angel by DOTLP

Disclaimer -- Don't own them. Neither do I own the poem used herein. It is the work of my friend, Shannon Roberts, and has been used with her express written permission...though she's not as old as the story suggests.

Timeline -- Up to and including IOTH

A/N -- Baby Parker does not make an appearance in this fic. According to me, he has died since the problems he had breathing were never rectified. Raines' remedy worked for a few months and then, stopped. After that time, baby Parker sadly took his last breath. Also, this will NOT be from Miss Parker's point of view although it might seem so from the beginning. The descriptions in this are purely the work of my imagination. The places spoken of (with the exception of Antigua) are fictitious; so don't tell anyone that these places exist the way I've described them...especially Texas. You'll just get in a lot of trouble. That should be all. Now, on with the show!

Additional A/N -- (Like you really care, but I'm the one writing this...so there! How's that for justification?) The inspiration for this fic came partly from the song that you will read in part one and my usual jog on the beach. Also, if this seems like anyone else's work, I am truly sorry. It was completely unintentional. NOW, without further ado...the story!

 

Concrete Angel
Part 1

by DOTLP

 

"Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone,
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings,
And she flies to a place where she's loved.
Concrete Angel."
[Martina McBride; Concrete Angel]

======

        It was where some people went when they wanted respite from the world they knew. For others, it was a place to escape their past; to remain hidden from the eyes of the outside world. On an island in the sun known as Antigua and on a nearly deserted beach known only as Jabberwok was where she could be found, if anyone cared to look.

        On the stretch of soft white sand where only a motley group of six adolescents were happily playing a game of cricket in the late afternoon sun, she allowed the warm, gentle waves of the Caribbean Sea to beat against her tense body as she nestled
herself in the wet sand. It was then that she realised that nightmares never vanished with the advent of daylight. At most, they just dimmed. And in the calm and natural beauty that surrounded her, she dared to remember what had brought her to the paradise she was in; she dared to remember the nightmare that had been her life. The life she escaped two days ago.

======

        It had been a week since the man she had called 'Father' her whole life had jumped from the plane, taking with him the scrolls."They found his body," she said after replacing the phone in its cradle. "It washed up on one of the little islands near Scotland. It'll be here tomorrow morning," she ended, her voice lacking any emotion. "We're to meet with Raines and Lyle in the morgue tomorrow morning at ten."

        Sydney glanced at Broots only to find him looking at his shoes, at a loss of what to say. The psychiatrist sighed and voiced the question neither of the men wanted to, afraid that she might explode at them. "Are you alright Miss Parker?"

        "I'm fine Freud," she replied wearily.

        "You should take the day off to mourn the loss of your father," he continued.

        "To mourn the loss of my father," she repeated. A bitter smile curved her lips. "Syd, maybe you haven't realised it, but I just don't know anything about my family history anymore. I don't even know who my father is. I refuse to accept Raines."

        "That may be so Miss Parker, but you loved him when you thought he was your father. It shouldn't change the way you feel about him now." He silently added, 'Although how and why you loved him are still beyond me. He doesn't deserve the love you have for him.'

        "Get back to work boys. We still have a Pretender to catch," she ordered, ignoring what the psychiatrist had said. "And
Broots?"

        "Yes Miss Parker?" answered the technician meekly.

        "The second you find anything, you report it to me and me alone. Got it?"

        "Yes." He left her office and headed to his work area.

        "You know, you won't be able to avoid the issue for long," the psychiatrist continued.

        "Please Sydney, just spare me the psychobabble for once."

        "You know where I am when you want to talk." He got up from the chair and headed to his office, sadly shaking his head. He had no idea why Mr. Parker had to add more pain to the already troubled woman. He didn't know how much more she would be able to take before cracking under the weight of it all. 'I hope you know you don't have to bear it alone, Miss Parker.'

======

        The next morning she strode through the halls of The Centre looking every bit like 'The Ice Queen' as she made her way to the morgue. She entered the cold room and joined Raines, Sydney, Broots and Lyle who were standing around a metal table.

        "Now that my daughter is here, we can begin," wheezed Raines. He motioned for Lyle to remove the white cloth that covered the body on the table.

        She cringed inwardly when Raines called her his 'daughter' and diverted her attention to what Lyle had uncovered. The corpse on the table was a pallid shade of blue and small holes marred his skin. Apparently, some small sea creatures found him worthy enough to be their meal.

        Broots muttered, "I think I'm gonna be sick." He covered his mouth and swallowed hard, trying to keep the contents of his stomach from being shown to all present.

        Miss Parker reached for the clip-board hanging on the side of the table and read it quickly: 'Cause of death: drowning'. She replaced it.

        "Damn shame," said Lyle as he looked at the body that was once a powerful figure at The Centre; that was once the father he never really knew.

        "My brother will be missed. His funeral will be held tomorrow." Raines turned around and left, dragging his life-giving tank behind him.

        Lyle nodded. "Sis, gentlemen? If you'll excuse me, I have some business to attend to," he declared on his way out.

        Miss Parker barely registered what they said. She was lost in her own thoughts. 'How is it I feel no sorrow for his death? He was my father...well, the man I knew as 'father' my whole life.'

        She tentatively placed her hand on his cheek and shuddered from the iciness of his body as she stared into his lifeless eyes. 'Maybe I did love you once, before Momma was killed. Sad, really. You became more distant when I needed your love the most. I resented you for that. But I still had the desire to please you, just so I could hear you say "I'm proud of you Angel." I guess I was searching for a replacement for Momma through you. But you never loved me the way Momma did. Momma loved me for who I was. But I only earned your respect when I became as calculating as you. And yet, a part of me still wanted your respect and your love. And a small part of me still cared for you, even when you didn't return it. Does that even make sense?'

        Sydney stood watching her with his hands tucked in the pockets of his dark trousers. "Does what make sense Miss Parker?"

        She didn't even realise she had said the last part aloud. "Nothing," she brushed off.

        "Miss Parker, maybe you should take the day off," said a concerned Broots. He thought she was beginning to lose her mind. He couldn't blame her. Just thinking about where they worked and what they saw made the technician tremble.

        After replacing the white cloth over Mr. Parker's body, she took a few steps away from it to join the other members of her team. "I'm fine Broots." She placed her hand reassuringly on his shoulder. "I'm fine." She walked out, giving the two men no other choice but to follow her.

======

        The turn-out to the funeral was small. What else could have been expected from a man who had no friends and many enemies? Lyle and Raines and a few of their sweepers were gathered around the grave as Mr. Parker's coffin was being lowered into the ground. Broots and Sydney accompanied Miss Parker just to support her even though she insisted that they needn't go with her. Broots' insistence had surprised her and in the end she gave in.

        She had decided that morning to take Sydney and Broots' advice and informed them that after the funeral she was going home and didn't want to be disturbed unless there was a lead on Jarod. "And Broots? Don't get too comfortable while I'm away. I'll be back tomorrow," she had warned the technician lightly with a faint smile.

        Heaven's tears continued to fall and kept a rhythmic beat going as it splashed on their umbrellas. Broots glanced around only to find that no tears were shed on Mr. Parker's behalf. It seemed that the only ones that realised something, usually of a sad nature, was happening were the dismal grey clouds as they wept over the dreary cemetery.

        Just as quickly as the ceremony began, it ended and the few attendants went on their way. Life went on. Work went on. And the world kept spinning...even for Miss Parker, who had lost her world many times over in the forms of her mother, Faith and Tommy. She was surprised that the one she had aimed to please the most wasn't the centre of her world.

        But deep in her heart she knew that she never had loved him. It was the fear that she would have no one to love as her own after her mother had been killed that made her try to please him for so many years and made her trick herself into believing that she really did love that cold, heartless, scheming man. And if she ever needed proof that she never really did love him, it was right there the day she saw his body lying on the cold metal slab and had no tears to spend on him.

        The short drive to her house was spent in comforting silence. She parked her car and hurried inside her home, eager to be out of the rain. As soon as she entered, she sensed something was different. Deftly removing her gun from the small of her back, she silently made her way around her house, checking each room only to find them empty. Satisfied that she was alone, she sat down on her couch. She noticed a note on the table weighted down by a velvet box. She knew her instincts had been correct. Frankenboy had paid her a visit.

        She wearily reached for the piece of paper. Written in Jarod's neat script were these words:

Spears of solid icy light
cascading clouds so bright
Heartbreak beauty undenied
by unrefined immortal sight.
Cold creeps uninvited in
dripping sin soaked skin
Heaven's downpour wash me clean
of each and every fault of men.

        She remembered that that had been one of her mother's favourite poems and she would read it to her when she was a little girl. It had been a long time since she had heard it. Trust Jarod to dig up her painful past along with his. Had it been four years ago, she would never have analyzed the meaning behind the note. But times had changed, and she found herself analyzing everything readily and quickly as if it were something she had been born doing. And in many ways, she had been. After all, she was a Red File.

        If there had ever been a time when Jarod had chosen something extremely appropriate to the situation they were facing, it was now. Those eight simple lines reminded her of everything that had transpired on the Isle of Carthis, everything she had found out...about herself and about her relationship with Jarod. She remembered all too well the cold night with the terrifyingly beautiful lightning; the pain she felt at finding out her horrible family secret; the bone-chilling cold she felt from the icy rain that soaked her skin and from her new-found knowledge; how much she wished the rain would wash away all the atrocities her fore parents had committed; the undeniable attraction they both felt for each other.

        Sighing, she placed the note down and picked up the little box. Opening the lid, a delicate chain of silver with an exquisite pendant of a silver angel with opened wings sat proudly on the soft, dark, blue velvet material. With an expression of awe, she removed the beautiful object carefully from the box and examined it closely. Turning it over, on one wing she found inscribed a 'C' and on the other a 'P'. That could only mean one thing. The necklace had belonged to her mother: Catherine Parker.

        She stroked the treasure tenderly as tears threatened to blur her vision. With shaking hands, she unclasped it and placed it around her neck. She stood up and decided to take a shower. Once beneath the massaging tepid spray of the water, she let her guard down and did what she seldom allowed anyone see her do: she cried -- for the life she was now forced to lead and for the life her mother never had the chance to live.

        She emerged half an hour later from the bathroom dressed in her silky maroon pajamas and shrouded by a cloud of steam, feeling better than she had for the entire week. Grabbing the book she had been attempting to read for the past month, she snuggled up on the sofa, looking forward to a quiet evening. She flipped to chapter one, deciding that after such a long hiatus from the novel and not remembering the exact details, she needed a refresher course.

        Seven minutes later and two pages into chapter three, the phone rang, rousing her from the carefully constructed world of the Sidney Sheldon book. Angered that she had told them to call her if there was a lead on Jarod, she answered the phone with an annoyed, "What?"

        "How was it?" asked the subdued voice on the other end.

        "Not that bad. Funerals seem to have become a trend in my life," she said morosely. "Though I don't miss him. I haven't even cried for him." She never planned on telling him that, but the words just came tumbling out and she could do nothing to stop them. It was one of the few times she could remember having a real conversation with him.

        She didn't even worry that The Centre would learn of their conversations. She knew Jarod better than anyone, and knew that anytime he visited her house, he considered it his duty to remove any audio or visual devices they planted. And he had been there earlier that morning. Not to mention she performed that job herself, religiously, every week. She could not understand why The Centre continued to do so, when they knew that the devices were always removed and destroyed.

        "I don't think that surprised you."

        "No, it didn't. But the poem and necklace did. Where did you find them?"

        "Let's just say that your mother loved keeping safety deposit boxes," he answered playfully. "I found it a few months ago while doing a pretend."

        "Why did you send it to me now?" she queried softly.

        "Because of 'Heartbreak beauty undenied by unrefined immortal sight.' You deserve some peace of mind and beauty. We both do.'

        He left her with the dial tone ringing in her ears. She placed the phone down and lovingly fingered the angel necklace. 'We both do,' she silently agreed, as she returned her attention to the novel.

======

        It wasn't even twelve o'clock yet and she already started developing a headache. 'This day just keeps getting better and better!' she thought sarcastically as she propped her feet upon her desk and started massaging her temples. She had just returned from a pointless hour-long meeting with her 'father', Raines, and had been warned again that only the person who captured Jarod had a place at The Centre. To top it all off, her brother was parading around the place acting more smug than usual. She had to get to the bottom of it...and fast.

        She heard her air vent grate jiggle free, followed by a soft thud as Angelo quickly eased himself onto her floor. He stooped by her chair and held her hand gently.

        "What is it Angelo?" she asked kindly.

        "Daughter sad about mother. Daughter worried too," stated the empath. He reached into his pockets and pulled out a DSA, placing it in her hand. "About Lyle. Help daughter help Jarod," he whispered in her ear, then scurried away into the highways he knew so well, replacing the grate softly.

        Holding the disk between two fingers, she turned it around, looking at it as the light reflected off the silver coating, creating a rainbow illusion. Picking up her pen, she scribbled a note and went in search of the psychiatrist she secretly regarded as a
father.

        She entered his office and silently handed him the note. He glanced at her with a puzzled look before opening the note and reading it: 'Sydney, get Broots and the two of you meet me at the little diner about twenty miles from here at twelve. I believe
it's called Maude's Cafe. This is urgent.' He looked up again only to find himself alone. The digital clock on his desk displayed 11:27. Sighing, he got up and grabbed his jacket wondering what was so important that Miss Parker didn't want The Centre to know. Two minutes later he found the balding computer expert and showed him the note.

        "This seems serious Sydney. She doesn't even want them to hear," he softly said, pointing his chin at the cameras mounted on the wall in his work area.

        "Then let's go," urged the psychiatrist.

        Twenty minutes later the two men pulled into the dusty little road-side diner's parking lot. Broots was the first to spot Miss Parker's car and a minute later, the two headed for the entrance. Broots remarked, "This isn't exactly up to Miss Parker's dining standards, Syd."

        "I know. All the more reason I'm worried about what she discovered." He pushed the glass door open and was greeted by the burnt meat aroma mixed with cheap lemon cleaner only found in fast food places. Through the hustle and bustle and hum of the little place, he saw Miss Parker seated in a round booth tucked into a dark corner of the diner. She caught his eye and
motioned for them to join her.

        The two men slid in on either side of her. "What was so urgent Miss Parker?" voiced Sydney.

        Taking a deep breath, she launched into her explanation. "Angelo gave me this this morning." She brandished the little disc in her hand, and continued. "He said it was about Lyle and Jarod. I haven't looked at it yet, but we're all going to now." She
picked up her silver DSA case beside her on the seat and slipped the disc into the player, placing it on the table so all could
have a clear view.

*`````*

        The date on the screen was two days ago in Lyle's office. He picked up the phone after the first ring. It seemed as if he had been waiting for it. After several seconds he asked "Four days from now?" He stood up and started pacing his office, phone still pressed against his ear.

        "Jarod's mother and sister will be where?" He hurried over to his desk and grabbed a pen. "So that's dock four in Galveston, Texas?" He seated himself back in the chair as he listened to what the other person had to say. "You're certain they'll be there at four thirty?" He hung up five seconds later, a satisfied grin on his face. "Just need the right bait to trap the Lab Rat," he said happily.

*`````*

        She ejected the disc after the screen faded to black. Both men looked at her and saw anger and hatred burning in her eyes. "So that's what he meant when he said he had some 'business' to attend to. I knew that filthy excuse for a human being was up to no good," she muttered darkly.

        "What...what are we going to do?" stuttered Broots. As much as he admired her, he was still terrified of her when she had that look in her eyes.

        "Get there before Lyle does and help them escape," she replied. "He's going to kill them whether or not he captures Jarod and I'm not about to sit back and watch two innocent people die by the hand of my demented twin."

        Broots broke into a relieved grin. "You never really wanted to capture Jarod, huh? That was some excellent pretending on your part. Always wanting to drag him back and threatening to shoot him...no wonder The Centre never thought you would let him escape on purpose," he rambled.

        "Broots! If you ever tell this to anyone else, I'll cut your tongue out myself with a red-hot dagger. Understood?" she
threatened.

        "Yes Miss Parker," he grinned.

        Sydney watched the scene in amusement. He had always suspected Miss Parker's harsh words against Jarod to have been a ruse on her part. His suspicions had proven correct over the years. He remembered how she had tried to rescue Jarod's clone and how worried she had been when she found out that Bartlett wanted to kill Jarod. And he had always known that she and Jarod had deeper feelings than they ever liked to admit. Miss Parker wasn't the only one who had read 'The Saddest Little Valentine'. He also noticed a subtle change in both their voices since they returned from The Isle of Carthis, and only those who knew them well enough would ever realise it. "Miss Parker? Why the sudden change of heart?"

        "It's about time I stopped missing turning points," she told the older man as she lightly touched the pendant of the angel resting against her chest.

        Sydney smiled when he saw what her hand touched. He recognised it as the present he had given Catherine for her thirty-first birthday. He assumed she had just received it from Jarod, since it was the first time he had seen her wear it.

        Miss Parker continued, "Listen. Here's what we're going to do. Since I don't want Lyle to know that we're going to follow him, we'll leave a false trail using The Centre jets. Sydney, I want you to call in the next two hours and tell the jets to be ready to go to Vermont today. We're following a lead on Jarod which you'll create Broots. That way, if 'sweet little brother' wants to know where we are, he can check the flight schedule. Then when we're in Vermont, Broots, charter a flight to Galveston. And pack lightly boys. Destroy this DSA Syd," she ordered, handing him the disc. "See you in two hours." She closed her player and stood up, ready to leave. Sydney moved out of the way to let her pass. Without another backward glance, she was gone.

        "She really has changed, hasn't she Syd?" he asked in awe.

        "No. She hasn't changed. She's finally being herself," he replied grinning. The two men left to perform the tasks assigned them.

        Eight hours later they were in the air heading to Galveston, Texas. They just hoped they would reach there and be able to help Jarod's mother and sister escape before being harmed by Lyle.

        Six and a half hours later, the irritatingly up-beat voice of their pilot announced, "We will be landing in the next fifteen minutes. The cabin crew will be making their last rounds to collect any garbage you may have. Please ensure your tray tables are stowed away and your seats are in the up-right position. We would also like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to fly with Sue's Air Charters and hope that you enjoy your stay in Texas or wherever your final destination might be," she finished, attempting and succeeding in imitating an air hostess.

        "God! Now I remember exactly why I don't do commercial flights," Miss Parker muttered, earning amused grins from her companions. 'And does this woman ever shut up?' Miss Parker had seriously considered jumping from the small six-seater plane many times during the incessant chatter of 'good ol' Sue'.

        Miss Parker and company gratefully left the confines of Sue's metal bird after retrieving their luggage. The trio rented a car, then found a motel close to the docks. The un-kempt, overweight, middle-aged man who checked them in, found Miss Parker very attractive and made no attempt to hide his interest. After receiving the keys for the two rooms, Miss Parker sent him a withering glare. In a low, dangerous tone she said, "If you don't quit ogling me like that, my fist in your face would be the last thing you'll ever remember seeing. Do I make myself clear?" The man nodded mutely and swallowed hard. "That's a good boy."

        She picked up her bag, turned on her heel and went in search of her room. Sydney and Broots quickly caught up with her and retrieved the key to the room they were to share. Chuckling, Broots said, "I guess it's safe to say you won't ever want to date him, huh?"

        "Would you?" she retorted. Without waiting for an answer, she said, "Here it is. Room twelve. Yours is eleven. Get lots of rest boys. You'll need it before tomorrow is through." After fighting a victorious battle with the door, she pushed it open and felt around for a light switch. After flooding the rooms with a nauseating yellow glow, she sighed in disgust, "Anytime it comes to Rat Boy, I end up sleeping in a roach motel!"

        The two men entered their room after ensuring she was in hers, shoulders shaking slightly after hearing what Miss Parker had to say about the decor of the motel-room. Broots plopped on to one of the double beds, a thoughtful look on his face. "Why is she helping Jarod now?" he asked the psychiatrist.

        "She always has been helping him. This is the first time we're seeing it openly," he replied after a while.

        "I sure hope she knows what she's doing."

        "I'm certain she does. When it comes to Miss Parker, she always has a plan. Jarod tends to under-estimate her at times and she knows it. But she's never used it to her advantage. Mr. Lyle under-estimates her also. He'll regret making that mistake
tomorrow."

        "I'm sure he will, Sydney. I'm sure he will," he said placing all his confidence in Miss Parker. He turned the lights off and they settled in for a night of well-earned sleep.

======

And now, for the three most dreaded words in fanfiction: TO BE CONTINUED.

Anyway, that was part one. Tell me what you think...is it worthy to be continued? Or should I just trash it? Tell me what was wrong and what I could do better with. Send all comments, criticisms, flames my way at j_angelgadd_amt@hotmail.com

They will be more than welcome and appreciated. Or, leave a review by hitting that little square button right there in the left corner.

Chapter 2 by DOTLP

A/N -- Thanks for the feedback. It's the most I've ever received for any of my stories -- it's a wonderful feeling. And for those of you even remotely interested (as if!) about Zoe's fate...Here's how it happened in my mind. As much as I would have liked a slow, painful death for her, Jarod and Zoe came to a mutual decision to not see each other anymore since it would only endanger Zoe's life. Especially since Zoe threw a tantrum about being kidnapped. So she would not make an appearance in this story at all. But if you prefer the slow, painful death idea, by all means, go with it!

 

Concrete Angel
Part 2

by DOTLP

 

"Honesta turpitudo est pro causa bona (Latin) -- For a good cause, wrongdoing is virtuous."
[Publius Syrus; Roman Philosopher circa 100 B.C.]
as used by [Robert Ludlum; Sigma Protocol]

======

        "It's rather deserted here," observed Sydney.

        "Most likely why Jarod's sister and mother decided to come here. Works to Lyle's advantage too."

        "I don't see any sign of them anywhere."

        "Calm down Broots! We probably won't be seeing them for another hour. Now remember what you and Sydney have to do. You have to take care of Lyle's henchmen. Leave my evil twin to me."

        "Miss Parker," began the technician uneasily, "I'm still not certain about using a gun."

        "Relax, you don't have to shoot them if you don't want to. They'll have to come from that direction," she said, pointing over Broots' shoulder, "since there isn't any other way to get onto this dock. You can both hide behind the crates over there, then wait until they pass, sneak up and then knock them out. Just make sure they're not going to be able to help Lyle."

        Broots turned around and took a moment to survey the area. He saw the two huge piles of crates and boxes on either side of the wide wooden dock, creating a shield from any prying eyes on the other side of the fence. The metal gate to the dock swung to and fro in the gentle breeze. Thirty yards from the gate and across the beaten, muddy track that served as a road, stood a concrete warehouse.

        He turned his attention back to her. Still fidgeting, he started, "But I can't..."

        She cut in, already having lost her patience. "Broots! It's not a difficult thing to do. Now, are you going to repay Jarod for
helping you gain custody of Debbie or not?"

        His mouth was hanging open. "But...how did you...I never..." he stuttered.

        "I know more than people give me credit for," she shrugged.

        Chuckling, Sydney walked over to his shocked friend and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I told you," he simply stated.

        Looking down at the gun in his hand, Broots made up his mind, and with more resolve than he felt, he told them, "I'll do it. For Debbie and for Jarod."

        Forty minutes later the two men were standing at their posts and Miss Parker just stood watching for the small boat that was to bring the women of Jarod's family. Her vigilance was rewarded when three minutes later a speed-boat, heading for the dock she was on, made an appearance. It pulled up to the wharf and a woman quickly jumped out, securing the heavy ropes to the posts. A few seconds later, another older woman stepped out to join the younger woman, their backs turned to Miss Parker.

        "Margaret, Emily."

        Both women started after hearing their names and turned about quickly. Margaret gasped and said, "You. You look just like her."

        "So I'm told," Miss Parker replied.

        "We're not going with you to that place," stated Emily.

        "I don't even want to be there. Why would I take you two?"

        "Because you chase my brother all the time and try to take him there," she spat.

        "Listen lady! I could've shot your brother on numerous occasions and taken him back to that god-forsaken prison. And he's still alive isn't he? And free."

        "Ease up Emily," said Margaret, draping her hand around her daughter's shoulders. "So, why are you here?"

        "To warn you..." Her words stopped immediately after hearing an unmistakable male shout. Miss Parker turned around only to see her brother rushing down the path leading to the gate, gun drawn, followed by two of his men.

        Miss Parker whipped her gun out and sprang into attack mode. "That he's trying to trap the two of you and use you as bait to get Jarod back," she continued in a hurry. " Now get the hell outta here!" She motioned with her gun to their boat. "Go!"

        Both women wasted no time in getting back to their boat and Emily quickly untied the ropes. As the boat was pulling out of the dock, Margaret shouted to Miss Parker, who was waiting for her brother to reach her. "Why are you helping us?"

        "Does it matter?" she shouted over her shoulder.

        "Yes!"

        "For Momma," Miss Parker replied. "Now go, or I'll shoot you myself!" she growled. She heard the roar as the motor came to life and the two women raced away.

        She silently cheered for both men on her team as she saw them knock out the only two men Lyle had brought with him.

        Lyle's foot-falls resounded loudly off the pier, and all the while he shouted "Stop them!" He stood six feet away from Miss Parker when he finally reached her. Both of them trained their gun on the other. Lyle was the first to break the silence, his anger rising to the surface. "You were supposed to be in Vermont. How the hell are you here?"

        "You leave very obvious clues Hannibal. Plus, DSAs tell a world of stories. And I was in Vermont."

        "You let them get away!"

        "So? You have a problem with that?" she spat venomously.

        "Yes. But it will soon disappear when I get you out of my way." He released the safety of his weapon and shot Miss Parker three times in the chest. At the same time, she shot him squarely in his forehead, and another bullet pierced his chest as she fell backwards.

        "Miss Parker!" Sydney and Broots shouted as they raced towards her fallen form, ignoring Lyle's lifeless, bloody body just a few feet away from her.

        Broots took one look at her and then turned in anger to face the man who had placed three bullet holes in his friend. He stalked towards him and stood over Lyle's corpse. "You bloody bastard!" he whispered vehemently as he kicked him several times in his gut. "If you weren't dead already, I would have killed you with my bare hands!"

        The psychiatrist knelt down and gently felt Miss Parker's neck, searching for a pulse. It was strong. "Thank God!" he softly breathed as he brushed the hair away from her closed eyes. "Broots?" He turned to see the balding man placing some expert kicks in the lump that was once Mr. Lyle. "No matter how much you kick him, he won't feel it. Miss Parker is fine. Her pulse is strong. I think you should call an ambulance."

        "Not necessary. Miss Parker happens to be alive and," she glanced at what Broots was doing, "kicking. Spock, kindly help me to my feet." The old man obliged. Only then did Sydney notice the curious lack of blood.

        At hearing her voice Broots stopped and ran to crush Miss Parker in a hug.

        "Let go of me if you don't want to resemble my twin!" she reprimanded with a chuckle.

        Broots let go and grinned sheepishly. "It's just that I'm glad you're okay."

        "I told you already I wasn't going anywhere."

        "Miss Parker?" interjected Sydney. "How did you..." he trailed off, his hand flicking back and forth between Lyle and Miss Parker.

        "Simple," she replied as she started to undo the buttons of her blue shirt, only to reveal a bullet-proof vest. "Knowing Lyle, he would have just shot me right in the chest, never stopping to think that I was protected. Which was unfortunate for him."

        She walked over to his still form and stooped down. She watched with satisfaction as blood ran down the side of his face and mouth, forming a pool on the weather-stained wood by his ear. Lifting his hand, she felt his wrist, then dropped it after finding there was no pulse. With a grim smile, she said, "Never underestimate me."

        She motioned for the two men to follow her. "Let's go. Broots you'll drive the limo."

        The two gentlemen caught up with her. "Uh, Miss Parker? Are we just going to leave Lyle there?" asked Broots, a slight quiver in his voice.

        "Yes. Those two worthless guys," she started, pointing at the two sweepers as they passed them, "will take care of it when they wake up. On second thought...Broots, hand me your gun. Can't risk these men squealing that we were helping Jarod."

        Broots handed it over. "Miss Parker, can't we just tie them up and let them starve to death?"

        "No. There's always a possibility that they would get loose. Dead men tell no tales, so it's safer for us like this. It's all a matter of survival: either them or us." She shot both men in the back of their heads twice, then tossed the gun as far as she could, hearing the clunk as it hit the murky water.

        Sydney watched her eyes as she died a little more with the lives she had to take. The last time he saw that haunted look in her eyes was when she was a little girl and found out about the apparent death of her mother. He strode over to her and grasped her hand, giving it a comforting squeeze, then let go. "What now Miss Parker?"

        Taking a deep breath, she answered, "Call a clean-up team. Then we head back to the motel, grab our stuff and move on to Blue Cove. And we use The Centre jets this time. I've had just about enough of Sue to last a lifetime."

======

        No funeral was held for Mr. Lyle or his two henchmen. Their bodies were taken back to The Centre and cremated within three days.

        After the cremation, the trio was summoned to Raines' office.

        Raines' back was facing them as he stood, looking out the window. They seated themselves in front his glass-topped desk, Miss Parker in the middle.

        Turning around, he fixed them each with a searching gaze. "Miss Parker, please explain to me why three Centre operatives are now dead."

        In a detached voice she replied, "I had made plans to capture Jarod's mother and sister to use as bait to lure him back to The Centre. His freedom in exchange for theirs. A trusted source found out that they were going to be in Texas, so we went there. I was handling the situation perfectly. Jarod's mother and sister had no idea I was behind them. Since the whole 'run in with guns blazing' routine wasn't working so far in capturing Jarod...I thought I'd use a much quieter approach.

        "I would have been able to knock them out and they would have been here at this moment being used as bargaining chips. That was going to happen, until that moron of a brother raced in shouting 'Stop them!' and alerting them that they were in danger. They hopped right back into their boat and raced away, before I could knock them out. Since they would be no use to us dead, I had no other choice but to let them go."

        "I see," said Raines, thoughtfully rubbing his chin and taking a seat behind his desk. "Then you turned on Lyle and shot him in a rage of anger at having lost a chance at capturing Jarod once and for all?"

        She shrugged. "He was starting to piss me off. When it wasn't him screwing up my chances at getting Jarod it was Brigitte. Now they're both out of my way and I can secure my place at The Centre," she finished nonchalantly.

        A thin smile crossed Raines' features. "I had expected that more from Lyle. Good to know that The Centre's interests are still your own." He looked at the two men. "And you two can vouch for the truth of this?"

        They both answered him with a 'yes'.

        Finally satisfied, he dismissed them. When Miss Parker neared the door he said, "If I ever find out that your loyalties lie with Jarod and not The Centre, you will suffer a fate similar to your brother's."

        She turned around and stalked to him. Placing her hands on his desk, she sent him an icy glare and said coldly, "If you ever threaten me again, I'll be certain to take revenge for murdering my mother. You might be my biological father, but nothing
more, and I'd gladly kill you myself." She left him in his office fuming.

        Silently, the trio made their way back to Miss Parker's office. A few seconds later a young man knocked and handed her a box. It was addressed to her in Jarod's handwriting. Opening it, she found three Pez-containers with plastic heads of Broots,
Sydney and herself. "Broots, Sydney. Catch," she said after removing them and throwing them their rightful Pez-containers.

        "I'm not that bald," Broots said after catching his own.

        "Is there a note with this?" asked the psychiatrist, amusement shining in his eyes.

        "Yes. It says: You deserve something sweet. Jarod."

        "That's it? No cryptic clue?"

        "Nothing else." She turned the box upside down and shook it to emphasise her statement.

        After tidying up a few files on her desk, she told them, "Boys, I'm heading home. Keep searching for Jarod and call me if it's important." She walked close to the two men and whispered, "We still have a masquerade party to put on for them." Her eyes flicked towards the cameras mounted in her office.

        The two men nodded and watched her leave with her Pez-container in her hand. Broots and Sydney played with their treats as they headed towards Broots' work area.

        "What do you think Jarod meant by that note, Syd?"

        "Somehow, I don't think it was meant for all of us. I think it was just for Miss Parker."

        "Something happened on that island. I wonder what it was."

        "So do I Broots, so do I." After a while he continued, "I'm guessing that what happened has them both seeing things a lot
differently now."

        "If you ask me, I think their feelings go a lot deeper than they'd like anyone to think. Did you read that book Jarod wrote for her? And when I went to give her some information when Bartlett was trying to kill Jarod, she had this far-away, concerned look on her face."

        "I know what you mean," said Sydney, remembering what he had heard her say to Jarod's clone on a DSA.

======

        The ringing of her phone roused her from her sleep as she reached to answer it. "What?" she greeted while switching on her bedside lamp and sitting up, bracing her back against the headboard. She blinked a few times until her eyes adjusted to the
light.

        "Thank you."

        "Excuse me?"

        "I said 'thank you'. That is the customary response one uses when another does something nice for him, is it not?" he asked playfully.

        "You had to choose to tell me this in the middle of the night?"

        "Old habits die hard. Dad told me what you did for Mom and Emily. For me. Ethan says to tell you hello."

        She reached for the Pez-dispenser by her lamp and popped one of the candies in her mouth. "How is he?"

        "Good. The voices aren't bothering him that much anymore. What did Raines have to say about your shooting Lyle?"

        "How did you know?"

        "Sydney."

        "Figures. Raines pegged it down to sibling rivalry. You'd be surprised at how sticking close to the truth provides a very plausible cover. I just used Lyle's plan as my own and...that was it. Besides, it's The Centre. Someone's always dying."

        "I've noticed."

        She put another one of the candies in her mouth. "You know, Pez isn't that bad," she said before she hung up.

======

        A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he remembered the conversation he had the night before with his Huntress. "You're not that bad either Miss Parker," he said softly.

        "You know, you really shouldn't be talking to yourself," commented Ethan as he walked into the room Jarod was currently using as his lair.

        "This coming from the guy who hears voices."

        "I didn't ask for it," he said laughing. "Anyway, you're lucky Miss Parker saved your mom and sister."

        "I know," said the Pretender, a big grin on his face. "I know. Anyway, Mom and Emily found Dad and my clone. Dad e-mailed me two days ago. Said he always knew Miss Parker was more like her mother than the cold-hearted woman she pretended to be after Mom and Emily told him what she did for them."

        "Where are they?"

        "They're in Texas. About forty miles from where Mom and Emily were going to dock their boat before Miss Parker told them to get the hell outta there or she'll shoot them herself. I'm quoting on that."

        Ethan laughed. "Sounds just like her. So when are you going to see them?"

        "After I do one more pretend."

        "You mean after you get Miss Parker out of The Centre. And Broots, Debbie, Sydney and Angelo," he counted off on his fingers.

        "You're too smart for your own good."

        "I can't help it. Besides, it was easy to figure out. Your eyes always light up when I mention Miss Parker, ever since you came back from Carthis. What happened there?"

        "Let's just say that Miss Parker and I both found turning points."

        His half-brother raised his eyebrows in confusion. "Care to clarify?"

        "No." His laptop beeped before Ethan could interject. It was a video phone call. "Hey Dad, Mom, Emily. Ethan come over here. "Are you sure this is safe?"

        "Ninety-nine point nine per cent certain, son. They shouldn't be able to trace it." said the Major.

        Ethan walked over and grabbed another chair, placing it next to Jarod. He sat down and asked, "Where's Ryan?"

        "Well, apart from looking exactly like Jarod, he loves junk food just as much as Jarod. He's in the kitchen searching for ice-cream," answered his father.

        "Miss Parker really risked her life saving us from The Centre. Changed Emily's opinion of her a lot. She's willing to defend Miss Parker now, instead of cursing her. She certainly is a remarkable woman," stated Margaret.

        "Yeah, Miss Parker sure is," Jarod agreed, a dreamy look coming over his face.

        Major Charles, his wife and daughter all shared knowing glances. Ethan looked at him sideways, a sly smile playing on his lips.

        The Pretender shook his head slightly, then asked, "What's so funny?" after noticing the smiles on their faces. He turned to Ethan. "Care to clarify?"

        "To quote you, no."

        "I'll tell you," said Emily. "You're in love with Miss Parker." They all laughed at the shocked expression on his face. "What? You thought we wouldn't know?" asked his sister.

        "When can we look forward to having you with us?" asked his Mom after her laughter died down.

        "After I do one more thing. Then I'll come and we'll disappear from The Centre's eyes for the rest of our lives."

        "In other words, you'll be getting Miss Parker et al out of that place," stated the Major.

        "What is it? Does everyone know what I'm planning on doing?" asked Jarod.

        "We do today! Especially where it concerns a certain leggy brunette." teased his sister.

        "Take care," he said before ending the conversation, his cheeks turning a peculiar shade of red. Ethan just laughed loudly. "Shut up," pleaded Jarod, punching his brother lightly.

======

        It had been two days since he had heard Miss Parker's explanation concerning the death of the three Centre employees. He was still mulling over her answer. "Definitely more than an act of rage. She's not the power-hungry type, so it can't be that she only wants to secure a place here," he muttered. "I'll soon find out." He picked up his phone and summoned Willie to his office.

        There was a knock on his door in less than five minutes. "Enter," called Raines.

        "Yes sir?" asked the sweeper after he was standing before his superior.

        "Willie, I want you to keep a close eye on Miss Parker and her team. I have a gut feeling that there's more to Lyle's death than a mere tiff. You know how we deal with disloyalty."

        "Yes Mr. Raines." Willie turned about and left, leaving the old ghoul to himself.

======

        "Miss Parker!" exclaimed Broots after barging into her office, Sydney on his heels.

        "What Broots? And why are you wearing that shirt? I thought I told you to get rid of it. It makes me nauseous."

        He glanced at his Hawaiian print shirt. "Well, yes you did. But that's not important now. We have a lead on Jarod. He's in a little town in Virginia."

        "Then let's go. Sydney, get the jet ready."

        "Already did that Miss Parker," stated the psychiatrist.

        Four hours later they stepped into the little shop Jarod had been working at: AJ's Rough House. Sydney and Broots brandished Jarod's photograph and asked the standard questions while Miss Parker looked around. She was only paying minimal attention to what the owner of the store had to say.

        "Yes, that helpful young man was here," said the old woman. "And handsome too. If I had been a bit younger I would have asked him out already."

        "What did he do when he was here?" continued Sydney.

        'What else does he ever do Spock?' Miss Parker silently asked as she moved along the aisles looking at all the outdoor sporting equipment the store had to offer. Finally at the back of the store, she spotted a red notebook on one of the dark wooden counters. She picked it up and flipped it open only to find the usual assortment of newspaper clippings. The headline on the first clipping read: Woman accused of drug-smuggling. She turned to the last clipping entry. Scanning the article, she quickly learned that the store-owner's name was Aggie James and that all charges against her had been cleared. The clerk she had working with her -- one Jason Bellows -- was running a small-time drug smuggling ring.

        He had confessed to planting incriminating evidence in one of her shipments and then giving an anonymous tip to the authorities. Another anonymous phone call took the police to an abandoned warehouse where an unconscious Bellows had been found bound to a chair. The tape with his confession had been left on an old crate a few feet away from where he was found. The police were still at a loss as to who helped clear Aggie Smith's name.

        Miss Parker's shoulder's shook with silent laughter at the thought of Bellows' predicament. 'Only Jarod.' A piece of paper fell from the book in her hand and landed on the counter. She picked it up and un-folded it. In red, Jarod's neat block-letters stood out against the white paper: Miss Parker, meet me at 11p.m. on Friday in front of the Statue degli Angeli at St. John's Cathedral. You should have no difficulty in finding it. It's only forty miles away from you. Come alone. It's important. Jarod.

        She quickly folded the note and tucked it in her coat pocket, her interest piqued. 'I guess I'll find out in four days.' She found Broots and Sydney chatting about the different types of fishing lines and tackles with AJ. "Let's go. He's long gone," she said, handing the red notebook to the psychiatrist.

        "It was nice meeting friends of Jarod's. Come back soon, you hear?" said AJ to the trio.

        "I think that was meant for you Syd. Did you see the way she was looking at you?" asked Broots.

        "Back to The Centre Broots," he replied, ignoring Broots' remark. Miss Parker merely chuckled.

======

That was part two. Still want to know what happens? Or do you think it should be thrown in the garbage? What was good? What was bad? What could've been done better? Tell me at j_angelgadd_amt@hotmail.com or click the little lilac button. I live on feedback.

Chapter 3 by DOTLP

A/N -- I apologise for the mushy part in this fic. If you gag, I'm sorry. But it had to be in here in order for the plot-line to work. Don't get me wrong! I have absolutely nothing against romance. I just feel that I never do that part justice when I write it. You be the judge. I also apologise for the crappy formatting in part two. I had set it out perfectly, but, again ff.net screwed it up.

Additional A/N -- It is a very difficult thing to do -- trying to please everyone. That's why I don't. *grin* Therefore, I make no promises to gemini006007 and NLD-diva, although your encouraging remarks are much appreciated. The most I can hope for is that you would find reading the rest of this story as enjoyable as I found writing it. I'd also like to thank Claire Hilpert for her wonderful words. You'll never know just how much they meant to me.

 

Concrete Angel
Part 3

by DOTLP

 

"Those are the sounds of a heart breaking.
You can't hear it,
But the noise is killing me."
[Alan Jackson; The Sounds]

======

        "So tomorrow night's the night you're gonna see Miss Parker?" questioned Ethan. They had taken up residence at a run-down motel just ten miles from the meeting point Jarod had given Miss Parker.

        "Yes. I think I'm gonna ask her to come with us...if she's willing."

        "I think she will. She's already helped us out so much. She had tried to save Ryan. She helped save me from that sub-way train. She prevented Margaret and Em from becoming Centre bait and property of Lyle. I believe her heart's ready to accept being loved."

        "I hope so."

        "So, do you need me to come and provide some moral support tomorrow?"

        "Thanks for the offer, but no. I'd prefer to do this alone." Jarod saw a wicked smile form on his younger brother's face.

        "You just want to be alone with her, so you could..." he wagged his eyebrows suggestively. "Suit yourself." He dodged a pillow Jarod flung at his head.

======

        Miss Parker looked up at the concrete towers of Saint John's Cathedral which stood in the middle of seven acres of land. It really had stood the test of time. The arched oak doors were closed, but a faint, flickering glow from many lit candles spilled on to the ground, lending it an ethereal air. She watched in awe at the stained glass windows -- some showing Mary and baby Jesus, the rest chronicling the life and death of Christ.

        A particular one caught her attention. The expert placement of white glass mingled with yellow created a beautiful picture of an angel. The rays of yellow shining down on his brown hair and the small fragments of blue used for his eyes left her breathless.

        The loud rumble of thunder and flash of lightning brought her back to the reason she was there in the first place. 'Wonder Boy had to choose a night that promised a storm, didn't he?'

        The rustling of trees above her was a comforting sound in the deserted place as she made her way alongside the hedges of the small labyrinth to her left. Her hand strayed to the small of her back where she felt the reassuring pressure of her Smith 'n Wesson nine millimetre through her calf-length leather coat. Somehow, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being followed. She just pegged it down to the deserted surroundings and an overactive imagination -- after all, she did work for The Centre.

        The distinctive sound of dry twigs snapping startled her and she spun around quickly, gun drawn, only to find that a startled raccoon dashed across the path. Relief flitted across her features as she replaced her gun. 'Get a grip Parker. Can't keep thinking that everything you do jeopardises your life.' She took a deep, steadying breath, then turned around to continue her search.

        Five minutes later she spotted a dark form leaning casually against a statue twice his size. A flash of lightning briefly illuminated the area and she saw his face break into a relieved smile after seeing her.

        In the few seconds it took to walk the forty yards to meet Jarod, she took note of the Statue degli Angeli. Two angels with outspread wings stood on either side of a sphere representing the earth. She was filled with admiration for the person who had given such an exquisite life to what was once a block of granite.

        "So, what was so important that you had to drag me all the way out here in the middle of the night, not to mention an impending downpour?" demanded Miss Parker when she was facing him. She noticed that his hair was trimmed since she had last seen him on Carthis. It was around the length he had when Sydney had hypnotised him to give her the message her mother had given him. It took every ounce of her willpower not to run her hand through his hair.

        He smiled at her expected outburst. His smile widened even more after he saw the angel pendant around her neck. "To thank you for saving Emily and my mom," the Pretender responded.

        "We've been through this already. Remember? You woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me."

        "I didn't thank you properly. Here." He took a chain from around his neck and placed it in her hand.

        Miss Parker looked at it and asked, "I don't particularly go for these types of chains, but what's the key for?"

        "It opens a safe in Dovertown National Bank. The number is on the key. I figured since you're actually helping me and going against The Centre's wishes that you don't want to be trapped in that cage any more than I do. I think you're finally ready to fly away from there. And in that box you'll find your wings. It's new identities for you, Mr. Broots, Debbie, Sydney and Angelo. You can all disappear from that place for the rest of your lives and they'll never be able to find you."

        She was speechless for a moment. And in that moment Jarod thought he had taken it a step too far by asking her to abandon everything she ever knew.

        She spoke softly, looking directly in his eyes. "Thank you." A soft smile played on her lips as she placed the key in her pocket. "There isn't a thing you haven't done yet is there?" she asked quizzically, her head tilting slightly to the left.

        In the ephemeral glow of the forked lightning he saw her eyes twinkling. It was a look he hadn't seen since she was a little girl and they used to run off together on forbidden adventures. He thought she never looked more beautiful than at that moment and he dared to do what he had only thought of doing since sitting near the warmth of Ocee's fireplace. In a low voice he answered her: "I can think of one thing I haven't done yet." He dipped his head slightly and gently placed his lips against hers.

        Miss Parker was shocked. After a moment, she responded. She had no idea how happy she made Jarod with that small action. As though drawn to him by the invisible, yet palpable, force of a magnet, she stepped closer to him until their bodies touched. She was finally able to run her hands through his soft hair as their kiss deepened. Jarod wrapped his arms about her waist, holding her securely against himself, fearful that if he let go he would wake up with just the memory of her lips against his and the faint scent of the Chanel perfume she wore.

        The clouds could no longer hold their tears back. This time, they were tears of joy. With a flash of lightning and a crack of thunder, the downpour began, soaking the two people in a matter of seconds.

        Miss Parker chuckled against his lips and broke their kiss for some air, her arms still wrapped around his neck.

        "What's so funny?" questioned Jarod, his hands possessively placed on her hips, his breathing just as ragged as hers.

        "This. Us. I stop pursuing you and in less than a month you're in my arms. Had I known this approach would have been so successful, I would've done this years ago and been outta The Centre."

        "It's a good thing for me you didn't or else I wouldn't have been able to walk after you hand-cuffed me. My knees are still wobbly. Do you know you still taste like cinnamon and apples?"

        She raised her eyebrows in question.

        He quickly rushed to explain. "Remember when you came to visit me and I was re-assembling the parts of the body and then you told me that girls mature faster than boys and then you..."

        She pressed her lips against his, silencing him.

        After they broke apart, he exclaimed, "Yup! That was what happened next. Although that kiss was never as passionate as this."

        She laughed -- for the first time in a long time she really laughed. That was the best sound Jarod had ever heard. He pulled her against his body enjoying the feel of her laughter against his chest and rested his chin on her head, inhaling deeply. He could never get tired of the way her hair smelled of chamomile and sunflowers. It smelled the same way when they had almost kissed in Ocee's shop.

        "You know, this is quite funny. We're both soaked to the bone and dripping, but I don't care. I don't remember ever feeling this happy."

        "Me either," he agreed. "Since we seem to be getting along a lot better now, would you consider coming with me and my family?"

        "Are you sure your family would accept me? I haven't exactly won any awards for Miss Congeniality."

        It was his turn to laugh. "After that stunt you pulled, they have only good things to say about you. Emily had wanted to kick your ass -- although I don't think she would've won -- and now she's ready to defend you tooth and nail. Judging by Emily's reaction, I'd say they all accept you. Dad, mom, Ethan, my clone...they have nothing but respect, admiration, love and loyalty to show you. It's quite difficult not to after you saved their lives."

        "In that case, I accept."

        Jarod let out a whoop of excitement and spun her around several times. After placing her back on the ground he re-captured her lips, kissing her deeply. "You have no idea how happy you've made me tonight," he said, resting his forehead against hers, breathing heavily.

        "Oh, I think I do," she retorted, grinning.

        Reluctantly, he let her go, already missing the warmth of her body pressed against his. "I'll let you go to take care of the others, then I'll meet you at the place I chose for you. You'll have to stick to the plans you'll find in the bank. Sydney won't mind taking care of Angelo." He kissed her cheek then turned around and started walking away. "I'll see you later," he threw over his shoulder.

        He had taken no more than two small steps when the unmistakable sound of three gunshots were heard over the fat drops of rain as they splattered on the ground and the loud grumbling of the thunder. He fell forward and hit the muddy ground, three holes in his back.

        She gasped sharply and a silent "No!" passed her lips as she quickly knelt by Jarod's side. Miss Parker pulled her gun out instinctively and looked towards the general direction of the shots she heard. She fired several rounds blindly into the woods she had walked out of. Self-preservation had taken over. She would be no use to Jarod if she too were wounded.

        In the few seconds the sky gave light, she saw Willie turn around and run away, a gun clutched in his hand. She took aim and fired, hearing only a click. Cursing, she threw her weapon on the ground. 'Of all the times for the clip to run dry!'

        Her attention turned to the fallen man. She rolled him over on his back, her hands coming away soaked with blood. His face was contorted in pain, his eyes glazed. A streak of blood ran down the left corner of his mouth.

        Miss Parker grasped his hand in one of hers and used her free hand to stroke his face. "Don't you dare die on me!" she commanded in a forceful, but pained tone.

        He tried to speak. She leaned her face close to his lips to hear. "Miss Parker...please live for me...for us."

        "What the hell are you saying? You're gonna get out of this scrape just like all the other scrapes you've been in," she told him decidedly. "Who else is gonna be the pain in my ass?"

        "Promise me," he feebly pleaded.

        "Fine...I promise. But you're gonna live," she said, her voice cracking. "Why the hell didn't I bring my cell?" She started searching Jarod for a phone, but his hand squeezed hers softly, stopping her from completing her task.

        "Don't have it."

        "Great!" she ranted in frustration and hopelessness, her eyes welling with tears.

        "I love you." The pressure Miss Parker had felt on her hand was gone after he spoke his last words.

        Miss Parker wordlessly closed his eyes and placed a gentle kiss on each eyelid. Silent tears mixed with the drops of rain running down her face. She clutched his shoulders, face pressed closely to his, and sobbed. The wind whipped the rain all around the two bodies huddled on the ground, as though the loss of her new-found love didn't sting enough.

        Ten miles away, her half-brother bolted upright in his bed, with no other thought than something was terribly wrong with his sister. It was one of the strongest promptings he had ever received; one of the times his mother's voice was the loudest among all the others; one of the times he had ever dreaded finding out exactly what was wrong...especially where it concerned Miss Parker.

        He rushed out of the room and made his way to Saint John's Cathedral in less than fifteen minutes, heedless of the speed limit. Ethan hopped out of the vehicle and ran quickly. He didn't know exactly where he was going, but he knew he was drawn by the pain he felt from his sister. Racing down the same path his sister had travelled, he stepped out of the woods, dripping, his clothing sticking to his body.

        A flash brightened the area and he spotted a huddled mass near what he assumed was the Statue degli Angeli. Sprinting the last few yards, he knelt down beside the figure. Horror crept onto his face when he saw his half-sister slumped over Jarod, her shoulders shaking violently.

        His throat tightened with tears and he laid a comforting hand on Miss Parker. She looked up at him and through the tears said, "Those bastards killed him."

        He pulled her off of Jarod and hugged her tightly. She gratefully fell into his comforting embrace and the two shared each other's pain.

        After several minutes Ethan said in a shaky voice, "We need to get him out of here and we need to get you dry."

        Miss Parker nodded mutely and with some difficulty the two carried Jarod's body with them to the jeep Ethan had used to get there. They placed Jarod in the back of the four-wheel drive vehicle.

        Ethan opened the door to the back seat and rummaged around in the bag Jarod had left inside. He called Miss Parker over and ushered her into the jeep. "Take this," he stated, handing her a white shirt. "You can change into something dry before you get pneumonia. Here's a towel. I'll wait outside."

        Not forgetting to be a gentleman, he turned his back and allowed her some privacy. 'Those sons-of-bitches are going to pay! They don't think they've done enough evil. They had to kill the only brother I got the chance to know. And then they hurt Miss Parker. She's been hurt her whole life. The moment she finds some peace, they shatter it.' The rapping on the window broke his thoughts and he turned around. Miss Parker motioned for him to come inside and change too.

        She hopped over to the front seat and let Ethan change at the back. After they were both dry, Ethan climbed over to the driver's seat. He picked up the cell phone he had left on the dashboard.

        "Who are you calling?" she asked in a raspy voice.

        "A friend of mine. He works in the morgue and owes me a favour." He saw her nod once. Taking that as her consent, he dialed the number and waited for the man to pick up. "Yes, Chuck. It's Ethan. I need a favour. Could you keep a body there without anyone asking questions? Good. I'll be there in half an hour. Do you have some clothes for women? Get whatever you have there. And Chuck? Thanks."

        Ethan disconnected the call. "Well, now we have a place to keep him."

        "Good," she answered in a dejected tone.

        Ethan started the car and they drove along in silence. He glanced at her and saw tears rolling down her cheeks. He also saw her face set with determination. It seemed as if she had a plan in mind. Whatever it was, he knew he would be behind her one hundred per cent.

        Half an hour later they pulled into Chuck's Funeral Home. The rain had eased a bit. Standing in front the door was a short middle-aged man holding an umbrella. He rushed out to meet Ethan and told him to drive to the back of the Home where they would be able to take the body into the morgue unseen and to park in the garage.

        Ethan quickly pulled into the garage and got out, happy to not be in the rain. A moment later Chuck came bustling out of the door. He gave Chuck a grateful smile and introduced him to Miss Parker.

        "Pleased to meet you," said Chuck. He took in Miss Parker's disheveled form in the jeep. "I believe you were the one Ethan had asked me to find some women's clothing for. Just go through that door and you'll see some lying on a chair. The bathroom is two doors down from that chair."

        Miss Parker opened the door and placed her bare feet on the cold dusty concrete of the garage. Chuck watched transfixed as she moved gracefully despite the attire she wore. The white shirt was too big for her and her shoulder peeked through the neck hole, exposing a black bra strap. The shirt stopped mid-way of her thighs, no higher than when she wore one of her skirts.

        "Thank you," she mumbled before disappearing inside.

        "So that's the Miss Parker you and Jarod spoke so highly of. Can see why Jarod was absolutely starry-eyed when he spoke of her." Chuck wolf whistled. "She's beautiful and has some gorgeous legs too!"

        "Hey, that's my sister. Be careful."

        "Okay, okay. I was just making an observation. I'm a happily married man!" He laughed it off, holding his hands defensively in front of him. Sobering, he asked, "Where's the body?"

        "In the back." Ethan walked to the back of the jeep and pulled open the door.

        Chuck sidled up to him and gasped. "That's Jarod," he whispered.

        "Yeah. Remember the place we were telling you about less than five days ago? They did this. I just need you to keep him for a few days."

        "Anything for you two. He was only here a few days, but it felt as if he was my brother. The way he helped my family find our son...I'm sorry it had to end this way."

        "So am I. He and Miss Parker finally found some happiness in each other...and then this happened."

        Chuck sighed deeply. "We'd better get him in there." The two men took him inside and placed him in a stainless-steel freezer. The task took all of seven minutes. They made their way back to the garage to shut the doors of the jeep, both lost in their own thoughts.

        Chuck shattered the silence. "So what are you going to do now?"

        "To be honest, I'm not certain what we're going to do." Ethan ran a hand through his damp hair.

        "Well, I hope those people pay for what they did to Jarod."

        "Oh, they will," stated Miss Parker. She walked towards the two men re-dressed. She had found a simple form-fitting button-down white shirt and black hip-huggers. How she managed to make such a simple outfit seem like her patented designer clothing was beyond Ethan's comprehension. Her Ice Queen mask was firmly back in place as was her hair. She stalked over to the jeep and opened the door to the back seat. Pulling out her black shoes, she placed them on. She was now a full head taller than her half-brother.

        "The clothes fit perfectly Chuck. How did you manage to get such a vast selection of women's clothing?"

        He blushed. "Well, considering the male to female ratio in my family is two to four...they sometimes visit here and change, and then leave some of their stuff behind. It all has to do with here being closer to school and the mall than from our home," he finished with a shrug.

        She smirked. "We'll come back for Jarod later."

        "Not a problem," said Chuck.

        "Thanks again Chuck."

        "Don't mention it Ethan. It's the least I could do." Chuck's eyes turned to steel. "Make sure they pay."

        "They'll wish they never heard of me," growled Miss Parker. "Ethan, let's go. I'm driving."

        Ethan threw the keys to her and then took the passenger seat without question. Miss Parker started the jeep and they pulled out of the garage and were on the road in no time, rain still beating mercilessly against the windshield.

        And in the early hours of the morning, Miss Parker revealed her plan to Ethan. He just smiled wickedly.

======

How are you liking it so far? Or hating it, depending on your point of view -- please don't hate me 'cause I killed Jarod. I never said that he would bring The Centre down -- only that he would get those he cared for out of it. I already warned it was gonna be angsty. Let me know your views at j_angelgadd_amt@hotmail.com or leave a review by hitting that little button that says 'Go'.

Chapter 4 by DOTLP

A/N -- To those of you who stuck with me to the end of this dismal little rambling thing I pass of as a fanfic, Thank You. I appreciate all the reviews. So just sit back, relax and enjoy this...it's the final part! Oh, and the story is after the 'Additional A/N' just in case you wish to skip it since it is kinda long. And no, I don't want to place it at the end of the fic. Something important is in there...somewhere.

Additional A/N -- I can't say that the negative reaction towards the death of Jarod was unexpected. What bothers me now is how come it only bothers certain readers in this particular story? No one ever seemed to mind when I've killed him in other fanfics. Also, no one seemed to mind when I killed Mr. Parker or Lyle. One can certainly understand my bewilderment and I would appreciate it very much if someone would be kind enough to explain it to me, seeing as my grey matter cannot comprehend this particular aspect of human behaviour.

Now, allow me to explain to you why I killed him. In my opinion, when a (main) character dies or is killed -- whether it be in fanfiction, movies or novels -- it lends a certain amount of weight to another character's actions. Why do you think certain movies like Gladiator and Dragonfly were so good? Because the 'good guy' or someone important to the main character was killed. Why do you think the Harry Potter books are so wonderfully accepted? Because Harry's parents (among other characters, as discovered in the fifth novel) were killed and it makes the reader sympathise with what he has to go through. Why do you think To Kill A Mockingbird (the movie and book) was critically acclaimed? If Tom Robinson were not wrongly accused and then killed, how else would it have been a moving story? How else were you to see the unfairness and cruelty of the world? As much as we would love the world to work fairly, the truth is, it doesn't. Good does not always triumph over evil. So by my killing Jarod, it lends a certain amount of weight to Miss Parker's actions and spurs her into performing those actions -- which she wouldn't have done otherwise. Also, you see the unfairness and cruelty of The Centre. You also are more aware of the tragic lives Jarod and Miss Parker  have led and have to lead. You also become more eager to sympathise with Miss Parker and accept her feelings of sorrow, anger, hatred and revenge. She now has a reason or a motive to act the way she does instead of just doing them simply because she can.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is my justification for what has happened. I cannot and will not change it, as much as you wish I would do so. You have also learned a bit about the way I perceive things to be. I make no claim that it is correct, only that it is the way I feel. I am also, in no way, forcing you to accept the way I think of things. You are more than welcome to disagree with me. As said by Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

All I can hope for now is that you would be able to look past Jarod's death and see what elements that move has brought into the story.

If you actually took the time to read through my pre-amblings, the story awaits below. And yes, I AM evil. *maniacal laughter*

 

Concrete Angel
Part 4

by DOTLP

 

"But I'll be with you wherever you go
So you will never be alone.
I'm going where the wind blows,
I'm going where the lost ones go."
[Sissel Kyrkjebo; Where the Lost Ones Go]

======

        Sydney took a seat at his desk and sipped his morning coffee, his brow furrowed with worry. The last time he had seen Miss Parker was on Friday of last week. It was now Tuesday and she still hadn't made an appearance at work. When he had tried calling her, he could never get in contact with her.

        Broots had been extremely worried about her and had confessed his fears to the psychiatrist. He knew Miss Parker wasn't one to take vacations, so her unexplained absence was weighing heavily on his mind, the same way it was on Sydney's. He remembered the technician's words: "This is The Centre Sydney, and I don't trust anything. Raines might have even ordered her death. Who knows?"

        With a heavy sigh, he placed his cup down on the desk and noticed a sheet of paper which had been folded in half with his name written across it. It was in Miss Parker's flowing handwriting.

        Relieved that she didn't seem to be dead, and more than a bit curious, he unfolded it and read its contents: 'Sydney, I've placed a key in the top drawer of your desk. It opens a safety deposit box at Dovertown National Bank. Open it and take everything you see there. Use the travel documents that have the final destination as Galveston, Texas. You'll also find new identities for you, Broots, Debbie, and Angelo to use with those tickets. They're to help you disappear from The Centre without them following your trail. I need you to get yourself, Broots and Debbie out of Blue Cove today. Have Cousin It use the ventilation systems to get out the same place Jarod had used to escape -- much easier getting him out that way. Then collect him and all four of you will meet me in Texas. When you reach there, destroy those identities. Someone will be there to meet you. You'll know who when you see them. As soon as you read this, LEAVE. I'm going to end this game once and for all! And be careful.'

        The old man heeded her orders and grabbed his jacket. He hurried to find Broots and showed him the note. He watched as his friend's eyes widened.

        "You heard her. Let's get the ball rolling," said Broots. Together, they went in search of Angelo.

        After finalising their plans, all three men left The Centre in less than an hour. Sitting behind the wheel, Sydney said, "Let's go get Debbie." They raced down the road. The same question wandered across Sydney and Broots' minds: What, exactly, did Miss Parker have in mind to do?

        Angelo sat in the back with an enigmatic smile. He had seen when Miss Parker had crept into The Centre last night through the air ducts and had followed her to Raines' office and then Sydney's. Before she left, she had spoken to him. He had felt her pain at having lost Jarod and she had made him promise not to tell Sydney or Broots or Debbie that Jarod was dead. She had also told him to listen to what Sydney and Broots would tell him to do the next day. It was important.

        The empath had kept his promise to her because last night it was the little girl who had been his friend that was speaking -- not the cruel woman she pretended to be, but the one who had shared his pain after finding out he was no longer Timmy.

        She had also asked him to give her all the DSAs he had and to remove the footage The Centre had of her coming in that night. She also asked him to remove all things pertaining to herself, Jarod, his family, Sydney, Broots, Debbie and himself. And he had done what she asked without question or hesitation. She had squeezed his knee, and then crawled away with the DSAs in tow.

        He still wasn't certain what she was going to do, but he was certain that it was going to be bad for The Centre.

        He pulled a box of Cracker Jacks from his coat and opened it. He happily ate the treat he had received from Daughter while fishing around inside for the prize.

======

        The late Tuesday-afternoon sun shone through the windows lending the room an eerie glow. Most of the Centre employees had left for the day.

        A raspy voice spoke up as he swivelled his chair around to face the man seated in front his desk. "So you mean to tell me that Jarod and Miss Parker were together?" He steepled his fingers beneath his chin, waiting for an answer.

        "Yes, Mr. Raines," answered Willie. He shifted a bit uncomfortably in his chair and continued. "I was able to follow her Friday night. When she pulled into Saint John's Cathedral, I thought it was just some sort of ritual, the way she just stood staring at the building. But then she started moving, so I decided to stay a while. It turned out to be a rendezvous with Jarod.

        "I almost lost her when she entered the woods, since she kept looking back as if she suspected someone were following her. So I eased up and let her get a good twenty-minute head start. After that, I headed in the direction she took.

        "That place was so dark and I thought I had lost her for sure. But then I saw where she was when the lightning flashed. She was kissing Jarod. I pulled my gun and waited for a flash of lightning to take aim. I did have it focused on Miss Parker, and then fired three shots when the light died away. I didn't mean to shoot Jarod, but somehow they moved in the few seconds between my taking aim and the time it took before I pulled the trigger. So Jarod was where Miss Parker had been and..."

        Willie failed to see the scowl that was gradually widening on Raines' face at hearing a detailed story he wasn't that interested in. The only thing that mattered to him was that Miss Parker was still alive and that spelled trouble for The Centre...especially after all that had happened to her. He had noticed her fierce sense of loyalty, and was not prepared to handle it's repercussions. Her sense of justice was not something he wanted to deal with either.

        His anger barely controlled, Raines interrupted, "Yes, you shot him. You were to shoot Miss Parker, NOT Jarod! And even if you killed Jarod, you were not to let her live. Why didn't you take a gun with night scopes?"

        "Because it would have caused too much suspicion."

        "Normally, yes. But the bloody place was deserted! It was close to midnight! And were you certain she didn't see you?"

        "Yes, sir. One hundred per cent certain she didn't see me. All she did was start shooting in my direction, but I had already started running back to my car."

        "That should be some small relief." He breathed deeply trying to quell his anger. It would do him no good to get worked up and unable to formulate a plan. He massaged his temples. After a few moments he started to relax.

        The phone chose that moment to ring. He picked it up after the third ring. The voice that greeted him on the other line shattered any semblance of tranquility he had achieved.

        "You wheezing bastard." Her tone was low and icy.

        "Miss Parker, how nice to hear from you." He glanced at Willie and signalled for him to start a trace.

        "Don't bother trying to trace me. I'm routed through so many servers, that you won't be able to find me for a month."

        Raines motioned Willie to forget it and to re-take his seat. "To what do I owe this pleasure then, traitor?" rasped Raines.

        She let out a short harsh bark of laughter. "You're one to be speaking about being a traitor. You fooled my mother into believing that you were helping her and then you killed her after she gave you what you wanted."

        "Ah, yes. It was rather satisfying to take your mother's life. The same way I'll take yours."

        "The next time you send one of your monkeys to finish me or the ones I hold dear, you had better make damn sure that I'm dead. You don't want to mess with me," she threatened.

        Raines' eyes burned into Willie's and he mouthed the words 'She saw you.' He watched as Willie squirmed beneath his gaze. "What do you want?" he finally asked.

        "I already have what I want. I have all the evidence I would ever need to bring The Centre down. It's a good thing you people are so keen on recording everything. The Triumvirate wouldn't be pleased to be brought out in the spotlight, so they'll deny ever being associated with The Centre. The authorities will keep such a close eye on them that they would never have the guts to re-open another think-tank."

        She paused for a second before continuing. "And since Mister Parker is gone, The Centre seems to be falling apart a lot faster. There is no Lyle to take over, so the castle is weaker now. The only block I need to remove now...is you, and then the whole thing crumbles."

        "You think you have it all figured out don't you?"

        "I know I do."

        "And how and where did you get the DSAs from?"

        "From one of your creations 'Doctor' Raines...Remember Timmy?"

        "How could I forget?"

        "Tell Willie that I don't make the same mistakes he does."

        "What's that supposed to mean?"

        "Let's just say that you trained Ethan well," she answered.

        "Go to hell!"

        "You first!" she spat venomously. "If I were you, I'd watch where my ass is."

        She had hung up before he could get in another word. He got up and quietly checked under his chair. Willie went over to join him. After a few seconds he pulled a little black box out triumphantly. The digits on it glowed bright red.

        They had no time to move and both men swore loudly.

        Three...two...one...BOOM!

        The explosion was huge. Glass from the windows shattered and everything in Raines' office became charred. The sound resonated throughout the building, making Hell's foundations quiver.

        Ten minutes away sirens could be heard as fire engines and police cars barrelled towards the smoking building perched on the hill.

======

        "The incident in Blue Cove, Delaware is still under investigation by local authorities. Yesterday afternoon, at approximately five forty three, the charred building you see behind me was blown up. However," stated the news reporter, "there were no injuries and only two deaths discovered. Police believe this to be the work of some person who had a grudge against the two dead persons. The police are not revealing any more details at this time."

        The reporter pressed her hand to her ear and said, "Hold a moment. A trusted source has just revealed that the police have found incriminating evidence against the people that had worked there. Among many of the atrocities committed was kidnapping, experimenting on children and killing. The evidence found warrants investigation from the FBI..."

        Miss Parker switched the television off and glanced at Ethan. She had asked Ethan to destroy The Centre mainframe in such a way that it would be impossible for anyone to ever re-construct it -- she had said that she didn't want there to be any mention of them. The only things left there were manilla folders with loathsome information about projects performed by Raines and others.

        She had also changed the flight documents Jarod had originally planted in safety deposit box number 367. She had formed another plan -- which had included the downfall of the Centre and blackmailing of The Triumvirate.

        "I need to get some things, so we'll make a stop at my place before we get Jarod and head over to Texas. He deserves a proper burial," said Miss Parker.

        "First stop, your place, then Jarod. Not a problem." After a moment of thought, he began quietly, "I'm sorry you two never had the chance to be together. You would have made each other so happy."

        "We would have. But now he's free...and so are we." She squeezed his hand lovingly before quickly letting go.

        Ethan smiled at her, and saw the pain in her eyes and heard the sadness in her voice through her brave words. He understood it, because her feelings were mirrored in his. Together, they picked up their bags and headed out the door in companionable silence.

        Unwittingly, she had fulfilled the prophecy that had been written on the scrolls now lying at the bottom of the sea. Jarod had only been able to read a part of it before Mr. Parker had rolled them up and jumped from the plane. If he had been able to read further, he would have found out a lot more:

        "The Centre shall rise. The chosen will be found, a boy named Jarod and a girl called Angel. Together, they will be unstoppable and make The Centre one of the most powerful and helpful organisations the world will ever know. But woe be unto them that try to destroy them both, for then, The Centre will cease to exist. Kill one of them and the one left alive will take revenge for what has been done to them their whole lives. The one left alive will make the towers of The Centre crumble, never to rise again. Take heed."

        And, indeed, The Centre had crumbled. But not without price on Miss Parker's part or Jarod's part. Once again, by the hands of The Centre, Miss Parker's heart crumbled. And Jarod's life had been stolen, again.

======

        The warm sun shone down on the eleven people gathered together at Galveston Public cemetery. A better Sunday morning couldn't have been asked for.

        The priest made his closing remarks before allowing Jarod's friends and relatives to give their eulogy. Jarod's mother, father and sister expressed their sorrow at not being able to get the chance to know their son and brother, especially since The Centre would be no more than a memory in a while. His clone, Ryan, said nothing. What could he have said? He was barely able to stifle his sobs.

        Angelo and Debbie stood side by side. They had become quick friends and she had helped Angelo adjust to a new world. Debbie held Angelo's hand as he cried for Jarod -- one of his few friends in the cold, dark, uncaring world that was The Centre.

        Sydney glanced in Ethan's direction. The young man's cheeks were covered in tears. The psychiatrist caught Ethan's eyes and motioned for him to go ahead. Ethan shook his head. He couldn't make any words pass his throat.

        Sydney nodded in understanding and started speaking. "I know that my words could never truly express the sorrow I feel for not having helped return Jarod to you Major and Margaret. I'm sorry that you never had the opportunity to watch Jarod grow into a man. I'm even more sorry that you won't get to know him as an adult." He saw them smile reassuringly at him through their tears.

        "Jarod was as dear to me as a son. Even though he was in such a hateful place, he never lost his humanity. He had so much love for people." He had to choke back a sob that was threatening to escape. Sydney composed himself before continuing. "He lived his life out of The Centre the same way he lived it when he was in it: constantly helping others. He will be missed terribly." The psychiatrist nodded that he was finished.

        Broots cleared his throat before starting. "I didn't know Jarod as well as Sydney or Miss Parker. But from the few times I met him, I learned that he cared deeply for his friends and the well-being of others. He also believed in justice. I will be forever grateful to him for helping me to gain custody of my daughter. If there is such a place as heaven, then that would be where Jarod is now. And he would continue to watch over us." He walked back and joined Debbie. He squeezed her shoulders.

        The person left to speak was Miss Parker. Amazingly, she was the most composed person there. She walked slowly towards the casket, then turned to face all that were gathered there.

        She sighed, and looked over her shoulders before beginning. She glimpsed her mother and Jarod on either side of her, each placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. She smiled and silently thanked her mother for inheriting her Inner Sense. She faced the waiting crowd.

        "Jarod and I have spent our entire lives searching for the truth -- and even though it always looked like we were on opposite sides, we were the same. We were finally able to admit to each other what we've both felt and denied for so long, only to have it snatched away from us."

        Miss Parker paused for a moment, then started quietly, "I can recall a statement made by Walter Winchell. He said: 'A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.' That was who Jarod was. He was my friend who was always there...even during the most difficult times of my life. No matter how much I pushed him away, he was always there." Her mind quickly drew back to the moment in front of Ocee's fireplace.

        She sucked in a shuddering breath. "I remember him telling me that it didn't matter how much the world was changing, because it always remained the same for us. We were still in it alone. He was wrong." She looked over her left shoulder. "You were wrong." All present thought she was speaking to his coffin, no one seeing what she was able to. Not even Ethan.

        "In the last moments of your life, you weren't alone. We weren't alone. We had found the happiness that was denied us for too long. And for those precious moments in time, I will always remember you and keep you close to my heart." She felt a feather-light kiss being placed on her cheek and slightly turned her head to the left. A wistful smile crossed her face as she turned around to see the Pretender. She watched as Jarod gave her a smile and then turned and disappeared.

        Her mother held her hand for a moment before vanishing. Miss Parker's hand lightly touched her left cheek and then dropped quickly to the side. The other mourners heard her whisper 'Goodbye' before turning around to face them. She silently made her way over to Sydney. He grasped her hand in his and was happy when she didn't pull it away. Instead, he felt her give his hand a light squeeze.

        They watched in silence as Jarod's casket was lowered into the ground. A stray tear fell from Miss Parker's eyes and she brushed it away quickly.

        And that was it. That was the end.

        The group headed out together. Broots was the first to speak. "Miss Parker, what do we do now?"

        "The Centre is destroyed. We can do...whatever we want." A small smile played on her lips at the thought of finally having the freedom to do anything.

        "Are you certain that The Triumvirate won't try anything?" voiced the Major.

        "Let's just say they received a warning from me," started Miss Parker. "They know that I have all the evidence in the world to end their existence. They wouldn't even think of doing anything to us. Besides, they're already in the spotlight with the investigations into The Centre. We don't even need to change identities, since nobody from The Centre would be coming after us. All the evidence that would be found would have no mention of any of us...thanks to Angelo."

        They were silent a while as they processed the information they had just received.

        "You're welcome to stay with us," offered Emily.

        "Yeah," piped in Ryan. "You can have my room," he finished shyly.

       "Thanks kid, but I don't think I want to intrude on your family," replied Miss Parker, noticing just how much the young man looked like Jarod -- although he lacked the confidence Jarod had possessed at his age.

        "Nonsense," scolded Margaret. "We'd be more than happy to have you. Without you, we wouldn't have been here. You could tell us about Jarod."

        "I think I'll leave that to Syd," she responded after a moment's thought. "I need to go away for a while...to come to term with things in my own time. Then I'll come back and we can talk."

        "That's understandable," said Charles.

        Debbie's hands snaked around Miss Parker's waist. "I'm going to miss you."

        Miss Parker gently stroked the young girl's hair. "I promise I'll be back in no time. Keep your father in line for me. And burn all those nauseating Hawaiian print shirts of his." Debbie chuckled, then let go.

        Angelo sidled up to her and clumsily embraced her. He whispered, "Daughter will be okay."

        "Yeah Angelo, I will be," she whispered back. She let him go. "So what will you guys be doing?" she asked, addressing Broots and Sydney.

        They glanced at each other then towards Margaret and Charles. Sydney said, " We were hoping to stay here for a spell...if that's alright with you two."

        Major Charles draped an arm across his wife's shoulders. "We'd be more than happy for you guys to stay with us a while." The Major had lost the resentment he had for Sydney after he got to know the psychiatrist after picking the group up from the airport at Ethan's request. If it weren't for Sydney, Jarod would never have been the man that he was, he had reasoned. He had also decided that Sydney was as close as he was going to get to knowing his son now. When Miss Parker returned, he was going to get to play a game of Twenty Questions with her.

        "Well, I'll see you all later," Miss Parker said as she stepped into her car.

        "What are you going to do now?" asked Ethan.

        A soft smile played on her lips as she remembered the promise she made to Jarod. "I'm going to live." She shifted the car into gear and drove away.

        All the others made their way back to Major Charles' residence. They still had lives to lead. And this time, they could do it without fear of The Centre destroying it. They no longer had to run and hide.

        A gentle breeze stirred some fallen leaves at the cemetery. Inscribed on Jarod's tombstone were the words of Jane Swan:

"And I will remember you.
Crying, singing, laughing.
Always there. Always kind.
My friend through all my problems."

======

        The sudden chill creeping up her body caused her to break free from her silent reverie. She sat up and was greeted by a breath-taking view as the subtle hues of pinks, blues and lilacs shifted across the late afternoon sky creating a gorgeous mosaic.

        Finally tearing her gaze away from the sky, Miss Parker looked around to find herself alone. The coconut branch the children had used to play beach cricket lay discarded to her right.

        She made no move to leave. A story she had read as a child ran through her mind. She couldn't remember it all, but the part she did remember told of why the sea was salty. According to the story, the world was created by a group of gods and goddesses who lived in a sky kingdom by the name of Ciel. Different parts of the creation were to be done by different gods and goddesses. One was to deal with the formation of the earth, another with the water masses, another with plants, another with animals, another with light and darkness and another with people.

        The one in charge of the water masses was called Hiedro. He favoured one of his servants dearly and gave her the name Joie. Joie was also a very curious person and looked through the holes in the sky to see how the new world was being created. One day, she peered through a hole and leaned over too much. She fell, never to be found again. Hiedro had seen when she fell, but had no power to save her. The power of life, death and time belonged to another. There was no way that he would have helped save Joie for him -- after all, she was just a servant.

        Hiedro had rushed to the hole. He leaned over and wept. He stayed in that position for several days, none of the other gods and goddesses daring to go near him. His salty tears splashed onto the earth, filling the oceans.

        Miss Parker's eyes welled with tears. She too had lost someone very dear to her -- many 'someones' in fact. The latest in the long list was Jarod. Away from the eyes of the world, she finally allowed herself to grieve properly for him. Her tears fell into the shallow waves still lapping against her, mixing forever with the brine of the sea. And for a fleeting moment she wondered if she hadn't cried enough in her lifetime to fill a lake.

======

        They hadn't seen her for two weeks. All they received was a postcard with Miss Parker written on it. There was no other message. At least they knew she was in Antigua and was still alive.

        They all gathered together that evening in the den, just talking and playing games. It had become a ritual for them, and they each wondered how they had ever lived without that small constant.

        Margaret broke away from the game of Monopoly to answer the doorbell. She opened the door, and gasped in surprise. The light from the foyer filtered onto the doorstep. Standing there, dressed in a lilac silk blouse and black mini-skirt was Miss Parker, a tan leather coat draped around her shoulders. Some things never changed.

        Margaret moved to grab Miss Parker in a crushing hug before tugging her into the house. Margaret shouted to the others. "Guess who's here!"

        Ethan was the first to come out of the den. "Miss Parker!" Her half-brother ran towards her and hugged her. In less than twenty seconds she was crushed by all the people that were more of a family to her than she would ever admit out loud to anyone.

        They ushered her into the den. The first question came from Angelo. "What have you been doing?"

        She smiled at him before softly replying, "Living."

THE END

======

And there it is ladies and gentlemen, in all its finished glory! See? It was sort of happy. And I know you're not buying what I just said, cause I'm not either. Anyway, I'd love to know what you think. Tell me anything -- good or bad. I can take it. Send my way at j_angelgadd_amt@hotmail.com or use the review button on the page.

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=102